Genomes and Genes
Summary: Functional KIDNEY FAILURE in patients with liver disease, usually LIVER CIRRHOSIS or portal hypertension (HYPERTENSION, PORTAL), and in the absence of intrinsic renal disease or kidney abnormality. It is characterized by intense renal vasculature constriction, reduced renal blood flow, OLIGURIA, and sodium retention.
Publications258 found, 100 shown here
- Terlipressin in patients with cirrhosis and type 1 hepatorenal syndrome: a retrospective multicenter studyRichard Moreau
INSERM U 481 et Service d Hépatologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
Gastroenterology 122:923-30. 2002Type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of cirrhosis associated with a short median survival time (<2 weeks). Although the administration of terlipressin improves renal function, its effect on survival is unknown...
- MELD score and clinical type predict prognosis in hepatorenal syndrome: relevance to liver transplantationCarlo Alessandria
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 41:1282-9. 2005Important progress has been made recently regarding the pathogenesis and treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS). However, scant information exists about factors predicting outcome in patients with cirrhosis and HRS...
- Terlipressin and albumin in patients with cirrhosis and type I hepatorenal syndromeSergio Neri
Department of Internal Medicine and Systemic Diseases, Liver Operative Unit, Catania University Polyclinic, Catania 95123, Italy
Dig Dis Sci 53:830-5. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a pre-renal-like dysfunction that generally onsets in cirrhotic patients presenting ascites...
- Hepatorenal syndromePere Gines
Liver Unit, Hospital Cli nic, Institut d Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi Sunyer, University of Barcelona School of Medicine, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Lancet 362:1819-27. 2003b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a common complication of advanced cirrhosis, characterised by renal failure and major disturbances in circulatory function. Renal failure is caused by intense vasoconstriction of the renal circulation...
- Systematic review of randomized trials on vasoconstrictor drugs for hepatorenal syndromeLise L Gluud
Department of Internal Medicine, Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte, Hellerup, Denmark
Hepatology 51:576-84. 2010Vasoconstrictor drugs may improve renal function in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS), but the effect on mortality has not been established...
- Terlipressin and albumin vs albumin in patients with cirrhosis and hepatorenal syndrome: a randomized studyMarta Martín-Llahí
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona School of Medicine, Institut d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi Sunyer IDIBAPS, Centro de Investigacion Biomedica en Red de Enfermedades Hepaticas y Digestivas CIBERehd, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 134:1352-9. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome is common in patients with advanced cirrhosis and constitutes a major problem in liver transplantation. There is no effective medical treatment for hepatorenal syndrome.
- A randomized, prospective, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of terlipressin for type 1 hepatorenal syndromeArun J Sanyal
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Department of Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA
Gastroenterology 134:1360-8. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) type 1 is a progressive functional renal failure in subjects with advanced liver disease...
- Reversal of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome with the administration of midodrine and octreotideP Angeli
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Hepatology 29:1690-7. 1999..inhibitor of the release of endogenous vasodilators together with a vasoconstrictor agent in patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS)...
- Effects of noradrenalin and albumin in patients with type I hepatorenal syndrome: a pilot studyChristophe Duvoux
Service d hépatologie et de gastroentérologie, AP HP, Hopital Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Hepatology 36:374-80. 2002..5 mg/h NA) that did not recur after a dose reduction. In conclusion, NA combined with albumin and furosemide appears effective and safe for the treatment of type 1 HRS...
- Effect of terlipressin (Glypressin) on hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhotic patients: results of a multicentre pilot studyChantal Halimi
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, Centre Hospitalier de Senlis, Paris, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:153-8. 2002b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of cirrhosis, leading to death in more than 90% of cases in the absence of liver transplantation. Several treatments have been attempted as a bridge to liver transplantation...
- Clinical course, predictive factors and prognosis in patients with cirrhosis and type 1 hepatorenal syndrome treated with Terlipressin: a retrospective analysisIsabelle Colle
Laboratoire d Hémodynamique Splanchmique et de Biologie Vasculaire, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherge Médicale, Clinchy, France
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:882-8. 2002Terlipressin has been proposed to treat renal failure in patients with type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS)...
- Working Party proposal for a revised classification system of renal dysfunction in patients with cirrhosisFlorence Wong
Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario M5G2C4, Canada
Gut 60:702-9. 2011..Therefore, there is a need for a newer classification to include both functional and structural renal diseases...
- Improvement of hepatorenal syndrome with extracorporeal albumin dialysis MARS: results of a prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trialS R Mitzner
Department of Medicine, University of Rostock, Germany
Liver Transpl 6:277-86. 2000In hepatorenal syndrome (HRS), renal insufficiency is often progressive, and the prognosis is extremely poor under standard medical therapy...
- Type-2 hepatorenal syndrome and refractory ascites: role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent-shunt in eighteen patients with advanced cirrhosis awaiting orthotopic liver transplantationGianni Testino
Unit of Hepato Gastroenterology Monoblocco 12, S Martino Hospital, Piazzale R Benzi 16132, Genova, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 50:1753-5. 2003..Its role in the management of refractory ascites and hepatorenal syndrome still awaits further prospective studies. Type-2 hepatorenal syndrome is a moderate steady renal impairment...
- Hepatorenal syndrome: the 8th International Consensus Conference of the Acute Dialysis Quality Initiative (ADQI) GroupMitra K Nadim
Department of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1520 San Pablo Street, Suite 4300, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Crit Care 16:R23. 2012..Since the original publication of the definition and diagnostic criteria for the hepatorenal syndrome (HRS), there have been major advances in our understanding of its pathogenesis...
- Terlipressin in hepatorenal syndrome: Evidence for present indicationsHarshal Rajekar
Department of General Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:109-14. 2011b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is the most frequent life threatening complication of advanced liver failure and cirrhosis...
- The Prometheus device for extracorporeal support of combined liver and renal failureKinan Rifai
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Blood Purif 23:298-302. 2005..Therefore, it is a promising treatment option for patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS).
- The use of albumin in all patients with decompensated cirrhosis is not justifiedBenjamin Avidan
Department of Gastroenterology, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:118-20. 2005
- Octreotide/Midodrine therapy significantly improves renal function and 30-day survival in patients with type 1 hepatorenal syndromeEric Esrailian
Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:742-8. 2007Type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) can be a rapidly fatal consequence of liver failure. Recent studies have utilized vasoconstrictor therapies to combat splanchnic vasodilatation...
- Hepatorenal syndrome: a proposal for kidney after liver transplantation (KALT)Richard Ruiz
Baylor Regional Transplant Institute, Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Liver Transpl 13:838-43. 2007b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a well-recognized complication of end-stage liver disease...
- An open label, pilot, randomized controlled trial of noradrenaline versus terlipressin in the treatment of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome and predictors of responsePraveen Sharma
Department of Gastroenterology, G B Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
Am J Gastroenterol 103:1689-97. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is characterized by functional renal failure in end-stage liver disease. Terlipressin is the drug of choice for treating type 1 HRS (HRS-1). It is expensive and often not readily available...
- Renal resistive index and renal function before and after paracentesis in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and tense ascitesAndreas Umgelter
II Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675, Munich, Germany
Intensive Care Med 35:152-6. 2009..To assess the effect of reducing intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) by paracentesis on renal resistive index (RI), hemodynamics and renal function...
- Vasopressin, not octreotide, may be beneficial in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome: a retrospective studyTyree H Kiser
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:1813-20. 2005b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of cirrhosis and is associated with high mortality. Ornipressin and terlipressin are effective in treatment of HRS, but are not available in the USA...
- Predictors of response to terlipressin plus albumin in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) type 1: relationship of serum creatinine to hemodynamicsThomas D Boyer
Dept of Medicine, University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ, United States
J Hepatol 55:315-21. 2011..However, only about 1/3 of patients respond to treatment, therefore, predictors of response and survival would help identify the patients most likely to benefit from treatment...
- Terlipressin improves renal function in patients with cirrhosis and ascites without hepatorenal syndromeAleksander Krag
Department of Gastroenterology, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Hepatology 46:1863-71. 2007..The vasoconstrictor terlipressin improves renal function in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS)...
- Recent advances in our understanding of hepatorenal syndromeFlorence Wong
Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4, Canada
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:382-91. 2012b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a serious complication of advanced cirrhosis with ascites. HRS develops as a result of abnormal haemodynamics, leading to splanchnic and systemic vasodilatation, but renal vasoconstriction...
- Serum cystatin C level is a good prognostic marker in patients with cirrhotic ascites and normal serum creatinine levelsYeon Seok Seo
Department of Internal Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Int 29:1521-7. 2009..This study evaluated the clinical significance of CysC in patients with cirrhotic ascites and a normal serum Cr level...
- Lack of renal improvement with nonselective endothelin antagonism with tezosentan in type 2 hepatorenal syndromeFlorence Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Hepatology 47:160-8. 2008Renal vasoconstriction is a key factor in the development of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) and may be secondary to increased activities of endothelin-1, a potent renal vasoconstrictor...
- Systematic review: renal and other clinically relevant outcomes in hepatorenal syndrome trialsP Tandon
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:1017-28. 2007Although reversal of pretransplant renal dysfunction in hepatorenal syndrome reduces post-transplant complications, the overall impact on morbidity and mortality requires clarification.
- The role of duplex-doppler ultrasonography in the diagnosis of renal dysfunction and hepatorenal syndrome in patients with liver cirrhosisSnijezana Kastelan
Department of Gastroenterology, Clinical Hospital Sestre Milosrdnice, Zagreb, Croatia
Hepatogastroenterology 51:1408-12. 2004..measured by duplex-Doppler ultrasonography for detecting early impairment of renal function in patients with liver cirrhosis and its possible use in detecting a subgroup of patients with a higher risk of developing hepatorenal syndrome.
- [Intrarenal arterial doppler ultrasonography in cirrhotic patients with ascites, with and without hepatorenal syndrome]Alberto Bardi
Centro de Gastroenterología y Unidad de Nefrología, Departamento de Medicina y Servicio de Radiología, Hospital Clinico Universidad de Chile
Rev Med Chil 130:173-80. 2002The pathophysiological hallmark of the hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is renal vasoconstriction...
- Hepatorenal syndromeMonica Guevara
Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Liver Unit, IDIBAPS, CIBERHED, Barcelona, Spain
Expert Opin Pharmacother 12:1405-17. 2011..Renal failure in cirrhosis is a common complication that is associated with poor survival. A rapid diagnosis of the cause of renal failure is mandatory because it is associated with prognosis...
- Hepatorenal syndrome: a dreaded complication of end-stage liver diseaseAndres Cardenas
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, 110 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:460-7. 2005b>Hepatorenal syndrome is the dreaded complication of end-stage liver disease characterized by functional renal failure due to renal vasoconstriction in the absence of underlying kidney pathology...
- Review article: albumin in the treatment of liver diseases--new features of a classical treatmentV Arroyo
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:1-5. 2002..have clearly demonstrated its efficacy in the prevention and treatment of circulatory dysfunction and hepatorenal syndrome in patients with cirrhosis...
- Combination treatment with octreotide, midodrine, and albumin improves survival in patients with type 1 and type 2 hepatorenal syndromeCatherine Skagen
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:680-5. 2009Few therapeutic modalities exist for the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS)...
- [Hepatorenal syndrome in patients with liver cirrhosis]Stéphane Zaza
Division des soins intensifs, Departement de Medecine Interne, CHU Vaudois, Rue du Bugnon 11, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Nephrol Ther 1:174-82. 2005b>Hepatorenal syndrome is a particular form of functional renal failure which may develop in patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Hepatorenal syndrome: a reviewGianni Testino
Unit of Alcoholic Diseases and Hepatology, Department of Specialistic Medicine, San Martino Hospital, Genova, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 57:1279-84. 2010b>Hepatorenal Syndrome (HRS) is a serious and life-threatening complication of portal hypertension and end stage liver disease...
- Terlipressin and albumin combination treatment in hepatorenal syndromeAhmet Danalioglu
Istanbul University, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Gastroenterohepatology Department, Turkey
Hepatogastroenterology 50:ccciii-cccv. 2003b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of cirrhosis, leading to death in nearly all of cases in the absence of liver transplantation. Several treatments have been attempted as a bridge to liver transplantation...
- Single pass albumin dialysis in hepatorenal syndromeEbadur Rahman
Department of Medicine, King Khalid University Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 19:479-84. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is the most appalling complication of acute or chronic liver disease with 90% mortality rate. Single pass albumin dialysis (SPAD) can be considered as a noble liver support technique in HRS...
- Management of refractory ascites and hepatorenal syndromeAmy N Sussman
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Curr Gastroenterol Rep 13:17-25. 2011..Lastly, the development of hepatorenal syndrome indicates the patient's liver disease is advanced, and transplantation again is the best option...
- Type-1 hepatorenal syndrome in patients with alcoholic end stage liver disease listed for liver transplantation: role of transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic stent shuntG Testino
Panminerva Med 49:43-5. 2007
- Midodrine in the prevention of hepatorenal syndrome type 2 recurrence: a case-control studyC Alessandria
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 41:298-302. 2009b>Hepatorenal syndrome is a severe complication of cirrhosis. Treatment with terlipressin has currently the best efficacy pedigree, inducing hepatorenal syndrome reversal in a high proportion of patients...
- Pathophysiological basis of pharmacotherapy in the hepatorenal syndromeSøren Møller
Department of Clinical Physiology 239, Hvidovre Hospital, University of Copenhagen, DK 2650, Hvidovre, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:491-500. 2005b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a functional and reversible impairment of renal function in patients with severe cirrhosis...
- Degree of hepatic dysfunction and improvement of renal function predict survival in patients with HRS type I: a retrospective analysisBeate Appenrodt
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1428-32. 2009b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a frequent complication of end-stage liver cirrhosis. HRS type I has a very poor prognosis...
- Which patients benefit from hemodialysis therapy in hepatorenal syndrome?Oliver Witzke
Department of Nephrology, University Clinic Essen, Essen, Germany
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:1369-73. 2004b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) occurs in patients with advanced liver cirrhosis and has a poor outcome. The aim of the present study was to investigate which patients with HRS are likely to benefit from hemodialysis.
- Reversal of hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhotic patients with terlipressin plus albumin. First experience in MexicoLinda E Muñoz
Liver Unit, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico
Ann Hepatol 8:207-11. 2009Type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a functional renal failure that complicates end-stage cirrhosis. The vasopressin analogue terlipressin has been associated with improved renal function in patients with type 1 HRS.
- Cystatin C is a good predictor of hepatorenal syndrome and survival in patients with cirrhosis who have normal serum creatinine levelsHyung Su Ahn
Department of Internal Medicine, Chun Hyang University College of Medicine, Bucheon, Korea
Hepatogastroenterology 59:1168-73. 2012..We evaluated the usefulness of cystatin C as a prognostic marker in patients with liver cirrhosis and normal serum creatinine...
- Reversibility of hepatorenal syndrome by prolonged administration of ornipressin and plasma volume expansionM Guevara
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, University of Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Hepatology 27:35-41. 1998b>Hepatorenal syndrome is caused by a marked vasoconstriction of the renal circulation...
- Management of refractory ascites and hepatorenal syndromeAnuchit Chutaputti
Section of Digestive and Liver Diseases, Department of Medicine, Phramongkutklao Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:456-61. 2002Refractory ascites and hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) are the late complications of the terminal stages of cirrhosis...
- Hepatorenal syndrome: a severe, but treatable, cause of kidney failure in cirrhosisClaudia Fagundes
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic and University of Barcelona School of Medicine, Institut d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi Sunyer IDIBAPS, Ciber de Enfermedades Hepáticas y Digestivas CIBERHED, Insituto Reina Sofia de Investigación Nefrológica IRSIN, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Am J Kidney Dis 59:874-85. 2012b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a unique type of kidney failure that occurs in advanced cirrhosis...
- Prometheus--a new extracorporeal system for the treatment of liver failureKinan Rifai
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Endocrinology, Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
J Hepatol 39:984-90. 2003..In a simultaneous step, high-flux hemodialysis is performed. We assessed safety, adsorber efficiency and clinical efficacy of the Prometheus system...
- Long-term outcome of patients treated with terlipressin for types 1 and 2 hepatorenal syndromeAdam G Testro
Department of Gastroenterology and Liver Transplantation, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 23:1535-40. 2008Studies suggest that terlipressin is effective in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS). However, factors predicting response to therapy and the long-term outcome of patients have not been defined.
- New challenge of hepatorenal syndrome: prevention and treatmentF Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, The Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 34:1242-51. 2001b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) remains one of the major therapeutic challenges in hepatology today...
- Efficacy and safety of terlipressin in cirrhotic patients with variceal bleeding or hepatorenal syndromeAleksander Krag
Department of Gastroenterology, Hvidovre University Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Adv Ther 25:1105-40. 2008..used in the treatment of patients with cirrhosis and bleeding esophageal varices (BEV) and in patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS): two of the most dramatic and feared complications of cirrhosis...
- Terlipressin-induced vasoconstriction reversed with N-acetylcysteine: a case for combined use in hepatorenal syndrome?Sambit Sen
Gastroenterology 123:2160-1. 2002
- Review article: pharmacological treatment of the hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhotic patientsL Dagher
Department of Liver Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Medicine, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:515-21. 2000..Where there is no anatomical or pathological cause for the renal failure, it is termed the hepatorenal syndrome. When the hepatorenal syndrome develops, it will only recover when there is some degree of improvement in ..
- Terlipressin for hepatorenal syndrome: A meta-analysis of randomized trialsFabrizio Fabrizi
Division of Nephrology and Dialysis, Maggiore Hospital, IRCCS Foundation, Milan Italy
Int J Artif Organs 32:133-40. 2009b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of end-stage renal disease whose management still constitutes a big challenge. Various approaches have been used for hepatorenal syndrome treatment, including vasoconstrictor therapy...
- Hepatorenal syndromeDeepak Venkat
Department of Internal Medicine, Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
South Med J 103:654-61. 2010Acute kidney injury (AKI) secondary to hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is an ominous complication of end-stage liver disease (ESLD)...
- Renal failure in cirrhotic patients: role of terlipressin in clinical approach to hepatorenal syndrome type 2Carlo Alessandria
Department of Gastroenterology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Torino, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 14:1363-8. 2002Renal failure secondary to hepatorenal syndrome or to organic renal disease occurs frequently in cirrhotic patients with portal hypertension...
- Treatment of hepatorenal syndromeTyree H Kiser
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80045, USA
Pharmacotherapy 29:1196-211. 2009b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a type of renal failure that occurs in patients with advanced cirrhosis...
- Outcome of patients with hepatorenal syndrome type 1 after liver transplantation: Hangzhou experienceXiao Xu
Division of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Department of Surgery, First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Transplantation 87:1514-9. 2009Patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) type 1 have an extremely poor prognosis. Liver transplantation (LT) is the only treatment that can cure terminal stage liver disease and reverse HRS...
- Predictors of response to therapy with terlipressin and albumin in patients with cirrhosis and type 1 hepatorenal syndromeAndré Nazar
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
Hepatology 51:219-26. 2010Terlipressin plus albumin is an effective treatment for type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS), but approximately only half of the patients respond to this therapy...
- Rift Valley fever hepatitis complicated by disseminated intravascular coagulation and hepatorenal syndromeTarig S Al-Khuwaitir
Department of Medicine, Riyadh Medical Complex, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:528-31. 2004
- Effects of treatment of hepatorenal syndrome before transplantation on posttransplantation outcome. A case-control studyTea Restuccia
Liver Unit, Institute for Digestive Diseases, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Catalunya, Spain
J Hepatol 40:140-6. 2004Pretransplant renal function is the major determinant of survival after liver transplantation (LTx). Patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) have a poor outcome after LTx compared with patients transplanted without HRS.
- Octreotide in hepatorenal syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover studyGilles Pomier-Layrargues
Liver Unit, Hopital Saint Luc, Centre Hospitalier de l Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Canada
Hepatology 38:238-43. 2003The hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is related to vasoconstriction of the renal cortex induced by systemic hypovolemia that follows splanchnic vasodilatation as the primary event in the cascade of hemodynamic changes associated with portal ..
- Molecular adsorbent recirculating system is ineffective in the management of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome in patients with cirrhosis with ascites who have failed vasoconstrictor treatmentFlorence Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, 9N 983 Toronto General Hospital, 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto M5G 2C4, Ontario, Canada
Gut 59:381-6. 2010The pathogenetic mechanism of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is paradoxical renal vasoconstriction consequent upon systemic and splanchnic arterial vasodilatation...
- Terlipressin therapy for reversal of type 1 hepatorenal syndrome: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsSashidhar V Sagi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:880-5. 2010b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a serious complication of advanced liver disease and carries a poor prognosis. Recent trials have indicated that terlipressin may be effective in reversing HRS...
- TIPS for the treatment of refractory ascites, hepatorenal syndrome and hepatic hydrothorax: a critical updateMartin Rossle
Praxiszentrum, Bertoldstrasse 48, Freiburg, Germany
Gut 59:988-1000. 2010Refractory ascites is a frequent complication of advanced cirrhosis and is associated with hepatorenal syndrome and hepatic hydrothorax...
- Does hepatorenal syndrome affect the result of liver transplantation? Clinical observationsI Park
Department of Nephrology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Gyeonggi Do, Republic of Korea
Transplant Proc 42:2563-6. 2010b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a reversible, functional renal failure that occurs in patients with advanced hepatic failure...
- Improvement of multiple organ functions in hepatorenal syndrome during albumin dialysis with the molecular adsorbent recirculating systemS R Mitzner
Department of Medicine, University of Rostock, Germany
Ther Apher 5:417-22. 2001Recently, significant improvement of renal function and prolongation of survival were reported in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) patients treated with the Molecular Adsorbent Recirculating System (MARS)...
- Accuracy of MELD scores in predicting mortality in decompensated cirrhosis from variceal bleeding, hepatorenal syndrome, alcoholic hepatitis, or acute liver failure as well as mortality after non-transplant surgery or TIPSMohamad R Al Sibae
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:977-87. 2011....
- Long-term terlipressin administration improves renal function in cirrhotic patients with type 1 hepatorenal syndrome: a pilot studyJ P Mulkay
Department of Gastroenterology, Hopital Erasme, , Brussels, Belgium
Acta Gastroenterol Belg 64:15-9. 2001BACKGROUND: Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of liver cirrhosis. Recently, ornipressin, a potent splanchnic vasoconstrictor, was reported to improve renal function in patients with HRS...
- Renal and neurohormonal changes following simultaneous administration of systemic vasoconstrictors and dopamine or prostacyclin in cirrhotic patients with hepatorenal syndromeJ Salo
Department of Medicine, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 25:916-23. 1996Intravenous ornipressin in cirrhotic patients with hepatorenal syndrome causes marked improvement of systemic hemodynamics and suppression of plasma renin and norepinephrine but only moderate improvement of renal function...
- Circulatory function and hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhosisLuis Ruiz-del-Arbol
Hepatic Hemodynamic Unit, Gastroenterology Department, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, University of Alcala, Ctra de Colmenar Viejo Km 9 1, 28034 Madrid, Spain
Hepatology 42:439-47. 2005The pathogenic mechanism of hepatorenal syndrome is not well established. We investigated the circulatory function in cirrhosis before and after the development of hepatorenal syndrome...
- Hepatorenal syndrome--is it central hypovolemia, a cardiac disease, or part of gradually developing multiorgan dysfunction?Kurt Lenz
Hepatology 42:263-5. 2005
- Diagnosis, prevention and treatment of hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhosisFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi, 30, 20097 San Donato MI, Italy
Gut 56:1310-8. 2007
- [Successful conservative therapy of hepatorenal syndrome with vasopressin-1-receptor antagonist ornipressin]V Gulberg
Medizinische Klinik II, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Munchen
Z Gastroenterol 36:1053-8. 1998..So far, no noninvasive therapy of hepatorenal syndrome has been established...
- Terlipressin therapy with and without albumin for patients with hepatorenal syndrome: results of a prospective, nonrandomized studyRolando Ortega
Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Institut d Investigacions Biomédiques August Pi Sunyer IDIBAPS, Catalunya, Spain
Hepatology 36:941-8. 2002Vasopressin analogues associated with albumin improve renal function in hepatorenal syndrome (HRS)...
- Beneficial effects of terlipressin in hepatorenal syndrome: a prospective, randomized placebo-controlled clinical trialPrashant Solanki
Department of Gastroenterology, GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:152-6. 2003b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) occurs in about 18% of cirrhotic patients with ascites and is characterized by intense renal vasoconstriction, low glomerular filtration rate and preserved tubular function and normal renal histology...
- Noradrenalin vs terlipressin in patients with hepatorenal syndrome: a prospective, randomized, unblinded, pilot studyC Alessandria
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Torino, Italy
J Hepatol 47:499-505. 2007Treatment of hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is based on vasoconstrictors. Terlipressin is the one with the soundest evidence. Noradrenalin has been suggested as an effective alternative...
- Ascites and hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhosis: pathophysiological basis of therapy and current managementVicente Arroyo
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive Diseases, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel, 170, University of Barcelona, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 38:S69-89. 2003
- Primary prophylaxis of spontaneous bacterial peritonitis delays hepatorenal syndrome and improves survival in cirrhosisJavier Fernandez
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 133:818-24. 2007..Norfloxacin is highly effective in preventing spontaneous bacterial peritonitis recurrence in cirrhosis, but its role in the primary prevention of this complication is uncertain...
- Effects of plasma expansion with albumin and paracentesis on haemodynamics and kidney function in critically ill cirrhotic patients with tense ascites and hepatorenal syndrome: a prospective uncontrolled trialAndreas Umgelter
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Technischen Universität München, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675 Munchen, Germany
Crit Care 12:R4. 2008..This study investigates the short-term effects of paracentesis on haemodynamics and kidney function in volume resuscitated patients with HRS...
- Relationship between activation of the sympathetic nervous system and renal blood flow autoregulation in cirrhosisVanessa Stadlbauer
Liver Failure Group, Institute of Hepatology, Division of Medicine, University College London, London, England
Gastroenterology 134:111-9. 2008..is critically dependent on renal perfusion pressure and that this contributes to the development of the hepatorenal syndrome. The aims of the study were to determine the relationship of renal blood flow and renal perfusion pressure ..
- The growing evidence that renal function should be improved in patients with cirrhosis and hepatorenal syndrome before liver transplantationRichard Moreau
J Hepatol 40:159-61. 2004
- Pathogenesis and treatment of hepatorenal syndromeVicente Arroyo
Liver Unit, Institute of Digestive and Metabolic Diseases, CIBERehd, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Semin Liver Dis 28:81-95. 2008b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a functional renal failure that frequently develops in patients with advanced cirrhosis and severe impairment in systemic circulatory function...
- Vasopressin analogues in the treatment of hepatorenal syndrome and gastrointestinal haemorrhageKlaus D Döhler
Curatis Pharma GmbH, Karl Wiechert Allee 76, D 30625 Hannover, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol 22:335-50. 2008Bleeding of oesophageal varices and hepatorenal syndrome are most dramatic complications in gastroenterology...
- Development of hepatorenal syndrome in bile duct ligated ratsRegina M Pereira
Departamento de Pediatria, Faculdade de Medicina, Endereco, Avenida Bernardo Monteiro, Minas Gerais 30150 281, Brazil
World J Gastroenterol 14:4505-11. 2008..To evaluate in bile duct ligated rats whether there were progressive alterations of renal function without changes in histopathology...
- Low-dose vasopressin restores diuresis both in patients with hepatorenal syndrome and in anuric patients with end-stage heart failureA Eisenman
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine B, Rambam Medical Center, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Intern Med 246:183-90. 1999..to confirm earlier reports that low-dose vasopressin (LDVP) analogues promote urine output in patients with hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) and to check whether this mode of therapy could also be effective in renal shutdown due to nonhepatic ..
- Hepatorenal syndrome in patients with cirrhosisRichard Moreau
Laboratoire d Hémodynamique Splanchnique et de Biologie Vasculaire, INSERM U 481, and Service d Hépatologie, Hopital Beaujon, Clichy, France
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:739-47. 2002Type 1 hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a severe complication of end-stage cirrhosis. Type 1 HRS is an acute functional renal failure (i.e...
- Midodrine, octreotide, albumin, and TIPS in selected patients with cirrhosis and type 1 hepatorenal syndromeFlorence Wong
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Toronto General Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hepatology 40:55-64. 2004b>Hepatorenal syndrome (HRS) is a functional renal disorder complicating decompensated cirrhosis. Treatments to date, except liver transplantation, have been able to improve but not normalize renal function...
- Outpatient management of cirrhosis: a narrative reviewRonnie E Mathews
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
South Med J 99:600-6. 2006..complications include spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, hepatocellular carcinoma, hepatic encephalopathy, hepatorenal syndrome, and hepatopulmonary syndrome...
- Current management of the complications of portal hypertension: variceal bleeding and ascitesNina Dib
Department of Hepato Gastroenterology, University Hospital, and HIFIH Laboratory, Universite d Angers, Angers, France
CMAJ 174:1433-43. 2006..is sometimes refractory to treatment and is complicated by spontaneous bacterial peritonitis and hepatorenal syndrome. We describe the pathophysiology of portal hypertension and the current management of its complications, ..
- Advances in critical care hepatologyM L Volk
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48102 0632, USA
Minerva Anestesiol 72:269-81. 2006..liver disease is best discussed in terms of the various complications that may ensue such as ascites, hepatorenal syndrome, spontaneous bacterial peritonitis, variceal hemorrhage and hepatic encephalopathy...
- Portal hypertensionGuadalupe Garcia-Tsao
Section of Digestive Diseases, Yale University School of Medicine and Connecticut VA, Healthcare System, New Haven, 06510, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 22:254-62. 2006..Significant advances in the pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of the complications of portal hypertension that have occurred in the last year are reported...
- [Complications of liver cirrhosis. Is it still possible to help these patients?]Peter Stiefelhagen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:12-5. 2008
- [Hepatorenal syndrome]Katarzyna Romejko-Ciepielewska
Katedra i Klinika Chorób Wewnetrznych i Nefrologii AM w Warszawie
Pol Arch Med Wewn 114:813-8. 2005
- Fluid retention in cirrhosis: pathophysiology and managementA Kashani
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastronterology and Hepatology, University of California, Davis Medical Center, 4150 V Street PSSB 3500, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
QJM 101:71-85. 2008..Diagnostic paracentesis and antibiotic therapy plus prophylactic regimen are mandatory. Hepatorenal syndrome is a state of functional renal failure in the setting of low cardiac output and impaired renal perfusion...
- New management options for end-stage chronic liver disease and acute liver failure: potential for pediatric patientsDominique Debray
Paediatric Hepatology Unit, Hôpital Bicêtre Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Cedex, France
Paediatr Drugs 8:1-13. 2006..g. refractory ascites, hepatorenal syndrome, encephalopathy, and cerebral edema) that may be applied to children are reviewed in this article...
- The management and nursing care of cirrhotic ascitesSuzanne Sargent
Institute of Liver Studies, King s College Hospital, London
Br J Nurs 15:212-9. 2006..In recent years, however, there have been several advances in the management of ascites. This article will discuss both the pathophysiology, and the current medical, surgical and nursing management of this condition...
- Towards goal-directed therapy of hepatorenal syndrome: we have the tools but we need the trialsRajeshwar P Mookerjee
Liver Failure Group, Institute of Hepatology, 69 75 Chenies Mews, London WC1E 6HX, UK
Crit Care 12:119. 2008Patients with cirrhosis who develop tense ascites and hepatorenal syndrome have a very high mortality and present a management challenge...
- PREDICTING AND IMPROVING OUTCOMES IN ACUTE RENAL FAILURERavindra Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2001..It is anticipated (by the applicants) that information gained from this study, being largely observational, will be used to rationally design intervention strategies in future years. ..
- Regulation of Renal Cortical Adenosine LevelsEdwin Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2007..identify a novel pathway by which the pancreas and liver regulate renal cortical interstitial levels of adenosine and may reveal important mechanistic insights into diseases such as the hepatorenal syndrome and the metabolic syndrome X.
- Regulation of Renal Cortical Adenosine LevelsEdwin Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2009..identify a novel pathway by which the pancreas and liver regulate renal cortical interstitial levels of adenosine and may reveal important mechanistic insights into diseases such as the hepatorenal syndrome and the metabolic syndrome X.
- Terlipressin in Hepatorenal Syndrome Type 1PETER TEUBER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Phase 3 Study of Intravenous Terlipressin in Patients with Hepatorenal Syndrome (HRS) Type 1...
- STRUCTURAL IDENTIFICATION OF PROSTAGLANDIN CONJUGATESL Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we will test the hypothesis that free radicals and IsoPs play an important role in the renal failure that ensues in glactosamine treated rats, an animal model of the hepatorenal syndrome.
- CIRRHOSIS AND ITS COMPLICATIONSGuadalupe Garcia Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Renewal of the award will allow Dr. Garcia-Tsao to maintain both POR and her mentoring endeavors to their fullest extent so she can continue to make significant contributions in the field of chronic liver disease and its complications. ..
- Training Grant in Digestive Diseases and Liver DiseasesArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The need for research training, the strong record and continued research strengths of this program for the basis for this application for renewal of this T-32 Training Grant. ..
- Biliary Microlithiasis in Alcohol Induced PancreatitisArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..The long-term goal is to use data from this R21 proposal to develop a RO1 proposal about a large scale phase III clinical trial of UDCA for alcohol-induced pancreatitis. ..
- Studies of Mechanisms and Treatment of Liver DiseasesArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Much progress has been made and supports the hypothesis. The institutional environment and facilities/resources are excellent for career development in academic medicine. ..
- FACTORS IN THE PREVENTION OF TOXIC LIVER INJURYThomas Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2003..How phenobarbital selectively stabilizes mRNA in perivenous hepatocytes will be examined further. ..
- FACTORS IN THE PREVENTION OF TOXIC LIVER INJURYThomas Boyer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The studies will clarify why expression of certain proteins fall during the acute phase response. ..
- CLINICAL STUDIES OF NONALCOHOLIC STEATOHEPATITISArun Sanyal; Fiscal Year: 2007..A prospective, randomized short-term ( 1 year duration) clinical trial to test this hypothesis is proposed. The primary endpoint is the necro-inflammatory grade. Both studies will require participation of the network. ..
- Digoxin Chiral Isolates as Improved PharmaceuticalsJohn Somberg; Fiscal Year: 2005..The advantage would be a treatment for AF that did not cause cardiac augmentation and vasoconstriction or a treatment for CHF that does not cause heart rate slowing or conduction disturbances. ..
- Pheresis Treatment of Bioterrorism-Induced SepsisStephen Ash; Fiscal Year: 2005..The safety systems of the existing PF system will be modified to meet the needs of the stand-alone system. Finally, an animal model of sepsis will be used to check efficacy and safety of the entire system. ..
- CLINICAL RESEARCH ENHANCEMENT FROM SUPPLEMENTAL TRAININGRavindra Mehta; Fiscal Year: 2007..IOur goal is to ensure that scholars emerging from this program will have the fundamental skills Inecessary for independent clinical research. ..
- MethLock vs. heparin as dialysis catheter lockStephen Ash; Fiscal Year: 2007..In Phase II we will implement the protocol in a number of dialysis centers and complete the study as originally proposed or as modified after Phase I. ..
- CLINICAL OUTCOMES IN ELDERLY HIV PATIENTSKelly Gebo; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- CLINICAL OUTCOMES IN ELDERLY HIV PATIENTSKelly Gebo; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- IMPROVING HEALTH CARE UTILIZATION IN HIV+ DRUG USERSKelly Gebo; Fiscal Year: 2005..Gebo the skills she needs to develop into an independent clinician researcher in HIV epidemiologic and health services research. ..