glomus jugulare tumor
Summary: A paraganglioma involving the glomus jugulare, a microscopic collection of chemoreceptor tissue in the adventitia of the bulb of the jugular vein. It may cause paralysis of the vocal cords, attacks of dizziness, blackouts, and nystagmus. It is not resectable but radiation therapy is effective. It regresses slowly, but permanent control is regularly achieved. (From Dorland, 27th ed; Stedman, 25th ed; DeVita Jr et al., Cancer: Principles & Practice of Oncology, 3d ed, pp1603-4)
Publications120 found, 100 shown here
- Glomus jugulare tumor: tumor control and complications after stereotactic radiosurgeryRobert L Foote
Division of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Head Neck 24:332-8; discussion 338-9. 2002..We evaluated toxicity and long-term efficacy of stereotactic radiosurgery in patients with symptomatic or progressive glomus jugulare tumors...
- [Paraganglioma of the head and neck--tumor control, functional results and quality of life]M Kollert
Klinik für Hals Nasen Ohrenkrankheiten, Kopf, Hals und Plastische Gesichtschirurgie, Kommunikationsstörungen, Klinikum Fulda gAG, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Philipps Universität Marburg
Laryngorhinootologie 85:649-56. 2006..Surgical therapy for paragangliomas (PG) of the head and neck is, due to the alternatives of radiation therapy and wait-and-scan strategy and because of postoperative morbidity, under ongoing discussion...
- Long-term results of irradiation for paragangliomaAaron J Krych
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65:1063-6. 2006..Few data exist regarding long-term tumor control and late effects after EBRT or SRS...
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for glomus jugulare tumors: therapeutic advantages of minimalism in the skull baseManish S Sharma
Department of Neurosurgery and Gamma Knife, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029, India
Neurol India 56:57-61. 2008..Glomus jugulare (GJ) tumors are paragangliomas found in the region of the jugular foramen. Surgery with/without embolization and conventional radiotherapy has been the traditional management option...
- [Diagnosis and management of cervical paragangliomas: the Freiburg experience]C C Boedeker
Universitätsklinik für Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde und Poliklinik, Freiburg
Laryngorhinootologie 83:585-92. 2004..They are highly vascular neoplasms that are benign in the majority of cases. There are controversial discussions concerning the different treatment options for cervical paragangliomas...
- The safety and efficacy of gamma knife surgery in management of glomus jugulare tumorRaef F A Hafez
Neurosurgery and Gamma knife department, International Medical Center, Cairo, Egypt
World J Surg Oncol 8:76. 2010..At timeslarge residual tumors are left behind. To decrease the morbidity associated with surgical resection of glomus jugulare, gamma knife surgery (GKS) was performed as an alternative in 13 patients to evaluate its safety and efficacy...
- Lethal fibrosarcoma complicating radiation therapy for benign glomus jugulare tumorA K Lalwani
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco
Am J Otol 14:398-402. 1993..a case of a lethal radiation-induced fibrosarcoma presenting 15 years following irradiation for a benign glomus jugulare tumor. Radiation-induced malignancies are rare, but are lethal when they occur...
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for glomus jugulare tumors: volumetric analysis in 17 patientsAbhay Varma
Brain Tumor Institute and Department of Neurosurgery, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Neurosurgery 59:1030-6; discussion 1036. 2006..The authors report their experience treating these tumors using gamma knife radiosurgery (GKRS), documenting the clinical and radiological outcome...
- Biochemical and clinical responses after treatment of a catecholamine-secreting glomus jugulare tumor with gamma knife radiosurgeryWilliam A Castrucci
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Head Neck 32:1720-7. 2010..Functional glomus jugulare tumors (GJTs) are commonly managed with resection. Although primary radiation therapy of functional GJT can provide durable control of tumor growth, little is known of its ability to ablate functional capacity...
- The role of Gamma Knife radiosurgery in the management of glomus jugular tumoursS Eustacchio
Department of Neurosurgery, Karl Franzens University, Graz, Austria
Acta Neurochir Suppl 84:91-7. 2002..The role of Gamma Knife Radiosurgery (GKRS) in the management of these lesions remains to be defined...
- Glomus jugulare tumours: certain clinical and radiological aspects observed following Gamma Knife radiosurgeryJ C Ganz
Department of Neurosurgery, Haukeland University Hospital, Nevrokirurgisk avdeling, Haukeland Sykehus, 5021, Bergen, Norway
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 151:423-6. 2009..Previous papers have documented good results from Gamma Knife surgery (GKS) with these tumours. However, the relationship between clinical improvement and tumour shrinkage has never been assessed...
- Gamma knife surgery for glomus jugulare tumors: an intermediate report on efficacy and safetyJason Sheehan
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
J Neurosurg 102:241-6. 2005..Despite these therapies, tumor control can be difficult to achieve particularly without undo risk of patient morbidity or mortality. The authors examine the safety and efficacy of gamma knife surgery (GKS) for glomus jugulare tumors...
- Comparison of radiosurgery and conventional surgery for the treatment of glomus jugulare tumorsOren N Gottfried
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E4. 2004..The authors summarize and compare the contemporary outcomes and complications for these therapies...
- Glomus jugulare tumor presentation and management: a case studyMark C Coles
Atlantic Neurosurgery in Virginia Beach, VA, USA
J Neurosci Nurs 36:221-3, 235. 2004....
- Complete resection of a complex glomus jugulare tumor with extensive venous involvement. Case reportSujit S Prabhu
Department of Neurosurgery, The Brain Tumor Center, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4009, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E12. 2004The authors describe a case of a complex glomus jugulare tumor with extensive involvement of the venous system...
- Stereotactic radiosurgery in patients with glomus jugulare tumorsBruce E Pollock
Department of Neurologic Surgery, and Division of Radiation Oncology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E10. 2004..To decrease the morbidity associated with tumor management in these patients, gamma knife surgery (GKS) was performed as an alternative to resection...
- Radiosurgery for glomus jugulare: history and recent progressZachary D Guss
Department of Neurosurgery, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Neurosurg Focus 27:E5. 2009..These studies demonstrate that radiosurgery results in similar glomus jugulare tumor control and a superior morbidity profile compared with surgical treatment...
- Glomus jugulare tumors: the option of gamma knife radiosurgeryMassimo Gerosa
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, Verona, Italy
Neurosurgery 59:561-9; discussion 561-9. 2006..There is increasing evidence that stereotactic radiosurgery, particularly gamma knife radiosurgery (GKR), may play a relevant role as a therapeutic option in these tumors...
- Radiosurgery for glomus jugulare tumorsMichael Lim
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 6:419-23. 2007..Our results support radiosurgery as an effective and safe method of treatment for glomus jugulare tumors with low morbidity as evidenced by a larger number of patients and long term follow-up...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor expression, vascularization and proliferation in paragangliomasJurgen Brieger
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Mainz, Germany
ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec 67:119-24. 2005....
- [Glomus caroticum, jugulare and vagale--problems in diagnosis and treatment]Witold Szyfter
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii i Onkologii Laryngologicznej AM w Poznaniu
Otolaryngol Pol 60:305-12. 2006..The first three of them are clinically recognized as tumor of the neck...
- The value of MR angiography techniques in the detection of head and neck paragangliomasRene van den Berg
Department of Radiology, C2 S Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, Leiden 2300, RC, The Netherlands
Eur J Radiol 52:240-5. 2004....
- Preservation of conductive hearing in approaches to tumors of the jugular foramenSteven R Gold
Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, Charlotte, North Carolina 28226, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:1126-30. 2006..The purpose of this study was to describe and report our experience with this technique...
- Facial paralysis associated with glomus jugulare tumorsJohn P Leonetti
The Loyola Center for Cranial Base Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60153, USA
Otol Neurotol 28:104-6. 2007..To review the intraoperative findings and facial nerve management in nine patients who presented with facial paralysis associated with glomus jugulare tumors...
- Management of jugular paragangliomas: the Gruppo Otologico experienceMario Sanna
Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza Rome, Italy
Otol Neurotol 25:797-804. 2004..The objective of this study was to review the outcome of surgical management in patients of jugular paragangliomas...
- [Paralysis of vocal fold as the first symptom of Vernet's syndrome in the course of jugular chemodectoma]Anna Dqbrowska
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii i Onkologii Laryngologicznej Pomorskiej AM
Otolaryngol Pol 60:773-7. 2006..g. the laryngologist and the neurologist...
- Malignant head and neck paragangliomas in SDHB mutation carriersCarsten Christof Boedeker
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:126-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to investigate whether PGLs are associated with malignant head and neck paragangliomas (HNPs)...
- Irradiation of glomus jugulare tumors: a historical perspectiveGordon Li
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Neurosurg Focus 23:E13. 2007..In this article the authors discuss the history of radiation therapy for glomus jugulare tumors, focusing on recent radiosurgical results...
- [Three kinds of chemodectoma in one patient--a rare case]Witold Szyfter
Katedra i Klinika Otolaryngologii i Onkologii Laryngologicznej AM w Poznaniu
Otolaryngol Pol 59:115-8. 2005..Mutiple paragangliomas may occur in 2-10%. The purpose of this study was to present the rare case of patient with three kinds of chemodectoma: glomus tympanicum, jugulare i vagale...
- Vascular lesions of the skull base: endovascular prospective for the otolaryngologistDavid H Robinson
Vascular Center, Section of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, 1100 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 38:737-71. 2005....
- Resection of a recurrent paraganglioma via an endoscopic transnasal approach to the jugular fossaLee A Zimmer
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 2546, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:398-402. 2006..To present a novel endoscopic, transnasal approach to a recurrent paraganglioma of the jugular fossa (glomus jugulare)...
- Reduced quality of life in patients with head-and-neck paragangliomasB Havekes
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 158:247-53. 2008..The objective of this study was to assess the quality of life (QoL) in patients with head-and-neck paragangliomas ('glomus tumors')...
- Fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy of glomus jugulare tumors. Local control, toxicity, symptomatology, and quality of lifeMartin Henzel
Department of Radiation Oncology, Philipps University of Marburg, Marburg, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 183:557-62. 2007..Stereotactic fractionated radiotherapy (SRT) could be a further alternative. This study aims at the assessment of local control, side effects, and quality of life (QoL)...
- Radical radiotherapy alone for glomus jugulare and tympanicum tumoursLaura Shelley Pemberton
Department of Clinical Oncology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK
Oncol Rep 14:1631-3. 2005..Therefore, RT alone has a significant role in the management of these tumours...
- [Multiple paragangliomas: about two cases]M Alaoui
Service de Chirurgie Vasculaire, CHU hôpital Ibn Sina, Rabat, Morocco
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 100:582-6. 2007..Surgical treatment was performed for all these localization, except for the tympano-jugular localization, treated by embolization. The post-operative periods were uneventful. The first case had adjunctive radiotherapy...
- [Uncommon case of paraganglioma syndrome in combination with malignant paraganglioma]K Schmahl
Abt XIII, Pathologie, Bundeswehrzentralkrankenhaus Koblenz
Laryngorhinootologie 87:112-7. 2008..Combination of paraganglioma syndrome and malignant paraganglioma is an uncommon disease worldwide...
- [The jugulotympanic paragangliomas: 41 cases report]D Q Nguyen
CHU Grenoble, Service ORL, F 38043 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol (Bord) 126:7-13. 2005..The management of these vascular tumours remains uncleared. The purpose of this study was to report our experience about JTP in the CHU of Grenoble...
- Differentiating imaging findings in primary and secondary tumors of the jugular foramenHubert Löwenheim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Tuebingen, Tuebingen, Germany
Neurosurg Rev 29:1-11; discussion 12-13. 2006..The present study describes and discusses the main differentiating imaging features of lesions involving the jugular foramen, whose accurate preoperative radiological evaluation is essential for proper surgical planning...
- Surgical treatment of glomus jugulare tumors without rerouting of the facial nerve: an infralabyrinthine approachLuis A B Borba
Department of Neurosurgery, Center for Neurological Surgery of Parana, Evangelical University Medical School, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
Neurosurg Focus 17:E8. 2004..The extent of surgical exposure is tailored with emphasis placed on the routine anterior transposition of the facial nerve...
- Hereditary paraganglioma due to the SDHD M1I mutation in a second Chinese family: a founder effect?Soo Chin Lee
Department of Hematology Oncology, National University Hospital, Singapore
Laryngoscope 113:1055-8. 2003..SDHD mutations are widely distributed along the gene with no apparent hot spots, although a founder effect has been described in the Dutch population...
- Radiosurgery for the control of glomus jugulare tumoursM E Bari
Department of Neurosurgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 53:147-51. 2003..To ascertain the efficacy of stereotactic radiosurgery (gamma knife) for the control of glomus jugulare tumours...
- New parameter of hemoglobin status as an indicator of efficacy of preoperative angioembolization in extracranial hypervascular tumoursJayapalli R Bapuraj
Department of Radiodiagnosis and Imaging, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Otolaryngol 31:313-6. 2002....
- Complex tumors of the glomus jugulare: criteria, treatment, and outcomeOssama Al-Mefty
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA
J Neurosurg 97:1356-66. 2002..In this article the authors report on a series of patients with complex glomus jugulare tumors and focus on treatment decisions, avoidance of complications, surgical refinements, and patient outcomes...
- [Diagnosis and therapy of glomus tympanicum and glomus jugulare tumors]Jian Feng Liu
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Medical Academy, Beijing 100005, China
Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 39:543-5. 2004..To report on a series of patients with glomus tympanicum or glomus jugulare tumors, and to focus on its diagnosis, treatment, and outcomes...
- Glomus jugulare tumors: historical overview of the management of this diseaseL Madison Michael
Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Tennessee at Memphis and Semmes Murphey Neurologic and Spine Institute, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E1. 2004..A historical review of the development of management options for glomus jugulare tumors is presented in an effort to offer a foundation for understanding their contemporary treatment...
- The efficacy of linear accelerator stereotactic radiosurgery in treating glomus jugulare tumorsMichael Lim
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Dr, Room R 225, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Technol Cancer Res Treat 2:261-5. 2003..Our results continue to support radiosurgery as a suitable form of treatment for glomus jugulare tumors as evidenced by results from this four and a half year follow-up...
- Glomus tumors: therapeutic role of selective embolizationMustafa Tasar
Department of Radiology and Otorhinolaryngology, Gulhane Medical School, Etlik 06018, Ankara, Turkey
J Craniofac Surg 15:497-505. 2004..The results indicate that the use of embolotherapy in the treatment of glomus tumors must be basically preoperative but is not curative...
- Transjugular craniotomy for the management of jugular foramen tumors with intracranial extensionJohn S Oghalai
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:570-9; discussion 579. 2004..The transjugular approach is a lateral craniotomy conducted through a partial petrosectomy traversing the jugular fossa combined with resection of the sigmoid sinus and jugular bulb, which often have been occluded by disease...
- [Case of paraganglioma of the originally numerous location in the 24 year old male]Dariusz Jurkiewicz
Klinika Otolaryngologii Wojskowego Instytutu Medycznego CSK MON w Warszawie
Otolaryngol Pol 62:212-5. 2008..Overall 5-10% of all paragangliomas are malignant. The bening lorms paragangliomas, of the originally numerous location are rare described...
- Glomus jugulare tumors with intracranial extensionC Gary Jackson
The Otology Group at Vanderbilt, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E7. 2004..Particular attention will be paid to prevention of cerebrospinal fluid leaks with the use of vascularized tissue for defect reconstruction...
- Dural arteriovenous fistula of the anterior condylar confluence and hypoglossal canal mimicking a jugular foramen tumorJames K Liu
Department of Neurological Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Neurosurg 109:335-40. 2008..This was thought to represent either a glomus jugulare tumor or a DAVF...
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for acoustic neuromas performed by a neurotologist: early experiences and outcomesP Ashley Wackym
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Sciences, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:752-61. 2004..To assess early outcomes after Gamma knife radiosurgery of acoustic neuromas and other skull base tumors...
- Posterior cranial fossa tumors in young adultsChien Cheng Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Laryngoscope 116:1678-81. 2006..This retrospective study presents our experience on the posterior cranial fossa tumors in young adults during the past 15 years...
- Jugular foramen chordoid meningiomaHidehiro Takei
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 3498, USA
Pathol Int 56:397-401. 2006..tumor (jugular foramen), the differential diagnosis included not only a chordoma but also a paraganglioma (glomus jugulare tumor)...
- Diagnosis and management of hereditary paraganglioma syndrome due to the F933>X67 SDHD mutationMonica L Marvin
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Head Neck 31:689-94. 2009..The recognition of patients with hereditary PGL and identification of the responsible gene are important for the management of index patients and family members...
- Bevacizumab fails to treat temporal paraganglioma: discussion and case illustrationHamidreza Aliabadi
Department of Surgery, Division of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, 220 Sands Building, Research Drive, Box 3050, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Neurooncol 98:427-30. 2010..She was found to have a temporal paraganglioma (glomus jugulare tumor) on imaging. Histopathology confirmed significant staining for VEGF...
- [Exposed superior bulb of the internal jugular vein. Differential hearing loss diagnosis with pulse synchronous tinnitus]M Tisch
Abteilung Hals Nasen Ohrenheilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Ulm
HNO 46:944-6. 1998..Magnetic resonance imaging could not be performed because of an implanted pacemaker. Since a glomus jugulare tumor could not be excluded right diagnostic tympanoscopy was performed and revealed a high jugular bulb that ..
- A legacy of tinnitus: multiple head and neck paragangliomasTricia M M Tan
Department of Investigative Medicine, Division of Investigative Science, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
Rare Tumors 1:e29. 2009We describe the case of a patient who presented with a right-sided glomus jugulare tumor and bilateral glomus vagale tumors. These proved to be nonmalignant paragangliomas on histopathological analysis...
- [Para-aortic paraganglioma found by arteriography. Apropos of a case and review of the literature]D Maniere-Constantin
Service de Medecine Interne, centre hospitalier Saint Joseph et Saint Luc, Lyon
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 90:1185-8. 1997..Paraganglias are arising from the paraganglion system including chemodectoma and glomus jugulare tumor. Non functioning retroperitoneal paraganglias are uncommon: less than 50 in the literature between 1902 ..
- Robotic stereotactic radiosurgery in patients with unresectable glomus jugulare tumorsP Hurmuz
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Radiation Oncology, 06100, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Technol Cancer Res Treat 12:109-13. 2013..We did not observe any treatment related toxicity in our patients. In conclusion, according to our early experience, robotic SRS seems to be successful treatment option in the management of unresectable GJTs...
- Ultrasound characteristics of a glomus jugulare tumorZhen Hong Qi
Department of Ultrasound, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China
J Neuroimaging 23:242-4. 2013..Surgical dissection of the tumor was performed. Pathological study revealed the mass was glomus jugulare tumor.
- [Endocrine surgery for neck paraganglioma: operation, radiation therapy or wait and scan?]R Schneider
Universitätsklinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral und Gefässchirurgie, Martin Luther Universitat, Ernst Grube Str 40, 06120, Halle Saale, Deutschland
Chirurg 83:1060-7. 2012..g. tumor size, localization and dignity), age of patient and symptoms. In terms of local control radiation therapy is as equally effective as surgery but surgical morbidity rates secondary to cranial nerve injuries remain high...
- [A case of hemifacial spasm in a juglar foramen tumor patient treated by microvascular decompression]Yuuta Kamoshima
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo City, Hokkaido, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 39:1099-103. 2011..The sole use of arterial decompression of the facial nerve at the root exit zone resulted in complete resolution of the patient's symptoms...
- Facial and lower cranial neuropathies after preoperative embolization of jugular foramen lesions with ethylene vinyl alcoholBrian C Gartrell
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53792 7375, USA
Otol Neurotol 33:1270-5. 2012..To report 3 unique cases of cranial neuropathy after super-selective arterial embolization of jugular foramen vascular tumors with ethylene vinyl alcohol...
- [Metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma imitates glomus jugulare tumor]T Mucke
Rofo 179:974-6. 2007
- Surgical management of jugular foramen meningiomas: a series of 13 cases and review of the literatureMario Sanna
Gruppo Otologico, Piacenza Rome, Italy
Laryngoscope 117:1710-9. 2007..The objective of this study is to analyze the management and outcome in a series of 13 primary jugular foramen meningiomas collected at a single center...
- The presentation and management of multiple paraganglioma in head and neckB G Fennessy
Department of Otolaryngology and Communication Enhancement, Childrens Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Ir J Med Sci 180:757-60. 2011..We report the presentation and management of an 18-year-old male, who presented with bilateral carotid body paragangliomas and a unilateral jugular body paraganglioma...
- Radiosurgery for glomus jugulare tumors: experience treating 16 patients in IranMohammad Ali Bitaraf
Department of Neurosurgery, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Neurosurg 105:168-74. 2006....
- Surgical management of glomus jugulare tumors: a proposal for approach selection based on tumor relationships with the facial nerveLuis A B Borba
Department of Neurosurgery, Evangelic Medical School, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Parana, Brazil
J Neurosurg 112:88-98. 2010The goal of this paper is to analyze the extension and relationships of glomus jugulare tumor with the temporal bone and the results of its surgical treatment aiming at preservation of the facial nerve...
- Paragangliomas of head and neck: a treatment option with CyberKnife radiosurgeryLivia C Bianchi
CyberKnife Center CDI, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:479-85. 2009..In conclusion, CyberKnife radiosurgery appears to be both safe and effective in the treatment of skull base paragangliomas. Determining whether long-term complications will arise will require further investigation...
- A meta-analysis of tumor control rates and treatment-related morbidity for patients with glomus jugulare tumorsMichael E Ivan
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
J Neurosurg 114:1299-305. 2011..In this study, the authors assessed data collected from 869 patients with glomus jugulare tumors from the published literature to identify treatment variables that impacted clinical outcomes and tumor control rates...
- Venoplasty and stenting of a jugular foramen meningiomaG Zilani
Departments of Neurological Surgery and Neuroradiology, The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford
Br J Neurosurg 23:557-60. 2009..Endovascular balloon venoplasty and stenting may assess and restore cranial outflow in veins compressed by soft tumours in anatomical locations challenging to surgical resection, even in the absence of intracranial hypertension...
- Reconstruction of the petrosal bone for treatment of kinetic tremor due to cerebellar herniation and torsion of cerebellar outflow pathwaysThomas M Kinfe
Mov Disord 23:1485-7. 2008
- The combined transmastoid retro- and infralabyrinthine transjugular transcondylar transtubercular high cervical approach for resection of glomus jugulare tumorsMario Sanna
Neurosurgery 61:E1340; author reply E1340. 2007
- Gamma knife radiosurgery for the treatment of glomus jugulare tumorsAli Genc
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurooncol 97:101-8. 2010..Our results indicate that stereotactic radiosurgery is an effective and safe treatment modality in the management of glomus jugulare tumors, particularly for residual or previously untreated small tumors...
- Jugular foramen tumors: clinical characteristics and treatment outcomesJose N Fayad
House Ear Institute and House Ear Clinic, Los Angeles, California 90057, USA
Otol Neurotol 31:299-305. 2010..To describe the diagnosis, management, and treatment outcome of jugular foramen (JF) tumors...
- [Selective embolization and surgical resection for head and neck glomus tumours--clinical outcome analysis]G Girolami
Institut für Radiologie und Nuklearmedizin der Ruhr Universität Bochum, Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum Langendreer, Bochum
Laryngorhinootologie 87:181-5. 2008..There were no reported deaths. Angiographic embolization of glomus tumours in the head and neck before definitive excision can be safe and effective, resulting in an improved surgical outcome and tumour resectability...
- Jugular foramen schwannoma--a very rare entityManzoor Ahmad
Department of Neurosurgery, Services Institute of Medical Sciences Services Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 21:174-5. 2009..The outcome was very good and the patient recovered without any permanent deficits. The epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, radiographic findings and treatment of this rare entity are reviewed...
- Treatment of glomus jugulare tumors with gamma knife radiosurgeryPhilip G Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Laryngoscope 120:1856-62. 2010..However, the optimal treatment of these tumors remains unclear. The authors report their data on treatment of GJTs with gamma knife radiosurgery (GKS)...
- [Imaging and assessment of glomus jugulare in MRI and CT techniques]Paweł Bozek
Pracownia MR w Zabrzu, NZOZ Medyczne Centra Diagnostyczne Voxel
Otolaryngol Pol 65:218-27. 2011..Magnetic resonance (MR), computed tomography (CT) and angiography are the modalities of choice in detecting and characterizing paragangliomas...
- Angiomatous type of jugular foramen meningioma with neck extension: differential diagnosis from paraganglioma and schwannomaZeng Chang Chen
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Head Neck 29:793-8. 2007..Clinically, these tumors mimic the more common glomus jugulare tumor. Preoperative diagnosis can be correct on the basis of the characteristic imaging findings.
- Intratumoral injection of cyanoacrylate glue in head and neck paragangliomasDaniel Giansante Abud
Department of Interventional Neuroradiology, Foundation Rothschild, Paris, France
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:1457-62. 2004..We report our experience with the preoperative devascularization of head and neck paragangliomas by using direct puncture and an intralesional injection of cyanoacrylate...
- Efficacy and safety of stereotactic radiosurgery for glomus jugulare tumorsMichael Lim
Department of Neurosurgery, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California, USA
Neurosurg Focus 17:E11. 2004..To add to the available information, the authors report their experience with the application of linear accelerator (LINAC) or CyberKnife modalities in 13 patients with 16 tumors...
- Jugular foramen tumors: diagnosis and treatmentRicardo Ramina
Neurosurgery Department of Instituto de Neurologia de Curitiba, Brazil
Neurosurg Focus 17:E5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate a series of patients with jugular foramen tumors who were surgically treated in the past 16 years, and to analyze the surgical technique, complications, and outcomes...
- Immunohistochemistry of glomus jugulare and tympanicum tumorsS Branica
ENT University Department, School of Medicine, University of Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Med Croatica 47:123-4. 1993..e., moderate to maximal reactivity, in all cases under study. Helper cells of these tumors, and likewise other paragangliomas, are well represented by antisera to S-100 protein and glial fibrillary acid protein...
- Malignant paraganglioma of the glomus jugulare: a case reportF Johnston
Gough Cooper Department of Neurological Surgery, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Queen Square, London, UK
Br J Neurosurg 6:255-9. 1992..Review of the 16 reported cases provides information which can be a basis for management of the malignant form of this tumour...
- The variable relationship between the lower cranial nerves and jugular foramen tumors: implications for neural preservationL R Lustig
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Am J Otol 17:658-68. 1996..This is important to recognize through angiography and/or magnetic resonance venography, since sacrifice of a patent, dominant system risks intracerebral venous infarction...
- [Treatment of operation of carotid body tumor and glomus jugular tumor]Menghe Guo
Department of Otolaryngology, Zhujiang Hospital, First Military Medical University, Guangzhou 510282
Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi 17:346-7. 2003..To study the clinical characteristics and outline of surgery for carotid body tumor and glomus jugular tumor...
- Reversible cochleo-vestibular deficits in two cases of jugular foramen tumor after surgeryShou Jen Wang
Department of Otolaryngology, National Taiwan University Hospital and College of Medicine, 1 Chang Te Street, Taipei, Taiwan
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 261:247-50. 2004..Recently, we encountered JF schwannoma 1 and glomus jugulare tumor 1...
- Dynamic contrast enhancement of paragangliomas of the head and neck: evaluation with time-resolved 2D MR projection angiographySebastian M Arnold
Department of Neuroradiology, University of Freiburg, 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Eur Radiol 13:1608-11. 2003..The characteristic contrast enhancement of glomus tumors can be helpful in the diagnostic workup of lesions that may mimic glomus tumors...
- [Malignant transformation of giant jugular chemodectoma]Elzbieta Bilińska-Pietraszek
II Katedra i Kliniczny Oddział Laryngologii Sl AM w Zabrzu
Otolaryngol Pol 56:717-20. 2002..A case of a large paraganglioma was presented. The method of choice in treatment these tumors should consist of surgery and radiation therapy postoperatively...
- Stereotactic linear accelerater-based radiosurgery for the treatment of patients with glomus jugulare tumorsMohammad Maarouf
Department of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Cancer 97:1093-8. 2003The optimal treatment for patients with glomus jugulare tumor (GJT) of the skull base remains controversial. Surgical excision is associated with a high incidence of cranial nerve injury, decreased quality of life, and high mortality...
- [A catecholamine-secreting glomus jugular tumor]Teruyuki Ueda
First Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Kanazawa University, Kanazawa
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 91:731-3. 2002
- [Main symptom: "pulse-synchronous tinnitus"]E Gehrking
Klinik fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde des Universitätsklinikums Lübeck
Laryngorhinootologie 79:510-6. 2000..In comparison to cochlear or nerval generated ear noises, pulsatile tinnitus is a rare condition. Due to its own etiology, specific diagnostic steps are necessary...
- Imaging and management of head and neck paragangliomasRene van den Berg
Department of Radiology, C2 S, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Eur Radiol 15:1310-8. 2005..Resection however, should be balanced against a more conservative "wait and scan" policy or palliative treatments such as radiotherapy...
- Tumors of the jugular foramen: diagnosis and managementRicardo Ramina
Neurosurgical Department, Instituto de Neurologia de Curitiba, Curitiba, Brazil
Neurosurgery 57:59-68; discussion 59-68. 2005..Data from 106 consecutive patients surgically treated in the past 17 years were retrospectively analyzed to identify surgical outcomes...
- Facial nerve rerouting in skull base surgeryNooshin Parhizkar
Department of Otolaryngology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, 530 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 38:685-710, ix. 2005....
- Familial paragangliomaA Cemal Umit Isik
Department of Otolaryngology, Karadeniz Technical University Faculty of Medicine, Trabzon, Turkey
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 263:23-31. 2006..Early surgery is recommended to minimize major risks...
- Revision glomus tumor surgeryMario Sanna
Gruppo Otologico, Via Emmanueli 42, 29100, Piacenza, Italy
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 39:763-82, vii. 2006..Patients affected by uncontrolled recurrences still die of this disease...
- The combined transmastoid retro- and infralabyrinthine transjugular transcondylar transtubercular high cervical approach for resection of glomus jugulare tumorsJames K Liu
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Neurosurgery 59:ONS115-25; discussion ONS115-25. 2006..The details of this approach are described and illustrated in a stepwise fashion, and the microsurgical anatomy is reviewed...
- Lipomatous hemangiopericytoma of the skull base and parapharyngeal spaceWayne T Shaia
Michigan Ear Institute, Farmington Hills 48377, Department of Neurotology and Skull Base Surgery, Providence Hospital Medical Center, Southfield, and Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Otol Neurotol 27:560-3. 2006..To discuss the diagnosis and clinical management of lipomatous hemangiopericytoma...
- The Role of GAB1:JNK2alpha2 Complex in Glial TumorigenesisGordon Li; Fiscal Year: 2008..In plain language, we are studying the molecular biology of malignant brain tumors in hope to find better treatment options for this tumor. ..