subacute bacterial endocarditis
Summary: Infection of the endocardium caused by species of STREPTOCOCCUS. This condition does not produce metastatic foci and if untreated may take up to a year to be fatal.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications132 found, 100 shown here
- Dual ANCA positivity in subacute bacterial endocarditisAlexandra M Tiliakos
Department of Internal Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Rheumatol 14:38-40. 2008Nine cases of subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) associated with anti-PR3 ANCA have been described in the literature to date. We describe 2 cases of SBE associated with dual ANCA positivity (anti-PR3 and anti-MPO ANCA...
- [Subacute bacterial endocarditis due to Pasteurella pneumotropica. Case Report]Maria Dan
Disciplina de Microbiologie Medicala, Facultatea de Medicina, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 109:743-5. 2005..The patient was successfully treated with gentamicin and ceftriaxone and underwent mitral valve replacement...
- Henoch-Schonlein purpura secondary to subacute bacterial endocarditisNoreen A Galaria
Department of Dermatology, Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, New York, USA
Cutis 69:269-73. 2002..We report a case of HSP that occurred coincident with the onset of subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) in an otherwise healtny 41-year-old white woman...
- Embolic risk in subacute bacterial endocarditis: determinants and role of transesophageal echocardiographyGilbert Habib
Hopital Timone, Cardiologie B, Boulevard Jean Moulin, 13005 Marseille, France
Curr Cardiol Rep 5:129-36. 2003Embolic events are a frequent and life-threatening complication of subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE), and are associated with a high mortality and morbidity...
- Subacute bacterial endocarditis associated with upper endoscopyByoung Chul Cho
Department of Internal Medicine, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 134 Shinchon dong, Seodaemun gu, Seoul 120 752, Korea
Yonsei Med J 45:936-40. 2004..We report a case of native valve endocarditis due to Streptococcus intermedius in a patient with valvular heart disease as a consequence of routine upper endoscopy...
- Sweet's syndrome in a patient with enterococcal subacute bacterial endocarditisKaren P Gould
J Am Acad Dermatol 50:798-9. 2004
- Anti-MPO-ANCA-positive microscopic polyangiitis following subacute bacterial endocarditisB Hellmich
Universitätsklinik Bergmannsheil, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Germany
Clin Rheumatol 20:441-3. 2001....
- [A case of urgent aortic valve replacement for infective endocarditis in pregnancy]Yasuaki Takano
Department of Anesthesia, Saiseikai Suita Hospital, Osaka 564 0013
Masui 52:1086-8. 2003..If these drugs could have been avoided, the fetus may have stayed alive. However, considering the risk of teratogenesis due to drug administration and cardiopulmonary bypass, propriety of pregnancy prolongation is controversial...
- [Ocular manifestation of an infectious endocarditis]S Seles
Augenklinik, Universitatsklinikum Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:606-8. 2007..Infectious infiltrations of the retina and the vitreous in endogenous infections such as septicaemia are rare...
- Splenic rupture occurring as a complication of subacute bacterial endocarditisBrad Summers
Department of Internal Medicine, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL 36617, USA
N Z Med J 116:U606. 2003
- Subacute and acute infective endocarditisRobert A Fowler
Department of Medicine and Department of Critical Care Medicine, Sunnybrook and Women s College Health Sciences Centre, University of Toronto, 2075 Bayview Avenue, Room D478, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M5, Canada
Lancet 366:1964. 2005
- Replacement of a regurgitant pulmonary valve with a stentless bioprosthesisAyyaz A Ali
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Papworth Hospital, Papworth, Everard, United Kingdom
Ann Thorac Surg 78:1467-8. 2004..Pulmonary regurgitation is a rare lesion, but if it is encountered our case demonstrates that it can be successfully and easily treated with pulmonary valve replacement by using a stentless bioprosthesis...
- [Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae--rare etiology of persistent febrile syndrome]Mihaela Cătălina Luca
Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi, Facultatea de Medicina, Disciplina Boli Infecţioase
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 109:62-5. 2005..rhusiopathiae bacteremia with Ampicillin iv. therapy for 14 days...
- [Sepsis and blood culture tests--new concept for and diagnosis of sepsis]Yoshio Kobayashi
Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi 95:2225-31. 2006
- Gemella bergeriae endocarditis diagnosed by sequencing of rRNA genes in heart valve tissueSameer Elsayed
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Microbiol 42:4897-900. 2004..Diagnosis was confirmed by sequencing of 16S rRNA genes in heart valve tissue. This is the first report of Gemella endocarditis confirmed by molecular detection of bacterial genes in heart valve tissue...
- Thoughts on the diagnostic processCraig S Kitchens
Trans Am Clin Climatol Assoc 113:272-82. 2002
- [Various causes of fever of unknown origin]A C De laco
Département de médecine interne CHCVs, Hopital de Sion, Sion
Rev Med Suisse 4:2139-40, 2142-4. 2008..4 subgroups were determined: infectious fever, such as subacute bacterial endocarditis, tuberculosis or intra-abdominal abcess, inflammatory diseases such as temporal arteritis or adult ..
- Pattern of ventricular septal defects and associated complicationsUzma Kazmi
Department of Paediatric Cardiology, The Children s Hospital and Institute of Child Health, Lahore
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 19:342-5. 2009..To determine the frequency of various types of Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) in local population and their complications...
- Increased expression of VEGF in glomeruloid reactive angioendotheliomatosisSabine A Eming
Department of Dermatology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany
Dermatology 207:398-401. 2003..It is often associated with infections, such as subacute bacterial endocarditis, but has also been described as an early sign of a developing hematological malignancy...
- Evidence that ORF3 at the Streptococcus parasanguis fimA locus encodes a thiol-specific antioxidantGrace Spatafora
Department of Biology, Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT 05753, USA
Microbiology 148:755-62. 2002Streptococcus parasanguis is a primary colonizer of dental plaque and a major player in subacute bacterial endocarditis. In the present study, the authors report that an ORF (ORF3) located 77 bp downstream of the fimA operon on the S...
- Soma Weiss, Alfred S. Reinhart, and the care of the patientPeter V Tishler
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Channing Laboratory, Genetics Division, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Perspect Biol Med 53:75-86. 2010..Reinhart, who succumbed to subacute bacterial endocarditis in his final year at Harvard Medical School...
- Molecular mimicry: a true pathogenetic concept for T-cell-mediated autoimmune and reactive skin diseases?Mario Vaccaro
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:E3. 2005
- Neurological presentation of intravascular lymphoma: report of two cases and discussion of diagnostic challengesD A Lozsadi
Walton Ctr for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Lower Lane, Fazakerley, Liverpool, L9 7LJ, UK
Eur J Neurol 12:710-4. 2005..that IVL should be considered in the differential diagnosis of cerebral and systemic vasculitis and subacute bacterial endocarditis. Literature suggests IVL can also mimic Creutzfeld-Jakob disease and paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis.
- Subacute endocarditis caused by Gemella haemolysans and a review of the literatureRaymond Khan
Department of Medicine, New York Hospital of Queens, Flushing, New York, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 36:885-8. 2004..The patient was treated with ampicillin for 6 weeks with significant clinical improvement. This case highlights the fact that endocarditis prophylaxis should be considered in denture fixation for high risk patients...
- Native valve endocarditis due to Bartonella henselae in an immunocompetent manTatjana Lejko-Zupanc
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Center, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Wien Klin Wochenschr 120:246-9. 2008..Surgical treatment is usually necessary and was also successful in our patient. To our knowledge, this is the first case of bartonella endocarditis occurring in our geographic area...
- [Skin changes in rheumatic diseases]Ivan Dobric
Klinika za kozne i spolne bolesti Klinickoga bolnickog centra i Medicinskoga fakulteta Sveucilista u Zagrebu, Salata 4, 10000 Zagreb
Reumatizam 52:9-20. 2005..The third group: infections (rheumatic fever, diseminated gonococcal infection, subacute bacterial endocarditis, Lyme disesease). The fourth group: metabolic disorders (gout)...
- [Headaches can be life threatening, therefore: attend to alarm signs]Peter Stiefelhagen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:12-4. 2008
- Role of Bartonella henselae endocarditis in the nucleation of aortic valvular calcificationJohn J Ghidoni
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 77:704-6. 2004..henselae. Bacterial membranes contain calcium apatite crystals. Antigenic material was present in bacteria and calcified nodules. This case illustrates calcified protobacteria becoming incorporated into scar tissue during endocarditis...
- The Miami vices in the CCU. Part II. Cardiac manifestations of AIDSB K Valle
Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, FL
Heart Lung 16:584-9. 1987..A high index of suspicion and the echocardiogram will help in revealing the true incidence of cardiac involvement in AIDS...
- Subacute bacterial endocarditis presenting as left upper quadrant abdominal painYung Ta Kao
Division of Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine, Taipei Medical University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
J Chin Med Assoc 76:521-3. 2013..The diagnosis of subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) is suggested by a history of an indolent process characterized by fever, fatigue, anorexia, and ..
- Determination of the optimum incubation period of continuously monitored blood cultures from patients with suspected endocarditis or fungaemiaK Varettas
South Eastern Area Laboratory Services SEALS, Division of Microbiology, The St George Hospital, Kogarah, NSW, Australia
Pathology 34:167-9. 2002It is routine practice to prolong the incubation period of blood cultures from patients with suspected subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) or fungal infection...
- [Approaches to late prognosis in patients with subacute infectious endocarditis]T L Vinogradova
Ter Arkh 74:69-73. 2002..To ascertain late prognosis of subacute infectious endocarditis (IE), factors involved in the prognosis, formulate approaches to assessment of late prognosis...
- Streptococcus gordonii septic arthritis: two cases and review of literatureJean Cyr Yombi
Departement of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Cliniques Universitaires Saint Luc, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
BMC Infect Dis 12:215. 2012..group of oral bacteria and is among the bacteria most frequently identified as being primary agent of subacute bacterial endocarditis. To the best of our knowledge, Streptococcus gordonii has not yet been described as agent of septic ..
- Culture-negative subacute bacterial endocarditis masquerades as granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Wegener's granulomatosis) involving both the kidney and lungHui Peng
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, The Third Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat Sen University, 600 Tianhe Road, Guangzhou, 510630, People s Republic of China
BMC Nephrol 13:174. 2012b>Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) occasionally exhibits positive cytoplasmic anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic antibody (c-ANCA) of the anti-proteinase-3 (PR-3) type...
- The management of subacute bacterial endocarditis superimposed on rheumatic heart disease in the immediate pre-penicillin era: the case of Pasquale ImperatoPascal James Imperato
Downstate Medical Center, State University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Community Health 37:1301-60. 2012b>Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) was invariably a fatal disease in the pre-penicillin era. The availability of sulfonamide antibiotics beginning in the mid-1930s raised hopes that they would be effective in SBE...
- [Subacute infectious endocarditis due to the agent of cat scratch fever: Bartonella henselae]A Grand
Service de cardiologie, Centre Hospitalier de Valence, 26953 Valence
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 94:157-61. 2001..In Bartonella Henselae IE, valve replacement is the rule (13 out of 14 cases) and the prognosis is usually good. Sero-diagnosis of Bartonellosis should be part of the systematic investigation of all blood culture negative IE...
- Tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin-1β expression pathway induced by Streptococcus mutans in macrophage cell line RAW 264.7J S Kim
Department of Oral Microbiology, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Yangsan, South Korea
Mol Oral Microbiol 27:149-59. 2012..mutans, a major etiological agent of dental caries, frequently causes systemic disease, such as subacute bacterial endocarditis, if it enters the bloodstream...
- Late aortic dilatation and regurgitation after Ross operationMoon Young Kim
Ewha Woman s University School of Medicine, Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Korea
Malays J Pathol 32:129-35. 2010..had Ross operation in 1997 for a damaged bicuspid aortic valve and severe aortic regurgitation due to subacute bacterial endocarditis complicated by aortic root abscess...
- The pediatric cardiology pharmacopoeia: 2004 updateS Barnes
Department of Pediatrics and Anesthesiology, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 25:623-46. 2004..We also describe the difficult management of withdrawal as a result of use of sedatives and analgesics. The most recent recommendation for subacute bacterial endocarditis prophylactic antibiotic regimens is also described.
- Diffuse crescentic glomerulonephritis in bacterial endocarditisS Kannan
ICU, Children's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 16:423-8. 2001..Removal of vegetation or valve replacement may be necessary. Prognosis is generally good...
- Coil occlusion of a subclavian mycotic aneurysmStephan Kische
Department of Medicine, University Hospital Rostock, Rostock School of Medicine, Rostock, Germany
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 75:1116-20. 2010..Transcatheter closure with Inconel embolization coils is a cost-effective and safe therapeutic option in patients with mycotic aneurysm originating from the subclavian artery...
- Navel piercing as a cause for Streptococcus viridans endocarditis: case report, review of the literature and implications for antibiotic prophylaxisDaniel Barkan
Department of Internal Medicine, Hadassah Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Cardiology 108:159-60. 2007..We review other cases from the literature of piercing-associated endocarditis, and suggest that individuals at particularly high risk might be considered for antibiotic prophylaxis prior to such procedures...
- Streptococcal viridans subacute bacterial endocarditis associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies (ANCA)André de Corla-Souza
Infectious Disease Division and Department of Medicine, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 32:140-3. 2003We report an illustrative case of a 60-year-old man with Streptococcus viridans subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) and positive antineutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibodies (c-ANCA)...
- [Streptococcal endocarditis of Mahler and Keynes: from malignancy to healing]Julio Montes Santiago
Servicio de Medicina Interna Hospital Meixoeiro Vigo Pontevedra España
Med Clin (Barc) 121:184-5. 2003
- Expanding the differential diagnosis of hemoptysis: mycotic aortic aneurysmsJames N Kirkpatrick
Section of Cardiology, University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rev Cardiovasc Med 4:180-3. 2003..of suspicion is warranted in any patient presenting with hemoptysis and a recent past history of subacute bacterial endocarditis, intravascular interventions, known aortic aneurysm, and/or immunocompromised state...
- Our medical past. Subacute bacterial endocarditis observed: the illness of Alfred S. ReinhartKenneth M Flegel
Department of Medicine, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
CMAJ 167:1379-83. 2002
- [35-year-old patient with oligoarthritis, bacteremia and aortic insufficiency]M G Braun
Seehospital Sahlenburg, Abteilung Innere Medizin Rheumatologie, Nordheimstrasse, 27455 Cuxhaven
Internist (Berl) 43:883-6. 2002
- Viridans streptococcal (Streptococcus intermedius) mitral valve subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) in a patient with mitral valve prolapse after a dental procedure: the importance of antibiotic prophylaxisBurke A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 39:64-72. 2010b>Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) is an infection of the heart involving damaged valves or endothelium. The most common organisms causing SBE are the viridans streptococci...
- Congenital coronary arteriovenous fistula. Report of 13 patients, review of the literature and delineation of managementR R Liberthson
Circulation 59:849-54. 1979..preoperative symptoms or CAVF-related complications, including congestive heart failure (CHF) in 6%, subacute bacterial endocarditis in 3% and death in one patient...
- [Subacute endocarditis is clinically difficult to diagnose. Fever and fatigue as initial symptoms]Peter Stiefelhagen
MMW Fortschr Med 150:15. 2008
- Infective endocarditis associated with a scorpion stingGrayson H Wheatley
Department of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 8879, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 80:1489-90. 2005..Both patients completed a 6-week postoperative course of antibiotic therapy and are without recurrent infection...
- Rheumatic and nonrheumatic valvular heart disease: epidemiology, management, and prevention in AfricaMohammed Rafique Essop
Division of Cardiology, Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Circulation 112:3584-91. 2005..Acute rheumatic fever and chronic rheumatic valvular disease in their most virulent form are still commonly encountered and impose a huge burden on limited healthcare resources...
- Patent ductus arteriosusMehra Anilkumar
Department of Cardiology, LAC USC Medical Center, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 91011, USA
Cardiol Clin 31:417-30. 2013..The percutaneous approach is safe and effective in more than 98% of patients. Subacute bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis is not indicated routinely except for 6 months following the closure percutaneously or ..
- [Subacute endocarditis due to Actinobacillus]D Tena
An Med Interna 22:505-7. 2005
- Three cases of PR3-ANCA positive subacute endocarditis caused by attenuated bacteria (Propionibacterium, Gemella, and Bartonella) complicated with kidney injuryKenji Satake
Division of Nephrology, Department of Internal Medicine, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine, Hongo 2 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8421, Japan
Mod Rheumatol 21:536-41. 2011b>Subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) associated with antiproteinase-3 antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (PR3-ANCA) has previously been reported in 10 cases of Streptococcus viridans and in 1 case of Escherichia faecalis infection...
- Epidemiological trends of infective endocarditis: a population-based study in Olmsted County, MinnesotaDaniel D Correa de Sa
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 85:422-6. 2010..To provide a contemporary profile of epidemiological trends of infective endocarditis (IE) in Olmsted County, Minnesota...
- A subacute bacterial endocarditis in a patient with aortic prosthetic valve due to Listeria monocytogenes presenting with perivalvular leakApostolos Karavidas
Int J Cardiol 118:e106-7. 2007
- Percutaneous closure of patent foramen ovale: a case series and literature reviewRavi K Mareedu
Department of Internal Medicine, Marshfield Clinic, 1000 North Oak Avenue, Marshfield, Wisconsin 54449, USA
Clin Med Res 5:218-26. 2007..All patients received clopidogrel for a period of 3 months, and aspirin and subacute bacterial endocarditis prophylaxis for 6 months. Mean age of the study population was 54 years...
- Decellularization reduces calcification while improving both durability and 1-year functional results of pulmonary homograft valves in juvenile sheepRichard A Hopkins
Cardiac Surgery Research Laboratories, The Children s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137:907-13, 913e1-4. 2009....
- [Chronic cough as presentation of subacute bacterial endocarditis]R Golpe Gomez
An Med Interna 21:149-50. 2004
- Subacute endocarditis due to Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiaeT Spiritus
Laboratorium microbiologie Heilig Hartziekenhuis Roeselare Menen, Wilgenstraat 2, 8800 Roeselare, Belgie
Acta Clin Belg 58:360-1. 2003..Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae was cultured and echocardiography showed a vegetation on the mitral valve. Appropriate antibiotic therapy and surgical treatment led to a good outcome of the infection...
- Cerebral microhemorrhages in a patient with mycotic aneurysm: relevance of T2-GRE imaging in SBESuresh Subramaniam
Hotckiss Brain Institute, University of Calgary, 1403, 29th Street NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N2T9
Neurology 67:1697. 2006
- Infectious aneurysm clipping by an MRI/MRA wand-guided protocol. A case report and technical noteA Harris
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pittsburgh, Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2582, USA
Pediatr Neurosurg 35:90-3. 2001Infectious aneurysms are potentially deadly sequelae of multiple etiologies, typically associated with subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE)...
- Fistulous connection between internal mammary graft and pulmonary vasculature after coronary artery bypass grafting: a rare cause of continuous murmurUmit Guray
Int J Cardiol 96:489-92. 2004..Otherwise, a conservative approach with instruction of the patient for prophylactic precautions of subacute bacterial endocarditis may be recommended for asymptomatic patients.
- Retinal hemorrhages from septic emboli in a patient with a ventricular false chordaD J Weissgold
Retina Service, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston 02114 3096, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 122:117-9. 1996..To demonstrate ophthalmic findings of bacterial endocarditis in a patient with a cardiac structural anomaly and to illustrate the potential usefulness of transesophageal echocardiography in the examination of such patients...
- Coronary artery fistulas in neonates, infants, and children: clinical findings and outcomeK S Hsieh
Department of Pediatrics, Veterans General Hospital Kaohsiung, 386 Ta Chung 1st Rd, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Pediatr Cardiol 23:415-9. 2002..One patient presented with subacute bacterial endocarditis at 12 years of age requiring surgical intervention...
- [Lobar cerebral hemorrhage due to infectious endocarditis with aortic root abscess due to Streptococcus viridans]J M Villasenín Arnoso
Neurologia 22:488-9. 2007
- Infective endocarditis by Bartonella quintana masquerading as antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated small vessel vasculitisHiroaki Sugiyama
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Tokyo Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Cardiology 114:208-11. 2009..However, a variety of infections can result in a false-positive ANCA test, and especially subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) with the presence of ANCAs occasionally mimics the clinical manifestations of an ANCA-..
- Cecocentral scotoma as the initial manifestation of subacute bacterial endocarditisDanielle Savitsky Strauss
New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Clin Ophthalmol 5:287-90. 2011We report a case of a 67-year-old male who presented with a cecocentral scotoma caused by a septic embolus from subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE).
- [Endocarditis due to Bartonella spp. Three new clinical cases and Spanish literature review]Jose Antonio Oteo
Area de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Complejo Hospitalario San Millán San Pedro de La Rioja, Hospital de La Rioja, Logrono, Espana
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 24:297-301. 2006..Infections by Bartonella spp. include a wide spectrum of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases, such as culture-negative endocarditis...
- Mycotic aneurysm of the ulnar arteryHamid Shamsolkottabi
Delasa Research Center, Sina Hospital, Esfahan, Iran
Am Heart Hosp J 9:E60-2. 2011Mycotic aneurysm of the ulnar artery is extremely rare. We report a case of mycotic aneurysm of the ulnar artery due to subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) presenting with a painful pulsatile mass in hypotenar region.
- Extracellular arginine aminopeptidase from Streptococcus gordonii FSS2J M Goldstein
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, USA
Infect Immun 70:836-43. 2002Streptococcus gordonii is a primary etiological agent in the development of subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE), producing thrombus formation and tissue damage on the surfaces of heart valves...
- Fever of unknown origin due to preleukemia/myelodysplastic syndrome: the diagnostic importance of monocytosis with elevated serum ferritin levelsBurke A Cunha
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 35:277-82. 2006..Among the infectious causes of FUO in the elderly are subacute bacterial endocarditis, intra-abdominal abscesses, and extrapulmonary tuberculosis...
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) cerebritis versus Listeria monocytogenes meningoencephalitis in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus on chronic corticosteroid therapy: the diagnostic importance of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of lactic acid levelsLucas M McCaffrey
Infectious Disease Division, Winthrop University Hospital, Mineola, New York 11501, USA
Heart Lung 41:394-7. 2012..Gram-positive intracellular bacillus that causes enteritis, meningitis, meningoencephalitis, or subacute bacterial endocarditis. Patients with impaired T-lymphocyte function/cell-mediated immunity are predisposed to intracellular ..
- Rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis associated with PR3-ANCA positive subacute bacterial endocarditisHirotaka Fukasawa
Renal Division, Department of Internal Medicine, Iwata City Hospital, Japan
Intern Med 51:2587-90. 2012..the case of an elderly man with rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis (RPGN) associated with subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) due to Enterococcus faecalis infection...
- What's new in outpatient cardiologySamuel J Lacina
DeVos Children s Hospital, Michigan 49503, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 21:605-10. 2009..Nearing the end of the first decade of this new century, the challenges and changes in the field of outpatient pediatric cardiology continue to accelerate...
- Streptococcus suis infection: a prospective study in northern ThailandA Fongcom
Department of Medicine, Lamphun Provincial Hospital, Lamphun Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 40:511-7. 2009..2%), septicemia (27.9%), toxic shock syndrome (TSS) (23.3%), subacute bacterial endocarditis(SBE) (9.3%) and spondylitis (2.3%). The patients with TSS had a lower mean age than those without TSS...
- Pattern recognitionJennifer Dixon
The Coach House, NW3 2UT, London, UK
Lancet 360:1418. 2002
- [Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae endocarditis, a new case report]R Lopez Rodriguez
An Med Interna 20:160-1. 2003
- Gallbladder infarction complicating infective endocarditisChadi Dib
Department of Medicine, and the Division of Infectious Diseases, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Med Sci 337:148-9. 2009..In these cases, appropriate antibiotic therapy should be given before and after cholecystectomy. Gallbladder resection should be performed before valve replacement to decrease the potential seeding of a prosthetic valve...
- Appendectomy for an adult with cyanotic congenital heart diseaseR Chatzidaki
Department of Anesthesia, AHEPA University Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece
Minerva Anestesiol 75:225-8. 2009..We present here a rare case of an acute appendectomy with successful outcome in an adult with pulmonary atresia and ventricular septal defect...
- The role of endothelial cell biology in endocarditisE Chorianopoulos
Department of Cardiology, Angiology and Pulmology, Internal Medicine III, Im Neuenheimer Feld 410, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cell Tissue Res 335:153-63. 2009..This review will thus give insights into current knowledge of the pathogenesis of endocarditis with a focus on the role of the endothelium...
- [Infectious endocarditis: morbi-mortality in Chile. Results of the National Cooperative Study of Infective Endocarditis (1998-2002)]Miguel Oyonarte
Centro Cardiovascular, Hospital Clinico Universidad de Chile, Santos Dumont 999, Independencia, Santiago
Rev Med Chil 131:237-50. 2003..Infective endocarditis is a severe condition, with a mortality that fluctuates between 16 and 25% in the Metropolitan area of Chile...
- Subacute bacterial endocarditis in a footballer--not a sports injuryKieran E Fallon
Australian Institute of Sport, P O Box 176, Belconnen, Australian Capital Territory 2616, Australia
Clin J Sport Med 12:41-2. 2002
- Identification and characterization of hsa, the gene encoding the sialic acid-binding adhesin of Streptococcus gordonii DL1Yukihiro Takahashi
Department of Microbiology, The Nippon Dental University School of Dentistry at Tokyo, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 102 8159, Japan
Infect Immun 70:1209-18. 2002Oral colonization by Streptococcus gordonii, an important cause of subacute bacterial endocarditis, involves bacterial recognition of sialic acid-containing host receptors...
- Purification of serotype I antigen from nutritionally variant streptococciM George
Wake Forest University Medical Center, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27103
Infect Immun 56:1222-31. 1988..group of bacteria first recognized in the early 1960s in the blood cultures of patients with subacute bacterial endocarditis. Since that time, the NVS have been implicated in 5 to 6% of all cases of human bacterial ..
- Pneumococcal endocarditis of subacute evolutionL Uemura
, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Londrina, PR, Brazil
Arq Bras Cardiol 76:319-22. 2001..We report the case of a 58-year-old male with subacute bacterial endocarditis due to Streptococcus pneumoniae...
- [Surgical treatment of infective endocarditis: the Essen experiences]U Herold
Klinik fur Thorax und Kardiovaskulare Chirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Essen
Herz 26:409-17. 2001..If the infection cannot be controlled or the disease progresses irreversible destruction of cardiac structures results...
- Spinal fusion for scoliosis in Rett syndrome with an emphasis on early postoperative complicationsPeter G Gabos
Division of Spine and Scoliosis Surgery, Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE 19899, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:E90-4. 2012..Retrospective case-control study...
- The underlying causes of chordae tendinae rupture: a systematic reviewUri Gabbay
Epidemiology Section, School of Public Health, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel
Int J Cardiol 143:113-8. 2010..The underlying causes of chordae tendinae rupture (CTR) and their frequencies vary. Different publications reached conflicting conclusions due to diverse definitions, different detection measures, and morbidity trends over time...
- Multiphase multidetector CT in the diagnosis of haemobilia: a potentially catastrophic ruptured hepatic artery aneurysm complicating the treatment of a patient with locally advanced rectal cancerA M Mortimer
Severn School of Radiology, Great Western Hospital, Swindon, UK
Br J Radiol 84:e95-8. 2011..rare complication of a hepatic artery aneurysm following the development and successful treatment of subacute bacterial endocarditis during a radical downstaging chemoradiotherapy regime for locally advanced rectal cancer...
- Cerebral mycotic aneurysm in a child with Down's syndrome: a unique associationK A Diab
Department of Pediatrics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
J Child Neurol 16:868-70. 2001..We report a case of mycotic aneurysm of the middle cerebral artery complicating bacterial endocarditis in a child with Down's syndrome. The patient was successfully treated medically without the need for surgical intervention...
- Dysregulation of monocyte oxidative burst in streptococcal endocarditisE Presterl
Institute of Hygiene, Department of Clinical Microbiology, University of Vienna, Allgemeines Krankenhaus 5P, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Clin Invest 31:902-6. 2001..We hypothesized that the oxidative burst of phagocytes induced by the infecting organism is defective in patients with streptococcal endocarditis...
- Subacute bacterial endocarditis: making the diagnosisKristen Luttenberger
Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, NJ, USA
Nurse Pract 36:31-8. 2011..While some patients will develop symptoms acutely over days, it may take weeks or months for symptoms to develop as in the case of subacute bacterial endocarditis.
- Streptococcus sanguinis brain abscess as complication of subclinical endocarditis: emphasizing the importance of prompt diagnosisHayah Kassis
Department of Internal Medicine, Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and Pharmacy, Rootstown, OH, USA
South Med J 103:559-62. 2010..This demonstrates the importance of prompt diagnosis and initiation of antimicrobial therapy given the potential for long-term sequelae such as focal deficits and seizures...
- 3H-spiramycin penetration into fibrin vegetations in an experimental model of streptococcal endocarditisA C Cremieux
Unité 13 INSERM, Hopital Claude Bernard, Paris, France
J Antimicrob Chemother 22:127-33. 1988..On the other hand, there were considerable differences in antibiotic concentration among different vegetations in a single animal...
- Prolonged infections associated with antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies specific to proteinase 3 and myeloperoxidase: diagnostic and therapeutic challengeBranka Bonaci-Nikolic
Institute of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Belgrade, Serbia
Clin Rheumatol 29:893-904. 2010..Seven of 17 patients had subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE), while six of 17 patients had various autoimmune manifestations of chronic hepatitis C virus (..
- Infective endocarditis--a forgotten cause for heart insufficiency in elderly. Case reportS Ardeleanu
Universitatea de Medicină si Farmacie Gr T Popa Iaşi, Facultatea de Medicina, Clinica IV Medicală, Spitalul Clinic Dr C I Parhon Iaşi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 113:762-5. 2009....
- Streptococcus sanguis secretes CD14-binding proteins that stimulate cytokine synthesis: a clue to the pathogenesis of infective (bacterial) endocarditis?Julia Banks
Cellular Microbiology Research Group, Eastman Dental Institute, University College London, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London, Hertfordshire, WC1X 8LD, U K
Microb Pathog 32:105-16. 2002..In addition, blocking of CD14 may have some therapeutic benefit...
- Mitral valve replacement: a case reportDerek Reckard
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Nurse Anesthesia Program, Pennsylvania, USA
AANA J 76:125-9. 2008..administered according to American Heart Association guidelines for prophylactic management against subacute bacterial endocarditis. Milrinone and epinephrine were required for inotropic support until the left ventricle recovered ..
- [Endocarditis caused by Coxilla burnetii]Sajma Dautović-Krkić
Klinika za infektivne bolesti, Klinicki centar Univerziteta Sarajevo
Med Arh 60:266-8. 2006..Endocarditic was diagnosed by echosonografy. The patient is controlled by infectologist, cardiologist by cardio-surgeon, but since disease is in progress and operation treatment will be probably necessary...
- MICROBIAL GENOME PROJECT STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANSJOSEPH FERRETTI; Fiscal Year: 2000..Additionally, S. mutans is occasionally associated with nonoral infections, principally subacute bacterial endocarditis. Considerable research effort and National Institute of Dental Research financial support has been ..
- PLATELET STREPTOCOCCAL INTERACTIONS IN ENDOCARDITISMARK HERZBERG; Fiscal Year: 1992..v) we will test in a rabbit model the hypothesis that the platelet contribution to vegetations in subacute bacterial endocarditis (SBE) is due to active thrombotic mechanisms triggered by S. Sanguis...
- Regulation of Streptococcus mutans Virulence by covR/SGrace Spatafora; Fiscal Year: 2003..Taken collectively, these studies will elucidate S. mutans mechanism(s) of virulence gene control, and so enable prevention and/or intervention in the pathogenic process that leads to the development of Dental caries. ..