Genomes and Genes
Summary: A true cyst of the PANCREAS, distinguished from the much more common PANCREATIC PSEUDOCYST by possessing a lining of mucous EPITHELIUM. Pancreatic cysts are categorized as congenital, retention, neoplastic, parasitic, enterogenous, or dermoid. Congenital cysts occur more frequently as solitary cysts but may be multiple. Retention cysts are gross enlargements of PANCREATIC DUCTS secondary to ductal obstruction. (From Bockus Gastroenterology, 4th ed, p4145)
Publications228 found, 100 shown here
- Endoscopic ultrasound and fine needle aspiration in inflammatory and cystic pancreatic pathologyE Vazquez-Sequeiros
Division of Gastroenterology, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, University of Alcala, Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
Minerva Med 98:357-60. 2007..This review article attempts to provide an overview of the potential role of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and EUS guided fine needle aspiration in the evaluation of cystic lesions of the pancreas...
- Management of cystic lesions of the pancreasJames M Scheiman
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3912 Taubman Center 0362, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:405-7. 2008..In some circumstances, EUS+FNA confirmation of a negative cytology and low fluid CEA can further provide evidence to support a monitoring approach and deferral of surgical intervention...
- Elevated microRNA miR-21 levels in pancreatic cyst fluid are predictive of mucinous precursor lesions of ductal adenocarcinomaJi Kon Ryu
Department of Pathology, The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Pancreatology 11:343-50. 2011..Deregulated microRNA (miRNAs) expression is widespread in pancreatic cancer. We assessed whether aberrant miRNAs in pancreatic cyst fluid could be used as potential biomarkers for cystic precursor lesions of pancreatic cancer.
- Cystic precursors to invasive pancreatic cancerHanno Matthaei
The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1550 Orleans Street, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:141-50. 2011..Such biomarkers are urgently needed, as noninvasive precursors of pancreatic cancer are curable, while the vast majority of invasive pancreatic adenocarcinomas are not...
- Characterization of cystic pancreatic masses: relative accuracy of CT and MRIBrendan C Visser
Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:648-56. 2007..The objective of our study was to determine the role and relative accuracy of CT and MRI in the characterization of cystic pancreatic masses...
- ACG practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of neoplastic pancreatic cystsAsif Khalid
VA Pittsburgh Health Care System and Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 102:2339-49. 2007..Up to a quarter of all pancreata examined in an autopsy series contained a pancreatic cyst, 16% of which were lined by an "atypical" epithelium and 3% of which had progressed to carcinoma-in-..
- Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: endoscopic ultrasound and fine-needle aspiration characteristicsW J Yoon
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Endoscopy 45:189-94. 2013..The aims of this study were to describe the EUS and FNA characteristics of pathologically confirmed CPanNets and to compare these characteristics with mucinous cysts from matched patients...
- Pancreatic cyst fluid DNA analysis in evaluating pancreatic cysts: a report of the PANDA studyAsif Khalid
Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Pittsburgh, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 69:1095-102. 2009The role of pancreatic cyst fluid DNA analysis in evaluating pancreatic cysts remains unclear.
- Imaging diagnosis of cystic pancreatic lesions: pseudocyst versus nonpseudocystYoung H Kim
Department of Radiology, UMass Memorial, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 55 Lake Ave North, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Radiographics 25:671-85. 2005..Familiarity with the range of imaging appearances and awareness of the diagnostic strengths and limitations of each imaging modality are important for accurate diagnosis and management of cystic pancreatic lesions...
- Prevalence of incidental pancreatic cysts in the adult population on MR imagingKaren S Lee
Department of Radiology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 105:2079-84. 2010..The aim of our study was to determine the prevalence of incidentally detected pancreatic cysts in the adult population undergoing abdominal magnetic resonance (MR) imaging...
- Laparoscopic enucleation of solitary true pancreatic cyst in an adultUgo Cioffi
Departments of Surgery, Ospedale Maggiore di Milano, IRCCS, Milan, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 7:921-4. 2003Solitary or true pancreatic cyst is a very rare pathologic condition; only a few cases are reported in literature...
- Groove pancreatitis associated with true pancreatic cystYuichi Sanada
Department of Surgical Oncology, Research Institution for Radiation Biology and Medicine, Hiroshima University, 1 2 3 Kasumi, Minami Ku, Hiroshima, 734 8551, Japan
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 14:401-9. 2007We report a case of groove pancreatitis (GP) associated with a true pancreatic cyst. An 81-year-old man who had suffered epigastric pain for 4 months was referred to Saisekai Kure Hospital...
- Should all pancreatic cystic lesions be resected? Cyst-fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions: a meta-analysisWilliam R Brugge
Gastrointest Endosc 62:390-1. 2005
- Role of proteomics to differentiate between benign and potentially malignant pancreatic cystsAurora Cuoghi
Biomedical Proteomics Research Group, Department of Bioinformatics and Structural Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Geneva University, Geneva, Switzerland
J Proteome Res 10:2664-70. 2011..This study was designed to characterize the proteomic pattern of pancreatic cyst fluids obtained from various cystic lesions...
- True solitary pancreatic cyst in an adult: report of a casePietro Fiamingo
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, First Surgical Clinic, University of Padua, Italy
Surg Today 35:979-83. 2005..We propose a scheme for the differential diagnosis of cystic neoformations of the pancreas, starting from the histopathological definition of a true solitary cyst...
- Preoperative classification of pancreatic cystic neoplasms: the clinical significance of diagnostic inaccuracyClifford S Cho
Section of Surgical Oncology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, J4 703 Clinical Sciences Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:3112-9. 2013..The objective of this study was to characterize misdiagnoses of PCN and determine how often operations are undertaken for benign, non-premalignant disease...
- Current management of cystic neoplasms of the pancreasD R Carpizo
Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Surgeon 6:298-307. 2008..We provide an overview of the key features in diagnosis and in predicting malignancy. Particular attention is given to the natural history and management of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMN)...
- A new case of solitary true pancreatic cystAziz Zentar
Department of Digestive Surgery, Mohammed V Military Hospital, Mohammed V University of Rabat, Rabat, Morocco
Arab J Gastroenterol 12:168-70. 2011..Analysis of the cyst fluid showed a high level of CA 19-9 (10,000Uml(-1)). After 1-year follow-up, the patient was found to be doing well without any abdominal symptoms. Ultrasound images revealed no cyst recurrence...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of pancreatic cystic lesions provides inadequate material for cytology and laboratory analysis: initial results from a prospective studyK de Jong
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Endoscopy 43:585-90. 2011..In the framework of a prospective study on the accuracy of EUS-FNA we report our initial technical results regarding puncture access, sample adequacy, and complications..
- Classification of pancreatic cystic lesions using SELDI-TOF mass spectrometryChristopher J Scarlett
Department of Surgery, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 77:648-53. 2007..This preliminary study aimed to analyse pancreatic cyst fluid, using a proteomic approach, to generate reproducible protein profiles to assist in the classification ..
- Cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: a clinicopathologic studyAatur D Singhi
Department of Pathology, Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 36:1666-73. 2012..In summary, cystic PanNETs are a distinctive subgroup of PanNETs with unique clinical, radiographic, and pathologic features...
- Pancreatic cystic neoplasms: management and unanswered questionsJames J Farrell
Yale Pancreas Center and Interventional Endoscopy, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Gastroenterology 144:1303-15. 2013..We also review surgical treatment and strategies for surveillance of pancreatic cysts...
- Cyst fluid analysis to diagnose pancreatic cystic lesions: an as yet unfulfilled promiseMario Pelaez-Luna
Gastroenterology 130:1007-9; discussion 1009. 2006
- Pancreatic cystic lesions: when to watch, when to operate, and when to ignoreBrian G Turner
Massachusetts General Hospital, Gastroenterology Unit, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 12:98-105. 2010..Identification of a pancreatic cyst requires the clinician to focus on the main clinical challenge of the benign or malignant nature of the cyst...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided pancreatic cyst ablationJohn DeWitt
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University Medical Center, 550 North University Boulevard, UH 4100, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 22:291-302, ix-x. 2012..Endoscopic ultrasound-guided pancreatic cyst ablation with ethanol and/or paclitaxel offers a nonoperative treatment for patients refusing or not eligible ..
- The incidental pancreatic cystAlec J Megibow
Department of Radiology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 49:349-59. 2011The discovery of a pancreatic cyst in an asymptomatic patient presents an immediate challenge to the interpreting radiologist, the clinician who manages the patient, and patients themselves...
- Simple pancreatic cysts: CT and endosonographic appearancesDiane Bergin
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3808, Durham, NC 27710, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 178:837-40. 2002..Simple pancreatic cysts are typically an incidental finding in adults who have no history of pancreatic disease. The imaging characteristics of simple pancreatic cysts on CT and endosonography are similar to those of benign cysts...
- Cystic pancreatic tumors (CPT): predictors of malignant behaviorMilind Javle
Department of Medicine, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, and State University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
J Surg Oncol 95:221-8. 2007..The diagnosis of malignancy in CPT cases requires pancreatectomy. Clinical and laboratory characteristics of CPT may predict underlying malignancy...
- Proteomic analyses of pancreatic cyst fluidsEileen Ke
From the Divisions of Basic Science, daggerMedical Science, and double daggerPopulation Science, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
Pancreas 38:e33-42. 2009..Proteomic analyses were performed to explore pancreatic cyst fluids to yield effective diagnostic biomarkers.
- Pancreatic cysts: depiction on single-shot fast spin-echo MR imagesXiao Ming Zhang
Department of Radiology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Radiology 223:547-53. 2002..To evaluate single-shot fast spin-echo (SE) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging for depiction of pancreatic cysts in a large number of patients and to analyze cyst prevalence with respect to patient age and sex and other clinical information...
- Primary cilia deletion in pancreatic epithelial cells results in cyst formation and pancreatitisDavid A Cano
Diabetes Center, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Gastroenterology 131:1856-69. 2006..Here, we investigate the role of cilia in pancreas formation and function by analyzing mice that lack cilia in pancreatic cells...
- Cystic pancreatic neoplasms: observe or operateKristine S Spinelli
Department of Radiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 9200 W Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Ann Surg 239:651-7; discussion 657-9. 2004..The objectives of this analysis were to define the incidence, natural history, and predictors of neoplasia in pancreatic cysts to determine which patients can safely be observed and which should undergo an operation...
- Pancreatic cysts 3 cm or smaller: how aggressive should treatment be?Dushyant V Sahani
Department of Radiology, Division of Abdominal Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Radiology 238:912-9. 2006....
- Incidental cystic neoplasms of pancreas: what is the optimal interval of imaging surveillance?Ananya Das
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic Arizona, Scottsdale, Arizona 85259, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1657-62. 2008..The optimal interval of imaging studies for surveillance of incidental pancreatic cystic neoplasms is not known...
- Incidental pancreatic cysts: clinicopathologic characteristics and comparison with symptomatic patientsCarlos Fernandez-del Castillo
Department of Surgery and Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital ACC 336, 15 Parkman Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Arch Surg 138:427-3; discussion 433-4. 2003..Widespread use of computed tomography and ultrasound has led to the identification of increasing numbers of patients with asymptomatic cystic lesions of the pancreas...
- The natural history of the incidentally discovered small simple pancreatic cyst: long-term follow-up and clinical implicationsStephen J Handrich
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinic, Madison, WI 53792, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:20-3. 2005..The purpose of our study was to determine the natural history of small (</= 2 cm) simple pancreatic cystic lesions...
- Prevalence of unsuspected pancreatic cysts on MDCTThomas A Laffan
School of Medicine and Medical Science, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:802-7. 2008..The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of findings of unsuspected pancreatic cysts on 16-MDCT in a population of adult outpatients imaged for disease unrelated to the pancreas...
- ASGE guideline: The role of endoscopy in the diagnosis and the management of cystic lesions and inflammatory fluid collections of the pancreasBrian C Jacobson
Gastrointest Endosc 61:363-70. 2005
- Management of suspected pancreatic cystic neoplasms based on cyst sizeR Matthew Walsh
Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Surgery 144:677-84; discussion 684-5. 2008..Evaluation and management of cystic pancreatic neoplasms remain problematic. International consensus guidelines have advised resection for lesions greater than 3 cm...
- The incidental asymptomatic pancreatic lesion: nuisance or threat?Teviah Sachs
Department of Surgery, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 13:405-15. 2009..Treatment decisions pivot off concerns for malignancy but at times might be excessive. To understand better the role of surgery, we scrutinized a spectrum of APLs as they presented to our surgical practice over defined periods...
- Comparison of carcinoembryonic antigen and molecular analysis in pancreatic cyst fluidMandeep S Sawhney
Division of Gastroenterology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 69:1106-10. 2009..Pancreatic-cyst fluid carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) levels and molecular analysis are useful diagnostic tests in differentiating mucinous from nonmucinous cysts...
- Cystic lesions and intraductal neoplasms of the pancreasKenneth E Fasanella
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 23:35-48. 2009..Despite generalized guidelines, decisions regarding management of pancreatic cysts should be individualized, accounting for the malignant risk of the lesion and the surgical risk of the patient...
- Diagnosis of pancreatic cystic neoplasms: a report of the cooperative pancreatic cyst studyWilliam R Brugge
Gastrointestinal Unit, Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Blake 4, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Gastroenterology 126:1330-6. 2004..The purpose of this investigation was to determine the most accurate test for differentiating mucinous from nonmucinous cystic lesions...
- High prevalence of pancreatic cysts detected by screening magnetic resonance imaging examinationsKoen de Jong
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:806-11. 2010..We investigated the prevalence of pancreatic cysts in individuals who were screened by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as part of a preventive medical examination...
- International consensus guidelines for surgical resection of mucinous neoplasms cannot be applied to all cystic lesions of the pancreasMandeep S Sawhney
Division of Gastroenterology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:1373-6. 2009..We sought to determine whether the consensus guidelines can be applied to all cystic lesions of the pancreas...
- Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas: a report of 12 cases and a review of the literatureN Volkan Adsay
Department of Pathology, Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Mod Pathol 15:492-501. 2002..LECs are not associated with the clinical syndromes that are seen with their analogues in the salivary glands...
- Frequent detection of pancreatic lesions in asymptomatic high-risk individualsMarcia Irene Canto
Department of Medicine Division of Gastroenterology, The Sol Goldman Pancreatic Cancer Research Center, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Gastroenterology 142:796-804; quiz e14-5. 2012..We determined the baseline prevalence and characteristics of pancreatic abnormalities using 3 imaging tests to screen asymptomatic, high-risk individuals (HRIs)...
- Unusual cystic neoplasms in the pancreas: radiologic-pathologic correlationMi Suk Park
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 29:610-6. 2005..We also correlate the radiologic findings with the findings on pathologic analysis...
- Molecular analysis of pancreatic cyst fluid: a comparative analysis with current practice of diagnosisJian Shen
James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Cancer 117:217-27. 2009....
- Extra-gastrointestinal stromal tumor presenting as hemorrhagic pancreatic cyst diagnosed by EUS-FNATasma Harindhanavudhi
Department of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
JOP 10:189-91. 2009..Pancreatic gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) are rare mesenchymal tumor with only 6 cases reported to date. We report a case of pancreatic GIST presenting as hemorrhagic cyst...
- PGE(2) in pancreatic cyst fluid helps differentiate IPMN from MCN and predict IPMN dysplasiaC Max Schmidt
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:243-9. 2008..PGE(2) level may also be an indicator of malignant progression of IPMN before ductal obstruction by tumor. Prospective evaluation will be necessary to evaluate the clinical role of PGE(2) level in pancreatic fluid...
- Congenital true pancreatic cyst detected prenatally in neonate: a case reportJae Hee Chung
Department of Pediatric Surgery, The St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul 150 713, South Korea
J Pediatr Surg 42:E27-9. 2007True congenital epithelium-lined cysts of the pancreas are rare, and the prenatal diagnosis of a true pancreatic cyst has been reported only rarely...
- Pancreatic cyst aspiration analysis for cystic neoplasms: mucin or carcinoembryonic antigen--which is better?Gareth Morris-Stiff
Department of Hepato pancreato biliary Surgery, Digestive Disease Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Surgery 148:638-44; discussion 644-5. 2010..We sought to report the results of this ongoing protocol and determine the relative importance of cyst fluid mucin and CEA for the diagnostic process...
- Diagnostic performance of cyst fluid carcinoembryonic antigen and amylase in histologically confirmed pancreatic cystsWalter Gwang Up Park
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Pancreas 40:42-5. 2011....
- Cystic pancreatic lesions: a simple imaging-based classification system for guiding managementDushyant V Sahani
Division of Abdominal Imaging, Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiographics 25:1471-84. 2005..The initial evaluation of a pancreatic cyst should be directed toward exclusion of a pseudocyst...
- Corticosteroid-responsive pancreatic cyst found in autoimmune pancreatitisTakashi Muraki
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, 3 1 1 Asahi, Matsumoto, 390 8621, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:761-6. 2005There have been only a few reports of autoimmune pancreatitis complicated with pancreatic cyst and such cysts are rare, probably due to the absence of severe tissue necrosis and/or lack of stasis of the pancreatic juice in this condition...
- Metastatic adult granulosa cell tumor mimicking a benign pancreatic cystRania A Abadeer
Department of Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA
Ann Diagn Pathol 14:457-60. 2010We report an unusual case of metastatic adult granulosa cell tumor in the head of pancreas mimicking a benign pancreatic cyst in a 43-year-old female...
- Performance of endosonography-guided fine needle aspiration and biopsy in the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesionsJean Louis Frossard
Division of Gastroenterology, Geneva University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1516-24. 2003..The aim of our study was to assess the performance of endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) and EUS-guided fine needle aspiration (FNA) in the diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions...
- Congenital true pancreatic cyst: a rare caseAhmet Kazez
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Firat University School of Medicine, Elazig, Turkey
Diagn Interv Radiol 12:31-3. 2006..We report magnetic resonance imaging features of a case of congenital true pancreatic cyst with a high level of enzymatic activity which, to the best of our knowledge, have not previously been ..
- Inflammatory protein profiling of pancreatic cyst fluid using EUS-FNA in tandem with cytokine microarray differentiates between branch duct IPMN and inflammatory cystsLinda S Lee
Center for Pancreatic Disease, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology and Endoscopy, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, United States
J Immunol Methods 382:142-9. 2012..We hypothesize that inflammatory mediator proteins in pancreatic cyst fluid can differentiate branch duct intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (BD-IPMNs) and pancreatic ..
- Cystic lesions of the pancreas: an appraisal of an aggressive resectional policy adopted at a single institution during 15 yearsBrian K P Goh
Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Am J Surg 192:148-54. 2006..The aim of this study was to review the aggressive resectional policy toward pancreatic cysts adopted at our institution during the past 15 years...
- Cyst fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic cystic lesions: a pooled analysisLaurens A van der Waaij
Department of Gastroenterology, Martini Ziekenhuis, Groningen, The Netherlands
Gastrointest Endosc 62:383-9. 2005..Radiologic criteria are not reliable. The objective of the study is to investigate the value of cyst fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of benign (SCA, PC) vs. premalignant or malignant (MCA, MCAC) lesions...
- Cystic lesions of the pancreas: clinical and pathologic review of cases in a five year periodCarlos E Parra-Herran
Department of Pathology, University of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, FL, USA
JOP 11:358-64. 2010..The characterization of these lesions has evolved in recent years, and will continue to change according to the increasing number of biopsies and resections performed...
- Incidental pancreatic cysts: do we really know what we are watching?Camilo Correa-Gallego
Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Pancreatology 10:144-50. 2010..Most cystic neoplasms of the pancreas (CNPs) are incidentally discovered. Their management continues to be debated and preoperative diagnosis is often inaccurate...
- Proteases present in some pancreatic cyst fluids may affect mucin immunoassay by degrading antibodies and antigensMarie Elisabeth Forgue-Lafitte
INSERM UMR S 938 and UPMC Paris 6, Team Biology and Therapeutics of Cancer, Centre de Recherche Paris St Antoine, Paris, France
Pancreas 39:1070-6. 2010Biomarker detection in pancreatic cyst fluids is of importance to improve the diagnosis of mucinous cystadenoma, a precancerous lesion. However, assay protocols are generally established for serum testing.
- Duodenal duplication cyst mimicking pancreatic cyst in a patient with pancreatitisRalf Niehues
Department of Medicine B, University of Muenster, D 48129 Muenster, Germany
Gastrointest Endosc 62:190-2. 2005
- Lymphoepithelial cyst in the pancreas: a case report and review of the literatureP V Anagnostopoulos
Department of Surgery, Henry Ford Health Sciences Center, Detroit, MI 48202, USA
Dig Surg 17:309-14. 2000..Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas constitute a rare clinicopathologic entity...
- [Rapidly progressing cyst of the pancreas as a manifestation of an undifferentiated pancreatic carcinoma with osteoclastic giant cells]M Breidert
Medizinische Klinik I, Stadtklinik Baden Baden, Klinikum Mittelbaden, Baden Baden, Germany
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:1619-22. 2007..A 62-year-old woman presented with acute abdominal pain...
- Pancreatic cystic neuroendocrine tumors: preoperative diagnosis with endoscopic ultrasound and fine-needle immunocytologyMarshall S Baker
Department of Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, IU Medical Center Cancer Pavilion RT 130D, 535 Barnhill Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 12:450-6. 2008..This report represents the largest series of CNETs treated to date, documents the role of EUS in preoperative diagnosis, and describes current management...
- [Imaging of incidental cystic lesions of the pancreas]M Lewin
Service de Radiologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, and Université Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, Paris
J Radiol 89:197-207. 2008..Management is based on comparing estimated patient survival without treatment to surgical risks (morbidity, mortality, functional sequelae from the procedure)...
- Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy: results of a prospective non-randomized study from a tertiary centerC Palanivelu
Department of GI and Minimal Access Surgery, GEM Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India
Surg Endosc 21:373-7. 2007..Published literature on this topic consists of several case reports and a handful of small series. We present our experience, which, to the best of our knowledge, is the largest series reported to date...
- The role of endoscopic ultrasound and endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration in distinguishing pancreatic cystic lesionsBhavani Moparty
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Diagn Cytopathol 35:18-25. 2007....
- Fine needle aspiration of pancreatic cysts: Use of ancillary studies and difficulty in identifying surgical candidatesKeith E Volmar
Department of Pathology, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Acta Cytol 50:647-55. 2006To evaluate ancillary biochemical testing after pancreatic cyst fine needle aspiration (FNA) in the clinical setting.
- [Endoscopic management of postoperative pancreatic collections]C Subtil
Département de gastroentérologie et hépatologie, Hopital Nord, Chemin des Bourrely, 13915 Marseille Cedex 20, France
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 32:128-33. 2008..Treatment of pancreatic postoperative collections are usually managed with a multidisciplinary team. Different managements are possible: abstention, external drainage, endoscopic treatment or surgery...
- Minimally invasive management of pancreatic disease: SAGES and SSAT pancreas symposium, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, April 2005K Horvath
Department of Surgery, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Surg Endosc 21:367-72. 2007
- Fine-needle aspiration cytology of pancreatic lymphoepithelial cystsMaria Luisa Policarpio-Nicolas
Department of Pathology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Cancer 108:501-6. 2006..The cytologic features of LECs have been described only in a handful of case reports and may overlap with both benign and malignant pancreatic tumors...
- Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas: an EUS case seriesJohn Nasr
Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 16046, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:170-3. 2008..With widespread use of abdominal cross-sectional imaging, more pancreatic lesions are being discovered, with EUS being used to further evaluate the abnormality...
- The use of fine needle aspiration cytology for the distinction of pancreatic mucinous neoplasiaEdward B Stelow
Department of Pathology, Box 800214, University of Virginia Health Sciences, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 129:67-74. 2008..Lesional material was more commonly identified in higher grade and invasive lesions. Lesional extracellular material was seen in 3 of 14 samples of other pancreatic cysts, and lesional cellular material was seen in 6 of 14 cases...
- Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasiaKevin M McGrath
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, M2, C Wing, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:377-90, ix-x. 2007..In the absence of findings that correlate with malignancy, natural history is unknown. Management of these patients is controversial, and should be individualized based on surgical risk...
- [Role of EUS in a diagnostic and staging algorithm of pancreatic carcinoma: the surgeon point of view]G R Fronda
S C D O Chirurgia Generale 7, ASO San Giovanni Battista di Torino Molinette, Torino, Italy
Minerva Med 98:351-6. 2007..Preoperative resectability is defined by EUS in borderline tumors. EUS is a useful procedure for the surgical strategy of pancreatic cancer...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration and cyst fluid analysis for pancreatic cystsSiriboon Attasaranya
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
JOP 8:553-63. 2007..Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) with EUS-guided fine needle aspiration (EUS-FNA) has been increasingly utilized to differentiate malignant/pre-malignant pancreatic cysts from those that are benign or have low malignant potential...
- Management of cystic pancreatic lesions found incidentallyM Barthet
SFED, Paris, France
Endoscopy 39:926-8. 2007
- A clinical algorithm for the assessment of pancreatic lesions: utilization of 16- and 64-section multidetector CT and endoscopic ultrasoundA Rafique
Department of Radiology, Addenbrookes NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
Clin Radiol 62:1142-53. 2007..A clinical algorithm for the assessment of pancreatic malignancy, as practised in our institution, is outlined...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration cytology of the pancreas: a morphological and multimodal approach to the diagnosis of solid and cystic mass lesionsM B Pitman
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Cytopathology 18:331-47. 2007..This review focuses on the multimodal approach at the Massachusetts General Hospital that utilizes clinical, cytological, radiological and ancillary studies in rendering a final cytological diagnosis...
- [Pancreatic mucinous cystadenocarcinoma]Rene Berindoague
Servicio de Cirugia General y del Aparato Digestivo, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Espana
Cir Esp 81:354. 2007
- Serous cystadenoma of the pancreas: limitations and pitfalls of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsyNicole A Belsley
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Cancer 114:102-10. 2008..In the current study, the authors evaluated the diagnostic sensitivity of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) and cross-sectional imaging for SCA...
- Pancreatic cystic lesions: discrimination accuracy based on clinical data and high resolution CT featuresVinika V Chaudhari
Departments of Radiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, UCLA Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Comput Assist Tomogr 31:860-7. 2007..To determine the accuracy of high-resolution computed tomography in discriminating among pancreatic cystic lesions with and without clinical history...
- [Clinical analysis of 9 cases of solid-cystic pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas with literature review]Zheng Wang
Department of Hepatobiliary Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, Shaanxi, 710061, P R China
Ai Zheng 25:1287-90. 2006..Its diagnosis and treatment remain controversial. This study was to discuss the diagnosis criteria and treatment strategy of SCPT...
- Pancreatic cancer in patients with pancreatic cystic lesions: a prospective study in 197 patientsMinoru Tada
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1265-70. 2006..Those cystic lesions are often found by chance with modern radiologic imaging modalities. In this study, we prospectively examined the prognosis of patients with pancreatic cystic lesions, focusing on pancreatic cancer development...
- Interobserver agreement among endosonographers for the diagnosis of neoplastic versus non-neoplastic pancreatic cystic lesionsNuzhat A Ahmad
Gastroenterology Division, Department of Medicine, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia VAMC, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 19104 4283, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:59-64. 2003..The aim of this study was to evaluate the degree of agreement among endosonographers for EUS diagnosis of neoplastic versus non-neoplastic pancreatic cystic lesions and the specific type of cystic lesion...
- Cystic pancreatic neoplasms evaluation by CT and magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatographyDushyant Sahani
Department of Abdominal Imaging and Intervention, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 32 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:657-72. 2002..Among branch duct-type tumors, malignant tumors tend to be larger than benign tumors; however, this finding is variable. The presence of main pancreatic duct dilatation may be helpful in determining malignancy of branch duct-type tumors...
- The role of laparoscopy and laparoscopic ultrasound in the diagnosis of cystic lesions of the pancreasPinhas P Schachter
Department of Surgery A, E Wolfson Medical Center Holon 58100, Israel
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:759-67, vii-viii. 2002....
- Multidisciplinary management of surgical disorders of the pancreas in childhoodMark D Stringer
Children s Liver and Gastrointestinal Unit and Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Leeds, UK
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:363-7. 2005..To describe the frequency and range of pancreatic disorders in children requiring surgical intervention and to highlight the importance of multidisciplinary management...
- Role of cytology in the diagnosis of cystic and intradcutal papillary mucinous neoplasmsBarbara A Centeno
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida School of Medicine, 12902 Magnolia Drive Tampa, FL 33612, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:697-708. 2002....
- Diagnosis of cystic neoplasms with endoscopic ultrasoundHazar Michael
Winthrop University Hospital, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, 222 Station Plaza North, Suite 429, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:719-33. 2002....
- Evaluation of pancreatic cystic lesions with EUSWilliam R Brugge
GI Endoscopy Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 59:698-707. 2004
- Comparison of image quality between electronic and mechanical radial scanning echoendoscopes in pancreatic diseasesKatsushi Niwa
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:454-9. 2004..In 2000, a newly designed echoendoscope, the electronic radial scanning echoendoscope (ER-ES), appeared. The aim of the present study was to compare B-mode image quality between the ER-ES and the MR-ES in pancreatic diseases...
- Laparoscopic resection of the pancreas: a feasibility study of the short-term outcomeB Edwin
Interventional Center and Surgical Department, Rikshospitalet, Oslo, Norway
Surg Endosc 18:407-11. 2004..Laparoscopic resection is not an established treatment for tumors of the pancreas. We report our preliminary experience with this innovative approach to pancreatic disease...
- Laparoscopic pancreatic surgery: current indications and surgical resultsS Shimizu
Department of Endoscopic Diagnostics and Therapeutics, Kyushu University Faculty of Medicine, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Surg Endosc 18:402-6. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcomes and feasibility of laparoscopic pancreatic surgery...
- A case of solid-pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas: preoperative cyst fluid analysis and treatment by enucleationJonathon Ashton
Department of Surgery and Pathology, Peter Lougheed Hospital, University of Calgary, Canada
Hepatogastroenterology 50:2239-41. 2003..Cyst fluid cytology was diagnostic. The tumor was successfully treated by complete enucleation...
- Nonmucinous cystic pancreatic neoplasmsMichelle A Anderson
Endoscopic Ultrasound Program, Division of Gastroeterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, 3912 Taubman Center 0362, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0632, USA
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 12:769-79, viii. 2002..These rare cystic tumors may or may not be accompanied by excess hormone production. The prognosis for the rare cystic tumors is good if they are resected successfully...
- Proteomic Biomarkers in Pancreatic Cyst FluidsAnthony Yeung; Fiscal Year: 2006..To our knowledge, proteomic analysis of pancreatic cyst fluid has not been described...
- Using Markers to Improve Pancreatic Cancer ScreeningMichael G Goggins; Fiscal Year: 2013..pancreatic fluid among a prospective cohort of patients undergoing pancreatic cyst evaluation...
- Biomarkers of COX-2 inhibitors in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN)Christian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VEGF Promotes Pancreatic Tumor Cell Arrest in the LiverJason Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Evaluation of Biliary Strictures by IDUS, DIA, and FISHMichael Levy; Fiscal Year: 2005..Significance: The study results have the potential to significantly improve the accurate diagnosis of biliary strictures. Earlier and more definitive diagnosis will translate into improved treatment options. ..
- Zic3 and the Control of Body Pattern FormationSTEPHANIE WARE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Through a combination of supervised research, scientific interchange, and selected coursework within this environment, the candidate will obtain the training necessary to transition to an independent investigator. ..