Genomes and Genes
Summary: An abnormal triangular fold of membrane in the interpalpebral fissure, extending from the conjunctiva to the cornea, being immovably united to the cornea at its apex, firmly attached to the sclera throughout its middle portion, and merged with the conjunctiva at its base. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications275 found, 100 shown here
- Measures for preventing recurrence after pterygium surgeryJ Akura
Kushimoto Rehabilitation Center, 259 6 Kushimoto, Kushimoto cho, Nishimuro gun, Wakayama ken, 649 3503, Japan
Cornea 20:703-7. 2001To introduce an improved technique of pterygium surgery and to compare postoperative results between this technique and previous techniques.
- Clinical outcome study of a modified surgical technique for pterygium excisionPanos Massaoutis
Eye Department, Mayday University Hospital, Croydon, Surrey, UK
Can J Ophthalmol 41:704-8. 2006b>Pterygium is a common condition that has many and varied surgical management techniques. Our aim was to describe and evaluate the safety and efficacy of a modified tissue-sparing surgical procedure for management of pterygium.
- Prevalence and risk factors of pterygium and pinguecula: the Tehran Eye StudyA Fotouhi
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eye (Lond) 23:1125-9. 2009To determine the prevalence and causes of pterygium and pinguecula in the population of Tehran in 2002.
- Acute scleral thinning after pterygium excision with intraoperative mitomycin C: a case report of scleral dellen after bare sclera technique and review of the literatureYi Yu Tsai
Department of Ophthalmology, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Cornea 21:227-9. 2002To describe a patient with scleral dellen after pterygium excision with intraoperative mitomycin C.
- The results of amniotic membrane transplantation for primary pterygium compared with conjunctival autograftNapaporn Tananuvat
Department of Ophthalmology, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Cornea 23:458-63. 2004To study the efficacy and safety of amniotic membrane transplantation as an adjunctive therapy after surgical excision of primary pterygium and to compare the clinical outcome with that of conjunctival autograft.
- Effect of TIMP-1 and MMP in pterygium invasionYi Yu Tsai
Department of Ophthalmology, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:3462-7. 2010..Therefore, the purpose of this study was to determine the role of MMP-9, MMP-10, and TIMPs in pterygium formation and progression. METHODS...
- Fibrin glue versus sutures for conjunctival autografting in pterygium surgery: a prospective comparative studyA Karalezli
Department of Ophthalmology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Br J Ophthalmol 92:1206-10. 2008To compare the use of fibrin glue versus sutures for fixating conjunctival autografts in patients undergoing pterygium excision.
- Prevalence of and factors associated with pterygium in adult Chinese: the Beijing Eye StudyKe Ma
Beijing Institute of Ophthalmology, Beijing Tongren Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
Cornea 26:1184-6. 2007..To evaluate the prevalence of pterygia and its associated factors in an adult Chinese population of Greater Beijing...
- Increased oxidative DNA damage, 8-hydroxydeoxy- guanosine, in human pterygiumH C Kau
Department of Ophthalmology, Taoyuan Veterans Hospital, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Eye (Lond) 20:826-31. 2006Chronic exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light is a widely accepted aetiological factor in the development of pterygium. UV radiation may induce production of reactive oxygen species via photosensitized oxidation, thus causing oxidative ..
- Recurrent pterygium surgery using pterygium extended removal followed by extended conjunctival transplant: recurrence rate and cosmesisLawrence W Hirst
University of Queensland and Queensland Eye Institute, Brisbane, Australia
Ophthalmology 116:1278-86. 2009To assess the rate of recurrence, complications, and cosmesis after recurrent pterygium removal with P.E.R.F.E.C.T. for PTERYGIUM (Pterygium Extended Removal Followed by Extended Conjunctival Transplant).
- Differential expression of matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitors at the advancing pterygium headN Di Girolamo
Inflammation Research Unit, School of Pathology, University of New South Wales, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41:4142-9. 2000..The purpose of this study was to determine the expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and tissue inhibitors of MMPs (TIMPs) at the advancing pterygium edge.
- Active matrilysin (MMP-7) in human pterygia: potential role in angiogenesisN Di Girolamo
Inflammation Research Unit, School of Pathology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 42:1963-8. 2001..The purpose of this study was to determine the cellular distribution and activation status of matrilysin (MMP-7) in pterygia...
- Current concepts and techniques in pterygium treatmentLeonard P K Ang
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 18:308-13. 2007b>Pterygium is a common ocular disorder in many parts of the world. At present, there is a wide variety of surgical methods but very few clinical guidelines on the optimal treatment of primary or recurrent pterygium...
- The science of pterygiaJ C Bradley
Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of California Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 94:815-20. 2010b>Pterygium is an ocular surface disease of humans attributed to chronic ultraviolet-B exposure. Clinically, the condition involves invasive centripetal growth with associated inflammation and neovascularisation...
- Prevalence of pterygium in Latinos: Proyecto VERS West
Dana Center for Preventive Ophthalmology, Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 93:1287-90. 2009b>Pterygium is a common corneal eye condition that can be disfiguring and may require surgery to avoid loss of vision. There are no population-based data on the prevalence or on risk factors among Latinos.
- The Ets-1 transcription factor is involved in pterygial angiogenesisW Naib-Majani
Department of International Medical Education and Development, Bonn, Germany
Anat Histol Embryol 36:107-10. 2007..In contrast, no expression of ets-1 was found in group 2 pterygia. Proto-oncogene ets-1 expression has been shown for the first time in the metaplastic pterygium, an eye tissue of unknown pathogenesis.
- Low-dose intraoperative mitomycin C as chemoadjuvant for pterygium surgeryH C Cheng
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Cornea 20:24-9. 2001..and safety of low-dose intraoperative mitomycin C (MMC) during bare sclera procedure and to compare the rates of pterygium recurrence between recurrent pterygium patients treated with adjuvant MMC and those reconstructed with a ..
- Preliminary results of subconjunctival bevacizumab in primary pterygium excisionMohammad Reza Razeghinejad
Department of Ophthalmology and Poostchi Ophthalmic Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Ophthalmic Res 43:134-8. 2010To evaluate the efficacy of subconjunctival bevacizumab as an adjunctive therapy for primary pterygium surgery.
- Serious corneoscleral complications after pterygium excision with mitomycin CB Safianik
Br J Ophthalmol 86:357-8. 2002
- Relationship between the morbidity of pterygium and the duration of ultraviolet rays exposure in Sanya, ChinaQi Chang Yan
Department of Ophthalmology, Fourth Affiliated Hospital, China Medical University, Shenyang 110005, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 119:1308-10. 2006
- Fibrin glue versus sutures for attaching the conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery: a prospective observer masked clinical trialS Srinivasan
Department of Ophthalmology, Toronto Western Hospital, Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Br J Ophthalmol 93:215-8. 2009To compare the degree of conjunctival autograft inflammation, subconjunctival haemorrhage (SCH) and graft stability following the use of sutures or fibrin glue (FG) during pterygium surgery.
- Scleral melting 16 years after pterygium excision with topical Mitomycin C adjuvant therapyW M Wan Norliza
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Cont Lens Anterior Eye 29:165-7. 2006To report a case of scleral melting noted 16 years after pterygium excision with postoperative adjuvant topical Mitomycin C (MMC).
- Efficacy of topical bevacizumab for inhibiting growth of impending recurrent pterygiumMohammad Reza Fallah
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Medical Sciences, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran
Curr Eye Res 35:17-22. 2010To evaluate clinical outcome(s) and complication(s) of topical bevacizumab (avastin) in patients with impending recurrent pterygium.
- Pathogenetic mechanisms and treatment options for ophthalmic pterygium: trends and perspectives (Review)Efstathios T Detorakis
Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospital of Heraklion, and Laboratory of Virology, Medical School, University of Crete, 71110 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Int J Mol Med 23:439-47. 2009b>Pterygium is a fibrovascular lesion of the ocular surface that can display an aggressive clinical behavior and, occasionally, threaten vision...
- Treatment of pterygiumIsyaku Mohammed
Department of Ophthalmology, Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 10:197-203. 2011The treatment of ocular pterygium has been subjected to the development and application of various new strategies in the last few years...
- Oxidative DNA damage in pterygiumYi Yu Tsai
Department of Ophthalmology, China Medical University Hospital and Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Mol Vis 11:71-5. 2005..If pterygium is related to UV, we surmised oxidative stress exists in pterygium...
- Analysis of pathohistological characteristics of pterygiumBoban Dzunic
Ophthalmology Clinic, Clinical Center, Nis, Serbia
Bosn J Basic Med Sci 10:307-13. 2010b>Pterygium internum (external eye layer) shows great recurrence tendency after surgical removal. Its etiology is still unclear and represents a significant problem...
- Bevacizumab and ocular wound healing after primary pterygium excisionMohammad Banifatemi
Department of Ophthalmology, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Khalili Hospital, Shiraz, Iran
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 27:17-21. 2011The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of subconjunctival bevacizumab on early postoperative wound healing in patients with primary pterygium excision.
- Preliminary evidence of the presence of lymphatic vessels immunoreactive for D2-40 and Prox-1 in human pterygiumAnca Maria Cimpean
Department of Histology, Victor Babes University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Timisoara, Romania
Oncol Rep 26:1111-3. 2011Human pterygium is a benign fibrovascular outgrowth of the corneo-conjunctival junction, characterized by tissue remodeling, cellular proliferation, angiogenesis and inflammation...
- Quantitative analysis of regular and irregular astigmatism induced by pterygiumA Tomidokoro
Department of Ophthalmology, Omiya Red Cross Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Cornea 18:412-5. 1999To quantitatively evaluate the influence of pterygium and its removal surgery on both regular and irregular corneal astigmatism.
- Phase I study of subconjunctival ranibizumab in patients with primary pterygium undergoing pterygium surgeryAnat Galor
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 149:926-931.e2. 2010To evaluate the safety and tolerability of ranibizumab given via subconjunctival injection in patients with primary pterygium undergoing pterygium surgery with autograft placement.
- Subconjunctival bevacizumab immediately after excision of primary pterygium: the first clinical trialAbdollah Shenasi
Department of Ophthalmology, Nikookari Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Cornea 30:1219-22. 2011To investigate the effect of subconjunctival bevacizumab immediately after excision of primary pterygium.
- Amniotic membrane transplantation with conjunctival autograft for recurrent pterygiumJun Shimazaki
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Dental College, Chiba, Japan
Ophthalmology 110:119-24. 2003To study the effect of amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) combined with either limbal autograft transplantation (LAT) or conjunctival autograft transplantation (CAT) in recurrent pterygium.
- Corneo-conjunctival autograft transplantation for pterygium surgeryEric Frau
Institute Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:59-63. 2004To evaluate the efficacy of surgical management of pterygium with corneo-conjunctival autograft transplantation.
- A comparative study of tissue glue and vicryl suture for closing limbal-conjunctival autografts and histologic evaluation after pterygium excisionYasemin Ozdamar
Ankara Ulucanlar Eye Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Cornea 27:552-8. 2008To compare clinical and histopathologic outcomes of tissue glue and vicryl suture to attach limbal conjunctival autografts in pterygium surgery.
- Decreased pigment epithelium-derived factor and increased vascular endothelial growth factor levels in pterygiaJi Jin
Department of Ophthalmology, The Jinhua Central Hospital, Zhejiang, China
Cornea 22:473-7. 2003..This study compared expression levels of an angiogenic inhibitor, pigment epithelium-derived factor (PEDF), in pterygia with those in normal corneal and conjunctival tissues...
- Pterygium: histological and immunohistochemical aspectsT Golu
Ophthalmology Clinic, Rovinari Hospital, Romania
Rom J Morphol Embryol 52:153-8. 2011b>Pterygium represents a triangular conjunctivo-epithelial overgrowth, proliferating from the bulbar conjunctiva and covering the cornea, causing severe vision loss...
- Ophthalmic pterygium: a stem cell disorder with premalignant featuresJeanie Chui
Inflammation and Infection Research Centre, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Am J Pathol 178:817-27. 2011..One hundred pterygium specimens were histopathologically reviewed and selected cases were immunohistochemically assessed to confirm ..
- [Expression of matrix metalloproteinase in human pterygia]Jun Zeng
Department of Ophthalmology, The Second Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Changsha 410011, China
Yan Ke Xue Bao 20:242-5. 2004To determine the cellular distribution and activation of MMP-2 and MMP-9 in human pterygium.
- Connective tissue growth factor in pterygium: simultaneous presence with vascular endothelial growth factor - possible contributing factor to conjunctival scarringGysbert van Setten
St Eriks Eye Clinic, Karolinska Institutet, Polhemsgatan 50, 11282 Stockholm, Sweden
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 241:135-9. 2003Various growth factors have been detected in pterygium and been associated with its vasculogenesis. The basic pathophysiological mechanisms responsible especially for the fibrotic activity in pterygium are, however, not yet known...
- Use of mitomycin C with conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgery in Asian-CanadiansV A Wong
Department of Ophthalmology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Ophthalmology 106:1512-5. 1999..To determine whether using mitomycin C (MMC) before applying conjunctival autograft is better than conjunctival autograft alone in preventing the recurrence of pterygia in an Asian-Canadian population...
- Calcium-binding S100 protein expression in pterygiumAndri K Riau
Singapore Eye Research Institute, Singapore
Mol Vis 15:335-42. 2009b>Pterygium is an ocular surface disease of unknown etiology associated with epithelial and fibrovascular outgrowth from the conjunctiva onto the cornea...
- Microbial scleritis-experience from a developing countryV Jain
LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Eye (Lond) 23:255-61. 2009..The purpose of this article was to study the clinical features, pathogenic organisms, and the outcome in cases of infectious scleritis...
- UVB-mediated induction of interleukin-6 and -8 in pterygia and cultured human pterygium epithelial cellsNick Di Girolamo
Inflammation Research Unit, School of Medical Sciences, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3430-7. 2002..The hypothesis tested in the current study is that UV radiation modulates the expression of interleukin (IL)-6 and -8, which could promote the neovascularization and chronic inflammation regularly observed in pterygia...
- Angiogenesis in pterygium: study of microvessel density, vascular endothelial growth factor, and thrombospondin-1M Aspiotis
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Epirus, Greece
Eye (Lond) 21:1095-101. 2007This retrospective study aims to elucidate the role of angiogenesis in the pathogenesis of pterygium. We evaluated microvessel density (MVD), and expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and thrombospondin-1 (TSP-1).
- Photokeratitis and other phototoxic effects on the cornea and conjunctivaAnthony P Cullen
School of Optometry and Department of Biology, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Int J Toxicol 21:455-64. 2002..Chronic exposure to solar ultraviolet is a factor in climatic droplet keratopathy and pterygium. Phototoxic compounds or their by-products potentially can reach the cornea from the air, via the tears or ..
- Expression analysis of human pterygium shows a predominance of conjunctival and limbal markers and genes associated with cell migrationC J Jaworski
Section on Molecular Therapeutics, NEI NIH, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Vis 15:2421-34. 2009b>Pterygium is a vision-impairing fibrovascular lesion that grows across the corneal surface and is associated with sunlight exposure...
- Prevalence of pterygium and cataract in indigenous populations of the Brazilian Amazon rain forestJ S Paula
School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, USP, Brazil
Eye (Lond) 20:533-6. 2006To compare the prevalence of pterygium and cataract in four indigenous populations of the Brazilian Amazonian rain forest (Arawak, Tukano, Maku, and Yanomami) with different ethnic and social behaviour backgrounds.
- Amniotic membrane transplantation after extensive removal of primary and recurrent pterygiaA Solomon
Ocular Surface and Tear Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Ophthalmology 108:449-60. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Amniotic membrane transplantation is an effective and safe procedure for pterygium surgery, with a relatively low recurrence rate for both primary and recurrent pterygia...
- The role of substance P in the pathogenesis of pterygiaJeanie Chui
Inflammatory Diseases Research Unit, Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:4482-9. 2007b>Pterygium is a prevalent ocular surface disorder thought to be triggered by chronic ultraviolet damage to the limbus...
- Scleral ulceration after preoperative injection of mitomycin C in the pterygium headMaria A Carrasco
Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, 900 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 120:1585-6. 2002
- A randomized controlled trial of intralesional bevacizumab injection on primary pterygium: preliminary resultsOrapin Enkvetchakul
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Cornea 30:1213-8. 2011To evaluate the efficacy and safety of intralesional injection of bevacizumab on primary pterygium treatment.
- The effect of pterygium surgery on corneal topographyA Cinal
Yuzuncu Yil University Medical Faculty, Department of Ophthalmology, Van, Turkey
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers 32:35-40. 2001The aim of this prospective randomized clinical study was to evaluate the effect of pterygium surgery on the corneal topography using a computerized corneal topography system.
- Comparison of fibrin glue with sutures for pterygium excision surgery with conjunctival autograftsReece C Hall
Ophthalmology Department, Wellington Hospital, Capital Coast District Health Board, Wellington, New Zealand
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 37:584-9. 2009To compare pterygium excision conjunctival autograft surgery using Tisseel fibrin glue versus Vicryl sutures.
- The effect of subconjunctival ranibizumab on primary pterygium: a pilot studyAchilleas Mandalos
2nd Ophthalmology Clinic, Papageorgiou Hospital, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki, Greece
Cornea 29:1373-9. 2010A prospective interventional pilot study was performed to estimate the effect of ranibizumab injection on the clinical and histological picture of primary pterygium.
- Efficacy of intralesional bevacizumab injection in decreasing pterygium sizeMohammad Reza Fallah Tafti
Eye Research Center, Farabi Eye Hospital, Cornea Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Cornea 30:127-9. 2011To evaluate the efficacy of intralesional bevacizumab injection in decreasing size of pterygium.
- Visual acuity and corneal topographic changes related with pterygium surgeryMeltem Yagmur
Department of Ophthalmology, Cukurova University, Faculty of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
J Refract Surg 21:166-70. 2005Applied pre- and postoperative corneal topography outcomes with visual acuities were evaluated to determine the surgical results in pterygium therapy.
- Expression of double strand DNA breaks repair genes in pterygiumAnna Lękawa-Ilczuk
Department of Human Genetics, Medical University, Lublin, Poland
Ophthalmic Genet 32:39-47. 2011The alteration in the expression of some genes and proteins responsible for chosen DNA repair pathways in pterygium pathogenesis were studied...
- Overexpression of urokinase-type plasminogen activator in pterygia and pterygium fibroblastsShih Chun Chao
Department of Ophthalmology, Show Chwan Memorial Hospital, Changhua, Taiwan
Mol Vis 17:23-31. 2011..Little is known about the expression of uPA in pterygium. The purpose of this study was to investigate the expression of uPA mRNA and activities in various stages of ..
- Randomised controlled study of conjunctival autograft versus amniotic membrane graft in pterygium excisionP Luanratanakorn
Department of Ophthalmology, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1476-80. 2006To determine whether amniotic membrane can be used as an alternative to conjunctival autograft after pterygium excision.
- Tectonic corneal lamellar grafting for severe scleral melting after pterygium surgerySeng Ei Ti
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Ophthalmology 110:1126-36. 2003To describe the technique and review the indications and success of tectonic corneal lamellar grafting for the management of severe scleral melts after pterygium surgery.
- Long-term follow-up results of lamellar keratoplasty as a treatment for recurrent pterygium and for scleral necrosis induced by beta-irradiationBehrooz Golchin
Sydney Hospital and Sydney Eye Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Cornea 22:612-8. 2003To evaluate the efficacy and safety of lamellar keratoplasty (LK) in the treatment of recurrent pterygium and of scleral necrosis induced by beta-irradiation.
- Expression of cell proliferation and apoptosis biomarkers in pterygia and normal conjunctivaKun Liang
Department of Ophthalmology, the Second Hospital Affiliated to Anhui Medical University, Hefei, Anhui, PR China
Mol Vis 17:1687-93. 2011To analyze the expression of apoptosis and cell proliferation molecules in pterygium tissues of Chinese patients.
- Pterygium in an aged Mongolian population: a population-based study in ChinaJ Lu
Institute of Developmental Biology, Lanzhou University, China
Eye (Lond) 23:421-7. 2009To determine the prevalence and identify associated risk factors for pterygium in an elderly Mongolian population at high altitude in Henan County, China.
- Postoperative irradiation for pterygium: retrospective analysis of 1,253 patients from the Osaka University HospitalFumiaki Isohashi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka, Japan
Strahlenther Onkol 182:437-42. 2006Irradiation of ocular pterygium is considered a valuable treatment supplementation after surgical therapy...
- Fibrin adhesive is better than sutures in pterygium surgeryVanitha Ratnalingam
Ophthalmology Department, Penang Hospital, Penang, Malaysia
Cornea 29:485-9. 2010To evaluate the recurrence rate, surgical time, and postoperative pain between conjunctival autografting with sutures and with fibrin adhesive in pterygium surgery.
- Endothelial cell loss during pterygium surgery: importance of timing of mitomycin C applicationRahamim Avisar
Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Isreal
Cornea 28:879-81. 2009To determine if the timing of mitomycin C (MMC) application during pterygium surgery affects endothelial cell loss.
- Progenitor cells in healing after pterygium excisionJeong Kyu Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Yongsan gu, Seoul 140 757, Korea
Yonsei Med J 48:48-54. 2007Bone marrow derived progenitor cells were reported to be involved in the pathogenesis of pterygium and have been suggested to be important in angiogenesis and the repair process after tissue damage...
- Comments on using fibrin glue in pterygium surgeryL S Alvarenga
Br J Ophthalmol 89:392; author reply 392. 2005
- Outcome of pterygium surgery: analysis over 14 yearsM Fernandes
Cornea and Anterior Segment Service, LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India
Eye (Lond) 19:1182-90. 2005To report the outcome of pterygium surgery performed at a tertiary eye care centre in South India.
- Comparison of three methods for the treatment of pterygium: amniotic membrane graft, conjunctival autograft and conjunctival autograft plus mitomycin CYasemin Arslan Katircioglu
Department of Ophthalmology, S B Ankara Research and Training Hospital, Ophthalmology Clinics, Ankara Turkey
Orbit 26:5-13. 2007To compare three techniques combined with excision in the treatment of primary and recurrent pterygium: amniotic membrane transplantation, conjunctival autograft, and conjunctival autograft plus mitomycin C.
- Fibrous histiocytoma in primary pterygiumV P Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology, University College of Medical Sciences and Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, Delhi, India
Orbit 21:217-21. 2002..reported to develop in various ocular structures with a variable frequency, has never been found within a pterygium. We report the case of a 50-year-old female who had had a pterygium for the last six years and had developed a ..
- Preoperative subpterygial mitomycin C injection versus limbal conjunctival autograft transplantation for prevention of pterygium recurrenceSameh S Mandour
Department of Ophthalmology, Menoufia Faculty of Medicine, Shebin El Kom, Egypt
J Ocul Pharmacol Ther 27:481-5. 2011To evaluate postoperative outcome and recurrence rate after primary pterygium excision using preoperative Mitomycin C (MMC) injection versus limbal conjunctival autograft transplantation (LCAT).
- The presence of T-lymphocyte subpopulations (CD4 and CD8) in pterygia: evaluation of the inflammatory responseRichard M Awdeh
Department of Ophthalmology, Albert Eye Research Institute, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Adv Ther 25:479-87. 2008The aim of our study was to confirm the presence of inflammatory T-lymphocyte subpopulations (CD4 and CD8) in pterygium specimens with regards to clinical severity...
- Combined mitomycin C application and free flap conjunctival autograft in pterygium surgeryFani Segev
Department of Opthalmology, Meir Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Cornea 22:598-603. 2003To evaluate the long-term postoperative outcome and complication rate of combined intraoperative low-dose mitomycin C application and free conjunctival autograft for the treatment of pterygium.
- [Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in pterygium and effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor on human pterygium fibroblasts]Yuan Gao
Department of Ophthalmology, Union Hospital of Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi 43:881-4. 2007To investigate the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) in pterygium and the effect of selective COX-2 inhibitor (Nimesulide) on proliferation of human pterygium fibroblasts (HPF) in culture.
- Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in primary and recurrent pterygiumU Adiguzel
Department of Ophthalmology, Mersin University School of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:879-84. 2007b>Pterygium is a proliferative, inflammatory, and invasive ocular surface disease associated with excessive ultraviolet radiation exposure and has several tumor-like characteristics...
- Endothelial progenitor cells in pterygium pathogenesisJ K Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea
Eye (Lond) 21:1186-93. 2007The pathogenesis of pterygium is not well known, and controversy exists about the cell origins and the nature of initial trigger required for its development...
- Mitomycin C and conjunctival autograft for recurrent pterygiumUgur E Altiparmak
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int Ophthalmol 27:339-43. 2007To observe the efficiency of intraoperative low-dose Mitomycin-C combined with conjunctival autograft in the treatment of recurrent pterygium.
- [Epidemiology of pterygium. A review]K Droutsas
Klinik fur Augenheilkunde, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Universitätsklinik Giessen and Marburg GmbH, Standort Marburg
Ophthalmologe 107:511-2, 514-6. 2010The traditional concept of chronic UV exposure as a central factor in the pathogenesis of pterygium has been repeatedly confirmed by large epidemiological studies in recent years...
- Relationship between the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and survivin in primary pterygiumCristina Maxia
Department of Cytomorphology, University of Cagliari Medical School, Cagliari, Italy
Mol Vis 15:458-63. 2009..To investigate the expression of cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) in a group of 93 Ecuadorian primary pterygia and to evaluate a possible association between COX-2 and survivin...
- Effect of subconjunctival bevacizumab on primary pterygiumChristopher C Teng
Department of Ophthalmology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Cornea 28:468-70. 2009To investigate the effect of subconjunctival bevacizumab on primary pterygium.
- Pterygia: pathogenesis and the role of subconjunctival bevacizumab in treatmentJohn Mauro
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 24:130-4. 2009A pterygium is a very common conjunctival degenerative condition. It has been well established that there are different factors that are interrelated and involved in the growth of pterygia...
- Long-term results after bare sclera pterygium resection with excimer smoothing and local application of mitomycin CTony Walkow
Department of Ophthalmology, Centro Klinik, Oberhausen, Germany
Cornea 24:378-81. 2005To evaluate the long-term results and complications after bare sclera pterygium excision with local application of mitomycin C and consecutive smoothing of the wound area with an excimer laser (PTK).
- Treatment of primary pterygiumYelda B Ozkurt
Fatih Sultan Mehmet Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Optom Vis Sci 86:1178-81. 2009To compare preserved human amniotic membrane transplantation and conjunctival autografts for treatment of primary pterygium.
- Limbal-conjunctival autograft transplantation for recurrent pterygiumI Dekaris
Ophthalmology Department, Lions Croatian Eye Bank, GH Sveti Duh, Zagreb, Croatia
Eur J Ophthalmol 12:177-82. 2002To assess the usefulness of limbal-conjunctival autograft transplantation (LCAT) for the treatment of recurrent pterygium.
- Prospective study of primary pterygium surgery using pterygium extended removal followed by extended conjunctival transplantationLawrence W Hirst
University of Queensland and Queensland Eye Institute, South Brisbane, Australia
Ophthalmology 115:1663-72. 2008To assess the rate of recurrence and complications after primary pterygium removal with the P.E.R.F.E.C.T. for PTERYGIUM (pterygium extended removal followed by extended conjunctival transplantation) technique.
- Extensive versus limited pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft: outcomes and recurrence ratesIrit Bahar
Ophthalmology Department, Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Curr Eye Res 33:435-40. 2008To compare the long-term outcomes and recurrence rate of extensive versus limited subconjunctival pterygium excision with conjunctival autograft.
- Increased expression of mucinous glycoprotein KL-6 in human pterygiumS Kase
Br J Ophthalmol 90:1208-9. 2006
- Topical cyclosporin A and mitomycin C injection as adjunctive therapy for prevention of primary pterygium recurrenceMiguela Ibáñez
Centro Médico Puerta de Hierro, Guadalajara, Mexico
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 40:239-44. 2009The authors evaluated the results of topical cyclosporin A 1% and injected mitomycin C 0.01% use as adjunctive therapy for prevention of primary pterygium recurrence.
- Immunohistochemical analysis of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and p53 expression in pterygium from Tunisian patientsT Khalfaoui
Service d Ophtalmologie, Hopital Charles Nicolle, Boulevard du 9 Avril, 1006 Tunis, Tunisie
Pathol Biol (Paris) 59:137-41. 2011A pterygium is characterized by abnormal fibrovascular corneoconjunctival tissue. A number of investigations have attempted to elucidate this incompletely understood pathology...
- Conjunctivolimbal autograft using a fibrin adhesive in pterygium surgeryHyun Ho Kim
Department of Ophthalmology, Cheil Eye Hospital, Daegu, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 22:147-54. 2008To evaluate the efficacy and safety of fibrin bioadhesive in conjunctivolimbal autograft surgery for primary pterygium.
- Study of the expression of CD30 in pterygia compared to healthy conjunctivasYonathan Garfias
Research Unit, Institute of Ophthalmology Conde de Valenciana Mexico City, Mexico
Mol Vis 15:2068-73. 2009The pterygium is characterized by a fibrovascular neoformation from the bulbar conjunctiva into the cornea...
- Differential expression of vascular endothelial growth factor implies the limbal origin of pterygiaMatthias Gebhardt
Department of Anatomy, Christian Albrecht University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany
Ophthalmology 112:1023-30. 2005..To study the distribution of isoforms of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and its receptors VEGFR1 and VEGFR2 in pterygia and to compare it with that in healthy conjunctivas...
- Impression cytology study of conjunctival epithelial phenotypes on the healing ocular surface after pterygium excisionS H Tseng
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan, ROC
Cornea 20:244-50. 2001To compare the process of conjunctival epithelial regeneration after three types of pterygium excision procedures.
- Expression of p27(KIP1) and cyclin D1, and cell proliferation in human pterygiumSatoru Kase
Department of Ophthalmology, Sapporo Social Insurance General Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Br J Ophthalmol 91:958-61. 2007The pterygium is a growth onto the cornea of fibrovascular tissue that is continuous with the conjunctiva, whereas the mechanisms of cell proliferation in pterygium epithelium are unknown.
- Efficacy and safety of recurrent pterygium surgery using human processed pericardiumLenio S Alvarenga
Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Cornea 21:542-5. 2002To investigate the safety and efficacy of human processed pericardium used as an onlay after pterygium excision.
- Invasive squamous cell carcinoma of the conjunctiva first misdiagnosed as a pterygium: a clinicopathologic case reportErtugrul Mirza
Department of Ophthalmology, Erciyes University School of Medicine, Melikgazi, Kayseri, Turkey
Eye Contact Lens 34:188-90. 2008To describe the clinical findings of a patient who initially underwent surgery for a pterygium and who was finally diagnosed with invasive squamous cell carcinoma, and to determine the necessity and importance of pathologic investigation ..
- Increased expression of gelatinase (MMP-2 and MMP-9) in pterygia and pterygium fibroblasts with disease progression and activation of protein kinase CShun Fa Yang
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:4588-96. 2009..of matrix metalloprotease (MMP)-2 and MMP-9 mRNA and activities in various stages of surgically excised pterygium specimens and cultured pterygium fibroblasts and to study the effects of activation of protein kinase C (PKC) on ..
- Proliferative effects of heparin-binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor on pterygium epithelial cells and fibroblastsTimothy M Nolan
Inflammation Research Unit, School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 45:110-3. 2004..and chemotactic effects of heparin binding epidermal growth factor-like growth factor (HB-EGF), recently shown to be upregulated by ultraviolet irradiation in pterygium-derived epithelium cells (PECs) and pterygium fibroblasts (PFs).
- Increased expression of erythropoietin receptor in human pterygial tissuesSatoru Kase
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo 060 8638, Japan
Int J Mol Med 20:699-702. 2007..b>Pterygium is a fibrovascular proliferating tissue that includes transformed cells...
- IDENTIFY LIMBAL STEM CELLS BY CELL SURFACE MARKERSRonald Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..Stevens-Johnson syndrome, ocul cicatrIcial pemphigoid, contact lenses, severe infection, congenital aniridia, pterygium, herpes simplex epithelial disease contact lens induced keratopathy, neuroparalytic keratitis, drug toxicity, or ..
- Modular Design Biotherapeutics to Treat Eye and CorneaMichael Burg; Fiscal Year: 2005..Our model proliferative disease is pterygium. In pterygium, corneal cells grow in response to endogenous EGF ligands and obscures vision...
- Short-Term Research Training for Optometry StudentsGraeme Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Trainees are encouraged to continue their participation in later summers and to incorporate their data as part of the thesis for the M.S. degree. ..
- Who drives safely? Visual/cognitive predictors in EldersSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study will provide critical data on the interactive role of vision, visual attention, and cognition in changing older persons driving behaviors, and the resulting effect on driver errors and risk of crashes. ..
- Prostate Cancer in a Black PopulationBarbara Nemesure; Fiscal Year: 2009..Study data will allow comparisons of PC risk across the African diaspora, as well as being a resource to advance PC research in AA. ..
- Latino Eye Health: A Communication Strategy for DiabetesSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007..Improvements in eye care seeking behaviors should help in avoiding visual loss from diabetic retinopathy and macula edema, the leading causes of visual loss in the working age Latino population. ..
- Yearly Mass Treatment C. Trachomatis: When Can We Stop?Sheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Antimicrobial Dental Devices and WaterlinesTED REID; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will also determine the relationship between coating density and antimicrobial efficacy. Finally, we will assess the efficacy of the coated tubing in flow cell experiments using Pseudomonas aeruginosa. ..
- Yearly Mass Treatment C. Trachomatis: When Can We Stop?Sheila West; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Cataract: Health Disparity for Older African-AmericansSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will advance the goal of reducing health disparity in visual disability from cataract among older African Americans. ..
- INTERVENTIONS FOR VISUAL LOSS IN NURSING HOME RESIDENTSSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2002..This trial will answer timely questions of the impact on the functional status of the most frail elderly of modest, potentially sustainable inputs into improving the appropriate utilization of eye care services. ..
- AMD AND RISK FACTORS IN A HISPANIC POPULATIONSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such data will advance our understanding of the magnitude of AMD in this ethnic group, and the way in which risk factors relate to AMD in different populations. ..
- TRIAL OF ANTIBIOTICS TO REDUCE RECURRENT TRICHIASISSheila West; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Prostate Cancer in a Black PopulationBarbara Nemesure; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study data will allow comparisons of PC risk across the African diaspora, as well as being a resource to advance PC research in AA. ..