Summary: Non-neoplastic tumor-like lesions at joints, developed from the SYNOVIAL MEMBRANE of a joint through the JOINT CAPSULE into the periarticular tissues. They are filled with SYNOVIAL FLUID with a smooth and translucent appearance. A synovial cyst can develop from any joint, but most commonly at the back of the knee, where it is known as POPLITEAL CYST.
Publications199 found, 100 shown here
- Lumbar synovial cysts of the spine: an evaluation of surgical outcomeAmir M Khan
Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:127-31. 2005..Our aim was to study the outcomes and results of surgically treated patients with synovial cysts of the lumbar spine in our institution...
- Synovial cyst in a posterior lumbar joint associated with sacralization at L5. Description of a caseM Mariconda
Cattedra di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, , Catanzaro
Chir Organi Mov 86:65-8. 2001..A rare case of synovial cyst of the posterior joint of L5-S1 associated with sacralization of L5, a congenital anomaly that determines ..
- [Suprascapular nerve entrapment by a ganglion cyst: a case report]Rifat Erginer
Istanbul Universitesi Cerrahpaşa Tip Fakültesi Ortopedi ve Travmatoloji Anabilim Dali, Istanbul
Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 37:73-8. 2003..A year after the operation recurrence of the lesion was detected. Arthroscopic control showed no intrarticular lesion. The patient still experiences minimal pain from time to time...
- Postsurgical ossified extradural cyst of the lumbar spine: a case reportH Saito
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Meijo Hospital, Nagoya, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:386-8. 1996....
- Recurrent cutaneous metaplastic synovial cystKalyan M Chakravarthy
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Victoria Hospital, East Grinstead, West Sussex, England
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e42-4. 2007Reported here is the first case of a recurrent cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst (CMSC)...
- Haemorrhagic synovial cyst of the posterior cruciate ligament: a case reportSibin Surendran
Department of Orthopedics, Daejeon St Mary s Hospital, 520 2, Daehung Dong, Jung Gu, Daejeon, 301 723 Korea
Knee 14:55-8. 2007..We report here on a case of haemorrhagic synovial cyst arising from the posterior cruciate ligament with extension into the posterior compartment of the knee joint...
- Hemorrhagic synovial cyst: the possible role of initial trauma and subsequent microtrauma in its pathogenesis: case reportRisheng Xu
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Neurosurgery 68:E858-65; discussion E865. 2011..The pathogenesis of these cysts are unclear, and risk factors that may contribute to hemorrhagic complications are largely unknown...
- Spontaneous hemorrhage into a lumbar synovial cystMarta Cicuendez
Departamento de Neurocirugia, Hospital 12 de Octubre, Av Andalucia km 5 4, 28041 Madrid, Spain
Eur Spine J 19:S190-2. 2010..These cysts generally appear in the context of degenerative lumbar spinal disease. Few cases of spontaneous hemorrhage into synovial cysts have been reported in the literature...
- Microsurgical excision without fusion as a safe option for resection of synovial cyst of the lumbar spine: long-term follow-up in mono-institutional experienceA Landi
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Rome Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Neurosurg Rev 35:245-53; discussion 253. 2012....
- Unusual presentation of a ganglion cyst of the temporomandibular joint: case report and distinction from synovial cystZiad A Ali
University of Texas Houston Medical School, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, Houston, TX 77096, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1300-2. 2006
- Symptomatic epidural hematoma caused by lumbar synovial cyst rupture: report of two cases and review of the literatureScott D Wait
Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Neurosurgery 56:E1157; discussion E1157. 2005..Hemorrhagic rupture of a juxtafacet cyst and the resulting epidural hematoma may cause chronic and/or acute cauda equina compression...
- Synovial cyst of the transverse ligament of the atlas in a patient with os odontoideum and atlantoaxial instabilityH Chang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Uijongbu St Mary s Hospital, College of Medicine, Catholic University of Korea, Kyunggi Do, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:741-4. 2000..OBJECTIVE: To describe the diagnosis and successful treatment of a synovial cyst arising from the transverse ligament in a patient with os odontoideum and atlantoaxial instability...
- Intra-articular synovial cyst of the knee joint: a case reportTakatomo Mine
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Hospital Organization Kanmon Medical Center, Yamaguchi, Japan
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 18:248-50. 2010Synovial cysts occur secondary to injury, mucinous degeneration or tumours. We report a patient with snapping of the knee joint caused by a synovial cyst located near the patellofemoral joint which developed as a result of minor trauma.
- [Synovial cyst of the temporomandibular joint]R Moatemri
Service de stomatologie et chirurgie maxillofaciale, CHU Sahloul, 4054 Sousse, Tunisie
Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 108:241-2. 2007A 30-year-old patient presented with a left painful pre-auricular tumefaction for one year. CT-scan suggested the diagnosis of temporomandibular synovial cyst or first branchial cleft cyst. This was confirmed by surgery.
- Synovial cyst of the temporomandibular joint: a case report and literature reviewA Spinzia
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 40:874-7. 2011..The authors report a case of a synovial cyst of the TMJ in a 45-year-old woman...
- Proximal tibiofibular joint synovial cyst--one pathology with three different presentationsS M Javad Mortazavi
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Imam Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 14:875-9. 2006..We report three cases of such synovial cysts: (1) the synovial cyst presented as an asymptomatic lump distal to lateral joint line of the knee; (2) the synovial cyst presented as ..
- Spontaneous resolution of an intraspinal synovial cystPaul G Swartz
University Diagnostic Institute, University of South Florida College of Medicine, 3301 Alumni Drive, Tampa, FL 33512 9413, USA
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24:1261-3. 2003We report a case of lumbar facet joint synovial cyst at L5-S1 with clinically significant radicular pain diagnosed by means of MR imaging. This cyst spontaneously resolved, as determined on follow-up MR images obtained 18 months later...
- Double synovial cyst of the proximal tibiofibular joint confirmed by MRI as a cause of the peroneal tunnel syndromeH I Pećina
Department of Radiology Clinical Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Zagreb, Croatia
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 75:301-5. 2008The aim of this case report is to present an unusual double synovial cyst that arose from the proximal tibiofibular joint compressing the peroneal nerve in the peroneal tunnel and was unrecognized at the beginning...
- Technical and imaging report: fluoroscopic guidance for diagnosis and treatment of lumbar synovial cystJacob J Rauchwerger
Pain Management Center of Long Island, Long Island, New York 11570, USA
Pain Pract 11:180-4. 2011..This case report is the first to document the fluoroscopically-guided management of a lumbar synovial cyst in the pain medicine literature and highlights the knowledge and technical skills required when treating such ..
- Giant synovial cyst of knee treated arthroscopically through a cystic portalGautam M Shetty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Korea University Ansan Hospital, Ansan, South Korea
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 16:175-8. 2008..We describe a case of giant synovial cyst arising from the left knee and extending to the medial proximal calf in a 77-year old female who presented ..
- Large suprapatellar synovial cyst in a 12-year-old girl: arthroscopic decompressionTomislav Crnkovic
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, General County Hospital of Pozega, Pozega, Croatia
J Pediatr Orthop B 19:114-7. 2010In this study, we present a case of a very rare and large suprapatellar synovial cyst of the knee, which was successfully treated with an arthroscopic intra-articular decompression...
- Lumbar facet joint synovial cyst: percutaneous treatment with steroid injections and distention--clinical and imaging follow-up in 12 patientsN J Bureau
Department of Radiology, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Saint Luc, 1058 Saint Denis St, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H2X 3J4
Radiology 221:179-85. 2001..To determine the imaging characteristics of lumbar facet joint synovial cysts after percutaneous treatment with steroid injections and distention of the cyst and to correlate these findings with the clinical outcome...
- An unusual presentation of synovial cyst of the right kneeK K Solanki
Department of Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Rotorua, New Zealand
Intern Med J 33:387-8. 2003
- A hypothetical correlation between hyaluronic acid gel and development of cutaneous metaplastic synovial cystFrancesco Inchingolo
Department of Dental Sciences and Surgery, General Hospital, Bari, Italy
Head Face Med 6:13. 2010..Consequently, we made an external incision to remove the neoplasm: histological examination of the capsule revealed it to be a cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst.
- Cutaneous metaplastic synovial cystCharoen Choonhakarn
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, Srinagarind Hospital Medical School, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
J Dermatol 30:480-4. 2003Metaplastic synovial cyst of the skin is a recently recognized entity characterized by an intradermal nodule that usually occurs at the site of previous surgical trauma...
- [Arthroscopic treatment of dorsal wrist ganglia]C Dumontier
Institut de la Main, 6, square Jouvenet, 75016 Paris, France
Chir Main 25:S214-20. 2006..This variability in the recurrence rate also exists with open techniques. The only prospective and randomized study available to date found no differences between the two techniques, according to the recurrence rate...
- Combined femoral and obturator neuropathy caused by synovial cyst of the hipMoritz Stuplich
Department of Neurology, University Hospital of Bern, Inselspital, Freiburgstrasse 30, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Muscle Nerve 32:552-4. 2005..Magnetic resonance (MR) imaging disclosed a large synovial cyst of the underlying hip joint in the extrapelvic part of the iliopsoas and external obturator muscles, with ..
- Arthroscopic resection of wrist gangliaC Mathoulin
Institut de la Main, Clinique Jouvenet, 75016 Paris, France
Hand Surg 9:159-64. 2004..There were no complications. We had four recurrences. For the palmar cysts, our average follow-up was 26 months (range 12-39 months). There have been no recurrences to date...
- The treatment of dorsal wrist ganglia by radical excisionN R Clay
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Nottingham
J Hand Surg Br 13:187-91. 1988..Two ganglia have recurred and clinical review of 52 (84%) of the cases has shown that persistent discomfort following excision is not uncommon. One patient appears to have developed scapholunate instability...
- Cutaneous metaplastic synovial cystRebeca Goiriz
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:180-1. 2005
- Anterior wrist ganglionT W Wright
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905
J Hand Surg Am 19:954-8. 1994..Because of a large number of recurrences after nonoperative treatment, surgical excision is recommended as the primary definitive treatment for anterior wrist ganglions Aspiration and injection may provide palliative relief of symptoms...
- Cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst: unusual presentation with "a bag of worms"Yu Chih Lin
Department of Dermatology, National Taiwan University Hospital, and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Dermatol Surg 29:198-200. 2003Cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst (CMSC) is a rare cystic tumor that is unfamiliar to most dermatologists. A traumatic history usually precedes its onset. CMSC is often misdiagnosed as suture granuloma clinically...
- Metaplastic synovial cyst in male breastPratistadevi K Ramdial
Department of Pathology, Nelson R Mandela School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu Natal and Inkosi Albert Luthuli Central Hospital, Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Ann Diagn Pathol 9:219-22. 2005Metaplastic synovial cyst (synovial metaplasia of the skin) refers to a cyst lined by a membrane resembling hyperplastic synovial villi...
- Cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: report of a second caseAndrea Guala
Pediatria, Ospedale Castelli, ASL 14 Regione Piemonte, Verbania, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 30:59-61. 2008A cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst is a rare entity that is probably caused by trauma or surgery. We report the second case of cutaneous metaplastic synovial cyst in a child with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome...
- Conservative management of wrist ganglia. Aspiration versus steroid infiltrationG W Varley
Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Hand Surg Br 22:636-7. 1997..Almost all ganglia which recurred after one aspiration did not resolve with further aspirations. After aspiration and explanation of the benign nature of ganglia, only a quarter of patients requested surgical treatment...
- Reevaluation of the cause of the wrist ganglionH K Watson
Connecticut Combined Hand Service, Hartford Hospital
J Hand Surg Am 14:812-7. 1989..Persistent symptoms after ganglion excision should lead one to suspect underlying scaphoid instability...
- Isolated synovial cyst of the acromio-clavicular joint associated with joint degeneration and an intact rotator cuffGeorge M Kontakis
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Crete, University Hospital of Heraklion, Greece
Acta Orthop Belg 73:515-20. 2007..The lesion was proved to be a synovial cyst. Eighteen months postoperatively, the patient was asymptomatic and no recurrence of the cyst was evident.
- Knee synovial cyst presenting as iliotibial band friction syndromeM L Costa
The Institute of Orthopaedics, The Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Lane, Norwich NR4 7UZ, UK
Knee 11:247-8. 2004..the case of a 28-year-old competitive runner with iliotibial band (ITB) friction syndrome associated with a synovial cyst. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) did not demonstrate a fluid collection...
- Articular ganglia of the volar aspect of the wrist: arthroscopic resection compared with open excision. A prospective randomised studyLorenzo Rocchi
Hand Surgery Division, Department of Orthopedics, Gemelli Hospital of Rome, Catholic University, Rome, Italy
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 42:253-9. 2008..Midcarpal volar ganglia, however, should still be treated by open operation...
- Resolution of a synovial cyst of the lumbar spine without surgical therapy -- a case reportC Ewald
Klinik für Neurochirurgie, Klinikum der Friedrich Schiller Universität, Jena, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 66:147-51. 2005..We present the history of a patient suffering from sciatic pain caused by a synovial cyst at the level of L4/5, and we describe the spontaneous remission of the cyst, discussing the radiological and ..
- Transient femoral nerve palsy associated with a synovial cyst of the hip in a patient with spinal cord injuryK P Robinson
Arthroplasty Unit, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:107-8. 2007..An MRI scan confirmed a synovial cyst originating from the left hip joint, lying adjacent to the femoral nerve...
- Intra-articular cysts and ganglia of the knee: a report of nine patientsJanne Sarimo
Mehiläinen Sports Trauma Research Center, Kauppiaskatu 8, 20100 Turku, Finland
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 13:44-7. 2005..We believe that intra-articular cysts and ganglia of the knee can be symptomatic, and excellent or good results after cyst removal can be expected especially when there is little additional pathology...
- Lumbar synovial joint hematoma in a patient on anticoagulation treatmentAli Nourbakhsh
Division of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0165, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E300-2. 2007..Case report...
- Intraspinal lumbar synovial cysts: diagnosis and surgical managementR Indar
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, Essex, UK
Surgeon 2:141-4. 2004..Lumbar synovial cysts are a common association of facet joint degenerative disease. However, it is relatively rare for these cysts to cause symptoms of radiculopathy and nerve root compression...
- A ligamentum flavum hematoma presenting as an L5 radiculopathyKadir Kotil
Department of Neurosurgery, Haseki Educational and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 14:994-7. 2007..The most common cystic lesion in the lumbar spine is synovial cyst associated with the facet joints, but ligamentum flavum hematoma should be included in the differential ..
- MRI findings in the lumbar spines of asymptomatic, adolescent, elite tennis playersF Alyas
Department of Radiology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Stanmore, London, UK
Br J Sports Med 41:836-41; discussion 841. 2007..To describe magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings in the lumbar spine in asymptomatic elite adolescent tennis players, to serve as the baseline for a future prospective longitudinal cohort study...
- Multilevel bilateral calcified thoracic spinal synovial cystsRami Almefty
Semmes Murphey Clinic and Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Tennessee 38120, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 8:473-7. 2008....
- Treatment of labral tears with associated spinoglenoid cysts without cyst decompressionCecilie P Schroder
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Lovisenberg Deaconal Hospital, Lovisenberggt 17, 0440 Oslo, Norway
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:523-30. 2008..The purpose of the present study was to prospectively assess whether labral repair alone would lead to cyst resolution and pain relief...
- Myelopathic presentation of cervical juxtafacet cyst: a case reportErich Talamoni Fonoff
Neurosurgical Division, Department of Neurology, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E538-41. 2004..Case report...
- A ganglion cyst that developed from the infrapatellar fat pad of the kneeErhan Yilmaz
Department of Orthopaedics, Firat University, Medical Faculty, Elazig, Turkey
Arthroscopy 20:e65-8. 2004..At the 1-year follow-up examination, the patient's left knee was completely asymptomatic with full range of motion and no recurrence. Ganglion cyst should be considered in the differential diagnosis of intra-articular masses...
- Synovial cysts of the thoracic spineAaron A Cohen-Gadol
Departments of Neurologic Surgery and Diagnostic Radiology, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 1:52-7. 2004..They also review the literature to discuss the potential factors involved in the pathogenesis of this lesion...
- Lumbar synovial cysts: a review of diagnosis, surgical management, and outcome assessmentNancy E Epstein
Department of Neurological Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 17:321-5. 2004..Motor and sensory signs usually reflect the anatomic location of the synovial cyst and the level of resultant maximal lumbar stenosis...
- [What is your diagnosis? Answer to March e-quid]K Ben Mahfoudh
Service d Imagerie Medicale, Hopital Habib Bourguiba, Sfax, Tunisia
J Radiol 89:524-6. 2008
- Lumbar synovial cyst as a cause of low back pain and acute radiculopathy: a case reportAndreas T Kouyialis
Department of Neurosurgery, Evangelismos General Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
South Med J 98:223-5. 2005..The cyst was removed, and histopathology revealed a synovial cyst.
- Treatment of patients with spinoglenoid cysts associated with superior labral tears without cyst aspiration, debridement, or excisionThomas Youm
Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic, Los Angeles, California 90045, USA
Arthroscopy 22:548-52. 2006..To describe a case series of 10 consecutive patients with spinoglenoid cysts and associated superior labral tears treated by labral repair performed by the same surgeon without formal cyst aspiration, debridement, or excision...
- Microsurgical treatment of juxta facet cysts of the lumbar spineRobert Deinsberger
Department of Neurosurgery, Landesklinikum St Pölten, Propst Führerstrasse 4, A 3100 St Pölten, Austria
J Spinal Disord Tech 19:155-60. 2006..Juxta facet cysts are a common cause of low back and radicular pain. They are mostly associated with degenerative facet joints and spondylolisthesis. The study focuses on long-term outcomes after microsurgical treatment without fusion...
- Juxta-facet hematomaChisako Fukuda
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tenri Hospital, 200 Mishima cho Tenri, Nara, 632 8552, Japan
J Orthop Sci 12:597-600. 2007
- Diagnosis and management of juxtafacet cystsHaroon Fiaz Choudhri
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
Neurosurg Focus 20:E1. 2006..Surgical therapy should be focused on decompression of the lesions causing nerve root compression and the accompanying symptoms, while recognizing that instability requiring fusion may be present in some but not all cases...
- Lumbar foraminal and far lateral juxtafacet cyst of intraspinal originMarkus F Oertel
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Surg Neurol 66:197-9; discussion 199. 2006..We report the unique case of a lumbar intra-, trans-, and extraforaminal JFC to illustrate the rare location and unusual presentation and discuss its anatomical variants, diagnostic difficulties, and therapeutic consequences...
- Migrating lumbar facet joint cystsFrancesco Palmieri
Department of Radiology, Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic and District Hospital, Oswestry, England, UK
Skeletal Radiol 35:220-6. 2006..When they migrate away from the joint of origin, they cause diagnostic problems...
- Synovial cysts associated with cauda equina syndrome in two dogsFranck Forterre
Small Animal Clinic, Freie Universitat, Berlin, Germany
Vet Surg 35:30-3. 2006..To report synovial cysts associated with cauda equina syndrome in 2 dogs...
- Bilateral complete discoid medial meniscus combined with posterior cyst formationFrancesco Franceschi
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico University, Via Longoni, 83, 00155, Rome, Italy
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 15:266-8. 2007..To the best of the author's knowledge, this is the first case of bilateral medial discoid meniscus associated with posterior portion cyst formation...
- Unusual appearance of lumbar facet synovial cyst and differential diagnosisMustafa Kemal Demir
Radiology 245:300; author reply 300. 2007
- A synovial cyst in the cervical spine causing acute spinal cord compressionChristophe McGuigan
Department of Neurology, St Mary s Hospital, Praed Street, London, W2 1NY, UK
Neurology 65:1293. 2005
- Lumbar synovial cystDiane W Braza
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 84:911-2. 2005
- Lumbar hemorrhagic synovial cysts: diagnosis, pathogenesis, and treatment. Report of 3 casesAlessandro Ramieri
Orthopaedic Service, Don Gnocchi Foundation, Rome, Italy
Surg Neurol 65:385-90, discussion 390. 2006..To define the etiologic, clinical, histological, and surgical features of lumbar hemorrhagic synovial cysts (LHSCs). Three personal cases are reported together with a review of the pertinent literature...
- MRI of degenerative cysts of the lumbar spineK Khalatbari
Department of MRI, Iran Gamma Knife Centre, Iran University of Medial Sciences Kamrani Charity Foundation, and Department of Orthopaedics, Rassoul Akram University Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Clin Radiol 63:322-8. 2008..These cysts have been categorized using various combinations of topographic and pathological characteristics and by their attachment to or communication with a specific spinal structure...
- "Juxtafacet cysts", a misleading name for cystic formations of mobile spine (CYFMOS)Petros Christophis
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Giessen, Klinikstrasse 29, 35385 Giessen, Hessen, Germany
Eur Spine J 16:1499-505. 2007..A surgical intervention is the best treatment for these cysts if they cause a compression of nerve roots or/and of the spinal cord...
- [Juxta-facet cysts as a differential diagnosis for lumbar neuralgia]K St Delank
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik zu Köln
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 142:410-4. 2004..The aim of the current investigation it was to evaluate the incidence, clinical symptoms and the results of surgical treatment of lumbar juxta-facet cysts...
- Bilateral medial meniscal cysts in a 15-year-old girlCraig N Lippe
Hamot Medical Center, Erie, Pennsylvania 16550, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:195-7. 2005
- The significance of increased fluid signal on magnetic resonance imaging in lumbar facets in relationship to degenerative spondylolisthesisChristopher Chaput
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Scott and White Clinic and Memorial Hospital, Temple, TX 76508, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1883-7. 2007..Retrospective radiographic review of consecutive patients with universally applied standard...
- Synovial cysts of the lumbar facet joints in a symptomatic population: prevalence on magnetic resonance imagingAnthony J Doyle
Radiology Department, Middlemore Hospital, Otahuhu, Auckland, New Zealand
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:874-8. 2004..A retrospective review of 303 MRI scans of the lumbar spine was conducted...
- Patient outcome after resection of lumbar juxtafacet cystsC S Banning
Section of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:969-72. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Juxtafacet cysts are an uncommon cause of radiculopathy. Surgical resection is the treatment of choice with low rates of complications, recurrences, and residual complaints...
- Arthroscopic ganglion cyst excision in the anterolateral aspect of the kneeFrancesco Franceschi
Università Campus Bio Medico, Policlinico Universitario, Cattedra di Ortopedia e Traumatologia, Roma, Italy
Arthroscopy 19:E32. 2003..From that portal, we were able resect the cyst, opening the wall and shaving and aspirating the myxoid fluid...
- Unusual facet cyst containing struvite and hydroxyapatiteM Grantham
Department of Musculoskeletal Radiology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Skeletal Radiol 30:57-9. 2001..We postulate that there was a prior infection of the facet with urease-producing bacteria, thus accounting for the production of the struvite within the facet cyst...
- An unusual case of meniscal hematoma mimicking a medial meniscal cystKo Hsiu Lu
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Arthroscopy 18:E22. 2002..A literature search found no previous report of it before. Treatment with arthroscopic intra-articular decompression alone is enough. We discuss the possibility of its pathogenesis and treatment...
- [Results after resection of juxta-facet-cysts - Which role does a segmental instability play?]J Franke
Orthopadische Universitatsklinik, Otto von Guericke Universitat Magdeburg, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 127:497-502. 2002..Between 01. 01. 1998 and 31. 03. 2001 9 patients were operated on a synovial cyst or a ganglion of the facet joint at our department...
- [Arthroscopic treatment of a Hoffa ligament cyst]M Koubaa
Service de Chirurgie Generale, centre hospitalo universitaire de Monastir, 5000 Monastir, Tunisie
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 88:721-4. 2002..We recall the different epidemiologic, pathogenic, clinical and radiological aspects of this condition and emphasize the importance of MRI for the differential diagnosis with other tumors...
- Bilateral symptomatic synovial cysts of the lumbar spine caused by calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease: a case reportAnirudh A Gadgil
Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedics Hospital, Oswestry, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E428-31. 2002..A case of bilateral symptomatic facet joint synovial cysts arising in association with calcium pyrophosphate deposition disease is reported...
- Far lateral extraforaminal lumbar synovial cyst: report of two casesLoi K Phuong
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Neurosurgery 51:505-7; discussion 507-8. 2002We present two cases of a far lateral extraforaminal synovial cyst at the L5-S1 level of the spine. Neither case was diagnosed as a synovial cyst before surgery because of their atypical location...
- Intra-articular ganglion cysts of the cruciate ligaments: case report and review of the literatureThore Zantop
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Christian Albrechts University Kiel, Michaelisstr 1, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 123:195-8. 2003..Intra-articular ganglion cysts of the knee joint are rare. We report on three ganglion cysts of the cruciate ligaments: Two were intercruciate, and one was located around the posterior cruciate ligament...
- [Lumbar intraspinal juxtafacet cysts: MR imaging and CT-arthrography]G Schmid
Klinik fur Radiologie und Nuklearmedizin, St Josef Hospital, Ruhr Universitat Bochum
Rofo 174:1247-52. 2002..To present data on the MR imaging appearance of lumbar intraspinal juxtafacet cysts (JFC) and to assess the importance of additional CT arthrography...
- Neurological picture. An unusual cause of cord compression: synovial cyst of the thoracic spineA Pratesi
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Radiodiagnostic Section, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:947. 2008
- Minimally invasive surgical treatment of lumbar synovial cystsFaheem A Sandhu
Section of Neurosurgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Neurosurgery 54:107-11; discussion 111-2. 2004..Surgical treatment is directed at complete excision of the cyst. We used minimally invasive surgical techniques for a series of patients, to assess the effectiveness of this approach for resection of synovial cysts...
- Lumbar intraspinal synovial cysts: conservative management and review of the world's literatureRinoo V Shah
Physiatry Service, The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
Spine J 3:479-88. 2003..Lumbar intraspinal synovial cysts are an important cause of axial and radicular spine pain. Controversy about nonsurgical versus surgical treatment persists...
- Ganglion of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. A report of three casesShinji Nishikawa
Department or Orthopaedic Surgery, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki City, Aomori, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:1560-3. 2003
- Lumbar facet synovial cystN V Deshmukh
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma, Withybush General Hospital, Haverfordwest
Postgrad Med J 79:419, 423-4. 2003
- Spinal synovial cysts: clinical and therapeutic considerationsJ Schroder
Department of Neurosurgery, University Clinics Münster, Munster, Germany
Zentralbl Neurochir 69:125-8. 2008..Synovial cysts are an important differential diagnosis in lumbar radiculopathy...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of a thoracic intraspinal synovial cystR C Fritz
San Francisco Neuro Skeletal Imaging, Daly City, California
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:487-90. 1994..Recognition of the characteristic imaging findings of an intraspinal synovial cyst resulted in the correct preoperative diagnosis despite the unusual location of this lesion at T9-10.
- The diagnostic effect from axial loading of the lumbar spine during computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging in patients with degenerative disordersJ Willen
Department of Orthopaedics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Goteborg, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2607-14. 2001..Patients with low back pain, sciatica, and neurogenic claudication were observed during computed tomographic myelography or magnetic resonance imaging in psoas-relaxed position and axially compressed supine position of the lumbar spine...
- [Imaging in rheumatology]M Backhaus
Medizinische Klinik mit Schwerpunkt Rheumatologie und Klinische Immunologie, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 127:1897-903. 2002..Hot spots" are seen in locations of high bone turn over. Scintigraphy is also helpful to localize or exclude inflammation...
- Predicting outcome in the surgical treatment of lumbar radiculopathy using the Pain Drawing Score, McGill Short Form Pain Questionnaire, and risk factors including psychosocial issues and axial joint painRand M Voorhies
Southern Brain and Spine, LLC, East Jefferson General Hospital, 3601 Houma Blvd, Metairie, LA 70006, USA
Spine J 7:516-24. 2007..Nevertheless this straightforward surgical procedure is not universally successful, and the results are often independent of technical factors...
- Intraspinal cyst communicating with the intervertebral disc in the lumbar spine: discal cystK Chiba
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2112-8. 2001..A retrospective case study of patients with intraspinal cyst having a distinct connection with the corresponding intervertebral disc...
- Tumor-like meniscal cystNikolaos Roidis
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Arthroscopy 23:111.e1-6. 2007..The pathologic findings revealed a synovial cyst. Intra-articular synovial cysts are uncommon, nonsymptomatic, and mostly incidental findings on magnetic ..
- Bipartite atlas with os odontoideum and synovial cyst: case report and review literatureChong Weng
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:E568-75. 2010..Case report and review of the literature...
- Symptomatic hematoma of lumbar facet joint: joint apoplexy of the spine?Kotaro Nishida
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe Rosai Hospital, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:E206-8. 2003..A case report...
- Unrecognized pneumothorax as a cause of intraspinal airC Khodadadyan
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, Free University of Berlin, Rudolf Virchow Medical Center, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:838-40. 1995..In most cases, intraspinal air is associated with degenerative disc disease, epidural abscess, or synovial cyst, or it follows iatrogenic manipulation...
- Unexpected ulnar nerve schwannoma. The reasonable risk of misdiagnosisS Di Lorenzo
Dipartimento di Discipline Chirurgiche ed Oncologiche, sez Chirurgia Plastica e Ricostruttiva, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Acta Chir Plast 49:77-9. 2007..An appropriate degree of awareness is necessary for the inclusion of peripheral nerve tumors as a differential diagnosis of an upper extremity mass...
- MR imaging of lipoma arborescens and the associated lesionsJoan C Vilanova
Magnetic Resonance Unit, Ressonància Girona, Clinica Girona, Lorenzana, 36, 17002 Girona, Spain
Skeletal Radiol 32:504-9. 2003..To describe the typical features of lipoma arborescens on MR imaging with pathologic correlation and to evaluate the associated lesions within the joints...
- Rare ligamentum flavum cyst causing incapacitating lumbar spinal stenosis: Experience with 3 Chinese patientsAlexander Pak Hin Chan
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Orthop Surg Res 5:81. 2010..This disease is distinct from synovial cyst of the facet joints or ganglion cysts, both intraoperatively and histopathologically...
- Ganglion cyst of the posterior longitudinal ligament causing lumbar radiculopathySung Min Cho
Department of Neurosurgery, Gangneung Asan Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Gangneung, Korea
J Korean Neurosurg Soc 47:298-301. 2010..These patients underwent posterior decompression and cysts were excised, and their sciatic symptoms were completely resolved. Histological examination showed typical features of ganglion cysts in these cases...
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald C Hood; Fiscal Year: 2010..These same techniques can enable the ophthalmologist to monitor the health of these cells and, thus the effectiveness of alternative treatments. ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, patients with acute optic neuritis will be followed with behavioral and mVEP techniques. An attempt will be made to understand the recovery o vision following optic neuritis (ON). ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, patients with acute optic neuritis will be followed with behavioral and mVEP techniques. An attempt will be made to understand the recovery o vision following optic neuritis (ON). ..
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2002..monkeys in which INL activity is pharmacologically dissected, b. normal human subjects, c. patients with disease of the INL, and d. mathematical work. ..
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2001..monkeys in which INL activity is pharmacologically dissected, b. normal human subjects, c. patients with disease of the INL, and d. mathematical work. ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, patients with acute optic neuritis will be followed with behavioral and mVEP techniques. An attempt will be made to understand the recovery o vision following optic neuritis (ON). ..
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2000..monkeys in which INL activity is pharmacologically dissected, b. normal human subjects, c. patients with disease of the INL, and d. mathematical work. ..
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2000..This could be especially valuable in assessing retinal function of patients with heterogeneous damage as in retinitis pigmentosa, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma. ..
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2004..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2004
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2005..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. ..
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2009..These same techniques can enable the ophthalmologist to monitor the health of these cells and, thus the effectiveness of alternative treatments. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2009..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2008..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2008..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2007..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Measures of Human Receptor and Post Receptor ActivityDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2006..We propose as part of aim 3 to improve our understanding of these relationships as well as to improve our analysis of visual field data. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2005
- MEASURE OF HUMAN RECEPTOR AND POST-RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, we propose to develop a model of the human ERG that encompasses the activity of the inner nuclear layer as well as the receptors...
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1999
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1999..This could be especially valuable in assessing retinal function of patients with heterogeneous damage as in retinitis pigmentosa, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma. ..
- MEASURE OF HUMAN RECEPTOR AND POST-RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1992..Thus, we propose to develop a model of the human ERG that encompasses the activity of the inner nuclear layer as well as the receptors...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1993..The data will be analyzed within the context of recent models of cone systems, models based on recent physiology...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1991..Finally, we intend to obtain a better understanding of the relative involvement of the rod and different cone mechanisms in retinitis pigmentosa and in progressive cone dystrophy...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1990..Finally, we intend to obtain a better understanding of the relative involvement of the rod and different cone mechanisms in retinitis pigmentosa and in progressive cone dystrophy...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1992..The data will be analyzed within the context of recent models of cone systems, models based on recent physiology...