- V-N plasty for the release of severe postburn contractures
Raeaf El Kollali
Al Babtain Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery, Ibn Sina Hospital, P O Box 25427, Safat 13115, Kuwait
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:1424-8. 2006
..We rely on the central part of the web to raise the main triangular flaps that may be used to create a functional web space. We called it the V-N plasty...
- Slow, gradual external fixator distraction in acquired ankle and foot contracture
V U E Adiela
Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Niger J Med 15:432-6. 2006
..We here report a case of ankle and foot contracture managed by soft tissue release and slow, gradual external fixator distraction...
- Skin regeneration for children with burn scar contracture using autologous cultured dermal substitutes and superthin auto-skin grafts: preliminary clinical study
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Japan
Ann Plast Surg 57:408-14. 2006
We have evaluated a novel treatment of burn scar contracture in children. This method involves the application of an autologous cultured dermal substitute (CDS), followed by a graft of superthin split-thickness skin...
- Posterior capsular contracture of the shoulder
H Gregory Bach
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois-Chicago, 60612, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14:265-77. 2006
Posterior capsular contracture is a common cause of shoulder pain in which the patient presents with restricted internal rotation and reproduction of pain...
- Treatment of axillary burn scar contracture using opposite running Y-V-plasty
Tsai Ming Lin
Department of Plastic Surgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Chung Ho Memorial Hospital, 100 Tzyou 1st Road, Kaohsiung 80708, Taiwan
Burns 31:894-900. 2005
..Flap methods have many advantages over split skin grafting, including less likelihood of recurrence of contracture as well as making prolonged splinting unnecessary...
- Combined stent and artificial urinary sphincter for management of severe recurrent bladder neck contracture and stress incontinence after prostatectomy: a long-term evaluation
D S Elliott
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 165:413-5. 2001
PURPOSE: Concurrent incontinence and severe recurrent bladder neck contracture following radical prostatectomy are difficult to manage...
- Treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction: early results and complications
Johannes A van der Sluijs
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vrije University Medical Centre, Postbus 70 57, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Orthop B 13:218-24. 2004
In this prospective study of 19 consecutive children, the operative treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction of the humeral head ..
- Circulating substance P levels and shoulder joint contracture after arthroscopic repair of the rotator cuff
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico University, Rome, Italy
Br J Sports Med 42:742-5. 2008
..To determine the plasma levels of substance P (SP) in patients with postoperative stiffness after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair...
- Valosin-containing protein and neurofibromin interact to regulate dendritic spine density
Hsiao Fang Wang
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Invest 121:4820-37. 2011
..The data presented here demonstrate that there is a link between IBMPFD and NF1 and indicate a role for VCP in synapse formation...
- Another VCP interactor: NF is enough
Conrad C Weihl
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 121:4627-30. 2011
..Thus, aberrant interactions between VCP and NF1 may explain the dementia phenotype and cognitive delay observed in patients with IBMPFD and neurofibromatosis type 1...
- Incidence of bladder neck contracture after robot-assisted laparoscopic and open radical prostatectomy
Benjamin N Breyer
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
BJU Int 106:1734-8. 2010
To evaluate the incidence and risk factors for bladder neck contracture (BNC) in men treated with robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) and open radical prostatectomy (ORP), as BNC is a well-described complication of ..
- Poikiloderma, tendon contracture and pulmonary fibrosis: a new autosomal dominant syndrome?
N P Khumalo
Division of Dermatology, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Br J Dermatol 155:1057-61. 2006
..The manifestations in this family differ from other poikilodermata and, to the best of our knowledge, have not been previously documented...
- Increased resistance to hydrogen peroxide-induced cardiac contracture is associated with decreased myocardial oxidative stress in hypothyroid rats
Alex Sander da Rosa Araujo
Physiology Department, Basic Health Sciences Institute at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Cell Biochem Funct 28:38-44. 2010
..of this study was to determine whether decreased oxidative stress would increase the resistance to cardiac contracture induced by H(2)O(2) in hypothyroid rats. Male Wistar rats were divided into two groups: control and hypothyroid...
- Overstretching of sarcomeres may not cause cerebral palsy muscle contracture
Mark J C Smeulders
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Suite G4-226, PO Box 22700, Amsterdam 1100 DE, The Netherlands
J Orthop Res 22:1331-5. 2004
To answer the question whether the muscle contracture in patients with cerebral palsy is caused by overstretching of in-series sarcomeres we studied the active and passive force-length relationship of the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle (FCU)..
- Complete transection of the median and radial nerves during arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Burns, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
Arthroscopy 15:784-7. 1999
..A few recent reports of small series have described encouraging results after arthroscopic capsular release of post-traumatic elbow contracture, but the present case demonstrates the inherent risk of damage to neurovascular structures.
- Arthroscopic treatment of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Craig M Ball
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barnes-Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:624-9. 2002
..range of motion and patient-reported outcome after complete arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture. Fourteen consecutive patients who underwent elbow arthroscopy and capsular release were reviewed ..
- Recurrence of subglandular breast implant capsular contracture: anterior versus total capsulectomy
Department of Plastic Surgery at Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorkshire, England
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:792-7. 2000
..study was to determine whether the type of capsulectomy, anterior or total, affects the recurrence of capsular contracture around subglandular silicone-gel breast implants...
- Obstetrical brachial plexus injuries: incidence, natural course and shoulder contracture
A F Hoeksma
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 14:523-6. 2000
..plexus injury (OBPI) was investigated and the natural course of this disorder and the frequency of shoulder contracture described...
- Flap choices to treat complex severe postburn hand contracture
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 58:479-83. 2007
..dorsal ulnar flap for palmar region, cross-finger flap, side finger flap, and combined use of both for flexion contracture of the fingers, and rhomboid flap for web contractures...
- Effects of splinting on wrist contracture after stroke: a randomized controlled trial
Natasha A Lannin
Rehabilitation Studies Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2112 Australia
Stroke 38:111-6. 2007
Splints are commonly applied to the wrist and hand to prevent and treat contracture after stroke. However, there have been few randomized trials of this intervention...
- Radial nerve palsy after arthroscopic anterior capsular release for degenerative elbow contracture
Jin Young Park
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kunkok Hospital, Konkuk University, School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Arthroscopy 23:1360.e1-3. 2007
..after arthroscopic anterior capsular release using a ball-tipped electrocautery device on a degenerative elbow contracture. We supposed that the electrocautery device caused transiently thermal injury of the radial nerve despite ..
- Passive stretching does not enhance outcomes in patients with plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture: a randomized controlled trial
Anne M Moseley
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1118-26. 2005
To compare the efficacy of short- and long-duration passive stretches with a control treatment for the management of plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture.
- Lengthening of subscapularis and transfer of the lower trapezius in the correction of recurrent internal rotation contracture following obstetric brachial plexus palsy
J A Bertelli
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Governador Celso Ramos Hospital, Rua Newton Ramos 70, apto 901, Florianopolis, SC 88015395, Brazil
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:943-8. 2009
An internal rotation contracture is a common complication of obstetric brachial plexus palsy...
- Improvement in abduction of the shoulder after reconstructive soft-tissue procedures in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 West Holcombe, Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:620-6. 2007
- Surgical correction of the medial rotation contracture in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 W Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:1638-44. 2007
The medial rotation contracture caused by weak external rotation secondary to obstetric brachial plexus injury leads to deformation of the bones of the shoulder...
- Glenohumeral deformity in children with internal rotation contractures secondary to brachial plexus birth palsy: intraoperative arthrographic classification
Darissa S Kon
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Radiology 231:791-5. 2004
- The Tardieu Scale differentiates contracture from spasticity whereas the Ashworth Scale is confounded by it
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Sydney, Australia
Clin Rehabil 20:173-82. 2006
..Scale as well as laboratory measures of spasticity (stretch-induced electromyographic (EMG) activity) and contracture (maximum passive joint excursion) were collected from the affected elbow flexors and extensors and ankle ..
- Ocular findings of Beals syndrome
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Ryukyu University, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 48:470-4. 2004
..In this report of two Okinawan patients with Beals syndrome and accompanying ocular complications, the symptoms of Beals syndrome and Marfan syndrome are compared. The etiology of these two syndromes is considered in relation to fibrillin...
- Operative treatment of elbow contracture in patients twenty-one years of age or younger
Anthony A Stans
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:382-7. 2002
BACKGROUND: Elbow contracture is a recognized sequela of traumatic and developmental elbow disorders, but little information is available regarding the surgical treatment of elbow stiffness in the pediatric population...
- Thirty minutes of positioning reduces the development of shoulder external rotation contracture after stroke: a randomized controlled trial
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:230-4. 2005
To determine the efficacy of positioning the affected shoulder in flexion and external rotation to prevent contracture shortly after stroke.
- Chronic flexion contracture of proximal interphalangeal joint treated with the compass hinge external fixator. A consecutive series of 27 cases
Department of Orthopaedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
J Hand Surg [Br] 27:356-8. 2002
..Complications included superficial pin-track infection in 11 cases and pin loosening in four cases...
- Iliac hyperdense line: a new radiographic sign of gluteal muscle contracture
Jin Hua Cai
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400014, China
Pediatr Radiol 35:995-7. 2005
..to the sacroiliac joint (we called it "iliac hyperdense line sign") was frequently observed on pelvic radiographs of patients with gluteal muscle contracture (GMC). A literature search revealed no description of this sign.
- Surgical correction of supination deformity in children with obstetric brachial plexus palsy
Institute de la Main, Paris, France
J Hand Surg Br 27:20-3. 2002
We present a series of 40 children who were operated on for supination contracture following severe obstetric brachial plexus palsy. Surgery was done at an average age of 7 years and the mean postoperative follow-up was 4 years...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor 121 and 165 in the subacromial bursa are involved in shoulder joint contracture in type II diabetics with rotator cuff disease
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai, Isehara, 259 1193 Kanagawa, Japan
J Orthop Res 21:1138-44. 2003
..The present study investigates whether VEGF is also involved in the development of shoulder contracture in diabetics with rotator cuff disease...
- Rotation osteotomy of the humerus for Erb's palsy in children with humeral head deformity
Mohammad M Al-Qattan
Division of Plastic Surgery, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Hand Surg [Am] 27:479-83. 2002
The most common secondary deformity in older children with Erb's birth palsy is internal rotation contracture of the shoulder...
- Myofibroblast upregulators are elevated in joint capsules in posttraumatic contractures
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:85-91. 2007
..A model of surgically induced joint contracture in rabbit knees was developed to study the growth factor expression in joint contractures...
- Management of flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty
Giles R Scuderi
Insall Scott Kelly Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, New York 10021, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:20-4. 2007
Flexion contracture is a common deformity encountered during total knee arthroplasty. Most deformities are mild and can be passively corrected at the time of surgery...
- Distraction correction of chronic flexion contractures of PIP joint: comparison between two distraction rates
Department of Orthopaedics, Upper Limb Unit, University Hospital Lewisham, London, UK
J Hand Surg Am 32:651-6. 2007
..5 mm/day and the other group with 1.0 mm/day. We also compared and evaluated the results of external fixation removal at 1 week versus 2 weeks after full correction...
- Anterior tenoarthrolysis for severe flexion contracture of the fingers (the "TATA" operation): a review of 50 cases
Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria University of Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria and SOS Main Strasbourg, France
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 32:224-9. 2007
..One PIP joint developed septic arthritis immediately after surgery. The benefit of this salvage operation is mainly in the change of the active range of motion to a more functional arc...
- Experimental joint contracture correction with low torque--long duration repeated stretching
Course of Physical Therapy, Department of Health, Tsukuba University of Technology, 4 12 7 Kasuga, Tsukuba, lbaraki 305 0298, Japan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:70-8. 2007
..reduced tension states such as produced by immobilization weaken mechanical properties and facilitate joint contracture. We assessed the effect of low torque-long duration stretching to increase the range of motion (ROM) and to ..
- Arthroscopic release of shoulder contracture secondary to birth palsy: an early report on findings and surgical technique
Michael L Pearl
Center for Medical Education, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Arthroscopy 19:577-82. 2003
..Surgical release of the contracture, with or without latissimus dorsi transfer, is an established treatment through a variety of open methods...
- Prevention of severe contractures might replace multilevel surgery in cerebral palsy: results of a population-based health care programme and new techniques to reduce spasticity
Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Pediatr Orthop B 14:269-73. 2005
..The proportion of children treated with orthopaedic surgery for contracture or skeletal torsion deformity decreased from 40 to 15% (P = 0.0019)...
- Mutations in TNNT3 cause multiple congenital contractures: a second locus for distal arthrogryposis type 2B
Sandy S Sung
Am J Hum Genet 73:212-4. 2003
- Long-term results of surgical management of proximal interphalangeal joint contracture
Sean D Ghidella
Curtis National Hand Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hand Surg [Am] 27:799-805. 2002
..The best surgical candidate is a patient younger than 28 years with a less severe diagnosis and who has preoperative maximum flexion measurement < 43 degrees...
- Comprehensive study of bladder neck contracture after transurethral resection of prostate
Ying Huei Lee
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yung Kang City, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Urology 65:498-503; discussion 503. 2005
..and retrospective study was done to review comprehensively the incidence of, severity of, and risk factors for bladder neck contracture (BNC) in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia who underwent transurethral surgery.
- Recurrence rates of burn contracture ankle equinus and other foot deformities in children treated with Ilizarov fixation
Kelly D Carmichael
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0353, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:523-8. 2005
..In young children, the possibility of having additional surgeries, including repeat Ilizarov procedures, should be discussed. Even older children should expect additional surgeries to prevent recurrent deformities...
- Inter-strain variance in late phase of erythematous reaction or leg contracture after local irradiation among three strains of mice
Frontier Research Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4-9-1 Anagawa, Inage-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba-ken 263-8555, Japan
Cancer Detect Prev 29:376-82. 2005
..CONCLUSIONS: The continuum model of tissue injury revealed that genetic factor, which varies among strains, is one of the causes of variances in severity of damage after irradiation...
- Changes of articular cartilage after immobilization in a rat knee contracture model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Aobaku, Sendai, Japan
J Orthop Res 27:236-42. 2009
..Although we do not know the reversibility of these changes of articular cartilage, early mobilization is preferable to avoid these cartilage changes...
- Arthroscopic release and latissimus dorsi transfer for shoulder internal rotation contractures and glenohumeral deformity secondary to brachial plexus birth palsy
Michael L Pearl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Center for Medical Education, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, 4760 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:564-74. 2006
..We report the results for the first thirty-three children followed for a minimum of two years after such treatment...
- [Scoliosis and hip flexion contracture in Duchenne muscular dystrophy]
Orthopädische Klinik und Poliklinik, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 138:131-5. 2000
..Aim of the study was to analyse, if there is any relation between incidence and extent of walking ability, lower limb contractures and development of scoliosis...
- Intraoperative muscle measurements reveal a relationship between contracture formation and muscle remodeling
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Muscle Nerve 36:47-54. 2007
Children with cerebral palsy often have spasticity of both the extensors and flexors, but how and why a flexion contracture of the wrist will develop during growth is not thoroughly understood...
- An analysis of the causes of bladder neck contracture after open and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
David R Webb
University of Melbourne, Surgery and Urology, Austin Hospital, Australia
BJU Int 103:957-63. 2009
To evaluate the difference in outcome of bladder neck contracture (BNC) and its causes between large groups of patients undergoing open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP).
- Flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty
University Hospitals of the Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:78-82. 2006
We retrospectively evaluated a surgical algorithm for treating flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty using a prospectively collected database of 2898 knees...
- Results of proximal interphalangeal joint release for flexion contractures: midlateral versus palmar incision
Department of Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Malteser Hospital, Bonn, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 24:288-94. 1999
..A midlateral incision was used in 26 fingers. The 2 groups were comparably matched with respect to degree of contracture and demographic characteristics. Active range of motion (ROM) was measured before and after surgery...
- Total knee arthroplasty in patients with greater than 20 degrees flexion contracture
Keith R Berend
Joint Implant Surgeons Inc, Columbus, OH, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:83-7. 2006
Fixed flexion contracture can present a technical challenge in total knee arthroplasty...
- Total collateral ligament excision for contractures of the proximal interphalangeal joint
Department of Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York
J Hand Surg Am 18:395-402. 1993
..This radical surgical approach to contracted proximal interphalangeal joints is justified by the improved range of motion without instability...
- Shoulder contracture and osseous deformity in obstetrical brachial plexus injuries
Agnes F Hoeksma
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Jan van Breeman Institute, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:316-22. 2003
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of and the association between shoulder contracture and osseous deformity in a cohort of children with an obstetrical brachial plexus injury and to identify the risk factors for ..
- Bladder neck contracture after retropubic radical prostatectomy: incidence and risk factors from a large single-surgeon experience
Bradley A Erickson
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
BJU Int 104:1615-9. 2009
..To examine a large, single-surgeon series of patients with prostate cancer who underwent retropubic radical prostatectomy (RRP) for men with postoperative bladder neck contractures (BNCs)...
- Flexion contracture after total knee arthroplasty in a patient with Parkinson's disease: successful treatment with botulinum toxin type A
Steven N Shah
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Arthroplasty 20:1078-80. 2005
..These patients are at increased risk for the development of flexion contracture, which has been shown to significantly worsen functional scores...
- Deltoid contracture: MR imaging features
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo, 160-8582, Japan
Clin Radiol 56:146-9. 2001
AIM: To describe the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) features of deltoid contracture and compare these findings with the operative and histological findings and to determine the utility of MRI for diagnosis and treatment planning...
- Flexion contracture persists if the contracture is more than 15° at 3 months after total knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Arthroplasty 26:639-43. 2011
After total knee arthroplasty, it is common for flexion contracture to exist during the early stages of postoperative course...
- Relation between spasticity, weakness and contracture of the elbow flexors and upper limb activity after stroke: an observational study
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, Australia
Disabil Rehabil 28:891-7. 2006
..The aims of this study were to determine: (i) the relative contribution of weakness and spasticity to contracture, and (ii) the relative contribution of all three impairments to limitations in physical activity during the ..
- Treatment of severely contracted fingers with combined use of cross-finger and side finger transposition flaps
Plastik ve Rekonstruktif Cerrahi Klinigi ve Yanik Unitesi, GATA Haydarpasa Egitim Hastanesi, Selimiye Mahallesi Tibbiye Caddesi, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1709-14. 2005
In the present study, the authors combined use of the cross-finger flap and the side-finger transposition flap to cover the skin and soft-tissue defect created by contracture release of severely contracted fingers.
- Pirfenidone prevents capsular contracture after mammary implantation
Instituto Jalisciense de Cirugía Reconstructiva Dr Jose Guerrerosantos, Guadalajara, Jalisco, 44281, Mexico
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:32-40. 2008
..Mammary implantation, the most frequent aesthetic surgery, may present several complications after surgery such as swelling, capsule contracture, hardness, and pain.
- Distraction with external fixator for contractures of proximal interphalangeal joints: good outcome in 10 cases
Department of Orthopedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Acta Orthop Scand 75:225-8. 2004
..The technique was tested on 10 patients. We found that the fixator is easy to apply and effective in reducing contractures of the PIP joint by soft tissue distraction...
- The use of AlloDerm on major burn patients: AlloDerm prevents post-burn joint contracture
Department of Burn Surgery, Hangang Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Burns 36:322-8. 2010
In efforts to prevent and reduce joint contracture and scar formation after burn, we used the acellular human dermis (AlloDerm) as a dermal replacement in the acute stage...
- One-bone forearm fusion for pediatric supination contracture due to neurologic deficit
A A Wang
University of Utah, Department of Orthopedics, Shriner s Hospital Intermountain Unit, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:611-6. 2001
..We retrospectively evaluated 6 pediatric patients with upper extremity weakness and severe supination contracture who underwent forearm arthrodesis in neutral or slight pronation...
- The role of flexion contracture on outcomes in primary total knee arthroplasty
Merrill A Ritter
The Center for Hip and Knee Surgery, St Francis Hospital, Mooresville, Mooresville, Indiana 46158, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:1092-6. 2007
This study examined the role that flexion contracture plays in postoperative outcomes after total knee arthroplasty using a retrospective database review...
- Changes in dorsal horn neuronal responses in an experimental wrist contracture model
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555-1069, USA
J Orthop Sci 6:46-52. 2001
Joint contracture, a major complication after casting, usually makes the therapeutic outcome worse by causing a limited range of motion and related pain...
- Familial occurrence of typical and severe lethal congenital contractural arachnodactyly caused by missplicing of exon 34 of fibrillin-2
Munroe Center for Human Genetics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 5430, USA
Am J Hum Genet 59:1027-34. 1996
..Analysis of cloned fibroblasts showed that the mother is a somatic mosaic for the exon 34 missplicing mutation, whereas all the daughter's cells harbored the mutation...
- Use of an adipofascial flap based on the proximal perforators of the ulnar artery to correct contracture of elbow burn scars: an anatomic and clinical approach
Hamdy A El-Khatib
Al Azhar University, Cairo University, Egypt
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:130-6. 2002
Different techniques can be used to repair contracture of burn scars on the elbow, including local or distant pedicle flaps, muscle or myocutaneous flaps, free flaps, and tissue expanders...
- Modification of cysteinyl leukotriene receptor expression in capsular contracture: Preliminary results
Giovanni F Nicoletti
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Pharmacology Section, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Ann Plast Surg 58:212-4. 2007
..The pathogenesis of capsular contracture is still unclear, but most reports indicate a multifactorial explanation...
- The use of subcutaneous pedicle rhomboid flap in the treatment of postburn scar contractures
Nilgun Markal Ertas
Ankara Social Security Association Hospital, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 53:235-9. 2004
..To investigate the efficacy and versatility of subcutaneous pedicle rhomboid flap in the treatment of linear or wide postburn scar contractures located in various parts of the body...
- Postburn flexion contractions of the knee
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:2240-1. 2004
- Paediatric upper limb contracture release following burn injury
R C Young
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, SAR
Burns 30:723-8. 2004
..Each method when used appropriately has produced excellent results which have been maintained over the follow-up period...
- Double free flaps harvested from one or two donor sites for one or two-staged burn reconstruction: models of sequential-link and independent-link microanastomoses
Division of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, 252 Wu Hsing Street, Taipei 110, Taiwan
Burns 30:729-38. 2004
- Clinical and basic research on occipito-cervico-dorsal flaps: including a study of the anatomical territories of dorsal trunk vessels
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:1923-33. 2004
..Each anatomical territory was clearly seen and its area identified...
- Trapezius musculocutaneous flap in severe shoulder and neck burn
Department of Plastic Surgery, 15th Khordad Hospital, Shahid Beheshti University, ABAN Avenue, Tehran, Iran
Burns 30:476-80. 2004
..Use of trapezius musculocutaneous flap in the treatment of cicatricial contracture deformity of neck results in satisfactory function and external appearance and is a good method for the repair ..
- 'Double reverse V-Y-plasty in postburn scar contracture: a new modification of V-Y plasty'
Nilgun Markal Ertas
Burns 30:499-500. 2004
- Extended lower trapezius island myocutaneous flap in the repair of postburn axillary contracture
Wael Mohamed Elshaer
Kasr Al-Aini Hospital and University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Plast Reconstr Surg 113:2076-81; discussion 2082-4. 2004
- Rate of elongation provided by multiple subcutaneous pedicle rhomboid flaps-an experimental study in the rat inguinal skin
Nilgun Markal Ertas
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ankara Social Security Association Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Burns 30:467-70. 2004
..To investigate the rate of elongation provided by multiple subcutaneous pedicle rhomboid flaps...
- Distally based lateral supramalleolar adipofascial flap for reconstruction of the dorsum of the foot and ankle
Young Ho Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Soonchunhyang University College of Medicine, Hallym University College of Medicine, and Seoul National University College of Medicine, Bucheon and Seoul, Korea
Plast Reconstr Surg 114:1478-85. 2004
..The cause of the soft-tissue defects involved acute trauma and chronic scar contracture. The flap and the adjoining raw area were covered with a full-thickness skin graft, and the donor site at the ..
- The scar band rotation flap
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Nippon Medical School Hospital, 1 1 5 Sendagi Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8603, Japan
Burns 31:220-2. 2005
..The scar band rotation flap is a subcutaneous pedicled skin island flap consisting of a contracture-causing scar band, the graft surface and normal skin...
- The classification and treatment algorithm for post-burn cervical contractures reconstructed with free flaps
Department of Plastic Surgery, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan
Burns 32:626-33. 2006
..A classification and treatment algorithm aids in achieving significant improvements in range of neck motion while taking into consideration the donor sites...
- Quantification of mentolabial profile using lateral roentgen cephalography and profile reconstruction by mandibular osteotomy in healthy adults and patients with scar contracture following severe facial burns
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Takatsuki Red Cross Hospital, Abuno 1 1 1 Takatsuki city, Osaka 569 1096 Japan
Burns 32:619-25. 2006
..sulcus and eversion of the lower lip were characteristically analyzed, suspecting that the major cause was scar contracture. These statistical data contribute to reconstruction of micrognathia-like deformity after severe facial burn to ..
- A new method in the treatment of postburn scar contractures: double opposing V-Y-Z plasty
Ataturk University, Medical Faculty, Department of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Burns 32:499-503. 2006
..We used a new method called "double opposing V-Y-Z plasty" in this study. This technique is a combination of V-Y plasty with Z plasty in double opposing fashion, both ensuring primary donor site closure...
- Uses of scapular island flap in pediatric axillary burn contractures [correction of conractures]
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vakif Gureba Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Burns 32:885-90. 2006
..We observed that the scapular flap repairs have many benefits to skin grafting including no recurrence of contracture and stable coverage of the shoulder joint...
- Treatment of flexion contractures following burns in extremities
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, 15 Khordad Hospital, South Aban St, Karim Khan Blvd, Tehran 15987, Iran
Burns 32:1017-21. 2006
..Advantages of this combined technique are coverage of joint area with a pretty normal skin flap, and enough scar lengthening due to combination of Y-V advancement and skin grafted released areas...
- Comparison of the rates of elongation provided by multiple smaller rhomboid flaps and larger single rhomboid flap--an experimental study
GATA Haydarpasa Egitim Hastanesi, Plastik Cerrahi Kliniği, Selimiye Mahallesi Tibbiye Caddesi, 34668 Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Burns 32:218-21. 2006
..The rhomboid flap is one of the geometric relaxation techniques used for releasing burn scar contractures...
- Axillary burns: extended grafting and early splinting prevents contractures
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hand Surgery and Burns Unit, Carim Institute, University Hospital Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Burn Care Rehabil 26:539-42. 2005
..A secondary reconstruction was needed in only 5 of the 23 treated axillary burns. For the treatment of axillary burns, we recommend the described grafting technique in combination with early splinting and intensive physiotherapy...
- Microdissection thinning of a pedicled deep inferior epigastric perforator flap for burn scar contracture of the groin: case report
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hallym University Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
J Reconstr Microsurg 21:447-50; discussion 451-2. 2005
A severe burn scar contracture of the groin in a 25-year-old woman was successfully reconstructed with microdissection and thinning of a pedicled deep inferior epigastric perforator (DIEP) flap...
- Treatment of wide scar contracture of antecubital fossa with bipedicle flap from scar tissue
Seyed Esmail Hassanpour
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Department, Shahid Beheshti Medical University, 15 Khordad Hospital, South Aban Avenue, Tehran, Iran
Burns 33:236-40. 2007
Many surgical techniques exist for reconstruction of burn scar contracture of the antecubital fossa, such as Z plasty, VY plasty, lateral arm flap, and medial arm flap...
- Reconstruction of axillary contractures with thoracodorsal perforator island flap
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Kasimpasa Navy Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Burns 31:726-30. 2005
..The donor site scar may be considered as acceptable considering the advantages of the flap. We strongly recommend this flap as the treatment of choice in releasing challenging axillary contractures...
- The multilobed propeller flap method
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Nippon Medical School Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:599-604. 2005
- Figure-of-8 sling for prevention of recurrent axillary contracture after release and skin grafting
Plastic Surgery Clinic, Aman Hospital, Dabgari Gardens, Peshawar, Pakistan
Burns 31:283-9. 2005
The axilla is a frequent site of adduction contracture after deep thermal injury, especially in burns in developing countries where the timely treatment of burns and the prevention of contracture are not possible for lack of appropriate ..
- Combined Iliazarov and free flap for severe recurrent flexion-contracture release
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Israel
J Burn Care Res 27:529-34. 2006
This article discusses the treatment of recurrent flexion-contracture of the knee after circumferential burns involving the entire limb...
- Microsurgical reconstruction in children's burns
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong SAR, China
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:679-92. 2006
..Refinements of inset are described to prevent pin-cushioning and linear scar contracture. In selected cases microsurgical reconstruction can produce life long benefits, with minimal surgical and donor ..
- [Clinical application of scapular flap pedical on lateral descending cutaneous branch of circumflex scapular artery]
Plastic Surgery Hospital, Beijing Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, 100041, P. R. China
Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi 18:187-8. 2004
..CONCLUSION: This flap can be designed to extend to the inframamary fold, the donor-site scar of the flap is well hidden. The design of the flap broadens the application of the scapular flap...
- Expanded scarred or skin-grafted forehead flap for nasal reconstruction in severe postburn facial deformity
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Shanghai 9th People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Ann Plast Surg 61:447-51. 2008
..Expanded scarred forehead flap for nasal reconstruction could obtain a new nose with similar skin color and texture to its adjacent postburn face...
- Reconstruction of the weight-bearing surface of the foot with nonneurosensory free flaps
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Marmara University School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 111:2230-6. 2003
..These results indicate that even if the sensory protection of fasciocutaneous flaps is not considered, these flaps have superior properties, compared with split-skin grafted muscle flaps...
- An evaluation of functional improvement following surgical corrections of severe burn scar contracture in the axilla
Division of Plastic Surgery, Nara Medical University, Shijocho 840, Kashihara, Nara 634 0813, Japan
Burns 29:153-7. 2003
This report present an evaluation 13 consecutive cases of severe burn scar contracture of the axilla and investigates the factors that influence functional improvement...