- Defining the safe working zones using the minimally invasive lateral retroperitoneal transpsoas approach: an anatomical study
Juan S Uribe
Department of Neurological Surgery, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33606, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 13:260-6. 2010
..The authors undertook this anatomical cadaveric dissection study to define the anatomical safe zones relative to the disc spaces for prevention of nerve injuries during the lateral retroperitoneal transpsoas approach...
- United States trends in lumbar fusion surgery for degenerative conditions
Richard A Deyo
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1441-5; discussion 1446-7. 2005
..Retrospective cohort study using national sample administrative data...
- Surgical complications of posterior lumbar interbody fusion with total facetectomy in 251 patients
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka Rosai Hospital, Osaka, Japan
J Neurosurg Spine 4:304-9. 2006
..The purpose of the present study was to examine rates of intraoperative and postoperative complications of PLIF using a large number of cases with uniform instrumentation and a uniform fusion technique...
- A lasting solution is hard to achieve in primary hydatid disease of the spine: long-term results and an overview
Haci Mustafa Ozdemir
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Meram School of Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:932-7. 2004
..Retrospective evaluation of patients with primary hydatid disease was done, with an overview of the pertinent literature. OBJECTIVES.: To determine the results of surgical decompression and antihelminthic treatment...
- Spinal hydatidosis
Service of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Miguel Servet University Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2439-44. 2005
- Spinal hydatid disease
M Necmettin Pamir
Department of Neurosurgery, Marmara University Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey
Spinal Cord 40:153-60. 2002
..Review article on spinal involvement of hydatid disease...
- Atherosclerosis and disc degeneration/low-back pain--a systematic review
L I Kauppila
Terveystalo Healthcare, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 37:661-70. 2009
..The diminished blood flow could result in various back problems. The aim of this systematic literature review was to assess associations between atherosclerosis and disc degeneration (DD) or low-back pain (LBP)...
- Extreme lateral interbody fusion approach for isolated thoracic and thoracolumbar spine diseases: initial clinical experience and early outcomes
Isaac O Karikari
Division of Neurosurgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 24:368-75. 2011
..Retrospective review of prospective collected data on 22 patients...
- Direct lateral lumbar interbody fusion for degenerative conditions: early complication profile
Reginald Q Knight
Orthopedics International Spine, Kirkland, WA, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 22:34-7. 2009
..Adverse events: new complaints and increasing length of stay limit early mobilization and require consultation with other physicians or reoperation. These formed the focus of the study...
- Radiation exposure during fluoroscopically assisted pedicle screw insertion in the lumbar spine
D P Jones
Christchurch Hospital, New Zealand
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1538-41. 2000
..CONCLUSIONS: The source-superior position is the preferred position for pedicle screw screening if a working space is required. Patient exposure is minimized, and surgeon dose is well within current recommendations...
- Biology of lumbar spine fusion and use of bone graft substitutes: present, future, and next generation
S D Boden
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30033, USA
Tissue Eng 6:383-99. 2000
..This strategy of local gene therapy may provide a basis for the next generation of bone graft substitutes...
- Complications of lateral plating in the minimally invasive lateral transpsoas approach
Tien V Le
Department of Neurosurgery and Brain Repair, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33606, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 16:302-7. 2012
..Three cases of hardware failure and 3 cases of vertebral body (VB) fractures associated with lateral plate placement are reported. The authors also review the literature pertaining to lateral plates and related complications...
- Intervertebral disc degeneration: the role of the mitochondrial pathway in annulus fibrosus cell apoptosis induced by overload
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California 92521 0121, USA
Am J Pathol 164:915-24. 2004
..Our results from human samples, mouse models, and annulus fibrosus culture experiments demonstrate that the mechanical overload-induced IVD degeneration is mediated through the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in IVD cells...
- Recurrent low back pain and early disc degeneration in the young
J J Salminen
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University Hospital of Turku, Finland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1316-21. 1999
- Vertebral endplate signal changes (Modic change): a systematic literature review of prevalence and association with non-specific low back pain
Tue Secher Jensen
The Back Research Center, Lindevej 5, Ringe, Denmark
Eur Spine J 17:1407-22. 2008
..0 to 19.9. This systematic review shows that VESC is a common MRI-finding in patients with non-specific LBP and is associated with pain. However, it should be noted that VESC may be present in individuals without LBP...
- Vascular injury in anterior lumbar surgery
J K Baker
Center for Spinal Disorders, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:2227-30. 1993
..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Health-related quality of life assessment by the EuroQol-5D can provide cost-utility data in the field of low-back surgery
Tore K Solberg
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of North Norway, 9038, Tromsø, Norway
Eur Spine J 14:1000-7. 2005
..Our results indicate that the EQ-5D is useful for estimating health state values and for monitoring outcome of patients undergoing low-back surgery. Hence, this instrument would provide valid data for cost-utility analyses...
- Complications of posterior cervical plating
J G Heller
Department of Orthopaedics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2442-8. 1995
..This study finds the risk of lateral mass screw insertion to be considerably less than predicted in vitro. The present study reports other complications that were not predicted in laboratory studies...
- Adjacent segment degeneration in the lumbar spine
Denver Spine Center, 1601 East 19th Avenue, Suite 4000, Denver, CO 80218, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:1497-503. 2004
..A retrospective investigation was performed to determine the rates of degeneration and survival of the motion segments adjacent to the site of a posterior lumbar fusion...
- Systematic review of randomized trials comparing lumbar fusion surgery to nonoperative care for treatment of chronic back pain
Sohail K Mirza
Center for Cost and Outcomes Research, and Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:816-23. 2007
..Systematic review of randomized trials comparing surgical to nonsurgical treatment of discogenic back pain...
- Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells in a canine disc degeneration model
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Surgical Science, Tokai University School of Medicine, Bohseidai, Isehara, Kanagawa, 259 1193, Japan
J Orthop Res 26:589-600. 2008
..The results of this study suggest that MSC transplantation may contribute to the maintenance of IVD immune privilege by the differentiation of transplanted MSCs into cells expressing FasL...
- Association between the -1562 C/T polymorphism of matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene and lumbar disc disease in the young adult population in North China
Zheng ming Sun
Department of Orthopaedics of the First Affiliated Hospital, Medical School, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an, China
Connect Tissue Res 50:181-5. 2009
..These results indicated that the -1562C/T polymorphism of the MMP-9 gene is associated with a high risk of degenerative disc disease in the young adult population in North China...
- Aggressive "benign" primary spine neoplasms: osteoblastoma, aneurysmal bone cyst, and giant cell tumor
James S Harrop
Department of Neurological Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:S39-47. 2009
..Clinically based systematic review...
- Modern surgical treatment of primary aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine in children and adolescents
Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:387-92. 2005
..The four-step approach to treatment of ABC of the spine with appropriate spinal instrumentation and fusion is recommended for successful treatment of this aggressive lesion...
- Primary hydatid disease of the spine: an unusual cause of progressive paraplegia. Case report and review of the literature
S Y Bhojraj
P D Hinduja National Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Mahim, Mumbai, India
J Neurosurg 91:216-8. 1999
..Advanced imaging studies should be performed to diagnose the disease. Early decompressive surgery with stabilization of the spine, in addition to adjuvant chemotherapy, is the treatment of choice for these patients...
- Multiple intradural spinal hydatid disease: a case report and review of literature
Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital for Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:E346-50. 2009
..A case report...
- Clinical outcomes of 3 fusion methods through the posterior approach in the lumbar spine
Ki Tack Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1351-7; discussion 1358. 2006
..This prospective randomized study compared 3 fusion methods: posterolateral fusion (PLF), posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF), and PLIF combined with PLF (PLF+PLIF)...
- The value of fat saturation sequences and contrast medium administration in MRI of degenerative disease of the posterior/perispinal elements of the lumbosacral spine
Department of Neuroradiology, San Paolo Hospital, Bari, Italy
Eur Radiol 17:523-31. 2007
- Postsurgical spinal magnetic resonance imaging with iterative decomposition of water and fat with echo asymmetry and least-squares estimation
Department of Radiology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Comput Assist Tomogr 35:16-20. 2011
..Here, we compared postsurgical spinal MRI with IDEAL versus chemical shift selective saturation (CHESS)...
- Classification of age-related changes in lumbar intervertebral discs: 2002 Volvo Award in basic science
Orthopaedic University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2631-44. 2002
..A histologic study on age-related changes of the human lumbar intervertebral disc was conducted...
- Major complications in revision adult deformity surgery: risk factors and clinical outcomes with 2- to 7-year follow-up
Samuel K Cho
Department of Orthopaedics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:489-500. 2012
..Retrospective cohort comparative study...
- Vascular injury in elective anterior lumbosacral surgery
Kirkham B Wood
Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Orthopaedics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S66-75. 2010
- Obesity and spine surgery: relation to perioperative complications
Department of Neurosurgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 6:291-7. 2007
..The authors retrospectively assessed the prevalence of obesity in a cohort of patients undergoing thoracic and lumbar fusion and correlate the presence of obesity with the incidence of operative complications...
- Echinococcal infection of the spine with neural involvement
R W Charles
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Natal, Durban, Republic of South Africa
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 13:47-9. 1988
..Three were treated by anterior spinal decompression and all four were treated with mebendazole. The results show good neural recovery and it is concluded that the prognosis is not as dismal as it was formerly thought to be...
- Polymethylmethacrylate augmentation of pedicle screw for osteoporotic spinal surgery: a novel technique
Ming Chau Chang
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E317-24. 2008
A retrospective study to evaluate the clinical results of patients with osteoporosis and various spinal diseases treated surgically with polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) augmented pedicle screw.
- Correlation of diffusion in lumbar intervertebral disks with occlusion of lumbar arteries: a study in adult volunteers
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Oulu University Hospital, Kajaanintie 50, 90220 Oulu, Finland
Radiology 221:779-86. 2001
..To evaluate the correlation of the diffusion values in lumbar intervertebral disks with lumbar artery status and the degree of disk degeneration...
- Disseminated intraspinal hydatid disease
Department of Radiology, Hazrat Rasoul Hospital, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Niyayesh Street, Sattar Khan Avenue, Tehran, Iran
J Neurosurg Spine 8:490-3. 2008
..Early diagnosis, proper utilization of MR imaging, and radical resection of diseased vertebrae and soft tissues followed by anthelmintic treatment are essential to control disseminated spinal hydatidosis and prevent recurrence...
- ISSLS prize winner: repeated disc injury causes persistent inflammation
Jill A Ulrich
Orthopaedic Bioengineering Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California at San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0514, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2812-9. 2007
..An in vivo rat model of disc degeneration with emphasis on characterizing acute and chronic cytokine production...
- Compression-induced degeneration of the intervertebral disc: an in vivo mouse model and finite-element study
J C Lotz
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of California, San Francisco, California, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:2493-506. 1998
- Compensatory spinopelvic balance over the hip axis and better reliability in measuring lordosis to the pelvic radius on standing lateral radiographs of adult volunteers and patients
R P Jackson
Spine Surgery Service, North Kansas City Hospital, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1750-67. 1998
..Understanding the common and characteristically different compensations that occur with balance in these patients who had specific spinal disorders may help to improve their care...
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the mobile spine: report on 41 cases
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Maggiore Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:27-35. 2001
..Forty-one cases of aneurysmal bone cyst of the mobile spine were retrospectively reviewed...
- Diagnostic imaging practice guidelines for musculoskeletal complaints in adults-an evidence-based approach-part 3: spinal disorders
André E Bussières
Chiropractic Department, Universite du Quebec a Trois Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 31:33-88. 2008
..To develop evidence-based diagnostic imaging practice guidelines to assist chiropractors and other primary care providers in decision making for the appropriate use of diagnostic imaging for spinal disorders...
- The internal mechanical properties of cervical intervertebral discs as revealed by stress profilometry
Daniel M Skrzypiec
Section of Biomechanics, Hamburg University of Technology, Hamburg, Germany
Eur Spine J 16:1701-9. 2007
..This may be attributable to their fibrous texture. The small radial diameter of the cervical posterior annulus may facilitate buckling and thereby prevent it from sustaining high compressive stresses...
- Diagnostic evaluation of low back pain with emphasis on imaging
Jeffrey G Jarvik
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:586-97. 2002
..To review evidence on the diagnostic accuracy of clinical information and imaging for patients with low back pain in primary care settings...
- Expression of chondrocyte markers by cells of normal and degenerate intervertebral discs
J I Sive
Musculoskeletal Research Group, University of Manchester, Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Mol Pathol 55:91-7. 2002
..To investigate the phenotype of cells in normal and degenerate intervertebral discs by studying the expression of molecules characteristic of chondrocytes in situ...
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of spine: a review of literature
Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Surgery, Gabriele d Annunzio University, Chieti Scalo, Italy
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:1145-7. 2008
..Children and young adults are most affected by spinal ABCs. We document a review of literature...
- Posterior cervical arthrodesis and stabilization with a lateral mass plate. Clinical and computed tomographic evaluation of lateral mass screw placement and associated complications
A W Graham
Florida Fellowship in Reconstructive Spinal Surgery, Gainesville, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:323-8; discussion 329. 1996
..Radicular symptoms improved with screw removal in each case. The advantages of segmental fixation achieved with lateral mass plates and screws must be weighed against the risk of radiculopathy...
- Dynesys fixation for lumbar spine degeneration
Department of Surgery, Neurosurgery, Kantonsspital Winterthur, Brauerstrasse 15, 8401 Winterthur, Switzerland
Neurosurg Rev 31:189-96. 2008
..Outcome data were not superior to conventional rigid fusion systems and had a considerable number of complications requiring revision surgery in 27.5% of cases...
- Lumbar spine fusion in obese and morbidly obese patients
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Detroit Receiving Hospital and University Health Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:495-500. 2009
..Single-center retrospective study...
- 4- and 5-level anterior fusions of the cervical spine: review of literature and clinical results
German Scoliosis Center, Bad Wildungen, Hessen, Germany
Eur Spine J 16:2055-71. 2007
..The discussion of our results are accompanied by a detailed review of literature, shedding light on the biomechanical challenges in multilevel cervical procedures and suggests conclusions...
- Complications related to osteobiologics use in spine surgery: a systematic review
Thomas E Mroz
Neurological Institute, Center for Spine Health, Departments of Orthopaedic and Neurological Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:S86-104. 2010
- Multilevel cervical fusion without plates, screws or autogenous iliac crest bone graft
Mehmet Nusret Demircan
GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 14:723-8. 2007
- A population-based study of spinal pain among 35-45-year-old individuals. Prevalence, sick leave, and health care use
S J Linton
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Orebro Medical Center, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1457-63. 1998
..Gender differences exist in the pattern of sick leave and health care use, and a small proportion of those with pain consume very large amounts of the resources. Consequently, there is a need for early, effective, preventive treatments...
- Echinococcosis--a rare spinal disorder
John R Ouma
Johannesburg General Hospital and the University of the Witwatersrand
S Afr Med J 96:680, 682. 2006
- Spinal hydatidosis accompanied by a secondary infection. Case report
Departments of Neurosurgery, Haseki Educational and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Neurosurg Spine 6:585-90. 2007
..Antihelminthic treatment should be administered for a long period following early decompressive surgery and adequate stabilization...
- [Echinococcosis located at spinal canal and vertebrae]
Arch Pediatr 11:1510-1. 2004
- Hydatid disease of the spine: case report
R T Kuremu
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Health Sciences, Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya
East Afr Med J 79:165-6. 2002
..The patient was treated with albendazole resulting in significant improvement within eight weeks. Investigations and treatment modalities are discussed...
- Surgical outcome of drop foot caused by degenerative lumbar diseases
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka Koseinenkin Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E262-6. 2007
..A total of 46 patients undergoing lumbar spine surgery for degenerative lumbar disease and presenting with drop foot were included in this retrospective study...
- Biochemistry of the intervertebral disc
T R Oegema
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55455
Clin Sports Med 12:419-39. 1993
..In comparison to other tissues, understanding the disc biochemistry is only in the very early stage. The few facts that are known would point to strategies for interventions to alter disc biology and maintain disc biomechanics...
- Differential diagnosis of dumbbell lesions associated with spinal neural foraminal widening: imaging features
Ali Sami Kivrak
Selcuk University, Department of Radiology, Konya 42080, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 71:29-41. 2009
..In this article, we discuss CT and MRI findings of dumbbell lesions which are causes of neural foraminal widening...
- Medical decompression of vertebral hydatidosis
K S Lam
Centre for Spinal Studies, Unviersity Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2050-5. 1997
..CONCLUSION: The combination of albendazole and praziquantel drug therapy appears to be effective in the conservative treatment of patients with inoperable spinal hydatidosis...
- Treatment of progressive cervical spinal instability secondary to hydatid disease. A case report
T M Keller
Pacific Neurosciences Institute, Department of Surgery, University of California, Davis, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:915-9. 1997
- Dumbbell hydatid cyst of the spine: case report and review of the literature
T A Hamdan
Basrah Spinal Unit, Medical College, Basrah, Iraq
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:1296-9. 2000
..CONCLUSION: Extra spinal hydatidosis may lead to spinal cord compression by extension through the intervertebral foramen. The possibility of cure is high when there is no bony involvement...
- Multiple, primary spinal-paraspinal hydatid cysts
R N Sener
Department of Radiology, Ege University Hospital, Bornova, 35100 Izmir, Turkey
Eur Radiol 11:2314-6. 2001
- 'Rumours of my death may have been greatly exaggerated': a brief review of cell death in human intervertebral disc disease and implications for cell transplantation therapy
W E B Johnson
Centre for Spinal Studies, Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry, Shropshire SY10 7AG, UK
Biochem Soc Trans 35:680-2. 2007
- Hydatid disease of the spine: a report on nine patients
Thamer A Hamdan
Orthopaedic Surgery, Dean Basrah Medical College, Basrah, Iraq
Int Orthop 36:427-32. 2012
..The author presents this prospective study of nine cases of pathologically confirmed spinal hydatid disease...
- Case report: clinical and serological evaluation of echinococcosis of the spine
Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:567-9. 2003
..In spite of long-term chemotherapeutic treatment combined with surgery, no eradication of the disease was achieved...
- [Vertebral hydatidosis: medical imaging and management. A case report]
L Abdelmoula Cheikhrouhou
Service de Rhumatologie, Hopital Charles Nicolle, Tunis, Tunisie
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:114-7. 2005
..We stress on the difficulties of the care management of this disease and its poor prognosis because of the risk of neurological damages and frequent recurrences...
- Association of a COL1A1 polymorphism with lumbar disc disease in young military recruits
J Med Genet 42:e44. 2005
..COL1A1, however, has not been studied in young patients with LDD; COL1A1 polymorphisms have been associated with bone mineral density (BMD) in several populations and with LDD in older adults...
- Intervertebral disk hydatid cysts: MR imaging findings
Apostolos H Karantanas
General Hospital Larissa, 411 10 Greece
AJR Am J Roentgenol 180:1739-40. 2003
- Hydatid cyst of the craniocervical junction: case report
Kartal Dr Lutfi Kirdar Research and Training Hospital, 2nd Neurosurgery Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
Neurosurgery 57:E193; discussion E193. 2005
..In this report, a case of hydatid disease involving the craniocervical junction is presented, along with a review of the literature...
- Posterior decompression of spinal hydatidosis: long term results: Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
Southend Hospital, Prittlewell Chase, Westcliff on Sea, SS0 0RY, Essex, UK
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 105:209-14. 2003
..The long-term results were very poor, with high rates of mortality, localised and extra-vertebral recurrence, significant neurological deficits, spino-cutaneous fistulae, spinal instability and pain...
- Recovery of ankle dorsiflexion weakness following lumbar decompressive surgery
Department of Neurosurgery, John Hunter Hospital and University of Newcastle, New Lambton, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 16:1024-7. 2009
..Only small improvements take place beyond 6 weeks following surgery. The degree of deficit at presentation is predictive of the extent of recovery. Recovery in ADF strength is more evident in younger patients...
- Orthopaedic manifestations of congenital myotonic dystrophy during childhood and adolescence
Department of Orthopedics, Shriners Hospital for Children, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 29:208-13. 2009
..The goal of the study was to identify and quantitate the musculoskeletal deformities which may significantly affect the function of children with CMD...
- Lumbar fusion outcomes stratified by specific diagnostic indication
Steven D Glassman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Spine J 9:13-21. 2009
..Diagnostic specificity beyond the symptom of low back pain or the presence of lumbar degeneration needs to be delineated such that outcomes data can be effectively translated into clinical decision making or evidence-based guidelines...
- Hydatid disease of the lumbar spine: combined surgical and medical treatment--a case report
Khaled M Emara
Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 36:E12-4. 2007
- Clinical results of posterolateral fusion for degenerative lumbar spinal diseases: a follow-up study of more than 10 years
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Miyazaki Medical College, 5200 Kihara, Kiyotake, Miyazaki 889 1692, Japan
J Orthop Sci 7:317-24. 2002
..involved 35 cases (37 intervertebral levels) of posterolateral fusion performed to treat degenerative lumbar spinal diseases. There were 20 male and 15 female patients ranging in age from 30 to 67 years, with a mean age of 49 years...
- Radical cure of vertebral hydatidosis. A case report
Kassab Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery, Manouba, Tunisia
Acta Orthop Belg 70:80-3. 2004
..A two-staged anterior and posterior approach, although difficult, seems to offer a very good prognosis in case of univertebral localisation...
- Diagnostic pitfalls of spinal echinococcosis
Department of Orthopaedics, the First Affiliated Hospital of Xinjiang Medical University, Urumqi, Xinjiang Province, China
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:180-5. 2007
..The lesion was located in the cervical vertebrae in 3, the thoracic vertebrae in 11, the lumbar vertebrae in 5, and the sacrum in 6 cases...
- Outcome assessments in the evaluation of treatment of spinal disorders: summary and general recommendations
Institute for Work and Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:3100-3. 2000
..In addition to the five recommended domains, preference-based health outcome measures, including patients utilities, may be useful when there is a need to value alternative health outcomes...
- Hydatid cysts in uncommon locations in the same patient: simultaneous cardiac and spinal involvement
Bakirkoy Psychiatric and Neurological Diseases Hospital, 2nd Neurosurgery Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 51:234-6. 2008
..Spinal and cardiac hydatid cases separately constitute only 0.5-1% of all hydatid cases. We reported a case with spinal and cardiac involvement simultaneously. Clinical and radiological findings of this unique case are discussed...
- [Intraspinal echinococcosis within the lumbar spine of an 18-year-old male patient]
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik der RWTH Aachen
Z Orthop Unfall 146:463-7. 2008
..The diagnostic and specific therapeutic consequences of this very seldom entity are discussed based on a case report...
- Hydatid disease drug therapy primarily to reconstruction of a multilevel thoracolumbar vertebral lesion
Service de Chirurgie Orthopedique et Traumatologique, Hopital Beaujon, 100, boulevard du General Leclerc, 92110 Clichy, France
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 97:766-9. 2011
- Genetic risk factors for lumbar disc disease
Department of Medical Biochemistry, University of Oulu, Finland
Ann Med 34:42-7. 2002
..In addition, disc degeneration has been shown to be related to an aggrecan gene polymorphism, a vitamin D receptor and matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene alleles...
- Advanced imaging of the spine in small animals
Ronaldo C da Costa
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, The Ohio State University, 601 Vernon L Tharp Street, Columbus, OH 43210 1089, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 40:765-90. 2010
..The CT and MRI features of common spinal diseases are discussed and illustrated...
- Factors associated with good outcome using lateral mass plate fixation
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, University of Crete, Medical School Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Orthopedics 27:1080-6. 2004
- The prevalence of and specific risk factors for venous thromboembolic disease following elective spine surgery
Jason M Sansone
Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:304-13. 2010
..We sought to investigate the prevalence of thromboembolism as well as the efficacy and complications of various prophylactic measures in a population of patients who had undergone elective spine surgery...
- Radiographic anomalies that may alter chiropractic intervention strategies found in a New Zealand population
J Manipulative Physiol Ther 28:375; author reply 375-6. 2005
- MR imaging evaluation of the bone marrow and marrow infiltrative disorders of the lumbar spine
Department of Radiology, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, London, UK, HA7 4LP
Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am 15:199-219, vi. 2007
..The appearances of infiltrative marrow disease are explained on the basis of marrow composition and whether disease causes proliferation, replacement, or depletion of normal marrow components...
- Outcome of pedicle subtraction osteotomies for fixed sagittal imbalance of multiple etiologies: a retrospective review of 140 patients
Ki Tack Kim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1667-75. 2012
..A retrospective study...
- Aneurysmal bone cyst of the cervical spine (2008:7b)
Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, BG Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Ruhr University Bochum, Buerkle de la Camp Platz 1, 44789 Bochum, Germany
Eur Radiol 18:2356-60. 2008
..The typical macroscopic and histological findings were present. The tumor was resected en bloc, after which the patient underwent adjuvant radiation therapy. The patient made a complete recovery...
- Retrograde ejaculation after anterior lumbar spine surgery
Emily M Lindley
Department of Orthopaedics, The Spine Center, University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus, Denver, CO, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1785-9. 2012
..A retrospective cohort study...
- Cutting-edge imaging of the spine
A Talia Vertinsky
Stanford University, Department of Radiology, Lucas Center, PS08, 1201 Welch Road, Stanford, CA 94305 5488, USA
Neuroimaging Clin N Am 17:117-36. 2007
..These new "cutting-edge" technologies have the potential to impact profoundly the ease and confidence of spinal disease interpretation and offer a more efficient diagnostic workup of patients suffering from spinal disease...
- T1- and T2-weighted fast spin-echo imaging of the brachial plexus and cervical spine with IDEAL water-fat separation
Scott B Reeder
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53792 3252, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 24:825-32. 2006
- Influence of smoking on the health status of spinal patients: the National Spine Network database
Molly T Vogt
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:313-9. 2002
..Multicenter, cross-sectional analysis of data from the National Spine Network...
- Spinal aneurysmal bone cyst causing acute cord compression without vertebral collapse: CT and MRI findings
Monica S M Chan
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tuen Mun Hospital, Tsing Chung Koon Road, Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong
Pediatr Radiol 32:601-4. 2002
..This case illustrates a less frequently recognised mechanism of acute spinal cord compression by ABC...
- An evidence-based clinical guideline for the use of antithrombotic therapies in spine surgery
Christopher M Bono
North American Spine Society
Spine J 9:1046-51. 2009
..The goal of the guideline recommendations was to assist in delivering optimum, efficacious treatment with the goal of preventing thromboembolic events...
- Lateral mass screw-rod fixation of the cervical spine: a prospective clinical series with 1-year follow-up
H Gordon Deen
Department of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Spine J 3:489-95. 2003
- The characteristics of patient satisfaction measures
P L Hudak
Institute for Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:3167-77. 2000
- Symptomatic intraspinal pneumocoele resulting from closed head injury
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:248-9. 2003
..Intraspinal pneumocoele is rarely associated with closed head injury. We describe a case of intra-spinal pneumocoele following a closed head injury. We believe this to be the first case presenting with radicular symptoms...
- Obesity and spine surgery: reassessment based on a prospective evaluation of perioperative complications in elective degenerative thoracolumbar procedures
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine J 10:581-7. 2010
..The correlation between obesity and incidence of complications in spine surgery is unclear, with some reports suggesting linear relationships between body mass index (BMI) and complication incidence and others noting no relationship...