Genomes and Genes
Summary: A HERNIA due to an imperfect closure or weakness of the umbilical ring. It appears as a skin-covered protrusion at the UMBILICUS during crying, coughing, or straining. The hernia generally consists of OMENTUM or SMALL INTESTINE. The vast majority of umbilical hernias are congenital but can be acquired due to severe abdominal distention.
Publications187 found, 100 shown here
- Omental herniation through a 3-mm umbilical trocar site: unmasking a hidden umbilical herniaJ L Bergemann
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington 98431, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 11:171-3. 2001The incidence of umbilical hernia following laparoscopic surgery varies from 0.02-3.6%. The incidence of pre-existing fascial defects, however, may be as high as 18% in patients undergoing abdominal laparoscopic surgery...
- Abdominal wall defectsThomas R Weber
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, and Cardinal Glennon Children s Hospital, St Louis, Missouri 63104, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 14:491-7. 2002..Continued improvement in the survival of these infants can be anticipated with further understanding of the in utero and antepartum diagnosis and management of infants with these common congenital abnormalities...
- Ruptured umbilical hernia in a case of alcoholic cirrhosis with massive ascitesJacqueline Granese
Seton Hall University Surgical Residency Program at St. Francis Medical Center, Trenton, New Jersey 08629, USA
Am Surg 68:733-4. 2002..We present a case of spontaneous rupture of an umbilical hernia in a patient with cirrhosis and ascites which was managed successfully with hernia repair.
- Management in patients with liver cirrhosis and an umbilical herniaHendrik A Marsman
Department of Surgery, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Surgery 142:372-5. 2007..Optimal management in patients with umbilical hernias and liver cirrhosis with ascites is still under debate. The objective of this study was to compare the outcome in our series of operative versus conservative treatment of these patients...
- Comparison of prosthetic mesh repair and tissue repair in the emergency management of incarcerated para-umbilical hernia: a prospective randomized studyN A Abdel Baki
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Alexandria, Al Azarita, Alexandria, Egypt
Hernia 11:163-7. 2007Although prosthetic repair has become the gold standard for elective management of para-umbilical hernia (PUH) its use in the setting of acute incarceration is still limited for fear of prosthetic-related complications, mainly infection...
- Umbilical hernia repair in the presence of cirrhosis and ascites: results of a survey and review of the literatureA McKay
Department of Surgery, Health Sciences Centre, University of Manitoba, GF 441, 820 Sherbrook St, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9, Canada
Hernia 13:461-8. 2009..The objective of this paper was to evaluate the indications, selection criteria, and technical aspects of umbilical hernia repair in patients with cirrhosis and ascites.
- Cardiac diverticulum and omphalocele: Cantrell's pentalogy or syndromeFeico J J Halbertsma
Department of Paediatrics, University Medical Centre St Radboud, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Cardiol Young 12:71-4. 2002..Early surgical intervention seems to be indicated, as spontaneous rupture, arrhythmias, and thromobogenicity of the ventricular diverticulum have all been reported...
- Nutritional status and umbilical hernia in Nigerian school children of different ethnic groupsE Ebomoyi
Department of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Ilorin, Nigeria
J Natl Med Assoc 83:905-9. 1991The relationship between nutritional status and umbilical hernia was assessed among Hausa and Yoruba school children in rural areas of Kwara State, Nigeria. The prevalence of umbilical hernia in the rural school pupils was 19.4%...
- Umbilical and epigastric hernia repairUlrike Muschaweck
Department of Hernia Surgery, Arabella Klinik, Arabellastrasse 5 81925, Munich, Germany
Surg Clin North Am 83:1207-21. 2003..And we finally conclude with the words of Albert Einstein: "The only source of knowledge is experience."..
- Laparoscopic ventral and incisional hernia repair: an 11-year experienceM E Franklin
Texas Endosurgery Institute, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Hernia 8:23-7. 2004..More long-term follow-up is still required to further evaluate the true effectiveness of this operation...
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy accompanied by simultaneous umbilical hernia repair: a retrospective studyE Kamer
Department of Surgery, Izmir Ataturk Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
J Postgrad Med 53:176-80. 2007..Umbilical defects may cause technical problems for general surgeons in patients during laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) operations and may increase the incidence of incisional hernia...
- Laparoscopic incisional and umbilical hernia repair in cirrhotic patientsGiulio Belli
Department of General and Hepato Pancreato Biliary Surgery, S M Loreto Nuovo Hospital, Naples, Italy
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 16:330-3. 2006..Second, nonexposure of viscera restricts electrolytic and protein losses, and improves absorption of ascites. Finally, the laparoscopic approach is associated with a lower perioperative blood loss (smaller abdominal incision)...
- Cantrell's syndrome - report of two cases with one atypical variantSmiti Nanda
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pt B D Sharma, PGIMS, Rohtak 124001, Haryana, India
Arch Gynecol Obstet 268:331-2. 2003..Two cases of Cantrell syndrome occurring over a ten year period are described. One was detected following caesarean section at term and the other underwent termination of pregnancy at 20 weeks following antenatal diagnosis by ultrasound...
- Strangulated umbilical hernia including a mesenteric cyst: a rare cause of acute abdomenC Polat
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Afyon Kocatepe University, Afyon, Turkey
Acta Chir Belg 103:329-31. 2003..Clinical abdominal examination revealed an irreducible recurrent umbilical hernia. The patient had both muscular defense and abdominal tenderness...
- Is laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair with mesh a reasonable alternative to conventional repair?Byron E Wright
Department of General Surgery, Hennepin County Medical Center, 701 Park Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415 1829, USA
Am J Surg 184:505-8; discussion 508-9. 2002..The purpose of this study was to determine any advantages to laparoscopic mesh repair of umbilical hernias...
- Cantrell syndrome in one of a set of monozygotic twinsR Y Bhat
Department of Paediatrics, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
Singapore Med J 47:1087-8. 2006..We report a premature infant, the first-born twin, with the syndrome. The omphalocoele was large, and heart abnormalities included dextrocardia with atrial septal defect. The co-twin is normal...
- Sonographic biometry of liver and spleen size long after closure of abdominal wall defectsAntonio Zaccara
Newborn Surgery Unit, Bambino Gesu Children s Hospital, Piazza S Onofrio 4, 00165 Rome, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 162:490-2. 2003..Nearly all subjects exhibited weight above and BMI below the 50th percentile for age. ILS and SV were significantly above normal limits in all cases and no difference was found with regard to the type of defect...
- Prenatal and postnatal management of a patient with pentalogy of Cantrell and left ventricular aneurysm. A case report and literature reviewErich J Grethel
Fetal Treatment Center, University of California, San Francisco, Calif 94143 0570, USA
Fetal Diagn Ther 22:269-73. 2007....
- Closure of giant omphaloceles by the abdominal wall component separation technique in infantsFloortje C van Eijck
Department of Surgery, Alysis Health Care, Location Rijnstate, Arnhem, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Surg 43:246-50. 2008..The aim of the present prospective study was to analyze the early and late results of secondary closure of giant omphaloceles using the component separation technique (CST) in infants...
- Laparoscopic versus open umbilical hernia repairRodrigo Gonzalez
Emory Endosurgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
JSLS 7:323-8. 2003BACKGROUND: The use of prosthetic material for open umbilical hernia repair has been reported to reduce recurrence rates. The aim of this study was to compare outcomes after laparoscopic versus open umbilical hernia repair...
- Incarceration of a sessile uterine fibroid in an umbilical hernia during pregnancyA D Seims
Orlando Health, 86 West Underwood, Suite 201, Orlando, FL 32806, USA
Hernia 13:309-11. 2009..Several publications describing herniation of pedunculated fibroids exist, two of which were in umbilical hernia sacs...
- Staged repair of giant omphalocele in the neonatal periodMaurizio Pacilli
Department of Surgery, Institute of Child Health and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, WC1N 1EH London, UK
J Pediatr Surg 40:785-8. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: Giant omphalocele can be safely repaired in the neonatal period without opening the amniotic sac. Intestinal malrotation should be excluded and Ladd's procedure can be performed laparoscopically at a later stage...
- Mouse mutant embryos overexpressing IGF-II exhibit phenotypic features of the Beckwith-Wiedemann and Simpson-Golabi-Behmel syndromesJ Eggenschwiler
Department of Genetics and Development, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Genes Dev 11:3128-42. 1997....
- A uterine fibroid presenting as an incarcerated umbilical hernia during pregnancyC Wong
Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff CF14 1XW, Wales, UK
Hernia 9:298-9. 2005..A case of a 30-year-old pregnant woman with a uterine fibroid incarcerated in an umbilical hernia is presented. This is the second reported case of a fibroid in pregnancy with such a presentation.
- Long-term follow-up after umbilical hernia repair: are there risk factors for recurrence after simple and mesh repairJ A Halm
Department of Surgery, Ikazia Hospital, Montessoriweg 1, 3083 AN, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Hernia 9:334-7. 2005Adult umbilical hernia is a common surgical condition mainly encountered in the fifth and sixth decade of life...
- Prenatal diagnosis of pentalogy of Cantrell in three cases, two with craniorachischisisIbrahim Polat
Maternal and Fetal Unit, Istanbul Bakirkoy Women's and Children's Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
J Clin Ultrasound 33:308-11. 2005..We believe that sonographers should be aware that these anomalies may occur simultaneously with the classic anomalies of the pentalogy of Cantrell...
- Incarcerated endometriotic ovarian cyst within paraumbilical herniaF S Daoud
Department of General Surgery, Jordan University Hospital, Amman, Jordan
J Obstet Gynaecol 25:828-9. 2005
- Randomized clinical trial comparing suture and mesh repair of umbilical hernia in adultsA Arroyo
Ambulatory Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, University Hospital of Elche, Elche, Spain
Br J Surg 88:1321-3. 2001..Prosthetic repair has become the standard method for inguinal hernia and has excellent results. The question remains of whether the mesh technique could also improve results for umbilical defects...
- The use of tissue expanders in the closure of a giant omphaloceleDaniel A De Ugarte
Divisions of Pediatric Surgery, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:613-5. 2004....
- Incidence of umbilical hernia in African children: redefinition of "normal" and reevaluation of indications for repairD E Meier
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, c o Children s Medical Center, 1935 Motor Street, Room H310, Dallas, Texas 75235, USA
World J Surg 25:645-8. 2001..Because most of the children we examined had outies, repair for cosmetic reasons is rarely requested. The only logical indication for repair of UHs at BMCO is incarceration, and this rarely occurs...
- Cantrell's syndromeEloi Marijon
, , Paris, , Maputo,
Cardiol Young 16:95-6. 2006
- Management of giant omphalocele with rapid creation of abdominal domainRobert Foglia
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis Children s Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:704-9; discussion 704-9. 2006..The management of giant omphaloceles (GO) can be quite difficult when there is absence of abdominal domain. Coverage with delayed closure has been described. We present a technique to create an adequate peritoneal domain...
- Incarceration of umbilical hernia during pregnancy due to a sessile fibroidM Uludag
Department of 2nd General Surgery, Sisli Etfal Training and Research Hospital, Sisli, Istanbul, Turkey
Hernia 10:357-9. 2006..We report here the case of a 30-year-old woman in her 32nd gestational week with an incarcerated umbilical hernia. She was operated on an emergency basis, the sessile fibroid was mobilized and the hernia defect was repaired ..
- Combined pentalogy of Cantrell with tetralogy of Fallot, gallbladder agenesis, and polysplenia: a case reportS Bittmann
Department of Children and Newborn Surgery, , , Germany
J Pediatr Surg 39:107-9. 2004..A male newborn with pentalogy of Cantrell, tetralogy of Fallot, agenesis of the gallbladder, and polysplenia died at 3 days of age. Polysplenia was not previously reported in this association...
- A new tension-free technique for the repair of umbilical hernia, using the Prolene Hernia System--early results from 48 casesE Perrakis
Department of Surgery, Western Attica General Hospital, 1 Dodekanisou Street, 12351 Athens, Greece
Hernia 7:178-80. 2003..In our department, a new technique for umbilical hernia repair, using the PHS, has been developed...
- An infant with pentalogy of Cantrell and limb defects diagnosed prenatallyDilek Uygur
Clin Dysmorphol 13:57-8. 2004..There were several associated limb defects. We discuss the differential diagnosis and conclude that our case probably had a variant form of this syndrome...
- Umbilical hernia in adults: day case local anaesthetic repairV S Menon
Department of Surgery, Morriston Hospital, Swansea, SA6 6NL, United Kingdom
J Postgrad Med 49:132-3. 2003The waiting times for elective surgery of Umbilical hernia (UH) in adults are unacceptably long in some cases. During this period, irreducibility and strangulation are possible...
- The minilaparoscope as a tool for localization and preparation for cannula insertion in patients with multiple previous abdominal incisions or umbilical herniaA Golan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon 58100, Israel
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 10:14-6. 2003..PATIENTS: Thirty-one women defined as entry-risk due to previous multiple abdominal surgeries or repair of umbilical hernia. INTERVENTION: Laparoscopy performed with a 2 mm minilaparoscope inserted at Palmer's point, a midclavicular ..
- Exomphalos (omphalocele)M D Kilby
Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Birmingham, U K
Prenat Diagn 18:1283-8. 1998..Prenatal care and counselling should be multidisciplinary and information should ideally be given to parents regarding prognosis and outcome based on prospectively collected population-based data...
- Altered cell differentiation and proliferation in mice lacking p57KIP2 indicates a role in Beckwith-Wiedemann syndromeP Zhang
Verna and Marrs McLean Department of Biochemistry, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nature 387:151-8. 1997....
- The incidence and morbidity of adhesions after treatment of neonates with gastroschisis and omphalocele: a 30-year reviewFloortje C van Eijck
Department of General Surgery, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Pediatr Surg 43:479-83. 2008..Knowledge of its incidence and potential risk factors in a well-documented group with strict follow-up is needed to guide preventive measures...
- Pentalogy of Cantrell associated with hypoplastic left heart syndromeD S Wheeler
Division of Critical Care Medicine, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati Children s Research Foundation, OH 45229 3039, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 28:311-3. 2007..We describe the previously unreported association of pentalogy of Cantrell with hypoplastic left heart syndrome...
- Specific weight formula for fetuses with abdominal wall defectsJ Siemer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mannheim University Hospital, Mannheim, Germany
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 31:397-400. 2008..To develop and to evaluate a specific sonographic weight formula for fetuses with abdominal wall defects...
- Omphalocele and gastroschisis and associated malformationsClaude Stoll
Génétique Médicale, Faculte de Medecine, Strasbourg, France
Am J Med Genet A 146:1280-5. 2008..Malformation surveillance programs should be aware that the malformations associated with omphalocele can be often classified into a recognizable malformation syndrome or pattern (44.2%)...
- The OEIS complex: two case reports that illustrate the spectrum of abnormalities and a review of the literaturePradeep C Vasudevan
Department of Clinical Genetics, Sheffield Children s Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Prenat Diagn 26:267-72. 2006..We conclude that these two cases illustrate the variability of the OEIS complex...
- Single-center 10-year experience in the management of anterior abdominal wall defectsS Rahn
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Hernia 12:345-50. 2008..The aim of this study is to present a single-center experience using biomaterials and evaluate the outcomes...
- Clinical care outcomes in abdominal wall defectsSaleem Islam
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida 32610, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 20:305-10. 2008..Survival has improved over the past few decades, especially with parenteral nutrition and surgical repair. Yet, still, many questions remain regarding the outcome of these anomalies...
- Arterial hypertension after surgical closure of omphalocele and gastroschisisFrancois Cachat
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Nephrology, University Hospital, Lausanne, Switzerland
Pediatr Nephrol 21:225-9. 2006..In both groups, hypertension is transient and rarely requires therapy. The cause of hypertension remains unclear...
- Giant omphaloceles with a small abdominal defect: prenatal diagnosis and neonatal managementG Pelizzo
Department of Pediatric Surgery, IRCCS Burlo Garofolo, University of Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 26:786-8. 2005..This congenital malformation might be considered as a pathological entity separate from giant omphalocele with large abdominal defect, with a severe prognosis due possibly to its different embryological development...
- Experience with management of anterior abdominal wall defects using bovine pericardCornelia van Tuil
Pediatric Surgical University Clinic Münster, Munster, Germany
Hernia 10:41-7. 2006..Bovine pericard patches are optimal biomaterials for the closure of anterior abdominal wall defects in gastroschisis and omphaloceles...
- Characteristics and outcome of 90 cases of fetal omphaloceleA Brantberg
National Center for Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Trondheim University Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 26:527-37. 2005..The aim of this study was to describe the outcome of a case series of fetuses with omphalocele...
- [Common malformations in fetopathologic investigations between 1995 and 2006. Accuracy of ultrasonography confirmed by post mortem investigations]Jozsef Gabor Joo
Semmelweis Egyetem, Altalános Orvostudományi Kar I Szülészeti és Nogyógyászati Klinika, Budapest
Orv Hetil 149:1645-52. 2008..Fetopathologic investigations are of great importance since they are aimed at assessing the risks of a malformation to recur in a mother's future pregnancy...
- Preterm birth in pregnancies complicated by major congenital malformations: a population-based studyStephanie E Purisch
Center for Preterm Birth Research, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 199:287.e1-8. 2008..The objective of the study was to estimate and compare the relative risk of preterm birth (PTB) in pregnancies complicated by 1 or more of 8 major congenital malformations (MCMs)...
- Body wall dysplasia: a rare case of abdominal herniaA Queizan
Departamento de Cirugia Pediatrica, Hospital Universitario La Paz, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, 28046 Madrid, Spain
J Pediatr Surg 40:877-8. 2005..We describe here a rare case of body wall dysplasia that we called abdominal hernia that appeared upon prenatal sonography as an omphalocele-like defect...
- Gastroschisis and omphalocele: retrospective study of initial postoperative management in the ICUS Aizenfisz
Paediatric Intensive Care Unit, Robert Debre Teaching Hospital, Paris, France
Eur J Pediatr Surg 16:84-9. 2006..The purpose of this study is to describe the management of infants with gastroschisis (G) and omphalocele (O) during the first 7 days after surgery...
- Pitfalls in prenatal diagnosis of unusual congenital abdominal wall defectsJessica Schnur
North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, New Hyde Park, New York, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 21:135-9. 2008..An associated omphalocele was recognized in two but misinterpreted as a giant omphalocele in one. Suspicious sonographic features--an enlarged abdominal circumference, irregular laxity of the abdominal--may be clarified by MRI...
- OEIS complex with glomerulocystic kidney disease: a case reportRan Hong
College of Medicine, Chosun University, Gwangju, Korea
Pediatr Dev Pathol 10:121-4. 2007..The postoperative course was uneventful during a period of 4 months of follow up. We herein report a case of the very rare OEIS complex in a newborn male baby and review the available literature...
- [Clinical analysis of congenital abdominal wall defects--omphalocele and gastroschisis]Milanka Tatić
Klinika za decju hirurgiju, Institut za zdravstvenu zastitu dece i omladine Novi Sad
Med Pregl 59:347-55. 2006..The aim of this study was to identify factors which can affect the prognosis of future therapeutic procedures...
- Incidence of abdominal wall defects is related to surface water atrazine and nitrate levelsKelly D Mattix
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:947-9. 2007..Gastroschisis and omphalocele are congenital abdominal wall defects (AWD). Atrazine and nitrates are common agricultural fertilizers...
- Use of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors in pregnancy and the risk of birth defectsSura Alwan
Department of Medical Genetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
N Engl J Med 356:2684-92. 2007..Information regarding the safety of selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in human pregnancy is sparse. Concern has been raised about the risk of congenital heart defects associated with the use of SSRIs in pregnancy...
- Management of complicated gastroschisis with porcine small intestinal submucosa and negative pressure wound therapyAllen Gabriel
Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Loma Linda University School of Medicine Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
J Pediatr Surg 41:1836-40. 2006..In the rare situation in which fascial closure cannot be achieved, the combination of SIS and NPWT can provide a safe and effective means of abdominal wall closure...
- The rising prevalence of gastroschisis and omphalocele in TennesseeSonya R Collins
Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 2504, USA
J Pediatr Surg 42:1221-4. 2007..We conclude that the increase in these important birth defects seen in earlier decades has persisted in Tennessee in recent years. Further elucidation of risk factors associated with the increase is warranted...
- Pentalogy of Cantrell: two patients and a review to determine prognostic factors for optimal approachJeroen H L van Hoorn
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Maastricht, P O Box 5800, 6202 AZ, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Eur J Pediatr 167:29-35. 2008..In conclusion the prognosis seems to be poorer in patients with the complete form of pentalogy of Cantrell, EC, and patients with associated anomalies. Intracardial defects do not seem to be a prognostic factor...
- Pentalogy of Cantrell with a double-outlet right ventricle: 3.5-year follow-up in a prenatally diagnosed patientJunji Takaya
Department of Pediatrics, Kansai Medical University, 10 15 Fumizonocho, Moriguchi, Osaka 570 8506, Japan
Eur J Pediatr 167:103-5. 2008..The patient is currently alive and well 3.5 years after surgery. It is concluded that a deliberate therapeutic strategy based on the intrauterine diagnosis may alter the natural history of this devastating disorder...
- Outcome of antenatally diagnosed abdominal wall defectsN Fratelli
Fetal Medicine Unit, Academic Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, UK
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 30:266-70. 2007..To examine the natural history and detailed outcome of antenatally diagnosed abdominal wall defects...
- Gastroschisis and exomphalos in Ireland 1998-2004. Does antenatal diagnosis impact on outcome?F L Murphy
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Our Lady s Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin 12, Dublin 12, Ireland
Pediatr Surg Int 23:1059-63. 2007..Despite this result, the importance of antenatal screening and prenatal management of complex foetal conditions with consultation with experienced paediatric and neonatal staff is without doubt...
- Gastroschisis and omphalocele: treatments and long-term outcomesKatharina Henrich
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Erlangen University Hospital, Erlangen, Germany
Pediatr Surg Int 24:167-73. 2008..Our long-term results clearly demonstrate that initial gastrointestinal problems and developmental delays were made up during the first two years of life. Prenatal counselling can now be more optimistic...
- Cardiac axis in fetuses with abdominal wall defectsS L Boulton
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 28:785-8. 2006..To investigate whether fetal cardiac axis is affected by the presence of an abdominal wall defect (AWD) independent of congenital heart disease (CHD)...
- Omphalocele associated with gastroschisis defect covered with skinStojan M Zivkovic
University Children s Hospital, 11000 Belgrade, Tirsova 10, Serbia and Montenegro
J Pediatr Surg 41:e31-3. 2006..We describe a rare case of omphalocele associated with gastroschisis defect covered with skin...
- The outcome of newborns with abdominal wall defects according to the method of abdominal closure: the experience of a single centerJoão Gilberto Maksoud-Filho
Service of Pediatric Surgery, Instituto da Criança Prof Pedro de Alcântara, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Pediatr Surg Int 22:503-7. 2006..Neonates with mesh closure of the abdomen have prolonged hospitalization. The use of a polypropylene mesh is a good alternative for neonates whose primary closure or closure after silo placement is not possible...
- Structural birth defects associated with omphalocele and gastroschisis, Hawaii, 1986-2001Mathias B Forrester
Hawaii Birth Defects Program, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 48:87-91. 2008..The associated birth defects tended to vary between omphalocele and gastroschisis, although there were a few similarities. Due to the small number of cases, further research involving larger amounts of data are warranted...
- OEIS sequence--a rare congenital anomaly with prenatal evaluation and postnatal outcome in six casesEleonor Tiblad
Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Prenat Diagn 28:141-7. 2008..To describe the outcome of children prenatally diagnosed with omphalocele, exstrophy of the cloaca, imperforate anus and spinal defects (OEIS)...
- Definitive surgical management of antenatally diagnosed exomphalosAshok Rijhwani
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Kings College Hospital, SE5 9RS London, UK
J Pediatr Surg 40:516-22. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: An aggressive surgical approach in infants with exomphalos is a safe option resulting in effective abdominal wall closure. This requires a skilled multidisciplinary approach and possibly greater resources than other options...
- [Anterior abdominal wall defects--retrospective analysis of fetuses diagnosed in the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology of the Postgraduate Center of Medical Education between 1997 & 2002]Anna Kucińska-Chahwan
Klinika Połoznictwa i Ginekologii CMKP, Warszawie
Ginekol Pol 75:831-9. 2004..Our objectives were to determine the risk of aneuploidy and anatomic anomalies in fetuses with different kinds of abdominal wall defects...
- Congenital abdominal wall defectsErica Weir
CMAJ 169:809-10. 2003
- Silo construction from a sterile adhesive film and polypropylene mesh in the repair of gastroschisis and omphaloceleV Bhatnagar
Department of Paediatric Surgery, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
Pediatr Surg Int 17:356-8. 2001..Survival was better in patients in whom primary closure could be achieved in both OMP and GS. Silo treatment was associated with higher mortality from septic causes...
- Omphalocele: clinical outcomes in cases with normal karyotypesAngela L Heider
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:135-41. 2004..Intracorporeal liver was not associated with increased rates of associated anomalies or was it associated with increased neonatal morbidity or mortality...
- Omphalocele: prenatal MR findingsG Verswijvel
Department of Radiology, Ziekenhuis Oost Limburg (ZOL, Genk, Belgium
JBR-BTR 85:200-2. 2002..The MR images provided adequate anatomical detail of the major abdominal viscera to evaluate the content and extent of the disease...
- Omphalocele and gastroschisis in the State of New York, 1992-1999Hamisu M Salihu
Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 67:630-6. 2003..This study examines the trend and risk factors for both conditions among live births in New York State...
- [Abdominal wall defects from 1961 to 2000--incidence, prenatal diagnosis and prevalence by maternal age]A Sipek
Ustav pro péci o matku a díte, Praha Podolí
Ceska Gynekol 67:255-60. 2002..Presentation of defects of the abdominal wall--omphalocele and gastroschisis--in the Czech Republic during 1961 to 2000. Analysis of the prevalence of these defects in different groups by maternal age...
- Morbidity and mortality of short-bowel syndrome in infants with abdominal wall defectsAnjani Thakur
Department of Pediatrics, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, Californlia 90095, USA
Am Surg 68:75-9. 2002..Tight abdominal closure of gastroschisis or omphalocele may cause bowel necrosis and SBS. TPN has improved the long-term survival and quality of life in infants with SBS...
- Omphalocele and gastrochisisH M Salihu
Department of Maternal and Child Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
J Obstet Gynaecol 22:489-92. 2002..20%). All the three cases of chromosomal anomalies were detected in omphalocele fetuses with an intracorporeal liver. Perinatal mortality was higher, albeit nonsignificantly, among fetuses with omphalocele...
- Prenatal diagnosis of Cantrell's pentalogy with conventional and three-dimensional sonographyG Leon
Prenatal Care Outpatient Sonography Unit, Enrique C Sotomayor Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Facultad de Medicina Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil, Guayaquil, Ecuador
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 12:209-11. 2002..We present a case of Cantrell's pentalogy diagnosed prenatally with conventional and three-dimensional sonographic imaging, and confirmed at birth. We discuss this case and the reports in the world literature...
- Relationship between cyclooxygenase 1 and 2 selective inhibitors and fetal development when administered to rats and rabbits during the sensitive periods for heart development and midline closureG D Cappon
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 68:47-56. 2003....
- Maternal obesity and risk for birth defectsMargaret L Watkins
Division of Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Pediatrics 111:1152-8. 2003....
- [Immediate neonatal surgery: initial experience in gastroschisis and omphalocele treatment in Northwestern Mexico]Alejandro V Gómez-Alcalá
Departamento de Cirugia Pediatrica, Hospital de Especialidades 1, Centro Medico Nacional Noroeste, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Ciudad Obregon, Sonora
Gac Med Mex 138:511-7. 2002..The present series, even if small, is useful to affirm the safety of a procedure such as INS for both mother and child; it may contribute to improve the results of treatment of fetuses with abdominal wall defects...
- Abdominal wall defects and congenital heart diseaseC Gibbin
Nemours Cardiac Center, AI duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE, USA
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 21:334-7. 2003....
- Advancement flap umbilicoplasty after abdominal wall closure: postoperative results compared with normal umbilical anatomyS L Lee
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of California at Davis, Medical Center, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Pediatr Surg 36:1168-70. 2001..When performing umbilicoplasty, attempt should be made to position the neoumbilicus as inferior as possible, optimally at two thirds the distance from the xiphoid to the pubis...
- Fetal omphalocele detected early in pregnancy: associated anomalies and outcomesShraga Blazer
Department of Neonatology, Rambam Medical Center and Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, 8 Ha Aliyah St, Haifa 35254, Israel
Radiology 232:191-5. 2004..To detect omphalocele and associated anomalies at ultrasonography (US) early in pregnancy and to describe the outcomes in fetuses with isolated and nonisolated omphalocele...
- [Morbidity and mortality in newborns with omphalocele and gastroschisis anterior abdominal wall defects]Heladia García
Unidad de Cuidados Intensivos Neonatales, Hospital de Pediatria, CMN Siglo XXI, IMSS Av Cuauhtemoc 330, Col Doctores, 06725 Mexico, D F
Gac Med Mex 138:519-26. 2002..To identify morbidity and mortality in newborns with congenital defects of the anterior abdominal wall...
- Congenital abdominal wall defects: an updateR Douglas Wilson
Center for Fetal Diagnosis and Treatment, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
Fetal Diagn Ther 19:385-98. 2004..To review published peer-reviewed literature regarding abdominal wall defects including gastroschisis and omphalocele...
- [Midgut malrotation risk in abdominal wall defect]A L Luis
, Hospital Infantil La Paz, Madrid
Cir Pediatr 17:125-8. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: Due to local conditions during first abdominal wall surgery that limit the evaluation of the malrotation, we must think about it when we find obstructive symptoms any time during life...
- The changing face of gastroschisis and omphalocele in southeast GeorgiaJ W Goldkrand
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Perinatal Center, Memorial Health University Medical Center, Savannah, Georgia, USA
J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 15:331-5. 2004..Maternal age continues to decrease for gastroschisis. In the study population, gender distribution showed a statistically significant variation between the defects...
- Anesthetic management of a patient with Cantrell's pentalogy diagnosed prenatallyTomoyo Saito
Can J Anaesth 51:946-7. 2004
- Omphalocele and gastroschisis: an 18-year review studyPei-Jen Hwang
Division of Genetics, Department of Pediatrics, University of South Florida College of Medicine, One Davis Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33606, USA
Genet Med 6:232-6. 2004..Cases with omphalocele had more syndromic and nonsyndromic anomalies, more chromosomal anomalies, a higher mortality rate, and older mothers...
- Early reconstruction of the abdominal wall in giant omphaloceleMario Zama
Plastic Surgery Unit, Children s Hospital Bambino Gesu, Piazza S Onofrio 4, 00165 Rome, Italy
Br J Plast Surg 57:749-53. 2004..The authors describe the use of two bipedicled flaps of abdominal skin to correct the defect of the midline as soon as the reduction of all viscera has been accomplished...
- Analysis of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug literature for potential developmental toxicity in rats and rabbitsJon C Cook
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Drug Safety Evaluation, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 68:5-26. 2003..High doses of aspirin produce developmental toxicity in rats (e.g., gastroschisis/umbilical hernia, diaphragmatic hernia [DH]) when administered during sensitive windows of development...
- Mucopolysaccharidosis VIVassili Valayannopoulos
Reference Center for Inherited Metabolic Diseases, Necker Enfants Malades Hospital, Paris, France
Orphanet J Rare Dis 5:5. 2010..sinusitis, otitis media, hearing loss, sleep apnea, corneal clouding, carpal tunnel disease, and inguinal or umbilical hernia. Although intellectual deficit is generally absent in MPS VI, central nervous system findings may include ..
- Surgical treatment for different forms of hernias in sheep and goatsFahd A Al-Sobayil
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Qassim University, Qassim, Saudi Arabia
J Vet Sci 8:185-91. 2007..There was one case of umbilical hernia with an umbilical abscess that had broken down with sepsis formation at the surgical site...
- Laparoscopic completely extraperitoneal repair of inguinal hernia in children: a single-institute experience with 1,257 repairs compared with cut-down herniorrhaphyMasao Endo
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Saitama City Hospital, 2460, Mimuro, Midori ku, Saitama shi, 336 8522, Japan
Surg Endosc 23:1706-12. 2009..We developed a unique technique to achieve completely extraperitoneal ligation of PPV without any skip areas under laparoscopic control. This report introduces our technique and results compared with the cut-down herniorrhaphy...
- Guidelines for safe surgery in patients with systemic mastocytosisCassius I Ochoa Chaar
Department of Surgery, Section of Hematology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06510, USA
Am Surg 75:74-80. 2009..We present two patients with systemic mastocytosis. One underwent open left inguinal hernia and umbilical hernia repair and the other laparoscopic ventral hernia repair...
- The immunomodulatory effects of extracellular Hsp70Derek Wheeler; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Incidence, risk factors, and consequences of neonatal hypothermia in NepalLUKE MULLANY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Examination of alternate cutoffs for defining hypothermia severity may improve design of low-cost technologies for identification and subsequent management of hypothermic infants in the community. ..
- The Role of Genetics in Innate Immunity Following CholestasisSAMUEL ALAISH; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Impact of Sunflower Oil Massage on Neonatal Mortality in NepalLuke C Mullany; Fiscal Year: 2010..If efficacious, sunflower seed oil can be promoted as a simple, low-cost intervention that can save the lives of babies in low-resource communities where mortality rates are highest. ..