- [Predicting growth patterns after supracondylar fracture of the humerus in childhood]
L M Wessel
Kinderchirurgische Universitätsklinik, Heidelberg Mannheim
Orthopade 32:824-32. 2003
..This study will investigate whether therapeutic progress at follow-up is better evaluated with radiological or clinical means...
- Lateral entry compared with medial and lateral entry pin fixation for completely displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children. A randomized clinical trial
Mininder S Kocher
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:706-12. 2007
- A prospective clinical study of proximal humerus fractures treated with a locking proximal humerus plate
Department of Orthopedics, Jiangyin People s Hospital, Medical School of Nantong University, No 163 Shoushan Road, Jiangyin City, Jiangsu Province, China
J Orthop Trauma 25:11-7. 2011
..The purpose of this prospective study was to evaluate the safety, efficacy, and functional outcome of the locked proximal humerus plate (LPHP) to treat proximal humerus fractures...
- Fractures of the shaft of the humerus. An epidemiological study of 401 fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1469-73. 2006
..Only 2% of the fractures were open and 8% were pathological. These figures are representative of a population with a low incidence of high-energy and penetrating trauma, which probably reflects the situation in most European countries...
- Radial nerve palsy associated with fractures of the shaft of the humerus: a systematic review
Y C Shao
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery School of Medicine, St James s University Hospital, Leeds, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:1647-52. 2005
..A treatment algorithm for the management of radial nerve palsy associated with fracture of the shaft of the humerus is recommended by the authors...
- Radial nerve injuries associated with humeral fractures
Michael J Defranco
Hand and Upper Extremity Service, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:655-63. 2006
..The principles of management and the clinical outcomes of various treatment strategies, defined in the literature, are reviewed in this article...
- Vascular complications of supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Orthopedic Surgery Department, The Hadassah Hebrew University Medical School, Hadassah University Hospital, Kiryat Hadassaah, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Pediatr Orthop B 16:133-43. 2007
The purpose of this study was to analyze the vascular complications of 24 children with supracondylar humeral fractures treated in two affiliated hospitals and to propose a management plan...
- Treatment of pink pulseless hand following supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children
A V Korompilias
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, 45110, Greece
Int Orthop 33:237-41. 2009
Although acute vascular injury is a common complication in children with severely displaced supracondylar humeral fractures, the management of patients with a pink pulseless hand still remains controversial...
- Perfused, pulseless, and puzzling: a systematic review of vascular injuries in pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures and results of a POSNA questionnaire
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:328-35. 2010
..purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic review of the literature and perform a Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) opinion poll regarding management of pulseless supracondylar humeral fractures in children.
- Pink pulseless hand following supra-condylar fractures: an audit of British practice
Trauma and Orthopaedics Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Pediatr Orthop B 15:62-4. 2006
..If the hand remains pulseless but well perfused after stabilization the preferred option would be to observe and rely on collateral circulation rather than treating it more aggressively...
- Ischaemia and the pink, pulseless hand complicating supracondylar fractures of the humerus in childhood: long-term follow-up
C M Blakey
Research and Education, South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre, Dorking Road, Epsom KT18 7EG, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1487-92. 2009
- Displaced pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures: biomechanical analysis of percutaneous pinning techniques
Steven S Lee
Children s Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California 92123, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 22:440-3. 2002
- Functional treatment of closed humeral shaft fractures
J A K Toivanen
Division of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Department of Surgery, Tampere University Hospital, PO Box 2000, 33521 Tampere, Finland
Int Orthop 29:10-3. 2005
..Logistic regression analysis revealed the only predictive factor in respect to successful brace treatment was fracture location. No significant difference was found in respect to healing between different AO-type fractures...
- Plating osteosynthesis of mid-distal humeral shaft fractures: minimally invasive versus conventional open reduction technique
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Int Orthop 34:131-5. 2010
- Microsurgical reconstruction of brachial artery injuries in displaced supracondylar fracture humerus in children
Hassan H Noaman
Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgical Unit, Orthopaedic Department, Sohag Faculty of Medicine, South Valley University, Sohag, Egypt
Microsurgery 26:498-505. 2006
Between March 2000 and March 2005, 840 children with grade III supracondylar humeral fractures presented for treatment, consecutively at our hospital...
- [Surgical treatment of proximal humeral fractures. Is the T-plate still adequate osteosynthesis procedure?]
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, II Chirurgischer Lehrstuhl, Universitat zu Koln
Zentralbl Chir 126:211-6. 2001
No general agreement exists on the operative therapy of displaced proximal humeral fractures. The purpose of this study is to evaluate different internal fixation techniques (plate fixation, figure-of-eight tension wiring, lagscrew) and ..
- A systematic review of medial and lateral entry pinning versus lateral entry pinning for supracondylar fractures of the humerus
Carmen Alisa Brauer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop 27:181-6. 2007
- Lateral-entry pin fixation in the management of supracondylar fractures in children
David L Skaggs
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Mailstop 69, 4650 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:702-7. 2004
There has been controversy regarding the optimal pin configuration in the management of supracondylar humeral fractures in children...
- Factors affecting rates of infection and nonunion in intramedullary nailing
M H A Malik
Royal Preston Hospital, Preston, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:556-60. 2004
..We have compared our findings with previously published data from large teaching hospital units...
- Nerve injuries associated with pediatric supracondylar humeral fractures: a meta-analysis
Jessica C Babal
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:253-63. 2010
- Periprosthetic fractures of the humerus
Edward B McDonough
Department of Orthopaedics, Wright State University, Miami Valley Hospital, 128 E Apple St, Room 2830, Dayton, OH 45409, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:586-91. 2005
Periprosthetic humeral fractures present a treatment challenge for the orthopedic surgeon. The overall incidence of fracture is between 0...
- Treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures among children: crossed versus lateral pinning
Mohammed M Zamzam
Department of Orthopaedics, King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, PO Box 7805, Riyadh 11472, Saudi Arabia
Injury 40:625-30. 2009
..study evaluated different pinning configurations used in the treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures among children, mainly regarding maintenance of fracture reduction and avoidance of complications...
- Minimally invasive plating osteosynthesis (MIPO) of middle and distal third humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Affiliated No 6th People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, PR China
J Orthop Trauma 21:628-33. 2007
..To evaluate the clinical, radiographic, and functional outcomes of middle and distal third humeral shaft fractures treated with the minimally invasive percutaneous osteosynthesis (MIPO)...
- Extra-articular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A comparison of functional bracing and plate fixation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey Center, Suite 2100, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2343-7. 2006
..There are strong advocates for both operative and nonoperative treatment of distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus, but there are few comparative data. We performed a retrospective comparison of these two treatment methods...
- Shoulder impairment following treatment of diaphysial fractures of humerus by functional brace
Orthopaedics A Department, Rambam Medical Center and The Ruth and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, POB 9602, Haifa 31096, Israel
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:437-40. 2006
- Periprosthetic humeral fractures after total elbow arthroplasty: treatment with implant revision and strut allograft augmentation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1642-50. 2002
..The purpose of the present study was to determine the results of implant revision and strut allograft augmentation for the treatment of humeral periprosthetic fractures that occur around a loose humeral component...
- Outcome after closed functional treatment of humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Karolinska Institutet at Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Trauma 20:591-6. 2006
..The aim of this study was to investigate the outcome after an isolated humeral shaft fracture treated primarily nonoperatively with a fracture brace...
- Inter- and intra-observer reliability of the Baumann angle of the humerus in children with supracondylar humeral fractures
Los Angeles Orthopaedic Medical Center, 2400 S Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
Int Orthop 34:553-7. 2010
..repeatable and reliable measurement that can be used for the determination of the outcome of supracondylar humeral fractures in the paediatric population. An excellent IEOR was found for the measurement of the Baumann angle (r = 0...
- Humeral windows in revision shoulder arthroplasty
John W Sperling
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:258-63. 2005
..The data from this study suggest that humeral windows may facilitate controlled removal of well-fixed humeral components with a high rate of union. Further evolution of this technique may result in a lower fracture rate...
- Prognostic factors for unstable proximal humeral fractures treated with locking-plate fixation
Churl Woo Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 18:83-8. 2009
This study evaluated the functional outcomes of proximal humeral fractures treated with locking plates and determined the prognostic factors for successful clinical outcomes...
- The pink pulseless hand: a review of the literature regarding management of vascular complications of supracondylar humeral fractures in children
K J Griffin
Cambridge Vascular Unit, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Cambridge, UK
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 36:697-702. 2008
..A child with a pink pulseless hand post-fracture reduction can be managed expectantly unless additional signs of vascular compromise develop, in which case exploration should be undertaken...
- One-third, two-thirds: relationship of the radial nerve to the lateral intermuscular septum in the arm
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Merlin Park Regional Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Clin Anat 17:26-9. 2004
..This has not previously been described, and we believe is a useful aide-de-memoir to predicting the level at which the radial nerve penetrates the lateral intermuscular septum...
- Translation between the Neer- and the AO/OTA-classification for proximal humeral fractures: do we need to be bilingual to interpret the scientific literature?
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Herlev University Hospital, Herlev, Denmark
BMC Res Notes 6:69. 2013
The reporting and interpretation of data from clinical trials of proximal humeral fractures are hampered by the use of two partly incommensurable fracture classification systems: the Neer classification and the AO/OTA classification...
- Bridging plate osteosynthesis of humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, P O Box 6111, 13070 170 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Injury 35:587-95. 2004
..We had no major complications. All patients recovered good function of the limb without significant residual deformity...
- Percutaneous fixation of comminuted fractures of the humerus: initial experience at Al Razi hospital, Kuwait
Department of Orthopedics, Al Razi Hospital, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 15:423-6. 2006
..To present initial experience of 12 cases of percutaneous plating of the comminuted fractures of the humerus using minimal access surgery and standard low-contact dynamic compression plate...
- Minimally displaced proximal humeral fractures: epidemiology and outcome in 507 cases
Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland
Acta Orthop Scand 74:580-5. 2003
We analyzed 507 consecutive minimally displaced proximal humeral fractures and showed that, if the AO classification is used, there is variation in the incidence of minimally displaced fractures in the different AO sub-groups...
- Clinical and radiographic results of lateral condylar fracture of distal humerus in children
Kyoung Hwan Koh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Kangnam Ku, Seoul, Korea
J Pediatr Orthop 30:425-9. 2010
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical and functional results, including complications, of lateral condylar fracture treatments in children, and to identify differences between treatment methods...
- Bone morphogenetic protein-2 compared to autologous iliac crest bone graft in the treatment of long bone nonunion
Marc A Tressler
Premier Orthopaedics, Hendersonville, USA
Orthopedics 34:e877-84. 2011
- Changing practice patterns: the impact of a randomized clinical trial on surgeons preference for treatment of type 3 supracondylar humerus fractures
Susan T Mahan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:340-5. 2012
..But have surgeons actually changed their practice as a result of these recent data? The purpose of this study was to compare pin configuration, loss of reduction and rate of nerve injuries before and after the RCT...
- Plate osteosynthesis of the humerus shaft fracture an its association with radial nerve injury--a retrospective study in Melaka General Hospital
K E Lim
The Southern Hospital (Batu Pahat) Sdn Bhd, Batu Pahat, Johor
Med J Malaysia 56:8-12. 2001
..The recovery from post-traumatic wrist drop was 83%. The average duration taken for recovery was 11.8 weeks. The incidence of post-operative wrist drop was high at 17.6% but all recovered during follow-up...
- Treatment of displaced pediatric supracondylar humerus fracture patterns requiring medial fixation: a reliable and safer cross-pinning technique
Eric W Edmonds
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rady Children s Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:346-51. 2012
..As medial fixation may be necessary for certain fracture patterns, this study was conducted to evaluate the risk of ulnar neuropathy using a technique here described and developed to minimize injury to this structure...
- Biomechanical analysis of pin placement for pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures: does starting point, pin size, and number matter?
Hilton Phillip Gottschalk
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Rady Children s Hospital San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:445-51. 2012
..An analysis of varying pin size, number, and lateral starting points has not been performed previously...
- Postoperative pain control after supracondylar humerus fracture fixation
Christopher E Swanson
St Christopher s Hospital For Children, Philadelphia, PA 19134, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:452-5. 2012
- The treatment of displaced supracondylar humerus fractures: evidence-based guideline
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, British Columbia Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop 32:S143-52. 2012
- Fixation of fractures of the shaft of the humerus by dynamic compression plate or intramedullary nail. A prospective, randomised trial
R G McCormack
Department of Orthopaedics, Royal Columbian Hospital, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Br 82:336-9. 2000
..Fixation by IMN may be indicated for specific situations, but is technically more demanding and has a higher rate of complications...
- Increased severity of type III supracondylar humerus fractures in the preteen population
Nicholas D Fletcher
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:567-72. 2012
..We hypothesized that there would be more complications in older children, reflecting a higher-energy injury mechanism...
- Type II supracondylar humerus fractures: can some be treated nonoperatively?
Hillard T Spencer
UCLA Orthopaedic Hospital Department of Orthopaedics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 32:675-81. 2012
..However, the clinical difficulty in using this approach lies in determining which type II SCHFs can be managed successfully without a surgical intervention...
- Expandable intramedullary nails for humeral fractures: a systematic review of clinical and radiological outcomes
David M Rose
St George s Hospital, Blackshaw Road, Tooting, London, SW17 0QT, UK
Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol 23:1-11. 2013
..Overall, 7.8% of humeral fractures treated with an expandable nail went on to non-union...
- Similar outcomes for nail versus plate fixation of three-part proximal humeral fractures
Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, KKH Erding, Bajuwarenstr 5, 85435 Erding, Germany
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:602-9. 2012
There is a lack of consensus regarding optimal surgical management of displaced and unstable three-part proximal humeral fractures.
- Operative fixation of medial humeral epicondyle fracture nonunion in children
Jeremy T Smith
Department of Orthopaedics, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:644-8. 2010
..The purpose of this investigation was to describe the presenting symptoms and evaluate the results of surgical fixation of medial epicondyle nonunions...
- Outcomes of reduction more than 7 days after injury in supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, 2400 S Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 31:751-6. 2011
..Although closed reduction and percutaneous pinning are desirable for displaced supracondylar humeral fractures treated acutely, there is little or no available information regarding the surgeon's ability to obtain a ..
- Time of return of elbow motion after percutaneous pinning of pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures
Lewis E Zionts
UCLA Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:2007-10. 2009
..Further improvement may occur up to 1 year postoperatively. This information may be helpful in advising parents what to expect after their child's injury...
- Broken arm wrestler
Orthopaedic SpR, Perivale, Middlesex, UK
Br J Sports Med 34:461-2. 2000
..An unusual injury following an arm wrestle is presented, that of a fractured humerus...
- Trochlear deformity occurring after distal humeral fractures: magnetic resonance imaging and its natural progression
Hui Taek Kim
From the Pediatric Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pusan National University Hospital, Pusan, Korea
J Pediatr Orthop 22:188-93. 2002
Eighteen children (mean age 50.7 months) with trochlear deformities occurring after and related to distal humeral fractures (12 Salter-Harris type 2, 5 supracondylar, 1 Salter-Harris type 4) were evaluated with serial radiographs...
- Three lateral divergent or parallel pin fixations for the treatment of displaced supracondylar humerus fractures in children
Young Ho Lee
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Pediatr Orthop 28:417-22. 2008
..To evaluate the efficacy of lateral or parallel pin fixation using 3 smooth Kirschner wires (K-wires) or smooth Steinmann pins for the operative management of displaced supracondylar humeral fracture in a consecutive series of children...
- The effectiveness of physiotherapy after operative treatment of supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Department of Traumatology, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulm, Steinhoevelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm, Germany
J Pediatr Orthop 25:314-6. 2005
The indications for physiotherapy after supracondylar humeral fractures in children are not clear in the literature, even in the presence of an active or passive limitation of elbow joint motion...
- Comparison of percutaneous pinning with casting in supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Mohammad Shoaib Khan
Department of Orthopaedics, Ayub Teaching Hospital, Abbottabad
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:33-6. 2005
..This study was conducted to know the outcome of Percutaneous Pinning in the management of displaced supracondylar humeral fracture in children and to compare the results with close reduction and castings and published literature...
- The 'pulseless pink' hand after supracondylar fracture of the humerus in children: the predictive value of nerve palsy
K S Mangat
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1521-5. 2009
- The results of functional (Sarmiento) bracing of humeral shaft fractures
Peter P Koch
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:143-50. 2002
..The conservative treatment of humeral shaft fractures with the Sarmiento brace remains the treatment of choice, in spite of newer intramedullary operations that are allegedly minimally invasive and technically less complicated...
- Casting: U-slabs
School of Health, University of Wolverhampton
Emerg Nurse 17:20-2. 2009
..This article continues a short series of articles on how to apply casts. It examines how U-slabs should be applied following fracture of the shaft of the humerus...
- Management of acute 'pink pulseless' hand in pediatric supracondylar fractures of the humerus
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ganga Hospital, 313 Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
J Pediatr Orthop B 20:124-8. 2011
..Surgical exploration should be recommended only if there is either severe pain in the forearm persisting for more than 12 h after the injury or if there are signs of a deteriorating neurological function...
- Functional bracing of humeral shaft fractures. A review of clinical studies
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Injury 41:e21-27. 2010
..Nevertheless, in the few studies that subjective parameters such as functional scores, pain and quality of life were assessed results were not so promising...
- A systematic review of early versus delayed treatment for type III supracondylar humeral fractures in children
C L Loizou
Department of Orthopaedics, Peterborough District Hospital, Peterborough, UK
Injury 40:245-8. 2009
We performed a systematic review of early versus delayed treatment for type III Gartland supracondylar humeral fractures in children. We identified five non-randomised retrospective studies that fulfilled our criteria...
- Comparison of complications and results of early versus delayed surgery for Gartland type III supracondylar humeral fractures in pediatric patients
Qing lin Han
Department of Orthopaedics, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong, China
Orthop Surg 3:242-6. 2011
To investigate the effect of timing of surgery on clinical results and perioperative complications in pediatric patients with Gartland III type supracondylar humeral fractures without neurovascular compromise.
- Supracondylar humeral fractures in children: ten years' experience in a teaching hospital
Colchester General Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester CO4 5JL, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:362-5. 2006
..Only 22 (4%) patients had a long-term deformity, nine (3%) from malreduction and three (1%) because of growth arrest, but corrective surgery for functional limitation was required in only three (1%) patients...
- Intraoperative stability testing of lateral-entry pin fixation of pediatric supracondylar humeral fractures
Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia
J Pediatr Orthop 27:695-702. 2007
..quantify the incidence of rotational instability after lateral-entry wire fixation in type-3 supracondylar humeral fractures in children according to Wilkins modification of Gartland classification. (Fractures in Children. Vol 3...
- Treatment of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus using a functional brace
Massachusetts General Hospital, Orthopaedic Hand and Upper Extremity Unit, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Orthop Trauma 20:597-601. 2006
..To determine humeral diaphyseal fractures at risk for nonunion with functional brace treatment...
- Percutaneous pinning of pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures with the semisterile technique: the Miami experience
Christopher A Iobst
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155 3009, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 27:17-22. 2007
..This indicates that observation overnight in the hospital may not be necessary for every patient...
- Loss of pin fixation in displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children: causes and prevention
Wudbhav N Sankar
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Wood Building, 2nd Floor, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:713-7. 2007
Although the results are generally good following pin fixation of supracondylar humeral fractures in children, occasionally there is postoperative displacement...
- How displaced are "nondisplaced" fractures of the medial humeral epicondyle in children? Results of a three-dimensional computed tomography analysis
Eric W Edmonds
Rady Children s Hospital and Health Center, 3030 Children s Way, Suite 410, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:2785-91. 2010
..This study compares the use of radiographs and three-dimensional computed tomography for determining the amount of displacement in medial humeral epicondylar injuries deemed to be minimally displaced (<5 mm) or nondisplaced...
- Adult distal humeral metaphyseal fractures: epidemiology and results of treatment
C Michael Robinson
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma, The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland, UK
J Orthop Trauma 17:38-47. 2003
..To examine the epidemiology and results of treatment of fractures of the distal humeral metaphysis...
- Crossed-pin versus lateral-pin fixation in pediatric supracondylar fractures
S A Shamsuddin
Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Hospital University Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Tenteram, 56000 Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
Med J Malaysia 56:38-44. 2001
- Minimally invasive plating for complex humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan Road, Shanghai 200233, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:531-5. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical and radiographic outcomes of treating complex humeral shaft fractures by using locking compression plate with minimally invasive technique...
- Displaced medial epicondyle fractures of the humerus: surgical treatment and results. A report of 139 cases
Djamel M Louahem
Orthopaedic Pediatric Surgery Department, Lapeyronie Hospital, Montpellier, France
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:649-55. 2010
..The purpose of this retrospective study was to analyze and to assess objectively the results of the surgical treatment of these acute injuries...
- Management of non-union of humeral fractures with the Stryker T2 compression nail
Trauma and Orthopaedics, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:79-84. 2011
..Despite the many surgical techniques described for the management of non-unions, including plate fixation, intramedullary nailing or external fixation, some cases remain resistant to treatment with ongoing problems achieving union...
- [Osteosynthesis with Kirschner wires in the treatment of dislocated supracondylar humeral fractures in children]
Klinika za decju hirurgiju, Institut za zdravstvenu zastitu dece i omladine, Novi Sad
Med Pregl 56:355-61. 2003
..Treatment included orthopedic repositioning and percutaneous pin fixation...
- Closed reduction and external fixation for displaced proximal humeral fractures
Central Institute of Orthopaedics, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 17:142-5. 2009
To assess results of closed reduction and external fixation for displaced proximal humeral fractures.
- Supracondylar fractures with circulatory failure after reduction, pinning, and entrapment of the brachial artery: excellent results more than 1 year after open exploration and revascularization
Hand and Microsurgery Section, Orthopedic Department, Rikshospitalet, Songsvannsveien 20, Oslo, Norway
J Orthop Trauma 25:26-30. 2011
Neurovascular injuries in children with dislocated supracondylar humeral fractures are not uncommon. Closed reduction and pin fixation usually will restore the circulation...
- Periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:680-9. 2004
Currently, there is little information concerning periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty...
- Functional outcome following surgical treatment of intra-articular distal humeral fractures through a posterior approach
M D McKee
Upper Extremity Reconstructive Service, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 82:1701-7. 2000
While surgical repair is considered the standard of care of displaced intra-articular distal humeral fractures, most investigators have assessed its results with use of surgeon-based and/or radiograph-based outcome measures...
- The discriminative ability of peripheral and axial bone measurements to identify proximal femoral, vertebral, distal forearm and proximal humeral fractures: a case control study
Jackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU, UK
Osteoporos Int 16:1794-802. 2005
..The ability of different bone measurements to discriminate between fracture cases and controls is device- and site-specific, with additional information obtained by combining measurement sites and technologies...
- [Descending intramedullary nailing for the treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children]
Annelie M Weinberg
Universitätsklinik für Kinderchirurgie der Universität Graz, Graz, Austria
Chirurg 74:432-6. 2003
Supracondylar humeral fractures are the most common lesions in childhood. Severely displaced fractures are commonly treated by crossed K-wire osteosynthesis...
- Complex distal humeral fractures: internal fixation with a principle-based parallel-plate technique. Surgical technique
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Medical Sciences Building 3 69, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:31-46. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to determine the outcome of treating these fractures with a principle-based technique that maximizes fixation in the articular fragments and stability at the supracondylar level...
- The locking compression plate in periprosthetic humeral fractures A review of two cases
M E Kent
Upper Limb Unit, Orthopaedics Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Injury 36:1241-5. 2005
- The triceps-reflecting anconeus pedicle (TRAP) approach for distal humeral fractures and nonunions
S W O'Driscoll
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Orthop Clin North Am 31:91-101. 2000
Adequate exposure is a prerequisite for treatment of distal humeral fractures, as with most surgical procedures...
- Supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Childrens Orthopaedic Center, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, 4650 Sunset Boulevard, MS 69, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1121-32. 2008
Operative fixation is indicated for most type-II and III supracondylar humeral fractures in order to prevent malunion...
- Treatment of fractures adjacent to humeral prostheses
Gordon I Groh
Blue Ridge Bone and Joint Clinic, Asheville, NC, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:85-9. 2008
..Average forward elevation for the group was 124 degrees . No patient required a shoulder spica or bone grafting to obtain union. Treatment resulted in fracture union, prosthesis stability, and a paucity of complications...
- Proximal humeral internal locking system (PHILOS) for the treatment of proximal humeral fractures
C P Charalambous
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Burnley General Hospital, Burnley, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:205-10. 2007
The aim of this study was to describe early results of a new internal locking system, PHILOS, used for the treatment of proximal humeral fractures.
- Low incidence of ulnar nerve injury with crossed pin placement for pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures using a mini-open technique
Daniel W Green
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:158-63. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine the risk of iatrogenic ulnar nerve injury in a consecutive series of supracondylar fractures treated using a standardized technique of crossed pin placement...
- Long-term results of treatment of fractures of the medial humeral epicondyle in children
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1299-305. 2001
..The purpose of this long-term retrospective study was to analyze the functional and radiographic results of both nonsurgical and surgical management of these injuries...
- Epidemiological features of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in Chinese children
J C Cheng
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Pediatr Orthop B 10:63-7. 2001
..In conclusion, many Chinese patients attend hospital later than their Western counterparts, and the rate of flexion-type injuries is low...
- Distal humeral fractures treated with noncustom total elbow replacement
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:940-7. 2004
..We hypothesized that, on the basis of the functional and clinical outcome, total elbow replacement is a reliable option for the treatment of elderly patients with a severe, comminuted fracture of the distal part of the humerus...
- "Dorgan's" percutaneous lateral cross-wiring of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children
Fintan J Shannon
Limerick Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland
J Pediatr Orthop 24:376-9. 2004
The preferred treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children is closed reduction and percutaneous pinning. Cross-wiring techniques are biomechanically superior to parallel lateral wiring techniques...
- Randomized prospective study of humeral shaft fracture fixation: intramedullary nails versus plates
J R Chapman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle 98104, USA
J Orthop Trauma 14:162-6. 2000
..To compare the clinical and radiographic results for locked intramedullary (IM) nails and plates used in the treatment of humeral diaphyseal fractures...
- A new prosthetic design for proximal humeral fractures: reconstructing the glenohumeral unit
Lieven F De Wilde
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:373-80. 2004
A new shoulder prosthesis design for proximal humeral fractures has been developed...
- Treatment of humeral diaphyseal nonunions by interlocked nailing and autologous bone grafting
C C Kesemenli
Department of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery, University of Dicle Medical School, Diyarbakir, Turkey
Acta Orthop Belg 68:471-5. 2002
..We think that its low rate of infection, low risk of injury to the radial nerve, and low requirement for soft tissue dissection make it a suitable choice in the treatment of nonunions of the humeral diaphysis...
- Effect of surgical delay on perioperative complications and need for open reduction in supracondylar humerus fractures in children
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 24:245-8. 2004
- Articular fractures of the distal part of the humerus
Hand Surgery Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:232-8. 2003
..The purpose of this retrospective study was to identify the patterns of distal humeral articular fractures and to analyze the results of open reduction and internal fixation of these injuries...
- A biomechanical evaluation of methods of distal humerus fracture fixation using locking compression plates versus conventional reconstruction plates
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Orthop Trauma 18:286-93. 2004
..To examine the biomechanical behavior of 2 techniques of double-plate osteosynthesis for fractures of the adult distal humerus using conventional reconstruction plates and locking compression plates...
- Biomechanical evaluation of the value of osteosynthesis in supracondylar fracture of the humerus using Kirschner pins in children
Department of Traumatology, Children s Hospital Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:410-5. 2002
..The experiments were carried out at the Laboratory of Biomechanics in the Institute of Anatomy of the Medical Faculty of Zagreb...
- Comparison of the use of the humerus intramedullary nail and dynamic compression plate for the management of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A randomised controlled study
King George Medical University, Lucknow, India
Int Orthop 31:391-5. 2007
..However, there appears to be no difference between the two groups in terms of the rate of union and functional outcome...