Genomes and Genes
Summary: INFLAMMATION of the placental membranes (CHORION; AMNION) and connected tissues such as fetal BLOOD VESSELS and UMBILICAL CORD. It is often associated with intrauterine ascending infections during PREGNANCY.
Publications249 found, 100 shown here
- The new bronchopulmonary dysplasiaAlan H Jobe
Cincinnati Children s Hospital, Division of Pulmonary Biology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 23:167-72. 2011..Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) remains the most common severe complication of preterm birth. A number of recent animal models and clinical studies provide new information about pathophysiology and treatment...
- A fetal response to chorioamnionitis is associated with early survival after preterm birthMonica M Lahra
RPA Newborn Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, and the University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:147-51. 2004..was to determine, in a large preterm cohort (20-34 completed weeks of gestation), the incidence of histologic chorioamnionitis and the incidence of a histologic fetal response to chorioamnionitis (umbilical vasculitis with or without ..
- The role of inflammation and infection in preterm birthRoberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Semin Reprod Med 25:21-39. 2007..Most cases of histopathological inflammation and histological chorioamnionitis, both in preterm and term labor, are sub-clinical in nature...
- Inflammation in pregnancy: its roles in reproductive physiology, obstetrical complications, and fetal injuryRoberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Hutzel Women s Hospital Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Nutr Rev 65:S194-202. 2007..Moreover, reprogramming of the fetal immune response may predispose to diseases in adulthood...
- The severity of chorioamnionitis in pregnant sheep is associated with in vivo variation of the surface-exposed multiple-banded antigen/gene of Ureaplasma parvumChristine L Knox
Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation, and School of Life Sciences, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Biol Reprod 83:415-26. 2010..005), and ureaplasma titers were inversely related to the number of variants (P = 0.025). The severity of chorioamnionitis varied between animals...
- Endotoxin induced chorioamnionitis prevents intestinal development during gestation in fetal sheepTim G A M Wolfs
Department of Surgery, Nutrition and Toxicology Research Institute Maastricht NUTRIM, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
PLoS ONE 4:e5837. 2009b>Chorioamnionitis is the most significant source of prenatal inflammation and preterm delivery...
- Chorioamnionitis as a risk factor for cerebral palsy: A meta-analysisY W Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California, PO Box 0114, San Francisco, CA 94143 0114, USA
JAMA 284:1417-24. 2000b>Chorioamnionitis has been implicated in the pathogenesis of cerebral palsy, but most studies have not reported a significant association...
- Amniotic infection syndrome: nosology and reproducibility of placental reaction patternsRaymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 6:435-48. 2003..6, substantial. Kappa values for the 12 lesions evaluated in 20 cases by the six pathologists were: acute chorioamnionitis/maternal inflammatory response (any, 0.93; severe 0.76; advanced stage, 0...
- Prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency to prevent bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a multicenter trialKristi L Watterberg
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, MSC10 5590, Albuquerque, NM 87131 0001, USA
Pediatrics 114:1649-57. 2004..A pilot study of low-dose hydrocortisone therapy for prophylaxis of early adrenal insufficiency showed improved survival without BPD at 36 weeks' postmenstrual age, particularly in infants exposed to histologic chorioamnionitis.
- Chorioamnionitis: a multiorgan disease of the fetus?M Gantert
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Klinikum Osnabruck, Osnabruck, Germany
J Perinatol 30:S21-30. 2010The bacterial infection of chorion and amnion is a common finding in premature delivery and is referred to as chorioamnionitis. As the mother rarely shows symptoms of a systemic inflammation, the course of chorioamnionitis is frequently ..
- The bacterial load of Ureaplasma parvum in amniotic fluid is correlated with an increased intrauterine inflammatory responseDavid C Kasper
Department of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Medical University of Vienna, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 67:117-21. 2010..isolated microorganisms inside the amniotic cavity and have been associated with spontaneous abortion, chorioamnionitis, premature rupture of the membranes (PROM), and preterm labor (PL)...
- Prevalence and diversity of microbes in the amniotic fluid, the fetal inflammatory response, and pregnancy outcome in women with preterm pre-labor rupture of membranesDaniel B Digiulio
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Am J Reprod Immunol 64:38-57. 2010..The role played by microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity (MIAC) in preterm pre-labor rupture of membranes (pPROM) is inadequately characterized, in part because of reliance on cultivation-based methods...
- Chorioamnionitis--a complex pathophysiologic syndromeR Menon
Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Placenta 31:113-20. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis, inflammation of the amniochorionic membrane (fetal membranes) is a very common disease but a complex syndrome associated with pregnancy...
- Inflammatory responses in the placenta and umbilical cordRaymond W Redline
Case School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 11:296-301. 2006..Histological chorioamnionitis develops through a well-characterised stereotyped progression of maternal and fetal cellular stages that vary ..
- Hemodynamic disturbances in premature infants born after chorioamnionitis: association with cord blood cytokine concentrationsToby Debra Yanowitz
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the Magee Womens Research Institute, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Pediatr Res 51:310-6. 2002b>Chorioamnionitis and elevated cord blood inflammatory cytokine concentrations are associated with detectable disturbances of systemic and cerebral hemodynamics in premature newborns. Fifty-five infants (25-31 wk gestation) were enrolled...
- Chorioamnionitis, mechanical ventilation, and postnatal sepsis as modulators of chronic lung disease in preterm infantsLinda J Van Marter
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr 140:171-6. 2002This case-control study of chronic lung disease (CLD) evaluated the hypothesis that chorioamnionitis promotes CLD and interacts with other risk factors for CLD, including mechanical ventilation and postnatal infection.
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy: a meta-analysisJobe G Shatrov
School of Medicine, Sydney, The University of Notre Dame Australia and Cerebral Palsy Institute, Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia
Obstet Gynecol 116:387-92. 2010To examine the relationships between clinical or histological chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy using a meta-analysis approach.
- Diagnosis of intra-amniotic infection by proteomic profiling and identification of novel biomarkersMichael G Gravett
Division of Reproductive Sciences, Oregon National Primate Research Center, Beaverton, Ore, USA
JAMA 292:462-9. 2004..Intra-amniotic infection (IAI) is commonly associated with preterm birth and adverse neonatal sequelae. Early diagnosis of IAI, however, has been hindered by insensitive or nonspecific tests...
- Dose and time response after intraamniotic endotoxin in preterm lambsB W Kramer
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229-3039, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:982-8. 2001Intraamniotic endotoxin causes chorioamnionitis, which is followed by improved fetal lung function after 4 d in fetal sheep. We evaluated 0.1 mg, 1 mg, 4 mg, and 10 mg endotoxin for inflammation and lung maturation effects after 7 d...
- Prematurity, chorioamnionitis, and the development of recurrent wheezing: a prospective birth cohort studyRajesh Kumar
Division of Allergy, Children s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL 60614, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 121:878-84.e6. 2008Prematurity (< 37 weeks) has been inconsistently associated with asthma and wheezing. Chorioamnionitis may promote both prematurity and inflammatory pathways in infants' airways.
- Intra-amniotic LPS and antenatal betamethasone: inflammation and maturation in preterm lamb lungsElke Kuypers
Department of Pediatrics, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, Maastricht University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L380-9. 2012The proinflammatory stimulus of chorioamnionitis is commonly associated with preterm delivery. Women at risk of preterm delivery receive antenatal glucocorticoids to functionally mature the fetal lung...
- Maternal versus fetal inflammation and respiratory distress syndrome: a 10-year hospital cohort studyM M Lahra
Department of Neonatal Medicine, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F13-6. 2009To determine the impact of maternal and fetal intrauterine inflammatory responses (chorioamnionitis and umbilical vasculitis) on the development of neonatal respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in preterm infants.
- Betamethasone effects on chorioamnionitis induced by intra-amniotic endotoxin in sheepJohn P Newnham
School of Women s and Infants Health, University of Western Australia, King Edward Memorial Hospital, Bagot Road, Subiaco, Perth, WA 6008, Australia
Am J Obstet Gynecol 189:1458-66. 2003Intra-amniotic administration of endotoxin in sheep is a model of subclinical chorioamnionitis. Intrauterine inflammation alters lung development to improve postnatal lung function and may predispose the infant to lung and brain injury...
- Changes in placental CRH, urocortins, and CRH-receptor mRNA expression associated with preterm delivery and chorioamnionitisMichela Torricelli
Department of Pediatrics, Obstetrics, and Reproductive Medicine, University of Siena, 53100, Siena, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:534-40. 2011..The pathogenesis of preterm delivery (PTD) is not clear, although inflammation/infection play a major role. Corticotropin releasing-hormone (CRH) and Urocortins (Ucns) are involved in the pathophysiology of PTD...
- Modulation of fetal inflammatory response on exposure to lipopolysaccharide by chorioamnion, lung, or gut in sheepBoris W Kramer
University Medical Center Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:77.e1-9. 2010..We hypothesized that fetal lipopolysaccharide exposures to the chorioamnion, lung, or gut would induce distinct systemic inflammatory responses...
- Lipopolysaccharide increases alveolar type II cell number in fetal mouse lungs through Toll-like receptor 4 and NF-kappaBLawrence S Prince
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35249, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 287:L999-1006. 2004b>Chorioamnionitis is a major cause of preterm delivery. Infants exposed to inflammation in utero and then born preterm may have improved lung function in the immediate postnatal period...
- Chorioamnionitis--the good or the evil for neonatal outcome?Iliana Bersani
University Children s Hospital, University of Wurzburg, Germany
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 25:12-6. 2012b>Chorioamnionitis represents a major risk factor for preterm birth and contributes to prematurity-associated morbidity and mortality...
- Prostaglandins mediate the fetal pulmonary response to intrauterine inflammationAlana J Westover
The Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Vic, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 302:L664-78. 2012..Nimesulide decreased surfactant protein (SP)-A (P = 0.05), -B (P = 0.05), and -D (P = 0.0015) but increased SP-C mRNA (P = 0.023). Thus PGHS-2 mediates, at least in part, fetal pulmonary responses to inflammation...
- Histologic chorioamnionitis and severity of illness in very low birth weight newbornsClaudio De Felice
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Senese, Policlinico Le Scotte, Viale M Bracci 16, I 53100 Siena, Italy
Pediatr Crit Care Med 6:298-302. 2005..Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) is a known cause of neonatal morbidity and mortality...
- The risk of intra-amniotic infection, inflammation and histologic chorioamnionitis in term pregnant women with intact membranes and laborSeung Mi Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Republic of Korea
Placenta 32:516-21. 2011..an increased risk of microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity, intra-amniotic inflammation and histologic chorioamnionitis. This study was performed to determine when the risk of intra-amniotic infection, inflammation and histologic ..
- Chorioamnionitis as a risk factor for bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a systematic review and meta-analysisLisa Hartling
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, 401 Smyth Road, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 97:F8-F17. 2012To conduct a systematic review of the association between chorioamnionitis (CA) and bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) in preterm infants.
- Histological inflammatory responses in the placenta and early neonatal brain injuryVincenzo Zanardo
Department of Pediatrics, Padua University School of Medicine, Padua, Italy
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:350-4. 2008..Placental histology for histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) was graded and scored according to Redline and others...
- Non-invasive prediction of intra-amniotic inflammation in women with preterm laborH J Jung
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seongnamsi, Korea
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 37:82-7. 2011..To develop a model based on non-invasive variables to predict the probability of intra-amniotic inflammation in women with preterm labor and intact membranes...
- Postnatal increase of procalcitonin in premature newborns is enhanced by chorioamnionitis and neonatal sepsisJ Janota
Institute for the Care of Mother and Child, Podolske nabrezi 157, 147 00 Prague 4, Czech Republic
Eur J Clin Invest 31:978-83. 2001To determine the influence of chorioamnionitis and neonatal sepsis on procalcitonin (PCT) levels in very-low-birth-weight (VLBW) infants within the first week of life.
- The role of inflammation in the development of chronic lung disease in neonatesJ J De Dooy
Department of Paediatrics, University Hospital of Antwerp, Belgium
Eur J Pediatr 160:457-63. 2001Chronic lung disease (CLD) has been associated with chorioamnionitis and upper respiratory tract colonisation with Ureaplasma urealyticum...
- Regulation of interleukin-6 expression in human decidual cells and its potential role in chorioamnionitisCharles J Lockwood
Department of Obstetrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8063, USA
Am J Pathol 177:1755-64. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis frequently precedes both genital tract and placental inflammation and is both a primary cause of maternal morbidity and a major antecedent of preterm premature rupture of the membranes (PPROM) as well as preterm delivery (..
- Damage-associated molecular patterns (DAMPs) in preterm labor with intact membranes and preterm PROM: a study of the alarmin HMGB1Roberto Romero
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Wayne State University Hutzel Women s Hospital, 3990 John R, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:1444-55. 2011..intra-amniotic infection/inflammation (IAI) is associated with changes in amniotic fluid concentrations of HMGB1; and (2) localize immunoreactivity of HMGB1 in the fetal membranes and umbilical cord of patients with chorioamnionitis.
- Chorioamnionitis and the prognosis for term infantsJ M Alexander
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 94:274-8. 1999To assess the effects of clinical chorioamnionitis and labor complications on short-term neonatal morbidity, including seizures.
- Effects of intrauterine infection or inflammation on fetal lung developmentAlana J Westover
The Ritchie Centre, Monash Institute of Medical Research, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 39:824-30. 2012..Elucidation of the effects of inflammation on the fetal lungs and other organs will allow more refined approaches to the care of preterm infants exposed to inflammation in utero...
- C-reactive protein in umbilical cord blood: a simple and widely available clinical method to assess the risk of amniotic fluid infection and funisitisB H Yoon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Laboratory of Fetal Medicine Research, Clinical Research Institute, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 14:85-90. 2003....
- Chorioamnionitis induced by intraamniotic lipopolysaccharide resulted in an interval-dependent increase in central nervous system injury in the fetal sheepA W Danilo Gavilanes
Department of Pediatrics Neonatology, University Hospital Maastricht, in collaboration with the Research Institute of Growth and Development GROW, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 200:437.e1-8. 2009We quantified the impact of chorioamnionitis on both the white and gray matter structures of the preterm ovine central nervous system (CNS).
- Chorioamnionitis, respiratory distress syndrome and bronchopulmonary dysplasia in extremely low birth weight infantsHyun Ju Lee
Department of Pediatrics, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Perinatol 31:166-70. 2011To determine if histologic chorioamnionitis (HC) in the presence of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) augments adverse pulmonary outcomes in extremely low birth weight (ELBW) infants.
- The involvement of human amnion in histologic chorioamnionitis is an indicator that a fetal and an intra-amniotic inflammatory response is more likely and severe: clinical implicationsChan Wook Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, 28 Yongon Dong, Chongno Gu, Seoul 110 744, Republic of Korea
Placenta 30:56-61. 2009....
- Clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranesSoon Sup Shim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Laboratory of Fetal Medicine Research, College of Medicine, Seoul National University Seoul 110 744, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1339-45. 2004..This study was conducted to determine the frequency and clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm premature rupture of the membranes...
- Diagnosis and management of clinical chorioamnionitisAlan T N Tita
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 619 19th South, Birmingham, AL 3524, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:339-54. 2010b>Chorioamnionitis is a common complication of pregnancy associated with significant maternal, perinatal, and long-term adverse outcomes...
- Pulmonary vascular and alveolar development in preterm lambs chronically colonized with Ureaplasma parvumGraeme R Polglase
The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 299:L232-41. 2010Ureaplasma species, the most commonly isolated microorganisms in women with chorioamnionitis, are associated with preterm delivery...
- Histologic chorioamnionitis is associated with reduced risk of late-onset sepsis in preterm infantsTobias Strunk
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women and Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, Subiaco, Australia
Pediatrics 129:e134-41. 2012Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) is implicated in the onset of preterm labor and delivery. Chorioamnionitis is a known risk factor for early-onset sepsis and may modulate postnatal immunity...
- Placental lesions as predictors of cerebral palsy and abnormal neurocognitive function at school age in extremely low birth weight infants (<1 kg)Raymond W Redline
Department of Pathology, Case School of Medicine and Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 10:282-92. 2007..Histologic chorioamnionitis (HCA) was not predictive of outcome in the population as a whole, but a severe fetal vascular response was ..
- Monocyte chemotactic protein-1 is increased in the amniotic fluid of women who deliver preterm in the presence or absence of intra-amniotic infectionM Sean Esplin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 17:365-73. 2005..This study was conducted to determine if preterm labor leading to preterm delivery and intra-amniotic infection (IAI) are associated with changes in the amniotic fluid concentrations of MCP-1...
- Prenatal inflammation and lung developmentBoris W Kramer
Department of kindergeneeskunde, Academisch Ziekenhuis Maastricht, Postbus 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Semin Fetal Neonatal Med 14:2-7. 2009Prenatal exposure of very low birth weight infants to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis with organisms such as mycoplasma and ureaplasma is frequent...
- Chorioamnionitis and cerebral palsy in term and near-term infantsYvonne W Wu
Department of Neurology, University of California, San Francisco 94143, USA
JAMA 290:2677-84. 2003Half of all cases of cerebral palsy (CP) occur in term infants, for whom risk factors have not been clearly defined. Recent studies suggest a possible role of chorioamnionitis.
- Characterization of chorioamnionitis in 2nd-trimester C-section placentas and correlation with microorganism recovery from subamniotic tissuesJonathan L Hecht
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Pediatr Dev Pathol 11:15-22. 2008..Recovery of microorganisms from placental parenchyma is associated with histologic inflammation. The same microorganisms responsible for inciting high-grade chorionic plate inflammation are also most likely to promote fetal inflammation...
- Widespread microbial invasion of the chorioamniotic membranes is a consequence and not a cause of intra-amniotic infectionMi Jeong Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lab Invest 89:924-36. 2009Acute chorioamnionitis is a response to amniotic fluid (AF) infection...
- Clinical chorioamnionitis, elevated cytokines, and brain injury in term infantsLina F Shalak
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Pediatrics 110:673-80. 2002To determine the initial inflammatory cytokine response in term infants born to mothers with clinical chorioamnionitis and to assess whether the cytokine response is associated with birth depression, abnormal neurologic examination, and ..
- Planned early birth versus expectant management for women with preterm prelabour rupture of membranes prior to 37 weeks' gestation for improving pregnancy outcomeSarah L Buchanan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal North Shore Hospital, St Leonards, New South Wales, Australia, 2065
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD004735. 2010..32, 95% CI 1.33 to 4.07), but that early delivery had no effect on chorioamnionitis (RR 0.44, 95% CI 0.17 to 1.14)...
- Inflammation and bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Josef Schneider Strasse 2, 97080, Wurzburg, Germany
Semin Neonatol 8:29-38. 2003....
- Effect of chorioamnionitis on early childhood asthmaDarios Getahun
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California Medical Group, 100 Los Robles Ave, 2nd Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:187-92. 2010To examine the association between chorioamnionitis and childhood asthma based on gestational age at birth and race/ethnicity.
- Population cohort associating chorioamnionitis, cord inflammatory cytokines and neurologic outcome in very preterm, extremely low birth weight infantsTuula Kaukola
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Pediatr Res 59:478-83. 2006..We investigated the relationship between chorioamnionitis, cord serum cytokines, and neurologic outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis, postnatal factors and proinflammatory response in the pathogenetic sequence of bronchopulmonary dysplasiaChristian P Speer
University Children s Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Neonatology 95:353-61. 2009..Pre- and postnatal factors such as chorioamnionitis, oxygen toxicity, mechanical ventilation and postnatal infections can induce and perpetuate an injurious and ..
- The role of proteomics in the diagnosis of chorioamnionitis and early-onset neonatal sepsisIrina A Buhimschi
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, LLCI 804, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Clin Perinatol 37:355-74. 2010..Discovery of clinically and biologically relevant biomarkers able to reveal key pathogenic pathways and predict pregnancies at risk for antenatal fetal damage is a priority. Proteomics provides a unique opportunity to fill this gap...
- Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 in the chorioamniotic membranes in spontaneous labor at term and in preterm parturition that are associated with chorioamnionitisYeon Mee Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1346-55. 2004..This study examined Toll-like receptor-2 and -4 expression in fetal membranes in response to labor at term and histologic chorioamnionitis.
- Intra-amniotic endotoxin: chorioamnionitis precedes lung maturation in preterm lambsS G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 280:L527-36. 2001....
- Endotoxin-induced maturation of monocytes in preterm fetal sheep lungBoris W Kramer
University Hospital Maastricht, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L345-53. 2007The fetal lung normally contains immature monocytes and very few mature macrophages. The chorioamnionitis frequently associated with preterm birth induces monocyte influx into the fetal lung...
- Clinical significance of intra-amniotic inflammation in patients with preterm labor and intact membranesB H Yoon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Korea
Am J Obstet Gynecol 185:1130-6. 2001..Adverse outcomes included clinical and histologic chorioamnionitis, funisitis, early preterm birth, and significant neonatal morbidity...
- Chorioamnionitis alters the response to surfactant in preterm infantsJasper V Been
Department of Paediatrics, School for Oncology and Developmental Biology GROW, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Pediatr 156:10-15.e1. 2010To study the association between antenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis and the neonatal response to surfactant.
- IL-1 mediates pulmonary and systemic inflammatory responses to chorioamnionitis induced by lipopolysaccharideSuhas G Kallapur
Division of Pulmonary Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:955-61. 2009b>Chorioamnionitis frequently associates with preterm delivery and increased amniotic fluid IL-1, and causes fetal lung and systemic inflammation...
- Histological chorioamnionitis and respiratory outcome in preterm infantsJ V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 94:F218-25. 2009..Initial reports suggest that in preterm infants histological chorioamnionitis is associated with a decreased incidence of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS), while the incidence of ..
- Local inflammatory response in choriodecidua induced by Ureaplasma urealyticumR Aaltonen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
BJOG 114:1432-5. 2007..Lower quantities of bacteria failed to induce any response...
- Cytokine production in chorioamnionitisF Saji
Department of Gynecology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan
J Reprod Immunol 47:185-96. 2000..b>Chorioamnionitis, a subset of intrauterine infection, has been identified in 20-33% of women with preterm delivery, and the ..
- The value of cord blood interleukin-6 levels for predicting chorioamnionitis, funisitis and neonatal infection in term premature rupture of membranesYasemin Tasci
Department of Obstetrics, Ministry of Health Ankara, Etlik Maternity and Women s Health Research Training Hospital, Guvenlik Cad, 21 5, 06190 Kavaklidere, Ankara, Turkey
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 128:34-9. 2006The objective was to determine whether the interleukin-6 (IL-6) level in umbilical cord blood can be used for the prediction of histologic chorioamnionitis, funisitis, fetal membrane cultures and neonatal infection.
- Performance characteristics of putative tests for subclinical chorioamnionitisR K Edwards
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville 32610-0294, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 9:209-14. 2001..fluid glucose, matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-9, interleukin (IL)-6, and IL-12 for diagnosing subclinical chorioamnionitis in women with preterm labor...
- Indomethacin responsiveness of patent ductus arteriosus and renal abnormalities in preterm infants treated with indomethacinKazuo Itabashi
Children s Medical Center, Northern Yokohama Hospital, 35 1 Chigasakityuo, Tsuzukiku, Yokohama 224 8503, Japan
J Pediatr 143:203-7. 2003..We evaluated the factors related to indomethacin responsiveness of the patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and subsequent renal and electrolyte abnormalities in a large number of low birth weight infants...
- Prevalence, management, and outcomes of preterm prelabour rupture of the membranes of women in CanadaGraeme Smith
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
J Obstet Gynaecol Can 27:547-53. 2005..To determine the prevalence of preterm prelabour rupture of the membranes (PPROM) at Canadian university-affiliated perinatal referral centres, to assess the different management strategies, and to review neonatal outcomes...
- Antenatal steroids and neonatal outcome after chorioamnionitis: a meta-analysisJ V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, The Netherlands
BJOG 118:113-22. 2011There is debate concerning the safety and efficacy of antenatal steroids in preterm labour with suspected intrauterine infection (chorioamnionitis).
- Chorioamnionitis decreased incidence of respiratory distress syndrome by elevating fetal interleukin-6 serum concentrationK Shimoya
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine Osaka University, Suita City, Japan
Hum Reprod 15:2234-40. 2000..The interleukin-6 (IL-6) titre in cord sera of RDS-free neonates born to mothers with histological chorioamnionitis was significantly higher than that in RDS-complicated neonates without chorioamnionitis...
- Thymic changes after chorioamnionitis induced by intraamniotic lipopolysaccharide in fetal sheepSteffen Kunzmann
University Children s Hospital, Wurzburg, Germany
Am J Obstet Gynecol 202:476.e1-9. 2010..We asked whether fetal inflammation caused by chorioamnionitis would modulate thymus development.
- The frequency and risk factors of funisitis and histologic chorioamnionitis in pregnant women at term who delivered after the spontaneous onset of laborSeung Mi Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 24:37-42. 2011To examine the frequency and risk factors of funisitis and histologic chorioamnionitis in the placentas of term pregnant women who delivered after the spontaneous onset of labor.
- Preterm histologic chorioamnionitis: impact on cord gas and pH values and neonatal outcomeBryan S Richardson
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St Joseph s Health Care, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:1357-65. 2006The purpose of this study was to further delineate the impact of preterm chorioamnionitis on a spectrum of neonatal outcomes using a large tertiary hospital population.
- Evidence of changes in the immunophenotype and metabolic characteristics (intracellular reactive oxygen radicals) of fetal, but not maternal, monocytes and granulocytes in the fetal inflammatory response syndromeSun Kwon Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD, NIH, DHHS, Wayne State University Hutzel Women s Hospital, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Perinat Med 37:543-52. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine whether fetal and maternal granulocytes and monocytes have the phenotypic and metabolic characteristics of activation in cases with FIRS...
- Chorioamnionitis and pregnancy outcome in HIV-infected African women. Pregnancy and HIV Study GroupJ Ladner
Medical Information Unit, Centre Hospitalier de Kigali, Rwanda
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 18:293-8. 1998To assess the role of chorioamnionitis (CAM) on pregnancy outcome in HIV-1-infected (HIV-positive) pregnant women, treated for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), during the last trimester of pregnancy in Kigali, Rwanda.
- The importance of intra-amniotic inflammation in the subsequent development of atypical chronic lung diseaseJoonho Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 22:917-23. 2009..To examine whether the intra-amniotic inflammation is a risk factor for the development of atypical chronic lung disease (CLD)...
- Chronic chorioamnionitis displays distinct alterations of the amniotic fluid proteomeGiovanna Ogge
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Pathol 223:553-65. 2011Acute chorioamnionitis of infectious origin and chronic chorioamnionitis of immunological origin are two major placental lesions of spontaneous preterm birth with elevated amniotic fluid interleukin-6 and CXCL10 concentrations, ..
- Fetal thymus size as a predictor of chorioamnionitis in women with preterm premature rupture of membranesY Yinon
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 29:639-43. 2007Emerging evidence indicates that chorioamnionitis is associated with a significant decrease in thymic size at birth in very low birth weight (VLBW) preterm infants...
- MMP-9 and TIMP-1 in the cord blood of premature infants developing BPDShinnosuke Fukunaga
Department of Pediatrics, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Yamaguchi, Japan
Pediatr Pulmonol 44:267-72. 2009..030, respectively). The MMP-9 levels and MMP-9/TIMP-1 ratios correlated with the severity of maternal chorioamnionitis (both trend P = 0.006)...
- Histologic chorioamnionitis is more common after spontaneous labor than after induced labor at termH S Park
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Graduate School of Medicine, Dongguk University, Seoul, South Korea
Placenta 31:792-5. 2010Inflammation of the chorioamniotic membranes (histologic chorioamnionitis) is a risk factor for adverse neonatal outcome...
- Chorioamnionitis increases neonatal morbidity in pregnancies complicated by preterm premature rupture of membranesPatrick S Ramsey
Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics Gynecology, 458 Old Hillman Building, 619 19th St South, Birmingham, AL, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 192:1162-6. 2005To compare morbidities of neonates born to women who developed chorioamnionitis after premature preterm rupture of membranes versus those who did not.
- Umbilical cord blood concentrations of IL-6, IL-8, and MMP-8 in pregnancy complicated by preterm premature rupture of the membranes and histological chorioamnionitisCtirad Andrys
Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, Charles UniversityPrague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 31:857-63. 2010..interleukin-8 (IL-8), and matrix metalloproteinase-8 (MMP-8) are of value in the diagnosis of histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) and funisitis in patients with preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM)...
- Facklamia hominis causing chorioamnionitis and puerperal bacteraemiaB Healy
Microbiology Cardiff, NPHS Wales, UHW, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XW, UK
J Infect 50:353-5. 2005
- Neonatal morbidity and placental pathologyRajeev Mehta
Department of Pediatrics, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08903, USA
Indian J Pediatr 73:25-8. 2006..To investigate the association between gestational age, placental pathology and outcome among preterm births...
- Accuracy of C-reactive protein determination in predicting chorioamnionitis and neonatal infection in pregnant women with premature rupture of membranes: a systematic reviewRafli van de Laar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Maastricht University Medical Centre, GROW School for Oncology and Developmental Biology, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 147:124-9. 2009..The aim of this review was to assess whether CRP accurately predicts chorioamnionitis and/or neonatal sepsis in women with PPROM...
- The frequency, clinical significance, and pathological features of chronic chorioamnionitis: a lesion associated with spontaneous preterm birthChong Jai Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, NICHD NIH DHHS, Bethesda, MD, USA
Mod Pathol 23:1000-11. 2010Acute chorioamnionitis is a well-established lesion of the placenta in cases with intra-amniotic infection. In contrast, the clinicopathological significance of chronic chorioamnionitis is unclear...
- Correlation between placental histopathology and fetal/neonatal outcome: chorioamnionitis and funisitis are associated to intraventricular haemorrage and retinopathy of prematurity in preterm newbornsFrancesca Moscuzza
Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, S Chiara Hospital University of Pisa, Italy
Gynecol Endocrinol 27:319-23. 2011..Placental anatomopathologic lesions are usually associated with pregnancy complications and neonatal impaired outcome...
- Untreated asymptomatic group B streptococcal bacteriuria early in pregnancy and chorioamnionitis at deliveryBrenna L Anderson
Division of Reproductive Infectious Diseases and Immunology, Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Magee Womens Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 196:524.e1-5. 2007..The objective of the study was to determine the frequency of adverse pregnancy outcomes in women with untreated asymptomatic group B beta-hemolytic streptococcal (GBS) bacteriuria during pregnancy...
- Funisitis in term pregnancy is associated with microbial invasion of the amniotic cavity and intra-amniotic inflammationSi Eun Lee
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 19:693-7. 2006..The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between funisitis and the microbiologic status of amniotic fluid (AF) and AF white blood cell (WBC) count in patients at term...
- The Alabama Preterm Birth study: polymorphonuclear and mononuclear cell placental infiltrations, other markers of inflammation, and outcomes in 23- to 32-week preterm newborn infantsWilliam W Andrews
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35233 1602, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 195:803-8. 2006..The purpose of this study was to better understand the relationship between placental polymorphonuclear and mononuclear cell infiltrations with bacterial cultures, markers of inflammation, and preterm outcomes...
- Value of amniotic fluid interleukin-8 for the prediction of histological chorioamnionitis in preterm premature rupture of membranesMarian Kacerovsky
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Medicine Hradec Kralove, University Hospital Hradec Kralove, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 30:733-8. 2009To determine whether amniotic fluid levels of interleukin-8 (IL-8) are of value in the antenatal diagnosis of acute histological chorioamnionitis (HCA) in preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM).
- Chorioamnionitis: important risk factor or innocent bystander for neonatal outcome?Wolfgang Thomas
University Children s Hospital Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany
Neonatology 99:177-87. 2011b>Chorioamnionitis as a major risk factor for spontaneous preterm birth, especially at earlier gestational ages, contributes to prematurity-associated mortality and morbidity...
- Villitis of unknown etiology is associated with a distinct pattern of chemokine up-regulation in the feto-maternal and placental compartments: implications for conjoint maternal allograft rejection and maternal anti-fetal graft-versus-host diseaseMi Jeong Kim
Perinatology Research Branch, Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892 and Detroit, MI 48201, USA
J Immunol 182:3919-27. 2009..In contrast to acute chorioamnionitis of infection-related origin, the fundamental immunopathology of VUE is unknown...
- Special relationships between fetal inflammatory response syndrome and bronchopulmonary dysplasia in neonatesRobert Mittendorf
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Perinat Med 33:428-34. 2005....
- Chorioamnionitis and increased neonatal lung lavage fluid matrix metalloproteinase-9 levels: implications for antenatal origins of chronic lung diseaseAnna E Curley
Department of Child Health, Queen s University of Belfast, Institute of Clinical Science, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:871-5. 2003..We studied the effects of chorioamnionitis and antenatal corticosteroids on bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) fluid levels of MMP-9, and its inhibitor, TIMP-..
- Meconium-stained amniotic fluid and neonatal morbidity in near-term and term deliveries with acute histologic chorioamnionitis and/or funisitisS Rao
University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Women's and Children's Hospital, 1240 North Mission Road, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Perinatol 21:537-40. 2001..amniotic fluid (MSAF) and neonatal morbidity in near-term and term deliveries with histologic acute chorioamnionitis and/or funisitis compared to those with normal placental histology...
- CHLORHEXIDINE IRRIGATION TO PREVENT INFECTIONDwight Rouse; Fiscal Year: 2001Clinically overt infection of the placenta, fetal membranes, or uterus during labor (chorioamnionitis) complicates from 1% to 11% of pregnancies...
- Bacterial Vaginosis and Spontaneous AbortionDeborah Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2004..associations between BV and late pregnancy outcomes; such as, preterm labor, premature rupture of membrane, chorioamnionitis, and low birth weight. The impact of BV on the risk for spontaneous abortion (SAB) is unclear...
- Postnatal Consequences of Fetal InflammationAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The majority of very low birth weight preterm infants are exposed to chronic indolent chorioamnionitis (inflammation) that can alter lung development and result in bronchopulmonary dysplasia...
- Safety of N-acetylcysteine in Maternal ChorioamnionitisDorothea Jenkins; Fiscal Year: 2009..N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a promising therapy that has shown effective neuroprotection in the animal model of chorioamnionitis, and has a favorable safety profile with known side effects, which appear to be limited and manageable...
- Mechanisms for Racial Disparity in Preterm BirthJane Hitti; Fiscal Year: 2006..role of increased antigenic stimulation from lower genital tract infection as a determinant of endometritis, chorioamnionitis and preterm birth among African American and white women. 2...
- Sepsis and Critical Illness in Babies > 34 Weeks GestationGABRIEL ESCOBAR; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., chorioamnionitis) with no symptoms or who have presentations that are considered equivocal, and 2) infants with respiratory ..
- Neonatal Resuscitation and Preterm Lung InjuryAlan Jobe; Fiscal Year: 2007..The majority of infants with birth weights <1 kg have been exposed to chorioamnionitis, which causes lung inflammation and alters innate inflammatory responses...
- Type 1 fimbrial variation in E coil 018 k1 h7 virulenceScott Weissman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such a test might ultimately be used to identify women at increased risk of chorioamnionitis and pre-term labor, or of delivering infected newborns...
- Safety of N-acetylcysteine in Maternal ChorioamnionitisDorothea Jenkins; Fiscal Year: 2007..N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a promising therapy that has shown effective neuroprotection in the animal model of chorioamnionitis, and has a favorable safety profile with known side effects, which appear to be limited and manageable...
- FGF-10 Expression in a Fetal Mouse Lung Model of Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaLawrence S Prince; Fiscal Year: 2010..Prenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the maternal membranes, placenta, and uterus) increases the risk of bronchopulmonary ..
- FGF-10 Expression in a Fetal Mouse Lung Model of Bronchopulmonary DysplasiaLAWRENCE PRINCE; Fiscal Year: 2009..Prenatal exposure to chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the maternal membranes, placenta, and uterus) increases the risk of bronchopulmonary ..
- Consequences of redox imbalance in preterm parturitionIrina Buhimschi; Fiscal Year: 2003Both intrauterine (e.g. chorioamnionitis) and various matemal systemic infections are proposed causes of preterm labor triggered by a protective inflammatory response (based on the finding of elevated cytokines) that becomes maladaptive ..
- HIV, Malaria and Neurobehavioral Development in Early ChildhoodPenny A Holding; Fiscal Year: 2010..are mediated by pre-term birth, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) and placenta! abnormalities, including chorioamnionitis. LBW and placenta! abnormalities, in turn, lead to developmental delays and to a slowed rate of development ..
- HIV, Malaria and Neurobehavioral Development in Early ChildhoodPenny Holding; Fiscal Year: 2007..are mediated by pre-term birth, intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) and placenta! abnormalities, including chorioamnionitis. LBW and placenta! abnormalities, in turn, lead to developmental delays and to a slowed rate of development ..