Genomes and Genes
Summary: Chronic delayed gastric emptying. Gastroparesis may be caused by motor dysfunction or paralysis of STOMACH muscles or may be associated with other systemic diseases such as DIABETES MELLITUS.
Publications180 found, 100 shown here
- Synchronized gastric electrical stimulation improves delayed gastric emptying in nonobese mice with diabetic gastroparesisGeng Qing Song
Veterans Research and Education Foundation, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
J Appl Physiol 103:1560-4. 2007..of synchronized gastric electrical stimulation (SGES) on gastric emptying in nonobese mice with diabetic gastroparesis (DB-GP)...
- Gastric motilityArthi Sanjeevi
Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, Virginia 23298, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 23:625-30. 2007..the past year, emphasizing advances in understanding the motor physiology of the stomach in health and disease; noninvasive imaging technology and data on novel pharmacotherapeutics and other therapeutic interventions for gastroparesis.
- A new tactic to treat postprandial hyperlipidemia in diabetic rats with gastroparesis by improving gastrointestinal transitWeidong Xie
Institute of Medicinal Plant, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing 100094, China
Eur J Pharmacol 510:113-20. 2005..transit was thought to be a new tactic to treat postprandial hypertriglyceridemia in diabetic individuals with gastroparesis. Diabetic gastroparesis, lipid load testing, and the effect of domperidone or aqueous extract of rhizomes of ..
- Development and validation of a patient-assessed gastroparesis symptom severity measure: the Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom IndexD A Revicki
Center for Health Outcomes Research, MEDTAP International, Inc, Bethesda, MD 20814, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 18:141-50. 2003Patient-based symptom assessments are necessary to evaluate the effectiveness of medical treatments for gastroparesis.
- Heme oxygenase-1 protects interstitial cells of Cajal from oxidative stress and reverses diabetic gastroparesisKyoung Moo Choi
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 135:2055-64, 2064.e1-2. 2008Diabetic gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) is a well-recognized complication of diabetes that causes considerable morbidity and makes glucose control difficult...
- Oral erythromycin and symptomatic relief of gastroparesis: a systematic reviewKalyani Maganti
Department of Internal Medicine, St. Joseph's Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:259-63. 2003..in improving gastric emptying, little information exists concerning symptom improvement in patients with gastroparesis. The aim of this study was to review clinical trials of erythromycin to determine the efficacy of this agent ..
- Implantable gastric electrical stimulation: ready for prime time?Jieyun Yin
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas
Gastroenterology 134:665-7. 2008
- Chronic metoclopramide therapy for diabetic gastroparesisPaul F Lata
Case Management Services, Bay Area Medical Center, Marinette, WI 54143 4242, USA
Ann Pharmacother 37:122-6. 2003To review the safety and efficacy of chronic metoclopramide for diabetic gastroparesis.
- Small particle size of a solid meal increases gastric emptying and late postprandial glycaemic response in diabetic subjects with gastroparesisEva A Olausson
Diabetic Centre, Institute of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, SE 413 45 Goteborg, Sweden
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 80:231-7. 2008..emptying rate and lessens the fall in postprandial blood glucose in seven subjects with Type 1 diabetes and gastroparesis. Two solid meals of identical composition but of different particle size, with 5MBq (99m)Tc added to the meals,..
- Gastroparesis: pathogenesis, diagnosis and managementWilliam L Hasler
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Hospital, 3912 Taubman Center, Ann Arbor, MI 5362, USA
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:438-53. 2011b>Gastroparesis is a prevalent condition that produces symptoms of delayed gastric emptying in the absence of physical blockage...
- Review article: The diagnosis and management of gastroparesisJ J L Haans
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:37-46. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a disorder characterized by a delay in gastric emptying of a meal in the absence of a mechanical gastric outlet obstruction.
- Symptom responses, long-term outcomes and adverse events beyond 3 years of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesisZ Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, 66160, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:18-27. 2006..5 to 7.9% at 3 years. We conclude that a significant improvement in symptoms and all measures of clinical outcome can be maintained for greater than 3 years with GES in patients with refractory gastroparesis.
- Mirtazapine for severe gastroparesis unresponsive to conventional prokinetic treatmentSung-Wan Kim
Department of Psychiatry, Chonnam National Univ. Hospital, 8 Hak-dong, Dong-Ku, Kwangju 501-757, Republic of Korea
Psychosomatics 47:440-2. 2006b>Gastroparesis is a condition of abnormal gastric motility characterized by delayed gastric emptying without evidence of mechanical outlet obstruction...
- The treatment of diabetic gastroparesis with botulinum toxin injection of the pylorusBrian E Lacy
Marvin M Schuster Center for Digestive and Motility Disorders, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Diabetes Care 27:2341-7. 2004b>Gastroparesis is a disorder of delayed gastric emptying that is often chronic in nature. Up to 50% of type 1 diabetic subjects have symptoms of gastroparesis, which include nausea, vomiting, and early satiety...
- Clinical observation on acupuncture treatment in 35 cases of diabetic gastroparesisLing Wang
Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion, Shenzhen Municipal Hospital of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Guangdong Province 518000
J Tradit Chin Med 24:163-5. 2004In order to observe the therapeutic effects of acupuncture on diabetic gastroparesis, 80 cases were divided randomly into 3 groups...
- Clinical response to gastric electrical stimulation in patients with postsurgical gastroparesisRichard McCallum
Department of Medicine, Mail Stop 1058, University of Kansas Medical Center, 3901 Rainbow Blvd, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:49-54. 2005The aim of this study was to report the long-term clinical response to high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation (GES) in 16 patients with postsurgical gastroparesis who failed standard medical therapy.
- Treatment options for patients with severe gastroparesisHasse Abrahamsson
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, , Sweden
Gut 56:877-83. 2007
- Gastric electrical stimulation has an immediate antiemetic effect in patients with gastroparesisBabajide O Familoni
Department of Electrical Engineering, The University of Memphis, TN 38152, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:1038-46. 2006..Electrical stimulation has been successfully employed to treat diseases involving electro-pathology in the heart, skeletal muscles, and the brain, but not in the GI tract...
- Endoscopic pyloric injection of botulinum toxin A for the treatment of refractory gastroparesisMatthew Q Bromer
Section of Gastroenterology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 61:833-9. 2005..Botulinum toxin A injected into the pyloric sphincter has been reported in small case series to treat gastroparesis. This study reviews the use of this treatment in a large number of patients with gastroparesis...
- Gastric electrical stimulation: an alternative surgical therapy for patients with gastroparesisRodney J Mason
Department of Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Arch Surg 140:841-6; discussion 847-8. 2005Gastric electrical stimulation is an alternative to gastrectomy in patients with refractory gastroparesis.
- Electrical stimulation for gastroparesis. Gastric motility restoredJ de Csepel
Department of Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, 170 West 12 Street, New York, NY 10011, USA
Surg Endosc 20:302-6. 2006b>Gastroparesis is a disabling, and sometimes fatal, disease that often does not respond to medical treatment...
- Abnormal ghrelin and pancreatic polypeptide responses in gastroparesisKishore V Gaddipati
Section of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:1339-46. 2006Vagal nerve dysfunction has been implicated in the pathogenesis of diabetic gastroparesis, but its role in idiopathic gastroparesis remains uncertain...
- Diabetic gastroparesis: what we have learned and had to unlearn in the past 5 yearsPurna Kashyap
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering and Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gut 59:1716-26. 2010Diabetic gastroparesis is a disorder that occurs in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It is associated with considerable morbidity among these patients and with the resultant economic burden on the health system...
- Symptoms of gastroparesis: use of the gastroparesis cardinal symptom index in symptomatic patients referred for gastric emptying scintigraphyDaniel W Cassilly
Gastrointestinal Section, Department of Medicine, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Digestion 78:144-51. 2008The Gastroparesis Cardinal Symptom Index (GCSI) was developed to assess symptoms of gastroparesis...
- Altered expression of Ano1 variants in human diabetic gastroparesisAmelia Mazzone
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 286:13393-403. 2011..gastrointestinal pacemaker cells, underlie a number of gastrointestinal motility disorders, including diabetic gastroparesis. In the muscle layers, ICC selectively express Ano1, thought to underlie classical Ca(2+)-activated Cl(-) ..
- No ghrelin response to oral glucose in diabetes mellitus with gastroparesisShiko Asai
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology, St Marianna University School of Medicine, Kawasaki, Japan
Endocr J 56:79-87. 2009..investigate the role of ghrelin, an endogenous ligand of the growth hormone secretagogue receptor, in diabetic gastroparesis, we evaluated the plasma ghrelin profile during the oral glucose tolerance test in 55 patients with diabetes (..
- Gastrointestinal hormonal dysfunction in gastroparesis and functional dyspepsiaJ Khoo
Centre of Clinical Research Excellence in Nutritional Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Neurogastroenterol Motil 22:1270-8. 2010..sensory function, and appear to contribute to the pathogenesis of delayed gastric emptying associated with gastroparesis, functional dyspepsia (FD) and feed intolerance in critical illness...
- Effect of electrical stimulation on acupuncture points in diabetic patients with gastric dysrhythmia: a pilot studyC S Chang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, 160, Sec 3, Chung Kang Road, Taichung 407, Taiwan
Digestion 64:184-90. 2001Abnormal gastric slow-wave frequencies have been observed in diabetic gastroparesis and are associated with impaired antral motor activity...
- Central neuronal mechanisms of gastric electrical stimulation in diabetic gastroparesisJens B Frøkjaer
Center for Visceral Biomechanics and Pain, Aalborg Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:1066-75. 2008..Modulation of the central nervous system excitability may be involved. The objective of the study was to investigate the central effects of GES, including the possible modulation of the visceral sensory nervous system...
- Domperidone is more effective than cisapride in children with diabetic gastroparesisA Franzese
Department of Paediatrics, University of Naples 'Federico II, Naples, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 16:951-7. 2002..gastric emptying time and dyspeptic symptoms in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and gastroparesis. METHODS: Dyspeptic symptoms were assessed by a score system, gastric emptying time was measured by ..
- Changes in the gastric enteric nervous system and muscle: a case report on two patients with diabetic gastroparesisPankaj J Pasricha
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 8:21. 2008The pathophysiological basis of diabetic gastroparesis is poorly understood, in large part due to the almost complete lack of data on neuropathological and molecular changes in the stomachs of patients...
- Drug Insight: from disturbed motility to disordered movement--a review of the clinical benefits and medicolegal risks of metoclopramideP Jay Pasricha
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:138-48. 2006Metoclopramide, the only drug approved by the FDA for treatment of diabetic gastroparesis, but used off-label for a variety of other gastrointestinal indications, has many potentially troublesome adverse neurologic effects, particularly ..
- Ghrelin gastrokinetic action in patients with neurogenic gastroparesisM Binn
, , Canada
Peptides 27:1603-6. 2006..We aimed to verify the gastrokinetic capacity of ghrelin in human. Patients with gastroparesis attributed to a neural dysregulation by diabetes (n = 5) or surgical vagotomy (n = 1) were evaluated...
- Mechanisms of disease: the pathological basis of gastroparesis--a review of experimental and clinical studiesHarsha Vittal
Maine Medical Center, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0764, USA
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:336-46. 2007The pathogenesis of gastroparesis is complicated and poorly understood. This lack of understanding remains a major impediment to the development of effective therapies for this condition...
- Diabetic gastroparesisRobert J Heine
N Engl J Med 357:418; author reply 419-20. 2007
- American Gastroenterological Association technical review on the diagnosis and treatment of gastroparesisHenry P Parkman
Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Gastroenterology 127:1592-622. 2004..The paper was approved by the Committee on May 16, 2004, and by the AGA Governing Board on September 23, 2004...
- Gastric electrical stimulation is safe and effective: a long-term study in patients with drug-refractory gastroparesis in three regional centersCuruchi Anand
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, Ark, USA
Digestion 75:83-9. 2007Drug-refractory gastroparesis has previously been without acceptable alternative therapies. Although gastric electrical stimulation has been used for over a decade, no long-term multicenter data exist.
- Extending gastric emptying scintigraphy from two to four hours detects more patients with gastroparesisJ P Guo
Department of Internal Medicine, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 46:24-9. 2001..The aim of this study was to assess whether extending GES to 4 hr is useful in evaluating patients for gastroparesis and to correlate the results of GES with patient symptoms...
- Oesophageal dysmotility, delayed gastric emptying and gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with diabetes mellitusJ Faraj
Gastroenterology Division, Department of Clinical Sciences, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabet Med 24:1235-9. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a common gastrointestinal complication in diabetes mellitus, whereas dysfunction in the other gastrointestinal organs has been less thoroughly investigated...
- Gastroparesis is associated with oxytocin deficiency, oesophageal dysmotility with hyperCCKemia, and autonomic neuropathy with hypergastrinemiaJulia Borg
Department of Clinical Sciences, Gastroenterology Division, Malmo University Hospital, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
BMC Gastroenterol 9:17. 2009..The aim of this study was to examine if concentrations of oxytocin, cholecystokinin (CCK), gastrin and vasopressin in plasma differ between diabetics with normal function and dysfunction in GI motility...
- Diabetic gastroparesis: diagnosis and managementJing Ma
University of Adelaide Discipline of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Drugs 69:971-86. 2009..Scintigraphy represents the gold standard for measuring gastric emptying. The management of diabetic gastroparesis is less than optimal, partly because the pathogenesis has not been clearly defined...
- Gastric electrical stimulation for the treatment of gastroparesis: ready for prime time?D Ang
Digestion 75:80-2. 2007
- Influence of ghrelin on gastric emptying and meal-related symptoms in idiopathic gastroparesisJ Tack
Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:847-53. 2005..Ghrelin, the endogenous ligand of the growth hormone secretagogue receptor, is released from the stomach. Animal studies suggest that ghrelin stimulates gastrointestinal motor activity...
- Diabetic gastroparesisM-F Kong
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Leicester General Hospital, Leicester, UK
Diabet Med 22:13-8. 2005
- Ghrelin enhances gastric emptying in diabetic gastroparesis: a double blind, placebo controlled, crossover studyC D R Murray
Physiology Unit, St Mark's Hospital, Harrow HA1 3UJ, UK
Gut 54:1693-8. 2005BACKGROUND: Diabetic gastroparesis is a disabling condition with no consistently effective treatment. In animals, ghrelin increases gastric emptying and reverses postoperative ileus...
- Ultrasonographic assessment of gastric motility in diabetic gastroparesis before and after attaining glycemic controlMasahiro Sogabe
The University of Tokushima Graduate School, Institute of Health Biosciences, Department of Digestive and Cardiovascular Medicine, Tokushima, Japan
J Gastroenterol 40:583-90. 2005..METHODS: We made such observations before and after establishing glycemic control in diabetic patients with gastroparesis. We studied 30 diabetic patients with upper abdominal digestive symptoms who were hospitalized for correction ..
- Gastroparesis with multiple sclerosisS Raghav
Department of Neurology, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Mult Scler 12:243-4. 2006..Upper gastrointestinal tract symptoms are rarely reported. We recently saw a patient with MS who had disabling gastroparesis and dysphagia.
- Comparative effects of levosulpiride and cisapride on gastric emptying and symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesisC Mansi
Department of Internal Medicine, Genoa University, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14:561-9. 2000..The efficacy of several prokinetic drugs on dyspeptic symptoms and on gastric emptying rates are well-established in patients with functional dyspepsia, but formal studies comparing different prokinetic drugs are lacking...
- Gastroparesis in diabetes mellitus: an ultrasonographic studyCorina Moldovan
Dept. of Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Oradea, Romania
Rom J Gastroenterol 14:19-22. 2005..The prevalence of gastroparesis was 52.7%, without differences between the two types of diabetes: 53.8% in type I and 52...
- Clinical trial: a randomized-controlled crossover study of intrapyloric injection of botulinum toxin in gastroparesisJ Arts
Department of Neurogastroenterology, University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 26:1251-8. 2007Uncontrolled studies suggest benefit of intrapyloric injection of botulinum toxin (botox) for the treatment of gastroparesis, but controlled data are lacking.
- Correlation between simultaneous scintigraphic and ultrasonographic measurement of gastric emptying in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitusGassan Darwiche
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Lund, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
J Ultrasound Med 22:459-66. 2003....
- Predictive factors for clinical improvement with Enterra gastric electric stimulation treatment for refractory gastroparesisJennifer L Maranki
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Section, Temple University School of Medicine, Parkinson Pavilion, Philadelphia, PA 19140, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:2072-8. 2008The objectives of this study were to determine the clinical response to Enterra gastric electric stimulation (GES) in patients with refractory gastroparesis and to determine factors associated with a favorable response.
- Gastroparesis: prevalence, clinical significance and treatmentM Horowitz
University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Can J Gastroenterol 15:805-13. 2001..and gastric emptying has yielded important insights into the prevalence, pathogenesis and clinical sequelae of gastroparesis. Both acute and chronic gastroparesis occur frequently; gastric emptying of solids is delayed in 30% to 50% of ..
- Azithromycin in an older woman with diabetic gastroparesisLoredana Sutera
Geriatric Unit, Post Graduate School of Geriatrics, University of Palermo, Italy
Am J Ther 15:85-8. 2008..is a challenging chronic complication of long-standing diabetes manifested with hypotension, syncope, gastroparesis, diarrhea, constipation, bladder dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, cardiac arrest, and/or sudden death...
- Effects of epalrestat, an aldose reductase inhibitor, on diabetic neuropathy and gastroparesisHiroshi Okamoto
Department of Internal Medicine, Kochi Red Cross Hospital, Kochi
Intern Med 42:655-64. 2003..Diabetic patients with severe autonomic nervous disorder show delayed gastric emptying accompanied by diabetic gastroparesis, which decreases the electric activity of the stomach associated with gastric motility...
- A single-blinded, randomized pilot study evaluating effects of electroacupuncture in diabetic patients with symptoms suggestive of gastroparesisChung Pang Wang
Department of Emergency Medicine, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung City, Taiwan, Republic of China
J Altern Complement Med 14:833-9. 2008The current pharmacological management of diabetic gastroparesis remains difficult. Acupuncture has been widely used for gastrointestinal symptoms...
- Severe idiopathic gastroparesis due to neuronal and interstitial cells of Cajal degeneration: pathological findings and managementN Zarate
Digestive System Research Unit, University Hospital Vall d Hebron, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
Gut 52:966-70. 2003..In the absence of an identified cause, gastroparesis is labelled as idiopathic. We present the case of a patient with severe idiopathic gastroparesis...
- Changes of gastric emptying rate and gastrin levels are early indicators of autonomic neuropathy in type II diabetic patientsL Migdalis
Department of Diabetes, NIMTS Hospital, Athens, Greece
Clin Auton Res 11:259-63. 2001..These tests should be reserved for patients with symptoms suggestive of disturbed gastric emptying, or for patients with autonomic neuropathy without symptoms of gastroparesis.
- Pyloric injection of botulinum toxin for the treatment of refractory GERD accompanied with gastroparesis: a preliminary reportSeyed Amir Mirbagheri
Amir Alam Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Dig Dis Sci 53:2621-6. 2008..reflux disease (GERD) refractory to conventional medical treatment is frequently associated with gastroparesis, a complex condition with no definitive treatment to date...
- A systematic review of surgical therapy for gastroparesisMichael P Jones
Division of Gastroenterology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, and Department of Internal Medicine, St. Joseph's Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:2122-9. 2003b>Gastroparesis is characterized by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of obstruction. Common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain...
- A longitudinal study of gastric emptying and upper gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with diabetes mellitusKaren L Jones
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Med 113:449-55. 2002..To evaluate the natural history of gastric emptying and upper gastrointestinal symptoms in patients with diabetes mellitus...
- Treatment of idiopathic gastroparesis with injection of botulinum toxin into the pyloric sphincter muscleLarry S Miller
Section of Gastroenterology, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19140, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1653-60. 2002..into the pyloric sphincter improves gastric emptying and reduces symptoms in patients with idiopathic gastroparesis. METHODS: Patients with idiopathic gastroparesis not responding to prokinetic therapy underwent botulinum ..
- Relationship between the effects of cisapride on gastric emptying and plasma glucose concentrations in diabetic gastroparesisMichael Horowitz
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, Australia
Digestion 65:41-6. 2002..The aim of this study was to determine in patients with diabetic gastroparesis whether the effect of cisapride on gastric emptying of solids and liquids is influenced by the plasma glucose ..
- Gastric pacing for severe gastroparesis in a heart-lung transplant recipientAnna Yiannopoulos
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305-5407, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:371-4. 2004b>Gastroparesis is a serious complication of lung and heart-lung transplantation that can lead to malnutrition, gastroesophageal reflux, aspiration pneumonia and deteriorating lung function...
- Gastric motor effects of ghrelin and growth hormone releasing peptide 6 in diabetic mice with gastroparesisWen Cai Qiu
Department of General Surgery, The Affiliated Sixth Hospital of Medical School, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200233, China
World J Gastroenterol 14:1419-24. 2008..To investigate the potential therapeutic significance of ghrelin and growth hormone releasing peptide 6 (GHRP-6) in diabetic mice with gastric motility disorders...
- Update on gastroparesisKathryn Feigenbaum
National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center, Nursing and Patient Care Services, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1664, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 29:239-44; quiz 245-6. 2006b>Gastroparesis is a manifestation of diabetic autonomic neuropathy. Gastrointestinal autonomic neuropathy contributes to morbidity, mortality, reduced quality of life, and increased healthcare costs of a patient with diabetes mellitus...
- Electrostimulation for intractable delayed emptying of intrathoracic stomach after esophagectomyJihad R Salameh
Department of Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 85:1417-9. 2008..The use of the denervated intrathoracic stomach as esophageal substitute can rarely lead to severe delayed gastric emptying. We describe the use of electrostimulation for this condition...
- The effect on gastric tone of gastric electrical stimulation with trains of short pulses varies with sites and stimulation conditionsYong Lei
Veterans Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:2066-71. 2008Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) can improve symptoms in patients with gastroparesis and induce weight loss in obese subjects.
- [Gastroparesis and its treatment options]Peter Igaz
Semmelweis Egyetem, Altalános Orvostudományi Kar II Belgyógyászati Klinika, Budapest, Hungary
Orv Hetil 149:393-8. 2008b>Gastroparesis is a disorder of gastric emptying that occurs in the absence of mechanical obstruction. Its cardinal features include nausea, vomiting, bloating, early satiety and discomfort...
- High-frequency gastric stimulation in a patient with diabetic gastroparesisD J Patterson
Diabet Med 21:195-6. 2004
- Gastric electrical stimulation for intractable vomiting in patients with chronic intestinal pseudoobstructionS Andersson
Departments of Internal Medicine and Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, , Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:823-30. 2006..GES) is effective for medically refractory nausea and vomiting in patients with idiopathic or diabetic gastroparesis (DGP). We studied whether GES has similar effects in chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction (CIP)...
- Gastric electrical stimulation with parameters for gastroparesis enhances gastric accommodation and alleviates distention-induced symptoms in dogsJ H Xing
Veterans Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:2160-4. 2006Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) improves symptoms in patients with gastroparesis. We sought to determine if stimulation at fundus with parameters used for gastroparesis could affect gastric accommodation and distention-induced ..
- Oral mitemcinal (GM-611), an erythromycin-derived prokinetic, accelerates normal and experimentally delayed gastric emptying in conscious dogsMitsu Onoma
Fuji Gotemba Research Laboratories, Chugai Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, Gotemba, Shizuoka, Japan
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 35:35-42. 2008..6. Because delayed gastric emptying is the basic characteristic of gastroparesis, the fact that mitemcinal accelerated gastric emptying in dogs with normal and delayed gastric emptying much ..
- Mechanisms of high-frequency electrical stimulation of the stomach in gastroparetic patientsRichard W McCallum
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:5400-3. 2006....
- Gastric electrical stimulation in medically refractory nausea and vomitingGuillaume Gourcerol
Department of Physiology, Rouen University Hospital, Rouen, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 19:29-35. 2007....
- GastroparesisTauseef Ali
Department of Internal Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73190, USA
South Med J 100:281-6. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a symptomatic disorder of the stomach characterized by slow or delayed gastric emptying. Diabetes and idiopathic factors account for over 60% of gastroparesis cases...
- Gastroparesis: symptoms, evaluation, and treatmentWilliam L Hasler
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Michigan Health System, University of Michigan Hospital, 3912 Taubman Center, Box 0362, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:619-47, ix. 2007b>Gastroparesis presents with gastrointestinal symptoms and nongastrointestinal manifestations in association with objective delays in gastric emptying. The condition may complicate several systemic disorders or may be idiopathic in nature...
- The riddle, mystery, and enigma of gastroparesisPankaj Jay Pasricha
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5187, USA
J Support Oncol 5:368-70. 2007
- Malignant gastroparesis: pathogenesis and management of an underrecognized disorderKavitha R Donthireddy
Department of Medicine and Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York, USA
J Support Oncol 5:355-63. 2007b>Gastroparesis is a disorder of the stomach caused by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of mechanical obstruction. Symptoms of gastroparesis include nausea, vomiting, early satiety, bloating, and abdominal discomfort...
- Functional dyspepsia: mechanisms of symptom generation and appropriate management of patientsMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Group, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Charlton 8 110, 200 First Street, SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:649-64, xi-x. 2007..To achieve greater therapeutic efficacy, it may be necessary to target the therapeutic approach to a specific pathophysiology, such as impaired gastric emptying...
- [Pathomechanisms of functional gastroparesis]Jacek Sobocki
Folia Med Cracov 47:51-9. 2006..gastric dysrhythmias, dysfunction of gastric fundus and acommodation, functional diseases of antrum and gastroparesis. A common symptom of this diseases is dyspepsia...
- Erosion of gastric electrical stimulator electrodes: evaluation, management, and laparoscopic techniquesRockson C Liu
Department of Surgery, The Permanente Medical Group, Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:438-41. 2007Gastric electrical stimulation is a promising technology for treatment of gastroparesis. Few studies address potential complications of the device.
- Gastric electrical stimulation is an effective and safe treatment for medically refractory gastroparesisDaniel McKenna
Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI, USA
Surgery 144:566-72; discussion 572-4. 2008b>Gastroparesis is characterized by delayed gastric emptying in the absence of obstruction. Common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain...
- Therapeutic potential of synchronized gastric electrical stimulation for gastroparesis: enhanced gastric motility in dogsHongbing Zhu
Veterans Research Foundation, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 293:R1875-81. 2007..The effect of SGES on antral contractions is mediated via the cholinergic pathway...
- Two-channel gastric pacing with a novel implantable gastric pacemaker accelerates glucagon-induced delayed gastric emptying in dogsJunying Xu
Division of Gastroenterology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA
Am J Surg 195:122-9. 2008..The aim of the current study was to investigate the efficacy of 2-channel gastric electrical stimulation (GES) with a custom-made implantable pacemaker on delayed gastric emptying and gastric dysrhythmia induced by glucagon in dogs...
- Gastric electrical stimulation for children with intractable nausea and gastroparesisSaleem Islam
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 32916, USA
J Pediatr Surg 43:437-42. 2008..Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) has been performed in adults as a treatment of refractory nausea and vomiting in patients who have failed medical treatment, but has not been used in children...
- Clinical practice. Diabetic gastroparesisMichael Camilleri
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiologic Research, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, USA
N Engl J Med 356:820-9. 2007
- [Effects of Chinese herbs for cool-moistening and freeing collaterals on serum gastrin and surface electrogastrogram in patients of diabetes mellitus with gastroparesis]Shi ling Rong
TCM Hospital, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang 050011
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 24:976-8. 2004To explore the effect of Chinese herbs (CH) for cool-moistening and freeing collaterals on gastro-dynamic disturbance in patients of diabetes mellitus type 2 with gastroparesis (DM-GP).
- Usefulness of measuring the gastric emptying time in a case of brittle diabetesTaner Erselcan
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Cumhuriyet University School of Medicine, Sivas, Turkey
Ann Nucl Med 18:533-5. 2004..She had severe gastroparesis, which was determined by scintigraphic gastric emptying study (gastric half-emptying time = 260 min for a ..
- [Dysmotility disorders of the stomach and possible methods of diagnosis]M Kopacova
Klinické centrum vnitrního lékarství, II interní klinika LF UK a FN, Hradec Kralove
Vnitr Lek 50:344-9. 2004..The authors give an overview of recent possibilities of dysmotility disorders diagnostics and of their relation to diabetes mellitus...
- Gastric electrical stimulation in intractable symptomatic gastroparesisThomas L Abell
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Miss 39216 4505, USA
Digestion 66:204-12. 2002The treatment of gastroparesis remains unsatisfactory despite prokinetic and anti-emetic drugs. Gastric electrical stimulation has been proposed as a therapeutic option...
- Three-dimensional object-oriented modeling of the stomach for the purpose of microprocessor-controlled functional stimulationPeter Z Rashev
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, T2N 1N4 Canada
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 6:296-309. 2002....
- Measurement of gastric emptying by 13C-octanoic acid breath test versus scintigraphy in diabeticsA Zahn
Innere Medizin IV, Medizinische Klinik IV, Klinikum der Universitat Heidelberg
Z Gastroenterol 41:383-90. 2003..It is not possible to predict diabetic gastroparesis on the basis of other autonomic function disorders or because of dyspeptic symptoms.
- Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and gastric emptying: role of blood glucose concentration and dopamine D2 receptorsP Melga
Department of Endocrine and Metabolic Sciences, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Diabetes Nutr Metab 17:62-5. 2004
- Erythromycin in the short- and long-term control of dyspepsia symptoms in patients with gastroparesisRohtashav Dhir
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 38:237-42. 2004BACKGROUND: Few prokinetic drugs are available to treat gastroparesis. Data are limited on short-term and long-term efficacy of erythromycin as a prokinetic drug...
- Effect of high-frequency gastric electrical stimulation on gastric myoelectric activity in gastroparetic patientsZ Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 16:205-12. 2004..that could help explain how high-frequency GES is effective in treating nausea and vomiting associated with gastroparesis. Fifteen gastroparetic patients who received high-frequency GES were enrolled...
- Treatment of gastroparesis with electrical stimulationZhiyue Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas 66160, USA
Dig Dis Sci 48:837-48. 2003Electrically stimulating the stomach to treat gastroparesis has been proposed by investigators for decades...
- The problem of gastric atonyKristen P Woosley
Department of Emergency and Critical Care, The Bobst Hospital of The Animal Medical Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
Clin Tech Small Anim Pract 19:43-8. 2004..Critically ill animals are at increased risk of developing gastroparesis caused by primary gastrointestinal disturbances or severe metabolic derangements that impact gastrointestinal ..
- [An experimental study of gastric pacing on postsurgical gastric dynamic dysfunction]Fuyu Li
Department of General Surgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China
Sichuan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 34:322-4. 2003..The gastric dynamic indices of applying gastric pacing to the experimental animal model of acute post-vagotomy gastroparesis were compared with those of the groups treated with erythromycin (1 mg/kg)...
- Further experience with gastric stimulation to treat drug refractory gastroparesisJameson Forster
Department of Surgery, Kansas University Medical Center, Kansas City 66160 7309, USA
Am J Surg 186:690-5. 2003Gastric electrical stimulation (GES) has been introduced for patients with gastroparesis refractory to pharmacological therapy.
- Glucose control is not improved by accelerating gastric emptying in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus and gastroparesis. a pilot study with cisapride as a model drugR Lehmann
Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Zurich, Switzerland
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 111:255-61. 2003..glycaemic control, the magnitude of glucose excursions, and hypoglycaemic episodes in patients with diabetic gastroparesis. We do not recommend, therefore, acceleration of gastric emptying as treatment strategy for "brittle ..
- A MULTI-CHANNEL GASTRIC PACER FOR TREATING GASTROPARESISRobert Ross; Fiscal Year: 2004In a new therapeutic approach for delayed gastric emptying and gastroparesis, Virginia Technologies, Inc...
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will study whether acupuncture shortens the period of postoperative ileus in rats. This study would provide beneficial information for patients with gastroparesis and postoperative ileus.
- Gastric dysreflexia after spinal cord injuryGregory Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2007..medulla is disrupted, resulting in an excitation of well documented medullary circuits that produce a spastic gastroparesis similar to truncal vagotomy...
- Temple University Gastroparesis Clinical CenterHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2007Patients with gastroparesis often suffer with chronic gastrointestinal symptoms that are not adequately treated due, in part, to a lack of understanding of the underlying pathophysiology and due, in part, to a lack of effective ..
- Nitrergic Neuro-smooth Muscle Transmission in the GutRaj K Goyal; Fiscal Year: 2010..Defective NO neurotransmission is also implicated in diabetic gastroparesis and functional disorders of the gut such as irritable bowel syndrome and spasm of biliary and pancreatic ..
- Obstruction-initiated mechanotranscription in colonic smooth muscle cellsXuan Zheng Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010..mechanotranscription may also be involved in other stretch-related motility disorders such as achalasia and gastroparesis, where lack of relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter and pylorus sphincter is associated with distension ..
- Obstruction-initiated mechanotranscription in colonic smooth muscle cellsXuan Zheng Shi; Fiscal Year: 2009..mechanotranscription may also be involved in other stretch-related motility disorders such as achalasia and gastroparesis, where lack of relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter and pylorus sphincter is associated with distension ..
- Dual-pulse electrical stimulation for gastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Gastroparesis is a common disease defined as the delayed emptying of the stomach...
- Gastric dysreflexia after spinal cord injuryGregory Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2009..medulla is disrupted, resulting in an excitation of well documented medullary circuits that produce a spastic gastroparesis similar to truncal vagotomy...
- Gastric dysreflexia after spinal cord injuryGregory M Holmes; Fiscal Year: 2010..medulla is disrupted, resulting in an excitation of well documented medullary circuits that produce a spastic gastroparesis similar to truncal vagotomy...
- Mechanisms underlying regional differences in gastric compliance in the stomach.Sean Ward; Fiscal Year: 2009Millions of patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesis, both idiopathic and that associated with diabetes mellitus, have impaired postprandial gastric meal accommodation and uncoordinated gastric contractions which are often ..
- Mechanisms underlying regional differences in gastric compliance in the stomach.Sean M Ward; Fiscal Year: 2010Millions of patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesis, both idiopathic and that associated with diabetes mellitus, have impaired postprandial gastric meal accommodation and uncoordinated gastric contractions which are often ..
- Neural basis of learned food aversion and nauseaCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2009..to nausea treatment in a large number of clinical situations, including cancer chemotherapy, diabetic gastroparesis, anorexia nervosa, ischemic gastropathy, chronic intestinal obstruction, abdominal malignancy, and functional ..
- INTERSTITIAL CELL OF CAJAL IN VAGAL AFFERENT SENSITIVITYSean Ward; Fiscal Year: 2004..Millions of patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesis, both idiopathic and that associated with diabetes mellitus, have low vagal tone and impaired postprandial ..
- Dual Pulse Electrical Stimulation for GastroparesisJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007b>Gastroparesis is defined as delayed emptying of solids and is a common disease defined as delayed emptying of the stomach...
- Gastroparesis Gastric Dysrhythmias and Dyspepsia Symp*Kenneth Koch; Fiscal Year: 2007Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) afflicts 14 million patients; many patients have undiagnosed gastroparesis (GP) and suffer from nausea, bloating, and abdominal discomfort...
- Novel Evaluation & Treatment of Gastric DysmotilityHenry Parkman; Fiscal Year: 2007Gastric dysmotility is relevant in several clinical disorders including gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia...
- VAGAL GASTRIC MOTOR CONTROL IN MICEELITA PARTOSEOEDARSO; Fiscal Year: 2002..from the Applicant's Abstract): Impairment of gastric adaptive relaxation reflexes is an underlying cause of gastroparesis. It may also contribute to gastroesphageal reflux disease and metaplasia (Barretts)...