Genomes and Genes
Summary: Inflammation of a transverse portion of the spinal cord characterized by acute or subacute segmental demyelination or necrosis. The condition may occur sporadically, follow an infection or vaccination, or present as a paraneoplastic syndrome (see also ENCEPHALOMYELITIS, ACUTE DISSEMINATED). Clinical manifestations include motor weakness, sensory loss, and incontinence. (Adams et al., Principles of Neurology, 6th ed, pp1242-6)
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Idiopathic recurrent transverse myelitisKwang Kuk Kim
Department of Neurology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Arch Neurol 60:1290-4. 2003To determine whether idiopathic recurrent transverse myelitis (RTM) can be distinguished from multiple sclerosis-associated RTM (MSRTM) on the basis of clinical manifestations of myelopathy, or findings from magentic resonance imaging or ..
- Emergency department presentations of transverse myelitis: two case reportsHeather S Hammerstedt
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Ann Emerg Med 46:256-9. 2005b>Transverse myelitis, a diagnosis that may be made in the emergency department (ED) by emergency physicians, can be difficult to diagnose because of its variable signs and symptoms and its poorly understood pathogenesis...
- Neuromyelitis optica IgG predicts relapse after longitudinally extensive transverse myelitisBrian G Weinshenker
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Neurol 59:566-9. 2006We investigated whether neuromyelitis optica (NMO) IgG seropositivity at the initial presentation of longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis (LETM) predicts relapse of myelitis or development of optic neuritis.
- Idiopathic acute transverse myelitis: application of the recent diagnostic criteriaJ de Seze
Department of Neurology, University of Lille, France
Neurology 65:1950-3. 2005Despite an extensive diagnostic workup, some cases of acute transverse myelitis (ATM) remain of unknown etiology and have been referred to as "idiopathic" by the Transverse Myelitis Consortium group...
- Lyme disease presenting as subacute transverse myelitisFiliz Koc
Department of Neurology, Cukurova University School of Medicine, Adana, Turkey
Acta Neurol Belg 109:326-9. 2009..Immunoglobulin M antibody to B. burgdorferi was positive on Western blotting in both serum and cerebrospinal fluid. The patient was diagnosed with subacute neuroborreliosis and treated...
- Clinical study of childhood acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, multiple sclerosis, and acute transverse myelitis in Fukuoka Prefecture, JapanHiroyuki Torisu
Department of Pediatrics, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Brain Dev 32:454-62. 2010..conducted a multicenter, population-based study on childhood ADEM, multiple sclerosis, and acute isolated transverse myelitis in Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan...
- Acute transverse myelitis as a main manifestation of early stage II neuroborreliosis in two patientsLiesbeth Meurs
Department of Neurology, Clinique Sainte Elisabeth, Brussels, Belgium
Eur Neurol 52:186-8. 2004
- Aquaporin-4 antibodies in neuromyelitis optica and longitudinally extensive transverse myelitisPatrick Waters
Neurosciences Group, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DS, England
Arch Neurol 65:913-9. 2008..There is increasing recognition of antibody-mediated immunotherapy-responsive neurologic diseases and a need for appropriate immunoassays...
- Acute partial transverse myelitis: risk factors for conversion to multiple sclerosisJ Sellner
Department of Neurology, Inselspital, Bern University Hospital and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland corrected
Eur J Neurol 15:398-405. 2008Acute partial transverse myelitis (APTM) may be the first clinical manifestation of multiple sclerosis (MS), of relapsing myelitis, or remain a monophasic event...
- Transverse myelitis secondary to coexistent Lyme disease and babesiosisChristina V Oleson
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Spinal Cord Med 26:168-71. 2003To describe transverse myelitis secondary to coexistent Lyme disease and babesiosis.
- Recurrent transverse myelitis associates with anti-Ro (SSA) autoantibodiesL K Hummers
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neurology 62:147-9. 2004b>Transverse myelitis (TM) is an idiopathic inflammatory disorder of the spinal cord...
- Acute transverse myelitis following dengue virus infectionRaymond C S Seet
Division of Neurology, National University Hospital, 5 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119074, Singapore
J Clin Virol 35:310-2. 2006The spinal cord is infrequently affected following dengue virus infection. We report a case of transverse myelitis that developed 2 weeks after acute dengue infection and review the literature to elucidate the pathogenesis of spinal cord ..
- Neuromyelitis optica IgG status in acute partial transverse myelitisThomas F Scott
Department of Neurology, Drexel University College of Medicine and Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Arch Neurol 63:1398-400. 2006..Furthermore, a high proportion of patients with longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis (characterized by spinal cord lesions extending 3 vertebral segments or more on magnetic resonance imaging) ..
- Neuromyelitis optica (NMO) antibody positivity in patients with transverse myelitis and no visual manifestationsSheri E Hamnik
Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
Semin Ophthalmol 23:191-200. 2008..To describe a subgroup of patients with IgG antibody to Aquaporin 4 Protein (AQP4) specific to neuromyelitis optica (NMO), who did not have clinical manifestations of optic nerve involvement at the time of diagnosis...
- Acute transverse myelitis with normal brain MRI : long-term risk of MSJui Perumal
Multiple Sclerosis Center, Dept of Neurology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
J Neurol 255:89-93. 2008To investigate the long-term risk of developing MS in patients presenting with acute transverse myelitis (ATM) and normal brain MRI scans at onset.
- Isolation of dengue 2 virus from a patient with central nervous system involvement (transverse myelitis)Raimundo N Q Leão
Departamento de Saude Comunitaria, Universidade do Estado do Pará, Belem, PA, Brazil
Rev Soc Bras Med Trop 35:401-4. 2002..patient with febrile illness and thrombocytopenia complicated by neurological involvement characterized by transverse myelitis followed by weakness of both legs and flaccid paralysis...
- Proposed diagnostic criteria and nosology of acute transverse myelitisGustavo C Roman
Neurology 60:730-1; author reply 730-1. 2003
- The clinical course of idiopathic acute transverse myelitis in patients from Rio de JaneiroMarina Papais Alvarenga
Departamento de Neurologia, Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rua Mariz e Barros 775, Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro 20270 004, Brazil
J Neurol 257:992-8. 2010The aim of this study was to describe the demographic, clinical and laboratory features of idiopathic acute transverse myelitis (IATM)...
- Protein culprit found for transverse myelitis?Helen Pilcher
Lancet Neurol 4:702. 2005
- Acute transverse myelitis in children: clinical course and prognostic factorsPierre Defresne
Service de Neurologie, Departement de Pediatrie, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Bruxelles, Belgium
J Child Neurol 18:401-6. 2003The objective of this study was to describe the clinical course of acute transverse myelitis in children, to identify prognostic factors, and to compare our findings with published data Twenty-four children, aged 2 to 14 years and ..
- Transverse myelitis following general and epidural anaesthesia in a paediatric patientE Martinez-Garcia
Department of Anaesthesia, Children University Hospital, Nino Jesus, Madrid, Spain
Anaesthesia 60:921-3. 2005A 13-year-old girl developed transverse myelitis 2 weeks after an uncomplicated, combined general and epidural anaesthetic for orthopaedic surgery. Since epidural anaesthesia had been used, a causal relationship might have been assumed...
- Acute partial transverse myelitis with normal cerebral magnetic resonance imaging: transition rate to clinically definite multiple sclerosisThomas F Scott
Drexel University College of Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Mult Scler 11:373-7. 2005To determine the long-term risk of developing clinically definite multiple sclerosis (CDMS) in patients with acute partial transverse myelitis (APTM) and normal cerebral magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans.
- Recurrent transverse myelitis following neurobrucellosis: immunologic features and beneficial response to immunosuppressionChitra Krishnan
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Neurovirol 11:225-31. 2005..report the clinical course and immune system response of a patient with disease-associated recurrent transverse myelitis (TM) following cerebral infection with Brucellosis melitensis...
- Acute transverse myelitis after Japanese B encephalitis vaccination in a 4-year-old girlMika Matsui
Department of Child Development, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 0811, Japan
Brain Dev 24:187-9. 2002..Although the pathological process remains unknown, cellular autoimmune mechanism against the JBE vaccination is suspected...
- Transverse myelitis in a patient with primary antiphospholipid syndromeDong Min Lee
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chonbuk National University Medical School, and Research Institute of Clinical Medicine, 634 18 Keumam dong, Duckjin Gu, Chonju, Chonbuk 561 712, Korea
Yonsei Med J 44:323-7. 2003The neurological manifestations of antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) are diverse. Transverse myelitis (TM) is an uncommon, but well-known neurological complication of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)...
- Compartmentalization of the immune response in varicella zoster virus immune restoration disease causing transverse myelitisBenjamin M Clark
AIDS 18:1218-21. 2004
- Bladder dysfunction in acute transverse myelitis: magnetic resonance imaging and neurophysiological and urodynamic correlationsJ Kalita
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi PGIMS, Lucknow, India
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 73:154-9. 2002To evaluate micturition abnormalities in acute transverse myelitis and correlate these with evoked potentials, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and urodynamic findings.
- Acute transverse myelitis: a practical reappraisalMaria José Sá
Department of Neurology, Hospital S Joao, Alameda Professor Hernani Monteiro, Porto, Portugal
Autoimmun Rev 9:128-31. 2009Acute transverse myelitis (ATM), a subgroup of various conditions that cause transverse spinal cord syndromes, is an inflammatory and usually idiopathic spinal cord disease...
- Unusual complications of heroin abuse: transverse myelitis, rhabdomyolysis, compartment syndrome, and ARFVaibhav Sahni
Department of Internal Medicine, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:153-5. 2008..We report here the simultaneous presentation of multiple complications of heroin toxicity...
- Acute transverse myelitis associated with dengue viral infectionNouansompheng Chanthamat
Department of Internal Medicine, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand
J Spinal Cord Med 33:425-7. 2010Acute transverse myelitis is a rare manifestation of dengue viral infection. Four cases have been previously reported in the literature.
- Transverse myelitis in a patient with long-standing ankylosing spondylitisD H Oh
Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
Clin Exp Rheumatol 19:195-6. 2001..of a spastic paraparesis failed and therefore led to the conclusion that this patient was suffering from transverse myelitis. Similar reports in the past have been attributed to an association with multiple sclerosis; however, we ..
- Cytomegalovirus-associated acute transverse myelitis in immunocompetent adultsC A Fux
Institute for Infectious Diseases, University of Bern, Switzerland
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:1187-90. 2003We report a case of transverse myelitis as a complication of acute cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection in immunocompetent patients; and review the literature on the entity...
- Concomitant transverse myelitis and acute motor axonal neuropathy in an adolescentKatherine B Howell
Children s Neurosciences Centre, Royal Children s Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Pediatr Neurol 37:378-81. 2007..Imaging and neurophysiologic studies were diagnostic for transverse myelitis with acute motor axonal neuropathy...
- Venous hypertensive myelopathy as a potential mimic of transverse myelitisC Krishnan
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Spinal Cord 42:261-4. 2004..Case report...
- Acute transverse myelitis and hepatitis C virusPasquale Annunziata
Department of Neurological Sciences and Behaviour, Centre for Research on Multiple Sclerosis and Neuroimmunological Diseases, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Infez Med 13:45-7. 2005..Here, we report a case of acute transverse myelitis in a woman developing 4 years after documented HCV seropositivity, associated with intrathecal anti-HCV ..
- Acupuncture for back pain, knee pain and insomnia in transverse myelitis - a case reportSonia A Vaghela
Senior Physiotherapist, Linden lodge Neuro Rehabilitation Unit, Nottingham University Hospitals, NHS Trust, UK
Acupunct Med 26:188-92. 2008..use of acupuncture for back pain, knee pain and insomnia in a 49 year old woman with a recent diagnosis of transverse myelitis with paraplegia, sensory disturbance, and bladder and bowel dysfunction...
- Transverse myelitis in systemic sclerosisAmir M Torabi
Department of Neurology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8897, USA
Arch Neurol 61:126-8. 2004..Neurological involvement occurs rarely with systemic sclerosis (SSc). Only a few cases of transverse myelopathy have been reported in the setting of SSc...
- Transverse myelitis as a rare, serious complication of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infectionGyörgyi Csábi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pecs, 7623 Pecs, Hungary
Pediatr Neurol 41:312-3. 2009We report on the first published case of a Mycoplasma pneumoniae-associated transverse myelitis appearing in childhood and leading to persistent paraplegia and bowel and bladder dysfunctions...
- Idiopathic acute transverse myelitis: a clinical study and prognostic markers in 45 casesJ Bruna
Department of Neurology, Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Institut d Investigacio Biomedica de Bellvitge, Universitat de Barcelona, Spain
Mult Scler 12:169-73. 2006The Transverse Myelitis Consortium Working Group has proposed new diagnostic criteria for idiopathic acute transverse myelitis (ATM)...
- Clinical characteristics, prognosis, and seropositivity to the anti-aquaporin-4 antibody in Korean patients with longitudinally extensive transverse myelitisSu Hyun Kim
Department of Neurology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yon Gun Dong, Chong Ro, Seoul, Korea
J Neurol 257:920-5. 2010Longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis (LETM) is a syndrome with extensive spinal cord lesions spanning three or more vertebral segments on spinal cord MRI...
- Aquaporin-4 antibody positive longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis following varicella zoster infectionKristin Heerlein
Division of Molecular Neuroimmunology, Department of Neurology, University of Heidelberg, Germany
J Neurol Sci 276:184-6. 2009Longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis (LETM) is a condition shown to confer high risk of conversion into neuromyelitis optica (NMO)...
- Acute transverse myelitis associated with scrub typhus: case report and a review of literaturesKwang Lae Lee
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Gachon University of Medicine and Science, Incheon 405 760, Korea
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:237-9. 2008We describe a rare case of acute transverse myelitis associated with scrub typhus...
- Transverse myelitis and vaccines: a multi-analysisN Agmon-Levin
Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Lupus 18:1198-204. 2009b>Transverse myelitis is a rare clinical syndrome in which an immune-mediated process causes neural injury to the spinal cord...
- Transverse myelitis associated to HCV infectionDiego Michelon de Carli
Clinica Medica, Hospital Universitario de Santa Maria, Rua dos Andradas no 1125 301, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 13:147-52. 2009..Among them, it appears the transverse myelitis, which has already been reported in likely association with HCV...
- Transverse myelitis as the first manifestation of systemic lupus erythematosus or lupus-like disease: good functional outcome and relevance of antiphospholipid antibodiesDavid P D'Cruz
Louise Coote Lupus Unit, St Thomas Hospital, London Rivermead Rehabilitation Centre, Oxford, United Kingdom
J Rheumatol 31:280-5. 2004b>Transverse myelitis (TM) is a rare complication of systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). Although usually a late manifestation of SLE, it can occur at presentation...
- [Case of recurrent transverse myelitis and diplopia after meningomyeloradiculitis caused by Epstein-Barr virus]Masayuki Ochi
Department of Geriatric Medicine, Medicine and Bioscience, Graduate School of Medicine, Ehime University
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 47:348-52. 2007..The symptoms improved after steroid pulse therapy, but relapses of transverse myelitis and diplopia due to disturbance of the bilateral abducent nerves and left trochlear nerve occurred 7, 12, ..
- Severe hypertension and bradycardia after dexmedetomidine for radiology sedation in a patient with acute transverse myelitisShailesh Shah
Paediatr Anaesth 18:681-2. 2008
- Leptospirosis with transverse myelitisS Kavitha
J Assoc Physicians India 53:159-60. 2005
- Acute transverse myelitis following hepatitis E virus infectionKausik Mandal
Indian Pediatr 43:365-6. 2006
- Nosology of idiopathic transverse myelitis syndromesThomas F Scott
Department of Neurology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15212, USA
Acta Neurol Scand 115:371-6. 2007..Several terms are now commonly used to describe various presentations of idiopathic myelitis, including acute transverse myelitis, acute partial transverse myelitis, and secondary myelitis...
- Discriminatory features of acute transverse myelitis: a retrospective analysis of 45 patientsMichael Harzheim
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, D 53105, Bonn, Germany
J Neurol Sci 217:217-23. 2004Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is a pathogenetically heterogeneous inflammatory disorder of the spinal cord. Therefore, the identification of clinical and paraclinical features providing clues of the underlying etiologies is needed...
- Inflammatory transverse myelitis: evolving conceptsSean J Pittock
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 19:362-8. 2006Acute transverse myelitis is a pathogenetically heterogeneous inflammatory disorder of the spinal cord. Here we describe recent advances in inflammatory non-infectious transverse myelitis...
- Determinants of prognosis of acute transverse myelitis in childrenReiko Miyazawa
Department of Pediatrics, Tone Central Hospital, Numata, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi and Saku Central Hospital, Minamisaku, Nagano, Japan
Pediatr Int 45:512-6. 2003Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is a severe disorder; recovery requires several months and often leaves neurologic residua...
- Is methyl prednisolone useful in acute transverse myelitis?J Kalita
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Raebareli Road, Lucknow 226 014, India
Spinal Cord 39:471-6. 2001..Hospital based observational study...
- Acute transverse myelitis in childhood: center-based analysis of 47 casesF S Pidcock
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Neurology 68:1474-80. 2007To relate clinical characteristics associated with acute transverse myelitis (ATM) in children with functional outcomes at follow-up.
- Can electromyography predict the prognosis of transverse myelitis?U K Misra
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, India
J Neurol 245:741-4. 1998The role of clinical and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) features on the prognosis of acute transverse myelitis has been studied, but the role of electromyography (EMG) changes, although reported, has not been investigated...
- Idiopathic severe recurrent transverse myelitis: a restricted variant of neuromyelitis opticaKoon Ho Chan
Division of Neurology, University Department of Medicine, 4th Floor, Professorial Block, Pokfulam Road, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107:132-5. 2005Recurrent idiopathic transverse myelitis occur in multiple sclerosis (MS) and neuromyelitis optica (NMO)...
- Neurophysiological studies in acute transverse myelitisJ Kalita
Department of Neurology, Sanjay Gandhi PGIMS, Lucknow 226014, India
J Neurol 247:943-8. 2000..and somatosensory (SEPs) evoked potentials, respectively, which may provide valuable information on acute transverse myelitis (ATM)...
- Efficacy of high dose steroid therapy in children with severe acute transverse myelitisP Defresne
Service de Neurologie, Departement de Pediatrie, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Avenue Hippocrate 10, 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 71:272-4. 2001..The treatment had a significant effect on the proportion of patients walking independently at 1 month and on the proportion with full recovery at 1 year, with no differences in the frequency of complications between the two groups...
- Transverse myelitis spectrum disordersLekha Pandit
Department of Neurology, KS Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore, India
Neurol India 57:126-33. 2009Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is an inflammatory demyelinating disorder that affects the spinal cord focally resulting in motor sensory and autonomic dysfunction...
- Interleukin-17 in transverse myelitis and multiple sclerosisJerome J Graber
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Baltimore, MD 21287 6965, United States
J Neuroimmunol 196:124-32. 2008CSF IL-6 is elevated in transverse myelitis (TM) and predicts disability...
- Re: transverse myelitis after measles and rubella vaccinationMilan Cizman
J Paediatr Child Health 41:460. 2005
- IL-6 induces regionally selective spinal cord injury in patients with the neuroinflammatory disorder transverse myelitisAdam I Kaplin
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Clin Invest 115:2731-41. 2005b>Transverse myelitis (TM) is an immune-mediated spinal cord disorder associated with inflammation, demyelination, and axonal damage...
- Transverse myelitis in 2 patients with Bartonella henselae infection (cat scratch disease)Peter Baylor
Department of Medicine, Veteran s Affairs Medical Center, Fresno, CA 93703, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:e42-5. 2007..This report describes 2 cases of transverse myelitis: 1 case in a 46-year-old man who had lymph node biopsy and serological testing results that were positive ..
- Acute transverse myelitis in a 7-month-old boy after diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis immunizationR M S Riel-Romero
Department of Neurology, University of Kentucky, Kentucky, USA
Spinal Cord 44:688-91. 2006Case report of a 7-month-old boy, who developed acute transverse myelitis after diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis immunization.
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae--associated transverse myelitis and rhabdomyolysisWen Chin Weng
Department of Pediatrics, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Pediatr Neurol 40:128-30. 2009..previously healthy 4-year-old boy who displayed a novel simultaneous onset of both acute rhabdomyolysis and transverse myelitis associated with an infection of M. pneumoniae...
- An approach to the diagnosis of acute transverse myelitisAnu Jacob
Division of Neurology, Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Semin Neurol 28:105-20. 2008The differential diagnosis of acute inflammatory transverse myelitis (ATM) is broad...
- [Myelopathy due to vitamin B12 deficiency presenting as transverse myelitis]Luiz Felipe Rocha Vasconcellos
Instituto de Neurologia Deolindo Couto, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 60:150-4. 2002..We report a case with transverse myelitis due to vitamin B12 deficiency...
- Combination of transverse myelitis and arachnoiditis in cauda equina syndrome of long-standing ankylosing spondylitis: MRI features and its role in clinical managementHoward Haw Chang Lan
Department of Radiology, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Clin Rheumatol 26:1963-7. 2007..We report a patient of CES-AS in whom MRI disclosed acute transverse myelitis and arachnoiditis along the lower spinal cord, and discuss the pathogenesis of CES-AS and the role of MRI ..
- Immunopathogenesis of acute transverse myelitisDouglas A Kerr
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Pathology 627 C, 6000 N Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287 6965, USA
Curr Opin Neurol 15:339-47. 2002Acute transverse myelitis is a group of disorders characterized by focal inflammation of the spinal cord and resultant neural injury...
- Acute transverse myelitis and Guillain-Barré overlap syndrome with serological evidence for mumps viraemiaN P Bajaj
Department of Neurology, Hurstwood Park Neurology Centre, Hurstwood Lane, West Sussex, United Kingdom
Acta Neurol Scand 104:239-42. 2001Both acute transverse myelitis (ATM) and Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) occur as rare associations with mumps viraemia but to our knowledge, concurrent ATM and GBS related to mumps has only been reported once previously...
- Transverse myelitis after vaccinationG Zanoni
Eur J Neurol 9:696-7. 2002
- Idiopathic transverse myelitis: corticosteroids, plasma exchange, or cyclophosphamideB M Greenberg
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 5371, USA
Neurology 68:1614-7. 2007b>Transverse myelitis is a focal disorder of the spinal cord in which an immune-mediated process results in neural injury...
- Transverse Myelitis: pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatmentChitra Krishnan
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins Transverse Myelitis Center, 600 N Wolfe Street Pathology 627C, Baltimore MD 21287 6965, USA
Front Biosci 9:1483-99. 2004b>Transverse Myelitis (TM) is a clinical syndrome in which an immune-mediated process causes neural injury to the spinal cord, resulting in varying degrees of weakness, sensory alterations and autonomic dysfunction...
- A case of Sjögren's syndrome with acute transverse myelitis and polyneuropathy in a patient free of sicca symptomsAntonio G Tristano
Clin Rheumatol 25:113-4. 2006Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is an inflammatory process involving a restricted area of the spinal cord...
- Atypical transverse myelitis due to cytomegalovirus in an immunocompetent patientA Rigamonti
National Neurological Institute C Besta, Via Celoria 11, I 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:351-4. 2005Cytomegalovirus (CMV)-associated transverse myelitis is rare in immunocompetent patients. We report a 73-year-old man with no evidence of immune compromise, who developed acute transverse myelitis...
- 14-3-3 Protein in the cerebrospinal fluid of patients with acute transverse myelitis and multiple sclerosisJerome De Seze
J Neurol 249:626-7. 2002
- Diffusion tensor imaging in idiopathic acute transverse myelitisJoon Woo Lee
Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
AJR Am J Roentgenol 191:W52-7. 2008Our study was based on our hypotheses that in idiopathic acute transverse myelitis (ATM), fractional anisotropy (FA) values would be abnormal not only in the T2-hyperintense lesion but also in the surrounding normal-appearing spinal cord ..
- Transverse myelitis associated with chronic hepatitis CG Zandman-Goddard
Rheumatology Unit, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Clin Exp Rheumatol 21:111-3. 2003..An emergence of autoimmune phenomena associated with hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection has been reported. Transverse myelitis is an inflammatory disease of the spinal vasculature attributed to viral infections and to autoimmune ..
- Childhood acute transverse myelitis: clinical profile, outcome, and association with antiganglioside antibodiesVeena Kalra
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Child Neurol 24:466-71. 2009Prospectively, in 15 children the association of acute transverse myelitis with Campylobacter jejuni infection and antiganglioside antibodies was studied...
- Longitudinal myelitis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: clinical features and magnetic resonance imaging of six casesJ F Tellez-Zenteno
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Lupus 10:851-6. 2001..Acute transverse myelitis (ATM) is the most frequent form of SLE-related myelopathy...
- Transverse myelitis affecting more than 4 spinal segments associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: clinical, immunological, and radiological characteristics of 22 patientsGerard Espinosa
Department of Autoimmune Diseases, Institut Clinic de Medicina i Dermatologia, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Semin Arthritis Rheum 39:246-56. 2010To analyze the clinical and laboratory characteristics and outcomes of patients with transverse myelitis affecting more than 4 spinal segments secondary to systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- Systemic lupus erythematosus related transverse myelitis presenting longitudinal involvement of the spinal cordKato Yu ko Kimura
First Department of Internal Medicine, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo
Intern Med 41:156-60. 2002Lupus-related transverse myelitis is a rare but serious complication...
- Involvement of the entire spinal cord and medulla oblongata in acute catastrophic-onset transverse myelitis in SLEG Neumann-Andersen
Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital of Umea, Sweden
Clin Rheumatol 19:156-60. 2000A 30-year-old Caucasian male with systemic lupus erythematosus suffered acute catastrophic-onset transverse myelitis. Two years earlier aseptic meningitis, another rare CNS lupus manifestation, had been diagnosed...
- Idiopathic acute transverse myelitis: application of the recent diagnostic criteriaYasuo Iwasaki
Neurology 67:728; author reply 728. 2006
- Simultaneous transverse myelitis and acute motor axonal neuropathy in an adultS Saidha
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 79:1302-3. 2008
- Campylobacter jejuni-induced acute transverse myelitisI Baar
Department of Neurology, University Hospital of Antwerp, Edegem, Belgium
Spinal Cord 45:690-4. 2007..Case report...
- CNS aquaporin-4 autoimmunity in childrenA McKeon
Departments of Neurology and Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Neurology 71:93-100. 2008..Here we describe the neurologic, serologic, and radiographic findings associated with CNS AQP4 autoimmunity in childhood...
- [A case of Sjögren's syndrome with subacute transverse myelitis as the initial manifestation]Chieko Arai
Department of Internal Medicine, Kenwakai Hospital
Rinsho Shinkeigaku 42:613-8. 2002We report a case of subacute transverse myelitis associated with Sjögren's syndrome free of xerosis...
- [Varicella zoster virus infection after bone marrow transplant. Unusual presentation and importance of prevention]M LaDriere
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nancy
Presse Med 30:1151-4. 2001..Although infrequent, visceral involvement can be fatal. We report two cases of patients presenting severe VZV infection after bone marrow transplantation...
- Occurrence of CNS demyelinating disease in patients with myasthenia gravisKen Ikeda
Neurology 68:1326; author reply 1327. 2007
- Idiopathic inflammatory-demyelinating diseases of the central nervous systemA Rovira Cañellas
Magnetic Resonance Unit I D I, Department of Radiology, Vall d Hebron University Hospital, Pg Vall d Hebron 119 129, Barcelona 08035, Spain
Neuroradiology 49:393-409. 2007..acute disseminated encephalomyelitis; (2) monosymptomatic IIDDs, such as those involving the spinal cord (transverse myelitis), optic nerve (optic neuritis) or brainstem and cerebellum; and (3) IIDDs with a restricted topographical ..
- Transverse myelopathy: an initial presentation of acute leukemiaH Yavuz
Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, , 25/8 Konya, Turkey
Pediatr Neurol 24:382-4. 2001..Transverse myelopathy can be the initial presentation of acute lymphoblastic leukemia...
- Neuromyelitis optica-IgG in childhood inflammatory demyelinating CNS disordersB Banwell
Division of Pediatric Neurology and the Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Canada
Neurology 70:344-52. 2008..To determine seroprevalence of neuromyelitis optica (NMO)-IgG in childhood CNS inflammatory demyelinating disorders...
- [Acute myelitis and Lyme disease]F Blanc
Departement de Neurologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg
Rev Neurol (Paris) 163:1039-47. 2007..In the literature, simultaneous spinal MRI and cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) investigations are presented for only 8 cases. We describe here 3 cases of acute Lyme myelitis...
- Analysis of the full-length genome of hepatitis B virus in the serum and cerebrospinal fluid of a patient with acute hepatitis B and transverse myelitisJun Inoue
Division of Gastroenterology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai 980 8574, Japan
J Clin Virol 41:301-4. 2008..We describe a 55-year-old man who contracted acute hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and transverse myelitis. His neurological findings were gradually reduced along with the recovery from hepatitis...
- Idiopathic recurrent transverse myelitis with syringomyelia: a case reportOlcay Eser
Afyon Kocatepe University, Faculty of Medicine, Neurosurgery Department, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey
Turk Neurosurg 17:228-31. 2007Idiopathic transverse myelitis is a monophasic demyelinating disease of the central nervous system (CNS) and its recurrence is a rare entity...
- Motor dominant neuropathy in Sjögren's syndrome: report of two casesHitoshi Mochizuki
Third Department of Internal Medicine, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa, Saitama
Intern Med 41:142-6. 2002..These patients received i.v. immunoglobulin therapy. To our knowledge, this is the first report indicating that i.v. immunoglobulin has beneficial effects on motor dominant neuropathy in SS...
- The Case | Acute paraplegia with anuric ARF. Occlusive aortic thrombus with ischemia of spinal cord and kidneysK Sampathkumar
Department of Nephrology, Meenakshi Mission Hospital and Research Centre, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625107, India
Kidney Int 72:657-9. 2007
- Transverse myelitis in systemic lupus erythematosusYasuo Suzuki
Intern Med 41:327-8. 2002
- Transient myelopathy of the cervical posterior columns in a young man with recently diagnosed diabetes mellitusJ J Prick
Department of Neurology, Medisch Spectrum Twente, loc. Oldenzaal, PO Box 50000, 7500 KA, Enschede, The Netherlands
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 103:234-7. 2001....
- CNS Demyelinating Autoimmunity Targeting Water Channel ComplexesSEAN JOSEPH PITTOCK; Fiscal Year: 2013..It is characterized by recurrent episodes of optic neuritis and transverse myelitis, resulting in blindness and paraplegia in most patients, and it is frequently misdiagnosed as MS...
- Neuroimmune modulation across the BBB: Regulation of ILS trafficking by TNFWeihong Pan; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, acute disseminating encephalomyelopathy), tumor, a variety of neurodegenerative disorders (e.g...
- Advanced Quantitative MRI of the Cervical Spinal Cord in Demyelinating DiseaseJohn W Rose; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the spinal cord for demyelinating diseases including multiple sclerosis (MS) and acute partial transverse myelitis (ATM) with DTI will result in better understanding of the disease pathology, prognosis and treatment ..
- Depression and Cognitive Impairment in Transverse MyelitisADAM IAN KAPLIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..depression and cognitive impairment will be investigated in patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Transverse Myelitis (TM)...
- Interferon Gamma Polymorphisms and Gender Bias in MSBrian Weinshenker; Fiscal Year: 2004..If successful, this paradigm could be applied to a number of similar genetic association studies. ..
- Sjogren's model with anti-Ro/La and Salivary Pathology and DysfunctionR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2010..Improved understanding of the disease at a fundamental level is possible through study of animal models. Such understanding may lead to improved recognition and treatment. ..
- Genetics of Severe Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) defined by thrombocytopeniaR Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, Specific Aim 4 will assemble a new cohort of families multiplex for SLE so that linkages and associations as well as particular polvmorphisms can be prospectively confirmed. ..
- The X chromosome in systemic lupus erythematosusR Hal Scofield; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal will determine whether the presence of two X chromosomes is a risk factor for women and men with Klinefelter's syndrome (47,XXY). ..
- Stem Cell-Derived Motoneurons in the Adult Mammalian CNSDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies will define an important transplantation approach for motoneuron disease such as ALS and SMA and for spinal cord injury and other spinal disorders. ..
- ES Cell-Derived Motoneurons from SMA transgenic miceDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will identify critical molecular clues to motoneuron dysfunction in SMA and will identify potential strategies to halt or reverse this dysfunction. ..
- 2nd International Pathogenesis of Rare Neuroimmunologic DisordersDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2006..include the following: polymyositis, myasthenia gravis (MG),[unreadable] inflammatory polyneuropathies, transverse myelitis, HTLV-1 associated myelopathy, stiff person syndrome[unreadable] (SPS), neuromyelitis optica (NMO), optic ..
- Pathogenesis of Rare Neuroimmunologic DisordersDouglas Kerr; Fiscal Year: 2004..There are a variety of rare neuroimmunologic disorders: polymyositis, myasthenia gravis, CIDP, transverse myelitis, TSP/HAM, stiff person syndrome, neuromyelitis optica, optic neuritis, ADEM, PANDAS, Hashimoto's ..
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwDavid Rizzieri; Fiscal Year: 2004..These results will lead to future improvements in maximizing the anti-tumor effects of allogeneic therapy, hastening immunologic recovery, and minimizing the toxicity of this procedure. ..