Genomes and Genes
Summary: A membrane on the vitreal surface of the retina resulting from the proliferation of one or more of three retinal elements: (1) fibrous astrocytes; (2) fibrocytes; and (3) retinal pigment epithelial cells. Localized epiretinal membranes may occur at the posterior pole of the eye without clinical signs or may cause marked loss of vision as a result of covering, distorting, or detaching the fovea centralis. Epiretinal membranes may cause vascular leakage and secondary retinal edema. In younger individuals some membranes appear to be developmental in origin and occur in otherwise normal eyes. The majority occur in association with retinal holes, ocular concussions, retinal inflammation, or after ocular surgery. (Newell, Ophthalmology: Principles and Concepts, 7th ed, p291)
Publications271 found, 100 shown here
- High-resolution imaging of the photoreceptor layer in epiretinal membrane using adaptive optics scanning laser ophthalmoscopySotaro Ooto
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Ophthalmology 118:873-81. 2011To compare, in eyes with an idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM), photoreceptor cell structural abnormalities identified on high-resolution images obtained by adaptive optics scanning laser ophthalmoscopy (AO-SLO) with the severity of ..
- Inner segment/outer segment junction assessed by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in patients with idiopathic epiretinal membraneMaiko Inoue
Department of Ophthalmology, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 150:834-9. 2010..segment (IS/OS) junction before and after surgery by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in patients undergoing idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM) surgery and to correlate these features with the functional outcomes.
- The role of cytokines and trophic factors in epiretinal membranes: involvement of signal transduction in glial cellsChikako Harada
Department of Molecular Neurobiology, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute for Neuroscience, Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
Prog Retin Eye Res 25:149-64. 2006..In this review, we summarize recent progress regarding the clinical and laboratory findings of ERMs...
- Role of the intravitreal growth factors in the pathogenesis of idiopathic epiretinal membraneLudovico Iannetti
Department of Ophthalmology, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:5786-9. 2011The aim of the present study is to evaluate the roles of TGFs β1 and β2, glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), and nerve growth factor (NGF) in the pathogenesis of idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- Three-dimensional evaluation of vitreomacular traction and epiretinal membrane using spectral-domain optical coherence tomographyHideki Koizumi
Vitreous Retina Macula Consultants of New York, Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, New York, New York 10022, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:509-517. 2008To delineate the 3-dimensional (3-D) relationship in vitreomacular traction (VMT) and idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- Perifoveal vitreous detachment and its macular complicationsMark W Johnson
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 103:537-67. 2005..To evaluate the vitreoretinal relationship in eyes with idiopathic macular disorders putatively caused by vitreomacular traction associated with early stages of age-related posterior vitreous detachment (PVD)...
- 25-gauge, sutureless vitrectomy and standard 20-gauge pars plana vitrectomy in idiopathic epiretinal membrane surgery: a comparative pilot studyStanislao Rizzo
Santa Chiara Hospital, Eye Surgery Clinic, Via Roma 67, 56100, Pisa, Italy
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:472-9. 2006..The aim of the study was to evaluate the safety and functional outcome of a small incision, sutureless vitrectomy in the treatment of idiopathic epiretinal membranes (ERM) compared with a standard 20-gauge vitrectomy system...
- Epiretinal membrane formation with internal limiting membrane wrinkling after Nd:YAG laser membranotomy in valsalva retinopathyAlvin K H Kwok
Department of Ophthalmology, The Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Am J Ophthalmol 136:763-6. 2003To report the location of premacular hemorrhage in Valsalva retinopathy and epiretinal membrane formation with internal limiting membrane (ILM) wrinkling after neodymium;yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Nd:YAG) laser membranotomy.
- Indocyanine green-assisted peeling of the internal limiting membrane may cause retinal damageA Gandorfer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Mathildenstrasse 8, D-80336 Munich, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 132:431-3. 2001..Although functional consequences of these findings remain unclear as yet, factors that may induce damage to the innermost retina should be elucidated...
- High-definition and 3-dimensional imaging of macular pathologies with high-speed ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomographyVivek J Srinivasan
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Research Laboratory of Electronics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Ophthalmology 113:2054.e1-14. 2006..To assess high-speed ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography (OCT) image resolution, acquisition speed, image quality, and retinal coverage for the visualization of macular pathologies...
- 25-gauge vs 20-gauge system for pars plana vitrectomy: a prospective randomised clinical trialLukas Kellner
Department of Ophthalmology, Rudolph Foundation Clinic, Vienna, Austria
Br J Ophthalmol 91:945-8. 2007..To compare 25-gauge vs 20-gauge system for pars plana vitrectomy in a prospective, randomised, controlled clinical trial...
- Clinical evaluation of the use of indocyanine green for peeling the internal limiting membrane in macular hole surgeryAude Husson-Danan
Centre Hospitalier National d Ophtalmologie des Quinze Vingts, 28 rue de Charenton, 75012 Paris, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:291-7. 2006..To evaluate the role of indocyanine green (infracyanine) in macular hole surgery...
- Effect of Robo1 on retinal pigment epithelial cells and experimental proliferative vitreoretinopathyLvzhen Huang
Department of Ophthalmology, Peking University People s Hospital, Beijing, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3193-204. 2010..This study was conducted to determine whether Robo1 is expressed in the retina of patients with proliferative retinal disease and whether it has a pathobiological role in the disease...
- Comparison of visual function after epiretinal membrane removal by 20-gauge and 25-gauge vitrectomyKazuaki Kadonosono
Department of Ophthalmology, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 142:513-5. 2006..To compare the efficacy and safety of 25-gauge vitrectomy with 20-gauge vitrectomy for macular pucker...
- Correlation of visual recovery with presence of photoreceptor inner/outer segment junction in optical coherence images after epiretinal membrane surgeryY Mitamura
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Chiba University Graduate School of Medicine, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 93:171-5. 2009To investigate the relationship between the presence of the photoreceptor inner and outer segment (IS/OS) junction and visual acuity after epiretinal membrane (ERM) surgery.
- Optical coherence tomography of idiopathic macular epiretinal membranes before and after surgeryP Massin
Department of Ophthalmology, Hopital Lariboisiere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Am J Ophthalmol 130:732-9. 2000To examine the preoperative and postoperative anatomical features of the macula using optical coherence tomography in patients who underwent surgery for epiretinal membrane and to correlate these features with functional results.
- Expression of cyclo-oxygenase-2 and downstream enzymes in diabetic fibrovascular epiretinal membranesA M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Old Airport Road, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1534-9. 2008....
- Vital staining with indocyanine green: a review of the clinical and experimental studies relating to safetyD Stanescu-Segall
Department of Ophthalmology, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Eye (Lond) 23:504-18. 2009..Although the use of ICG continues, on the balance of evidence, this review suggests that it is has the potential to produce subtle visual damage...
- Upregulation of RAGE and its ligands in proliferative retinal diseaseSophia I Pachydaki
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Physician and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Exp Eye Res 82:807-15. 2006..These findings suggest a role for the proinflammatory RAGE axis in the pathogenesis of proliferative retinal diseases...
- Associations between macular findings by optical coherence tomography and visual outcomes after epiretinal membrane removalMin Hee Suh
Department of Ophthalmology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Am J Ophthalmol 147:473-480.e3. 2009To identify characteristics measured by optical coherence tomography (OCT) that are correlated with visual outcome after epiretinal membrane (ERM) removal by pars plana vitrectomy (PPV).
- Brilliant blue G selectively stains the internal limiting membrane/brilliant blue G-assisted membrane peelingHiroshi Enaida
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Retina 26:631-6. 2006To report the use of the dye brilliant blue G (BBG) for staining of the internal limiting membrane (ILM) during macular hole (MH) and epiretinal membrane (ERM) surgery.
- Expression of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha and the protein products of its target genes in diabetic fibrovascular epiretinal membranesAhmed M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, Airport Road, PO Box 245, Riyadh 11411, Saudi Arabia
Br J Ophthalmol 91:822-6. 2007....
- Does the presence of an epiretinal membrane alter the cleavage plane during internal limiting membrane peeling?Nihal Kenawy
St Paul s Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Ophthalmology 117:320-3.e1. 2010To determine whether the presence of a clinically and/or microscopically detectable epiretinal membrane (ERM) alters the cleavage plane during internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling.
- Optical coherence tomography and focal macular electroretinogram in eyes with epiretinal membrane and macular pseudoholeToshimitsu Suzuki
Department of Ophthalmology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 136:62-7. 2003..To determine the morphology of macular pseudoholes (MPHs) and the relationship of morphology to macular function...
- High-resolution optical coherence tomography after surgery for vitreomacular traction: a 2-year follow-upRamzi G Sayegh
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ophthalmology 117:2010-7, 2017.e1-2. 2010..To characterize the morphologic changes in vitreomacular traction (VMT) before and after surgery using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD OCT) and to identify patterns relevant to visual function...
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy with lymphocyte-rich epiretinal membrane associated with poor visual prognosisSatoru Kase
Department of Ophthalmology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:5909-12. 2009..The aim of this study was to analyze lymphocyte infiltration using immunohistochemistry in proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR) membranes...
- Residual internal limiting membrane in epiretinal membrane surgeryK Kifuku
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1 Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1016-9. 2009To examine the degree of the residual internal limiting membrane (ILM) after epiretinal membrane (ERM) peeling.
- Fibrocontractive Müller cell phenotypes in proliferative diabetic retinopathyClyde Guidry
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alabama School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 352994, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:1929-39. 2009..To evaluate Müller cells as a potential source of fibrocontractive cells in proliferative diabetic retinopathy...
- Correlation between morphologic features on spectral-domain optical coherence tomography and angiographic leakage patterns in macular edemaManpreet Brar
Department of Ophthalmology, University of California San Diego, Shiley Eye Center, 0946, Joan and Irwin Jacobs Retina Center, 9415 Campus Point Drive, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Retina 30:383-9. 2010..edema using simultaneous colocalization of fluorescein angiography and spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) images in diabetes, epiretinal membrane, uveitic and pseudophakic cystoid macular edema, and vein occlusion.
- Possible contribution of hyalocytes to idiopathic epiretinal membrane formation and its contractionR i Kohno
Department of Ophthalmology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1020-6. 2009To address the cellular components and the contractile mechanisms of the idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- Prevalence and risk factors for epiretinal membranes in a multi-ethnic United States populationChing Hui Ng
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Ophthalmology 118:694-9. 2011To describe the prevalence of and risk factors for epiretinal membrane (ERM) in a multi-ethnic population and to evaluate possible racial or ethnic differences.
- Assessment of macular function for idiopathic epiretinal membranes classified by spectral-domain optical coherence tomographyJong uk Hwang
Department of Ophthalmology, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:3562-9. 2012To evaluate the functional changes in various morphologic types of idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM) by multifocal electroretinography (mfERG) and spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT).
- Relationship between macular hole size and the potential benefit of internal limiting membrane peelingR Tadayoni
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2, rue Ambroise Pare, Paris, France
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1239-41. 2006..To investigate the relationship between the size of macular holes and the possible benefit of internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling...
- Epiretinal cell proliferation in macular pucker and vitreomacular traction syndrome: analysis of flat-mounted internal limiting membrane specimensFei Zhao
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Retina 33:77-88. 2013..To describe new details of epiretinal cell proliferation in flat-mounted internal limiting membrane specimens...
- The 1-year incidence of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment post 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomyMahta Rasouli
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta
Can J Ophthalmol 47:262-3. 2012The purpose of this study was to evaluate the 1-year incidence of retinal tear or retinal detachment following 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) for epiretinal membrane (ERM), macular hole (MH), or vitreomacular traction (VMT).
- The natural history of lamellar macular holes: a spectral domain optical coherence tomography studyFerdinando Bottoni
Eye Clinic, Department of Clinical Science Luigi Sacco, Sacco Hospital, University of Milan, Via Andrea Verga 8, 20144, Milano, Italy
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 251:467-75. 2013..To study the evolution of lamellar macular holes (LMHs) using spectral domain-optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT)...
- Outer retinal morphology and visual function in patients with idiopathic epiretinal membraneKen Watanabe
Department of Ophthalmology, National Tokyo Medical Center, Tokyo, Japan
JAMA Ophthalmol 131:172-7. 2013To determine the relationship between the morphology of the fovea and visual acuity in patients with an untreated idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- Residual cellular proliferation on the internal limiting membrane in macular pucker surgeryArnd Gandorfer
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Retina 32:477-85. 2012To provide pathology data on the completeness of epiretinal membrane (ERM) removal with and without internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling.
- Lama1 mutations lead to vitreoretinal blood vessel formation, persistence of fetal vasculature, and epiretinal membrane formation in miceMalia M Edwards
The Wilmer Eye Institute, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
BMC Dev Biol 11:60. 2011..These mutants have a persistence of the fetal vasculature of vitreous (FVV) but lack a primary retinal vascular plexus. The present study provides a detailed analysis of astrocyte and vascular development in these Lama1 mutants...
- Idiopathic epiretinal membranes: ultrastructural characteristics and clinicopathologic correlation. 1989William E Smiddy
Retina 25:811-20; discussion 821. 2005
- Lamellar macular hole: a clinicopathologic correlation of surgically excised epiretinal membranesBarbara Parolini
Department of Ophthalmology, Ospedale Sacrocuore Don Calabria, Negrar, Verona, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:9074-83. 2011..To correlate clinical and optical coherence tomographic (OCT) features with morphologic and immunohistochemical findings of epiretinal membranes (ERMs) in lamellar macular holes (LMHs)...
- Quantification of Contrast Recognizability during Brilliant Blue G- and Indocyanine Green-Assisted ChromovitrectomyPaul B Henrich
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:4345-9. 2011..To evaluate the potential of brilliant blue G (BBG) and indocyanine green (ICG) for intraoperative staining of the internal limiting membrane (ILM) with respect to perceivable contrast...
- Preoperative inner segment/outer segment junction in spectral-domain optical coherence tomography as a prognostic factor in epiretinal membrane surgeryMaiko Inoue
Department of Ophthalmology, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Yokohama, Japan
Retina 31:1366-72. 2011To evaluate the macular structure on spectral-domain optical coherence tomographic (SD-OCT) images to predict the outcome of surgery for idiopathic epiretinal membrane.
- Quantitative proteomics of aqueous and vitreous fluid from patients with idiopathic epiretinal membranesAndreas Pollreisz
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Exp Eye Res 108:48-58. 2013..This study is a first step, 'discovery phase' towards revealing and quantitating the protein content in the aqueous and vitreous fluid in human eyes with iERM...
- Incidence and characteristics of macular pucker formation after primary retinal detachment repair by pars plana vitrectomy aloneReshma C Katira
Retina Group of Washington, Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA
Retina 28:744-8. 2008..To evaluate postoperative macular pucker formation in patients who underwent pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) for repair of primary rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RD)...
- [Preoperative assessment of topographic features in macular pucker using high-definition optical coherence tomography]L O Hattenbach
Augenklinik, Klinikum Ludwigshafen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 226:649-53. 2009..In the current study, we sought to investigate whether the surgical removal of macular pucker can be facilitated by the preoperative assessment of topographic features using high-definition optical coherence tomography (HD-OCT)...
- Anatomic and functional outcome after 23-gauge vitrectomy, peeling, and intravitreal triamcinolone for idiopathic macular epiretinal membraneLazaros Konstantinidis
Hopital Ophtalmique Jules Gonin, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Retina 29:1119-27. 2009....
- Pathological changes in the vitreoretinal junction 1: epiretinal membrane formationD R J Snead
Department of Pathology, University Hospital Coventry, Coventry, UK
Eye (Lond) 22:1310-7. 2008b>Epiretinal membrane (ERM) formation is a common change resulting in disturbance of macular vision and predisposing to rhegmatogenous retinal detachment...
- Retinal contraction and metamorphopsia scores in eyes with idiopathic epiretinal membraneEiko Arimura
Department of Ophthalmology, Kinki University School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:2961-6. 2005..software, which was developed to quantify retinal contraction, the authors investigated the relationship between the degree of retinal contraction and the degree of metamorphopsia in eyes with idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- Visual outcomes and complications of epiretinal membrane removal secondary to rhegmatogenous retinal detachmentMatthew D Council
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Ophthalmology 112:1218-21. 2005To examine visual outcomes after surgery for removal of epiretinal membrane after retinal detachment (RD) repair, and to identify possible complications.
- Characteristics and outcomes of choroidal neovascularization occurring after macular hole surgeryHomayoun Tabandeh
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Retina 24:714-20. 2004..To study the characteristics and outcomes of choroidal neovascularization (CNV) developing after surgery for idiopathic macular holes...
- Surgical management of epiretinal membrane in combined hamartomas of the retina and retinal pigment epitheliumXiao Zhang
Department of Ophthalmology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College and Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Retina 30:305-9. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the surgical outcome of combined hamartomas of the retina and retinal pigment epithelium in five patients...
- Three-dimensional spectral-domain optical coherence tomography images of the retina in the presence of epiretinal membranesJohn E Legarreta
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, 1638 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:1023-1030. 2008..To study the inner surface of the retina in the presence of epiretinal membranes (ERMs) using a prototype spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) device...
- Expression of advanced glycation end products and related molecules in diabetic fibrovascular epiretinal membranesAhmed M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 38:57-64; quiz 87. 2010....
- Outcomes of idiopathic macular epiretinal membrane removal with and without internal limiting membrane peeling: a comparative studyJi Woong Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Pusan, Korea
Jpn J Ophthalmol 54:129-34. 2010To compare visual acuity and macular morphology after epiretinal membrane (ERM) removal with and without internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling.
- Morphologically functional correlations of macular pathology connected with epiretinal membrane formation in spectral optical coherence tomography (SOCT)Janusz Michalewski
The Jasne Blonia Eye Clinic, Lodz, Poland
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1623-31. 2007..In our study we use high-speed and high-resolution spectral OCT. Our goal was to present different forms of ERM and to analyze the influence of some morphological changes on visual acuity...
- Functional outcome after trypan blue-assisted vitrectomy for macular pucker: a prospective, randomized, comparative trialChristos Haritoglou
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Mathildenstrasse 8, 80336 Munich, Germany
Am J Ophthalmol 138:1-5. 2004..To evaluate functional outcome after the intraoperative application of 0.06% trypan blue during vitrectomy for macular pucker...
- Incidence of retinal detachment after small-incision, sutureless pars plana vitrectomy compared with conventional 20-gauge vitrectomy in macular hole and epiretinal membrane surgeryStanislao Rizzo
Santa Chiara Hospital, Eye Surgery Clinic, Pisa, Italy
Retina 30:1065-71. 2010..retinal detachment (RD) after a small-incision, sutureless vitrectomy compared with conventional 20-gauge vitrectomy in macular hole and epiretinal membrane surgery and to investigate the clinical features and possible causative agents.
- Expression of myofibroblast activation molecules in proliferative vitreoretinopathy epiretinal membranesAhmed M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Acta Ophthalmol 89:e115-21. 2011..We investigated the expression of molecules involved in myofibroblast activation, migration and proliferation in PVR epiretinal membranes...
- Involvement of Müller glial cells in epiretinal membrane formationAndreas Bringmann
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Leipzig, Eye Hospital, Leipzig, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 247:865-83. 2009..regarding the role of Müller cells in periretinal membrane formation, especially in the early steps of epiretinal membrane formation, which involve an interaction of inflammatory and glial cells, and gives a survey of the factors ..
- Circulating bone-marrow-derived endothelial precursor cells contribute to neovascularization in diabetic epiretinal membranesAhmed M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Acta Ophthalmol 89:222-8. 2011..We investigated the presence of bone-marrow-derived endothelial precursor cells and the expression of the chemotactic pathway SDF-1 ⁄CXCL12)CXCR4 in PDR epiretinal membranes...
- An in vivo evaluation of Brilliant Blue G in animals and humansM Remy
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Mathildenstr 8, 80336 Munich, Germany
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1142-7. 2008..To evaluate the retinal toxicity of Brilliant Blue G (BBG) following intravitreal injection in rat eyes and examine the biocompatibility and the staining properties in humans...
- Epiretinal membrane surgery with or without internal limiting membrane peelingAlvin Kh Kwok
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong Eye Hospital, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 33:379-85. 2005The purpose of the present paper was to evaluate the visual outcome and recurrence rate of epiretinal membrane (ERM) formation following vitreoretinal surgery with and without internal limiting membrane (ILM) peel.
- Functional assessment of the possible toxicity of indocyanine green dye in macular hole surgeryMária Ferencz
Department of Ophthalmology, Mária Street, Faculty of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Am J Ophthalmol 142:765-70. 2006..To evaluate the possible toxicity of indocyanine green (ICG) dye in macular hole surgery by comparing functional results after successful surgeries performed with and without staining...
- Pathobiology of epiretinal and subretinal membranes: possible roles for the matricellular proteins thrombospondin 1 and osteonectin (SPARC)P Hiscott
Unit of Ophthalmology Department of Medicine University of Liverpool Liverpool, UK
Eye (Lond) 16:393-403. 2002....
- Incidence of endophthalmitis after 20-gauge vs 23-gauge vs 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomyIngrid U Scott
Departments of Ophthalmology and Public Health Sciences, Penn State College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, HU19, Hershey, PA 17083 0850, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 249:377-80. 2011..To compare endophthalmitis rates after 20-gauge versus 23-gauge versus 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) in 2007-2008, and compare the rates with those of 2005-2006...
- Bevacizumab (Avastin) for diabetic macular edema in previously vitrectomized eyesAtes Yanyali
Department of Ophthalmology, Haydarpasa Numune Education and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Am J Ophthalmol 144:124-6. 2007..To report the visual acuity (VA) and foveal thickness (FT) changes after intravitreal bevacizumab for diabetic macular edema (DME) in previously vitrectomized eyes...
- Macular pucker removal with and without internal limiting membrane peeling: pilot studyDonald W Park
Retina Consultants of Arizona, Mesa, Arizona 85201, USA
Ophthalmology 110:62-4. 2003..To investigate results of macular pucker surgery with and without internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling...
- Intraoperative use of handheld spectral domain optical coherence tomography imaging in macular surgeryPouya N Dayani
Department of Ophthalmology, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Retina 29:1457-68. 2009..To describe the intraoperative use of handheld spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SDOCT) imaging in macular surgery...
- Internal limiting membrane peeling in macular hole surgeryW E Smiddy
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA
Ophthalmology 108:1471-6; discussion 1477-8. 2001..To evaluate prospectively the ability to peel epiretinal membranes and to correlate the degree of membrane peeling to anatomic success rates...
- Dissociated optic nerve fiber layer appearance of the fundus after idiopathic epiretinal membrane removalR Tadayoni
Department of Ophthalmology, , , Assistance Publique, , , 75010 Paris, France
Ophthalmology 108:2279-83. 2001PURPOSE: To report the appearance of the fundus, that is seen frequently after removal of an idiopathic epiretinal membrane and which we refer to as the dissociated optic nerve fiber layer appearance...
- Double staining with brilliant blue G and double peeling for epiretinal membranesHiroyuki Shimada
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Nihon University, Surugadai, Kanda, Chiyodaku, Tokyo, Japan
Ophthalmology 116:1370-6. 2009..To compare methods of removing epiretinal membranes (ERM) and evaluate the usefulness of the double brilliant blue G (BBG) staining and double-peeling method...
- Incidence of endophthalmitis after 20- and 25-gauge vitrectomyDerek Y Kunimoto
Retina Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Ophthalmology 114:2133-7. 2007..To assess the incidence rate of endophthalmitis after 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy and to compare it with the endophthalmitis rate after 20-gauge pars plana vitrectomy...
- Prevalence and associations of epiretinal membranes in the visual impairment projectDaniel J McCarty
Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation, Marshfield, Wisconsin 54449, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 140:288-94. 2005..To determine the prevalence and factors associated with epiretinal membranes in a random sample of the population aged 40 years and older in Victoria, Australia...
- Outcome results in macular hole surgery: an evaluation of internal limiting membrane peeling with and without indocyanine greenTom G Sheidow
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Ophthalmology 110:1697-701. 2003..To evaluate the anatomic closure rate and visual outcome in patients undergoing pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) with internal limiting membrane (ILM) peeling with and without indocyanine green (ICG) enhancement...
- Circulating fibrocytes contribute to the myofibroblast population in proliferative vitreoretinopathy epiretinal membranesA M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Br J Ophthalmol 92:699-704. 2008..We investigated the presence of fibrocytes and the expression of their chemotactic pathways CCL21/CCR7 and CXCL12/CXCR4 in proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR) epiretinal membranes...
- The significance of cone outer segment tips as a prognostic factor in epiretinal membrane surgeryMasataka Shimozono
Department of Ophthalmology, Kobe City Medical Center General Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 153:698-704, 704.e1. 2012To evaluate the prognostic value of the cone outer segment tips (COST) and other features using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) in patients undergoing epiretinal membrane (ERM) surgery.
- Prognostic factors in vitrectomy for lamellar macular hole assessed by spectral-domain optical coherence tomographyChristopher S Lee
The Institute of Vision Research, Department of Ophthalmology, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Ophthalmol 90:e597-602. 2012..To evaluate the association between the macular structure on spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-CT) and visual outcome after vitrectomy for lamellar macular hole (LMH)...
- Long-term surgical outcomes after vitrectomy for symptomatic lamellar macular holesSung J Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Soonchunhyang University, Seoul, Korea
Retina 32:1743-8. 2012..To determine long-term surgical findings and outcomes after vitrectomy for symptomatic lamellar macular holes...
- Associations between metamorphopsia and foveal microstructure in patients with epiretinal membraneFumiki Okamoto
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53:6770-5. 2012To investigate the relationship between the severity of metamorphopsia and the foveal microstructure measured with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) in patients with epiretinal membrane (ERM).
- The impact of optical coherence tomography on surgical decision making in epiretinal membrane and vitreomacular tractionDiana V Do
Retina Division, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 104:161-6. 2006....
- [Changes in subfoveal choroidal thickness of epiretinal membrane and macular hole before and after microincision vitrectomy surgery]Atsushi Fujiwara
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa Ken 761 0793, Japan
Nihon Ganka Gakkai Zasshi 116:1080-5. 2012To evaluate the subfoveal choroidal thickness (SCT) of the epiretinal membrane (ERM) and macular hole (MH) both before and after microincision vitrectomy surgery.
- Association of preoperative optical coherence tomography markers with residual inner limiting membrane in epiretinal membrane peelingGerald Seidel
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Graz, Graz, Austria
PLoS ONE 8:e66217. 2013To identify preoperative markers on spectral domain optical coherence tomography (SD-OCT) for residual inner limiting membrane (ILM) in epiretinal membrane (ERM) peeling.
- Epiretinal membrane removal in eyes with good visual acuitiesJohn T Thompson
Greater Baltimore Medical Center, Baltimore, MD 21204, USA
Retina 25:875-82. 2005To evaluate the results of vitrectomy for epiretinal membrane in eyes with a preoperative visual acuity of 20/50 or better.
- Prevalence and associations of epiretinal membranes in an adult Japanese population: the Funagata studyR Kawasaki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Yamagata University Faculty of Medicine, Yamagata, Japan
Eye (Lond) 23:1045-51. 2009..To determine the prevalence and risk factors of epiretinal membranes (ERM) in a Japanese population...
- A new 25-gauge instrument system for transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy surgeryGildo Y Fujii
Microsurgery Advanced Design Laboratory, Doheny Eye Institute, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
Ophthalmology 109:1807-12; discussion 1813. 2002..To introduce and evaluate the infusion and aspiration rates and operative times of the 25-gauge transconjunctival sutureless vitrectomy system (TSV) DESIGN: In vitro experimental and comparative interventional study...
- Epiretinal membranes after extracapsular cataract surgery(1)C E Jahn
Augenpraxisklinik, Kempten, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 27:753-60. 2001..To determine whether uneventful extracapsular cataract extraction (ECCE) with posterior chamber intraocular lens (PC IOL) implantation induces epiretinal membranes (ERMs)...
- Pars Plana vitrectomy and epiretinal membrane peeling for vitreoretinal traction associated with combined hamartoma of the retina and retinal pigment epithelium (CHRRPE)L Konstantinidis
Jules Gonin Eye Hospital, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:356-9. 2007..appear slightly elevated and are characterised by varying amounts of pigmentation, vascular tortuosity, and epiretinal membrane formation that can be related to macular distortion...
- Alphab-crystallin expression in epiretinal membrane of human proliferative diabetic retinopathyZhenyu Dong
Laboratory of Ocular Cell Biology and Visual Science, Department of Ophthalmology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Japan
Retina 32:1190-6. 2012To examine the expression of alphaB-crystallin and its colocalization with vascular endothelial growth factor in the epiretinal membrane of human proliferative diabetic retinopathy.
- Direct comparison of the migration of three cell types involved in epiretinal membrane formationPenny A Hogg
St Paul s Unit of Ophthalmology, Department of Medicine, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:2749-57. 2002..pigment epithelial (RPE) cells, retinal glial (RG) cells, and fibroblasts (the cell types crucial in epiretinal membrane [ERM] formation) under identical microenvironmental conditions and thus to identify potential target areas ..
- Correlation between thickening of the inner and outer retina and visual acuity in patients with epiretinal membraneShigeta Arichika
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Shogoin, Sakyo ku, Kyoto, Japan
Retina 30:503-8. 2010The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between thickening of the inner and outer retinal layers and visual acuity in patients with idiopathic epiretinal membrane.
- Intravitreous hepatocyte growth factor in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy: a case-control studyRafael Simo
Diabetes Research Unit, Endocrinology Division, Hospital Univesitari Vall d Hebron, Pg Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 71:36-44. 2006..Our findings suggest that HGF is related to pathological conditions in which fibroproliferative processes or wound healing are involved rather than with angiogenesis itself...
- The long-term anatomical and visual effect of intravitreal triamcinolone injection during vitrectomy for the treatment of idiopathic macular epiretinal membraneChi Chun Lai
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkuo Medical Center, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 30:292-7. 2011To compare the long-term anatomical and visual outcomes of patients with idiopathic epiretinal membrane (ERM) removed by vitrectomy and membrane peeling with or without the use of intravitreal injection of triamcinolone acetonide (IVTA).
- Idiopathic and secondary epiretinal membranes: do they differ in terms of morphology? An optical coherence tomography-based studyAhmet T Yazici
Beyoglu Eye Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Retina 31:779-84. 2011..The purpose of this study was to define the morphologic differences in idiopathic and secondary epiretinal membranes (ERMs) using a time domain optical coherence tomography...
- Gene expression profile of fibrovascular membranes from patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathyShigeo Yoshida
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyushu University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Fukuoka, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 94:795-801. 2010..The purpose of this study was to generate a profile of genes expressed in preretinal fibrovascular membranes (FVMs) from patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy...
- Prevalence and associations of epiretinal membranes in a rural Chinese adult population: the Handan Eye StudyXin Rong Duan
Beijing Tongren Eye Center, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences Key Lab, Beijing, China
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2018-23. 2009..To determine the prevalence and association of epiretinal membranes (ERMs), as assessed by retinal photography and optical coherence tomography (OCT), in a Chinese population...
- Surgical removal of idiopathic epiretinal membrane with or without the assistance of indocyanine green: a randomised controlled clinical trialJost Hillenkamp
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:973-9. 2007To carry out a prospective investigation of the functional and morphological outcome of idiopathic epiretinal membrane (IEM) surgery with or without the assistance of indocyanine green (ICG) in a randomised controlled clinical trial.
- Incidence and clinical characteristics of epiretinal membranes in childrenHena A Khaja
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:632-6. 2008..To describe the incidence and clinical characteristics of epiretinal membranes (ERMs) in children...
- Visual function and quality of life following vitrectomy and epiretinal membrane peel surgeryS M S Ghazi-Nouri
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, UK
Br J Ophthalmol 90:559-62. 2006To investigate the effect of epiretinal membrane (ERM) peel on patients' health related quality of life (HR-QOL) and to explore the association between self reported HR-QOL and conventional measures of visual function.
- Intraoperative characteristics of the posterior vitreous cortex in patients with epiretinal membraneToshifumi Yamashita
Department of Ophthalmology, Kagoshima City Hospital, 20 17 Kajiya cho, Kagoshima 892 8580, Japan
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:333-7. 2008..The aim of the study was to investigate the intraoperative characteristics of the posterior vitreous cortex in patients with epiretinal membranes...
- Racial difference in the prevalence of epiretinal membrane between Caucasians and AsiansR Kawasaki
Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Australia
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1320-4. 2008..To describe the prevalence and risk factors of epiretinal membranes (ERM) in Asian Malays and to compare this with a white population...
- QUALITY OF LIFE AND COST EFFECTIVENESS IN CMV RETINITISJohn Kempen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Subanalyses will assess what factors other than treatment strategy are associated with improved QOL and cost-effectiveness. ..
- Visual outcomes & quality of life in CMV retinitisJennifer Thorne; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Genetic Regulation of Eye Development in ZebrafishJeff Gross; Fiscal Year: 2012..Syndrome (BCNS), a disorder that presents with ocular defects that include the formation of a glia-derived epiretinal membrane, retinal dysplasia and colobomas...
- Defining the molecular mechanisms underlying human RPE plasticitySally Temple; Fiscal Year: 2013..Disruption of RPE stability is known to occur in several important retinal diseases such as epiretinal membrane formation, macular degeneration and phthsis bulbii, and understanding this plasticity will provide novel ..
- Intraoperative Optical Coherence Tomography for Ophthalmic SurgeryJustis Ehlers; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., cataract surgery, corneal transplantation, macular hole surgery, epiretinal membrane surgery)...
- EXPERIMENTAL MASSIVE PERIRETINAL PROLIFERATIONWalter Stern; Fiscal Year: 1991The purpose of this project is to develop clinically useful methods of inhibiting epiretinal membrane formation and contraction...
- INSTRUMENT TO MEASURE VISUAL GLARE DISABILITYPeter Magnante; Fiscal Year: 1993..with no retinal problems, and 6) elderly with cataracts of any type and also presenting retinal drusen or epiretinal membrane formation...
- Eye Disease in Cuban-American and Puerto Rican AdultsIngrid Scott; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. NEI-VFQ 25) and eye service use. Subjects who refuse will be questioned as to reason(s) for refusal. ..
- New Tool to Study Neurochemical Modulation of FeedingSCOTT SHIPPY; Fiscal Year: 2005..The unique capabilities of low-flow push-pull perfusion complement other sampling methodologies and are widely applicable to in vivo sampling studies. ..
- In Vivo Sampling to Study the Neurobiology of GluacomaSCOTT SHIPPY; Fiscal Year: 2005..Further, the ability to characterize chemical composition at the retina demonstrated in this study may be applicable to innovative studies of other diseases of the retina. ..
- HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGING OF OCULAR MELANOMA AND RETINADirk Uwe Bartsch; Fiscal Year: 2003..Since we can measure and characterize these aberrations, we can develop digital inverse filter based on our experience in image reconstruction to correct the acquired images. ..
- Apoptosis in Retinal DetachmentsDavid Zacks; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will allow us to develop and test new neuroprotective therapies for improving visual outcomes in retinal disease. ..
- The Insulin-Like Growth Factor System and Muller CellsClyde Guidry; Fiscal Year: 2009..Information gained from this study will improve our understanding of fibrocontractive retinal diseases and should represent a significant gain toward control of proliferative complications associated with diabetic retinopathy. ..