Summary: Accidental injuries caused by brief high-voltage electrical discharges during thunderstorms. Cardiopulmonary arrest, coma and other neurologic symptoms, myocardial necrosis, and dermal burns are common. Prompt treatment of the acute sequelae, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation, is indicated for survival.
Publications105 found, 100 shown here
- The neurological complications of electrical injury: a nursing case management perspectiveValerie Coubrough
Axone 23:14-22. 2002..The numerous challenges inherent in the management of these complex cases were illustrated by three case studies...
- External cause-specific summaries of occupational fatal injuries. Part II: an analysis of years of potential life lostA John Bailer
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056 1641, USA
Am J Ind Med 43:251-61. 2003....
- Ball lightning encephalopathyMichael Cherington
J Burn Care Rehabil 24:175. 2003
- Lightning injuriesRichard D Zane
Harvard University School of Medicine, The Massachusetts General and Brigham and Women's Hospitals, 75 Francis Street, Neville House Room 226, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 22:369-403. 2004..To understand the pathophysiology and treatment of lightning injuries one must first discount the innumerable myths, superstitions, and misconceptions surrounding lightning...
- Struck-by-lightning deaths in the United StatesNelson Adekoya
Research Scientist, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
J Environ Health 67:45-50, 58. 2005..Although prevention programs could target the entire nation, interventions might be most effective if directed to regions with the majority of fatalities because they have the majority of lightning strikes per year...
- Electrical and lightning injuriesHemmat Maghsoudi
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
J Burn Care Res 28:255-61. 2007..Electrical burn injuries continue to be a serious problem of modern society. Climbing power poles is the most common mechanism for high-voltage injury. Special consideration is required to prevent this type of injury in our region...
- Ophthalmic manifestations of lightning strikeM E Norman
Seacoast Ophthalmology, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
Surv Ophthalmol 46:19-24. 2001..Prompt evaluation by an ophthalmologist is imperative for maximizing outcomes. Incidence and mechanisms of lightning strike injury are summarized, with special emphasis on the treatment of ocular injuries...
- Lightning-induced maculopathySuk J Moon
The Eye Institute, The Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226-4812, USA
Retina 25:380-2. 2005
- Ocular manifestations of remote lightning strikeMichael S Lee
Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Retina 22:808-10. 2002
- [Electrical injuries]Dalia Adukauskiene
Clinic of Intensive Therapy, Kaunas University of Medicine, Kaunas, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 43:259-66. 2007..The most important is to understand the possible danger of electricity and to avoid it...
- Neurologic manifestations of lightning strikesMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St. Anthony Hospital, 4231 West 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Neurology 60:182-5. 2003
- Electrocardiographic changes in a bystander during lightning in IndiaRanjan Kumar Singh
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:299. 2008
- A case of takotsubo-shaped hypokinesis of the left ventricle caused by a lightning strikeMotonori Hayashi
Department of Medicine, Omachi General Hospital, Nagano, Japan
Int Heart J 46:933-8. 2005..This is the first reported case of takotsubo cardiomyopathy caused by lightning. Takotsubo-shaped hypokinesis is not described as a complication of lightning-induced cardiac injury and its pathogenesis remains controversial...
- High tension electrical injury from a telephone receiverP C Thomas
Department of Burns and Plastic Surgery, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal 576, 119, Karnataka, India
Burns 27:502-3. 2001..The current entered the telephone circuit due to contact with a high tension live wire running close to the telephone wire 2 km away from the site of incidence...
- Lightning: an unusual etiology of gastrointestinal perforationSahin Aslan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Ataturk University, School of Medicine, 25090 Erzurum, Turkey
Burns 31:237-9. 2005
- Atmospheric flash injuries in roe deer (Capreolus capreolus)Diana Zele
Institute for Breeding and Health Care of Wild Animals, Fishes and Bees, Veterinary Faculty, University of Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Gerbiceva 60, Slovenia
Acta Vet Hung 54:43-9. 2006..Necropsy revealed diffuse haemorrhages over the epicardium of the right atrium with a diameter of 1 millimetre. The liver and the kidney exhibited severe congestion...
- Images in emergency medicine. Lightning strikeChristopher P Holstege
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Medical Toxicology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Ann Emerg Med 45:354, 362. 2005
- Epidemiology of electrical and lightning related deaths and injuries among Canadian children and youthB H Nguyen
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Hopital Ste Justine, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Inj Prev 10:122-4. 2004....
- Electrical injury and lightning injury: a review of their mechanisms and neuropsychological, psychiatric, and neurological sequelaeK Duff
Department of Psychology, University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany 12222, USA
Neuropsychol Rev 11:101-16. 2001..Important issues relevant to researchers in the field are discussed. Finally, the role that neuropsychology might play in this area is outlined...
- [Emergency treatment of injuries following lightning and electrical accidents]W Lederer
Univ Klinik für Anästhesiologie und Allg Intensivmedizin, Medizinische Universitat, Innsbruck
Anaesthesist 54:1120-9. 2005..Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) follows the international guidelines for resuscitation and may be effective after delayed onset and even after prolonged resuscitation attempts...
- Lightning injuriesDarren Whitcomb
Trauma Program, Charity Hospital, New Orleans, LA, USA
South Med J 95:1331-4. 2002..Thorough evaluation of all organ systems is crucial. This report discusses mechanism of injury and describes initial evaluation and treatment of lightning strike victims...
- Myocardial injury due to lightning strike--a case reportOmer Alyan
Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Angiology 57:219-23. 2006..In this paper, the authors report a 38-year-old man who was injured by lightning, a typical example of ;;side splash,'' and had transient electrocardiographic changes...
- Lightning safety guidelinesChristoph Zimmermann
Wxline, Tucson, AZ, USA
Ann Emerg Med 39:660-4. 2002..This paper is a summary of the recommendations developed by the LSG...
- An unusual case of late ocular changes after lightning injuryHimadri Datta
Department of Ophthalmology, Bankura Sammilani Medical College, Bankura, West Bengal, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 50:224-5. 2002..We describe a case of late ocular changes after lightning injury. One year after the injury, complete ankyloblepharon, severe dry eye, corneal opacity, healed iritis and mature cataracts were noted in both eyes of the patient...
- Abnormal electroretinogram and abnormal electrooculogram after lightning-induced ocular injuryChun-Ju Lin
Department of Ophthalmology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Am J Ophthalmol 133:578-9. 2002..CONCLUSION: Lightning is an uncommon cause of ocular injury. This is the first report of abnormal electro-oculogram and abnormal electroretinogram after lightning-induced ocular injury...
- Bilateral cataract following lightning injuryA Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry, India
Eur J Ophthalmol 16:624-6. 2006..To report a case of bilateral cataract with posterior vitreous detachment induced by lightning injury...
- Was Saint Paul struck blind and converted by lightning?J D Bullock
Department of Ophthalmology, Wright State University, School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio
Surv Ophthalmol 39:151-60. 1994....
- Mountain medical mystery. Unwitnessed death of a healthy young man, caused by lightningM Cherington
Lightning Data Center, Centura Health-St. Anthony Hospital, Denver, Colorado 80204, USA
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 22:296-8. 2001..The National Lightning Detection Network can be a valuable resource to investigators by providing information on the location and date of lightning strikes in the vicinity of the victim...
- Electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopic evidence of increased free radical generation and selective damage to skeletal muscle following lightning injuryDamian M Bailey
Hypoxia Research Unit, Department of Physiology, School of Applied Sciences, University of Glamorgan, South Wales, UK CF37 1DL
High Alt Med Biol 4:281-9. 2003..Furthermore, free radicals may contribute to the pathogenesis of lightning injury, and dietary supplementation with antioxidant vitamins may prove of some benefit against associated tissue damage...
- Unusual resuscitation situations: environmental emergenciesGreg Friese
Emergency Preparedness Systems, LLC, USA
Emerg Med Serv 34:57-63. 2005
- Case report of a 13-year-old struck by lightningS P Courtman
Department of Paediatric Intensive Care, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children, London, UK
Paediatr Anaesth 13:76-9. 2003..This is the case report of a 13-year-old boy who had a cardiac arrest following a direct lightning strike, and his subsequent management...
- Lightning injuries and acute renal failure: a reviewU V Okafor
University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Enugu State, Nigeria
Ren Fail 27:129-34. 2005..A major complication of a lightning strike is acute renal failure (ARF). The true incidence of ARF due to lightning injuries worldwide is difficult to ascertain because of significant underreporting, due in large measure to cultural ..
- Acute renal failure due to myoglobulinuria in a patient struck by lightningVincent U Okafor
Department of Anaesthesia, National Hospital, Abuja, Nigeria
Nephrology (Carlton) 11:478-9. 2006
- Malignant melanoma in a burn scarH K Orlet
The Joseph M. Still Burn Center, Augusta, GA, USA
Ann Plast Surg 46:59-61. 2001..The specimen from the reexcision was reported as squamous cell carcinoma in situ, melanoma in situ, and multinucleated giant cell reaction, acute and chronic infiltrates. The wound margins were clear...
- Ear injuries caused by lightning: report of 18 casesI Gluncic
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University Hospital Split, Croatia
J Laryngol Otol 115:4-8. 2001..Tympanic injury caused by lightning should be actively treated. Lightning survivors require additional psychotherapeutic treatment...
- Acute rhabdomyolysis of the soleus muscle induced by a lightning strike: magnetic resonance and scintigraphic findingsNaofumi Watanabe
Department of Radiology, Asahikawa Medical College, 2 1 1 1 Midorigaoka Higashi, Asahikawa 078 8510, Japan
Skeletal Radiol 36:671-5. 2007..Since the patient showed a surprisingly high level of serum creatine kinase, the added information was very valuable for determining the patient's management...
- [Lightning injuries: case report of a 17-year-old man and a brief review of the literature]N Stutz
Abteilung für Plastische, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Zentrum für Schwerbrandverletzte, Klinikum Nürnberg Süd, Breslauerstrasse 201, 90471 Nürnberg
Unfallchirurg 109:495-8. 2006..The most vulnerable subjects for lightning injuries are individuals who work in open fields...
- Lightning fatalities on the South African Highveld: a retrospective descriptive study for the period 1997 to 2000Ryan Blumenthal
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 26:66-9. 2005..This study serves to illustrate the relatively high incidence of lightning strikes in the region and calls for a more systematic and detailed investigative protocol in lightning-related deaths...
- Detection of gold particles in the neck skin after lightning stroke with evaporation of an ornamental chainLudwig Jonas
Department of Pathology, Electron Microscopic Centre, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rostock, Germany
Ultrastruct Pathol 26:153-9. 2002..Attempts to remove the gold particles from the skin to remove the tattoo should not be undertaken because the gold is deep and widespread...
- Combined Bennett's fracture subluxation and scapho-trapezio-trapezoidal dislocation secondary to lightning strikeRuben Y Kannan
Royal Free Hospital, London, United Kingdom
J Trauma 57:1351-3. 2004
- More on thunderstorms and iPodsPaul T Mick
N Engl J Med 357:1447-8; authot reply 1448. 2007
- [Lightening-induced injury of the air. Lightening-induced tympanic membrane perforation left with subsequent temporary pancochlear inner ear hearing loss as well as left-sided tinnitus]T Just
HNO 50:170-1. 2002
- Forensics in dermatology: part IIKalpana Reddy
The State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 64:811-24; quiz 825-6. 2011..Forensic findings in hair and nails are also discussed. This overview of dermatologic findings in forensic pathology highlights the significance of the cutaneous manifestations of injury...
- Lightning fatality with blast, flame, heat and current effects: a macroscopic and microscopic viewO P Murty
Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, UITM, Malaysia 40450
J Forensic Leg Med 16:162-7. 2009A case is presented of a fatal environmental accidental injuries of lightning. A pedestrian was struck by lightning. The macroscopic and microscopic lightning injuries are reviewed.
- Lichtenberg figures and lightning: case reports and review of the literatureMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospitals, 4231 W 16th Ave, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Cutis 80:141-3. 2007..Many researchers believe that LFs are fractal patterns and do not correspond to known vascular or neuroanatomic patterns. We present our ideas on possible mechanisms of the pathophysiology of LFs...
- Takotsubo cardiomyopathy following lightning strikeB K Dundon
Cardiovascular Investigation Unit, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, Australia
Emerg Med J 25:460-1. 2008....
- Injury from lightning strike while using mobile phone. Statistics and physics do not suggest a linkRamsey M Faragher
BMJ 333:96. 2006
- Fatal lightning strikes in MalaysiaO P Murty
Forensic Pathology Unit, Department of Pathology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 30:246-51. 2009..0%). Head and neck were the most commonly affected sites with the incidence of 77.78% and 74% respectively in all the victims. Only 29.63% of the cases presented with ear bleeding...
- Injury from lightning strike while using mobile phone. Mobile phones are not lightning strike riskChris W Althaus
BMJ 333:96. 2006
- The spinal cord in lightning injury: a report of two casesSowmya Lakshminarayanan
New Jersey Neuroscience Institute Seton Hall University at JFK Medical Center, Edison, NJ 08818, USA
J Neurol Sci 276:199-201. 2009..Follow-up several months later showed almost complete resolution of symptoms. These patients demonstrate that the prognosis of spinal cord injury complicating a lightning strike may not be uniformly poor...
- [Survival following lightning strike and treatment of sequelae]Malene Lægdsgaard Pedersen
Anæstesiologisk Afdeling, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Ugeskr Laeger 173:1138-9. 2011..We describe the clinical observations, therapy and injuries which may be expected. Furthermore, the pathophysiology and factors influencing the survival of this patient are discussed...
- Beyond the basics: lightning-strike injuriesJoseph J Mistovich
Department of Health Professions, Youngstown State University, OH, USA
EMS Mag 37:82-7; quiz 88-9. 2008....
- Lightning strike: an unusual etiology of gastric perforationZafer Kilbas
Department of General Surgery, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara 06018, Turkey
Am J Emerg Med 26:966.e5-7. 2008..In this study, we present a case of gastric perforation after lightning strike. No report related to gastric perforation caused by lightning strike has been identified in the literature...
- [Management of the common European viper's bite--a case report]Agnes Sziray
Miskolci Semmelweis Ignác Egészségügyi Központ és Egyetemi Oktató Kórház Nonprofit Kft Bőrgyógyászati Osztály Miskolc Jókai Mór u 4 3525
Orv Hetil 152:1661-5. 2011..In connection with the case, authors provide an overview of the clinical symptoms caused by viper venom, and current issues of professional care...
- Thunderstorms and iPods--two reports of the same caseEric J Heffernan
N Engl J Med 357:723. 2007
- Evolution of severe lightning maculopathy visualized with spectral domain optical coherence tomographyBlair Armstrong
Retina Service, Wills Eye Institute, 840 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 41:S70-3. 2010..The authors report a case of lightning maculopathy with serial spectral domain optical coherence tomographs that, for the first time, elegantly illustrate the natural history of this uncommon, ominous condition...
- Lightning: a risk factor for squamous cell carcinoma of the skinT Purnak
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 18:636. 2006
- A case of acute myocardial infarction due to indirect lightning strikeHayrettin Saglam
Afyonkocatepe University of Medical School, Department of Cardiology, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
J Electrocardiol 40:527-30. 2007..We present the case of a 13-year-old boy with acute myocardial infarction secondary to an indirect lightning strike...
- Thunderstorms and iPods--not a good ideaEric J Heffernan
N Engl J Med 357:198-9. 2007
- Lightning strike: a rare cause of bilateral ossicular disruptionC Offiah
Department of Neuroradiology, St Bartholomew and the Royal London Hospitals, West Smithfield, London, UK
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 28:974-5. 2007..We report the first documented case of ossicular disruption in a lightning-strike victim...
- Lightning, sudden cardiac death, simulation and an automated external defibrillator: the perfect stormKristen L Nelson
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Division of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, United States
Resuscitation 74:567-71. 2007..In this report, we describe the clinical course of this patient; briefly review lightning injuries, other causes of sudden cardiac death in children and use of AEDs...
- [Lightning strike to a vehicle causing acute acoustic trauma]F Angerer
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Kopf und Halschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Erlangen, Erlangen
HNO 57:1081-3. 2009..Cochlear injuries as an acute acoustic trauma have to be considered in lightning strikes and can occur when a car is struck by lightning...
- A lightning strike to the head causing a visual cortex defect with simple and complex visual hallucinationsIngo Kleiter
Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Universitätsstr 84, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 78:423-6. 2007..Using the European Cooperation for Lightning Detection network, a meteorological system for lightning surveillance, the exact geographical location and nature of the lightning flash were retrospectively retraced...
- Bilateral macular cyst after lightning visualized with optical coherence tomographyPedro J Rivas-Aguiño
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 34:893-4. 2006..OCT seems to be useful in the evaluation of lighting maculopathy to rule-out full-thickness macular hole in these cases, and avoid unnecessary surgery...
- Severe stunned myocardium after lightning strikeJaime Rivera
Department of Cardiology, Medica Sur Clinic, Mexico City, Mexico
Crit Care Med 35:280-5. 2007..To report the development of myocardial stunning and severe heart failure after lightning strike with total recovery of function...
- Lichtenberg figures: cutaneous manifestation of phone electrocution from lightningAjay L Mahajan
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Hand Surgery, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:111-3. 2008..These appear to be a result of an inflammatory response as current spreads out causing ionisation and heat effects and damage to the small subcutaneous capillaries...
- [Neurological symptoms following lightening strike]Rianne C van Spijker
Spaarne Ziekenhuis, afd Neurologie, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 153:A774. 2009..After excluding other possible causes, the patient was diagnosed with 'polyneuropathy due to lightning strike'. Gabapentine had a favourable effect on the sensory symptoms. Lightening strikes are a rare cause of polyneuropathy...
- Bilateral macular hole secondary to remote lightning strikeKrishna A Rao
Department of Ophthalmology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 57:470-2. 2009..This is the first case report of such nature in India to the best of our knowledge...
- Dramatic lightning injury with exit woundO P Murty
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Forensic Leg Med 14:225-7. 2007..The body of victim had flame and heat effect of atmospheric electricity on head and neck, face, and trunk. In this incidence of lightning other team mates of the victim were safe. The patient survived the attack...
- When thunder roars -- go indoors!Ryan Blumenthal
Department of Forensic Medicine at the University of Pretoria
S Afr Med J 96:38-9. 2006
- MR imaging findings in delayed reversible myelopathy from lightning strikeCynthia B Freeman
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Ottawa Hospital, Ontario, Canada
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 25:851-3. 2004..Axial images localized the hyperintense signal to the posterolateral region of the spinal cord bilaterally. Follow-up MR imaging 6 weeks later demonstrated resolution of abnormal cord signal intensity...
- Air traffic controller lightning strikeM E Spieth
Department of Radiology, King Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles, California 90059
J Natl Med Assoc 86:713-5. 1994..Lack of a lightning rod is the most likely reason the controller was struck. Proper precautions against lightning strikes can prevent such occupational safety hazards...
- Burns from out of the blue. Lightning strikeNeil F Gibbs
Department of Dermatology, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, USA
Postgrad Med 113:67-8, 85. 2003
- Globus pharyngis: was it a stroke of lightning?Massimo Montalto
Am J Gastroenterol 98:938-9. 2003
- Lightning injury in an outdoor swine herdWilliam G Van Alstine
Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1175, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 15:289-91. 2003..Because vertebral fractures may be the only lesions and may be grossly subtle in heavily muscled pigs, careful pelvic and vertebral dissection is recommended in cases of suspected lightning strike and electrocution...
- Lightning and Lichtenberg figuresMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St. Anthony Hospital, 4231 W. 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Injury 34:367-71. 2003
- Unusual injuries caused by lightning stroke. 1894R H E Knaggs
Wilderness Environ Med 13:162; discussion 158-60. 2002
- Ophthalmic manifestations of lightning [correction of lightening] strikesS Dinakaran
Surv Ophthalmol 47:292; author reply 292-3. 2002
- A large group of children struck by lightningA E Carte
South African Society for Atmospheric Sciences, Pretoria, South Africa
Ann Emerg Med 39:665-70. 2002..Many of these injuries occurred more frequently than would be expected from prior large reviews and reports...
- The long-term consequences of lightning injuriesT Muehlberger
Department of Plastic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Hannover, Krankenhaus Oststadt, Podbielskistrasse 380, 30659, Hannover, Germany
Burns 27:829-33. 2001..Based on these findings and a literature review, we believe that the overall outcome of lightning injuries is more favourable than generally reported.
- Biophysical injury mechanisms in electrical shock traumaR C Lee
Department of Surgery and Organismal Biology Biomechanics, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 2:477-509. 2000..In addition, we describe the anatomic patterns of the resultant tissue injury from these modes of electromagnetic exposures...
- Epidemiology, morbidity, mortality and treatment of lightning injuries in a Turkish burns unitsA K Aslar
Department of Surgery, Ankara Numune Teaching and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Clin Pract 55:502-4. 2001Deaths from lightning injuries are infrequent--0.2-0.8 per million per year. The victims are mostly young, active people who are struck during various outdoor activities in the summer months...
- Lightning injuries in sports: situations to avoidM Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, Denver, Colorado, USA
Sports Med 31:301-8. 2001..A nearby closed automobile may be the safest place until the danger is gone. Applying precautions when engaging in these sporting or recreational activities will help to minimise the risk of casualties or fatalities caused by lightning...
- Cataracts, bilateral macular holes, and rhegmatogenous retinal detachment induced by lightningA Espaillat
Espaillat Cabral Eye Institute, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Am J Ophthalmol 127:216-7. 1999..To report ocular injuries, including a unilateral rhegmatogenous retinal detachment, induced by lightning...
- James Parkinson: links to Charcot, Lichtenbergh, and lightningMichael Cherington
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, Denver, CO 80204, USA
Arch Neurol 61:977. 2004
- Learning a golden rule ... the hard wayRonald McCoy
Aust Fam Physician 33:368. 2004
- Lightning injuries: prevention and on-site treatment in mountains and remote areas. Official guidelines of the International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine and the Medical Commission of the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation Ken Zafren
Division of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, 701 Welch Road, Building C, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Resuscitation 65:369-72. 2005..Respiratory arrest may be prolonged, but the prognosis can be excellent if breathing is supported. Standard Advanced Life Support (ALS), if necessary, should be given at the scene...
- Neurorehabilitation of cerebral disorders following lightning and electrical traumaPhilip R Yarnell
Lightning Data Center, St Anthony Hospital, 4231 W 16th Avenue, Denver, CO 80204, USA
NeuroRehabilitation 20:15-8. 2005..b>Lightning injuries are usually the result of outdoor sports and leisure activities...
- Modern concepts of treatment and prevention of lightning injuriesRichard F Edlich
Plastic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
J Long Term Eff Med Implants 15:185-96. 2005..The best treatment of lightning injuries is prevention...
- Overlooked diagnoses in chronic pain: analysis of survivors of electric shock and lightning strikeNelson Hendler
Mensana Clinic, Stevenson, Department of Neurosurgery, Stevenson, Maryland 21153, USA
J Occup Environ Med 47:796-805. 2005..This article reports the most commonly overlooked diagnoses so that physicians can improve their evaluations...
- [Bilateral plexopathy following lightning injury]V Guiraud
Service de Neurologie, , , Cochin, Paris
Rev Neurol (Paris) 160:1078-80. 2004INTRODUCTION: The consequences of lightning injuries on the peripheral nervous system are widely unknown. CASE REPORT: We report on a 31 year-old woman who developed a bilateral brachial plexopathy 15 days after a lightning strike...
- Lightning: an unusual cause of cerebellar infarctionS Aslan
Department of Emergency Medicine, Ataturk University, School of Medicine, Erzurum, Turkey
Emerg Med J 21:750-1. 2004..Lightning injury should not be overlooked in the aetiology and differential diagnosis of acute cerebellar ischaemic insult and relevant clinical findings in adults...
- [Intracranial haemorrhage secondary to a lightning strike: a case report]E Carrera-Izquierdo
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Santa Barbara, Complejo Hospitalario de Soria, Sacyl, Soria, Spain
Rev Neurol 39:530-2. 2004..The damage caused to the central nervous system by lightning can be immediate or delayed. Cerebrovascular accidents are usually an infrequent complication of lightning strikes...
- Skin burn, bilateral iridocyclitis and amnesia following a lightning injuryLone K Sommer
Department of Ophthalmology, Roskilde Hospital, Roskilde, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:596-8. 2004..To describe a case of lightning injury restricted to the eyes and facial skin...
- [Lightning injuries--a mixture of electrical, thermal and multiple trauma]Fredrik Huss
Dept of Plastic Surgery, Hand Surgery und Bums, BRIVA, Universitetssjukhuset, SE 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Lakartidningen 101:2328-31. 2004..Few health care providers have experience from lightning injuries as they are rare and different (DC) from the more common high-voltage (AC) injuries...
- Lightning injuries in a pregnant woman: a case report and review of the literatureJ J García Gutiérrez
Department of Plastic Surgery and Burns Unit, Hospital de Cruces, Plaza de Cruces s n, Baracaldo, Vizcaya, Spain
Burns 31:1045-9. 2005
- Pneumomediastinum caused by a lightning strikeAri Halldorsson
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
J Trauma 57:196-7. 2004
- Long-term sequelae of lightning strike in a child: a case report and reviewLinda S Nield
Department of Pediatrics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 43:563-7. 2004
- Injury from lightning strike while using mobile phoneSwinda Esprit
BMJ 332:1513. 2006
- Unusual complication in a child with lightning strike: cerebral salt wastingZerrin Orbak
Department of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism, Medical Faculty, Ataturk University, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Childs Nerv Syst 26:1125-7. 2010..However, there was no report related to cerebral salt wasting caused by lightning injury. We described a patient with lightning strike, who was subsequently diagnosed with cerebral salt wasting...
- Rehabilitation of burn injured patients following lightning and electrical traumaGennaro Selvaggi
Department of Plastic Surgery, Burn Center, University Hospital, Gent, Belgium
NeuroRehabilitation 20:35-42. 2005....
- ELECTRIC INJURY--IMAGING OF THERMAL/NON-THERMAL ASPECTSRaphael Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Biopolymer Surfactants for Sealing Electroporated MembranesRaphael Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we will conduct studies in parallel to determine if surfactant rescued cells manifest normal phenotype during proliferation or exhibit effects of mutations caused by unrepaired DMA. ..