Genomes and Genes
Summary: A fatal disease of the nervous system in sheep and goats, characterized by pruritus, debility, and locomotor incoordination. It is caused by proteinaceous infectious particles called PRIONS.
Publications306 found, 100 shown here
- Normal development and behaviour of mice lacking the neuronal cell-surface PrP proteinH Bueler
Institut für Molekularbiologie I, Universitat Zurich, Switzerland
Nature 356:577-82. 1992..The transmissible agent (prion) responsible for scrapie is believed to be a modified form of PrPC. Mice homozygous for disrupted PrP genes have been generated...
- Formation of native prions from minimal components in vitroNathan R Deleault
Department of Biochemistry, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:9741-6. 2007..appears to play a critical role in the pathogenesis of prion diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and scrapie. However, the fundamental mechanism by which infectious prions are produced in neurons remains unknown...
- Novel proteinaceous infectious particles cause scrapieS B Prusiner
Science 216:136-44. 1982After infection and a prolonged incubation period, the scrapie agent causes a degenerative disease of the central nervous system in sheep and goats...
- Protease-sensitive scrapie prion protein in aggregates of heterogeneous sizesSalit Tzaban
Department of Molecular Biology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, and Hadassah University Hospital, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Biochemistry 41:12868-75. 2002..The small PrP(Sc) aggregates described here are consistent with the previous demonstration of scrapie infectivity in brain fractions with a sedimentation coefficient as small as 40 S [Prusiner et al. (1980) J...
- RNA molecules stimulate prion protein conversionNathan R Deleault
Department of Biochemistry, 7200 Vail Building, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Nature 425:717-20. 2003..They also provide a practical approach to improve the sensitivity of diagnostic techniques based on PrPres amplification...
- Accumulation and dissemination of prion protein in experimental sheep scrapie in the natural hostStephen J Ryder
Department of Pathology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT153NB, UK
BMC Vet Res 5:9. 2009In order to study the sites of uptake and mechanisms of dissemination of scrapie prions in the natural host under controlled conditions, lambs aged 14 days and homozygous for the VRQ allele of the PrP gene were infected by the oral route...
- In vitro amplification of PrPSc derived from the brain and blood of sheep infected with scrapieLeigh Thorne
Department of Molecular Pathogenesis and Genetics, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
J Gen Virol 89:3177-84. 2008b>Scrapie is a fatal, naturally transmissible, neurodegenerative prion disease that affects sheep and goats and is characterized by the accumulation of a misfolded protein, PrPSc, converted from host-encoded PrPc, in the central nervous ..
- Strain typing of German transmissible spongiform encephalopathies field cases in small ruminants by biochemical methodsA Gretzschel
Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut (FLI, Institute for Novel and Emerging Diseases, Insel Riems, Germany
J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 52:55-63. 2005..In this national survey, 186 scrapie-affected sheep were found which originated from 78 flocks...
- Sheep with scrapie and mastitis transmit infectious prions through the milkCiriaco Ligios
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Sardegna, Sassari, Italy
J Virol 85:1136-9. 2011..Here, we show that sheep with scrapie and lentiviral mastitis secrete prions into the milk and infect nearly 90% of naïve suckling lambs...
- Strain-specified relative conformational stability of the scrapie prion proteinD Peretz
Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Protein Sci 10:854-63. 2001..Based on these results, the eight prion strains segregated into four distinct groups. Our results support the unorthodox proposal that distinct PrP(Sc) conformers encipher the biological properties of prion strains...
- 129/Ola mice carrying a null mutation in PrP that abolishes mRNA production are developmentally normalJ C Manson
Institute for Animal Health, Edinburgh
Mol Neurobiol 8:121-7. 1994..The mice are being used in experiments designed to address the role of PrP in the pathogenesis of scrapie and the replication of infectivity.
- Isolation and characterization of a proteinase K-sensitive PrPSc fractionMiguel A Pastrana
Prion Research Unit, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Santiago de Compostela, Rue de S. Francisco s/n, Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Spain 15782
Biochemistry 45:15710-7. 2006..PK-sensitive PrPSc isolates should prove useful for structural studies to help understand fundamental issues of the molecular biology of PrPSc and in the quest to design tests to detect preclinical prion disease...
- Follicular dendritic cell dedifferentiation by treatment with an inhibitor of the lymphotoxin pathway dramatically reduces scrapie susceptibilityNeil A Mabbott
Neuropathogenesis Unit, Institute for Animal Health, Edinburgh EH9 3JF, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Virol 77:6845-54. 2003..Studies of mouse scrapie models have shown that mature follicular dendritic cells (FDCs), expressing the host prion protein (PrP(c)), are ..
- Strain characterization of natural sheep scrapie and comparison with BSEMoira E Bruce
Institute for Animal Health, Neuropathogenesis Unit, Ogston Building, West Mains Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JF, UK
J Gen Virol 83:695-704. 2002b>Scrapie was transmitted to mice from ten sheep, collected in the UK between 1985 and 1994...
- A cellular gene encodes scrapie PrP 27-30 proteinB Oesch
Cell 40:735-46. 1985A clone encoding PrP 27-30, the major protein in purified preparations of scrapie agent, was selected from a scrapie-infected hamster brain cDNA library by oligonucleotide probes corresponding to the N terminus of the protein...
- Sympathetic innervation of lymphoreticular organs is rate limiting for prion neuroinvasionM Glatzel
Institute of Neuropathology, University Hospital Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse 12, CH-8091, Zurich, Switzerland
Neuron 31:25-34. 2001..Following intraperitoneal prion inoculation, chemical or immunological sympathectomy delayed or prevented scrapie. Prion titers in spinal cords were drastically reduced at early time points after inoculation...
- Secondary structure analysis of the scrapie-associated protein PrP 27-30 in water by infrared spectroscopyB W Caughey
NIAID, National Institutes of Health, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, Hamilton, Montana 59840
Biochemistry 30:7672-80. 1991A protease-resistant form of the protein PrP (PrP-res) accumulates in tissues of mammals infected with scrapie, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and related transmissible neurodegenerative diseases...
- The physical relationship between infectivity and prion protein aggregates is strain-dependentPhilippe Tixador
INRA Institut National de la recherche Agronomique, UR892, Virologie Immunologie Moléculaires, Jouy en Josas, France
PLoS Pathog 6:e1000859. 2010..to a panel of natural, biologically cloned strains obtained by propagation of classical and atypical sheep scrapie and BSE infectious sources in transgenic mice expressing ovine PrP...
- The natural atypical scrapie phenotype is preserved on experimental transmission and sub-passage in PRNP homologous sheepMarion M Simmons
Department of Pathology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone KT15 3NB, UK
BMC Vet Res 6:14. 2010Atypical scrapie was first identified in Norwegian sheep in 1998 and has subsequently been identified in many countries...
- A novel method for preclinical detection of PrPSc in bloodRichard Rubenstein
Departments of Neurology and Physiology Pharmacology, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11203, USA
J Gen Virol 91:1883-92. 2010..disease-associated form of the prion protein (PrP(Sc)) in protease-untreated plasma from preclinical and clinical scrapie sheep, and white-tailed deer with chronic wasting disease, following natural and experimental infection...
- Neuroinvasion in sheep transmissible spongiform encephalopathies: the role of the haematogenous routeS Siso
Department of Pathology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Bush Loan, Penicuik, Midlothian, UK
Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol 35:232-46. 2009....
- Atypical/Nor98 scrapie infectivity in sheep peripheral tissuesOlivier Andreoletti
UMR INRA ENVT 1225, Interactions Hôtes Agents Pathogènes, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
PLoS Pathog 7:e1001285. 2011Atypical/Nor98 scrapie was first identified in 1998 in Norway...
- Prion diseases are efficiently transmitted by blood transfusion in sheepFiona Houston
Neuropathogenesis Division, Roslin Institute, Compton, United Kingdom
Blood 112:4739-45. 2008..We previously reported preliminary data demonstrating the transmission of BSE and natural scrapie by blood transfusion in sheep...
- State-of-the-art review of goat TSE in the European Union, with special emphasis on PRNP genetics and epidemiologyGabriele Vaccari
Department of Food Safety and Veterinary Public Health, Unit of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies and Emerging Infectious Diseases of Animals, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161, Rome, Italy
Vet Res 40:48. 2009b>Scrapie is a fatal, neurodegenerative disease of sheep and goats...
- PrP gene polymorphisms in Cyprus goats and their association with resistance or susceptibility to natural scrapiePenelope Papasavva-Stylianou
TSE Section, Laboratory of Animal Health, State Veterinary Laboratories, Veterinary Services, 1417 Nicosia, Cyprus
Vet J 187:245-50. 2011In contrast to scrapie in sheep, the genetic basis of susceptibility to scrapie in goats is not well understood...
- Transportation of prion protein across the intestinal mucosa of scrapie-susceptible and scrapie-resistant sheepM Jeffrey
Veterinary Laboratories Agency VLA Lasswade, Pentlands Science Park, Midlothian, UK
J Pathol 209:4-14. 2006To determine the mechanisms of intestinal transport of infection, and early pathogenesis, of sheep scrapie, isolated gut-loops were inoculated to ensure that significant concentrations of scrapie agent would come into direct contact with ..
- Prion strain discrimination in cell culture: the cell panel assaySukhvir P Mahal
Department of Infectology, Scripps Florida, 5353 Parkside Drive, Jupiter, FL 33458, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:20908-13. 2007..lines, N2a-PK1, N2a-R33, LD9 and CAD5, which show widely different responses to prion strains RML, 22L, 301C, and Me7, into a panel that allows their discrimination in vitro within 2 weeks, using the standard scrapie cell assay (SSCA).
- Faecal shedding, alimentary clearance and intestinal spread of prions in hamsters fed with scrapieDominique Krüger
Robert Koch Institute, P24 Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, Nordufer 20, D 13353 Berlin, Germany
Vet Res 40:4. 2009..Here, we fed hamsters 10mg of 263K scrapie brain homogenate and examined the faecal excretion of disease-associated prion protein (PrP(TSE)) during the ..
- Oral prion infection requires normal numbers of Peyer's patches but not of enteric lymphocytesMarco Prinz
Institute of Neuropathology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Pathol 162:1103-11. 2003..Although susceptibility to prion infection following oral challenge correlates with the number of PPs, it is remarkably independent of the number of PP-associated lymphocytes...
- Proteinase K-sensitive disease-associated ovine prion protein revealed by conformation-dependent immunoassayAlana M Thackray
Centre for Veterinary Science, Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge CB3 OES, UK
Biochem J 401:475-83. 2007..utilizing time-resolved fluorescence to study the conformers of disease-associated PrP in natural cases of sheep scrapie, without using PK (proteinase K) treatment to discriminate between PrPC and PrPSc...
- Disease dynamics over very different time-scales: foot-and-mouth disease and scrapie on the network of livestock movements in the UKRowland R Kao
Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
J R Soc Interface 4:907-16. 2007..UK and the dynamics of two diseases: foot-and-mouth disease (FMD), which has an incubation period of days, and scrapie, which incubates over years...
- Novel polymorphisms at codons 146 and 151 in the prion protein gene of Cyprus goats, and their association with natural scrapiePenelope Papasavva-Stylianou
Virology Laboratory, Veterinary Services, 1417 Nicosia, Cyprus
Vet J 173:459-62. 2007..an association exists between specific combinations of polymorphisms of the prion protein (PrP) and natural scrapie in Cyprus goats, 250 goats were examined, including 164 histologically positive cases...
- Transfer of scrapie prion infectivity by cell contact in cultureNnennaya Kanu
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University College London, Gower Street, WC1E 6BT, London, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 12:523-30. 2002BACKGROUND: When a cell is infected with scrapie prions, newly synthesized molecules of the prion protein PrP(C) are expressed at the cell surface and may subsequently be converted to the abnormal form PrP(Sc)...
- Prions are secreted into the oral cavity in sheep with preclinical scrapieBen C Maddison
ADAS UK, Department of Biology, University of Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 201:1672-6. 2010..We analyzed buccal swab samples obtained from preclinical scrapie-infected sheep by concentrating the collected prions on silicon dioxide, followed by amplification by serial ..
- Isolation of proteinase K-sensitive prions using pronase E and phosphotungstic acidLaura D'Castro
MRC Prion Unit and Department of Neurodegenerative Disease, UCL Institute of Neurology, National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 5:e15679. 2010..This procedure now allows characterization of proteinase K-sensitive prions and investigation of their clinical relevance in human and animal prion disease without being confounded by contaminating PrP(C)...
- Immunohistochemical characterisation of classical scrapie neuropathology in sheepE Vidal
Priocat Laboratory, Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal, UAB IRTA, Campus de la Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Comp Pathol 141:135-46. 2009..was to characterize the pathogenic events occurring in the CNS of sheep with spontaneously arising classical scrapie. Brains from seven affected animals and two controls were subject to immunohistochemical and histochemical ..
- The kuru infectious agent is a unique geographic isolate distinct from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and scrapie agentsLaura Manuelidis
Section of Neuropathology, Yale University Medical School, 333 Cedar Street, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13529-34. 2009Human sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD), endemic sheep scrapie, and epidemic bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) are caused by a related group of infectious agents. The new U.K...
- Mice with gene targetted prion protein alterations show that Prnp, Sinc and Prni are congruentR C Moore
Institute of Cell and Molecular Biology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Nat Genet 18:118-25. 1998Classical genetic analysis has identified Sinc/Prni as the major gene controlling mouse scrapie incubation time. Sinc/Prni is linked to Prnp, the gene encoding the prion protein (PrP)...
- Scrapie infectivity in hamster blood is not associated with plateletsKarel Holada
Laboratory of Cellular Hematology, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, Food and Drug Administration, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Virol 76:4649-50. 2002The infectivity of hamster scrapie strain 263K was measured in platelets isolated from blood pooled from six hamsters with clinical scrapie. The total number of infectious doses present in the blood pool was 220, out of which only 3...
- Post-mortem immunodiagnosis of scrapie and bovine spongiform encephalopathyC F Farquhar
Institute for Animal Health, AFRC and MRC Neuropathogenesis Unit, Edinburgh
J Virol Methods 24:215-21. 1989Two polyclonal antisera were raised in rabbits against the scrapie-associated fibril protein (PrP) prepared from sheep and mice which were terminally infected with experimental scrapie...
- Low density subcellular fractions enhance disease-specific prion protein misfoldingJames F Graham
Neuropathogenesis Division, The Roslin Institute and Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Alexander Robertson Building, Easter Bush Veterinary Centre, Roslin, Midlothian EH25 9RG, UK
J Biol Chem 285:9868-80. 2010..the cellular location of disease-specific co-factors using fractions derived from gradient centrifugation of a scrapie-susceptible cell line...
- Three serial passages of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in sheep do not significantly affect discriminatory test resultsMichael Stack
Veterinary Laboratories Agency VLA, Woodham Lane, Addlestone, Surrey, UK
J Gen Virol 90:764-8. 2009..techniques, Western immunoblotting (WB) and immunohistochemistry (IHC), have been developed to distinguish scrapie from cases of experimental sheep BSE by the characteristics of their respective abnormal, disease-associated ..
- PrPSc accumulation in fetal cotyledons of scrapie-resistant lambs is influenced by fetus location in the uterusJanet Alverson
USDA, ARS, Animal Disease Research Unit, 3003 ADBF, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
J Gen Virol 87:1035-41. 2006Placentae from scrapie-infected ewes have been shown to accumulate PrPSc when the genotype of the fetus is of a susceptible genotype (VRQ/VRQ, ARQ/VRQ or ARQ/ARQ)...
- Highly efficient protein misfolding cyclic amplificationNuria Gonzalez-Montalban
Center for Biomedical Engineering and Technology, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 7:e1001277. 2011..Using serial PMCAb, a 10¹²-fold dilution of scrapie brain material could be amplified to the level detectible by Western blotting in 3 rounds (72 hours)...
- Prion protein allele A136 H154Q171 is associated with high susceptibility to scrapie in purebred and crossbred German Merinoland sheepG Luhken
Department of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Arch Virol 149:1571-80. 2004Prion protein (PrP) genotypes were determined in eight sheep that have been tested positive for atypical scrapie from purebred or crossbred Merinoland sheep flocks in Germany and compared with the PrP genotypes of their flock mates...
- Effect of scrapie on the stability of housekeeping genesJ Lyahyai
Laboratorio de Genetica Bioquimica LAGENBIO, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Anim Biotechnol 21:1-13. 2010b>Scrapie is the archetype of prion diseases, fatal neurodegenerative disorders that affect humans and animals...
- Molecular biology and pathology of scrapie and the prion diseases of humansS B Prusiner
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Brain Pathol 1:297-310. 1991b>Scrapie and bovine spongiform encephalopathy of animals and Creutzfeldt-Jakob and Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker diseases of humans are transmissible and genetic neurodegenerative diseases caused by prions...
- Caprine PRNP polymorphisms at codons 171, 211, 222 and 240 in a Greek herd and their association with classical scrapieIlias G Bouzalas
Laboratory of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Gen Virol 91:1629-34. 2010The association between PRNP variation and scrapie incidence was investigated in a highly affected Greek goat herd. Four mutations were identified at codons 171Q/R, 211R/Q, 222Q/K and 240P/S...
- Complement facilitates early prion pathogenesisM A Klein
Institute of Neuropathology, University of Zurich, Schmelzbergstrasse, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Med 7:488-92. 2001New-variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and scrapie are typically initiated by extracerebral exposure to the causative agent, and exhibit early prion replication in lymphoid organs...
- PrP(Sc) accumulation in placentas of ewes exposed to natural scrapie: influence of foetal PrP genotype and effect on ewe-to-lamb transmissionOlivier Andreoletti
UMR 959 INRA ENVT, Physiopathologie Infectieuse et Parasitaire des Ruminants, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire, 23 Chemin des Capelles, 31076 Toulouse Cedex 3, France
J Gen Virol 83:2607-16. 2002Placentas from scrapie-affected ewes are known to be infectious. Nevertheless, placenta infectivity in such ewes is not systematic...
- Detection of PrPsc in blood from sheep infected with the scrapie and bovine spongiform encephalopathy agentsL A Terry
Department of Molecular Pathogenesis and Genetics, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Woodham Lane, New Haw, Surrey KT15 3NB, United Kingdom
J Virol 83:12552-8. 2009..In sheep with clinical disease, PrP(sc) was detected in the blood of 55% of scrapie agent-infected animals (n = 80) and 71% of animals with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (n = 7)...
- Dynamics and genetics of PrPSc placental accumulation in sheepC Lacroux
UMR INRA ENVT 1225, Interactions Hôte Agent Pathogène, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Toulouse, 23 Chemin des Capelles, 31076 Toulouse, France
J Gen Virol 88:1056-61. 2007Placentae from scrapie-affected ewes are an important source of contamination...
- Prion protein (PrP) with amino-proximal deletions restoring susceptibility of PrP knockout mice to scrapieM Fischer
Institut für Molekularbiologie der Universität Zürich, Switzerland
EMBO J 15:1255-64. 1996..Disruption of the PrP gene in the mouse abolishes susceptibility to scrapie and prion replication...
- In vitro generation of infectious scrapie prionsJoaquin Castilla
Department of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555, USA
Cell 121:195-206. 2005..Inoculation of wild-type hamsters with in vitro-produced PrPres led to a scrapie disease identical to the illness produced by brain infectious material...
- Scrapie resistance in ARQ sheepW W Laegreid
University of Illinois, Department of Pathobiology, 2001 S Lincoln Ave, Urbana, IL 61802, USA
J Virol 82:10318-20. 2008Variation in the ovine prion protein amino acid sequence influences scrapie progression, with sheep homozygous for A(136)R(154)Q(171) considered susceptible...
- Pathogenesis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in sheepL J M van Keulen
Department of Bacteriology and TSE s, Central Institute for Animal Disease Control CIDC, Wageningen University and Research Centre, P O Box 2004, 8203 AA Lelystad, The Netherlands
Arch Virol 153:445-53. 2008..The pathogenesis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in sheep was studied by immunohistochemical detection of scrapie-associated prion protein (PrP(Sc)) in the gastrointestinal, lymphoid and neural tissues following oral ..
- Molecular analysis of ovine prion protein identifies similarities between BSE and an experimental isolate of natural scrapie, CH1641J Hope
BBSRC Institute for Animal Health, Compton Laboratory, Berkshire, UK
J Gen Virol 80:1-4. 1999..variation in contemporary and archival brain tissue from cases of experimental BSE or experimental and natural scrapie in sheep...
- Efficient in vitro amplification of a mouse-adapted scrapie prion proteinYuichi Murayama
Prion Disease Research Center, National Institute of Animal Health, 3 1 5 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0856, Japan
Neurosci Lett 413:270-3. 2007Protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA) is a highly sensitive technique used to detect minute amounts of scrapie prion protein (PrP(Sc)), a major protein component of the infectious agents associated with prion diseases...
- Role of the GALT in scrapie agent neuroinvasion from the intestineBridget R Glaysher
Neuropathogenesis Unit, Institute for Animal Health, Ogston Building, West Mains Road, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Immunol 178:3757-66. 2007..Mice deficient in specific GALT components were used here to determine their separate involvement in scrapie agent neuroinvasion from the intestine...
- Sensitive detection of pathological prion protein by cyclic amplification of protein misfoldingG P Saborio
Serono Pharmaceutical Research Institute, Geneva, Switzerland
Nature 411:810-3. 2001....
- Identification of prion protein gene polymorphisms in goats from Italian scrapie outbreaksP L Acutis
CEA Centro di referenza per le Encefalopatie Animali, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Piemonte, Liguria e Valle d Aosta, Via Bologna 148, 10154 Turin, Italy
J Gen Virol 87:1029-33. 2006Susceptibility to scrapie in sheep is influenced by polymorphisms of the prion protein (PrP) gene, whereas no strong association between genetics and scrapie has yet been determined in goats due to the limited number of studies on these ..
- Prion protein gene polymorphisms in natural goat scrapieCharalambos Billinis
Laboratory of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Laboratory of Pathology and Clinic of Productive Animal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University, 54006 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Gen Virol 83:713-21. 2002A total of 51 goats, including seven clinical cases, from the first herd in Greece reported to have scrapie was examined to discern an association between scrapie susceptibility and polymorphisms of the gene encoding the prion protein (..
- Identification of an allelic variant of the goat PrP gene associated with resistance to scrapieGabriele Vaccari
Department of Food Safety and Veterinary Public Health, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Gen Virol 87:1395-402. 2006The association between PrP gene variations and scrapie susceptibility was studied in a single herd of Ionica breed goats...
- Identification of seven haplotypes of the caprine PrP gene at codons 127, 142, 154, 211, 222 and 240 in French Alpine and Saanen breeds and their association with classical scrapieF Barillet
INRA, UR 631, Station d Amélioration Génétique des Animaux, BP 52627, 31326 Castanet Tolosan Cedex, France
J Gen Virol 90:769-76. 2009In sheep, susceptibility to scrapie is mainly influenced by polymorphisms of the PrP gene. In goats, there are to date few data related to scrapie susceptibility association with PrP gene polymorphisms...
- Temporary depletion of complement component C3 or genetic deficiency of C1q significantly delays onset of scrapieN A Mabbott
Neuropathogenesis Unit, Institute for Animal Health, Edinburgh, UK
Nat Med 7:485-7. 2001..centers in lymphoid tissues of patients with variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), sheep with natural scrapie or rodents following experimental peripheral infection with scrapie...
- Cytosolic PrP induces apoptosis of cell by disrupting microtubule assemblyXiao Li Li
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Ying Xin Rd 100, Beijing, 100052, People s Republic of China
J Mol Neurosci 43:316-25. 2011..Moreover, the levels of endogenous tubulin in the brain tissues of scrapie-infected hamsters were significantly lower than that of normal one...
- Transmissibility of atypical scrapie in ovine transgenic mice: major effects of host prion protein expression and donor prion genotypeJean Noel Arsac
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7300. 2009Atypical scrapie or Nor98 has been identified as a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) that is clearly distinguishable from classical scrapie and BSE, notably regarding the biochemical features of the protease-resistant prion ..
- Anti-prion antibodies for prophylaxis following prion exposure in miceEinar M Sigurdsson
Department of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, Millhauser Laboratory, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Neurosci Lett 336:185-7. 2003Prion disease is characterized by a conformational change of the normal form of the prion protein (PrP(C)) to the scrapie-associated form (PrP(Sc))...
- Similarities between forms of sheep scrapie and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease are encoded by distinct prion typesWiebke M Wemheuer
Prion and Dementia Research Unit, Department of Neuropathology, University Medical Center Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Am J Pathol 175:2566-73. 2009Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies such as scrapie in sheep, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans, and bovine sporadic encephalopathy in cattle are characterized by the accumulation of a misfolded protein: the pathological ..
- Changes in brain gene expression shared by scrapie and Alzheimer diseaseJ R Duguid
Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center, Edith N Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 86:7260-4. 1989We have isolated two recombinant cDNAs whose corresponding RNAs have an increased abundance in scrapie-infected hamster brain...
- Polymorphisms of the prion protein gene in sheep of Inner Mongolia, ChinaYiqin Wang
National Animal Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies Laboratory, College of Veterinary Medicine, China Agricultural University, Beijing 100094, China
Virus Genes 37:128-30. 2008..residue alterations at codons 136, 154, and 174, in sheep have been found to be associated with susceptibility to scrapie disease. We investigated Prnp polymorphisms in three local sheep breeds in Inner Mongolia, China...
- Detection of classical and atypical/Nor98 scrapie by the paraffin-embedded tissue blot methodW M Wemheuer
Prion and Dementia Research Unit, Department of Neuropathology, University Medical Centre, Gottingen, 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Vet Rec 164:677-81. 2009..was used to investigate sections of the central nervous system and lymphatic tissues from 24 cases of classical scrapie and 25 cases of atypical/Nor98 scrapie in sheep and four healthy control sheep...
- Acute cellular uptake of abnormal prion protein is cell type and scrapie-strain independentChristopher S Greil
Rocky Mountain Laboratories, Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, NIAID, NIH, 903 S 4th Street, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA
Virology 379:284-93. 2008..neurodegenerative diseases that include Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, bovine spongiform encephalopathy and sheep scrapie. Although one of the earliest events during TSE infection is the cellular uptake of protease resistant prion ..
- Calpain-dependent endoproteolytic cleavage of PrPSc modulates scrapie prion propagationRajgopal Yadavalli
Department of Microbiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536, USA
J Biol Chem 279:21948-56. 2004..these issues we have taken a combination of pharmacological and genetic approaches using persistently infected scrapie mouse brain (SMB) cells...
- Hyperefficient PrP Sc amplification of mouse-adapted BSE and scrapie strain by protein misfolding cyclic amplification techniqueAiko Fujihara
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Nagasaki University Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Japan
FEBS J 276:2841-8. 2009..encephalopathy models infected with either mouse-adapted bovine spongiform encephalopathy or mouse-adapted scrapie, Chandler strain...
- Distinct spatial activation of intrinsic and extrinsic apoptosis pathways in natural scrapie: association with prion-related lesionsCarmen Serrano
Laboratorio de Genetica Bioquimica LAGENBIO, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad de Zaragoza, Miguel Servet 177, 50013 Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Res 40:42. 2009..in the intrinsic and extrinsic apoptotic pathways in the central nervous systems of sheep naturally infected with scrapie. Expression changes obtained by real-time RT-PCR were also compared with the extent of classical scrapie lesions, ..
- Insight into the PrPC-->PrPSc conversion from the structures of antibody-bound ovine prion scrapie-susceptibility variantsFrederic Eghiaian
Laboratoire d Enzymologie et de Biochimie Structurales, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 91198 Gif sur Yvette, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:10254-9. 2004..We report here the 2.5-A-resolution crystal structures of three scrapie-susceptibility ovine PrP variants complexed with an antibody that binds to PrPC and to PrPSc; they identify two ..
- Changes of tau profiles in brains of the hamsters infected with scrapie strains 263 K or 139 A possibly associated with the alteration of phosphate kinasesGui Rong Wang
State Key Laboratory for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control, National Institute for Viral Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Ying Xin Rd 100, Beijing 100052, PR China
BMC Infect Dis 10:86. 2010..This study investigated the possible changes of tau and phosphorylated tau (p-tau, at Ser396, Ser404, and Ser202/Thr205) in scrapie experimental animals.
- No associations between PrP genotypes and reproduction traits in INRA 401 sheepZ G Vitezica
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Station d Amélioration Génétique des Animaux, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
J Anim Sci 84:1317-22. 2006..It is unlikely that selection for scrapie resistance will have an effect on the reproductive or performance traits studied in the INRA 401 breed.
- Characterization of atypical scrapie cases from Great Britain in transgenic ovine PrP micePeter C Griffiths
Molecular Pathogenesis and Genetics Department, Veterinary Laboratories Agency, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
J Gen Virol 91:2132-8. 2010Twenty-four atypical scrapie cases from sheep with different prion protein genotypes from Great Britain were transmitted to transgenic tg338 and/or TgshpXI mice expressing sheep PrP alleles, but failed to transmit to wild-type mice...
- Sparse PrP(Sc) accumulation in the placentas of goats with naturally acquired scrapieKatherine I O'Rourke
Animal Disease Research Unit, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Pullman, WA 99164, USA
BMC Vet Res 7:7. 2011Domestic goats (Capra hircus) are a natural and experimental host of scrapie and bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) of sheep and cattle...
- Overexpression of Shadoo protein in transgenic mice does not impact the pathogenesis of scrapieHaiying Wang
Department of Animal Biotechnology, College of Animal Science and Veterinary Medicine, Jilin University, Changchun 130062, China
Neurosci Lett 496:1-4. 2011..Following infection with mouse-adapted scrapie strain 22L, all transgenic mice tested exhibited characteristics of scrapie disease...
- Assessment of calcium-binding proteins (Parvalbumin and Calbindin D-28K) and perineuronal nets in normal and scrapie-affected adult sheep brainsEnric Vidal
Priocat Laboratory, CReSA, Veterinary Faculty, , , Barcelona, Spain
J Virol Methods 136:137-46. 2006b>Scrapie is a prion disease in small ruminants that manifests itself with neurological clinical signs amongst which are ataxia and tremors. These signs can be explained partially by an imbalance in central inhibitory innervation...
- Novel polymorphisms in the caprine PrP gene: a codon 142 mutation associated with scrapie incubation periodW Goldmann
Institute for Animal Health, BBSRC and MRC Neuropathogenesis Unit, Edinburgh, UK
J Gen Virol 77:2885-91. 1996..at codon 142 (Ile --> Met) appeared to be associated with differing disease incubation periods in goats experimentally infected with isolates of bovine spongiform encephalopathy, sheep scrapie CH1641 or sheep-passaged ME7 scrapie.
- Histidine at codon 154 of the prion protein gene is a risk factor for Nor98 scrapie in goatsSilvia Colussi
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Piemonte, Liguria e Valle d Aosta, Via Bologna 148, Torino, Italy
J Gen Virol 89:3173-6. 2008Prion protein gene (PRNP) polymorphisms are involved in modulating the appearance of atypical/Nor98 scrapie in sheep, with the alleles AHQ and AF141RQ strongly associated with occurrence of the disease...
- Abnormal synaptic protein expression and cell death in murine scrapieS Siso
Priocat Laboratory, Centre of Animal Health Research CReSA, Department of Medicine and Animal Surgery, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
Acta Neuropathol 103:615-26. 2002..and beta-synuclein, matching the distribution of spongiform degeneration, was found in the neurological phase of scrapie-infected mice...
- PrP genetics in sheep and the applications for scrapie and BSEN Hunter
Institute for Animal Health, BBSRC MRC Neuropathogenesis Unit, Edinburgh, UK
Trends Microbiol 5:331-4. 1997The strong links between PrP genotype and the occurrence of scrapie in sheep strengthen evidence supporting the central importance of the PrP protein in the development of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, despite the fact that ..
- A newly identified type of scrapie agent can naturally infect sheep with resistant PrP genotypesAnnick Le Dur
Virologie Immunologie Moléculaires and Génétique Biochimique et Cytogénétique, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 78350 Jouy en Josas, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:16031-6. 2005b>Scrapie in small ruminants belongs to transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), or prion diseases, a family of fatal neurodegenerative disorders that affect humans and animals and can transmit within and between species by ..
- Polygenic variation and transmission factors involved in the resistance/susceptibility to scrapie in a Romanov flockClara Díaz
Instituto Nacional de Investigacion y Tecnologia Agraria y Alimentaria INIA, Dpto Mejora Genética Animal, Ctra de la Coruña Km 7, 5, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Gen Virol 86:849-57. 2005Data from 4049 Romanov sheep belonging to a flock affected by natural scrapie were analysed by using survival-analysis techniques...
- Prions can infect primary cultured neurons and astrocytes and promote neuronal cell deathSabrina Cronier
, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 78350 Jouy-en-Josas, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:12271-6. 2004..on primary cerebellar cultures established from transgenic mice expressing ovine PrP and then exposed to sheep scrapie agent...
- Primary isolation of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent in mice: agent definition based on a review of 150 transmissionsR Green
Department of Pathology, Veterinary Laboratories Agency (VLA)-Weybridge, New Haw, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 3NB, UK
J Comp Pathol 132:117-31. 2005..These features, together with the conventional lesion profile, will be of use in distinguishing the agents of BSE and scrapie in sheep.
- Sheep-passaged bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent exhibits altered pathobiological properties in bovine-PrP transgenic miceJuan Carlos Espinosa
Centro de Investigacion en Sanidad Animal, INIA, 28130 Valdeolmos, Madrid, Spain
J Virol 81:835-43. 2007..can be experimentally infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), and the ensuing disease is similar to scrapie in terms of pathogenesis and clinical signs. BSE infection in sheep is an animal and human health concern...
- [Scrapie of sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in Iceland]Gudmundur Georgsson
Laeknabladid 94:541-8. 2008b>Scrapie of sheep and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) are both classified as prion diseases. The infectious agents of both diseases are closely related...
- Scrapie, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and bovine spongiform encephalopathy: the key role of a nerve membrane protein (PrP)J Hope
AFRC Institute for Animal Health, AFRC and MRC Neuropathogenesis Unit, Edinburgh, U.K
Biochem Soc Trans 22:159-63. 1994
- Prion protein amino acid determinants of differential susceptibility and molecular feature of prion strains in mice and volesUmberto Agrimi
Department of Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
PLoS Pathog 4:e1000113. 2008..Voles showed high susceptibility to sheep scrapie but were resistant to bovine spongiform encephalopathy, whereas C57Bl/6 and wood mice displayed opposite features...
- PrP polymorphisms in Spanish sheep affected with natural scrapieC Acin
National Reference Centre for Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, Zaragoza, Spain
Vet Rec 155:370-2. 2004
- Abnormal prion protein in genetically resistant sheep from a scrapie-infected flockJ Y Madec
AFSSA Lyon, 31 avenue Tony Garnier, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
J Gen Virol 85:3483-6. 2004The central molecular event in transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, such as scrapie in sheep, is the accumulation in tissues of an abnormal isoform of the cellular prion protein...
- Transmission and characterization of bovine spongiform encephalopathy sources in two ovine transgenic mouse lines (TgOvPrP4 and TgOvPrP59)C Cordier
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, 31 avenue Tony Garnier, 69364 Lyon Cedex 07, France
J Gen Virol 87:3763-71. 2006..different TSE strains, including differentiation of agents involved in bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and scrapie, this has been only poorly described in transgenic mice...
- Lentivector-mediated RNAi efficiently suppresses prion protein and prolongs survival of scrapie-infected miceAlexander Pfeifer
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
J Clin Invest 116:3204-10. 2006..Treatment of scrapie-infected neuronal cells with these lentivectors resulted in an efficient and stable suppression of PrP(Sc) ..
- PET-blot analysis contributes to BSE strain recognition in C57Bl/6 miceStephane Lezmi
Agence Francaise de Securite Sanitaire des Aliments, Unité ATNC 31, avenue Tony Garnier 69364, Lyon Cedex 07, France
J Histochem Cytochem 54:1087-94. 2006..sources was considered and was distinct from the PrP(res) distribution in C57Bl/6 mice inoculated with a French scrapie isolate or with a mouse-adapted scrapie strain (C506M3)...
- Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies: prion proof in progressHerman K Edskes
Nature 430:977-9. 2004
- Impact of Microparticles on Oral TSE InfectionsJudd Aiken; Fiscal Year: 2009..Oral transmission is the primary route of infection for BSE, scrapie and TME and is the suspected route of transmission for vCJD and CWD...
- Impact of Microparticles on Oral TSE InfectionsJoel A Pedersen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Oral transmission is the primary route of infection for BSE, scrapie and TME and is the suspected route of transmission for vCJD and CWD...
- Characteristics of Prion Entry and Neuroinvasion Following Nasal Cavity InfectionAnthony E Kincaid; Fiscal Year: 2010..to the horizontal spread of prion disease between animals, such as chronic wasting disease in deer and elk, and scrapie in sheep and goats...
- Characterization of de novo generation of infectious prionsJoaquin Castilla; Fiscal Year: 2009..e. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in US cattle and Nor98 (atypical scrapie) in New Zealand sheep, provide evidence that this infrequent spontaneous phenomenon may occur naturally...
- Characterization of prion protein conformational changesValerie Daggett; Fiscal Year: 2007..TSEs, or prion diseases, include Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, fatal familial insomnia and Kuru in humans, scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy in cattle, and chronic wasting disease in deer and elk...
- Characterization of prion protein conformational changesVALERIE D DAGGETT; Fiscal Year: 2010..TSEs, or prion diseases, include Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, fatal familial insomnia and Kuru in humans, scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy in cattle, and chronic wasting disease in deer and elk...
- Role of Prion Protein in Manganese NeurotoxicityANUMANTHA GOUNDER KANTHASAMY; Fiscal Year: 2010..protein, iii) to determine whether chronic manganese exposure accelerates the accumulation and aggregation of the scrapie form of prion protein (PrPSc) and causes increased neuronal damage in a mouse model of prion disease, iv) to ..
- Key molecular mechanisms of extraneural pathogenesis and transmission of TSEsMark Zabel; Fiscal Year: 2009..These include chronic wasting disease (CWD) of deer and elk, scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in cattle and Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease and kuru in humans...
- Key molecular mechanisms of extraneural pathogenesis and transmission of TSEsMark D Zabel; Fiscal Year: 2010..These include chronic wasting disease (CWD) of deer and elk, scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in cattle and Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease and kuru in humans...
- Species Susceptibility Assay for Chronic Wasting DiseaseSurachai Supattapone; Fiscal Year: 2005..amplification to measure the potential susceptibility of a range of potential host species to CWD as well as scrapie. Species to be tested include humans, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, dogs, cats, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, ..
- PrP-scrapie transport across intestinal & BBBNeena Singh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Despite these concerns, surprisingly little is known about the mechanism(s) by which the infectious prion or PrP-scrapie (PrPsc), a protein of 27-30kDa, is transported from the intestine or peripheral blood to the central nervous ..
- Emergence of drug resistance in prion populationsCharles Weissmann; Fiscal Year: 2010..innovation making this investigation possible is the Cell Panel Assay (CPA), which is based on the Standard Scrapie Cell Assay (SSCA), both of which were developed in our laboratories and which allow the rapid discrimination ..
- Intercellular transfer of prion in prion diseaseMan Sun Sy; Fiscal Year: 2006..the same pathogenic mechanism based on the conversion of the normal cellular prion (PrP c) into the infectious scrapie prion (prpSc)...
- SYNTHESES AND CELLULAR STUDIES OF NEW PHOTOSENSITIZERS FOR MEDICAL APPLICATIONSKevin Smith; Fiscal Year: 2009..blood, bone marrow purging, and for inhibition of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies [bovine (BSE), sheep (scrapie) and human forms (Creutzfeld-Jacob disease)]...
- SYNTHESES AND CELLULAR STUDIES OF NEW PHOTOSENSITIZERS FOR MEDICAL APPLICATIONSKevin M Smith; Fiscal Year: 2011..blood, bone marrow purging, and for inhibition of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies [bovine (BSE), sheep (scrapie) and human forms (Creutzfeld-Jacob disease)]...
- SYNTHESES AND CELLULAR STUDIES OF NEW PHOTOSENSITIZERS FOR MEDICAL APPLICATIONSKevin M Smith; Fiscal Year: 2010..blood, bone marrow purging, and for inhibition of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies [bovine (BSE), sheep (scrapie) and human forms (Creutzfeld-Jacob disease)]...
- A Proteomic Approach to Biomarker Discovery in Prion DiseaseLingjun Li; Fiscal Year: 2007..impact upon human and animal health are Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), scrapie and chronic wasting disease (CWD)...
- Therapeutic Approaches for Prion DiseaseThomas Wisniewski; Fiscal Year: 2009..Mabs will be tested for therapeutic efficacy in tissue culture models of scrapie and human sporadic CJD prion infection and 3) Passive immunization studies using existing Mabs and antibodies ..
- Therapeutic Approaches for Prion DiseaseThomas M Wisniewski; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mabs will be tested for therapeutic efficacy in tissue culture models of scrapie and human sporadic CJD prion infection and 3) Passive immunization studies using existing Mabs and antibodies ..
- Structural Investigations of the Prion Protein het-sRoland Riek; Fiscal Year: 2006The "protein-only hypothesis" states that prion diseases such as scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in human are distinct from infectious diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, or ..
- Mechanism of Prion NeurotropismSurachai Supattapone; Fiscal Year: 2010..in cattle, chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer and elk, transmissible mink encephalopathy (TME) in mink, and scrapie in sheep. The infectious agents of TSEs are unconventional, proteinaceous entities, which have been termed prions...
- Germinal Center Function in Prion DiseaseAlan Young; Fiscal Year: 2007..clearly demonstrated a disruption in the differentiation and phenotype of these two B cell subsets in response to scrapie infection...
- Transmissibility of Neurodegenerative DiseasesDMITRY Y GOLDGABER; Fiscal Year: 2010..to animals were obtained with a notable exception of prion diseases such as Creitzfeldt-Jakob disease in man and scrapie and mad cow disease in animals...
- Transmissibility of Neurodegenerative DiseasesDmitry Goldgaber; Fiscal Year: 2009..to animals were obtained with a notable exception of prion diseases such as Creitzfeldt-Jakob disease in man and scrapie and mad cow disease in animals...
- An improved expression vector to create transgenic mice for prion research.GULTEKIN TAMGUNEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..agents responsible for fatal neurodegenerative diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans, scrapie in sheep, and bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in cattle...
- Preventing Human Prion Diseases - Inactivation of PrionsSTANLEY PRUSINER; Fiscal Year: 2009..we plan to study three strains of prions passaged in mice: RML and 301V, which originated from sheep with scrapie and cattle with BSE, respectively, plus a novel synthetic strain MoSP1, which is the most stable strain reported ..
- Preventing Human Prion Diseases - Inactivation of PrionsSTANLEY PRUSINER; Fiscal Year: 2007..we plan to study three strains of prions passaged in mice: RML and 301V, which originated from sheep with scrapie and cattle with BSE, respectively, plus a novel synthetic strain MoSP1, which is the most stable strain reported ..
- CWD: ROLE OF THE LYMPHOID TISSUE PHASE IN PRION DISEASEChristina Sigurdson; Fiscal Year: 2004..topical, and important feature of several TSEs, including variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) in humans, scrapie in sheep, and chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer...