- Slow, gradual external fixator distraction in acquired ankle and foot contracture
V U E Adiela
Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Surgery, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital, Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Niger J Med 15:432-6. 2006
..We here report a case of ankle and foot contracture managed by soft tissue release and slow, gradual external fixator distraction.
- Posterior capsular contracture of the shoulder
H Gregory Bach
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Illinois Chicago, 60612, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14:265-77. 2006
Posterior capsular contracture is a common cause of shoulder pain in which the patient presents with restricted internal rotation and reproduction of pain...
- Prevention of severe contractures might replace multilevel surgery in cerebral palsy: results of a population-based health care programme and new techniques to reduce spasticity
Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
J Pediatr Orthop B 14:269-73. 2005
..The proportion of children treated with orthopaedic surgery for contracture or skeletal torsion deformity decreased from 40 to 15% (P = 0.0019)...
- Hamstring contractures in children with spastic cerebral palsy result from a stiffer extracellular matrix and increased in vivo sarcomere length
Lucas R Smith
Departments of Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
J Physiol 589:2625-39. 2011
..Secondary to the UMNl esion,which causes spasticity, is a pathological response by muscle - namely, contracture. However, the elements within muscle that increase passive mechanical stiffness, and therefore result in ..
- Combined stent and artificial urinary sphincter for management of severe recurrent bladder neck contracture and stress incontinence after prostatectomy: a long-term evaluation
D S Elliott
Scott Department of Urology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 165:413-5. 2001
PURPOSE: Concurrent incontinence and severe recurrent bladder neck contracture following radical prostatectomy are difficult to manage...
- Dominant hereditary inclusion-body myopathy gene (IBM3) maps to chromosome region 17p13.1
Department of Clinical Genetics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, S 416 85 Gothenburg, Sweden
Am J Hum Genet 64:1420-6. 1999
..This localization raises the possibility that one of the MHC genes clustered in this region may be involved in this disorder...
- Modulation of wound contracture alpha-smooth muscle actin and multispecific vitronectin receptor integrin alphavbeta3 in the rabbit's experimental model
Cynthia G El Kahi
Department of Human Morphology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
Int Wound J 6:214-24. 2009
- Valosin-containing protein and neurofibromin interact to regulate dendritic spine density
Hsiao Fang Wang
Institute of Molecular Biology, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
J Clin Invest 121:4820-37. 2011
..The data presented here demonstrate that there is a link between IBMPFD and NF1 and indicate a role for VCP in synapse formation...
- Another VCP interactor: NF is enough
Conrad C Weihl
Department of Neurology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Clin Invest 121:4627-30. 2011
..Thus, aberrant interactions between VCP and NF1 may explain the dementia phenotype and cognitive delay observed in patients with IBMPFD and neurofibromatosis type 1...
- Post-operative drain output as a predictor of bladder neck contracture following radical prostatectomy
Gregory R Hanson
Section of Urology, Virginia Mason Medical Center, C7 URO, 1100 9th Ave, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Int Urol Nephrol 40:351-4. 2008
Bladder neck contracture (BNC) following prostatectomy has been reported in 0.5-32% of cases...
- Capsular contracture around saline-filled and textured subcutaneously-placed implants in irradiated and non-irradiated breast cancer patients: five years of monitoring of a prospective trial
Department of Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital, 171 76 Solna, Sweden
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 59:27-34. 2006
..The primary aim of this prospective study was to determine the frequency of capsular contracture in both irradiated and non-irradiated breasts after this operation...
- Intelligent stretching of ankle joints with contracture/spasticity
Li Qun Zhang
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611 USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 10:149-57. 2002
- An analysis of the causes of bladder neck contracture after open and robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
David R Webb
University of Melbourne, Surgery and Urology, Austin Hospital, Australia
BJU Int 103:957-63. 2009
To evaluate the difference in outcome of bladder neck contracture (BNC) and its causes between large groups of patients undergoing open radical prostatectomy (ORP) and robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP).
- Treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction: early results and complications
Johannes A van der Sluijs
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vrije University Medical Centre, Postbus 70 57, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Orthop B 13:218-24. 2004
In this prospective study of 19 consecutive children, the operative treatment of internal rotation contracture of the shoulder in obstetric brachial plexus lesions by subscapular tendon lengthening and open reduction of the humeral head ..
- Circulating substance P levels and shoulder joint contracture after arthroscopic repair of the rotator cuff
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Campus Biomedico University, Rome, Italy
Br J Sports Med 42:742-5. 2008
..To determine the plasma levels of substance P (SP) in patients with postoperative stiffness after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair...
- Contractures in frail nursing home residents
Laura M Wagner
Kunin Lunenfeld Applied Research Unit at Baycrest, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Geriatr Nurs 29:259-66. 2008
..Almost two thirds of the participants had at least 1 contracture, with the most common locations being the shoulder and knee...
- [Joint contractures in older age. A systematic literature review]
Institut für Pflegewissenschaft, Fakultät für Medizin, Universitat Witten Herdecke, Witten, Deutschland
Z Gerontol Geriatr 43:147-57. 2010
..Contractures lead to additional nursing demands. In Germany, contracture risk assessment and prevention have been recently defined as a quality indicator of nursing home care that ..
- The epidemiology of major joint contractures: a systematic review of the literature
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ontario, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:22-9. 2007
..We systematically reviewed the literature to identify studies examining the epidemiology of joint contracture regardless of clinical condition...
- Incidence of severe capsular contracture following implant-based immediate breast reconstruction with or without postoperative chest wall radiotherapy using 40 Gray in 15 fractions
Gillian A Whitfield
Oncology Centre, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cambridge, UK
Radiother Oncol 90:141-7. 2009
To determine the incidence of capsular contracture (CC) requiring revisional surgery in patients receiving postoperative radiotherapy (RT) or no RT following mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction.
- Should foot surgery be performed for children with Duchenne muscular dystrophy?
Khristinn Kellie Leitch
Hospital for Sick Children and the Bloorview Hugh MacMillan Rehabilitation Centre, Toronto, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop 25:95-7. 2005
..05), pain (P > 0.05), hypersensitivity (P > 0.05), or cosmesis (P > 0.05). Hindfoot motion was significantly better (P > 0.05) but equinus contracture was significantly worse (P > 0.05) in patients who had not had surgery.
- Hindfoot alignment valgus moment arm increases in adult flatfoot with Achilles tendon contracture
Foot Ankle Int 30:1078-82. 2009
Adult acquired flatfoot is often associated with Achilles tendon contracture and may be associated with isolated spring ligament insufficiency without Achilles tendon contracture...
- Scar and contracture: biological principles
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Surgery, 2D2 28 WMC, University of Alberta, 8440 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2B7, Canada
Hand Clin 25:511-28. 2009
..In this article, the authors review the biology of scar and contracture by focusing on potential causes of abnormal wound healing, including depth of injury, cytokines, cells, the ..
- High collagen type I and low collagen type III levels in knee joint contracture: an immunohistochemical study with histological correlate
Bone and Joint Research Laboratory, University of Ottawa, Canada
Acta Orthop Scand 73:335-43. 2002
..The higher type I collagen levels in the subintima combined with lower type III suggests that the contracture process is marked by fibrosis, not new tissue proliferation...
- Secondary breast reconstruction with deepithelialized free flaps from the lower abdomen for intractable capsular contracture and maintenance of breast volume
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Ludwig Boltzmann Institute for Quality Control in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
J Reconstr Microsurg 21:35-41. 2005
..techniques and the quality of mammary prostheses have been improved significantly in recent years, capsular contracture attendant on prosthetic mammary reconstruction remains a major flaw...
- Percutaneous flexor tenotomy for treatment of neuropathic toe ulceration secondary to toe contracture in persons with diabetes: a systematic review
Thomas S Roukis
Limb Preservation Service, Vascular Endovascular Surgery Service, Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, 9040 A Fitzsimmons Drive, Tacoma, WA 98431, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:684-9. 2009
Percutaneous flexor tenotomy has been proposed for treatment of neuropathic toe ulcerations secondary to toe contracture in persons with diabetes who have failed ongoing local wound care measures due to the perceived safety and efficacy...
- Arthroscopic treatment of internal rotation contracture and glenohumeral dysplasia in children with brachial plexus birth palsy
Scott H Kozin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Temple University and Hand Surgeon, Shriners Hospital for Children, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:102-10. 2010
..The purpose of the study was to assess the ability of arthroscopic anterior release, +/- tendon transfers to maintain shoulder joint alignment in children with brachial plexus palsy, and to assess their outcome after arthroscopic reduction...
- Pilot study of association of bacteria on breast implants with capsular contracture
Jose L del Pozo
Division of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1333-7. 2009
Capsular contracture is the most common and frustrating complication in women who have undergone breast implantation. Its cause and, accordingly, treatment and prevention remain to be elucidated fully...
- Frequency of the superior rectus muscle overaction/contracture syndrome in unilateral fourth nerve palsy
Hospital Metropolitano, Centro Medico Meditropoli, Av Mariana de Jesus y Nicolas Arteta, Quito, Ecuador
J AAPOS 13:571-4. 2009
..Overaction and contracture of the ipsilateral superior rectus muscle in patients with unilateral fourth (trochlear) nerve palsy is seldom ..
- Gradual joint distraction of post-traumatic flexion contracture of the proximal interphalangeal joint by a mini-external fixator
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Lewisham, High Street, Lewisham, London, SE13 6LH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:206-9. 2007
..148). The use of joint distraction to correct chronic flexion contracture of the proximal interphalangeal joint is a minimally-invasive and effective method of treatment.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 2-2008. Case 5-2008. An 18-month-old girl with an advanced neck contracture after a burn
Robert L Sheridan
Department of Burn Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 358:729-35. 2008
- Bacterial biofilms and capsular contracture in patients with breast implants
U M Rieger
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Br J Surg 100:768-74. 2013
It has been hypothesized that bacterial biofilms on breast implants may cause chronic inflammation leading to capsular contracture. The association between bacterial biofilms of removed implants and capsular contracture was investigated.
- Pre-expanded pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator flap for postburn axillary contracture reconstruction
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Burn Unit, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Microsurgery 31:26-31. 2011
..In this clinical study, we used pre-expanded pedicled thoracodorsal artery (TDA) perforator flaps for release of postburn contracture of the axillary region.
- Clinical experience of airway management and tracheal intubation under general anesthesia in patients with scar contracture of the neck
Fu Shan Xue
Department of Anesthesiology, Plastic Surgery Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:989-97. 2008
Because patients with scar contracture of the neck are at a high risk of loss of the airway control after anesthesia induction, awake intubation is usually recommended...
- Contracture preventive positioning of the hemiplegic arm in subacute stroke patients: a pilot randomized controlled trial
L D de Jong
Rehabilitation Centre de Vogellanden, Department of Physiotherapy, PO Box 1057, 8001 BB Zwolle, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 20:656-67. 2006
To investigate the effectiveness of a contracture preventive positioning procedure for the hemiplegic arm in subacute stroke patients in addition to conventional physio- and occupational therapy.
- Lethal congenital contracture syndrome (LCCS) and other lethal arthrogryposes in Finland--an epidemiological study
Department of Molecular Medicine, National Public Health Institute, Biomedicum, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Med Genet A 140:1834-9. 2006
..Thirty-nine cases had lethal congenital contracture syndrome (LCCS) clinically characterized by total immobility of the fetus at all ultrasound examinations (12 ..
- Postburn contracture treatment: a healthcare project in Bangladesh
Amal Chandra Paul
Faridpur City Hospital, Bangladesh
Burns 34:181-4. 2008
..Future actions should be directed to the training of surgeons and the development of specialized hospitals to demonstrate social as well as political commitment to health care programs...
- Arthroscopic release of postoperative capsular contracture of the shoulder
J J Warner
Shoulder Service, Center for Sports Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213 1217, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:1151-8. 1997
..When necessary, it can be converted to an open release...
- The association between intraoperative correction of Dupuytren's disease and residual postoperative contracture
O W Donaldson
Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust, Bristol, UK
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 35:220-3. 2010
The purpose of this study was to determine whether preoperative contracture and the amount of intraoperative correction can be used to predict the postoperative outcome of fasciectomy for Dupuytren's disease...
- The sensitivity and specificity of the caffeine-halothane contracture test: a report from the North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry. The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry of MHAUS
G C Allen
The North American Malignant Hyperthermia Registry, Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033 0850, USA
Anesthesiology 88:579-88. 1998
The caffeine-halothane contracture test (CHCT) is the only recognized laboratory test to diagnose malignant hyperthermia (MH)...
- Incidence of ankle contracture after moderate to severe acquired brain injury
Barbara J Singer
Centre for Musculoskeletal Studies, School of Surgery and Pathology, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 85:1465-9. 2004
To examine an adult population undergoing rehabilitation after brain injury to determine the incidence of ankle contracture and factors contributing to the development of this deformity.
- Joint contracture following prolonged stay in the intensive care unit
Bone and Joint Laboratory, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont
CMAJ 178:691-7. 2008
Prolonged immobility during a critical illness may predispose patients to the development of joint contracture. We sought to document the incidence of, the risk factors for and the reversibility of joint contractures among patients who ..
- Incidence of bladder neck contracture after robot-assisted laparoscopic and open radical prostatectomy
Benjamin N Breyer
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
BJU Int 106:1734-8. 2010
To evaluate the incidence and risk factors for bladder neck contracture (BNC) in men treated with robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy (RALP) and open radical prostatectomy (ORP), as BNC is a well-described complication of ..
- Increased resistance to hydrogen peroxide-induced cardiac contracture is associated with decreased myocardial oxidative stress in hypothyroid rats
Alex Sander da Rosa Araujo
Physiology Department, Basic Health Sciences Institute at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Cell Biochem Funct 28:38-44. 2010
..of this study was to determine whether decreased oxidative stress would increase the resistance to cardiac contracture induced by H(2)O(2) in hypothyroid rats. Male Wistar rats were divided into two groups: control and hypothyroid...
- Poikiloderma, tendon contracture and pulmonary fibrosis: a new autosomal dominant syndrome?
N P Khumalo
Division of Dermatology, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Br J Dermatol 155:1057-61. 2006
..The manifestations in this family differ from other poikilodermata and, to the best of our knowledge, have not been previously documented...
- Complete transection of the median and radial nerves during arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Department of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery and Burns, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
Arthroscopy 15:784-7. 1999
..A few recent reports of small series have described encouraging results after arthroscopic capsular release of post-traumatic elbow contracture, but the present case demonstrates the inherent risk of damage to neurovascular structures.
- Obstetrical brachial plexus injuries: incidence, natural course and shoulder contracture
A F Hoeksma
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Rehabil 14:523-6. 2000
..plexus injury (OBPI) was investigated and the natural course of this disorder and the frequency of shoulder contracture described...
- Overstretching of sarcomeres may not cause cerebral palsy muscle contracture
Mark J C Smeulders
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Suite G4 226, PO Box 22700, Amsterdam 1100 DE, The Netherlands
J Orthop Res 22:1331-5. 2004
To answer the question whether the muscle contracture in patients with cerebral palsy is caused by overstretching of in-series sarcomeres we studied the active and passive force-length relationship of the flexor carpi ulnaris muscle (FCU)..
- Lengthening of subscapularis and transfer of the lower trapezius in the correction of recurrent internal rotation contracture following obstetric brachial plexus palsy
J A Bertelli
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Governador Celso Ramos Hospital, Rua Newton Ramos 70, apto 901, Florianopolis, SC 88015395, Brazil
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:943-8. 2009
An internal rotation contracture is a common complication of obstetric brachial plexus palsy...
- Radial nerve palsy after arthroscopic anterior capsular release for degenerative elbow contracture
Jin Young Park
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Kunkok Hospital, Konkuk University, School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Arthroscopy 23:1360.e1-3. 2007
..after arthroscopic anterior capsular release using a ball-tipped electrocautery device on a degenerative elbow contracture. We supposed that the electrocautery device caused transiently thermal injury of the radial nerve despite ..
- Flap choices to treat complex severe postburn hand contracture
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Plast Surg 58:479-83. 2007
..dorsal ulnar flap for palmar region, cross-finger flap, side finger flap, and combined use of both for flexion contracture of the fingers, and rhomboid flap for web contractures...
- Passive stretching does not enhance outcomes in patients with plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture: a randomized controlled trial
Anne M Moseley
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, PO Box 170, Lidcombe NSW 1825, Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1118-26. 2005
To compare the efficacy of short- and long-duration passive stretches with a control treatment for the management of plantarflexion contracture after cast immobilization for ankle fracture.
- Autosomal dominant myopathy with congenital joint contractures, ophthalmoplegia, and rimmed vacuoles
Department of Pediatrics, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Ann Neurol 44:242-8. 1998
..These findings suggests that this new disease should be classified as a variant of hereditary inclusion body myopathy...
- Improvement in abduction of the shoulder after reconstructive soft-tissue procedures in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 West Holcombe, Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:620-6. 2007
- Recurrence of subglandular breast implant capsular contracture: anterior versus total capsulectomy
Department of Plastic Surgery at Bradford Royal Infirmary, West Yorkshire, England
Plast Reconstr Surg 106:792-7. 2000
..study was to determine whether the type of capsulectomy, anterior or total, affects the recurrence of capsular contracture around subglandular silicone-gel breast implants...
- Primary frozen shoulder: global capsular stiffness versus localized contracture
Hans K Uhthoff
Universiy of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:79-84. 2007
..Occurrence of vimentin, a cytocontractile protein known to be present in Dupuytren's contracture and in club-feet, has been reported in resection specimens of anterior capsular structures...
- Arthroscopic treatment of post-traumatic elbow contracture
Craig M Ball
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Barnes Jewish Hospital at Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:624-9. 2002
..range of motion and patient-reported outcome after complete arthroscopic release of post-traumatic elbow contracture. Fourteen consecutive patients who underwent elbow arthroscopy and capsular release were reviewed ..
- Effects of splinting on wrist contracture after stroke: a randomized controlled trial
Natasha A Lannin
Rehabilitation Studies Unit, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2112 Australia
Stroke 38:111-6. 2007
Splints are commonly applied to the wrist and hand to prevent and treat contracture after stroke. However, there have been few randomized trials of this intervention...
- The Tardieu Scale differentiates contracture from spasticity whereas the Ashworth Scale is confounded by it
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Sydney, Australia
Clin Rehabil 20:173-82. 2006
..To compare the Tardieu Scale as a clinical measure of spasticity after stroke with the Ashworth Scale...
- Glenohumeral deformity in children with internal rotation contractures secondary to brachial plexus birth palsy: intraoperative arthrographic classification
Darissa S Kon
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Radiology 231:791-5. 2004
- Surgical correction of the medial rotation contracture in obstetric brachial plexus palsy
R K Nath
Texas Nerve and Paralysis Institute, 2201 W Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:1638-44. 2007
The medial rotation contracture caused by weak external rotation secondary to obstetric brachial plexus injury leads to deformation of the bones of the shoulder...
- Arthroscopic release and latissimus dorsi transfer for shoulder internal rotation contractures and glenohumeral deformity secondary to brachial plexus birth palsy
Michael L Pearl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Center for Medical Education, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, 4760 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:564-74. 2006
..We report the results for the first thirty-three children followed for a minimum of two years after such treatment...
- Iliac hyperdense line: a new radiographic sign of gluteal muscle contracture
Jin Hua Cai
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital, Chongqing Medical University, Chongqing 400014, China
Pediatr Radiol 35:995-7. 2005
..parallel to the sacroiliac joint (we called it "iliac hyperdense line sign") was frequently observed on pelvic radiographs of patients with gluteal muscle contracture (GMC). A literature search revealed no description of this sign.
- Flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty
University Hospitals of the Catholic University Leuven, Belgium
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:78-82. 2006
We retrospectively evaluated a surgical algorithm for treating flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty using a prospectively collected database of 2898 knees...
- Myofibroblast upregulators are elevated in joint capsules in posttraumatic contractures
Kevin A Hildebrand
McCaig Centre for Joint Injury and Arthritis Research University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:85-91. 2007
..A model of surgically induced joint contracture in rabbit knees was developed to study the growth factor expression in joint contractures...
- Flexion contracture after total knee arthroplasty in a patient with Parkinson's disease: successful treatment with botulinum toxin type A
Steven N Shah
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Arthroplasty 20:1078-80. 2005
..These patients are at increased risk for the development of flexion contracture, which has been shown to significantly worsen functional scores...
- Total knee arthroplasty in patients with greater than 20 degrees flexion contracture
Keith R Berend
Joint Implant Surgeons Inc, Columbus, OH, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 452:83-7. 2006
Fixed flexion contracture can present a technical challenge in total knee arthroplasty...
- The role of flexion contracture on outcomes in primary total knee arthroplasty
Merrill A Ritter
The Center for Hip and Knee Surgery, St Francis Hospital, Mooresville, Mooresville, Indiana 46158, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:1092-6. 2007
This study examined the role that flexion contracture plays in postoperative outcomes after total knee arthroplasty using a retrospective database review...
- Treatment of severely contracted fingers with combined use of cross-finger and side finger transposition flaps
Plastik ve Rekonstruktif Cerrahi Klinigi ve Yanik Unitesi, GATA Haydarpasa Egitim Hastanesi, Selimiye Mahallesi Tibbiye Caddesi, Uskudar, Istanbul, Turkey
Plast Reconstr Surg 116:1709-14. 2005
In the present study, the authors combined use of the cross-finger flap and the side-finger transposition flap to cover the skin and soft-tissue defect created by contracture release of severely contracted fingers.
- Vascular endothelial growth factor 121 and 165 in the subacromial bursa are involved in shoulder joint contracture in type II diabetics with rotator cuff disease
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai, Isehara, 259 1193 Kanagawa, Japan
J Orthop Res 21:1138-44. 2003
..The present study investigates whether VEGF is also involved in the development of shoulder contracture in diabetics with rotator cuff disease...
- Pirfenidone prevents capsular contracture after mammary implantation
Instituto Jalisciense de Cirugía Reconstructiva Dr Jose Guerrerosantos, Guadalajara, Jalisco, 44281, Mexico
Aesthetic Plast Surg 32:32-40. 2008
..Mammary implantation, the most frequent aesthetic surgery, may present several complications after surgery such as swelling, capsule contracture, hardness, and pain.
- Recurrence rates of burn contracture ankle equinus and other foot deformities in children treated with Ilizarov fixation
Kelly D Carmichael
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0353, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:523-8. 2005
..In young children, the possibility of having additional surgeries, including repeat Ilizarov procedures, should be discussed. Even older children should expect additional surgeries to prevent recurrent deformities...
- Distraction with external fixator for contractures of proximal interphalangeal joints: good outcome in 10 cases
Department of Orthopedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Odense, Denmark
Acta Orthop Scand 75:225-8. 2004
..The technique was tested on 10 patients. We found that the fixator is easy to apply and effective in reducing contractures of the PIP joint by soft tissue distraction...
- Intraoperative muscle measurements reveal a relationship between contracture formation and muscle remodeling
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
Muscle Nerve 36:47-54. 2007
Children with cerebral palsy often have spasticity of both the extensors and flexors, but how and why a flexion contracture of the wrist will develop during growth is not thoroughly understood...
- Thirty minutes of positioning reduces the development of shoulder external rotation contracture after stroke: a randomized controlled trial
School of Physiotherapy, University of Sydney, Australia
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:230-4. 2005
To determine the efficacy of positioning the affected shoulder in flexion and external rotation to prevent contracture shortly after stroke.
- Management of flexion contracture in total knee arthroplasty
Giles R Scuderi
Insall Scott Kelly Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, New York 10021, USA
J Arthroplasty 22:20-4. 2007
Flexion contracture is a common deformity encountered during total knee arthroplasty. Most deformities are mild and can be passively corrected at the time of surgery...
- Experimental joint contracture correction with low torque--long duration repeated stretching
Course of Physical Therapy, Department of Health, Tsukuba University of Technology, 4 12 7 Kasuga, Tsukuba, lbaraki 305 0298, Japan
Clin Orthop Relat Res 456:70-8. 2007
..reduced tension states such as produced by immobilization weaken mechanical properties and facilitate joint contracture. We assessed the effect of low torque-long duration stretching to increase the range of motion (ROM) and to ..
- Inter-strain variance in late phase of erythematous reaction or leg contracture after local irradiation among three strains of mice
Frontier Research Center, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 4 9 1 Anagawa, Inage Ku, Chiba shi, Chiba ken 263 8555, Japan
Cancer Detect Prev 29:376-82. 2005
..To gain insights into inter-strain differences in radiosensitivity...
- Comprehensive study of bladder neck contracture after transurethral resection of prostate
Ying Huei Lee
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, Chi Mei Medical Center, Yung Kang City, Tainan, Taiwan, Republic of China
Urology 65:498-503; discussion 503. 2005
..and retrospective study was done to review comprehensively the incidence of, severity of, and risk factors for bladder neck contracture (BNC) in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia who underwent transurethral surgery.
- Distraction correction of chronic flexion contractures of PIP joint: comparison between two distraction rates
Department of Orthopaedics, Upper Limb Unit, University Hospital Lewisham, London, UK
J Hand Surg Am 32:651-6. 2007
..5 mm/day and the other group with 1.0 mm/day. We also compared and evaluated the results of external fixation removal at 1 week versus 2 weeks after full correction...
- Relation between spasticity, weakness and contracture of the elbow flexors and upper limb activity after stroke: an observational study
School of Physiotherapy, The University of Sydney, Lidcombe, New South Wales, Australia
Disabil Rehabil 28:891-7. 2006
..The aims of this study were to determine: (i) the relative contribution of weakness and spasticity to contracture, and (ii) the relative contribution of all three impairments to limitations in physical activity during the ..
- Anterior tenoarthrolysis for severe flexion contracture of the fingers (the "TATA" operation): a review of 50 cases
Hospital Universitario de Gran Canaria University of Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria and SOS Main Strasbourg, France
J Hand Surg Eur Vol 32:224-9. 2007
..One PIP joint developed septic arthritis immediately after surgery. The benefit of this salvage operation is mainly in the change of the active range of motion to a more functional arc...
- Ocular findings of Beals syndrome
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Ryukyu University, Okinawa 903 0215, Japan
Jpn J Ophthalmol 48:470-4. 2004
..In this report of two Okinawan patients with Beals syndrome and accompanying ocular complications, the symptoms of Beals syndrome and Marfan syndrome are compared. The etiology of these two syndromes is considered in relation to fibrillin...
- The use of AlloDerm on major burn patients: AlloDerm prevents post-burn joint contracture
Department of Burn Surgery, Hangang Sacred Heart Hospital, Hallym University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Burns 36:322-8. 2010
In efforts to prevent and reduce joint contracture and scar formation after burn, we used the acellular human dermis (AlloDerm) as a dermal replacement in the acute stage...
- Changes of articular cartilage after immobilization in a rat knee contracture model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Aobaku, Sendai, Japan
J Orthop Res 27:236-42. 2009
..Although we do not know the reversibility of these changes of articular cartilage, early mobilization is preferable to avoid these cartilage changes...
- Familial occurrence of typical and severe lethal congenital contractural arachnodactyly caused by missplicing of exon 34 of fibrillin-2
Munroe Center for Human Genetics, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha 68198 5430, USA
Am J Hum Genet 59:1027-34. 1996
..Analysis of cloned fibroblasts showed that the mother is a somatic mosaic for the exon 34 missplicing mutation, whereas all the daughter's cells harbored the mutation...
- Shoulder contracture and osseous deformity in obstetrical brachial plexus injuries
Agnes F Hoeksma
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Jan van Breeman Institute, The Netherlands
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:316-22. 2003
The purposes of this study were to determine the prevalence of and the association between shoulder contracture and osseous deformity in a cohort of children with an obstetrical brachial plexus injury and to identify the risk factors for ..
- [Scoliosis and hip flexion contracture in Duchenne muscular dystrophy]
Orthopädische Klinik und Poliklinik, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 138:131-5. 2000
..Aim of the study was to analyse, if there is any relation between incidence and extent of walking ability, lower limb contractures and development of scoliosis...
- Changes in dorsal horn neuronal responses in an experimental wrist contracture model
Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555-1069, USA
J Orthop Sci 6:46-52. 2001
Joint contracture, a major complication after casting, usually makes the therapeutic outcome worse by causing a limited range of motion and related pain...
- Results of proximal interphalangeal joint release for flexion contractures: midlateral versus palmar incision
Department of Hand, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Malteser Hospital, Bonn, Germany
J Hand Surg Am 24:288-94. 1999
..A midlateral incision was used in 26 fingers. The 2 groups were comparably matched with respect to degree of contracture and demographic characteristics. Active range of motion (ROM) was measured before and after surgery...
- One-bone forearm fusion for pediatric supination contracture due to neurologic deficit
A A Wang
University of Utah, Department of Orthopedics, Shriner s Hospital Intermountain Unit, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:611-6. 2001
..We retrospectively evaluated 6 pediatric patients with upper extremity weakness and severe supination contracture who underwent forearm arthrodesis in neutral or slight pronation...
- Deltoid contracture: MR imaging features
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Keio University, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku, Tokyo, 160-8582, Japan
Clin Radiol 56:146-9. 2001
AIM: To describe the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) features of deltoid contracture and compare these findings with the operative and histological findings and to determine the utility of MRI for diagnosis and treatment planning...
- Long-term results of surgical management of proximal interphalangeal joint contracture
Sean D Ghidella
Curtis National Hand Center, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hand Surg Am 27:799-805. 2002
..The best surgical candidate is a patient younger than 28 years with a less severe diagnosis and who has preoperative maximum flexion measurement < 43 degrees...
- Chronic flexion contracture of proximal interphalangeal joint treated with the compass hinge external fixator. A consecutive series of 27 cases
Department of Orthopaedics, Hand Section, Odense University Hospital, Denmark
J Hand Surg Br 27:356-8. 2002
..Complications included superficial pin-track infection in 11 cases and pin loosening in four cases...
- Rotation osteotomy of the humerus for Erb's palsy in children with humeral head deformity
Mohammad M Al-Qattan
Division of Plastic Surgery, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
J Hand Surg Am 27:479-83. 2002
The most common secondary deformity in older children with Erb's birth palsy is internal rotation contracture of the shoulder...
- Operative treatment of elbow contracture in patients twenty-one years of age or younger
Anthony A Stans
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:382-7. 2002
Elbow contracture is a recognized sequela of traumatic and developmental elbow disorders, but little information is available regarding the surgical treatment of elbow stiffness in the pediatric population.
- Bladder neck contracture after retropubic radical prostatectomy: incidence and risk factors from a large single-surgeon experience
Bradley A Erickson
Department of Urology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
BJU Int 104:1615-9. 2009
..To examine a large, single-surgeon series of patients with prostate cancer who underwent retropubic radical prostatectomy (RRP) for men with postoperative bladder neck contractures (BNCs)...
- Arthroscopic release of shoulder contracture secondary to birth palsy: an early report on findings and surgical technique
Michael L Pearl
Center for Medical Education, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
Arthroscopy 19:577-82. 2003
..Surgical release of the contracture, with or without latissimus dorsi transfer, is an established treatment through a variety of open methods...
- Mutations in TNNT3 cause multiple congenital contractures: a second locus for distal arthrogryposis type 2B
Sandy S Sung
Am J Hum Genet 73:212-4. 2003
- Total collateral ligament excision for contractures of the proximal interphalangeal joint
Department of Surgery, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York
J Hand Surg Am 18:395-402. 1993
..This radical surgical approach to contracted proximal interphalangeal joints is justified by the improved range of motion without instability...
- Surgical correction of supination deformity in children with obstetric brachial plexus palsy
Institute de la Main, Paris, France
J Hand Surg Br 27:20-3. 2002
We present a series of 40 children who were operated on for supination contracture following severe obstetric brachial plexus palsy. Surgery was done at an average age of 7 years and the mean postoperative follow-up was 4 years...
- Flexion contracture persists if the contracture is more than 15° at 3 months after total knee arthroplasty
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Arthroplasty 26:639-43. 2011
After total knee arthroplasty, it is common for flexion contracture to exist during the early stages of postoperative course...