Genomes and Genes
Summary: Anemia characterized by a decrease in the ratio of the weight of hemoglobin to the volume of the erythrocyte, i.e., the mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration is less than normal. The individual cells contain less hemoglobin than they could have under optimal conditions. Hypochromic anemia may be caused by iron deficiency from a low iron intake, diminished iron absorption, or excessive iron loss. It can also be caused by infections or other diseases, therapeutic drugs, lead poisoning, and other conditions. (Stedman, 25th ed; from Miale, Laboratory Medicine: Hematology, 6th ed, p393)
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Red cell distribution width (RDW) in the diagnosis of iron deficiency with microcytic hypochromic anemiaRoosy Aulakh
Department of Pediatrics, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Indian J Pediatr 76:265-8. 2009To study the utility of red cell distribution width (RDW) in the diagnosis of iron deficiency among children with microcytic hypochromic anemia.
- Multiple organ toxicity, including hypochromic anemia, following repeated dose oral administration of phenobarbital (PB) in ratsSayuri Kojima
The Institute of Environmental Toxicology, Joso shi, Ibaraki, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 34:527-39. 2009..The hematological analysis provided evidence for hypochromic anemia, plausibly caused by the impairment of iron utility.
- Sex-linked anemia: a hypochromic anemia of miceR M Bannerman
Science 151:581-2. 1966..Though the anemia occurs on a normal diet, it responds rapidly to iron-dextran injection. It may represent an unusual primary disturbance of iron metabolism...
- Hematopoietic-specific Stat5-null mice display microcytic hypochromic anemia associated with reduced transferrin receptor gene expressionBing Mei Zhu
Laboratory of Genetics and Physiology, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases NIDDKD, National Institutes of Health NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Blood 112:2071-80. 2008..These mice exhibited microcytic, hypochromic anemia, as did lethally irradiated mice that received a transplant of Stat5a/b(-/-) fetal liver cells...
- alpha-globin gene deletion and point mutation analysis among in Iranian patients with microcytic hypochromic anemiaMasoud Garshasbi
Haematologica 88:1196-7. 2003..Five different mutations (-alpha(3.7), -alpha(4.2), --MED, -(alpha)20.5, Hb Constant Spring) were identified in a total of 43 cases..
- A comparative study of the usefulness of toki-shakuyaku-san and an oral iron preparation in the treatment of hypochromic anemia in cases of uterine myomaTomoko Akase
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, Showa Pharmaceutical University, 3 3165 Higashi tamagawa Gakuen, Machida, Tokyo 194 8543, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 123:817-24. 2003..traditional herbal medicine) "Toki-shakuyaku-san" and an oral iron preparation in the treatment of hypochromic anemia associated with uterine myoma...
- Microcytic hypochromic anemia patients with thalassemia: genotyping approachFakher Rahim
Research Center of Thalassemia and Hemoglobinopathies, Ahwaz Jondishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahwaz, Iran
Indian J Med Sci 63:101-8. 2009Microcytic hypochromic anemia is a common condition in clinical practice, and alpha-thalassemia has to be considered as a differential diagnosis.
- Increased plasma transferrin, altered body iron distribution, and microcytic hypochromic anemia in ferrochelatase-deficient miceSaid Lyoumi
INSERM U773, Paris, France
Blood 109:811-8. 2007..FECH deficiency induced microcytic hypochromic anemia without ringed sideroblasts, little or no hemolysis, and no erythroid hyperplasia...
- Genotyping of alpha-thalassemia in microcytic hypochromic anemia patients from North IndiaVaikam H Sankar
Department of Genetics, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
J Appl Genet 47:391-5. 2006Microcytic hypochromic anemia is a common condition in clinical practice and alpha-thalassemia has to be considered as a differential diagnosis. Molecular diagnosis of alpha-thalassemia is possible by polymerase chain reaction...
- A mutation in the gene for delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) causes hypochromic anemia in the medaka, Oryzias latipesDaigo Sakamoto
Department of Biological Information, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta, Midori ku, Yokohama 226 8501, Japan
Mech Dev 121:747-52. 2004..affecting embryogenesis in the medaka, Oryzias latipes, identified a mutant, whiteout (who), that exhibited hypochromic anemia. The who mutant initially had the normal number of blood cells, but it then gradually decreased during the ..
- The use of growth factors to manage the hematologic side effects of PEG-interferon alfa and ribavirinRochelle S Collantes
Center for Liver Diseases at Inova Fairfax Hospital, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 39:S9-13. 2005....
- Percentage of hypochromic red blood cells is an independent risk factor for mortality in kidney transplant recipientsWolfgang C Winkelmayer
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics and Renal Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Transplant 4:2075-81. 2004..Larger studies on the association between anemia and these outcomes are warranted...
- Serum transferrin receptor is a marker of iron deficiency in patients included in programs for preoperative autologous blood donationDonato Dimonte
Blood Transfusion Service, Azienda Ospedaliera Policlinico, C R C C, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, Bari 70123, Italy
Transfus Apher Sci 27:211-6. 2002..The aim of this study was to evaluate the use of the serum transferrin receptor (sTfR) for the assessment of IDE in patients undergoing PABD...
- [Iron, infection and anemia--a classical triad]Gunter Weiss
Universitatsklinik fur Innere Medizin, Innsbruck, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 114:357-67. 2002..The sole application of iron should be strictly avoided due to promotion of pathogen growth and impairment of immune function...
- Optimizing hemoglobin levels and beyond: strength for living and meaningful survival?Mario Dicato
Luxembourg Medical Center, Luxembourg, Luxembourg
Oncology 68:1-2. 2005
- Cancer-related anemia: pathogenesis, prevalence and treatmentGunnar Birgegard
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Oncology 68:3-11. 2005..These findings are noteworthy, since a growing body of clinical evidence indicates that the treatment of anemia can significantly improve patients' quality of life and may also improve the clinical outcome...
- Standard of care for cancer-related anemia: improving hemoglobin levels and quality of lifeEnrico Cortesi
Dipartimento Medicina Sperimentale e Patologia, Universita di Roma, Rome, Italy
Oncology 68:22-32. 2005..Ongoing research will continue to provide new insights into best management of anemia with epoetin alfa in cancer patients...
- Erythropoiesis and ironI Cavill
Department of Haematology, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff CF14 4XN, Wales, UK
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 15:399-409. 2002....
- Animal models with enhanced erythropoiesis and iron absorptionGladys O Latunde-Dada
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition Sciences Research Division, King s College London, Franklin Wilkin s Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NH, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1762:414-23. 2006..These, respectively, experimental and genetic models of enhanced erythropoiesis highlight the shifting focus of iron absorption regulation from the marrow to the liver...
- Phase III study of two different dosing schedules of erythropoietin in anemic patients with cancerDavid P Steensma
Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester 55905, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:1079-89. 2006..To compare maintenance epoetin alfa administered once every 3 weeks with continued weekly epoetin alfa for patients with cancer-associated anemia...
- Alpha-thalassemia phenotype induced by the new IVS-II-2 (T --> A) splice donor site mutation on the alpha2-globin geneCornelis L Harteveld
Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, The Hemoglobinopathies Laboratory, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Hemoglobin 30:3-7. 2006..Direct sequencing of the alpha-globin genes revealed heterozygosity for a T --> A transversion at the IVS-II-2 position of the alpha2 gene. This is the first IVS-II splice donor site mutation described on the alpha2-globin gene...
- Anemia and impaired stress-induced erythropoiesis in aceruloplasminemic miceSrujana Cherukuri
Department of Cell Biology, The Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 33:346-55. 2004..Thus, Cp(-/-) have mild microcytic, hypochromic anemia consistent with normal red cell formation but defective iron availability...
- Comparison of clinical outcomes of different erythropoietin usage strategiesMurat Arslan
Uludag University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Oncology, Bursa, Turkey
Tumori 90:394-8. 2004..There is no comprehensive study that compares the different usage strategies of recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEPO) in platinum-induced anemia. In order to clarify this issue, we conducted a prospective clinical study...
- Single value of serum transferrin receptor is not diagnostic for the absence of iron stores in anaemic patients with rheumatoid arthritisS Siebert
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Wales and University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Clin Lab Haematol 25:155-60. 2003....
- Treatment of cancer-related anemia with epoetin alfa: a reviewErminia Ferrario
Medical Oncology Unit B, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Via Venezian 1, 20133 Milan, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 30:563-75. 2004..Determining the timing of initiation of epoetin alfa is a clinical judgement; however, data suggest that patient functioning declines and the risk of transfusion increases when the Hb level falls under 12 g/dL...
- Assessment of hematologic effects and fatigue in cancer patients with chemotherapy-induced anemia given darbepoetin alfa every two weeksSaroj Vadhan-Raj
Section of Cytokines and Targeted Therapies, Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Support Oncol 1:131-8. 2003....
- Varying intervals of subcutaneous epoetin alfa in hemodialysis patientsSoheir Beshara
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
J Nephrol 17:525-30. 2004..The optimal subcutaneous (SC) epoetin alfa strategy is unestablished. The individual variability in dose requirements needs consideration. In this study, prolonged intervals were assessed in relation to varying dose requirements...
- Clinical factors associated with achieving K/DOQI hemoglobin targets in hemodialysis patientsSuying Li
Nephrology Analytical Services, Minneapolis Medical Research Foundation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Int Urol Nephrol 35:399-405. 2003..Few studies have assessed treatable factors associated with achieving the Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (K/DOQI) guideline of hemoglobin values of 11 to 12 g/dL in anemic hemodialysis patients...
- Quality of life of patients with chronic renal allograft rejection and anemiaPaolo Rebollo
Health Outcomes Research Unit, Nephrology Unit 1, University Hospital of Asturias and Institute Reina Sofía for Nephrological Research of the FRIAT, Oviedo, Spain
J Nephrol 17:531-6. 2004..The objective of this study was to evaluate the HRQOL of patients with chronic allograft nephropathy (CAN) and anemia associated to RI, and the effect of rHuEPO treatment on the HRQOL...
- [The 10-minute consultation: anemia as a chance finding]H Heimpel
Medizinische Universitätsklinik u Poliklinik, Ulm
MMW Fortschr Med 146:55-6. 2004
- Myelodysplastic patients with raised percentage of hypochromic red cells have evidence of functional iron deficiencyP T Murphy
Department of Haematology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland
Ann Hematol 85:455-7. 2006..Five of seven patients with elevated %HRC had satisfactory haemoglobin responses to a trial of human recombinant erythropoietin without iron supplementation...
- Reticulocyte indices rapidly reflect an increase in iron availability for erythropoiesisSanna Kotisaari
Haematologica 88:1422-3. 2003
- Can erythropoietin therapy improve survival?John Glaspy
University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, 90095, USA
Oncology 67:5-11. 2004..These results suggest that treatment of anaemic patients with cancer with epoetin beta is effective and safe...
- Optimising anaemia management with epoetin betaNicholas Reed
Beatson Oncology Centre, Glasgow, UK
Oncology 67:12-6. 2004..Once weekly administration of epoetin beta offers greater convenience and should reduce administration costs compared with the tiw regimen...
- [Clinical analysis of CAPD-treated patients without anemia]Maria Majdan
Katedry i Kliniki Nefrologii Akademii Medycznej w Lublinie
Wiad Lek 56:14-8. 2003..We conclude that spontaneous increase in Hb concentration in CAPD pts was not connected with increase in the serum endogenous Epo concentration. Factors other than Epo probably play a role in regulation of erythropoiesis in these pts...
- Evolving treatment strategies for anaemia in cancer: experience with epoetin betaMatti Aapro
Institut Multidisciplinaire d Oncologie, Clinique de Genolier, Switzerland
Oncology 67:17-22. 2004..The findings of such studies are expected to lead to a greater understanding of the optimal use of epoetins in cancer-related anaemia...
- [HbH disease--a rare differential diagnosis in a patient with anemia and abdominal pain]Ursula Fabry
Medizinische Klinik IV, Universitatsklinikum Aachen
Med Klin (Munich) 98:335-8. 2003A 45-year-old Vietnamese male was admitted to hospital with severe hypochromic anemia and acute abdominal pain. The peripheral blood smear showed extreme anisocytosis and poikilocytosis as well as teardrops and target cells...
- [Treatment with low doses of intravenous iron does not modify hemoglobin nor the erythropoietin dosage]J Fernández-Gallego
Nefrologia 26:143-4. 2006
- Clinical management of myelodysplastic syndromes with interstitial deletion of chromosome 5qStephen D Nimer
Division of Hematologic Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021 6007, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2576-82. 2006..This review highlights some issues about the classification and treatment of del(5q) MDS...
- Association of kidney function with anemia: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1988-1994)Brad C Astor
Department of Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:1401-8. 2002..Kidney failure is known to cause anemia, which is associated with a higher risk of cardiac failure and mortality. The impact of milder decreases in kidney function on hemoglobin levels and anemia in the US population, however, is unknown...
- Innovative parameters RET-Y, sTfR, and sTfR-F index in patients with microcytic, hypochromic anemia--their special value for hemoglobinopathiesAthanasia Agorasti
Hematology Laboratory, General Hospital of Xanthi, Xanthi, Greece
Lab Hematol 13:63-8. 2007..For that purpose, a cohort of 141 patients with microcytic, hypochromic anemia, along with 58 healthy individuals, were evaluated in the present study...
- [Treatment of anemia in patients with chronic renal disease: is it time for self-criticism?]Lucia Del Vecchio
U F Ipertensione e Nefrologia Preventiva, IRCCS Policlinico Multimedica, Sesto San Giovanni MI
G Ital Nefrol 24:285. 2007
- Efficacy of Tokishakuyakusan on the anemia in the iron-deficient pregnant ratsTomoko Akase
Department of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, Showa Pharmaceutical University, 3 3165 Higashi Tamagawagakuen, Machida, Tokyo 194 8543, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1523-8. 2007..These findings suggested that Tokishakuyakusan promotes erythrocyte differentiation in iron-deficiency anemia, and that it possesses anemia-ameliorating efficacy...
- Assessing symptom burden using the M. D. Anderson symptom inventory in patients with chemotherapy-induced anemia: results of a multicenter, open-label study (SURPASS) of patients treated with darbepoetin-alpha at a dose of 200 microg every 2 weeksJanice L Gabrilove
Division of Hematology Oncology, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Cancer 110:1629-40. 2007....
- Screening for beta-thalassaemia carriers in Egypt: significance of the osmotic fragility testA el-Beshlawy
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
East Mediterr Health J 13:780-6. 2007..For the one-tube osmotic fragility test, sensitivity was 87.0% and specificity 34.1%; the test has limited use for a mass screening programme in Egypt, where iron deficiency is prevalent...
- [Diagnosis and therapy of renal anemia]Janos Szegedi
Szabolcs Szatmár Bereg megyei Onkormányzat Jósa András Oktató Kórház I Belgyógyászati Osztály, Braun Avitum Hungary Zrt, 2 Dialízisközpont Nyíregyháza Szent István u 68 4400
Orv Hetil 149:251-5. 2008..When selecting the appropriate treatment strategy for each patient, the application method, the effect range and cost efficiency of the selected erythropoietin product must be taken into consideration...
- Increased microerythrocyte count in homozygous alpha(+)-thalassaemia contributes to protection against severe malarial anaemiaFreya J I Fowkes
Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research and Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 5:e56. 2008..We tested the hypothesis that the erythrocyte indices associated with alpha(+)-thalassaemia homozygosity provide a haematological benefit during acute malaria...
- Kinetic aspects of endogenous carbon monoxide production in experimental animalsS A Landaw
Ann N Y Acad Sci 174:32-48. 1970
- The cost-effectiveness of treatment with erythropoietin compared to red blood cell transfusions for patients with chemotherapy induced anaemia: a Markov modelSixten Borg
The Swedish Institute for Health Economics IHE, Lund, Sweden
Acta Oncol 47:1009-17. 2008..It is generally accepted that symptomatic anaemia should be corrected. Treatment options include red blood cell transfusion (RBCT), erythropoietin (EPO) administration or a combination of both...
- [Anemia and iron metabolism]Hideo Harigae
Rinsho Ketsueki 49:1285-90. 2008
- [Hemoglobin variability in chronic renal failure patients]Zoltan Kiss
Amgen Kft Orvostudományi Osztály Budapest Szabadság tér 7 1054
Orv Hetil 149:1925-34. 2008..Finally, based on the available data, the results of future research, and on board scientific consensus, in a strategy for treatment of renal anemia, we should take into account the questions related to Hb stability and variability...
- Serum transferrin as a marker of bone growth in boys: correlation with serum alkaline phosphatase activity, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1 and rate of growth in heightM Misaki
Student Health Center, Mie University, Tsu, Japan
Horm Metab Res 23:230-2. 1991..37; P less than 0.05). A significant correlation was found between serum TF levels and plasma IGF-1 levels (r = 0.45; P less than 0.05). These data indicate that serum TF levels may be a marker of skeletal growth in normal boys...
- [Human recombinant erythropoietin-alpha increases the efficacy of irradiation in preclinical model]József Lövey
Országos Onkológiai Intézet, Sugárterápiás, Budapest
Magy Onkol 51:53-61. 2007....
- Iron deficiency anaemia in newborn sla mice: a genetic defect of placental iron transportP J Kingston
Br J Haematol 40:265-76. 1978..The sla gene is already known to have a major effect in reducing iron transport in the small intestine. The present studies provide evidence of an analogous defect in placental iron transport...
- [Erythropoietin and hip surgery in an anemic Jehovah's Witness with ankylosing spondylitis, chronic liver disease, and Crohn's disease]J M Grasa
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 49:113-4. 2002
- Every-three-week administration of darbepoetin alfa in women with chemotherapy-associated anemiaAdrian L Goram
Hematology Oncology and Medicine, Sacred Heart Health System, Pensacola, FL 32505, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:1522-7. 2006..The effectiveness of every-three-week administration of darbepoetin alfa in women with chemotherapy-associated anemia was evaluated...
- [Erythropoietin resistance]Bernard Branger
Nephrologie 23:3-5. 2002
- Epoetin versus darbepoetin conundrum compromiseArchie Bleyer
J Clin Oncol 24:e46. 2006
- [Erythropoietin is a novel therapeutic option in the treatment of anemia caused by small cell lung cancer]Lilla Tamási
Pulmonológiai Klinika, Semmelweis Egyetem, Budapest, 1125, Hungary
Magy Onkol 50:243-6. 2006..The adequate use of erythropoietin is of great help to the physician in the management of small cell lung cancer patients, by improving the quality of life...
- Mature erythrocyte parameters as new markers of functional iron deficiency in haemodialysis: sensitivity and specificityChristophe Bovy
Department of Nephrology, Laboratory of Hematology, CHU Sart Tilman, B35, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1156-62. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the sensitivity and specificity of mature erythrocyte parameters in detecting functional iron deficiency (FID)...
- Intravenous iron for CAPD populations: proactive or reactive strategies?D Richardson
Department of Renal Medicine, St James s University Hospital, Beckett St, Leeds, UK
Nephrol Dial Transplant 16:115-9. 2001..The European best practice guideline [Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999; 14 (Suppl 5)] (5A) for the management of anaemia suggests that > 85% of the CAPD population should have a haemoglobin level of > 11.0 g/dl...
- Attitude of physicians in Saudi Arabia towards anemia treatment strategies in patients with chronic kidney diseaseMuhammad Ziad Souqiyyeh
Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 18:65-72. 2007..More studies are required to explore the quality of services rendered to the CKD patients and guidelines need to be outlined for the management of anemia in the CKD patients...
- Epoetin alpha in elective coronary and valve surgery in Jehovah's Witnesses patients. Experience in 45 patientsA Podesta
Cattedra di Cardiochirurgia, Universita degli Studi, Genova, Italy
Minerva Cardioangiol 50:125-31. 2002..The religious beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse homologous and autologous blood transfusion poses serious problems for surgeons when operating on patients requiring a mean transfusion requirement of =/>2 units of blood...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of quality of life, hematologic end points, and safety of weekly epoetin alfa in children with cancer receiving myelosuppressive chemotherapyBassem I Razzouk
St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:3583-9. 2006..To evaluate the effects of once-weekly epoetin alfa (EPO) on health-related quality of life (HRQOL), hemoglobin (Hb), transfusions, and tolerability in children with cancer...
- Renal tubular dysfunction with nephrocalcinosis in a patient with beta thalassemia minorMurugesan Ram Prabahar
Department of Nephrology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 19:964-8. 2008..work up for anemia showed normal white cell and platelet count while peripheral smear showed microcytic hypochromic anemia with few target cells. Hemoglobin electrophoresis revealed hemoglobin A of 92%, hemoglobin A2 of 6...
- Systemic lupus erythematosus in the Fars Province of IranM A Nazarinia
Rheumatology Department of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Lupus 17:221-7. 2008..8%) patients represented hypocomplementemia. Regarding hematological manifestations, 74.5% had microcytic hypochromic anemia, 64.6% had leukopenia, and 44.6% had thrombocytopenia; 18 (4...
- Alpha-2-globin gene polyadenylation (AATAAA-->AATAAG) mutation in hemoglobin H disease among KuwaitisM Haider
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 14:73-6. 2005..Here we document the clinical and hemato logical characteristics of children with Hb H disease being followed in Kuwait...
- Oxidative stress in blood of camels (Camelus dromedaries) naturally infected with Trypanosoma evansiMostafa A Saleh
Animal Health Research Institute, El Kharga, El Wadi El Gadid 725211, Egypt
Vet Parasitol 162:192-9. 2009..The infected camels were characterized by macrocytic hypochromic anemia. Trypanosomiasis in camels resulted in significant (P<0.001) stimulation of serum NO (78.93%), eMDA (110...
- Failure of biliopancreatic diversion in Prader-Willi syndromeG Grugni
Department of Auxology, IRCCS S Giuseppe Hospital, Istituto Auxologico Italiano Foundation, Verbania, 28921 Italy
Obes Surg 10:179-81; discussion 182. 2000..In a small number of patients, favorable results have been reported with biliopancreatic diversion (BPD)...
- Radiographic, histologic, and cytologic lesions associated with mutations in the fitness1(4226SB) locus of miceA E Schultze
Department of Pathology, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37901 1071, USA
Lab Anim Sci 49:260-8. 1999Previous investigation of fitness1(4226SB) mice revealed growth retardation and microcytic, hypochromic anemia with functional iron deficiency. Serum biochemical analysis suggested protein-losing enteropathy and liver dysfunction.
- [Multicentric inflammatory pseudotumor with asynchronic presentation in meninges, liver, spleen and lymph nodes in a patient with seronegative spondiloarthropathy. Case report and review of the literature]R M Vicuña-González
Servicio de Anatomia Patologica, Hospital Central Sur de Alta Especialidad de Petroleos Mexicanos, Delegacion Tlalpan, Mexico DF, Mexico
Rev Neurol 47:464-8. 2008..The cases with central nervous system affection have been described in meninges, brain, choroid plexus and cranial and spinal nerves. Multicentric cases, synchronous and asynchronous have been described...
- Hyporesponsiveness to erythropoietin: causes and managementJames Elliott
Department of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Adv Chronic Kidney Dis 16:94-100. 2009..Aluminum intoxication is a rare cause of iron-restricted erythropoiesis that may manifest as microcytic hypochromic anemia. A decrease in serum albumin concentration may signal the presence of inflammation, which may be manifest (..
- [Homozygous hemoglobin-E (Hb-EE) disease]G Amendola
Ematologia, Oncologia Pediatrica
Pediatr Med Chir 26:65-7. 2004..She showed a mild microcytic, hypochromic anemia with a normal iron balance; clinical examination was normal with neither pallor nor icterus nor splenomegaly;..
- A controlled, prospective screening study of celiac disease presenting as iron deficiency anemiaRupert A J Ransford
Department of Gastroenterology, County Hospital, Union Walk, Hereford, UK
J Clin Gastroenterol 35:228-33. 2002..The characteristics of celiac patients identified by screening require further study...
- Presumptive Babesia ovis infection in a spanish ibex (Capra pyrenaica)I Marco
Servicio de Ecopatologia de Fauna Salvaje, School of Veterinary Medicine, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Vet Parasitol 87:217-21. 2000..haemoglobin concentration (MCHC) were decreased and mean corpuscular volume (MCV) increased (macrocytic-hypochromic anemia)...
- Severe iron deficiency anemia in transgenic mice expressing liver hepcidinGael Nicolas
Département de génétique, Developpement et Pathologie Moleculaire, Institut Cochin, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, et Université René Descartes, Faculté de Médecine Cochin Port Royal, 75014 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:4596-601. 2002..These transgenic animals had decreased body iron levels and presented severe microcytic hypochromic anemia. So far, three mosaic transgenic animals have survived...
- Acute myeloid leukemia with multilineage dysplasia in an alpacaJennifer D Steinberg
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Washington State University, Monoclonal Antibody Center, Pullman, WA, USA
Vet Clin Pathol 37:289-97. 2008..Abnormalities on the CBC included neutropenia, thrombocytosis, and severe nonregenerative, macrocytic, hypochromic anemia. Dysplastic nucleated erythrocytes and micromegakaryocytes were observed on the peripheral blood smear...
- Treatment of iron deficiency anemia with Ferro-FolgammaMihaela Maria Ghinea
Clinic of Internal Medicine, Constanta, Romania
Rom J Intern Med 42:225-30. 2004Iron deficiency anemia is a hypochromic anemia in which hemoglobin poor synthesis is due to a decrease in the amount of iron in the body...
- Abnormal NK cell lymphocytosis detected after splenectomy: association with repeated infections, relapsing neutropenia, and persistent polyclonal B-cell proliferationElisa Granjo
Department of Hematology, Hospital S Joao, Porto, Portugal
Int J Hematol 75:484-8. 2002We report the case of a boy with hereditary spherocytosis who presented with mild microcytic hypochromic anemia and recurrent leg ulcers that had been present since childhood...
- Iatrogenic copper deficiency associated with long-term copper chelation for treatment of copper storage disease in a Bedlington TerrierM A Seguin
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27606, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 218:1593-7, 1580. 2001..A CBC revealed microcytic hypochromic anemia. High serum activities of liver enzymes, high bile acid concentrations, and low BUN and albumin ..
- Idiopathic pulmonary hemosiderosis with cystic lesions: a rare presentationI Godoy
Department of Internal Medicine, Botucatu School of Medicine, Universidade Estadual Paulista, Brazil
Am J Med Sci 319:411-3. 2000..Laboratory studies revealed normocytic hypochromic anemia and normal coagulation tests. C-reactive protein and mucoproteins were negative...
- Sideroblastic anemia in 7 dogs (1996-2002)Douglas J Weiss
Department of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, St Paul, MN 55108, USA
J Vet Intern Med 19:325-8. 2005Sideroblastic anemia is an anemic condition characterized by chronic hypochromic anemia and the presence of large iron deposits in erythroid cells. Seven dogs with sideroblastic anemia were evaluated retrospectively...
- Iron deficiency causes duodenum mucosal hyperplasia in male Wistar ratsG Coelho Palermo Cunha
BASF SE, Experimental Toxicology and Ecology, Z 470, 67056 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Toxicol Lett 177:156-67. 2008..diet to Wistar rats resulted within 14 days in reduced serum iron concentrations, a microcytic hypochromic anemia, characteristic for impaired hemoglobin synthesis, and an increase of duodenal epithelial cell proliferation...
- Scanning of beta-globin gene for identification of beta-thalassemia mutation in Romanian populationR Talmaci
Human Genetics Department, Genetics Institute of Bucharest University, Aleea Portocalilor nr 1 3, 76258, Bucharest, Romania
J Cell Mol Med 8:232-40. 2004..5%) in the Romanian population, but it must be considered in the differential diagnosis of hypochromic anemia. The molecular characterization of beta-thalassemia is absolutely necessary for molecular diagnosis, as well ..
- Recombinant expression and functional characterization of human hephaestin: a multicopper oxidase with ferroxidase activityTanya A M Griffiths
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Centre for Blood Research, University of British Columbia, Life Sciences Centre, 2350 Health Sciences Mall, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z3
Biochemistry 44:14725-31. 2005..Mutations in the murine hephaestin gene (sla) produce microcytic, hypochromic anemia that is refractory to oral iron therapy...
- The molecular formula and proposed structure of the iron-dextran complex, imferonE London
School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences, St Michael s Building, White Swan Road, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, PO1 2DT, UK
J Pharm Sci 93:1838-46. 2004..This new complex soon became the most widely used parental therapy for hypochromic anemia in humans. No molecular formula has been proposed, but Cox has attributed an outline structure to it...
- Identification of distal cis-regulatory elements at mouse mitoferrin loci using zebrafish transgenesisJulio D Amigo
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Mol Cell Biol 31:1344-56. 2011..A genetic deficiency of Mfrn1 results in a profound hypochromic anemia in vertebrate species...
- Paraneoplastic hypereosinophilia in a dog with intestinal T-cell lymphomaVeronica Marchetti
Department of Veterinary Clinics, University of Pisa, Italy
Vet Clin Pathol 34:259-63. 2005..Results of a CBC showed severe, microcytic, hypochromic anemia with mild eosinophilia (2944 cells/microL, reference interval 100-1250/microL) and thrombocytosis...
- A new alpha(0)-thalassemia deletion found in a Dutch family (--(AW))Marion Phylipsen
Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Blood Cells Mol Dis 45:133-5. 2010Alpha-thalassemia is an inherited hemoglobin disorder characterized by a microcytic hypochromic anemia caused by a quantitative reduction of the alpha-globin chain...
- Celiac disease as a rare cause of primary amenorrhea: a case reportMandakini Pradhan
Department of Medical Genetics, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rae Bareli Road, Lucknow, U P, India
J Reprod Med 52:453-5. 2007..Primary amenorrhea can be due to abnormal functioning of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis or malformation of müllerian structures. Malnutrition due to chronic malabsorption can alter the axis and can be a cause of primary amenorrhea...
- [Sonographic diagnosis of Bouveret's syndrome]J Guntau
2 Medizinische Klinik, Albertinenkrankenhaus Hamburg
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 132:315-8. 2007..MEDICAL HISTORY: A 76-year-old woman with known dementia was admitted to hospital for postprandial vomiting and increasing upper abdominal pain for 2 days. Gallstones and a chronic cholecystitis had been previously documented...
- Multiple mechanisms for hereditary sideroblastic anemiaKazumichi Furuyama
Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand) 48:5-10. 2002..disorders which is characterized by the presence of ringed sideroblasts in the bone marrow, microcytic hypochromic anemia and typically its X-linked inheritance in patients...
- Anemia and end-stage renal disease in the developing worldHedi Ben Maiz
Department of Nephrology and Internal Medicine, Charles Nicolle Hospital, Tunis, Tunisia
Artif Organs 26:760-4. 2002..8% of patients, was normochromic and normocytic in 73% of cases. Only 2% of patients had microcytic and hypochromic anemia. Iron deficiency was observed in 21.6% of anemic patients...
- Codon 24 (TAT>TAG) and codon 32 (ATG>AGG) (Hb Rotterdam): two novel alpha2 gene mutations associated with mild alpha-thalassemia found in the same family after newborn screeningPiero C Giordano
Hemoglobinopathies Laboratory, Department of Human and Clinical Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Hemoglobin 34:354-65. 2010..The mother presented with a significant microcytic hypochromic anemia and also carried the -alpha(3...
- Congenital atransferrinemia. A case report and review of the literatureR L Hamill
Department of Pathology, Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii 96859 5000
Am J Clin Pathol 96:215-8. 1991A four-year-old Polynesian girl with a two-year history of severe microcytic, hypochromic anemia (which was refractory to iron therapy) had a decreased beta-globulin fraction on serum protein electrophoresis, resulting from the absence of ..
- Celiac disease in children with short statureSeyed Mohsen Dehghani
Department of Pediatrics and Gestroentero hepatology Research Centre, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Indian J Pediatr 75:131-3. 2008..The aim of the present study was to determine the prevalence of celiac disease in children with short stature...
- [Esophagogastric variceal bleeding in a case of liver cirrhosis associated with thalassemia]Akihisa Ishikawa
Department of Gastroenterology, Hitachi General Hospital
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 106:800-4. 2009A 58-year-old man was admitted to our hospital because of hematemesis. Laboratory tests indicated microcytic hypochromic anemia and iron overload...
- Effects of everolimus monotherapy on hematological parameters and iron homeostasis in de novo liver transplant recipients: preliminary resultsM Masetti
Liver and Multivisceral Transplant Center, University of Modena, Modena, Italy
Transplant Proc 40:1947-9. 2008..Immunosuppressive drugs play an important role in anemia occurring at 1 month or more after OLT. Several studies describe myelosuppression immunosuppressants such as the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitors...
- Cranial neuroimaging in infantile tremor syndrome (ITS)Sharad Thora
Department of Pediatrics, MGM Medical College, Indore, India
Indian Pediatr 44:218-20. 2007..Five patients had microcytic, hypochromic anemia, three had dimorphic anemia. CT scans of two cases and MRI scans of three cases showed cerebral atrophy...
- Pediatric gastric lymphoma: a rare entityCaroline Jacquemart
Hémato Oncologie Pédiatrique, CHR Citadelle Liège Belgique, Belgium
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 30:984-6. 2008..Symptoms mimicking gastritis-epigastric pain, hypochromic anemia, anorexia, and weight loss had been present for a few months before diagnosis...
- Case report of HbC/beta(0)-thalassemia from IndiaS Kumar
Department of Haematology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi, India
Int J Lab Hematol 29:381-5. 2007..6%. The CBC showed microcytic hypochromic anemia. The HPLC and CBC suggested the possibility of compound heterozygote state for HbC/beta-thalassemia...
- Genetic Analysis of Iron Homeostasis in ZebrafishPaula Fraenkel; Fiscal Year: 2006..mutants generated in a large scale chemical mutagenesis screen, I have identified another mutant with hypochromic anemia, HF107, that maps to a novel locus on zebrafish chromosome 20...
- A Comparative Approach to Globin Regulation/ThalassemiaLEONARD IRA ZON; Fiscal Year: 2012..To date, we have uncovered over eight complementation groups of hypochromic anemia. In this proposal, we plan to extend our observations by characterizing the globin locus of the zebrafish, ..
- Zebrafish Genetics to Identify Genes Involved in HematopoiesisDHVANIT INDRAVADAN SHAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..pnt exhibits hypochromic anemia. pnt has a defect in hemoglobinisation while preserving red cell numbers...
- International Workshops on Iron and Copper HomeostasisMichael Garrick; Fiscal Year: 2004..The organizers face a demand for a continuation and series. Clearly one can expect the third - fifth conferences to extend the success of the previous two to more scientists and trainees and more interacting metals ..
- FUNCTIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF EARLY IRON DEFICIENCYBetsy Lozoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF PROTEIN SYNTHESIS AND ERYTHROPOIESISJane Jane Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..HRI is also important for the survival of mice with thalassemia and erythropoietic protoporphria. Our proposed study may lead to potential application of HRI in treating human patients with red cell diseases. ..
- HIGH THROUGHPUT DNA SEQUENCING/GENTOYPING SYSTEMDavid Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2001..In summary, the requested equipment will fit synergistically with existing resources and our Dean's major genomics/bioinformatics initiatives to markedly enhance research productivity. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF HEME REGULATED ELF-2ALPHA KINASEJane Jane Chen; Fiscal Year: 2001..Structure-function analysis of HRI will advance our knowledge not only on the regulation of protein kinases which are vital in the regulation of various cellular processes, but also on the regulation of heme proteins. ..
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- Neurodevelopmental Outcome in Russian OrphanageLaurie Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF PROTEIN SYNTHESIS AND ERYTHROPOIESISJane Jane Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..The small chemicals discovered in this proposed research might also have great potential in helping to treat drug-resistant cancer cells. ..
- FUNCTION OF MEF IN HEMATOPOIETIC CELLSStephen Nimer; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ABI 3730xl DNA AnalyzerDavid Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The function of I(3)mbt in hematopoietic cancersStephen Nimer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The PcG family of proteins is being increasingly implicated in carcinogenesis, and these studies will provide insights into the role that l(3)mbt plays in hematologic malignancies. ..
- High-Throughput Robotic Liquid Handling SystemDavid Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2003..Our expert and experienced DNAcore Directors and staff will effectively and rapidly integrate the requested high-throughput robotics system into our established central core facility to significantly increase its capabilities. ..
- Vitamin D3 inducible Genes Mediating DifferentiationStephen Nimer; Fiscal Year: 2004..The functional requirement of the DRIP coactivator complex in mediating VDR and RAR transactivation, in the context of nuclear receptor-dependent myeloid differentiation, will be determined. ..
- DNA SEQUENCING/GENOTYPING CORE FACILITYDavid Bishop; Fiscal Year: 2005..They will also identify and recommend novel strategies, technologies, instrumentation, and resources to further facilitate and foster cutting-edge cancer and other research. ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..