Summary: Accidental injuries caused by brief high-voltage electrical discharges during thunderstorms. Cardiopulmonary arrest, coma and other neurologic symptoms, myocardial necrosis, and dermal burns are common. Prompt treatment of the acute sequelae, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is indicated for survival.
Publications134 found, 100 shown here
- Lightning injuriesMedley O'Keefe Gatewood
Harvard University School of Medicine, The Massachusetts General and Brigham and Women s Hospitals, 75 Francis Street, Neville House Room 226, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 22:369-403. 2004..To understand the pathophysiology and treatment of lightning injuries one must first discount the innumerable myths, superstitions, and misconceptions surrounding lightning...
- The neurological complications of electrical injury: a nursing case management perspectiveValerie Coubrough
Axone 23:14-22. 2002..The numerous challenges inherent in the management of these complex cases were illustrated by three case studies...
- External cause-specific summaries of occupational fatal injuries. Part II: an analysis of years of potential life lostA John Bailer
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056 1641, USA
Am J Ind Med 43:251-61. 2003....
- Ball lightning encephalopathyMichael Cherington
J Burn Care Rehabil 24:175. 2003
- Lightning-induced maculopathySuk J Moon
The Eye Institute, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226 4812, USA
Retina 25:380-2. 2005
- Lightning injuries: prevention and on-site treatment in mountains and remote areas. Official guidelines of the International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine and the Medical Commission of the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation Ken Zafren
Division of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, 701 Welch Road, Building C, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Resuscitation 65:369-72. 2005..Respiratory arrest may be prolonged, but the prognosis can be excellent if breathing is supported. Standard Advanced Life Support (ALS), if necessary, should be given at the scene...
- Electrical and lightning injuriesHemmat Maghsoudi
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Burn Care Res 28:255-61. 2007..Electrical burn injuries continue to be a serious problem of modern society. Climbing power poles is the most common mechanism for high-voltage injury. Special consideration is required to prevent this type of injury in our region...
- Ocular manifestations of remote lightning strikeMichael S Lee
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Retina 22:808-10. 2002
- Ophthalmic manifestations of lightning strikeM E Norman
Seacoast Ophthalmology, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 46:19-24. 2001..Prompt evaluation by an ophthalmologist is imperative for maximizing outcomes. Incidence and mechanisms of lightning strike injury are summarized, with special emphasis on the treatment of ocular injuries...
- The long-term consequences of lightning injuriesT Muehlberger
Department of Plastic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Hannover, Krankenhaus Oststadt, Podbielskistrasse 380, 30659, Hannover, Germany
Burns 27:829-33. 2001..Based on these findings and a literature review, we believe that the overall outcome of lightning injuries is more favourable than generally reported.
- Neurologic manifestations of lightning strikesMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, 4231 West 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Neurology 60:182-5. 2003
- A case of takotsubo-shaped hypokinesis of the left ventricle caused by a lightning strikeMotonori Hayashi
Department of Medicine, Omachi General Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Int Heart J 46:933-8. 2005..This is the first reported case of takotsubo cardiomyopathy caused by lightning. Takotsubo-shaped hypokinesis is not described as a complication of lightning-induced cardiac injury and its pathogenesis remains controversial...
- High tension electrical injury from a telephone receiverP C Thomas
Department of Burns and Plastic Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal 576, 119, Karnataka, India
Burns 27:502-3. 2001..The current entered the telephone circuit due to contact with a high tension live wire running close to the telephone wire 2 km away from the site of incidence...
- Lightning: an unusual etiology of gastrointestinal perforationSahin Aslan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Ataturk University, School of Medicine, 25090 Erzurum, Turkey
Burns 31:237-9. 2005
- Images in emergency medicine. Lightning strikeChristopher P Holstege
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Medical Toxicology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 45:354, 362. 2005
- Epidemiology of electrical and lightning related deaths and injuries among Canadian children and youthB H Nguyen
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Inj Prev 10:122-4. 2004....
- [Emergency treatment of injuries following lightning and electrical accidents]W Lederer
Univ Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Allg Intensivmedizin, Medizinische Universitat, Innsbruck
Anaesthesist 54:1120-9. 2005..Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) follows the international guidelines for resuscitation and may be effective after delayed onset and even after prolonged resuscitation attempts...
- Myocardial injury due to lightning strike--a case reportOmer Alyan
Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Angiology 57:219-23. 2006..In this paper, the authors report a 38-year-old man who was injured by lightning, a typical example of ;;side splash,'' and had transient electrocardiographic changes...
- Lightning safety guidelinesChristoph Zimmermann
Wxline, Tucson, AZ, USA
Ann Emerg Med 39:660-4. 2002..This paper is a summary of the recommendations developed by the LSG...
- Abnormal electroretinogram and abnormal electrooculogram after lightning-induced ocular injuryChun Ju Lin
Department of Ophthalmology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Ophthalmol 133:578-9. 2002..To report a case of abnormal electrooculogram and abnormal electroretinogram after lightning-induced ocular injury...
- Was Saint Paul struck blind and converted by lightning?J D Bullock
Department of Ophthalmology, Wright State University, School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio
Surv Ophthalmol 39:151-60. 1994....
- Lightning injuries and acute renal failure: a reviewU V Okafor
University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria
Ren Fail 27:129-34. 2005..A major complication of a lightning strike is acute renal failure (ARF). The true incidence of ARF due to lightning injuries worldwide is difficult to ascertain because of significant underreporting, due in large measure to cultural ..
- Malignant melanoma in a burn scarH K Orlet
The Joseph M. Still Burn Center, Augusta, GA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 46:59-61. 2001..The specimen from the reexcision was reported as squamous cell carcinoma in situ, melanoma in situ, and multinucleated giant cell reaction, acute and chronic infiltrates. The wound margins were clear...
- Ear injuries caused by lightning: report of 18 casesI Gluncic
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Split, Croatia
J Laryngol Otol 115:4-8. 2001..Tympanic injury caused by lightning should be actively treated. Lightning survivors require additional psychotherapeutic treatment...
- Acute rhabdomyolysis of the soleus muscle induced by a lightning strike: magnetic resonance and scintigraphic findingsNaofumi Watanabe
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
Skeletal Radiol 36:671-5. 2007..Since the patient showed a surprisingly high level of serum creatine kinase, the added information was very valuable for determining the patient's management...
- Lightning fatalities on the South African Highveld: a retrospective descriptive study for the period 1997 to 2000Ryan Blumenthal
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:66-9. 2005..This study serves to illustrate the relatively high incidence of lightning strikes in the region and calls for a more systematic and detailed investigative protocol in lightning-related deaths...
- [Lightning injuries: case report of a 17-year-old man and a brief review of the literature]N Stutz
Abteilung für Plastische, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Zentrum für Schwerbrandverletzte, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Breslauerstrasse 201, 90471 Nürnberg
Unfallchirurg 109:495-8. 2006..The most vulnerable subjects for lightning injuries are individuals who work in open fields...
- Combined Bennett's fracture subluxation and scapho-trapezio-trapezoidal dislocation secondary to lightning strikeRuben Y Kannan
Royal Free Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma 57:1351-3. 2004
- [Lightening-induced injury of the air. Lightening-induced tympanic membrane perforation left with subsequent temporary pancochlear inner ear hearing loss as well as left-sided tinnitus]T Just
Klinik und Poliklinik für HNO Heilkunde, Kopf und Halschirurgie Otto Körner, Universitat Rostock
HNO 50:170-1. 2002
- [Lightning strike through the telephone wire]Maria A Martín Mardomingo
Servicio de Pediatria, Hospital de Cabuenes, Gijon, Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 61:85-6. 2004
- Spectral-domain optical coherence tomography in lightning-induced maculopathyMaria Stefaniotou
University Eye Clinic of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 43:e35-7. 2012..As evidenced by this report, despite being sight-threatening, such injuries may allow for a significant functional recovery...
- Acute renal failure due to myoglobulinuria in a patient struck by lightningVincent U Okafor
Department of Anaesthesia, National Hospital, Abuja, Nigeria
Nephrology (Carlton) 11:478-9. 2006
- [Electrical injuries]Dalia Adukauskiene
Clinic of Intensive Therapy, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 43:259-66. 2007..The most important is to understand the possible danger of electricity and to avoid it...
- An injury subjacent to lac ornament in a case of lightningAshesh Gunwantrao Wankhede
Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Smt Kashibai Navale Medical College, Narhe Ambegao, Pune, Maharashtra, India
Forensic Sci Int 195:e9-12. 2010....
- Bilateral cataract following lightning injuryA Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:624-6. 2006..To report a case of bilateral cataract with posterior vitreous detachment induced by lightning injury...
- Atmospheric flash injuries in roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)Diana Zele
Institute for Breeding and Health Care of Wild Animals, Fishes and Bees, Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Gerbiceva 60, Slovenia
Acta Vet Hung 54:43-9. 2006..Necropsy revealed diffuse haemorrhages over the epicardium of the right atrium with a diameter of 1 millimetre. The liver and the kidney exhibited severe congestion...
- Bilateral perilymphatic fistulas from a lightning strike: a case reportGordon H Sun
Department of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh and University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1039-42. 2006
- NTDB data points: Zeus on the 18th holeRichard J Fantus
Bull Am Coll Surg 91:34-5. 2006
- Unusual resuscitation situations: environmental emergenciesGreg Friese
Emergency Preparedness Systems, LLC, USA
Emerg Med Serv 34:57-63. 2005
- Electrocardiographic changes in a bystander during lightning in IndiaRanjan Kumar Singh
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:299. 2008
- Lightning induced atrial fibrillationL Dronacahrya
Manipal Teaching Hospital, Pokhara, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 6:514-5. 2008..Oral Metoprolol alone was given to control ventricular rate. Spontaneous reversion to sinus rhythm within 36 hours is in favor of new onset lightning induced AF...
- More on thunderstorms and iPodsPaul T Mick
N Engl J Med 357:1447-8; authot reply 1448. 2007
- Neurorehabilitation of spinal cord injuries following lightning and electrical traumaDaniel P Lammertse
The Lightning Data Center, Saint Anthony Hospital, Denver, CO, USA
NeuroRehabilitation 20:9-14. 2005..This article will review the neurorehabilitation approach to this rare and challenging group of patients...
- Spectrum of neurologic complications of lightning injuriesMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, 4231 W 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
NeuroRehabilitation 20:3-8. 2005..The sensible course for individuals at risk is to learn and follow lightning safety recommendations...
- Does a sixth mechanism exist to explain lightning injuries?: investigating a possible new injury mechanism to determine the cause of injuries related to close lightning flashesRyan Blumenthal
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 33:222-6. 2012..Temporary and permanent cavity formations were confirmed. The cavities formed were directly proportional to the currents used. Findings suggest that a sixth mechanism of lightning injury, namely, barotrauma, should be considered...
- Severe rhabdomyolysis without renal injury associated with lightning strikeNorberto Navarrete
Burns Intensive Care Unit, Plastic Surgery and Burns Department, Hospital Simon Bolivar, Bogota, Colombia
J Burn Care Res 34:e209-12. 2013..The patient did not require alkalinization of urine, mannitol, or dialysis, and his renal function remained normal...
- An evidence-based approach to electrical injuries in childrenSuzanne Roberts
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Jacobi Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY, USA
Pediatr Emerg Med Pract 10:1-16; quiz 16-7. 2013..This review highlights the current literature related to the evaluation and management of children with electrical injuries presenting to the emergency department...
- The long-term consequences of lightning injuries. Muehlberger T, Vogt PM, Munster AM, (Burns 2001;27:829-33)Sidney F Miller
Burns 29:97. 2003
- Lightning injuriesDarren Whitcomb
Trauma Program, Charity Hospital, New Orleans, LA, USA
South Med J 95:1331-4. 2002..Thorough evaluation of all organ systems is crucial. This report discusses mechanism of injury and describes initial evaluation and treatment of lightning strike victims...
- Case report of a 13-year-old struck by lightningS P Courtman
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, London, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 13:76-9. 2003..This is the case report of a 13-year-old boy who had a cardiac arrest following a direct lightning strike, and his subsequent management...
- An unusual case of late ocular changes after lightning injuryHimadri Datta
Department of Ophthalmology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 50:224-5. 2002..We describe a case of late ocular changes after lightning injury. One year after the injury, complete ankyloblepharon, severe dry eye, corneal opacity, healed iritis and mature cataracts were noted in both eyes of the patient...
- "Thunderstruck": penetrating thoracic injury from lightning strikeOscar J F van Waes
Department of Trauma Surgery, Erasmus MC, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands Electronic address
Ann Emerg Med 63:457-9. 2014..Penetrating injury due to blast from lightning strike is extremely rare. These "shrapnel" injuries should however be ruled out in all patients struck by lightning. ..
- Detection of gold particles in the neck skin after lightning stroke with evaporation of an ornamental chainLudwig Jonas
Department of Pathology, Electron Microscopic Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rostock, Germany
Ultrastruct Pathol 26:153-9. 2002..Attempts to remove the gold particles from the skin to remove the tattoo should not be undertaken because the gold is deep and widespread...
- Inner ear damage following electric current and lightning injury: a literature reviewP C Modayil
Department of Otolaryngology, St George s Healthcare NHS Trust, Blackshaw Road, London, SE17 0QT, UK
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 271:855-61. 2014..audiovestibular damage following electric current injury (domestic or industrial); a further 15 reported lightning injuries and five concerned pathophysiology and management...
- Physeal injury in a lightning strike survivorJ K Lim
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National University Hospital, Singapore
J Pediatr Orthop 21:608-12. 2001..The authors discuss the pathophysiology of lightning strike and consider the evidence for direct electrical injury versus ischemic insult to the physis as explanations for the cause of the growth arrest observed in this patient...
- [A case of fatal lightning stroke at an unusual site--the city center]Michał Kaliszan
Katedry i Zakładu Medycyny Sadowej Gdańskiego Uniwersytetu Medycznego, Gdansk
Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol 62:208-12. 2012..Metal used in the construction of the pipes most probably attracted lightning and generated the current which electrocuted the man standing on their surface...
- Central hyperadrenergic state after lightning strikeAjay K Parsaik
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN, 55905, USA
Clin Auton Res 23:169-73. 2013..To describe and review autonomic complications of lightning strike...
- [Electropathology in Vienna, an exhibition on accident prevention]Beatrix Patzak
Pathologisch anatomische Sammlung im Narrenturm NHM, Naturhistorisches Museum Wien, Spitalgasse 2, 1090, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 163:420-5. 2013..Due to the different vulnerable groups, the availability of prevention work is difficult. The concept of the electro-pathological collection in Vienna has taken this into account. ..
- Electrical injury and lightning injury: a review of their mechanisms and neuropsychological, psychiatric, and neurological sequelaeK Duff
Department of Psychology, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany 12222, USA
Neuropsychol Rev 11:101-16. 2001..Important issues relevant to researchers in the field are discussed. Finally, the role that neuropsychology might play in this area is outlined...
- Cochlear implantation for severe sensorineural hearing loss caused by lightningNam Suk Myung
Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Gyeongnam, Korea
Am J Otolaryngol 33:767-9. 2012..We report the case of a 45-year-old woman with bilateral profound sensorineural hearing loss caused by a lightning strike, who was successfully rehabilitated after a cochlear implantation...
- Wilderness medical society practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of lightning injuriesChris Davis
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Wilderness Environ Med 23:260-9. 2012..Society convened an expert panel to develop evidence-based guidelines for the treatment and prevention of lightning injuries. These guidelines include a review of the epidemiology of lightning strikes and recommendations for the ..
- Electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopic evidence of increased free radical generation and selective damage to skeletal muscle following lightning injuryDamian M Bailey
Hypoxia Research Unit, Department of Physiology, School of Applied Sciences, University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK CF37 1DL
High Alt Med Biol 4:281-9. 2003..Furthermore, free radicals may contribute to the pathogenesis of lightning injury, and dietary supplementation with antioxidant vitamins may prove of some benefit against associated tissue damage...
- Adolescents' perceived risk and personal experience with natural disasters: an evaluation of cognitive heuristicsL Greening
Department of Psychology, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa 35487 0348, USA
Acta Psychol (Amst) 91:27-38. 1996..The implications for risk perception research are discussed...
- Mountain medical mystery. Unwitnessed death of a healthy young man, caused by lightningM Cherington
Lightning Data Center, Centura Health-St. Anthony Hospital, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 22:296-8. 2001..The National Lightning Detection Network can be a valuable resource to investigators by providing information on the location and date of lightning strikes in the vicinity of the victim...
- Remarkable rates of lightning strike mortality in MalawiMonique Borgerhoff Mulder
Department of Anthropology, University of California, Davis, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e29281. 2012....
- Damage due to lightning when it strikes the faceAshesh Gunwantrao Wankhede
Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Smt Kashibai Navale Medical College, Narhe, Pune 411041, Maharashtra, India
Forensic Sci Int 224:e1-3. 2013..The damage described in the present paper must be considered when there is direct lightning strike on the face...
- Lightning safety of animalsChandima Gomes
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Centre of Excellence on Lightning Protection, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Biometeorol 56:1011-23. 2012..A large number of cases from several countries have been analyzed. Economically and practically viable engineering solutions are proposed to address the issues related to the lightning threats discussed...
- Secondary missile injury from lightning strikeRyan Blumenthal
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 33:83-5. 2012..Small pieces of concrete were located embedded within the shrapnel wounds. This case report represents the first documented case of secondary missile formation (shrapnel injury) due to lightning strike in the literature...
- [Lightning strikes and lightning injuries in prehospital emergency medicine. Relevance, results, and practical implications]J Hinkelbein
Klinik fur Anasthesiologie und Operative Intensivmedizin, Universitätsklinikum Köln AöR, Kerpener Straße 62, 50937 Koln
Unfallchirurg 116:74-9. 2013..Up to 32.2% of patients in a burn center suffer from electrical injuries. Of these patients, 2-4% present with lightning injuries. In Germany, approximately 50 people per year are injured by a lightning strike and 3-7 fatally...
- Lightning and thermal injuriesArthur Sanford
Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, USA
Handb Clin Neurol 120:981-6. 2014..Neurologic complications from electrical and lightning injuries are highly variable and may present early or late (up to 2 years) after the injury...
- Lightning safety awareness of visitors in three California national parksLori Weichenthal
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Wilderness Environ Med 22:257-61. 2011..To assess the level of lightning safety awareness among visitors at 3 national parks in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California...
- National Athletic Trainers' Association position statement: lightning safety for athletics and recreationKatie M Walsh
East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, USA
J Athl Train 48:258-70. 2013To present recommendations for the education, prevention, and management of lightning injuries for those involved in athletics or recreation.
- The spinal cord in lightning injury: a report of two casesSowmya Lakshminarayanan
New Jersey Neuroscience Institute Seton Hall University at JFK Medical Center, Edison, NJ 08818, USA
J Neurol Sci 276:199-201. 2009..Follow-up several months later showed almost complete resolution of symptoms. These patients demonstrate that the prognosis of spinal cord injury complicating a lightning strike may not be uniformly poor...
- Thunderstorms and iPods--two reports of the same caseEric J Heffernan
N Engl J Med 357:723. 2007
- Lightning strike: an unusual etiology of gastric perforationZafer Kilbas
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara 06018, Turkey
Am J Emerg Med 26:966.e5-7. 2008..In this study, we present a case of gastric perforation after lightning strike. No report related to gastric perforation caused by lightning strike has been identified in the literature...
- Lichtenberg figures and lightning: case reports and review of the literatureMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospitals, 4231 W 16th Ave, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Cutis 80:141-3. 2007..Many researchers believe that LFs are fractal patterns and do not correspond to known vascular or neuroanatomic patterns. We present our ideas on possible mechanisms of the pathophysiology of LFs...
- Lichtenberg figures: cutaneous manifestation of phone electrocution from lightningAjay L Mahajan
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:111-3. 2008..These appear to be a result of an inflammatory response as current spreads out causing ionisation and heat effects and damage to the small subcutaneous capillaries...
- Thunderstorms and iPods--not a good ideaEric J Heffernan
N Engl J Med 357:198-9. 2007
- A case of acute myocardial infarction due to indirect lightning strikeHayrettin Saglam
Afyonkocatepe University of Medical School, Department of Cardiology, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
J Electrocardiol 40:527-30. 2007..We present the case of a 13-year-old boy with acute myocardial infarction secondary to an indirect lightning strike...
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy following lightning strikeB K Dundon
Cardiovascular Investigation Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, Australia
Emerg Med J 25:460-1. 2008....
- [Survival following lightning strike and treatment of sequelae]Malene Lægdsgaard Pedersen
Anæstesiologisk Afdeling, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 173:1138-9. 2011..We describe the clinical observations, therapy and injuries which may be expected. Furthermore, the pathophysiology and factors influencing the survival of this patient are discussed...
- Forensics in dermatology: part IIKalpana Reddy
The State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 64:811-24; quiz 825-6. 2011..Forensic findings in hair and nails are also discussed. This overview of dermatologic findings in forensic pathology highlights the significance of the cutaneous manifestations of injury...
- Evolution of severe lightning maculopathy visualized with spectral domain optical coherence tomographyBlair Armstrong
Retina Service, Wills Eye Institute, 840 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 41:S70-3. 2010..The authors report a case of lightning maculopathy with serial spectral domain optical coherence tomographs that, for the first time, elegantly illustrate the natural history of this uncommon, ominous condition...
- [Neurological symptoms following lightening strike]Rianne C van Spijker
Spaarne Ziekenhuis, afd Neurologie, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A774. 2009..After excluding other possible causes, the patient was diagnosed with 'polyneuropathy due to lightning strike'. Gabapentine had a favourable effect on the sensory symptoms. Lightening strikes are a rare cause of polyneuropathy...
- Bilateral macular hole secondary to remote lightning strikeKrishna A Rao
Department of Ophthalmology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:470-2. 2009..This is the first case report of such nature in India to the best of our knowledge...
- [Lightning strike to a vehicle causing acute acoustic trauma]F Angerer
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Erlangen
HNO 57:1081-3. 2009..Cochlear injuries as an acute acoustic trauma have to be considered in lightning strikes and can occur when a car is struck by lightning...
- Fatal lightning strikes in MalaysiaO P Murty
Forensic Pathology Unit, Department of Pathology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:246-51. 2009..0%). Head and neck were the most commonly affected sites with the incidence of 77.78% and 74% respectively in all the victims. Only 29.63% of the cases presented with ear bleeding...
- Lightning fatality with blast, flame, heat and current effects: a macroscopic and microscopic viewO P Murty
Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, UITM, Malaysia 40450
J Forensic Leg Med 16:162-7. 2009A case is presented of a fatal environmental accidental injuries of lightning. A pedestrian was struck by lightning. The macroscopic and microscopic lightning injuries are reviewed.
- Beyond the basics: lightning-strike injuriesJoseph J Mistovich
Department of Health Professions, Youngstown State University, OH, USA
EMS Mag 37:82-7; quiz 88-9. 2008....
- [Management of the common European viper's bite--a case report]Agnes Sziray
Miskolci Semmelweis Ignác Egészségügyi Központ és Egyetemi Oktató Kórház Nonprofit Kft Bőrgyógyászati Osztály Miskolc Jókai Mór u 4 3525
Orv Hetil 152:1661-5. 2011..In connection with the case, authors provide an overview of the clinical symptoms caused by viper venom, and current issues of professional care...
- Lightning strike: a rare cause of bilateral ossicular disruptionC Offiah
Department of Neuroradiology, St Bartholomew and the Royal London Hospitals, West Smithfield, London, UK
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:974-5. 2007..We report the first documented case of ossicular disruption in a lightning-strike victim...
- Air traffic controller lightning strikeM E Spieth
Department of Radiology, King Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90059
J Natl Med Assoc 86:713-5. 1994..Lack of a lightning rod is the most likely reason the controller was struck. Proper precautions against lightning strikes can prevent such occupational safety hazards...
- Pneumomediastinum caused by a lightning strikeAri Halldorsson
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
J Trauma 57:196-7. 2004
- Long-term sequelae of lightning strike in a child: a case report and reviewLinda S Nield
Department of Pediatrics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 43:563-7. 2004
- Learning a golden rule ... the hard wayRonald McCoy
Aust Fam Physician 33:368. 2004
- James Parkinson: links to Charcot, Lichtenbergh, and lightningMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Arch Neurol 61:977. 2004
- MR imaging findings in delayed reversible myelopathy from lightning strikeCynthia B Freeman
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:851-3. 2004..Axial images localized the hyperintense signal to the posterolateral region of the spinal cord bilaterally. Follow-up MR imaging 6 weeks later demonstrated resolution of abnormal cord signal intensity...
- Burns from out of the blue. Lightning strikeNeil F Gibbs
Department of Dermatology, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, USA
Postgrad Med 113:67-8, 85. 2003
- Globus pharyngis: was it a stroke of lightning?Massimo Montalto
Am J Gastroenterol 98:938-9. 2003
- Lightning injury in an outdoor swine herdWilliam G Van Alstine
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1175, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 15:289-91. 2003..Because vertebral fractures may be the only lesions and may be grossly subtle in heavily muscled pigs, careful pelvic and vertebral dissection is recommended in cases of suspected lightning strike and electrocution...
- Lightning and Lichtenberg figuresMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, 4231 W 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Injury 34:367-71. 2003
- ELECTRIC INJURY--IMAGING OF THERMAL/NON-THERMAL ASPECTSRaphael Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..