Genomes and Genes
Summary: Presence of fluid within the pericardium.
Publications241 found, 100 shown here
- Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases executive summary; The Task force on the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseases of the European society of cardiologyBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine-Cardiology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 25:587-610. 2004
- Practical aspects of the management of pericardial diseaseBernhard Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine-Cardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Heart 89:1096-103. 2003
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade originating from uterine carcinosarcomaShoko Shimizu
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Tokyo Women s Medical University, 8 1 Kawada cho, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8666, Japan
Arch Gynecol Obstet 279:373-5. 2009..Cardiac tamponade caused by gynecologic malignancies are extremely rare...
- [Hemorrhagic nonspecific pericardial effusion as an initial symptom of angiosarcoma of the right heart]T Fortmann
, , , , Germany
Z Kardiol 93:807-12. 2004..In addition she suffered from physical asthenia. Seven months ago the patient was treated for symptomatic pericardial effusion in our clinic...
- A child with pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidismSrinath Sanda
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:1411-3. 2007..Hispanic girl without overt symptoms of hypothyroidism who presented with early cardiac tamponade from pericardial effusion due to previously unrecognized hypothyroidism...
- Pericardial effusion in atrial fibrillation ablation: a comparison between cryoballoon and radiofrequency pulmonary vein isolationGian Battista Chierchia
Heart Rhythm Management Centre, UZ Brussel VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Brussels, Belgium
Europace 12:337-41. 2010Atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation is increasingly being performed in electrophysiology laboratories. Pericardial effusion (PE) is certainly one of the most frequently observed complications during AF ablation...
- Rhabdomyolysis, renal failure, pericardial effusion, and acquired von Willebrand disease resulting from hypothyroidism in a 10-year-old girlAssimina Galli-Tsinopoulou
4th Department of Paediatrics, Medical School, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
Thyroid 18:373-5. 2008..In addition, the patient developed other uncommon manifestations of hypothyroidism such as pericardial effusion, acute renal failure, and acquired von Willebrand disease...
- A rare case of massive pericardial effusion secondary to hypothyroidismShang-Lin Chou
Emergency Department, Veterans General Hospital-Taipei, National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Emerg Med 28:293-6. 2005..The case of a patient presenting with a relatively asymptomatic massive pericardial effusion due to hypothyroidism is described...
- Congenital left ventricular aneurysm with pericardial effusion: prenatal diagnosis, surgical management and follow-upJ R Sharma
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Lincoln Medical Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10451, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 23:458-61. 2002
- Malignant pericardial effusion with metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma: discordance between ThinPrep and cell-block cytopreparationJonathan L Curry
Department of Pathology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, Illinois 60513, USA
Diagn Cytopathol 29:270. 2003
- PericarditisRichard W Troughton
Department of Medicine, Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Christchurch, New Zealand
Lancet 363:717-27. 2004..use of new imaging methods facilitates accurate detection and management of complications such as pericardial effusion or constriction...
- Preliminary investigation of the clinical value of vascular endothelial growth factor and hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha in pericardial fluid in diagnosing malignant and tuberculous pericardial effusionJiani Liu
Department of Internal Cardiology, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Jiefang Avenue 1095, Wuhan, China
Cardiology 116:37-41. 2010To investigate the clinical value of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha (HIF-1alpha) in diagnosing malignant and tuberculous pericardial effusion.
- Effect of posterior pericardial drainage on the incidence of pericardial effusion after ascending aortic surgerySadik Eryilmaz
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Ankara University, School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 132:27-31. 2006OBJECTIVE: Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade after ascending aortic surgery are higher than anticipated after cardiac surgery...
- Malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade in endometrial adenocarcinomaP Kheterpal
Department of Medicine, Lincoln Mental and Medical Health Center, 234 East 149th Street, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Gynecol Oncol 83:143-5. 2001Malignant pericardial effusion as a complication of gynecological cancers is a rare occurrence. A review of the literature revealed only two cases of pericardial effusion secondary to endometrial adenocarcinoma...
- Adenosine deaminase in the diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusionMaximiliano Arroyo
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:227-9. 2008..deaminase level in the pericardial fluid was consistent with the probable diagnosis of tuberculous pericardial effusion. The patient was treated with resolution of the clinical syndrome and no recurrence of the effusion ..
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug treatment for postoperative pericardial effusion: a multicenter randomized, double-blind trialPhilippe Meurin
Les Grands Prés, 27 rue Sainte Christine, 77174 Villeneuve Saint Denis, France
Ann Intern Med 152:137-43. 2010The incidence of asymptomatic pericardial effusion is high after cardiac surgery. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are widely prescribed in this setting, but no study has assessed their efficacy.
- Catheter drainage followed by the instillation of bleomycin to manage malignant pericardial effusion in non-small cell lung cancer: a multi-institutional phase II trialRiichiroh Maruyama
Kyushu Yamaguchi Thoracic Oncology Group, Kyushu Cancer Center, Minami Ku, Fukuoka, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 2:65-8. 2007Malignant pericardial effusion (MPE) causes cardiac tamponade and an extremely poor outcome unless it is well controlled...
- Long-term results of intrapericardial chemotherapeutic treatment of malignant pericardial effusions with thiotepaAlessandro Martinoni
Cardiology Unit, Via Ripamonti 435, Milan, Italy
Chest 126:1412-6. 2004..This study was performed in order to investigate the long-term effects of intracavitary treatment with thiotepa in the reduction of pericardial effusion (PE) recurrences.
- Controlling malignant pericardial effusion by intrapericardial carboplatin administration in patients with primary non-small-cell lung cancerT Moriya
Department of Chest Medicine, Chiba University School of Medicine, Chiba, Japan
Br J Cancer 83:858-62. 2000Malignant pericarditis, when associated with massive pericardial effusion, presents a critical condition in lung cancer patients...
- Management of malignant pericardial effusion with instillation of mitomycin C in non-small cell lung cancerKyoichi Kaira
Maebashi Red Cross Hospital, Department of Respiratory Medicine, 3 21 36, Asahi cho, Maebashi, Gunma 377 0014, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 35:57-60. 2005To evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of mitomycin C in the local control of malignant pericardial effusion, we carried out a trial of pericardial drainage with local instillation of mitomycin C in eight patients who suffered from ..
- Intracavitary chemotherapy with thiotepa in malignant pericardial effusions: an active and well-tolerated regimenM Colleoni
Division of Medical Oncology and Service of Cardiology, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
J Clin Oncol 16:2371-6. 1998Malignant pericardial effusion, although highly variable, is an uncommon complication of cancer. It is often associated with symptoms like dyspnea, chest pain, and cough, which may be severe and disabling...
- Prognostic factors for malignant pericardial effusion treated by pericardial drainage in solid-malignancy patientsKan Yonemori
Division of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Med Oncol 24:425-30. 2007Malignant pericardial effusion is a frequent complication of advanced incurable malignancies and requires treatment...
- Mitoxantrone in malignant pericardial effusionJ Norum
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Tromsø, Norway
J Chemother 10:399-404. 1998When occurring, malignant pericardial effusion (MPE) is usually a late phenomenon in most malignancies...
- Evaluation of intrapericardial cisplatin administration in cases with recurrent malignant pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponadeWitold Zbyszek Tomkowski
National Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases Research Institute, Płocka 26, 01 138 Warsaw, Poland
Support Care Cancer 12:53-7. 2004To evaluate the effectiveness and side effects of intrapericardial administration of cisplatin in prevention of recurrent malignant pericardial effusion.
- Treatment of malignant pericardial effusion with 32P-colloidW Dempke
Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Department of Internal Medicine IV, Halle, Germany
Br J Cancer 80:1955-7. 1999Malignant pericardial effusion is usually treated only when signs of cardiac tamponade develop. Several methods of treatment have been reported with an overall response rate of approximately 75%...
- Emergency echocardiography to detect pericardial effusion in patients in PEA and near-PEA statesVivek S Tayal
Department of Emergency Medicine, P O Box 32861, Charlotte, NC 28232, USA
Resuscitation 59:315-8. 2003..We observed the value of EM echo by emergency physicians in detecting pericardial effusion in patients in PEA and near PEA states.
- Tuberculous pericardial effusion--mediastinal lymph glands: the cause and clue to the etiologyGeorge Cherian
Department of Medicine and Cardiology, Chest Hospital, Kuwait
Indian Heart J 55:228-33. 2003Tuberculous pericardial effusion is most often due to the spread of tuberculosis from the mediastinal lymph glands; however, no attempt has yet been made to study these glands...
- Acute pericarditis: current concepts and practiceDavid H Spodick
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship Program, Saint Vincent Hospital, Worcester, USA
JAMA 289:1150-3. 2003
- Pericardial effusion in a homeless man due to Bartonella quintanaP Y Levy
, IFR48, CNRS UMR 6020, , , 13385 Marseille Cedex 05, France
J Clin Microbiol 41:5291-3. 2003..We report a case of pericardial effusion due to Bartonella quintana in a homeless man, diagnosed on the basis of PCR detection of Bartonella ..
- Evaluation of the presence of selected viral and bacterial nucleic acids in pericardial samples from dogs with or without idiopathic pericardial effusionEric Zini
Clinic for Small Animal Internal Medicine, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr 260, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet J 179:225-9. 2009..In canine idiopathic pericardial effusion there is as yet no conclusive evidence to support the involvement of an infectious agent...
- Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade as complications of neonatal long lines: are they really a problem?K Beardsall
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Rosie Maternity, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, UK
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 88:F292-5. 2003Aim: To estimate the frequency of pericardial effusion/cardiac tamponade associated with the use of neonatal percutaneous long lines (PLLs) over the past five years.
- Clinical course and predictors of pericardial effusion following cardiac transplantationA S Al Dadah
Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, USA
Transplant Proc 39:1589-92. 2007..Pericardial effusions occur frequently after orthotopic heart transplantation. There have been conflicting reports describing etiology, prognosis, and outcomes associated with these early postoperative effusions...
- A case report of pacemaker lead perforation causing late pericardial effusion and subacute cardiac tamponadeChristine Howell
Division of Cardiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22401, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 20:271-5. 2005..A small perforation of the right atrial lead caused a slow effusion into the pericardial sac. The patient's unusual presentation, hospital course, pathophysiology, and treatment for cardiac tamponade are discussed...
- Comparison of open subxiphoid pericardial drainage with percutaneous catheter drainage for symptomatic pericardial effusionJerome M McDonald
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110 1013, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 76:811-5; discussion 816. 2003..The optimal therapy for symptomatic pericardial effusions remains controversial. This paper compares outcomes after the two most commonly used techniques, percutaneous catheter drainage and operative subxiphoid pericardial drainage...
- Haemorrhagic pericardial effusion in an asbestos workerA Roggeri
UO di Pneumologia, Arcispedale S Maria Nuova, Viale Risorgimento 80, 42100 Reggio Emilia, Italy
Med Lav 94:391-4. 2003..An exceedingly small number of cases of benign pericardial effusion have been described so far in the medical literature.
- Does this patient with a pericardial effusion have cardiac tamponade?Christopher L Roy
Division of General Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
JAMA 297:1810-8. 2007..The clinical examination may assist in the decision to perform pericardiocentesis in patients with cardiac tamponade diagnosed by echocardiography...
- Fetal congenital cardiac diverticulum with pericardial effusion: two cases with different presentations in the first trimester of pregnancyF Prefumo
Fetal Medicine Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St George's Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:405-8. 2005..Both presented with a large pericardial effusion. One fetus presented with increased NT which evolved into fetal hydrops...
- Pericardial diseaseWilliam C Little
Cardiology Section, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1045, USA
Circulation 113:1622-32. 2006
- Prenatal diagnosis of a right ventricular diverticulum complicated by pericardial effusion in the first trimesterM Del Rio
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, ICGON, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:409-11. 2005A ventricular diverticulum associated with a large pericardial effusion was diagnosed at 13 weeks of gestation. The pericardial effusion resolved spontaneously by 20 weeks and the diverticular size remained the same during pregnancy...
- Pericardial effusion with vesiculobullous lesions in a young female. Bullous systemic lupus erythematosus (bullous SLE)R Dhir
Department of Dermatology, INHS Asvini, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 72:175-7. 2006
- Left ventricular cardiac tamponade in the setting of cor pulmonale and circumferential pericardial effusion. Case report and review of the literatureRaghava R Gollapudi
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Scripps Clinic, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:214-7. 2005Circumferential pericardial effusion typically results in biventricular tamponade and equalization of intracardiac and pericardial pressure during diastole. However, tamponade may involve the right or left ventricle...
- Pericardial fat mimicking pericardial effusion on two-dimensional echocardiographyBalavenkatesh Kanna
Department of Internal Medicine, Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, Bronx, New York 10451, USA
Echocardiography 23:400-2. 2006..cardiomegaly, 2D-echocardiogram demonstrated anterior and posterior echo-free spaces consistent with large pericardial effusion (PE)...
- [NT pro-BNP levels in pericardial diseases and how they are used as complementary evaluation method of diastolic restriction. Initial experience: 25 cases]Fabio Fernandes
Instituto do Coracao, Hospital das Clinicas, Sao Paulo, SP
Arq Bras Cardiol 86:175-80. 2006..To determine whether NT pro-BNP levels are high in patients reporting pericardial diseases, as well as to investigate how they relate to diastolic dysfunction echocardiographic measures...
- Abnormal cytology predicts poor prognosis in cancer patients with pericardial effusionHeather L Gornik
Cardiovascular Medicine Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:5211-6. 2005..Malignancy and complications of its treatment are a common cause of pericardial effusion. The natural history of pericardial effusion remains largely unknown...
- Idiopathic chylopericardium: an unusual cause of cardiac tamponadeSanjay Mehrotra
Department of Cardiology, Narayana Hrudayalaya, Bangalore 560099, India
Tex Heart Inst J 33:249-52. 2006Chylous pericardial effusion is an uncommon condition, and the treatment is difficult. We report a case of massive chylous pericardial effusion with tamponade in a 22-year-old man, managed successfully...
- Echocardiography in differentiating tuberculous from chronic idiopathic pericardial effusionS George
Heart 90:1338-9. 2004
- Pericardial effusion associated with an appropriately placed umbilical venous catheterA Sehgal
Department of Pediatrics, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
J Perinatol 27:317-9. 2007..b>Pericardial effusion (PCE) and cardiac tamponade are uncommon but potentially fatal complications of percutaneous, umbilical and ..
- Prognostic factors in the surgical management of pericardial effusion in the patient with concurrent malignancyCarey A Cullinane
Division of General Oncologic Surgery, City of Hope National Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Chest 125:1328-34. 2004BACKGROUND: Pericardial effusion in the patient with cancer presents a unique management problem...
- Cardiac diverticulum with pericardial effusion: report of two new cases treated by in-utero pericardiocentesis and a review of the literatureF M McAuliffe
National Maternity Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 25:401-4. 2005..Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, has previously reported two cases of cardiac diverticula complicated with pericardial effusion successfully treated in utero with aspiration of the pericardial fluid...
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome presenting as pericarditis and pericardial effusionAlwyn Rapose
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555 0435, USA
Cardiology 110:142-4. 2008..Pericarditis and pericardial effusion are rare manifestations of IRIS...
- The management of tuberculous pericardial effusion: experience in 233 consecutive patientsH Reuter
TREAD Research Cardiology Unit, Tygerberg Hospital and University of Stellenbosch, Parow, Western Cape, South Africa
Cardiovasc J S Afr 18:20-5. 2007..We report on the 30-day and one-year outcome of consecutive effusive pericarditis patients, including those with tuberculous pericarditis, over a six-year-period...
- Evolution of the postoperative pericardial effusion after day 15: the problem of the late tamponadePhilippe Meurin
Centre de réadaptation cardiaque de la Brie, Villeneuve Saint Denis, France
Chest 125:2182-7. 2004To evaluate, through clinical and transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) follow-up, the natural history of persistent pericardial effusion (PE) after postoperative day 15 in patients who were given and were not given anticoagulant therapy.
- Pleural and pericardial effusion: a potential ultrasonographic marker for the prenatal differential diagnosis between congenital diaphragmatic eventration and congenital diaphragmatic herniaC Jeanty
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 29:378-87. 2007To determine whether or not the presence of pleural and/or pericardial effusion can be used prenatally as an ultrasonographic marker for the differential diagnosis between diaphragmatic eventration and diaphragmatic hernia.
- Cardiac tamponade, constrictive pericarditis, and restrictive cardiomyopathyJames A Goldstein
Division of Cardiology, William Beaumont Hospital, 3601 West Thirteen Mile Road, Royal Oak, MI 48073, USA
Curr Probl Cardiol 29:503-67. 2004....
- [Central catheters and pericardial effusion: results of a multicentric retrospective study]P Jouvencel
Service de pédiatrie et néonatologie, 13, avenue Interne J Loëb, Centre Hospitalier de la Côte Basque, 64100 Bayonne, France
Arch Pediatr 12:1456-61. 2005To evaluate the use of neonatal central venous catheters (CVC) in 38 french neonatal units and occurrence of pericardial effusion (PCE) over the past 5 years.
- Clinical clues to the causes of large pericardial effusionsJ Sagrista-Sauleda
Servei de Cardiologia, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Med 109:95-101. 2000..To examine whether the size of the effusion, the presence of tamponade, and inflammatory signs are useful in determining the causes of moderate or severe pericardial effusions...
- Controlled clinical trial of complete open surgical drainage and of prednisolone in treatment of tuberculous pericardial effusion in TranskeiJ I Strang
Umtata Hospital, Transkei, Southern Africa
Lancet 2:759-64. 1988240 patients with active tuberculous pericardial effusion received a 4-drug daily antituberculosis regimen for 6 months and have been studied for 24 months or longer...
- Incidence of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department with unexplained dyspneaM Blaivas
Department of Emergency Medicine, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
Acad Emerg Med 8:1143-6. 2001To evaluate the frequency of pericardial effusion in patients presenting to the emergency department (ED) with unexplained, new onset dyspnea.
- Chylopericardium in adults: a literature review over the past decade (1996-2006)Chadi Dib
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Cardiovascular Surgery, Scottsdale, Ariz, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 136:650-6. 2008We present a systematic overview of the literature on reported cases of chylous pericardial effusion in adults over the past 10 years, assessing clinical presentation, etiology, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Chylopericardium after cardiac operations in childrenR M Campbell
Department of Critical Care Medicine, Toronto Hospital for Sick Children and University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ann Thorac Surg 72:193-6. 2001..Chylopericardium is a rare complication after operation for congenital heart disease. The incidence and clinical outcomes in a large cohort of surgical patients are unknown...
- Successful outcome after prenatal treatment of a cardiac diverticulum with massive pericardial effusionKhalil Abi-Nader
Fetal Medicine Unit, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and Obstetric Hospital, University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
Fetal Diagn Ther 25:148-52. 2009Congenital ventricular cardiac diverticula are rare. They may occur prenatally in association with a pericardial effusion which, if large enough, can compromise fetal circulatory and lung development...
- Risk factors for pericardial effusion in inoperable esophageal cancer patients treated with definitive chemoradiation therapyXiong Wei
Department of Radiation Physics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:707-14. 2008To identify clinical and dosimetric factors influencing the risk of pericardial effusion (PCE) in patients with inoperable esophageal cancer treated with definitive concurrent chemotherapy and radiation therapy (RT).
- Pericardial effusion and tamponade in infants with central cathetersTodd T Nowlen
Lillie Frank Abercrombie Section of Pediatric Cardiology, Texas Children s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Pediatrics 110:137-42. 2002..To describe the clinical presentation, cause, and outcome of central venous catheter (CVC)-related pericardial effusions (PCE) in infants...
- Pericardial effusion in AIDS. Incidence and survivalP A Heidenreich
Division of Cardiology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Circulation 92:3229-34. 1995BACKGROUND: Although pericardial effusion is known to be common among patients infected with HIV, the incidence of pericardial effusion and its relation to survival have never been described...
- Initial echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion determine the pericardial complicationsSang Hyun Kim
Division of Cardiology, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Int J Cardiol 136:151-5. 2009Clinical implications of the initial echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion (PE) have not been clearly demonstrated. We sought to evaluate the clinical significance of echogenic materials in PE.
- Intrapericardial treatment of autoreactive pericardial effusion with triamcinolone; the way to avoid side effects of systemic corticosteroid therapyB Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine-Cardiology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 23:1503-8. 2002..and safety of intrapericardial treatment with the crystalloid corticosteroid triamcinolone in autoreactive pericardial effusion. METHODS AND RESULTS: Two hundred and sixty consecutive patients with pericarditis/myopericarditis ..
- Neoplastic pericardial effusion. Efficacy and safety of intrapericardial treatment with cisplatinB Maisch
Department of Internal Medicine-Cardiology, Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Eur Heart J 23:1625-31. 2002..AND RESULTS: Out of the registry of 260 patients undergoing pericardiocentesis, 42 patients with neoplastic pericardial effusion (69% males, mean age 58.8+/-13...
- Association between parapneumonic effusion and pericardial effusion in a pediatric cohortJon E Roberts
Department of Pediatrics, Winthrop University Hospital, 120 Mineola Blvd, Suite 210, Mineola, NY 11501, USA
Pediatrics 122:e1231-5. 2008..Bacterial pneumonia is the most frequent cause of parapneumonic effusion; however, knowledge of the relationship between parapneumonic effusion and the presence of pericardial fluid in children is limited. We examined this relationship...
- Severe pericardial effusion in patients with concurrent malignancy: a retrospective analysis of prognostic factors influencing survivalD Dequanter
Department of Surgery, CHU Charleroi, Rue de Gozée, 601, 6110 Montigny le Tilleul, Belgium
Ann Surg Oncol 15:3268-71. 2008The treatment of massive and/or symptomatic pericardial effusion in patients with cancer remains a subject of discussion. Medical and surgical management have been proposed...
- Link between pericardial effusion and attenuation of QRS voltage in patients with hypothyroidismShigeo Yamanaka
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Kochi Medical School, Nankoku, Japan
Cardiology 116:32-6. 2010To determine the clinical correlates of pericardial effusion (PE) and a low-voltage electrocardiogram (ECG) in patients with primary hypothyroidism.
- Tuberculous pericarditis: optimal diagnosis and managementB W Trautner
Department of Medicine, Infectious Disease Section, Houston Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Infect Dis 33:954-61. 2001..No studies have addressed these issues specifically in HIV-positive patients, but the 3 HIV-positive patients in our series had an excellent response to drainage and antituberculous therapy...
- Recurrent pericardial tamponade from atrial hemangiomaNaoyuki Sata
Division of Cardiology, Shinkyo Hospital, Kagoshima, Japan
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1472-5. 2004..Pathologic diagnosis was a combination of cavernous- and venous-type hemangioma. The postoperative course was uneventful, and the patient was doing well with no pericardial effusion at the 10-month follow-up.
- Pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade in a cat with extranodal lymphomaA Zoia
Department of Veterinary Clinical Science, The Royal Veterinary College, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hertfordshire AL9 7TA
J Small Anim Pract 45:467-71. 2004..Pleural effusion was detected on thoracic radiographs and echocardiography revealed a pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade...
- Blind subxiphoid pericardiotomy (BSP) and emergency physicians performing percutaneous catheter drainage (PCD)Pradeep H Navsaria
J Trauma 62:264. 2007
- [Neoplastic pericarditis--the role of different diagnostic procedures]Anna Pawlak-Cieślik
Klinika Chorob Wewnetrznych Klatki Piersiowej
Pol Arch Med Wewn 115:37-44. 2006..Consecutive medical records of the patients with pericardial effusion treated with pericardiocentesis or pericardioscopy in the period of 1982-2002 were analyzed retrospectively...
- Images in cardiology: Pericardial yolk sac tumor presenting as cardiac tamponade in a 21-month-old childKavitha Chintala
Division of Cardiology, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Clin Cardiol 27:411. 2004
- The anteroposterior pericardial sac diameter measured by echocardiography correlates with the volume of pericardial effusion and with effort dyspneaAviv Mager
Department of Cardiology, Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Eur J Echocardiogr 6:358-62. 2005To examine the value of the anteroposterior pericardial sac diameter (APD) for prediction of the volume of pericardial effusion.
- [Cardiac tamponade in a neonate with cardiac tumour]Piotr Perdeus
, , 00-576 Warszawa
Kardiol Pol 64:309-11. 2006..A subsequent 10-month follow-up was uneventful. Diagnosis and treatment of cardiac tumours associated with pericardial effusion are discussed.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clinicopathological exercises. Case 22-2004. A 30-year-old woman with a pericardial effusionEdward A Nardell
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Cambridge Hospital, Cambridge, Mass, USA
N Engl J Med 351:279-87. 2004
- Percutaneous balloon pericardiotomy as a therapeutic alternative for cardiac tamponade and recurrent pericardial effusionC N Fakiolas
Cardiology Department, Tzanio Regional Hospital, Piraeus, Greece
Acta Cardiol 50:65-70. 1995..The later two patients have shown no signs of recurrence for fifteen and twelve months respectively...
- Successful treatment of malignant pericardial effusion, using weekly paclitaxel, in a patient with breast cancerTakahiro Einama
Department of Surgery, National Defense Medical College, 3-2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama, 359-8513, Japan
Int J Clin Oncol 11:412-5. 2006We report a case of metastatic breast cancer with pericardial effusion that was successfully treated with weekly paclitaxel...
- Pericardial effusion requiring pericardiocentesis in a girl with anorexia nervosaNicoletta Polli
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Milan, Ospedale San Luca IRCCS, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, Milan, Italy
Int J Eat Disord 39:609-11. 2006OBJECTIVE: Silent pericardial effusion is frequently observed in patients with anorexia nervosa. The nature of the pericardial fluid could never be established, as pericardiocentesis was ethically unfeasible...
- [Rare cause of right heart failure: two cases]A Stucki
, , Schweiz
Dtsch Med Wochenschr 130:1314-7. 2005..The echocardiogram confirmed a pericardial effusion causing a cardiac tamponade. A therapeutic and diagnostic pericardiocentesis was performed immediately...
- Echocardiography in the diagnosis and management of pericardial diseaseMauro Pepi
Centro Cardiologico Fondazione I Monzino, I R C C S, Milan, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 7:533-44. 2006..Finally this review covers the echocardiographic diagnosis of pericardial cysts and masses and constrictive pericarditis...
- Percutaneous balloon pericardiotomy for the treatment of infected pericardial effusion with tamponadeRaed Aqel
Birmingham VA Medical Center and University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Invasive Cardiol 18:E194-7. 2006..We describe a patient with purulent pericardial effusion and cardiac tamponade who was treated successfully and without complications with percutaneous balloon ..
- Pericardial tamponade as the first manifestation of adenocarcinomaI de la Gandara
Services of Oncology, Hospital La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Acta Oncol 36:429-31. 1997..The therapeutic procedures included pericardiocentesis in 9 patients (6 of whom had recurrent tamponade), a pericardial window in 4 and pericardiotomy in 4 (without recurrences). The mean survival was 4 months...
- A case of cardiac tamponade following esophageal resectionYoshiaki Mizuguchi
First Department of Surgery, Nippon Medical School, 1-1-5 Sendagi, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8603, Japan
J Anesth 19:249-51. 2005..Acute pericarditis due to the original surgical procedure was suspected to be the cause of the tamponade. Although rare, cardiac tamponade should be considered as a cause of hemodynamic instability after esophageal resection...
- Cardiac tamponade as manifestation of advanced thymic carcinomaMing-Fang Cheng
Department of Pathology, Tri-Service General Hospital and National Defense Medical Center, Neihu, Taipei, Taiwan
Heart Lung 34:136-41. 2005..Pathologic examination showed a moderately differentiated squamous cell carcinoma. Postoperative radiotherapy and chemotherapy were introduced. The patient has subsequently done well for the past 10 months...
- Pericardial tamponade and large pericardial effusions: causal factors and efficacy of percutaneous catheter drainage in 50 patientsMehmet Kabukcu
Department of Cardiology, Akdeniz University, School of Medicine, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Tex Heart Inst J 31:398-403. 2004In 50 patients treated from January 1998 through March 2002 for pericardial effusion and tamponade, we retrospectively investigated the efficacy of percutaneous placement of an indwelling pericardial catheter guided by 2-dimensional ..
- Reversal of left ventricular remodeling by pericardial tamponadePrem Soman
Division of Cardiology, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Boston, MA 02451, USA
J Card Fail 11:131-3. 2005
- Pericardial tamponade as initial presentation of papillary thyroid carcinomaF M González Valverde
Department of Surgery, Hospital de la Vega Baja, Orihuela, Spain
Eur J Surg Oncol 31:205-7. 2005We herein describe a 19-year-old woman who presented with pericardial effusion that resulted in heart tamponade. The clinicopathological study revealed papillary carcinoma of the thyroid metastasized to the heart...
- Yawning for an answerTsung O Cheng
Am J Cardiol 95:437. 2005
- Perils of pericardiocentesisCalvin S H Ng
Department of Surgery, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, China
Br J Hosp Med (Lond) 67:436-7. 2006
- Clinical and echocardiographic characteristics of pericardial effusion in patients who underwent echocardiographically guided pericardiocentesis: Yonsei Cardiovascular Center experience, 1993-2003Byoung Chul Cho
Cardiology Division, Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Sinchon-dong Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 45:462-8. 2004..as an alternative to electrocardiographically or fluoroscopically guided puncture for the management of pericardial effusion. The objective of this study was to investigate echocardiographically (echo)- guided pericardiocenteses ..
- Three's company: an unusual clueZachary D Goldberger
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Med 121:774-6. 2008
- Repetitive yawning associated with cardiac tamponadeMori J Krantz
Department of Medicine, Cardiology Division, Denver Health Medical Center, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80204 4507, USA
Am J Cardiol 94:701-2. 2004..We report a case of acute cardiac tamponade resulting from a large, malignant pericardial effusion. The patient manifested striking repetitive yawning that resolved immediately after pericardial drainage...
- Chylous pericardial effusion after aortic valve replacementSalim S Chaloob
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Level 4, East Wing, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide 5000, South Australia
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 16:e21-2. 2008Chylous pericardial effusion after open-heart surgery is a rare complication. We report a case of chylous pericardial effusion following aortic valve replacement, which presented as cardiac tamponade, and its subsequent management.
- Angiosarcoma in a pregnant woman presenting with pericardial tamponade--a case report and review of the literatureNassir A Azimi
Yale University School of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Angiology 57:251-7. 2006..They review the literature involving pericardial disease in pregnancy and discuss important issues in management and include a discussion of angiosarcoma...
- Successful treatment of metastatic hormone-refractory prostate cancer with malignant pericardial tamponade using docetaxelBrandon M Hayes-Lattin
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Urology 59:137. 2002Reports of malignant pericardial effusion due to adenocarcinoma of the prostate are few and describe only patients with hormone-naive disease...
- Pericardial drainage for pericardial tamponade: surgical management criteriaL Ballore
Divisione e Cattedra di Cardiochirurgia,
Acta Biomed Ateneo Parmense 72:75-8. 2001..The causes of pericardial effusion were: malignancy in 8 patients (9.7%), post-cardiac surgery in 12 (14...
- Consecutive 1127 therapeutic echocardiographically guided pericardiocenteses: clinical profile, practice patterns, and outcomes spanning 21 yearsTeresa S M Tsang
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:429-36. 2002..001). CONCLUSIONS: The profile of patients presenting with clinically significant pericardial effusion has changed over time...
- Polycystin function in zebrafish (PA-06-158)Iain A Drummond; Fiscal Year: 2010..a variety of ADPKD pathologies including cystic kidney disease, vascular aneurysm, abdominal wall hernia, pericardial effusion, and defects in chondrogenesis...
- IMMUNOMODULATION OF RETROVIRAL CARDIOPATHOLOGYRONALD WATSON; Fiscal Year: 2001DESCRIPTION (Adapted from applicant's abstract) Pericardial effusion, cardiomyopathy, and left ventricular dysfunction are prevalent in patients with AIDS...
- Acuson Sequoia UltrasonographBrian Hoit; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Diastolic Dysfunction & Atrial Fibrillation in ElderlyTERESA TSANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of the cascade of factors contributing to AF development will have important implications in primary prevention of this major public health problem. ..
- Physiology of Systemic and Pulmonary MicroangiectasiasSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Periostin in Myocardial Injury and RegenerationBernhard Kuhn; Fiscal Year: 2009..These studies will provide the first detailed functional analysis of periostin in the recovery of the injured mammalian myocardium. The long-term goal is to provide new therapeutic approaches to heart failure. (End of Abstract) ..
- Vascular Complications of Polycystic Kidney DiseaseQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..This period of laboratory based study, plus the formalized career development program, is designed to train the candidate as a physician scientist with a unique expertise in vascular aspects of ADPKD. ..
- Cardiac MDCT for Early Triage of Patients with ACSUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Randomized trial of doxorubicin beads for arterial embolization of hepatocellularKaren Brown; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study is designed to determine the incremental value of arterial chemotherapy, as well as to validate an automated imaging method of assessing response to treatment. ..
- The Role of Polycystins in the Regulation of Intracellular Calcium and Vascular RQi Qian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The information gained from the proposed study will greatly enhance our understanding in the pathogenesis of vascular complications in ADPKD and provide potential areas for therapeutic targets. ..
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The development of techniques and methods that can rapidly expand blood supply to injured tissue will have a significant impact on regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. ..
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Adult Tissue Morphogenesis: Functinoal Regulation of Intussusceptive AntiogenesisSteven J Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2010..The development of techniques and methods that can rapidly expand blood supply to injured tissue will have a significant impact on regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. ..
- PROMISE Trial: Dx CoreUdo Hoffmann; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Microangiectasia Regulation of Lymphocyte MigrationSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- LYMPHOCYTE RECRUITMENT IN LUNG TRANSPLANTATIONSteven Mentzer; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- ANTIFIBRILLATORY MECHANISMS OF INTRAPERICARDIAL AGENTSRICHARD VERRIER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Ultimately, the proposed studies could lead to improved therapeutic approaches for suppression of life-threatening arrhythmias. ..
- Extracranial Stereotactic Radioablation in Lung CancerRonald McGarry; Fiscal Year: 2004....