Genomes and Genes
Summary: Chronic delayed gastric emptying. Gastroparesis may be caused by motor dysfunction or paralysis of STOMACH muscles or may be associated with other systemic diseases such as DIABETES MELLITUS.
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- Clinical features of idiopathic gastroparesis vary with sex, body mass, symptom onset, delay in gastric emptying, and gastroparesis severityHenry P Parkman
Gastroenterology Section, Temple University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Gastroenterology 140:101-15. 2011Idiopathic gastroparesis (IG) is a common but poorly understood condition with significant morbidity...
- Reduced stem cell factor links smooth myopathy and loss of interstitial cells of cajal in murine diabetic gastroparesisViktor J Horváth
Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada, USA
Gastroenterology 130:759-70. 2006Diabetic gastroparesis involves neuropathy, myopathy, and depletion of interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC), which may cause dysrhythmias and impaired neural control...
- Epidemiology, mechanisms, and management of diabetic gastroparesisMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:5-12; quiz e7. 2011Recent evidence of the significant impact of gastroparesis on morbidity and mortality mandates optimized management of this condition...
- Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index (GCSI): development and validation of a patient reported assessment of severity of gastroparesis symptomsDennis A Revicki
Center for Health Outcomes Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Qual Life Res 13:833-44. 2004Patient-rated symptom assessments are needed for evaluating the effectiveness of medical treatments and for monitoring outcomes in gastroparesis.
- Gastric neuromuscular pathology in gastroparesis: analysis of full-thickness antral biopsiesJustin Harberson
Gastrointestinal Section, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Parkinson Pavilion, 8th Floor, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 55:359-70. 2010Pathologic assessment of gastric tissue in patients with gastroparesis is limited. Aims To evaluate gastric histopathology in patients with gastroparesis.
- The incidence, prevalence, and outcomes of patients with gastroparesis in Olmsted County, Minnesota, from 1996 to 2006Hye Kyung Jung
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Gastroenterology 136:1225-33. 2009The epidemiology of gastroparesis is unknown. We aimed to determine the incidence, prevalence, and outcome of gastroparesis in the community.
- Gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia: excerpts from the AGA/ANMS meetingH P Parkman
Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:113-33. 2010Despite the relatively high prevalence of gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia, the aetiology and pathophysiology of these disorders remain incompletely understood...
- Cellular changes in diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesisMadhusudan Grover
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Gastroenterology 140:1575-85.e8. 2011Cellular changes associated with diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesis are not well described...
- Severe idiopathic gastroparesis due to neuronal and interstitial cells of Cajal degeneration: pathological findings and managementN Zarate
Digestive System Research Unit, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Gut 52:966-70. 2003..In the absence of an identified cause, gastroparesis is labelled as idiopathic. We present the case of a patient with severe idiopathic gastroparesis...
- Platelet-derived growth factor receptor α (PDGFRα)-expressing "fibroblast-like cells" in diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesis of humansM Grover
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:844-52. 2012..The aims of this study were to determine the morphology and distribution of PDGFRα-immunoreactive (ir) FLC in human gastric muscle and to determine if FLC are altered in gastroparesis, where ICC are reduced.
- Gastric electrical stimulation with Enterra therapy improves symptoms from diabetic gastroparesis in a prospective studyRichard W McCallum
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:947-54; quiz e116. 2010Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) treats refractory gastroparesis by delivering electric current, via electrodes, to gastric smooth muscle...
- Gastric electrical stimulation improves outcomes of patients with gastroparesis for up to 10 yearsRichard W McCallum
Department of Internal Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, El Paso, Texas 79905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:314-319.e1. 2011We assessed the long-term clinical outcomes of gastric electrical stimulation (GES) therapy with Enterra (Enterra Therapy System; Medtronic, Minneapolis, MN) in a large cohort of patients with severe gastroparesis.
- Diabetic gastroparesis: what we have learned and had to unlearn in the past 5 yearsPurna Kashyap
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering and Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gut 59:1716-26. 2010Diabetic gastroparesis is a disorder that occurs in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It is associated with considerable morbidity among these patients and with the resultant economic burden on the health system...
- Similarities and differences between diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesisHenry P Parkman
Temple University, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:1056-64; quiz e133-4. 2011b>Gastroparesis can be diabetic or idiopathic, yet little is known about differences in their presentation...
- Altered expression of Ano1 variants in human diabetic gastroparesisAmelia Mazzone
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 286:13393-403. 2011..gastrointestinal pacemaker cells, underlie a number of gastrointestinal motility disorders, including diabetic gastroparesis. In the muscle layers, ICC selectively express Ano1, thought to underlie classical Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) ..
- Methods of gastric electrical stimulation and pacing: a review of their benefits and mechanisms of action in gastroparesis and obesityW L Hasler
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:229-43. 2009..gastric electrical activity, eliciting propagating contractions and reducing symptomatology in patients with gastroparesis and reducing appetite and food intake in individuals with morbid obesity...
- Prevalence of gastroparesis in type 1 diabetes mellitus and its relationship to dyspeptic symptomsCatalin Sfarti
University of Medicine and Pharmacy Gr T Popa, Iasi, Romania
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 19:279-84. 2010b>Gastroparesis and/or dyspeptic symptoms occur in around 50% of type 1 diabetic patients...
- Heme oxygenase-1 protects interstitial cells of Cajal from oxidative stress and reverses diabetic gastroparesisKyoung Moo Choi
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 135:2055-64, 2064.e1-2. 2008Diabetic gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) is a well-recognized complication of diabetes that causes considerable morbidity and makes glucose control difficult...
- Safety and efficacy of ghrelin agonist TZP-101 in relieving symptoms in patients with diabetic gastroparesis: a randomized, placebo-controlled studyN Ejskjaer
Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:1069-e281. 2010b>Gastroparesis, a chronic disorder of abnormal gastric motility, is common in patients with diabetes mellitus. A synthetic, selective ghrelin receptor agonist, TZP-101, is in clinical development for treatment of gastroparesis...
- Temporary gastric electrical stimulation with orally or PEG-placed electrodes in patients with drug refractory gastroparesisSrinivasa Ayinala
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 N State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 61:455-61. 2005Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) has been shown to be efficacious for drug refractory gastroparesis, but GES requires surgery...
- Randomised clinical trial: ghrelin agonist TZP-101 relieves gastroparesis associated with severe nausea and vomiting--randomised clinical study subset dataJ M Wo
Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 33:679-88. 2011Limited therapeutic options exist for severe gastroparesis, where severe nausea and vomiting can lead to weight loss, dehydration and malnutrition due to inadequate caloric and fluid intake...
- Clinical guideline: management of gastroparesisMichael Camilleri
Department of Gastroenterology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 108:18-37; quiz 38. 2013This guideline presents recommendations for the evaluation and management of patients with gastroparesis. Gastroparesis is identified in clinical practice through the recognition of the clinical symptoms and documentation of delayed ..
- Factors related to abdominal pain in gastroparesis: contrast to patients with predominant nausea and vomitingW L Hasler
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 25:427-38, e300-1. 2013Factors associated with abdominal pain in gastroparesis are incompletely evaluated and comparisons of pain vs other symptoms are limited...
- Risk of gastroparesis in subjects with type 1 and 2 diabetes in the general populationRok Seon Choung
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 107:82-8. 2012In patients with diabetes mellitus (DM) and upper gastrointestinal symptoms, a diagnosis of diabetic gastroparesis is often considered, but population-based data on the epidemiology of diabetic gastroparesis are lacking...
- Evaluating symptom outcomes in gastroparesis clinical trials: validity and responsiveness of the Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index-Daily Diary (GCSI-DD)D A Revicki
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:456-63, e215-6. 2012Patient-reported symptom scales are needed to evaluate treatments for gastroparesis. The Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index-Daily Diary (GCSI-DD) was developed to assess daily symptoms of gastroparesis...
- Abnormal initiation and conduction of slow-wave activity in gastroparesis, defined by high-resolution electrical mappingGregory O'Grady
Department of Surgery, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Gastroenterology 143:589-98.e1-3. 2012..Disrupted ICC networks and gastric dysrhythmias are each associated with gastroparesis. However, there are no data on the initiation and propagation of slow waves in gastroparesis because research ..
- Functional dyspepsia: mechanisms of symptom generation and appropriate management of patientsMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Group, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Charlton 8 110, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:649-64, xi-x. 2007..To achieve greater therapeutic efficacy, it may be necessary to target the therapeutic approach to a specific pathophysiology, such as impaired gastric emptying...
- Treatment of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesisHuikuan Chu
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 27:1017-26. 2012The aim of this study was to assess the effects of gastric electrical stimulation (GES) on symptoms and gastric emptying in patients with gastroparesis, and the effects of GES on the three subgroups of gastroparesis.
- Carbon monoxide reverses diabetic gastroparesis in NOD micePurna C Kashyap
Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester MN 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G1013-9. 2010Diabetic gastroparesis is associated with increased oxidative stress attributable to loss of upregulation of heme oxygenase-1 (HO1), with resultant damage to interstitial cells of Cajal and delayed gastric emptying...
- Gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis improves nutritional parameters at short, intermediate, and long-term follow-upThomas Abell
Division of Digestive Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 27:277-81. 2003..depletion, either macronutrient- or micronutrient-related, is common in patients with drug-refractory gastroparesis (GP) for which there is often no effective treatment...
- Generalized transit delay on wireless motility capsule testing in patients with clinical suspicion of gastroparesis, small intestinal dysmotility, or slow transit constipationBraden Kuo
Division of Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:2928-38. 2011The prevalence of generalized transit delay and relation to symptoms in suspected gastroparesis, intestinal dysmotility, or slow transit constipation are unknown.
- Advances in diabetic gastroparesisMichael Camilleri
Gastroenterology Research Unit, Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN, USA
Rev Gastroenterol Disord 2:47-56. 2002This review addresses the advances in our understanding of the epidemiology and mechanisms in diabetic gastroparesis and dyspepsia...
- Malignant gastroparesis: pathogenesis and management of an underrecognized disorderKavitha R Donthireddy
Department of Medicine and Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
J Support Oncol 5:355-63. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a disorder of the stomach caused by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of mechanical obstruction. Symptoms of gastroparesis include nausea, vomiting, early satiety, bloating, and abdominal discomfort...
- Development and validation of a patient-assessed gastroparesis symptom severity measure: the Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom IndexD A Revicki
Center for Health Outcomes Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18:141-50. 2003Patient-based symptom assessments are necessary to evaluate the effectiveness of medical treatments for gastroparesis.
- A new tactic to treat postprandial hyperlipidemia in diabetic rats with gastroparesis by improving gastrointestinal transitWeidong Xie
Institute of Medicinal Plant, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100094, China
Eur J Pharmacol 510:113-20. 2005..transit was thought to be a new tactic to treat postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in diabetic individuals with gastroparesis. Diabetic gastroparesis, lipid load testing, and the effect of domperidone or aqueous extract of rhizomes of ..
- Absence of the interstitial cells of Cajal in patients with gastroparesis and correlation with clinical findingsJameson Forster
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastrointestinal Motility, Surgery, and Pathology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160 7309, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 9:102-8. 2005..The role of these cells in gastroparesis has not been established...
- Mirtazapine for severe gastroparesis unresponsive to conventional prokinetic treatmentSung Wan Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Chonnam National Univ Hospital, 8 Hak Dong, Dong Ku, Kwangju 501 757, Republic of Korea
Psychosomatics 47:440-2. 2006b>Gastroparesis is a condition of abnormal gastric motility characterized by delayed gastric emptying without evidence of mechanical outlet obstruction...
- Gastric electrical stimulation for medically refractory gastroparesisThomas Abell
University of Mississippi, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Gastroenterology 125:421-8. 2003This study investigated the efficacy of gastric electrical stimulation for the treatment of symptomatic gastroparesis unresponsive to standard medical therapy.
- CD206-positive M2 macrophages that express heme oxygenase-1 protect against diabetic gastroparesis in miceKyoung Moo Choi
Enteric Neuroscience Program and Department of Physiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Gastroenterology 138:2399-409, 2409.e1. 2010b>Gastroparesis is a well-recognized complication of diabetes. In diabetics, up-regulation of heme oxygenase-1 (HO1) in gastric macrophages protects against oxidative stress-induced damage...
- Treatment of diabetic gastroparesis by high-frequency gastric electrical stimulationZhiyue Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Diabetes Care 27:1071-6. 2004To investigate the long-term efficacy of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation (GES) for treating diabetic gastroparesis.
- Treatment of gastroparesis: a multidisciplinary clinical reviewT L Abell
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:263-83. 2006This clinical review on the treatment of patients with gastroparesis is a consensus document developed by the American Motility Society Task Force on Gastroparesis...
- Changes in the gastric enteric nervous system and muscle: a case report on two patients with diabetic gastroparesisPankaj J Pasricha
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 8:21. 2008The pathophysiological basis of diabetic gastroparesis is poorly understood, in large part due to the almost complete lack of data on neuropathological and molecular changes in the stomachs of patients...
- Clinical response to gastric electrical stimulation in patients with postsurgical gastroparesisRichard McCallum
Department of Medicine, Mail Stop 1058, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:49-54. 2005The aim of this study was to report the long-term clinical response to high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation (GES) in 16 patients with postsurgical gastroparesis who failed standard medical therapy.
- Symptom responses, long-term outcomes and adverse events beyond 3 years of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesisZ Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, 66160, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:18-27. 2006..5 to 7.9% at 3 years. We conclude that a significant improvement in symptoms and all measures of clinical outcome can be maintained for greater than 3 years with GES in patients with refractory gastroparesis.
- Gastroparesis: symptoms, evaluation, and treatmentWilliam L Hasler
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan Hospital, 3912 Taubman Center, Box 0362, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:619-47, ix. 2007b>Gastroparesis presents with gastrointestinal symptoms and nongastrointestinal manifestations in association with objective delays in gastric emptying. The condition may complicate several systemic disorders or may be idiopathic in nature...
- Gastroparesis-related hospitalizations in the United States: trends, characteristics, and outcomes, 1995-2004Yize R Wang
Gastrointestinal Section, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 103:313-22. 2008b>Gastroparesis is an increasingly recognized disorder. Its prevalence in the United States is unknown. We examined the trends, characteristics, and outcomes of gastroparesis-related hospitalizations during 1995-2004.
- Clinical trial: effect of mitemcinal (a motilin agonist) on gastric emptying in patients with gastroparesis - a randomized, multicentre, placebo-controlled studyR W McCallum
Center for GI Nerve and Muscle Function, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1121-30. 2007..Mitemcinal is an orally active motilin agonist that could potentially improve gastric emptying...
- Predictive factors for clinical improvement with Enterra gastric electric stimulation treatment for refractory gastroparesisJennifer L Maranki
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Section, Temple University School of Medicine, Parkinson Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:2072-8. 2008The objectives of this study were to determine the clinical response to Enterra gastric electric stimulation (GES) in patients with refractory gastroparesis and to determine factors associated with a favorable response.
- Effect of electrical stimulation on acupuncture points in diabetic patients with gastric dysrhythmia: a pilot studyC S Chang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, 160, Sec 3, Chung Kang Road, Taichung 407, Taiwan
Digestion 64:184-90. 2001Abnormal gastric slow-wave frequencies have been observed in diabetic gastroparesis and are associated with impaired antral motor activity...
- Dyspepsia and gastroparesis in chronic renal failure: the role of Helicobacter pyloriR Schoonjans
Department of Intemal Medicine, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Clin Nephrol 57:201-7. 2002....
- Upper abdominal symptoms in patients with Type 1 diabetes: unrelated to impairment in gastric emptying caused by autonomic neuropathyJ Punkkinen
Department of Gastroenterology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Diabet Med 25:570-7. 2008Diabetic gastroparesis is a common condition occurring in some 30-50% of patients with long-term diabetes. Some studies have found a relationship between autonomic neuropathy and diabetic gastroparesis...
- Gastric pacing is a new surgical treatment for gastroparesisJ Forster
Department of Surgery, Kansas University Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160 7309, USA
Am J Surg 182:676-81. 2001b>Gastroparesis is a chronic gastric motility disorder affecting mostly young and middle-aged women who present with nausea, abdominal pain, early satiety, vomiting, fullness, and bloating.
- The effect of sildenafil on gastric emptying in patients with end-stage renal failure and symptoms of gastroparesisV Dishy
Division of Nephrology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin 70300, Israel
Clin Pharmacol Ther 76:281-6. 2004..The aim of our study was to examine the hypothesis that sildenafil may improve gastric emptying in patients with ESRF and symptoms of gastric paresis...
- Pyloric sphincter dysfunction in nNOS-/- and W/Wv mutant mice: animal models of gastroparesis and duodenogastric refluxDigavalli V Sivarao
Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Center for Swallowing and Motility Disorders, West Roxbury, Massachusetts 02132, USA
Gastroenterology 135:1258-66. 2008..Nitrergic nerves and interstitial cells of Cajal (ICC) have been implicated in the regulation of pyloric motility. The purpose of these studies was to define their roles in pyloric function in vivo...
- Therapeutic effects of ghrelin and growth hormone releasing peptide 6 on gastroparesis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic guinea pigs in vivo and in vitroWen Cai Qiu
Department of General Surgery, Sixth Hospital Affiliated to Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 121:1183-8. 2008Diabetic gastroparesis is a disabling condition with no consistently effective treatment. In normal animals, both ghrelin and its synthetic peptide, growth hormone releasing peptide 6 (GHRP-6), increase gastric emptying...
- Obesity and symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis in patients with type 2 diabetes and neuropathyMona Boaz
Epidemiology and Research Unit, E Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
J Diabetes Complications 25:325-8. 2011Associated with neuropathy, symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis are common in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and include nausea, vomiting, bloating and early satiety...
- The relation between symptom improvement and gastric emptying in the treatment of diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesisPieter Janssen
Translational Research Center for Gastrointestinal Disorders, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Am J Gastroenterol 108:1382-91. 2013..and acceleration of gastric emptying (GE) for different drugs used in the treatment of idiopathic and diabetic gastroparesis is uncertain...
- A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesisChung Pang Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung City, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Altern Complement Med 14:833-9. 2008The current pharmacological management of diabetic gastroparesis remains difficult. Acupuncture has been widely used for gastrointestinal symptoms...
- Gastric electrical stimulation is an effective and safe treatment for medically refractory gastroparesisDaniel McKenna
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
Surgery 144:566-72; discussion 572-4. 2008b>Gastroparesis is characterized by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of obstruction. Common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain...
- The role of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy in patients with diabetic gastroparesisD Sharma
The Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street, Liverpool, L7 8XP, UK
Diabetologia 54:2768-70. 2011To describe the effectiveness of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) in patients with symptomatic diabetic gastroparesis and unstable glycaemic control.
- Evaluation of the International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery definition of delayed gastric emptying after pancreatoduodenectomy in a high-volume centreT Welsch
Department of General, Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Br J Surg 97:1043-50. 2010..Delayed gastric emptying (DGE) is a common complication after pancreatoduodenectomy. The International Study Group of Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS) definition of DGE has not been evaluated and validated in a high-volume centre...
- Pathophysiology and management of gastroparesisJoan Khoo
Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia, Australia
Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:167-81. 2009b>Gastroparesis is characterized by upper gastrointestinal symptoms associated with delayed gastric emptying, without mechanical obstruction. However, symptoms do not correlate well with the magnitude of delay in gastric emptying...
- A novel classification scheme for gastroparesis based on predominant-symptom presentationSteven P Harrell
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:455-9. 2008Symptoms of gastroparesis are very diverse. Classifying patients by predominant symptom may improve management strategy.
- Long-term outcome after gastrectomy for intractable diabetic gastroparesisP J Watkins
King s Diabetes Centre, King s College Hospital, London, UK
Diabet Med 20:58-63. 2003To examine the long-term outlook for patients with intractable vomiting from diabetic gastroparesis who underwent major gastric surgery.
- Incidence and risk factors for postsurgical gastroparesis syndrome after laparoscopic and open radical gastrectomyHongbo Meng
Department of General Surgery, Tenth People s Hospital of Tongji University, Shanghai 200072, China
World J Surg Oncol 11:144. 2013The aim of this study was to investigate the differences and influencing factors for postsurgical gastroparesis syndrome incidence after laparoscopic and open radical gastrectomy.
- Prevalence of symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis in a cohort of patients with diabetes mellitusRam Dickman
Department of Gastroenterology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petach Tikva, Israel
J Diabetes Complications 27:376-9. 2013To estimate the prevalence of symptoms suggestive of gastroparesis and their association to clinical and demographic data in a large population of patients with diabetes mellitus and in the general population in Israel.
- Diabetic gastroparesis: recent insights into pathophysiology and implications for managementSony S Thazhath
Discipline of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide 5000, Australia Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Nutritional Physiology, Interventions and Outcomes, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 7:127-39. 2013..have recently been gained by the systematic analysis of gastric biopsies from patients with severe diabetic gastroparesis, which may stimulate the development of new therapies in the coming decade...
- Gender bias in gastroparesis: is nitric oxide the answer?P R R Gangula
Department of Physiology, Center for Women s Health Research, Meharry Medical College, 1005 Dr D B Todd Jr Blvd, Nashville, TN 37208, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:2520-7. 2011..Women are more susceptible to gastroparesis than men...
- High-resolution entrainment mapping of gastric pacing: a new analytical toolGregory O'Grady
Department of Surgery, and Auckland Bioengineering Institute, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 298:G314-21. 2010Gastric pacing has been investigated as a potential treatment for gastroparesis. New pacing protocols are required to improve symptom and motility outcomes; however, research progress has been constrained by a limited understanding of ..
- Pathophysiology and pharmacotherapy of gastroparesis: current and future perspectivesJulie E Stevens
University of South Australia, School of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, Adelaide, Australia
Expert Opin Pharmacother 14:1171-86. 2013b>Gastroparesis is an important clinical disorder characterised by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of mechanical outlet obstruction. Idiopathic, diabetes and postsurgical causes represent the most common aetiologies...
- A double-masked, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of temporary endoscopic mucosal gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesisThomas L Abell
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 74:496-503.e3. 2011Endoscopically placed, temporary gastric electrical stimulation (tGES) may relieve symptoms of gastroparesis (Gp) and predict permanent gastric electrical stimulation (GES) outcomes.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic approach to pancreatic cancer-associated gastroparesis: literature review and our experienceJohn Leung
Gastroenterology, Internal Medicine, Tufts Medical Center, 800 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Dig Dis Sci 54:401-5. 2009..This condition is well described in the literature and is thought to result from pancreatic cancer-associated gastroparesis (PCAG). No clinical guideline is available for diagnosing and managing this rare disease.
- [Diabetic gastroparesis]M P Stassen
Clinique A Renard, Herstal
Rev Med Liege 60:509-15. 2005Diabetic gastroparesis corresponds to symptomatic as well as asymptomatic gastric retention without organic abnormality of stomach, pylorus or gut...
- [New therapeutic approaches to diabetic gastroparesis]Michael Hummel
Klinik fur Endokrinologie, Diabetologie und Suchtmedizin, Klinikum Schwabing, Städt Klinikum München GmbH and Institut für Diabetesforschung, Munchen
Med Klin (Munich) 103:514-8. 2008..PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: A 24-year-old man with type 1 diabetes, nonresponding to standard treatment for severe gastroparesis, was admitted to hospital due to persisting nausea and vomiting...
- Impact of anastomotic complications on outcome after laparoscopic gastrectomy for early gastric cancerY Nagasako
Department of Surgery, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake, Aichi, Japan
Br J Surg 99:849-54. 2012..The aims of this observational study were to identify potential factors that predict anastomotic complications and investigate the impact of anastomotic complications in patients undergoing gastrectomy for early gastric cancer...
- Severe gastroparesis: new treatment alternativesHasse Abrahamsson
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 21:645-55. 2007..and the motilin receptor agonist erythromycin have been the cornerstones in drug treatment of severe gastroparesis for more than a decade. No new drugs have been approved for treatment of this disorder in this period...
- Severe paraneoplastic gastroparesis associated with anti-Hu antibodies preceding the manifestation of small-cell lung cancerM Nguyen-Tat
Department of Internal Medicine II, HSK Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 46:274-8. 2008b>Gastroparesis is a common but challenging disorder which can be idiopathic or induced by a variety of underlying diseases, most frequently by diabetes, or post-surgical conditions of the upper abdomen...
- The assessment of regional gut transit times in healthy controls and patients with gastroparesis using wireless motility technologyI Sarosiek
Center for Gastrointestinal Nerve and Muscle Function and GI Motility, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 31:313-22. 2010..Wireless pH and pressure motility capsule (wireless motility capsule) technology provides a method to assess regional gastrointestinal transit times...
- Two-channel gastric pacing in patients with diabetic gastroparesisZhiyue Lin
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 23:912-e396. 2011..were to investigate the effects of two-channel gastric pacing on gastric myoelectrical activity, and energy consumption with the secondary intent to monitor gastric emptying and symptoms in patients with severe diabetic gastroparesis.
- Video: temporary gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis: endoscopic placement of electrodes (ENDOstim)Sumanth R Daram
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Surg Endosc 25:3444-5. 2011..electrical stimulation (GES) to be an effective management strategy for patients with medication refractory gastroparesis. However, placement of a permanent GES device requires surgery and has considerable cost considerations...
- Ultrastructural differences between diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesisMaria Simonetta Faussone-Pellegrini
University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Cell Mol Med 16:1573-81. 2012The ultrastructural changes in diabetic and idiopathic gastroparesis are not well studied and it is not known whether there are different defects in the two disorders...
- Delayed radionucleotide gastric emptying studies predict morbidity in diabetics with symptoms of gastroparesisBrian Hyett
Division of Gastroenterology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Gastroenterology 137:445-52. 2009The aim of this study was to evaluate the prognostic value of gastric emptying studies on the morbidity associated with diabetic gastroparesis.
- Clinical-histological associations in gastroparesis: results from the Gastroparesis Clinical Research ConsortiumM Grover
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 24:531-9, e249. 2012Cellular changes associated with diabetic (DG) and idiopathic gastroparesis (IG) have recently been described from patients enrolled in the Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium...
- Clinical effects of STW 5 (Iberogast) are not based on acceleration of gastric emptying in patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesisB Braden
Medical Department I, Hospital of the J W Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:632-8, e25. 2009..study addressed the question of whether STW 5 accelerates gastric emptying in patients with FD and gastroparesis. One-hundred and three patients diagnosed with FD were randomly assigned to a treatment with either STW 5 or a ..
- Domperidone treatment for gastroparesis: demographic and pharmacogenetic characterization of clinical efficacy and side-effectsHenry P Parkman
Gastroenterology Section, School of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Parkinson Pavilion, 8th Floor, 3401 North Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 56:115-24. 2011Domperidone is a useful alternative to metoclopramide for treatment of gastroparesis due to better tolerability...
- Further experience with gastric stimulation to treat drug refractory gastroparesisJameson Forster
Department of Surgery, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7309, USA
Am J Surg 186:690-5. 2003Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) has been introduced for patients with gastroparesis refractory to pharmacological therapy.
- Gastroparesis in patients with inactive Crohn's disease: a case seriesJón O Kristinsson
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Radboud University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
BMC Gastroenterol 7:11. 2007..The aim of this case series was to evaluate clinical characteristics of 5 patients with inflammatory bowel disease and symptoms and signs of upper gut dysmotility...
- Autonomic dysfunction and gastroparesis in cirrhosisG Nicholas Verne
Divisions of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, University of Florida, Malcom Randall VAMC, 1601 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32608, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:72-6. 2004..The cause of these motility disorders in cirrhotics is unknown, however, underlying autonomic dysfunction may play a role...
- Pilot study on gastric electrical stimulation on surgery-associated gastroparesis: long-term outcomeBenton Oubre
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, USA
South Med J 98:693-7. 2005Patients with postgastric surgery gastroparesis are often unresponsive to conventional medical therapy...
- Gastroparesis: current diagnostic challenges and management considerationsShamaila Waseem
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
World J Gastroenterol 15:25-37. 2009b>Gastroparesis refers to abnormal gastric motility characterized by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of mechanical obstruction. The most common etiologies include diabetes, post-surgical and idiopathic...
- Small case series of gastric stimulation for the management of transplant-induced gastroparesisLori A Filichia
Department of Surgery, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0286, USA
J Surg Res 148:90-3. 2008b>Gastroparesis is a recognized complication following organ transplantation with incidences reported between 24 and 83%...
- Small cell lung cancer with positive anti-Hu antibodies presenting as gastroparesisDavid N Moskovitz
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto and University Health Network and Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 16:171-4. 2002..A case of SCLC with positive anti-Hu antibodies presenting with intestinal pseudo-obstruction is presented. Gastrointestinal dysmotility as a manifestation of paraneoplastic syndrome is reviewed...
- Malignant gastroparesis: diagnostics and therapeuticsSatish Nagula
Gastroenterology and Nutrition Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Support Oncol 5:366-7. 2007
- Refractory gastroparesis after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: surgical treatment with implantable pacemakerJ R Salameh
Department of Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 11:1669-72. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a rare complication of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. We evaluate the role of gastric electrical stimulation in medically refractory gastroparesis.
- Gastric electrical stimulation with parameters for gastroparesis enhances gastric accommodation and alleviates distention-induced symptoms in dogsJ H Xing
Veterans Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:2160-4. 2006Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) improves symptoms in patients with gastroparesis. We sought to determine if stimulation at fundus with parameters used for gastroparesis could affect gastric accommodation and distention-induced ..
- Abnormal ghrelin and pancreatic polypeptide responses in gastroparesisKishore V Gaddipati
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:1339-46. 2006Vagal nerve dysfunction has been implicated in the pathogenesis of diabetic gastroparesis, but its role in idiopathic gastroparesis remains uncertain...
- Gastric electrical stimulation has an immediate antiemetic effect in patients with gastroparesisBabajide O Familoni
Department of Electrical Engineering, The University of Memphis, TN 38152, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:1038-46. 2006..Electrical stimulation has been successfully employed to treat diseases involving electro-pathology in the heart, skeletal muscles, and the brain, but not in the GI tract...
- Gastrointestinal hormonal dysfunction in gastroparesis and functional dyspepsiaJ Khoo
Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Nutritional Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:1270-8. 2010..sensory function, and appear to contribute to the pathogenesis of delayed gastric emptying associated with gastroparesis, functional dyspepsia (FD) and feed intolerance in critical illness...
- Chronic metoclopramide therapy for diabetic gastroparesisPaul F Lata
Case Management Services, Bay Area Medical Center, Marinette, WI 54143 4242, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:122-6. 2003To review the safety and efficacy of chronic metoclopramide for diabetic gastroparesis.
- Oral erythromycin and symptomatic relief of gastroparesis: a systematic reviewKalyani Maganti
Department of Internal Medicine, St Joseph s Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:259-63. 2003..in improving gastric emptying, little information exists concerning symptom improvement in patients with gastroparesis. The aim of this study was to review clinical trials of erythromycin to determine the efficacy of this agent ..
- Treatment options for patients with severe gastroparesisHasse Abrahamsson
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, S 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Gut 56:877-83. 2007
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2004In a new therapeutic approach for delayed gastric emptying and gastroparesis, Virginia Technologies, Inc...
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will study whether acupuncture shortens the period of postoperative ileus in rats. This study would provide beneficial information for patients with gastroparesis and postoperative ileus.
- Nitric Oxide and gastric motility in female diabeticsPandu R Gangula; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Gastroparesis is a disabilitating disease affecting predominantly young women. The biological basis of this disorder and its associated gender bias remains poorly understood...
- Stem cells for novel gene delivery of nitric oxide in the gutHiroshi Mashimo; Fiscal Year: 2013..NO) has been implicated in a number of gastrointestinal motility disorders including achalasia, diabetic gastroparesis, pyloric stenosis, chronic constipation, and Hirschsprung's Disease...
- Neural basis of learned food aversion and nauseaCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2009..to nausea treatment in a large number of clinical situations, including cancer chemotherapy, diabetic gastroparesis, anorexia nervosa, ischemic gastropathy, chronic intestinal obstruction, abdominal malignancy, and functional ..
- Nitrergic Neuro-smooth Muscle Transmission in the GutRaj K Goyal; Fiscal Year: 2013..Defective NO neurotransmission is also implicated in diabetic gastroparesis and functional disorders of the gut such as irritable bowel syndrome and spasm of biliary and pancreatic ..
- Interstitial Cells of Cajal in Diabetic GastropathyTAMAS ORDOG; Fiscal Year: 2013..The classic view of gastrointestinal motility disorders including diabetic gastroparesis is that they are due to impaired tissue function and degeneration of terminally differentiated cell types such ..
- Regulation of gastrointestinal neuromuscular function by NIBP/NFkB signalingWenhui Hu; Fiscal Year: 2013..in adult ENS have been associated with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), gastroparesis and chronic constipation/diarrhea...
- Ednrb Regulation of Gastrointestinal MotilityKENT CHARLES WILLIAMS; Fiscal Year: 2013..of how Ednrb signaling alters gastrointestinal smooth muscle activity could lead to potential treatments for common disorders affecting 10-30% of the US population, such as reflux, constipaiton, and gastroparesis.
- Insulin effects in the vagal complexCamille Bond Blake; Fiscal Year: 2013..of diabetes, significantly alters central vagal function and diabetics often experience gastric dysfunction, gastroparesis and other visceral symptomatology...
- VZV in the enteric nervous system: pathogenesis and consequencesMichael D Gershon; Fiscal Year: 2013..unsuspected reactivation of VZV in enteric neurons might contribute to the pathogenesis of GI disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, idiopathic gastroparesis, and chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction.
- CORRELATION BETWEEN STRUCTURAL AND MOTOR DEFECTS IN DIABETIC GASTROPARESISGrant Hennig; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Gastroparesis, or delayed gastic emptying, occurs in approximately one third of patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM)..
- Obstruction-initiated mechanotranscription in colonic smooth muscle cellsXuan Zheng Shi; Fiscal Year: 2012..mechanotranscription may also be involved in other stretch-related motility disorders such as achalasia and gastroparesis, where lack of relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter and pylorus sphincter is associated with distension ..
- Smooth muscle plasticity: A COBREKenton M Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project 1: Correlation between structural and motor defects in diabetic gastroparesis to be headed by Dr...
- Effects of hyperglycemia on gastric emptyingToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Abstract Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) occurs in the absence of mechanical obstruction. Although associated with many diseases, the most frequent cause of gastroparesis is diabetes...
- Gastroparesis Consortium Continuation and New Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Studiies Kenneth L Koch; Fiscal Year: 2013..Registry to continue to investigate the etiology, epidemiology, and morbidity and mortality associated with gastroparesis. Our center will support the Pathological Basis of Gastroparesis Study conducted by Dr...
- Advancing Science for the Diagnosis and Treatment of GastroparesisPankaj J Pasricha; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis is a disorder of gastric function characterized by delay in gastric emptying, frequently associated with chronic nausea and vomiting, early satiety, postprandial fullness, abdominal ..
- International Conference on Nausea and Vomiting 2013Bill J Yates; Fiscal Year: 2013..The conference will include five primary sessions: 1) Personalized Medicine and Genetics;2) Gastroparesis and Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome;3) Vestibular and Gastrointestinal Integration;4) Assessment and Control of ..
- Continuation of the NIDDK Gastroparesis ConsortiumIrene Sarosiek; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis (GP) is a disorder of gastric motilityfunction characterized by a delay in gastric emptying, frequently associated with chronic nausea and vomiting, early satiety, postprandial fullness,..
- Zebrafish Based Model for Gastrointenstinal PhysiologyADAM J RICH; Fiscal Year: 2010..GI dysmotility affects many patients, for example, gastroparesis occurs in ~50% of diabetic patients and is associated with ICC deficits...
- Transcutaneous electroacupuncture for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010b>Gastroparesis is a common disease defined as delayed emptying of the stomach...
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHENRY PAUL PARKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Patients with gastroparesis often suffer with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms that are not adequately treated due to both a lack of understanding of the underlying pathophysiology and lack of ..
- Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium-University of Michigan Clinical CenterWilliam L Hasler; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis is characterized by delayed gastric emptying in association with nausea, vomiting, fullness, early satiety, and pain that has devastating impacts on quality of life...
- An Implantable Pacemaker Optimized for Smooth Muscle StimulationROBERT ARTHUR ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2012..Specifically, electrical stimulation has been shown to be effective in the treatment of indications including gastroparesis and obesity and more recently, chronic constipation...
- Pathobiology of the Enteric SystemJoseph H Szurszewski; Fiscal Year: 2013..Pathobiology of Diabetic Gastroenteropathy) studies the role of HO1 in preventing the development of diabetic gastroparesis and the mechanisms that regulate HOI activity in diabetes...
- MEHARRY RCMI PROGRAM IN WOMEN'S HEALTH RESEARCHAnna Cherrie Epps; Fiscal Year: 2013..Dr. P. Gangula will continue his studies on diabetic gastroparesis, which has a 4-times greater incidence in women, and Dr. N...
- NEUROENDOCRINE ETIOLOGY OF DIABETIC GASTROPATHYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1999Clinical studies of human diabetic gastroparesis support the notion of autonomic neural dysfunction as a causative factor...
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2000..proposed commercial application: not available ..
- Dual-pulse electrical stimulation for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Gastroparesis is a common disease defined as the delayed emptying of the stomach...
- Gastroparesis Consortium Continuation-Data Coordinating CenterAynur Unalp-Arida; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal from the Johns Hopkins University is to continue as the Data Coordinating Center (DCC) of the Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium (GPCRC) to support the clinical centers as they complete three treatment trials (..
- Continuation: UMMC's Clinical Center in NIDDK's Gastroparesis ResearchTHOMAS LYMAN ABELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..of Mississippi Medical Center proposes to continue its participation as a Clinical Center in NIDDK's Gastroparesis Clinical Research Consortium...
- BIOMAGNETIC CHARACTERIZATION OF GASTRIC DYSRHYTHMIASLEONARD A BRADSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have shown that MGG propagation characteristics differ when comparing normal subjects with gastroparesis patients...
- Novel Evaluation & Treatment of Gastric DysmotilityHENRY PAUL PARKMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010Gastric dysmotility is relevant in several clinical disorders including gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia...
- NOVEL ERYTHROMYCIN ANALOGS FOR GI MOTILITY DISORDERSChristopher Carreras; Fiscal Year: 2000..for the treatment of gastrointestinal motility disorders such as gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD), gastroparesis, postoperative ileus, scleroderma, gallstones, and as a quick and effective drug to stimulate stomach emptying ..
- NON-INVASIVE BREATH TEST FOR MEASURING GASTRIC EMPTYINGKEITH GOODMAN; Fiscal Year: 2000..The test will be used to identify patients with gastroparesis (impaired gastric emptying) and monitor the effectiveness of their treatment...
- VAGAL GASTRIC MOTOR CONTROL IN MICEELITA PARTOSEOEDARSO; Fiscal Year: 2002..from the Applicant's Abstract): Impairment of gastric adaptive relaxation reflexes is an underlying cause of gastroparesis. It may also contribute to gastroesphageal reflux disease and metaplasia (Barretts)...
- Acquisition of a Hybrid LC/MS/MS to Enhance Research in NevadaDavid Quilici; Fiscal Year: 2009..This research includes: 1) Smooth muscle physiology looking at diabetic gastroparesis, ulcerative colitis, Cardiac disease and Muscular Dystrophy 2) Neuronal growth and Neuron reproducibility 3) ..
- Treatment of diabetic gastroparesis with nitric oxideRobert Raulli; Fiscal Year: 2007..will establish proof of concept for the use of nitric oxide (NO) as an effective treatment for diabetic gastroparesis. The NO will be delivered using Amulet's NORTECH nitric oxide releasing technology...
- ELECTRICAL STIMULATION FOR TREATMENT OF GASTROPARESISJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 1999..stimulation and to study the efficacy and efficiency of multi-channel electrical stimulation for the treatment gastroparesis in animal models...
- Treatment of Gastroparesis with Multi-Channel PacingZhiyue Lin; Fiscal Year: 2005..and efficacy of multi-channel gastric electrical stimulation (MGS) in the treatment of patients with diabetic gastroparesis refractory to standard medical therapy...
- Synergism of prokinetics on human intestinal transitAmy Foxx Orenstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, this work should lead to novel approaches to therapies for patients with motility disorders, such as gastroparesis, slow transit constipation and pseudoobstruction for which current therapy is suboptimal.
- Motilin Receptor Agonists for Diabetic GastroperesisDavid Myles; Fiscal Year: 2005The overall goal of this Fast-Track application is to develop a therapeutic agent for the treatment of diabetic gastroparesis that can be used effectively several times a day with meals to avoid the discomfort associated with slow ..
- Combinatorial Macrolide GPCR Screening LibraryBrian Metcalf; Fiscal Year: 2001..Agonists of the Motilin receptor could be used in the attachment of gastroesophageal reflux disease and gastroparesis. Both diseases have significant markets, and development of suitable treatments would have substantial ..
- ALPHA 2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL IN IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROMEMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2008..Significance: This project will characterize pharmacogenetic mechanisms determining the response to clonidine through studies of candidate genes that control alpha2-adrenoreceptor function and norepinephrine transport in IBS. ..
- Cannabinoid Mechanisms in Human Gastrointestinal Motor and Sensory FunctionsMICHAEL L CAMILLERI; Fiscal Year: 2010..These actions may be relevant to develop new treatments for IBS. The studies will also provide further understanding of the potential of medications like medical marijuana on stomach function that may be relevant to appetite control. ..
- ALPHA-2 ADRENERGIC CONTROL OF COLONIC FUNCTION IN IBSMichael Camilleri; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- TRYPSIN, PAR-2 AND THE PAIN OF PANCREATITISPANKAJ PASRICHA; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide insight into the underlying mechanism of pancreatic pain that may eventually lead to new and more effective forms of therapy. ..
- Oral Care and Respiratory Pathogen ColonizationOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2004..Reducing respiratory pathogen colonization in the mouth could significantly reduce the morbidity and cost of VAP. ..
- Epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in diabetesDonald Bowden; Fiscal Year: 2004..Evidence for linkage to QTLs influencing CAC and IMT will be pursued in those chromosomal regions showing suggestive evidence for linkage and then performing further analyses to detect associations with these "saturation" markers. ..
- INTESTINAL SECRETION & INFLAMMATION - IMPACT OF AMMONIAJeffrey Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies highlight the importance of basolateral K+ channels in the regulation of secretion and other epithelial functions and reinforce their potential as targets for new drug design. ..
- 12th Biennial Meeting of the American Motility SocietyJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Other factors such as financial hardship and minority issues will also be considered. We plan to issue 15 Young Investigator Awards and 10 Travel Awards. ..
- Molecular genetics of glucose homeostasis and fatDonald Bowden; Fiscal Year: 2009..g. create an "ultra high density" SNP map of the associated chromosomal region. These new SNPs will be genotyped on the IRASFS DNAs to identify the trait defining alleles. ..
- PRESYNAPTIC MECHANISMS IN THE INTESTINEJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is also anticipated that these studies will identify new targets for drugs that can be used to treat GI motility disorders. ..
- SALT TRANSPORT IN SURGICAL DIARRHEAL DISEASEJeffrey Matthews; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Neurogastric electrical stimulation for treating chemotherapy-induced emesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2008..nGES) has recently been proposed and found effective in treating nausea and vomiting in patients with gastroparesis. Its central and neuronal mechanisms have recently been elucidated...
- Ethanol on Overnight Glucose Regulation in DiabetesMark Burge; Fiscal Year: 2008..These important studies will provide a scientific basis for the prevention of overnight hypoglycemia (and the attendant cost savings) by providing mechanistic insights into the causes of nocturnal hypoglycemia. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Dual Pulse Electrical Stimulation for GastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007unreadable] DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Gastroparesis is defined as delayed emptying of solids and is a common disease defined as delayed emptying of the stomach...
- Intestinal Pacing for Intestinal Pseudo-ObstructionJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feasibility of such a novel method will be tested in this Phase I project. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Clinical and Translational Science Center at the University of New MexicoMark Burge; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Experimental approaches to understanding the ENS and its disordersJames Galligan; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will help the attendees develop a network of professional contacts who can help the young investigator in the career development process. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF INTESTINAL PACING FOR OBESITYJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Quantitative Approach to Analysis of Cortical DynamicsHualou Liang; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..