Summary: Poisoning caused by ingestion of SEAFOOD containing microgram levels of CIGUATOXINS. The poisoning is characterized by gastrointestinal, neurological and cardiovascular disturbances.
Publications110 found, 100 shown here
- A pilot study for the detection of acute ciguatera intoxication in human bloodJaime Matta
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Ponce School of Medicine, Puerto Rico 00732, USA
J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 40:49-57. 2002..No laboratory method is available for clinical diagnosis of acute ciguatera poisoning. The objective of this pilot study was to ascertain the potential usefulness of a bioassay to detect ..
- Toxic marine dinoflagellates in Singapore waters that cause seafood poisoningsMichael James Holmes
Tropical Marine Science Institute, National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 119260
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 29:829-36. 2002..5. Paralytic shellfish poisoning and DSP are the major concern for local and regionally produced seafood. To the best of our knowledge, ciguatera poisoning in Singapore only originates from imported reef fish.
- Ciguatera: Australian perspectives on a global problemRichard J Lewis
Institute for Molecular Biosciences, The University of Queensland, QLD 4072, Australia
Toxicon 48:799-809. 2006....
- Features of ciguatera fish poisoning cases in Hong Kong 2004-2007Chun Kwan Wong
Biotoxin Laboratory, Public Health Laboratory Services Branch, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Biomed Environ Sci 21:521-7. 2008....
- Ciguatera: a public health perspectiveRobert W Dickey
U S FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Food Safety, Division of Seafood Science and Technology, Gulf Coast Seafood Laboratory, 1 Iberville Drive, Dauphin Island, AL 36528, USA
Toxicon 56:123-36. 2010..10ppb C-CTX-1 equivalent toxicity in fish from the tropical Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, and 0.01ppb P-CTX-1 equivalent toxicity in fish from Pacific regions...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning: treatment, prevention and managementMelissa A Friedman
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, Florida 33140, USA
Mar Drugs 6:456-79. 2008..The article is intended to clarify treatment options, and provide information about management and prevention of CFP, for emergency room physicians, poison control information providers, other health care providers, and patients...
- Severe seafood poisoning in French Polynesia: a retrospective analysis of 129 medical filesC Gatti
Institut Louis Malarde, B P 30, Papeete, Tahiti 98713, French Polynesia
Toxicon 51:746-53. 2008..Even if it is premature to conclude any correlation between the intoxication and the appearance of GBS, it is interesting to note that in both pathologies, morphological disturbances of nerve fibres have been reported...
- Ciguatera risk management in French Polynesia: the case study of Raivavae Island (Australes Archipelago)Mireille Chinain
Laboratoire des Micro algues Toxiques, Institut Louis Malarde, BP 30, 98713 Papeete Tahiti, French Polynesia
Toxicon 56:674-90. 2010..Community education resulted in self-regulating behaviour towards avoidance of high-risk fish species and fishing locations...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning, Canary IslandsJosé Luis Pérez-Arellano
Emerg Infect Dis 11:1981-2. 2005
- Pathological effects on mice by gambierol, possibly one of the ciguatera toxinsEmiko Ito
Research Center for Pathogenic Fungi and Microbial Toxicoses, Chiba University, 1 8 1 Inohana, Chuo Ku, Chiba 260 8673, Japan
Toxicon 42:733-40. 2003..With survival from the severe stage during the initial 3 h, recovery was favorable, especially after 4 days. Additional effects were not evident during 1-week post-administration observation...
- Identification of slow and fast-acting toxins in a highly ciguatoxic barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda) by HPLC/MS and radiolabelled ligand bindingIvannah Pottier
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Alimentaire USC INRA, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, Caen 14032, France
Toxicon 42:663-72. 2003..However, FAT active on VSSCs and < 900 Da were suspected to contribute to the overall toxicity...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning in the Caribbean islands and Western AtlanticI Pottier
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Alimentaire, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix, 14032 Caen Cedex, France
Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 168:99-141. 2001..A ciguatera management plan that integrates epidemiology, treatment, and a simple method of detection is required to ensure the protection of consumers...
- Neuropsychological study of ciguatera fish poisoning: a longitudinal case-control studyMelissa A Friedman
Department of Neurology, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Arch Clin Neuropsychol 22:545-53. 2007..The purpose of the study was to evaluate the neuropsychological effects of ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP)...
- Ciguatera risk assessment in two toxic sites of French Polynesia using the receptor-binding assayH T Darius
Laboratoire des Microalgues Toxiques, Institut Louis Malarde, BP 30, Papeete Tahiti, French Polynesia, France
Toxicon 50:612-26. 2007..In general, our findings were congruent with epidemiological data and the knowledge of local people only for risky fish species...
- Temporal trends and epidemiological aspects of ciguatera in French Polynesia: a 10-year analysisMarie Ludivine Chateau Degat
Public Health Research Unit, Laval University Medical Research Center CHUQ, Quebec, Canada
Trop Med Int Health 12:485-92. 2007The purpose of this study was to report the temporal trends of the incidence of ciguatera poisoning from 1992 to 2001 in French Polynesia.
- Outbreak bias in illness reporting and case confirmation in ciguatera fish poisoning surveillance in south FloridaElizabeth M Begier
Preventive Medicine Residency Program, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Public Health Rep 121:658-65. 2006....
- Optimization of ciguatoxin extraction method from blood for Pacific ciguatoxin (P-CTX-1)Marie Yasmine Bottein Dechraoui
Marine Biotoxins Program, Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, NOAA National Ocean Service, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Toxicon 49:100-5. 2007..In conclusion, both Caribbean and Pacific ciguatoxins can be readily extracted from blood using this modified method; however, in the case of P-CTX-1 we find that fresh blood is optimal...
- Comparative analysis of purified Pacific and Caribbean ciguatoxin congeners and related marine toxins using a modified ELISA techniqueCara E Campora
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Hawaii Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
J Clin Lab Anal 20:121-5. 2006..Thus, the monoclonal antibody to CTX is able to specifically detect various CTX congeners at levels comparable to those naturally occurring in ciguatoxic fish...
- Neurotoxic marine poisoningGeoffrey K Isbister
Tropical Toxicology Unit, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, NT, and Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Newcastle Mater Misericordiae Hospital, NSW, Australia
Lancet Neurol 4:219-28. 2005..Because there are no antidotes, supportive care, including mechanical ventilation in patients with severe paralysis, is the mainstay of treatment...
- Sodium channel mutation leading to saxitoxin resistance in clams increases risk of PSPV Monica Bricelj
Institute for Marine Biosciences, National Research Council, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3Z1, Canada
Nature 434:763-7. 2005..Furthermore, global expansion of PSP to previously unaffected coastal areas might result in long-term changes to communities and ecosystems...
- Biomonitoring of ciguatoxin exposure in mice using blood collection cardsM-Yasmine Bottein Dechraoui
Marine Biotoxins Program, Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, NOAA-National Ocean Service, Coastal Research Branch, 219 Fort Johnson Road, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Toxicon 46:243-51. 2005....
- Use of two detection methods to discriminate ciguatoxins from brevetoxins: application to great barracuda from Florida KeysM-Yasmine Bottein Dechraoui
Marine Biotoxins Program, Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, NOAA-National Ocean Service, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Toxicon 46:261-70. 2005..Among 40 barracudas analyzed, 60% contained ciguatoxin levels in their liver measurable by the N2A assay with the most toxic fish containing 2.1ppb C-CTX-1 equivalents...
- Ciguatera poisoningKira C Achaibar
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Imperial College London, UK
Pract Neurol 7:316-22. 2007..The patient's symptoms and small fibre neuropathy improved over a period of 10 months...
- Practical total synthesis of ciguatoxin CTX3C by improved protective group strategyMasayuki Inoue
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8578, Japan
Org Lett 4:4551-4. 2002..Alteration of the protective group from benzyl ether to 2-naphthylmethyl (NAP) ether drastically increases the yield for final global deprotection and has provided a sufficient amount of sample for further biological studies...
- Detection of ciguatoxin in fish tissue using sandwich ELISA and neuroblastoma cell bioassayCara Empey Campora
Department of Pathology, John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
J Clin Lab Anal 22:246-53. 2008..We conclude that the ELISA produces reliable and accurate results that are consistent with those provided by the accepted NB assay and that the ELISA has potential for future applications in screening fish populations for CTX...
- Chronicity of neurological features in ciguatera fish poisoningT Y Chan
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, New Territories, China
Hum Exp Toxicol 20:426-8. 2001..g., chronic fatigue, relapse of symptoms after exposure to ciguateric fish or alcohol, and peripheral neuropathy) may also indicate a lengthy persistence of ciguatoxins in the body...
- Ciguatera poisoning: a global issue with common management problemsJ Y Ting
Department of Emergency Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Eur J Emerg Med 8:295-300. 2001b>Ciguatera poisoning, a toxinological syndrome comprising an enigmatic mixture of gastrointestinal, neurocutaneous and constitutional symptoms, is a common food-borne illness related to contaminated fish consumption...
- Neurotoxins from marine dinoflagellates: a brief reviewDa Zhi Wang
State Key Lab of Marine Environmental Science Environmental Science Research Center, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, P R China
Mar Drugs 6:349-71. 2008..This review summarizes the origin, structure and clinical symptoms of PSP, NSP, CFP, AZP, yessotoxin and palytoxin produced by marine dinoflagellates, as well as their molecular mechanisms of action on voltage-gated ion channels...
- Use of monoclonal antibodies as an effective strategy for treatment of ciguatera poisoningMasayuki Inoue
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Toxicon 53:802-5. 2009....
- Ciguatera fish poisoning: a double-blind randomized trial of mannitol therapyHans Schnorf
Neurology Clinic, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Neurology 58:873-80. 2002b>Ciguatera poisoning (CP) is worldwide the most common fish-borne illness and one of the most common forms of nonbacterial food poisoning...
- Ciguatera: recent advances but the risk remainsL Lehane
National Office of Animal and Plant Health, Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Australia, Canberra, ACT
Int J Food Microbiol 61:91-125. 2000..Only certain genetic strains produce ciguatoxins, and environmental triggers for increasing toxin production are unknown...
- Ciguatera updateL Lehane
National Office of Animal and Plant Health, Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Australia, Canberra, ACT
Med J Aust 172:176-9. 2000..The incidence of ciguatera is expected to increase in association with global warming and widespread bleaching and death of coral...
- Ability of certain plant extracts traditionally used to treat ciguatera fish poisoning to inhibit nitric oxide production in RAW 264.7 macrophagesShilpa Kumar-Roine
Universite de Toulouse, UPS, UMR 152 Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie des Substances Naturelles et Pharmacophores Redox, 118 Rte de Narbonne, F 31062 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
J Ethnopharmacol 123:369-77. 2009..Many traditional remedies are commonly used in the Pacific against CFP. In this context, bioassay-guided screening was carried out to study NO inhibiting capacity of 28 selected plant extracts...
- Gambierol, a toxin produced by the dinoflagellate Gambierdiscus toxicus, is a potent blocker of voltage-gated potassium channelsEva Cuypers
Laboratorium voor Toxicologie, Campus Gasthuisberg, Onderwijs en Navorsing 2, Herestraat 49, bus 922, KULeuven B 3000, Belgium
Toxicon 51:974-83. 2008..Therefore, these results lead to a better understanding of gambierol and its possible role in CFP and they may also be useful in the development of more effective treatments...
- Neurologic signs of ciguatera disease: evidence of their persistenceM L Chateau Degat
Public Health Research Unit, Laval University Medical Research Center, Sainte Foy, Quebec, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:1170-5. 2007..Our results support the existence of neurologic impairments of CD and suggest their persistence for at least two months after onset...
- Analysis of toxin profiles in three different fish species causing ciguatera fish poisoning in Guadeloupe, French West IndiesI Pottier
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Alimentaire USC INRA, Universite de Caen, Esplanade de la Paix F-14032 Caen cedex, France
Food Addit Contam 19:1034-42. 2002..In conclusion, this study confirms the usefulness of LC-MS analysis to determine the ciguatoxins levels and the toxin profile in fish flesh hazardous to humans...
- Rabbitfish ("aras"): an unusual source of ciguatera poisoningBianca Raikhlin-Eisenkraft
Israel Poison Information Center, Rambam Medical Center, Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:28-30. 2002BACKGROUND: Ciguatera poisoning is the commonest fish-borne seafood intoxication. It is endemic to warm water tropical areas and is caused by consumption of bottom-dwelling shore reef fish, mostly during spring and summer...
- Development of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of ciguatoxin in fish tissue using chicken immunoglobulin YCara Empey Campora
Department of Pathology, John A Burns School of Medicine, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
J Clin Lab Anal 22:239-45. 2008..The sensitivity, working range, cross reactivity, accuracy, precision, and reproducibility were examined...
- Prevalence of chronic symptoms of ciguatera disease in French Polynesian adultsMarie Ludivine Chateau Degat
Public Health Research Unit, Laval University Medical Research Center, CHUL, CHUQ, Quebec, Canada
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:842-6. 2007..001). Our findings suggest that several symptoms observed in the acute phase of the disease are still experienced 15 days after onset. This supports previous observations based on isolated case reports...
- Study of an outbreak of ciguatera fish poisoning in Hong KongChun-Kwan Wong
Biotoxin Laboratory, Public Health Laboratory Services Branch, Centre for Health Protection, Department of Health, Shek Kip Mei, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Toxicon 46:563-71. 2005..Cigua-Check analysis of 20 flesh grains from seven CTX-positive fishes, previously confirmed as CTX-positive samples by mouse bioassay, showed that 50% of flesh grains were CTX contaminated...
- Epiphytic dinoflagellates associated with ciguatera in the northwestern coast of CubaGilma Delgado
Centro de Investigaciones Pesqueras, 5a Avenida y Calle 246, Barlovento, Santa Fe, Playa, P O de La Habana, Cuba
Rev Biol Trop 54:299-310. 2006....
- [Ciguatera: from the etiology of the phenomenon to the treatment of its symptoms]Raphaële Boydron-Le Garrec
Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie des Substances Naturelles et Pharmacophores Redox, UMR 152, IRD Université Paul Sabatier, Centre IRD de Noumea, BP A5, 98848 Noumea, Nouvelle Calédonie
J Soc Biol 199:127-39. 2005..The ciguateric intoxication tends to be exported towards non endemic areas where it is still misdiagnosed. No specific antidote exists to date, and it is only by symptomatic or palliative treatments that ciguatera is currently treated...
- Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) in Margarita Island, VenezuelaAmelia La Barbera-Sanchez
Centro de Investigaciones Agropecuarias de Sucre Nva Esparta, INIA, MCT Av Carupano, sector Caiguire, Cumana, Estado Sucre, Venezuela
Rev Biol Trop 52:89-98. 2004..The presence of dcSTX and dcGTX in shellfish is indicative that Gymnodinium catenatum was a causative organism for outbreak of PSP...
- TRPV1 as a key determinant in ciguatera and neurotoxic shellfish poisoningEva Cuypers
Laboratorium voor Toxicologie, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, bus 922, KULeuven, B 3000, Belgium
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 361:214-7. 2007..Here, we describe for the first time the potent effect of gambierol and brevetoxin on TRPV1 channels, a key player in thermal and pain sensation. Our findings may lead to promising new therapeutic interventions...
- Liver genomic responses to ciguatoxin: evidence for activation of phase I and phase II detoxification pathways following an acute hypothermic response in miceJeanine S Morey
Marine Biotoxins Program, NOAA Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, Charleston, South Carolina 29414, USA
Toxicol Sci 103:298-310. 2008..In addition to Cyps, increases in several glutathione S-transferases were observed, an indication that both phase I and phase II metabolic reactions are involved in the hepatic response to CTX in mice...
- Food poisoningDavid T Lawrence
Blue Ridge Poison Center, Division of Medical Toxicology, Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0774, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 25:357-73; abstract ix. 2007..This article reviews several potential food-borne poisons and describes each agent's mechanism of toxicity, expected clinical presentation, and currently accepted treatment...
- [Detection of ciguatoxins: advantages and drawbacks of different biological methods]Raphaële Boydron-Le Garrec
Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie des Substances Naturelles et Pharmacophores Redox, UMR 152, IRD Université Paul Sabatier, Centre IRD de Noumea, BP A5, 98848 Noumea, Nouvelle Calédonie
J Soc Biol 199:115-25. 2005..Finally, the mouse neuroblastoma and rat brain synaptosome assays, carried out in vitro as alternative approaches to animal-using assays, are highly sensitive and much more specific than the in vivo methods to detect ciguatoxins...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning: impact for the military health care providerMichael V Arnett
Department of Medicine, Tripler Army Medical Center, MCHK DM, 1 Jarrett White Road, Honolulu, HI 96859, USA
Mil Med 172:1012-5. 2007..for case clusters from a common source ingestion of contaminated fish, there is the potential that ciguatera poisoning may initially mimic illnesses caused by antipersonnel biological and chemical agents...
- Caribbean ciguatera: a changing paradigmT R Tosteson
Department of Marine Sciences, University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez, Isla Magueyes Marine Station, P O Box 908 Lajas
Rev Biol Trop 52:109-13. 2004..These two changes, accompanied by the discovery that ciguatoxic fish contained a variety of multiple toxins, appear to be correlated with the steadily increasing periods of elevated sea surface temperatures in this region...
- Total synthesis of gambierol: the generation of the A-C and F-H subunits by using a C-glycoside centered strategyUtpal Majumder
University of Utah, Department of Chemistry, 315 South 1400 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
Chemistry 12:1736-46. 2006..Fundamental work included efforts to C-glycosides and C-ketosides, Claisen rearrangements, and enol ether-olefin RCM reactions...
- Poisoning, envenomation, and trauma from marine creaturesR Allen Perkins
Department of Family Medicine, University of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama 36604, USA
Am Fam Physician 69:885-90. 2004..Poisoning, envenomation, and direct trauma are all possible in the marine environment. Ciguatera poisoning can result from ingestion of predatory fish that have accumulated biotoxins...
- [Ciguatera: clinical relevance of a marine neurotoxin]K Ruprecht
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 126:812-4. 2001..In the early phase of the disease intravenous therapy with mannitol has emerged as an efficient treatment...
- [Evaluation of Antilles fish ciguatoxicity by mouse and chick bioassays]I Pottier
Laboratoire de microbiologie alimentaire U.S.C. INRA, , Esplanade de la Paix, 14032 Caen, France
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 96:24-8. 2003..This study confirms the usefulness of mouse and chick bioassays for sanitary control of fish...
- Chronic phase lipids in sera of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), chronic ciguatera fish poisoning (CCFP), hepatitis B, and cancer with antigenic epitope resembling ciguatoxin, as assessed with MAb-CTXY Hokama
Department of Pathology, University of Hawaii Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822, USA
J Clin Lab Anal 17:132-9. 2003..This was compatible with the neuroblastoma assay demonstrated in the C(18) column fractions 9:1 and 1:1, chloroform : methanol solvents...
- [Seafood poisoning through marine biotoxins]Sophie Krys
Rev Prat 52:2209-11. 2002
- The transport of ciguatoxin: a case reportG Asaeda
Department of Emergency Medicine, Coney Island Hospital, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Emerg Med 20:263-5. 2001..This is a case report of such a patient who was evaluated and discharged only to subsequently return because of worsening of symptoms...
- Isolation of Prorocentrum lima (Syn. Exuviaella lima) and diarrhetic shellfish poisoning (DSP) risk assessment in the Gulf of California, MexicoA Heredia-Tapia
The Northwest Center for Biological Research SC, P.O. Box 128, La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico City 23000, Mexico
Toxicon 40:1121-127. 2002..This is the first report of a successful isolation and culturing of a toxic dinoflagellate from the Gulf of California, Mexico...
- [Ciguatera poisoning in Spanish travellers]Joaquim Gascon
Sección de Medicina Tropical Centro de Salud Internacional Hospital Clínic IDIBAPS Barcelona España
Med Clin (Barc) 120:777-9. 2003b>Ciguatera poisoning appears after ingestion of contaminated fish from tropical coral reefs. Due to the diversity of clinical symptoms and the absence of a specific test in humans, the diagnosis is often difficult.
- Is fish consumption safe?James H Diaz
School of Public Health at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, USA
J La State Med Soc 156:42, 44-9. 2004....
- Clinical problem-solving. A twist of fate?Michael D Christian
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto
N Engl J Med 351:69-73. 2004
- Ciguatera poisoning in VanuatuAnna Goodman
Department of Paediatrics, St. Mary's Hospital, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:263-6. 2003b>Ciguatera poisoning is endemic in many tropical and subtropical countries. We conducted a retrospective study of admissions to two hospitals on the islands of Vanuatu in the southwestern Pacific region...
- First toxin profile of ciguateric fish in Madeira Arquipelago (Europe)Paz Otero
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, 27002 Lugo, Spain
Anal Chem 82:6032-9. 2010..Fishes from this genus were implicated in previous suspected ciguatera poisoning outbreaks in the Portuguese Madeira Arquipelago in the North Atlantic Ocean...
- A semi-quantitative seafood safety risk assessmentJohn Sumner
Centre for Food Safety and Quality, School of Agricultural Science, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
Int J Food Microbiol 77:55-9. 2002..There have been significant (>100 cases) food poisoning incidents involving viruses and biotoxins in shellfish, while ciguatera poisoning is prevalent among coastal communities in Australia's warmer waters.
- Emerging tropical diseases in Australia. Part 2. Ciguatera fish poisoningI Stewart
Chemical Analysis, Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services, P O Box 594, Archerfield, Queensland, 4108, Australia
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 104:557-71. 2010b>Ciguatera poisoning is a food-borne neuro-intoxication caused by consumption of finfish that have accumulated ciguatoxins in their tissues...
- Establishing a public health analytical service based on chemical methods for detecting and quantifying Pacific ciguatoxin in fish samplesIan Stewart
Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services, Coopers Plains, Queensland 4108, Australia
Toxicon 56:804-12. 2010..or inadvertent misidentification, which may have implications for the management and prevention of ciguatera poisoning. Blinded inspection of case notes from suspect ciguatera poisoning cases showed that reporting of ciguatera-..
- Ciguatoxin-like substances in edible fish on the eastern MediterraneanYedidia Bentur
Israel Poison Information Center, Rambam Health Care Campus, The Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 45:695-700. 2007The consumption of edible fish (e.g., Siganus spp) was assumed to have caused ciguatera poisoning at an atypical site, the eastern Mediterranean...
- A polyether biotoxin binding site on the lipid-exposed face of the pore domain of Kv channels revealed by the marine toxin gambierolIvan Kopljar
Laboratory for Molecular Biophysics, Physiology, and Pharmacology, University of Antwerp, 2610 Antwerp, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:9896-901. 2009..neurotoxin site may have wide implications not only for our understanding of channel function at the molecular level but for future development of drugs to alleviate ciguatera poisoning or to modulate electrical excitability in general.
- Hallucinatory fish poisoning (ichthyoallyeinotoxism): two case reports from the Western Mediterranean and literature reviewLuc De Haro
Toxicovigilance, Centre Antipoison, Hopital Salvator, Marseille, France
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 44:185-8. 2006..As the implicated fish species may be also related to ciguatera poisoning, there may be possible confusion between the two fish-borne intoxications...
- Total synthesis of ciguatoxinAkinari Hamajima
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Furocho, Chikusa 464 8601, Nagoya, Japan
Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 48:2941-5. 2009Something fishy: Ciguatoxin (see structure) is one of the principal toxins involved in ciguatera poisoning and the target of a total synthesis involving the coupling of three segments...
- The first F-ring modified ciguatoxin analogue showing significant toxicityYuuki Ishihara
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Chem Commun (Camb) 46:2968-70. 2010..We report herein the total synthesis of a 10-membered F-ring analogue of 51-hydroxyCTX3C, which constitutes the first example of an F-ring modified ciguatoxin that exhibits potent cytotoxicity as well as mouse acute toxicity...
- Chronic fatigue syndrome following a toxic exposureD Racciatti
Department of Infectious Diseases, G D Annunzio University, Chieti Scalo, Italy
Sci Total Environ 270:27-31. 2001..of the illness implicates the exposure to chemical and/or food toxins as precipitating factors: ciguatera poisoning, sick building syndrome, Gulf War syndrome, exposure to organochlorine pesticides, etc...
- Critical issues in the development of health information systems in supporting environmental health: a case study of ciguateraSarah Goater
School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Queensland, Australia
Environ Health Perspect 119:585-90. 2011....
- Two patients with ciguatera toxicity: a seafood poisoning in travellers to (sub) tropical areasL Slobbe
Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 66:389-91. 2008..Most cases originate in the (sub)tropics but due to expanding tourism and fish exportation, it may be encountered in more temperate regions. Treatment is supportive, but some benefit from intravenous mannitol has been reported...
- Brevenal inhibits pacific ciguatoxin-1B-induced neurosecretion from bovine chromaffin cellsCesar Mattei
CNRS, Institut de Neurobiologie Alfred Fessard, Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Cellulaire et Moleculaire, Gif sur Yvette, France
PLoS ONE 3:e3448. 2008..Brevenal is therefore a potent inhibitor of ciguatoxin-induced neurotoxic effect and a potential treatment for ciguatera...
- A case of ciguatera fish poisoning in a French travelerM Develoux
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hôpital Tenon APHP, Paris, France
Euro Surveill 13:pii: 19027. 2008..Ciguatera is a toxic poisoning due to ingestion of fish and is rarely reported in France. Little is known about this imported tropical disease. We present a case observed in Paris in a traveller returning from the Dominican Republic...
- Marine toxic cyanobacteria: diversity, environmental responses and hazardsStjepko Golubic
Biological Science Center, Boston University, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Toxicon 56:836-41. 2010..The questions addressed include the distinction between marine and freshwater taxa, between populations in geographically separate regions as well as between their potential vs. expressed toxicity...
- Solid-phase extraction clean-up of ciguatoxin-contaminated coral fish extracts for use in the mouse bioassayChun Kwan Wong
Biotoxin Laboratory, Public Health Laboratory Services Branch, Centre for Health Protection, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 26:236-47. 2009..The use of acetone-methanol (7:3, v/v) condition in the elution could significantly improve overall recovery of CTXs, while minimizing the possible interferences of lipid matrix from co-extractants on mice...
- Defining the neurotoxin derived illness chronic ciguatera using markers of chronic systemic inflammatory disturbances: a case/control studyRitchie C Shoemaker
Center for Research on Biotoxin Associated Illnesses, Pocomoke, MD, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 32:633-9. 2010..Over 100,000 people annually experience acute ciguatera poisoning from consuming toxic fish...
- Toxicokinetics of the ciguatoxin P-CTX-1 in rats after intraperitoneal or oral administrationMarie Yasmine Dechraoui Bottein
Marine Biotoxins Program, Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, NOAA National Ocean Service, 219 Fort Johnson Road, Charleston, SC 29412, USA
Toxicology 284:1-6. 2011..Blood, as well as urine and feces may be useful matrices for low-invasive testing methods for ciguatera clinical cases...
- [Neurological features after consumption of a variety of neo-caledonian shellfish]G Angibaud
Service de Neurologie, CHT Gaston Bourret, Noumea, Nouvelle Calédonie
Rev Neurol (Paris) 156:65-6. 2000..However, no toxicologic assay was performed. To our knowledge, this poisoning has never been reported with trocas. Nevertheless, the feeding habits of trocas would suggest similarity with ciguatera poisoning.
- [Ciguatera and acute polyradiculoneuritis. Description of two cases in French Polynesia: immunoallergic hypothesis?]E Oehler
Service de Medecine, Centre Hospitalier de Polynésie française CHPf
Med Trop (Mars) 69:75-7. 2009..The hypothesis of an immune-allergic reaction is raised especially in the light of rapid improvement of the patient who received polyvalent immunoglobulin treatment...
- A Queensland family with ciguatera after eating coral troutP J Fenner
Queensland Agricultural Biotechnology Centre, University of Queensland, Brisbane
Med J Aust 166:473-5. 1997..At birth, the infant appeared to suffer no adverse effects attributable to ciguatera; to our knowledge, this is the first report of the effect of severe ciguatera in the first trimester of pregnancy...
- Species identification of ciguatoxin-carrying grouper implicated in food poisoningCheng Hong Hsieh
Department of Applied Life Science, Asia University, Taichung County, Taiwan
J Food Prot 72:2375-9. 2009..This study indicated that DNA sequence and restriction enzyme analysis are powerful methods for identifying potentially toxic red grouper species as L. bohar...
- Neurology of ciguateraJ Pearn
Graduate School of Medicine, University of Queensland, and Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Royal Children s Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland 4029, Australia
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 70:4-8. 2001..b>Ciguatera poisoning is little known in temperate countries as a potentially global problem associated with human ingestion of ..
- Neurological symptoms in a traveller returning from Central AmericaY Keynan
Infectious Diseases Unit, Bnei-Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Intern Med 256:174-5. 2004
- Biotechnological significance of toxic marine dinoflagellatesF Garcia Camacho
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Almeria, 04120 Almeria, Spain
Biotechnol Adv 25:176-94. 2007..Production and processing of dinoflagellates to extract bioactives, require attention to biosafety considerations as outlined in this review...
- Ciguatera poisoningUzi M Selcer
N Engl J Med 351:2020; author reply 2020. 2004
- Short report: persistent bradycardia caused by ciguatoxin poisoning after barracuda fish eggs ingestion in southern TaiwanYao Min Hung
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:1026-7. 2005..In two patients with ciguatoxin poisoning after barracuda fish egg ingestion, persistent bradycardia required prolonged atropine infusion...
- Metabolic and toxic peripheral neuropathies including diabetesT J Walls
Regional Neurosciences Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Curr Opin Neurol Neurosurg 5:375-8. 1992..Recent work on the molecular basis of hereditary amyloidosis is initially considered followed by various aspects of diabetic neuropathy and then the effects of ciguatoxin and podophyllin on peripheral nerves...
- Study of an outbreak of ciguatera fish poisoning in Hong KongJoanne S M Yoshikawa Ebesu
Toxicon 48:467-9; author reply 470-2. 2006
- Transcriptional profiling of whole blood and serum protein analysis of mice exposed to the neurotoxin Pacific Ciguatoxin-1James C Ryan
Marine Biotoxins Program, NOAA Center for Coastal Environmental Health and Biomolecular Research, Charleston, SC 29412, United States
Neurotoxicology 28:1099-109. 2007..In large part, the gene expression was consistent with a Th2 immune response with interesting similarities to expression seen in asthmatic models...
- A brief case report and review of ciguatera poisoningD J Farstad
Department of Emergency Medicine, United Medical Center, Cheyenne, WY, USA
Wilderness Environ Med 12:263-9. 2001..As access to tropical locations has increased, so has the distribution of ciguatera. Herein, we present a case report and review the current literature on ciguatera...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning in industrial ship crewmembers: a retrospective study in a seaport general practice in Trinidad and TobagoC M Poon-King
General Practice Services, San Fernando, Trinidad, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
West Indian Med J 53:220-6. 2004..with early and appropriate treatment, and focussed public health intervention may help limit the potential public health impact of ciguatera poisoning in industrial ship crewmembers and other fish-consuming communities in the future.
- Convergent synthesis of the right-hand segment of ciguatoxinAkinari Hamajima
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, School of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464-8601, Japan
Org Lett 8:1205-8. 2006..Key steps are Sonogashira coupling, dicobalt complexation, intramolecular conjugate addition, and hydrogenation of an endo-olefin to provide the 39-alpha-methyl group...
- Ciguatera neurotoxin poisoning mimicking burning mouth syndromeGary M Heir
Uiniversity of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Bayonne, New Jersey 07002, USA
Quintessence Int 36:547-50. 2005..Recognition of this condition in this case highlights the need for a detailed and accurate patient history...
- Prevalence, symptoms and chronicity of ciguatera in New Caledonia: results from an adult population survey conducted in Noumea during 2005Francine Baumann
Institut Pasteur de Nouvelle Caledonie, Laboratory of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, BP61, F 98845 Noumea, New Caledonia
Toxicon 56:662-7. 2010..Symptoms persisted more than one year for 34% of the population, in both Melanesians and Caucasians. This study shows a significant increase of ciguatera prevalence, and its chronicity for 1/5 of European cases...
- Total synthesis of ciguatoxin CTX3C: a venture into the problems of ciguatera seafood poisoningMasahiro Hirama
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, and SORST, Japan Science and Technology Corporation JST, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
Chem Rec 5:240-50. 2005..The chemical synthesis of CTX3C, determination of the absolute configuration, and synthesis-based preparation of the monoclonal antibodies as well as the effect of synthetic CTX3C on voltage-sensitive sodium channels are outlined...
- Revisiting the association between sea surface temperature and the epidemiology of fish poisoning in the South Pacific: reassessing the link between ciguatera and climate changeLyndon E Llewellyn
Australian Institute of Marine Science, Townsville MC, Queensland, Australia
Toxicon 56:691-7. 2010..Such a model would complicate projections of the effects of climate change upon ciguatera beyond that of a simple relationship where increased SST may cause more ciguatera...
- Ciguatera fish poisoning in la Habana, Cuba: a study of local social-ecological resilienceKaren Morrison
Environment and Resource Science Studies, Trent University, 1600 West Bank Drive, Peterborough, ON, Canada K9J 7B8
Ecohealth 5:346-59. 2008....
- Tropical fish poisoning in temperate climates: food poisoning from ciguatera toxin presenting in AvonmouthRuth Kipping
South Gloucestershire PCT, Emersons Green, South Gloucestershire BS16 7FH, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 28:343-6. 2006..Cases of fish poisoning from fish imported from the Caribbean and Pacific or travellers returning from tropical countries may be ciguatera fish poisoning, but mistakenly diagnosed as scombroid fish poisoning...
- [The man and the sea: marine phytoplancton and public health]José Mira Gutiérrez
Real Academia de Medicina y Cirugía de Cádiz
An R Acad Nac Med (Madr) 122:661-79; discussion 679-82. 2005..In this work the basic facts of HABs, their eco-epidemiology and the knowledge of toxic syndroms produced by the marine phytoplancton, represented by some Dinoflagellates and Diatomeas, and Cyanobacteria, are reviewed...
- FUNGICIDAL AND NEUROTOXIC MARINE NATURAL PRODUCTSJon Rainier; Fiscal Year: 2003..The first of these is gambierol, a marine ladder toxin associated with ciguatera poisoning. The second is armatol A, a polycyclic ether that has demonstrated interesting cytotoxicity in preliminary ..
- FUNGICIDAL AND NEUROTOXIC MARINE NATURAL PRODUCTSJon Rainier; Fiscal Year: 2006..The first of these is gambierol, a marine ladder toxin associated with ciguatera poisoning. The second is armatol A, a polycyclic ether that has demonstrated interesting cytotoxicity in preliminary ..