- A Cbfa1-dependent genetic pathway controls bone formation beyond embryonic development
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Genes Dev 13:1025-36. 1999
- The population burden of fractures originates in women with osteopenia, not osteoporosis
J A Pasco
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, Barwon Health, The Geelong Hospital, The University of Melbourne, P O Box 281, Geelong 3220, Australia
Osteoporos Int 17:1404-9. 2006
..The aim of this study was to determine the proportion of the population burden of fragility fractures arising from women at modest risk for fracture...
- Automated HPLC assay for urinary collagen cross-links: effect of age, menopause, and metabolic bone diseases
Marius E Kraenzlin
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Clinical Nutrition, University Hospital, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Clin Chem 54:1546-53. 2008
..We evaluated the analytical and clinical performance of a commercially available PYD HPLC assay and established reference intervals in children and adults...
- TIEG-null mice display an osteopenic gender-specific phenotype
J R Hawse
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Bone 42:1025-31. 2008
..Taken together, these findings suggest that female TIEG(-/-) mice are osteopenic mainly due to a decrease in the total number of functional/mature OBs...
- Osteopenia in HIV-infected men: association with asymptomatic lactic acidemia and lower weight pre-antiretroviral therapy
HIV, Immunology and Infectious Diseases Clinical Services Unit, St Vincent s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
AIDS 15:703-9. 2001
..Osteopenia has been associated with antiretroviral therapy, particularly with protease inhibitors. Osteopenia in HIV-uninfected men is associated with mitochondrial defects...
- Clinical potential of RANKL inhibition for the management of postmenopausal osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases
Pierre D Delmas
Université de Lyon and INSERM Research Unit 831, Lyon, France
J Clin Densitom 11:325-38. 2008
..The results of these human trials will also be discussed...
- Quantitative (31)P NMR spectroscopy and (1)H MRI measurements of bone mineral and matrix density differentiate metabolic bone diseases in rat models
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Bone 46:1582-90. 2010
..These results demonstrate that the combined (31)P NMR/WASPI method is capable of discerning the difference in EBM between animals with osteoporosis and those with impaired bone mineralization...
- Insulin receptor substrate-1 in osteoblast is indispensable for maintaining bone turnover
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and Department of Metabolic Diseases, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Clin Invest 105:935-43. 2000
..Osteoblastic IRS-1 is essential for maintaining bone turnover, because it mediates signaling by IGF-I and insulin and, we propose, also by other factors, such as 1,25(OH)(2)D(3)...
- Prolyl 3-hydroxylase 1 deficiency causes a recessive metabolic bone disorder resembling lethal/severe osteogenesis imperfecta
Wayne A Cabral
Bone and Extracellular Matrix Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Nat Genet 39:359-65. 2007
..Proband collagen secretion was moderately delayed, but total collagen secretion was increased. Prolyl 3-hydroxylase 1 is therefore crucial for bone development and collagen helix formation...
- Antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence of osteopenia and osteoporosis: a meta-analytic review
Todd T Brown
Johns Hopkins University, 1830 East Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
AIDS 20:2165-74. 2006
..Prevalence estimates of osteopenia and osteoporosis (reduced bone mineral density; BMD) in HIV-infected patients and the role of antiretroviral therapy (ART) varies in the literature...
- Bone mineral parameters in healthy young Indian adults with optimal vitamin D availability
Department of Endocrinology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Natl Med J India 16:298-302. 2003
..The impact of childhood nutrition on accumulation of peak bone mass may contribute to our findings. There is a need for establishing normative bone mineral density data for Indians...
- Cbfa1-independent decrease in osteoblast proliferation, osteopenia, and persistent embryonic eye vascularization in mice deficient in Lrp5, a Wnt coreceptor
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Cell Biol 157:303-14. 2002
..Moreover, these features recapitulate human osteoporosis-pseudoglioma syndrome, caused by LRP5 inactivation...
- The OPG/RANKL/RANK system in metabolic bone diseases
L C Hofbauer
Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 4:268-75. 2004
The OPG/RANKL/RANK cytokine system is essential for osteoclast biology. Various studies suggest that human metabolic bone diseases are related to alterations of this system...
- Short-term prevention of osteoclastic resorption and osteopenia in ovariectomized rats treated with the H(2) receptor antagonist cimetidine
, Groupe Physiopathologie Osseuse, , , Montrouge, France
Bone 30:131-6. 2002
..Interestingly, cimetidine had no effect on basal resorption along trabecular bone. Histamine inhibition by H(2) blockers warrants further investigation in this model of osteopenia...
- Fracture incidence and association with bone mineral density in elderly men and women: the Rotterdam Study
S C E Schuit
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Bone 34:195-202. 2004
..5; in men, this percentage was even lower (21%). Thus, there is a clear need for the development of more sensitive risk assessment tools, using not only BMD, but also other clinical predictors of fractures...
- Skeletal aspects of Gaucher disease: a review
R J Wenstrup
Division and Program in Human Genetics, Children s Foundation Research Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Br J Radiol 75:A2-12. 2002
- CRTAP is required for prolyl 3- hydroxylation and mutations cause recessive osteogenesis imperfecta
Department of Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Cell 127:291-304. 2006
..In humans, CRTAP mutations are associated with the clinical spectrum of recessive osteogenesis imperfecta, including the type II and VII forms. Hence, dysregulation of prolyl 3-hydroxylation is a mechanism for connective tissue disease...
- In vivo assessment of trabecular bone microarchitecture by high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography
INSERM Unit 403, and Claude Bernard University of Lyon, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:6508-15. 2005
..CONCLUSION: HR-pQCT appears promising to assess bone density and microarchitecture at peripheral sites in terms of reproducibility and ability to detect age- and disease-related changes...
- Bone disease and HIV infection
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Clin Infect Dis 42:108-14. 2006
- Osteopenia in patients with HIV infection is not associated with elevated sTNFR2 levels
Lisa M Chirch
Clin Infect Dis 43:1084-5. 2006
- Effect of raloxifene on the risk of new vertebral fracture in postmenopausal women with osteopenia or osteoporosis: a reanalysis of the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation trial
John A Kanis
WHO Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Bone 33:293-300. 2003
- Renal bone disease: a new conceptual framework for the interpretation of bone histomorphometry
A Michael Parfitt
Division of Endocrinology and Center for Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Disease, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Arkansas, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 12:387-403. 2003
..All metabolic bone diseases result from disordered bone remodeling, the physiologic mechanism for replacing bone that has become too ..
- Pathogenesis of osteopenia/osteoporosis induced by highly active anti-retroviral therapy for AIDS
Department of Pathology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 701 19 Street S, LHR 504 Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1068:297-308. 2006
..In this article, discussion will focus on the molecular pathogenesis and treatment of HAART-associated osteopenia and osteoporosis...
- Effect of vitamin K2 on cortical and cancellous bones in orchidectomized and/or sciatic neurectomized rats
Department of Sports Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Bone Miner Res 18:776-83. 2003
..The present study provides evidence indicating that vitamin K2 has the potential to suppress bone resorption or bone turnover and/or stimulate bone formation in vivo in ORX and/or NX rats...
- Identification and fracture outcomes of undiagnosed low bone mineral density in postmenopausal women: results from the National Osteoporosis Risk Assessment
E S Siris
Toni Stabile Osteoporosis Center, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, 180 Fort Washington Ave, New York, NY 10032 3784, USA
JAMA 286:2815-22. 2001
..Large segments of the population at risk for osteoporosis and fracture have not been evaluated, and the usefulness of peripheral measurements for short-term prediction of fracture risk is uncertain...
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral therapy: focus on bone density
Clinica Pediatrica, Ospedale L Sacco, Milan, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 3:199-208. 2004
- Adjuvant endocrine therapy plus zoledronic acid in premenopausal women with early-stage breast cancer: 5-year follow-up of the ABCSG-12 bone-mineral density substudy
Department of Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, General Hospital Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Lancet Oncol 9:840-9. 2008
..The aim of this substudy is to gain insight into bone health in this setting...
- Valid treatment options for osteoporosis and osteopenia in HIV-infected persons
Patrick G Clay
Dybedal Center for Clinical Research, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, Kansas City, MO 64106, USA
Ann Pharmacother 42:670-9. 2008
..To review clinical data on bone ossification agents that may be considered for use in the treatment of osteoporosis and osteopenia in HIV-infected patients...
- Longevity and lineages: toward the integrative biology of degenerative diseases in heart, muscle, and bone
Kenneth R Chien
UCSD Institute of Molecular Medicine, UCSD School of Medicine, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
Cell 120:533-44. 2005
..These advances form a foundation for new therapeutic strategies to delay the onset of aging-related disorders...
- Growth hormone increases vertebral and femoral bone strength in osteopenic, ovariectomized, aged rats in a dose-dependent and site-specific manner
Department of Cell Biology, Institute of Anatomy, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Bone 23:343-52. 1998
..Therefore, the effect of ovariectomy is dependent upon the skeletal site investigated, and the effect of GH treatment is dependent on both the skeletal site and the size of the ovx-induced bone loss at this site...
- Osteopenia of prematurity: a national survey and review of practice
C M Harrison
Department of Neonatology, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, Leeds, UK
Acta Paediatr 97:407-13. 2008
..The findings showed widely disparate practice regarding screening, prevention and treatment. We summarize the tests currently available for osteopenia and suggest guidelines for management of the at risk group...
- RANKL/OPG/TRAIL plasma levels and bone mass loss evaluation in antiretroviral naive HIV-1-positive men
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Microbiology Section, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Med Virol 79:1446-54. 2007
- Effects of the phytoestrogen genistein on bone metabolism in osteopenic postmenopausal women: a randomized trial
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico G Martino, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Ann Intern Med 146:839-47. 2007
..Observational studies and small trials of short duration suggest that the isoflavone phytoestrogen genistein reduces bone loss, but the evidence is not definitive...
- Bone isoenzyme of serum alkaline phosphatase and serum inorganic phosphate in metabolic bone disease of prematurity
M C Backström
Department of Paediatrics, Tampere University Hospital, Finland
Acta Paediatr 89:867-73. 2000
..Measurements of bone isoenzyme activity did not improve diagnostic performance. Serum inorganic phosphate levels below 1.8 mmol/l reflected low bone density with high specificity (96%), but the sensitivity was only 50%...
- Neonatal factors predicting childhood height in preterm infants: evidence for a persisting effect of early metabolic bone disease?
M S Fewtrell
MRC Childhood Nutrition Research Centre, Institute of Child Health, London, United Kingdom
J Pediatr 137:668-73. 2000
..We aimed to further investigate factors predicting childhood height and to test the hypothesis that evidence of early metabolic bone disease is associated with reduced later height...
- Risk of hip fracture according to the World Health Organization criteria for osteopenia and osteoporosis
J A Kanis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, UK
Bone 27:585-90. 2000
..The decrease in relative risk with age is, however, associated with an increase in absolute risk. Thus, for clinical use, the expression of absolute risks may be preferred to relative risks...
- Bone mass loss and vitamin D metabolism impairment in HIV patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Q J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 48:39-48. 2004
..We hypothesize that HAART may directly affect bone remodelling and/or may indirectly affect vitamin D metabolism...
- Overexpression of Cbfa1 in osteoblasts inhibits osteoblast maturation and causes osteopenia with multiple fractures
Department of Molecular Medicine, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Cell Biol 155:157-66. 2001
- Osteopenia: to treat or not to treat?
Michael R McClung
Ann Intern Med 142:796-7. 2005
- A double-blinded, randomized controlled trial of zoledronate therapy for HIV-associated osteopenia and osteoporosis
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92103, USA
AIDS 23:51-7. 2009
..To evaluate the efficacy of a single dose of intravenous zoledronate for the treatment of HIV-associated osteopenia and osteoporosis...
- Effect of walking exercise on bone metabolism in postmenopausal women with osteopenia/osteoporosis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, 160 8582, Tokyo, Japan
J Bone Miner Metab 22:500-8. 2004
- Prevalence of osteopenia and osteoporosis in Thai women
K K Limpaphayom
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
Menopause 8:65-9. 2001
..The results obtained from this study are important data for public health policy: maximizing bone mass throughout life as well as detection of important risk factors is essential...
- Vitamin K deficiency and osteopenia in elderly women with Alzheimer's disease
Department of Neurology, Mitate Hospital, Tagawa, Japan
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:576-81. 2005
..To analyze the relation between vitamin K status and bone mineral density (BMD) in women with Alzheimer's disease (AD)...
- Comparative effects of vitamin K and vitamin D supplementation on prevention of osteopenia in calcium-deficient young rats
Department of Sports Medicine, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Bone 33:557-66. 2003
- Mice lacking JunB are osteopenic due to cell-autonomous osteoblast and osteoclast defects
Research Institute of Molecular Pathology, Dr Bohr Gasse 7, A 1030 Vienna, Austria
J Cell Biol 164:613-23. 2004
..Thus, these data reveal a novel function of JunB as a positive regulator controlling primarily osteoblast as well as osteoclast activity...
- Cost-effectiveness of alendronate therapy for osteopenic postmenopausal women
John T Schousboe
Park Nicollet Health Services, University of Minnesota, and Veterans Administration Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55416, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:734-41. 2005
..Treatment guidelines recommend drug treatment to prevent fractures for some postmenopausal women who have low bone mass (osteopenia) but do not have osteoporosis or a history of clinical fractures...
- High bone resorption in adult aging transgenic mice overexpressing cbfa1/runx2 in cells of the osteoblastic lineage
Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Zweigniederlassung Novartis Forschungsstiftung, Basel, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 22:6222-33. 2002
- Menatetrenone prevents osteoblast dysfunction in unilateral sciatic neurectomized rats
Division of Nephrology, Clinical Research Center, Tokyo Teishin Hospital, Fujimi, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 90:88-93. 2002
- Menatetrenone ameliorates osteopenia in disuse-affected limbs of vitamin D- and K-deficient stroke patients
Department of Neurology, Futase Social Insurance Hospital, Iizuka, Japan
Bone 23:291-6. 1998
- Bone density testing in clinical practice
E Michael Lewiecki
New Mexico Clinical Research and Osteoporosis Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106, USA
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 50:586-95. 2006
..Standardized methodologies are being developed to establish cost-effective intervention thresholds for pharmacological therapy based on T-score combined with clinical risk factors for fracture...
- The development of bone mineral density and the occurrence of osteoporosis from 15 to 20 years of disease onset in patients with rheumatoid arthritis
The Rheumatism Foundation Hospital, Heinola, Finland
Clin Exp Rheumatol 23:193-8. 2005
..BMD measurements were obtained at the 15- and 20-year follow-up visits...
- Comparison of questionnaire and quantitative ultrasound techniques as screening tools for DXA
R B Cook
Department of Materials and Medical Sciences, Cranfield University Postgraduate Medical School, Shrivenham, SN6 8LA, UK
Osteoporos Int 16:1565-75. 2005
..66-0.69). The results show that QUS is capable of selecting patients with low bone density as measured by DXA. A patient displaying a low QUS value should be followed up with a DXA scan to confirm the diagnosis...
- Bone mineral density measurement in patients with recurrent normocalciuric calcium stone disease
Urology, Bakirkoy Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Urol Res 35:29-34. 2007
..Thus, the necessary precautions concerning bone mass protection should be taken and the patients should be informed about this issue...
- Effect of hip flexion on the measurement of spinal bone mineral density in the Norland Eclipse XR
Center for Metabolic Bone Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Galle, Sri Lanka
J Clin Densitom 8:183-6. 2005
- Peri-prosthetic bone mineral density after total knee arthroplasty. Cemented versus cementless fixation
R B Abu-Rajab
Orthopaedic Department, Diabetes Centre, Southern General Hospital, 1345 Govan Road, Glasgow G51 4TF, Scotland, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:606-13. 2006
..However, both produce stress-shielding around the femoral implants. This leads us to question the use of more expensive cementless total knee components...
- Clinical application of biochemical markers of bone turnover
Markus J Seibel
Department of Endocrinology, University of Sydney Concord Campus, Australia
Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol 50:603-20. 2006
..This review provides an overview of the current evidence regarding the clinical use of biochemical markers of bone remodelling in bone disease, with an emphasis on osteoporosis...
- Bone mineral density in survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia
Hematology-Oncology Unit, 2nd Pediatric Department, AHEPA Hospital, Greece
Turk J Pediatr 48:101-4. 2006
..We suggest that further studies are needed to evaluate the long-term effect on BMD in these children and to prevent pathological fractures later in life...
- The ability of peripheral quantitative ultrasound to identify patients with low bone mineral density in the hip or spine
R B Cook
Department of Materials and Medical Sciences, Cranfield University Postgraduate Medical School, Shrivenham SN6 8LA, UK
Ultrasound Med Biol 31:625-32. 2005
..Cut-off values varied according to the technique used and the accuracy of the screening required. Assessment of the calcaneus was the best QUS technique for the prediction of low bone density at the axial skeleton as diagnosed by DXA...
- Cushing's syndrome and bone
Division of Medicine, San Marino Hospital, Republic of San Marino
Pituitary 7:249-52. 2004
..The decision to discontinue antiresorptive therapy should be based on clinical monitoring and DEXA measurements...
- Both resistance and agility training increase cortical bone density in 75- to 85-year-old women with low bone mass: a 6-month randomized controlled trial
Teresa Y L Liu-Ambrose
UBC Bone Health Research Group, BC Women's Hospital and Health Centre Osteoporosis Program, Centre for Hip Health, and Faculty of Medicine, School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Clin Densitom 7:390-8. 2004
..Future research is needed to determine the mechanism(s) responsible for the observed adaptation of the cortical bone to mechanical loading...
- Higher circulating hsCRP levels are associated with lower bone mineral density in healthy pre- and postmenopausal women: evidence for a link between systemic inflammation and osteoporosis
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, 388-1 Poongnap-dong Songpa-gu, 138-736, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Osteoporos Int 16:1263-71. 2005
..54 (95% CI, 1.10 to 2.53) in the highest hsCRP quintile of postmenopausal women. These findings suggest that subclinical systemic inflammation may be associated with bone turnover rate and bone mass in healthy women...
- Correlation between patient recall of bone densitometry results and subsequent treatment adherence
Cynthia S Pickney
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Osteoporos Int 16:1156-60. 2005
..Correct understanding of DXA results may lead to higher treatment rates and better adherence to treatment among patients with low BMD...
- [Bone mineral density and bone turnover in systemic sclerosis]
Bjarki Thor Alexandersson
Laeknadeild Háskóla Islands
Laeknabladid 93:535-41. 2007
..To elucidate bone mineral density (BMD) and bone turnover in an un-selected group of patients with Systemic Sclerosis (SSc) in national based registry...
- Alendronate, vitamin D, and calcium for the treatment of osteopenia/osteoporosis associated with HIV infection
Washington University School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, St. Louis, MO, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 38:426-31. 2005
..There were no serious adverse events. CONCLUSIONS: Alendronate, vitamin D, and calcium are safe and potentially useful in the treatment of osteopenia/osteoporosis associated with HIV infection...
- Changes in the bucco-lingual thickness of the mandibular alveolar process and skeletal bone mineral density in dentate women: a 5-yr prospective study
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Odontology, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Eur J Oral Sci 113:114-20. 2005
..We conclude that the bucco-lingual thickness decreases with age in the dentate alveolar process, possibly owing to periosteal resorption related to skeletal bone loss...
- Age-related changes in bone turnover markers and ovarian hormones in premenopausal and postmenopausal Indian women
Meena P Desai
Division of Molecular Immunodiagnostics, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai, India
J Clin Lab Anal 21:55-60. 2007
- Long-term potassium citrate therapy and bone mineral density in idiopathic calcium stone formers
Department of Clinical Medicine and Applied Biotechnology D. Campanacci, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:218-22. 2005
..K citrate appears to be a further therapeutic opportunity for the management of osteoporosis in Ca stone formers...
- Sarcopenia in premenopausal and postmenopausal women with osteopenia, osteoporosis and normal bone mineral density
Marianne C Walsh
Northern Ireland Centre for Diet and Health, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry, Northern Ireland, BT52 1SA, UK
Osteoporos Int 17:61-7. 2006
..Sarcopenia screening simultaneous to BMD examinations by DXA, may be of value in identifying osteoporotic women with sarcopenia, a group that may be most in need of exercise interventions to increase muscle and BMD...
- Biochemical markers of bone turnover in the clinical development of drugs for osteoporosis and metastatic bone disease: potential uses and pitfalls
Department of Medicine, Endocrinology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Drugs 66:2031-58. 2006
..of bone turnover are used increasingly during the clinical development of drugs for the treatment of metabolic bone diseases such as Paget's disease, osteoporosis and cancer that has metastasised to the bone...
- Development and evaluation of a vertebral fracture assessment program using IVA and its integration with mobile DXA
Thomas P Olenginski
Department of Rheumatology, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, PA 17822 1341, USA
J Clin Densitom 9:72-7. 2006
..This study provides a useful framework for the integration of IVA into a clinical DXA program...
- Prevention and treatment of osteoporosis in inflammatory bowel disease
Gary R Lichtenstein
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Gastroenterology Division, Department of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 12:797-813. 2006
..They should not be interpreted as quality standards...
- Adapting pediatric DXA scanning to clinical orthopaedics
Elizabeth A Szalay
Department of Orthopaedics, University of New Mexico, Carrie Tingley Hospital, 1127 University Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 26:686-90. 2006
..Scanning multiple regions of interest including spine, hip, and/or distal lateral femora as indicated is the recommended protocol for assessment of BMD in the pediatric orthopaedic setting...
- Utility of screening tools for the prediction of low bone mass in African American men
University of Illinois at Chicago and Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, 1819 West Polk St, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Osteoporos Int 17:684-92. 2006
- Bisphosphonates are effective prophylactic of early bone loss after renal transplantation
Department of Transplant Medicine and Nephrology, Medical University of Warsaw, ul Nowogrodzka 59, 02 006 Warsaw, Poland
Transplant Proc 38:165-7. 2006
..Rapid bone loss and fractures occur early after solid organ transplantation. We examined the preliminary results of a prospective study evaluating the efficacy of prophylactic use of bisphosphonates in renal allograft recipients...
- Bone health of immigrant Chinese women living in New York City
Rajeev K Babbar
Graduate Medical Education Program, Department of Medicine, New York Downtown Hospital, New York, NY 10002, USA
J Community Health 31:7-23. 2006
..The large number of immigrant Chinese women in New York City with osteoporosis calls for major efforts to increase awareness, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of this condition in this susceptible population...
- [Early, noninvasive diagnostic of osteoporosis in men]
, Szpitala Specjalistycznego Nr 5 w Sosnowcu
Przegl Lek 62:641-9. 2005
..There is no relationship between bone mineral density and serum testosterone level...
- Bone mineral density in Iranian patients with inflammatory bowel disease
Department of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:758-66. 2006
..Treatment with corticosteroid has increased this possibility in both groups. Corticosteroid use, age, smoking, and BMI are predictive factors for low bone density...
- [Role of osteoporosis in trauma diagnostics]
Klinikum der LMU, Institut fur Klinische Radiologie, Innenstadt, Munchen
Rofo 177:1663-9. 2005
..To evaluate the current bone mineral density (BMD) distribution in elderly patients hospitalized due to traumatic hip fracture and to assess the necessity of concomitant pharmacotherapy of underlying osteoporosis...
- The relationship between general osteoporosis of the organism and periodontal diseases
Department of Dental and Oral Pathology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Eiveniu 2, 50009 Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 42:613-8. 2006
..This is a good possibility to investigate osteoporotic changes in the mandible, to select individuals for further studies, and to ensure clinical benefit and good treatment results...
- The prevalence of significant left-right differences in hip bone mineral density
Osteoporosis Center, College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University and VAMC, Johnson City, TN, USA
Osteoporos Int 17:1772-80. 2006
..From a public health perspective, the practice of scanning both hips could potentially identify more women with osteoporosis and may help prevent future hip fractures...
- Prevalence of low central bone mineral density in a Bulgarian female referral population: a pilot study
Mihail A Boyanov
Endocrinology Clinic, Alexandrovska Hospital, Medical University of Sofia, 1, G Sofiiski str, Sofia, 1431, Bulgaria
Rheumatol Int 26:523-9. 2006
..74% at the spine and in 65.57% at the total hip. This is the first Bulgarian study looking for the prevalence of central osteoporosis in a female referral population. It may become the starting point for future epidemiological work...
- Serum leptin levels in childhood celiac disease
Divisions of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
J Clin Gastroenterol 40:906-9. 2006
..We thought that with its intestinal histopathologic alterations due to immune mechanisms, and subsequent malnutrition and/or growth failure, celiac disease (CD) deserves interest regarding leptin status...
- Alendronate in combination with calcium and vitamin D prevents bone loss after orthotopic liver transplantation: a prospective single-center study
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Innsbruck Medical University, Innsbruck, Austria
Liver Transpl 11:960-6. 2005
..In conclusion, our study suggests that alendronate is efficacious in preventing the natural course of bone loss associated with LT...
- [Contemporary diagnostics and therapy of osteoporosis]
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik der Universität München Innenstadt, Munchen
Zentralbl Chir 131:401-6. 2006
..According to national and international guidelines implementation of contemporary clinical pathways to diagnose and treat patients with fractures due to diminished bone mineral density is fast, simple and proven to be effective...
- Homocysteine and bone loss in epilepsy
John O Elliott
The Ohio State University, 2050 Kenny Road, Columbus, OH 43221, USA
Seizure 16:22-34. 2007
..In this study, persons with epilepsy who take nutritional supplementation have 25% lower s-Hcy levels than those who do not. Supplementation continues to be important in preventative epilepsy care...
- Evaluation of bone metabolism in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia after induction chemotherapy treatment
2nd Pediatric Department Hematology-Oncology Unit, AHEPA Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 22:285-9. 2005
..Since a reduced BMD predisposes to osteopenia and osteoporosis, specific attention and therapeutic interventions should be considered...
- The effect of measurement of the contralateral hip if the spine is not included in the bone mineral density analysis
Department of Internal Medicine, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, East Lansing, USA
J Clin Densitom 9:210-6. 2006
..In the subgroup of subjects age 65 yr and older, a clinical difference in classification to a more severe diagnosis or treatment category occurred in 5.35% and 7.25% of subjects, respectively...
- Use of the lowest vertebral body T-score to diagnose lumbar osteoporosis in men: is "cherry picking" appropriate?
Karen E Hansen
Rheumatology Section, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI and Veterans Hospital, Madison, WI 53750, USA
J Clin Densitom 7:376-81. 2004
..Prospective studies are needed to determine which of these three methods of lumbar spine analysis best predicts future fragility fracture in men and women...
- [Clinical trial for differentiation between corticoid-induced osteoporosis and periarticular demineralization via digital radiogrammetry in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis]
Institut für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat Jena, Erlanger Allee 101, 07747 Jena, Germany
Z Rheumatol 63:473-82. 2004
- [Markers of calcium--phosphate metabolism and bones alterations in long term kidney transplant patients]
Klinika Nefrologii, , Katowice
Przegl Lek 60:690-4. 2003
..From results obtained in this study estimation of serum concentration of 25-OH-D3, PTH, CTx and the BMD respectively is mandatory to detect Ca-P abnormalities and osteoporosis or osteopenia in Tx patients...
- Prevalence of osteoporotic bone mineral density at the hip in Britain differs substantially from the US over 50 years of age: implications for clinical densitometry
Department of Medicine (Box 157, Clinical Gerontology and the Institute of Public Health, Clinical School, Hills Road, University of Cambridge, UK
Br J Radiol 75:736-42. 2002
..Providing that the relationship between fracture rates and BMD is the same in Britain and the US, it would still be appropriate to apply the reference data in fracture risk assessment in the UK...
- Bone loss is more severe in primary adrenal than in pituitary-dependent Cushing's syndrome
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Clinica Medica Generale, AO San Luigi, Regione Gonzole 10, 10043 Orbassano TO, Italia
Osteoporos Int 15:855-61. 2004
..However, this hypothesis needs to be confirmed in large, prospective series of patients with Cushing's syndrome of different etiology...
- Osteopenia in patients infected by the human immunodeficiency virus. A case control study
Institut do Prévention et de Recherche sur l Ostéoporose, Equipe INSERM ERIT M 0101, Hĵpital Porte Madeleine BP 2439 45032 Orléans Cedex, France
Joint Bone Spine 69:482-5. 2002
..003). No fractures were recorded. In this preliminary study, no evidence supporting a relationship between bone loss and protease inhibitor treatment was found...
- Bone mineral density in long-term survivors of highly malignant osteosarcoma
Department of Orthopaedics, Vienna General Hospital, Vienna, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:231-7. 2003
..Ten patients were osteoporotic, 21 osteopenic and 17 normal according to the WHO definition. Eighteen patients suffered fractures after receiving chemotherapy and all had significantly lower levels of BMD for all the sites measured...
- Vignettes in osteoporosis: a road map to successful therapeutics
Clifford J Rosen
Maine Center for Osteoporosis Research and Education, St Joseph Hospital, Bangor, Maine 04401, USA
J Bone Miner Res 19:3-10. 2004
..We describe five common clinical scenarios encountered in the practice of osteoporosis medicine and various road maps that could lead to successful therapy...
- Longitudinal changes of bone mineral density and metabolism in antiretroviral-treated human immunodeficiency virus-infected children
Laboratory of Pediatric Endocrinology, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Milan, 20132 Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:24-8. 2004
..Our data confirm the presence of low BMD and bone metabolism derangement in HIV-infected children treated with HAART. The role of possible therapeutic approach to restore bone mass and metabolism should be assessed in pediatrics...
- Are children with idiopathic nephrotic syndrome at risk for metabolic bone disease?
Department of Nephrology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
Am J Kidney Dis 41:1163-9. 2003
..No large study to date has shown conclusively that these children are prone to MBD...
- [Influence of glucocorticoids on bone mineral density in rheumatoid arthritis and seronegative spondyloarthropathies]
Clinic of Rheumatology, Kaunas University of Medicine, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 39:448-53. 2003
..Diminishing of the bone mineral density was more important in the lumbar spine, the changes in hip mineralization were less expressed in both diseases...
- Bone loss in the contralateral asymptomatic hand in patients with complex regional pain syndrome type 1
SSK Vakif Gureba Hospital Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic, Istanbul, Turkey
J Bone Miner Metab 22:44-7. 2004
..The bone loss in the asymptomatic contralateral hand could be explained by the loss of sympathetic tone in CRPS1 and contralateral sympathetic innervation...
- Can radial bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound measurements reduce the number of women who need axial density skeletal assessment?
Department of Medical Physics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, PO Box 1393, 71409 Iraklion, Crete, Greece
Osteoporos Int 14:688-93. 2003
..SOS of the phalanges and radius appears to have less value in the detection of the women with low axial BMD...
- Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry outcomes in male COPD patients after treatment with different glucocorticoid regimens
Emile F Dubois
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Reinier de Graaf Groep Delft and Voorburg, The Netherlands
Chest 121:1456-63. 2002