Genomes and Genes
Summary: A malignant kidney tumor, caused by the uncontrolled multiplication of renal stem (blastemal), stromal (STROMAL CELLS), and epithelial (EPITHELIAL CELLS) elements. However, not all three are present in every case. Several genes or chromosomal areas have been associated with Wilms tumor which is usually found in childhood as a firm lump in a child's side or ABDOMEN.
- Renal function adaptation in children with unilateral renal tumors treated with nephron sparing surgery or nephrectomyFrancesco Cozzi
Pediatric Surgery Unit, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Urol 174:1404-8. 2005..We studied the natural history of renal function following removal of different amounts of renal mass in a cohort of children with unilateral renal tumors...
- Immediate nephrectomy versus preoperative chemotherapy in the management of non-metastatic Wilms' tumour: results of a randomised trial (UKW3) by the UK Children's Cancer Study GroupChristopher Mitchell
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, and UKCCSG Data Centre, University of Leicester, UK
Eur J Cancer 42:2554-62. 2006....
- Treatment of anaplastic histology Wilms' tumor: results from the fifth National Wilms' Tumor StudyJeffrey S Dome
Department of Hematology Oncology, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2352-8. 2006..An objective of the fifth National Wilms' Tumor Study (NWTS-5) was to evaluate the efficacy of treatment regimens for anaplastic histology Wilms' tumor (AH)...
- Imaging accuracy and incidence of Wilms' and non-Wilms' renal tumors in childrenDoug Miniati
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Michael E DeBakey Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:1301-7. 2008..The purpose of this study is to determine the actual incidence, age distribution, and preoperative imaging accuracy of non-Wilms' tumors (nWT) in children with renal masses...
- The prognostic significance of angiogenesis and the effect of vascular endothelial growth factor on angiogenic process in Wilms' tumourYasemin Ozluk
Istanbul University, Istanbul Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Turkey
Pathology 38:408-14. 2006....
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of Wilms tumors with a favorable histology in Japan: a report from the Study Group for Pediatric Solid Malignant Tumors in the Kyushu Area, JapanSachiyo Suita
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kyushu University, Kyushu University, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
J Pediatr Surg 41:1501-5. 2006Since 1996, the standard treatment of Wilms tumors in Japan has been based on the regimen of the Japanese Wilms Tumor Study...
- Scheduling for radiotherapy simulation in children with a renal massHeather S Kaiser
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 23:275-6. 2006
- Primary hepatic metastases in nephroblastoma--a report of the SIOP/GPOH StudyPhilipp Szavay
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, University of Tuebingen, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 41:168-72; discussion 168-72. 2006..Despite this fact, there is a small group of patients who have tumor lesions in the liver primarily representing a challenge in treatment. Data of this group are analyzed...
- Management of hyperplastic nephroblastomatosisFrancesco Cozzi
Pediatr Blood Cancer 46:263. 2006
- [Childhood kidney tumors -- the relevance of imaging]J P Schenk
Abteilung Pädiatrische Radiologie, Universitätsklinik Heidelberg
Radiologe 45:1112-23. 2005..In summary, diagnostic imaging in renal tumors in children plays a role in differential diagnosis, staging, monitoring of therapy, and surgical planning...
- Bilateral Wilms' tumors: a single-center experience with 19 casesAlastair J W Millar
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Red Cross Children s Hospital, School of Child and Adolescent Health, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
J Pediatr Surg 40:1289-94. 2005..The primary aim of management is eradication of neoplasm, while at the same time preserving of renal function...
- WT1 gene analysis in sporadic early-onset and bilateral wilms tumor patients without associated abnormalitiesDaniela Perotti
Department of Experimental Oncology and Laboratories, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:197-201. 2005..responsible for two different genetic conditions characterized by genitourinary anomalies and susceptibility to Wilms tumor (WT): the WAGR syndrome and the Denys-Drash syndrome...
- Wilms' tumor--single-center experience with renal surgeryFlorian Seseke
Department of Urology, Georg August University, Gottingen, Germany
Scand J Urol Nephrol 38:373-7. 2004..To analyze the perioperative complications of renal surgery in a sample of patients with Wilms' tumor (WT), especially with regard to the effects of preoperative chemotherapy...
- [Wilms' tumour of unfavorable histology--results of treatment with the SIOP 93-01 protocol at the Gdańsk centre. Preliminary report]Joanna Stefanowicz
Klinika Pediatrii, Hematologii, Onkologii i Endokrynologii, Akademia Medyczna, Debinki 7, 80 211 Gdansk, Poland
Med Wieku Rozwoj 8:197-200. 2004..Wilms' tumour is the most common primary renal tumour of childhood. The aim or the study was to evaluate the results of treatment in patients with unfavourable histology Wilms' tumour...
- Wilms' tumor: the experience of the pediatric unit of Kasr El-Aini center of radiation oncology and nuclear medicine (NEMROCK)Hisham H Abd El-Aal
The Department of Clinical Oncology, Pediatric Oncology Unit, Faculty of Medicine Cairo University
J Egypt Natl Canc Inst 17:308-14. 2005..The aim of the present work is to study the treatment results of Wilms' tumor patients who had attended the pediatric unit of Kasr El-Aini center of radiation oncology and nuclear Medicine (NEMROCK) from January 1994 to January 2001...
- [Urogenital malformations associated with Wilms' tumor. Molecular genetic and clinical aspects]V Zugor
Urologische Klinik mit Poliklinik, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Erlangen
Urologe A 46:146, 148-9. 2007..If this gene has a functional change, then this role is no longer possible. The consequence is the development of nephrotic syndrome and possibly of a Wilms' tumor...
- [Risk factors for perioperative complications in renal surgery for Wilms' tumor]F Seseke
Klinik für Urologie, Georg August Universitat, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075 Gottingen
Aktuelle Urol 38:46-51. 2007..Therefore, risk factors of perioperative complications were analysed in our series of patients with Wilms' tumor with a special focus on the effects of preoperative chemotherapy...
- Immunohistochemical analysis of gamma catenin in Wilms' tumorsGordana Basta-Jovanovic
Institute of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Fetal Pediatr Pathol 27:63-70. 2008..In 2 metastatic cases and in the case of bilateral Wilms' tumor gamma-catenin immunostaining was not observed Our findings suggest an absence of strong correlation between the loss of gamma-catenin and unfavorable outcome...
- Avoiding misdiagnosing neuroblastoma as Wilms tumorPaxton V Dickson
Department of Surgery, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:1159-63. 2008Although occasionally difficult, distinguishing abdominal neuroblastoma (NBL) from Wilms tumor (WT) at presentation is important, as surgical management differs significantly...
- Wilms tumor genetics: mutations in WT1, WTX, and CTNNB1 account for only about one-third of tumorsE Cristy Ruteshouser
Department of Cancer Genetics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 47:461-70. 2008b>Wilms tumor is genetically heterogeneous, and until recently only one Wilms tumor gene was known, WT1 at 11p13. However, WT1 is altered in only approximately 20% of Wilms tumors. Recently a novel gene, WTX at Xq11...
- The use of preoperative chemotherapy in Wilms' tumor with contained retroperitoneal rupturePeter F Ehrlich
J Pediatr Surg 43:415-6; author reply 416-7. 2008
- Outcome after pulmonary radiotherapy in Wilms' tumor patients with pulmonary metastases at diagnosis: a UK Children's Cancer Study Group, Wilms' Tumour Working Group StudyGary Nicolin
Department of Pediatric Hematology Oncology, John Radcliffe Hospital and University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:175-80. 2008....
- Surgical implications for liver metastases in nephroblastoma--data from the SIOP/GPOH studyJoerg Fuchs
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, University of Tuebingen, Hoppe Seyler Strasse 3, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Surg Oncol 17:33-40. 2008..This group seems to have a worse prognosis in terms of survival. The treatment and outcome of patients with a hepatic recurrence were analyzed compared to previously published data of patients with primary hepatic metastases...
- [Systemic therapy in children and adolescents]B Kremens
Klinik für Kinderheilkunde 3, Hämatologie, Onkologie, Pulmologie, Zentrum für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Universitatsklinikum, 45122 Essen
Urologe A 46:1404-6. 2007..In a multimodal treatment strategy, the role of chemotherapy as well as that of surgery and radiotherapy can differ, as is described for nephroblastoma, infant neuroblastoma, and stage 4 neuroblastoma...
- Renal function outcomes in patients treated with nephron sparing surgery for bilateral Wilms tumorDana W Giel
Division of Pediatric Urology, University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
J Urol 178:1786-9; discussion 1789-90. 2007Management of bilateral Wilms tumor represents a particular challenge in the consideration of long-term renal function for affected patients...
- Raised risk of Wilms tumour in patients with aniridia and submicroscopic WT1 deletionVeronica van Heyningen
J Med Genet 44:787-90. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine if there is a significant difference in the risk of developing Wilms tumour between patients with submicroscopic and those with visible deletions of the WT1 tumour suppressor gene...
- Results of novel strategies for treatment of Wilms' tumorSilvio Tucci
Division of Urology, Ribeirao Preto Medical School, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Braz J Urol 33:195-201; discussion 201-3. 2007..To evaluate treatment outcomes in Wilms' tumor (WT)...
- [Treatment of advanced Wilms' tumor]Min ju Li
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Children s Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou 310003, China
Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi 28:791-5. 2006....
- Renal and adrenal tumours in childrenKieran McHugh
Department of Radiology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London WC1N 3JH, UK
Cancer Imaging 7:41-51. 2007....
- [Multicystic renal tumor in a patient with WAGR syndrome]K P Braun
Urologische Klinik, Lehrkrankenhaus der Universitätsklinik Charité zu Berlin, Carl Thiem Klinikum Cottbus GmbH, Thiemstrasse 111, 03048 Cottbus, Germany
Urologe A 46:671-4. 2007..Based on the image morphology in connection with the deletion of the WT1 gene, the tentative diagnosis of a nephroblastoma had to be made. The study protocol of the SIOP does not permit another therapy algorithm...
- [Stage IV Wilms' tumour -- analysis of treatment results, according to the SIOP 93-01 protocol, at the Medical University of Gdańsk]Joanna Stefanowicz
Klinika Pediatrii, Hematologii, Onkologii i Endokrynologii, Akademia Medyczna, Debinki 7, 80 211 Gdansk, Poland
Med Wieku Rozwoj 8:193-6. 2004..To evaluate the results of treatment in patients with Wilm's' tumor in stage IV at the Gdansk Medical University Centre...
- Long-term outcome of nephron sparing surgery and simple nephrectomy for unilateral localized Wilms tumorAugusto Zani
Pediatric Surgery Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Urol 173:946-8; discussion 948. 2005We retrospectively assessed survival and local recurrence rates in children with unilateral localized Wilms tumor (WT) treated with nephron sparing surgery (NSS) or simple nephrectomy with removal only of the perirenal fat adherent to ..
- Nuclear accumulation of beta-catenin protein in Wilms' tumoursRobert Koesters
Division of Molecular Pathology, Department of Pathology, University Hospital of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
J Pathol 199:68-76. 2003....
- Imaging of neuroblastoma and Wilms' tumorJames S Meyer
Department of Radiology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 10:275-302. 2002....
- Neuroblastoma preoperatively treated as nephroblastoma: does inadequate therapy worsen the prognosis?B Hero
Kinderklinik der Universität Köln, Germany
Klin Padiatr 214:157-61. 2002..After subsequent surgical removal few tumours proved histologically to be neuroblastoma. We asked whether initial chemotherapy according to nephroblastoma trials would change the prognosis for those neuroblastoma patients...
- Expression and prognostic value Of CD44 isoforms in nephroblastoma (Wilms tumor)Mazen A Ghanem
Department of Pediatric Urology, Josephine Nefkens Institute, The Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Urol 168:681-6. 2002..An abnormal pattern of CD44 expression has been demonstrated in several human malignancies. We evaluate the prognostic value of standard CD44 (CD44s) and some of its isoforms in treating clinical Wilms tumor.
- Treatment of childhood Wilms' tumor without radiotherapy in NicaraguaF Baez
Manuel de Jaesus Rivera Hospital, La Mascota, Managua, Nicaragua
Ann Oncol 13:944-8. 2002..8-8 years) diagnosed between 1991 and 1996, and treated with chemotherapy (CT) and surgery at La Mascota Hospital, Managua, Nicaragua...
- Role of chest computed tomography at diagnosis in the management of Wilms' tumor: a study by the United Kingdom Children's Cancer Study GroupC M Owens
Department of Radiology, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children National Health Service Trust, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 20:2768-73. 2002....
- [Application of Ethyol during chemotherapy in patients with impaired kidney function. Description of three cases]E Drozynska
Klinika Pediatrii, Hematologii, Onkologii i Endokrynologii, Akademia Medyczna, Debinki 7, 80-211 Gdansk, Poland
Med Wieku Rozwoj 5:7-13. 2001..In these 3 cases Ethyol was used every lime before analogues of cisplatin were given. Tolerance and the effect of this protectant were good...
- Improved survival for patients with recurrent Wilms tumor: the experience at St. Jude Children's Research HospitalJeffrey S Dome
Department of Hematology Oncology St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105 2794, USA
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24:192-8. 2002Reported estimates of survival for patients with recurrent Wilms tumor are 24% to 43%...
- Nephroblastoma: multidrug-resistance P-glycoprotein expression in tumor cells and intratumoral capillary endothelial cellsFrancesca Diomedi Camassei
Department of Pathology, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital Research Institute, Rome, Italy
Am J Clin Pathol 117:484-90. 2002..Previous chemotherapy induced P-gp overexpression in tumor cells...
- Low frequency of genetic lesions in Wilms tumors by representational difference analysisM Cummings
CLIC Research Unit, Department of Pathology and Microbiology, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, University Walk, Bristol, BS8 1TD, UK
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 127:155-60. 2001..Genomic DNA from either short-term cultured Wilms tumor cells or a WT xenograft was used to create driver representations, and genomic DNA from matched normal kidney ..
- Differential expression of the drug resistance markers DNA topoisomerase II alpha and glutathione S-transferase-pi in the histological compartments of Wilms' tumorsB Granzen
Department of Children and Adolescents, University Hospital Aachen, Germany
Anticancer Res 21:771-6. 2001..In conclusion, preoperative chemotherapy led to compartment-specific alterations in the expression levels of both markers indicating a contribution to treatment response of Wilms' tumors...
- Surgical complications after primary nephrectomy for Wilms' tumor: report from the National Wilms' Tumor Study GroupM L Ritchey
Department of Surgery, University of Texas-Houston Medical School, USA
J Am Coll Surg 192:63-8; quiz 146. 2001BACKGROUND: Surgical complications are a recognized morbidity of the treatment of patients with Wilms tumor. This study examines the incidence of surgical complications in the most recently completed study from the National Wilms' Tumor ..
- Expression of SET, an inhibitor of protein phosphatase 2A, in renal development and Wilms' tumorS G Carlson
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 9:1873-80. 1998..Finally, high levels of set mRNA and SET protein expression were found in Wilms' tumor, but not in renal cell carcinoma, adult polycystic kidney disease or in transitional cell carcinoma...
- [Partial nephrectomy in unilateral Wilms tumor. New draft for a protocol of the SIOP]D Acosta
, Hospital Materno-Infantil Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona
Cir Pediatr 14:139-40. 2001..Wilms' tumor has a good prognosis with the actual protocol, SIOP. New pre protocol could give a better quality of life due to the amount of functional renal parenchyma, without decreasing the actual high cure rate...
- [Total nephrectomy in children: 11 years of experience in 80 cases]A Bouhafs
Service de chirurgie pédiatrique C, Hôpital d Enfants de Rabat, 15, lotissement Fanida et Leïla Souissi, Rabat 10000, Maroc
Ann Urol (Paris) 37:43-6. 2003..The main aetiology was nephroblastoma. No laparoscopic nephrectomy was realised. Follow-up was uneventful except for the troubles existing prior to surgery...
- Nephron-sparing procedures in 11 patients with Wilms' tumorK Linni
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University of Graz, Auenbruggerplatz 34, 8036 Graz, Austria
Pediatr Surg Int 19:457-62. 2003....
- [Renal neoplasms in children]Krystyna Sawicz-Birkowska
Klinika Chirurgii i Urologii Dzieciecej Akademii Medycznej we Wrocławiu
Przegl Lek 61:20-3. 2004..Nephroblastoma is the most common kidney tumor in Polish children...
- Frequency and heritability of WT1 mutations in nonsyndromic Wilms' tumor patients: a UK Children's Cancer Study Group StudySuzanne E Little
Paediatric Oncology Unit, The Royal Marsden NHS Trust, Downs Rd, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5PT United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 22:4140-6. 2004..We sought to ascertain the frequency and heritability of constitutional WT1 mutations in nonsyndromic WT patients...
- Doxorubicin for favorable histology, Stage II-III Wilms tumor: results from the National Wilms Tumor StudiesNorman E Breslow
Department of Biostatistics, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7232, USA
Cancer 101:1072-80. 2004..DOX) was added to dactinomycin plus vincristine as standard chemotherapy for patients who had Stage III Wilms tumor (WT) of favorable histology (FH). Double-agent chemotherapy was retained for patients with Stage II disease...
- Results of the SIOP 93-01/GPOH trial and study for the treatment of patients with unilateral nonmetastatic Wilms TumorH Reinhard
Klinik für Päd Onkologie und Hämatologie, Universitätsklinik für Kinder und Jugendmedizin, Homburg, Germany
Klin Padiatr 216:132-40. 2004The treatment of Wilms Tumor is integrated into clinical trials since the 1970's...
- Wilms' tumor and horseshoe kidneys: a case report and review of the literatureE Y Huang
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:207-12. 2004..The patient is disease free 40 months after diagnosis. A review of all reported cases of Wilms' tumor with horseshoe kidneys in the English-language literature before July 2002 is presented...
- Prophylactic bilateral nephrectomies in two paediatric patients with missense mutations in the WT1 geneMin Hu
Centre for Kidney Research, Department of Nephrology, The Children s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:223-6. 2004..WT1 is a signalling protein with 90% of WT1 mutations occurring in the WT1 zinc finger region as single nucleotide polymorphisms, the majority of which are missense mutations...
- Chylous ascites following surgical treatment for wilms tumorAdam C Weiser
Division of Pediatric Urology, Schneider s Children s Hospital Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
J Urol 170:1667-9; discussion 1669. 2003Postoperative chylous ascites is a rare complication of retroperitoneal surgery that has considerable morbidity. We review the pathogenesis and management of chylous ascites following surgical treatment of Wilms tumor.
- Influence of radiation therapy delay on abdominal tumor recurrence in patients with favorable histology Wilms' tumor treated on NWTS-3 and NWTS-4: a report from the National Wilms' Tumor Study GroupJohn A Kalapurakal
Robert H Lurie Cancer Center, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 57:495-9. 2003....
- [Histologic and prognostic study of nephroblastoma in central Tunisia]L Amel
Service de médecine carcinologique, CHU Farhat Hached, Sousse 4000, Tunisie
Ann Urol (Paris) 37:164-9. 2003..The overall 5 years survival was 80%; tumour relapse was only independent prognosis factor in multivariate analysis (P < 0.01). Prognosis of nephroblastoma has been improved with chemotherapy and the pluridisciplinar treatment...
- Older age is an adverse prognostic factor in stage I, favorable histology Wilms' tumor treated with vincristine monochemotherapy: a study by the United Kingdom Children's Cancer Study Group, Wilm's Tumor Working GroupK Pritchard-Jones
Department of Paediatric Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital Institute of Cancer Research, Brookes Lawley Bldg, Cotswold Rd, Sutton, Surrey, SM2 5NG, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 21:3269-75. 2003....
- Partial nephrectomy for unilateral Wilms tumor: results of study SIOP 93-01/GPOHFrank Martin Haecker
Division of Pediatric Surgery, University Children s Hospital Basel, PO Box CH 4005 Basel, Switzerland
J Urol 170:939-42; discussion 943-4. 2003We evaluate results and long-term outcome after partial nephrectomy (PN) for unilateral Wilms tumor (ulWT) in relation to different histological features, performed as initial surgery or after induction chemotherapy (ChT).
- Outcome of children with cystic partially differentiated nephroblastoma treated with or without chemotherapyMartin L Blakely
Department of Surgery, University of Texas, Houston, TX, USA
J Pediatr Surg 38:897-900. 2003..The purpose of this report is to examine the outcome of children with CPDN, after nephrectomy, treated with vincristine and dactinomycin based chemotherapy (+/- doxorubicin) or no chemotherapy...
- [Cover image. Bilateral nephroblastomatosis with secondary Wilms tumor manifestations]M S Horger
Rofo 175:453-4. 2003
- Identification of constitutional WT1 mutations, in patients with isolated diffuse mesangial sclerosis, and analysis of genotype/phenotype correlations by use of a computerized mutation databaseC Jeanpierre
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U423
Am J Hum Genet 62:824-33. 1998..Denys-Drash syndrome (DDS), or diffuse mesangial sclerosis (DMS) associated with pseudohermaphroditism and/or Wilms tumor (WT)...