Genomes and Genes
Summary: A variant of well-differentiated epidermoid carcinoma that is most common in the oral cavity, but also occurs in the larynx, nasal cavity, esophagus, penis, anorectal region, vulva, vagina, uterine cervix, and skin, especially on the sole of the foot. Most intraoral cases occur in elderly male abusers of smokeless tobacco. The treatment is surgical resection. Radiotherapy is not indicated, as up to 30% treated with radiation become highly aggressive within six months. (Segen, Dictionary of Modern Medicine, 1992)
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Cyclin D1 expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma and verrucous carcinoma: correlation with histological differentiationPunnya V Angadi
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and Microbiology, S D M College of Dental Sciences, Dharwad, Karnataka, India
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e30-5. 2007To assess the expression of cyclin D1 in oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC) and verrucous carcinoma (VC), to compare its expression in both of these carcinomas, and to investigate the possible correlation of cyclin D1 expression in ..
- Effective eradication of oral verrucous carcinoma with continuous intraarterial infusion chemotherapyChih Fung Wu
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Head Neck 30:611-7. 2008We evaluated the effectiveness of intraarterial methotrexate infusion as a primary therapy for oral verrucous carcinoma (VC).
- Three cases of verrucous carcinomaG Dogan
Department of Dermatology, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Australas J Dermatol 39:251-4. 1998b>Verrucous carcinoma of the skin and mucosa is an uncommon clinicopathological variant of low grade squamous cell carcinoma. Here, we present three different clinical types of verrucous carcinoma...
- Prevalence of human papillomavirus DNA sequences in verrucous carcinoma of the lip: genomic and therapeutic approachesTsuyoshi Mitsuishi
Department of Dermatology, Nippon Medical School, 1 1 5, Sendagi, Bunkyou ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Cancer Lett 222:139-43. 2005We examined the presence of human papillomavirus (HPV) DNA sequences in tissues of verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the lip...
- A huge verrucous carcinoma of the lower lip treated with intra-arterial infusion of methotrexateM C Sheen
Br J Dermatol 151:727-9. 2004
- Treatment results of oral verrucous carcinoma and its biological behaviorA Ogawa
First Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Iwate Medical University, 1 3 27 Chuo dori, Morioka 020 8505, Japan
Oral Oncol 40:793-7. 2004The biologic behavior of and optimal treatment for oral verrucous carcinoma (VC) remain controversial. We analyzed the clinicopathological characteristics of 12 patients with oral VC...
- The man behind the eponym: Lauren V. Ackerman and verrucous carcinoma of AckermanCharles Steffen
Am J Dermatopathol 26:334-41. 2004..membrane, which he thought represented a unique type of squamous cell carcinoma and that is now termed verrucous carcinoma of Ackerman...
- Human papillomavirus infection in oral verrucous carcinoma: genotyping analysis and inverse correlation with p53 expressionShuichi Fujita
Division of Oral Pathology and Bone Metabolism, Unit of Basic Medical Sciences, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki, Japan
Pathobiology 75:257-64. 2008b>Verrucous carcinoma (VC) is a rare subtype of squamous cell carcinoma, occurring mostly in oral mucosa...
- Orbital metastasis from verrucous carcinoma of the oral cavity: case report and review of the literatureIoannis Asproudis
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of loannina, Greece
In Vivo 21:909-12. 2007A rare case of metastatic verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the oral cavity is presented. The patient was referred to the Ophthalmology Department due to diplopia...
- Surgical treatment of oral verrucous carcinomaChung Jan Kang
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei
Chang Gung Med J 26:807-12. 2003The aim of this study was to evaluate the outcome of patients with Verrucous carcinoma (VC) of oral cavity treated at the Chung Gung Memory Hospital with respect to the tumor control rates after surgery, the risk of lymph node metastasis ..
- [Verrucous carcinoma--histological and molecular analysis]Katarzyna Godlewska-Zoładkowska
Klinika Otolaryngologii AM w Białymstoku
Otolaryngol Pol 57:793-7. 2003..morphologic assessment of verruous carcinoma and the presence of HPV infection in patients suffered from verrucous carcinoma of laeynxd in the Department of Otolaryngology Medical Academy of Bialystok in years 2000-2002...
- Verrucous carcinoma of the buccal mucosa: histopathological, cytological and DNA-cytometric featuresDimitra Maraki
Department of Oral Surgery, Heinrich Heine University, Duesseldorf, Germany
J Oral Pathol Med 35:633-5. 2006We describe a patient with an exophytic oral lesion diagnosed as verrucous carcinoma. The lesion existed without metastases, at least 5 years. Local excisions led to recurrences and continuous expansion...
- Recalcitrant verrucous lesion: verrucous hyperplasia or epithelioma cuniculatum (verrucous carcinoma)Shahrooz S Kelishadi
Department of General Surgery, University of Maryland, Baltimore, USA
J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 96:148-53. 2006..before presentation, a biopsy of the lesion, performed at another institution, had indicated a probable verrucous carcinoma. After preoperative workup, the patient underwent resection of the lesion, with clear margins and full-..
- Surgical outcome in patients with oral verrucous carcinoma: long-term follow-up in an endemic betel quid chewing areaTung Tsun Huang
Department of Otolaryngology, Buddhist Tzu Chi General Hospital, Taipei Branch, Taipei, Taiwan
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 71:323-8. 2009To evaluate the clinical features and prognosis of patients with oral verrucous carcinoma (OVC) in an endemic betel quid chewing area.
- Intraosseous verrucous carcinoma originating from an odontogenic cyst: a case reportNooshin Mohtasham
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
J Oral Sci 50:91-4. 2008..In this paper, we report an extremely rare case in which, verrucous carcinoma originated from an odontogenic cyst...
- Plantar verrucous carcinoma continues to be mistaken for verruca vulgarisPaul K Wright
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1101-3. 2004
- Oral verrucous carcinoma: a retrospective study in São Paulo Region, BrazilDenise Tostes Oliveira
Department of Stomatology, Area of Pathology, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, São Paulo 17012 901, Brazil
Clin Oral Investig 10:205-9. 2006Oral verrucous carcinoma (OVC) is a rare variant of squamous cell carcinoma with a characteristic morphology and specific behavior...
- Verrucous carcinoma of the oral cavity: A clinical and pathological study of 101 casesRohan R Walvekar
Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Tata Memorial Hospital, Dr E Borges Marg, Parel, Mumbai 400012, India
Oral Oncol 45:47-51. 2009..and pathological predictors of local recurrence and disease-free survival (DFS) in patients with oral verrucous carcinoma (OVC) treated surgically, through a retrospective chart review...
- Treatment of verrucous carcinoma with topical imiquimodPeter C Schalock
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:S233-5. 2006
- Comparative study in the expression of p53, EGFR, TGF-alpha, and cyclin D1 in verrucous carcinoma, verrucous hyperplasia, and squamous cell carcinoma of head and neck regionMaoxin Wu
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 10:351-6. 2002b>Verrucous carcinoma (VC) is a locally invasive, nonmetastasizing variant of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) with distinct clinical and histologic features...
- Increased expression of c-erbB-3 protein and proliferating cell nuclear antigen during development of verrucous carcinoma of the oral mucosaK Sakurai
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Cancer 89:2597-605. 2000..transformation and of prognoses in patients with oral carcinoma, the authors examined the relation between the expression of c-erbB-3 protein and cell proliferation activity during the development of oral verrucous carcinoma (VC).
- HPV infection and immunochemical detection of cell-cycle markers in verrucous carcinoma of the penisElzbieta Stankiewicz
Centre for Molecular Oncology and Imaging, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK
Mod Pathol 22:1160-8. 2009Penile verrucous carcinoma is a rare disease and little is known of its aetiology or pathogenesis...
- Treatment of verrucous carcinoma with imiquimod and CO2 laser ablationL M Heinzerling
University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Dermatology 207:119-22. 2003..Staging did not reveal any metastatic spread. Diagnosis of verrucous carcinoma or Buschke-Löwenstein tumor, respectively, was based on typical clinical and histologic features...
- Penile verrucous carcinoma successfully treated by intra-aortic infusion with methotrexateMaw Chang Sheen
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Urology 61:1216-20. 2003Penile verrucous carcinoma is characterized by aggressive local growth and a low metastatic potential...
- Verrucous carcinoma of the vulva in Turner syndromeIchiro Iwamoto
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagoshima University, 8 35 1 Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8520, Japan
Gynecol Oncol 92:380-3. 2004b>Verrucous carcinoma of the vulva in a patient with Turner syndrome is extremely rare.
- National survey of head and neck verrucous carcinoma: patterns of presentation, care, and outcomeB B Koch
Department of Otolaryngology--Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Cancer 92:110-20. 2001BACKGROUND: Verrucous carcinoma is distinguished by controversy regarding appropriate diagnosis and treatment. This study provides a contemporary survey of demographics, patterns of care, and outcome for this disease in the United States...
- Cytomorphology of verrucous carcinoma of the cervix. A case reportLiron Pantanowitz
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Acta Cytol 47:1050-4. 2003b>Verrucous carcinoma of the uterine cervix is rare. Cytology is thought not to be helpful in the diagnosis of this lesion due to its bland morphology. The cytologic features of this lesion remain poorly defined.
- Verrucous carcinoma of the larynx: determining the best treatment optionP Strojan
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institute of Oncology, Zaloska 2, SI 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Eur J Surg Oncol 32:984-8. 2006b>Verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the larynx is a rare variant of well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, characterized by locally invasive, exophytic warty growth...
- Treatment of verrucous hyperplasia and verrucous carcinoma by shave excision and simple cryosurgeryC J Yeh
Clinic of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taitung, Taiwan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 32:280-3. 2003Wide excision and skin or mucosa grafting has been the primary form of therapy for verrucous hyperplasia and verrucous carcinoma. But those with wide involvement often make the procedures complicated...
- Verrucous carcinoma of the scalpSean F Pattee
Department of Medicine, Division of Dermatology, University of Massachusetts Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:506-7. 2007b>Verrucous carcinoma is a distinctive form of low-grade squamous cell carcinoma. It typically involves the oral cavity, larynx, esophagus, and skin...
- Verrucous carcinoma arising within syringocystadenoma papilliferumNatalie Lama Monticciolo
Dermatology Department, Sun Coast Hospital Nova Southeastern, Largo, Florida, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 32:434-7. 2002..We report the second case of verrucous carcinoma in conjunction with SP.
- Giant condyloma versus verrucous carcinoma: a case reportClarissa Bambao
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Low Genit Tract Dis 14:230-3. 2010..The main differential diagnosis includes verrucous carcinoma. Differentiation between these 2 types of tumors is important with respect to treatment and prognosis...
- Aggressive verrucous carcinoma of the paranasal sinuses invading the orbit: case report and literature reviewJ Yiotakis
Otorhinolaryngology Department, Athens University, Ippokration General Hospital, Greece
J Laryngol Otol 123:e23. 2009b>Verrucous carcinoma is a variant of well differentiated squamous cell carcinoma characterised by an exophytic, warty growth which is slowly but locally invasive and which can cause extensive local destruction if left untreated.
- Verrucous carcinoma of the temporal boneLutfi Barlas Aydogan
Department of Otolaryngology, Cukurova University Medical Faculty, Adana, Turkey
Am J Otolaryngol 29:69-71. 2008b>Verrucous carcinoma is a highly differentiated variant of squamous cell carcinoma. In the literature, 11 cases of primary verrucous carcinoma of the temporal bone have been reported...
- Verrucous carcinoma of the foot associated with human papillomavirus type 16B J Schell
Department of Dermatology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 45:49-55. 2001BACKGROUND: We present 2 patients with verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the foot, a malignancy of unknown origin...
- Truths and myths about radiotherapy for verrucous carcinoma of larynxShao Hui Huang
Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 73:1110-5. 2009The role of primary radiotherapy (RT) for laryngeal verrucous carcinoma (LVC) is controversial because of concerns about anaplastic transformation, an increased incidence of metastases, and poorer local control after RT...
- Verrucous carcinoma arising in pseudoepitheliomatous keratotic and micaceous balanitis, without evidence of human papillomavirusF J Child
Skin Tumour Unit, St John s Institute of Dermatology, St Thomas Hospital, London SE1 7EH, U K
Br J Dermatol 143:183-7. 2000..is a condition which occurs on the glans penis of older men and may be associated with the development of a verrucous carcinoma. A role for human papillomavirus (HPV) in the aetiology of verrucous carcinoma has been implicated and ..
- Is primary radiotherapy an appropriate option for the treatment of verrucous carcinoma of the head and neck?A Ferlito
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Padua, Italy
J Laryngol Otol 112:132-9. 1998The literature on verrucous carcinoma of the head and neck was reviewed to analyse the use of primary radiation therapy in the treatment of this lesion. The results emphasize an overall local control rate of 43.2 per cent, and 6...
- Coexistence of verrucous and squamous carcinoma of the vulvaDimitrios Haidopoulos
1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens, Alexandra Hospital, Greece
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45:60-3. 2005..To evaluate the coexistence of verrucous and squamous carcinoma of the vulva and to assess the clinical course, survival and rate of recurrent disease of these patients...
- Proliferative verrucous leukoplakia and its progression to oral carcinoma: report of three casesThomas H Morton
Department of Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
J Oral Pathol Med 36:315-8. 2007..We present three cases of PVL that progressed to carcinoma and discuss the histopathologic findings that may either hinder or assist in the diagnosis...
- Immunohistochemical expression of Bax and Bcl-2 in penile carcinomaSadia Saeed
Department of Pathology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 35:91-6. 2005..Bax expression is comparable in verrucous and low-grade squamous cell carcinomas, but Bcl-2 expression of Bcl-2 is significantly higher in the squamous cell carcinomas...
- Prevalence of mucosal and cutaneous human papillomaviruses in different histologic subtypes of vulvar carcinomaMaurits N C de Koning
DDL Diagnostic Laboratory, Voorburg, The Netherlands
Mod Pathol 21:334-44. 2008..The HPV 16 intratypic variation showed correlation with patients' ethnic background. P16INK4a immunostaining seems to be a sensitive and specific marker of vulvar carcinomas positive for oncogenic mucosal HPVs...
- Frequent promoter hypermethylation of RASSF1A and p16INK4a and infrequent allelic loss other than 9p21 in betel-associated oral carcinoma in a Vietnamese non-smoking/non-drinking female populationTu Ngoc Tran
Molecular Pathology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 34:150-6. 2005..Betel-chewing, a risk factor for oral carcinoma, is a common habit of elderly Vietnamese females, but concomitant habits of tobacco and alcohol are uncommon...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the skinRoss Rudolph
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Scripps Clinic and at the University of California San Diego, La Jolla, Calif, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:82e-94e. 2004..This article concentrates on identifying those tumor subtypes and factors that may serve as predictors of high-risk status as well as on providing management suggestions...
- Hybrid verrucous-squamous cell carcinoma of the ovary with synchronous squamous cell carcinoma of the endometriumTiffany T Fancher
Department of Surgery, Saint Mary s Hospital, Waterburg, and University of Connecticut School of Medicine, CT 06706, USA
Int J Surg Pathol 16:91-5. 2008b>Verrucous carcinoma, a variant of well-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma, is usually described in the literature as arising in the oral cavity, skin, and larynx...
- Human papillomaviruses in oral squamous cell carcinoma and pre-cancerous lesions detected by PCR-based gene-chip arrayC W Luo
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Dentistry, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 36:153-8. 2007..244, CI = 0.9266-5.337, P = 0.1066). High-risk HPV types are prevalent in OSCC and may play a role in its progression, while low-risk types are associated with oral pre-cancerous lesions...
- Pseudoepitheliomatous, keratotic, and micaceous balanitis: case report and review of the literatureDanielle Perry
Stanford University, CA, USA
Dermatol Nurs 20:117-20. 2008..This condition is of uncertain malignant potential, and has been associated with progression to verrucous carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. The etiology of this condition is unknown...
- Vulvar acanthosis with altered differentiation: a precursor to verrucous carcinoma?Alessandra F Nascimento
Division of Women s and Perinatal Pathology, Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:638-43. 2004b>Verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the vulva is a rare variant of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) of the vulva that afflicts older women and is characterized by a well-differentiated morphology with minimal nuclear atypia...
- Oral and maxillofacial pathology case of the month. Verrucous carcinomaAnne Cale Jones
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Tex Dent J 125:622-3, 627. 2008
- Anterior lateral thigh flap for buccal mucosal defect after resection of buccal cancerHui Ching Chuang
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital Kaohsiung Medical Center, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:632-5. 2007..To preserve oral function after buccal cancer resection, a free anterior lateral thigh flap (ALTF) was used to cover the buccal mucosal defect...
- Successful treatment of oral verrucous hyperplasia and oral leukoplakia with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapyHsin Ming Chen
Department of Dentistry, National Taiwan University Hospital, No 1 Chang Te Street, Taipei 100, Taiwan
Lasers Surg Med 37:114-22. 2005..and successful treatment modality for five cases of oral verrucous hyperplasia (OVH) and one case of verrucous carcinoma. In this study, we treated eight OVH lesions with the same topical ALA-PDT protocol to further confirm the ..
- Clinical, pathological, cellular and molecular lesions caused by oral smokeless tobacco--a reviewK A A S Warnakulasuriya
Department of Oral Medicine and Pathology, WHO Collaborating Centre for Oral Cancer and Precancer, King s College Dental Institute at Guy s, King s and St Thomas Hospitals, London, UK
J Oral Pathol Med 36:63-77. 2007..Genetic aberrations caused by ST include activation of ras, uncommon in smokers but mutational hot spots in p53 encountered are similar to those in smokers...
- A case of penile verrucous carcinoma associated with cutaneous hornJ W Zhu
Clin Exp Dermatol 32:213-4. 2007
- Clinical and surgical aspects of vulvar reconstruction with tensor fasciae latae flaps after en bloc radical vulvectomyG Gorchev
Clinic of Gynecologic Oncolsogy, Oncologic Center, Medical University, Pleven, Bulgaria
J BUON 11:55-60. 2006..The aim of this study was to assess some clinico-surgical aspects of vulvar reconstruction with m. tensor fasciae latae flaps (TFL)...
- Histologic subtypes of oral squamous cell carcinoma: prognostic relevanceMichele Conceição Pereira
Department of Stomatology, Division of Pathology, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Can Dent Assoc 73:339-44. 2007..For example, basaloid SCC is an aggressive tumour and verrucous carcinoma has the lowest invasive and metastatic potential; however, the clinical and biologic course of these oral ..
- Acute visual loss in a head and neck cancer patient with ocular metastasis and sphenoid pyoceleKu Hao Fang
Department of Otolaryngology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Auris Nasus Larynx 34:569-71. 2007..Ocular metastases should always keep in mind when acute visual loss is encountered in patients with previously treated head and neck squamous cell carcinoma...
- Noninvasive squamous lesions in the urinary bladder: a clinicopathologic analysis of 29 casesCharles C Guo
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 401 N Broadway Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:883-91. 2006..Enhanced expression of EGFR in these bladder squamous lesions suggests that EGFR may represent a logic therapeutic target in those squamous lesions that are difficult to manage clinically...
- Aberrant promoter hypermethylation of p16 and MGMT genes in oral squamous cell carcinomas and the surrounding normal mucosaKeizo Kato
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Graduate School of Medicine, Gifu University, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu, 501 1194, Japan
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 132:735-43. 2006..The purpose of this study is to examine the hypermethylation status of p16 and MGMT genes in both oral cancers and normal mucosa, surrounding the cancers...
- Single free radial forearm flap for reconstruction of simultaneous head and neck cancersShih Hsin Chang
Department of Plastic Surgery, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:541-2. 2006
- Prognostic factors associated with the survival of oral and pharyngeal carcinoma in TaiwanPing Ho Chen
Division of Environmental Health and Occupational Medicine, National Health Research Institutes, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
BMC Cancer 7:101. 2007..Our aim is to identify the role of prognostic factors associated with the survival of oral and pharyngeal carcinoma in Taiwan...
- [Expression of matrix metalloproteinase 2 in oral verruvous carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma]Zhan gui Tang
Departerment of Oral and Maxillofacial Sturgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410008, China
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 30:650-2. 2005..To determine the expression of MMP2 mRNA in oral verruvous carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma...
- E-cadherin abnormalities resulting from CPG methylation promoter in metastatic and nonmetastatic oral cancerRenato Vieira de Moraes
Department of Stomatology, Area of Pathology, Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo, Al Dr Octavio Pinheiro Brizolla, 9 75, 17012 901, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Head Neck 30:85-92. 2008..This study aims to compare the alterations in the methylation profiles of E-cadherin in oral cancer, especially in tumors with lowest metatastic potential...
- Factors associated with underdiagnosis from incisional biopsy of oral leukoplakic lesionsJang Jaer Lee
School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:217-25. 2007..The aim of the present study was to investigate its reliability and analyze risk factors associated with underdiagnosis from incisional biopsy...
- [Experiences in treatment and follow up of 50 patients with penile cancer]Peter Riesz
Semmelweis Egyetem, Általános Orvostudományi Kar, Urológiai Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 148:1751-6. 2007..Malignant tumour of the penis is a rare disease. Although most of the cases are squamous cell carcinoma histologically, operation is managed by the urologist because of its location...
- Carcinoma and dysplasia in oral leukoplakias in Taiwan: prevalence and risk factorsJang Jaer Lee
School of Dentistry, National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 101:472-80. 2006..The aims of this study were to investigate the prevalence of carcinoma and dysplasia within oral leukoplakia at the time of clinical diagnosis and to identify the associated risk factors in Taiwan...
- Human papillomavirus in oral lesionsJoaquín V González
Servicio Virus Oncogénicos, Laboratorio Nacional de Referencia de Papilomavirus, Instituto Nacional de Enfermedades Infecciosas, ANLIS Dr Carlos G Malbran, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Medicina (B Aires) 67:363-8. 2007..9%. In cancer lesions, HPV detection in verrucous carcinoma was 88.9% and in squamous cell carcinoma 43.8%, with high-risk type rates of 75.5% and 85.6%, respectively...
- Penile carcinoma in patients with genital lichen sclerosus: a multicenter surveyG Barbagli
Center for Urethral and Genitalia Reconstructive Surgery, Florence, Italy
J Urol 175:1359-63. 2006..In this observational descriptive study we reviewed the histology and the clinical records of 130 patients with LS involving the male genitalia to determine the presence of premalignant or malignant lesions...
- Detection and expression of Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) DNA in tissues from penile tumors in BrazilGilda Alves
Servico de Hematologia, HC I, Instituto Nacional de Cancer, Pç da Cruz Vermelha, 23, 8 andar, 20230 130 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Cancer Lett 215:79-82. 2004..Expression of EBV protein LMP-1 was identified in tumor cells from two EBV PCR-positive tumors. Our findings indicate that EBV can be implicated in rising and/or progression of penile tumors independently of the histological type...
- [Precancerous lesions of the buccal mucosa]L Ben Slama
Service de Stomatologie et de Chirurgie Maxillo-Faciale, , 45, , 75013 Paris
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 102:77-108. 2001....
- [Pseudoepitheliomatous keratotic and micaceous balanitis]J M Bonnetblanc
Service de Dermatologie, CHRU Dupuytren, 2, avenue Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges Cedex
Ann Dermatol Venereol 130:485-6. 2003
- Leukoplakia and intraoral malignancies: female cases increase in GreeceA I Zavras
Department of Oral Health Policy and Epidemiology, Harvard University School of Dental Medicine, 188 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 17:25-7. 2003..In the developed world, intraoral malignancies are more frequent in males than females. Recent observations from Greece suggest that the number of females is increasing...
- Proliferative verrucous leukoplakia: report of a case with characteristic long-term progressionCraig E Vigliante
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 61:626-31. 2003
- [Causal association between human papilloma virus infection and head and neck and esophageal squamous cell carcinoma]Zoltan Szentirmay
Molekuláris Pathologiai Osztály, Országos Onkológiai Intézet, Budapest, H1122, Hungary
Magy Onkol 46:35-41. 2002..correspondence analysis, a segregation of specific virus types in specific clinico-pathologic lesions (verrucous carcinoma and basaloid squamous cell carcinoma) was proved...
- Penile cancer--surgical treatment of the primary tumorI Y Dechev
Medical University, Department of Urology, 15A Vassil Aprilov St, 4000 Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Folia Med (Plovdiv) 43:46-50. 2001..Penile amputations were significantly more than penile-preserving operations. DISCUSSION: Differentiation and tumor stage are paramount in the choice of surgical strategy for penile cancer...
- Shifts in cellular localization of moesin in normal oral epithelium, oral epithelial dysplasia, verrucous carcinoma and oral squamous cell carcinomaHiroichi Kobayashi
Department of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Research Center on Aging and Adaptation, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Asahi 3 11, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
J Oral Pathol Med 32:344-9. 2003..The purpose of the study is to assess the shifts in cellular distribution of moesin in normal oral epithelium, oral epithelial dysplasia (OED), verrucous carcinoma (VC), and oral squamous cell carcinoma (OSCC).
- [Proliferative verrucous leukoplakia. Report of five cases]P A Reichart
Abteilung für Oralchirurgie und zahnärztliche Röntgenologie, Zentrum für Zahnmedizin, Universitatsklinikum Charite, Humboldt Universitat, Berlin
Mund Kiefer Gesichtschir 7:164-70. 2003..AIM OF THE STUDY, MATERIAL AND METHODS: Due to the scarcity of reports on PVL five cases of PVL are presented. Clinical and histopathological findings in five female patients with PVL were evaluated retrospectively...
- Oral cancer and precancerous lesionsBrad W Neville
Department of Stomatology, College of Dental Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 52:195-215. 2002..The purpose of this article is to review the clinical features of oral cancer and premalignant oral lesions, with an emphasis on early detection...
- Oral cancer and United States presidentsEric R Carlson
Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 60:190-3. 2002
- Proliferative verrucous leukoplakia: high incidence of gingival squamous cell carcinomaJose V Bagan
Department of Stomatology, Oral Medicine, University General Hospital, Valencia University, Valencia, Spain
J Oral Pathol Med 32:379-82. 2003....
- Aggressive, multifocal oral verrucous leukoplakia: proliferative verrucous leukoplakia or not?Naseem Ghazali
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, 50300 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Oral Pathol Med 32:383-92. 2003..The aim of this study was to review the clinicopathological features of persistent, multifocal, oral verrucal lesions in Malaysian population...
- Immunohistochemical expression of Mdm2 and p53 in penile verrucous carcinomaAberrhandan Ouban
Department of Urology, University of South Florida College of Medicine and James Haley Veteran s Hospital, Tampa, Florida, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 33:101-6. 2003b>Verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the penis is an uncommon squamous tumor that pursues a biologically indolent course...
- Histologic classification of penile carcinoma and its relation to outcome in 61 patients with primary resectionA L Cubilla
, , Paraguay
Int J Surg Pathol 9:111-20. 2001..Penile carcinomas are morphologically heterogeneous, and there is a correlation of histologic type and biologic behavior. This mandates accurate histologic subtyping by the pathologist...
- Clinicopathologic features and human papillomavirus dna prevalence of warty and squamous cell carcinoma of the penisA L Bezerra
Departments of Pelvic Surgery, Hospital A.C. Camargo, Brazil
Am J Surg Pathol 25:673-8. 2001..5%) than SCC (16 of 60, 26.7%), although significance was not reached (p = 0.209). The results suggest that WC is less aggressive and confers a better prognosis than typical SCC of the penis...
- Contemporary management of penile cancer including surgery and adjuvant radiotherapy: an experience in TaiwanMiao Fen Chen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chiai, Taiwan
World J Urol 22:60-6. 2004..Of these 45 patients, five had verrucous carcinoma and the other 40 had squamous cell carcinoma...
- [Expression of E-cadherin gene protein in oral verrucous carcinoma]Zhan gui Tang
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha 410078, China
Hunan Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao 28:206-8. 2003To determine the relationship between E-cadherin over-expression and progression in oral verrucous carcinoma.
- Capecitabine induces rapid, sustained response in two patients with extensive oral verrucous carcinomaAnastasios Salesiotis
Lombardi Cancer Center, Georgetown University, Washington DC 20007, USA
Clin Cancer Res 9:580-5. 2003Oral verrucous carcinoma (VC) has been traditionally treated with surgery or radiation with frequent recurrences and significant morbidity...
- Specific serologic response to genital human papillomavirus types in patients with vulvar precancerous and cancerous lesionsKurt Heim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:1073-83. 2005..Human papillomavirus antibody reactivities to vulvar precancerous lesions were reported poorly, and the role of human papillomavirus in some of these lesions is still unclear...
- Betel quid chewing, oral cancer and other oral mucosal diseases in Vietnam: a reviewP A Reichart
Charite, Virchow Klinikum, Department of Oral Surgery and Dental Radiology, Berlin, Germany
J Oral Pathol Med 37:511-4. 2008..Respective online searches (PubMed, Medline) were negative...
- Oral cancer: a survey of 566 cases from the University of Connecticut Oral Pathology Biopsy Service, 1975-1986D J Krutchkoff
Department of Oral Diagnosis Pathology, University of Connecticut, Farmington
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 70:192-8. 1990..Minor salivary gland adenocarcinomas accounted for 11% of total malignancies whereas verrucous carcinoma, carcinoma in situ, and miscellaneous other forms of oral cancer accounted for the remainder (4.6%, 5...
- The men behind the eponym--Abraham Buschke and Ludwig Lowenstein: giant condyloma (Buschke-Loewenstein)Charles Steffen
Am J Dermatopathol 28:526-36. 2006..Later Lauren V. Ackerman described a similar neoplasm of the oral mucosa that he termed "verrucous carcinoma." I have previously reviewed that neoplasm, now referred to as "oral verrucous carcinoma of Ackerman...
- Verrucous carcinoma masquerading as a giant fibroepithelial polypStephen E Mercer
Division of Dermatopathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Int J Surg Pathol 18:347-51. 2010The authors report a case of a verrucous carcinoma (VC) of the buttocks clinically simulating a giant (6.5 cm in length and 5.4 cm in greatest diameter) fibroepithelial polyp (FEP) capped by a large cutaneous horn...
- [Intraepithelial capillary hemangioma?]E Grosshans
Clinique Dermatologique, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, France
Ann Dermatol Venereol 129:46-9. 2002..Histological examination of a biopsy of a lesion of the glans penis revealed blood capillaries within the malpighian epithelium...
- Oral verrucous carcinoma: a study of 12 casesAlper Alkan
Associate Professor, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Erciyes, Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Dent 4:202-7. 2010The purpose of this clinical study was to identify a clinical and histopathological relationship between verrucous hyperplasia, verrucous keratosis, and verrucous carcinoma.
- Laryngeal cancer in the United States: changes in demographics, patterns of care, and survivalHenry T Hoffman
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242, U S A
Laryngoscope 116:1-13. 2006..Survival has decreased among patients with laryngeal cancer during the past 2 decades in the United States. During this same period, there has been an increase in the nonsurgical treatment of laryngeal cancer...
- Penile cancerGiuseppe Micali
Department of Dermatology, University of Catania School of Medicine, Catania, Italy
J Am Acad Dermatol 54:369-91; quiz 391-4. 2006..penile cancers are in situ or invasive squamous cell carcinomas, including a well-differentiated variant, verrucous carcinoma. Important predisposing factors are lack of circumcision, human papillomavirus infections, and penile ..
- Outcome of penile cancer in circumcised menRaouf M Seyam
Department of Urology, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Urol 175:557-61; discussion 561. 2006..We previously reported on a group of patients with post-circumcision carcinoma of the penis. We now study the long-term outcome of these patients...
- RT-PCR amplification of RNA extracted from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded oral cancer sections: analysis of p53 pathwayMasatsugu Tachibana
Departments of Surgical and Molecular Pathology, Gastroenterological Surgery, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, 880 Kitakobayashi, Mibu, Shimo Tsuga, Tochigi, 321 0293, Japan
Anticancer Res 23:2891-6. 2003..Of of p33ING1 mRNA. One of these was a verrucous carcinoma in which the p53 gene products might be inactivated by the oncoprotein E6 of human papilloma virus...
- Diagnostic problems in oral pathologyC L Dunlap
University of Missouri, School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Pathology, Kansas City 64108
Semin Diagn Pathol 2:16-30. 1985..a benign salivary gland disease easily mistaken for malignancy; (2) verrucous lesions including verrucous carcinoma, verrucous hyperplasia, and papillary carcinoma; (3) spindle-cell carcinoma, which is often confused with ..
- [A case of verrucous carcinoma of the tongue, effectively treated with preoperative chemotherapy (UFT, CDDP, PEP) and irradiation]J Tanaka
Dept of Dentistry and Oral Surgery, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Japan
Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 19:525-7. 1992A 70-year-old male complained of a mass on the left side of his tongue. A biopsy specimen was diagnosed as verrucous carcinoma. He was treated with preoperative chemotherapy (UFT, CDDP, PEP) and irradiation, continuous partial ..
- Penile squamous cell carcinoma clinicopathological features, nodal metastasis and outcome in 333 casesGustavo Cardoso Guimaraes
Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Urol 182:528-34; discussion 534. 2009..We evaluated clinicopathological features and outcomes in patients with penile squamous cell carcinoma...
- Radiotherapy and verrucous carcinoma of the oral cavity. A study of 107 casesM S Vidyasagar
Department of Radiotherapy, Kasturba Medical College, Hospital, Manipal, India
Acta Oncol 31:43-7. 1992One hundred and seven cases of oral verrucous carcinoma treated primarily with radiotherapy at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal, India between 1977 and 1987 were analysed concerning location within the oral cavity, clinical extent, and ..
- ROLE OF CATHEPSINS IN ORAL CANCER INVASION AND METASTASIWolfgang Zacharias; Fiscal Year: 2003..almost 90 percent of oral cancers are squamous cell carcinomas (SCC), which include the subtypes of verrucous carcinoma and basaloid squamous cell carcinoma...
- Mineralization: Integrins and Focal Adhesion KinaseGalen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2003..This will allow for development of new therapeutic approaches that in turn could lead to novel treatments and tissue-engineered biological applications to increase the quality of life for many patients. ..
- Does FAK mediate implant microtopographyGalen Schneider; Fiscal Year: 2006..This would allow for a controlled, localized, site specific tissue engineering approach in association with Dental implant therapy. ..
- Effects of ART on Oral Epithelial Cell BiologyCraig Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..These processes are key to maintaining oral mucosal health in patients who are infected with HIV and for understanding how opportunistic infections develop despite the presence of ART. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..