Genomes and Genes
Summary: Presence of fluid within the pericardium.
Publications287 found, 100 shown here
- Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases executive summary; The Task force on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases of the European society of cardiologyBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:587-610. 2004
- Pericardial disease: diagnosis and managementMasud H Khandaker
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:572-93. 2010Pericardial diseases can present clinically as acute pericarditis, pericardial effusion, cardiac tamponade, and constrictive pericarditis. Patients can subsequently develop chronic or recurrent pericarditis...
- Effusive-constrictive pericarditisJaume Sagristà-Sauleda
Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 350:469-75. 2004..pericarditis is an uncommon pericardial syndrome characterized by concomitant tamponade, caused by tense pericardial effusion, and constriction, caused by the visceral pericardium...
- Effectiveness and prognosis of initial pericardiocentesis in the primary management of malignant pericardial effusionAngel Apodaca-Cruz
Department of Internal Medicine, Instituto Nacional de Cancerologia, Mexico City, Mexico
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 11:154-61. 2010We retrospectively reviewed the records of 100 patients with malignant disease and symptomatic pericardial effusion initially treated with pericardiocentesis at the National Cancer Institute of Mexico between 1985 and 2009...
- Focused cardiac ultrasound in the emergent setting: a consensus statement of the American Society of Echocardiography and American College of Emergency PhysiciansArthur J Labovitz
St Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
J Am Soc Echocardiogr 23:1225-30. 2010..In the emergency department, focused cardiac ultrasound has become a fundamental tool to expedite the diagnostic evaluation of the patient at the bedside and to initiate emergent treatment and triage decisions by the emergency physician...
- Hospital outcome of moderate to severe pericardial effusion complicating ST-elevation acute myocardial infarctionJaume Figueras
Unitat Coronaria, Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Circulation 122:1902-9. 2010Hospital prognosis of moderate to severe pericardial effusion (MPE; ≥10 mm) in ST-elevation myocardial infarction is largely unknown.
- Incidence of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department with unexplained dyspneaM Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Acad Emerg Med 8:1143-6. 2001To evaluate the frequency of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) with unexplained, new onset dyspnea.
- Diagnostic value of chest X-ray and echocardiography for cardiac tamponade in post cardiac surgery patientsMohammad Hamid
Department of Anaesthesia, Aga Khan University Hospital, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 56:104-7. 2006..To investigate the effectiveness of X-ray and echocardiography (ECHO) as a diagnostic tool for cardiac tamponade in adult cardiac surgery patients...
- A 15-year-old girl with a large pericardial effusionRoel J Bolt
Department of Pediatrics, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 167:811-2. 2008..We describe a 15-year-old girl admitted for a large pericardial effusion. Subxiphoid pericardial biopsy was performed. Biopsy samples were positive for M...
- Practical aspects of the management of pericardial diseaseBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Heart 89:1096-103. 2003
- A modern approach to tuberculous pericarditisFaisal F Syed
Department of Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 50:218-36. 2007..Tuberculosis is responsible for approximately 70% of cases of large pericardial effusion and most cases of constrictive pericarditis in developing countries, where most of the world's population ..
- Pericardial effusion in AIDS. Incidence and survivalP A Heidenreich
Division of Cardiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Circulation 92:3229-34. 1995BACKGROUND: Although pericardial effusion is known to be common among patients infected with HIV, the incidence of pericardial effusion and its relation to survival have never been described...
- The management of tuberculous pericardial effusion: experience in 233 consecutive patientsH Reuter
TREAD Research Cardiology Unit, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, Parow, Western Cape, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 18:20-5. 2007..We report on the 30-day and one-year outcome of consecutive effusive pericarditis patients, including those with tuberculous pericarditis, over a six-year-period...
- A case of rheumatoid pericarditis with high concentrations of interleukin-6 in pericardial fluidN Shikama
Department of Internal Medicine, Chiba Municipal Hospital, 827 Yahagi Chuo ku, Chiba City, Chiba 260 0851, Japan
Heart 83:711-2. 2000..The concentration of interleukin-6 (IL-6) in pericardial fluid was notably increased compared with serum. IL-6 may be associated with progression or maintenance of rheumatoid pericarditis...
- The use of adenosine deaminase and interferon-gamma as diagnostic tools for tuberculous pericarditisLesley J Burgess
Department of Cardiology, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Chest 122:900-5. 2002..We investigated ADA and IFN-gamma levels in pericardial effusions of different etiologies...
- Pericardial effusion: a rare presentation of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphomaFernando P Chaves
Boston Medical Center, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Hematol 77:381-3. 2004..CT scan showed small mediastinal lymph nodes and pericardial effusion. Diagnosis was established by cytomorphologic evaluation and flow cytometric analysis of the pericardial ..
- Angiosarcoma in a pregnant woman presenting with pericardial tamponade--a case report and review of the literatureNassir A Azimi
Yale University School of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Angiology 57:251-7. 2006..They review the literature involving pericardial disease in pregnancy and discuss important issues in management and include a discussion of angiosarcoma...
- Management of pericardial effusion the role of echocardiography in establishing the indications and the selection of the approach for drainageArsen D Ristic
University Institute for Cardiovascular Diseases, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Herz 30:144-50. 2005
- Pericardial effusion complicating novel influenza A (H1N1) infection in an infantKatalin Koranyi
College of Medicine, The Ohio State University, Nationwide Children s Hospital, Columbus, OH, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 29:782-3. 2010We report the case of a 3-month-old boy with novel influenza A (H1N1) infection complicated by pericardial effusion. The patient was treated with pericardial drainage, oseltamivir, and ibuprofen and improved...
- Post-traumatic myocardial infarction complicated with left ventricular aneurysm and pericardial effusionYoung Won Yoon
Cardiology Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Yongdong Severance Hospital, Yonsei Universitiy College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Trauma 63:E73-5. 2007
- [Neoplastic pericarditis--the role of different diagnostic procedures]Anna Pawlak-Cieślik
Klinika Chorob Wewnetrznych Klatki Piersiowej
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:37-44. 2006..Consecutive medical records of the patients with pericardial effusion treated with pericardiocentesis or pericardioscopy in the period of 1982-2002 were analyzed retrospectively...
- Electrocardiographic changes resulting from pericardial effusion drainageHae Ok Jung
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Korea
Am J Cardiol 106:437-41. 2010Electrocardiographic (ECG) changes resulting from drainage of pericardial effusion (PE) have not been systematically studied...
- Case report. Kocher-Debre-Semelaigne syndrome with pericardial effusionPraveen Dharaskar
Department of Pediatrics, Seth G S Medical College and K E M Hospital, Parel, Mumbai, India
Indian J Med Sci 61:527-30. 2007..e. Kocher-Debre-Semelaigne syndrome) with pericardial effusion. The child presented with generalized swelling, breathlessness and difficulty in walking and in getting up ..
- Neoplastic pericardial effusionMarwan M Refaat
Division of Cardiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Clin Cardiol 34:593-8. 2011Neoplastic pericardial effusion is a serious and common clinical disorder encountered by cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, oncologists, and radiation oncologists...
- Specific self-antigen-driven immune response in pericardial effusion as an isolated GVHD manifestationA Lev
Cancer Research Center, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer and Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv, Israel
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:1084-7. 2010b>Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade have been described as GVHD manifestations in the post transplant period...
- [Pericardial window by videothoracoscope in the treatment of pericardial effusion and tamponade]Juan J Fibla
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica, Hospital Universitari Sagrat Cor, Barcelona, Espana
Cir Esp 83:145-8. 2008Malignancies are the most common causes of pericardial effusion (PE) or tamponade (PT). Lung and breast carcinoma are the most frequent...
- Matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in malignant and autoreactive pericardial effusionSteffen Lamparter
Diakonie Krankenhaus Wehrda, Department of Internal Medicine, Marburg, Germany
Am J Cardiol 95:1065-9. 2005..Recent reports have suggested a potential role of MMPs in the evolution of pericardial effusion (PE)...
- Magnetic resonance imaging of pericardial disease and intracardiac thrombusJohn D Grizzard
Non Invasive Cardiovascular Imaging, Department of Radiology, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23298 0615, USA
Heart Fail Clin 5:401-19, vii. 2009....
- A right heart angiosarcoma with rapidly progressing hemorrhagic pericardial effusionYanjun Gong
Department of Cardiology, Peking University First Hospital, China
Intern Med 50:455-8. 2011..describe a 66-year-old man who suffered from cough and hemoptysis and then experienced rapidly progressing hemorrhagic pericardial effusion. After a set of examinations he was diagnosed as right heart angiosarcoma. His outcome was poor.
- Spontaneous chylopericardium: delineation of the underlying anatomic pathology by CT lymphangiographyMaxim Itkin
Hospital of University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1595-7. 2009..We theorized that the development of the pathologic lymphatic ducts in close proximity to the pericardium resulted in the development of the slowly accumulating chylopericardium...
- Unusual cases in multiple myeloma and a dramatic response in metastatic lung cancer: Case 1. Multiple myeloma relapse presenting as malignant pericardial effusionRobert Zeiser
Department of Hematology Oncology, University of Freiburg, Germany
J Clin Oncol 23:230-1. 2005
- Pericardial effusion, right-sided pleural effusion and ascites associated with stage IV endometriosis. A case reportMichelle Francis
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Cardiology, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, USA
J Reprod Med 48:463-5. 2003..Endometriosis has rarely been associated with ascites and less often with pleural (usually right-sided) effusion...
- Effusive constrictive pericarditis: 2D, 3D echocardiography and MRI imagingBrian Zagol
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Echocardiography 24:1110-4. 2007The entity of effusive constrictive pericarditis (ECP) combines clinical and echocardiographic features of pericardial effusion and constrictive pericarditis...
- Characterization of the immunological features of tuberculous pericardial effusions in HIV positive and HIV negative patients in contrast with non-tuberculous effusionsHelmuth Reuter
Cardiology Unit TREAD Research, P O Box 19174, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 86:125-33. 2006..To investigate the immunopathogenesis of pericardial tuberculosis (TB) and the influence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) on the anti-tuberculous immune response...
- Reversible subacute effusive-constrictive pericarditis after correction of double-chambered right ventricle: a case reportKimihiro Tanaka
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, JR Tokyo General Hospital, Yoyogi 2 1 3, Shibuya ku, Tokyo 151 8528
J Cardiol 39:267-70. 2002..Two weeks after surgery, the patient had massive pericardial effusion, which acutely progressed to constrictive pericarditis with the symptoms of cardiac tamponade...
- Pericardiocentesis guided by 2-D echocardiography: the method of choice for treatment of pericardial effusionM Lindenberger
Department of Medicine and Care, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
J Intern Med 253:411-7. 2003..Percutaneous pericardiocentesis guided by 2-D echocardiography has been used at Linköping Heart Centre since 1983...
- Rapid diagnosis of tuberculous pericarditis by ELISPOT assayYoshihiro Kobashi
Department of Medicine, Kawasaki Medical School, Matsushima, Kurashiki, Japan
Scand J Infect Dis 42:712-5. 2010..was made using the Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB)-specific enzyme-linked immunospot (ELISPOT) assay on pericardial effusion mononuclear cells (PEMCs)...
- Pericardial effusion: haemodynamic spectrumR Shabetai
VA Health Care System, Cardiology 111 A, La Jolla, CA 92161, USA
Heart 90:255-6. 2004
- Tuberculous pericarditis presenting as multiple free floating masses in pericardial effusionShin Ae Yoon
Department of Pediatrics, Chungbuk National University Hospital, Chungbuk National University College of Medicine, Cheongju, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 27:325-8. 2012..Echocardiography found free floating multiple discoid masses in the pericardial effusion. The masses and exudates were removed by pericardiostomy...
- Cardiac tamponadeLaurent Bodson
ICU, Section Thorax Vascular diseases Abdomen Metabolism, University Hospital Ambroise Pare, Boulogne and Faculté de Médecine Paris Ile de France Ouest, Universite de Versailles Saint Quentin en Yvelines, Versailles, France
Curr Opin Crit Care 17:416-24. 2011..To re-emphasize the epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of cardiac tamponade...
- Porridge-like tuberculous cardiac tamponade: treatment difficulties in the Horn of AfricaPierre Laurent Massoure
Hôpital Bouffard, Djibouti, SP 85024 00812, Armees, Republic of Djibouti
Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 58:276-8. 2010..Transthoracic echocardiography revealed a 30-mm circumferential echogenic "porridge-like" pericardial effusion with signs of cardiac tamponade. Tuberculosis (TB) was suspected because of its prevalence in Djibouti...
- Pericardial effusion of HIV-infected patients ? Results of a prospective multicenter cohort study in the era of antiretroviral therapyAlexander Lind
West German Heart Center, Department of Cardiology, University of Duisburg Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur J Med Res 16:480-3. 2011..Previous publications described pericardial effusion as one of the most common HIV-associated cardiac affiliations...
- Tuberculous pericardial abscess with impending pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponadeSaulat Hasnain Fatimi
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pak Med Assoc 61:286-7. 2011..Acute tuberculous pericardial abscess was the diagnosis made after histopathology which was successfully managed with sternotomy along with drainage of pus...
- Potential errors in the diagnosis of pericardial effusion on trauma ultrasound for penetrating injuriesM Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Acad Emerg Med 7:1261-6. 2000To evaluate ultrasound error in patients presenting with penetrating injury with a potential for pericardial effusion.
- Cytokine activation in pericardial fluids in different forms of pericarditisS Pankuweit
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Herz 25:748-54. 2000There are many causes of pericardial effusion and it is useful to classify them etiologically, since this disorder is the most common pathologic process involving the pericardium...
- Traumatic pericardial effusion: impact of diagnostic and surgical approachesYao Kuang Huang
Division of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery and Heart Failure Center, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou Center, Chang Gung University, College of Medicine, Taiwan, ROC
Resuscitation 81:1682-6. 2010In trauma patients with chest injuries, traumatic pericardial effusion is an important scenario to consider because of its close linkage to cardiac injury...
- New directions in diagnosis and treatment of pericardial disease. A project of the Taskforce on Pericardial Disease of the World Heart FederationB Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology, Philipps University Marburg, Germany
Herz 25:769-80. 2000..vs placebo in chronic/recurring pericarditis without pericardiocentesis; TRIPE (triamcinolone in pericardial effusion)--intrapericardial instillation of triamcinolone + 6 months colchicine vs pericardial puncture without ..
- The pericardial window: is a video-assisted thoracoscopy approach better than a surgical approach?Magdi Ibrahim Ahmad Muhammad
Department of Thoracic Surgery, King Fahad Hospital, Almadinah Almunawarah, Saudi Arabia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 12:174-8. 2011The approach to the pericardial window in patients with pericardial effusion (PE) remains undefined as to whether a surgical (transthoracic or subxiphoid) or a thoracoscopic pericardial window is the optimal operative approach to PE...
- Pericardial effusion after cardiac surgery: risk factors, patient profiles, and contemporary managementElena A Ashikhmina
Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 89:112-8. 2010We aimed to review recent experience at our institution in the diagnosis and treatment of pericardial effusion after cardiac surgery and to identify risk factors for its development.
- Outcomes of clinically significant idiopathic pericardial effusion requiring interventionTeresa S M Tsang
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Cardiol 91:704-7. 2003There is a paucity of outcome data on patients with idiopathic pericardial effusion requiring intervention...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic pericardial window for diagnosis and management of pericardial effusionsGeorgios P Georghiou
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqwa, Israel
Ann Thorac Surg 80:607-10. 2005..It also allows an excellent view of both the pleural cavity and pericardium and the precise selection of biopsy sites. We review our 3-year experience with this technique...
- Tuberculous effusive-constrictive pericarditisJ B Russell
Department of Internal Medicine, Groote Schuur Hospital and University of Cape Town, Observatory
Cardiovasc J Afr 19:200-1. 2008..We present a patient who was diagnosed with this condition, and highlight the value of contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in demonstrating the underlying structural and functional abnormalities...
- A novel pericardial effusion scoring index to guide decision for drainageDan G Halpern
Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10025, USA
Crit Pathw Cardiol 11:85-8. 2012..Subacute pericardial tamponade can present without signs of cardiogenic shock. Symptoms and signs lack both sensitivity and specificity...
- Usefulness of pericardial effusion as new diagnostic criterion for noninvasive detection of myocarditisPeter Ong
Department of Cardiology, Robert Bosch Krankenhaus, Stuttgart, Germany
Am J Cardiol 108:445-52. 2011..In the present study, we sought to determine whether the presence of pericardial effusion could serve as a new diagnostic criterion and improve the sensitivity of CMR imaging to detect myocarditis...
- Risk factors affecting the survival of patients with pericardial effusion submitted to subxiphoid pericardiostomyTheodosios Dosios
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
Chest 124:242-6. 2003..drainage of the pericardial cavity has been established as a safe and effective method of treatment of pericardial effusion; however, the risk factors affecting survival of these patients have not been clarified...
- Fluoranthene, but not benzo[a]pyrene, interacts with hypoxia resulting in pericardial effusion and lordosis in developing zebrafishCole W Matson
Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, United States
Chemosphere 74:149-54. 2008..hypoxia-induced reduction in CYP1A activity in BNF or BaP-exposed zebrafish embryos would similarly enhance pericardial effusion and other developmental abnormalities...
- Purulent pericarditis with greenish pericardial effusion caused by Shewanella algaeChe Kim Tan
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan, Taiwan
J Clin Microbiol 46:2817-9. 2008We report the first case of purulent pericarditis with greenish pericardial effusion caused by Shewanella algae in a patient with gastric and gallbladder cancer. This case expands the reported spectrum of infection caused by S...
- Spontaneous coronary artery rupture in a young patient: a rare diagnosis for cardiac tamponadeBishwo M S Shrestha
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Prince Charles Hospital, Qld 4032, Brisbane, Australia
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 9:537-9. 2009..Acute aortic dissection was suspected but urgent contrast computed tomography (CT) showed a large pericardial effusion with cardiac tamponade. This was later confirmed on trans-oesophageal echocardiogram...
- Large pericardial effusion requiring pericardiocentesis as cardinal sign of macrophage activation syndrome in systemic onset-juvenile idiopathic arthritisDonato Rigante
Department of Pediatric Sciences, Universita Cattolica Sacro Cuore, Largo A Gemelli no 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Rheumatol Int 27:767-70. 2007We report a case of large pericardial effusion which has been managed with pericardiocentesis as the main presentation feature of a dramatic clinical picture, only retrospectively framed as referred to macrophage activation syndrome in a ..
- Sonographic evidence of ascites, pleura-pericardial effusion and gallbladder wall edema for dengue feverM Motla
Yahoda Hospital, Ghaziabad, India
Prehosp Disaster Med 26:335-41. 2011..The current study is a retrospective analysis of ultrasonographic (USG) features of patients presenting with probable dengue fever during the outbreak of DF of 2006 in North India...
- Management of effusive and constrictive pericardial heart diseaseBrian D Hoit
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals of Cleveland, and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Circulation 105:2939-42. 2002
- Pericardial tamponade with a positive abdominal FAST scan in blunt chest traumaJulian Speight
Department of General Surgery, Whangarei Area Hospital, Whangarei, New Zealand
J Trauma 61:743-5; discussion 745. 2006
- Clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion in patients who underwent echocardiographically guided pericardiocentesis: Yonsei Cardiovascular Center experience, 1993-2003Byoung Chul Cho
Cardiology Division, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Sinchon Dong Seodaemun Gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 45:462-8. 2004..as an alternative to electrocardiographically or fluoroscopically guided puncture for the management of pericardial effusion. The objective of this study was to investigate echocardiographically (echo)- guided pericardiocenteses ..
- Effect of posterior pericardial drainage on the incidence of pericardial effusion after ascending aortic surgerySadik Eryilmaz
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:27-31. 2006b>Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade after ascending aortic surgery are higher than anticipated after cardiac surgery...
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade originating from uterine carcinosarcomaShoko Shimizu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:373-5. 2009..Cardiac tamponade caused by gynecologic malignancies are extremely rare...
- PericarditisRichard W Troughton
Department of Medicine, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Lancet 363:717-27. 2004..use of new imaging methods facilitates accurate detection and management of complications such as pericardial effusion or constriction...
- Rhabdomyolysis, renal failure, pericardial effusion, and acquired von Willebrand disease resulting from hypothyroidism in a 10-year-old girlAssimina Galli-Tsinopoulou
4th Department of Paediatrics, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Thyroid 18:373-5. 2008..In addition, the patient developed other uncommon manifestations of hypothyroidism such as pericardial effusion, acute renal failure, and acquired von Willebrand disease...
- Malignant pericardial effusion with metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma: discordance between ThinPrep and cell-block cytopreparationJonathan L Curry
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60513, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 29:270. 2003
- [Hemorrhagic nonspecific pericardial effusion as an initial symptom of angiosarcoma of the right heart]T Fortmann
Klinik für Kardiologie Angiologie am Zentrum für Innere Medizin, Klinikum Lüdenscheid, Paulmannshöher Str 14, 58515 Lüdenscheid, Germany
Z Kardiol 93:807-12. 2004..In addition she suffered from physical asthenia. Seven months ago the patient was treated for symptomatic pericardial effusion in our clinic.
- A child with pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidismSrinath Sanda
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:1411-3. 2007..Hispanic girl without overt symptoms of hypothyroidism who presented with early cardiac tamponade from pericardial effusion due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidism...
- Pericardial effusion in atrial fibrillation ablation: a comparison between cryoballoon and radiofrequency pulmonary vein isolationGian Battista Chierchia
Heart Rhythm Management Centre, UZ Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Europace 12:337-41. 2010Atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation is increasingly being performed in electrophysiology laboratories. Pericardial effusion (PE) is certainly one of the most frequently observed complications during AF ablation...
- Congenital left ventricular aneurysm with pericardial effusion: prenatal diagnosis, surgical management and follow-upJ R Sharma
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Lincoln Medical Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10451, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 23:458-61. 2002
- A rare case of massive pericardial effusion secondary to hypothyroidismShang Lin Chou
Emergency Department, Veterans General Hospital Taipei, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Emerg Med 28:293-6. 2005..The case of a patient presenting with a relatively asymptomatic massive pericardial effusion due to hypothyroidism is described...
- Preliminary investigation of the clinical value of vascular endothelial growth factor and hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in pericardial fluid in diagnosing malignant and tuberculous pericardial effusionJiani Liu
Department of Internal Cardiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Jiefang Avenue 1095, Wuhan, China
Cardiology 116:37-41. 2010To investigate the clinical value of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha (HIF-1alpha) in diagnosing malignant and tuberculous pericardial effusion.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug treatment for postoperative pericardial effusion: a multicenter randomized, double-blind trialPhilippe Meurin
Les Grands Prés, 27 rue Sainte Christine, 77174 Villeneuve Saint Denis, France
Ann Intern Med 152:137-43. 2010The incidence of asymptomatic pericardial effusion is high after cardiac surgery. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are widely prescribed in this setting, but no study has assessed their efficacy.
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade in endometrial adenocarcinomaP Kheterpal
Department of Medicine, Lincoln Mental and Medical Health Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Gynecol Oncol 83:143-5. 2001Malignant pericardial effusion as a complication of gynecological cancers is a rare occurrence. A review of the literature revealed only two cases of pericardial effusion secondary to endometrial adenocarcinoma...
- Adenosine deaminase in the diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusionMaximiliano Arroyo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:227-9. 2008..deaminase level in the pericardial fluid was consistent with the probable diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusion. The patient was treated with resolution of the clinical syndrome and no recurrence of the effusion ..
- Management of malignant pericardial effusion with instillation of mitomycin C in non-small cell lung cancerKyoichi Kaira
Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, Department of Respiratory Medicine, 3 21 36, Asahi cho, Maebashi, Gunma 377 0014, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:57-60. 2005To evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of mitomycin C in the local control of malignant pericardial effusion, we carried out a trial of pericardial drainage with local instillation of mitomycin C in eight patients who suffered from ..
- Catheter drainage followed by the instillation of bleomycin to manage malignant pericardial effusion in non-small cell lung cancer: a multi-institutional phase II trialRiichiroh Maruyama
Kyushu Yamaguchi Thoracic Oncology Group, Kyushu Cancer Center, Minami Ku, Fukuoka, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 2:65-8. 2007Malignant pericardial effusion (MPE) causes cardiac tamponade and an extremely poor outcome unless it is well controlled...
- Intracavitary chemotherapy with thiotepa in malignant pericardial effusions: an active and well-tolerated regimenM Colleoni
Division of Medical Oncology and Service of Cardiology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 16:2371-6. 1998Malignant pericardial effusion, although highly variable, is an uncommon complication of cancer. It is often associated with symptoms like dyspnea, chest pain, and cough, which may be severe and disabling...
- Treatment of malignant pericardial effusion with 32P-colloidW Dempke
Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Department of Internal Medicine IV, Halle, Germany
Br J Cancer 80:1955-7. 1999Malignant pericardial effusion is usually treated only when signs of cardiac tamponade develop. Several methods of treatment have been reported with an overall response rate of approximately 75%...
- Mitoxantrone in malignant pericardial effusionJ Norum
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Tromsø, Norway
J Chemother 10:399-404. 1998When occurring, malignant pericardial effusion (MPE) is usually a late phenomenon in most malignancies...
- Long-term results of intrapericardial chemotherapeutic treatment of malignant pericardial effusions with thiotepaAlessandro Martinoni
Cardiology Unit, Via Ripamonti 435, Milan, Italy
Chest 126:1412-6. 2004..This study was performed in order to investigate the long-term effects of intracavitary treatment with thiotepa in the reduction of pericardial effusion (PE) recurrences.
- Evaluation of intrapericardial cisplatin administration in cases with recurrent malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponadeWitold Zbyszek Tomkowski
National Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Institute, Płocka 26, 01 138 Warsaw, Poland
Support Care Cancer 12:53-7. 2004To evaluate the effectiveness and side effects of intrapericardial administration of cisplatin in prevention of recurrent malignant pericardial effusion.
- Prognostic factors for malignant pericardial effusion treated by pericardial drainage in solid-malignancy patientsKan Yonemori
Division of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Med Oncol 24:425-30. 2007Malignant pericardial effusion is a frequent complication of advanced incurable malignancies and requires treatment...
- Controlling malignant pericardial effusion by intrapericardial carboplatin administration in patients with primary non-small-cell lung cancerT Moriya
Department of Chest Medicine, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Br J Cancer 83:858-62. 2000Malignant pericarditis, when associated with massive pericardial effusion, presents a critical condition in lung cancer patients...
- Pericardial fat mimicking pericardial effusion on two-dimensional echocardiographyBalavenkatesh Kanna
Department of Internal Medicine, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Echocardiography 23:400-2. 2006..cardiomegaly, 2D-echocardiogram demonstrated anterior and posterior echo-free spaces consistent with large pericardial effusion (PE)...
- Prenatal diagnosis of a right ventricular diverticulum complicated by pericardial effusion in the first trimesterM Del Rio
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, ICGON, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:409-11. 2005A ventricular diverticulum associated with a large pericardial effusion was diagnosed at 13 weeks of gestation. The pericardial effusion resolved spontaneously by 20 weeks and the diverticular size remained the same during pregnancy...
- Fetal congenital cardiac diverticulum with pericardial effusion: two cases with different presentations in the first trimester of pregnancyF Prefumo
Fetal Medicine Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:405-8. 2005..Both presented with a large pericardial effusion. One fetus presented with increased NT which evolved into fetal hydrops...
- [NT pro-BNP levels in pericardial diseases and how they are used as complementary evaluation method of diastolic restriction. Initial experience: 25 cases]Fabio Fernandes
Instituto do Coracao, Hospital das Clinicas, Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Cardiol 86:175-80. 2006..To determine whether NT pro-BNP levels are high in patients reporting pericardial diseases, as well as to investigate how they relate to diastolic dysfunction echocardiographic measures...
- Cardiac tamponade, constrictive pericarditis, and restrictive cardiomyopathyJames A Goldstein
Division of Cardiology, William Beaumont Hospital, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Curr Probl Cardiol 29:503-67. 2004....
- Severe pericardial effusion in patients with concurrent malignancy: a retrospective analysis of prognostic factors influencing survivalD Dequanter
Department of Surgery, CHU Charleroi, Rue de Gozée, 601, 6110 Montigny le Tilleul, Belgium
Ann Surg Oncol 15:3268-71. 2008The treatment of massive and/or symptomatic pericardial effusion in patients with cancer remains a subject of discussion. Medical and surgical management have been proposed...
- [Central catheters and pericardial effusion: results of a multicentric retrospective study]P Jouvencel
Service de pédiatrie et néonatologie, 13, avenue Interne J Loëb, Centre Hospitalier de la Côte Basque, 64100 Bayonne, France
Arch Pediatr 12:1456-61. 2005To evaluate the use of neonatal central venous catheters (CVC) in 38 french neonatal units and occurrence of pericardial effusion (PCE) over the past 5 years.
- Cardiac diverticulum with pericardial effusion: report of two new cases treated by in-utero pericardiocentesis and a review of the literatureF M McAuliffe
National Maternity Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:401-4. 2005..Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, has previously reported two cases of cardiac diverticula complicated with pericardial effusion successfully treated in utero with aspiration of the pericardial fluid...
- Echocardiography in differentiating tuberculous from chronic idiopathic pericardial effusionS George
Heart 90:1338-9. 2004
- A case report of pacemaker lead perforation causing late pericardial effusion and subacute cardiac tamponadeChristine Howell
Division of Cardiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22401, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 20:271-5. 2005..A small perforation of the right atrial lead caused a slow effusion into the pericardial sac. The patient's unusual presentation, hospital course, pathophysiology, and treatment for cardiac tamponade are discussed...
- Left ventricular cardiac tamponade in the setting of cor pulmonale and circumferential pericardial effusion. Case report and review of the literatureRaghava R Gollapudi
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:214-7. 2005Circumferential pericardial effusion typically results in biventricular tamponade and equalization of intracardiac and pericardial pressure during diastole. However, tamponade may involve the right or left ventricle...
- Risk factors for pericardial effusion in inoperable esophageal cancer patients treated with definitive chemoradiation therapyXiong Wei
Department of Radiation Physics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:707-14. 2008To identify clinical and dosimetric factors influencing the risk of pericardial effusion (PCE) in patients with inoperable esophageal cancer treated with definitive concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy (RT).
- Pericardial diseaseWilliam C Little
Cardiology Section, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1045, USA
Circulation 113:1622-32. 2006
- Abnormal cytology predicts poor prognosis in cancer patients with pericardial effusionHeather L Gornik
Cardiovascular Medicine Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:5211-6. 2005..Malignancy and complications of its treatment are a common cause of pericardial effusion. The natural history of pericardial effusion remains largely unknown...
- Initial echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion determine the pericardial complicationsSang Hyun Kim
Division of Cardiology, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Cardiol 136:151-5. 2009Clinical implications of the initial echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion (PE) have not been clearly demonstrated. We sought to evaluate the clinical significance of echogenic materials in PE.
- Polycystin function in zebrafish (PA-06-158)Iain A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2010..a variety of ADPKD pathologies including cystic kidney disease, vascular aneurysm, abdominal wall hernia, pericardial effusion, and defects in chondrogenesis...
- IMMUNOMODULATION OF RETROVIRAL CARDIOPATHOLOGYRONALD WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract) Pericardial effusion, cardiomyopathy, and left ventricular dysfunction are prevalent in patients with AIDS...
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Diastolic Dysfunction & Atrial Fibrillation in ElderlyTERESA TSANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of the cascade of factors contributing to AF development will have important implications in primary prevention of this major public health problem. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Periostin in Myocardial Injury and RegenerationBernhard Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide the first detailed functional analysis of periostin in the recovery of the injured mammalian myocardium. The long-term goal is to provide new therapeutic approaches to heart failure. (End of Abstract) ..
- Vascular Complications of Polycystic Kidney DiseaseQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..This period of laboratory based study, plus the formalized career development program, is designed to train the candidate as a physician scientist with a unique expertise in vascular aspects of ADPKD. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Randomized trial of doxorubicin beads for arterial embolization of hepatocellularKaren Brown; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study is designed to determine the incremental value of arterial chemotherapy, as well as to validate an automated imaging method of assessing response to treatment. ..
- The Role of Polycystins in the Regulation of Intracellular Calcium and Vascular RQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information gained from the proposed study will greatly enhance our understanding in the pathogenesis of vascular complications in ADPKD and provide potential areas for therapeutic targets. ..
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The development of techniques and methods that can rapidly expand blood supply to injured tissue will have a significant impact on regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. ..
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven J Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2010..The development of techniques and methods that can rapidly expand blood supply to injured tissue will have a significant impact on regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. ..
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- LYMPHOCYTE RECRUITMENT IN LUNG TRANSPLANTATIONSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- ANTIFIBRILLATORY MECHANISMS OF INTRAPERICARDIAL AGENTSRICHARD VERRIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the proposed studies could lead to improved therapeutic approaches for suppression of life-threatening arrhythmias. ..
- Extracranial Stereotactic Radioablation in Lung CancerRonald McGarry; Fiscal Year: 2004....