Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pituitary adenoma which secretes PROLACTIN, leading to HYPERPROLACTINEMIA. Clinical manifestations include AMENORRHEA; GALACTORRHEA; IMPOTENCE; HEADACHE; visual disturbances; and CEREBROSPINAL FLUID RHINORRHEA.
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Surgical outcomes in hyporesponsive prolactinomas: analysis of patients with resistance or intolerance to dopamine agonistsD Kojo Hamilton
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
Pituitary 8:53-60. 2005Surgery for prolactinoma patients is usually reserved for those who are intolerant of or have an inadequate response to medication. We report the results of surgical treatment in these patients.
- Prognostic factors in prolactin pituitary tumors: clinical, histological, and molecular data from a series of 94 patients with a long postoperative follow-upGerald Raverot
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 842, Universite de Lyon, Lyon 1, Unité Mixte de Recherche UMR S842, Faculté de médecine Lyon Est, F 69372 Lyon, Cedex 08, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1708-16. 2010..Predicting pituitary tumor behavior remains a challenge. This multiparameter investigation aimed to identify markers for recurrence and progression in prolactin tumors...
- Advances in the treatment of prolactinomasMary P Gillam
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Endocr Rev 27:485-534. 2006....
- Common ancestral mutation in the MEN1 gene is likely responsible for the prolactinoma variant of MEN1 (MEN1Burin) in four kindreds from NewfoundlandS E Olufemi
Laboratory of Gene Transfer, National Human Genome Research Institute, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4442, USA
Hum Mutat 11:264-9. 1998..5 Mb region. A nonsense mutation in the MEN1 gene has been found to be responsible for the disease in the affected members in all four of the MEN1Burin families, providing convincing evidence of a common founder...
- Diagnosis and treatment of hyperprolactinemia: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guidelineShlomo Melmed
Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:273-88. 2011..The aim was to formulate practice guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hyperprolactinemia...
- Operative treatment of prolactinomas: indications and results in a current consecutive series of 212 patientsJ Kreutzer
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Schwabachanlage 6, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 158:11-8. 2008..Classical' surgical indications are intolerance or lack of efficiency of DA therapy. Focusing on a possible shift of recent indications, we retrospectively analyzed our results of surgical treatment in prolactinomas...
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of dopamine agonists: systematic review and meta-analysisOlaf M Dekkers
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, C4 R, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:43-51. 2010..Dopamine agonists are the treatment of choice for prolactinomas and symptomatic idiopathic hyperprolactinemia. However, the optimal treatment strategy and treatment duration is not clear in all details...
- Clinical practice. ProlactinomaJanet A Schlechte
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2035-41. 2003
- Pituitary surgery for small prolactinomas as an alternative to treatment with dopamine agonistsMuriel Babey
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Berne, Inselspital, 3010, Berne, Switzerland
Pituitary 14:222-30. 2011..guidelines recommend long-term dopamine agonist (DA) therapy as a first-line approach to the treatment of small prolactinoma, some patients continue to prefer a primary surgical approach...
- A mechanism of acquiring temozolomide resistance during transformation of atypical prolactinoma into prolactin-producing pituitary carcinoma: case reportMineko Murakami
Department of Neurosurgery, Teikyo University Chiba Medical Center, Ichihara City, Chiba, Japan
Neurosurgery 68:E1761-7; discussion E1767. 2011The case presented here describes the clinical evolution of a pituitary carcinoma from an atypical prolactinoma after temozolomide (TMZ) treatment. The mechanism of acquisition of TMZ resistance was analyzed.
- Efficacy and safety of cabergoline as first line treatment for invasive giant prolactinomaEun Hee Cho
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:874-8. 2009Although cabergoline is effective in the treatment of micro- and macro-prolactinoma, little is known about its efficacy in the treatment of invasive giant prolactinoma...
- Issues in flow and oxygenation dependent contrast (FLOOD) imaging of tumoursF A Howe
CRC Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Research Group, Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London SW17 ORE, UK
NMR Biomed 14:497-506. 2001..We have measured the R(2)* changes in a prolactinoma tumour model for a variety of vasoactive challenges [carbogen, 100% oxygen and 100% nitrogen as different ..
- Temozolomide in the treatment of an invasive prolactinoma resistant to dopamine agonistsLisa M Neff
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Pituitary 10:81-6. 2007..In this report, we describe a patient with an invasive prolactinoma resistant to conventional therapy that responded to the administration of the alkylating agent, temozolomide.
- Prolactinomas in children and adolescents. Clinical presentation and long-term follow-upA Colao
Dipartimento di Endocrinologia ed Oncologia Molecolare e Clinica, Universita Federico II di Napoli, Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2777-80. 1998..we report the clinical presentation, response to medical treatment, and long-term follow-up of 26 patients with prolactinoma (15 macro- and 11 micro-adenomas) diagnosed at the age of 7-17 yr...
- Giant prolactinomas: clinical management and long-term follow upRaj K Shrivastava
Department of Neurosurgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, New York 10029, USA
J Neurosurg 97:299-306. 2002..Giant prolactinomas are rare tumors whose treatment and outcome has only been addressed in isolated case reports. The authors document the long-term follow-up findings and clinical outcome in a group of patients with giant prolactinomas...
- Effectiveness of long-term cabergoline treatment for giant prolactinoma: study of 12 menIlan Shimon
Institute of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Hospital, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Eur J Endocrinol 156:225-31. 2007..To review our experience with cabergoline, a D2-selective dopamine agonist, for the treatment of giant prolactinomas...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 variant with frequent prolactinoma and rare gastrinomaWei Hao
Metabolic Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3776-84. 2004..Results in cases from two kindreds were that 93% showed parathyroid adenoma, 40% pituitary tumor (always prolactinoma), and 27% enteropancreatic endocrine tumor...
- Efficacy of cabergoline on rapid escalation of dose in men with macroprolactinomasA Bhansali
Departments of Endocrinology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh, India
Indian J Med Res 131:530-5. 2010..This possibly results in delayed normalization of serum prolactin and slow reduction in tumour size. This study was planned to assess the efficacy and safety of rapid escalation of cabergoline doses in men with macroprolactinomas...
- Predictive value of serum prolactin levels measured immediately after transsphenoidal surgeryArun P Amar
Department of Neurosurgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
J Neurosurg 97:307-14. 2002....
- Cabergoline: a first-choice treatment in patients with previously untreated prolactin-secreting pituitary adenomaS Cannavo
Cattedra di Endocrinologia, Universita di Messina, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 22:354-9. 1999..In conclusion, this study confirms the effectiveness and safety of CAB for patients with PRL-secreting pituitary adenoma and suggests that it can be considered a first choice treatment...
- Increased prevalence of tricuspid regurgitation in patients with prolactinomas chronically treated with cabergolineAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Napoli, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3777-84. 2008..Cabergoline, a dopamine receptor-2 agonist used to treat prolactinomas, was associated with increased risk of cardiac valve disease in Parkinson's disease...
- Prolactin and prostate hypertrophy: a pilot observational, prospective, case-control study in men with prolactinomaAnnamaria Colao
Department of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology and Oncology, University Federico II of Naples, 80131 Naples, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2770-5. 2004..prostate enlargement in humans, we designed this open, prospective, case-control study enrolling 20 men with prolactinoma (aged 34 +/- 10 yr) and 20 age-matched healthy men...
- Metastatic prolactinoma presenting as a cervical spinal cord tumour in multiple endocrine neoplasia type one (MEN-1)Michelle V Gordon
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 66:150-2. 2007
- Cabergoline treatment of pregnant women with macroprolactinomasM Laloi-Michelin
AP HP, Hopital Lariboisiere, Service de médecine interne B, Paris, France
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 99:61-2. 2007
- Progression on metastatic neuroendocrine carcinoma from a recurrent prolactinoma: a case reportM Sironi
Department of Pathology, Legnano General Hospital, Legnano, Milano, Italy
J Clin Pathol 55:148-51. 2002..The patient was known in the department because of previous multiple surgery for a locally invasive pituitary prolactinoma (eight years, three years, and one year previously)...
- Body fat in nonobese women with prolactinoma treated with dopamine agonistsErika C O Naliato
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Hyperprolactinemia Unit, Clementino Fraga Filho University Hospital, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 67:845-52. 2007To evaluate body fat in nonobese women with prolactinoma treated with dopamine agonists, using whole body dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and to correlate DXA results with biochemical data and clinical aspects of the prolactinoma.
- Prolactinoma in some Ménière's patients--is stress involved?Kathleen C Horner
Laboratoire d Otologie, Hopital Nord, Marseille, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 26:135-8. 2002..The presence of prolactinoma was confirmed by MRI in six cases out of six investigated and the others have not yet been followed up in this ..
- Gene expression study of thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) receptor using RT-PCR: relationship to clinical and immunohistochemical phenotypes in a series of human pituitary adenomasJunko Igarashi-Migitaka
Department of Anatomy, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Sugao, Kawasaki 216 8511, Japan
Endocr J 50:459-67. 2003..It should be noted that the PRL response to TRH in prolactinoma or an abnormal response of gonadotropin and/or its subunits to TRH in gonadotroph cell adenomas is considered ..
- Malignant prolactinoma: case report and review of the literatureMarleen Kars
Department of Endocrinology, Leiden University Medical Center, Albinusdreef 2, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 155:523-34. 2006..In addition, we reviewed all available literature on published cases of malignant prolactinoma and detailed their epidemiological, clinical, and histopathological characteristics...
- Endocrinological outcome following first time transsphenoidal surgery for GH-, ACTH-, and PRL-secreting pituitary adenomasR A Kristof
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 144:555-61; discussion 561. 2002..To study remission rates and pituitary functions following transsphenoidal surgery of newly diagnosed GH-, ACTH-, and PRL-secreting pituitary adenomas...
- A case of postprandial cluster-like headache with prolactinoma: dramatic response to cabergolineKiyoshi Negoro
Headache 45:604-6. 2005..Magnetic resonance images showed a pituitary tumor. Just after starting treatment with cabergoline, the headaches resolved completely and the patient has been absolutely free from such headache attacks for 2 years...
- Pathological changes after radiotherapy for primary pituitary carcinoma: a case reportHideomi Yamashita
Department of Radiology, University of Tokyo Hospital, 7 3 1, Hongo, Bunnkyou ku, Tokyo 113 8655, Japan
J Neurooncol 75:209-14. 2005..We confirmed that necrosis but no apoptosis were coexistent in the cells post irradiation for pituitary carcinoma...
- First reported pediatric case of systemic lupus erythematosus associated with prolactinomaPeter D Reuman
Pediatric Rheumatology and Clinical Research, Children s Hospital Medical Center, One Perkins Square, Akron, OH 44308, USA
Arthritis Rheum 50:3616-8. 2004..We present the first reported pediatric case of prolactinoma associated with SLE, in a 13-year-old white female...
- Pharmacologic resistance in prolactinoma patientsMark E Molitch
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Tarry 15 731, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Pituitary 8:43-52. 2005..Reduction of endogenous estrogen, use of selective estrogen receptor modulators, and aromatase inhibitors are potential experimental approaches...
- Giant invasive pituitary prolactinoma with falsely low serum prolactin: the significance of 'hook effect'Maria Fleseriu
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Neurooncol 79:41-3. 2006..His prolactin was found to be 13,144 ng/ml in our lab after surgery confirming the diagnosis of invasive giant prolactinoma. The patient developed a complete right third, fourth and sixth nerve palsy postoperatively...
- Incidence of pituitary tumors in the human population of CroatiaMilan Vrkljan
Center for Clinical Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Diseases, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, University Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Coll Antropol 30:157-61. 2006..The patient's classification is based on regional (Mediterranean and continental region, 20 counties) and the state level. In our analysis we haven't found difference in incidence of tumors between Mediterranean and continental region...
- The novel use of very high doses of cabergoline and a combination of testosterone and an aromatase inhibitor in the treatment of a giant prolactinomaMary P Gillam
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism, and Molecular Medicine, Northwestern University, The Feinberg Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4447-51. 2002..Ultimately, further reduction in PRL on this therapy permitted endogenous testosterone production. Thus, novel pharmacological maneuvers may permit successful medical treatment of some patients with invasive macroprolactinomas...
- The assessment of cabergoline efficacy and tolerability in patients with pituitary prolactinoma typePaweł Bolko
Department of Endocrinology, Internal Diseases and Metabolism, Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Pol Arch Med Wewn 109:489-95. 2003b>Prolactinoma is the most frequent type of secreting pituitary tumours. In the treatment, pharmacotherapy with dopamine agonists is considered the first-line option...
- Guidelines of the Pituitary Society for the diagnosis and management of prolactinomasFelipe F Casanueva
Department of Medicine, Endocrine Division, Santiago de Compostela University, Spain
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 65:265-73. 2006....
- Headache induced by dopamine agonists prescribed for prolactinoma: think SUNCT!A J Larner
Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Fazakerley, Liverpool, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:360-1. 2006..neuralgiform headache with conjunctival injection and tearing (SUNCT) syndrome may be associated with pituitary prolactinoma and may be induced by treatment of prolactinoma with dopamine agonists...
- Use of the Leksell gamma knife in the treatment of prolactinoma patientsJana Jezkova
Third Department of Medicine, First Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:732-41. 2009..Surgical and radiation treatment is also indicated in certain situations. We describe our 12-year experience in treating prolactinomas with the Leksell gamma knife (LGK)...
- [Cabergoline-induced tension pneumocephalus in a patient with giant invasive prolactinoma. Case report]J Castro-Castro
Servicios de Neurocirugía, Complejo Hospitalario de Ourense, Ourense, Espana
Neurocirugia (Astur) 22:558-61; discussion 561. 2011..He had been treated for 2 weeks with cabergoline after an invasive prolactinoma was discovered...
- Effects of different levels of hypercapnic hyperoxia on tumour R(2)* and arterial blood gasesS P Robinson
CRC Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Research Group, Division of Biochemistry and Immunology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Magn Reson Imaging 19:161-6. 2001..The data support the concept that levels of hypercapnia can be reduced without loss of enhanced oxygenation and hence potential radiotherapeutic benefit...
- An Intronic mutation is associated with prolactinoma in a young boy, decreased penetrance in his large family, and variable effects on MEN1 mRNA and proteinL Drori-Herishanu
Section of Endocrinology and Genetics, Program on Developmental Endocrinology Genetics PDEGEN, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Horm Metab Res 41:630-4. 2009Prolactinomas are rare tumors in prepubertal children. A prolactinoma in a young child may be due to sequence variants in genes that are known to cause these tumors ( MEN1, PRKAR1A, AIP)...
- Tumor tissue identification in the pseudocapsule of pituitary adenoma: should the pseudocapsule be removed for total resection of pituitary adenoma?Eun Jig Lee
Division of Endocrinology, Pituitary Tumor Clinic, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Neurosurgery 64:ons62-9; discussion ons69-70. 2009..We investigated the precise histology of the pseudocapsule. Furthermore, we evaluated the remission rate, the changes in pituitary function, and the recurrence rate after intensive resection of the pseudocapsule...
- Polycystic ovary syndrome and prolactinoma associationIrfan Yavasoglu
Adnan Menderes University Medical Faculty, Aydin, Turkey
Intern Med 48:611-3. 2009..with irregular menses, obesity, hirsutism and infertility, and hyperprolactinemia who was diagnosed as PCOS and prolactinoma and admitted to our clinic. Prolactinoma and PCOS association is a rare condition...
- Psoriasis in association with prolactinoma: three casesM Sánchez Regaña
Department of Dermatology, Hospital Sagrado Corazon, University of Barcelona, C París 83 87 5th floor, 08029 Barcelona, Spain
Br J Dermatol 143:864-7. 2000..psoriasis in whom increase in severity and extent of the skin lesions correlated with the development of a prolactinoma. In all three patients, administration of bromocriptine, a dopamine agonist that suppresses the secretion of ..
- A novel use of temozolomide in a patient with malignant prolactinomaStephen Byrne
Department of Neurosurgery, Flinders Medical Centre, Flinders Drive, Bedford Park, South Australia 5042, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 16:1694-6. 2009..who presented to our department in 2007 with bitemporal hemianopia secondary to a large recurrent pituitary prolactinoma in the sellar region and metastatic deposits elsewhere in his neuraxis...
- Attenuated expression of menin and p27 (Kip1) in an aggressive case of multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN1) associated with an atypical prolactinoma and a malignant pancreatic endocrine tumorEmi Ishida
Department of Medicine and Molecular Science, Gunma University Graduate School of Medicine, Maebashi, Japan
Endocr J 58:287-96. 2011..We describe the case of a 56 year-old male with an atypical prolactinoma and malignant pancreatic neuroenocrine tumor...
- Effects of estrogen receptor antagonist on biological behavior and expression of growth factors in the prolactinoma MMQ cell lineHongtao Lv
Beijing Neurosurgical Institute, Capital Medical University, 6 Tiantan Xili, Chongwen District, Beijing, 100050, People s Republic of China
J Neurooncol 102:237-45. 2011The relationship between estrogen and pituitary prolactinoma is well documented. The biological effects of estrogen are mainly mediated by estrogen receptor α (ERα)...
- Insulin sensitivity and lipid profile in prolactinoma patients before and after normalization of prolactin by dopamine agonist therapyKatarina Berinder
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Endocrine and Diabetes Unit, Karolinska Institutet, 171 76, Stockholm, Sweden
Pituitary 14:199-207. 2011..85, P = 0.034). In conclusion, beneficial metabolic changes were seen in prolactinoma patients after treatment with DA agonists, underscoring the importance of an active treatment approach and to ..
- Successful treatment of a large macroprolactinoma with cabergoline during pregnancyC Liu
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, 94143 0326, USA
Pituitary 4:179-85. 2001..A 7 week pregnant woman with a history of a prolactinoma presented to the endocrine clinic with the complaints of headaches and nausea...
- Latent prolactinoma on MRI-selective venous sampling and trans-sphenoidal microsurgical treatmentH Nakagawa
Department of Neurosurgery, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
Neurol Res 23:691-6. 2001..a correspondence of laterality of the peak prolactin level with the main tumor location in patients with latent prolactinoma. However, the tumor/nontumor ratio did not necessarily coincide with the pattern of tumor location, and tumor ..
- Prolactinomas and pregnancyMarcello Delano Bronstein
Neuroendocrine Unit, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Hospital das Clinicas, University of S Paulo Medical School, Av 9 de Julho 3858, 01406 100, S Paulo, SP, Brazil
Pituitary 8:31-8. 2005..Reintroduction of bromocriptine in such cases can lead to tumor reduction and clinical improvement. Surgery can also be employed as treatment for symptomatic tumor growth in pregnancy...
- Endoscopic approach to the pituitary lesions: contemporary method and review of the literatureA Kuroki
Department of Neurosurgery, Yamagata University School of Medicine, 2 2 2 Iida nishi, Yamagata 990 9585, Japan
Biomed Pharmacother 56:158s-164s. 2002..The overall result by endoscopic transsphenoidal surgery is as good as or better than that by the traditional microscopic transsphenoidal surgery...
- Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after withdrawal of long-term cabergoline therapyJ Kharlip
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2428-36. 2009..Recurrence of hyperprolactinemia after cabergoline withdrawal ranges widely from 36 to 80%. The Pituitary Society recommends withdrawal of cabergoline in selected patients...
- Relapse of hyperprolactinemia after transsphenoidal surgery for microprolactinoma: lessons from long-term follow-upJohn A Thomson
University Department of Medicine, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, Scotland G4 0SF, UK
Neurosurgery 50:36-9; discussion 39-40. 2002..The long-term results of transsphenoidal surgery for microprolactinoma, with particular reference to the question of permanence of relapse of hyperprolactinemia after biochemical cure, are examined...
- Cabergoline and cardiac valve disease in prolactinoma patients: additional studies during long-term treatment are requiredM Kars
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, C4 R, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Endocrinol 159:363-7. 2008..the safety of treatment with ergot-derived dopamine agonists in patients with endocrine diseases, especially prolactinoma. Six cross-sectional studies have been published recently, of which five studies do not show an association ..
- Bone density in women with prolactinoma treated with dopamine agonistsErika Cesar de Oliveira Naliato
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Pituitary 11:21-8. 20081) to evaluate bone density in women with prolactinoma treated with dopamine agonists and healthy controls, using dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA), (2) to classify the results according to the current International Society for ..
- Long-term outcome of patients with macroprolactinomas initially treated with dopamine agonistsMarleen Kars
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Eur J Intern Med 20:387-93. 2009..Dopamine agonists are the first line therapy for the treatment of prolactinomas. The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of macroprolactinomas during long-term follow-up after initial treatment with dopamine agonists...
- Pituitary abscess associated with prolactinomaAwadhesh Kumar Jaiswal
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurosciences Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Clin Neurosci 11:533-4. 2004..She had an uneventful postoperative recovery. At 2 years follow up, she was doing well...
- BMI and metabolic profile in patients with prolactinoma before and after treatment with dopamine agonistsCintia M Dos Santos Silva
Division of Endocrinology, Hospital Universitário Clementino Fraga Filho Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Obesity (Silver Spring) 19:800-5. 2011..objectives of this study were to determine the prevalence of obesity, overweight, MS, and IR in patients with prolactinoma before and after therapy with DA and to evaluate the relation between prolactin (PRL), body weight, fat ..
- Prolactinoma in children and adolescentsH L Fideleff
Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medicine, Hospital T Alvarez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Horm Res 72:197-205. 2009..The diagnosis of prolactinoma requires both radiographic evidence of pituitary adenoma and laboratory analysis documenting the presence of ..
- Clinical profile and long term follow up of children and adolescents with prolactinomasShrikrishna V Acharya
K E M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, 400012 Maharashtra, India
Pituitary 12:186-9. 2009..presentation, response to medical treatment, and long-term follow-up of 39 children and adolescents with prolactinoma (F:M; 30:9) (30 macro and 9 microadenoma) diagnosed at the age of 9-20 years...
- Hyperprolactinemia: different clinical expression in childhoodL Saranac
Pediatric Clinic, University Clinical Center, Nis, Serbia endoljilja yahoo com
Horm Res Paediatr 73:187-92. 2010..Hyperprolactinemia is the most common disturbance in pituitary gland secretion. Functional diversity of prolactin action is responsible for different initial clinical expressions of hyperprolactinemia...
- Pituitary tumours: the prolactinomaAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:575-96. 2009..The patients achieving disappearance of the tumours and suppression of PRL levels during treatment are those showing the highest likelihood to have persistent remission of hyperprolactinaemia after treatment withdrawal...
- High prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a cross-sectional study in the province of Liege, BelgiumAdrian F Daly
Department of Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Liege, Domaine Universitaire du Sart Tilman, 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4769-75. 2006..Prevalence data are important for assessing the burden of disease on the health care system; data on pituitary adenoma prevalence are very scarce...
- Aortic valve calcification and mild tricuspid regurgitation but no clinical heart disease after 8 years of dopamine agonist therapy for prolactinomaMarleen Kars
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center, P O Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:3348-56. 2008..The aim of the present study was to assess the prevalence of valvular heart disease in patients treated with dopamine agonists for prolactinomas...
- Nerve growth factor regulates dopamine D(2) receptor expression in prolactinoma cell lines via p75(NGFR)-mediated activation of nuclear factor-kappaBChiara Fiorentini
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Biotechnology, University of Brescia, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Mol Endocrinol 16:353-66. 2002Two groups of prolactinoma cell lines were identified...
- Long-term remission following withdrawal of dopamine agonist therapy in subjects with microprolactinomasM Biswas
Department of Endocrinology, University Hospital of Wales, Heath Park, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 63:26-31. 2005..Subjects received dopamine agonist (DA) therapy with either cabergoline or bromocriptine for a period of 2 to 3 years in the majority of cases, followed by a trial of treatment withdrawal...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1Gerard M Doherty
NW Thompson Professor of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
J Surg Oncol 89:143-50. 2005..Care of people with MEN-1 requires knowledge of the problems that may arise, and the best approaches to detect and care for the manifestations of this incurable, but manageable, disease...
- Can radiation induce pituitary tumors? Giant prolactinoma after radiation exposureNilesh S Kurwale
Cardio Neuro Centre, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
J Clin Neurosci 15:1287-8. 2008..The role of radiation exposure in the etiology of pituitary adenoma is discussed, along with a literature review of radiation-induced tumors...
- Cabergoline therapy for prolactinomas: is valvular heart disease a real safety concern?Sophie Vallette
Department of Endocrinology, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Hopital Notre Dame, 1560 Sherbrooke East, Montreal, QC, H2L 4M1, Canada
Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 8:49-54. 2010..The clinical significance of the present findings has yet to be confirmed by future larger prospective studies with rigorous echocardiographic protocols and prolonged duration of follow-up...
- Pituitary tumor transforming gene (PTTG) expression in pituitary adenomasX Zhang
Cedars Sinai Research Institute University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90048, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:761-7. 1999..The ubiquitous and prevalent expression of pituitary adenoma PTTG suggests that PTTG plays a role in pituitary tumorigenesis and invasiveness...
- Withdrawal of long-term cabergoline therapy for tumoral and nontumoral hyperprolactinemiaAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Section of Endocrinology, Federico II University of Naples, Naples, Italy
N Engl J Med 349:2023-33. 2003..We performed an observational, prospective study of cabergoline (a dopamine-receptor agonist) withdrawal in such patients...
- Single dose of the antivascular agent, ZD6126 (N-acetylcolchinol-O-phosphate), reduces perfusion for at least 96 hours in the GH3 prolactinoma rat tumor modelDominick J O McIntyre
Department of Basic Medical Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, Tooting, London, UK
Neoplasia 6:150-7. 2004..This study investigated the duration of the response to the vascular targeting agent, ZD6126, of the GH3 prolactinoma, in which efficacy and dose-response have previously been demonstrated...
- Hyperprolactinemia and possibly related development of prolactinoma during amisulpride treatment; three casesC Akkaya
Medical Faculty, Psychiatry Department, Uludag University, Bursa, Turkey
J Psychopharmacol 23:723-6. 2009..Antipsychotics may enhance prolactinoma growth as manifested by an increase in serum prolactin concentration...
- Prevalence of osteopenia in men with prolactinomaE C O Naliato
Department of Internal Medicine, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Brazil
J Endocrinol Invest 28:12-7. 2005..study was to analyze bone mineral density (BMD) and prevalence of osteopenia and osteoporosis in 30 men with prolactinoma, and compare them to 22 control subjects...
- Difficulties in the medical treatment of prolactinoma in a patient with schizophrenia--a case report with a review of the literatureSarah Konopelska
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:120-2. 2008
- Malignant prolactinoma with multiple bone and pulmonary metastases. Case reportCristina Lamas
Department of Endocrinology, Hospital Universitario Puerta de Hierro, Madrid, Spain
J Neurosurg 101:116-21. 2004..The authors describe a 14-year-old boy who presented with visual loss caused by a pituitary prolactinoma. He underwent transsphenoidal surgery, radiotherapy, and dopamine agonist therapy, but 6 years after the ..
- Late development of intraventricular papillary pituitary carcinoma after irradiation of prolactinomaMartha Lilia Tena-Suck
Department of Neuropathology, National Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Manuel Velasco Suarez, Delegación Tlalpan CP 14269, Mexico City, Mexico
Surg Neurol 66:527-33; discussion 533. 2006..Most of the cases have been reported as metastases from pituitary carcinoma. A case of papillary pituitary carcinoma developed 12 years after radiotherapy for prolactin-secreting hormone pituitary adenoma is presented...
- Aripiprazole reduces serum prolactin in a woman with prolactinoma and acute psychosisA J Sheldrick
Pharmacopsychiatry 41:160. 2008
- Valvular heart disease and the use of cabergoline for the treatment of prolactinomaNeil Herring
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford University, Oxford, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:104-8. 2009..The mitral valve tenting area, a subclinical index of leaflet stiffening, has also been correlated with the cumulative dose of cabergoline and severity of valvular regurgitation...
- Inhibitory effect of thalidomide on the growth, secretory function and angiogenesis of estrogen-induced prolactinoma in Fischer 344 ratsHenryk Stepien
Department of Immunoendocrinology, Medical University of Lodz, Dr Sterling 3 Street, 91 425 Lodz, Poland
Life Sci 79:1741-8. 2006The process of angiogenesis has been found to be essential for the development of estrogen-induced pituitary prolactinoma in Fischer 344 rats...
- Nonsurgical cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrhea in invasive macroprolactinoma: incidence, radiological, and clinicopathological featuresS G I Suliman
Department of Endocrinology, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford OX3 7LJ, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3829-35. 2007..Macroprolactinomas (MPRLs) may result in nonsurgical (spontaneous or dopamine agonist induced) cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhea; however, the incidence of and mechanisms underlying this phenomenon are poorly understood...
- Heregulin regulates prolactinoma gene expressionGeorge Vlotides
Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, University of California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Cancer Res 69:4209-16. 2009..Targeted inhibition of up-regulated p185(c-neu)/ErbB3 activity could be useful for the treatment of aggressive prolactinomas resistant to conventional therapy...
- Cortistatin-17 and somatostatin-14 display the same effects on growth hormone, prolactin, and insulin secretion in patients with acromegaly or prolactinomaS Grottoli
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, San Giovanni Battista Molinette Hospital, Corso Dogliotti 14, 10126 Turin, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:1595-9. 2006..Cortistatin binds all somatostatin receptor subtypes but also has particular central actions; moreover, a specific cortistatin receptor has also been discovered...
- Hormone-related tumors in transsexuals receiving treatment with cross-sex hormonesAndreas Mueller
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Erlangen University Hospital, Universitaetsstr 21 23, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 159:197-202. 2008..Design Description of cases of transsexuals who have developed a hormone-related malignancy observed in their own clinic or reported in the literature. Recommendations for early diagnosis and prevention are presented...
- Metastatic prolactinoma: case report with immunohistochemical assessment for p53 and Ki-67 antigensPaulo S Crusius
Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Passo Fundo, RS, Brazil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 63:864-9. 2005..In conclusion, p53 staining is not positive in all pituitary carcinomas. A high Ki-67 proliferative index in a pituitary adenoma might indicate a more aggressive behavior...
- Gender-related differences in prolactinomas. A clinicopathological studyBernhard Schaller
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 26:152-9. 2005..Only few studies have documented gender-related differences in the growth and presentation of these tumors, but nothing is known about their effects on their subsequent surgical outcome and prognosis...
- Pituitary lactotroph adenomas develop after prolonged lactotroph hyperplasia in dopamine D2 receptor-deficient miceS L Asa
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Endocrinology 140:5348-55. 1999..The unexpected development of adenomas in males without preexisting or concomitant hyperplasia suggests that prolonged loss of dopamine inhibition may also cause neoplasia by distinct cellular mechanisms in male and female animals...
- Late development of frontal prolactinoma after resection of pituitary tumorJesus Vaquero
Department of Neurosurgery, Neuroscience Research Unit of the Mapfre Medicine Foundation, Puerta de Hierro Clinic, Autonomous University, Madrid, Spain
J Neurooncol 64:255-8. 2003The unusual case of a patient with a frontal lobe prolactinoma developed 14 years after resection of a histologically benign pituitary adenoma is presented...
- In vitro and in vivo herpetic vector-mediated gene transfer in the pituitary gland: impact on hormone secretionF Bolognani
Institute for Biochemical Research of La Plata (INIBIOLP) Histology B, Faculty of Medicine, University of La Plata, Argentina
Eur J Endocrinol 145:497-503. 2001..In some oestrogen-induced prolactinoma-carrying rats, vector suspension was stereotaxically injected into the glands to assess transgene expression in ..
- Involvement of bone morphogenetic protein 4 (BMP-4) in pituitary prolactinoma pathogenesis through a Smad/estrogen receptor crosstalkMarcelo Paez-Pereda
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 10, 80804 Munich, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1034-9. 2003..BMP-4 is overexpressed in other prolactinoma models, including estradiol-induced rat prolactinomas and human prolactinomas, compared with normal tissue and ..
- Dopaminergic D2 receptor knockout mouse: an animal model of prolactinomaCarolina Cristina
Instituto de Biologia y Medicina Experimental CONICET, Vuelta de Obligado 1490, 1428 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Front Horm Res 35:50-63. 2006..The D2R knockout mouse represents a unique animal model to study dopamine-resistant prolactinomas, and VEGF-A may be an alternative therapeutic target in this pathology...
- Three-dimensional imaging of hormone-secreting cells and their microvessel environment in estrogen-induced prolactinoma of the rat pituitary gland by confocal laser scanning microscopyJ Itoh
Laboratories for Structure and Function Research, Tokai University, School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa, Japan
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 9:364-70. 2001..three-dimensional imaging of hormone-secreting cells and their microvascular environment in estrogen-induced prolactinoma of the rat pituitary gland...
- Ovarian dependence for pituitary tumorigenesis in D2 dopamine receptor-deficient miceShane T Hentges
Vollum Institute, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Endocrinology 143:4536-43. 2002..These findings illustrate the importance of genetic background when analyzing endocrine regulation in mutant mouse models...
- Estrogen receptors in prolactinomas: a clinico-pathological studyG J Kaptain
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville 22908, USA
Pituitary 1:91-8. 1999..The use of antiestrogen therapy in pituitary adenomas, however, has not been explored. This study attempted to identify a population who may benefit from antiestrogen therapy...
- CSF rhinorrhoea following treatment with dopamine agonists for massive invasive prolactinomasK S Leong
University Clinical Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 52:43-9. 2000..Our objective was therefore to investigate the different treatments for this condition...
- Prolactinoma with preferential infrasellar extension: a report of two casesS Nishio
Department of Neurosurgery, Neurological Institute, Faculty of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
J Clin Neurosci 8:287-9. 2001..The authors thus emphasise the need to recognise this peculiar infrasellar growth pattern of prolactinoma.
- Giant prolactinomas in men: efficacy of cabergoline treatmentS M Corsello
Institute of Endocrinology, Catholic University School of Medicine, Rome, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 58:662-70. 2003The term 'giant prolactinoma' can be used for tumours larger than 4 cm in diameter and/or with massive extrasellar extension...
- REGULATION OF PROLACTIN SECRETION AT THE LACTOTROPHJOEL TABAK SZNAJDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, the benign hypersecreting pituitary tumor known as a prolactinoma is treated with the dopamine agonists bromocryptine or cabergoline...
- REGULATION OF PROLACTIN SECRETION AT THE LACTOTROPHJOEL TABAK SZNAJDER; Fiscal Year: 2010..For example, the benign hypersecreting pituitary tumor known as a prolactinoma is treated with the dopamine agonists bromocryptine or cabergoline...
- Attenuation of Estrogen-Induced Cell ProliferationDOUGLAS WENDELL; Fiscal Year: 2003..Consequently, estrogen treatment of F344 rats induces uncontrolled cell proliferation and prolactinoma. Aim #1 of this project is to develop a primary cell culture system to investigate the effect of the BN allele ..
- Post-DPP Follow-Up StudyMark Molitch; Fiscal Year: 2007..women, and in older subjects in the DPP. The current application is for 5 years of funding, although the some of the goals of the projects described will require a 10-year study. ..
- Fetal Alcohol Effects on Circadian clocks and POMCDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information should help to develop therapeutic strategies in managing sleep-wake disturbances and the resultant health consequences in FAE offspring. ..
- ALCOHOL AND HYPERPROLACTINEMIADIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such knowledge will improve the understanding and management of hyperprolactinemia in alcoholic patients. ..
- CONST BIO RES FACIL: NEUROENDOCRINEDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Fetal Alcohol Effects on Circadian clocks and POMCDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..This information should help to develop therapeutic strategies in managing sleep-wake disturbances and the resultant health consequences in FAE offspring ..
- Fetal Alcohol Effects on Circadian clocks and POMCDIPAK KUMAR SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..This information should help to develop therapeutic strategies in managing sleep-wake disturbances and the resultant health consequences in FAE offspring. ..
- Biology of the NK cell cytolytic activity rhythmDIPAK KUMAR SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed series of studies should enhance our knowledge of the physiological mechanisms orchestrating NK cell circadian function. ..
- Biology of the NK cell cytolytic activity rhythmDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed series of studies should enhance our knowledge of the physiological mechanisms orchestrating NK cell circadian function. ..
- ROLE OF OPIATES IN ALCOHOL-INDUCED NEUROTOXICITYDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- OPIOID AND ALCOHOL REGULATED IMMUNE FUNCTIONDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- CONSTRUCTION OF BIOLOGY RESEARCH FACILITYDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- ALCOHOL AND HYPERPROLACTINEMIADIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2000..The proposed research will yield an increased understanding of ethanol effects on prolactinomas and hyperprolactinemia. Such knowledge should help to better manage these neuroendocrine diseases in alcoholic patients. ..
- ROLE OF OPIATES IN ALCOHOL-INDUCED NEUROTOXICITYDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- ESTROGEN MITOGENIC ACTION IN THE PITUITARYDIPAK SARKAR; Fiscal Year: 2003..Such knowledge should be important in understanding prolactinoma because increased proliferation is an early step in cell transformation.
- INTERFERON GAMMA AND TUMOR GROWTHGerard Doherty; Fiscal Year: 2002..These experiments will elucidate the roles of IRF-1 and IRF-2 in tumor growth in intact, immunocompetent animals, and begin to address the potential clinical importance of IRF expression in human tumors. ..