- Slow, gradual external fixator distraction in acquired ankle and foot contracture
V U E Adiela
Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Niger J Med 15:432-6. 2006
..We here report a case of ankle and foot contracture managed by soft tissue release and slow, gradual external fixator distraction.
- Modulation of wound contracture alpha-smooth muscle actin and multispecific vitronectin receptor integrin alphavbeta3 in the rabbit's experimental model
Cynthia G El Kahi
Department of Human Morphology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Int Wound J 6:214-24. 2009
- Experimental model of knee contracture in extension: its prevention using a sheet made from hyaluronic acid and carboxymethylcellulose
Orthopaedic Department, Jichi Medical School, 3311 1 Yakushiji, Minami Kawachi, Kawachi gun, Tochigi 329 0498, Japan
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 12:545-51. 2004
Treatment once extension contracture of the knee has completed is difficult and costly. The most effective treatment might be the prevention of contracture, especially after joint injury...
- Hamstring contractures in children with spastic cerebral palsy result from a stiffer extracellular matrix and increased in vivo sarcomere length
Lucas R Smith
Departments of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Physiol 589:2625-39. 2011
..Secondary to the UMNl esion,which causes spasticity, is a pathological response by muscle - namely, contracture. However, the elements within muscle that increase passive mechanical stiffness, and therefore result in ..
- Combined stent and artificial urinary sphincter for management of severe recurrent bladder neck contracture and stress incontinence after prostatectomy: a long-term evaluation
D S Elliott
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 165:413-5. 2001
PURPOSE: Concurrent incontinence and severe recurrent bladder neck contracture following radical prostatectomy are difficult to manage...
- Joint contracture following prolonged stay in the intensive care unit
Bone and Joint Laboratory, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 178:691-7. 2008
Prolonged immobility during a critical illness may predispose patients to the development of joint contracture. We sought to document the incidence of, the risk factors for and the reversibility of joint contractures among patients who ..
- The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen fumarate lessens contracture severity and myofibroblast hyperplasia: a study of a rabbit model of posttraumatic joint contractures
Michael J Monument
McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:1468-77. 2010
..We hypothesized that mast cell inhibition after skeletal injury would lessen contracture severity and reduce myofibroblast hyperplasia within the joint capsule.
- Rabbit knee model of post-traumatic joint contractures: the long-term natural history of motion loss and myofibroblasts
Kevin A Hildebrand
Department of Surgery, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
J Orthop Res 22:313-20. 2004
..The average flexion contracture of the experimental knees in the 0-week and 8-week remobilization groups (38 degrees and 33 degrees, ..
- Pilot study of association of bacteria on breast implants with capsular contracture
Jose L del Pozo
Division of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1333-7. 2009
Capsular contracture is the most common and frustrating complication in women who have undergone breast implantation. Its cause and, accordingly, treatment and prevention remain to be elucidated fully...
- Evaluation of a custom device for the treatment of flexion contractures after total knee arthroplasty
Mike S McGrath
Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics, Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, 2401 West Belvedere Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:1485-92. 2009
..The custom knee device may be a useful adjunct to a physical therapy regimen for knee flexion contractures after total knee arthroplasty...
- Increased resistance to hydrogen peroxide-induced cardiac contracture is associated with decreased myocardial oxidative stress in hypothyroid rats
Alex Sander da Rosa Araujo
Physiology Department, Basic Health Sciences Institute at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Cell Biochem Funct 28:38-44. 2010
..of this study was to determine whether decreased oxidative stress would increase the resistance to cardiac contracture induced by H(2)O(2) in hypothyroid rats. Male Wistar rats were divided into two groups: control and hypothyroid...
- Kuskokwim syndrome, a recessive congenital contracture disorder, extends the phenotype of FKBP10 mutations
Aileen M Barnes
Bone and Extracellular Matrix Branch, NICHD NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Hum Mutat 34:1279-88. 2013
..Kuskokwim syndrome (KS) is an autosomal recessive congenital contracture disorder found among Yup'ik Eskimos...
- Accurate measurement of muscle belly length in the motion analysis laboratory: potential for the assessment of contracture
N R Fry
One Small Step Gait Laboratory, Thomas Guy House, Guy s Hospital, SE1 9RT, London, UK
Gait Posture 17:119-24. 2003
..This validated technique could be used to measure muscle lengths in children with spastic cerebral palsy and indicate which muscles had fixed shortening, and to what extent...
- Bacterial biofilms and capsular contracture in patients with breast implants
U M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Br J Surg 100:768-74. 2013
It has been hypothesized that bacterial biofilms on breast implants may cause chronic inflammation leading to capsular contracture. The association between bacterial biofilms of removed implants and capsular contracture was investigated.
- The mast cell stabilizer ketotifen reduces joint capsule fibrosis in a rabbit model of post-traumatic joint contractures
Michael J Monument
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, McCaig Institute for Bone and Joint Health, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1, Canada
Inflamm Res 61:285-92. 2012
..Using a rabbit model of post-traumatic joint contractures, we investigated whether treatment with a mast cell stabilizer after joint injury would lessen the molecular manifestations of joint capsule fibrosis...
- Effect of heat in increasing the range of knee motion after the development of a joint contracture: an experiment with an animal model
Doctoral Program of Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 87:247-53. 2006
To compare the effects of 2 different heat modalities, infrared and ultrasonic therapy, on a knee flexion contracture.
- Critical evaluation of the use of cell cultures for inclusion in clinical trials of patients affected by collagen VI myopathies
CNR National Research Council of Italy, Institute of Molecular Genetics c o IOR, Bologna, Italy
J Cell Physiol 227:2927-35. 2012
- New rabbit knee model of posttraumatic joint contracture: indirect capsular damage induces a severe contracture
Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Orthop Res 27:1028-32. 2009
Reported models of joint contracture fail to result in severe motion loss. Our purpose was to develop a rabbit model of knee contracture and compare it to another well-accepted model to determine if more severe stiffness can be achieved...
- Valosin-containing protein and neurofibromin interact to regulate dendritic spine density
Hsiao Fang Wang
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Invest 121:4820-37. 2011
..The data presented here demonstrate that there is a link between IBMPFD and NF1 and indicate a role for VCP in synapse formation...
- Post-operative drain output as a predictor of bladder neck contracture following radical prostatectomy
Gregory R Hanson
Section of Urology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, C7 URO, 1100 9th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Int Urol Nephrol 40:351-4. 2008
Bladder neck contracture (BNC) following prostatectomy has been reported in 0.5-32% of cases...
- Capsular contracture around saline-filled and textured subcutaneously-placed implants in irradiated and non-irradiated breast cancer patients: five years of monitoring of a prospective trial
Department of Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Solna, Sweden
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:27-34. 2006
..The primary aim of this prospective study was to determine the frequency of capsular contracture in both irradiated and non-irradiated breasts after this operation...
- Intelligent stretching of ankle joints with contracture/spasticity
Li Qun Zhang
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611 USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 10:149-57. 2002
- Another VCP interactor: NF is enough
Conrad C Weihl
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 121:4627-30. 2011
..Thus, aberrant interactions between VCP and NF1 may explain the dementia phenotype and cognitive delay observed in patients with IBMPFD and neurofibromatosis type 1...
- An analysis of the causes of bladder neck contracture after open and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
David R Webb
University of Melbourne, Surgery and Urology, Austin Hospital, Australia
BJU Int 103:957-63. 2009
To evaluate the difference in outcome of bladder neck contracture (BNC) and its causes between large groups of patients undergoing open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP).
- Treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction: early results and complications
Johannes A van der Sluijs
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vrije University Medical Centre, Postbus 70 57, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Orthop B 13:218-24. 2004
In this prospective study of 19 consecutive children, the operative treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction of the humeral head ..
- Circulating substance P levels and shoulder joint contracture after arthroscopic repair of the rotator cuff
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico University, Rome, Italy
Br J Sports Med 42:742-5. 2008
..To determine the plasma levels of substance P (SP) in patients with postoperative stiffness after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair...
- Muscle stretching for treatment and prevention of contracture in people with spinal cord injury
J H Patrick
Spinal Cord 40:421-2; author reply 423. 2002
- Reoxygenation-induced rigor-type contracture
Physiologisches Institut, Justus Liebig Universitat, Aulweg 129, Giessen D 35392, Germany
J Mol Cell Cardiol 35:1481-90. 2003
The hypothesis tested was that reoxygenation-induced contracture of myocardial cells, a form of reperfusion injury, can be due to a rigor-type mechanism. Isolated adult cardiomyocytes were exposed to 30- or 60-min anoxia (pH 6...
- Total knee arthroplasty for rheumatoid knee with bilateral, severe flexion contracture: report of three cases
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kohnan Kakogawa Hospital, 1545 1 Saijo, Kanno cho, Kakogawa, Hyogo, 675 8545, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 18:499-506. 2008
The treatment of patients with severe flexion contracture of the rheumatoid knee, deprived of ambulation for long periods of time, is challenging...
- Management of flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty
Giles R Scuderi
Insall Scott Kelly Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, New York 10021, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:20-4. 2007
Flexion contracture is a common deformity encountered during total knee arthroplasty. Most deformities are mild and can be passively corrected at the time of surgery...
- Clinical and morphological conditions in capsular contracture formed around silicone breast implants
Department of Plastic Surgery, University Hospital Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Plast Reconstr Surg 120:275-84. 2007
..formed around silicone breast implants and their correlation with the clinical classification of capsular contracture defined by the Baker score...
- Bilateral peroneal nerve palsy after simultaneous bilateral total knee arthroplasty. Report of a case with rheumatoid arthritis
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Osmangazi University Faculty of Medicine, Eskisehir, Turkey
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 9:225-7. 2001
..The sensorial deficit was still present on one side at 2 years postoperatively. Preoperative severe flexion contracture and epidural anesthesia were assumed as the risk factors for the development of the nerve palsy in this patient.
- Evaluation of serial casting to correct equinovarus deformity of the ankle after acquired brain injury in adults
Barbara J Singer
Centre for Musculoskeletal Studies, Department of Surgery, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:483-91. 2003
..To determine the potential short-term benefit of serial plaster casting in the management of equinovarus deformity associated with acquired brain injury...
- Halofuginone mediated protection against radiation-induced leg contracture
Radiation Biology Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20892 1002, USA
Int J Oncol 35:315-9. 2009
..The latter, TSP1, a co-activator of TGF-beta may serve as a suitable biomarker for monitoring the efficacy of halofuginone should it be evaluated in a clinical setting for protection against radiation-induced fibrosis...
- The effect of retropatellar fat pad excision on patellar tendon contracture and functional outcomes after total knee arthroplasty
Robert Michael Meneghini
Joint Replacement Surgeons of Indiana Research Foundation USA
J Arthroplasty 22:47-50. 2007
..Regression analysis was performed to determine the effect of excising the fat pad on patellar tendon contracture, range of motion, Knee Society Score, function, and pain scores...
- Capsular contracture - What are the risk factors? A 14 year series of 1400 consecutive augmentations
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University Hospital Birmingham, UK
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 65:213-8. 2012
..We specifically examined the incidence of capsular contracture and the possible causative factors. Follow up ranged from 1 to 16 years...
- No difference between wearing a night splint and standing on a tilt table in preventing ankle contracture early after stroke: a randomised trial
Bankstown Lidcombe Hospital, Bankstown, NSW, 2200, Australia
Aust J Physiother 54:33-8. 2008
Is wearing a night splint as effective as standing on a tilt table in preventing ankle dorsiflexion contracture and promoting the ability to stand up early after stroke?
- Open elbow arthrolysis for post-traumatic elbow contracture
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku Rosai Hospital, Miyagi 981 8563, Japan
Ups J Med Sci 113:95-102. 2008
Post-traumatic contracture is a common complication after elbow trauma. If conservative therapy fails to restore adequate elbow motion, arthrolysis is indicated...
- Cellular, matrix, and growth factor components of the joint capsule are modified early in the process of posttraumatic contracture formation in a rabbit model
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre, Bone and Joint Institute, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Acta Orthop 79:116-25. 2008
..To understand the initiation of the process, we evaluated the cellular, matrix, and growth factor changes in the joint capsule in the early stages of the animal model, which would not be possible in humans...
- Muscle stretching for treatment and prevention of contracture in people with spinal cord injury
L A Harvey
Moorong Spinal Injuries Unit, Royal Rehabilitation Centre, Sydney, Australia
Spinal Cord 40:1-9. 2002
b>Contracture, or reduced joint mobility, is a common and disabling sequel of spinal cord injury. The primary intervention for the treatment and prevention of contracture is regular stretch to soft tissues...
- Structural and biochemical evaluation of the elbow capsule after trauma
Mark S Cohen
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:484-90. 2007
..We compared capsules from 37 patients undergoing surgery for elbow contracture with normal capsules from 7 donors...
- Total knee arthroplasty in patients with greater than 20 degrees flexion contracture
Keith R Berend
Joint Implant Surgeons Inc, Columbus, OH, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:83-7. 2006
Fixed flexion contracture can present a technical challenge in total knee arthroplasty...
- Passive mechanical properties of gastrocnemius muscles of people with ankle contracture after stroke
Li Khim Kwah
George Institute For Global Health, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 93:1185-90. 2012
To investigate the mechanisms of contracture after stroke by comparing passive mechanical properties of gastrocnemius muscle-tendon units, muscle fascicles, and tendons in people with ankle contracture after stroke with control ..
- High rate of joint capsule matrix turnover in chronic human elbow contractures
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 439:228-34. 2005
..The results indicate that joint capsule matrix molecule mRNA levels are altered in the chronic stages of posttraumatic elbow contractures in humans, potentially creating an environment with high matrix turnover rates...
- Flexion contracture persists if the contracture is more than 15° at 3 months after total knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Arthroplasty 26:639-43. 2011
After total knee arthroplasty, it is common for flexion contracture to exist during the early stages of postoperative course...
- Joint capsule matrix turnover in a rabbit model of chronic joint contractures: Correlation with human contractures
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4N1
J Orthop Res 24:1036-43. 2006
..for collagen types I, II, and III, and MMP-1 and -13 were significantly increased in the joint capsules of the contracture knees in all groups when compared to normal and contralateral limb joint capsules...
- Effect of AFO design on walking after stroke: impact of ankle plantar flexion contracture
Sara J Mulroy
Pathokinesiology Laboratory, Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, Downey, California 90242, USA
Prosthet Orthot Int 34:277-92. 2010
..three ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) designs on walking after stroke and determine whether an ankle plantar flexion contracture impacts response to the AFOs...
- Association between plantar fasciitis and isolated contracture of the gastrocnemius
University of Rochester Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Foot Ankle Int 32:5-8. 2011
..This limitation can arise from either an isolated contracture of the gastrocnemius or from a contracture of the gastrocnemius-soleus complex...
- The collagen VI-related myopathies Ullrich congenital muscular dystrophy and Bethlem myopathy
CARSTEN G BONNEMANN
Neuromuscular and Neurogenetic Disorders of Childhood Section, Neurogenetics Branch, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892 3705, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 101:81-96. 2011
..A genetic spectrum is emerging, with BM being caused mostly by dominantly acting mutations, although rarely recessive inheritance of BM is also possible, whereas both dominantly as well as recessively acting mutations underlie UCMD...
- Pre-operative flexion contracture determines the functional outcome of haemophilic arthropathy treated with total knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Haemophilia 18:358-63. 2012
..outcome of TKA in haemophilic patients with specific attention to final range of motion and residual flexion contracture of the joint. Twenty-one consecutive patients were retrospectively reviewed...
- The use of combined lateral and medial releases in the treatment of post-traumatic contracture of the elbow
Clinic of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Tatvan Military Hospital, Bitlis, Turkey
Int Orthop 31:635-8. 2007
..examination) were treated by lateral and medial release at Kocaeli University, for post-traumatic elbow contracture. Preoperative and the postoperative 12-month follow-up measurements were performed...
- Recurrent posterior capsular opacification and capsulorhexis contracture after cataract surgery in myotonic dystrophy
Helen M Garrott
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:653-5. 2004
..Less well known are the phenomena of recurrent posterior capsule opacification and capsulorhexis contracture post cataract surgery...
- Dominant hereditary inclusion-body myopathy gene (IBM3) maps to chromosome region 17p13.1
Department of Clinical Genetics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, S 416 85 Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Hum Genet 64:1420-6. 1999
..This localization raises the possibility that one of the MHC genes clustered in this region may be involved in this disorder...
- Contrasting alterations of apposed and unapposed articular cartilage during joint contracture formation
Bone and Joint Research Laboratory, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:90-7. 2005
To quantify histologic articular cartilage alterations after immobilization, distinguishing between apposed and unapposed sites in an animal model of joint contracture.
- Management of severe extra-articular contracture of the elbow by open arthrolysis and a monolateral hinged external fixator
G S Kulkarni
Postgraduate Institute of Swasthiyog Pratishthan, Miraj, Maharashtra, India
J Bone Joint Surg Br 92:92-7. 2010
..with twin incisions with the use of a monolateral hinged fixator to treat very severe extra-articular contracture of the elbow...
- The epidemiology of major joint contractures: a systematic review of the literature
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ontario, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:22-9. 2007
..We systematically reviewed the literature to identify studies examining the epidemiology of joint contracture regardless of clinical condition...
- Contractures in frail nursing home residents
Laura M Wagner
Kunin Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit at Baycrest, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Geriatr Nurs 29:259-66. 2008
..Almost two thirds of the participants had at least 1 contracture, with the most common locations being the shoulder and knee...
- [Joint contractures in older age. A systematic literature review]
Institut für Pflegewissenschaft, Fakultät für Medizin, Universitat Witten Herdecke, Witten, Deutschland
Z Gerontol Geriatr 43:147-57. 2010
..Contractures lead to additional nursing demands. In Germany, contracture risk assessment and prevention have been recently defined as a quality indicator of nursing home care that ..
- Incidence of ankle contracture after moderate to severe acquired brain injury
Barbara J Singer
Centre for Musculoskeletal Studies, School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1465-9. 2004
To examine an adult population undergoing rehabilitation after brain injury to determine the incidence of ankle contracture and factors contributing to the development of this deformity.
- Gradual joint distraction of post-traumatic flexion contracture of the proximal interphalangeal joint by a mini-external fixator
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Lewisham, High Street, Lewisham, London, SE13 6LH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:206-9. 2007
..148). The use of joint distraction to correct chronic flexion contracture of the proximal interphalangeal joint is a minimally-invasive and effective method of treatment.
- Secondary breast reconstruction with deepithelialized free flaps from the lower abdomen for intractable capsular contracture and maintenance of breast volume
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Quality Control in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Reconstr Microsurg 21:35-41. 2005
..techniques and the quality of mammary prostheses have been improved significantly in recent years, capsular contracture attendant on prosthetic mammary reconstruction remains a major flaw...
- Postburn contracture treatment: a healthcare project in Bangladesh
Amal Chandra Paul
Faridpur City Hospital, Bangladesh
Burns 34:181-4. 2008
..Future actions should be directed to the training of surgeons and the development of specialized hospitals to demonstrate social as well as political commitment to health care programs...
- Should foot surgery be performed for children with Duchenne muscular dystrophy?
Khristinn Kellie Leitch
Hospital for Sick Children and the Bloorview Hugh MacMillan Rehabilitation Centre, Toronto, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop 25:95-7. 2005
..05), pain (P > 0.05), hypersensitivity (P > 0.05), or cosmesis (P > 0.05). Hindfoot motion was significantly better (P > 0.05) but equinus contracture was significantly worse (P > 0.05) in patients who had not had surgery.
- Lethal congenital contracture syndrome (LCCS) and other lethal arthrogryposes in Finland--an epidemiological study
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Biomedicum, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Med Genet A 140:1834-9. 2006
..Thirty-nine cases had lethal congenital contracture syndrome (LCCS) clinically characterized by total immobility of the fetus at all ultrasound examinations (12 ..
- Arthroscopic treatment of internal rotation contracture and glenohumeral dysplasia in children with brachial plexus birth palsy
Scott H Kozin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Temple University and Hand Surgeon, Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:102-10. 2010
..The purpose of the study was to assess the ability of arthroscopic anterior release, +/- tendon transfers to maintain shoulder joint alignment in children with brachial plexus palsy, and to assess their outcome after arthroscopic reduction...
- Contracture preventive positioning of the hemiplegic arm in subacute stroke patients: a pilot randomized controlled trial
L D de Jong
Rehabilitation Centre de Vogellanden, Department of Physiotherapy, PO Box 1057, 8001 BB Zwolle, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 20:656-67. 2006
To investigate the effectiveness of a contracture preventive positioning procedure for the hemiplegic arm in subacute stroke patients in addition to conventional physio- and occupational therapy.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 2-2008. Case 5-2008. An 18-month-old girl with an advanced neck contracture after a burn
Robert L Sheridan
Department of Burn Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 358:729-35. 2008
- Incidence of severe capsular contracture following implant-based immediate breast reconstruction with or without postoperative chest wall radiotherapy using 40 Gray in 15 fractions
Gillian A Whitfield
Oncology Centre, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
Radiother Oncol 90:141-7. 2009
To determine the incidence of capsular contracture (CC) requiring revisional surgery in patients receiving postoperative radiotherapy (RT) or no RT following mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction.
- The sensitivity and specificity of the caffeine-halothane contracture test: a report from the North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry. The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry of MHAUS
G C Allen
The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry, Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033 0850, USA
Anesthesiology 88:579-88. 1998
The caffeine-halothane contracture test (CHCT) is the only recognized laboratory test to diagnose malignant hyperthermia (MH)...
- Arthroscopic release of postoperative capsular contracture of the shoulder
J J Warner
Shoulder Service, Center for Sports Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 1217, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:1151-8. 1997
..When necessary, it can be converted to an open release...
- Percutaneous flexor tenotomy for treatment of neuropathic toe ulceration secondary to toe contracture in persons with diabetes: a systematic review
Thomas S Roukis
Limb Preservation Service, Vascular Endovascular Surgery Service, Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, 9040 A Fitzsimmons Drive, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:684-9. 2009
Percutaneous flexor tenotomy has been proposed for treatment of neuropathic toe ulcerations secondary to toe contracture in persons with diabetes who have failed ongoing local wound care measures due to the perceived safety and efficacy...
- Frequency of the superior rectus muscle overaction/contracture syndrome in unilateral fourth nerve palsy
Hospital Metropolitano, Centro Medico Meditropoli, Av Mariana de Jesus y Nicolas Arteta, Quito, Ecuador
J AAPOS 13:571-4. 2009
..Overaction and contracture of the ipsilateral superior rectus muscle in patients with unilateral fourth (trochlear) nerve palsy is seldom ..
- Hindfoot alignment valgus moment arm increases in adult flatfoot with Achilles tendon contracture
Foot Ankle Int 30:1078-82. 2009
Adult acquired flatfoot is often associated with Achilles tendon contracture and may be associated with isolated spring ligament insufficiency without Achilles tendon contracture...
- High collagen type I and low collagen type III levels in knee joint contracture: an immunohistochemical study with histological correlate
Bone and Joint Research Laboratory, University of Ottawa, Canada
Acta Orthop Scand 73:335-43. 2002
..The higher type I collagen levels in the subintima combined with lower type III suggests that the contracture process is marked by fibrosis, not new tissue proliferation...
- The association between intraoperative correction of Dupuytren's disease and residual postoperative contracture
O W Donaldson
Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, Bristol, UK
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 35:220-3. 2010
The purpose of this study was to determine whether preoperative contracture and the amount of intraoperative correction can be used to predict the postoperative outcome of fasciectomy for Dupuytren's disease...
- Clinical experience of airway management and tracheal intubation under general anesthesia in patients with scar contracture of the neck
Fu Shan Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:989-97. 2008
Because patients with scar contracture of the neck are at a high risk of loss of the airway control after anesthesia induction, awake intubation is usually recommended...
- Scar and contracture: biological principles
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, 2D2 28 WMC, University of Alberta, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2B7, Canada
Hand Clin 25:511-28. 2009
..In this article, the authors review the biology of scar and contracture by focusing on potential causes of abnormal wound healing, including depth of injury, cytokines, cells, the ..
- Pre-expanded pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator flap for postburn axillary contracture reconstruction
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Burn Unit, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Microsurgery 31:26-31. 2011
..In this clinical study, we used pre-expanded pedicled thoracodorsal artery (TDA) perforator flaps for release of postburn contracture of the axillary region.
- Incidence of bladder neck contracture after robot-assisted laparoscopic and open radical prostatectomy
Benjamin N Breyer
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
BJU Int 106:1734-8. 2010
To evaluate the incidence and risk factors for bladder neck contracture (BNC) in men treated with robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) and open radical prostatectomy (ORP), as BNC is a well-described complication of ..
- Poikiloderma, tendon contracture and pulmonary fibrosis: a new autosomal dominant syndrome?
N P Khumalo
Division of Dermatology, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Br J Dermatol 155:1057-61. 2006
..The manifestations in this family differ from other poikilodermata and, to the best of our knowledge, have not been previously documented...
- Overstretching of sarcomeres may not cause cerebral palsy muscle contracture
Mark J C Smeulders
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Suite G4 226, PO Box 22700, Amsterdam 1100 DE, The Netherlands
J Orthop Res 22:1331-5. 2004
To answer the question whether the muscle contracture in patients with cerebral palsy is caused by overstretching of in-series sarcomeres we studied the active and passive force-length relationship of the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle (FCU)..
- Radial nerve palsy after arthroscopic anterior capsular release for degenerative elbow contracture
Jin Young Park
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kunkok Hospital, Konkuk University, School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Arthroscopy 23:1360.e1-3. 2007
..after arthroscopic anterior capsular release using a ball-tipped electrocautery device on a degenerative elbow contracture. We supposed that the electrocautery device caused transiently thermal injury of the radial nerve despite ..
- Complete transection of the median and radial nerves during arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Burns, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
Arthroscopy 15:784-7. 1999
..A few recent reports of small series have described encouraging results after arthroscopic capsular release of post-traumatic elbow contracture, but the present case demonstrates the inherent risk of damage to neurovascular structures.
- Lengthening of subscapularis and transfer of the lower trapezius in the correction of recurrent internal rotation contracture following obstetric brachial plexus palsy
J A Bertelli
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Governador Celso Ramos Hospital, Rua Newton Ramos 70, apto 901, Florianopolis, SC 88015395, Brazil
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:943-8. 2009
An internal rotation contracture is a common complication of obstetric brachial plexus palsy...
- Obstetrical brachial plexus injuries: incidence, natural course and shoulder contracture
A F Hoeksma
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 14:523-6. 2000
..plexus injury (OBPI) was investigated and the natural course of this disorder and the frequency of shoulder contracture described...
- Flap choices to treat complex severe postburn hand contracture
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 58:479-83. 2007
..dorsal ulnar flap for palmar region, cross-finger flap, side finger flap, and combined use of both for flexion contracture of the fingers, and rhomboid flap for web contractures...
- Passive stretching does not enhance outcomes in patients with plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture: a randomized controlled trial
Anne M Moseley
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1118-26. 2005
To compare the efficacy of short- and long-duration passive stretches with a control treatment for the management of plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture.
- Autosomal dominant myopathy with congenital joint contractures, ophthalmoplegia, and rimmed vacuoles
Department of Pediatrics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Ann Neurol 44:242-8. 1998
..These findings suggests that this new disease should be classified as a variant of hereditary inclusion body myopathy...
- Arthroscopic treatment of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Craig M Ball
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:624-9. 2002
..range of motion and patient-reported outcome after complete arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture. Fourteen consecutive patients who underwent elbow arthroscopy and capsular release were reviewed ..
- Improvement in abduction of the shoulder after reconstructive soft-tissue procedures in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 West Holcombe, Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:620-6. 2007
- Effects of splinting on wrist contracture after stroke: a randomized controlled trial
Natasha A Lannin
Rehabilitation Studies Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2112 Australia
Stroke 38:111-6. 2007
Splints are commonly applied to the wrist and hand to prevent and treat contracture after stroke. However, there have been few randomized trials of this intervention...
- Recurrence of subglandular breast implant capsular contracture: anterior versus total capsulectomy
Department of Plastic Surgery at Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorkshire, England
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:792-7. 2000
..study was to determine whether the type of capsulectomy, anterior or total, affects the recurrence of capsular contracture around subglandular silicone-gel breast implants...
- Primary frozen shoulder: global capsular stiffness versus localized contracture
Hans K Uhthoff
Universiy of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:79-84. 2007
..Occurrence of vimentin, a cytocontractile protein known to be present in Dupuytren's contracture and in club-feet, has been reported in resection specimens of anterior capsular structures...
- Glenohumeral deformity in children with internal rotation contractures secondary to brachial plexus birth palsy: intraoperative arthrographic classification
Darissa S Kon
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Radiology 231:791-5. 2004
- The Tardieu Scale differentiates contracture from spasticity whereas the Ashworth Scale is confounded by it
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Sydney, Australia
Clin Rehabil 20:173-82. 2006
..To compare the Tardieu Scale as a clinical measure of spasticity after stroke with the Ashworth Scale...
- Surgical correction of the medial rotation contracture in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 W Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:1638-44. 2007
The medial rotation contracture caused by weak external rotation secondary to obstetric brachial plexus injury leads to deformation of the bones of the shoulder...
- [Scoliosis and hip flexion contracture in Duchenne muscular dystrophy]
Orthopädische Klinik und Poliklinik, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 138:131-5. 2000
..Aim of the study was to analyse, if there is any relation between incidence and extent of walking ability, lower limb contractures and development of scoliosis...
- Anterior tenoarthrolysis for severe flexion contracture of the fingers (the "TATA" operation): a review of 50 cases
Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria University of Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria and SOS Main Strasbourg, France
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 32:224-9. 2007
..One PIP joint developed septic arthritis immediately after surgery. The benefit of this salvage operation is mainly in the change of the active range of motion to a more functional arc...
- Myofibroblast upregulators are elevated in joint capsules in posttraumatic contractures
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:85-91. 2007
..A model of surgically induced joint contracture in rabbit knees was developed to study the growth factor expression in joint contractures...
- Results of proximal interphalangeal joint release for flexion contractures: midlateral versus palmar incision
Department of Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Malteser Hospital, Bonn, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 24:288-94. 1999
..A midlateral incision was used in 26 fingers. The 2 groups were comparably matched with respect to degree of contracture and demographic characteristics. Active range of motion (ROM) was measured before and after surgery...
- Flexion contracture after total knee arthroplasty in a patient with Parkinson's disease: successful treatment with botulinum toxin type A
Steven N Shah
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Arthroplasty 20:1078-80. 2005
..These patients are at increased risk for the development of flexion contracture, which has been shown to significantly worsen functional scores...