Genomes and Genes
Summary: A vague complaint of debility, fatigue, or exhaustion attributable to weakness of various muscles. The weakness can be characterized as subacute or chronic, often progressive, and is a manifestation of many muscle and neuromuscular diseases. (From Wyngaarden et al., Cecil Textbook of Medicine, 19th ed, p2251)
Publications322 found, 100 shown here
- Misregulated alternative splicing of BIN1 is associated with T tubule alterations and muscle weakness in myotonic dystrophyCharlotte Fugier
Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U964, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR7104, University of Strasbourg, Illkirch, France
Nat Med 17:720-5. 2011..Finally, reproducing BIN1 splicing alteration in mice is sufficient to promote T tubule alterations and muscle weakness, a predominant feature of myotonic dystrophy.
- Ryanodine receptor oxidation causes intracellular calcium leak and muscle weakness in agingDaniel C Andersson
Department of Physiology and Cellular Biophysics, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Cell Metab 14:196-207. 2011..Taken together, these data indicate that leaky RyR1 contributes to age-related loss of muscle function...
- Muscle weakness and atrophy are associated with decreased regenerative capacity and changes in mTOR signaling in skeletal muscles of venerable (18-24-month-old) dystrophic mdx miceE Mouisel
INSERM U974 CNRS UMR 7215, 105 bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, F 75013 France
Muscle Nerve 41:809-18. 2010..Progressive muscle weakness and atrophy in mdx mouse muscle is associated with a decline in regenerative potential and changes in ..
- Reference values of maximum isometric muscle force obtained in 270 children aged 4-16 years by hand-held dynamometryE A Beenakker
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB, The, Groningen, Netherlands
Neuromuscul Disord 11:441-6. 2001..These age-related reference values can be used to quantify muscle weakness in individual muscle groups in children aged 4-16 years and to evaluate the effects of therapy.
- Skeletal muscle weakness due to deficiency of CuZn-superoxide dismutase is associated with loss of functional innervationLisa M Larkin
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2200, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 301:R1400-7. 2011..We tested the hypothesis that muscle weakness in Sod1(-/-) mice is due to functionally denervated fibers by comparing forces during nerve and direct muscle ..
- Changes in cross-bridge cycling underlie muscle weakness in patients with tropomyosin 3-based myopathyCoen A C Ottenheijm
Department of Physiology, Institute for Cardiovascular Research, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam 1081 BT, The Netherlands
Hum Mol Genet 20:2015-25. 2011..which are related to loss of thin-filament functions normally exerted by nebulin, the pathogenesis of muscle weakness in patients with TPM3 mutations remains largely unknown...
- Hip muscle weakness in individuals with medial knee osteoarthritisRana S Hinman
University of Melbourne, Australia
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1190-3. 2010..To compare the strength of the hip musculature in people with symptomatic medial knee osteoarthritis (OA) with asymptomatic controls...
- How respiratory muscle strength correlates with cough capacity in patients with respiratory muscle weaknessJung Hyun Park
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Eulji University Hospital, Daejeon, Korea
Yonsei Med J 51:392-7. 2010The purpose of this study is to investigate how respiratory muscle strength correlates to cough capacity in patients with respiratory muscle weakness.
- Critical illness polyneuropathy and myopathy: a major cause of muscle weakness and paralysisNicola Latronico
Department of Anaesthesia, Intensive Care, and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Neuroanaesthesia and Neurocritical Care, University of Brescia, Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy
Lancet Neurol 10:931-41. 2011..illness polyneuropathy (CIP) and myopathy (CIM) are complications of critical illness that present with muscle weakness and failure to wean from the ventilator...
- Skeletal muscle weakness, exercise tolerance and physical activity in adults with cystic fibrosisT Troosters
Respiratory Rehabilitation and Respiratory Division, UZ Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur Respir J 33:99-106. 2009The aim of the present study was to investigate the prevalence of muscle weakness and the importance of physical inactivity in cystic fibrosis (CF), and its relationship to exercise tolerance and muscle strength...
- Physical inactivity and muscle weakness in the critically illMelissa A Chambers
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Crit Care Med 37:S337-46. 2009Patients in the intensive care unit commonly develop muscle weakness. In part, this reflects loss of mechanical loading due to physical inactivity, bed rest, or immobilization...
- Effects of a R133W beta-tropomyosin mutation on regulation of muscle contraction in single human muscle fibresJulien Ochala
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Entrance 85, 3rd Floor, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
J Physiol 581:1283-92. 2007A novel R133W beta-tropomyosin (beta-Tm) mutation, associated with muscle weakness and distal limb deformities, has recently been identified in a woman and her daughter...
- The effect of inspiratory muscles fatigue on postural control in people with and without recurrent low back painLotte Janssens
Musculoskeletal Research Unit, Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Leuven K U Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, Leuven, Belgium
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1088-94. 2010..A 2-group experimental design...
- Disrupted myosin cross-bridge cycling kinetics triggers muscle weakness in nebulin-related myopathyJulien Ochala
Department of Neuroscience, Clinical Neurophysiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Entrance 85, 3rd Floor, SE 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
FASEB J 25:1903-13. 2011..Mutations in the nebulin gene (NEB) lead to muscle weakness and various congenital myopathies...
- The role of muscle weakness in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritisM V Hurley
Rehabilitation Research Unit, King s College London, Dulwich, United Kingdom
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 25:283-98, vi. 1999....
- Epidemiology and consequences of sarcopeniaG Abellan Van Kan
Gerontopole, Department of Geriatric Medicine, CHU Toulouse, France
J Nutr Health Aging 13:708-12. 2009..The aim of the present paper was to perform a comprehensive review of the literature on the epidemiology of sarcopenia and its consequences to be presented on November 13th and 14th 2008, at the Carla Workshop...
- Fukutin gene mutations cause dilated cardiomyopathy with minimal muscle weaknessTerumi Murakami
Department of Neuromuscular Research, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Neurol 60:597-602. 2006..Fukuyama-type congenital muscular dystrophy is one of the disorders associated with glycosylation defects of alpha-dystroglycan, an indispensable molecule for intra-extra cell membrane linkage...
- A comprehensive endocrine description of Kennedy's disease revealing androgen insensitivity linked to CAG repeat lengthS Dejager
Department of Endocrinology, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:3893-901. 2002..In clinical practice, KD patients are often misdiagnosed as having amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Careful examination of the endocrine component could avoid such a deleterious misdiagnosis...
- Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness and activation failure in patients with symptomatic knee osteoarthritisMichael D Lewek
Department of Physical Therapy and Biomechanics and Movement Science Program, 301 McKinly Laboratory, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
J Orthop Res 22:110-5. 2004..The purpose of this study was to determine the extent of quadriceps muscle weakness and activation failure in middle aged patients with symptomatic medial knee osteoarthritis using maximum ..
- Falls in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an observational cohort studyM Roig
Department of Physical Therapy, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Respir Med 105:461-9. 2011..To investigate incidence, risk factors and impact of falls on health related quality of life (HRQoL) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Evaluation of the patient with muscle weaknessAaron Saguil
Department of Familiy Medicine, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington 98431, USA
Am Fam Physician 71:1327-36. 2005b>Muscle weakness is a common complaint among patients presenting to family physicians...
- Intensive-care-unit-acquired muscle weaknessSteven Deem
Anesthesiology Department, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Respir Care 51:1042-52; discussion 1052-3. 2006Neuromuscular abnormalities culminating in skeletal-muscle weakness occur very commonly in critically ill patients...
- Peak flow and peak cough flow in the evaluation of expiratory muscle weakness and bulbar impairment in patients with neuromuscular diseaseAdrián Alejandro Suárez
Instituto de Investigaciones Medicas Alfredo Lanari, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 81:506-11. 2002..To study the expiratory muscle force and the ability to cough estimated by the peak expiratory flow and peak cough flow in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis...
- Symptomatic dystrophinopathies in female childrenNatashia Seemann
Department of Pediatrics, Schulich School of Medicine, University of Western Ontario, Canada
Neuromuscul Disord 21:172-7. 2011..Presenting symptoms included proximal muscle weakness (6/9), calf pseudohypertrophy (5/9), abnormal gait (5/9) and myalgias (5/9)...
- Cross-bridge mechanisms of muscle weakness in multiple sclerosisDena J P Garner
Department of Exercise and Sport Science, 105 Women s Building, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331, USA
Muscle Nerve 27:456-64. 2003..These changes explain part of the muscle weakness and fatigue experienced by individuals with MS.
- Sildenafil reduces respiratory muscle weakness and fibrosis in the mdx mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophyJustin M Percival
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Pathol 228:77-87. 2012..model of DMD with the PDE5 inhibitor sildenafil (Viagra(®), Revatio(®)) significantly reduced mdx diaphragm muscle weakness without impacting fatigue resistance...
- The molecular basis of skeletal muscle weakness in a mouse model of inflammatory myopathyWilliam Coley
Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Arthritis Rheum 64:3750-9. 2012It is generally believed that muscle weakness in patients with polymyositis and dermatomyositis is due to autoimmune and inflammatory processes...
- Mice deficient in ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation suffer from muscle weakness that reflects a growth defect and energy deficitIgor Ruvinsky
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, IMRIC, Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
PLoS ONE 4:e5618. 2009..A relatively passive behavior of these mice has raised the possibility that they suffer from muscle weakness, which has, indeed, been confirmed by a variety of physical performance tests.
- Fatigue is associated with muscle weakness in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: an explorative studyN C Voermans
Department of Neurology, Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Physiotherapy 97:170-4. 2011..It has recently been shown that muscle weakness occurs frequently in EDS, and that fatigue is a common and clinically important symptom...
- Quadriceps arthrogenic muscle inhibition: neural mechanisms and treatment perspectivesDavid Andrew Rice
Health and Rehabilitation Research Centre, AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
Semin Arthritis Rheum 40:250-66. 2010..The goal of this review is to provide a contemporary view of the neural mechanisms responsible for AMI as well as to highlight therapeutic interventions that may help clinicians overcome AMI...
- Anti-FGF-23 neutralizing antibodies ameliorate muscle weakness and decreased spontaneous movement of Hyp miceYukiko Aono
Pharmacological Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kirin Company, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 26:803-10. 2011..Patients with hypophosphatemic rickets/osteomalacia often complain of muscle weakness and bone pain that severely affect daily activities of these patients...
- Technology to enhance physical rehabilitation of critically ill patientsDale M Needham
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Crit Care Med 37:S436-41. 2009..The introduction of physical medicine and rehabilitation-related technology into the intensive care unit may help facilitate delivery of this therapy...
- Quadriceps weakness predicts risk for knee joint space narrowing in women in the MOST cohortN A Segal
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, The University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA, USA
Osteoarthritis Cartilage 18:769-75. 2010..This study examined the relationship between quadriceps strength and worsening of knee joint space narrowing (JSN) over 30 months...
- Voluntary activation and decreased force production of the quadriceps femoris muscle after total knee arthroplastyRyan L Mizner
Biomechanics and Movement Science Program, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Delaware, Newark, Del 19716, USA
Phys Ther 83:359-65. 2003Quadriceps femoris muscle weakness as manifested by a decrease in force-generating capability is a persistent problem after total knee arthroplasty (TKA)...
- Experimental animal models of muscle wasting in intensive care unit patientsLars Larsson
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Uppsala University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Crit Care Med 35:S484-7. 2007..However, the study of generalized muscle weakness in critically ill ICU patients is further complicated by the coexistence of multiple independent factors, ..
- Muscle weakness, spasticity and disuse contribute to demineralization and geometric changes in the radius following chronic strokeM Y C Pang
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong, China
Osteoporos Int 18:1243-52. 2007..Bone mineral density and cortical thickness on the affected side were compromised when compared with the unaffected side. Muscle weakness, spasticity, and disuse were identified as contributing factors to such changes.
- ETFDH mutations, CoQ10 levels, and respiratory chain activities in patients with riboflavin-responsive multiple acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiencyWen Chen Liang
Department of Neuromuscular Research, National Institute of Neuroscience, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry, 4 1 1 Ogawahigashi cho, Kodaira, Tokyo 187 8502, Japan
Neuromuscul Disord 19:212-6. 2009..Three patients improved on riboflavin together with carnitine. Our results show that not all MADD patients have CoQ(10) deficiency. Based upon our data, riboflavin and carnitine may be the first-line treatment for MADD...
- Dropped head syndrome in mitochondriopathyJ Finsterer
Neurological Hospital Rosenhugel, Postfach 348, 1180, Vienna, Austria
Eur Spine J 13:652-6. 2004..Anti-Parkinson medication is of limited effect...
- Impact of post-synaptic block of neuromuscular transmission, muscle unloading and mechanical ventilation on skeletal muscle protein and mRNA expressionH Norman
Department of Neuroscience Clinical Neurophysiology, Uppsala University, SE 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Pflugers Arch 453:53-66. 2006..We report that NMB has both a larger and different impact on muscle, at the protein and mRNA levels, than DEN has...
- Quadriceps strength and volitional activation before and after total knee arthroplasty for osteoarthritisJennifer E Stevens
Department of Physical Therapy and Graduate Program in Biomechanics and Movement Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716, USA
J Orthop Res 21:775-9. 2003..The purpose of this investigation was to assess contributions of AMI to quadriceps weakness before and after TKA and to assess the effect of pain on AMI...
- Increased expression of wild-type or a centronuclear myopathy mutant of dynamin 2 in skeletal muscle of adult mice leads to structural defects and muscle weaknessBelinda S Cowling
Department of Translational Medicine and Neurogenetics, Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, Illkirch, France
Am J Pathol 178:2224-35. 2011..Therefore, DNM2 plays important roles in the maintenance of adult muscle fibers...
- Progressive skeletal muscle weakness in transgenic mice expressing CTG expansions is associated with the activation of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathwayAlban Vignaud
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, UMRS974, F 75013 Paris, France
Neuromuscul Disord 20:319-25. 2010..disease caused by the expansion of a CTG repeat in the DMPK gene and characterised by progressive skeletal muscle weakness and wasting...
- Myofibrillar myopathiesDuygu Selcen
Department of Neurology, Division of Child Neurology and Neuromuscular Disease Research Laboratory, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Neuromuscul Disord 21:161-71. 2011..The clinical features of myofibrillar myopathies are more variable. These include progressive muscle weakness, that often involves or begins in distal muscles but limb-girdle or scapuloperoneal distributions can also ..
- Bradykinesia, muscle weakness and reduced muscle power in Parkinson's diseaseNatalie E Allen
The University of Sydney, Australia
Mov Disord 24:1344-51. 2009..The absence of bradykinesia in the PD group when lifting heavy loads warrants further investigation...
- Neuromuscular sequelae of critical illnessLeonard D Hudson
N Engl J Med 348:745-7. 2003
- Invited review: Aging and sarcopeniaTimothy J Doherty
RM 066, St Mary s Hospital, St Joseph s Health Centre, 21 Grosvenor St, London, ON, Canada N6A 1Y6
J Appl Physiol (1985) 95:1717-27. 2003....
- Development of a French isometric strength normative database for adults using quantitative muscle testingJean Yves Hogrel
Institut de Myologie, GH Pitié Salpétrière, Paris, France
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:1289-97. 2007..To establish a normative database for isometric strength measured by quantitative muscle testing (QMT) for a French adult population...
- Quadriceps weakness and its relationship to tibiofemoral and patellofemoral knee osteoarthritis in Chinese: the Beijing osteoarthritis studyKristin R Baker
Clinical Epidemiology and Research Training Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:1815-21. 2004..Our objective was to determine the association of muscle weakness with compartment-specific knee OA, to evaluate sex-specific differences in this relationship, and to ..
- Function and bulk of respiratory and limb muscles in patients with cystic fibrosisChristophe Pinet
Department of Chest Medicine, Erasme University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:989-94. 2003Inspiratory muscle weakness due to lung hyperinflation and muscle wasting may occur in cystic fibrosis...
- DermatomyositisJeffrey P Callen
Division of Dermatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40202, USA
Clin Dermatol 24:363-73. 2006..It is characterized clinically by progressive symmetrical proximal muscle weakness and a characteristic rash. There are patients with rash who have little or no muscle disease...
- Effects of an aerobic exercise program on aerobic capacity, spatiotemporal gait parameters, and functional capacity in subacute strokeAda Tang
Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Ontario, Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 23:398-406. 2009....
- Mechanisms underlying quadriceps weakness in knee osteoarthritisStephanie C Petterson
School of Health and Bioscience, University of East London, London, U K
Med Sci Sports Exerc 40:422-7. 2008..To identify determinants of quadriceps weakness among persons with end-stage knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Bench-to-bedside review: mobilizing patients in the intensive care unit--from pathophysiology to clinical trialsAlex D Truong
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Crit Care 13:216. 2009..Further research is required to determine whether early mobility in the ICU can improve patients' short-term and long-term outcomes...
- Static postural sway, proprioception, and maximal voluntary quadriceps contraction in patients with knee osteoarthritis and normal control subjectsB S Hassan
Academic Rheumatology, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, City Hospital, Nottingham, NG5 1PB, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 60:612-8. 2001..Pain and muscle strength may particularly influence postural sway. The interaction between physiological, structural, and functional abnormalities in knee OA deserves further study...
- Measuring muscle strength for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: retest reliability of hand-held dynamometryNicholas F Taylor
Physiotherapy Department, Wodonga Regional Health Service, Wodonga, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 88:32-6. 2007..To evaluate the retest reliability and quantify the degree of measurement error when measuring isometric muscle strength with a hand-held dynamometer for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Muscle weakness in Ryr1I4895T/WT knock-in mice as a result of reduced ryanodine receptor Ca2+ ion permeation and release from the sarcoplasmic reticulumRyan E Loy
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
J Gen Physiol 137:43-57. 2011..Collectively, these findings indicate that in vivo muscle weakness observed in IT/+ knock-in mice arises from a reduction in the magnitude and rate of RYR1 Ca(2+) release ..
- The role of systemic inflammation in age-related muscle weakness and wastingH Degens
Institute for Biomedical Research into Human Movement and Health, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester M1 5GD, UK
Scand J Med Sci Sports 20:28-38. 2010Ageing is associated with a slow, but progressive muscle weakness, which is largely attributable to muscle wasting...
- One-year outcomes in survivors of the acute respiratory distress syndromeMargaret S Herridge
Department of Medicine, University Health Network, Toronto, Ont, Canada
N Engl J Med 348:683-93. 2003..As more patients survive the acute respiratory distress syndrome, an understanding of the long-term outcomes of this condition is needed...
- Evaluation of therapeutic riding (Sweden)/hippotherapy (United States). A single-subject experimental design study replicated in eleven patients with multiple sclerosisAnn Hammer
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Orebro University Hospital, S 701 85 Orebro, Sweden
Physiother Theory Pract 21:51-77. 2005..Changes in SF-36 were mostly positive, with an improvement in Role-Emotional seen in eight patients. Conclusively, balance and Role-Emotional were the variables most often improved, but TR/HT appeared to benefit the subjects differently...
- Human disease caused by loss of fast IIa myosin heavy chain due to recessive MYH2 mutationsHoma Tajsharghi
Department of Pathology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Gothenburg, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, 413 45 Gothenburg, Sweden
Brain 133:1451-9. 2010..The patients had early-onset symptoms characterized by mild generalized muscle weakness, extraocular muscle involvement and relatively favourable prognosis...
- Muscle weakness, hyperactivity, and impairment in fear conditioning in tau-deficient miceS Ikegami
Mitsubishi Kasei Institute of Life Sciences, Tokyo, Japan
Neurosci Lett 279:129-32. 2000..Tau-deficient mice showed muscle weakness in the wire-hanging test, hyperactivity in a novel environment, and impairment in the contextual fear ..
- Doxorubicin acts through tumor necrosis factor receptor subtype 1 to cause dysfunction of murine skeletal muscleLaura A A Gilliam
Department of Physiology, 3Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:1935-42. 2009Cancer patients receiving doxorubicin chemotherapy experience both muscle weakness and fatigue...
- Dystrophin analysis in carriers of Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophyEdo M Hoogerwaard
Department of Neurology, Academic Medical Centre, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Neurology 65:1984-6. 2005Associations between clinical phenotype (muscle weakness, dilated cardiomyopathy) and dystrophin abnormalities in muscle tissue among definite carriers of Duchenne (DMD) and Becker muscular dystrophy (BMD) were investigated...
- Clinical features of spinal and bulbar muscular atrophyLindsay E Rhodes
Neurogenetics Branch, NINDS, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
Brain 132:3242-51. 2009....
- Quadriceps activation failure as a moderator of the relationship between quadriceps strength and physical function in individuals with knee osteoarthritisG Kelley Fitzgerald
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:40-8. 2004..To determine if quadriceps activation failure (QAF) moderates the relationship between quadriceps strength and physical function in individuals with knee osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome due to tenascin-X deficiency: muscle weakness and contractures support overlap with collagen VI myopathiesN C Voermans
Am J Med Genet A 143:2215-9. 2007
- Increased duration of mechanical ventilation is associated with decreased diaphragmatic force: a prospective observational studyGreet Hermans
Medical Intensive Care Unit, General Internal Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven, Herestraat 49, B3000 Leuven, Belgium
Crit Care 14:R127. 2010Respiratory muscle weakness is an important risk factor for delayed weaning. Animal data show that mechanical ventilation itself can cause atrophy and weakness of the diaphragm, called ventilator-induced diaphragmatic dysfunction (VIDD)...
- Impaired mitochondrial respiration and decreased fatigue resistance followed by severe muscle weakness in skeletal muscle of mitochondrial DNA mutator miceTakashi Yamada
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
J Physiol 590:6187-97. 2012..This was followed by severe muscle weakness in the end stage...
- Addition of inspiratory muscle training to aerobic training improves cardiorespiratory responses to exercise in patients with heart failure and inspiratory muscle weaknessEliane R Winkelmann
Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am Heart J 158:768.e1-7. 2009..training (IMT) to aerobic exercise training (AE) results in further improvement in cardiorespiratory responses to exercise than those obtained with AE in patients with chronic heart failure (CHF) and inspiratory muscle weakness (IMW).
- Rehabilitation in practice: management of lower motor neuron weaknessGita M Ramdharry
St George s School of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Health and Social Care Sciences, St George s University of London and Kingston University, UK
Clin Rehabil 24:387-97. 2010..Interventions to reduce weakness or address the functional consequences of weakness are evaluated with consideration of safety and clinical application...
- Molecular mechanisms of intensive care unit-acquired weaknessS Bloch
Dept of Molecular Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London, UK
Eur Respir J 39:1000-11. 2012..As knowledge and understanding of ICUAW grows, potential therapeutic targets will be identified, hopefully leading to multiple strategies for prevention and treatment of this important condition...
- Neuromuscular blockade and skeletal muscle weakness in critically ill patients: time to rethink the evidence?Zudin Puthucheary
Institute for Human Health and Performance, University College London, London, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185:911-7. 2012..clinical view of an adverse relationship between the use of neuromuscular blocking agents and skeletal muscle weakness. In addition to discussing data, this review identifies potential confounders and alternative etiological ..
- Cardiac abnormalities and skeletal muscle weakness in carriers of Duchenne and Becker muscular dystrophies and controlsL Grain
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, OX3 9DU, Oxford, UK
Neuromuscul Disord 11:186-91. 2001Cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy and skeletal muscle weakness have been described in female carriers of the Xp21 (Duchenne and Becker) muscular dystrophies (J Neurol 1975;209(4):279-285; Br Med J 1969;2:418-420; J AmMed Assoc 1996;..
- Selective diaphragm muscle weakness after contractile inactivity during thoracic surgeryWillem N Welvaart
Department of Surgery, VU University Medical Center Institute for Cardiovascular Research, The Netherlands
Ann Surg 254:1044-9. 2011..The pathophysiology of these complications might involve postoperative inspiratory muscle weakness. The nature of postoperative inspiratory muscle weakness is unknown.
- Effect of proteasome inhibitors on endotoxin-induced diaphragm dysfunctionG S Supinski
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536 0284, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 296:L994-L1001. 2009..in sepsis, and it has been postulated that this degradative pathway is responsible for inducing skeletal muscle weakness and wasting...
- Deep breathing heart rate variability is associated with respiratory muscle weakness in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseMichel Silva Reis
Cardiopulmonary Physiotherapy Laboratory, Nucleus of Research in Physical Exercise, Federal University of Sao Carlos, Sao Carlos, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 65:369-75. 2010A synchronism exists between the respiratory and cardiac cycles. However, the influence of the inspiratory muscle weakness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) on cardiac autonomic control is unknown...
- Relative impact of radiographic osteoarthritis and pain on quadriceps strength, proprioception, static postural sway and lower limb functionM C Hall
Division of Physiotherapy Education, University of Nottingham, Clinical Sciences Building, Hucknall Rd, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Ann Rheum Dis 65:865-70. 2006..To investigate the relative impact of radiographic osteoarthritis (ROA) and current knee pain on lower limb physical function, quadriceps strength, knee joint proprioception, and postural sway...
- Effects of cryotherapy on arthrogenic muscle inhibition using an experimental model of knee swellingDavid Rice
AUT University, Auckland, New Zealand
Arthritis Rheum 61:78-83. 2009..This laboratory-based study examined the efficacy of cryotherapy in reducing quadriceps AMI caused by intraarticular swelling...
- Increased CaVbeta1A expression with aging contributes to skeletal muscle weaknessJackson R Taylor
Department of Internal Medicine Gerontology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 1 Medical Center Boulvard, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Aging Cell 8:584-94. 2009..These studies imply CaVbeta1a serves as both a positive and negative regulator CaV1.1 expression, and that endogenous overexpression of CaVbeta1a during old age may play a role in the loss of specific force...
- [Muscle weakness]G Coppola
Medizinische Poliklinik, Departement fur Innere Medizin, Universitatsspital Zurich
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:236-40. 2003..The symptoms resolved under treatment with potassium, betablocker and thyrostatic agents. The patient was treated with warfarin because of atrial fibrillation and finally underwent electroconversion...
- Narrative review: ventilator-induced respiratory muscle weaknessMartin J Tobin
Edward Hines Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, Hines, Illinois 60141, USA
Ann Intern Med 153:240-5. 2010..Research on ventilator-induced respiratory muscle injury is in its infancy and portends to be an exciting area to follow...
- Clinical spectrum of muscle weakness in human West Nile virus infectionA Arturo Leis
Center for Neuroscience and Neurological Recovery, Methodist Rehabilitation Center, 1350 East Woodrow Wilson, Suite 2, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Muscle Nerve 28:302-8. 2003Poliomyelitis has recently been identified as a cause of muscle weakness in patients with West Nile virus (WNV) infection. However, the clinical spectrum of WNV-associated weakness has not been described...
- Muscle weakness in Parkinson's disease: a follow-up studyH Nogaki
Department of Neurology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine, Minami Kogushi, 1 1 1, Ube, 755 8505, Japan
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 8:57-62. 2001..Speed-force correlation seen in these patients may give clues to the understanding of the pathophysiology of bradykinesia...
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation study of expiratory muscle weakness in acute ischemic strokeF Harraf
Department of Stroke Medicine, King s College London, London, UK
Neurology 71:2000-7. 2008Expiratory muscle weakness due to cerebral infarction may contribute to reduced airway clearance in stroke patients.
- Induction of muscle weakness by local inflammation: an experimental animal modelS Bicer
Department of Oral Biology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210 1247, USA
Inflamm Res 58:175-83. 2009..The objective of this study was to characterize the response of skeletal muscle to a localized inflammation induced by the inflammatory agent casein...
- Muscle weakness, palpitations and a small chin: the Andersen-Tawil syndromeS Rajakulendran
Institute of Neurology, University College of London, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Pract Neurol 10:227-31. 2010..Mutations in a potassium channel gene, KCNJ2 which encodes the potassium channel, Kir2.1, underlie the disorder. Here, the authors describe a patient and review the clinical spectrum and genetic features of the disorder...
- Eosinophilic myositis as presenting symptom in gamma-sarcoglycanopathySarah K Baumeister
Friedrich Baur Institute, Department of Neurology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Ziemssenstr 1a, 80336 Munchen, Germany
Neuromuscul Disord 19:167-71. 2009..Eosinophilia has been reported previously in patients with Calpainopathy and Becker Muscular Dystrophy and might be an early, but transient feature of a wider range of muscular dystrophies...
- Expression of protein kinase C isoforms and interleukin-1beta in myofibrillar myopathyG Vattemi
Department of Neurological Sciences and Vision, Section of Clinical Neurology, Clinica Neurologica, Policlinico G B Rossi, Verona, Italy
Neurology 62:1778-82. 2004..The pathogenesis of this myopathy is not well understood. The morphologic hallmark is myofibrillar destruction with abnormal expression of numerous proteins, most consistently of desmin...
- Effects of conventional physical therapy and functional strength training on upper limb motor recovery after stroke: a randomized phase II studyCatherine Donaldson
Clinical Development Sciences, St George s University London, London, United Kingdom
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 23:389-97. 2009..Combining these as functional strength training (FST) might enhance the benefit, but it is unclear whether this is better than conventional physical therapy (CPT). Comparing FST with CPT is not straightforward...
- Understanding critical illness myopathy: approaching the pathomechanismOliver Friedrich
Medical Biophysics, Institute of Physiology and Pathophysiology, University of Heidelberg, INF 326, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
J Nutr 135:1813S-1817S. 2005..To explain muscle weakness in CIM, serum fractions acutely modified membrane excitability and subcellular Ca2+ regulation in an animal ..
- Dropped head syndrome: a case series and literature reviewTimothy G Petheram
Spinal Unit, Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre, Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Exeter, EX2 5DW, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:47-51. 2008..Case series and literature review...
- Inspiratory muscle weakness in diastolic dysfunctionMarc H Lavietes
University Hospital I354, 100 Bergen St, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Chest 126:838-44. 2004..with well-documented diastolic dysfunction (DD) in the setting of normal systolic function will have inspiratory muscle weakness when compared to normal control subjects, and will experience dyspnea and tachypnea during exercise.
- A whole genome scan for quantitative trait loci for leg weakness and its related traits in a large F2 intercross population between White Duroc and ErhualianY M Guo
Key Laboratory for Animal Biotechnology of Jiangxi Province and Ministry of Agriculture of China, Jiangxi Agricultural University, Nanchang 330045, China
J Anim Sci 87:1569-75. 2009..Two chromosome regions each on SSC4 and SSC7 showed significant and multiple associations with both leg weakness and growth of the biceps brachii muscle, which are worthwhile for further investigation...
- Dropped head as an unusual presenting sign of myasthenia gravisN Di Benedetto
Dipartimento Universitario di Neuroscienze Cliniche, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Via Gaetano La Loggia 1, I 90129 Palermo, Italy
Neurol Sci 28:104-6. 2007..The case we describe concerns a 61-year-old woman with dropped-head syndrome as the unique complaint of myasthenia gravis...
- Contribution of muscle weakness to postural instability in the elderly. A systematic reviewR Orr
Exercise Health and Performance, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney, Australia
Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 46:183-220. 2010The aim of this review was to examine the contribution of muscle weakness to postural stability in healthy older adults and to determine the relationship between muscle weakness and balance impairment.
- Zmpste24 deficiency in mice causes spontaneous bone fractures, muscle weakness, and a prelamin A processing defectMartin O Bergo
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94141 9100, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:13049-54. 2002..Zmpste24(-/-) mice also manifested muscle weakness in the lower and upper extremities, resembling mice lacking the farnesylated CAAX protein prelamin A...
- Caspase activation contributes to endotoxin-induced diaphragm weaknessGerald S Supinski
Department of Medicine, 1120 15th St, Rm BBR 5513, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 3135, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 100:1770-7. 2006Infections produce significant respiratory muscle weakness, but the mechanisms by which inflammation reduces muscle force remain incompletely understood...
- The clinical spectrum of neuralgic amyotrophy in 246 casesNens van Alfen
Department of Neurology, Neuromuscular Centre Nijmegen, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Brain 129:438-50. 2006..5% in males), and their functional outcome was worse. Overall recovery was less favourable than usually assumed, with persisting pain and paresis in approximately two-thirds of the patients who were followed for 3 years or more...
- Thin filament length dysregulation contributes to muscle weakness in nemaline myopathy patients with nebulin deficiencyCoen A C Ottenheijm
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Hum Mol Genet 18:2359-69. 2009..Clinically the most important feature of NM is muscle weakness; however, the mechanisms underlying this weakness are poorly understood...
- Intensive care unit-acquired weaknessRichard D Griffiths
Pathophysiology Research Unit, School of Clinical Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Crit Care Med 38:779-87. 2010..Despite the apparent importance of this problem, much remains to be understood about its incidence, causes, prevention, and treatment...
- A recurrent R718W mutation in COMP results in multiple epiphyseal dysplasia with mild myopathy: clinical and pathogenetic overlap with collagen IX mutationsE Jakkula
J Med Genet 40:942-8. 2003
- The Nrf2-ARE Pathway in Amyotrophic Lateral SclerosisJeffrey Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..In this case, hSOD1G93A mice on GCLM-/- background show dramatic muscle weakness (0 sec on wire hang) and initial signs of paralysis by 45 days of age compared to 120 days of age on a GCLM+/+..
- Role of troponin T isoforms in nemaline myopathyJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Nemaline myopathies are a group of neuromuscular disorders characterized by muscle weakness and rod-shaped "nemaline" inclusions in skeletal muscle fibers...
- Role of troponin T isoforms in nemaline myopathyJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Nemaline myopathies are a group of neuromuscular disorders characterized by muscle weakness and rod-shaped "nemaline" inclusions in skeletal muscle fibers...
- Spinal muscular atrophy: a novel role of SMN in axonal ribonucleoprotein complexeWilfried Rossoll; Fiscal Year: 2007..is characterized by degeneration of the anterior horn cells of the spinal cord, leading to symmetrical muscle weakness and atrophy...
- Lung VITamin D and OmegA-3 TriaL (Lung VITAL)Diane R Gold; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., respiratory infections/pneumonia, muscle weakness, cardiac failure) may benefit from vitamin D supplementation therapy but this requires rigorous testing...
- Molecular mechanisms of aging in the intrinsic laryngeal musclesColleen McMullen; Fiscal Year: 2007As individuals age, muscle weakness and neuromuscular disorders have the potential to diminish the quality of life, increase health care costs, and lead to institutionalization...
- Dystrophin restoration in two animal models of Duchenne Muscular DystrophyLOUISE RODINO; Fiscal Year: 2007..DMD only affects boys since it is on the X-chromosome which determines the sex of the baby. It causes muscle weakness due to a defective gene that results in the loss of an important muscle protein called Dystrophin...
- Mechanotransduction Approach to Improve Bone Quality in Osteogenesis ImperfectaCharlotte L Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2010..OI patients reportedly have muscle weakness. In a single study OI children were found to have reduced muscle strength and decreased exercise tolerance ..
- Role of Troponin T Isoforms in Amish Nemaline MyopathyJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2007The nemaline myopathies are neuromuscular disorders characterized by muscle weakness and rod-shaped "nemaline" inclusions in skeletal muscle fibers Recent studies have identified a recessively inherited form of nemaline myopathy, the ..
- Standardized Rehabilitation for ICU Patients with Acute Respiratory FailurePeter E Morris; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients with ARF experience deconditioning, muscle weakness, joint contractures, dyspnea, depression, and reduced health-related quality of life, all of which may ..
- Standardized Rehabilitation for ICU Patients with Acute Respiratory FailurePeter Morris; Fiscal Year: 2009..Patients with ARF experience deconditioning, muscle weakness, joint contractures, dyspnea, depression, and reduced health-related quality of life, all of which may ..
- IMPROVING GAIT AND FUNCTION IN CP BY STRENGTHENING THE ANKLEJack Engsberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..Despite recognizing that muscle weakness is a major impairment in CP, none of the treatments have the aim of increasing muscle strength...
- The Nerve Terminal as the Site of Action for Type-2 AlkenesRICHARD LOPACHIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..laboratory animals to acrylamide (ACR) produces cumulative neurotoxicity characterized by gait abnormalities, muscle weakness and a central-peripheral neuropathy...
- The Nerve Terminal as the Site of Action for Type-2 AlkenesRICHARD MICHAEL LOPACHIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..laboratory animals to acrylamide (ACR) produces cumulative neurotoxicity characterized by gait abnormalities, muscle weakness and a central-peripheral neuropathy...
- Effects of aging on immunity and autoimmunityEARLANDA WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2007Myasthenia gravis (MG) is a progressive autoimmune disorder in which patients develop severe muscle weakness which worsens with fatigue...
- PHYSIOLOGY OF RESPIRATORY MUSCLE MICRO MECHANICSALADIN BORIEK; Fiscal Year: 2004..Lack of any of these proteins causes skeletal muscle degeneration, chronic inspiratory muscle weakness, and ultimately respiratory insufficiency that leads to respiratory failure and eventually death...
- MECHANICAL VENTILATION AND RESPIRATORY MUSCLESScott Powers; Fiscal Year: 2004..Strong evidence exists that MV-induced respiratory muscle weakness contributes significantly to these difficulties in weaning...
- Arginase and Regulation of Nitric Oxide Synthase in ALSRajiv Ratan; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract): Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a prevalent neurological disorder characterized by inexorable muscle weakness leading to death...
- Neuromechanical changes caused by stroke & stretchingLi Qun Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2006Spasticity, contracture, and muscle weakness are major sources of disability following brain damage, and their development and recovery are closely interrelated...
- The Sarcolemma in FSHD and in the myd MouseRobert Bloch; Fiscal Year: 2003..Indeed, the cell biological changes that result in muscle weakness and myofiber degeneration have never been studied...
- Massage Therapy In Eccentric Exercise Induced Muscle Weakness And InflammationThomas Best; Fiscal Year: 2009..While treating muscle weakness and pain with pharmaceutical drugs and traditional exercise regimens has met with some success, large numbers ..
- Friedreich Ataxia High Throughput Drug Screening AssaysRobert Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004..and include progressive ataxia of all four limbs, dysarthria, areflexia, sensory loss, and muscle weakness. Skeletal deformities and cardiomyopathy are found in most patients, impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes ..
- The role of nucleo-cytoskeletal link proteins in skeletal muscleJu Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..the pathogenesis of Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy (EDMD), which is characterized by progressive skeletal muscle weakness with associated muscle contractures, and variable cardiac defects...
- Identification and Validation of Alcohol Biomarker Signatures by ProteomicsEmanuel Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Skeletal muscle weakness progresses in parallel with depression of the left ventricle ejection fraction...
- The Role of IL-17 Axis in Inflammatory MyositisANN M contact REED; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients with DM suffer debilitating muscle weakness, respiratory impairment, and disfiguring skin rashes...
- Relation of Alignment and Other Risk Factors to Knee OADAVID TOBIN FELSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..that the limb's alignment status affects whether other known risk factors for OA such as obesity and muscle weakness affect the risk of progression, or whether it affects...
- Relation of Alignment and Other Risk Factors to Knee OADavid Felson; Fiscal Year: 2007..data that the limb's alignment status affects whether other known risk factors for OA such as obesity and muscle weakness affect the risk of progression, or whether it affects...
- Relation of Alignment and Other Risk Factors to Knee OADavid Felson; Fiscal Year: 2009..that the limb's alignment status affects whether other known risk factors for OA such as obesity and muscle weakness affect the risk of progression, or whether it affects...
- Murine Models of Presynaptic Neuromuscular DiseaseWILLIAM ATCHISON; Fiscal Year: 2007Several human neuromuscular disorders which present as skeletal muscle weakness are associated with presynaptic impairment of release of acetycholine (ACh)...
- ALTERATIONS IN NEUROMUSCULAR FUNCTION FOLLOWING BURNSJEEVENDRA MARTYN; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Muscle weakness accompanies all forms of critical illnesses including burns, resulting in hypoventilation, dependence on respirators, and decreased mobilization, all of which lead to increased morbidity and mortality...
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Biomarkers for Muscular DystrophyKRISTA H VANDENBORNE; Fiscal Year: 2010..linked neuromuscular diseases and is characterized by the absence of dystrophin, resulting in progressive muscle weakness, loss of walking ability and premature death...
- Massage Therapy In Eccentric Exercise Induced Muscle Weakness And InflammationTHOMAS MICHAEL BEST; Fiscal Year: 2010..While treating muscle weakness and pain with pharmaceutical drugs and traditional exercise regimens has met with some success, large numbers ..
- Role of Troponin T Isoforms in Amish Nemaline MyopathyJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2003The nemaline myopathies are neuromuscular disorders characterized by muscle weakness and rod-shaped "nemaline" inclusions in skeletal muscle fibers...
- Role of Troponin T Isoforms in Amish Nemaline MyopathyJian Ping Jin; Fiscal Year: 2006The nemaline myopathies are neuromuscular disorders characterized by muscle weakness and rod-shaped "nemaline" inclusions in skeletal muscle fibers...
- Respiratory Muscle Weakness in Chronic InflammationMichael B Reid; Fiscal Year: 2010..TNF serum levels are elevated in chronic disease, correlate with muscle weakness, and are a predictor of morbidity and mortality...
- High Content Screening for Muscular DystrophyHerman Vandenburgh; Fiscal Year: 2007..skeletal muscle tissue force measurement technique for high content screening (HCS) of compounds to attenuate muscle weakness. Currently, there are few drugs besides Prednisone which are used clinically to slow muscle weakness in DMD ..
- GENE CAUSING PAGET & LIMB-GIRDLE MUSCULAR DYSTROPHYVirginia Kimonis; Fiscal Year: 2003..Muscular Dystrophy (LGMD) encompasses a clinically diverse group of disorders characterized by proximal muscle weakness first affecting the hip and shoulder girdle elevated creatinine kinase values, and non-specific changes in ..