Genomes and Genes
Summary: Excessive winking; tonic or clonic spasm of the orbicularis oculi muscle.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications221 found, 100 shown here
- Blepharospasm: recent advancesMark Hallett
Human Motor Control Section, NINDS, NIH, Building 10, Room 5N226, 10 Center Dr, MSC 1428, Bethesda, MD 20892 1428, USA
Neurology 59:1306-12. 2002Benign essential blepharospasm is a common focal dystonia characterized by involuntary eyelid closure...
- Relationship between various clinical outcome assessments in patients with blepharospasmJoseph Jankovic
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mov Disord 24:407-13. 2009..the metric properties of the Jankovic Rating Scale (JRS) and a self-rating patient response outcome scale, the Blepharospasm Disability Index (BSDI), in blepharospasm patients...
- Temporal discrimination thresholds in adult-onset primary torsion dystonia: an analysis by task type and by dystonia phenotypeD Bradley
Department of Neurology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
J Neurol 259:77-82. 2012..To investigate phenotypes, we examined 71 AOPTD patients (37 cervical dystonia, 14 writer's cramp, 9 blepharospasm, 11 spasmodic dysphonia) and 8 musician's dystonia patients...
- Update on blepharospasm: report from the BEBRF International WorkshopMark Hallett
Human Motor Control Section, NINDS, NIH, 10 Center Drive MSC 1428, Bethesda, MD 20892 1428, USA
Neurology 71:1275-82. 2008This review updates understanding and research on blepharospasm, a subtype of focal dystonia. Topics covered include clinical aspects, pathology, pathophysiology, animal models, dry eye, photophobia, epidemiology, genetics, and treatment...
- Decreased dopamine D receptor binding in essential blepharospasmC Horie
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University Graduate School, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Neurol Scand 119:49-54. 2009The purpose of this study was to investigate whether dopamine D(2) receptor binding was altered in the striatum of essential blepharospasm patients.
- Intracortical excitability in the hand motor representation in hand dystonia and blepharospasmMartin Sommer
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Mov Disord 17:1017-25. 2002..In 15 patients with hand dystonia, 16 patients with blepharospasm, and age-matched controls, we applied suprathreshold transcranial magnetic stimuli with a figure-eight coil ..
- Relationship between eye symptoms and blepharospasm: a multicenter case-control studyDavide Martino
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Mov Disord 20:1564-70. 2005Although patients with primary blepharospasm (BSP) commonly report experiencing ocular symptoms before the onset of orbicular spasms, the precise frequency and pathogenic role of this subjective ocular discomfort are poorly understood...
- Craniocervical dystonia questionnaire (CDQ-24): development and validation of a disease-specific quality of life instrumentJ Muller
University Hospital of Neurology, Innsbruck, Austria University Hospital of Psychiatry, Innsbruck, Austria
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:749-53. 2004..To develop and test a questionnaire for measuring quality of life in patients with craniocervical dystonia...
- Double-blind, randomised, parallel group pilot study comparing two botulinum toxin type A products for the treatment of blepharospasmBettina Wabbels
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Abbestr 2, 53127, Bonn, Germany
J Neural Transm 118:233-9. 2011Botulinum neurotoxins (BoNTs) are the primary treatment for focal dystonias such as blepharospasm. Several different BoNT products are available in various countries...
- The impact of blepharospasm and cervical dystonia on health-related quality of life and depressionJ Muller
Department of Neurology, Innsbruck University Hospital, Anichstr 35, Austria
J Neurol 249:842-6. 2002..of the study was to evaluate and compare health-related quality of life (HR-QoL) and depression in essential blepharospasm (BSP) and idiopathic cervical dystonia (CD), to identify the clinical and demographic factors associated with ..
- Long-term follow-up of patients with frontalis sling operation in the treatment of essential blepharospasm unresponsive to botulinum toxin therapyBettina Wabbels
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Klinikum, Abbestrasse 2, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:45-50. 2007Botulinum toxin is the treatment of choice in patients with essential blepharospasm, but about 4% of patients show no sufficient effect. Many of these patients try to open their eyes by innervating their frontalis muscle...
- Safety, effectiveness, and duration of effect of BOTOX after switching from Dysport for blepharospasm, cervical dystonia, and hemifacial spasm dystonia, and hemifacial spasmKatalin Bihari
Institute of Neurosurgery, Budapest, Hungary
Curr Med Res Opin 21:433-8. 2005Local injection of botulinum toxin type A is first-line treatment of blepharospasm, cervical dystonia, and hemifacial spasm; however, there is uncertainty about the optimal dose of toxin for each indication as well as dose-conversion ..
- Upper lid orbicularis oculi muscle strip and sequential brow suspension with autologous fascia lata is beneficial for selected patients with essential blepharospasmB Patil
Department of Ophthalmology, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham University, Nottingham, UK
Eye (Lond) 23:1549-53. 2009Severe cases of blepharospasm resistant to botulinum toxin represent a challenging clinical problem...
- Assessment of blepharospasm surgery using an improved disability scale: study of 138 patientsDamien Grivet
Department of Ophthalmology, Bellevue Hospital, Saint Etienne, France
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 21:230-4. 2005To assess a new scale for grading functional disability in a series of patients operated on for blepharospasm resistant to treatment by botulinum toxin (BT) injections.
- Transcranial magnetic brain stimulation modulates blepharospasm: a randomized controlled studyG Kranz
Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Neurology 75:1465-71. 2010Benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) is a common form of focal dystonia. Besides pathology in the basal ganglia, accumulating evidence suggests pathologic changes in the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC).
- Comparison of two different formulations of botulinum toxin A for the treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmChuan Jie Wu
The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University, Department of Neurology, Zhengzhou, China
Turk Neurosurg 21:625-9. 2011..CA, USA) in the treatment of blepharospasm (BS) and hemifacial spasm (HFS).
- Efficacy and safety of a new Botulinum Toxin Type A free of complexing proteins in the treatment of blepharospasmP Roggenkämper
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, Wiesbaden, Germany
J Neural Transm 113:303-12. 2006..Phase III trial, we compared the efficacy and safety of NT 201 and BOTOX in patients suffering from blepharospasm. Of 304 enrolled patients, 300 patients received study medication (intent-to-treat population), and 256 ..
- Upper eyelid myectomy in blepharospasm with associated apraxia of lid openingDan Georgescu
Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 145:541-547. 2008To assess the impact of upper eyelid myectomy surgery on blepharospasm with associated apraxia of lid opening (ALO), dry eye, photophobia, and daily functioning in patients who are refractory to botulinum toxin treatment.
- Cognitive disturbances in primary blepharospasmGabriela Gonzalez Alemán
Parkinson s Disease and Movement Disorders Program, Hospital de Clinicas Jose de San Martin, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mov Disord 24:2112-20. 2009..However, no systematic cognitive performance evaluation has been carried out in patients with primary blepharospasm (BS), one of the most common forms of adult dystonia...
- The phenomenology of the geste antagoniste in primary blepharospasm and cervical dystoniaDavide Martino
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Italy
Mov Disord 25:407-12. 2010..a representative clinical series of patients with the two most common forms of adult-onset primary dystonia, blepharospasm (BSP) and cervical dystonia (CD)...
- Effectivity of Dysport in patients with blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm who experienced failure with BotoxSamih Badarny
Movement Disorders Clinic, Neurology Department, Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 10:520-2. 2008..Primary therapy failure with botulinum toxin is less common and poorly understood...
- Quality of life in patients with blepharospasmO Tucha
Department of Neuropsychology, University of Regensburg, Germany
Acta Neurol Scand 103:49-52. 2001OBJECTIVES: Administration of botulinum neurotoxin A (BONT/A) is a common and effective treatment of blepharospasm. There is, however, no information regarding the emotional and social well-being of patients with blepharospasm and ..
- The control of blepharospasm by essential fatty acidsD I Mostofsky
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Neuropsychobiology 41:154-7. 2000..This condition mimics the human disorder, blepharospasm, which often accompanies parkinsonism and other dopamine deficiency disorders...
- Familial blepharospasm is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait and relates to a novel unassigned geneGiovanni Defazio
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Mov Disord 18:207-12. 2003b>Blepharospasm (BSP) is a common form of primary torsion dystonia (PTD). Although most cases are sporadic, an increased familial incidence of BSP has been reported. Precisely how blepharospasm is inherited remains unclear...
- Gray matter density increase in the primary sensorimotor cortex in long-term essential blepharospasmYukihisa Suzuki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Neuroimage 56:1-7. 2011In this study, we investigated gray matter density in essential blepharospasm (EB) patients, focusing on the duration of disease and severity of symptoms. We studied 32 patients (10 males and 22 females; age, 55.0 ± 6...
- Assessing the role of DRD5 and DYT1 in two different case-control series with primary blepharospasmJordi Clarimon
Molecular Genetics Unit, Laboratory of Neurogenetics, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Mov Disord 22:162-6. 2007Primary blepharospasm is a common adult-onset focal dystonia. Polymorphisms of the genes encoding TorsinA (DYT1) and the D5 dopamine receptor (DRD5) have previously been associated with lifetime risk for focal dystonia...
- Quantitative changes in botulinum toxin a treatment over time in patients with essential blepharospasm and idiopathic hemifacial spasmMoshe Snir
Department of Ophthalmology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Tel Aviv, Israel
Am J Ophthalmol 136:99-105. 2003To evaluate the quantitative changes in botulinum toxin A (BTA) treatment required over time to achieve relief for 3 to 4 months in patients with essential blepharospasm (EBS) and idiopathic hemifacial spasm (IHFS).
- Low-dose botulinum toxin a for treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmAnuchit Poonyathalang
Jpn J Ophthalmol 49:327-8. 2005
- Botulinum toxin in blepharospasm and oromandibular dystonia: comparing different botulinum toxin preparationsR Bhidayasiri
Division of Neurology, Chulalongkorn University Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
Eur J Neurol 13:21-9. 2006..Whilst blepharospasm--involuntary bilateral eye closure--is produced by spasmodic contractions of the orbicularis oculi muscles, ..
- Positron emission tomography scanning in essential blepharospasmJohn B Kerrison
Department of Ophthalmology, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Lackland, Texas, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:846-52. 2003To localize in the brain using positron emission tomography neuroimaging with (18)fluorodeoxyglucose [PET ((18)FDG)] differences in glucose metabolism between patients with essential blepharospasm (EB) and controls.
- The blink reflex recovery cycle differs between essential and presumed psychogenic blepharospasmP Schwingenschuh
UCL Institute of Neurology, London WC1N 3BG, UK
Neurology 76:610-4. 2011Psychogenic blepharospasm is difficult to distinguish clinically from benign essential blepharospasm (BEB). The blink reflex recovery cycle measures the excitability of human brainstem interneurons and is abnormal in BEB...
- Cortical gray matter changes in primary blepharospasm: a voxel-based morphometry studyDavide Martino
Neurological Section, Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Mov Disord 26:1907-12. 2011Previous voxel-based morphometry studies of patients with primary blepharospasm documented gray matter volumetric differences of the striatum, cerebellum, thalamus, and parietal lobe areas...
- Lack of effect of botulinum toxin on cortical excitability in patients with cranial dystoniaNasser Allam
Movement Disorders Unit, Hospital de Base do Distrito Federal, Brasilia, DF, Brazil
Clin Neuropharmacol 28:1-5. 2005..BTX injection improved blepharospasm in all patients...
- Photophobia in essential blepharospasm--a positron emission tomographic studyHirofumi Emoto
Positron Medical Center, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Gerontology, Itabashi ku, Tokyo, Japan
Mov Disord 25:433-9. 2010To localize regional alterations in cerebral glucose metabolism in essential blepharospasm (EB) patients with photophobia. We have studied 22 EB patients by performing positron emission tomography and [(18)F]-fluorodeoxyglucose analysis...
- Blepharospasm and the modulation of cortical excitability in primary and secondary motor areasG Kranz
Human Motor Control Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Neurology 73:2031-6. 2009Traditionally, benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) is considered a disorder caused by basal ganglia dysfunction...
- The TOR1A polymorphism rs1182 and the risk of spread in primary blepharospasmGiovanni Defazio
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Policlinico, Piazza Giulio Cesare, Bari 1 70124, Italy
Mov Disord 24:613-6. 2009..TOR1A gene on the risk of dystonia spread in two representative cohorts of patients presenting with primary blepharospasm (BSP), one from Italy and the other from the United States of America...
- Dry eye, blinking, and blepharospasmCraig Evinger
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, SUNY Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
Mov Disord 17:S75-8. 2002
- Botulinum toxin for blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm: stability of duration of effect and dosage over timeG T Drummond
Pediatric Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus Unit, University of Alberta, Edmonton
Can J Ophthalmol 36:398-403. 2001..METHODS: We reviewed the charts of 28 patients (17 with benign essential blepharospasm and 11 with hemifacial spasm) seen between 1989 and 1994 by one ophthalmologist at the botulinum clinic at a ..
- Pathophysiology and treatment of cranial dystoniaAlfredo Berardelli
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Rome La Sapienza and Istituto Neurologico Mediterraneo Neuromed, IRCCS, Pozzilli, Italy
Mov Disord 17:S70-4. 2002
- Fifteen-year experience in treating blepharospasm with Botox or Dysport: same toxin, two drugsA R Bentivoglio
Istituto di Neurologia Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Largo Agostino Gemelli, 8 00168 Rome, Italy
Neurotox Res 15:224-31. 2009To compare the clinical characteristics and the long-term outcome of a large series of patients with blepharospasm (BS) treated with the two most used brands of BoNT-A over the last 15 years.
- Bell's palsy-induced blepharospasmHideto Miwa
Department of Neurology, Wakayama Medical University, Kimiidera, Wakayama, Japan
J Neurol 249:452-4. 2002We report two patients with blepharospasm that appeared during the recovery phase of Bell's palsy...
- Evidence of widespread impairment of motor cortical inhibition in focal dystonia: a transcranial magnetic stimulation study in patients with blepharospasm and cervical dystoniaRaif Cakmur
Department of Neurology, Dokuz Eylul University, Medical School, Izmir, Turkey
Adv Neurol 94:37-44. 2004
- Long-term efficacy of botulinum a toxin for blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmHarmeet S Gill
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University Health Network and the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 37:631-6. 2010To determine whether the duration of relief from symptoms in patients with essential blepharospasm (EB) or hemifacial spasm (HFS) who receive serial treatments with botulinum toxin type A (BtA) changes over the long-term.
- Prevalence of primary blepharospasm in Sardinia, Italy: a service-based surveyGiovanni Cossu
Neurology Service and Stroke Unit, General Hospital S Michele AOB G Brotzu, Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy
Mov Disord 21:2005-8. 2006We performed a service-based epidemiological study of primary blepharospasm in the island of Sardinia (Italy)...
- Improvement of blepharospasm with ZolpidemNélida Susana Garretto
Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Neurology, J M Ramos Mejia Hospital, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mov Disord 19:967-8. 2004Zolpidem (ZLP) is an imidazopyridine that binds to GABA receptors. We report on improvement of blepharospasm in 3 patients treated with ZLP...
- Health-related quality of life and psychosocial characteristics of patients with benign essential blepharospasmTyler Andrew Hall
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Suite 609, 700 S 18th Street, Birmingham, AL 35294 0009, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 124:116-9. 2006To examine vision-targeted health-related quality of life and psychosocial characteristics in patients with benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) compared with patients with hemifacial spasm (HFS).
- Enhanced long-term potentiation-like plasticity of the trigeminal blink reflex circuit in blepharospasmAngelo Quartarone
Department of Neurosciences, University of Messina, 98125 Messina, Italy
J Neurosci 26:716-21. 2006Benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) is a focal cranial dystonia affecting eye closure. Here, we tested the hypothesis that BEB is associated with abnormal plasticity of the neuronal circuits mediating reflex blinks...
- Efficacy and safety of incobotulinumtoxinA (NT 201, Xeomin) in the treatment of blepharospasm-a randomized trialJoseph Jankovic
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Mov Disord 26:1521-8. 2011..up to 50 U per eye) to placebo administered in a single treatment session to patients with blepharospasm. All patients had documented satisfactory response to 2 previous treatments with botulinum neurotoxin type A ..
- Long-term efficacy of botulinum toxin A for treatment of blepharospasm, hemifacial spasm, and spastic entropion: a multicentre study using two drug-dose escalation indexesS Cillino
Dipartimento Universitario di Neuroscienze Cliniche, Sezione di Oftalmologia, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Eye (Lond) 24:600-7. 2010..the long-term effectiveness and safety of botulinum neurotoxin A (BoNT-A) treatment in patients with blepharospasm (BEB), hemifacial spasm (HFS), and entropion (EN) and to use for the first time two modified indexes, 'botulin ..
- Comparison of preseptal and pretarsal injections of botulinum toxin in the treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmRaif Cakmur
Dokuz Eylul Universitesi, Tip Fakultesi, Noroloji Klinigi, Inciralti Izmir, Turkey
J Neurol 249:64-8. 2002..the beneficial effect of subcutaneous injections of botulinum toxin type A (BTX-A) is well known in both blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm, the position of the injection sites around the orbicularis oculi may influence the ..
- Retrospective evaluation of the dose of Dysport and BOTOX in the management of cervical dystonia and blepharospasm: the REAL DOSE studyAlbert Marchetti
Thomson Health Economics Research, Secaucus, New Jersey, USA
Mov Disord 20:937-44. 2005..of this study is to evaluate the real-world dose utilization of Dysport and BOTOX for cervical dystonia and blepharospasm. Six investigational sites (five countries) were identified...
- Health-related quality of life in blepharospasm or hemifacial spasmJ Reimer
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University of Hamburg, Hamburg
Acta Neurol Scand 111:64-70. 2005..Health-related quality of life (HRQL) has become an important outcome criterion of medical interventions, but was hardly studied in patients with facial spasms...
- Silent event-related fMRI reveals deficient motor and enhanced somatosensory activation in orofacial dystoniaChristian Dresel
Department of Neurology, Neurologisches Krankenhaus Muenchen, Germany
Brain 129:36-46. 2006..We used a whistling task and silent event-related fMRI to investigate functional changes in patients with blepharospasm and patients with a combination of blepharospasm and oromandibular dystonia (Meige's syndrome)...
- A new grading system for assessing orbicularis muscle functionR Rahman
The Royal Eye Infirmary, Plymouth, UK
Eye (Lond) 17:610-2. 2003To establish an objective parameter (orbicularis function) to measure the efficacy of botulinum toxin treatment in weakening the orbicularis of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm sufferers.
- Electrical activation of the orbicularis oculi muscle does not increase the effectiveness of botulinum toxin type A in patients with blepharospasmA Conte
Department of Neurological Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurol 17:449-55. 2010..activation of the injected muscle increases effectiveness of botulinum type A toxin (BonT-A) in patients with blepharospasm (BPS)...
- A functional magnetic resonance imaging study in patients with benign essential blepharospasmRobert S Baker
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 23:11-5. 2003..blinking-induced functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) activation patterns in five benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) patients and five age-matched control subjects...
- Videonystagmography as a tool to assess blepharospasm before and after botulinum toxin injectionGuillaume Casse
Ophthalmology Department, CHU Dupuytren, 2 Av Martin Luther King, 87042 Limoges Cedex, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 246:1307-14. 2008The aim of this paper was to study blinking parameters using a videonystagmography device, in order to objectively determine disability, and to assess the efficiency of botulinum toxin injection in patients with essential blepharospasm.
- Diffusion tensor imaging in patients with primary cervical dystonia and in patients with blepharospasmG Fabbrini
Department of Neurological Sciences and Neuromed Institute IRCCS, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Eur J Neurol 15:185-9. 2008..We studied 18 patients with cervical dystonia (CD), 16 with blepharospasm (BSP) and 35 years age-matched healthy controls. DTI data were obtained with a Philips 1...
- Videonystagmography to assess eyelid dynamic disordersGuillaume Casse
Ophthalmology Department, CHU Dupuytren, Cedex, France
Orbit 28:20-4. 2009Apply a videonystagmography (VNG) device to study indirectly blinking in patients with essential blepharospasm.
- Tactile temporal discrimination in patients with blepharospasmM Fiorio
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche e della Visione, Sez Neurologia Riabilitativa, Universitè di Verona, Via Casorati 43, 37131 Verona, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:796-8. 2008b>Blepharospasm is an adult-onset focal dystonia that causes involuntary blinking and eyelid spasms. Studies have shown the presence of sensory deficits associated with dystonia.
- Clinical efficacy and tolerability of Xeomin in the treatment of blepharospasmJ Jankovic
Department of Neurology, Parkinson s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Eur J Neurol 16:14-8. 2009b>Blepharospasm is classified as a focal dystonia, and botulinum toxin type A (BoNT/A) has been shown to be a highly effective and well-tolerated symptomatic treatment...
- High versus low concentration botulinum toxin A for benign essential blepharospasm: does dilution make a difference?Michael H Boyle
Alabama Ophthalmology Associates, P C, Division of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 25:81-4. 2009To evaluate the efficacy and side effects of concentrated versus dilute botulinum toxin A in treating benign essential blepharospasm.
- Double-blind, randomized, comparative study of Meditoxin versus Botox in the treatment of essential blepharospasmJin Sook Yoon
Department of Ophthalmology, Institute of Vision Research, University of Yonsei, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 23:137-41. 2009To compare the efficacies and safeties of Meditoxin (Medy-Tox, Korea) and Botox in the treatment of essential blepharospasm.
- Prospective, randomized, double-blind study, comparing botulinum toxins type a botox and prosigne for blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm treatmentElizabeth Maria Aparecida Barasnevicius Quagliato
Neurology Department, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas da Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin Neuropharmacol 33:27-31. 2010Botulinum toxin A (BTA) is considered an effective treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm, but there are few studies to permit a comparison of its different formulations...
- Headache and facial pain responsive to botulinum toxin: an unusual presentation of blepharospasmS J Johnstone
Department of Neurology, Barrow Neurologic Institute, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Headache 38:366-8. 1998The diagnosis of blepharospasm is rarely considered in patients complaining of face pain or headache...
- Efficacy and safety of purified botulinum toxin type A (Dysport) for the treatment of benign essential blepharospasm: a randomized, placebo-controlled, phase II trialDaniel Truong
The Parkinson s and Movement Disorder Institute, Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center, 9940 Talbert Ave 204, Fountain Valley, CA 92708, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 14:407-14. 2008The majority of studies on the effects of botulinum toxin in blepharospasm patients have been small or unblinded...
- Co-occurence of blepharospasm, tourettism and obsessive-compulsive symptoms during lamotrigine treatmentTunc Alkin
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1339-40. 2007
- Benign essential blepharospasmGuy J Ben Simon
Jules Stein Eye Institute, Room 2 267, 100 Stein Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Int Ophthalmol Clin 45:49-75. 2005
- Botulinum toxin a in the treatment of blepharospasm: a 10-year experienceLaura Silveira-Moriyama
Movement Disorders Clinic of the Department of Neurology, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil HC FMUSP
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 63:221-4. 2005To evaluate the long-term effect of botulinum toxin type A (BTX) in the treatment of blepharospasm, a retrospective analysis was conducted from the patients seen at the Movement Disorders Clinic of the Department of Neurology, Hospital ..
- Botulinum toxin improves lid opening delays in blepharospasm-associated apraxia of lid openingRobert Forget
Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire en réadaptation du Montréal métropolitain, Institut de Réadaptation de Montréal, Qué H3S 2J4, Canada
Neurology 58:1843-6. 2002..EMG of the orbicularis oculi (OOc) were analyzed in 10 patients with apraxia of lid opening associated with blepharospasm before and after botulinum toxin treatment...
- Supramaximal doses of botulinum toxin for refractory blepharospasmRichard L Levy
Neuro Ophthalmology Unit, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Ophthalmology 113:1665-8. 2006To investigate the response to supramaximal doses of botulinum toxin in patients with refractory blepharospasm.
- Bilateral grey-matter increase in the putamen in primary blepharospasmT Etgen
Department of Neurology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munchen, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:1017-20. 2006Primary blepharospasm is a focal dystonia characterised by excessive involuntary closure of the eyelids. The pathophysiology of primary blepharospasm is unresolved.
- A double-blind, randomized, crossover study of prosigne versus botox in patients with blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmCarlos R M Rieder
Department of Neurology, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Brazil
Clin Neuropharmacol 30:39-42. 2007..The aim of our study was to compare the efficacy and safety of Prosigne in the treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm in comparison to Botox...
- Botulinum toxin in the treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmC Kenney
Parkinson s Disease Center and Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neural Transm 115:585-91. 2008b>Blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm are the two most common craniofacial movement disorders...
- A family study on primary blepharospasmG Defazio
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Piazza Giulio Cesare 11, I 70124 Bari, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 77:252-4. 2006Previous family studies provided evidence that blepharospasm (BSP) can aggregate in families but did not give accurate and reliable information on the characteristics and degree of familial clustering.
- Botulinum toxin: evidence-based medicine criteria in blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmW H Jost
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neurophysiology, Deutsche Klinik für Diagnostik Aukammallee 33 65191 Wiesbaden, Germany
J Neurol 248:21-4. 2001Botulinum A toxin is recognized and approved for symptomatic treatment of hemifacial spasm and blepharospasm. The state of trials is good, although double-blind placebo-controlled studies have been carried out involving only a small ..
- The stimulus intensity modifies the blink reflex recovery cycle in healthy subjects and in blepharospasmM Sommer
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Center for Neurological Medicine, , , Germany
Clin Neurophysiol 112:2293-9. 2001..excitability of human brainstem interneurons is measured by the blink reflex recovery cycle and is abnormal in blepharospasm. We wondered whether the results of this paradigm depend on the stimulus intensity...
- Botulinum toxin type B in blepharospasm and hemifacial spasmC Colosimo
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 74:687. 2003
- A polymorphism in the dopamine receptor DRD5 is associated with blepharospasmA Misbahuddin
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Neurology 58:124-6. 2002..The authors performed a case-control allelic association study in patients with the focal dystonia blepharospasm, using polymorphisms in the dopamine receptor and transporter genes...
- Epidemiology of primary blepharospasmGiovanni Defazio
Department of Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Mov Disord 17:7-12. 2002We review epidemiological data on primary blepharospasm (BSP). There is a large variation in the stated prevalence of BSP, with crude estimates ranging from 16 to 133 per million in different studies...
- Bell's palsy-induced blepharospasm relieved by passive eyelid closure and responsive to apomorphineLuigi Cattaneo
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze, Sezione di Neurologia, Universita degli Studi di Parma, Via Gramsci 14, 43100 Parma, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 116:2348-53. 2005We describe the case of a woman with Bell's Palsy-induced blepharospasm (BPIB) of the right eye that appeared simultaneously with a complete left facial nerve palsy...
- Clozapine-induced tardive dystonia (blepharospasm)Harpreet S Duggal
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 19:86-7. 2007
- Botulinum toxin A treatment in patients suffering from blepharospasm and dry eyeJ Horwath-Winter
Department of Ophthalmology, Auenbruggerplatz 4, A 8036 Graz, Austria
Br J Ophthalmol 87:54-6. 2003Many patients with essential blepharospasm also show dry eye signs and symptoms. Botulinum toxin A is an effective treatment for reducing spasms in these patients...
- Striatal activation during blepharospasm revealed by fMRIKerstin E Schmidt
Department of Neurophysiology, Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Neurology 60:1738-43. 2003To investigate brain areas involved in the initiation and execution of eyelid spasm in patients with benign essential blepharospasm.
- Environmental risk factors and clinical phenotype in familial and sporadic primary blepharospasmG Defazio
Department of Neurologic and Psychiatric Sciences and School of Motor Sciences, Aldo Moro University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Neurology 77:631-7. 2011Although environmental and genetic factors may contribute to the etiology of blepharospasm, their relative contribution in causing familial and sporadic blepharospasm is unknown.
- Glucose hypermetabolism in the thalamus of patients with essential blepharospasmYukihisa Suzuki
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurol 254:890-6. 2007Essential blepharospasm (EB) is classified as a form of focal dystonia characterized by involuntary spasms of the musculature of the upper face. The basic neurological process causing EB is not known...
- Treatment of blepharospasm with botulinum neurotoxin type A: long-term resultsP Calace
Department of Ophthalmologic Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, University Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 13:331-6. 2003To describe the long-term efficacy and side effects of treatment of blepharospasm with botulinum neurotoxin type A (Botox).
- A randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover clinical trial of super blue-green algae in patients with essential blepharospasm or Meige syndromeSusan Vitale
Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 138:18-32. 2004To evaluate the effectiveness of super blue-green algae (SBGA) supplements on the severity of essential blepharospasm treated with botulinum toxin A injections.
- Blepharospasm associated with multiple system atrophy: a case report and review of the literatureMaki Kagohashi
Department of Neurology, Juntendo University Izu Nagaoka Hospital, 1129 Nagaoka, Izu Nagaoka, Tagata, Shizuoka 410 2295, Japan
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 10:169-71. 2004Although blepharospasm has been occasionally associated with parkinsonism, it has rarely been reported in patients with multiple system atrophy (MSA)...
- Etizolam and benzodiazepine induced blepharospasmM Wakakura
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:506-7. 2004
- The evaluation of light sensitivity in benign essential blepharospasmWesley H Adams
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 142:82-87. 2006To test light sensitivity thresholds rigorously in patients with benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) compared with patients who have known light sensitivity (migraineurs) and to normal control subjects.
- Venlafaxine and tardive blepharospasm: a case reportYu Lee
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 31:1139-40. 2007
- Facial palsy-induced blepharospasm relieved by a Bangerter foilSuresh Sagili
Mov Disord 20:1231-2. 2005
- Modulation of sensory photophobia in essential blepharospasm with chromatic lensesNatasha L Herz
Cullen Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ophthalmology 112:2208-11. 2005To determine the effect of photochromatic modulation with tinted lenses on the sensory symptoms of photophobia in blepharospasm patients.
- Botulinum toxin in movement disordersSpiridon Papapetropoulos
Department of Neurology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Semin Neurol 27:183-94. 2007..However, controlled studies for many conditions are lacking, and more clinical trials in many different areas are warranted...
- Apraxia of eyelid opening: clinical features and therapyE Kerty
Department of Neurology, Rikshospitalet, University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:204-8. 2006Botulinum toxin injection is the treatment of choice in cases of benign essential blepharospasm. However, about 10% of the patients do not get sufficient effect from this treatment, and many of them have concomitant apraxia of lid opening.
- Morphometric changes of sensorimotor structures in focal dystoniaMark Obermann
Department of Neurology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Mov Disord 22:1117-23. 2007Idiopathic cervical dystonia (CD) and benign essential blepharospasm (BEB) are the most common forms of focal dystonia...
- [Essential blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm: characteristic of the patient, botulinum toxin A treatment and literature review]Silvana Artioli Schellini
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu, Universidade Estadual Paulista Julio Mesquita Filho, Botucatu, SP, Brazil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 69:23-6. 2006To evaluate the characteristics of the essential blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm patients and the feasible treatment with botulinum toxin A.
- Dystonia and headaches: clinical features and response to botulinum toxin therapyNestor Galvez-Jimenez
Movement Disorders, Department of Neurology, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida, USA
Adv Neurol 94:321-8. 2004
- Botulinum toxin A injections improve apraxia of eyelid opening without overt blepharospasm associated with neurodegenerative diseasesMasato Kanazawa
Mov Disord 22:597-8. 2007
- [Botulism toxin in practice]A Durand
Faculte de Pharmacie, 27, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Ann Readapt Med Phys 46:386-8. 2003..The respective formulations of Botox, Dysport and Neurobloc are described. Special considerations for administration are introduced...
- EYELID SENSORIMOTOR NETWORKSMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2003..Disorders of the nervous system associated with abnormal blinking such as blepharospasm and apraxia of eyelid opening can produce significant functional disability including blindness...
- Dystonia CoalitionHyder A Jinnah; Fiscal Year: 2013..approximately 80% of all dystonias: cervical dystonia (torticollis), laryngeal dystonia (spasmodic dysphonia), blepharospasm (peri-ocular regions), craniofacial dystonia (upper and lower face), and limb dystonias (hand/arm or foot/leg)...
- Kinaesthetic Loss as a Marker for Spasmodic DysphoniaPeter J Watson; Fiscal Year: 2012..Recent research documented that patients with focal dystonia affecting head and neck musculature, such as blepharospasm and torticollis, reveal kinaesthetic deficits in the non-dystonic musculature of their upper limbs suggesting ..
- Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for Corneal CystinosisJENNIFER LYNNE SIMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the cornea, progressive visual deterioration due to photophobia, blepharospasm and recurrent corneal erosions are associated with increasing concentrations of corneal crystals and are a ..
- A Cell-based Assay for Botulinum Neurotoxin Detection and DevelopmentWard C Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2013..and are currently FDA-approved for treating glabellar lines (wrinkles), cervical dystonia, chronic migraines, blepharospasm, cranial nerve VII disorders, and cosmoses...
- Diagnostic Error in DystoniaCaroline M Tanner; Fiscal Year: 2010..Common subtypes of primary dystonia include dystonic blepharospasm, spasmodic torticollis, oromandibular dystonia, spasmodic dysphonia and focal hand dystonia (writer's ..
- CONTROL OF EYELIDS IN NORMAL AND PATHOLOGICAL STATESLESLIE CRAIG EVINGER; Fiscal Year: 2011..the previous grant period, we have investigated the neural basis of the focal dystonia, benign essential blepharospasm (BEB)...
- BOTULINUM NEUROTOXIN: MECHANISM OF TOXICITYBIBHUTI DASGUPTA; Fiscal Year: 1991..g. blepharospasm, hemifacial spasm, and strabismus in human patients...
- MECHANISM OF BOTULINUM NEUROTOXIN ACTIONBal Ram Singh; Fiscal Year: 1999..the neurotoxins are being used as therapeutic agents to treat several neuro- muscular diseases such as blepharospasm, strabismus, torticollis, etc., and have potential to be used for many more neuro-muscular disorders...
- CHEMOMYECTOMY FOR EYELID SPASMSLinda McLoon; Fiscal Year: 1999b>Blepharospasm, hemifacial spasm and other diseases involving forceful, uncontrolled muscle spasms of the face and neck are extremely debilitating conditions that result in functional blindness, often causing affected persons to withdraw ..
- A Cell-based Assay for Botulinum Neurotoxin Detection and DevelopmentWard C Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2010..and are currently FDA-approved for the treatment of glabellar lines (wrinkles), cervical dystonia, blepharospasm, cranial nerve VII disorders, and cosmoses...
- NEUROIMAGING OF HYPERKINETIC MOVEMENT DISORDERSMichael Hutchinson; Fiscal Year: 2001..hyperkinetic disorders will be studied using regional measures of cerebral glucose metabolism and blood flow: blepharospasm, idiopathic torsion dystonia, Huntington's chorea and levodopa-induced dyskinesia...
- A Novel Immunotoxin for Treatment and Cure of StrabismusLEO CHALUPA; Fiscal Year: 2005..The use of IX-146 could be extended in the future to a wider variety of ophthalmologic, neurologic, and neuromuscular disorders, including blepharospasm as well as other types of dystonias.
- NITRIC OXIDE IN NORMAL AND DISEASED OCULAR MUSCLEHENRY KAMINSKI; Fiscal Year: 2000..dystrophy and myasthenia gravis, the results of these investigations will be important for other disorders of extraocular muscle, such as strabismus, genetic ocular motility disorders, congenital myasthenic syndromes, and blepharospasm.
- IMMUNOTOXIN TREATMENT OF BLEPHAROSPASM AND STRABISMUSTHOMAS WALLACE; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Blepharospasm and strabismus are chronic, debilitating, ocular spastic disorders caused by uncontrolled or unbalanced muscle contraction...
- Phase Dynamics in a Brainstem Sensorimotor Feedback LoopQuoc Thang Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Our research could provide clues to understand the still unknown etiology of diseases such as blepharospasm.
- EYELID KINEMATICS IN HEALTH AND DISEASERobert Baker; Fiscal Year: 2001..Second, data from the current project period support the hypothesis that blepharospasm results from an interaction orf corneal irritation and/or weakness of eyelid closure with compromised adaptive ..
- CLINICAL CHARACTERIZATION&GENETICS OF OPTIC NERVE DRUSENBradley Katz; Fiscal Year: 2005..These data may suggest novel therapies to prevent the visual field loss associated with OND. In addition, these data may yield information about other diseases of the optic nerve. ..
- SELECTIVE REMOVAL OF EXTRAOCULAR MUSCLEAlan Scott; Fiscal Year: 2002..Aim 6 represents human pilot studies needed for design of clinical trials for the therapy developed in this proposal. ..
- Assessment of Quality of Life in Graves' OphthalmopathyElizabeth Bradley; Fiscal Year: 2006..These efforts will serve as important preparatory steps toward Dr. Bradley's long-term goal of studying treatments of Graves' opthalmopathy through medical and surgical clinical trials. ..
- GENETICS OF PARKINSON DISEASE IN THE AMISHBrad Racette; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Foundations of the Myoclonus-Dystonia SyndromeMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hypothesize that epsilon sarcoglycan co-localizes with GABA receptors opposite GABAergic terminals in the central nervous system. ..
- Epidemilogy of Parkinsonism in WeldersBrad A Racette; Fiscal Year: 2011..The cohort assembled will provide unique opportunities for future research projects into gene-environment interactions and exposure related neuroimaging changes. ..
- Mutant Gene Identification in the Dystonic RatMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2008..Patients with dystonia will be screened for mutations in the human homologue. These proposed studies will likely increase our understanding of both dystonia and olivocerebellar motor systems. ..
- TETRAHYDROISOQUINOLINES AND PARKINSON'S DISEASEMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2006..Evolution may have not provided neurons with mechanisms to prevent accumulation of these by-products of normal metabolism and, as a consequence, susceptible neuronal populations may slowly undergo apoptotic death in the elderly. ..