Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological processes of the LIVER.
- Diamond I, Pencharz P, Feldman B, Ling S, Moore A, Wales P. Novel lipid-based approaches to pediatric intestinal failure-associated liver disease. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012;166:473-8 pubmed publisher..Therefore, there is currently insufficient evidence to support the use of these novel therapies as standard of care in children with no or early IFALD with the goal of preventing the progression of liver disease. ..
- El Khoury A, Klimack W, Wallace C, Razavi H. Economic burden of hepatitis C-associated diseases in the United States. J Viral Hepat. 2012;19:153-60 pubmed publisher..Hepatitis C imposes a high economic burden. Most cost analysis is more than 10 years old, and more research is required to update the sequelae costs associated with HCV infection. ..
- Masyuk A, Masyuk T, Larusso N. Exosomes in the pathogenesis, diagnostics and therapeutics of liver diseases. J Hepatol. 2013;59:621-5 pubmed publisher..In this review, we briefly summarize the recent findings on liver exosomes, their functions and significance for novel diagnostic and therapeutic approaches. ..
- Chen R, Hou W, Zhang Q, Kang R, Fan X, Tang D. Emerging role of high-mobility group box 1 (HMGB1) in liver diseases. Mol Med. 2013;19:357-66 pubmed publisher..The importance of HMGB1 activation in various forms of liver disease in relation to liver damage, steatosis, inflammation, fibrosis, tumorigenesis and regeneration is discussed in this review. ..
- Seidler S, Zimmermann H, Weiskirchen R, Trautwein C, Tacke F. Elevated circulating soluble interleukin-2 receptor in patients with chronic liver diseases is associated with non-classical monocytes. BMC Gastroenterol. 2012;12:38 pubmed publisher..Based on the essential pathogenic role of inflammation for progression of liver diseases, we hypothesized that sIL-2R might be an indicator of inflammatory cell activation and disease severity in ..
- Li D, Zhao H, Gelernter J. Further clarification of the contribution of the ADH1C gene to vulnerability of alcoholism and selected liver diseases. Hum Genet. 2012;131:1361-74 pubmed publisher..Our findings support that ADH1C Ile may lower the risk of AD and alcohol abuse as well as alcohol-related cirrhosis in pooled populations, with the strongest and most consistent effects in Asians...
- Recknagel P, Gonnert F, Westermann M, Lambeck S, Lupp A, Rudiger A, et al. Liver dysfunction and phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase signalling in early sepsis: experimental studies in rodent models of peritonitis. PLoS Med. 2012;9:e1001338 pubmed publisher..Further clinical work is necessary to extend these concepts into clinical practice. Please see later in the article for the Editors' Summary. ..
- Masyuk T, Radtke B, Stroope A, Banales J, Gradilone S, Huang B, et al. Pasireotide is more effective than octreotide in reducing hepatorenal cystogenesis in rodents with polycystic kidney and liver diseases. Hepatology. 2013;58:409-21 pubmed publisher..PAS is more effective than OCT in reducing hepatorenal cystogenesis in rodent models; therefore, it might be more beneficial for the treatment of PKD and PLD. ..
- Williams K, Shackel N, Gorrell M, McLennan S, Twigg S. Diabetes and nonalcoholic Fatty liver disease: a pathogenic duo. Endocr Rev. 2013;34:84-129 pubmed publisher..Emerging technology to help screen noninvasively for differing pathological forms of NAFLD and the potential role of preventive and therapeutic approaches for NAFLD in the setting of diabetes are also examined. ..
- Meier R, Muller Y, Morel P, Gonelle Gispert C, Buhler L. Transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of liver diseases, is there enough evidence?. Stem Cell Res. 2013;11:1348-64 pubmed publisher..from bench to bedside and over 280 clinical trials are registered, of which 28 focus on the treatment of liver diseases. If no severe side-effects were observed so far, long-term benefits remain uncertain...
- Shin S, Yang J, Ki S. Role of the Nrf2-ARE pathway in liver diseases. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2013;2013:763257 pubmed publisher..It is well documented that liver diseases including hepatitis, fibrosis, cirrhosis, and hepatocellular carcinoma are highly associated with antioxidant ..
- Mohamed H, Saad Z, Abd Elreheem E, Abd ElGhany W, Mohamed M, Abd Elnaeem E, et al. Hepatitis C, hepatitis B and HIV infection among Egyptian prisoners: seroprevalence, risk factors and related chronic liver diseases. J Infect Public Health. 2013;6:186-95 pubmed publisher..Public health strategies to prevent morbidity and mortality from these infections should include hepatitis B vaccination, HCV testing, counseling and medical management of infected prisoners. ..
- Coash M, Forouhar F, Wu C, Wu G. Granulomatous liver diseases: a review. J Formos Med Assoc. 2012;111:3-13 pubmed publisher..This article describes the common causes, presentation, histopathology, and manifestations of granulomatous diseases as well as various diagnostic and management strategies. ..
- Yang J, Xu M, Yan L, Chen X, Liu J. Zinc finger protein A20 protects rats against chronic liver allograft dysfunction. World J Gastroenterol. 2012;18:3537-50 pubmed publisher..A20 might prevent chronic liver allograft dysfunction by re-establishing functional homeostasis of KCs, LSECs and HSCs. ..
- Inflammation is a common element in the pathogenesis of most chronic liver diseases that lead to fibrosis and cirrhosis...
- Lee S, Chung W, Hyun K. Socioeconomic costs of liver disease in Korea. Korean J Hepatol. 2011;17:274-91 pubmed publisher..were projected for viral hepatitis (B15-B19), liver cirrhosis, malignant neoplasm of the liver (C22) and other liver diseases (K70-K76), as representative diseases by dividing costs into direct and indirect from 2004 to 2008...
- Davis T, Peters K, Bruce D, Davis W. Prevalence, incidence, and prognosis of hepatobiliary disease in community-based patients with type 2 diabetes: the Fremantle Diabetes Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97:1581-8 pubmed publisher..Multiple factors including fatty infiltration, microangiopathy, and direct glucotoxicity are likely to contribute, but hospitalization and death due to cirrhosis from nonalcoholic steatohepatitis appear uncommon. ..
- Schnabl B, Brenner D. Interactions between the intestinal microbiome and liver diseases. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:1513-24 pubmed publisher..We review how the combination of liver insult and disruptions in intestinal homeostasis contribute to liver disease...
- Ou Z, Shi X, Gilroy R, Kirisci L, Romkes M, Lynch C, et al. Regulation of the human hydroxysteroid sulfotransferase (SULT2A1) by RORÎ± and RORÎ³ and its potential relevance to human liver diseases. Mol Endocrinol. 2013;27:106-15 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results established SULT2A1 as a novel ROR target gene. The expression of RORs is a potential predictor for the expression of SULT2A1 as well as disease conditions. ..
- Zhang A, Sun H, Wang X. Recent advances in natural products from plants for treatment of liver diseases. Eur J Med Chem. 2013;63:570-7 pubmed publisher..in vegetables, fruits, plant extracts, herbs, insects, and animals, have been traditionally used for treating liver diseases. They are chemical compounds that usually have biological activities for use in drug discovery and design...
- Nan Y, Fu N, Li W, Kong L, Yuan X, Zhang S, et al. [An interpretation of the AASLD practice guideline on the diagnosis and management of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in 2017]. Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi. 2017;25:687-694 pubmed publisherThe American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) updated and published the Practice Guidance for the Diagnosis and Management of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD) in July 2017, which provides recommendations for the ..
- Nakaharai K, Sakamoto Y, Yaita K, Yoshimura Y, Igarashi S, Tachikawa N. Drug-induced liver injury associated with high-dose ceftriaxone: a retrospective cohort study adjusted for the propensity score. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2016;72:1003-11 pubmed publisher..Therefore, clinicians should carefully observe for signs of liver injury after high-dose ceftriaxone use. ..
- Santos E, Rodriguez A, Prieto C, Gil M, Fruhbeck G, Quiroga J, et al. [Factors modulating food intake and energy expenditure prior to liver transplantation]. An Sist Sanit Navar. 2016;39:105-14 pubmed publisher..The measurement of IGF-I/IGFBP3 represents a good marker of liver function in patients with LC. ..
- Haga H, Yan I, Borrelli D, Matsuda A, Parasramka M, Shukla N, et al. Extracellular vesicles from bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells protect against murine hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury. Liver Transpl. 2017;23:791-803 pubmed publisher..Liver Transplantation 23 791-803 2017 AASLD. ..
- Mazza G, Simons J, Al Shawi R, Ellmerich S, Urbani L, Giorgetti S, et al. Amyloid persistence in decellularized liver: biochemical and histopathological characterization. Amyloid. 2016;23:1-7 pubmed publisher..The primary structure of the fibrillar proteins remains intact and the amyloid fibrils retain their amyloid enhancing factor activity. ..
- Zoubek M, Trautwein C, Strnad P. Reversal of liver fibrosis: From fiction to reality. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2017;31:129-141 pubmed publisherIn chronic liver diseases, an ongoing hepatocellular injury together with inflammatory reaction results in activation of hepatic stellate cells (HSCs) and increased deposition of extracellular matrix (ECM) termed as liver fibrosis...
- Deol P, Fahrmann J, Yang J, Evans J, Rizo A, Grapov D, et al. Omega-6 and omega-3 oxylipins are implicated in soybean oil-induced obesity in mice. Sci Rep. 2017;7:12488 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a new class of compounds in diet-induced obesity-C18 epoxide and diol oxylipins...
- Han L, Li C, Sun B, Xie Y, Guan Y, Ma Z, et al. Protective Effects of Celastrol on Diabetic Liver Injury via TLR4/MyD88/NF-?B Signaling Pathway in Type 2 Diabetic Rats. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:2641248 pubmed publisher..We firstly found that celastrol treatment could delay the progression of diabetic liver disease in type 2 diabetic rats via inhibition of TLR4/MyD88/NF-?B signaling cascade pathways and its downstream inflammatory effectors. ..
- Wadkin J, Patten D, Kamarajah S, Shepherd E, Novitskaya V, Berditchevski F, et al. CD151 supports VCAM-1-mediated lymphocyte adhesion to liver endothelium and is upregulated in chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G138-G149 pubmed publisher..we show that CD151 is upregulated by distinct microenvironmental signals in a range of chronic inflammatory liver diseases and in primary liver cancer, in which it supports lymphocyte recruitment...
- Gounder P, Bulkow L, Meltzer M, Bruce M, Hennessy T, Snowball M, et al. Cost-effectiveness analysis of hepatocellular carcinoma screening by combinations of ultrasound and alpha-fetoprotein among Alaska Native people, 1983-2012. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2016;75:31115 pubmed publisherThe American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) recommends semi-annual hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) screening using ultrasound (US) in persons with chronic hepatitis B (CHB) virus infection at high risk for HCC such as ..
- Tan Y, Tu Y, Tian D, Li C, Zhong J, Guo Z. ST-elevation myocardial infarction following systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2015;26:e1-3 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be aware of this new type of myocardial infarction, which is induced by inflammatory injury, but is not due to a primary coronary event such as plaque erosion and/or rupture, fissuring or dissection. ..
- Hu C, Zhou N, Li J, Shi D, Cao H, Li J, et al. Porcine Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells Retain Their Stem Cell Characteristics and Cell Activities While Enhancing the Expression of Liver-Specific Genes after Acute Liver Failure. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..how ALF will influence the characteristics of ADMSCs and whether ADMSCs from patients suffering from end-stage liver diseases are potential candidates for autotransplantation...
- Li L, Gu X, Fang M, Ji J, Yi C, Gao C. The diagnostic value of serum fucosylated fetuin A in hepatitis B virus-related liver diseases. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2016;54:693-701 pubmed publisherSome changes of glycoproteins have been identified in the serum of patients with different liver diseases, which provided potential glycan biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and monitoring of disease progression...
- Gupta N, Kolachala V, Jiang R, Abramowsky C, Romero R, Fifadara N, et al. The glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist Exendin 4 has a protective role in ischemic injury of lean and steatotic liver by inhibiting cell death and stimulating lipolysis. Am J Pathol. 2012;181:1693-701 pubmed publisher..The rapidity of the effect and the clinical availability of Ex4 make this an attractive new therapeutic approach for treating fatty livers at the time of an ischemic insult...
- Dos Santos A, Rocha T, Borges C, Bailão A, de Almeida Soares C, de Sabóia Morais S. A glyphosate-based herbicide induces histomorphological and protein expression changes in the liver of the female guppy Poecilia reticulata. Chemosphere. 2017;168:933-943 pubmed publisher..reticulata, indicating that a histopathological assessment associated with a proteomic analysis provides a valuable approach to assess the toxic effects of GBH in sentinel fish species. ..
- Arai T, Yashima F, Yanagisawa R, Tanaka M, Shimizu H, Fukuda K, et al. Prognostic value of liver dysfunction assessed by MELD-XI scoring system in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Int J Cardiol. 2017;228:648-653 pubmed publisher..67, 0.58, 0.57, and 0.60, respectively). Evaluation of liver dysfunction according to MELD-XI score provides additional risk information for patients undergoing TAVI. ..
- Gillespie M, Rizzolo D. A systems-based approach to patient care after liver transplantation. JAAPA. 2017;: pubmed publisherLiver transplantation is a cure to many devastating acute and end-stage liver diseases. In the immediate postoperative period, patients are prone to graft, end-organ, and immunosuppressive complications...
- Tsou Y, Liu C, Fu K, Lin C, Lee M, Su M, et al. Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection of Superficial Esophageal Neoplasms Is Feasible and Not Riskier for Patients with Liver Cirrhosis. Dig Dis Sci. 2016;61:3565-3571 pubmed..Esophageal ESD seems to be safely and can be effectively performed on cirrhotic patients, particularly those without severe liver dysfunction. ..
- Won Y, Song J, Lim J, Lee M, Moon O, Kim H, et al. Genetically obese (ob/ob) mice are resistant to the lethal effects of thioacetamide hepatotoxicity. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;291:38-45 pubmed publisherObesity increases the risk of chronic liver diseases, including viral hepatitis, alcohol-induced liver disease, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis...
- Ruiz de Galarreta M, Lujambio A. Therapeutic editing of hepatocyte genome in vivo. J Hepatol. 2017;67:818-828 pubmed publisher..In the context of liver diseases, genome editing could be developed to treat not only hereditary monogenic liver diseases but also hepatitis B ..
- Kaffarnik M, Ahmadi N, Lock J, Wuensch T, Pratschke J, Stockmann M, et al. Correlation between plasma endothelin-1 levels and severity of septic liver failure quantified by maximal liver function capacity (LiMAx test). A prospective study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178237 pubmed publisher..Low LiMAx results combined with increased endothelin-1 and TNF-? and a favourable correlation between LiMAx and cytokine values support the findings of a crucial role of Endothelin-1 and TNF-? in development of septic liver failure. ..
- Wang S, Song J, Yang Y, Zhang Y, Chawla N, Ma J, et al. Interaction between obesity and the Hypoxia Inducible Factor 3 Alpha Subunit rs3826795 polymorphism in relation with plasma alanine aminotransferase. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:80 pubmed publisher..This study provides new evidence to the function of HIF3A gene, which would be helpful for future risk assessment and personalized treatment of liver diseases.
- Iwaki K, Yagi S, Iida T, Ogawa E, Masano Y, Tajima T, et al. Case Report of Extensive Isolated Spontaneous Celiac Trunk Dissection After Liver Transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2017;49:1956-1959 pubmed publisher..Several cases of ISCTD have been reported apart from LT, most of which were treated with conservative therapy. We conclude that conservative therapy could be the first choice in ISCTD even after LT. ..
- Scali E, Walshe T, Tiwari H, Harris A, Chang S. A Pictorial Review of Hepatobiliary Magnetic Resonance Imaging With Hepatocyte-Specific Contrast Agents: Uses, Findings, and Pitfalls of Gadoxetate Disodium and Gadobenate Dimeglumine. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2017;68:293-307 pubmed publisher..Finally, the pitfalls in the use of combined contrast agents in liver MRI are highlighted. ..
- Parker E, Roy T, D Adamo C, Wieland L. Probiotics and gastrointestinal conditions: An overview of evidence from the Cochrane Collaboration. Nutrition. 2018;45:125-134.e11 pubmed publisher..with a number of gastrointestinal (GI) conditions, including diarrhea, inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), and liver diseases. Probiotics, live microorganisms that may confer a health benefit to the host when consumed, are commonly used ..
- Furuta A, Tsubuki M, Endoh M, Miyamoto T, Tanaka J, Salam K, et al. Identification of Hydroxyanthraquinones as Novel Inhibitors of Hepatitis C Virus NS3 Helicase. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:18439-53 pubmed publisherHepatitis C virus (HCV) is an important etiological agent of severe liver diseases, including cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma...
- Komura T, Ohta H, Seike T, Shimizu Y, Nakai R, Omura H, et al. The Efficacy of Corticosteroid Therapy in a Patient with Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Overlapping Autoimmune Hepatitis: A Case Report. Intern Med. 2017;: pubmed publisherThe overlap of multiple liver diseases can cause the disease activity and severity to worsen rapidly in some cases. We rarely see patients with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) with overlapping autoimmune hepatitis (AIH)...
- Jarido V, Kennedy L, Hargrove L, Demieville J, Thomson J, Stephenson K, et al. The emerging role of mast cells in liver disease. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G89-G101 pubmed publisher..This review focuses primarily on liver diseases and mast cells during autoimmune disease, hepatitis, fatty liver disease, liver cancer, and aging in the liver...
- Momtazi A, Derosa G, Maffioli P, Banach M, Sahebkar A. Role of microRNAs in the Therapeutic Effects of Curcumin in Non-Cancer Diseases. Mol Diagn Ther. 2016;20:335-45 pubmed publisher..Curcumin was found to modulate the expression of several pathogenic miRs in brain, ocular, renal, and liver diseases. The present systematic review was conducted to identify miRs that are regulated by curcumin in non-cancer ..
- Yu Y, Wang X, Nyberg S. Potential and Challenges of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells in Liver Diseases Treatment. J Clin Med. 2014;3:997-1017 pubmed publisher..of human hepatocytes and hold great promise for applications in regenerative medicine, drug screening and liver diseases modelling...
- Chen Y, Sun R, Wu X, Cheng M, Wei H, Tian Z. CD4+CD25+ Regulatory T Cells Inhibit Natural Killer Cell Hepatocytotoxicity of Hepatitis B Virus Transgenic Mice via Membrane-Bound TGF-Î² and OX40. J Innate Immun. 2016;8:30-42 pubmed publisher..hepatic immune responses, but the roles are not well explored in natural killer (NK) cell-mediated liver diseases. In this study, using the NK cell-mediated oversensitive liver injury model of hepatitis B virus transgenic (..