Genomes and Genes
Summary: INFLAMMATION of the placental membranes (CHORION; AMNION) and connected tissues such as fetal BLOOD VESSELS and UMBILICAL CORD. It is often associated with intrauterine ascending infections during PREGNANCY.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Impact of subclinical chorioamnionitis on maternal and neonatal outcomesKen Miyazaki
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Japanese Red Cross Nagoya First Hospital, Nagoya 453 8511, Japan
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:191-7. 2007b>Chorioamnionitis is considered to be one of the main causes of preterm labor and has been associated with an adverse perinatal outcome in preterm infants...
- Preterm premature rupture of membranes and neonatal outcome prior to 34 weeks of gestationH M Tanir
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 82:167-72. 2003..To investigate the impact of preterm premature rupture of membranes on neonatal outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis: a multiorgan disease of the fetus?M Gantert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Klinikum Osnabruck, Osnabruck, Germany
J Perinatol 30:S21-30. 2010The bacterial infection of chorion and amnion is a common finding in premature delivery and is referred to as chorioamnionitis. As the mother rarely shows symptoms of a systemic inflammation, the course of chorioamnionitis is frequently ..
- Endotoxin induced chorioamnionitis prevents intestinal development during gestation in fetal sheepTim G A M Wolfs
Department of Surgery, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e5837. 2009b>Chorioamnionitis is the most significant source of prenatal inflammation and preterm delivery...
- A fetal response to chorioamnionitis is associated with early survival after preterm birthMonica M Lahra
RPA Newborn Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, and the University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:147-51. 2004..was to determine, in a large preterm cohort (20-34 completed weeks of gestation), the incidence of histologic chorioamnionitis and the incidence of a histologic fetal response to chorioamnionitis (umbilical vasculitis with or without ..
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy: a meta-analysisJobe G Shatrov
School of Medicine, Sydney, The University of Notre Dame Australia and Cerebral Palsy Institute, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
Obstet Gynecol 116:387-92. 2010To examine the relationships between clinical or histological chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy using a meta-analysis approach.
- Dose and time response after intraamniotic endotoxin in preterm lambsB W Kramer
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3039, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:982-8. 2001Intraamniotic endotoxin causes chorioamnionitis, which is followed by improved fetal lung function after 4 d in fetal sheep. We evaluated 0.1 mg, 1 mg, 4 mg, and 10 mg endotoxin for inflammation and lung maturation effects after 7 d...
- Amniotic infection syndrome: nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patternsRaymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 6:435-48. 2003..6, substantial. Kappa values for the 12 lesions evaluated in 20 cases by the six pathologists were: acute chorioamnionitis/maternal inflammatory response (any, 0.93; severe 0.76; advanced stage, 0...
- Prematurity, chorioamnionitis, and the development of recurrent wheezing: a prospective birth cohort studyRajesh Kumar
Division of Allergy, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:878-84.e6. 2008Prematurity (< 37 weeks) has been inconsistently associated with asthma and wheezing. Chorioamnionitis may promote both prematurity and inflammatory pathways in infants' airways.
- Prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a multicenter trialKristi L Watterberg
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, MSC10 5590, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Pediatrics 114:1649-57. 2004..A pilot study of low-dose hydrocortisone therapy for prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency showed improved survival without BPD at 36 weeks' postmenstrual age, particularly in infants exposed to histologic chorioamnionitis.
- Clinical chorioamnionitis, elevated cytokines, and brain injury in term infantsLina F Shalak
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390-9063, USA
Pediatrics 110:673-80. 2002..To determine the initial inflammatory cytokine response in term infants born to mothers with clinical chorioamnionitis and to assess whether the cytokine response is associated with birth depression, abnormal neurologic ..
- Intra-amniotic endotoxin: chorioamnionitis precedes lung maturation in preterm lambsS G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L527-36. 2001....
- Widespread microbial invasion of the chorioamniotic membranes is a consequence and not a cause of intra-amniotic infectionMi Jeong Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lab Invest 89:924-36. 2009Acute chorioamnionitis is a response to amniotic fluid (AF) infection...
- Inflammation and bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080, Wurzburg, Germany
Semin Neonatol 8:29-38. 2003....
- Planned early birth versus expectant management for women with preterm prelabour rupture of membranes prior to 37 weeks' gestation for improving pregnancy outcomeSarah L Buchanan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia, 2065
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004735. 2010..32, 95% CI 1.33 to 4.07), but that early delivery had no effect on chorioamnionitis (RR 0.44, 95% CI 0.17 to 1.14)...
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy in term and near-term infantsYvonne W Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
JAMA 290:2677-84. 2003Half of all cases of cerebral palsy (CP) occur in term infants, for whom risk factors have not been clearly defined. Recent studies suggest a possible role of chorioamnionitis.
- Effect of chorioamnionitis on early childhood asthmaDarios Getahun
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California Medical Group, 100 Los Robles Ave, 2nd Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:187-92. 2010To examine the association between chorioamnionitis and childhood asthma based on gestational age at birth and race/ethnicity.
- Characterization of chorioamnionitis in 2nd-trimester C-section placentas and correlation with microorganism recovery from subamniotic tissuesJonathan L Hecht
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:15-22. 2008..Recovery of microorganisms from placental parenchyma is associated with histologic inflammation. The same microorganisms responsible for inciting high-grade chorionic plate inflammation are also most likely to promote fetal inflammation...
- Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 in the chorioamniotic membranes in spontaneous labor at term and in preterm parturition that are associated with chorioamnionitisYeon Mee Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development/NIH/DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1346-55. 2004..Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 expression in fetal membranes in response to labor at term and histologic chorioamnionitis. STUDY DESIGN: Immunohistochemistry and real-time quantitative reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain ..
- Population cohort associating chorioamnionitis, cord inflammatory cytokines and neurologic outcome in very preterm, extremely low birth weight infantsTuula Kaukola
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, FIN-90014 Oulu, Finland
Pediatr Res 59:478-83. 2006..We investigated the relationship between chorioamnionitis, cord serum cytokines, and neurologic outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis, postnatal factors and proinflammatory response in the pathogenetic sequence of bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Neonatology 95:353-61. 2009..Pre- and postnatal factors such as chorioamnionitis, oxygen toxicity, mechanical ventilation and postnatal infections can induce and perpetuate an injurious and ..
- The role of proteomics in the diagnosis of chorioamnionitis and early-onset neonatal sepsisIrina A Buhimschi
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, LLCI 804, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:355-74. 2010..Discovery of clinically and biologically relevant biomarkers able to reveal key pathogenic pathways and predict pregnancies at risk for antenatal fetal damage is a priority. Proteomics provides a unique opportunity to fill this gap...
- Prenatal inflammation and lung developmentBoris W Kramer
Department of kindergeneeskunde, Academisch Ziekenhuis Maastricht, Postbus 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:2-7. 2009Prenatal exposure of very low birth weight infants to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis with organisms such as mycoplasma and ureaplasma is frequent...
- Prevalence, management, and outcomes of preterm prelabour rupture of the membranes of women in CanadaGraeme Smith
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 27:547-53. 2005..3%. Overall, 53% of placentas submitted for histopathology after PPROM demonstrated evidence of chorioamnionitis. In the retrospective chart review, we found 153 cases of confirmed PPROM from January 1999 to December 2001,..
- Chorioamnionitis, mechanical ventilation, and postnatal sepsis as modulators of chronic lung disease in preterm infantsLinda J Van Marter
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr 140:171-6. 2002OBJECTIVE: This case-control study of chronic lung disease (CLD) evaluated the hypothesis that chorioamnionitis promotes CLD and interacts with other risk factors for CLD, including mechanical ventilation and postnatal infection...
- MMP-9 and TIMP-1 in the cord blood of premature infants developing BPDShinnosuke Fukunaga
Department of Pediatrics, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Yamaguchi, Japan
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:267-72. 2009..030, respectively). The MMP-9 levels and MMP-9/TIMP-1 ratios correlated with the severity of maternal chorioamnionitis (both trend P = 0.006)...
- The frequency and risk factors of funisitis and histologic chorioamnionitis in pregnant women at term who delivered after the spontaneous onset of laborSeung Mi Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:37-42. 2011To examine the frequency and risk factors of funisitis and histologic chorioamnionitis in the placentas of term pregnant women who delivered after the spontaneous onset of labor.
- The importance of intra-amniotic inflammation in the subsequent development of atypical chronic lung diseaseJoonho Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22:917-23. 2009..To examine whether the intra-amniotic inflammation is a risk factor for the development of atypical chronic lung disease (CLD)...
- Regulation of interleukin-6 expression in human decidual cells and its potential role in chorioamnionitisCharles J Lockwood
Department of Obstetrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
Am J Pathol 177:1755-64. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis frequently precedes both genital tract and placental inflammation and is both a primary cause of maternal morbidity and a major antecedent of preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM) as well as preterm delivery (..
- Chorioamnionitis and the prognosis for term infantsJ M Alexander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 94:274-8. 1999To assess the effects of clinical chorioamnionitis and labor complications on short-term neonatal morbidity, including seizures.
- Antenatal steroids and neonatal outcome after chorioamnionitis: a meta-analysisJ V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
BJOG 118:113-22. 2011There is debate concerning the safety and efficacy of antenatal steroids in preterm labour with suspected intrauterine infection (chorioamnionitis).
- Placental lesions as predictors of cerebral palsy and abnormal neurocognitive function at school age in extremely low birth weight infants (<1 kg)Raymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, Case School of Medicine and Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 10:282-92. 2007..Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) was not predictive of outcome in the population as a whole, but a severe fetal vascular response was ..
- Chorioamnionitis and pregnancy outcome in HIV-infected African women. Pregnancy and HIV Study GroupJ Ladner
Medical Information Unit, Centre Hospitalier de Kigali, Rwanda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 18:293-8. 1998To assess the role of chorioamnionitis (CAM) on pregnancy outcome in HIV-1-infected (HIV-positive) pregnant women, treated for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), during the last trimester of pregnancy in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Fetal thymus size as a predictor of chorioamnionitis in women with preterm premature rupture of membranesY Yinon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 29:639-43. 2007Emerging evidence indicates that chorioamnionitis is associated with a significant decrease in thymic size at birth in very low birth weight (VLBW) preterm infants...
- C-reactive protein in umbilical cord blood: a simple and widely available clinical method to assess the risk of amniotic fluid infection and funisitisB H Yoon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Laboratory of Fetal Medicine Research, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 14:85-90. 2003..69%, p < 0.05; 83% vs. 76%, p < 0.01). CONCLUSION: Umbilical cord plasma CRP concentrations were elevated in patients with amniotic fluid infection, congenital neonatal sepsis and funisitis...
- Preterm histologic chorioamnionitis: impact on cord gas and pH values and neonatal outcomeBryan S Richardson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Joseph s Health Care, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:1357-65. 2006The purpose of this study was to further delineate the impact of preterm chorioamnionitis on a spectrum of neonatal outcomes using a large tertiary hospital population.
- Chronic chorioamnionitis displays distinct alterations of the amniotic fluid proteomeGiovanna Ogge
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Pathol 223:553-65. 2011Acute chorioamnionitis of infectious origin and chronic chorioamnionitis of immunological origin are two major placental lesions of spontaneous preterm birth with elevated amniotic fluid interleukin-6 and CXCL10 concentrations, ..
- Chorioamnionitis induced by intraamniotic lipopolysaccharide resulted in an interval-dependent increase in central nervous system injury in the fetal sheepA W Danilo Gavilanes
Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University Hospital Maastricht, in collaboration with the Research Institute of Growth and Development GROW, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:437.e1-8. 2009We quantified the impact of chorioamnionitis on both the white and gray matter structures of the preterm ovine central nervous system (CNS).
- Chorioamnionitis decreased incidence of respiratory distress syndrome by elevating fetal interleukin-6 serum concentrationK Shimoya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Osaka University, Suita City, Japan
Hum Reprod 15:2234-40. 2000..The interleukin-6 (IL-6) titre in cord sera of RDS-free neonates born to mothers with histological chorioamnionitis was significantly higher than that in RDS-complicated neonates without chorioamnionitis...
- Hemodynamic disturbances in premature infants born after chorioamnionitis: association with cord blood cytokine concentrationsToby Debra Yanowitz
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pediatr Res 51:310-6. 2002b>Chorioamnionitis and elevated cord blood inflammatory cytokine concentrations are associated with detectable disturbances of systemic and cerebral hemodynamics in premature newborns. Fifty-five infants (25-31 wk gestation) were enrolled...
- Evidence of changes in the immunophenotype and metabolic characteristics (intracellular reactive oxygen radicals) of fetal, but not maternal, monocytes and granulocytes in the fetal inflammatory response syndromeSun Kwon Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD, NIH, DHHS, Wayne State University Hutzel Women s Hospital, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Perinat Med 37:543-52. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine whether fetal and maternal granulocytes and monocytes have the phenotypic and metabolic characteristics of activation in cases with FIRS...
- Damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) in preterm labor with intact membranes and preterm PROM: a study of the alarmin HMGB1Roberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Wayne State University Hutzel Women s Hospital, 3990 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1444-55. 2011..intra-amniotic infection/inflammation (IAI) is associated with changes in amniotic fluid concentrations of HMGB1; and (2) localize immunoreactivity of HMGB1 in the fetal membranes and umbilical cord of patients with chorioamnionitis.
- Histologic chorioamnionitis is more common after spontaneous labor than after induced labor at termH S Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Graduate School of Medicine, Dongguk University, Seoul, South Korea
Placenta 31:792-5. 2010Inflammation of the chorioamniotic membranes (histologic chorioamnionitis) is a risk factor for adverse neonatal outcome...
- Thymic changes after chorioamnionitis induced by intraamniotic lipopolysaccharide in fetal sheepSteffen Kunzmann
University Children s Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:476.e1-9. 2010..We asked whether fetal inflammation caused by chorioamnionitis would modulate thymus development.
- Untreated asymptomatic group B streptococcal bacteriuria early in pregnancy and chorioamnionitis at deliveryBrenna L Anderson
Division of Reproductive Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:524.e1-5. 2007..The objective of the study was to determine the frequency of adverse pregnancy outcomes in women with untreated asymptomatic group B beta-hemolytic streptococcal (GBS) bacteriuria during pregnancy...
- Minimal lung and systemic responses to TNF-alpha in preterm sheepMachiko Ikegami
Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Division of Pulmonary Biology, 3333 Burnet Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 285:L121-9. 2003TNF-alpha has been associated with chorioamnionitis and the subsequent development of bronchopulmonary dysplasia in preterm infants...
- Umbilical cord blood concentrations of IL-6, IL-8, and MMP-8 in pregnancy complicated by preterm premature rupture of the membranes and histological chorioamnionitisCtirad Andrys
Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Charles UniversityPrague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:857-63. 2010..interleukin-8 (IL-8), and matrix metalloproteinase-8 (MMP-8) are of value in the diagnosis of histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) and funisitis in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM)...
- Accuracy of C-reactive protein determination in predicting chorioamnionitis and neonatal infection in pregnant women with premature rupture of membranes: a systematic reviewRafli van de Laar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 147:124-9. 2009..The aim of this review was to assess whether CRP accurately predicts chorioamnionitis and/or neonatal sepsis in women with PPROM...
- Chorioamnionitis and increased neonatal lung lavage fluid matrix metalloproteinase-9 levels: implications for antenatal origins of chronic lung diseaseAnna E Curley
Department of Child Health, Queen s University of Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:871-5. 2003..We studied the effects of chorioamnionitis and antenatal corticosteroids on bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid levels of MMP-9, and its inhibitor, TIMP-..
- Funisitis in term pregnancy is associated with microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity and intra-amniotic inflammationSi Eun Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 19:693-7. 2006..CONCLUSION: Funisitis is present in 4% of women at term and is associated with microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity (MIAC) and inflammation as reflected by increased AF WBC count...
- The Alabama Preterm Birth study: polymorphonuclear and mononuclear cell placental infiltrations, other markers of inflammation, and outcomes in 23- to 32-week preterm newborn infantsWilliam W Andrews
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233 1602, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:803-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to better understand the relationship between placental polymorphonuclear and mononuclear cell infiltrations with bacterial cultures, markers of inflammation, and preterm outcomes...
- Value of amniotic fluid interleukin-8 for the prediction of histological chorioamnionitis in preterm premature rupture of membranesMarian Kacerovsky
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine Hradec Kralove, University Hospital Hradec Kralove, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 30:733-8. 2009To determine whether amniotic fluid levels of interleukin-8 (IL-8) are of value in the antenatal diagnosis of acute histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) in preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM).
- The frequency, clinical significance, and pathological features of chronic chorioamnionitis: a lesion associated with spontaneous preterm birthChong Jai Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Mod Pathol 23:1000-11. 2010Acute chorioamnionitis is a well-established lesion of the placenta in cases with intra-amniotic infection. In contrast, the clinicopathological significance of chronic chorioamnionitis is unclear...
- Neonatal morbidity and placental pathologyRajeev Mehta
Department of Pediatrics, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Indian J Pediatr 73:25-8. 2006..To investigate the association between gestational age, placental pathology and outcome among preterm births...
- Chorioamnionitis increases neonatal morbidity in pregnancies complicated by preterm premature rupture of membranesPatrick S Ramsey
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, 458 Old Hillman Building, 619 19th St South, Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:1162-6. 2005To compare morbidities of neonates born to women who developed chorioamnionitis after premature preterm rupture of membranes versus those who did not.
- Special relationships between fetal inflammatory response syndrome and bronchopulmonary dysplasia in neonatesRobert Mittendorf
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Perinat Med 33:428-34. 2005....
- Villitis of unknown etiology is associated with a distinct pattern of chemokine up-regulation in the feto-maternal and placental compartments: implications for conjoint maternal allograft rejection and maternal anti-fetal graft-versus-host diseaseMi Jeong Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 and Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Immunol 182:3919-27. 2009..In contrast to acute chorioamnionitis of infection-related origin, the fundamental immunopathology of VUE is unknown...
- Puerperal adrenal abscess complicating chorioamnionitisR Eitan
Obstetrics and Gynecology, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Jerusalem, Israel
Obstet Gynecol 99:909-11. 2002..We present a case report of chorioamnionitis complicated by a puerperal adrenal abscess diagnosed and drained percutaneously using ultrasound and computed ..
- Diagnosis and management of clinical chorioamnionitisAlan T N Tita
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 19th South, Birmingham, AL 3524, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:339-54. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis is a common complication of pregnancy associated with significant maternal, perinatal, and long-term adverse outcomes...
- The severity of chorioamnionitis in pregnant sheep is associated with in vivo variation of the surface-exposed multiple-banded antigen/gene of Ureaplasma parvumChristine L Knox
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, and School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Biol Reprod 83:415-26. 2010..005), and ureaplasma titers were inversely related to the number of variants (P = 0.025). The severity of chorioamnionitis varied between animals...
- Intrauterine infection may be a major cause of stillbirth in SwedenE Tolockiene
Department of Pathology, University of Lund, Lund, Sweden
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 80:511-8. 2001AIM OF THE STUDY: To investigate intrauterine infection as a cause for unexplained stillbirth. METHODS: Chorioamnionitis was studied in a material of stillbirths (117 subjects from the years 1985-1994) from a region in the south Sweden...
- Interleukin-1beta in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of premature neonates: a marker for maternal chorioamnionitis and predictor of adverse neonatal outcomeR G Cayabyab
Division of Neonatology and Allergy/Immunology, Department of Pediatrics, Women's and Children's Hospital, LAC and USC Medical Center, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 14:205-11. 2003..initial tracheal aspirate positive for IL-1beta had a highly significant correlation with documented maternal chorioamnionitis for the given patient...
- Maternal versus fetal inflammation and respiratory distress syndrome: a 10-year hospital cohort studyM M Lahra
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F13-6. 2009To determine the impact of maternal and fetal intrauterine inflammatory responses (chorioamnionitis and umbilical vasculitis) on the development of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in preterm infants.
- Meconium-stained amniotic fluid and neonatal morbidity in near-term and term deliveries with acute histologic chorioamnionitis and/or funisitisS Rao
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Women's and Children's Hospital, 1240 North Mission Road, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Perinatol 21:537-40. 2001..amniotic fluid (MSAF) and neonatal morbidity in near-term and term deliveries with histologic acute chorioamnionitis and/or funisitis compared to those with normal placental histology...
- Chorioamnionitis: important risk factor or innocent bystander for neonatal outcome?Wolfgang Thomas
University Children s Hospital Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Neonatology 99:177-87. 2011b>Chorioamnionitis as a major risk factor for spontaneous preterm birth, especially at earlier gestational ages, contributes to prematurity-associated mortality and morbidity...
- Maternal and fetal inflammatory responses in unexplained fetal deathS Blackwell
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University/Hutzel Hospital, Detroit, Michigan, 48201, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 14:151-7. 2003..Histological examination of the placenta was conducted to identify a maternal inflammatory response (acute chorioamnionitis) or a fetal inflammatory response (funisitis)...
- Correlation between placental histopathology and fetal/neonatal outcome: chorioamnionitis and funisitis are associated to intraventricular haemorrage and retinopathy of prematurity in preterm newbornsFrancesca Moscuzza
Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, S Chiara Hospital University of Pisa, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 27:319-23. 2011..Placental anatomopathologic lesions are usually associated with pregnancy complications and neonatal impaired outcome...
- Changes in placental CRH, urocortins, and CRH-receptor mRNA expression associated with preterm delivery and chorioamnionitisMichela Torricelli
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics, and Reproductive Medicine, University of Siena, 53100, Siena, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:534-40. 2011..The pathogenesis of preterm delivery (PTD) is not clear, although inflammation/infection play a major role. Corticotropin releasing-hormone (CRH) and Urocortins (Ucns) are involved in the pathophysiology of PTD...
- Facklamia hominis causing chorioamnionitis and puerperal bacteraemiaB Healy
Microbiology Cardiff, NPHS Wales, UHW, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
J Infect 50:353-5. 2005
- Chorioamnionitis: a risk factor for fetal and neonatal morbidityRodolfo Bracci
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Reproductive Medicine, University of Siena, Italy
Biol Neonate 83:85-96. 2003..Proxies of intrauterine infection include clinical chorioamnionitis, histological chorioamnionitis and intraamniotic increase in cytokines, which have been found to be ..
- Endotoxin-induced chorioamnionitis modulates innate immunity of monocytes in preterm sheepBoris W Kramer
University Children s Hospital, Josef Schneider Str 2, 97080 Wuerzburg, Germany
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:73-7. 2005..Although the preterm fetus is frequently exposed to chorioamnionitis, the effects of exposure of the fetal lung to inflammation on innate immune responses are unknown...
- Antenatal inflammation induced TGF-beta1 but suppressed CTGF in preterm lungsSteffen Kunzmann
Department of Pediatrics, Academisch Ziekenhuis Maastricht, Postbus 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292:L223-31. 2007b>Chorioamnionitis is frequently associated with preterm birth and increases the risk of adverse outcomes such as bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD)...
- High compared with standard gentamicin dosing for chorioamnionitis: a comparison of maternal and fetal serum drug levelsGregory J Locksmith
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
Obstet Gynecol 105:473-9. 2005To compare umbilical cord and maternal serum peak gentamicin concentration, gentamicin elimination, and clinical outcomes between women who received once-daily compared with standard, thrice-daily dosing for clinical chorioamnionitis.
- Apoptosis in the chorion laeve of term patients with histologic chorioamnionitisA P Murtha
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 10:93-6. 2002..The objective of this investigation was to determine if apoptosis was increased in the chorion laeve of term patients with and without histologic chorioamnionitis.
- Increase of interleukin-6 in tracheal aspirate at birth: a predictor of subsequent bronchopulmonary dysplasia in preterm infantsChang Won Choi
Clinical Research Institute, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Gyeonggi-do, Korea
Acta Paediatr 95:38-43. 2006..CONCLUSION: IL-6 in TA at birth can be used as a predictor of BPD in combination with the presence of PDA...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia and chorioamnionitis after recurrent marsupialization of a bartholin abscessDavid M Sherer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Obstet Gynecol 114:471-2. 2009Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is an extremely rare etiology of chorioamnionitis.
- Efficacy of ciprofloxacin in an experimental model of Escherichia coli chorioamnionitis in rabbitsElise Launay
Departement de Perinatologie, Hôpital Mère Enfant CHU Nantes, Nantes Cedex 1, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:1624-7. 2009Pregnant rabbits were treated with ciprofloxacin alone or with gentamicin in a model of Escherichia coli chorioamnionitis, and the results were compared with those for untreated rabbits...
- Histological chorioamnionitis and respiratory outcome in preterm infantsJ V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F218-25. 2009..Initial reports suggest that in preterm infants histological chorioamnionitis is associated with a decreased incidence of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS), while the incidence of ..
- The frequency of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity and histologic chorioamnionitis in women at term with intact membranes in the presence or absence of laborHyo Suk Seong
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:375.e1-5. 2008..presence and progress of labor are associated with an increased risk of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity (MIAC), intraamniotic inflammation, and histologic chorioamnionitis in women with term pregnancies with intact membranes.
- Using proteomic analysis of the human amniotic fluid to identify histologic chorioamnionitisIrina A Buhimschi
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Obstet Gynecol 111:403-12. 2008To estimate the relationship between histologic chorioamnionitis and four amniotic fluid proteomic biomarkers characteristic of inflammation (defensins 2 and 1, calgranulins C and A).
- Pulmonary and systemic endotoxin tolerance in preterm fetal sheep exposed to chorioamnionitisSuhas G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45229 3039, USA
J Immunol 179:8491-9. 2007In a model of human chorioamnionitis, fetal sheep exposed to a single injection, but not repeated injections, of intra-amniotic endotoxin develop lung injury responses...
- Expression of cytokines and chemokines in cervical and amniotic fluid: relationship to histological chorioamnionitisRose Marie Holst
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Perinatal Center, Institute for Clinical Sciences, Sahlgrenska Academy, East Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 20:885-93. 2007To correlate cervical and amniotic fluid cytokines and macrophage-related chemokines to the development of histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) in patients with preterm labor (PTL) and preterm prelabor rupture of the membranes (PPROM).
- Progestin-inflammatory cytokine interactions affect matrix metalloproteinase-1 and -3 expression in term decidual cells: implications for treatment of chorioamnionitis-induced preterm deliveryCeyda Oner
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, Room 335 FMB, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:252-9. 2008b>Chorioamnionitis (CAM)-elicited preterm delivery (PTD) is associated with elevated amniotic fluid levels of IL-1beta and TNF-alpha...
- Acute and chronic chorioamnionitis and the risk of perinatal human immunodeficiency virus-1 transmissionBenjamin H Chi
School of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL 35294 0024, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 194:174-81. 2006This study was undertaken to examine the prevalence of acute and chronic chorioamnionitis among women infected with human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) and to determine the relative contribution of each to perinatal HIV-1 transmission.
- Pulmonary and systemic expression of monocyte chemotactic proteins in preterm sheep fetuses exposed to lipopolysaccharide-induced chorioamnionitisTushar A Shah
Divisions of Neonatology and Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, 3333 Burnet Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA
Pediatr Res 68:210-5. 2010..MCP-1 and MCP-2) mediate monocyte and T-lymphocyte chemotaxis, and IL-1 contributes to the pathogenesis of chorioamnionitis-induced lung inflammation and fetal inflammatory responses...
- Risk factors for neonatal intraventricular haemorrhage in spontaneous prematurity at 32 weeks gestation or lessP Vergani
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Istituto di Scienze Biomediche San Gerardo, Monza, Italy
Placenta 21:402-7. 2000..at delivery, cord pH at birth, rates of 5-min Apgar score below 7, caesarean delivery, diagnosis of clinical chorioamnionitis or antenatal administration of steroids...
- Immunohistochemical distribution of Toll-like receptor 4 in term and preterm human placentas from normal and complicated pregnancy including chorioamnionitisKaori Kumazaki
Department of Molecual Medicine, Osaka Medical Center and Research Institute for Maternal and Child Health, Osaka, Japan
Hum Pathol 35:47-54. 2004..Hofbauer cells of all preterm and term placentas examined and to the inflammatory cells in placentas with chorioamnionitis (CAM)...
- Chorioamnionitis: elevated interleukin-6 and interleukin-8 concentrations in the lower uterine segmentMarc J Willi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Technical University (RWTH) of Aachen, Aachen, Germany
J Perinat Med 30:292-6. 2002AIMS: To determine interleukin (IL)-6 and IL-8 concentrations in the lower uterine segment in patients with chorioamnionitis compared to those without...
- Increased apoptosis of human fetal membranes in rupture of the membranes and chorioamnionitisS Kataoka
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita-ku N15 W7, Sapporo 060-8638, Japan
Placenta 23:224-31. 2002..The aim of this study was to assess apoptosis of the amnion and the chorion in relation to ROM and chorioamnionitis (CAM)...
- Regulation of FasL/Fas in human trophoblasts: possible implications for chorioamnionitisDhruv R Balkundi
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology and Developmental Biology, University of Pittsburgh, Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213, USA
Biol Reprod 69:718-24. 2003b>Chorioamnionitis is a common cause of premature birth and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality in the mother and infant...
- Re-evaluation of chorioamnionitis and funisitis with a special reference to subacute chorioamnionitisMakiko Ohyama
Division of Neonatology, Obstetrics, and Pathology, Kanagawa Children's Medical Center, Yokohama City, Japan
Hum Pathol 33:183-90. 2002Our purpose is to prove that prolonged inflammation of the chorionic plate, which we have termed subacute chorioamnionitis (SCAM), is a distinctive entity and should be differentiated from acute chorioamnionitis (ACAM) because it is an ..
- Antibiotic administration to patients with preterm premature rupture of membranes does not eradicate intra-amniotic infectionRicardo Gomez
Center for Perinatal Diagnosis and Research CEDIP, Hospital Dr Sotero del Rio, P Universidad Catolica de Chile, Puente Alto, Chile
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 20:167-73. 2007....
- Value of placental microbial evaluation in diagnosing intra-amniotic infectionChristian M Pettker
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:739-49. 2007..To evaluate the ability of microbiologic and pathologic examination of the placenta to accurately diagnose intraamniotic infection and inflammation...
- Relationship of amniotic-type placenta inflammation to pPROM, PROM and risk of early onset neonatal sepsisMilos Veleminsky
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Hospital Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 29:447-50. 2008..PROM and pPROM and early onset neonatal sepsis negatively affect the neonatal perinatal mortality and morbidity...
- Myelopoiesis in the liver of stillborns with evidence of intrauterine infectionRoberto N Miranda
Department of Pathology, University of Missouri Kansas City, Truman Medical Center, 2301 Holmes St, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:1786-91. 2006b>Chorioamnionitis is the maternal and fetal response to an ascending intrauterine infection. The fetal response is manifested by funisitis and chorionic vasculitis, or as neutrophils within pulmonary spaces...
- Pre-term pre-labour rupture of membranes: effect of chorioamnionitis on overall neonatal outcomeV O Oboro
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria
J Obstet Gynaecol 26:740-3. 2006Our objective was to evaluate the association between clinical chorioamnionitis following preterm pre-labour rupture of membranes (PPROM) and adverse neonatal outcome...
- Premature rupture of the membranes: an evidence-based approach to clinical careC S Naylor
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Burns and Allen Research Institute, Los Angeles, California, USA
Am J Perinatol 18:397-413. 2001..This review will address the important questions concerning the management of premature rupture of membranes and will attempt to provide comprehensive answers as they appear in the medical literature...
- The relationship between placental histopathology findings and perinatal outcome in preterm infantsD Ogunyemi
Morristown Memorial Hospital, New Jersey, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 13:102-9. 2003..neonates delivered at 24-32 weeks between 1992 and 2000 was classified as follows: 254 (33%) had histological chorioamnionitis, 263 (34%) had coagulation-related lesions, 228 (30%) had vasculopathy...
- Amnionitis with Ureaplasma urealyticum or other microbes leads to increased morbidity and prolonged hospitalization in very low birth weight infantsLieselotte Kirchner
Department of Neonatology and Intensive Care, University Hospital of Pediatrics, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 134:44-50. 2007..To investigate the influence of culture proven intrauterine infection on preterm morbidity and to test the effect of antimicrobial treatment...
- Maternal periodontitis and prematurity. Part I: Obstetric outcome of prematurity and growth restrictionS Offenbacher
Center for Oral and Systemic Diseases, Departments of Periodontology and Dental Ecology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, School of Dentistry, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Ann Periodontol 6:164-74. 2001..BW) adjusting for race, age, food stamp eligibility, marital status, previous preterm births, first birth, chorioamnionitis, bacterial vaginosis, and smoking...
- Microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity at birth is associated with adverse short-term outcome of preterm infantsAngelika Berger
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University Hospital Vienna, Austria
J Perinat Med 31:115-21. 2003..To determine the frequency and clinical significance of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity at the time of delivery in preterm infants...
- Bacterial Vaginosis and Spontaneous AbortionDeborah Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2004..associations between BV and late pregnancy outcomes; such as, preterm labor, premature rupture of membrane, chorioamnionitis, and low birth weight. The impact of BV on the risk for spontaneous abortion (SAB) is unclear...
- Postnatal Consequences of Fetal InflammationAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The majority of very low birth weight preterm infants are exposed to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis (inflammation) that can alter lung development and result in bronchopulmonary dysplasia...
- Safety of N-acetylcysteine in Maternal ChorioamnionitisDorothea Jenkins; Fiscal Year: 2009..N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a promising therapy that has shown effective neuroprotection in the animal model of chorioamnionitis, and has a favorable safety profile with known side effects, which appear to be limited and manageable...
- CHLORHEXIDINE IRRIGATION TO PREVENT INFECTIONDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2001Clinically overt infection of the placenta, fetal membranes, or uterus during labor (chorioamnionitis) complicates from 1% to 11% of pregnancies...
- Mechanisms for Racial Disparity in Preterm BirthJane Hitti; Fiscal Year: 2006..role of increased antigenic stimulation from lower genital tract infection as a determinant of endometritis, chorioamnionitis and preterm birth among African American and white women. 2...
- Sepsis and Critical Illness in Babies > 34 Weeks GestationGABRIEL ESCOBAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., chorioamnionitis) with no symptoms or who have presentations that are considered equivocal, and 2) infants with respiratory ..
- Neonatal Resuscitation and Preterm Lung InjuryAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The majority of infants with birth weights <1 kg have been exposed to chorioamnionitis, which causes lung inflammation and alters innate inflammatory responses...
- Type 1 fimbrial variation in E coil 018 k1 h7 virulenceScott Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such a test might ultimately be used to identify women at increased risk of chorioamnionitis and pre-term labor, or of delivering infected newborns...
- FGF-10 Expression in a Fetal Mouse Lung Model of Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaLawrence S Prince; Fiscal Year: 2010..Prenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the maternal membranes, placenta, and uterus) increases the risk of bronchopulmonary ..
- Safety of N-acetylcysteine in Maternal ChorioamnionitisDorothea Jenkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a promising therapy that has shown effective neuroprotection in the animal model of chorioamnionitis, and has a favorable safety profile with known side effects, which appear to be limited and manageable...
- FGF-10 Expression in a Fetal Mouse Lung Model of Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaLAWRENCE PRINCE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Prenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the maternal membranes, placenta, and uterus) increases the risk of bronchopulmonary ..
- Consequences of redox imbalance in preterm parturitionIrina Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2003Both intrauterine (e.g. chorioamnionitis) and various matemal systemic infections are proposed causes of preterm labor triggered by a protective inflammatory response (based on the finding of elevated cytokines) that becomes maladaptive ..
- HIV, Malaria and Neurobehavioral Development in Early ChildhoodPenny Holding; Fiscal Year: 2007..are mediated by pre-term birth, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) and placenta! abnormalities, including chorioamnionitis. LBW and placenta! abnormalities, in turn, lead to developmental delays and to a slowed rate of development ..
- HIV, Malaria and Neurobehavioral Development in Early ChildhoodPenny A Holding; Fiscal Year: 2010..are mediated by pre-term birth, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) and placenta! abnormalities, including chorioamnionitis. LBW and placenta! abnormalities, in turn, lead to developmental delays and to a slowed rate of development ..