Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammatory diseases of the THYROID GLAND. Thyroiditis can be classified into acute (THYROIDITIS, SUPPURATIVE), subacute (granulomatous and lymphocytic), chronic fibrous (Riedel's), chronic lymphocytic (HASHIMOTO DISEASE), transient (POSTPARTUM THYROIDITIS), and other AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS subtypes.
Publications206 found, 100 shown here
- Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosis in multifocal fibrosclerosis: positron emission tomographic findingsOlivier Drieskens
Department of Nuclear Medicine, UZ Gasthuisberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Clin Nucl Med 27:413-5. 2002The authors describe F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomographic (FDG PET) imaging features of Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosis in a patient with multifocal fibrosclerosis.
- [Diagnosis of thyroid disease. Part 2: thyroid gland nodes, diagnosis and treatment of thyroid carcinoma]S Delorme
Abteilung für Onkologische Diagnostik und Therapie, Deutsches Krebforschungszentrum, Heidelberg
Radiologe 43:179-94; quiz 194-5. 2003
- ThyroiditisElizabeth N Pearce
Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2646-55. 2003
- The natural history of interferon-alpha2b-induced thyroiditis and its exclusivity in a cohort of patients with chronic hepatitis C infectionH A Tran
Hunter Area Pathology Service, Newcastle University, Newcastle, New South Wales 2310, Australia
QJM 102:117-22. 2009..In the former, the commonest aetiology is thyroiditis. As there is no previous data to fully characterize the entity of IFN-related thyroiditis, the aim of this ..
- Riedel's thyroiditis and multifocal fibrosclerosis are part of the IgG4-related systemic disease spectrumMollie Dahlgren
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 62:1312-8. 2010Riedel's thyroiditis is a chronic fibrosing disorder of unknown etiology often associated with "multifocal fibrosclerosis...
- ThyroiditisArchana Bindra
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Am Fam Physician 73:1769-76. 2006b>Thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid gland that may be painful and tender when caused by infection, radiation, or trauma, or painless when caused by autoimmune conditions, medications, or an idiopathic fibrotic process...
- Quantitative measurement of thyroid blood flow for differentiation of painless thyroiditis from Graves' diseaseHisashi Ota
Kuma Hospital, Kobe, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:41-5. 2007..It is, however, often difficult to make this distinction without measurement of radioactive iodine uptake. We investigated the possibility that assessment of thyroid blood flow would allow differentiation between the two entities...
- Thyroid cancer, thyroiditis and dietary iodine: a review based on the Salta, Argentina modelH Ruben Harach
Servicio de Patologia, Hospital Dr A Oñativia, E Paz Chain 36, 4400 Salta, Argentina
Endocr Pathol 19:209-20. 2008..Autoimmune focal and diffuse or Hashimoto's thyroiditis are linked to dietary iodine...
- Interferon-alpha-induced destructive thyroiditis followed by Graves' disease in a patient with chronic hepatitis C: a case reportBu Kyung Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Kosin University, College of Medicine, Busan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:1638-41. 2011Interferon-induced thyroiditis (IIT) is a major clinical problem for patients receiving interferon-alpha (IFN-α) therapy. But, destructive thyroiditis followed by Graves' disease associated with IFN-α therapy is very rarely reported...
- Interferon alpha treatment and thyroid dysfunctionYaron Tomer
Division of Endocrinology, Cincinnati VA Medical Center, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 36:1051-66; x-xi. 2007..In some cases IFN-induced thyroiditis (IIT) may result in discontinuation of interferon therapy; thus, IIT represents a major clinical problem for ..
- Rapid differential diagnosis of Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis using total T3/T4 ratio, TSH, and total alkaline phosphatase activityTetsuo Yanagisawa
Department of Medicine, Institute of Clinical Endocrinology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 52:29-36. 2005..in an outpatient clinic, it is important to make a differential diagnosis of Graves' disease (GD) and painless thyroiditis (PT)...
- De Quervain's subacute thyroiditis -- colour Doppler sonography findingsA Kunz
Dep of Internal Med, Klinikum am Steinenberg, Reutlingen
Ultraschall Med 26:102-6. 2005De Quervain's subacute nonsuppurative thyroiditis has been well characterised clinically: there usually is pain in the region of the thyroid due to local pressure. Typically, the patient feels generally ill with fever...
- Ratio of serum free triiodothyronine to free thyroxine in Graves' hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis caused by painless thyroiditisJaeduk Yoshimura Noh
Ito Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 52:537-42. 2005..untreated patients with thyrotoxicosis (48 patients with Graves' disease and 34 patients with painless thyroiditis) were examined in Kuma Hospital, and 218 patients (126 with Graves' disease and 92 with painless thyroiditis) ..
- The clinical and physiological spectrum of interferon-alpha induced thyroiditis: toward a new classificationJamie C Mandac
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Hepatology 43:661-72. 2006..Some of these complications may result in discontinuation of interferon therapy. Thus, interferon induced thyroiditis (IIT) is a major clinical problem for patients receiving interferon therapy...
- Sunitinib (sutent)-induced thyrotoxicosis due to destructive thyroiditis: a case reportJason E Faris
Department of Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, 15 Parkman Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Thyroid 17:1147-9. 2007Numerous drugs have been associated with destructive thyroiditis (subacute thyroiditis)...
- Fungal thyroiditis: an overviewLuciano Z Goldani
Section of Infectious Diseases, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Mycopathologia 161:129-39. 2006The authors review the epidemiology, clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of fungal thyroiditis cases previously reported in the medical literature. Aspergillus was by far the most common cause of fungal thyroiditis...
- Acute suppurative thyroiditis in childhood: relative frequency among thyroid inflammatory diseases*M Wasniewska
J Endocrinol Invest 30:346-7. 2007
- Palpation thyroiditis causing new-onset atrial fibrillationVinh Q Mai
Department of Endocrinology, National Naval Medical Center, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Thyroid 18:571-3. 2008Surgery-induced thyroiditis can pose a significant clinical problem that is underappreciated...
- Serial changes in liver function tests in patients with thyrotoxicosis induced by Graves' disease and painless thyroiditisSumihisa Kubota
Kuma Hospital, 8 2 35, Shimoyamate dori, Chuo Ku, Kobe 650 0011, Japan
Thyroid 18:283-7. 2008..However, a question arises whether such aggravation constitutes an adverse effect of the drugs or not...
- Post-partum thyroiditis in a mediterranean population: a prospective study of a large cohort of thyroid antibody positive women at the time of deliveryM Kita
Department of Endocrinology, Hippocration General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Endocrinol Invest 25:513-9. 2002Post-partum thyroiditis (PPT) is a common disease with important clinical sequelae...
- Environmental triggers of thyroiditis: hepatitis C and interferon-αF Menconi
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 34:78-84. 2011..Interferon induced thyroiditis (IIT) can manifest as non-autoimmune thyroiditis (presenting as destructive thyroiditis, or non-autoimmune ..
- Relevance of thyroiditis and of other autoimmune diseases in children with vitiligoPaolo Iacovelli
San Gallicano Institute, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Dermatology 210:26-30. 2005..Studies that clearly define the possible association of childhood vitiligo with autoimmune and/or endocrine diseases are lacking...
- Postpartum thyroiditisJ H Lazarus
Autoimmunity 35:169-73. 2002Post partum thyroiditis occurs in 50% of TPO AB+ve women and is characterised by transient hyperthyroidism followed by transient hypothyroidism during the first six months, post partum...
- MR findings with dynamic evaluation in Riedel's thyroiditisNaoya Takahashi
Department of Radiology, Niigata University School of Medicine, 1 Asahimachi, Niigata, Niigata, Japan
Clin Imaging 26:89-91. 2002We reported the findings on MRI in a patient with proven Riedel's thyroiditis. The lesion was seen as slightly heterogeneous hypointensity on both T1- and T2-weighted images and had a mild enhancement after administration of gadpentate ..
- Growth factor-expressing mast cells accumulate at the thyroid tissue-regenerative site of subacute thyroiditisS Toda
Department of Pathology, Saga Medical School, Japan
Thyroid 10:381-6. 2000The localization and biological roles of the multifunctional cell type mast cells remain unclear in subacute thyroiditis that is characterized by both epithelioid granuloma formation and thyroid tissue repair...
- Recovery from lymphocytic hypophysitis associated with painless thyroiditis: clinical implications of circulating antipituitary antibodiesY Ozawa
Department of Internal Medicine, Toranomon Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Endocrinol (Copenh) 128:493-8. 1993..The other point to be emphasized in this case is the simultaneous development of painless thyroiditis and lymphocytic hypophysitis...
- Multifocal fibrosclerosis: a case of thyroiditis and bilateral lacrimal gland involvementK Owen
Department of Medicine, Singleton Hospital, Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Thyroid 11:1187-90. 2001A patient with invasive fibrous thyroiditis (Riedel's thyroiditis), dysphagia, and bilateral lacrimal gland involvement is described. Resolution of the thyroid mass and orbital swellings followed corticosteroid therapy...
- [Acquired childhood and juvenile subclinical hypothyroidism with or without goitre]Jean Pierre Cordray
Groupe de Recherches Cliniques en Endocrinologie, Paris 75, France
Presse Med 34:285-8. 2005Primary acquired childhood and juvenile hypothyroidism is mainly due to chronic thyroiditis or to the after effects of cervical radiotherapy for cancer...
- Postpartum thyroiditis and autoimmune thyroiditis in women of childbearing age: recent insights and consequences for antenatal and postnatal careA F Muller
Department of Immunology, Erasmus University Medical Center, 3015 GD Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Endocr Rev 22:605-30. 2001Postpartum thyroiditis is a syndrome of transient or permanent thyroid dysfunction occurring in the first year after delivery and based on an autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid. The prevalence ranges from 5-7%...
- A case of pheochromocytoma complicated with slowly progressive type 1 diabetes mellitus and chronic thyroiditisKoji Murao
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750 1, Miki cho, Kita gun 761 0793, Kagawa, Japan
Endocrine 32:350-3. 2007..report regarding a 45-year-old woman, who has been undergoing treatment for diabetes mellitus (DM) with chronic thyroiditis (euthyroid state)...
- Interferon induced thyroiditisYaron Tomer
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Box 1118, One Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:703-12. 2009..One of the commonest side effects of IFNalpha therapy is thyroiditis, with up to 40% of HCV patients on IFNalpha developing clinical or subclinical disease...
- Interferon-alpha-induced hyperthyroidism: a three-stage evolution from silent thyroiditis towards Graves' diseaseNathalie Lévy Bohbot
Service d endocrinologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Reims, Hopital Robert Debre, France
Eur J Endocrinol 154:367-72. 2006..hepatitis C for whom IFN-alpha and ribavirin were prescribed and who developed two successive phases of silent thyroiditis followed by hyperthryroidism relapse due to Graves' disease...
- Steroid responsiveness in a case of Riedel's thyroiditis and retroperitoneal fibrosisP K Moulik
Department of Medicine, Halton General Hospital, Runcorn, UK
Int J Clin Pract 58:312-5. 2004Riedel's thyroiditis is a rare chronic inflammatory disease of the thyroid characterised by an invasive fibrotic process...
- Evaluation of thyroid hormone action in a case of generalized resistance to thyroid hormone with chronic thyroiditis: discovery of a novel heterozygous missense mutation (G347A)Haruhiro Sato
Department of Medicine, Tokai University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Endocr J 54:727-32. 2007..We describe a 21-year-old Japanese woman with GRTH and coincidental chronic thyroiditis. Physical examination revealed palpable goiter, congenital alopecia on top of the head, and short stature...
- Association between lithium use and thyrotoxicosis caused by silent thyroiditisK K Miller
Neuroendocrine Unit, Department of Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 55:501-8. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the incidence of silent thyroiditis in lithium users and characterize lithium-associated thyrotoxicosis. DESIGN: Retrospective record review...
- Stimulation of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) receptor antibody production following painless thyroiditisMakoto Iitaka
Department of Internal Medicine 4, Saitama Medical School, 38 Morohongo, Moroyama, Iruma gun, Saitama, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 60:49-53. 2004Development or recurrence of Graves' disease (GD) following painless thyroiditis (PT) has been documented...
- Detection of enterovirus RNA in postoperative thyroid tissue specimensRachel Desailloud
Laboratoire de Virologie UPRES EA3610 Faculté de Médecine, Universite Lille 2, CHRU Lille, Lille, France
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:331-4. 2009Autoimmune thyroiditis is a very common disease. A genetic predisposition and environmental factors such as viruses are thought to contribute to the development of autoimmune thyroiditis...
- Genetic immunization against the human thyrotropin receptor causes thyroiditis and allows production of monoclonal antibodies recognizing the native receptorS Costagliola
IRIBHN, ULB, Euroscreen s a, Louvain Medical School, Brussels, Belgium
J Immunol 160:1458-65. 1998..We conclude that genetic immunization is an efficient method of generating Abs recognizing the native structure of the hTSHR and a new way of inducing thyroiditis in mice murine.
- Drug-induced thyroiditis and papillary carcinoma in a minocycline-pigmented black thyroid glandLyndal Tacon
Department of Endocrinology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Thyroid 18:795-7. 2008..was no evidence of Graves' disease or autonomous nodule on thyroid scintigraphy, and a clinical diagnosis of thyroiditis was made...
- An unusual form of Riedel's thyroiditis: a case report and review of the literatureS Fontaine
Department of Endocrinology, CHU Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Thyroid 15:85-8. 2005..A total thyroidectomy was performed. Histopathologic findings led to the diagnosis of Riedel's thyroiditis. We observed a dramatic improvement after surgery with absence of fever and normalization of inflammatory ..
- Occurrence of Riedel's thyroiditis in the course of sub-acute thyroiditisT Kabalak
Ege University Endocrinology Department, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
J Endocrinol Invest 23:399-401. 2000Riedel's Thyroiditis is an uncommon form of chronic thyroiditis characterized by an invasive fibrosclerosis of the gland, often involving surrounding tissue...
- Eye signs and serum eye muscle and collagen XIII antibodies in patients with transient and progressive thyroiditisBamini Gopinath
Thyroid Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, University of Sydney, Nepean Hospital, Penrith, NSW 2751, Australia
Thyroid 17:1123-9. 2007There have been reports of the development of ophthalmopathy in patients with subacute thyroiditis (SAT) in the absence of Graves' disease and thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor (TSH-r) antibodies.
- [Concurrence of myasthenia gravis, polymyositis, thyroiditis and eosinophilia in a patient with type B1 thymoma]Manabu Inoue
Department of Neurology, Ijinkai Takeda General Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:423-8. 2007..After the thymectomy, corticosteroid administration and immunoadsorption therapy, clinical symptoms and all laboratory abnormalities markedly improved...
- Riedel's thyroiditis treated with tamoxifenNina Dabelic
Department of Oncology and Nuclear Medicine, Sisters of Mercy University Hospital, Vinogradska 29, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 44:239-41. 2003A 46-year-old woman with clinical diagnosis of Riedel's thyroiditis was admitted to our Department, presenting with dyspnea, dysphagia, fatigue, and hoarseness...
- Viruses and thyroiditis: an updateRachel Desailloud
Laboratoire de Virologie UPRES EA3610 Faculté de Médecine, Universite Lille 2, CHRU Lille, Centre de Biologie Pathologie et Parc Eurasanté, 59037 Lille, France
Virol J 6:5. 2009Viral infections are frequently cited as a major environmental factor involved in subacute thyroiditis and autoimmune thyroid diseases This review examines the data related to the role of viruses in the development of thyroiditis...
- Transient thyroiditis after treatment with lenalidomide in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinomaEmily M Stein
Department of Medicine Endocrinology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York 10021, USA
Thyroid 17:681-3. 2007..features of this patient's presentation are most consistent with immune-mediated subacute destructive thyroiditis. This case highlights the importance of monitoring thyroid function in the growing number of patients being ..
- Riedel's thyroiditis and fibrous variant of Hashimoto's thyroiditis: a clinicopathological and immunohistochemical studyG Papi
Department of Internal Medicine, A U S L Modena, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 26:444-9. 2003The aim of this study was to analyze and compare clinico pathological aspects of Riedel's thyroiditis (RT) and the fibrous variant of Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HTFV), and to show their immunohistochemical features...
- CD7 and CD28 are required for murine CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cell homeostasis and prevention of thyroiditisGregory D Sempowski
Department of Medicine and the Duke University Human Vaccine Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3258, Research Park Building 1, Room 113, Research Drive, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Immunol 172:787-94. 2004..b>Thyroiditis developed in aged CD7/CD28-double-deficient mice (>1 year) that was not seen in age-matched control mice or ..
- Intrathyroidal branchial cleft-like cyst in chronic thyroiditisR Haba
First Department of Pathology, Kagawa Medical School, Kagawa, Japan
Pathol Int 50:897-900. 2000..The patient is currently well with no evidence or recurrence for 43 months...
- Dissociation between iodide-induced thyroiditis and antibody-mediated hyperthyroidism in NOD.H-2h4 miceSandra M McLachlan
Autoimmune Disease Unit, Cedars Sinai Research Institute and University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Endocrinology 146:294-300. 2005..predisposed to thyroid autoimmunity and spontaneously develop thyroglobulin autoantibodies (TgAb) and thyroiditis. Iodide administration enhances TgAb levels and the incidence and severity of thyroiditis...
- Cytological correlation in patients who have a pre-diagnosis of thyroiditis ultrasonographicallyOzlem Aydin
Department of Pathology, Mersin University Medical School, Mersin Icel, Turkey
Endocr Res 29:97-106. 2003Radiological-cytopathological correlation in patients who are prediagnosed ultrasonographically as thyroiditis.
- Both CD4(+) T cells and CD8(+) T cells are required for iodine accelerated thyroiditis in NOD miceP R Hutchings
Department of Pathology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge, CB2 1QP, United Kingdom
Cell Immunol 192:113-21. 1999..diabetes mellitus, displays a tendency in common with human diabetic populations to develop autoimmune thyroiditis although incidence and severity of thyroid lesions vary widely among different colonies around the world...
- Postpartum thyroiditis: epidemiology and clinical evolution in a nonselected populationA Lucas
Endocrinology Service, Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, Badalona, Catalonia, Spain
Thyroid 10:71-7. 2000Postpartum thyroiditis (PPT) presents in approximately 5% of women. Its incidence, clinical characteristics, and evolution were studied in a nonselected population of Mediterranean women...
- [Subclinical hypothyroidism]Toshihiko Yokota
Department of Endocrinology and Rheumatology, Kurashiki Central Hospital
Nihon Rinsho . 2006
- Glucocorticoid response in amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis resulting from destructive thyroiditis is predicted by thyroid volume and serum free thyroid hormone concentrationsFausto Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Ospedale Cisanello, Via Paradisa, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:556-62. 2007Amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT) resulting from destructive thyroiditis (type 2) is commonly treated with glucocorticoids, but time needed to restore euthyroidism may be unacceptable for patients with underlying cardiac disorders.
- Radionuclide imaging of the thyroid gland: patterns, pearls, and pitfallsJoel R Smith
Department of Radiology, New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Nucl Med 29:181-93. 2004..By integrating the interpretive and technical "pearls" and "pitfalls" outlined in this article, the radiologist can be more confident in establishing a proper diagnosis...
- Radiotherapy-induced thyroid disordersBarbara A Jereczek-Fossa
Department of Radiation Oncology, European Institute of Oncology, 435 Via Ripamonti, 20141 Milan, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 30:369-84. 2004..These sequelae may include primary or central hypothyroidism, thyroiditis, Graves' disease, euthyroid Graves' ophthalmopathy, benign adenomas, multinodular goitre and radiation-induced ..
- [Spectrometric assessment of thyroid depth within the radioiodine test]T Rink
Abteilung für Nuklearmedizin, Klinikum Stadt Honau, J W Goethe Universität Frankfurt, Main
Nuklearmedizin 44:192-6. 2005..Aim of this study is the validation of a simple method for evaluating the depth of the target volume within the radioiodine test by analyzing the emitted iodine-131 energy spectrum...
- Thyroid hemiagenesis with postpartum silent thyroiditisShigenori Nakamura
Department of Internal Medicine, Gifu Red Cross Hospital, Gifu
Intern Med 43:306-9. 2004..This clinical course indicates that she developed silent thyroiditis after the delivery...
- [Thyroid diseases in sub-Saharan Africa]El Hassane Sidibé
Centre médical Marc Sankalé, BP 5062, Fann Dakar, Senegal
Sante 17:33-9. 2007..2%), most often with euthyroid goiters (54.7%), followed by Graves disease (13.1%), hypothyroidism (8.8%), thyroiditis (6.6%), toxic multinodular goiters (6.6 %) and unclassified goiters (10%) [Gabon]...
- Thyroid pathology and the globus symptom: are they related? A two year prospective trialP Burns
Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Victoria Eye and Ear Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
J Laryngol Otol 121:242-5. 2007..The globus sensation is a constant feeling of a lump in the throat and may be associated with thyroid enlargement. A two year prospective study was set up to ascertain the relationship between thyroid pathology and globus symptoms...
- The incidence of gestational hyperthyroidism and postpartum thyroiditis in treated patients with Graves' diseaseTetsuya Tagami
Clinical Research Institute, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Kyoto Medical Center, National Hospital Organization, Kyoto 612 8555, Japan
Thyroid 17:767-72. 2007..Postpartum transient thyroiditis (PTT) is a destructive thyroiditis induced by autoimmune mechanism in the postpartum period...
- Induction of goitrous hypothyroidism by dietary iodide in SJL miceHaiyan S Li
Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, Canada
Endocrinology 148:2747-52. 2007..the incidence of goiter and/or hypothyroidism in humans as well as animals prone to spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis. In the current study, we investigated the role of dietary iodide on the development of hypothyroidism, as well ..
- [Current thyroid diagnostics and therapy in disorders of fertility and in pregnancy]Heike J Fink
Medizinische Klinik, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus des Universitätsklinikums Schleswig Holstein, Campus Lubeck
Med Klin (Munich) 101:645-52; quiz 653-4. 2006
- [Sonography of the thyroid]W Wiesner
Medizinisch Radiologisches Zentrum, Klinik Stephanshorn, St Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:575-80. 2006....
- HyperthyroidismBindu Nayak
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Georgetown University Hospital, 4000 Reservoir Road, Building D, Suite 232, Washington, DC 20007, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 36:617-56, v. 2007..Thyrotoxicosis is a condition resulting from elevated levels of thyroid hormone. In this article, the authors review the presentation, diagnosis, and management of various causes of thyrotoxicosis...
- Usefulness of the 2nd generation assay for anti-TSH receptor antibodies to differentiate relapse of Graves' thyrotoxicosis from development of painless thyroiditis after antithyroid drug treatment for Graves' diseaseYukiko Izumi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka
Endocr J 52:493-7. 2005..antithyroid drug (ATD) treatment for Graves' disease, either a relapse of Graves' thyrotoxicosis or painless thyroiditis can develop...
- [Dysplasias and tumors of the thyroid gland]M V Fridman
Vopr Onkol 52:205-8. 2006
- Association between human leukocyte antigen (HLA) and interferon- induced thyroid diseases in four patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitisGiancarlo Labbadia
Department of Medical Therapy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:109-12. 2005..The interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) therapy for HCV hepatitis may exacerbate or induce underlying thyroid disorders. Besides viral factors, the human leukocyte antigen (HLA) may be an independent risk factor...
- Treatment of post-partum thyrotoxicosisF Azizi
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 19395 4763, Tehran, IR Iran
J Endocrinol Invest 29:244-7. 2006..Graves' disease and post-partum thyroiditis are two major causes of thyrotoxicosis in this period...
- [Surgery of the thyroid gland. I]C L Weiss
Martin Luther Universitat Halle Wittenberg, Universitätsklinik für Allgemeinchirurgie, Halle Saale
Zentralbl Chir 129:W76-83. 2004
- Thyroid evaluation in patients with primary hyperparathyroidismToshihiro Masatsugu
Noguchi Thyroid Clinic and Hospital Foundation, Beppu, Oita, Japan
Endocr J 52:177-82. 2005..Eight (88.9%) of the 9 non-palpable thyroid cancers were accurately diagnosed by combined US and US-FNAB. Preoperative US is useful for evaluation of possible concomitant thyroid disease, especially for prediction of malignancy...
- Immunohistochemistry differentiates papillary thyroid carcinoma arising in ectopic thyroid tissue from secondary lymph node metastasesDaniela Cabibi
Human Pathology Department, University School of Medicine, Via del Vespro, Palermo, Italy
Thyroid 17:603-7. 2007..To verify whether immunohistochemistry might be useful in the distinction between a true laterocervical metastasis of an undetected thyroid carcinoma and a primary tumor outside the gland...
- [Subacute thyroiditis and silent thyroiditis]Kouki Mori
Division of Nephrology, Endocrinology and Vascular Medicine, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:122-6. 2005
- [Treatment of hyperthyroidisms in Brazzaville Teaching Hospital, Congo]H G Monabeka
Service des maladies métaboliques et endocriniennes CHU Brazzaville, Congo
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 98:91-3. 2005..6%) had toxic multinodular goitre while the rest had toxic adenoma (7.6%), and thyroiditis (4.2%). The mean age was 26.6 +/- 7.9 years for Graves' cases and 49.4 +/- 9...
- Diagnosis and management of thyrotoxicosisElizabeth N Pearce
Boston University Medical Center, 88 East Newton Street, Evans 201, Boston, MA 02118, USA
BMJ 332:1369-73. 2006
- Two cases of atrophic thyroiditis with unilateral low radioiodine uptake on the right lobe in thyroid scintigramMichiyo Mizota
Department of Pediatrics, Kagoshima University, Kagoshima, Japan
Pediatr Int 47:456-8. 2005
- High diagnostic value of a radioiodine uptake test with and without iodine restriction in Graves' disease and silent thyroiditisTetsuya Hiraiwa
First Department of Medicine, Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki City, Osaka, Japan
Thyroid 14:531-5. 2004..RAIU value, and the necessity of iodine restriction in differentiating between Graves' disease (GD) and silent thyroiditis (ST)...
- Role of FNAC and antithyroid antibodies in the diagnosis of thyroid disordersSyed Riaz Mehdi
Department of Pathology, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Indian J Pathol Microbiol 46:184-90. 2003..The cases were divided into four groups. Cases of thyroiditis on FNAC showed predominance of lymphocytes (76%), hurthle cells (77%), epithelioid cells and giant cells (31%) ..
- Peroxiredoxin I expression in human thyroid tumorsT Yanagawa
Division of Head and Neck Surgery, Chiba Cancer Center Hospital, Japan
Cancer Lett 145:127-32. 1999..The Prx I expression level in 107 samples out of 60 thyroid lesions, including normal thyroid, tumors and thyroiditis including Graves' disease were examined using immunoblotting...
- [Thyroiditis in patients operated on for goiter]Wojciech Cichoń
Klinika Chirurgii Endokrynologicznej, III Katedry Chirurgii Ogólnej, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego, Krakow
Przegl Lek 59:129-31. 2002The paper is aimed at evaluating the frequency of incidence and the thyroiditis type in patients operated on for goiter. In the years 1989-2000, 5149 patients were operated on because of different thyroid disorders...
- Simple and practical parameters for differentiation between destruction-induced thyrotoxicosis and Graves' thyrotoxicosisYukiko Izumi
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Japan
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 57:51-8. 2002..It is, however, often difficult to make this distinction without measurement of radioactive iodine uptake. We searched for simple and practical parameters that might allow differentiation between the two entities...
- [Thyroid gland diagnosis. 1: Diffuse diseases, epithelial bodies]S Delorme
Abteilung Onkologische Diagnostik und Therapie, Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum DKFZ, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg
Radiologe 42:309-25; quiz 326-7. 2002
- Management of thyrotoxicosisJoseph N Fisher
Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
South Med J 95:493-505. 2002
- The use of dual phase 201Tl thyroid scan for equivocal fine-needle aspiration results in cold thyroid nodulesC C Lin
Department of Family Medicine, China Medical College Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Anticancer Res 21:2969-72. 2001..We concluded that dual phase Tl thyroid scan was very helpful in differentiating between benign and malignant thyroid nodules when FNA results were equivocal...
- Prevalence and characteristics of postpartum thyroid dysfunction in TehranH B Shahbazian
Endocrine Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Eur J Endocrinol 145:397-401. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the prevalence of postpartum thyroiditis (PPT), one of the autoimmune disorders of the thyroid which usually occurs in women in the first year after parturition...
- Influence of L-thyroxine therapy on parathyroid hormone concentrationsAdonios Zanglis
Clin Chem 54:1092-3. 2008
- Induction of autoimmune hypothyroidism and subsequent hyperthyroidism by TSH receptor antibodies following subacute thyroiditis: a case reportM Iitaka
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Saitama Medical School, Japan
Endocr J 48:139-42. 2001A 45 year-old man had a typical episode of subacute thyroiditis with tender goiter, depressed radioiodine uptake (RAIU) and elevated erythrocyte sedimentation rate...
- [A comparative study of cytological and histological studies of the thyroid gland]P Emmrich
Zentralbl Chir 126:267-72. 2001..The groups I and II contained cases with multinodular goitre, thyroiditis and follicular adenomas, but 4 carcinomas too...
- Thyroid cytology and the risk of malignancy in thyroid nodules: importance of nuclear atypia in indeterminate specimensA S Kelman
Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Thyroid 11:271-7. 2001..For nodules with benign FNA cytologic diagnoses of nodular goiter and chronic thyroiditis there was a low risk of malignancy (6/99, or 6.1%)...
- Platelet-activating factor and human thyroid cancerYves Denizot
UMR CNRS 6101, Faculte de Medecine, Limoges, France
Eur J Endocrinol 153:31-40. 2005....
- Cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase activity in hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in humansG Sauter
Department of Medicine II, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Germany
Horm Metab Res 29:176-9. 1997..6 ng/ml vs 14.7 +/- 8.1 ng/ml before treatment, n.s.). These findings indicate that in humans, thyroid hormones influence serum lipid concentrations by other mechanisms than by affecting the activity of cholesterol 7 alpha-hydroxylase...
- Foetal and neonatal thyroid disordersG Radetti
Departments of Pediatrics, Regional Hospital of Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Minerva Pediatr 54:383-400. 2002..The most common causes are maternal thyroid autoimmune disorders, such as Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Rarer non autoimmune causes recently identified are represented by TSH receptor mutations leading to ..
- [Subacute thyroiditis with cell destruction and temporary hyperthyroidism in Graves'disease--case report]R Pichler
Institut für Nuklearmedizin und Endokrinologie, Allgemeines Krankenhaus Linz, Krankenhausstrasse 9, A 4020 Linz
Acta Med Austriaca 29:137-40. 2002..Three months later hypothyroidism was observed requiring treatment with levothyroxine. The development of subacute thyroiditis and Graves' disease in the same person is rare, autoimmune factors and a possible relationship are discussed.
- Fine-needle aspiration of Riedel's disease: report of a case and review of the literatureMalini Harigopal
Department of Pathology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 30:193-7. 2004The cytomorphological features of a case of Riedel's thyroiditis (Riedel's disease) in a 37-yr-old woman are reviewed...
- Visual vignette. Riedel's fibrosing thyroiditisRajaa Nahra
Section of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Endocr Pract 9:571. 2003
- Possible induction of Graves' disease and painless thyroiditis by gonadotropin-releasing hormone analoguesNobuyuki Amino
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Suita, Osaka, Japan
Thyroid 13:815-8. 2003..Another patient developed painless thyroiditis in association with an increase in antithyroid microsomal antibodies at 4 months after initiation of leuprolide ..
- The treatment of post-partum thyroid diseaseP J D Owen
J Endocrinol Invest 26:290-1. 2003
- The mechanisms of autoimmunity in endocrinology: application to the thyroid glandA P Weetman
University of Sheffield Clinical Sciences Centre, Northern General Hospital, Sheffield, S57AU, United Kingdom
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 64:26-7. 2003
- Hypothyroidism and women's healthGeoffrey P Redmond
Hormone Center of New York, Center for Health Research, Inc, New York 10021, USA
Int J Fertil Womens Med 47:123-7. 2002..Confirmation of diagnosis is based on laboratory tests, not symptoms. With Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause, the thyroid is usually firm and irregular to palpation...
- [The thyroid pyramidal lobe: frequency, morphological features and related diseases]Giovanni Sturniolo
Cattedra di Chirurgia Generale, UOC di Chirurgia Generale a Indirizzo Endocrino, Universita degli Studi di Messina, Messina
Chir Ital 60:41-6. 2008..5% of cases, mostly in women, the primary disease invariably arising from the main gland. The Authors conclude that the pyramidal lobe is an embryological remnant which may be involved in diseases arising from the main gland...
- Functional Anergy in B CellsLAWRENCE WYSOCKI; Fiscal Year: 2009..type I diabetes, arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, myasthenia gravis, graves disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, pemphigus vulgaris, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, scleroderma, autoimmune uveitis, hemolytic anemia and ..
- RETROVIRAL ETIOLOGY OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISAndrew Mason; Fiscal Year: 2002..PBC patients are also prone to develop other autoimmune diseases such as Sjogren's syndrome, thyroiditis, and systemic lupus erythematosus...
- Thyroid Epithelial Cell Hyperplasia: Mechanisms of InductionHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2010Wild-type (WT) and IL-4-/- NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0.05% NaI water develop lymphocytic spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (L-SAT) with B and T cell infiltration of the thyroid, and production of anti-thyroglobulin antibody...
- T CELL RECOGNITION--REPERTOIRE IN AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITISYI CHI KONG; Fiscal Year: 2001The overall goal is to use murine experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (eat) as a model to probe the recognitory and pathogenic mechanisms leading to thyroid damage in Hashimoto's thyroititis (HT), the hypothyroid syndrome...
- ETIOLOGY AND PATHOGENESIS OF PEMPHIGUSLuis A Diaz; Fiscal Year: 2010..At the completion of this application we will have a better understanding of other human autoimmune diseases like lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroiditis, and others.
- Interferon gamma in autoimmune thyroiditis & thyroid functionPatrizio Caturegli; Fiscal Year: 2007Interferon gamma (IFNgamma) has been implicated in the pathogenesis of autoimmune (Hashimoto's) thyroiditis. We have generated transgenic mice that express IFNg specifically in the thyroid gland, and shown that IFNgamma a) directly ..
- Ret Signaling in Paraneoplastic Peripheral NeuropathyJOSEPHINE FOX; Fiscal Year: 2007This is a research plan to investigate whether peripheral neuropathy, observed in Hashimoto's thyroiditis patients and papillary carcinoma patients, is caused by autoantibodies specific for the extracellular domain of the c-RET tyrosine ..
- SIGNALING CROSSTALK AND THYROID CELL SURVIVALJudy Meinkoth; Fiscal Year: 2003..In Hashimoto's thyroiditis (HT), a specific immune response to thyroid antigens leads to lymphocytic infiltration, follicular cell ..
- PATHOGENESIS AND THERAPY OF AUTOIMMUNE THYROID DISEASELESLIE DEGROOT; Fiscal Year: 1993Autoimmune thyroid disease (Graves' disease, thyroiditis, myxedema) affects 6% of women during their life span...
- MOLECULAR AND BIOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF THE CANINE MHCJohn Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2001..Adapted from the applicant's abstract): Canine models of human diseases have been used to study autoimmune thyroiditis, gluten-sensitive enteropathy, narcolepsy, complement deficiencies, and solid organ and hematopoietic ..
- Mechanisms by which B cell depletion inhibits autoimmune diseasesHELEN B MULLEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..is to determine how B cells regulate development of autoimmune diseases in a model of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis (SAT). All wild-type (WT) NOD.H-2h4 mice given 0...