- [Predicting growth patterns after supracondylar fracture of the humerus in childhood]
L M Wessel
Kinderchirurgische Universitätsklinik, Heidelberg Mannheim
Orthopade 32:824-32. 2003
..This study will investigate whether therapeutic progress at follow-up is better evaluated with radiological or clinical means...
- Lateral entry compared with medial and lateral entry pin fixation for completely displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children. A randomized clinical trial
Mininder S Kocher
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital Boston, Harvard Medical School, 300 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:706-12. 2007
- A prospective clinical study of proximal humerus fractures treated with a locking proximal humerus plate
Department of Orthopedics, Jiangyin People s Hospital, Medical School of Nantong University, No 163 Shoushan Road, Jiangyin City, Jiangsu Province, China
J Orthop Trauma 25:11-7. 2011
..The purpose of this prospective study was to evaluate the safety, efficacy, and functional outcome of the locked proximal humerus plate (LPHP) to treat proximal humerus fractures...
- Functional treatment of closed humeral shaft fractures
J A K Toivanen
Division of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Department of Surgery, Tampere University Hospital, PO Box 2000, 33521 Tampere, Finland
Int Orthop 29:10-3. 2005
..Logistic regression analysis revealed the only predictive factor in respect to successful brace treatment was fracture location. No significant difference was found in respect to healing between different AO-type fractures...
- Displaced pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures: biomechanical analysis of percutaneous pinning techniques
Steven S Lee
Children s Hospital and Health Center, San Diego, California 92123, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 22:440-3. 2002
- Fractures of the shaft of the humerus. An epidemiological study of 401 fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1469-73. 2006
..Only 2% of the fractures were open and 8% were pathological. These figures are representative of a population with a low incidence of high-energy and penetrating trauma, which probably reflects the situation in most European countries...
- Bridging plate osteosynthesis of humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, State University of Campinas UNICAMP, P O Box 6111, 13070 170 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Injury 35:587-95. 2004
..We had no major complications. All patients recovered good function of the limb without significant residual deformity...
- Low incidence of ulnar nerve injury with crossed pin placement for pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures using a mini-open technique
Daniel W Green
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:158-63. 2005
..The purpose of this study was to determine the risk of iatrogenic ulnar nerve injury in a consecutive series of supracondylar fractures treated using a standardized technique of crossed pin placement...
- Microsurgical reconstruction of brachial artery injuries in displaced supracondylar fracture humerus in children
Hassan H Noaman
Hand and Reconstructive Microsurgical Unit, Orthopaedic Department, Sohag Faculty of Medicine, South Valley University, Sohag, Egypt
Microsurgery 26:498-505. 2006
Between March 2000 and March 2005, 840 children with grade III supracondylar humeral fractures presented for treatment, consecutively at our hospital...
- Prognostic factors for unstable proximal humeral fractures treated with locking-plate fixation
Churl Woo Lee
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 18:83-8. 2009
This study evaluated the functional outcomes of proximal humeral fractures treated with locking plates and determined the prognostic factors for successful clinical outcomes...
- Plating osteosynthesis of mid-distal humeral shaft fractures: minimally invasive versus conventional open reduction technique
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Int Orthop 34:131-5. 2010
- [Surgical treatment of proximal humeral fractures. Is the T-plate still adequate osteosynthesis procedure?]
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, II Chirurgischer Lehrstuhl, Universitat zu Koln
Zentralbl Chir 126:211-6. 2001
No general agreement exists on the operative therapy of displaced proximal humeral fractures. The purpose of this study is to evaluate different internal fixation techniques (plate fixation, figure-of-eight tension wiring, lagscrew) and ..
- A systematic review of medial and lateral entry pinning versus lateral entry pinning for supracondylar fractures of the humerus
Carmen Alisa Brauer
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, British Columbia s Children s Hospital, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop 27:181-6. 2007
- Lateral-entry pin fixation in the management of supracondylar fractures in children
David L Skaggs
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Mailstop 69, 4650 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:702-7. 2004
There has been controversy regarding the optimal pin configuration in the management of supracondylar humeral fractures in children...
- Treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures among children: crossed versus lateral pinning
Mohammed M Zamzam
Department of Orthopaedics, King Khalid University Hospital, King Saud University, PO Box 7805, Riyadh 11472, Saudi Arabia
Injury 40:625-30. 2009
..study evaluated different pinning configurations used in the treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures among children, mainly regarding maintenance of fracture reduction and avoidance of complications...
- Minimally invasive plating osteosynthesis (MIPO) of middle and distal third humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Affiliated No 6th People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, PR China
J Orthop Trauma 21:628-33. 2007
..To evaluate the clinical, radiographic, and functional outcomes of middle and distal third humeral shaft fractures treated with the minimally invasive percutaneous osteosynthesis (MIPO)...
- Extra-articular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A comparison of functional bracing and plate fixation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Yawkey Center, Suite 2100, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:2343-7. 2006
..There are strong advocates for both operative and nonoperative treatment of distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus, but there are few comparative data. We performed a retrospective comparison of these two treatment methods...
- Nerve injuries associated with pediatric supracondylar humeral fractures: a meta-analysis
Jessica C Babal
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:253-63. 2010
- Periprosthetic humeral fractures after total elbow arthroplasty: treatment with implant revision and strut allograft augmentation
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1642-50. 2002
..The purpose of the present study was to determine the results of implant revision and strut allograft augmentation for the treatment of humeral periprosthetic fractures that occur around a loose humeral component...
- Shoulder impairment following treatment of diaphysial fractures of humerus by functional brace
Orthopaedics A Department, Rambam Medical Center and The Ruth and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, POB 9602, Haifa 31096, Israel
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:437-40. 2006
- Outcome after closed functional treatment of humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopedics, Karolinska Institutet at Stockholm Soder Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Orthop Trauma 20:591-6. 2006
..The aim of this study was to investigate the outcome after an isolated humeral shaft fracture treated primarily nonoperatively with a fracture brace...
- Periprosthetic fractures of the humerus
Edward B McDonough
Department of Orthopaedics, Wright State University, Miami Valley Hospital, 128 E Apple St, Room 2830, Dayton, OH 45409, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 34:586-91. 2005
Periprosthetic humeral fractures present a treatment challenge for the orthopedic surgeon. The overall incidence of fracture is between 0...
- Proximal humeral internal locking system (PHILOS) for the treatment of proximal humeral fractures
C P Charalambous
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Burnley General Hospital, Burnley, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:205-10. 2007
The aim of this study was to describe early results of a new internal locking system, PHILOS, used for the treatment of proximal humeral fractures.
- Time of return of elbow motion after percutaneous pinning of pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures
Lewis E Zionts
UCLA Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:2007-10. 2009
..Further improvement may occur up to 1 year postoperatively. This information may be helpful in advising parents what to expect after their child's injury...
- Operative fixation of medial humeral epicondyle fracture nonunion in children
Jeremy T Smith
Department of Orthopaedics, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:644-8. 2010
..The purpose of this investigation was to describe the presenting symptoms and evaluate the results of surgical fixation of medial epicondyle nonunions...
- Three lateral divergent or parallel pin fixations for the treatment of displaced supracondylar humerus fractures in children
Young Ho Lee
Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Pediatr Orthop 28:417-22. 2008
..To evaluate the efficacy of lateral or parallel pin fixation using 3 smooth Kirschner wires (K-wires) or smooth Steinmann pins for the operative management of displaced supracondylar humeral fracture in a consecutive series of children...
- Perfused, pulseless, and puzzling: a systematic review of vascular injuries in pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures and results of a POSNA questionnaire
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Cincinnati Children s Medical Center, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 30:328-35. 2010
..purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic review of the literature and perform a Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America (POSNA) opinion poll regarding management of pulseless supracondylar humeral fractures in children.
- Trochlear deformity occurring after distal humeral fractures: magnetic resonance imaging and its natural progression
Hui Taek Kim
From the Pediatric Orthopaedic Unit, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Pusan National University Hospital, Pusan, Korea
J Pediatr Orthop 22:188-93. 2002
Eighteen children (mean age 50.7 months) with trochlear deformities occurring after and related to distal humeral fractures (12 Salter-Harris type 2, 5 supracondylar, 1 Salter-Harris type 4) were evaluated with serial radiographs...
- Similar outcomes for nail versus plate fixation of three-part proximal humeral fractures
Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, KKH Erding, Bajuwarenstr 5, 85435 Erding, Germany
Clin Orthop Relat Res 470:602-9. 2012
There is a lack of consensus regarding optimal surgical management of displaced and unstable three-part proximal humeral fractures.
- Outcomes of reduction more than 7 days after injury in supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital, 2400 S Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 31:751-6. 2011
..Although closed reduction and percutaneous pinning are desirable for displaced supracondylar humeral fractures treated acutely, there is little or no available information regarding the surgeon's ability to obtain a ..
- Broken arm wrestler
Orthopaedic SpR, Perivale, Middlesex, UK
Br J Sports Med 34:461-2. 2000
..An unusual injury following an arm wrestle is presented, that of a fractured humerus...
- The 'pulseless pink' hand after supracondylar fracture of the humerus in children: the predictive value of nerve palsy
K S Mangat
Birmingham Children s Hospital, Steelhouse Lane, Birmingham B4 6NH, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1521-5. 2009
- Casting: U-slabs
School of Health, University of Wolverhampton
Emerg Nurse 17:20-2. 2009
..This article continues a short series of articles on how to apply casts. It examines how U-slabs should be applied following fracture of the shaft of the humerus...
- Comparison of percutaneous pinning with casting in supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Mohammad Shoaib Khan
Department of Orthopaedics, Ayub Teaching Hospital, Abbottabad
J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17:33-6. 2005
..This study was conducted to know the outcome of Percutaneous Pinning in the management of displaced supracondylar humeral fracture in children and to compare the results with close reduction and castings and published literature...
- The effectiveness of physiotherapy after operative treatment of supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Department of Traumatology, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Ulm, Steinhoevelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm, Germany
J Pediatr Orthop 25:314-6. 2005
The indications for physiotherapy after supracondylar humeral fractures in children are not clear in the literature, even in the presence of an active or passive limitation of elbow joint motion...
- The results of functional (Sarmiento) bracing of humeral shaft fractures
Peter P Koch
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:143-50. 2002
..The conservative treatment of humeral shaft fractures with the Sarmiento brace remains the treatment of choice, in spite of newer intramedullary operations that are allegedly minimally invasive and technically less complicated...
- Supracondylar humeral fractures in children: ten years' experience in a teaching hospital
Colchester General Hospital, Turner Road, Colchester CO4 5JL, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:362-5. 2006
..Only 22 (4%) patients had a long-term deformity, nine (3%) from malreduction and three (1%) because of growth arrest, but corrective surgery for functional limitation was required in only three (1%) patients...
- Ischaemia and the pink, pulseless hand complicating supracondylar fractures of the humerus in childhood: long-term follow-up
C M Blakey
Research and Education, South West London Elective Orthopaedic Centre, Dorking Road, Epsom KT18 7EG, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1487-92. 2009
- Treatment of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus using a functional brace
Massachusetts General Hospital, Orthopaedic Hand and Upper Extremity Unit, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Orthop Trauma 20:597-601. 2006
..To determine humeral diaphyseal fractures at risk for nonunion with functional brace treatment...
- Adult distal humeral metaphyseal fractures: epidemiology and results of treatment
C Michael Robinson
Department of Orthopaedic Trauma, The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9YW, Scotland, UK
J Orthop Trauma 17:38-47. 2003
..To examine the epidemiology and results of treatment of fractures of the distal humeral metaphysis...
- Displaced medial epicondyle fractures of the humerus: surgical treatment and results. A report of 139 cases
Djamel M Louahem
Orthopaedic Pediatric Surgery Department, Lapeyronie Hospital, Montpellier, France
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 130:649-55. 2010
..The purpose of this retrospective study was to analyze and to assess objectively the results of the surgical treatment of these acute injuries...
- Percutaneous pinning of pediatric supracondylar humerus fractures with the semisterile technique: the Miami experience
Christopher A Iobst
Miami Children s Hospital, Miami, FL 33155 3009, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 27:17-22. 2007
..This indicates that observation overnight in the hospital may not be necessary for every patient...
- Vascular complications of supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Orthopedic Surgery Department, The Hadassah Hebrew University Medical School, Hadassah University Hospital, Kiryat Hadassaah, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Pediatr Orthop B 16:133-43. 2007
The purpose of this study was to analyze the vascular complications of 24 children with supracondylar humeral fractures treated in two affiliated hospitals and to propose a management plan...
- Functional bracing of humeral shaft fractures. A review of clinical studies
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, University General Hospital of Alexandroupolis, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Injury 41:e21-27. 2010
..Nevertheless, in the few studies that subjective parameters such as functional scores, pain and quality of life were assessed results were not so promising...
- Crossed-pin versus lateral-pin fixation in pediatric supracondylar fractures
S A Shamsuddin
Department of Orthopedics, Faculty of Medicine, Hospital University Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Tenteram, 56000 Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
Med J Malaysia 56:38-44. 2001
- Management of acute 'pink pulseless' hand in pediatric supracondylar fractures of the humerus
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Ganga Hospital, 313 Mettupalayam Road, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
J Pediatr Orthop B 20:124-8. 2011
..Surgical exploration should be recommended only if there is either severe pain in the forearm persisting for more than 12 h after the injury or if there are signs of a deteriorating neurological function...
- Intraoperative stability testing of lateral-entry pin fixation of pediatric supracondylar humeral fractures
Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, Australia
J Pediatr Orthop 27:695-702. 2007
..quantify the incidence of rotational instability after lateral-entry wire fixation in type-3 supracondylar humeral fractures in children according to Wilkins modification of Gartland classification. (Fractures in Children. Vol 3...
- A systematic review of early versus delayed treatment for type III supracondylar humeral fractures in children
C L Loizou
Department of Orthopaedics, Peterborough District Hospital, Peterborough, UK
Injury 40:245-8. 2009
We performed a systematic review of early versus delayed treatment for type III Gartland supracondylar humeral fractures in children. We identified five non-randomised retrospective studies that fulfilled our criteria...
- Comparison of complications and results of early versus delayed surgery for Gartland type III supracondylar humeral fractures in pediatric patients
Qing lin Han
Department of Orthopaedics, Affiliated Hospital of Nantong University, Nantong, China
Orthop Surg 3:242-6. 2011
To investigate the effect of timing of surgery on clinical results and perioperative complications in pediatric patients with Gartland III type supracondylar humeral fractures without neurovascular compromise.
- Treatment of pink pulseless hand following supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children
A V Korompilias
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, 45110, Greece
Int Orthop 33:237-41. 2009
Although acute vascular injury is a common complication in children with severely displaced supracondylar humeral fractures, the management of patients with a pink pulseless hand still remains controversial...
- How displaced are "nondisplaced" fractures of the medial humeral epicondyle in children? Results of a three-dimensional computed tomography analysis
Eric W Edmonds
Rady Children s Hospital and Health Center, 3030 Children s Way, Suite 410, San Diego, CA 92123, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 92:2785-91. 2010
..This study compares the use of radiographs and three-dimensional computed tomography for determining the amount of displacement in medial humeral epicondylar injuries deemed to be minimally displaced (<5 mm) or nondisplaced...
- Loss of pin fixation in displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children: causes and prevention
Wudbhav N Sankar
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Wood Building, 2nd Floor, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:713-7. 2007
Although the results are generally good following pin fixation of supracondylar humeral fractures in children, occasionally there is postoperative displacement...
- Minimally invasive plating for complex humeral shaft fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Shanghai Sixth People s Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan Road, Shanghai 200233, People s Republic of China
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 127:531-5. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the clinical and radiographic outcomes of treating complex humeral shaft fractures by using locking compression plate with minimally invasive technique...
- Management of non-union of humeral fractures with the Stryker T2 compression nail
Trauma and Orthopaedics, Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 131:79-84. 2011
..Despite the many surgical techniques described for the management of non-unions, including plate fixation, intramedullary nailing or external fixation, some cases remain resistant to treatment with ongoing problems achieving union...
- Pink pulseless hand following supra-condylar fractures: an audit of British practice
Trauma and Orthopaedics Birmingham Children s Hospital, Birmingham, UK
J Pediatr Orthop B 15:62-4. 2006
..If the hand remains pulseless but well perfused after stabilization the preferred option would be to observe and rely on collateral circulation rather than treating it more aggressively...
- Supracondylar fractures with circulatory failure after reduction, pinning, and entrapment of the brachial artery: excellent results more than 1 year after open exploration and revascularization
Hand and Microsurgery Section, Orthopedic Department, Rikshospitalet, Songsvannsveien 20, Oslo, Norway
J Orthop Trauma 25:26-30. 2011
Neurovascular injuries in children with dislocated supracondylar humeral fractures are not uncommon. Closed reduction and pin fixation usually will restore the circulation...
- [Osteosynthesis with Kirschner wires in the treatment of dislocated supracondylar humeral fractures in children]
Klinika za decju hirurgiju, Institut za zdravstvenu zastitu dece i omladine, Novi Sad
Med Pregl 56:355-61. 2003
..Treatment included orthopedic repositioning and percutaneous pin fixation...
- Closed reduction and external fixation for displaced proximal humeral fractures
Central Institute of Orthopaedics, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 17:142-5. 2009
To assess results of closed reduction and external fixation for displaced proximal humeral fractures.
- Epidemiological features of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in Chinese children
J C Cheng
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
J Pediatr Orthop B 10:63-7. 2001
..In conclusion, many Chinese patients attend hospital later than their Western counterparts, and the rate of flexion-type injuries is low...
- "Dorgan's" percutaneous lateral cross-wiring of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children
Fintan J Shannon
Limerick Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle, Limerick, Ireland
J Pediatr Orthop 24:376-9. 2004
The preferred treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children is closed reduction and percutaneous pinning. Cross-wiring techniques are biomechanically superior to parallel lateral wiring techniques...
- Treatment of fractures adjacent to humeral prostheses
Gordon I Groh
Blue Ridge Bone and Joint Clinic, Asheville, NC, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:85-9. 2008
..Average forward elevation for the group was 124 degrees . No patient required a shoulder spica or bone grafting to obtain union. Treatment resulted in fracture union, prosthesis stability, and a paucity of complications...
- Complex distal humeral fractures: internal fixation with a principle-based parallel-plate technique. Surgical technique
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Medical Sciences Building 3 69, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:31-46. 2008
..The purpose of this study was to determine the outcome of treating these fractures with a principle-based technique that maximizes fixation in the articular fragments and stability at the supracondylar level...
- Functional outcome following surgical treatment of intra-articular distal humeral fractures through a posterior approach
M D McKee
Upper Extremity Reconstructive Service, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 82:1701-7. 2000
While surgical repair is considered the standard of care of displaced intra-articular distal humeral fractures, most investigators have assessed its results with use of surgeon-based and/or radiograph-based outcome measures...
- The locking compression plate in periprosthetic humeral fractures A review of two cases
M E Kent
Upper Limb Unit, Orthopaedics Department, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool L7 8XP, UK
Injury 36:1241-5. 2005
- The discriminative ability of peripheral and axial bone measurements to identify proximal femoral, vertebral, distal forearm and proximal humeral fractures: a case control study
Jackie A Clowes
Bone Metabolism Group, University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield, S5 7AU, UK
Osteoporos Int 16:1794-802. 2005
..The ability of different bone measurements to discriminate between fracture cases and controls is device- and site-specific, with additional information obtained by combining measurement sites and technologies...
- Distal humeral fractures treated with noncustom total elbow replacement
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:940-7. 2004
..We hypothesized that, on the basis of the functional and clinical outcome, total elbow replacement is a reliable option for the treatment of elderly patients with a severe, comminuted fracture of the distal part of the humerus...
- [Descending intramedullary nailing for the treatment of displaced supracondylar humeral fractures in children]
Annelie M Weinberg
Universitätsklinik für Kinderchirurgie der Universität Graz, Graz, Austria
Chirurg 74:432-6. 2003
Supracondylar humeral fractures are the most common lesions in childhood. Severely displaced fractures are commonly treated by crossed K-wire osteosynthesis...
- Periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty
Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:680-9. 2004
Currently, there is little information concerning periprosthetic humeral fractures after shoulder arthroplasty...
- Supracondylar humeral fractures in children
Childrens Orthopaedic Center, Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, 4650 Sunset Boulevard, MS 69, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1121-32. 2008
Operative fixation is indicated for most type-II and III supracondylar humeral fractures in order to prevent malunion...
- A new prosthetic design for proximal humeral fractures: reconstructing the glenohumeral unit
Lieven F De Wilde
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:373-80. 2004
A new shoulder prosthesis design for proximal humeral fractures has been developed...
- A biomechanical comparison of plate configuration in distal humerus fractures
Magnus W T Arnander
Rowley Bristow Orthopaedic Unit, St Peter s Hospital, Chertsey, Surrey, UK
J Orthop Trauma 22:332-6. 2008
..Our aim was to test the hypothesis that two plates placed parallel to each other are stronger and stiffer than plates placed perpendicular to each other for fixation of a distal humerus fracture model...
- Distal humerus fractures
Department of Orthopaedics, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 13:291-7. 2005
- Fixation of extra-articular distal humerus fractures using one locking plate versus two reconstruction plates: a laboratory study
Nirmal C Tejwani
Department of Orthopaedics, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Trauma 66:795-9. 2009
To compare the strength and stiffness of standard double-plate fixation with that of a single-locking plate for comminuted extra-articular distal humeral fractures.
- Nonunion after functional brace treatment of diaphyseal humerus fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Trauma 62:1157-8. 2007
..To assess which fractures of the humeral diaphysis are prone to nonunion after functional bracing by analyzing patients that present for treatment of nonunion after brace treatment...
- Mechanical comparison in cadaver specimens of three different 90-degree double-plate osteosyntheses for simulated C2-type distal humerus fractures with varying bone densities
Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma Surgery, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
J Orthop Trauma 22:113-20. 2008
- Outcome after open reduction and internal fixation of capitellar and trochlear fractures
James H Dubberley
University of Manitoba, Pan Am Clinic, 75 Poseidon Bay, Winnipeg, MB R3M 3E4, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:46-54. 2006
..Capitellar and trochlear fractures are uncommon fractures of the distal aspect of the humerus. There is limited information about the functional outcome of patients managed with open reduction and internal fixation...
- Complex distal humeral fractures: internal fixation with a principle-based parallel-plate technique
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street S W, Medical Sciences Building 3 69, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:961-9. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to determine the outcome of treating these fractures with a principle-based technique that maximizes fixation in the articular fragments and stability at the supracondylar level...
- The operative treatment of diaphyseal humeral shaft fractures
Peter A Cole
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Minnesota, Regions Hospital, Saint Paul, MN 55101, USA
Hand Clin 23:437-48, vi. 2007
..This article emphasizes surgical approaches to humeral fractures, providing a review of the surgical spectrum of treatment inclusive of intramedullary nailing and plating, ..
- The management of nonunion and malunion of the distal humerus--a 30-year experience
Jesse B Jupiter
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Orthop Trauma 22:742-50. 2008
- Percutaneous fixation of displaced proximal humeral fractures: indications based on the correlation between clinical and radiographic results
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:774-81. 2007
We evaluated 74 patients with displaced proximal humeral fractures (mean age, 70.9 years) treated with closed reduction and percutaneous pinning...
- Outcome of supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children treated by closed reduction and percutaneous pinning
Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Patan Hospital, Lalitpur, Nepal
JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc 47:66-70. 2008
..We recommend this procedure for displaced supracondylar fractures in children as it is safe and cost effective procedure with acceptable complication rates...
- Influence of osteoporosis on fracture fixation--a systematic literature review
Musculoskeletal Research, Schulthess Klinik Zurich, Lengghalde 2, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Osteoporos Int 19:761-72. 2008
..Despite significant effects in several studies, this is not supported by pooled data due to lack of accurate osteoporosis assessment and complication definitions...
- Comparison of the use of the humerus intramedullary nail and dynamic compression plate for the management of diaphyseal fractures of the humerus. A randomised controlled study
King George Medical University, Lucknow, India
Int Orthop 31:391-5. 2007
..However, there appears to be no difference between the two groups in terms of the rate of union and functional outcome...
- Avoiding complications in the treatment of humeral fractures
Jeffrey O Anglen
Department of Orthopaedics, Indiana University School of Medicine, 541 Clinical Drive, Suite 600, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5111, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1580-9. 2008
- Delaying treatment of supracondylar fractures in children: has the pendulum swung too far?
Barts and The London NHS Trust, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BB, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1228-33. 2008
..study was to report the continued occurrence of compartment syndrome secondary to paediatric supracondylar humeral fractures in the period 1995 to 2005...
- Comparative stability of perpendicular versus parallel double-locking plating systems in osteoporotic comminuted distal humerus fractures
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Level 6, B Block, Fremantle Hospital, Alma Street, The University of Western Australia, Fremantle, Western Australia 6160, Australia
J Orthop Res 26:778-84. 2008
..However, the parallel locking system showed improved stability compared with the perpendicular locking system, and therefore may be more indicated...
- Compression plating versus intramedullary nailing of humeral shaft fractures--a meta-analysis
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, McMaster Univerisity, Ontario, Canada
Acta Orthop 77:279-84. 2006
..A meta-analysis of existing trials would improve inferences regarding the treatment effect...
- Treatment of multidirectionally unstable supracondylar humeral fractures in children. A modified Gartland type-IV fracture
K K Leitch
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, 4650 Sunset Boulevard, 69, Los Angeles, CA 90027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 88:980-5. 2006
There is an uncommon subset of supracondylar humeral fractures in children that are so unstable they can displace into both flexion and extension...
- [Humeral diaphyseal fractures: functional bracing]
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, 72 Avenue, 10333 SW, 33156, University of Miami, Florida, USA
Unfallchirurg 110:824-32. 2007
..On the other hand, functional bracing of diaphyseal humeral fractures has, maintained the initial indications, contraindications and methodology...
- Articular fractures of the distal part of the humerus
Hand Surgery Service, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:232-8. 2003
..The purpose of this retrospective study was to identify the patterns of distal humeral articular fractures and to analyze the results of open reduction and internal fixation of these injuries...
- Fracture stability after pinning of displaced supracondylar distal humerus fractures in children
J E Gordon
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, and St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 21:313-8. 2001
..If a medial pin is necessary, and the ulnar nerve cannot be identified by palpation, a small incision should be made and the pin placed under direct vision...
- Fixion nails for humeral fractures
Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Prahran, Australia
Injury 35:1140-2. 2004
b>Humeral fractures in the setting of multi-trauma are usually managed with internal fixation. We prospectively followed nine patients treated with an expandable nail (Fixion, DiscoTech, Medical Technologies, Herzliya, Israel), until union...
- Comparison of two methods of percutaneous pin fixation in displaced supracondylar fractures of the humerus in children
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Malaya Medical Center, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong) 12:76-82. 2004
..To conduct a prospective randomised controlled study to compare the stability and risk of nerve injury between fractures treated by medial-lateral pin fixation and those treated by 2-lateral pin fixation...
- Biomechanical evaluation of the value of osteosynthesis in supracondylar fracture of the humerus using Kirschner pins in children
Department of Traumatology, Children s Hospital Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
Eur J Pediatr Surg 12:410-5. 2002
..The experiments were carried out at the Laboratory of Biomechanics in the Institute of Anatomy of the Medical Faculty of Zagreb...
- A biomechanical evaluation of methods of distal humerus fracture fixation using locking compression plates versus conventional reconstruction plates
Department of Trauma and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Mainz, Mainz, Germany
J Orthop Trauma 18:286-93. 2004
..To examine the biomechanical behavior of 2 techniques of double-plate osteosynthesis for fractures of the adult distal humerus using conventional reconstruction plates and locking compression plates...
- Effect of surgical delay on perioperative complications and need for open reduction in supracondylar humerus fractures in children
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Children s Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90027, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 24:245-8. 2004
- Operative treatment of type C intercondylar fractures of the distal humerus: results after a mean follow-up of 2 years in a series of 18 patients
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, PO Box 266, FIN 00029 HUS, Finland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 11:48-52. 2002
..However, age over 50 years, poor bone quality, and open fracture are correlated with increased risk for an inferior postoperative result. Early mobilization, when possible, and the use of an olecranon osteotomy are recommended...
- The LCP-concept in the operative treatment of distal humerus fractures--biological, biomechanical and surgical aspects
AO Research Institute, Davos, Switzerland
Injury 34:B20-30. 2003
..LCPs might be of substantial advantage in patients with diminished bone mineral quality or in the presence of metaphyseal comminution...
- Diaphyseal humeral fractures: treatment options
University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida, USA
Instr Course Lect 51:257-69. 2002
All of the current modalities have a place in the treatment of diaphyseal humeral fractures. Functional bracing renders a high rate of union and seems to be a safe method of treatment for most closed fractures...
- Treatment of post-traumatic humeral diaphyseal nonunion with bone loss
Orthopaedic Department, Royal Melborne Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 12:436-41. 2003
..The Ilizarov method, though not a panacea for all humeral nonunions with extensive bone loss, does offer a viable salvage procedure in this unusual and often complex clinical problem...
- Open reduction of displaced pediatric supracondylar humeral fractures through the anterior cubital approach
Department of Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery, Ankara Hand Surgery Center, Ankara, Turkey
J Pediatr Orthop 25:149-53. 2005
..Sixty-one children with displaced supracondylar humeral fractures were treated surgically with Kirschner wires using the anterior cubital approach between January 1996 and ..