Summary: An abnormal passage between two or more arteries, or between an artery and a vein.
Publications171 found, 100 shown here
- Aortoesophageal fistula-relief of massive hematemesis with an endovascular stent-graftN Kato
Department of Radiology, Mie University Hospital, 2 174 Edobashi, Tsu, Mie, Japan
Eur J Radiol 34:63-6. 2000..5 months later, which was caused by a tracheoesophageal fistula. Stent-graft repair is a safe and effective method to treat aortoesophageal fistula and may be an alternative to surgical resection...
- Perforation of the oesophagus and aorta after eating fish: an unusual cause of chest painH D'Costa
Horton Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe Hospitals NHS Trust, Banbury, UK
Emerg Med J 20:385-6. 2003..In the case described here, the fistula was demonstrated on contrast computed tomography before surgery, thus informing surgical management. The patient is the eighth reported survivor...
- Emergency endovascular repair of an aortoesophageal fistula caused by a foreign bodyJoeri Assink
Department of Vascular Surgery, VU University Medical Center, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Endovasc Ther 12:129-33. 2005..To report stent-graft treatment of an aortoesophageal fistula caused by a foreign body...
- Diagnosis and management of aortoesophageal fistula caused by a foreign bodyGiuseppe S Sica
Department of Surgery, Oxford, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 77:2217-8. 2004..A case of aortoesophageal fistula caused by a swallowed fish bone leading to respiratory arrest is reported. The clinical presentation was unusual. The successful treatment required the use of hypothermic circulatory arrest...
- Successful repair of an aortoesophageal fistula with aneurysm from esophageal diverticulumFuyuhiko Yasuda
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and The Second Department of Surgery, Mie University School of Medicine, Tsu, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 73:637-9. 2002..In this case, esophageal diverticulum was diagnosed before the development of an aortoesophageal fistula associated with an aneurysm...
- Surgical management of primary aortoesophageal fistula secondary to thoracic aneurysmM J Reardon
Department of Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 69:967-70. 2000..We report a successful repair of primary aortoesophageal fistula, secondary to descending thoracic aortic aneurysm, and review the evolution of management since the three previously reported successful repairs at our institution...
- Endovascular repair of bleeding aortoenteric fistulas: a 5-year experienceJ A Burks
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Vasc Surg 34:1055-9. 2001..In the setting of gross infection, it may also be considered in high-risk patients as a bridge to more definitive treatment after hemodynamic stabilization and optimization...
- Long-term follow-up of acquired coronary artery fistula after septal myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathyAshish Awasthi
Division of Cardiology, State University of New York, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 15:1104-7. 2002..Medical therapy appears to be the appropriate treatment strategy in these patients...
- Diagnosis of a coronary artery fistula thirty years after myectomy for septal hypertrophyJ Voet
Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Gent, Belgium
Acta Cardiol 55:197-8. 2000..We discuss the prevalence, diagnosis and natural history of coronary artery fistulas. In our patient we followed a conservative strategy...
- Aortoduodenal fistulas after endovascular stent-graft repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: single-center experience and review of the literatureNikolaos Saratzis
1st Department of Surgery, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Endovasc Ther 15:441-8. 2008..To report a single-center experience with aortoduodenal fistula (ADF) after successful endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) of an infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula: a challenge to the vascular surgeonGian Franco Veraldi
I Divisione Clinicizzata di Chirurgia Generale, SSO Ospedaliera di Chirurgia Vascolare, Azienda Ospedaliero, Universitaria di Verona, Ospedale Civile Maggiore, Verona
Chir Ital 60:273-7. 2008..The postoperative course was uneventful and after 6 months the patient is doing well without any recurrence of infection...
- Endovascular repair of a presumed aortoduodenal fistulaShinichi Suzuki
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 11:424-8. 2005..The ulcer-like lesions at the site of the duodenal wall perforated by the pseudoaneurysm also resolved. Endovascular stent-grafts may have a role to play in management of aortoduodenal fistula...
- [Aortoduodenal fistulae: about two cases]Y Kalko
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique et Cardiovasculaire, hôpital de Bezm I Alem Vakif Gureba, Capa, Istanbul, Turquie
Ann Chir 131:331-3. 2006..The results of surgical treatment may be disappointing because of postoperative complications. We report here two cases and discuss the diagnostic investigations and characteristics of aortoduodenal fistulae...
- Aortoduodenal fistula after abdominal aortic stent graft presenting with extremity abscessesSean P Lyden
Department of Vascular Surgery, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA
Vascular 13:305-8. 2005..AEF can occur after endoluminal stent graft (ELG) in the absence of aneurysm growth, endoleak, migration, or inflammation. AEF can cause ELG infection and extremity infection...
- Staged endovascular stent-grafting and surgical treatment of a secondary aortoduodenal fistulaF Biancari
Department of Surgery, Oulu University Hospital, P O Box 21, 90229 Oulu, Finland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 31:42-3. 2006..Forty days after stent-grafting, Tc-99m-HMPAO labelled leukocyte scanning failed to identify leukocyte infiltration of the graft and there were no clinical signs of infection. At 8-month follow up, the patient was asymptomatic...
- Acute gastrointestinal bleeding due to primary aortoduodenal fistula: report of two rare casesUfuk Tutun
Clinic of Cardiovascular Surgery, Turkiye Yuksek Ihtisas Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 15:253-7. 2004..In this report, a case of ruptured primary aortic aneurysm and another case of para-aortic pseudo-aneurysm connected with the duodenum, both of which were treated successfully by surgical operation, are presented...
- Secondary aortoenteric fistulaKimihiro Yoshimoto
Department of Vascular Surgery, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
J Vasc Surg 42:805. 2005
- Primary aortoenteric fistula: should enhanced computed tomography be considered in the diagnostic work-up?Alice Wood
Division of Surgical Intensive Care, Department of APSIC, University Hospital of Geneva, CH 1211, Geneva 14, Switzerland
Anesth Analg 101:1157-9, table of contents. 2005..The reliability of radiological investigations and the importance of being alert to the possibility of this extremely rare condition are discussed...
- Aortoduodenal fistula complicated by acupunctureSung A Chang
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Int J Cardiol 104:241-2. 2005..In this article, we present a case of 68-year-old man who died of massive hematemesis resulting from aortoduodenal fistula (ADF), a rare complication of acupuncture therapy...
- Secondary aortoduodenal fistula with a fatal outcome: report of six casesPanagiotis Katsinelos
Department of Endoscopy and Motility Unit, Aristotle University, G Gennimatas Hospital, Ethnikis Aminis 41, 546 35 Thessaloniki, Greece
Surg Today 35:677-81. 2005..We also discuss the pathogenesis, clinical presentation, and diagnosis of AEFs, emphasizing the value of clinical suspicion and negative endoscopy in establishing the diagnosis and the need for early operative intervention...
- [Primary aortoenteric fistula: a rare cause of gastrointestinal bleeding in young adults]R Riera Vazquez
Servicio de Angiología y Cirugía Vascular, Hospital Universitario Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 28:26-9. 2005..Despite aggressive surgical treatment, the prognosis of this entity is poor...
- Temporary endovascular control of a bleeding aortoenteric fistula by transcatheter coil embolizationChristos D Karkos
Departments of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Leicester Royal Infirmary, Leicester LE1 5WW, United Kingdom
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:867-71. 2005..Coil embolization may be a useful adjunct in the management of such difficult problems. This approach may buy time and allow careful planning of a definitive treatment or may serve as a palliative procedure in inoperable patients...
- Endovascular repair in the presence of aortic infectionJose A Gonzalez-Fajardo
Division of Vascular Surgery, Hospital Clinico Universitario of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain
Ann Vasc Surg 19:94-8. 2005..A review of the literature with positive and negative results has been included for a better understanding of this condition...
- Endovascular treatment of a primary aortoduodenal fistula: 2-year follow-up of a case reportGerasimos Papacharalambous
Department of Vascular Surgery, KAT Hospital, Athens, Greece
Vasc Endovascular Surg 41:265-70. 2007..Endovascular stent grafts can efficiently arrest massive exsanguination in critically ill patients with primary aortoenteric fistula. The risk of graft infection remains the most serious problem associated with this approach...
- Aortoduodenal fistula following aortobifemoral bypassK Limani
Department of Visceral Surgery, RHMS hospital, Ath, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 105:207-9. 2005..The authors discuss the modern management of this challenging complication of aortic surgery...
- Aortoduodenal fistula and streptococcal myonecrosisAyman S Abdelrazeq
Department of General Surgery, Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Huddersfield, England
Vasc Endovascular Surg 42:268-71. 2008..This article highlights the etiologic dilemma, diagnostic difficulties, and management challenges inherent in such cases. Pitfalls in our management of this patient are discussed...
- [Strategic risk reduction in the operative therapy for abdominal aortic aneurysms]I Flessenkamper
Clinic for Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, DRK Kliniken Mark Brandenburg Berlin, Drontheimerstrasse 39 40, 13359 Berlin
Zentralbl Chir 131:13-7. 2006..The first case demonstrates the endovascular approach to a complication following open aortic surgery, the second describes a surgical intervention to solve a problem following endovascular therapy...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula without abdominal aortic aneurysm in association with psoas abscessChris Klonaris
Vascular Division, 1st Surgical Department, Laikon Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Ann Vasc Surg 20:541-3. 2006..At 2-year follow-up, the patient is alive without episodes of bleeding or fever...
- Successful management of latrogenic aortoduodenal fistula by intraaortic endovascular stent-graft and duodenal diversionCheng Chan Yu
Department of Surgery, Cardiology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taiwan
Hepatogastroenterology 54:431-3. 2007..The patient remained disease-free 3 years after operation. With a prompt diagnosis, duodenal diversion with endoluminal aortic stent may be a better option for iatrogenic aortoduodenal fistula...
- [Aortointestinal fistula--a serious complication of surgery on aortic and pelvic arteries]Z Silhart
Chirurgická klinika LF MU a FN Brno Bohunice
Rozhl Chir 86:224-7. 2007..The perioperative mortality rate reached 66%. The surgical management approach is discussed in the article, and early diagnosis and prevention of the complication is emphasized...
- Percutaneous management of complications (aortoenteric fistula and sac abscess) following bypass surgery for abdominal aortic aneurysmHemant Deshmukh
Department of Radiology, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, 400 012, India
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:778-81. 2007
- Aortic paraprosthetic-colonic fistulae: a review of the literatureL R Leon
Southern Arizona Veteran Affairs Health Care System Vascular Surgery Section, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 34:682-92. 2007..Aortic graft-colonic fistulae are a rare complication of aortic reconstructive surgery...
- Aortoduodenal fistula 5 years after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair with the Ancure stent graftBlaine J Ruby
Department of Surgery, Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA
J Vasc Surg 45:834-6. 2007..Fistulization occurred despite accurate stent graft placement without migration, endoleak, or aortic sac size enlargement on annual postoperative imaging studies...
- A case of aortoenteric fistula following abdominal aortic reconstructionKoji Tsutsumi
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Sagamihara Kyodo Hospital, Sagamihara, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 13:282-6. 2007..Although the patient remained in good health for 3 years with no complications, he died of aortic stump disruption 43 months after the last operation...
- [Aortoduodenal fistula revealed by acute fever with heavy and swollen red leg]J Seneschal
Service de Dermatologie, Hopital Haut Leveque, CHU de Bordeaux
Ann Dermatol Venereol 134:847-50. 2007..The clinical picture usually includes digestive features and fever, unlike our observation where fistula was revealed by heavy and swollen leg with cutaneous septic abscesses but no digestive signs...
- [Treatment of vascular prosthesis infection and aorto-enteric fistula as a late complication after reconstructive surgery of the abdominal aorta--a case report]S Wasikova
II chirurgická klinika FN u sv Anny, Brno
Rozhl Chir 86:522-4. 2007..8 months after the surgery, the patient is in good condition without walking limitation...
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to primary aortoenteric fistulaS Gourgiotis
Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Department, Royal London Hospital, UK
Chirurgia (Bucur) 101:633-4. 2006..Gastrointestinal bleeding combined with a negative endoscopy suggests PAEF. Endovascular operation is an attractive treatment option...
- Aortoenteric fistula: a late complication of endovascular repair of an inflammatory abdominal aortic aneurysmElizabeth V Ratchford
Vascular Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 40:487-91. 2006..The pathophysiology in these cases remains unclear. The presence of inflammation and endoleak may predispose to further aneurysmal degeneration...
- Recurrence of postoperative aortic fistulas: is there an ideal method of prevention? A case reportM Piciche
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Arnaud de Villeneuve Hospital, Montpellier Teaching Hospital, Montpellier University, avenue Doyen G Giraud, 32495 Montpellier, France
Minerva Chir 61:445-50. 2006....
- Primary aortoenteric fistulaGraham Roche-Nagle
Department of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, St Vincent s Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Am J Surg 195:506-7. 2008..The computed tomography scan of the abdomen showed a primary aortoenteric fistula. The challenging clinical diagnosis of aortoenteric fistulae and their surgical treatment options are discussed...
- Aortoenteric fistula: a diagnostic dilemmaFiona M Hughes
Department of Radiology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Abdom Imaging 32:398-402. 2007..To assess the sensitivity and specificity of computed tomography (CT) in the diagnosis of aortoenteric fistula (AEF) and to determine the most accurate CT signs of the disease...
- Intra vascular ultra sound: one more tool to diagnose aorto-duodenal fistulaM Maternini
General Surgery Department, CHUV, Lausanne, Switzerland
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:542-4. 2006..Precise diagnosis was obtained using intra vascular ultrasound (IVUS). IVUS allowed prompt diagnosis of the aorto-duodenal fistula and opened the way to its endovascular treatment...
- Successful endovascular treatment of bleeding aortoenteric fistula: a case reportMark Shapiro
Division of Vascular Surgery, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:817-9. 2006..Endovascular treatment of AEF provides another treatment option that may be particularly valuable in patients whose comorbidities would preclude open repair...
- Saphenous vein spiral graft: successful emergency repair of a mycotic aneurysm with aortoduodenal fistulaJ T Heikens
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Elisabeth Hospital, Tilburg, The Netherlands
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 32:408-10. 2006..No inflammation or dilation of the saphenous vein spiral graft has been noted. We suggest that in the emergency treatment of mycotic abdominal aneurysm, aortic reconstruction with saphenous vein spiral graft is a valuable option...
- Aortoduodenal fistula and aortic aneurysm secondary to biliary stent-induced retroperitoneal perforationTae Hoon Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpagu, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
World J Gastroenterol 14:3095-7. 2008..To our knowledge, this is the first report describing a lethal complication of a bleeding, aortoduodenal fistula and caused by biliary metallic stent-induced perforation...
- Endovascular treatment of a bleeding secondary aorto-enteric fistula. A case report with 1-year follow-upElias N Brountzos
Second Department of Radiology, Athens University, Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 30:1037-41. 2007..The patient developed periaortic infection 4 months later, but he was managed with antibiotics. The patient is well 1 year after the procedure...
- [An aorto-enteric fistula]J Podlaha
II chirurgická klinika MU, FN U sv Anny, Brno
Rozhl Chir 83:506-8. 2004..Haemorrhaging aorto-enteric fistules must be surgically managed in clinics specialized in vascular surgery...
- Early and long-term results of conventional surgical treatment of secondary aorto-enteric fistulaW Dorigo
Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Florence, Firenze, Italy
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 26:512-8. 2003....
- Aortoenteric fistula due to endoleak coil embolization after endovascular AAA repairDaniel J Bertges
Division of Vascular Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pennsylvania, USA
J Endovasc Ther 10:130-5. 2003..To report a late complication associated with embolization coils used to treat an endoleak after endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) repair...
- Secondary aortoduodenal fistulaMisha Witz
Vascular Surgery Unit, Meir General Hospital, 44281 Kfar Saba, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:824. 2002
- Primary aortoenteric fistula: computed tomographic diagnosis of an atypical presentationJ T Lee
Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, 1000 West Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 15:251-4. 2001..A CT scan demonstrated extravasation of arterial contrast into the duodenum. The aorta was repaired with an in-line prosthetic graft. A review of the literature regarding this rare entity and surgical options are presented...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula: a case report and review of the literatureDavid W Lemos
Boston Medical Center, One Boston Medical Center Place, Boston, MA 02118 2393, USA
J Vasc Surg 37:686-9. 2003..This case represents an example of a rare complication of AAA with the unusual presentation of multiple aortic aneurysms. We will address the pathophysiology, diagnostic evaluation, and management of AEF...
- Explantation of an infected aortic endograft with suprarenal barb fixationW Charles Sternbergh
Oschner Clinic Foundation, New Oleans, LA, USA
J Vasc Surg 38:1136. 2003
- [Aorto-digestive fistula and aortic prosthesis. Report of four cases]Armelle Fatome
Service d Hepato Gastroenterologie, CHU de Caen, Avenue Cote de Nacre, 14033 Caen
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 27:936-9. 2003..The other angiogram was normal. Surgery was required to establish the diagnosis in one patient and diagnosis was post mortem for the last one...
- Multidetector computed tomography imaging of aortoenteric fistulaFergus J Perks
Department of Radiology, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Comput Assist Tomogr 28:343-7. 2004..Fistulae occurred in the early and late postgrafting period and involved both end-to-end and end-to-side aortic graft anastomoses. Multidetector CT is quick and accurate in the diagnosis of bleeding AEF...
- Aorto-enteric fistula following endoluminal abdominal aortic aneurysm repairJames R French
Department of Surgery, Bankstown and Lidcombe Hospital, Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia
ANZ J Surg 74:397-9. 2004
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula including the afferent loop of a Billroth II anastomosis. A case reportF Spinelli
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 43:711-4. 2002..This case could be interesting for its anatomical peculiarities favourable to the formation of the fistula...
- [Penetrating aortic ulcer with severe gastrointestinal bleeding]B Certik
Chirurgische Klinik, Universitätskrankenhaus der Karlsuniversität in Pilsen, Czech Republik
Zentralbl Chir 129:183-4. 2004..Primary aortoenteric fistula has a fatal outcome unless it is diagnosed accurately and urgently treated by surgical intervention. Contrast-enhanced computed tomography is the primary imaging modality to specify the diagnosis...
- Detection of aortoenteric fistula with helical CTM Puvaneswary
Department of Medical Imaging, John Hunter Hospital, New South Wales, Australia
Australas Radiol 47:67-9. 2003..Extravasation of contrast medium from the aorta into the lumen of the small bowel was definitive evidence of AEF. The role of abdominal CT performed without oral contrast is discussed...
- Aortic stent-graft infection due to a presumed aortoenteric fistulaBiswajit Kar
Department of Cardiology, Texas Heart Institute, St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas, USA
J Endovasc Ther 9:901-6. 2002..To report a case of late stent-graft infection with aortoenteric fistula...
- Twenty-one cases of aortoenteric fistula: lessons for the general surgeonJuan C Cendan
Department of Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0286, USA
Am Surg 70:583-7; discussion 587. 2004..Simple bowel repairs were sufficient when technically possible. Duodenal exclusion is not an obligatory adjunct to duodenal repairs...
- [Aortoenteric fistula secondary to aortobifemoral prosthesis infection]F Gabriel Botella
Servicio de Medicina Interna, Hospital Clinico Universitario de Valencia
An Med Interna 19:246-50. 2002....
- Emergent treatment of a primary aortoenteric fistula with N-butyl 2-cyanoacrylate and endovascular stentLisa Finch
University of Washington School of Medicine, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 13:841-3. 2002..This approach can benefit patients whose condition would otherwise be too unstable for open surgery...
- Secondary aortoduodenal fistulaMeng Wei Chang
Department of Emergency Medicine, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Chang Gung Med J 25:626-30. 2002..So, a high index of suspicion is necessary for prompt diagnosis and treatment of this actually life-threatening event...
- Aneurysm of the meningeal branch of the occipital artery connecting with the distal portion of the posteroinferior cerebellar artery by the dural fistulaP Słoniewski
Department of Neurosurgery, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
Folia Morphol (Warsz) 67:292-5. 2008..The aneurysm was successfully clipped and the vascular fistula was coagulated and dissected in the extradural section...
- A new vascular sealant (Sealgel) to achieve rapid hemostasis after percutaneous angioplasty in anticoagulated patients: clinical feasibility and preliminary resultsJ M Lefebvre
Department of Cardiology, clinique de la Louvière, Lille, France
Eur Radiol 11:454-9. 2001..There were no clinical signs of embolism, inflammatory swelling, local infection, vascular fistula, or pseudoaneurysm. No surgery or blood transfusion was required...
- [Endoscopic treatment of subcutaneous fat necrosis secondary to pancreatic-vascular fistula: apropos of a case]D Reynaud
, Pavillon Dieulafoy, CHU Purpan, Place du Docteur Baylac, Toulouse, France
Rev Med Interne 19:123-7. 1998PATIENT AND METHOD: We report the case of a 68-year-old man who presented a pancreatic tumor with a pancreato-vascular fistula and a Weber-Christian syndrome...
- The obtention of vascular access on the arm for hemodialysisK Janicki
1st Department of Surgery and Transplantology, Medical University of Lublin
Ann Univ Mariae Curie Sklodowska Med 56:206-11. 2001..In patients, in whom the usual sites for fistula have been exhausted the vascular fistula on the arm was placed. 53 dialysis accesses were performed on the arm between 1989 and 1999...
- Treatment of postpriapism erectile dysfunction by closure of persistent distal glans-cavernosum fistulas 5 years after shunt creationRobert J Stein
Department of Urology, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Urology 65:592. 2005..On the basis of our experience, it seems reasonable to attempt shunt reversal for correction of erectile dysfunction in selected patients who likely have a persistent vascular fistula.
- Spinal dural arteriovenous fistulae--a diagnostic challengeN Lev
Department of Neurology, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 3:492-6. 2001..The most common clinical presentation is that of progressive myeloradiculopathy, probably related to venous hypertension, which may lead to permanent disability and even death...
- Extraluminal migration of a coin in the oesophagus of a child misdiagnosed as asthmaR A Persaud
Department of Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery, University Hospital Lewisham, London Department of Paediatric Surgery, University Hospital Lewisham, UK
Emerg Med J 18:312-3. 2001..in the oesophagus with subsequent extraluminal migration with the potential for serious complications such as vascular fistula or chronic suppurative infection...
- A case report of a "smouldering" uretero-vascular fistulaStefania Ferretti
Department of Surgery, Urology Operative Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria of Parma, Italy
Arch Ital Urol Androl 77:151-2. 2005..Two subsequent emergency operations allowed to a difficult diagnosis and a life-saving repair of the fistula. Some hypotheses on the pathogenesis of the condition are discussed as well as its clinical problems...
- Posterior "nutcracker" phenomenon: hemodynamic relevant aorto-retroaortal renal vein fistula leading to fatal right heart failureC Breitwieser
Department of Radiology, Charité Universitaets Medizin Berlin, Campus Mitte, Humboldt Universitaet, Berlin, Germany
Acta Radiol 46:193-5. 2005..diagnosis for these very common clinical symptoms is an aorto-left renal vein fistula (ALRVF), which is a spontaneous vascular fistula, usually also associated with an aortic aneurysm, infrequently a result of abdominal trauma.
- Lethal hemorrhage from a ureteric-arterial-enteric fistula diagnosed by postmortem CT angiographySaiful Nizam bin Abdul Rashid
Department of Radiology, University Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Forensic Sci Med Pathol 8:430-5. 2012..The role of PMCTA in the diagnosis of such a UAF has not previously been reported in the literature...
- Coronary artery fistula: review of 54 cases from single center experienceYiğit Canga
Department of Cardiology, Siyami Ersek Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Cardiol J 19:278-86. 2012....
- Aorto-cavitary fistula: a complication of infective endocarditisS Williams-Phillips
Thai Wing, Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd, 27 Hope Road, Kingston 10, Jamaica, West Indies
West Indian Med J 61:756-9. 2012..The sensitivity of the Modified Duke Criteria is challenged in this case report with a documented right sinus of valsalva fistula to the right ventricle seen on transthoracic echocardiography...
- Case report: Aortoduodenal fistula presenting as iron-deficiency anaemiaS Decock
Department of Gastroenterology, AZ St Lucas, Brugge, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 66:393-4. 2011..Most patients present with massive gastrointestinal bleeding. Presentation with iron-deficiency anaemia on routine blood analysis, as in our case report, is extremely unusual...
- Aortoesophageal fistula after thoracic stent graftingJose Albors
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital Clínico Universitario Clinic University Hospital, Valencia, Spain
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 19:352-6. 2011..She had a fatal episode of massive bleeding before she could be treated. The limited treatment options are discussed...
- A primary arterio enteric fistula with Takayasu arteritisShoko Minemura
Department of Gastroenterology and Nephrology, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Intern Med 52:359-62. 2013..We eliminated the aneurysm by ligating the drainage and feeder arteries. Following surgery, the patient did not experience any relapses of hematochezia...
- Upper gastrointestinal bleeding secondary to an aberrant right subclavian artery-esophageal fistula: a case report and review of the literatureAdam Millar
Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 21:389-92. 2007..A high index of suspicion is needed to make the diagnosis. This condition should be considered in patients with risk factors combined with hemodynamically significant gastrointestinal bleeding...
- The congenital porto-caval fistula: a unique presentation and novel interventionWynton Hoover
Division of Pediatric Pulmonology, Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 43:196-9. 2008..His pulmonary hypertension has improved remarkably while his chronic anemia, thrombocytopenia and ammonia have normalized to allow improved cognitive performance...
- Endovascular treatment of tracheoinnominate artery fistula: a case reportEugene Palchik
Center for Vascular Disease, Department of Surgery, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Vasc Endovascular Surg 41:258-61. 2007..The authors report successful endovascular repair of the bleeding tracheoinnominate fistula with a stent in a liver transplant patient with high comorbidities and review the current literature...
- Thoracic endovascular aortic repair of aortobronchial fistulasPaul J Riesenman
Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7212, USA
J Vasc Surg 50:992-8. 2009..Thoracic endovascular aortic repair of aortobronchial fistulas is an emerging treatment modality for this highly lethal condition. The feasibility and long-term durability of this form of intervention are largely unknown...
- Treatment of an ilioenteric fistula with an Amplatzer Vascular PlugTaylor D Hicks
Department of Vascular Surgery, Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX, USA
J Vasc Surg 54:1495-7. 2011..We report a patient with an ilioenteric fistula in which hemorrhage was successfully treated with an Amplatzer Vascular Plug (AGA Medical Corporation, Plymouth, Minn)...
- [Percutaneous closure of veno-venous fistulae after total cavopulmonary derivation: a case report]A Basquin
Service de Cardiologie Pediatrique, Hôpital Necker Enfants Malades 149 rue de Sèvres 75743 Paris cedex 15
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 100:474-7. 2007..The saturation rose from 75% to 94%. After 6 months' follow-up, the child is asymptomatic and the systemic saturation is 90%...
- Successful trapping of an organized thrombus in a coronary artery aneurysm in myocardial infarction: case report and literature reviewTobias Harle
Department of Cardiology, Asklepios Klinik St Georg, Hamburg, Germany
Cardiovasc Revasc Med 9:52-5. 2008..The restenosis was treated with two drug-eluting stents, leading to an excellent result after a further 6 months. The patient was free of symptoms and the left ventricular ejection fraction was within the normal range...
- Non-invasive recognition of generalized coronary arteriosystemic fistulae by contrast echocardiography and multidetector CTJeong Joo Woo
Department of Radiology, Eulji General Hospital, Eulji University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 27:749-53. 2011....
- Communication between the ureter and an aortic aneurysm sac after an abdominal aortic aneurysm repairAlexander Kutikov
Division of Urology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Urology 71:351.e7-8. 2008..Fistulae between the vasculature and the ureter are rare. We describe a communication between the ureter and the sac of an aortic aneurysm following abdominal aortic aneurysm repair...
- Successful management by provocative angiography and endovascular stent of Ureteroarterial fistula in a patient with a long-term indwelling ureteral stentKazumitsu Yamasaki
Department of Urology and Andrology, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8575, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:267-70. 2010..Heightened awareness and a high index of suspicion for this condition are required to make an early diagnosis...
- Secondary aortoenteric fistula in a patient with Behçet disease: successful surgical treatment by direct suture and use of omental flapHalil Ozguc
Department of Surgery, Uludag University School of Medicine, Bursa, Turkey
Vascular 16:300-2. 2008..At the 15-month follow-up appointment, the patient was in excellent condition. Although our surgical choice was not a standard approach for this type of aortoenteric fistula, it was a lifesaving procedure in our patient...
- Primary aortoesophageal fistula due to thoracic aortic aneurysm: successful surgical treatmentChristos Prokakis
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Patras, 26500 Patras, Greece
Tex Heart Inst J 36:607-10. 2009..The pleural cavity was copiously irrigated and drained. Three months later, a retrosternal gastric bypass operation was performed successfully. The patient's 6-month follow-up examination revealed no problems...
- Endovascular treatment of aortoesophageal and aortobronchial fistulaeRoberto Chiesa
Vascular Surgery, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Vita Salute University School of Medicine, Milano, Italy
J Vasc Surg 51:1195-202. 2010..However, relatively little is known about results of TEVAR for AEF and ABF due to their rarity and the lack of large surveys...
- Right superior vena cava drainage into the left atrium associated with a coronary-cameral fistula occluding an atrial-septal defect: first echocardiographic, angiographic, and surgical descriptionAzad Sushil
Department of Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Cardiac Surgery, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Cardiol 30:356-8. 2009..During surgical repair, the aneurysmal part of the cameral fistula was noted to be occluding a defect in the atrial septum. Repair of the cameral fistula and rerouting of the SVC via the atrial septal defect were performed...
- Bedside placement of an aortic occlusion balloon to control a ruptured aorto-esophageal fistula in a small childSarah J Hill
Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 24:822.e7-9. 2010..Subsequent intraoperative aortography confirmed an aortoesophageal fistula. A stent-graft was deployed with immediate hemodynamic stabilization. She later underwent esophageal resection and recovered well...
- Successful management of a tracheo-innominate fistula in a 7-year-old childRodrigo C Silva
Department of Otolaryngology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, United States
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 74:946-8. 2010..Tracheo-innominate artery fistulae can be successfully managed if recognized and treated early. Special attention should be given to "sentinel events" that often precede more catastrophic bleeds...
- Percutaneous closure of a prenatally diagnosed large coronary artery fistula with an Amplatzer vascular plug immediately after deliveryTevfik Karagoz
Section of Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Sihhiye, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Cardiol 63:405-8. 2008..Early intervention may be a useful tool in such cases with large fistulas to avoid complications such as severe congestive heart failure, myocardial ischaemia, need for assisted ventilation and longer hospital stay...
- [Recurrent upper gastrointestinal bleeding in a 61 year-old man with infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm]M Brueck
Medizinische Klinik I, Klinikum Wetzlar, Akademisches Lehrkrankenhaus der Justus Liebig Universität Giessen, Forsthausstrasse 1, 35578, Wetzlar, Deutschland
Internist (Berl) 49:1259-63. 2008..Repair of the duodenal rent was performed and the aortic aneurysm was replaced by a Dacron prosthesis. The patient was transferred to the intensive care unit. 4 days after initial admission, he died due to septic shock...
- Hemorrhage due to tracheoarterial fistula with severe motor and intellectual disabilityKimiko Hamano
Department of Pediatrics, Tokyo Metropolitan Fuchu Medical Center for Disabled, Tokyo, Japan
Pediatr Int 50:337-40. 2008..The aim of the present paper was to analyzed TAF in SMID to clarify which clinical variables might predict the occurrence of TAF, and adequate management for lifesaving...
- Aortoenteric fistula arising as a complication of endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysmL Riera del Moral
Servicio de Angiología y Cirugía Vascular, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Ann Vasc Surg 23:255.e13-7. 2009..We present three cases of aortoenteric fistula complicating endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysm (3/423 patients, 0.7% in our series)...
- [Isolated abdominal pain revealing a paraprosthetic fistula in a patient with Takayasu arteritis]F Ben Fredj Ismail
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Sahloul, route de Ceinture, Sousse, Tunisia
Rev Med Interne 32:e9-11. 2011..Surgical procedure may be necessary to obtain the diagnosis and constitutes the main part of the treatment before fatal outcome...
- Postoperative hepatic artery aneurysms development and remodeling in Ehlers-Danlos syndrome type IV. Case reportA Musumeci
Emergency Medicine Department, S Maria degli Angeli General Hospital, Pordenone, Italy
Int Angiol 27:166-9. 2008..Computed tomography angiography showed the extreme vascular remodeling of the aneurysms. We conclude that remote site complications should be kept in mind by all surgeons in vascular EDS patients even after general surgery operations...
- VENTRICULAR REMODELING IN HEART FAILUREPaul Grayburn; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Functional MR in Ischemic CardiomyopathyPaul Grayburn; Fiscal Year: 2005..Despite its known clinical utility of assessing the mechanism and severity of MR, TEE is not currently included in STICH. ..
- Lung Contusion-Mechanisms and Interaction with AspirationKrishnan Raghavendran; Fiscal Year: 2007..Understanding lung contusion and its interaction with gastric aspiration, two common insults suffered by trauma patients, will greatly aid the development of new diagnostic and therapeutic modalities. ..
- Effect of NSAIDs on risk of Incident Lung Cancer: a cohort studyChristopher Slatore; Fiscal Year: 2007..The results of this study will provide extremely useful information regarding possible chemopreventative effects of NSAIDs as well as elucidate possible underlying biologic pathways in lung cancer pathogenesis. ..
- Functional MR in Ischemic CardiomyopathyPaul Grayburn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Despite its known clinical utility for assessing the mechanism and severity of MR, TEE is not currently included in STICH. ..