- Complications of posterior cervical plating
J G Heller
Department of Orthopaedics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2442-8. 1995
..This study finds the risk of lateral mass screw insertion to be considerably less than predicted in vitro. The present study reports other complications that were not predicted in laboratory studies...
- Health-related quality of life assessment by the EuroQol-5D can provide cost-utility data in the field of low-back surgery
Tore K Solberg
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of North Norway, 9038, Tromsø, Norway
Eur Spine J 14:1000-7. 2005
..Our results indicate that the EQ-5D is useful for estimating health state values and for monitoring outcome of patients undergoing low-back surgery. Hence, this instrument would provide valid data for cost-utility analyses...
- Obesity and spine surgery: relation to perioperative complications
Department of Neurosurgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 6:291-7. 2007
..The authors retrospectively assessed the prevalence of obesity in a cohort of patients undergoing thoracic and lumbar fusion and correlate the presence of obesity with the incidence of operative complications...
- A population-based study of spinal pain among 35-45-year-old individuals. Prevalence, sick leave, and health care use
S J Linton
Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Orebro Medical Center, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1457-63. 1998
..Gender differences exist in the pattern of sick leave and health care use, and a small proportion of those with pain consume very large amounts of the resources. Consequently, there is a need for early, effective, preventive treatments...
- Adjacent segment degeneration in the lumbar spine
Denver Spine Center, 1601 East 19th Avenue, Suite 4000, Denver, CO 80218, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:1497-503. 2004
..A retrospective investigation was performed to determine the rates of degeneration and survival of the motion segments adjacent to the site of a posterior lumbar fusion...
- Vertebral endplate signal changes (Modic change): a systematic literature review of prevalence and association with non-specific low back pain
Tue Secher Jensen
The Back Research Center, Lindevej 5, Ringe, Denmark
Eur Spine J 17:1407-22. 2008
..0 to 19.9. This systematic review shows that VESC is a common MRI-finding in patients with non-specific LBP and is associated with pain. However, it should be noted that VESC may be present in individuals without LBP...
- Lumbar spine fusion in obese and morbidly obese patients
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Detroit Receiving Hospital and University Health Center, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:495-500. 2009
..Single-center retrospective study...
- United States trends in lumbar fusion surgery for degenerative conditions
Richard A Deyo
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1441-5; discussion 1446-7. 2005
..Retrospective cohort study using national sample administrative data...
- Obesity and spine surgery: reassessment based on a prospective evaluation of perioperative complications in elective degenerative thoracolumbar procedures
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine J 10:581-7. 2010
..The correlation between obesity and incidence of complications in spine surgery is unclear, with some reports suggesting linear relationships between body mass index (BMI) and complication incidence and others noting no relationship...
- The Oswestry Disability Index
J C Fairbank
Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:2940-52; discussion 2952. 2000
..This review is based on publications using the ODI identified from the authors' personal databases, the Science Citation Index, and hand searches of Spine and current textbooks of spinal disorders...
- Symptomatic intraspinal pneumocoele resulting from closed head injury
Department of Neurosurgery, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Br J Neurosurg 17:248-9. 2003
..Intraspinal pneumocoele is rarely associated with closed head injury. We describe a case of intra-spinal pneumocoele following a closed head injury. We believe this to be the first case presenting with radicular symptoms...
- [Experiences with six different intervertebral disc spacers for spondylodesis of the cervical spine]
Klinik für Neurochirurgie, Unfallkrankenhaus, Berlin
Orthopade 33:1290-9. 2004
..The PEEK spacer from Intromed can be implanted safely but shows a tendency for dislocation. Long-term results are yet to be reported...
- Treatment of traumatic cervical spine instability with interbody fusion cages: a prospective controlled study with a 2-year follow-up
, , Campus Virchow-Klinikum, Berlin, Germany
Injury 36:B27-35. 2005
- 4- and 5-level anterior fusions of the cervical spine: review of literature and clinical results
German Scoliosis Center, Bad Wildungen, Hessen, Germany
Eur Spine J 16:2055-71. 2007
..The discussion of our results are accompanied by a detailed review of literature, shedding light on the biomechanical challenges in multilevel cervical procedures and suggests conclusions...
- The characteristics of patient satisfaction measures
P L Hudak
Institute for Medical Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 25:3167-77. 2000
- Anterior corpectomy with iliac bone fusion or discectomy with interbody titanium cage fusion for multilevel cervical degenerated disc disease
Shiuh Lin Hwang
Department of Neurosurgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:565-70. 2007
..Clinical and radiologic study evaluating the outcome after anterior corpectomy with iliac bone fusion compared with discectomy with interbody titanium cage fusion for multilevel cervical degenerated disc disease...
- Polymethylmethacrylate augmentation of pedicle screw for osteoporotic spinal surgery: a novel technique
Ming Chau Chang
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:E317-24. 2008
A retrospective study to evaluate the clinical results of patients with osteoporosis and various spinal diseases treated surgically with polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) augmented pedicle screw.
- Multilevel cervical fusion without plates, screws or autogenous iliac crest bone graft
Mehmet Nusret Demircan
GATA Haydarpasa Training Hospital, Department of Neurosurgery, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Neurosci 14:723-8. 2007
- Minimally invasive lumbar fusion
Kevin T Foley
Image Guided Surgery Research Center, Methodist Hospitals of Memphis, Semmes Murphey Clinic and the Department of Neurosurgery, University of Tennessee, Memphis 38104, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:S26-35. 2003
- Lateral mass screw-rod fixation of the cervical spine: a prospective clinical series with 1-year follow-up
H Gordon Deen
Department of Neurosurgery, Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Spine J 3:489-95. 2003
- Rates of advanced spinal imaging and spine surgery
Jon D Lurie
Center for the Evaluative Clinical Sciences, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:616-20. 2003
..Small area analysis...
- Collagen type I alpha1 Sp1 polymorphism, osteoporosis, and intervertebral disc degeneration in older men and women
S M F Pluijm
Institute for Research in Extramural Medicine EMGO Institute, VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 63:71-7. 2004
..To examine whether collagen type I alpha1 (COLIA1) Sp1 polymorphism is associated with osteoporosis and/or intervertebral disc degeneration in older people...
- Disc chondrocyte transplantation in a canine model: a treatment for degenerated or damaged intervertebral disc
Atlanta Medical Center, Atlanta, Georgia 30312, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:2609-20. 2003
..A dog model was used to investigate the hypothesis that autologous disc chondrocytes can be used to repair damaged intervertebral disc...
- The impact of adjacent level disc degeneration on health status outcomes following lumbar fusion
Thomas W Throckmorton
The Vanderbilt University Spine Center, Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Spine 28:2546-50. 2003
..Although a power analysis validated these results with 98% certainty, larger prospective studies are needed to confirm that there is no benefit to include degenerated adjacent segments in a lumbar fusion for degenerative instability...
- Single-level lumbar spine fusion: a comparison of anterior and posterior approaches
Ben B Pradhan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90095-6902, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 15:355-61. 2002
..This may in turn affect surgical outcome and hospital cost. However, both approaches to single-level lumbar fusion produce similar early fusion rates and clinical results. Revision fusions had poor early results regardless of approach...
- Classification of age-related changes in lumbar intervertebral discs: 2002 Volvo Award in basic science
Orthopaedic University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2631-44. 2002
..A histologic study on age-related changes of the human lumbar intervertebral disc was conducted...
- Ultrasound imaging of the intervertebral disc
Anatomy Department, University of Bristol
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:107-13. 2003
..In vitro ultrasound imaging of dog intervertebral discs was performed...
- Investigation of the role of IL-1 and TNF in matrix degradation in the intervertebral disc
J A Hoyland
Tissue Injury and Repair Group, Research School in Clinical and Laboratory Sciences, Stopford Building, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 47:809-14. 2008
..To establish if IL-1 or TNF regulates matrix degradation in the non-degenerate or degenerate intervertebral disc (IVD)...
- Circumferential lumbar spinal fusion with Brantigan cage versus posterolateral fusion with titanium Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation: a prospective, randomized clinical study of 146 patients
Finn B Christensen
Spine Section, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital of Aarhus, Denmark
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:2674-83. 2002
..A prospective randomized clinical study with a 2-year follow-up period was conducted...
- Intervertebral disc degeneration: the role of the mitochondrial pathway in annulus fibrosus cell apoptosis induced by overload
Division of Biomedical Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California 92521 0121, USA
Am J Pathol 164:915-24. 2004
..Our results from human samples, mouse models, and annulus fibrosus culture experiments demonstrate that the mechanical overload-induced IVD degeneration is mediated through the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in IVD cells...
- Diagnostic accuracy and reliability of fine-cut CT scans with reconstructions to determine the status of an instrumented posterolateral fusion with surgical exploration as reference standard
Leah Y Carreon
Kenton D Leatherman Spine Center, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:892-5. 2007
..Accuracy of a diagnostic test referenced to the gold standard...
- Reverse transformation of Modic type 2 changes to Modic type 1 changes during sustained chronic low-back pain severity. Report of two cases and review of the literature
Laurence A G Marshman
Department of Spinal Surgery, University Hospital of North Tees, United Kingdom
J Neurosurg Spine 6:152-5. 2007
..Each type can change, with equal symptom-generating capacity. More representative imaging-pathological correlates are required to determine the precise nature of MT changes...
- Human disc degeneration is associated with increased MMP 7 expression
C L Le Maitre
Division of Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, M13 9PT, United Kingdom
Biotech Histochem 81:125-31. 2006
..Prolapsed discs showed more MMP 7 immunopositive cells compared to nondegenerated discs, but fewer than those seen in cases of severe degeneration...
- Histology and pathology of the human intervertebral disc
Centre for Spinal Studies, Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Trust, Oswestry, Shropshire SY10 7AG, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:10-4. 2006
..Whatever the initial cause, a change in the morphology of the tissue is likely to alter the physiologic and mechanical functioning of the tissue...
- A preliminary in vitro study into the use of IL-1Ra gene therapy for the inhibition of intervertebral disc degeneration
Christine L Le Maitre
Division of Laboratory and Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Int J Exp Pathol 87:17-28. 2006
..This in vitro study has shown that the use of ex vivo gene transfer to degenerate disc tissue is a feasible therapy for the inhibition of IL-1-mediated events during disc degeneration...
- Restoration of disc height loss by recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 injection into intervertebral discs undergoing degeneration induced by an intradiscal injection of chondroitinase ABC
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rush Medical College at Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1197-205. 2007
..In vivo study of the effect of an injection of recombinant human osteogenic protein-1 into degenerated discs induced by chondroitinase ABC...
- Bone morphogenetic proteins and bone defects: a systematic review
Department of Biomedical Science and Human Oncology, University of Turin, Italy
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:824-30. 2007
..A systematic review of scientific literature...
- Pneumorrhachis of the entire spinal canal
M F Oertel
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital, School of Medicine, Aachen University, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52057 Aachen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 76:1036. 2005
- Are lumbar spine reoperation rates falling with greater use of fusion surgery and new surgical technology?
Brook I Martin
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:2119-26. 2007
..A retrospective analysis of population-based hospital discharge registry from all nonfederal acute care hospitals in Washington State...
- Acute hemorrhagic cyst of the ligamentum flavum
Department of Neurosurgery, San Giovanni Addolorata Hospital, Roma, Italy
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:536-8. 2007
..A case report and clinical discussion...
- Reliability of the prospective data collection protocol of the Swedish Spine Register: test-retest analysis of 119 patients
Department of Orthopedics, Lund University Hospital Lund, SE 221 85 Sweden
Acta Orthop 77:662-9. 2006
..In a few years, it will produce useful clinical information just as arthroplasty registers have, but to permit proper interpretation of data in the future, the reliability of the protocol must be tested...
- Comparison of conventional versus minimally invasive extraperitoneal approach for anterior lumbar interbody fusion
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Leopold Franzens University, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 13:425-31. 2004
..In addition, this approach showed significant improvement in postoperative back pain in comparison to the conventional approach for ALIF...
- Impact of degenerative spinal diseases on bone mineral density of the lumbar spine in elderly women
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Tokyo University School of Medicine, Japan
Osteoporos Int 15:724-8. 2004
..The aim of this study is to determine whether the degree of degenerative spinal diseases is correlated with lumbar spine and femoral neck BMD...
- The Dynesys lumbar spinal stabilization system: a preliminary report on positional magnetic resonance imaging findings
Woodend Hospital, Aberdeen, Scotland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:685-90. 2007
..We present the positional magnetic resonance imaging findings of a prospective case series of patients undergoing surgery with the Dynesys spinal stabilization device (Zimmer, Inc., Warsaw, IN)...
- 2002 SSE Award Competition in Basic Science: expression of major matrix metalloproteinases is associated with intervertebral disc degradation and resorption
Institute of Pathology, University of Munich, Germany
Eur Spine J 11:308-20. 2002
..These findings implicate a leading function for MMPs in IVD degeneration resulting in the loss of normal disc function, eventually leading to low-back pain...
- Stability of posterior spinal instrumentation and its effects on adjacent motion segments in the lumbosacral spine
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1550-8. 1998
- Schmorl nodes of the thoracic and lumbar spine: radiographic-pathologic study of prevalence, characterization, and correlation with degenerative changes of 1,650 spinal levels in 100 cadavers
C W Pfirrmann
Department of Radiology, Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Dr, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Radiology 219:368-74. 2001
..Geometric observations regarding the vertebral endplates support the concept that Schmorl nodes are caused by an abnormality of the discovertebral junction...
- Relationships among selected measures of impairment, functional limitation, and disability in patients with cervical spine disorders
K M Hermann
The Therapy Center, College Station Medical Center, 1605 Rock Praire Rd, Ste 5, College Station, TX 77845, USA
Phys Ther 81:903-14. 2001
..A secondary purpose was to determine the influence of payment source and time since onset of symptoms on these same measures...
- 1995 Volvo Award in clinical sciences. Determinants of lumbar disc degeneration. A study relating lifetime exposures and magnetic resonance imaging findings in identical twins
M C Battié
Department of Physical Therapy, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:2601-12. 1995
- Disc degeneration affects the multidirectional flexibility of the lumbar spine
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 19:1371-80. 1994
..In lateral bending, the ROM significantly decreased and the NZR increased with degeneration. In all three loading directions, the NZR increased, indicating greater joint laxity with degeneration...
- Radiculopathy and myelopathy at segments adjacent to the site of a previous anterior cervical arthrodesis
A S Hilibrand
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospitals Spine Institute, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 81:519-28. 1999
- Vascular injury in anterior lumbar surgery
J K Baker
Center for Spinal Disorders, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:2227-30. 1993
..abstract truncated at 250 words)..
- Clinical validation of functional flexion/extension radiographs of the cervical spine
Department of Neurology, Spine Unit of Schulthess Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:120-7. 1993
..The trauma group showed trends toward hypermobility in the upper and middle cervical levels, and the locations of the centers of rotation were shifted in the anterior direction when compared with those of the healthy population...
- In vivo stress measurement can predict pain on discography
D S McNally
Department of Anatomy, University of Bristol, UK
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2580-7. 1996
..017). CONCLUSIONS: Stress profilometry is an effective investigation of the mechanics of intervertebral discs in vivo. Discogenic pain is caused by changes in the pattern of loading of the posterolateral anulus or nucleus pulposus...
- Calcification of intervertebral discs in the dachshund: a radiographic study of 115 dogs at 1 and 5 years of age
Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences, Norwegian College of Veterinary Medicine, Oslo, Norway
Acta Vet Scand 37:229-37. 1996
..6%) of the dogs in which calcified discs were not identified at 1 year of age. Of all dogs in which one or more calcified discs had disappeared during the study-period, signs of spinal disease were registered in 9 (75.0%)...
- The Longitudinal Assessment of Imaging and Disability of the Back (LAIDBack) Study: baseline data
J J Jarvik
Department of Radiology, University of Washington, Seattle 98195, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:1158-66. 2001
..Prospective cohort study of randomly selected Veterans Affairs (VA) outpatients...
- Current understanding of cellular and molecular events in intervertebral disc degeneration: implications for therapy
A J Freemont
Musculoskeletal Research Group, The Medical School, Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
J Pathol 196:374-9. 2002
..The exciting consequence of this observation is the possibility of being able to inhibit or even reverse the processes of degeneration using targeted therapy...
- Comparison of posterior and transforaminal approaches to lumbar interbody fusion
S C Humphreys
Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics, Foundation for Research, Chattanooga, Tennesse 37404, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:567-71. 2001
..A study of the transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion and the posterior lumbar interbody fusion techniques was performed...
- MRI follow-up of subchondral signal abnormalities in a selected group of chronic low back pain patients
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41 a A, 00250, Helsinki, Finland
Eur Spine J 17:1300-8. 2008
..They seem to have a highly variable course. There appears to be a link between endplate lesions and subchondral signal abnormalities. Further study is needed to explain the contribution of these findings to low back symptoms...
- Lumbar disc degeneration: correlation with age, sex, and spine level in 600 autopsy specimens
J A Miller
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 13:173-8. 1988
..The calculations suggest that higher mechanical stress, perhaps combined with longer nutritional pathways, may be responsible for the earlier degeneration of male discs...
- Swelling pressure of the lumbar intervertebral discs: influence of age, spinal level, composition, and degeneration
J P Urban
University Laboratory of Physiology, Oxford University, England
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 13:179-87. 1988
- Expression of chondrocyte markers by cells of normal and degenerate intervertebral discs
J I Sive
Musculoskeletal Research Group, University of Manchester, Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Mol Pathol 55:91-7. 2002
..In degeneration, there was evidence of a loss of aggrecan synthesis, which may contribute to the pathogenesis of disc degeneration. AF cells showed no evidence of a chondrocytic phenotype in either normal or degenerate discs...
- Long-segment fusion of the thoracolumbar spine in conjunction with a motion-preserving artificial disc replacement: case report and review of the literature
Ronald A Lehman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E240-5. 2007
- Review of existing grading systems for cervical or lumbar disc and facet joint degeneration
Institute of Orthopaedic Research and Biomechanics, University of Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Eur Spine J 15:705-18. 2006
..We would therefore recommend to define certain standards. Our suggestion would be to use a scale of three to five grades, to begin the scale with the not degenerated state and to assign this state to "grade 0"...
- Adjacent segment degeneration following spinal fusion for degenerative disc disease
David A Levin
Spine Service, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, New York 10003, USA
Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 65:29-36. 2007
- A prospective cohort study of surgical treatment for back pain with degenerated discs; study protocol
Richard A Deyo
Department of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 6:24. 2005
..Little is known about how patients undergoing lumbar fusion compare in preoperative physical and psychological function to patients who have degenerative discs, but receive only non-surgical care...
- A simplified method of opacifying and mixing acrylic cement for percutaneous vertebroplasty: a clinical and in vitro study
Gao Jun Teng
Department of Radiology, Zhong Da Hospital, Southeast University, 87 Dingjiaqiao Road, Nanjing, China
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 28:570-7. 2005
..Although the biomechanical strength is altered by the contrast medium added, it seems insignificant in clinical practice based on the authors' limited experience...
- Systematic review of randomized trials comparing lumbar fusion surgery to nonoperative care for treatment of chronic back pain
Sohail K Mirza
Center for Cost and Outcomes Research, and Department of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:816-23. 2007
..Systematic review of randomized trials comparing surgical to nonsurgical treatment of discogenic back pain...
- Computer tomographically guided discography as a determinant of normal disc level before fusion
F R Murtagh
Division of Neuroradiology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 17:826-30. 1992
..In each of these cases, one level higher had to be studied and was subsequently found to be normal and would, therefore, support a fusion...
- Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: clinical and radiographic results and complications in 100 consecutive patients
Benjamin K Potter
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:337-46. 2005
..Complications resulting from the procedure are uncommon and generally minor and transient...
- Vertebral pneumatocyst. A case report
Department of Radiology, Soroka Medical Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:389-91. 1996
..To the best of our knowledge, intraosseous pneumatocyst located in the spinal process has not been reported. CONCLUSIONS: Intraosseous pneumatocyst is a benign lesion. Biopsy and follow-up are unnecessary...
- Computed tomography-guided percutaneous facet screw fixation in the lumbar spine. Technical note
Ho Yeong Kang
Department of Radiology, Wooridul Spine Hospital, Seoul, Korea
J Neurosurg Spine 7:95-8. 2007
..All screws were inserted accurately and there were no complications. This new minimally invasive surgical technique may offer an alternative to pedicle screw fixation as a method of posterior supplementation...
- Changes in the utilization of spinal fusion in the United States
John A Cowan
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0338, USA
Neurosurgery 59:15-20; discussion 15-20. 2006
..These changes are most pronounced for patients over 40 years of age, and degenerative disc disease seems to account for much of this increase...
- Lumbar disc disease with discogenic pain. What surgical treatment is most effective?
Department of Orthopaedics, Gothenburg University, Sahlgren Hospital, Sweden
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:1835-8. 1996
..Finally, Dr. O'Brien believes that the pain generator is anterior and that the treatment should be anterior discectomy and interbody fusion combined with posterior transarticular facet screw fusion...
- The correlation between preoperative disc space height and clinical outcomes after anterior lumbar interbody fusion
Thomas C Schuler
Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA, USA
J Spinal Disord Tech 18:396-401. 2005
..CONCLUSION: Symptomatic disc degeneration can be readily identified with plain radiographic findings, and patients' symptoms can often be relieved predictably with a stand-alone interbody fusion procedure...
- Freeze-dried fibular allograft in anterior spinal surgery: cervical and lumbar applications
F T Wetzel
Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Hershey
Yale J Biol Med 66:263-75. 1993
..Based on these data, primary anterior body fusion without allograft in the lumbar spine cannot be recommended, as a viable alternative to conventional autograft...
- Total disk arthroplasty
Eric L Lin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14:705-14. 2006
..Consequently, the long-term benefit of total disk arthroplasty over fusion for the treatment of axial low back or neck pain remains to be determined...
- Access strategies for revision or explantation of the Charité lumbar artificial disc replacement
Willis H Wagner
Division of Vascular Surgery, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and Century City Doctors Hospital, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
J Vasc Surg 44:1266-72. 2006
..We report our experience with secondary exposure of the lumbar spine for revision or explantation of the Charité disc prosthesis...
- Chronic disabling low back pain syndrome caused by internal disc derangements. The results of disc excision and posterior lumbar interbody fusion
C K Lee
Department of Orthopaedics, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 20:356-61. 1995
..Approximately 87% of the 62 patients responded properly to the follow-up evaluation. Eighty-nine percent of the patients had satisfactory results, 93% returned to work, and a successful fusion was obtained in 94% of the patients...
- Cervical and lumbar MRI findings in aviators as a function of aircraft type
Dan Avi Landau
Surgeon General s Headquarters, IAF, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Aviat Space Environ Med 77:1158-61. 2006
..We evaluated the cervical and lumbar spine with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to assess the prevalence of degenerative changes in three subpopulations of pilots...
- "Juxtafacet cysts", a misleading name for cystic formations of mobile spine (CYFMOS)
Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital of Giessen, Klinikstrasse 29, 35385 Giessen, Hessen, Germany
Eur Spine J 16:1499-505. 2007
..A surgical intervention is the best treatment for these cysts if they cause a compression of nerve roots or/and of the spinal cord...
- Adjacent segment degeneration and adjacent segment disease: the consequences of spinal fusion?
Alan S Hilibrand
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University and the Rothman Institute, 925 Chestnut Street, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine J 4:190S-194S. 2004
..It remains to be seen whether restoration of motion with disc arthroplasty will alter the rate of adjacent segment degeneration or disease...
- Guidelines for the performance of fusion procedures for degenerative disease of the lumbar spine. Part 6: magnetic resonance imaging and discography for patient selection for lumbar fusion
Daniel K Resnick
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 2:662-9. 2005
- [Nonsymptomatic changes in magnetic resonansce imaging of spine among airforce candidates]
Zakład Bezpieczeństwa Lotów, Wojskowy Instytut Medycyny Lotniczej w Warszawie
Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 70:411-4. 2005
..The aim of the study was evaluate a structure the whole spine on magnetic resonansce imaging among airforce candidates...
- Radiologic assessment of all unfused lumbar segments 7.5 years after instrumented posterior spinal fusion
Unitat d estudi de la Patología del Raquis, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:574-9. 2007
..Prospective observational single-cohort study...
- Results of the prospective, randomized, multicenter Food and Drug Administration investigational device exemption study of the ProDisc-L total disc replacement versus circumferential fusion for the treatment of 1-level degenerative disc disease
Texas Back Institute Texas Health Research Institute, Plano, TX 75093, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:1155-62; discussion 1163. 2007
..A prospective, randomized, multicenter, Food and Drug Administration-regulated Investigational Device Exemption clinical trial...
- [Surgical anatomy and approaches in degenerative lumbar diseases]
Department of Neurosurgery, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8575, Japan
No Shinkei Geka 34:255-65. 2006
- [The application of lumbar discography in the diagnosis and treatment of the discogenic low back pain]
Ding jun Hao
Department of Spine Surgery, Xi an Red Cross Hospital, Xi an 710054, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 44:1675-7. 2006
..To investigate the diagnostic value of lumbar discography in discogenic low back pain and the effects of intervertebral fusion surgery...
- Laparoscopic anterior lumbar interbody fusion: a review of outcome studies
Department of Neurosurgery, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Harbourside Medical Tower Rm 730, 4 Columbia Drive, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:340-7. 2005
..Treatment of lumbar degenerative disc disease itself has been changing rapidly, as represented by the recent emergence of the lumbar artificial disc, and the future role of LALIF remains to be followed closely...
- Percutaneous posterior lumbar interbody fusion using the B-twin expandable spinal spacer
Spinal Care Unit, Meir Medical Center, Kefar-Sava, Israel
Minim Invasive Neurosurg 48:330-3. 2005
..Should this outcome be validated in further trials, the technique may be adopted in selective cases...
- Artificial spinal disk superior to fusion for treating degenerative disk disease
John L Zeller
JAMA 296:2665-7. 2006
- Laparoscopic fusion of the lumbar spine: minimally invasive spine surgery. A prospective multicenter study evaluating open and laparoscopic lumbar fusion
J J Regan
Texas Back Institute, Plano, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:402-11. 1999
..CONCLUSIONS: The laparoscopic procedure is associated with a learning curve, but once mastered, it is effective and safe when compared with open techniques of fusion...
- Critical analysis of trends in fusion for degenerative disc disease over the past 20 years: influence of technique on fusion rate and clinical outcome
Christopher M Bono
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2393, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:455-63; discussion Z5. 2004
..Critical analysis of the results reported in published literature...
- Radical cure of vertebral hydatidosis. A case report
Kassab Institute of Orthopaedic Surgery, Manouba, Tunisia
Acta Orthop Belg 70:80-3. 2004
..A two-staged anterior and posterior approach, although difficult, seems to offer a very good prognosis in case of univertebral localisation...
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion with processed sea coral (coralline hydroxyapatite) as part of a circumferential fusion
John S Thalgott
International Spinal Development and Research Foundation, Las Vegas, NV 89106, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:E518-25; discussion E526-7. 2002
..A retrospective review of 20 patients undergoing circumferential lumbar fusion with coralline hydroxyapatite blocks anteriorly and autograft with transpedicular or translaminar facet screw fixation posteriorly...
- Scoliosis correction in an adolescent with a rigid spine syndrome: case report
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104-4399, USA
Spine 30:E623-8. 2005
..Surgical intervention with spinal deformity fusion, correction, and instrumentation is indicated in RSS with progressive spinal imbalance not responding to conservative therapy is safe and can give promising results...
- [Sources of error and risks in CT based navigation]
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm
Orthopade 31:378-84. 2002
..Further, the CT-based navigation of fractured vertebrae or unstable iliosacral joints is not safe, because dislocations between acquisition of the dataset and operation will lead to misguidance...
- Adjacent segment degeneration: observations in a goat spinal fusion study
Roel J W Hoogendoorn
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, VU University Medical Center VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:1337-43. 2008
..These goats were followed for 6 months and the results were compared with 6 control goats...
- From clinical imaging... When one should look at all sides of the spine
Robert A Beatty
Spine J 3:543-5. 2003
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion: does stable anterior fixation matter?
S S Madan
Southampton University, Southampton, UK
Eur Spine J 12:386-92. 2003
..05). The results of this study indicate that the Hartshill horseshoe cage does improve the fusion rate, but does not affect clinical outcome...
- Cotrel Dubousset instrumentation in occipito-cervico-thoracic fusion
Department of Orthopedics, Huddinge University Hospital, 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur Spine J 11:364-74. 2002
..The results of this study show that the cervical CDI system can be safely used for stable cervical fixation without need for external support in severe pathologies of the cervical spine...