Genomes and Genes
Summary: Diseases of the domestic dog (Canis familiaris). This term does not include diseases of wild dogs, WOLVES; FOXES; and other Canidae for which the heading CARNIVORA is used.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications314 found, 100 shown here
- Directions for the diagnosis, clinical staging, treatment and prevention of canine leishmaniosisL Solano-Gallego
Dept Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College, University of London, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts, UK
Vet Parasitol 165:1-18. 2009..Protection against sand fly bites by topical insecticides is effective in reducing infection, and recent development of vaccines has indicated that prevention by vaccination is feasible...
- Vector-borne helminths of dogs and humans in EuropeDomenico Otranto
Dipartimento di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Bari, Valenzano, Italy
Parasit Vectors 6:16. 2013..In addition, this article provides the authors' opinion on some topics related to VBH that would deserve further scientific investigation...
- Genome sequence, comparative analysis and haplotype structure of the domestic dogKerstin Lindblad-Toh
Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, 320 Charles Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141, USA
Nature 438:803-19. 2005..The current SNP map now makes it possible for genome-wide association studies to identify genes responsible for diseases and traits, with important consequences for human and companion animal health...
- Control of visceral leishmaniasis in latin america-a systematic reviewGustavo A S Romero
Nucleo de Medicina Tropical, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Brasilia, Brasilia, Distrito Federal, Brazil
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4:e584. 2010....
- Babesiosis in dogs and cats--expanding parasitological and clinical spectraLaia Solano-Gallego
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College of London, Hawkshead Lane, North Mymms, Hatfield, Herts AL9 7TA, UK
Vet Parasitol 181:48-60. 2011..Accurate detection and species recognition are important for the selection of the correct therapy and prediction of the course of disease...
- Canine leishmaniosis in the Old and New Worlds: unveiled similarities and differencesFilipe Dantas-Torres
Department of Immunology, Aggeu Magalhães Research Institute, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, 50670 420 Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Trends Parasitol 28:531-8. 2012..Finally, it calls the attention of veterinary and public health authorities to standardize and improve practices for diagnosing, treating, and preventing the disease...
- LeishVet guidelines for the practical management of canine leishmaniosisLaia Solano-Gallego
Department of Pathology and Infectious Diseases, Royal Veterinary College of London, London, UK
Parasit Vectors 4:86. 2011....
- Emerging arthropod-borne diseases of companion animals in EuropeFrederic Beugnet
Meria Animal Health, 69007, Lyon, France
Vet Parasitol 163:298-305. 2009..Here, after consideration of the main reasons for changes in tick vector ecology, an overview of each "emerging" vector-borne diseases of pets is presented...
- Transmission, reservoir hosts and control of zoonotic visceral leishmaniasisR J Quinnell
Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Parasitology 136:1915-34. 2009..Topical insecticides (deltamethrin-impregnated collars and pour-ons) have been shown to provide a high level of individual protection to treated dogs, but further community-level studies are needed...
- The synergistic action of imidacloprid and flumethrin and their release kinetics from collars applied for ectoparasite control in dogs and catsDorothee Stanneck
Bayer Animal Health GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany
Parasit Vectors 5:73. 2012..A new polymer matrix collar has recently been developed which is registered for 8 months use in cats and dogs. The basic properties of this collar have been investigated in several in vitro and in vivo studies...
- Canine leishmaniosis - new concepts and insights on an expanding zoonosis: part oneGad Baneth
School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University, PO Box 12, Rehovot, Israel
Trends Parasitol 24:324-30. 2008....
- Evidence for evolution of canine parvovirus type 2 in ItalyC Buonavoglia
Department of Animal Health and Well Being, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of Bari, s p per Casamassima km 3, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
J Gen Virol 82:3021-5. 2001..The failure of established typing methods to distinguish this antigenic variant was overcome by the development of an RFLP assay...
- A prospective study on the clinical features of chronic canine atopic dermatitis and its diagnosisClaude Favrot
Clinical for Small Animal Internal Medicine, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Dermatol 21:23-31. 2010..It is finally demonstrated that these new sets of criteria provide better sensitivity and specificity, when compared to Willemse and Prélaud criteria. These criteria can be applied to both FIAD and NFIAD dogs...
- Heartworm disease in animals and humansJohn W McCall
Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Adv Parasitol 66:193-285. 2008..repens in humans in Europe. The chapter concludes with a discussion on emerging strategies in heartworm treatment and control, highlighting the potential role of tetracycline antibiotics in adulticidal therapy...
- Role of pet dogs and cats in the transmission of helminthic zoonoses in Europe, with a focus on echinococcosis and toxocarosisPeter Deplazes
Institute of Parasitology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Parasitol 182:41-53. 2011..A close collaboration between veterinary and public health professionals in a 'One Health' concept is required...
- An ELISA for sensitive and specific detection of circulating antigen of Angiostrongylus vasorum in serum samples of naturally and experimentally infected dogsM Schnyder
Institute of Parasitology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 266a, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Parasitol 179:152-8. 2011..vasorum antigen by ELISA represents a valid alternative for reliable diagnosis and for follow-up investigations after anthelmintic treatment. Moreover, the test can be used for mass screening in large epidemiological investigations...
- Canine leishmaniasisJorge Alvar
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologia, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, 28220 Majadahonda, Madrid, Spain
Adv Parasitol 57:1-88. 2004....
- Evolution of clinical, haematological and biochemical findings in young dogs naturally infected by vector-borne pathogensDonato de Caprariis
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Zootecnia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Valenzano, BA, Italy
Vet Microbiol 149:206-12. 2011..vogeli or A. platys and Bartonella spp. co-infections. This study emphasizes the clinical difficulties associated with assigning a specific clinical sign or haematological abnormality to a particular canine vector-borne disease...
- Risk factors for canine leishmaniasis in an endemic Mediterranean regionSofia Cortes
Unidade de Leishmanioses, Instituto de Higiene e Medicina Tropical, Rua da Junqueira, 100, 1346 008 Lisboa, Portugal
Vet Parasitol 189:189-96. 2012..The future of CanL prevention and control rely on an integrated approach involving veterinarians, dog owners and health authorities in order to reduce the canine infection risk and consequently, the human zoonotic visceral leishmaniasis...
- Evaluation of the long-term efficacy and safety of an imidacloprid 10%/flumethrin 4.5% polymer matrix collar (Seresto®) in dogs and cats naturally infested with fleas and/or ticks in multicentre clinical field studies in EuropeDorothee Stanneck
Bayer Animal Health GmbH BAH, Monheim, Germany
Parasit Vectors 5:66. 2012....
- Efficacy of an imidacloprid/flumethrin collar against fleas, ticks, mites and lice on dogsDorothee Stanneck
Bayer HealthCare AG, Animal Health Division, 51368 Leverkusen, Germany
Parasit Vectors 5:102. 2012....
- The prevalence of canine Leishmania infantum infection in western China detected by PCR and serological testsJun yun Wang
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Parasit Vectors 4:69. 2011....
- Thelazia callipaeda: infection in dogs: a new parasite for SpainGuadalupe Miró
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, de Madrid, Spain
Parasit Vectors 4:148. 2011..Italy, France, Germany and Switzerland). In June 2010, the first case of canine thelaziosis was observed in central western Spain (La Vera region, Cáceres) and subsequent epidemiological investigation is reported in the present study...
- Application of 10% imidacloprid/50% permethrin to prevent Ehrlichia canis exposure in dogs under natural conditionsDomenico Otranto
Department of Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 153:320-8. 2008..canis at one or both follow-ups. ImPer, by virtue of its repellent and acaricidal activity against ticks, has been shown to be efficacious to prevent E. canis infection in treated dogs living under natural conditions in endemic areas...
- Prevalence of Leishmania infantum infection in dogs living in an area of canine leishmaniasis endemicity using PCR on several tissues and serologyL Solano-Gallego
Departament de Farmacologia i Terapeutica, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 39:560-3. 2001..The results showed that the majority of dogs living in an area where canine leishmaniasis is endemic are infected by Leishmania and that the prevalence of infection is much greater than the prevalence of overt Leishmania-related disease...
- A novel unstable duplication upstream of HAS2 predisposes to a breed-defining skin phenotype and a periodic fever syndrome in Chinese Shar-Pei dogsMia Olsson
Science for Life Laboratory, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden
PLoS Genet 7:e1001332. 2011..The identification of HA as a major risk factor for this canine disease raises the potential of this glycosaminoglycan as a risk factor for human periodic fevers and as an important driver of chronic inflammation...
- Infectiousness in a cohort of brazilian dogs: why culling fails to control visceral leishmaniasis in areas of high transmissionOrin Courtenay
Ecology and Epidemiology Group, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 186:1314-20. 2002..Mathematical modeling suggests that culling programs fail because of high incidence of infection and infectiousness, the insensitivity of the diagnostic test to detect infectious dogs, and time delays between diagnosis and culling...
- The role of dogs as reservoirs of Leishmania parasites, with emphasis on Leishmania (Leishmania) infantum and Leishmania (Viannia) braziliensisFilipe Dantas-Torres
Departamento de Imunologia, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, CP 7472, Recife 50670 420, Pernambuco, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 149:139-46. 2007..V.) braziliensis. In the present article, the role of dogs as reservoirs of Leishmania parasites, with emphasis on L. (L.) infantum and L. (V.) braziliensis, is reviewed...
- Detection of specific antibodies in dogs infected with Angiostrongylus vasorumA Schucan
Institute of Parasitology, Vetsuisse Faculty, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr 266a, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Vet Parasitol 185:216-24. 2012..The early detection of specific antibodies against A. vasorum by ELISA represents a valid alternative for a reliable diagnosis and for follow-up investigations after anthelmintic treatment...
- Incidence and time course of Leishmania infantum infections examined by parasitological, serologic, and nested-PCR techniques in a cohort of naive dogs exposed to three consecutive transmission seasonsGaetano Oliva
Unit of Vector borne Diseases and International Health, MIPI Department, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 44:1318-22. 2006....
- Role of dog behaviour and environmental fecal contamination in transmission of Echinococcus multilocularis in Tibetan communitiesA Vaniscotte
Department of Chrono Environment, UMR UFC CNRS 6249 aff INRA, University of Franche Comte, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Parasitology 138:1316-29. 2011..multilocularis peri-domestic cycles and to identify behavioural parameters required to model E. multilocularis transmission in this region...
- Protection against experimental visceral leishmaniasis infection in dogs immunized with purified excreted secreted antigens of Leishmania infantum promastigotesJean Loup Lemesre
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UR 008 Pathogénie des Trypanosomatidae, 911 Avenue Agropolis, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Vaccine 23:2825-40. 2005..infantum-infected CM-DM were co-cultured with autologous lymphocytes. Overall, our results support the view that a LiESAp vaccine might be useful in a promising vaccination approach against natural L. infantum infection...
- The origin and phylogeography of dog rabies virusHerve Bourhy
Institut Pasteur, UPRE Lyssavirus Dynamics and Host Adaptation, World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Rabies, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Gen Virol 89:2673-81. 2008..Overall, our study reveals that the stochastic processes of genetic drift and population subdivision are the most important factors shaping the global phylogeography of canid RABV...
- Vector-borne diseases--constant challenge for practicing veterinarians: recommendations from the CVBD World ForumGad Baneth
Koret School of Veterinary Medicine, The Robert H Smith Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environment, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem Rehovot, Israel
Parasit Vectors 5:55. 2012..As a result of these discussions, we, the members of the CVBD Forum have developed the following recommendations to veterinarians for the management of CVBDs...
- Protective immunity against challenge with Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasi in beagle dogs vaccinated with recombinant A2 proteinAna Paula Fernandes
Department of Clinical and Toxicological Analysis, School of Pharmacy, Federal University of Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Vaccine 26:5888-95. 2008....
- Response to a rabies epidemic, Bali, Indonesia, 2008-2011Anak Agung Gde Putra
Disease Investigation Center, Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia
Emerg Infect Dis 19:648-51. 2013..However, the incidence of dog bites remains high, and repeat campaigns are necessary to eliminate rabies in Bali...
- Genome-wide mRNA sequencing of a single canine cerebellar cortical degeneration case leads to the identification of a disease associated SPTBN2 mutationOliver P Forman
Kennel Club Genetics Centre, Animal Health Trust, Kentford, Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 7UU, UK
BMC Genet 13:55. 2012..We used genome-wide mRNA sequencing (mRNA-seq) of cerebellum tissue from a single Beagle with neonatal cerebellar cortical degeneration as a method of candidate gene sequencing, with the aim of identifying the causal mutation...
- Incidence of and survival after mammary tumors in a population of over 80,000 insured female dogs in Sweden from 1995 to 2002Agneta Egenvall
Department of Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, SE 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden
Prev Vet Med 69:109-27. 2005..At the ages 6, 8 and 10 years, 1%, 6% and 13% respectively, of all females had at least one MT claim. The MT mortality was 6 deaths per 10,000 DYAR and increased with age. The overall-case fatality was 6%...
- Canine angiostrongylosis: the French heartworm: an emerging threat in North AmericaG A Conboy
Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, PEI, Canada
Vet Parasitol 176:382-9. 2011..Current treatment options include moxidectin, milbemycin oxime, and fenbendazole...
- Molecular biological aspects on canine and human mammary tumorsP Rivera
Center of Clinical Comparative Oncology C3O, Department of Clinical Sciences, Division of Small Animals, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, PO Box 7054, S 750 07, Uppsala, Sweden
Vet Pathol 48:132-46. 2011..The findings in larger genomewide association analyses and cDNA expression arrays are described, and the BRCA1/BRCA2 complex is compared in detail between the 2 species...
- Growth hormone receptor (GHR) RNAi decreases proliferation and enhances apoptosis in CMT-U27 canine mammary carcinoma cell lineK M Pawłowski
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Physiological Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences WULS, Warsaw, Poland
Vet Comp Oncol 10:2-15. 2012..This study indicates that GHR besides proliferative effect promotes growth by increasing cell survival. It can tilt the balance between proliferation and death in cancer cells...
- Population genetic structure of the Staphylococcus intermedius group: insights into agr diversification and the emergence of methicillin-resistant strainsJeanette Bannoehr
Laboratory for Bacterial Evolution and Pathogenesis, Centre for Infectious Diseases, The Chancellor s Building, New Royal Infirmary, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4SB, Scotland
J Bacteriol 189:8685-92. 2007..pseudintermedius clones found on different continents. Taken together, these data have resolved the population genetic structure of the S. intermedius group, resulting in new insights into its ancient and recent evolution...
- Expression of IFN-gamma, TNF-alpha, IL-10 and TGF-beta in lymph nodes associates with parasite load and clinical form of disease in dogs naturally infected with Leishmania (Leishmania) chagasiCintia F Alves
Departamento de Parasitologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 128:349-58. 2009..Hence, the balance of expression of IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha (protective) and IL-10 and TGF-beta (disease progression) in lymph nodes determine parasite burden and clinical expression in naturally infected dogs...
- Classification and grading of canine mammary tumorsM Goldschmidt
Laboratory of Pathology and Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, 3900 Delancey Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Vet Pathol 48:117-31. 2011..These have been incorporated into the proposed new classification system. This article also compares the grading systems for canine mammary carcinomas and their use for prognosis, along with the histologic classification...
- Case report: First evidence of human zoonotic infection by Onchocerca lupi (Spirurida, Onchocercidae)Domenico Otranto
Department of Veterinary Public Health, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Valenzano, Italy
Am J Trop Med Hyg 84:55-8. 2011..lupi should be considered in the differential diagnosis of other eye parasitic infections in humans. The role of dogs as natural hosts of O. lupi and the vectors of this zoonotic parasite need to be investigated...
- Canine and feline infections by cardiopulmonary nematodes in central and southern ItalyAngela Di Cesare
Department of Comparative Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Teramo, Italy
Parasitol Res 109:S87-96. 2011..Larger surveys are necessary to gain more information on the diffusion of these parasites, especially for C. aerophila and A. vasorum, for which the actual distribution is poorly known...
- Tick-borne infections in dogs-an emerging infectious threatBruno Chomel
Department of Population Health and Reproduction, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Vet Parasitol 179:294-301. 2011....
- The current status of zoonotic leishmaniases and approaches to disease controlMarina Gramiccia
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie e Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Roma, Italy
Int J Parasitol 35:1169-80. 2005..Laboratory and field studies have shown improved efficacy of these preparations for both individual and mass protection...
- Clonal spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius in Europe and North America: an international multicentre studyVincent Perreten
Institute of Veterinary Bacteriology, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
J Antimicrob Chemother 65:1145-54. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine the phenotypic and genotypic resistance profiles of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius (MRSP) and to examine the clonal distribution in Europe and North America...
- Canine leishmaniosis--new concepts and insights on an expanding zoonosis: part twoGuadalupe Miró
Departmento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Trends Parasitol 24:371-7. 2008..Integrated prevention with topical insecticides reducing the feeding of vectors and vaccination blocking early infection would be the basis of successful control programs...
- Performance of a commercially available in-clinic ELISA for the detection of antibodies against Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Ehrlichia canis, and Borrelia burgdorferi and Dirofilaria immitis antigen in dogsRamaswamy Chandrashekar
Immunoassay R and D, IDEXX Laboratories, 1 IDEXX Dr, Westbrook, ME 04092, USA
Am J Vet Res 71:1443-50. 2010..To evaluate the sensitivity and specificity of a commercially available in-clinic ELISA for detection of heartworm infection and tick-borne diseases in dogs...
- Managing canine vector-borne diseases of zoonotic concern: part oneDomenico Otranto
Department of Veterinary Public Health, University of Bari, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Trends Parasitol 25:157-63. 2009....
- Advances in the pathogenesis of canine leishmaniosis: epidemiologic and diagnostic implicationsManolis N Saridomichelakis
Clinic of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Thessaly, Karditsa, Greece
Vet Dermatol 20:471-89. 2009....
- Zoonoses in the bedroomBruno B Chomel
Department of Population Health and Reproduction, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 17:167-72. 2011..The estimated percentage of pet owners who allow dogs and cats on their beds is 14%-62%. However, public health risks, including increased emergence of zoonoses, may be associated with such practices...
- Canine mammary gland tumorsKarin Sorenmo
University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Clinical Studies, 3900 Delancey Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 33:573-96. 2003....
- The veterinary and public health significance of hookworm in dogs and cats in Australia and the status of A. ceylanicumCarlysle S Palmer
WHO Collaborating Centre for Molecular Epidemiology of Parasitic Infections, School of Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences and Western Australian State Agricultural Biotechnology Centre, Murdoch University, Perth, Australia
Vet Parasitol 145:304-13. 2007....
- PCR detection of Angiostrongylus vasorum in faecal samples of dogs and foxesMohammad N S Al-Sabi
Department of Agriculture and Ecology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 40, 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Parasitol Res 107:135-40. 2010....
- Chemotherapy of canine leishmaniosisGad Baneth
School of Veterinary Medicine, Hebrew University, P O Box 12, 76100, Rehovot, Israel
Vet Parasitol 106:315-24. 2002..Due to the current lack of an ultimate and effective therapy for canine leishmaniosis, new drugs, delivery systems and treatment strategies are necessary to achieve a consistent parasitological cure in infected dogs...
- Chronic enteropathies in dogs: evaluation of risk factors for negative outcomeK Allenspach
Small Animal Teaching Hospital of the University of Bern, Department of Veterinary Clinical Medicine, Vetsuisse Faculty, Switzerland
J Vet Intern Med 21:700-8. 2007....
- Infectivity of seropositive dogs, showing different clinical forms of leishmaniasis, to Lutzomyia longipalpis phlebotomine sand fliesErika Monteiro Michalsky
Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou Fiocruz, Av Augusto de Lima, 1715, Barro Preto, Belo Horizonte, CEP 30190 002, MG, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 147:67-76. 2007..The lower infectivity rates of dogs displaying any of the last two clinical forms of leishmaniasis, however, must be taken into account in the epidemiology of CVL...
- Transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius between infected dogs and cats and contact pets, humans and the environment in households and veterinary clinicsE van Duijkeren
Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, PO Box 80165, 3508 TD Utrecht, Netherlands
Vet Microbiol 150:338-43. 2011....
- Canine leishmaniasis: epidemiological risk and the experimental modelJavier Moreno
WHO Collaborating Centre for Leishmaniasis, Servicio de Parasitologi a, Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ctra Majadahonda Pozuelo km 2, 28220 Majadahonda, Spain
Trends Parasitol 18:399-405. 2002..Such studies are essential to determine the basis of the canine protective immune response and to establish a laboratory model, a significant aspect for the development of vaccines against canine leishmaniasis...
- Acute phase proteins: Biomarkers of infection and inflammation in veterinary medicineP D Eckersall
Division of Animal Production and Public Health, Institute of Comparative Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G61 1QH, UK
Vet J 185:23-7. 2010....
- Advantages of real-time PCR assay for diagnosis and monitoring of canine leishmaniosisO Francino
Servei Veterinari de Genètica Molecular, Facultat de Veterinaria, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Vet Parasitol 137:214-21. 2006..The continuous data provided by real-time qPCR could solve the dilemma for the clinician managing cases of canine leishmaniosis by differentiating between Leishmania-infected dogs or dogs with active disease of leishmaniosis...
- Efficacy of a combination of 10% imidacloprid/50% permethrin for the prevention of leishmaniasis in kennelled dogs in an endemic areaDomenico Otranto
Department of Animal Health and Welfare, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Bari, Str Prov per Casamassima Km3, 70010 Valenzano Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 144:270-8. 2007..01). The results clearly show that a combination of imidacloprid 10% and permethrin 50%, by virtue of its repellent activity against sandflies, is effective under both application regimes in preventing CanL in the field in endemic areas...
- Humoral and cellular immune responses in dogs with inapparent natural Leishmania infantum infectionW Coura-Vital
Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Vet J 190:e43-7. 2011..Asymptomatic dogs appear to have a dichotomous infection spectrum that can influence the humoral and cellular immunological status during canine visceral leishmaniasis...
- Human benefits of animal interventions for zoonosis controlJakob Zinsstag
Swiss Tropical Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Emerg Infect Dis 13:527-31. 2007....
- Morphological and molecular data on the dermal microfilariae of a species of Cercopithifilaria from a dog in SicilyDomenico Otranto
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Zootecnia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, 70010 Valenzano, Bari, Italy
Vet Parasitol 182:221-9. 2011....
- Diagnosis of imported canine filarial infections in Germany 2008 - 2010Nikola Pantchev
Division of IDEXX Laboratories, Vet Med Labor GmbH, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Parasitol Res 109:S61-76. 2011..repens, A. reconditum or D. dracunculoides, whereas a topical moxidectin/imidacloprid formulation was able to eliminate microfilariae in one dog infected with A. reconditum...
- Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Ixodida, Ixodidae) as intermediate host of a canine neglected filarial species with dermal microfilariaeE Brianti
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria, Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Messina, Messina, Italy
Vet Parasitol 183:330-7. 2012..can ingest microfilariae, which develop up to the third infective stage thus suggesting that this tick species might act as an intermediate host of this little known canine filarioid...
- Efficacy of slow-release collar formulations of imidacloprid/flumethrin and deltamethrin and of spot-on formulations of fipronil/(s)-- methoprene, dinotefuran/pyriproxyfen/permethrin and (s) -methoprene/amitraz/fipronil against Rhipicephalus sanguineus anIvan G Horak
Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein 9301, South Africa
Parasit Vectors 5:79. 2012....
- The northward spread of leishmaniasis in Italy: evidence from retrospective and ongoing studies on the canine reservoir and phlebotomine vectorsMichele Maroli
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Trop Med Int Health 13:256-64. 2008..Northern continental Italy is now focally endemic for VL and a moderate risk for human disease does exist, although the intensity of transmission seems to be lower than in traditional settings of Mediterranean VL...
- The brown dog tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus (Latreille, 1806) (Acari: Ixodidae): from taxonomy to controlFilipe Dantas-Torres
Departamento de Imunologia, Centro de Pesquisas Aggeu Magalhaes, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Caixa Postal 7472, Avenida Professor Moraes Rego s n, Campus UFPE, Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Vet Parasitol 152:173-85. 2008..sanguineus, highlighting the potential risks associated to the improper use of acaricides, such as environmental pollution and toxicity to humans and other non-target organisms (e.g., tick predators)...
- New insights into the ecology and biology of Acanthocheilonema reconditum (Grassi, 1889) causing canine subcutaneous filariosisEmanuele Brianti
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica Veterinaria, Universita degli Studi di Messina, Messina, Italy
Parasitology 139:530-6. 2012..reconditum developing forms were detected in 5·1% (4/78) of dissected fleas, but not in any of the 272 ticks. The study provides new insights into the biology and ecology of this dog filarioid in its definitive and intermediate hosts...
- Epidemiologic and zoonotic aspects of ascarid infections in dogs and catsAlice C Y Lee
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Campus Road, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Trends Parasitol 26:155-61. 2010..Establishment of national surveillance programs to determine the incidence and specific etiological agent in human larva migrans patients would aid in the development of targeted intervention strategies...
- Prevalence, distribution and risk associated with tick infestation of dogs in Great BritainF D Smith
Veterinary Parasitology and Ecology Group, School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, U K
Med Vet Entomol 25:377-84. 2011..This study is of value because, unusually, it presents the results of a randomized sample of dogs and gives a prevalence which is higher than those previously recorded in Great Britain...
- Parasite density and impaired biochemical/hematological status are associated with severe clinical aspects of canine visceral leishmaniasisAlexandre B Reis
Laboratório de Parasitologia e Histopatologia, Núcleo de Pesquisas em Ciências Biológicas NUPEB, Instituto de Ciências Exatas e Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Rua Costa Sena, Minas Gerais, Brazil
Res Vet Sci 81:68-75. 2006..Finally, we believe that the follow-up of these parameters could be a relevant approach to be used as markers during therapeutic and vaccine evaluations...
- Transcriptomic "portraits" of canine mammary cancer cell lines with various phenotypesM Krol
Department of Physiological Sciences, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Warsaw University of Life Sciences SGGW, Warsaw, Poland
J Appl Genet 51:169-83. 2010..Metastatic properties of mammary cancer cells seem to be associated with elevated expression of PGP (P glycoprotein), SEMA3B (semaphorin 3B), and STIM1 (stromal interaction molecule 1)...
- Use of an activity monitor to detect response to treatment in dogs with osteoarthritisDorothy Cimino Brown
Department of Clinical Studies Philadelphia, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 237:66-70. 2010..To determine whether an activity monitor (AM) could be used to detect changes in activity in dogs with osteoarthritis treated with carprofen or a placebo...
- Prevalence of Dirofilaria immitis, Ehrlichia canis, Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, Anaplasma spp. and Leishmania infantum in apparently healthy and CVBD-suspect dogs in Portugal--a national serological studyLuis Cardoso
Department of Veterinary Sciences, School of Agrarian and Veterinary Sciences, University of Tras os Montes e Alto Douro, Vila Real, Portugal
Parasit Vectors 5:62. 2012..The present study aimed at assessing the seroprevalence of infection with or exposure to Dirofilaria immitis, Ehrlichia canis, Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato, Anaplasma spp. and Leishmania infantum in dogs in Portugal...
- Current situation of Leishmania infantum infection in shelter dogs in northern SpainGuadalupe Miró
Departamento de Sanidad Animal, Facultad de Veterinaria, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Parasit Vectors 5:60. 2012..Besides L. infantum infection, the epidemiological role of variables like sex, breed and age was also assessed...
- MTM1 mutation associated with X-linked myotubular myopathy in Labrador RetrieversAlan H Beggs
Division of Genetics and Program in Genomics, The Manton Center for Orphan Disease Research at Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:14697-702. 2010..These data demonstrate that XLMTM in Labrador Retrievers is a faithful genetic model of the human condition...
- Impact of canine control on the epidemiology of canine and human visceral leishmaniasis in BrazilC B Palatnik-de-Sousa
Department of General Microbiology, , Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 65:510-7. 2001....
- Association between anal sac gland carcinoma and dog leukocyte antigen-DQB1 in the English Cocker SpanielJ Aguirre-Hernandez
Department of Veterinary Medicine, University of Cambridge, Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK
Tissue Antigens 76:476-81. 2010....
- Macrocyclic lactone resistance in Dirofilaria immitisCatherine Bourguinat
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, 21111 Lakeshore Road, Sainte Anne de Bellevue, Quebec H9X3V9, Canada
Vet Parasitol 181:388-92. 2011..3% in microfilariae that survived repeated treatments with high doses of ML anthelmintics. The data show phenotypic and genotypic evidence of ML resistance in Dirofilaria immitis...
- Prevention of endemic canine vector-borne diseases using imidacloprid 10% and permethrin 50% in young dogs: a longitudinal field studyD Otranto
Dipartimento di Sanità Pubblica e Zootecnia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Valenzano, BA, Italy
Vet Parasitol 172:323-32. 2010..The results demonstrate that ImPer preventive treatment against arthropods protects autochthonous and naïve beagle dogs against CVBD-causing pathogens...
- Current status of human rabies transmitted by dogs in Latin AmericaMaria Cristina Schneider
Veterinary Public Health Unit, Pan American Health Organization, Washington, DC 20037 2895, USA
Cad Saude Publica 23:2049-63. 2007..Samples sent for rabies testing represent 0.05% of the estimated canine population (range: 0.001 to 0.2%). The countries are quite close to achieving the goal...
- Flea and tick control in the 21st century: challenges and opportunitiesMichael Wayne Dryden
Department of Diagnostic Medicine Pathobiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Vet Dermatol 20:435-40. 2009..These factors probably cause most real and perceived product failures...
- Cerebellar cortical degeneration with selective granule cell loss in Bavarian mountain dogsT Flegel
Department of Small Animal Medicine, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 23, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Small Anim Pract 48:462-5. 2007....
- Clinical, parasitologic, and immunologic evolution in dogs experimentally infected with sand fly-derived Leishmania chagasi promastigotesBruno L Travi
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 81:994-1003. 2009..On the basis of the data obtained from this study, a sample size analysis using different endpoints for future vaccine trials is described...
- A SYBR green real-time PCR assay for the detection of the nematode Angiostrongylus vasorum in definitive and intermediate hostsR Jefferies
School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1UG, United Kingdom
Vet Parasitol 166:112-8. 2009..Real-time quantitative PCR offers a more efficient means of detecting A. vasorum infection with a lower limit of detection than traditional diagnostic tests, and it therefore has important clinical and epidemiological applications...
- Prevalence of flea infestation in dogs and cats in Hungary combined with a survey of owner awarenessR Farkas
Department of Parasitology and Zoology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Szent Istvan University, Budapest, Hungary
Med Vet Entomol 23:187-94. 2009..Very few owners reported having attempted to kill fleas in their animals' environment; instead, they believed that fleas were acquired from other cats or dogs...
- The efficacy of collars impregnated with flumethrin and propoxur against experimental infestations of adult Rhipicephalus sanguineus on dogsL J Fourie
Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of the Free State, PO Box 339, Bloemfontein 9301, South Africa
J S Afr Vet Assoc 74:123-6. 2003..The mean tick counts on the 2 groups of collared dogs did not differ significantly (P < 0.0001) for any of the assessment days...
- Evidence of inheritance of intrahepatic portosystemic shunts in Irish WolfhoundsF G van Steenbeek
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Vet Intern Med 23:950-2. 2009..The etiogenesis of congenital portosystemic shunt in dogs is not understood. In Irish Wolfhounds, intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (IHPSS) is thought to be hereditary, but the mode of inheritance is unknown...
- Psychometric testing of the Helsinki chronic pain index by completion of a questionnaire in Finnish by owners of dogs with chronic signs of pain caused by osteoarthritisAnna K Hielm-Björkman
Department of Equine and Small Animal Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, FIN 00014, Finland
Am J Vet Res 70:727-34. 2009..To determine the validity, reliability, and sensitivity of a published chronic pain index by completion of a questionnaire in Finnish by owners of dogs with chronic signs of pain caused by osteoarthritis...
- Heartworm and Wolbachia: therapeutic implicationsJ W McCall
Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Vet Parasitol 158:204-14. 2008..Preliminary observations suggest that administration of DOXY+IVM for several months prior to (or without) MEL will eliminate adult HW with less potential for severe thromboembolism than MEL alone...
- Ability of the canine brief pain inventory to detect response to treatment in dogs with osteoarthritisDorothy Cimino Brown
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 233:1278-83. 2008..To determine whether the Canine Brief Pain Inventory (CBPI) can detect changes in dogs with osteoarthritis treated with an NSAID or a placebo...
- Ixodid tick species attaching to dogs in HungaryGábor Földvári
Department of Parasitology and Zoology, Faculty of Veterinary Science, St Istvan University, P O Box 2, Budapest H 1400, Hungary
Vet Parasitol 129:125-31. 2005..Our data contribute to the understanding of geographical and seasonal distribution of ixodid tick species infesting dogs in Hungary. The implication of these data, for the risk of canine tick borne diseases is discussed...
- Histological grading and prognosis in dogs with mammary carcinomas: application of a human grading methodM Karayannopoulou
Department of Clinical Studies, School of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, St Voutyra 11, 546 27, Thessaloniki, Greece
J Comp Pathol 133:246-52. 2005..001). Routine use of this human grading method would help the clinician to make a more accurate prognosis in the interests of post-surgical management in dogs with mammary carcinomas...
- Tick-borne infectious diseases of dogsS E Shaw
Dept of Clinical Veterinary Sciences, University of Bristol, Langford House, Langford, Bristol, UK BS40 5DU
Trends Parasitol 17:74-80. 2001....
- Failure of a multi-subunit recombinant leishmanial vaccine (MML) to protect dogs from Leishmania infantum infection and to prevent disease progression in infected animalsL Gradoni
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Parassitarie e Immunomediate, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena 299, 00161 Roma, Italy
Vaccine 23:5245-51. 2005..We conclude that vaccination with MML is not effective to prevent leishmaniasis infection and disease progression in dogs under field conditions...
- Transcription Regulation and Biological Function of NAG1SEUNG BAEK; Fiscal Year: 2005..Cancer and inflammation are certainly environmentally relevant problems and thus this project will provide new clues to aid in the understanding of how these drugs alter tumor development. ..
- AUTOSOMAL MECHANISMS OF TESTIS INDUCTIONVICKI MEYERS WALLEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..At the end of this grant period, we will have identified the gene causing this disorder and the step in the testis pathway that is altered by the mutation in timing, quantity, or location of gene expression. ..
- Enteric flora modulates the development of colitisAlbert Jergens; Fiscal Year: 2008..g., graduate students and postdoctoral fellow). There are ample opportunities to attend seminars, journal clubs and work-in-progress research meetings during which the applicant can become engaged in scientific discussions. ..
- Interdisciplinary Research Training for VeterinariansLisa Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2008..These evaluations, continued refinement, and the commitment of the program faculty will help to ensure that this becomes a self-sustaining program. ..
- The molecular basis for an animal model of inherited hyperuricosuriaDanika Bannasch; Fiscal Year: 2007..The elucidation of a novel gene function should provide new avenues of investigation for the treatment of the human condition. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Canine Brain Tumors - A New Model for Gene DiscoveryMatthew Breen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Characterization of these genetic loci will help to improve the definition of molecular risk and prognosis of human and canine brain tumors, with a potentially major impact on human health. ..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Does the research address a current and compelling problem of antimicrobial resistance that is of high public health importance and for which research is needed? [yes]. ..
- Cell-FIV: Mucosal transmission and interventionMARY BURKHARD; Fiscal Year: 2005..Vaginal challenge with cell-associated FIV will test the correlates of protection. ..
- Helicobacter pylori: Pathogenesis and VirulenceKenneth Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Canine model for assessing CNS access P-gp substratesKATRINA MEALEY; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Natural History of Borrelia lonestariSusan Little; Fiscal Year: 2006..S., enhancing public health efforts in those areas where people are risk of infection; reduction in human disease from these pathogens should result. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alloantigen exposure influences infection thresholdMARY BURKHARD; Fiscal Year: 2006..Because these therapies would work in a virus non-specific manner, they would have potential use at the population level against multiple virus subtypes. ..
- Nitogen reduction and xenobiotic responseLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal of these studies is to find better ways to prevent these adverse reactions. ..
- Measure Validation and RCT- Dog Bone Cancer Pain ModelDorothy Brown; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Trafficking, persistence and evolution of HIV in the CNSPeter Simmonds; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF FELINE SPINAL MUSCULAR ATROPHYJOHN FYFE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Initial candidate genes will be those implicated in human SMA, but otherwise a comparative positional-candidate gene approach will be taken. ..
- NEURONAL DEGENERATION HEREDITARY CEROID-LIPOFUSCINOSISMartin Katz; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Protective Glycopeptide Immunodeterminants of Ehrlichia chaffeensisJere W McBride; Fiscal Year: 2010..chaffeensis. HME is an emerging public health concern, and this research will facilitate rational development of vaccines and therapeutics against the most prevalent life-threatening tick- borne disease in North America. ..
- Molecular Mechanism of Polarized Cubilin ExpressionJOHN FYFE; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results of these efforts are expected to open a window onto a new aspect of nutrient absorption and membrane receptor biology. ..
- Targeted Intervention Against EphA2 on Cancer CellsDEBORAH KNAPP; Fiscal Year: 2004..Upon conclusion of our studies, we will have validated EphA2 as a molecular target for cancer treatment and will have generated the reagents and expertise to exploit a critical vulnerability on malignant cells. ..
- Tissue engineered osteochondral patella resurfacingJames Cook; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CELL ASSOCIATED FIV--VAGINAL TRANSMISSION AND PROTECTIONMARY BURKHARD; Fiscal Year: 2003..Vaginal challenge with cell-associated FIV will test the correlates of protection. ..
- Pilot Study--Cox2 Inhibitor in Invasive Bladder CancerDEBORAH KNAPP; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Nipah Virus Marker Vaccine and Companion Diagnostic TestJames Roth; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- MURINE MODEL FOR MONKEY B VIRUS INFECTIONJERRY RITCHEY; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of the survival motor neuron geneCHARLOTTE SUMNER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Influence of cell-bound Stx on cytokine productionSHANNON HOSTETTER; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteomic Discovery of Biomaterial AntigensE Orton; Fiscal Year: 2007..e. tissue engineering). This application provides information about immune rejection of biomaterials that must be better understood before animal tissues can be used in tissue engineering. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- US with Submicron Bubbles for Sentinel Node DetectionErik Wisner; Fiscal Year: 2004..Successful completion of this study will lead to an alternative method for intra-operative sentinel node localization that may obviate many of the limitations of current techniques. ..
- ITO IN DOGS WITH INHERITED VENTRICULAR ARRHYTHMIASBruce Kornreich; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Developing Avirulent Rabies Virus VaccinesZhen F Fu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Such characterists will make these recombinant RV vaccines particularly suitable for post-exposure treatment. ..
- c-Kit Mutations and Their Role in Tumor BiologyCheryl London; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Transfer Therapy for Alport SyndromeGeorge Lees; Fiscal Year: 2007..It will also lay the foundation for gene transfer therapy of other glomerular iseases. ..
- Gene Therapy of Autosomal Recessive RPSimon Petersen Jones; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- TRANSMISSION ELECTRON MICROSCOPEMartin Katz; Fiscal Year: 2006..Broadening the user base will help make the cost per user of maintaining the instrument as low as possible. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Comparison of US and European Babesia divergens IsolatesPatricia Holman; Fiscal Year: 2004..The molecular aspects may provide information that will be useful in future efforts to devise diagnostic tests. ..
- MRI, MIT, and MRS of MPS VII and Krabbe DiseaseCharles Vite; Fiscal Year: 2003..x0a; ..
- ANTIGEN PRESENTATION IN MALARIA INFECTIONAnne Avery; Fiscal Year: 2002..This is particularly important when planning vaccine strategies for endemic areas, where vaccines are likely to already harbor a malaria infection which could alter the way their immune system handles antigen. ..
- Vaccine induced resistance against E. granulosus in dogsWenbao Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..granulosus infection by vaccination with the recombinant proteins. We will test humoral and cellular responses generated during vaccination to determine possible correlations of the immune parameters with protection. ..