Genomes and Genes
adrenal gland neoplasms
Summary: Tumors or cancer of the ADRENAL GLANDS.
Publications208 found, 100 shown here
- Outcomes analysis in patients undergoing laparoscopic adrenalectomy for hormonally active adrenal tumorsL M Brunt
Department of Surgery, Section of Endocrine and Oncologic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Surgery 130:629-34; discussion 634-5. 2001..LA is associated with few major complications, and clinical and biochemical cure rates are comparable with those of open adrenalectomy during long-term follow-up...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: pathologic features determine outcomeEric C Poulin
Centre for Minimally Invasive Surgery, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ont
Can J Surg 46:340-4. 2003..Therefore, we evaluated these outcomes in the 3 groups most often seen clinically: bilateral adrenalectomy for Cushing's disease (group 1), pheochromocytoma (group 2) and unilateral adrenalectomy for non-pheochromocytoma (group 3)...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for pheochromocytoma. A comparison to aldosteronoma and incidentalomaM F Kalady
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, 3110, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Surg Endosc 18:621-5. 2004....
- Noninvasive monitoring of a murine model of metastatic pheochromocytoma: a comparison of contrast-enhanced microCT and nonenhanced MRILucia Martiniova
Reproductive and Adult Endocrinology Program, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1109, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 29:685-91. 2009..However, the choice of imaging modality is still evolving...
- A comparison of biochemical tests for pheochromocytoma: measurement of fractionated plasma metanephrines compared with the combination of 24-hour urinary metanephrines and catecholaminesAnna M Sawka
Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:553-8. 2003....
- Pheochromocytoma: current approaches and future directionsJoel T Adler
Section of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Oncologist 13:779-93. 2008..In this review, we discuss the presentation, diagnosis, management, and future directions in the management of this disease...
- Adrenal involvement in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1Peter Langer
Department of Surgery, Philipps University Hospital, Baldingerstrasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
World J Surg 26:891-6. 2002..The lesions are often small and nonfunctional and can therefore be managed by close surveillance; others have significant malignant potential and should be considered for surgery when they are 3 cm or larger...
- Tumor risks and genotype-phenotype-proteotype analysis in 358 patients with germline mutations in SDHB and SDHDChristopher J Ricketts
Cancer Research UK Renal Molecular Oncology Group, Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, University of Birmingham, Institute of Biomedical Research, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Hum Mutat 31:41-51. 2010..The differing effect of the SDHD p.Pro81Leu on HNPGL and pheochromocytoma risks suggests differing mechanisms of tumorigenesis in SDH-associated HNPGL and pheochromocytoma...
- Cardiogenic shock due to acute hemorrhagic necrosis of a pheochromocytoma: a case report and review of the literatureHassan A Mohamed
Department of Medicine, Regina General Hospital, Regina, Saskatchewan
Can J Cardiol 19:573-6. 2003..This case illustrates an unusual presentation of pheochromocytoma and emphasizes the importance of aggressive and appropriate medical therapy in pheochromocytoma heart disease...
- Biochemical diagnosis of pheochromocytoma: how to distinguish true- from false-positive test resultsGraeme Eisenhofer
Clinical Neurocardiology Section, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2656-66. 2003..Patterns of biochemical test results and responses of plasma normetanephrine to clonidine can then help distinguish true- from false-positive results...
- Pheochromocytoma and extra-adrenal paraganglioma: updatesArthur S Tischler
Department of Pathology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1272-84. 2008..These developments are concurrent with the publication and dissemination of the 2004 World Health Organization bluebook on pathology and genetics of endocrine tumors...
- Natural course of small adrenal lesions in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: an endoscopic ultrasound imaging studyS Schaefer
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetology, Philipp s University, D 35033 Marburg, Germany EU
Eur J Endocrinol 158:699-704. 2008....
- Open and laparoscopic adrenalectomy: analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement ProgramJames Lee
Division of Gastrointestinal and Endocrine Surgery, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Am Coll Surg 206:953-9; discussion 959-61. 2008..This study uses the Veterans Affairs National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database to compare these two approaches, adjusting for baseline differences...
- Retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy for adrenal tumors via a single large portDaisaku Hirano
Department of Urology, Nihon University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Endourol 19:788-92. 2005..This study reports the outcomes of retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy (RA) for adrenal tumors via a single port using a large cylinder without carbon dioxide insufflation...
- Adrenal involvement in multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1: results of 7 years prospective screeningJ Waldmann
Department of General Surgery, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 392:437-43. 2007..Prevalence in recent studies varies between 9 and 45%. A genotype-phenotype correlation has been described as well as the development of adrenocortical carcinomas. Long-term prospective data are still lacking...
- Biochemical diagnosis of pheochromocytoma: which test is best?Jacques W M Lenders
Department of Internal Medicine, St Radboud University Medical Center, Geert Grooteplein Zuid 8, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
JAMA 287:1427-34. 2002..Diagnosis of pheochromocytoma depends on biochemical evidence of catecholamine production by the tumor. However, the best test to establish the diagnosis has not been determined...
- Year of diagnosis, features at presentation, and risk of recurrence in patients with pheochromocytoma or secreting paragangliomaLaurence Amar
Hypertension Unit, , 20 rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:2110-6. 2005..In conclusion, pheochromocytomas/paragangliomas can now be diagnosed earlier, with smaller tumors, and more frequently as incidentalomas. Familial, right adrenal, and extraadrenal tumors recur more frequently than left adrenal tumors...
- Somatic and occult germ-line mutations in SDHD, a mitochondrial complex II gene, in nonfamilial pheochromocytomaO Gimm
Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210, USA
Cancer Res 60:6822-5. 2000....
- Germline mutations in TMEM127 confer susceptibility to pheochromocytomaYuejuan Qin
Departments of Medicine, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Nat Genet 42:229-33. 2010..Our studies identify TMEM127 as a tumor suppressor gene and validate the power of hereditary tumors to elucidate cancer pathogenesis...
- Perioperative management of pheochromocytomaMichelle A O Kinney
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 16:359-69. 2002
- Recent advances in genetics, diagnosis, localization, and treatment of pheochromocytomaK Pacak
Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Building 10, Room 9D42, 10 Center Drive MSC 1583, Bethesda, MD 20892 1583, USA
Ann Intern Med 134:315-29. 2001....
- Phase II study of temozolomide and thalidomide in patients with metastatic neuroendocrine tumorsMatthew H Kulke
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:401-6. 2006..We evaluated the efficacy of an oral regimen of temozolomide and thalidomide in patients with metastatic carcinoid, pheochromocytoma, or pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors...
- Primary adrenal lymphomaAndrew P Grigg
Clinical Haematology and Medical Oncology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Clin Lymphoma 4:154-60. 2003..Multicenter collaborative retrospective reviews and prospective trials are needed to address these issues...
- Clinical and molecular progress in hereditary paragangliomaB E Baysal
Department of Pathology, Yale University School of Medicine, 310 Cedar Street, BML B38, New Haven, CT 06520 8023, USA
J Med Genet 45:689-94. 2008....
- Single access retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy (SARA)--one step beyond in endocrine surgeryMartin K Walz
Klinik für Chirurgie und Zentrum für Minimal Invasive Chirurgie, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Duisburg Essen, Henricistrasse 92, 45136, Essen, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 394:447-50. 2009..Today, endoscopic adrenalectomy has become a gold standard in endocrine surgery...
- Treatment of malignant pheochromocytoma/paraganglioma with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and dacarbazine: recommendation from a 22-year follow-up of 18 patientsHui Huang
Medical Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Cancer 113:2020-8. 2008..A long-term follow-up was conducted of 18 patients with a diagnosis of pheochromocytoma/paraganglioma treated with a combination of cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and dacarbazine (CVD)...
- Outcomes of adrenalectomy for isolated synchronous versus metachronous adrenal metastases in non-small-cell lung cancer: a systematic review and pooled analysisTawee Tanvetyanon
Biostatistics Division, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Dr, Tampa, FL 33613, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:1142-7. 2008..However, some suggest that the survival outcome among patients with a synchronous metastasis is poor. It remains unclear whether this treatment approach is warranted among those with synchronous metastasis...
- Pheochromocytoma cell lines from heterozygous neurofibromatosis knockout miceJ F Powers
Department of Pathology, Box 802, New England Medical Center and Tufts University School of Medicine, 750 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Cell Tissue Res 302:309-20. 2000..Mouse pheochromocytomas are a new tool for studying genes and signaling pathways that regulate cell growth and differentiation in adrenal medullary neoplasms and are a unique model for studying the regulation of PNMT expression...
- High frequency of SDHB germline mutations in patients with malignant catecholamine-producing paragangliomas: implications for genetic testingFrederieke M Brouwers
Section of Medical Neuroendocrinology, Reproductive Biology and Medicine Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1109, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:4505-9. 2006..Mutations of the gene for succinate dehydrogenase subunit B (SDHB) are associated with a high risk of malignancy, but establishing the precise contribution requires relatively large numbers of patients with well-defined malignancy...
- Current approaches and recommended algorithm for the diagnostic localization of pheochromocytomaIoannis Ilias
Pediatric and Reproductive Endocrinology Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-1583, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:479-91. 2004
- 1,111 patients with adrenal incidentalomas observed at a single endocrinological center: incidence of chromaffin tumorsAnna A Kasperlik-Zaluska
Department of Endocrinology, Centre for Postgraduate Medical Education, Warsaw University of Medicine, and Department of Imaging, MSW and A Hospital, Poland
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1073:38-46. 2006..Malignancy was present in 9% of 43 patients with chromaffin tumors. High density in CT was a very important diagnostic finding in the incidentally found medullary tumors...
- Imaging of primary adrenal lymphoma: case report and literature reviewL J Zhang
Department of Radiology, Tianjin First Central Hospital, Tianjin Medical University, Tianjin, PR China
Acta Radiol 47:993-7. 2006..We describe the imaging findings and review the related literature to highlight this uncommon entity...
- Ectopic expression of the gastric inhibitory polypeptide receptor gene is a sufficient genetic event to induce benign adrenocortical tumor in a xenotransplantation modelTania L Mazzuco
, Equipe Mixte 105, DRDC, CEA, Grenoble, France
Endocrinology 147:782-90. 2006..Thus, a single genetic event, inappropriate expression of a nonmutated GPCR gene, is sufficient to initiate the complete phenotypic alterations that ultimately lead to the formation of a benign adrenocortical tumor...
- A rare coexistence of adrenal cavernous hemangioma with extramedullar hemopoietic tissue: a case report and brief review of the literatureNikolaos Arkadopoulos
2nd Department of Surgery, Aretaieion Hospital, Athens University School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
World J Surg Oncol 7:13. 2009..Cavernous hemangiomas of the adrenal gland are rare, benign, non-functioning neoplastic tumors. To our knowledge, 55 cases have been reported in the literature to date...
- Phaeochromocytoma crisis--a rare indication for extracorporeal membrane oxygenationA Chao
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, National Taiwan University Hospital, 7, Chung Shan S Road, Taipei, 100, Taiwan
Anaesthesia 63:86-8. 2008....
- Pheochromocytoma in Italy: a multicentric retrospective studyM Mannelli
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Endocrine Unit, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 6, 50139 Florence, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 141:619-24. 1999..To conduct an epidemiological study on pheochromocytoma in Italy...
- Abnormalities in incidentally removed adrenal glandsH Buurman
Institute of Pathology of the Marienkrankenhaus Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Endocr Pathol 17:277-82. 2006..1%) did not exhibit any pathological findings. The adrenals exhibited infiltration or metastasis by malignant tumors (6.4%), adrenal adenomas (2.5%), adrenal hyperplasias (31.6%), and other alterations (38.7%)...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for pheochromocytomaDawn E Jaroszewski
Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:1501-4. 2003..Although there have been no recurrences to date, long-term follow-up is required for all patients, especially those with hereditary forms of pheochromocytomas...
- Spontaneous rupture of adrenal pheochromocytoma: review and analysis of prognostic factorsTakashi Kobayashi
Department of Urology, Hamamatsu Rosai Hospital, Hamamatsu, Japan
J Surg Oncol 90:31-5. 2005....
- Clinically guided genetic screening in a large cohort of italian patients with pheochromocytomas and/or functional or nonfunctional paragangliomasMassimo Mannelli
Department Clinical Pathophysiology, University of Florence, Viale Pieraccini 5, 50139 Florence, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:1541-7. 2009..The aim of the study was to define the frequency of hereditary forms and the genotype/phenotype correlations in a large cohort of Italian patients with pheochromocytomas and/or functional or nonfunctional paragangliomas...
- Clinical management of malignant adrenal tumorsD Kopf
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Leipziger Strasse 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 127:143-55. 2001..This review provides guidelines for rational disease management based on still scanty clinical evidence...
- A case of primary adrenal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma achieving complete remission with rituximab-CHOP chemotherapyKyung Min Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:525-8. 2009..To our knowledge, this is the second report to date of a patient with primary bilateral adrenal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma who achieved complete remission using R-CHOP chemotherapy...
- Clinical predictors and algorithm for the genetic diagnosis of pheochromocytoma patientsZoran Erlic
Department of Nephrology, Section of Preventive Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University, Hugstetter Strasse 55, Freiburg, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 15:6378-85. 2009..The aim of the study is to systematically obtain a robust algorithm to identify who should be genetically tested, and to determine the order in which genes should be tested...
- Hereditary paraganglioma targets diverse paragangliaB E Baysal
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 3811 O Hara Street R1445, Pittsburgh, PA, 15213, USA
J Med Genet 39:617-22. 2002..This short review attempts to bring together relevant genetic data on paragangliomas with a particular emphasis on head and neck paragangliomas and phaeochromocytomas...
- The transcriptional regulating protein of 132 kDa (TReP-132) enhances P450scc gene transcription through interaction with steroidogenic factor-1 in human adrenal cellsFlorence Gizard
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University, Quebec GIK 7P4, Canada
J Biol Chem 277:39144-55. 2002..Taken together the results in this study identify a novel function of TReP-132 as a partner in a complex with SF-1 and CBP/p300 to regulate gene transcription involved in steroidogenesis...
- Molecular characterization of novel germline deletions affecting SDHD and SDHC in pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma patientsJean Pierre Bayley
Department of Human Genetics, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
Endocr Relat Cancer 16:929-37. 2009..Gene deletions of SDHD and SDHC represent a substantial proportion of all mutations, and must be considered in paraganglioma patients shown to be negative for mutations by sequencing...
- Adrenal hemangioma removed by a retroperitoneoscopic procedureT Yagisawa
Department of Urology, Tokyo Women s Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Urol 8:457-8. 2001..Only about 50 surgical cases of adrenal hemangioma have been reported in the literature. Presented here is the first case of a large adrenal hemangioma that was removed by a retroperitoneoscopic procedure...
- Laparoscopic resection of large adrenal tumorsDougald C MacGillivray
Department of Surgery, Division of Surgical Oncology, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME 04104, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 9:480-5. 2002..We report our experience with laparoscopic adrenalectomy in patients with adrenal tumors of > or =6 cm compared with patients with smaller tumors...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for pheochromocytomaW Keat Cheah
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4150 Clement Street, 94121, USA
World J Surg 26:1048-51. 2002..Laparoscopic adrenalectomy is the preferred surgical approach for patients with pheochromocytoma because it is safe and efficacious...
- Clinical utility of temozolomide in the treatment of malignant paraganglioma: a preliminary reportE L Bravo
Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Horm Metab Res 41:703-6. 2009..However, the present findings need confirmation in a larger study and the role of temozolomide in the long-term treatment of malignant paraganglioma/pheochromocytoma remains to be established...
- Most primary adrenal lymphomas are diffuse large B-cell lymphomas with non-germinal center B-cell phenotype, BCL6 gene rearrangement and poor prognosisAna Mozos
Department of Anatomic Pathology, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Mod Pathol 22:1210-7. 2009..We speculate that the poor outcome of primary adrenal lymphoma might be related to the bulky tumor size at presentation, non-germinal center B-cell phenotype, and frequent BCL-6 gene rearrangement...
- Sunitinib, a novel therapy for anthracycline- and cisplatin-refractory malignant pheochromocytomaKyung Sun Park
Department of Oncology and Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Jpn J Clin Oncol 39:327-31. 2009..The tumor showed very good metabolic response to the therapy. In patient with malignant pheochromocytoma, sunitinib might be one therapeutic strategy for malignant pheochromocytomas...
- Immunohistochemistry for SDHB triages genetic testing of SDHB, SDHC, and SDHD in paraganglioma-pheochromocytoma syndromesAnthony J Gill
Department of Anatomical Pathology, Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney 2065, Australia
Hum Pathol 41:805-14. 2010..Completely absent staining is more commonly found with SDHB mutation, whereas weak diffuse staining often occurs with SDHD mutation...
- Survival of patients with metastatic malignant pheochromocytoma and efficacy of combined cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and dacarbazine chemotherapyKaoru Nomura
Department of General Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawadacho, Shinjyuku ku, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:2850-6. 2009..About 10% of pheochromocytomas are malignant. Exact survival has not been reported, nor has an analysis of the efficacy of chemotherapy on survival time...
- Mutations of the metabolic genes IDH1, IDH2, and SDHAF2 are not major determinants of the pseudohypoxic phenotype of sporadic pheochromocytomas and paragangliomasLi Yao
Division of Hematology and Molecular Oncology, Department of Medicine and Cellular, Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, MC7880, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:1469-72. 2010..The molecular basis for activation of a hypoxic response in the majority of tumors without VHL or SDH mutations remains to be defined...
- Phaeochromocytomas and sympathetic paragangliomasB J Petri
Department of Pathology, Erasmus MC University Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Surg 96:1381-92. 2009..Surgical resection is the treatment of choice for both PCC and sPGL, but controversy exists about the management of patients with bilateral or multiple tumours...
- Does adrenal mass size really affect safety and effectiveness of laparoscopic adrenalectomy?F Porpiglia
Divisione Universitaria di Urologia, Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche e Biologiche, Universita degli Studi di Torino, Ospedale San Luigi, Orbassano, Italy
Urology 60:801-5. 2002..Laparoscopy is today considered the first-choice treatment of many adrenal diseases, although its use is still controversial for large adrenal masses and incidentally found adrenal cortical carcinoma...
- Frequent incidental discovery of phaeochromocytoma: data from a German cohort of 201 phaeochromocytomaRobert Kopetschke
Clinical Endocrinology, Charite Campus Mitte, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 161:355-61. 2009..However, an increasing proportion of phaeochromocytoma seems to be discovered incidentally upon abdominal imaging...
- Pheochromocytomas: imaging with 2-[fluorine-18]fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose PETB L Shulkin
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Radiology 212:35-41. 1999....
- Two cases of adrenal hemangioma: CT and MRI findings with pathological correlationsTakayuki Yamada
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Radiat Med 20:51-6. 2002..These findings can also be seen in other adrenal tumors and are not pathognomonic of adrenal hemangioma. However, observing the combination of these findings can lead to the correct diagnosis...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy--indications and techniqueGeeta Lal
UCSF/Mt. Zion Medical Center, 1600 Divisadero Street, suite c347, San Francisco, CA 94143-1674, USA
Surg Oncol 12:105-23. 2003..This review discusses the indications and contraindications, technique and outcomes for laparoscopic adrenalectomy...
- Angiogenesis and vascular architecture in pheochromocytomas: distinctive traits in malignant tumorsJudith Favier
Collège de France and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U36, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 161:1235-46. 2002..Altogether, our observations show that analysis of angiogenesis provides promising new criteria for the diagnosis of malignant pheochromocytomas...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for malignancyCord Sturgeon
Department of Surgery, University of California, San Francisco Comprehensive Cancer Center at Mount Zion Medical Center, 1600 Divisadero Street, Hellman Building, Room C3-47, San Francisco, California 94143-1674, USA
Surg Clin North Am 84:755-74. 2004..Laparoscopic adrenalectomy should be cautiously performed, with the goals of achieving complete tumor resection without disruption of the adrenal capsule...
- Collision/composite tumors of the adrenal gland: a pitfall of scintigraphy imaging and hormone assays in the detection of adrenal metastasisAdeline Thorin-Savouré
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U413, Department of Endocrinology, Diabetology, and Metabolic Diseases, Hospital of Boisguillaume, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire of Rouen, 76031 Rouen Cedex, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4924-9. 2005..OBJECTIVE, DESIGN, AND SETTING: We report two patients with adrenal collision/composite tumors referred to two French university hospitals...
- Laparoscopic vs open adrenalectomy for benign adrenal neoplasmD Hazzan
Department of Surgery B, Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Surg Endosc 15:1356-8. 2001....
- [Incidentally discovered adrenal masses in the Department of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Hemostatic Disorders, Medical University of Gdansk]Anna Babinska
Kliniki Chorób Wewnetrznych, Endokrynologii i Zaburzen Hemostazy, Akademii Medycznej w Gdansku
Wiad Lek 59:744-50. 2006..Most of studies report the prevalence of adrenal incidentaloma range between 1 and 10% in radiological series...
- An unusual cause of acute bilateral optic disk swelling with macular star in a 9-year-old girlZena Lim I Linn
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 44:245-7. 2007..Malignant hypertensive changes in the eyes are uncommon and may sometimes resemble neuroretinitis. Overaggressive treatment of malignant hypertension can cause optic nerve infarction, leading to blindness...
- Differentiation of adrenal adenoma and nonadenoma in unenhanced CT: new optimal threshold value and the usefulness of size criteria for differentiationSung Hee Park
Department of Diagnostic Radiology and Research Institute of Radiological Science, Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchondong, Seodaemungu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Korean J Radiol 8:328-35. 2007..To determine the optimal threshold for the attenuation values in unenhanced computed tomography (CT) and assess the value of the size criteria for differentiating between an adrenal adenoma and a nonadenoma...
- Toe necrosis and acute myocardial infarction precipitated by a pheochromocytoma in a patient with systemic sclerosisAlexandra Balbir-Gurman
B Shine Department of Rheumatology, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
J Clin Rheumatol 13:331-3. 2007..We present a woman with limited SSc who developed toe necrosis and acute coronary events as a complication of a previously undiagnosed pheochromocytoma...
- High risk of malignancy in patients with incidentally discovered adrenal masses: accuracy of adrenal imaging and image-guided fine-needle aspiration cytologyFranco Lumachi
Endocrine Surgery Unit, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
Tumori 93:269-74. 2007....
- Outcomes of pheochromocytoma management in the laparoscopic eraCarmen C Solorzano
Department of Surgery, Sylvester Cancer Center, University of Miami Jackson Memorial Medical Center, 1475 NW 12th Ave, Room 3550, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 14:3004-10. 2007..Laparoscopic adrenalectomy (LA) is the preferred surgical approach for pheochromocytomas. We have investigated the changes in diagnosis, management and outcome of pheochromocytomas treated since the widespread advent of LA...
- [Adrenal incidentalomas]P Langer
Klinik für Visceral, Thorax und Gefasschirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Giessen und Marburg GmbH, Standort Marburg
Chirurg 78:721-8. 2007..Functioning tumors and masses larger than 6 cm have to be resected. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy is indicated in very rare cases, but pheochromocytoma has to be ruled out first...
- Experience of retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy in 195 patients with primary aldosteronismYi Lin
Department of Urology, Tianjin Medical University General Hospital, Institute of Urology, Tianjin, China
Int J Urol 14:910-3. 2007..Laparoscopic adrenalectomy has become an effective option for aldosteronoma. We evaluated the retroperitoneal approach with regard to safety, efficacy, invasiveness and cost-benefit ratio in patients with primary aldosteronism...
- Prospective randomized comparison of laparoscopic versus open adrenalectomy for sporadic pheochromocytomaGuido A M Tiberio
Surgical Clinic, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Brescia, 25100, Brescia, Italy
Surg Endosc 22:1435-9. 2008..Laparoscopic adrenalectomy for pheochromocytoma remains subject of debate, owing to the systemic consequences of pneumoperitoneum in patients with catecholamine-secreting tumors...
- [Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: analysis of 65 cases]Angelo Ambrosio
Unità Operativa di Chirurgia Addominale, IRCCS Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza, S Giovanni Rotondo, Foggia
Chir Ital 59:853-6. 2007....
- Epinephrine-secreting pheochromocytoma in a normotensive woman with adrenal incidentalomaNorlela Sukor
Department of Medicine, Hospital Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
South Med J 100:73-4. 2007..A patient is presented with a pheochromocytoma that was discovered incidentally when she presented with abdominal pain and a normal blood pressure...
- [Hypertension and hyperhidrosis. Pheochromocytoma]J Mettler
Medizinische Poliklinik Hypertoniesprechstunde, Universitatsspital Basel
Praxis (Bern 1994) 97:73-6. 2008..The patient history gave certain clues for pheochromocytoma. The diagnosis was proven with elevated metanephrines and computer tomography. The tumor was surgically removed...
- Laparoscopic and selective open resection for adrenal and extraadrenal neuroendocrine tumorsRoy Phitayakorn
Department of Surgery, MetroHealth Medical Center, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
Am Surg 74:37-42. 2008..Open resection is indicated for tumor invasion, for extraadrenal pheochromocytoma, when laparoscopic resection cannot be performed safely, and for concomitant open procedures...
- Laparoscopic bilateral adrenalectomy for occult ectopic ACTH syndromeJihad R Salameh
Division of General Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:52-5. 2008..In this paper, we review our experience with laparoscopic bilateral adrenalectomy for occult ectopic ACTH syndrome...
- Cystic phaeochromocytoma is a distinctive subgroup with special clinical, imaging and histological features that might mislead the diagnosisCassio Andreoni
Division of Urology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
BJU Int 101:345-50. 2008..To report and analyse cases of cystic phaeochromocytoma at our institution and in previous publications, as adrenal cystic masses are usually associated with nonfunctional lesions, but they can be phaeochromocytoma...
- Spontaneous rupture of pheochromocytoma: computed tomography-pathologic features and correlationB K Park
Department of Radiology and Center for Imaging Science, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Radiol 49:230-2. 2008..Its preoperative diagnosis is of great importance in determining treatment and prognosis. We describe computed tomography pathologic findings and correlate their features in a case with ruptured pheochromocytoma...
- Combined laparoscopic and thoracoscopic excision of pheochromocytoma and functional paragangliomaAbid Qazi
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds, United Kingdom
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 17:704-6. 2007..In this paper, we report an 11-year-old girl who underwent a combined laparoscopic adrenalectomy procedure and thoracoscopic excision of a paravertebral mass. To our knowledge, this is the first such report in the English literature...
- [Indications for conventional adrenalectomy]I Gockel
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Allgemein und Abdominalchirurgie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz
Zentralbl Chir 133:255-9. 2008..It was the aim of our study to analyse the indications for conventional adrenalectomy in our own patients since the introduction of the minimally invasive technique in the year 1994 - laparoscopically and retroperitoneoscopically...
- Laparoscopic lateral adrenalectomy versus open posterior adrenalectomy for the treatment of benign adrenal tumorsK K J Hallfeldt
Chirurgische Klinik und Poliklinik Innenstadt, Klinikum der Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Surg Endosc 17:264-7. 2003..The objective of this study was to compare laparoscopic transabdominal adrenalectomy in the lateral position to the open posterior adrenalectomy with respect to the intraoperative and the short-term postoperative course...
- [Adrenal surgical pathology. Report of our cases and bibliographic review]Edison De León Morales
Servicio y Cátedra de Urología, Hospital del Mar, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 56:875-83. 2003....
- Incidental adrenal pheochromocytoma. Report on 5 operated patients and update of the literatureAntonio Benito Porcaro
Department of Urology, University Hospital, Verona, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 75:217-25. 2003..When managed appropriately, the outlook for pheochromocytoma is excellent with a free survival rate of 92% and 80% at 5 and 10 years respectively. Unfortunately, malignant pheochromocytomas are still difficult to treat...
- Diseases of the adrenal glandE Darracott Vaughan
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York Presbyterian Hospital, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Med Clin North Am 88:443-66. 2004..Indeed, this is a true success story with the evolution of these different techniques over the past 50 years...
- The case for laparoscopic adrenalectomyI S Gill
Section of Laparoscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Urological Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Urol 166:429-36. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: In the majority of patients with surgical adrenal disease except those with adrenal cancer laparoscopy may now be considered an established treatment modality...
- Extent of adrenalectomy for adrenal neoplasm: cortical sparing (subtotal) versus total adrenalectomyMartin K Walz
Clinic of Surgery and Center of Minimally Invasive Surgery, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Duisburg Essen, Henricistrasse 92, D 45136, Essen, Germany
Surg Clin North Am 84:743-53. 2004..Because longterm results are still limited in hyperaldosteronism, final conclusions are not possible today...
- [Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: Akita University experience]Masahiro Iinuma
Department of Urology, Akita University School of Medicine
Hinyokika Kiyo 50:401-4. 2004..The results of our experience support the concept that laparoscopic adrenalectomy is safe and is a standard treatment for surgical treatment of adrenal tumors...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: the new standard?Martin Bolli
Departement Chirurgie, Universitatskliniken, Kantonsspital Basel, Spitalstrasse 21, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Swiss Med Wkly 132:12-6. 2002..Since 1994 we have been removing most non-malignant classified pathologies of the adrenal gland laparoscopically. Does this minimal invasive procedure involve advantages over the conventional approach?..
- Laparoscopic transperitoneal adrenalectomyC J O'Boyle
Ward 60, Hull Royal Infirmary, Anlaby Road, Hull, HU3 2JZ, United Kingdom
Surg Endosc 17:1905-9. 2003..From November 1993 to May 2002 a total of 172 laparoscopic adrenalectomies were attempted in 152 patients in centers throughout the United Kingdom...
- Pheochromocytoma: unusual presentation of a rare diseaseAshraf Hamdan
Departments of Internal Medicine B, Endocrinology, Oncology and Pathology, Rabin Medical Center (Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:827-8. 2002
- [Laparoscopic adrenalectomy]Antonio Rosales Bordes
, , C/Cartagena 340-350 08025 Barcelona,
Arch Esp Urol 55:748-55. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: Laparoscopic adrenalectomy is the operation of choice for functioning adrenal tumours and for incidentally diagnosed tumours < or = 6 cm that have increased in size in successive radiographic examinations...
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy in childrenE Mirallie
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Hotel Dieu, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Nantes 44093, France
Surg Endosc 15:156-60. 2001..The aim of this study was to describe the indications and results of laparoscopic adrenalectomy in children...
- Experience with laparoscopic adrenalectomy in pediatric patientsK A Miller
Children's Mercy Hospital, University of Missouri at Kansas City School of Medicine, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 37:979-82; discussion 979-82. 2002..The authors believe laparoscopic adrenalectomy is an excellent approach for the management of benign pediatric adrenal pathology...
- Surgical technique and haemodynamic changes in adrenalectomy for secreting neoplasia. Personal experience and review of the literatureN Gulla
Department of Surgical Sciences, Policlinico Monteluce, Section of General and Emergency Surgery, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Minerva Chir 58:87-92. 2003..A review of the literature is included...
- Posterior retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy: lessons learned within five yearsM K Walz
, Kliniken Essen-Mitte, , Henricistrasse 92, D-45136 Essen, Germany
World J Surg 25:728-34. 2001..Median duration of hospitalization was 3 days. Posterior retroperitoneoscopic adrenalectomy is a safe method that has become a standard procedure in endocrine surgery...
- Results of laparoscopic adrenalectomy for large and potentially malignant tumorsJean Francois Henry
Department of Endocrine Surgery, University Hospital La Timone, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13385 Marseilles Cedex 05, France
World J Surg 26:1043-7. 2002..Conversion to open adrenalectomy should be performed if local invasion is observed during surgery. At present the risk of intraabdominal recurrence is unknown...
- [Conventional surgery versus laparoscopic surgery. Adrenal pathology]R Bellantone
Division of Endocrine Surgery, Department of Surgery, , Rome, Italy
Suppl Tumori 1:S14-8. 2002
- Surgery of the adrenalsE Darracott Vaughan
The James Buchanan Brady Foundation, The New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 4:400-26. 2004
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMHECTOR MOBINE; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings may not only afford further appreciation of the pathophysiology and etiology of peripartum cardiomyopathy but also of general mechanisms in disease progression. ..
- SECURIN REGULATION OF PANCREATIC beta CELL MASSRun Yu; Fiscal Year: 2007..John Adams and Basil Rapoport). Building on my extensive basic and clinical training, I expect to become an independent endocrine researcher upon completion of this K08 grant . ..
- CHROMAFFIN CELL PROLIFERATION IN NEOPLASTIC PROGRESSIONArthur Tischler; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed studies will help to elucidate mechanisms that may be involved in the development and progression of pheochromocytomas. ..
- PHEOCHROMOCYTOMAS FROM NEUROFIBROMATOSIS KNOCKOUT MICEArthur Tischler; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) To determine the status of neurofibromin in MPC cells and test the hypothesis that abnormal regulation of ras activity is responsible for neuronal differentiation in this model. ..
- Mechanisms of Cholinesterase Inhibitors on Beta-amyloidDebomoy Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2006..This property will be further investigated to maximize their potential effects in decreasing amyloid depositions, and which can be utilized to design better drugs for the treatment of AD. ..
- APP GENE PROMOTER IN ALZHEIMER'S DISEASEDebomoy Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2004..Understanding the complex interplay between the promoter domains and the transcription factors may suggest novel methods for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Regulation of APP Pathway Gene Promoters in Alzheimer'sDebomoy Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2007..Studying APP and BACE gene regulation is crucial to understand APP production leading to Aa generation. These studies should help developing suitable drug targets for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Cholinesterase Inhibitors in Alzheimer's DiseaseDebomoy K Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2010..The outcome of the proposal is to identify mechanisms by which ChEIs block potentially toxic AB levels and to utilize this property in developing novel therapeutic agents. ..
- Cholinesterase Inhibitors in Alzheimer's DiseaseDebomoy Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2009..The outcome of the proposal is to identify mechanisms by which ChEIs block potentially toxic AB levels and to utilize this property in developing novel therapeutic agents. ..
- Regulation of APP Pathway Gene Promoters in Alzheimer'sDebomoy Lahiri; Fiscal Year: 2009..Studying APP and BACE gene regulation is crucial to understand APP production leading to Aa generation. These studies should help developing suitable drug targets for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- The role of epidermal, fibroblast and endothelial cell COX-2 in skin cancerHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate we will be able to define the critical cells and times for COX-2 cancer enhancement. ..
- IMAGING COX-2 GENE EXPRESSION IN INFLAMMATION AND TUMORSHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Studies with this mouse will correlate optical and microPET imaging technologies. ..
- Molecular mechanisms of fatty liver disease: role of the protein DBC1Eduardo Chini; Fiscal Year: 2009..These alarming data and predictions clearly show that it is imperative to further understand the molecular mechanisms that modulate the development of liver steatosis. ..
- Michigan Mentored Clinical Scholars ProgramDavid Schteingart; Fiscal Year: 2007..On the basis of these resources, we are confident we can offer an outstanding pro_am for the training of clinical research scholars. ..
- Computer Aided Liver Lesion Detection AlgorithmLawrence Schwartz; Fiscal Year: 2005..Clearly this is the first step in a process of development and if successful will lead to further efforts in automated detection and characterization. ..
- Neurotrophic Factor & Neuronal Primary Responses GenesHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, we will determine mechanisms by which (i) NGF induces UPAR and (ii) UPAR modulates NGF-driven neuron differentiation. ..
- Detecting Med Errors in Rural Hospitals Using TechnologyC Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MUTANT P53 GAIN OF FUNCTION IN TUMORIGENESISGerard Zambetti; Fiscal Year: 2002..The studies proposed here will build on these observations and contribute to our understanding of how mutation of p53 enhances cell growth and tumorigenicity. ..
- HEART IMAGING AGENTS: A STRUCTURAL-MECHANISTIC STUDYDavid Raffel; Fiscal Year: 2007..This systematic study of [11C]guanidines should result in the development of a tracer with optimal kinetics for quantifying cardiac sympathetic nerve density with PET. ..
- NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR AND NEURONAL PRIMARY RESPONSE GENESHarvey Herschman; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Anesthetics and Alzheimer's DiseaseRoderic G Eckenhoff; Fiscal Year: 2010....