Summary: Accumulations of blood in the PERITONEAL CAVITY due to internal HEMORRHAGE.
Publications200 found, 100 shown here
- Significant hemoperitoneum in blunt trauma victims with normal vital signs and clinical examinationMichael Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Am J Emerg Med 20:218-21. 2002..trauma that had completely normal clinical examinations and vital signs but were found to have significant hemoperitoneum on trauma ultrasound examination...
- MDCT diagnosis of ruptured tubal pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneumBruno Coulier
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Clinique St Luc, Rue St Luc 8, 5004 BOUGE NAMUR, Belgium
Emerg Radiol 15:179-82. 2008We report a case of ruptured tubal pregnancy with massive life-threatening hemoperitoneum. The 38 year-old woman presented with gynaecologic haemorrhage, pelvic pain and hypovolemic shock...
- Intraperitoneal haemorrhage secondary to perforation of uterine fibroid after cystic degeneration. Unusual CT findings resembling malignant pelvic tumor: case reportM Varras
Department of Gynaecology, George Gennimatas General State Hospital of Athens, Second District National Health System, Athens, Greece
Eur J Gynaecol Oncol 23:565-8. 2002..In conclusion, definitive, preoperative diagnosis of a perforated, haemorrhaging, uterine fibroid is difficult; exploratory laparotomy is both diagnostic and therapeutic in this rare, life-threatening condition...
- Ovarian haemorrhage, rupture and haemoperitoneum secondary to thrombocytopenia in a patient with SLENatasha Castro-Lizano
Lupus 12:648-50. 2003
- Exophytic inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the stomach in an adult woman: a rare cause of hemoperitoneumSeong Heum Park
Department of Surgery, Korea University Medical Center Ansan Hospital, Korea University College of Medicine, 516 Gojan dong, Danwon gu, Ansan City, Kyungki Do 425 707, Korea
World J Gastroenterol 14:136-9. 2008..On laparoscopic exploration, unexpected hemoperitoneum of approximately 1...
- Vital signs fail to correlate with hemoperitoneum from ruptured ectopic pregnancyJ L Hick
University of Minnesota, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Emerg Med 19:488-91. 2001The objective was to determine correlation between vital signs and hemoperitoneum in ruptured ectopic pregnancy. A retrospective chart review of ectopic pregnancies at our urban county hospital between 1990 and 1998 was conducted...
- Spontaneous hemoperitoneum from a ruptured mesenteric branch arterial aneurysm: report of a caseElisabeth R Garwood
Department of Surgery, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Surg Today 39:721-4. 2009..Computed tomography, carried out to rule out aortic aneurysmal disease, revealed hemoperitoneum without evidence of solid organ injury...
- Hemoperitoneum secondary to rupture of cystic artery pseudoaneurysmAli Ghoz
HPB and Transplant Unit, St James s University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, UK
Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 6:321-3. 2007Spontaneous hemoperitoneum of hepatobiliary origin is commonly due to hemorrhage from a liver tumor. It is rarely caused by spontaneous rupture of aneurysm in visceral arteries.
- A new method to approach exact hemoperitoneum volume in a splenic trauma model using ultrasonographyPatrick Baque
Institut d Anatomie Normale, Faculté de Médecine de Nice, Avenue de Vallombrose, 06107 Nice Cedex 2, France
Surg Radiol Anat 27:249-53. 2005..the Focused Assessment for the Sonographic examination of the Trauma patient (FAST) accurately detects hemoperitoneum. Currently, only an approximate evaluation of the volume of free intraperitoneal fluid (FIPF) can be done by ..
- Hemoperitoneum as a first manifestation of hepatocellular carcinoma in western patients with liver cirrhosis: effectiveness of emergency treatment with transcatheter arterial embolizationL Castells
Liver Unit Vascular and Interventional Radiology Service, Hospital General Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Dig Dis Sci 46:555-62. 2001b>Hemoperitoneum is a well-known form of hepatocellular carcinoma presentation and represents a frequent complication in countries with a high incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma, but it is rarely seen in Western countries...
- Deep circumflex iliac artery-related hemoperitoneum formation after surgical drain placement: successful transcatheter embolizationSang Woo Park
Department of Radiology, Konkuk University Hospital, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 33:402-5. 2010..A contrast-enhanced abdominal computed axial tomography (CAT) scan showed a hemoperitoneum in the right perihepatic space with no evidence of abdominal wall hematoma or pseudoaneurysm formation...
- Hemoperitoneum in a postmenopausal womanP A Poma
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loyola University Chicago, Ravenswood Hospital Medical Center, Illinois, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 90:317-9. 1998..Treatment was delayed until significant blood loss was recognized. At laparotomy, a ruptured ovarian granulosa cell tumor was found...
- Splenic spontaneous rupture (SSR) and hemoperitoneum associated with low molecular weight heparin: a case reportFabio Silvio Taccone
Service de Soins Intensifs ASTI, Institut Jules Bordet, Centre des Tumeurs de l Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Rue Heger Bordet 1, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
Support Care Cancer 11:336-8. 2003..This low-molecular-weight heparin was administrated for deep venous thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. No underlying splenic pathology predisposing to this condition was found...
- Hemoperitoneum assessment in ectopic pregnancyThomas Popowski
Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Poissy Saint Germain en Laye Hospital, Poissy, France
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 116:97-100. 2012To identify routine clinical, ultrasound, and biologic criteria to assess the volume of hemoperitoneum in women with ectopic pregnancy (EP).
- Thrombocythemia and hemoperitoneum after transvaginal oocyte retrieval for in vitro fertilizationSalem A El-Shawarby
IVF Unit, Department of Reproductive Medicine and Science, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College School of Medicine, Du Cane Road, London W12 0HS, United Kingdom
Fertil Steril 82:735-7. 2004To present the first report of massive hemoperitoneum in a case of essential thrombocythemia after transvaginal oocyte retrieval for IVF and review the relevant literature related to the management of patients with this condition.
- Hepatic angiosarcoma manifested as recurrent hemoperitoneumSeung Woo Lee
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dae Jeon St Mary s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 520 2 Dae Heung Dong, Joong Gu, Dae Jeon, Seoul 301 723, Korea
World J Gastroenterol 14:2935-8. 2008..Although hepatic angiosarcoma usually presents with unspecific symptoms, it rapidly progresses and has a high mortality. We report a rare case of primary hepatic angiosarcoma manifested as recurrent hemoperitoneum.
- An unusual case of hemoperitoneum owing to acute splenic torsion in a child with immunoglobulin deficiencyE M Lopez-Tomassetti Fernandez
Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Hospital Universitario de Canarias, Canary Islands, Spain
J Postgrad Med 52:41-2. 2006..Diagnosis of hemoperitoneum secondary to torsion of a wandering spleen was made by computed tomography scan and Doppler ultrasound...
- Hemoperitoneum increases the incidence of bacterial translocationChien Ying Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 55:879-82. 2008Severe hemorrhage may induce bacterial translocation (BT) from the bowel. Presence of hemoperitoneum is supposed to further increase the incidence of BT.
- Primary angiosarcoma of the ovary complicated by hemoperitoneum: a case report and review of the literatureLeslie Bradford
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53703, USA
Arch Gynecol Obstet 281:145-50. 2010..Most cases of advanced-stage disease are aggressive and demonstrate a poor response to both surgery and chemotherapy with an overall poor prognosis...
- Hemoperitoneum from a spontaneous rupture of a giant hemangioma of the liver: report of a caseNicola Corigliano
Department of Surgery Pietro Valdoni, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Rome La Sapienza, Viale del Policlinico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy
Surg Today 33:459-63. 2003..We report a case of giant hemangioma of hepatic segments II and III, which presented as hemoperitoneum, and were treated successfully with preoperative transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE) and hepatic ..
- A spontaneously ruptured gastric stromal tumor with cystic degeneration presenting as hemoperitoneum: a case reportYoung Koog Cheon
Department of Internal Medicine, Institute for Digestive Research, Soon Chun Hyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 18:751-5. 2003We report a case of a 38-yr-old man with a spontaneously ruptured gastric stromal tumor presenting as hemoperitoneum in outpatient clinic...
- Recurrent hemoperitoneum complicating continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysisKai Chung Tse
Department of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Perit Dial Int 22:488-91. 2002To study the clinical features, clinical outcomes, and peritoneal transport characteristics of patients with recurrent hemoperitoneum complicating continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD).
- An unusual case of hemoperitoneum: uterine rupture at 9 weeks gestational ageStephanie A Dabulis
Department of Emergency Medicine, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Portsmouth, Virginia 23078, USA
J Emerg Med 33:285-7. 2007
- Blood in the belly: CT findings of hemoperitoneumMeghan Lubner
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 S Kingshighway Blvd, Box 8131, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Radiographics 27:109-25. 2007b>Hemoperitoneum may occur in various emergent conditions...
- Hemoperitoneum as the sole indicator of abdominal visceral injuries: a potential limitation of screening abdominal US for traumaK Shanmuganathan
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, University of Maryland Medical Center, Baltimore 21201, USA
Radiology 212:423-30. 1999To determine, at screening ultrasonography, the prevalence, severity, and clinical outcome of clinically important abdominal visceral injuries, without associated hemoperitoneum, that result from blunt abdominal trauma.
- Spontaneous hemoperitoneum: a bloody messBrian C Lucey
Department of Radiology, Boston VA Healthcare System, 1400 VFW Parkway, West Roxbury, MA 02132, USA
Emerg Radiol 14:65-75. 2007Spontaneous hemoperitoneum may be a life-threatening occurrence. It most frequently presents with acute abdominal pain...
- Prevalence of acute hemoperitoneum in patients with endometriotic ovarian cysts: a 7-year retrospective studyN Evangelinakis
3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School of Athens, General University Hospital ATTIKON, Athens, Greece
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 36:254-5. 2009Endometriosis is a quite common condition in women of reproductive age. The purpose of this study is to delineate the association between hemoperitoneum and endometriosis.
- Focused abdominal sonogram for trauma: the learning curve of nonradiologist clinicians in detecting hemoperitoneumS R Shackford
University of Vermont, Department of Surgery, Burlington 05401, USA
J Trauma 46:553-62; discussion 562-4. 1999..sonogram for trauma (FAST) has been used by surgeons and emergency physicians (CLIN) to screen reliably for hemoperitoneum after trauma...
- Prevalence of hemangiosarcoma in anemic dogs with a splenic mass and hemoperitoneum requiring a transfusion: 71 cases (2003-2005)Tara N Hammond
Department of Emergency and Critical Care, Angell Animal Medical Center, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 232:553-8. 2008To determine prevalence of splenic hemangiosarcoma in anemic dogs with a splenic mass and hemoperitoneum requiring a transfusion and to identify factors that could differentiate between dogs with hemangiosarcoma and dogs with other ..
- [Massive hemoperitoneum from rupture of an intra-peritoneal varix]F Leaute
Service Central de Radiologie et d Imagerie Médicale, Nantes, France
J Radiol 83:1775-7. 2002Rupture of an intra-abdominal varix in a patient with portal hypertension is a rare but severe cause of massive hemoperitoneum. The authors report the case of a patient with alcoholic cirrhosis that presented to the emergency department ..
- Fatal spontaneous gallbladder variceal bleeding in a patient with alcoholic cirrhosisEric C Chu
Division of Gastroenterology, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, California 92354, USA
Dig Dis Sci 47:2682-5. 2002..the first case of a 41-year-old man with alcoholic cirrhosis and patent portal vein who developed massive hemoperitoneum from spontaneous rupture of varices in the gallbladder fossa...
- Management of patients with ectopic pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneum by laparoscopic surgery with intraoperative autologous blood transfusionAkihiro Takeda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu Prefectural Tajimi Hospital, Tajimi, Gifu, Japan
J Minim Invasive Gynecol 13:43-8. 2006To evaluate the feasibility and safety of surgical laparoscopy with intraoperative autologous blood transfusion for ectopic pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneum.
- Superwarfarin intoxication of unknown etiology accompanying hemoperitoneum in a patient on fluconazole therapySo Young Kim
Department of Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University, Dongdaemun Gu, Seoul 130 702, Korea
Ann Clin Lab Sci 40:300-3. 2010We report a case of brodifacoum (superwarfarin) intoxication of unknown etiology presenting as hemoperitoneum after fluconazole administration for one week before the onset of symptoms...
- Haemoperitoneum due to spontaneous rupture of hepatic haemangiomatosis: treatment by superselective arterial embolization and partial hepatectomyP Soyer
Department of Radiology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
Australas Radiol 39:90-2. 1995..However, this technique seems to be useful in avoiding an emergency surgery, allowing a planned hepatic resection...
- A ruptured large extraluminal ileal gastrointestinal stromal tumor causing hemoperitoneumShoji Hirasaki
Department of Internal Medicine, Sumitomo Besshi Hospital, 3 1 Ohji cho, Niihama 7928543, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:2928-31. 2008We describe an 87-year-old woman with a large ileal gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) causing hemoperitoneum. A CT scan demonstrated a large heterogeneous mass measuring about 13 cm multiply 11 cm in the pelvis and hemoperitoneum, ..
- Intraoperative autologous blood transfusion for hemoperitoneum resulting from ectopic pregnancy or ovarian bleeding during laparoscopic surgeryTakashi Yamada
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hirakata City Hospital, Osaka, Japan
JSLS 7:97-100. 2003Our purpose was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of intraoperative autologous blood transfusion during laparoscopic surgery for hemoperitoneum in benign gynecologic disease.
- Hemoperitoneum secondary to spontaneous rupture of metastatic gastric leiomyosarcoma of the liver: report of a caseGulten Kiyak
Department of General Surgery, Ataturk Teaching and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 17:120-2. 2006Hepatic rupture with resulting hemoperitoneum due to metastatic cancer is uncommon. Reports in the literature have described a wide variety of neoplasms causing this usually fatal phenomenon...
- Spontaneous nontraumatic hemoperitoneum due to a bleeding arteriovenous malformation on the serosal surface of the transverse colon: a case reportSteven A Nissman
Department of Surgery, Medical College of Pennsylvania Hahnemann University, Philadelphia, USA
Am Surg 68:911-2. 2002..The lesion was excised and the patient recovered without sequelae. To date there have been no other documented cases of an arteriovenous malformation on the serosal surface of a visceral abdominal organ...
- [Spontaneous rupture of giant subcapsular hemangioma of the liver with hemoperitoneum and hemorrhagic shock: a case report]Baldovino Griffa
Dipartimento di Chirurgia Ospedale Valduce Como
Chir Ital 57:389-92. 2005..Spontaneous rupture of a giant hepatic hemangioma (diameter > 4 cm) with hemoperitoneum occurs very rarely...
- Hemoperitoneum secondary to spontaneous rupture of hepatic metastasis from lung cancerToru Kadowaki
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Ehime University School of Medicine, Ehime
Intern Med 44:290-3. 2005We describe a rare case of hemoperitoneum secondary to spontaneous rupture of hepatic metastasis from lung cancer...
- [Spontaneous hemoperitoneum caused by intraabdominal variceal rupture in a patient with liver cirrhosis. Clinical case]Juan Pablo Moreno
Servicio de Emergencia y Departamento de Cirugía, Hospital Clinico Universidad de Chile, Santos Dumont 999, Santiago, Chile
Rev Med Chil 130:433-6. 2002Spontaneous hemoperitoneum secondary to intraabdominal variceal rupture, is an uncommon and highly lethal complication of cirrhosis. We report a case of a 68 years old male submitted because of abdominal pain and fainting...
- Adnexal ring of ectopic pregnancy detected by contrast-enhanced CTHong Pham
Department of Radiology C5 XR, Virginia Mason Medical Center, 1100 9th Ave, Seattle, WA 98111, USA
Abdom Imaging 32:56-8. 2007..Right tubal ectopic pregnancy was confirmed at surgery...
- Spontaneous rupture of omental varices: an uncommon cause of hypovolemic shock in cirrhosisL Bataille
Hepatogastroenterology Unit, Centre Hospitalier du Grand Hornu, Hornu, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 67:351-4. 2004..Hepatocellular carcinoma, blunt abdominal trauma and postprocedural complications are classical causes of hemoperitoneum in hepatic cirrhosis. Rupture of omental varices is another and rarely reported cause of shock in cirrhosis...
- [Two cases of primary unresectable and/or recurrent gastrointestinal stromal tumors of small intestine presenting hemoperitoneum caused by administration of imatinib mesylate]Akira Yokoyama
Department of Gastroenterology, Iwaki Kyoritsu General Hospital
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 105:1619-26. 2008..Case2 was a 66-year-old man who had GIST of the jejunum with multiple liver metastases. Two cases presented hemoperitoneum caused by administration of imatinib mesylate, and we conducted emergent surgery...
- Hemoperitoneum secondary to spontaneous rupture of metastatic epidermoid carcinoma of liver: case report and review of the literatureChun Fang Tung
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 49:1415-7. 2002Massive hemoperitoneum due to spontaneous rupture of liver metastasis is remarkably rare. This is of interest because ruptured hepatocellular carcinoma is the most common cause of fatal hemoperitoneum in the Far East...
- Hemoperitoneum score helps determine need for therapeutic laparotomyK L McKenney
Department of Radiology, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL 33136, USA
J Trauma 50:650-4; discussion 654-6. 2001..The objective of this study was to prospectively validate a US hemoperitoneum scoring system developed at our institution and determine whether sonography can predict a therapeutic ..
- Internal hemorrhage caused by a twisted malignant ovarian dysgerminoma: ultrasonographic findings of a rare case and review of the literatureM Varras
Department of Gynecology, George Gennimatas General State Hospital, Athens, Greece
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol 31:73-8. 2004..Ovarian cancer presents as an acute abdomen very rarely. The purpose of the study is the description of a right ovarian malignant dysgerminoma presenting as an abdominal emergency...
- Hemoperitoneum complicating snake bite: rare CT featuresK Rathod
Department of Radiology, King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
Abdom Imaging 28:820-1. 2003..We report the computed tomographic findings in a case of snake bite resulting in hemoperitoneum, which, to the best of our knowledge, has not been reported in the literature.
- Intramural duodenal hematoma and hemoperitoneum in anticoagulant therapy following upper gastrointestinal endoscopyJaw Yuan Wang
Department of Surgery, College of Medicine and Chung Ho Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
Med Princ Pract 15:453-5. 2006..To report the unusual occurrence of intramural duodenal hematoma in a case on anticoagulant therapy, presenting as a complication of gastrointestinal endoscopy...
- Malignant fibrous histiocytoma presenting as hemoperitoneum mimicking hepatocellular carcinoma ruptureHsin Chi Chen
Department of Radiology, Cathay General Hospital, Hospital Sijhih Branch, No 2, Lane 59, Jiancheng Road, Sijhih City, Taipei, Taiwan, China
World J Gastroenterol 13:6441-3. 2007..patient presenting with ruptured hemorrhagic peritoneal MFH at subhepatic area, accompanied by massive hemoperitoneum, mimicking a ruptured pedunculated hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Spontaneous hemoperitoneum: causes and significanceBrian C Lucey
Division of Body Imaging, Department of Radiology, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 34:182-95. 2005Spontaneous hemoperitoneum is an uncommon cause of acute abdominal pain. When it occurs, it may be catastrophic...
- Spontaneous rupture of a large exogastric hemangioma complicated by hemoperitoneum and sepsisChien Hua Lin
Department of Surgery, Tri Service General Hospital, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 105:1027-30. 2006..well-defined homogeneous lesion measuring approximately 6 x 8 x 9 cm in size over the left upper abdomen and hemoperitoneum. Laparotomy was performed because of intra-abdominal hemorrhage, peritonitis, and fever...
- Massive hemoperitoneum from transhepatic perforation of the gallbladderDan Kolder
Department of Surgery, University of Missouri Hospital and Clinics, MC 418 McHaney Hall, One Hospital Drive, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
Mt Sinai J Med 73:1135-6. 2006..We report a case of transhepatic rupture of the gall bladder with massive hemoperitoneum, which required emergency laparotomy and control of hemorrhage.
- Hemoperitoneum secondary to a ruptured gastric stromal tumorTae Hyeon Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Wonkwang University Hospital, Cheonbuk, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 63:1066-7; discussion 1067. 2006
- Ruptured peripheral cholangiocarcinoma with hemoperitoneumRoland W W Chong
Department of General Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore, 169608, Singapore
Dig Dis Sci 51:874-6. 2006
- Meckel's hemoperitoneum: a rare case of Meckel's diverticulitis causing intraperitoneal hemorrhageBryan M Burt
Department of Surgery, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:1546-8. 2006..Described here is a rare case of intraperitoneal hemorrhage caused by diverticulitis of a non-perforated, non-ectopic tissue containing Meckel's diverticulum. Literature review and pathophysiology are discussed...
- Pancreatic pseudocyst bleeding associated with massive intraperitoneal hemorrhageHsin Hui Chiu
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Kuo General Hospital, No 22 Sec 2, Ming Sheng Road, Tainan 703, Taiwan
Am J Surg 192:87-8. 2006..We report a 37-year-old male with a pseudoaneurysm in the tail of the pancreas presenting with sudden onset of abdominal pain and swelling. Emergency laparotomy after blood transfusion and fluid resuscitation was successfully performed...
- [Medicine, how it stands in the textbook. Diagnosis perfect -- patient dead]Sven T von Erichsen
MMW Fortschr Med 147:16. 2005
- Rupture of papillary renal cell carcinomaMilan Hora
Department of Urology, Charles University Hospital, Plzen, Czech Republic
Scand J Urol Nephrol 38:481-4. 2004..These necroses can imitate cysts on radiological examinations (ultrasonography and CT). The tumours are fragile and vulnerable to spontaneous rupture or rupture following minimal trauma (i.e. they act as a locus minoris resistentiae)...
- Diagnostic peritoneal aspiration--the foster child of DPL: a prospective observational studyEric J Kuncir
Division of Trauma and Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Southern California, Los Angeles County and University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Int J Surg 5:167-71. 2007..We hypothesized that Diagnostic Peritoneal Aspiration (DPA), without a full lavage, accurately detects intraperitoneal blood if present in sufficient volume to cause hypotension and warrant emergent operation...
- Hemorrhagic corpus luteum mimicking heterotopic pregnancySaba Sohail
Department of Radiology, Dow University of Health Sciences Civil Hospital, Karachi
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 15:180-1. 2005..One such case is hereby presented that mimicked ectopic pregnancy clinically and heterotopic pregnancy on ultrasound. Laparoscopy was decisive...
- Spontaneous hemoperitoneum in pregnancy from a ruptured superficial uterine vesselCheng Yu Wu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shin Kong Wu Ho Su Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 46:77-80. 2007A 31-year-old multipara woman pregnant at gestational age 32+ weeks with twins encountered hemoperitoneum resulting from superficial uterine vessel rupture during tocolytic course...
- Hypotensive patients with blunt abdominal trauma: performance of screening USNavid Farahmand
Departments of Radiology and Surgery and General Clinical Research Center, University of California at San Diego, 200 W Arbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92103 8756, USA
Radiology 235:436-43. 2005..To determine retrospectively the accuracy of screening ultrasonography (US) in patients with hypotension (systolic blood pressure <or= 90 mm Hg) after blunt abdominal trauma...
- Management of ruptured corpus luteum cyst of pregnancy occurring in a 15-year-old girl by laparoscopic surgery with intraoperative autologous blood transfusionAkihiro Takeda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gifu Prefectural Tajimi Hospital, Tajimi, Gifu, Japan
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 20:97-100. 2007..Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive procedure with many advantages. However, laparoscopic treatment of ruptured corpus luteum cyst of pregnancy with massive hemoperitoneum occurring in a young girl has not previously been reported.
- Pancreatico-duodenectomy and portal vein repair in blunt abdominal traumaChee Chien Yong
Department of Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical Center, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Trauma 64:E4-7. 2008
- Intraperitoneal bleeding due to rupture of the left gastric vein (LGV) in a patient with liver cirrhosis: a case reportMasaaki Watanabe
Department of Gastroenterology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, 1 15 1 Kitasato, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, 228 8555, Japan
Abdom Imaging 33:324-7. 2008..We propose the use of TIPS for diagnosing and treating intraperitoneal bleeding from ectopic varices...
- Secondary ultrasound examination increases the sensitivity of the FAST exam in blunt traumaLorne H Blackbourne
United States Army Institute of Surgical Research, San Antonio, Texas, USA
J Trauma 57:934-8. 2004..We hypothesized that a delayed, repeat ultrasound study (Secondary Ultrasound--SUS) will reveal additional intra-abdominal injuries and hemoperitoneum.
- [Acute haemoperitoneum due to spontaneous tumour rupture as first manifestation of hepatocellular carcinoma]A Abdel Samie
Medizinische Klinik II, Klinikum Pforzheim, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Universität Heidelberg
Z Gastroenterol 45:615-9. 2007..According to our knowledge this case report is the first publication on spontaneous HCC rupture without pre-existing liver cirrhosis...
- Spontaneous colonic mesenteric hemorrhage: report of an unusual case of abdominal apoplexyEugene F Reilly
Department of Surgery, Abington Memorial Hospital, Abington, Pennsylvania, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1484-6. 2005..The diagnosis was made when exploratory laparotomy revealed hemoperitoneum and an extensive hematoma in the transverse mesocolon, with no apparent source...
- Splenic rupture after colonoscopy. A case report and review of the literatureFrancesco Di Lecce
SC di Chirurgia Generale, Azienda Ospedaliera Carlo Poma, Mantova
Chir Ital 59:755-7. 2007..Laboratory exams showed anaemia; the patient also developed hypotension and tachycardia; a CT scan revealed a splenic laceration with haemoperitoneum. A laparotomic splenectomy was successfully carried out...
- Hemoperitoneum caused by hepatic necrosis and rupture following a snakebite: a case report with rare CT findings and successful embolizationJae Hong Ahn
Department of Radiology, Asan Foundation, Gangneung Asan Hospital, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Sachun Myun, Gangneung, Korea
Korean J Radiol 8:556-60. 2007..findings in the case of a recently obtained successful clinical outcome after embolization of the hepatic artery in the case of a snakebite causing hemoperitoneum associated with hepatic necrosis and rupture with active bleeding.
- Novel computed tomography scan scoring system predicts the need for intervention after splenic injuryBurke E Thompson
Department of Central Carolina Surgery, Moses Cone Health System, Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
J Trauma 60:1083-6. 2006..The purpose of this study was to develop a computed tomography (CT) scan screening test to predict the need for intervention in patients with splenic injury...
- Spontaneous splenic rupture in a healthy allogeneic donor of peripheral-blood stem cell following the administration of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (g-csf). A case report and review of the literatureNabil M Nuamah
Hacettepe University Medical Faculty Department of General Surgery, Ankara, Turkey
Haematologica 91:ECR08. 2006..We herein, report a case of spontaneous splenic rupture secondary to high-dose G-CSF use (20 mcg/kg/day), in a healthy female allogeneic donor of peripheral-blood stem cell (PBSC) ...
- Nonoperative management of spontaneous splenic rupture in infectious mononucleosis: the role for emerging diagnostic and treatment modalitiesI Brichkov
Department of Surgery, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11219, USA
Am Surg 72:401-4. 2006..The option of arteriography, with or without embolization, should be considered in the management of all patients with spontaneous splenic rupture in the setting of IM...
- [Spontaneous rupture of a splenic artery aneurysm: a rare cause of hemoperitoneum]R De Diego Catalá
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 53:62-4. 2006
- A rare cause of intra-abdominal haemorrhage: spontaneous rupture of the splenic veinM C Safioleas
Department of Propedeutic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Chir Belg 106:237-9. 2006..Control of haemorrhage and ligation of the splenic vein with urgent splenectomy is the appropriate treatment...
- [Rare injury from blunt abdominal trauma in a child]U Schwertfeger
Chirurgische Klinik, Spital Oberengadin, Samedan, Schweiz
Chirurg 77:263-6. 2006..As the long-term results of graft implants are practically unknown, if possible a primary suture or vein patch should be performed...
- Spontaneous hemoperitoneum from a uterine leiomyoma in pregnancyLisa Wong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 84:1208-9. 2005
- Pathological splenic rupture: a rare complication of chronic myelomonocytic leukemiaShannon Lynn Goddard
Myelodysplastic Syndrome Research Program, Department of Hematology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hematol 82:405-8. 2007..Atraumatic rupture of the spleen has rarely been reported as a complication of CMML or other myelodysplastic disorders. This report should alert physicians to consider this diagnosis in patients with CMML and acute abdominal pain...
- Spontaneous uterine rupture during pregnancy, related to a horse fall 8 weeks earlierIan Michiels
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Antwerp, Belgium
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:380-1. 2007
- Splenic infarct: a rare cause of spontaneous rupture leading to massive haemoperitoneumBalakrishnan Mahesh
Department of Accident and Emergency and Trauma Surgery, Sunderland Royal Hospital, Sunderland, United Kingdom
ANZ J Surg 74:1030-2. 2004..The gross and microscopic appearances were suggestive of splenic rupture occurring through areas of infarction. We proceed to analyse the causes of spontaneous rupture of the spleen in our discussion of this case...
- Sonographic assessment of blunt abdominal trauma: a 4-year prospective studyJohn R Richards
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, Davis Medical Center, 2315 Stockton Boulevard, Sacramento, California 95817, USA
J Clin Ultrasound 30:59-67. 2002..The sensitivity of sonography in the detection of hemoperitoneum varies, and little is known about the accuracy of sonography in the detection of injuries to specific organs...
- Neonatal hemoperitoneum caused by a congenital liver angiomaMartin L Metzelder
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Clinics Münster, Westfalische Wilhelms University, Munster, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 39:234-6. 2004..Therefore, a relatively blunt abdominal trauma caused a rupture of the liver in a histologically altered part, which histologically was found to be a relatively soft and fragile tumor of the liver...
- Not so FASTM Todd Miller
Division of Trauma Surgical Critical Care, Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest and I 78, P O Box 689, Allentown, PA 18105 1556, USA
J Trauma 54:52-9; discussion 59-60. 2003..Focused assessment with sonography for trauma (FAST) as a screening tool in the evaluation of blunt abdominal trauma will lead to underdiagnosis of abdominal injuries and may have an impact on treatment and outcome in trauma patients...
- Preoperative diagnosis of traumatic disruption of the hepatocolic ligament by computed tomographic scanning: an interesting case of hemoperitoneumVijay Rastogi
Department of General Surgery, Easton Hospital, Pennsylvania 18042, USA
J Trauma 55:1175-7. 2003
- [Hemorrhagic shock due to splenic rupture in non-severe acute pancreatitis]F Jaquier
Service de Medecine Interne, Hôpital intercantonal de la Broye, Payerne
Praxis (Bern 1994) 92:1821-3. 2003..The causes of shock in acute pancreatitis and the factors that may lead to splenic rupture are discussed. In this patient, a possible role of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory treatment remains undetermined...
- Internal haemorrhage resulting from erosion of a pancreatic pseudocyst--a unique cause of fatal postpartum collapseCathy Schünmann
The Rankin Memorial Delivery Unit, Inverclyde Royal Hospital, Greenock, UK
J Obstet Gynaecol 23:674-7. 2003
- [Spontaneous splenic rupture: report of three new cases and review of the literature]R Kianmanesh
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Hôpital Beaujon AP HP, Clichy, 100, boulevard du General Leclerc, 92118 cedex, Clichy, France
Ann Chir 128:303-9. 2003..reports 3 new cases of spontaneous (or atraumatic) splenic rupture of the spleen, including two with massive hemoperitoneum and one with a secondary rupture of splenic infarct, and reviews the literature about this rare disease...
- Pancreatic rupture following a bull-head caused blunt abdominal traumaSascha Farese
U O e Divisione Clinicizzata di Chirurgia Generale Ospedale Madonna delle Grazie ASL n 4, Matera
Chir Ital 55:283-6. 2003..The post-operative course was uneventful and healing of the pancreatic fistula was documented at CT scan 39 days after the operation...
- Spontaneous splenic rupture--a rare complication of amyloidosisA Z Khan
Department of General Surgery, Worthing Hospital, West Sussex, UK
Swiss Surg 9:92-4. 2003..Amyloid deposition leading to capsular distension and increased vascular fragility is thought to predispose the spleen to rupture spontaneously...
- Lesson learnt: don't prescribe heparin for hemoperitoneum!D Debnath
West Cumberland Hospital, Whitehaven, Cumbria CA28 8GJ, UK
Emerg Med J 20:206-7. 2003..It may result in erroneous treatment of a condition, which is potentially curable...
- Diagnostic peritoneal lavage in the evaluation of abdominal trauma using the dipstickJ W Githaiga
Department of Human Anatomy, College of Health Sciences, University of Nairobi, P O Box 19676, Nairobi, Kenya
East Afr Med J 79:457-60. 2002..To determine the accuracy and sensitivity of diagnostic peritoneal lavage in the assessment of intra-abdominal injury using the dipstick method...
- Sonographic diagnosis of traumatic gallbladder ruptureEdward Y Kao
University of California, Davis School of Medicine, Sacramento, USA
J Ultrasound Med 21:1295-7. 2002..We report a case of gallbladder perforation after blunt abdominal trauma diagnosed on the basis of computed tomography (CT) and sonography...
- Isolated free fluid on computed tomographic scan in blunt abdominal trauma: a systematic review of incidence and managementChristian Rodriguez
Department of Surgery, Stamford Hospital, Stamford, Connecticut 06904, USA
J Trauma 53:79-85. 2002..This study was undertaken to attempt to determine what to do when free fluid without solid organ injury is seen on abdominal CT scan in patients with blunt trauma...
- [The importance of laparoscopy in blunt abdominal trauma]L Meyer
Chirurgische Klinik, Carl Thiem Klinikum, Cottbus, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 127:533-7. 2002..2 %. Our analysis suggests that laparoscopy should become firmly established in the diagnostic management and, if indicated, in the treatment of blunt abdominal trauma as well...
- [Surgical treatment of intraabdominal hemorrhage in peliosis hepatis]P Toth
Chirurgische Universitätsklinik Debrecen, Moricz Zs Krt 22, 4004 Debrecen, Ungarn
Chirurg 73:83-5. 2002..Peliosis hepatis usually appears as a rare autopsy finding in asymptomatic patients or in patients with chronic wasting diseases. However, peliosis hepatis may present as hepatic dysfunction or shock from hepatic rupture...
- Blunt abdominal trauma in children: evaluation with emergency USJohn R Richards
Division of Emergency Medicine, University of California, Davis Medical Center, PSSB 2100, 2315 Stockton Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
Radiology 222:749-54. 2002To assess the accuracy of emergency abdominal ultrasonography (US) in the detection of both hemoperitoneum and parenchymal organ injury in children.
- Ovarian tumor rupture causing massive hemoperitoneum: an unusual complication of colonoscopyPietro Fusaroli
Gastroenterology Unit, University of Bologna AUSL di Imola, Castel S Pietro Terme Hospital, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 67:1177; discussion 1178. 2008
- Surgical treatment in a patient with multiple implanted intraperitoneal metastases after resection of ruptured large hepatocellular carcinomaJi Kon Ryu
Department of Internal Medicine, Pundang Jesaeng General Hospital, Sungnam, Korea
Hepatogastroenterology 51:239-42. 2004..Computed tomography showed a 5x7-cm low-attenuation mass in the right hepatic lobe and hemoperitoneum was demonstrated...
- Blunt abdominal trauma: performance of CT without oral contrast materialJoshua W Stuhlfaut
Department of Radiology, Boston University Medical Center, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Radiology 233:689-94. 2004..To retrospectively evaluate multi-detector row computed tomography (CT) without oral contrast material for depiction of bowel and mesenteric injuries that require surgical repair in patients with blunt abdominal trauma...
- Prospective study of the clinical predictors of a positive abdominal computed tomography in blunt trauma patientsDavid Beck
Departments of Trauma, Akron General Medical Center, Akron, Ohio 44307, USA
J Trauma 57:296-300. 2004..CT scans are often used in the evaluation of blunt trauma patients. Many scans are negative. Clinical predictors of positive abdominal CT scans would be beneficial in patient care...
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude B Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Developing a safe and accurate method to diagnose and follow this disease may lead to earlier diagnosis and more effective treatment. ..
- VIRAL HEPATITIS IN CHILDREN OF INJECTION DRUG USERSKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- Novel Antigens & T & B Cell Responses in Biliary AtresiaKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2008..Novel BA-specific peptides, monospecific antibodies, and BA-dimers could be used for early diagnosis, identification of cellular targets and intrahepatic T cells. ..
- Clinical Decision Rule to Identify Children with Intra-Abdominal InjuriesJames Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable]..
- Effect of HBV DNA Methylation and the Mutant 1762T/1764A on Viral Load and HCCKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2008..Group 1 will receive entecavir(ETV) for 8 weeks followed by pegylated interferon + ETV for 40 weeks; Group 2 will receive ETV alone. Response will be defined by HBeAg loss/ HBV DNA < 200 cpm at 48 weeks. ..
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Developing a safe and accurate method to diagnose and follow this disease may lead to earlier diagnosis and more effective treatment. ..
- Pegylated Interferon +/- Ribavirin for Children with HCVKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2008..Other endpoints include biochemical and clinical safety assessments. This trial would thus provide critically needed data to guide safe and effective treatment of CHC, a major cause of liver disease in children [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Developing a safe and accurate method to diagnose and follow this disease may lead to earlier diagnosis and more effective treatment. ..
- Technical Validation of MRI Biomarkers of Liver FatCLAUDE B contact SIRLIN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2008
- Pegylated Interferon +/- Ribavirin for Children with HCVKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2007..Other endpoints include biochemical and clinical safety assessments. This trial would thus provide critically needed data to guide safe and effective treatment of CHC, a major cause of liver disease in children [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- VIRAL HEPATITIS IN CHILDREN OF INJECTION DRUG USERSKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- VIRAL HEPATITIS IN CHILDREN OF INJECTION DRUG USERSKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- VIRAL HEPATITIS IN CHILDREN OF INJECTION DRUG USERSKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Transducible Molecular Probes for Imaging TumorsClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2006
- Novel Antigens & T & B Cell Responses in Biliary AtresiaKathleen Schwarz; Fiscal Year: 2007..Novel BA-specific peptides, monospecific antibodies, and BA-dimers could be used for early diagnosis, identification of cellular targets and intrahepatic T cells. ..
- Clinical Decision Rule to Identify Children with Intra-Abdominal InjuriesJames Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable]..
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2007
- MR Imaging of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseClaude B Sirlin; Fiscal Year: 2010