Genomes and Genes
Summary: INFLAMMATION of the MUCOUS MEMBRANE of the RECTUM, the distal end of the large intestine (INTESTINE, LARGE).
Publications193 found, 100 shown here
- Formaldehyde application for haemorrhagic radiation-induced proctitis: a clinical and histological studyR C Chautems
Outpatient Department, Unit of Proctology, University Hospital of Geneva, Micheli du Crest 24, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
Colorectal Dis 5:24-8. 2003Haemorrhagic radiation-induced proctitis is a serious complication of radiotherapy of pelvic organs. In severe cases, massive haemorrhage may necessitate hospitalization and repeated transfusions...
- Sucralfate versus mesalazine versus hydrocortisone in the prevention of acute radiation proctitis during conformal radiotherapy for prostate carcinoma. A randomized studyGiuseppe Sanguineti
Department of Radiation Oncology, National Institute for Cancer Research, Genova, Italy
Strahlenther Onkol 179:464-70. 2003..To assess whether the topical use of steroids or 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) is superior to sucralfate in preventing acute rectal toxicity during three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3DCRT) to 76 Gy...
- Defining the risk of developing grade 2 proctitis following 125I prostate brachytherapy using a rectal dose-volume histogram analysisK M Snyder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 50:335-41. 2001OBJECTIVE: To determine the rectal tolerance for developing Grade 2 radiation proctitis after 125I prostate implantation based on the rectal dose-volume histogram...
- Treatment of radiation proctitis with argon plasma coagulationW Tam
Dept of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and General Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, South Australia, Australia
Endoscopy 32:667-72. 2000Radiation proctitis is a troublesome complication of pelvic irradiation for malignancy. One common and occasionally serious complication is rectal bleeding. Therapeutic options for this condition are limited...
- Effective use of argon plasma coagulation in the treatment of severe radiation proctitisS Taieb
Hepato Gastroenterology Units, Centre Hospitalier Lyon Sud, Chemin du Grand Revoyet, 69495 Pierre Benite, France
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1766-71. 2001Chronic radiation proctitis, a well described complication of pelvic radiation therapy, can result in severe bleeding that is refractory to conventional treatment...
- Treatment of radiation proctitisK Leiper
Department of Gastroenterology, Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool, UK
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 19:724-9. 2007Late complications of pelvic radiotherapy occur in 5-20% of patients, particularly chronic radiation proctitis (CRP). Rectal bleeding is the most common symptom...
- Systematic review for non-surgical interventions for the management of late radiation proctitisA S Denton
Center for Cancer Treatment, Mount Vernon Hospital, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood, Middlesex HA6 2RN, UK
Br J Cancer 87:134-43. 2002Chronic radiation proctitis produces a range of clinical symptoms for which there is currently no recommended standard management...
- Argon plasma coagulation has a long-lasting therapeutic effect in patients with chronic radiation proctitisG Karamanolis
Hepatogastroenterology Unit, Second Department of Internal Medicine Propaedeutic, Attikon General Hospital, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Endoscopy 41:529-31. 2009The optimal treatment of bleeding due to radiation proctitis is still controversial. Although argon plasma coagulation (APC) has been recently reported as an effective treatment, its efficacy in relation to disease severity is unknown...
- Haemorrhagic radiation proctitis: endoscopic severity may be useful to guide therapyRoberto Zinicola
Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, HA1 3UJ, UK
Int J Colorectal Dis 18:439-44. 2003Management of haemorrhagic radiation proctitis remains controversial. Both endoscopically delivered argon plasma coagulation and rectal administration of formalin have been recommended...
- Successful and sustained treatment of chronic radiation proctitis with antioxidant vitamins E and CM Kennedy
Division of Digestive Diseases, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1080-4. 2001OBJECTIVE: Chronic radiation proctitis, a common sequelae of pelvic radiation, is characterized by obliteration of the submucosal vasculature with subsequent ischemia and reperfusion injury...
- Is there more than one proctitis syndrome? A revisitation using data from the TROG 96.01 trialAnne Capp
Calvary Mater Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Radiother Oncol 90:400-7. 2009..We sought to categorize longitudinal radiation-induced rectal toxicity data obtained from men participating in a randomised controlled trial for locally advanced prostate cancer...
- [Therapeutic strategy for hemorrhagic radiation proctitis--the optimum condition of argon plasma coagulation (APC)]Akiko Chino
Division of Gastroenterology, Cancer Institute Hospital
Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi 102:1405-11. 2005This study was performed to clarify the optimum condition of argon plasma coagulation (APC) to treat hemorrhagic radiation proctitis.
- Endoscopic treatment of chronic radiation proctopathySydney A Wilson
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 22:536-40. 2006..This paper summarizes the findings of experts in the field on endoscopic treatment of bleeding from chronic radiation proctopathy...
- Spontaneous improvement in late rectal mucosal changes after radiotherapy for prostate cancerPeter C O'Brien
Department of Radiation Oncology, Newcastle Mater Hospital, Waratah, NSW, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 58:75-80. 2004..To describe the natural history of mucosal changes, in particular the development of telangiectases in the rectum, after radiotherapy (RT) for prostate cancer...
- Argon plasma coagulation in chronic radiation proctitisA Postgate
Wolfson Unit for Endoscopy, St Mark s Hospital, London, UK
Endoscopy 39:361-5. 2007Chronic radiation proctitis is a relatively common late complication of pelvic irradiation. The main symptoms are diarrhea, urgency, tenesmus, and rectal bleeding...
- Mast cells are an essential component of human radiation proctitis and contribute to experimental colorectal damage in miceKarl Blirando
Laboratory of Radiopathology and Experimental Therapeutics, Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety IRSN, Fontenay aux Roses, France
Am J Pathol 178:640-51. 2011Radiation proctitis is characterized by mucosal inflammation followed by adverse chronic tissue remodeling and is associated with substantial morbidity and mortality...
- Formalin instillation for hemorrhagic radiation proctitisShingo Tsujinaka
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Florida, Weston, FL 33331, USA
Surg Innov 12:123-8. 2005Although formalin instillation has been proven to be an effective treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis, different techniques with varying success rates have been reported...
- Lymphoid follicular proctitis mimicking rectal lymphoma: diagnosis by EMRVanessa M Shami
Department of Endoscopy and Therapeutics, The University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 60:648-52. 2004
- A mechanism for abnormal angiogenesis in human radiation proctitis: analysis of expression profile for angiogenic factorsHisashi Takeuchi
Department of Gastroenterology and Oncology, Institute of Health Biosciences, University of Tokushima Graduate School, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
J Gastroenterol 47:56-64. 2012Radiation proctitis is an increasingly prevalent problem, with many patients being treated with radiotherapy for pelvic cancers. However, the mechanisms by which radiation proctitis develops in humans are not well understood...
- Pharmacotherapy for chronic hemorrhagic radiation proctitisYunus A Gul
Department of Surgery, University Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor 43400, Malaysia
World J Surg 26:1499-502. 2002..therapy and formalin are being increasingly recommended for the treatment of chronic hemorrhagic radiation proctitis. It may be too early, however, to discard pharmacologic agents from the management process, especially in ..
- Healing of late endoscopic changes in the rectum between 12 and 65 months after external beam radiotherapyGregor Goldner
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiobiology, Vienna General Hospital, University of Vienna Medical School, Austria
Strahlenther Onkol 187:202-5. 2011..To evaluate the time course of late rectal mucosal changes after prostate cancer radiotherapy (RT)...
- Efficacy and safety of mesalamine suppositories for treatment of ulcerative proctitis in children and adolescentsMelvin B Heyman
Department of Pediatrics, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0136, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 16:1931-9. 2010Treatment of ulcerative proctitis has not been well studied in pediatric populations...
- Argon plasma coagulation in the treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis is efficient but requires a perfect colonic cleansing to be safeE Ben-Soussan
Department of Gastroenterology, Rouen University Hospital Charles Nicolle, Rouen, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 16:1315-8. 2004We evaluate prospectively effectiveness, tolerance, predictive factors of failure and complications of argon plasma coagulation (APC) in the treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis (HRP).
- [Long term results of treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis by argon plasma coagulation]Jean Marc Canard
Centre Médico Chirurgical du Trocadéro
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 27:455-9. 2003To assess long term results of argon plasma coagulation (APC) treatment in hemorrhagic radiation proctitis.
- Etiology of clinical proctitis among men who have sex with menJeffrey D Klausner
San Francisco Department of Public Health, STD Prevention and Control Services, San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:300-2. 2004In this retrospective review of cases of clinical proctitis, we identified the frequency of common sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among men who have sex with men on the basis of reports from the municipal STD clinic in San ..
- A real-time quadriplex PCR assay for the diagnosis of rectal lymphogranuloma venereum and non-lymphogranuloma venereum Chlamydia trachomatis infectionsC Y Chen
Division of STD Prevention, National Center for HIV AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mail Stop G 39, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Sex Transm Infect 84:273-6. 2008..To develop and evaluate a real-time quadriplex PCR for the diagnosis of lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) and non-LGV chlamydial infections using rectal swab specimens...
- Argon plasma coagulation in chronic radiation proctitis: Postgate et alH J N Andreyev
Endoscopy 39:751-2; author reply 752. 2007
- Anti-TNF-alpha (infliximab) used as induction treatment in case of active proctitis in a multistep strategy followed by definitive surgery of complex anal fistulas in Crohn's disease: a preliminary reportStephan J van der Hagen
Department of Surgery, Academically Hospital of Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Dis Colon Rectum 48:758-67. 2005This study was designed to assess the healing rate of complex perianal fistulas in Crohn's disease after a multistep strategy, including induction treatment with Infliximab in case of active proctitis, followed by definitive surgery.
- How useful are observational reports in the evaluation of interventions for radiation morbidity?: an analysis of formalin therapy for late radiation proctitisA S Denton
Centre for Cancer Treatment, Mount Vernon Hospital, Rickmansworth Road, Northwood, Middlesex, HA6 2RN, UK
Radiother Oncol 64:291-5. 2002..Until then, we are left with the situation where some information exists, albeit in the form of case reports and small series. Should this information be used and what features would determine its strength?..
- Argon plasma coagulation is an effective treatment for refractory hemorrhagic radiation proctitisJ J Tjandra
Department of Surgery, Colorectal Unit, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria 3050, Australia
Dis Colon Rectum 44:1759-65; discussion 1771. 2001INTRODUCTION: Chronic radiation proctitis complicating pelvic radiotherapy can be debilitating. It commonly presents with rectal bleeding, which can be difficult to control...
- Endoscopic therapy for radiation proctitis-induced hemorrhage in patients with prostatic carcinoma using argon plasma coagulator applicationK S Venkatesh
Endoscopic Department, Valley Lutheran Hospital, Mesa, AZ 85202, USA
Surg Endosc 16:707-10. 2002Recurrent hemorrhage in patients with severe radiation proctitis is very common. It is often refractory to medical therapy. Endoscopic and surgical treatment may be required when conservative medical therapy fails...
- Delayed microbial cure of lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis with doxycycline treatmentHenry J C de Vries
Sexually Transmitted Infection Outpatient Clinic, Health Service Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 48:e53-6. 2009Microbial cure of chlamydia proctitis (lymphogranuloma venereum [LGV] and non-LGV) with doxycycline treatment was evaluated by chlamydia DNA and RNA persistence in anal swab specimens. In LGV proctitis, RNA persisted for up to 16 days...
- Rectal tacrolimus in the treatment of resistant ulcerative proctitisI C Lawrance
Centre for inflammatory Bowel Diseases, Fremantle Hospital, Fremantle, WA, Australia
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 28:1214-20. 2008Resistant ulcerative proctitis can be extremely difficult to manage. Oral tacrolimus can be effective, but may have numerous adverse effects. Topically administered tacrolimus, however, may also be effective in proctitis...
- Medical management of left-sided ulcerative colitis and ulcerative proctitis: critical evaluation of therapeutic trialsMiguel Regueiro
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center and Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 12:979-94. 2006The goal of this work was to critically evaluate the published studies on the treatment of ulcerative proctitis (UP) and left-sided ulcerative colitis (L-UC)...
- Acute ischemic proctitis: report of four casesDipen Maun
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai Medical Center and Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10029, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1082-6. 2007Acute ischemic proctitis is an extremely rare clinical entity...
- Clinical guidelines for the medical management of left-sided ulcerative colitis and ulcerative proctitis: summary statementMiguel Regueiro
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center and Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 12:972-8. 2006..This article provides treatment guidelines for the induction and maintenance of ulcerative proctitis and left-sided colitis and the management of disease refractory to 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) compounds and ..
- Efficacy of rebamipide enemas in active distal ulcerative colitis and proctitis: a prospective study reportK Makiyama
Department of Endoscopy, Nagasaki University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry, Sakamoto, Nagasaki, Japan
Dig Dis Sci 50:2323-9. 2005..In conclusion, rebamipide topical therapy appears to be effective for the treatment of mildly to moderately active distal UC. Further controlled studies are warranted for this promising drug...
- Treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis with 4 percent formalinS Parikh
Colon and Rectal Residency, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 46:596-600. 2003..The purpose of this study was to review our results in patients undergoing treatment with 4 percent formalin for radiation-induced injury to the rectum...
- Efficacy and safety of argon plasma coagulation for the treatment of hemorrhagic radiation proctitisC de la Serna Higuera
Unidad de Aparato Digestivo, Hospital Virgen de la Concha, Zamora, Spain
Rev Esp Enferm Dig 96:758-64. 2004..To evaluate the efficacy, safety and medium-/long-term clinical course of patients undergoing endoscopic treatment with argon plasma coagulation for hemorrhagic radiation proctopathy...
- Sucralfate does not ameliorate acute radiation proctitis: randomised study and meta-analysisN Hovdenak
Division of Gastroenterology, Section of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway
Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 17:485-91. 2005..We report here a prospective, randomised, placebo-controlled study of prophylactic sucralfate during pelvic radiotherapy. In addition, a meta-analysis of available data from the literature has been carried out...
- Mesalamine foam enema versus mesalamine liquid enema in active left-sided ulcerative colitisAntoine Cortot
Gastroenterologie, Hopital Claude Huriez, Lille, France
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3106-14. 2008..To determine in a noninferiority study whether mesalamine foam is as effective as mesalamine liquid enema for inducing clinical remission in patients with active left-sided ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- Analysis of rectal Chlamydia trachomatis serovar distribution including L2 (lymphogranuloma venereum) at the Erasmus MC STI clinic, RotterdamR Waalboer
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, Netherlands
Sex Transm Infect 82:207-11. 2006..The aim of this study was to explore possible relations between demographics, sexual behaviour, clinical manifestations, rectal symptoms, and chlamydial serovars including L2 (lymphogranuloma venereum)...
- Application of 10 percent formalin for the treatment of radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitisEric M Haas
Department of Surgery, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 50:213-7. 2007..of 4 percent formalin solution has been described as a successful treatment for hemorrhagic radiation proctitis recalcitrant to medical treatment...
- A phase II study to evaluate WF10 in patients with late hemorrhagic radiation cystitis and proctitisVutisiri Veerasarn
Division of Radiation Oncology, Department of Radiology, Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Gynecol Oncol 100:179-84. 2006To evaluate efficacy and safety of WF10 (TCDO iv solution) therapy in patients with late hemorrhagic radiation cystitis and proctitis in a long-term follow up.
- [Course and natural history of idiopathic ulcerative proctitis in adults]M Ghirardi
Università degli Studi di Brescia Cattedra di Chirurgia Generale
Ann Ital Chir 73:155-8; discussion 158-9. 2002Epidemiological studies have shown that ulcerative proctitis represents 25-55% of ulcerative colitis...
- Appendicectomy as a therapy for ulcerative proctitisTerry Dorcen Bolin
Gastrointestinal and Liver Unit, Department of Medicine, The Prince of Wales Hospital, 201 Avoca Street, Randwick 2031, New South Wales, Sydney 2031, Australia
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2476-82. 2009..Available data regarding whether appendicectomy performed after the onset of ulcerative colitis can modulate its clinical course are currently limited. This study aimed at addressing this issue...
- Ulcerative proctitis: a review of pharmacotherapy and managementPeter Laszlo Lakatos
Semmelweis University, First Department of Medicine, H1083 Budapest, Koranyi S 2A, Hungary
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:741-9. 2008Ulcerative proctitis (UP) is a common presentation of ulcerative colitis (UC).
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatment of chronic refractory radiation proctitis: a randomized and controlled double-blind crossover trial with long-term follow-upRichard E Clarke
Baromedical Research Foundation, Columbia, SC 29203, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:134-143. 2008..We conducted a randomized, controlled, double-blind crossover trial with long-term follow-up to evaluate the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen for refractory radiation proctitis.
- Metronidazole in the treatment of chronic radiation proctitis: clinical trialJ Cavcic
Department of Surgery, Zagreb University Hospital Center, Kispaticeva 12, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 41:314-8. 2000To evaluate the effectiveness of metronidazole in combination with corticosteroids in enema and mesalazine (5-aminosalicylic acid) in comparison with the same protocol without metronidazole in the treatment of chronic radiation proctitis.
- Lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis in men who have sex with men is associated with anal enema use and high-risk behaviorHenry J C de Vries
STI Outpatient Clinic, Cluster Infectious Diseases, Public Health Service Amsterdam The Netherlands
Sex Transm Dis 35:203-8. 2008In the industrialized world, lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis (LGVP) has been reported only in men who have sex with men. Factors responsible for the outbreak remain to be elucidated.
- Diverting loop colostomy for the treatment of refractory gastrointestinal bleeding secondary to radiation proctitisJ Ayerdi
Department of General Surgery, Guthrie Clinic/Robert Packer Hospital, One Guthrie Square, Sayre, PA 18840, USA
Mil Med 166:1091-3. 2001Chronic radiation proctitis is an uncommon and serious complication of radiotherapy for pelvic malignancies. It has been suggested that fecal stream diversion decreases bowel irritation, resulting in decreased rectal bleeding...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum diagnostics: from culture to real-time quadriplex polymerase chain reactionServaas A Morre
Sex Transm Infect 84:252-3. 2008
- Chronic radiation proctitisP P Tagkalidis
Department of Gastroenterology, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Victoria, Australia
ANZ J Surg 71:230-7. 2001..use of radiation therapy in pelvic malignancy has led to an increase in the incidence of chronic radiation proctitis. The commonest presenting complaint is rectal bleeding...
- Effect of a prostaglandin--given rectally for prevention of radiation-induced acute proctitis--on late rectal toxicity. Results of a phase III randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind studyTereza Kertesz
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, Gottingen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 185:596-602. 2009..In the acute treatment setting no significant differences in reducing the incidence of acute proctitis symptoms in patients receiving misoprostol, however, significantly more rectal bleeding had been reported.
- Neutrophil and eosinophil granule proteins as markers of response to local prednisolone treatment in distal ulcerative colitis and proctitisP Sangfelt
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Uppsala, Sweden
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1085-90. 2001..granulocytes in relation to steroid enema treatment was studied in patients with distal ulcerative colitis and proctitis. METHODS: The rectal release of the neutrophil (myeloperoxidase, MPO), and eosinophil (eosinophilic cationic ..
- Efficacy and safety of single-session argon plasma coagulation in the management of chronic radiation proctitisMichael P Swan
Endoscopy Unit, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Gastrointest Endosc 72:150-4. 2010Chronic radiation proctitis (CRP) manifests as rectal bleeding 12 to 24 months after pelvic radiotherapy...
- Allergic proctitis and abdominal distention mimicking Hirschsprung's disease in infantsJee Hyun Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Acta Paediatr 96:1784-9. 2007To determine the incidence and clinical aspects of allergic proctitis (AP) in infants with symptoms that mimic Hirschsprung's disease (HD).
- Sexually transmitted proctitisE Hamlyn
Department of Sexual Health and HIV Medicine, Caldecot Centre, King s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London SE5 9RS, UK
Postgrad Med J 82:733-6. 2006..Europe highlight the need to consider sexually transmitted infections in the differential diagnosis of proctitis. This article examines the causative organisms, clinical features, diagnosis and treatment of sexually ..
- Bacteremia caused by Solobacterium moorei in a patient with acute proctitis and carcinoma of the cervixSusanna K P Lau
Department of Microbiology, State Key Laboratory of Emerging Infectious Diseases, Tuen Mun Hospital, Hong Kong
J Clin Microbiol 44:3031-4. 2006We describe a case of Solobacterium moorei bacteremia in a 43-year-old woman presenting with acute proctitis complicating radiotherapy for cervical carcinoma...
- Human neutrophil lipocalin is a unique marker of neutrophil inflammation in ulcerative colitis and proctitisM Carlson
Laboratory for Inflammation Research, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Uppsala, Sweden
Gut 50:501-6. 2002..The present study was performed to evaluate human neutrophil lipocalin (HNL) as a specific neutrophil marker in the inflamed lesions of the colon and rectum in patients with colitis and proctitis.
- A prospective study of faecal calprotectin and lactoferrin in the monitoring of acute radiation proctitis in prostate cancer treatmentAndrea Hille
Department of Radiotherapy and Radio Oncology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:52-8. 2008Acute radiation proctitis is a relevant complication of pelvic radiation. The purpose of this study was to investigate two markers of gut inflammation as non-invasive diagnostic tools to evaluate acute radiation proctitis.
- Resurgence of lymphogranuloma venereum in Western Europe: an outbreak of Chlamydia trachomatis serovar l2 proctitis in The Netherlands among men who have sex with menRutger F Nieuwenhuis
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Clin Infect Dis 39:996-1003. 2004..Recently, 3 men who have sex with men presented with LGV proctitis at the Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands...
- Proctitis complicating stapled hemorrhoidectomy: report of a caseA Arroyo
Int J Colorectal Dis 21:197-8. 2006
- Proctitis after external-beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer classified by Vienna Rectoscopy Score and correlated with EORTC/RTOG score for late rectal toxicity: results of a prospective multicenter study of 166 patientsGregor Goldner
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiobiology, Vienna General Hospital, University of Vienna Medical School, Vienna, Austria
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 67:78-83. 2007....
- A phase III randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of misoprostol rectal suppositories to prevent acute radiation proctitis in patients with prostate cancerAndrea Hille
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiooncology, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 63:1488-93. 2005Acute radiation proctitis is the most relevant complication of pelvic radiation and is still mainly treated supportively...
- Diagnosing chlamydia and managing proctitis in men who have sex with men: current UK practiceA McMillan
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College, London W2 1PG, UK
Sex Transm Infect 84:97-100. 2008This study was undertaken to ascertain clinic practices with respect to testing men who have sex with men (MSM) for chlamydial infection and the management of men with proctitis.
- Radiation proctitis. Clinical and pathological manifestations, therapy and prophylaxis of acute and late injurious effects of radiation on the rectal mucosaF B Zimmermann
Klinik und Poliklinik für Strahlentherapie und Radiologische Onkologie, Klinikum rechts der Isar der Technischen Universitat Munchen
Strahlenther Onkol 174:85-9. 1998..Often the rectum is the dose-limiting organ in curative radiation therapy of pelvic malignancies. It reacts with serous, mucoid, or more rarely bloody diarrhea...
- Megacolon and stercoral proctitis after frequent fecal impactions: report of an unusual case and review of the literatureJen Tzer Gau
Department of Geriatric Medicine Gerontology, College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:338-41. 2007..Complications and management of fecal impaction and the pathophysiology of megacolon in the literature are reviewed and discussed...
- Epidermal growth factor enemas with oral mesalamine for mild-to-moderate left-sided ulcerative colitis or proctitisAtul Sinha
Department of Gastroenterology, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 349:350-7. 2003Epidermal growth factor (EGF) is a potent mitogenic peptide produced by salivary glands. We examined whether EGF enemas are an effective treatment for active left-sided ulcerative colitis and ulceration limited to the rectum (proctitis).
- Formalin application in the treatment of chronic radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitis--an effective but not risk-free procedure: a prospective study of 33 patientsVincent De Parades
Proctologie médico interventionnelle, Groupe Hospitalier Diaconesses Croix Saint Simon, Paris, France
Dis Colon Rectum 48:1535-41. 2005This prospective study evaluated the efficacy and safety of local formalin application in chronic refractory radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitis.
- Transient P-cadherin expression in radiation proctitis; a model of mucosal injury and repairRobert G Hardy
Department of Surgery, Clinical Research Institute, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
J Pathol 197:194-200. 2002..Three characteristic phases of radiation proctitis were defined on histological grounds (acute injury, and early and late regenerative phases) essentially ..
- Severe proctitis, perforation, and fatal rectal bleeding secondary to cytomegalovirus in an immunocompetent patient: report of a caseImran Alam
Department of Surgery, Morriston Hospital, Swansea, SA6 6NL, UK
Surg Today 37:66-9. 2007..We describe a case of fatal CMV proctitis in a 71-year-old man following an Ivor-Lewis esophagectomy...
- Effect of pentoxifylline and tocopherol on radiation proctitis/enteritisAndrea Hille
Department of Radiotherapy and Radiation Oncology, University of Goettingen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 181:606-14. 2005Chronic radiation proctitis/enteritis is a relevant complication of pelvic irradiation, which is still mainly treated by supportive measures only...
- [Gonorrheal proctitis imitating proctalgia fugax]A Nechvátal
Dermatovenerologická klinika 2 LF UK a FNB, Praha
Cas Lek Cesk 143:264-5. 2004..The careful history and laboratory examination confirmed gonorrheal proctitis. She was then successfully treated with ceftriaxon.
- Intrarectal amifostine during external beam radiation therapy for prostate cancer produces significant improvements in Quality of Life measured by EPIC scoreNicole L Simone
Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:90-5. 2008To test whether intrarectal amifostine limits symptoms of radiation proctitis, measured by using the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) gastrointestinal (GI) toxicity score and the Expanded Prostate Cancer Index Composite (EPIC) ..
- Endoluminal formalin application for haemorrhagic radiation proctitisF L Vyas
Department of Surgery Unit 2, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Vellore 632004, India
Colorectal Dis 8:342-6. 2006Radiation proctitis is a common complication following radiation therapy for pelvic malignancies. This is associated with significant morbidity which adversely affects the quality of life...
- Intrarectal amifostine suspension may protect against acute proctitis during radiation therapy for prostate cancer: a pilot studyAnurag K Singh
Radiation Oncology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 65:1008-13. 2006Our goal was to test the ability of intrarectal amifostine to limit symptoms of radiation proctitis.
- Formalin application for the treatment of radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitisSun Il Lee
Department of Surgery, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 146 92 Dogok dong, Kangnam Gu, Seoul 135 720, Korea
Yonsei Med J 48:97-100. 2007Radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitis (RIHP) is a serious complication of pelvic irradiation, and a 4% formalin solution has been used for 20 years in treating this sequelae...
- Treatment of haemorrhagic radiation-induced proctopathy using small volume topical formalin instillationS N Cullen
Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, Berkshire, UK
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1575-9. 2006..Rectal bleeding of varying severity can occur as a consequence. There have been no formal trials of treatment for haemorrhagic radiation proctopathy and a variety of methods are currently used...
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation induced proctopathy in men treated for prostate cancerMarc A Dall'Era
Section of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Virginia Mason Medical Center and Department of Urology, University of Washington, 1100 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98111, USA
J Urol 176:87-90. 2006Radiation proctitis is a common complication following external beam radiation therapy and brachytherapy for prostate cancer...
- Acute and late gastrointestinal toxicity after radiotherapy in prostate cancer patients: consequential late damageWilma D Heemsbergen
Department of Radiation Oncology, The Netherlands Cancer Institute Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:3-10. 2006..Late gastrointestinal (GI) toxicity after radiotherapy can be partly explained by late effects of acute toxicity (consequential late damage). We studied whether there is a direct relationship between acute and late GI toxicity...
- Incidence and clinical course of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis after iodine-125 prostate brachytherapyMark V Mishra
Radiation Oncology Department, University of Cincinnati, OH 45207, USA
Clin Genitourin Cancer 5:397-400. 2007Hemorrhagic radiation proctitis (HRP) is a potential complication of prostate brachytherapy. We sought to determine the incidence and clinical course of hemorrhagic radiation proctitis after iodine-125 (125I) prostate brachytherapy.
- Incidence of late rectal and urinary toxicities after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy for localized prostate cancerMichael J Zelefsky
Department of Radiation Oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:1124-9. 2008..To report the incidence and predictors of treatment-related toxicity at 10 years after three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy (3D-CRT) and intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) for localized prostate cancer...
- Time patterns of changes in biomarkers, symptoms and histopathology during pelvic radiotherapyAnnette Larsen
Section of Oncology, Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, and Department of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Acta Oncol 46:639-50. 2007Acute radiation proctitis was evaluated before, during and after radiotherapy (RT) for prostate cancer...
- Two percent formalin retention enemas for hemorrhagic radiation proctitis: a preliminary reportRamaiyer Raghu Raman
Department of Radiation Oncology, MNJ Institute of Oncology and Regional Cancer Centre, Hyderabad, India
Dis Colon Rectum 50:1032-9. 2007The short-term safety and efficacy of 2 percent formalin administered as a retention enema for hemorrhagic radiation proctitis was studied.
- A genetically determined dose-volume histogram predicts for rectal bleeding among patients treated with prostate brachytherapyJamie A Cesaretti
Department of Radiation Oncology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 68:1410-6. 2007..To examine whether possession of genetic alterations in the ATM (ataxia telangiectasia) gene is associated with rectal bleeding in a dose-dependent and volume-dependent manner...
- Education and imaging. Gastrointestinal: radiation proctitisM Venerito
Department of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Infectious Diseases, Otto von Guericke Medical School, University of Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Germany
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:761. 2007
- Increase of hepcidin plasma and urine levels is associated with acute proctitis and changes in hemoglobin levels in primary radiotherapy for prostate cancerHans Christiansen
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Goettingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37099 Goettingen, Germany
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 133:297-304. 2007..To analyse hepcidin serum and urine levels during radiotherapy for prostate cancer...
- Anorectal cancer following topical formalin application for haemorrhagic radiation proctitisD R Stern
Division of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY 10029, USA
Colorectal Dis 9:275-8. 2007Topical formalin has been used as an effective treatment for haemorrhagic radiation proctitis. In the course of reviewing our experience with this modality, we identified two patients who developed anorectal cancer during the follow-up ..
- Development of a European organization for research and treatment of cancer module to assess the quality of life of patients with proctitis after pelvic radiotherapy for malignancyNigel Spry
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 72:522-8. 2008To describe the development of a proctitis-specific quality-of-life module to supplement the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30).
- Colorectal complications of external beam radiation versus brachytherapy for prostate cancerRichard N Lesperance
Department of Surgery, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA, USA
Am J Surg 195:616-20; discussion 620. 2008..We sought to determine the prevalence and significance of colorectal complications after external beam radiation (EBRT) versus brachytherapy (BT) for prostate cancer...
- Six year experience of external beam radiotherapy, brachytherapy boost with a 1Ci (192)Ir source, and neoadjuvant hormonal manipulation for prostate cancerMichael A Izard
Radiation Oncology Associates, Mater Hospital, North Sydney, NSW, Australia
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:38-47. 2006..To present preliminary outcomes of pulsed dose rate brachytherapy (PDR-BT), external beam radiotherapy (EBRT), and hormonal manipulation, for prostate cancer...
- [Rectal radiation injuries treated by Shen Ling Bai Zhu powders combined with rectal administration of western drugs]Yan ping Tian
Huzhou Normal college, Medical School, Zhejing Province, Zhejing 313000
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi 28:159-60. 2008
- [Brachyterapy in localized prostate cancer]J M Abascal Junquera
Servicio Urologia, Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias, Oviedo
Actas Urol Esp 31:617-26. 2007..The objective of the present study is to expose our experience from the year 1998, when we made the first treatment, until today. The results and the morbidity of the patients over a 7 and a half years period are analyzed...
- Formalin application in the treatment of chronic radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitis induces acute deterioration of mucosal blood flowTsuyoshi Konishi
Dis Colon Rectum 49:530-1; author reply 531-2. 2006
- Difference in rectal dosimetry between pre-plan and post-implant analysis in transperineal interstitial brachytherapy for prostate cancerHiromichi Ishiyama
Department of Radiology, Kitasato University School of Medicine, Kanagawa, Japan
Radiother Oncol 78:194-8. 2006..To investigate differences in rectal dosimetry between pre-plan ultrasonography (US) and post-implant computed tomography (CT)...
- Endoscopic and histopathologic findings after formalin application for hemorrhage caused by chronic radiation-induced proctitisTsuyoshi Konishi
Department of Surgical Oncology, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 61:161-4. 2005
- Dosimetric factors predicting severe radiation-induced bowel complications in patients with cervical cancer: combined effect of external parametrial dose and cumulative rectal doseEng Yen Huang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Kaohsiung Hsien, Taiwan
Gynecol Oncol 95:101-8. 2004..The purpose of this study was to analyze dosimetric factors of radiation-induced severe bowel complications among patients with cervical cancer...
- Fournier's gangrene as a complication of steroid enema use for treatment of radiation proctitisKate S Nabha
Division of Urology, Veterans Affairs Boston Healthcare System, MA, USA
Urology 64:587-8. 2004
- High-dose-rate iridium-192 afterloading therapy combined with external beam radiotherapy for T1c-T3bN0M0 prostate cancerYoshimasa Jo
Department ofUrology, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki City, Okayama, Japan
Urology 64:556-60. 2004..To determine the efficacy of radiotherapy (RT) for T1c-T3bN0M0 prostate cancer in a prospective clinical trial of concurrent external beam RT and fractionated iridium-192 high-dose-rate brachytherapy...
- Local formalin instillation: an effective treatment for uncontrolled radiation-induced hemorrhagic proctitisR Ouwendijk
Department of General Surgery, IJsselland Hospital, Capelle a d Ijssel, The Netherlands
Dig Surg 19:52-5. 2002The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of local instillation of 4% formalin in the management of uncontrolled radiation-induced and ischemic hemorrhagic proctitis.
- Genome-Wide Study to Identify SNPs and CNPs Associated with Radiation InjuryBARRY S contact ROSENSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..patients treated with brachytherapy experience radiation-induced injury manifested as either urinary morbidity, proctitis or erectile dysfunction (ED)...
- HOST FACTORS MEDIATE INVASION BY CAMPYLOBACTER JEJUNILINDA MANSFIELD; Fiscal Year: 2002..bacterium opportunistically invades the gastrointestinal tract, especially the colon, causing gastroenteritis, proctitis, and occasionally other problems, but the factors controlling this invasion are largely unknown...
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN PEDIATRIC GASTROENTEROLOGY/NUTRITIONMelvin Heyman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Key faculty include two Associate Directors, Core Divisional Faculty and Senior Faculty Mentors with professorial positions at UCSF. Support for 3 trainees per year is requested. ..
- OSCCAR: A Novel, Population-based Prospective Inception Cohort of Inflammatory BoBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will follow these patients over time to determine the progression of their disease and to compare this to markers in the blood as a way of developing a system to predict the individual course of disease. ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN PEDIATRIC GASTROENTEROLOGY/NUTRITIONMelvin Heyman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Key faculty include two Associate Directors, Core Divisional Faculty and Senior Faculty Mentors with professorial positions at UCSF. Support for 3 trainees per year is requested ..
- IMMUNOMODULATION IN INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASEBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2004..The principal investigator seeks to become an independent clinical investigator by completing the didactic and scientific portions of this proposal. ..
- ROLE OF HYALURONAN IN INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASEScott Strong; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Pathologic Markers of Genetic Damage and Disease in IBDMelvin Heyman; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- IMURAN Dose Ranging Study in Crohn's DiseaseBRUCE SANDS; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- Studies in Children with Digestive DisordersMelvin Heyman; Fiscal Year: 2007..In this enriched environment, trainees are stimulated to prepare for academic careers. The K24 award provides me with essential support for these educational and investigational efforts. ..