Genomes and Genes
germ cell and embryonal neoplasms
Summary: Neoplasms composed of primordial GERM CELLS of embryonic GONADS or of elements of the germ layers of the EMBRYO. The concept does not refer to neoplasms located in the gonads or present in an embryo or FETUS.
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Testicular germ-cell tumours in a broader perspectiveJ Wolter Oosterhuis
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Rev Cancer 5:210-22. 2005..Recent progress begins to explain the apparent unpredictable development of germ-cell tumours and offers a basis for understanding their exquisite sensitivity to therapy...
- A genome-wide association study of testicular germ cell tumorElizabeth A Rapley
Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Nat Genet 41:807-10. 2009..05-3.19), P = 10(-31)). KITLG, encoding the ligand for the receptor tyrosine kinase KIT, which has previously been implicated in the pathogenesis of TGCT and the biology of germ cells, may explain the association on chromosome 12...
- KIT and RAS signalling pathways in testicular germ cell tumours: new data and a review of the literatureN C Goddard
Molecular Cytogenetics, Section of Molecular Carcinogenesis, The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey SM2 5NG, UK
Int J Androl 30:337-48; discussion 349. 2007..Reducing the expression of KIT in TCam-2 through RNA inhibition resulted in decreased cell viability. Further understanding of KIT and RAS signalling in TGCTs may lead to novel therapeutic approaches for these tumours...
- Novel genomic aberrations in testicular germ cell tumors by array-CGH, and associated gene expression changesRolf I Skotheim
Department of Cancer Prevention, Institute for Cancer Research, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Oslo, Norway
Cell Oncol 28:315-26. 2006..Testicular germ cell tumors of adolescent and young adult men (TGCTs) generally have near triploid and complex karyotypes. The actual genes driving the tumorigenesis remain essentially to be identified...
- Gene expression patterns in human embryonic stem cells and human pluripotent germ cell tumorsJamie M Sperger
Wisconsin National Primate Research Center and Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53715, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:13350-5. 2003..These genes are candidates for involvement in the maintenance of a pluripotent, undifferentiated phenotype...
- European consensus on diagnosis and treatment of germ cell cancer: a report of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group (EGCCCG)H J Schmoll
European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group, Martin Luther University, Department of Hematology Oncology, Halle, Germany
Ann Oncol 15:1377-99. 2004..Since this guideline is based on the highest evidence level available today, a deviation from these proposals should be a rare and justified exception...
- Cisplatin-induced apoptosis in human malignant testicular germ cell lines depends on MEK/ERK activationS Schweyer
Department of Pathology, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Str 40, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Br J Cancer 91:589-98. 2004..Thus, our data suggest that CDDP mediates its p53-independent apoptosis-inducing effect on the malignant human testicular germ cells--at least partially--through activation of the MEK-ERK signalling pathway. July 2004..
- Germ-cell tumors in childhood and adolescence. GPOH MAKEI and the MAHO study groupsU Gobel
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Children s Hospital, Heinrich Heine University, Medical Center, Dusseldorf, Germany
Ann Oncol 11:263-71. 2000..On the other hand the completeness of the primary tumor resection according to oncological standards has been established as the most powerful prognostic parameter superior to tumor marker levels or primary site of the tumor...
- Sunitinib inhibits tumor growth and synergizes with cisplatin in orthotopic models of cisplatin-sensitive and cisplatin-resistant human testicular germ cell tumorsWilmar Castillo-Avila
Laboratori de Recerca Translacional, Institut Català d Oncologia IDIBELL, Hospital Duran i Reynals, L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Cancer Res 15:3384-95. 2009..In the present study, we evaluated the effect of sunitinib, CDDP, or the combination of both drugs using an orthotopic model of human testicular GCT...
- Expression of the PDGF alpha-receptor 1.5 kb transcript, OCT-4, and c-KIT in human normal and malignant tissues. Implications for the early diagnosis of testicular germ cell tumours and for our understanding of regulatory mechanismsCamilla Palumbo
Department of Cell Biology, University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pathol 196:467-77. 2002..Although this may hamper the use of this transcript as a marker for malignancies in general, it does not appear to interfere with assays for the early detection of TGCTs...
- From gonocytes to testicular cancer: the role of impaired gonadal developmentEwa Rajpert-De Meyts
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Copenhagen University Hospital Rigshospitalet, DK 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1120:168-80. 2007..The effects of environmental factors are likely modulated by genomic variation (polymorphisms), thus explaining the individual susceptibility and population-level differences in the incidence of testicular cancer...
- Activating c-kit gene mutations in human germ cell tumorsQ Tian
Departments of Pathology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, USA
Am J Pathol 154:1643-7. 1999..This is the first description of an activating c-kit mutation in GCTs and is evidence that the KIT signal transduction pathway is important in the pathogenesis of neoplasms with seminoma differentiation...
- The early human germ cell lineage does not express SOX2 during in vivo development or upon in vitro cultureRebecca M Perrett
Centre for Human Development, Stem Cells and Regeneration, Human Genetics Division, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, United Kingdom
Biol Reprod 78:852-8. 2008..The data also provide a new reference point for studies attempting to turn human stem cells into gametes by normal developmental pathways for the treatment of infertility...
- Recent advances in management of patients with platinum-refractory testicular germ cell tumorsChristian Kollmannsberger
Division of Medical Oncology, British Columbia Cancer Agency, University of British Columbia Vancouver Cancer Center, 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia V5Z 4E6, Canada
Cancer 106:1217-26. 2006..This research may eventually allow the development of a noncross-resistant multidrug combination regimen that can be evaluated in an earlier line of therapy...
- Testicular calcification and microlithiasis: association with primary intra-testicular malignancy in 3,477 patientsFiona N A C Miller
Department of Radiology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS, United Kingdom
Eur Radiol 17:363-9. 2007..This study confirms the reported association between TM and testicular tumour and finds a previously unreported association between non-TM calcification and testicular tumour...
- The role of reactive oxygen species in cisplatin-induced apoptosis in human malignant testicular germ cell linesS Schweyer
Department of Pathology, University of Gottingen, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Int J Oncol 25:1671-6. 2004..Thus, our data suggest that CDDP mediates its apoptosis-inducing effect on the human malignant testicular germ cells, at least partially, through activation of the MEK-ERK signaling pathway in a ROS-dependent, Raf-1-independent manner...
- hTERT gene amplification and increased mRNA expression in central nervous system embryonal tumorsXing Fan
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Pathol 162:1763-9. 2003..Our data indicate that hTERT gene amplification is relatively common in embryonal brain tumors, and that increased expression of hTERT mRNA may be associated with biologically aggressive tumor behavior...
- Identification and validation of a gene expression signature that predicts outcome in adult men with germ cell tumorsJames E Korkola
Cell Biology Program, Sloan Kettering Institute for Cancer Research, New York, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:5240-7. 2009..Currently, patients are risk-stratified on the basis of clinical presentation and serum tumor markers. The introduction of molecular markers could improve outcome prediction...
- DNA damage response in human testes and testicular germ cell tumours: biology and implications for therapyJ Bartkova
Institute of Cancer Biology and Centre for Genotoxic Stress Research, Danish Cancer Society, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Androl 30:282-91; discussion 291. 2007....
- Phase II trial of sunitinib in patients with relapsed or refractory germ cell tumorsDarren R Feldman
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY, USA
Invest New Drugs 28:523-8. 2010..Correlation between sunitinib treatment and tumor marker changes on the 50 mg 4/2 schedule suggest some pathways targeted by sunitinib (ie, angiogenesis) may be important to GCT biology...
- Testicular germ-cell cancerAlan Horwich
Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Surrey SM2 5PT, UK
Lancet 367:754-65. 2006..We summarise advances in the understanding and management of TGCT during the past decade...
- Bevacizumab plus high-dose ifosfamide, etoposide and carboplatin (HD-ICE) as third-line salvage chemotherapy induced an unexpected dramatic response in highly platinum refractory germ-cell cancerW Voigt
Ann Oncol 17:531-3. 2006
- High-throughput microRNAome analysis in human germ cell tumoursA J M Gillis
Department of Pathology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Daniel den Hoed, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 213:319-28. 2007..Moreover, differentiated non-seminomas showed overexpression of discriminating miRNAs. These results support the model that miRNAs are involved in regulating differentiation of stem cells, retained in GCTs...
- Down-regulation of stem cell genes, including those in a 200-kb gene cluster at 12p13.31, is associated with in vivo differentiation of human male germ cell tumorsJames E Korkola
Cell Biology Program and Departments of Medicine, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and Pathology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Cancer Res 66:820-7. 2006..Furthermore, the differential expression of core stem cell genes may explain the differences in pluripotency between embryonal carcinomas and seminomas...
- Testicular microlithiasis as a familial risk factor for testicular germ cell tumourJ Coffey
Testicular Cancer Genetics Team, Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 97:1701-6. 2007..We suggest that TM is an alternative manifestation of a TGCT susceptibility allele...
- Postchemotherapy retroperitoneal surgery remains necessary in patients with nonseminomatous testicular cancer and minimal residual tumor massesJan Oldenburg
Department of Medical Oncology, The Norwegian Radium Hospital, Montebello, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Oncol 21:3310-7. 2003....
- Pediatric central nervous system germ cell tumors: a reviewMaria E Echevarría
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, USA
Oncologist 13:690-9. 2008..The standard management for CNS GCTs remains controversial. Treatment regimens aimed to improve progression-free and overall survival times are ongoing...
- Imaging of testicular germ cell tumoursP U Dalal
Department of Radiology, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Cancer Imaging 6:124-34. 2006..This article reviews the role of imaging of testicular germ cell tumours...
- Expression of BLIMP1/PRMT5 and concurrent histone H2A/H4 arginine 3 dimethylation in fetal germ cells, CIS/IGCNU and germ cell tumorsDawid Eckert
Department of Developmental Pathology, Institute of Pathology, University of Bonn, Germany
BMC Dev Biol 8:106. 2008..This imposes epigenetic modifications leading to transcriptional repression in mouse PGCs enabling them to escape the somatic differentiation program during migration, while expressing markers of pluripotency...
- Inguinal and iliac lymph node involvement in germ cell tumours of the testis: implications for radiological investigation and for therapyM D Mason
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 3:147-50. 1991..These factors should also influence the extent of the radiation field or of surgical dissection when these modalities are employed...
- Undifferentiated embryonal sarcoma of the liver: case report and literature surveySilvia Pachera
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, University of Nagoya Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 15:536-44. 2008..The clinical and histopathological features, as well as the therapeutic choices for adult UES, are described for this patient and in the literature of the past 50 years...
- Constitutional cytogenetic analysis in men with hereditary testicular germ cell tumor: no evidence of disease-related abnormalitiesChristine M Mueller
Clinical Genetics Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, NIH, Department of Health and Human Services, 6120 Executive Boulevard, EPS 7101, Rockville, MD 20852 7231, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:2791-4. 2007
- Parental occupational exposure to pesticides and childhood germ-cell tumorsZhi Chen
Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Am J Epidemiol 162:858-67. 2005..2, 95% CI: 0.1, 1.0). This study did not provide strong evidence supporting a relation between parental pesticide exposure in the workplace and risk of germ-cell tumors among offspring...
- Survival estimates of a prognostic classification depended more on year of treatment than on imputation of missing valuesMerel R van Dijk
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Ee 20 87, Dr Molewaterplein 50, 3015 GE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 59:246-53. 2006..We looked for effects of this exclusion on survival estimates in the three IGCC prognosis groups...
- Late relapses of germ cell malignancies: incidence, management, and prognosisJan Oldenburg
Department of Clinical Cancer Research, University of Oslo, Rikshospitalet Radiumhospitalet Medical Center, Oslo, Norway
J Clin Oncol 24:5503-11. 2006..Referral of late-relapsing patients to high-volume institutions ensures the best chances of cure and enables increasing understanding of tumor biology and the clinical course of these patients...
- Germ cell tumors of the gonads: a selective review emphasizing problems in differential diagnosis, newly appreciated, and controversial issuesThomas M Ulbright
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Clarian Health Partners and Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5280, USA
Mod Pathol 18:S61-79. 2005....
- The UK Children's Cancer Study Group: testicular malignant germ cell tumours 1979-1988S N Huddart
Children s Hospital, Birmingham, England
J Pediatr Surg 25:406-10. 1990..Seventy-one boys were alive, 48 of whom had been cured by orchidectomy alone. The remaining 25 patients received chemotherapy.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Testicular microlithiasis: our experience of 10 yearsDiana L Lam
University of California, Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, USA
J Ultrasound Med 26:867-73. 2007..The correlation between TM and testicular malignancies is variable. The purpose of this study was to review our 10-year experience regarding the prevalence of TM and its association with testicular malignancies...
- 12p-amplicon structure analysis in testicular germ cell tumors of adolescents and adults by array CGHGaetano Zafarana
Pathology Laboratory for Exp Patho Oncology, Erasmus MC Erasmus University Medical Center Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Oncogene 22:7695-701. 2003..These data support a mechanistic model in which at least two 12p genes, situated at the border regions of the amplicon, are positional candidates capable of actively supporting tumor progression in TGCTs...
- Genomic and gene expression signature of the pre-invasive testicular carcinoma in situKristian Almstrup
University Department of Growth and Reproduction, Section GR 5064, Rigshospitalet, Blegdamsvej 9, 2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Cell Tissue Res 322:159-65. 2005..The gene expression profile of CIS cells has remarkable similarity to that of embryonic stem cells and supports our long-standing hypothesis of an early developmental origin of CIS and testicular germ cell cancer...
- High-dose versus conventional-dose chemotherapy as first-salvage treatment in patients with non-seminomatous germ-cell tumors: a matched-pair analysisJ Beyer
Klinik für Hämatologie und Onkologie, Klinikum der Philipps Universität, Marburg, Germany
Ann Oncol 13:599-605. 2002..The purpose of this study was to compare high-dose chemotherapy (HDCT) with conventional-dose chemotherapy (CDCT) as first-salvage treatment in patients with relapsed or refractory non-seminomatous germ-cell tumors (NSGCT)...
- Testicular microlithiasis: a review and its association with testicular cancerHani H Rashid
Department of Urology, Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14652, USA
Urol Oncol 22:285-9. 2004..Therefore, follow-up at this time should be dictated based on risk factors for developing testis cancer more than on the presence of TM...
- Does testicular microlithiasis matter? A reviewF N A C Miller
Department of Radiology, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
Clin Radiol 57:883-90. 2002..Similarly, there is limited evidence to support the association with infertility. Not surprisingly, algorithms for the follow-up of patients with TM on ultrasound have been difficult to formulate...
- Combination chemotherapy with gemcitabine plus oxaliplatin in patients with intensively pretreated or refractory germ cell cancer: a study of the German Testicular Cancer Study GroupC Kollmannsberger
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of Tuebingen Medical Center, Otfried Mueller Strasse 10, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 22:108-14. 2004..This study investigates the activity of a gemcitabine plus oxaliplatin regimen in these patients...
- Body size, dairy consumption, puberty, and risk of testicular germ cell tumorsKatherine A McGlynn
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 7234, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:355-63. 2007..As adult height is largely determined in the first 2 years of life, increased attention to events in this interval may help elucidate the etiology of TGCTs...
- Germ cell tumors of the gonads: a selective review emphasizing problems in drug resistance and current therapy optionsMark Schrader
Department of Urology, Charite Universitatsmedizin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Oncology 76:77-84. 2009..This review article summarizes theoretical models for the high chemotherapy sensitivity of germ cell tumors and points out new therapeutic prospects...
- Biology of testicular germ cell tumorsSyed A Hussain
Cancer Research UK Institute for Cancer Studies, University of Birmingham, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 8:1659-73. 2008..Current understanding of the role of genetic and epigenetic factors in the etiology of germ cell tumors and the biochemical mechanisms underlying chemotherapy sensitivity and resistance is discussed in detail in this review...
- Diagnostic value of OCT3/4 for pre-invasive and invasive testicular germ cell tumoursJeroen de Jong
Department of Pathology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Pathol 206:242-9. 2005..The antibodies are robust and applicable with different methods of pretreatment and storage of tissue. This allows routine application of this diagnostic marker...
- Molecular targets for the treatment of testicular germ cell tumorsPaolo Chieffi
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, II Universita di Napoli, Napoli, Italy
Mini Rev Med Chem 7:755-9. 2007..In some cases the clinical trials have confirmed the efficacy of these approaches. Here, we will review the discovered molecular targets for the treatment of testicular germ cell tumors...
- The pluripotency homeobox gene NANOG is expressed in human germ cell tumorsAdam H Hart
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Cancer 104:2092-8. 2005..Here we investigate the expression and gene copy number of NANOG in human germ cells and tumors of germ cell origin...
- Malignant germ cell tumours of childhood: new associations of genomic imbalanceR D Palmer
MRC Cancer Cell Unit, Hutchison MRC Research Centre, Box 197, Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 2XZ, UK
Br J Cancer 96:667-76. 2007..This data provides new insight into the biology of this under-investigated tumour group and will direct future studies on the significance of specific genetic abnormalities...
- The Ter mutation in the dead end gene causes germ cell loss and testicular germ cell tumoursKirsten K Youngren
Department of Genetics and
Nature 435:360-4. 2005..TGCT development in the 129-Ter mouse strain models paediatric TGCT in humans. This work will have important implications for our understanding of the genetic control of TGCT pathogenesis and PGC biology...
- Guidelines on testicular cancerPeter Albers
Department of Urology, Klinikum Kassel GmbH Mönchebergstr 41 43, Kassel, Germany
Eur Urol 48:885-94. 2005..To up-date the 2001 version of the EAU testicular cancer guidelines...
- Spatial expression of germ cell markers during maturation of human fetal male gonads: an immunohistochemical studyKatharina Pauls
Institute of Pathology and Department of Developmental Pathology, University of Bonn, Germany
Hum Reprod 21:397-404. 2006..The aim of the present study was to examine fetal male germ cells for expression of proteins associated with differentiation and maturation and to compare them with morphologically defined subpopulations...
- Recent advances and future directions in research on testicular germ cell cancerEwa Rajpert-De Meyts
Int J Androl 30:192-7. 2007
- Pre-radiation chemotherapy with response-based radiation therapy in children with central nervous system germ cell tumors: a report from the Children's Oncology GroupC Kretschmar
Boston Floating Hospital for Infants and Children, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 48:285-91. 2007..This Phase II study was designed to determine response to chemotherapy and survival after response-based radiation (RT) in children with CNS germ cell tumors...
- Survival of non-seminomatous germ cell cancer patients according to the IGCC classification: An update based on meta-analysisMerel R van Dijk
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 42:820-6. 2006..This increase is most likely due to both more effective treatment strategies and more experience in treating NSGCT patients...
- The role of dead-end in germ-cell tumor developmentRui Zhu
Department of Cancer Genetics, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1120:181-6. 2007....
- Re-analysis of the Xq27-Xq28 region suggests a weak association of an X-linked gene with sporadic testicular germ cell tumour without cryptorchidismM F Lutke Holzik
Department of Surgical Oncology, University Medical Centre Groningen, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 42:1869-74. 2006..A testicular germ cell tumour (TGCT) predisposing gene has been mapped to the Xq27 region on the X chromosome. These linkage findings remain to be confirmed by other studies...
- Stem cell marker OCT3/4 in tumor biology and germ cell tumor diagnostics: history and futureJeroen de Jong
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC University Medical Center Rotterdam, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Daniel den Hoed, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Rev Oncog 12:171-203. 2006..An overview of the upstream and downstream factors in the OCT3/4 pathway as well as the epigenetic regulation of the gene is summarized and the possible role in oncogenesis considered...
- Chromosome X modulates incidence of testicular germ cell tumors in Ter miceShirley Hammond
Department of Cancer Genetics, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77005, USA
Mamm Genome 18:832-8. 2007..Thus, our studies provide unambiguous evidence that genetic factors from Chr X modulate the incidence of germ cell tumors in mice with inactivated Dnd1...
- Intensive induction chemotherapy with C-BOP/BEP for intermediate- and poor-risk metastatic germ cell tumours (EORTC trial 30948)S D Fossa
Department of Oncology, Norwegian Radium Hospital, University of Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Br J Cancer 93:1209-14. 2005..The treatment's toxicity is manageable in a multicentre setting. In poor prognosis patients, C-BOP/BEP should be compared to standard chemotherapy of four cycles of BEP...
- The management of poor-prognosis, non-seminomatous germ-cell tumoursB Sirohi
The Academic Unit of Radiotherapy and Oncology, The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust and The Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 17:543-52. 2005..To advance the management of this disease, physicians treating poor-prognosis disease are urged to support multi-centre trials, such as the recently launched MRC TE23 study comparing BEP and CBOP/BEP...
- Trans-generational epistasis between Dnd1Ter and other modifier genes controls susceptibility to testicular germ cell tumorsMan Yee J Lam
Department of Genetics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Hum Mol Genet 16:2233-40. 2007....
- Testicular cancer trends as 'whistle blowers' of testicular developmental problems in populationsN E Skakkebaek
University Department of Growth and Reproduction GR, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Int J Androl 30:198-204; discussion 204-5. 2007....
- Analysis of the DND1 gene in men with sporadic and familial testicular germ cell tumorsRachel Linger
Testicular Cancer Genetics Team, Section of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:247-52. 2008..Whether it is disease-causing or not, mutations in DND1 make, at most, a very small contribution to TGCT susceptibility in adults and adolescents...
- Retroperitoneal lymph node dissection for nonseminomatous germ cell testicular cancer: impact of patient selection factors on outcomeAndrew J Stephenson
Department of Urology, Sidney Kimmel Center for Prostate and Urologic Cancers, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:2781-8. 2005..Since 1999, our criteria have excluded patients with persistent postorchiectomy elevation of serum tumor markers (STM) or clinical stage (CS) IIB disease from RPLND...
- Congenital mixed malignant germ cell tumor involving cerebrum and orbitJui Chi Lee
Department of Obstetric and Gynecology, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, R O C
J Perinat Med 31:261-5. 2003..According to histological and immunohistochemical studies, the tumor was made up of predominantly immature teratoma combined with a yolk sac tumor. To our knowledge, such a combination has not been well documented in the literature...
- Molecular cytogenetic analysis of adult testicular germ cell tumours and identification of regions of consensus copy number changeB Summersgill
Section of Cell Biology, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Br J Cancer 77:305-13. 1998..These regions may contain genes involved in the divergent development of seminoma and non-seminoma...
- Clinical outcome and predictors of survival in late relapse of germ cell tumorDavid S Sharp
Department of Urology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 353 E 68th St, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:5524-9. 2008..Late relapse (LR) of germ cell tumor (GCT) is a well recognized entity associated with poor survival. We report on our experience with LR and determine predictors of survival...
- Pediatric malignant germ cell tumors show characteristic transcriptome profilesRoger D Palmer
MRC Cancer Cell Unit, Hutchison MRC Research Center, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 68:4239-47. 2008....
- POU5F1 (OCT3/4) identifies cells with pluripotent potential in human germ cell tumorsLeendert H J Looijenga
Pathology Lab for Exp Patho Oncology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Cancer Res 63:2244-50. 2003..Therefore, POU5F1 immunohistochemistry is an informative diagnostic tool for pluripotent GCT and offers new insights into the histological heterogeneity of this cancer...
- Persistent organochlorine pesticides and risk of testicular germ cell tumorsKatherine A McGlynn
Hormonal and Reproductive Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD 20852 7234, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:663-71. 2008..Exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals, such as persistent organochlorine pesticides, has been suggested to increase the risk of testicular germ cell tumors (TGCTs)...
- Embryonal sarcoma of adult and pediatric kidneys: report of a case with localized submucosal invasion of the renal pelvis and long-term survivalJ Ito
Department of Pathology, Kawasaki Hospital affiliated with Kawasaki Medical School, Okayama, Japan
Pathol Int 50:832-8. 2000..Despite the remarkable intravenous encroachment, the patient has remained well without a recurrence for more than 26 years after a simple nephrectomy. The present case report expands our understanding of the biological nature of CESK...
- Cystic embryonal sarcoma of the kidneyHiroaki Matsumoto
Department of Urology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Urol 168:2164-5. 2002
- Cystic undifferentiated sarcoma of liver in children: a pitfall diagnosis in endemic hydatidosis areasSlim Charfi
Laboratoire d anatomie et de cytologie pathologiques, CHU Habib Bourguiba, Sfax 3029, Tunisia
J Pediatr Surg 43:E1-4. 2008..Adjuvant chemotherapy was instituted. She remained well at 11 months of follow-up. Cystic appearance is a usual finding in UES. Differential diagnosis with hydatid cyst may be problematic in endemic hydatidosis areas...
- Equivalence of three or four cycles of bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin chemotherapy and of a 3- or 5-day schedule in good-prognosis germ cell cancer: a randomized study of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary TrR de Wit
Rotterdam Cancer Institute and University Hospital, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Oncol 19:1629-40. 2001..To test the equivalence of three versus four cycles of bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin (BEP) and of the 5-day schedule versus 3 days per cycle in good-prognosis germ cell cancer...
- Serum organochlorine pesticide residues and risk of testicular germ cell carcinoma: a population-based case-control studyMary L Biggs
Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health and Community Medicine, University of Washington, Box 354922, Seattle, WA 98195 4922, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:2012-8. 2008..Due to uncertainty regarding how well organochlorine levels measured in adulthood reflect exposures during early life, further research is needed using exposure measurements collected in utero or during infancy...
- Embryonal sarcoma of the liver mimicking a hydatid cyst in an adultS Aggarwal
Department of Surgical Disciplines, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi-110 029, India
Trop Gastroenterol 22:141-2. 2001..The present report describes a sixteen year old girl who presented with a large hepatic mass mimicking a hydatid cyst: clinically, radiologically and on serology...
- Pluripotent human stem cell lines: what we can learn about cancer initiationTamra E Werbowetski-Ogilvie
McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute, 1200 Main St West, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
Trends Mol Med 14:323-32. 2008..By comparing transformed hPSCs with their normal counterparts, we hope to develop novel cell-specific therapies that selectively target CSCs...
- Treatment and prognosis of patients with intracranial nongerminomatous malignant germ cell tumors: a multiinstitutional retrospective analysis of 41 patientsKazuhiko Ogawa
Department of Radiology, University of the Ryukyus, School of Medicine, Okinawa, Japan
Cancer 98:369-76. 2003..The authors retrospectively investigated the results of different treatment regimens in patients with these tumors...
- Undifferentiated embryonal sarcoma of the liver in adultsFrank Lenze
Department of Medicine B, University of Muenster, Muenster, Germany
Cancer 112:2274-82. 2008..Data regarding the treatment and survival of adults have not been reviewed comprehensively, and only a few adult patients with UESL have been reported in the literature...
- Epidemiological study of primary intracranial tumors in childhood. A population-based survey in Kumamoto Prefecture, JapanJ Kuratsu
Department of Neurosurgery, Kumamoto University Medical School, Japan
Pediatr Neurosurg 25:240-6; discussion 247. 1996....
- Liver transplant for relapsed undifferentiated embryonal sarcoma in a young childMichael J Kelly
Department of Pediatrics, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Pediatr Surg 44:e1-3. 2009..The patient has been in continuous clinical remission for the last 5 years...
- Survival of metastatic germ cell cancer patients assessed by international germ cell consensus classification in JapanIchiro Shintaku
Department of Urology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 1 Seiryo machi, Aoba ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980 8574, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 38:281-7. 2008..Since the IGCC classification was based on patients treated between 1975 and 1990, we aimed to investigate whether survival has improved for more recently treated Japanese patients...
- Human endogenous retrovirus rec interferes with germ cell development in mice and may cause carcinoma in situ, the predecessor lesion of germ cell tumorsUwe M Galli
Department of Virology, Bldg 47, University of Saarland Medical School, 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
Oncogene 24:3223-8. 2005..This provides the first direct evidence that the expression of a human endogenous retroviral gene previously established as a marker in human germ cell tumors may contribute to organ-specific tumorigenesis in a transgenic mouse model...
- Genome-wide linkage screen for testicular germ cell tumour susceptibility lociGillian P Crockford
Genetic Epidemiology Division, Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
Hum Mol Genet 15:443-51. 2006..Overall, the results indicate that no single major locus can account for the majority of the familial aggregation of TGCT, and suggests that multiple susceptibility loci with weak effects contribute to the disease...
- Clinical management of primary central nervous system germ cell tumorsMasao Matsutani
Department of Neurosurgery, Saitama Medical School, Saitama, Japan
Semin Oncol 31:676-83. 2004..Ongoing phase II studies with combined chemotherapy and radiation therapy for non-germinomatous tumors will result in a 5-year survival rate of greater than 50%, which is better than that achieved by radiation therapy alone...
- Primary intracranial germ-cell tumors. A retrospective analysis with special reference to long-term results of treatment and the behavior of rare types of tumorsN Sakai
Department of Neurosurgery, Gifu University, School of Medicine, Japan
Acta Oncol 27:43-50. 1988..A review of the literature is included...
- Part I: testicular cancer--management of early diseaseRobert H Jones
Cancer Research UK Molecular Oncology Group, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, School of Medical Sciences, University Walk, Bristol, UK
Lancet Oncol 4:730-7. 2003..There is no consensus about the management of early non-seminomatous testicular cancer because survival is almost 100% irrespective of the initial treatment decision...
- Ovarian carcinoma associated with pregnancy: a clinicopathologic analysis of 23 cases and review of the literatureNadereh Behtash
Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship from Tehran University Of Medical Science, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Science, Shahid Sadoughi Hospital, Yazd, Iran
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 8:3. 2008..The aim of this study was to analyze and describe cases of ovarian cancer in pregnant women treated at our center and to review the literature concerned, and to discuss the rationale for therapy...
- p53 protein alterations in human testicular cancer including pre-invasive intratubular germ-cell neoplasiaJ Bartkova
Masaryk Institute of Oncology, Brno, Czechoslovakia
Int J Cancer 49:196-202. 1991....
- Common variation in KITLG and at 5q31.3 predisposes to testicular germ cell cancerPeter A Kanetsky
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Nat Genet 41:811-5. 2009..All of the genotypes were associated with both seminoma and nonseminoma TGCT subtypes. These results demonstrate that common genetic variants affect TGCT risk and implicate KITLG and SPRY4 as genes involved in TGCT susceptibility...
- High-dose chemotherapy and stem-cell rescue for metastatic germ-cell tumorsLawrence H Einhorn
Division of Hematology Oncology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, USA
N Engl J Med 357:340-8. 2007..Metastatic testicular tumors that have not been successfully treated by means of initial chemotherapy are potentially curable with salvage chemotherapy...
- State-of-the-art approach in selective curable tumors: germ cell tumorsG Rustin
Mount Vernon Cancer Centre, Department of Medical Oncology, Northwood, UK
Ann Oncol 19:vii161-5. 2008
- [Testis germ cell tumours: which chemotherapy, for which patients?]A Flechon
Departement de cancerologie medicale, Centre Lóon Bérard, 28, rue Laennec, 69008 Lyon, France
Ann Urol (Paris) 41:56-67. 2007..Patients with stage I disease may receive one cycle of carboplatin. Salvage chemotherapy is based on the combination of ifosfamide, cisplatine and either vinblastine or paclitaxel...
- Surgery in infants and children with testicular and paratesticular tumours: a single centre experience over a 25-year-periodR B Tröbs
Kinderchirurgische Klinik, Marienhospital Herne, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Widumer Strasse 8, 44627 Herne
Klin Padiatr 219:146-51. 2007..3. The presence of sufficient healthy testicular parenchyma. However, the high rate of malignant or potentially malignant tumours suggests that high inguinal orchidectomy should remain the surgical standard of therapy...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy for stage II nonseminomatous germ cell tumorsG Varuni Kondagunta
Genitourinary Oncology Service, Division of Solid Tumor Oncology, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Urol Clin North Am 34:179-85; abstract ix. 2007..In contrast, patients who have high-volume nodal involvement at RPLND have a relapse rate of 50% to 90% with surveillance alone, and adjuvant chemotherapy is the preferable option in this group...
- [Chemotherapy for metastatic germ cell tumours of the testis]Stephane Culine
Centre Regional de Lutte contre le Cancer Val d Aurelle, Montpellier Cedex
Rev Prat 57:385-8. 2007..The cure rates after chemotherapy and surgery are about 90% and 50% in good-risk and poor-risk patients, respectively...
- Molecular genetic evidence supporting the neoplastic nature of stromal cells in 'fibrosis' after chemotherapy for testicular germ cell tumoursL Cheng
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Pathol 213:65-71. 2007....
- Is the blood-brain barrier relevant in metastatic germ cell tumor?Jose M Azar
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 69:163-6. 2007..We propose to document that the BBB is also relevant in germ cell tumors despite their dramatic chemosensitivity...
- Cyclin D as a Retinoid Differentiation Molecular TargetEthan Dmitrovsky; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Immunity to stem cell antigens in preneoplastic gammopathyMadhav V Dhodapkar; Fiscal Year: 2013..These studies have direct implications for approaches to boost host immunity against myeloma stem cells and harnessing properties of host response for risk assessment and early detection of cancer. ..
- Targets of Ewing Sarcoma-Wilms Tumor 1 OncoproteinDaniel Haber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation- Medulloblastoma Growth by alpha-v integrinsTobey Macdonald; Fiscal Year: 2006..The long-range goal of this work is to broaden our understanding of medulloblastoma growth, so that novel biologic therapies may be developed into new treatments for medulloblastoma, the most common malignant brain tumor in children. ..
- Myc Signaling in MedulloblastomasCharles Eberhart; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, in Specific Aim 4 we propose developing a novel medulloblastoma transgenic model by overexpressing c-Myc in the cerebellum of transgenic mice. ..
- Mechanism of DNA Damage Recognition in Higher EukaryotesSuk Hee Lee; Fiscal Year: 2005..Various mutants of damage recognition factors (RPA and XPC) will be used to examine any unique role these proteins possess in 3' and 5' incising. ..
- Testicular Cancer Susceptibility Genes on Mouse Chr 19.Angabin Matin; Fiscal Year: 2009..The consomic and congenic strains with varying TGCT predisposition are valuable resources for the dissection of the biology of PGC transformation. ..
- COMMUNITY INTERVENTION TO INCREASE MAMMOGRAPHY SCREENINGVictoria Champion; Fiscal Year: 2003..The primary outcomes at six month and 21 months will be tested by a chi-square statistic using logistic regression with two degrees of freedom. Cost effectiveness analysis is planned for the third aim. ..
- Oregon Prostate Cancer Conference 2001TOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Resistance and Response Mechanisms to Prostate Cancer TherapyTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will test the effectiveness of novel treatments that exploit newly discovered targets in the laboratory and lay the foundation for human trials to develop effective prostate cancer treatment. ..
- Tumor metastasis: Biobehavioral mechanismsAnil K Sood; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- A Novel Vitamin D Target in Human Prostate CancerTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2007..New treatment targets are needed to develop new drugs to treat prostate cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second-leading cancer killer in US men. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pirfenidone in Children with PNs in NF1Roger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2006..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Acupuncture for hot flashes in prostate cancer patientsTOMASZ BEER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The overall goal is to provide prostate cancer patients an effective, low toxicity, non-pharmacologic treatment modality for hot flashes. ..
- Promoting Breast Cancer Screening Via Computer V PhoneVictoria Champion; Fiscal Year: 2008..Stage of mammography adoption will be tested using logistic regression with ordinal outcome. Traditional cost and marginal cost-effectiveness analyses are planned. ..
- Molecular Basis Of Renal Cell Carcinoma Response to SU11428Robert J Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2011..These tumor and cell line-based studies lay a foundation for further molecular studies aimed at understanding the sensitivity/resistance of RCC to SU11248. ..
- PEDIATRIC BRAIN TUMOR RESEARCH CENTERSusan Blaney; Fiscal Year: 2003..It offers leadership in the development of new agents, in new uses of sophisticated radiotherapy, and in the application of new approaches to brain tumor therapy. ..
- 90Y-DOTA-TYR3-OCTREOTIDE IN CHILDREN W/SOMATOSTATIN REC*M O DORISIO; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided. ..
- Aged Middle EarMICHAELANNE GRATTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments may reveal a heretofore unrecognized component of the hearing loss seen in the elderly population. ..
- RADIORECEPTOR GUIDED SURGERY OF NEURAL CREST TUMORSM O DORISIO; Fiscal Year: 2003..Patients will be recruited from our nationally recognized, multidisciplinary neuroendocrine tumor clinic to participate in this trial of image guided surgical therapy. ..
- CHILDRENS NATIONAL MEDICAL CENTERRoger Packer; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Cardiovascular Risk in Testicular Cancer SurvivorsDavid Vaughn; Fiscal Year: 2004..However, prior to initiating an intervention study, these parameters need to be explicated. ..
- CLINICAL TRIALS AND MENTORING IN ONCOLOGY RESEARCHRobert Motzer; Fiscal Year: 2003..One recently joined staff at MSKCC in the Genito-urinary Section. Mentoring of clinical trials is extended beyond fellowship to junior faculty members. ..
- Testicular tumor susceptibility at the agouti locusJASON HEANEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Chr19M, Ay/+ mice using BAG transgene complementation tests and conditional knockout mice, and 2) the TGCT frequency and expression levels of Raly and Eif2s2 in 129./W+ and 129.Chr19M, Avy/+ mice. ..
- RADIORECEPTOR GUIDED SURGERY OF NEURAL CREST TUMORSM O DORISIO; Fiscal Year: 2002..Patients will be recruited from our nationally recognized, multidisciplinary neuroendocrine tumor clinic to participate in this trial of image guided surgical therapy. ..
- Phase I Trial of 90Y Octreotide in Childhood Solid TumorM O DORISIO; Fiscal Year: 2002..The sst2 expression will be compared with tumor dosimetry and tumor response in order to determine if Real-time RT-PCR analysis of tumor receptor expression can predict response. ..
- Improving Item Bias Detection in Cancer Control ScalesPatrick Monahan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additionally, the findings will have broad applicability to detecting item bias in other scales. ..
- Academic Public Private Partnership ProgramM O DORISIO; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HRT USE AND RISK OF LOBULAR AND DUCTAL BREAST CANCERJanet Daling; Fiscal Year: 2004..of CHRT associated with alteration in the histologic characteristics, tumor cell proliferation, or expression of steroid hormone receptors, oncogenes, and cell cycle and cell death regulator proteins of lobular and ductal breast cancers? ..
- CALCIUM CHANNEL BLOCKERS IN BREAST CANCER ETIOLOGYJanet Daling; Fiscal Year: 2001..cimetidine, anti-depressants, lipid lowering drugs) frequently used by women in this age group. ..
- PEDIATRIC ONCOLOGY GROUP STUDIESThomas McLean; Fiscal Year: 2002....