Genomes and Genes
bacterial eye infections
Summary: Infections in the inner or external eye caused by microorganisms belonging to several families of bacteria. Some of the more common genera found are Haemophilus, Neisseria, Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Chlamydia.
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- Prophylactic intracameral cefuroxime. Efficacy in preventing endophthalmitis after cataract surgeryPer G Montan
Department of Ophthalmology, St Eriks Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Cataract Refract Surg 28:977-81. 2002..To evaluate the efficacy of prophylactic intracameral cefuroxime in preventing endophthalmitis in cataract surgery...
- Gemella haemolysans keratitis and consecutive endophthalmitisDavid Ritterband
Department of Ophthalmology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York 10003, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 133:268-9. 2002..To report a case of Gemella hemolysans keratitis with consecutive endophthalmitis...
- Three cases of post-traumatic endophthalmitis caused by unusual bacteriaRohan W Essex
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 32:445-7. 2004..The available literature regarding the individual cases is summarized and a brief discussion of post-traumatic endophthalmitis is presented, with reference to a recently published large series at the authors' institution...
- ESCRS study of prophylaxis of postoperative endophthalmitis after cataract surgery: Preliminary report of principal results from a European multicenter studyPeter Barry
European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Dublin, Ireland
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:407-10. 2006..To report results in the European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) multicenter study of the prophylaxis of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery...
- Bacterial contamination in the anterior chamber after povidone-iodine application and the effect of the lens implantation deviceMária Bausz
Department of Ophthalmology, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1691-5. 2006..To assess the incidence of anterior chamber bacterial contamination during cataract surgery, and compare results of injector implantation and forceps implantation of foldable intraocular lenses (IOLs)...
- Infectious keratitis manifesting as a white plaque on the corneaBeom Jin Cho
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, University of Ulsan, Asan Medical Center, 388 1, Poongnap dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul 138 040, South Korea
Arch Ophthalmol 120:1091-3. 2002
- Visual outcome and prognostic factors after vitrectomy for posterior segment foreign bodiesA M El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Eur J Ophthalmol 10:304-11. 2000..To identify the prognostic factors that predict final visual outcome in eyes with posterior segment intraocular foreign body (IOFB) injuries managed by primary pars plana vitrectomy...
- The effect of intraoperative antibiotics in irrigating solutions on aqueous humor contamination and endophthalmitis after phacoemulsification surgeryG Sobaci
Department of Ophthalmology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy and Medical School Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Ophthalmol 13:773-8. 2003..To determine the efficacy of intraoperative antibiotic use in irrigating solutions on aqueous humor contamination during phacoemulsification surgery and to evaluate the corresponding risk of postoperative endophthalmitis...
- Postoperative Corynebacterium macginleyi endophthalmitisConsuelo Ferrer
Departamento de Biologia Molecular, VISSUM, Instituto Oftalmologico de Alicante, Alicante, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2441-4. 2004..The patient was successfully treated with vancomycin. Polymerase chain reaction and subsequent DNA-typing were useful in detecting the microorganisms that caused the chronic endophthalmitis...
- Intracameral cefazolin as prophylaxis against endophthalmitis in cataract surgeryPedro Romero
Servicio de Oftalmologia, Hospital Universitario Sant Joan de Reus, Departamento de Medicina y Cirugia, Universidad Rovira y Virgili, Reus, Spain
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:438-41. 2006..To evaluate the efficacy of prophylactic intracameral cefazolin in preventing endophthalmitis in cataract surgery...
- Endophthalmitis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosaCharles W G Eifrig
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Ophthalmology 110:1714-7. 2003..To investigate the clinical settings and treatment outcomes for endophthalmitis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa...
- Clear corneal wound infection after phacoemulsificationC B Cosar
Cornea Service, Wills Eye Hospital, 900 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5598, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 119:1755-9. 2001..Infections are caused by gram-positive organisms sensitive to bacitracin and the combination of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole but often resistant to aminoglycosides and/or fluoroquinolones...
- The epidemiology of acute endophthalmitis after cataract surgery in an Asian populationTien Yin Wong
Singapore National Eye Center and Singapore Eye Research Institute, 11 Third Hospital Avenue, Singapore 168751, Republic of Singapore
Ophthalmology 111:699-705. 2004..To describe the incidence, risk factors, and clinical outcome of acute endophthalmitis after cataract extraction in a multiethnic Asian population...
- Acute syphilitic posterior placoid chorioretinitis after an intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injectionNazmiye Erol
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 84:435. 2006
- Corticosteroid-induced modulation of acute syphilitic posterior placoid chorioretinitisMaryam Zamani
Department of Ophthalmology, George Washington University Hospital, M Z, Washington, DC, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 135:891-4. 2003..To report a case of corticosteroid-induced modulation of acute syphilitic posterior placoid chorioretinitis...
- Prophylaxis of endophthalmitis with topical povidone-iodineM G Speaker
Department of Ophthalmology, New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York 10003
Ophthalmology 98:1769-75. 1991..24%). Use of topical povidone-iodine in over 3000 cases was not associated with any adverse reactions. In a majority of the observed cases of endophthalmitis, some form of intraoperative communication with the vitreous cavity existed...
- Cohort study of 27 cases of endophthalmitis at a single institutionTrevin Wallin
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Utah, John A Moran Eye Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:735-41. 2005..To identify potential risk factors associated with post-cataract surgery bacterial endophthalmitis...
- Postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Sphingomonas paucimobilisWendy E Adams
Ophthalmology Department, Sunderland Eye Infirmary, Sunderland, United Kingdom
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1238-40. 2006..We also describe an interaction between this organism and a co-infective organism that may account for the unusual clinical course...
- Bacterial endophthalmitis prophylaxis for cataract surgery: an evidence-based updateThomas A Ciulla
Retina Service, Department of Ophthalmology, Indiana University School of Medicine, 702 Rotary Circle, Indianapolis, IN 46260, USA
Ophthalmology 109:13-24. 2002..To assess commonly used cataract surgery bacterial endophthalmitis prophylaxis techniques based on a systematic literature review and evidence rating...
- Syphilitic uveitis in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virusThi Ha Chau Tran
Service d Ophtalmologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 243:863-9. 2005..This work investigates the incidence and clinical features of syphilitic uveitis in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)...
- Polymerase chain reaction detection of Neisseria meningitidis in the intraocular fluid of a patient with endogenous endophthalmitis but without associated meningitisFrank T Kerkhoff
Department of Ophthalmology, Maxima Medical Center, Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Ophthalmology 110:2134-6. 2003..To report a patient with Neisseria meningitidis endophthalmitis without associated meningitis with full visual recovery, with early detection of the microorganism using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analysis...
- Postoperative endophthalmitis caused by sequestered Acinetobacter calcoaceticusL Gopal
Vitreoretinal Services, Sankara Nethralaya, Vision Research Foundation, Chennai, India
Am J Ophthalmol 129:388-90. 2000..To describe postoperative endophthalmitis caused by sequestered Acinetobacter calcoaceticus...
- The effect of topical povidone-iodine, intraocular vancomycin, or both on aqueous humor cultures at the time of cataract surgeryA Mendivil Soto
Department of Ophthalmology, Ramon y Cajal Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Am J Ophthalmol 131:293-300. 2001....
- Posterior segment manifestations of Rickettsia conorii infectionMoncef Khairallah
Department of Ophthalmology, Fattouma Bourguiba University Hospital, 5019 Monastir, Tunisia
Ophthalmology 111:529-34. 2004..To characterize and analyze the posterior segment manifestations of Mediterranean spotted fever (MSF), an infectious disease caused by Rickettsia conorii...
- Is there a relationship between clear corneal cataract incisions and endophthalmitis?Samuel Masket
J Cataract Refract Surg 31:643-5. 2005
- Case-control study of endophthalmitis after cataract surgery comparing scleral tunnel and clear corneal woundsBlake A Cooper
Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 136:300-5. 2003..To study the possible association between clear corneal incision with or without placement of a suture during cataract extraction and postoperative endophthalmitis...
- Orbital abscess following subtenon triamcinolone injectionChristopher J Engelman
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, 751 S Bascom Avenue, San Jose, CA 95128, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 122:654-5. 2004
- The challenge of determining aqueous contamination rate in anterior segment intraocular surgeryChristopher N Ta
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94304, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 137:662-7. 2004..3% ofloxacin reduces this contamination rate compared with a 1-hour application...
- Propionibacterium acnes endophthalmitis diagnosed by microdissection and PCRR R Buggage
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1190-1. 2003
- Gemella haemolysans infectious crystalline keratopathyMohammed K Elmallah
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Illinois Medical Center, Chicago Eye and Ear Infirmary, Chicago, IL, USA
Cornea 25:1245-7. 2006..To report a case of infectious crystalline keratopathy caused by Gemella haemolysans...
- Management of endophthalmitis with retained intraocular foreign bodyF A Knox
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Eye (Lond) 18:179-82. 2004..To assess the impact of primary injection of intravitreal antibiotics and delayed pars plana vitrectomy with removal of intraocular foreign body (IOFB) in patients with clinical features of bacterial endophthalmitis and retained IOFB...
- Ocular manifestations in the acute phase of leptospirosisM G Martins
Department of Ophthalmology, Paulista School of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 6:75-9. 1998..To study the ocular manifestations during the acute phase of leptospirosis and their incidence in hospitalized patients due to systemic complications, and to verify the importance of routine ophthalmologic care in these cases...
- Gemella haemolysans acute postoperative endophthalmitisS V Raman
Br J Ophthalmol 87:1192-3. 2003
- The efficacy of piperacillin/tazobactam in experimental Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis: a histopathological and microbiological evaluationAbdullah Ozkiris
Department of Ophthalmology, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Curr Eye Res 30:13-9. 2005..To investigate the efficacy of intravitreal piperacillin/tazobactam (250 microg/0.1 ml) in the treatment of experimental Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis in rabbits...
- Bacterial endophthalmitis: epidemiology, therapeutics, and bacterium-host interactionsMichelle C Callegan
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 15:111-24. 2002....
- Clinical aspects of ocular leptospirosis in New Caledonia (South Pacific)E Mancel
Department of Ophthalmology, Gaston Bourret Hospital, Noumea, New Caledonia
Aust N Z J Ophthalmol 27:380-6. 1999..To investigate the role of pathogenic leptospires as an aetiological agent of ocular diseases, we report the results of a 5-year survey in New Caledonia...
- Infectious crystalline keratopathy caused by Gemella haemolysansAnusha Kailasanathan
Southampton University Hospitals Trust, Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Cornea 26:643-4. 2007..To report a novel case of infectious crystalline keratopathy after penetrating keratoplasty caused by Gemella haemolysans...
- Orbital cellulitis following sub-Tenon's anaesthesiaA H Dahlmann
Eye (Lond) 16:200-1. 2002
- Postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Bacillus cereus and Chlamydia trachomatisUgur E Altiparmak
Department of Ophthalmology, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, and Department of Microbiology, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
J Cataract Refract Surg 33:1284-7. 2007..To describe the clinical manifestations and outcomes in 4 patients with endophthalmitis caused by Bacillus cereus and Chlamydia trachomatis...
- Failure of systemic antibiotic in preventing sequential endogenous endophthalmitis of a bronchiectasis patientWai Man Chan
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
Am J Ophthalmol 139:549-50. 2005..To report a rare presentation of bilateral, sequential Pseudomonas aeruginosa endogenous endophthalmitis in a woman with bronchiectasis...
- Risk factors for post-traumatic endophthalmitis in patients with positive intraocular culturesA Gupta
Department of Ophthalmology and Preventive and Social Medicine, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 605 006, India
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:642-7. 2007..To determine the risk factors for post-traumatic endophthalmitis in patients with positive intraocular culture...
- Bacterial keratitis after nonpenetrating glaucoma surgeryEfstratios Mendrinos
Department of Ophthalmology, Geneva University Hospitals, 22 rue Alcide Jentzer, 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Cataract Refract Surg 34:707-9. 2008..Bacterial keratitis may occur after nonpenetrating glaucoma surgery and should be included in the list of early postoperative complications...
- Spectrum of eye disease caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusJulie Freidlin
F I Proctor Foundation, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 144:313-5. 2007..To compare the clinical features and antibiotic susceptibility of ocular methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA)...
- Toward improving therapeutic regimens for Bacillus endophthalmitisBrandt J Wiskur
Oklahoma Center for Neuroscience, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1480-7. 2008..The authors analyzed the effectiveness of early treatment with vancomycin or gatifloxacin, with or without dexamethasone, for experimental B. cereus endophthalmitis...
- Ocular infection secondary to gemellaPedram Hamrah
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Louisville, 301 E Muhammad Ali Boulevard, Louisville, Kentucky, KY 40202, USA
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 244:891-2. 2006..To report four cases of ocular infection caused by Gemella species...
- Endogenous Pseudomonas endophthalmitis in an immunocompetent patientD Diaz-Valle
Department of Ophthalmology, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Ophthalmol 17:461-3. 2007..To report an unusual case of community-acquired Pseudomonas aeruginosa pneumonia in an immunocompetent host complicated by orbital cellulitis, panophthalmitis, and subcutaneous nodules...
- Incidence of acute onset endophthalmitis following intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) injectionJohn O Mason
Retina Consultants of Alabama, Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama 35233, USA
Retina 28:564-7. 2008..To report the incidence of acute endophthalmitis as a complication of intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) (IVB) injection in a tertiary vitreoretinal group practice...
- Early bacterial keratitis after laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomyOlivier Laplace
Quinze Vingts National Center of Ophthalmology, Paris, France
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:2638-40. 2004..Although bacterial keratitis occurs rarely after refractive surgery, patients should be informed of the potential risk for visual loss caused by this infection...
- Staphylococcus epidermidis endophthalmitis following strabismus surgeryR Christopher Walton
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Memphis 38163, USA
J AAPOS 8:592-3. 2004..We describe a case of Staphylococcus epidermidis endophthalmitis in an adult following strabismus surgery treated successfully with intravitreal antibiotics and corticosteroids...
- Endophthalmitis after pars plana vitrectomy: Incidence, causative organisms, and visual acuity outcomesCharles W G Eifrig
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 138:799-802. 2004..To investigate the incidence, causative organisms, and visual acuity outcomes associated with endophthalmitis after pars plana vitrectomy...
- Acinetobacter corneal graft ulcer and endophthalmitis: report of two casesJaime Levy
Department of Ophthalmology, Soroka University Medical Center, Beer Sheva, Israel
Can J Ophthalmol 40:79-82. 2005
- Enterobacter endophthalmitis: treatment with intravitreal tazobactam - piperacillinTrehan Hemant Singh
Indian J Ophthalmol 55:482-3. 2007
- Mycobacterium haemophilum: a rare cause of endophthalmitisDimple Modi
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Illinois at Chicago, UIC Eye Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Retina 27:1148-51. 2007..Resolution of systemic infection occurred with the addition of granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor. This is the first reported case of M. haemophilum endophthalmitis...
- Bacterial endophthalmitis after triamcinolone acetonide-assisted pars plana vitrectomyYoshinori Mitamura
Jpn J Ophthalmol 49:538-9. 2005
- Intravitreal dexamethasone as adjuvant in the treatment of postoperative endophthalmitis: a prospective randomized trialIvan M Gan
The Rotterdam Eye Hospital, The Netherlands
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 243:1200-5. 2005..To study whether intravitreal dexamethasone as adjuvant to intravitreal antibiotics improves the outcome in patients with suspected postoperative bacterial endophthalmitis...
- Infectious keratitis related to overnight orthokeratologyChing Hsi Hsiao
Department of Ophthalmology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, No 199, Tung Hwa North Road, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Cornea 24:783-8. 2005..To report the microbial culture results, clinical course, and visual outcomes for infectious keratitis related to overnight orthokeratology...
- Endophthalmitis after Artisan phakic intraocular lens implantation for correction of high myopiaFahad Diab
J Refract Surg 22:332-3. 2006
- Effects of intravitreal corticosteroid in the treatment of Staphylococcus aureus-induced experimental endophthalmitisHerminia Mino de Kaspar
Department of Ophthalmology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Retina 28:326-32. 2008..To investigate whether intravitreal injection of dexamethasone in addition to antibiotics can minimize intraocular tissue injury caused by Staphylococcus aureus endophthalmitis...
- Pseudomonas keratitisSafiye Yilmaz
Ophthalmology 113:883-4. 2006
- Treatment outcomes after pars plana vitrectomy for endogenous endophthalmitisYan Qiong Zhang
Department of Ophthalmology, Shanghai Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Retina 25:746-50. 2005..To evaluate the causative organisms of and predisposing medical conditions in endogenous endophthalmitis and review visual acuity after pars plana vitrectomy...
- A cluster of patients with acute-onset endophthalmitis following cataract surgeryNauman A Chaudhry
New England Retina Research and Education Foundation, Hamden, Connecticut 06518, USA
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 36:205-10. 2005..To describe a cluster of patients who had acute-onset endophthalmitis following cataract surgery...
- Role of intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide in the treatment of postoperative endophthalmitisNaomi S Falk
Department of Ophthalmology, Albany Medical College, Lions Eye Institute, NY 12208, USA
Retina 26:545-8. 2006..To report the use of commercially available triamcinolone acetonide as adjunct treatment for acute-onset endophthalmitis after intraocular procedures...
- Early and late endophthalmitis following trabeculectomy in a Chinese populationT M Kuang
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Eur J Ophthalmol 18:66-70. 2008..To investigate the rate of bleb-related endophthalmitis over 5 years in a Chinese population. METHODS.:Retrospective chart review...
- Chronic, postoperative Pseudomonas luteola endophthalmitisHarvey S Uy
Sentro Oftalmologico Jose Rizal, University of the Philippines, Manila, Philippines
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 15:359-61. 2007..A repeat anterior chamber tap was negative. P. luteola may be a relatively nonvirulent cause of chronic endophthalmitis. Good visual outcomes may be obtained with appropriate therapy...
- Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis in the identification of the origin of bacterial keratitis caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosaGustavo Barreto de Melo
Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1053-4. 2007..To report the use of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) in the investigation of the origin of infectious keratitis...
- Acute-onset endophthalmitis after clear corneal cataract surgery (1996-2005). Clinical features, causative organisms, and visual acuity outcomesGeeta A Lalwani
Department of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33136, USA
Ophthalmology 115:473-6. 2008..To report the clinical features, causative organisms, and visual acuity outcomes associated with endophthalmitis after clear corneal cataract surgery and to compare outcomes with those of the Endophthalmitis Vitrectomy Study (EVS)...
- A case of Enterococcus faecalis endophthalmitis with corneal ulcerSun Min Lee
Department of Ophthalmology, Mokdong Hospital, Ewha Womans University, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Ophthalmol 18:175-9. 2004..After 3 rounds of intravitreal antibiotics injection, the vitreous opacity disappeared on ultrasonographic finding but corneal opacity and corneal neovascularization still remained...
- Immunity to lysostaphin and its therapeutic value for ocular MRSA infections in the rabbitJoseph J Dajcs
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Parasitology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in New Orleans, New Orleans 70112, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 43:3712-6. 2002..To determine the effects of immunization against lysostaphin on the bactericidal action of lysostaphin in ocular tissue and the possible induction of allergic reactions...
- A comparison of invasive and cytotoxic Pseudomonas aeruginosa strain-induced corneal disease responses to therapeuticsEllen J Lee
Morton D Sarver Laboratory for Contact Lens and Cornea Research, School of Optometry, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 2020, USA
Curr Eye Res 27:289-99. 2003..We tested the hypothesis that ofloxacin, which easily penetrates host cell membranes, would be more effective than the less cell-permeable antibiotic tobramycin, for treatment of corneal infection by an invasive P. aeruginosa strain...
- Infectious keratitis associated with daily disposable contact lensesDaniel Hsien Wen Su
Singapore National Eye Centre, Singapore
Eye Contact Lens 29:185-6. 2003..To report two cases of infectious keratitis associated with the use of daily disposable soft contact lenses...
- Epidemic endophthalmitis after cataract surgeryJ Ernest
Department of Ophthalmology, Central Military Hospital, Prague, Czech Republic
Eur J Ophthalmol 12:225-7. 2002..We analyzed the results of pars plana vitrectomy in group of patients with a view to establishing risk factors, optimal therapy, surgical technique and the best timing of the pars plana vitrectomy...
- Result of early vitrectomy for endogenous Klebsiella pneumoniae endophthalmitisYoung H Yoon
Department of Ophthalmology, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Retina 23:366-70. 2003..To determine the role of pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) in the treatment of Klebsiella pneumoniae endogenous endophthalmitis...
- Cat's tooth keratitis: human corneal infection with Capnocytophaga canimorsusJ Chodosh
Molecular Pathogenesis of Eye Infection Research Center, Dean A. McGee Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73104, USA
Cornea 20:661-3. 2001..CONCLUSION: C. canimorsus keratitis may follow penetrating corneal injury and wound contamination with cat saliva and may be recalcitrant to topical antibiotic therapy...
- Postoperative Morganella morganii endophthalmitis associated with subclinical urinary tract infectionGina Tsanaktsidis
Western Sydney Eye Hospital, Wentworthville, New South Wales 2145, Australia
J Cataract Refract Surg 29:1011-3. 2003..Chronic urinary tract infection may be a risk factor for postoperative endophthalmitis. A dipstick urinalysis before elective cataract surgery in elderly patients with a history of recurrent urinary tract infections may be considered...
- Orthokeratology lens-related Pseudomonas aeruginosa infectious keratitisAlvin L Young
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, People s Republic of China
Cornea 22:265-6. 2003..To report a case of orthokeratology lens-related Pseudomonas corneal ulcer in an adult...
- Pseudomonas corneal ulcer related to overnight orthokeratologyLing Ing Lau
Department of Ophthalmology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cornea 22:262-4. 2003..To report two cases of Pseudomonas aeruginosa corneal ulcers as a complication of overnight orthokeratology lens wear...
- Endogenous endophthalmitis: an 18-year review of culture-positive cases at a tertiary care centerMonica I Binder
Department of Infectious Disease, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio 44195, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 82:97-105. 2003..Good visual outcome was associated with visual acuity of 20/200 or better at diagnosis and with the absence of hypopyon...
- Successful treatment of orthodontic-associated traumatic endophthalmitisWilliam J Wirostko
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 134:449-50. 2002..To report successful management of orthodontic-associated traumatic endophthalmitis...
- Endogenous Nocardia asteroides endophthalmitisEugene W M Ng
Eye Pathology Laboratory, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Maumenee 427, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 120:210-3. 2002
- The use of antimicrobial peptides in ophthalmology: an experimental study in corneal preservation and the management of bacterial keratitisMark J Mannis
Cornea Research Laboratory, Department of Ophthalmology, University of California, Davis, USA
Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc 100:243-71. 2002....
- Infectious and presumed noninfectious endophthalmitis after intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injectionMark L Nelson
Retina Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Retina 23:686-91. 2003..To report potentially distinguishing characteristics between bacterial endophthalmitis and presumed noninfectious endophthalmitis associated with intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injection...
- Acute postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Actinomyces neuiiJordan M Garelick
New York Medical College, Department of Ophthalmology, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, New York, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 133:145-7. 2002..To describe a case of acute postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Actinomyces neuii after uncomplicated phacoemulsification with posterior chamber intraocular lens implant...
- The efficacy of intravitreal vancomycin and dexamethasone in the treatment of experimental bacillus cereus endophthalmitisFang Liu
Department of Retina and Vitreous, Suzhou Eye Hospital, Wenzhou Medical College, P R China
Curr Eye Res 33:761-8. 2008..Bacillus cereus causes the most virulent and refractory form of endophthalmitis. The authors analyzed effectiveness of intravitreal vancomycin with or without dexamethasone for experimental Bacillus cereus endophthalmitis...
- A laboratory evaluation of antibiotic therapy for ciprofloxacin-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosaMichelle K Rhee
Charles T Campbell Laboratory, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 138:226-30. 2004..The emergence of ciprofloxacin-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa (CRPA) has created a new therapeutic challenge in ophthalmology. We evaluated ophthalmic antibiotics in vitro and in a rabbit keratitis model to determine effective therapy...
- Bilateral endogenous bacterial endophthalmitis: a report of four casesSteen Rugaard Christensen
Department of Ophthalmology, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 82:306-10. 2004..To present and discuss four cases of bilateral endogenous endophthalmitis...
- Perforated corneal ulcer with subsequent endophthalmitis in a patient with graft-versus-host diseaseSean D Adrean
Kresge Eye Institute, Department of Ophthalmology, Detroit, MI, USA
Cornea 26:107-8. 2007..To describe a case of a perforated corneal ulcer leading to a bacterial endophthalmitis in a patient with graft-versus-host disease (GVHD)...
- Bacterial keratitis after [correction of following] laser in situ keratomileusisS Levartovsky
Department of Ophthalmology, Barzilai Medical Center, Ashkelon, Israel
Ophthalmology 108:321-5. 2001..CONCLUSIONS: Although infectious keratitis after LASIK is an infrequently reported event, it should be discussed preoperatively with patients as a possible complication...
- [Recurrence of bacterial endophthalmitis after penetrating keratoplasty]J L García Serrano
Servicio de Oftalmologia, Hospital Universitario de Granada, Spain
Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol 79:89-92. 2004..One month after penetrating keratoplasty, a male patient suffered recurrent abscess and endophthalmitis caused by mixed bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus and Candida Albicans)...
- Vitreous "String of Pearls" postvitrectomy for endophthalmitisStephen A DeSuoza
Southwestern Eye Center, Mesa, Arizona 85204, USA
Retina 22:677-8. 2002
- Recurrent interface infiltration with hypopyon after astigmatic laser in situ keratomileusis on a penetrating corneal graftThomas Reinhard
Eye Hospital, Albert Ludwig s University, Freiburg, Germany
J Cataract Refract Surg 30:257-8. 2004..This case illustrates that microbial pathogens brought underneath the flap by LASIK can persist months later despite antimicrobial treatment...
- Treatment of postcataract extraction endophthalmitis: a summary of the results from the Endophthalmitis Vitrectomy StudyBernard H Doft
Retina Vitreous Consultants, 3501 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 126:554-6. 2008
- Effectiveness of mupirocin and polymyxin B in experimental Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Serratia marcescens keratitisJudy M Moreau
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Parasitology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Cornea 21:807-11. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of mupirocin and polymyxin B, alone and in combination, in vitro and in vivo using rabbit models of, and keratitis...
- Bilateral endogenous endophthalmitis caused by HACEK microorganismPreston Sullivan
Cole Eye Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 133:144-5. 2002..To report a case of bilateral endogenous endophthalmitis caused by a HACEK group organism (Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans)...
- Antibacterial activity of contact lenses bearing surface-immobilized layers of intact liposomes loaded with levofloxacinAnne Danion
Laboratoire de Bioingenierie et de Biophysique de l Universite de Sherbrooke, Department of Chemical Engineering, Universite de Sherbrooke, 2500, blvd de l Université, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada, J1K 2R1
J Pharm Sci 96:2350-63. 2007..When using initial bacteria inocula of 10(8) CFU/mL, an initial burst release provided by soaking the liposomal lenses was required for the first hours to inhibit bacteria growth...
- Ocular bacterial infections: current and future treatment optionsRegis P Kowalski
University of Pittsburgh, Associate Clinical Director of the Charles T Campbell Ophthalmic Microbiology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 3:131-9. 2005..There is no immediate need for new ophthalmic antibiotics, but increasing resistance is being seen with the widely used fluoroquinolone antibiotics...
- Etiology and antibacterial susceptibility pattern of community-acquired bacterial ocular infections in a tertiary eye care hospital in south IndiaM Jayahar Bharathi
Department of Microbiology, Aravind Eye Hospital and Postgraduate Institute of Ophthalmology, Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 58:497-507. 2010..To identify the etiology, incidence and prevalence of ocular bacterial infections, and to assess the in vitro susceptibility of these ocular bacterial isolates to commonly used antibiotics...
- Acute bilateral diffuse corneal opacity in a childTsung Jen Wang
Department of Ophthalmology, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Cornea 26:375-8. 2007..To report a case of acute bilateral corneal opacity related to bacterial blepharoconjunctivitis...
- Early bacterial keratitis after presbyopic LASIKOudy Semoun
Department of Ophthalmology 5, Quinze Vingts National Center of Ophthalmology, Paris, France
Cornea 27:114-6. 2008..To report an unusual case of infectious keratitis that occurred after presbyopic laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis (LASIK)...
- Limbal stem-cell therapy and long-term corneal regenerationPaolo Rama
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Ophthalmology Unit, Milan, Italy
N Engl J Med 363:147-55. 2010..We investigated the long-term clinical results of cell therapy in patients with burn-related corneal destruction associated with limbal stem-cell deficiency, a highly disabling ocular disease...
- Fluoroquinolone susceptibilities to methicillin-resistant and susceptible coagulase-negative Staphylococcus isolated from eye infectionAdália Dias Dourado Oliveira
Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:286-9. 2007..To evaluate the fluoroquinolone susceptibilities of ocular isolate coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS), identified at the Microbiology Laboratory - UNIFESP...
- Oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus endophthalmitis after ganciclovir intraocular implantJ C Williamson
Department of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina Hospitals and Clinics, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 129:554-5. 2000..To describe a patient who developed oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus endophthalmitis after insertion of a ganciclovir intraocular implant...
- Ophthalmic Antibiotic Resistance StudyKirk Wilhelmus; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Artificial Cornea Based on Photolithographically Patterned, Biomimetic HydrogelsChristopher N Ta; Fiscal Year: 2010..3. Determine the skirt design for optimal stromal tissue integration by evaluating in vitro and in vivo stromal wound healing within photolithographically patterned, microperforated hydrogel arrays. ..
- ROLE OF TIMPS AND MMPS IN CORNEAL ULCERATIONKAREN KERNACKI; Fiscal Year: 2004..Aim 4: To similarly examine specific TIMPs (TIMP-1 and -4) in the pathogenesis of corneal alkali-burn in inbred mice using moderate vs severe burns. ..
- COLLABORATIVE INITIAL GLAUCOMA TREATMENT STUDYPhilip Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- FOUR DIMENSIONAL IMAGING OF THE IMMUNE RESPONSE IN VIVOJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies should result in a fundamental improvement in the understanding of how T cells behave within a site of inflammation. ..
- UVEITIS GENE-EXPRESSION PROFILINGJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..The creation of a gene expression data base for patients with uveitis has the potential to clarify the pathogenesis of disease, establish new diagnostic tools, and provide a means for predicting prognosis. ..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHEMOTACTIC FACTORS IN ANIMAL MODELS OF UVEITISJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2008..We believe that these aims are novel, innovative, especially suited to the skills and achievements demonstrated by our laboratory, and highly relevant to clarifying the pathogenesis of anterior uveitis. ..
- Adaptive immunity of P. aeruginosa in cystic fibrosisGREGORY PRIEBE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Knowledge gained from these studies will elucidate new strategies for the prevention and treatment of P. aeruginosa infections in the setting of CF. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS AND THERAPY OF BACTERIAL KERATITISRICHARD O CALLAGHAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..aeruginosa. These engineered strains can infect and replicate in the rabbit cornea without causing corneal damage unless the cloned genes of P. aeruginosa are produced. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- EXPERIMENTAL PATHOGENESIS & THERAPY OF OCULAR ADENOVIRUSY Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2006..Furthermore, a better understanding of antiviral resistance and the innate immune host defenses will enable us to optimize our therapeutic options against this significant ocular pathogen. ..
- Regulatory Role of CTL-O2/Bcl2 in Epithelial HomeostasisH Cavanagh; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Epidemiology of Postkeratoplasty EndophthalmisSohela Hassan; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Cellular immunity to P. aeruginosa candidate vaccinesGREGORY PRIEBE; Fiscal Year: 2005..As a specialist in pediatric critical care and infectious diseases, his long-term goal is to develop effective immune-based interventions to prevent or ameliorate the consequences of P. aeruginosa infections. ..
- Anterior Uveal Dendritic CellsJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will clarify the function of the immune system within the eye and may suggest novel therapeutic approaches in the treatment of uveitis. ..
- Endotoxin-induced Uveitis RevisitedJames T Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2010..Future studies can buil d on these observations to test anti-inflammtory molecules induced by endotoxin as these molecules are potentially useful in the treatment of uveitis and other inflammations. ..
- IMMUNOLOGY/MOLECULAR BIOLOGY TRAINING IN OPHTHALMOLOGYJames Rosenbaum; Fiscal Year: 2007..The quality of the institution, the talents of the specific faculty, the abilities of the applicant pool, and the proven success of the program areadditional strengths of this application. ..
- Eye Disease in Cuban-American and Puerto Rican AdultsIngrid Scott; Fiscal Year: 2003..g. NEI-VFQ 25) and eye service use. Subjects who refuse will be questioned as to reason(s) for refusal. ..