Genomes and Genes
intestinal pseudo obstruction
Summary: A type of ILEUS, a functional not mechanical obstruction of the INTESTINES. This syndrome is caused by a large number of disorders involving the smooth muscles (MUSCLE, SMOOTH) or the NERVOUS SYSTEM.
Publications229 found, 100 shown here
- Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructionAlexandra Antonucci
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, St Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Via Massarenti 9, Bologna I 40138, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 14:2953-61. 2008..Treatment of intestinal pseudo-obstruction involves nutritional, pharmacological and surgical therapies, but it is often unsatisfactory and the long-term outcome is generally poor in the majority of cases...
- Pseudo-obstruction in the critically illSilvia Delgado-Aros
Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research Program, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Charlton 8 110, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 17:427-44. 2003..The underlying pathophysiological mechanisms are not fully understood. Therefore, treatment focuses on preventing intestinal perforation, which is associated with an average 21% mortality rate...
- Coexistent chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo obstruction and inflammatory bowel diseaseB Ohlsson
Gut 54:729-30. 2005
- Small intestinal motilityMichael P Jones
Division of Gastroenterology, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 22:111-6. 2006..To review recently published studies presenting novel and relevant information on small intestinal motility in humans and animals...
- Pseudo-pseudo-obstruction: lessons in diagnosis and managementD B A Silk
Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Central Middlesex Hospital, Acton Lane, London NW10 7NS, UK
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:959-60. 2004....
- Serial plain abdominal film findings in the assessment of acute abdomen: spastic ileus, hypotonic ileus, mechanical ileus and paralytic ileusRoberto Grassi
Dipartimento Universitario di Internistica Clinica e Sperimentale F Magrassi A Lanzara, Sezione Scientifica di Radiodiagnostica, Radioterapia e Medicina Nucleare, Seconda Universita degli Studi di Napoli
Radiol Med 108:56-70. 2004..In this paper serial plain abdominal film findings related to the different types of ileus (spastic ileus, hypotonic ileus, mechanical ileus and paralytic ileus) are presented...
- Da-Cheng-Qi-Tang promotes the recovery of gastrointestinal motility after abdominal surgery in humansQing Hui Qi
Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Dalian Medical School, Dalian, Liaoning Province, China
Dig Dis Sci 52:1562-70. 2007..Our results suggest that DCQT can increase plasma motilin, enhance gastrointestinal motility, improve gastric dysrythmia, and reduce gastroparesis after abdominal surgery...
- Intestinal transplantation for chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in adult patientsMichele Masetti
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Liver and Multivisceral Transplant Center, Modena, Italy
Am J Transplant 4:826-9. 2004..3% and 66.6%. Although our series is limited by the number of patients, our experience suggests that ITx transplantation should be considered in adult patients suffering from CIPO and PN life-threatening complication...
- Irreversible intestinal failureOlivier Goulet
Département de gastroentérologie, Hépatologie et Nutrition Pédiatriques, Hôpital Necker Infants Malades and INSERM, Faculté de Necker, Paris, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 38:250-69. 2004..This review discusses the causes of irreversible IF and emphasizes the specific medico-surgical strategies for prevention and treatment of these conditions at several stages of IF...
- Postoperative ileus: a reviewMirza K Baig
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, Florida 33331, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 47:516-26. 2004..This article reviews the etiology, pathophysiology, and treatment options of postoperative ileus...
- [Chronic pseudo-obstruction of the intestine]Francisca Joly
Hépato Gastroentérologie et Assistance Nutritive, Hopital Lariboisiere, 75475 Paris Cedex 10
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 29:851-6. 2005
- Study of the pathogenesis of paralytic ileus in animal models of experimentally induced postoperative and septic ileusB Y de Winter
Faculteit Geneeskunde U A U I A Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Wilrijk
Verh K Acad Geneeskd Belg 65:293-324. 2003..However, a parallel mechanism of action for NO via oxidative stress needs further investigation...
- Endogenous ethanol production in a patient with chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and small intestinal bacterial overgrowthGiulio Spinucci
Centre for Chronic Intestinal Failure, Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:799-802. 2006..A provocative test, performed by giving amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid associated with the simple sugar-rich diet was followed by the reappearance of ethanol in the blood. A review of the literature is reported...
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic gastroparesis and chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructionD Scott Smith
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 32:619-58. 2003..In the future, testable hypotheses regarding the etiology of other functional bowel disorders (e.g., functional dyspepsia, irritable bowel syndrome, and so forth) may be developed...
- Role of electrogastrography in detecting motility disorders in children affected by chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and Crohn's diseaseF Bracci
Department of Paediatric Gastroenterology and Digestive Surgery, Bambino Gesu Children Hospital, Rome, Italy
Eur J Pediatr Surg 13:31-4. 2003..Conclusions. EEG is a non-invasive method to study gut motility related to GEA alterations present in CIPO as well as in CD patients...
- Clinical Images: chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction and the "hide-bound" bowel signAkira Hokama
University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa, Japan
Arthritis Rheum 56:1724. 2007
- Differential salutary effects of nonselective and selective COX-2 inhibitors in postoperative ileus in ratsRoman P Korolkiewicz
Department of Pharmacology, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
J Surg Res 109:161-9. 2003..Postoperative ileus (PI) is a common surgical complication, the treatment of which consists of supportive measures...
- Enteric glial cells: new players in gastrointestinal motility?Gabrio Bassotti
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Lab Invest 87:628-32. 2007..Thus, as also shown by recent evidence in both experimental animal models, and in some human diseases, alterations of enteric glial cells might have some role in the development of intestinal motor abnormalities...
- Pseudo-pseudo-obstructionGabrio Bassotti
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Section, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Perugia, San Marco, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:1039-41. 2004..We present here a case in which such a diagnosis was suspected, but a thorough in-depth evaluation revealed that the symptoms were due to a treatable cause--abdominopelvic adhesions...
- Chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: the need for a multidisciplinary approach to managementD B A Silk
Department of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Central Middlesex Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 63:473-80. 2004..A six-stage nutritional management plan for these patients is presented...
- Deranged smooth muscle alpha-actin as a biomarker of intestinal pseudo-obstruction: a controlled multinational case seriesC H Knowles
Institute of Cellular and Molecular Science, Barts and The London, Queen Mary s School of Medicine and Dentistry, UK
Gut 53:1583-9. 2004..We present a prospective multinational case series investigating smooth muscle alpha-actin deficiency as a biomarker of this disease...
- Diagnosis and management of adult patients with chronic intestinal pseudoobstructionDwight H Sutton
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 550 S Jackson Street, ACB 3 floor, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Nutr Clin Pract 21:16-22. 2006..The management goals of CIP are to restore proper nutrition and fluid balance, relieve symptoms, improve intestinal motility, and treat complications...
- Inhibition of protein kinase A in murine enteric neurons causes lethal intestinal pseudo-obstructionDouglas G Howe
Department of Pharmacology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7750, USA
J Neurobiol 66:256-72. 2006....
- Acute on chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction as a cause of death in a previously healthy twenty-year-old maleJoshua T Evans
Department of Gastroenterology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Dig Dis Sci 51:647-51. 2006
- Interactions between commensal bacteria and gut sensorimotor function in health and diseaseGiovanni Barbara
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Univeristy of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2560-8. 2005..The potential benefit of antibiotic and probiotic therapy is currently under investigation and opens new perspectives in irritable bowel syndrome treatment...
- Small intestinal manometry in patients with systemic sclerosisKristina Sjolund
Department of Internal Medicine, Lund University Hospital, Sweden
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:1205-12. 2005....
- [Intestinal function tests]J Keller
Israelitisches Krankenhaus, Hamburg
Praxis (Bern 1994) 94:1433-8. 2005..Recently developed 13C breath tests using stable, non-radioactive substrates may extend our diagnostic options considerably and may allow more detailed information about intestinal (mal-)functions as a prerequisite for optimized therapy...
- Surgery in intestinal pseudo-obstruction: proCarlo Di Lorenzo
The Ohio State University, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Columbus Children s, Hospital, OH, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 41:S64-5. 2005
- Autoimmune enteric leiomyositis: a rare cause of chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction with specific morphological featuresSusanne Haas
Institute of Pathology, Medical Faculty of the University of Bonn, Germany
Hum Pathol 36:576-80. 2005..Therefore, correct diagnosis may be missed in peroral and peranal mucosal biopsies, but full-thickness biopsies are required...
- Natural history of chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in adults: a single center studyVincenzo Stanghellini
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Italy
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:449-58. 2005..Intestinal motor abnormalities have long been identified in CIIP patients. Little is known of the natural history of the disease in adults. This study evaluated the clinical course of CIIP over time...
- Gastric electrical stimulation for intractable vomiting in patients with chronic intestinal pseudoobstructionS Andersson
Departments of Internal Medicine and Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:823-30. 2006..01) at last visit. In patients with CIP and medically refractory vomiting, GES seems to have an anti-vomiting effect comparable to that seen in patients with severe DGP. GES should be considered as a therapeutic option for these patients...
- Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in a cat caused by visceral myopathyAndrea M Harvey
School of Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford House, Langford, Bristol BS40 5DU, UK
J Vet Intern Med 19:111-4. 2005
- Intestinal transplantation for total/near-total aganglionosis and intestinal pseudo-obstructionGeoffrey J Bond
Thomas E Starzl Transplantation Institute, Children s Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Montefiore, 7 South, 3459 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Semin Pediatr Surg 13:286-92. 2004..However, early referral is desirable once complications arise if these patients are to be offered optimal medical care before the chance of transplantation is lost...
- Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: assessment and managementFrances L Connor
Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Royal Children s Hospital, Herston, Australia
Gastroenterology 130:S29-36. 2006
- Does gum chewing help prevent impaired gastric motility in the postoperative period?Heather Leier
University of Mary, Bismarck, North Dakoka, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:133-6. 2007..To discuss the pathophysiology of postoperative ileus (POI) and the addition of gum chewing to a multimodal treatment plan...
- Identification of hydroxyapatite deposits in the smooth muscle cells and ganglion cells of autopsied small intestinesHirotaka Tanabe
Department of Pathology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
J Med Dent Sci 51:129-38. 2004..Deposition of calcium salts might occasionally causes the paralytic ileus but clinical significance of this lesion requires further examination...
- Loss of CD117 (c-kit)- and CD34-positive ICC and associated CD34-positive fibroblasts defines a subpopulation of chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructionC J Streutker
Department of Pathology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 27:228-35. 2003..These findings will allow surgical pathologists to identify this subpopulation of patients with CIIP using tissue obtained by laparoscopic biopsy of the muscularis propria or surgical resection...
- [Scintigraphic assessment of the small intestine transit. Diagnostic investigation of dysmotility with 99mTc-HIDA]Per Grybäck
Sektionen för nuklearmedicin avdelningen för sjukhusfysik, Avdelningen för diagnostisk radiologi, Karolinska sjukhuset, Stockholm
Lakartidningen 99:1556-8, 1561-2. 2002..Of the remaining patients, 4 had slow transit and diarrhoea with intestinal neuropathy and pseudoobstruction, and 2 had slow transit along with endocrinopathies (diabetes, pituitary insufficiency)...
- [Passage through the small bowel a neglected but interesting parameter. Scintigraphic marker a creative idea]Ake Nilsson
Gastroenterologi och nutritionssektionen, specialmedicinska kliniken, Universitetssjukhuset, Lund
Lakartidningen 99:1548-9. 2002
- Scintigraphy of the small intestine: a simplified standard for study of transit with reference to normal valuesSunita Rao
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:971; author reply 971-2. 2002
- Neurogenic chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: antineuronal antibody-mediated activation of autophagy via FasRoberto De Giorgio
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Centro Unificato di Ricerca BioMedica Applicata, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Gastroenterology 135:601-9. 2008..In this study we tested the hypothesis that sera from a subpopulation of patients with CIP contain autoantibodies that activate autophagy via a Fas-dependent pathway in cultured human neuroblastoma SH-Sy5Y cells...
- [Chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction due to visceral myopathy]Martá Kovács
Petz Aladár Megyei Oktató Kórház, Csecsemo és Gyermekgyógyászati Osztály, Gyor, Hungary
Orv Hetil 148:1329-34. 2007..Postmortem histopathology showed visceral myopathy. Molecular genetic analysis could not confirm the presence of the mDNA mutation...
- Impaired gut contractility following hemorrhagic shock is accompaied by IL-6 and G-CSF production and neutrophil infiltrationC Hierholzer
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Dig Dis Sci 46:230-41. 2001..IL-6 and G-CSF are produced in the muscularis and mucosa layers of the gut in HS where they may contribute to PMN recruitment and smooth muscle dysfunction...
- [Clinical characteristics and diagnosis of chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction]X Fang
Department of Gastroenterology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing 100730, China
Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi 40:666-9. 2001..The clinical diagnosis of CIP can be confirmed on the basis of typical clinical symptoms and radiographic features, abnormal gastrointestinal motility...
- Colonic postoperative inflammatory ileus in the ratAndreas Türler
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Surg 236:56-66. 2002..To investigate local inflammatory events within the colonic muscularis as a causative factor of postoperative ileus...
- Mechanisms for contractile effect of Dai-kenchu-to in isolated guinea pig ileumK Satoh
Kampo and Pharmacognosy Laboratory, R and D Division, Tsumura and Co, Yoshiwara, Ibaraki, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 46:250-6. 2001..These results suggest that contractile response induced by TJ-100 is partially mediated by ACh released from the cholinergic nerve endings and that 5-HT4 receptors would be involved in the effect of TJ-100...
- Fatal acute intestinal pseudoobstruction in miceRicardo E Feinstein
National Veterinary Institute, Uppsala, Sweden
J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 47:58-63. 2008....
- HOX11L1: a promoter study to evaluate possible expression defects in intestinal motility disordersMonica Fava
Laboratorio di Genetica Molecolare, Istituto G Gaslini, Genova, Italy
Int J Mol Med 10:101-6. 2002....
- Abnormal distribution of the interstitial cells of cajal in an adult patient with pseudo-obstruction and megaduodenumGuy E Boeckxstaens
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2120-6. 2002..These findings suggest that abnormalities in ICC may contribute to the disturbed motility in some myopathic forms of intestinal pseudo-obstruction...
- Colonic transit study by radio-opaque markers to investigate constipation: validation of a new protocol for a population with rapid gut transitUday C Ghoshal
Department of Gastroenterology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow 226014, Uttar Pradesh, India
Natl Med J India 20:225-9. 2007....
- Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: manifestations, natural history and managementV Stanghellini
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 19:440-52. 2007..This article focuses on the main clinical features, the management and long-term outcome of patients affected by CIPO, with particular emphasis on those aspects which remain a matter of debate...
- Gum chewing stimulates bowel motility in patients undergoing radical cystectomy with urinary diversionErik J Kouba
Division of Urologic Surgery, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Urology 70:1053-6. 2007..This study aimed to determine whether gum chewing in the immediate postoperative period facilitates a return to bowel function in patients undergoing cystectomy and urinary diversion...
- The endocannabinoid system and the molecular basis of paralytic ileus in miceNicola Mascolo
Department of Experimental Pharmacology, University of Naples Federico II, 80131 Naples, Italy
FASEB J 16:1973-5. 2002....
- Deciphering chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: do mice help to solve the riddle?Roberto De Giorgio
Gastroenterology 133:2052-5. 2007
- Chronic rejection after combined liver and small bowel transplantation in a child with chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: a case reportM Giovanelli
Department of General Surgery III, Liver and Transplant Unit, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Italy
Transplant Proc 40:1763-7. 2008..As survival following intestinal transplantation continues to improve, the problem of CR has become increasingly important and the only treatment available is retransplantation, which is associated with poor outcomes...
- Scintigraphy of the small intestine: a simplified standard for study of transit with reference to normal valuesPer Grybäck
Department of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Karolinska Hospital, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:39-45. 2002..The method is clinically feasible and the transit time of (99m)Tc-HIDA shows a good correlation with results of the hydrogen breath test (lactulose transit time) in healthy volunteers...
- Epidural administration of morphine facilitates time of appearance of first gastric interdigestive migrating complex in dogs with paralytic ileus after open abdominal surgeryTomoko Nakayoshi
Department of Surgery, Jikei University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastrointest Surg 11:648-54. 2007..These results suggest that epidural administration of morphine may facilitate recovery from paralytic ileus after open abdominal surgery, perhaps through its effects on the central nervous system...
- Advances in gastrointestinal electrical stimulationZhiyue Lin
Department of Medicine, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, USA
Crit Rev Biomed Eng 30:419-57. 2002..Finally clinical applications of electrical stimulation to GI disorders and their possible mechanisms are discussed...
- Intestinal obstruction and perforation--the role of the gastroenterologistPetr Dite
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Dig Dis 21:63-7. 2003....
- Survival rate and prognostic factors in patients with intestinal failureI Vantini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Internal Medicine A and Rehabilitation Gastroenterology, University of Verona, Policlinico G B Rossi, Piazz le L A Scuro, 37134 Verona, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 36:46-55. 2004..Intestinal failure impairs nutritional status and survival expectance. Though intestinal adaptation and enteral independence may be achieved, artificial nutrition is needed in about half of the patients...
- Laxation of critically ill patients with lactulose or polyethylene glycol: a two-center randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialJohan I van der Spoel
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Care Med 35:2726-31. 2007..To study whether lactulose or polyethylene glycol is effective to promote defecation in critically ill patients, whether either of the two is superior, and whether the use of enteral laxatives is related to clinical outcome...
- Twenty-five consecutive isolated intestinal transplants in adult patients: a five-yr clinical experienceA Lauro
Liver and Multiorgan Transplant Unit, University of Bologna Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Clin Transplant 21:177-85. 2007....
- Gastrostomy as a decompression technique in children with chronic gastrointestinal obstructionL Michaud
Department of Pediatric, Lille University Children s Hospital, France
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 32:82-5. 2001..However, there is no report of percutaneous gastrostomy for chronic decompression in children with chronic gastrointestinal obstruction. The objective of this study was to evaluate this technique...
- [Metrological analysis and evaluation of the acupuncture-moxibustion spectrum of digestive system diseases in modern literature]Huang Qin-Feng
Shanghai Research Institute of Acupuncture and Meridians, Shanghai 200030, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 27:769-72. 2007....
- A follow-up study in a Taiwanese family with mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke-like episodes syndromeJie Yuan Li
Division of Neurology, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 106:528-36. 2007..We studied the clinical progression and fluctuation of mtDNA mutations in this Taiwanese MELAS family...
- [Intestinal failure: from adaptation to transplantation]B Messing
Service de Gastroentérologie et Assistance Nutritive, Centre Agréé de Nutrition Parentérale à Domicile, Labellisé Pour les Maladies Intestinales Rares et la Transplantation Intestinale, Pôle des Maladies de l Appareil Digestif, Hopital Beaujon, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 92110 Clichy, France
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 33:648-59. 2009..No doubt that, for improving overall outcome in intestinal failure patients, reference centres should have in expert hands the whole spectrum of medicosurgical therapies for intestinal failure...
- Development of Isaacs' syndrome following complete recovery of voltage-gated potassium channel antibody-associated limbic encephalitisHirokatsu Takahashi
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Chuo Ku, Chiba, Japan
J Neurol Sci 275:185-7. 2008..Here we report a case of Isaacs' syndrome after complete remission of LE with VGKC-Abs that may provide an insight into a possible link among VGKC-Abs associated syndromes...
- Measurement of serum levels of eosinophil cationic protein in the diagnosis of acute gastrointestinal anisakiasisJ Dominguez-Ortega
Allergy Unit, Hospital Virgen de la Concha, Zamora, Allergy Service, Hospital Clínico San Carlos and Primary Care Service, Madrid, Spain
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:453-7. 2003..simplex and high total and specific immunoglobulin (IgE) in the first month after the parasitation, could be a useful tool in the diagnosis of gastrointestinal anisakiasis, even if the parasite cannot be isolated...
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndromeJan Bures
2nd Department of Medicine, Charles University in Praha, Faculty of Medicine at Hradec Kralove, University Teaching Hospital, Sokolska 581, 500 05 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
World J Gastroenterol 16:2978-90. 2010..It should include treatment of the underlying disease, nutritional support and cyclical gastro-intestinal selective antibiotics. Prognosis is usually serious, determined mostly by the underlying disease that led to SIBO...
- [Progressive dysautonomia as initial manifestation of anti-Hu antibody-related syndrome]S Palao
Servicio de Neurología Hospital Ramón y Cajal Madrid, Spain
Neurologia 22:899-902. 2007..The isolated autonomic dysfunction as the presenting manifestation of anti-Hu antibody-related paraneoplastic syndrome is extremely infrequent...
- Three-year experience in clinical intestinal transplantationM Masetti
Liver and Multivisceral Transplant Center, Modena, Italy
Transplant Proc 36:309-11. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the outcome of 19 patients who underwent intestinal transplantation (ITx) for intestinal failure...
- [Large ventral hernia in tropical countries: etiology and results of treatment with the Judd technique]Y D Harouna
Faculte des Sciences de la Sante, université Abdou Moumouni Dioffo, BP 10896 Niamey, Niger
Ann Chir Plast Esthet 46:595-8. 2001..Judd's autoplastic technic is an efficacy technic in primitive ventral hernia or for the first repair of incisional ventral hernia. Preoperative management must concern all respiratory problems and their treatment...
- Clinical analysis of systemic lupus erythematosus with gastrointestinal manifestationsD Xu
Department of Rheumatology, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Peking Union Medical College, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Lupus 19:866-9. 2010..SLE patients who had Raynaud's phenomenon, hypocomplementemia and positive anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody were at increasing risk of developing gastrointestinal complication...
- Endoscopic and histopathological features of gastrointestinal amyloidosisAkira Hokama
Akira Hokama, Kazuto Kishimoto, Tetsuo Hirata, Jiro Fujita, Department of Infectious, Respiratory, and Digestive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa 903 0125, Japan
World J Gastrointest Endosc 3:157-61. 2011..Because of the absence of specific treatments for reducing the abundance of the amyloidogenic precursor protein, we should be aware of certain associations between patterns of amyloid deposition and clinical and endoscopic features...
- Orocecal transit time in patients in the chronic phase of corrosive injuryS V Rana
Department of Gastroenterology, PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Dig Dis Sci 53:1797-800. 2008..We hypothesize that patients in the chronic phase of corrosive injury may have delayed orocecal transit time (OCTT)...
- Italian experience in adult clinical intestinal and multivisceral transplantation: 6 years laterA Lauro
Liver and Multiorgan Transplant Unit, University of Bologna, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Transplant Proc 39:1987-91. 2007..All patients were adults of median age at transplant of 34.7 years and mean weight 59.6 kg. All recipients were on total parenteral nutrition for a mean time of 38.8 months. Mean donor/recipient body weight ratio was 1.1...
- Comprehensive surgical intestinal rescue and transplantation program in adult patients: Bologna experienceC Zanfi
Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Transplant Proc 42:39-41. 2010..Intestinal transplant surgery is thought to rescue patients in whom complications of total parenteral nutrition (TPN) develop...
- Effect of the herbal medicine dai-kenchu-to on gastrointestinal motility in patients with megacystis-microcolon-intestinal hypoperistalsis syndrome (MMIHS) and chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction (CIIP): report of two casesHitoshi Hirakawa
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, 143 Shimokasuya, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1193, Japan
Tokai J Exp Clin Med 34:28-33. 2009..MMIHS and CIIP are speculated to have different pathogenesis regarding gastrointestinal pseudo-obstruction based upon the effect of this drug...
- Gastrointestinal and hepatic manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosusEllen C Ebert
Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:436-41. 2011..SLE can involve the entire GI tract and the liver. Treatment with corticosteroids, cytotoxic agents, and/or immunosuppressants is often successful...
- Cerebellar degeneration and hearing loss in a patient with idiopathic myenteric ganglionitisGuido Basilisco
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Milan, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Milan, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:449-52. 2005..The case shows that an idiopathic inflammatory insult of the myenteric plexus may precede (and perhaps lead to) central nervous system impairment in patients with anti-Hu-associated chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction...
- Severe paraneoplastic gastroparesis associated with anti-Hu antibodies preceding the manifestation of small-cell lung cancerM Nguyen-Tat
Department of Internal Medicine II, HSK Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden, Germany
Z Gastroenterol 46:274-8. 2008..The pathophysiology of paraneoplastic gastroparesis, the diagnostic relevance of anti-Hu antibodies as well as therapeutic options are discussed...
- The medical management of intestinal failure: methods to reduce the severityJeremy M D Nightingale
Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 62:703-10. 2003..Growth factors normally produced by the colon (e.g. glucagon-like peptide-2) to induce structural jejunal adaptation have been given in high doses to patients with a jejunostomy and do marginally increase the daily energy absorption...
- New insights into human enteric neuropathiesR De Giorgio
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Neurogastroenterol Motil 16:143-7. 2004..The study of the ENS abnormalities in gut dysmotility provides a framework to better understand the mechanisms involved in degeneration and neuronal loss and fosters the development of targeted therapeutic options...
- [Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes]Jean Christophe Antoine
Service de Neurologie, Hopital Bellevue, CHU, Saint Etienne 02
Presse Med 36:1418-26. 2007..In patients with one of these syndromes, the best treatment of the neurological disease is often the diagnosis and early treatment of the cancer...
- Enteral nutrition for severe malnutrition in chronic intestinal pseudo-obstructionJaya Benjamin
Department of Gastroenterology and Human Nutrition, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Nutrition 26:502-5. 2010..Our aim was to keep his post prandial symptoms to a minimum and nutritionally build him up with enteral nutrition (EN)...
- Pseudopneumoperitoneum in chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: a case reportLuigi Camera
Department of Bio morphological and Functional Sciences, University Federico II, 80131 Naples, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 17:2972-5. 2011..The patient was submitted to pan-colonoscopy and to anorectal manometry to rule out Hirshprung's disease, and was finally discharged with a diagnosis of CIPO...
- Gastrointestinal dysmotility in mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathy is caused by mitochondrial DNA depletionCarla Giordano
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale, Sapienza, Universita di Roma, Roma, Italy
Am J Pathol 173:1120-8. 2008....
- Splenic flexure volvulus in a child with chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction syndromeAkinori Osuka
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Aichi Children s Health and Medical Center, 1 2 Osakada, Morioka cho, Obu City, Aichi 474 0031, Japan
Pediatr Surg Int 22:833-5. 2006..Postoperatively she made an uneventful recovery. Possible factors of pathogenesis and therapeutic measures are discussed...
- Role of Interstitial Cells of Cajal and their relationship with the enteric nervous systemJ M Vanderwinden
Université Libre de Bruxelles Laboratoire de Neurophysiologie et Physiopathologie du Système Nerveux Faculté de Médecine Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Morphol 37:250-6. 1999....
- Absence of the interstitial cell of Cajal network in mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathyV Zimmer
Department of Internal Medicine II, Saarland University Hospital, Homburg, Germany
Neurogastroenterol Motil 21:627-31. 2009....
- [Anesthesia for a pediatric multivisceral transplant]P Sanabria Carretero
Servicio de Anestesia Reanimación Pediátrica, Hospital Infantil Universitario, La Paz, Madrid
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 51:95-9. 2004....
- Interstitial cells of Cajal in human gut and gastrointestinal diseaseJ M Vanderwinden
Laboratoire de Neuropathologie et Physiopathologie du Système Nerveux, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Microsc Res Tech 47:344-60. 1999....
- [Intestinal pseudo-obstruction]H Haack
Medizinische Universitätsklinik Basel, Kantonsspital Bruderholz, Gastroenterologie, Bruderholz
Ther Umsch 64:217-20. 2007..Treatment of CIPO depends on the severity of the disease and often needs a multidisciplinary approach...
- [Marked efficacy of metronidazole for the intestinal pseudoobstruction associated with systemic sclerosis]Naoto Azuma
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Hyogo College of Medicine, Nishinomiya, Japan
Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi 34:53-61. 2011..In conclusion, we report a case where SSc-associated pseudo-obstruction was successfully managed by metronidazole therapy...
- Acute abdomen in SLEAnand N Malaviya
Department of Rheumatology, ISIC Superspeciality Hospital, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi, India
Int J Rheum Dis 14:98-104. 2011..v.-pulse) methylprednisolone for 3 days, i.v.-pulse cyclophosphamide 750 mg (one dose) along with oral methylprednisolone and other supportive measures including blood transfusions. This led to prompt and complete recovery...
- [A sixty-year-old man suffering from multiple system atrophy with pneumatosis intestinalis]Fumitaka Shimizu
Department of Neurology and Clinical Neuroscience, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:47-9. 2007....
- Italian guidelines for intestinal transplantation: potential candidates among the adult patients managed by a medical referral center for chronic intestinal failureL Pironi
Intestinal Failure Centre, Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Transplant Proc 36:659-61. 2004..Primary disease-related poor QoL was the indication in half of them. Studies on the QoL after ITx are required to allow patients to make an educated decision...
- From the bench to the 'crib'-side: implications of scientific advances to paediatric neurogastroenterology and motilityD K Chitkara
UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility Disorders, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Neurogastroenterol Motil 18:251-62. 2006..The purpose of this review is to highlight these advances with particular regard to the clinical impact they have in the understanding and management of disorders in the field of paediatric neurogastroenterology and motility...
- Severe intestinal obstruction on induced smooth muscle-specific ablation of the transcription factor SRF in adult miceMeike Angstenberger
Interfaculty Institute for Cell Biology, Tuebingen University, Tuebingen, Germany
Gastroenterology 133:1948-59. 2007..Genetic Srf deletion studies showed SRF to be indispensable for in vivo skeletal and cardiac muscle cell development. We now investigated for the first time in vivo SRF functions in smooth muscle cells of adult mice...
- A mutation in telethonin alters Nav1.5 functionAmelia Mazzone
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Biol Chem 283:16537-44. 2008..These results suggest a new role for telethonin, namely that telethonin is a sodium channel-interacting protein. Also, mutations in telethonin can alter Na(v)1.5 kinetics and may play a role in intestinal pseudo-obstruction...
- Is intestinal transplantation the future of children with definitive intestinal insufficiency?F Sauvat
UFR Necker Enfants Malades, University Rene Descartes Paris V, FAMA de Transplantation Intestinale, AP HP and the, National Reference Centre for Rare Digestive Diseases, Paris, France
Eur J Pediatr Surg 18:368-71. 2008..However, IT still has to demonstrate its benefit to children on long-term parenteral nutrition (PN). We tried to clarify this aspect by looking back at our 13 years' experience...
- RET LIGAND REGULATION OF INTESTINAL MOTILITYRobert Heuckeroth; Fiscal Year: 2009..All of the proposed experiments are designed to provide more detailed information about mechanisms of ENS development that may lead to novel treatment strategies for human motility disorders. ..
- VZV in the enteric nervous system: pathogenesis and consequencesMichael D Gershon; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- NEUROENDOCRINE CONTROL OF SMALL INTESTINAL MOTILITYThomas Nowak; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ultimately, this study will help to better understand the pathophysiology of motor abnormalities such as intestinal pseudoobstruction, paralytic ileus, and diabetic enteropathy...
- INTRINSIC NERVES AND REGULATION OF SMALL BOWEL MOTILITYConstantine Frantzides; Fiscal Year: 1990..Such information is essential to our understanding of small intestinal physiology as well as the mechanisms underlying motor disorders such as intestinal pseudo-obstruction...
- Intestinal Pacing for Intestinal Pseudo-ObstructionJiande Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Feasibility of such a novel method will be tested in this Phase I project. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Protein Kinase A and Intestinal Pseudo-obstructionGEORGE MCKNIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MUSCARINIC CONTROL OF GASTROINTESTINAL SMOOTH MUSCLEJeffrey Conklin; Fiscal Year: 1991..Alterations in these control mechanisms may be responsible for such illnesses as diffuse esophageal spasm or idiopathic intestinal pseudoobstruction. By taking this unique approach, new and useful information will be obtained...
- NO AND VIP IN GASTRIC MOTILITY USING KNOCKOUT MICEHiroshi Mashimo; Fiscal Year: 1999..This award will allow the applicant to develop into a productive independent investigator in the area of molecular physiology involving a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding and treatment of human diseases. ..
- Neuronal control of intestinal motility in mutant miceRobert Heuckeroth; Fiscal Year: 2007..Medical problems associated with abnormal intestinal motility include Hirschsprung's disease, intestinal pseudo-obstruction, and irritable bowel syndrome. ..
- SACRAL CREST CELLS AND ENTERIC NEURODEVELOPMENTRaj Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2005..The results of this study will further our understanding of normal enteric neurodevelopment and congenital disorders of intestinal motility. ..
- BIOLOGY OF HUMAN INTRAEPITHELIAL LYMPHOCYTESEllen Ebert; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will determine the mechanism of IEL chemotaxis toward secreted products of ECs, why IL-15 is more potent than IL-2 in inducing LAK activity by IELs, and how IL-10 and IL-12 augment this activity. ..
- PURINERGIC NEUROGENIC MUCOSAL SECRETIONJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology and Mechanisms of Fecal IncontinenceAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BRADYKININ IN ENTERIC NEUROIMMUNE COMMUNICATIONJACKIE WOOD; Fiscal Year: 2005..The overall goal of the study is to better understand the role of bradykinin in motility disturbances, diarrhea, abdominal pain and inflammation. ..
- Effects of Acupuncture on Gastric Motility in RatsToku Takahashi; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will study whether acupuncture shortens the period of postoperative ileus in rats. This study would provide beneficial information for patients with gastroparesis and postoperative ileus. ..
- Pathogenesis of a Novel Limb-Girdle Muscular DystrophyMichio Hirano; Fiscal Year: 2003..For the patients, achieving the proposed goals will allow more accurate prenatal diagnosis, genetic counseling, and perhaps contribute to more rational therapies in the future. ..