Summary: Twisting of the STOMACH that may result in gastric ISCHEMIA and GASTRIC OUTLET OBSTRUCTION. It is often associated with DIAPHRAGMATIC HERNIA.
- Green J, Cimino Brown D, Agnello K. Preoperative thoracic radiographic findings in dogs presenting for gastric dilatation-volvulus (2000-2010): 101 cases. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio). 2012;22:595-600 pubmed publisher..The main limitations of this study include the possibilities of type I and type II errors, the retrospective nature of the study, and the lack of well-defined criteria for obtaining thoracic radiographs. ..
- Ndzengue A, Bann S. An unusual cause of postoperative gastric volvulus. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2008;18:77-9 pubmed publisher..However, if this occurs in the early postoperative period the drains should be removed to ensure resolution. ..
- Sato K, Filipi C, Shiino Y, Mittal S, Zacher K, Gardner G, et al. An unusual case of gastric volvulus after laparoscopic paraesophageal hernia repair. Surg Endosc. 2001;15:757 pubmed..We report an unusual complication that seems congenital in origin. Diagnostic and corrective measures are suggested. ..
- Mayo A, Erez I, Lazar L, Rathaus V, Konen O, Freud E. Volvulus of the stomach in childhood: the spectrum of the disease. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2001;17:344-8 pubmed..For this, as well as for other stated reasons, symptomatic gastric volvulus in infancy and childhood may not be as rare as is commonly assumed. ..
- Thorpe J, Foroulis C, Shah S. A rare complication of pneumonectomy: hiatal hernia associated with gastric volvulus. Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2007;15:518-20 pubmed..The mechanism of post-pneumonectomy intermittent gastric volvulus and the techniques of surgical repair are discussed. ..
- Liu H, Lau K. Wandering spleen: an unusual association with gastric volvulus. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;188:W328-30 pubmed
- Iso Y, Tagaya N, Nemoto T, Kita J, Sawada T, Kubota K. Incarceration of a large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma arising from the proximal stomach with an organoaxial gastric volvulus through an esophageal hiatal hernia: report of a case. Surg Today. 2009;39:148-52 pubmed publisher..The details of this case are reported with some bibliographical comments. ..
- Sookpotarom P, Vejchapipat P, Chongsrisawat V, Mahayosnond A. Gastric volvulus caused by percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy: a case report. J Pediatr Surg. 2005;40:e21-3 pubmed..We report a case of gastric volvulus, an unusual complication, after percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy procedure in our institution. ..
- Al Assiri A, Wiseman N, Bunge M. Prenatal diagnosis of intrathoracic stomach (gastric herniation). J Pediatr Surg. 2005;40:E15-7 pubmed..The ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging features of this congenital abnormality are described. A review of the literature would indicate that this is the first case report of gastric volvulus diagnosed in utero. ..
- Ullmann B, Seehaus N, Hungerbühler S, Meyer Lindenberg A. Gastric dilatation volvulus: a retrospective study of 203 dogs with ventral midline gastropexy. J Small Anim Pract. 2016;57:18-22 pubmed publisher..The gastropexy site did not appear to interfere with subsequent coeliotomy. ..
- Garel C, Blouet M, Belloy F, Petit T, Pelage J. Diagnosis of pediatric gastric, small-bowel and colonic volvulus. Pediatr Radiol. 2016;46:130-8 pubmed publisher..Treatment is usually surgical. This pictorial essay describes the embryological development and discusses the clinical and radiologic presentation of volvulus, depending on location, and details the appropriate radiologic examinations. ..
- Al Salem A. Reply to F. Andiran: intrathoracic gastric volvulus in infancy. Pediatr Radiol. 2002;32:147 pubmed
- Shaoul R, Toubi A. A case of an upside-down stomach. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2006;43:698 pubmed
- Hsu Y, Perng C, Chen C, Tsai J, Lin H. Conservative management of chronic gastric volvulus: 44 cases over 5 years. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16:4200-5 pubmed..58, 95% CI: 1.08-6.13, P = 0.033). Symptomatic recurrence of chronic GV is very common although serious complications infrequently occur with conservative management. Peritoneal adhesion is independently associated with recurrence. ..
- Chattopadhyay A. Neonatal gastric volvulus: another cause of "Mucousy baby" with gasless abdomen. Indian J Pediatr. 2010;77:691-2 pubmed publisher..The authors describe a case presenting with these atypical findings and stress the importance of the plain radiograph chest to make a diagnosis. ..
- Marconato L. Gastric dilatation-volvulus as complication after surgical removal of a splenic haemangiosarcoma in a dog. J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2006;53:371-4 pubmed..Splenectomy to remove a voluminous splenic tumour may predispose to GDV and dogs may benefit from concurrent prophylactic gastropexy. ..
- Sharma S, Gopal S. Gastric volvulus with perforation in association with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Indian J Pediatr. 2004;71:948 pubmed..The first case developed pyoperitoneum postoperatively, was reexplored but succumbed to septicaemia. The second baby had a favourable postoperative outcome. ..
- Jabbour G, Afifi I, Ellabib M, El Menyar A, Al Thani H. Spontaneous Acute Mesenteroaxial Gastric Volvulus Diagnosed by Computed Tomography Scan in a Young Man. Am J Case Rep. 2016;17:283-8 pubmed..High index of suspicion, early diagnosis and prompt surgical management are important for favorable outcome in patients with acute spontaneous gastric volvulus. ..
- Zawaideh C, Aste M, Cutuli O, Budaj I, Bezante G, Brunelli C, et al. Transient left ventricular and stomach apical ballooning syndromes: when the trigger is also a clinical emergency. Am J Emerg Med. 2014;32:108.e1-3 pubmed publisher..Only early determination of the true cause of apical ballooning syndrome ensures a proper treatment. ..
- Finech B, Narjis Y, El Mansouri M, Louzi A, Benelkhayat R, el Idrissi Dafali A. [Acute strangulation of the stomach by a mesenterial-diaphragmatic band adhesion: a case report]. J Chir (Paris). 2008;145:61-3 pubmed
- GÃ¡lvez Valdovinos R, MarÃn SantillÃ¡n E, Funes RodrÃguez J, LÃ³pez Ambriz G. [Laparoscopic gastric sleeve in gastric volvulus secondary to diaphragmatic eventration in an adult patient]. Cir Cir. 2016;84:140-3 pubmed publisher..The gastric sleeve is an excellent alternative to avoid recurrence of gastric volvulus. ..
- Maeng J, Lee H, Jang J, Park B, Nah B, Kim Y, et al. [Acute gastric volvulus due to diaphragmatic hernia]. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2003;42:544-8 pubmed..We report a case of an acute incarcerated gastric volvulus due to a left-sided diaphragmatic hernia in an adult male patient, which was treated successfully by operation. ..
- Berindoague R, Targarona E, Pala X, Balague C, Martinez C, Hernandez P, et al. Unusual upper gastrointestinal diseases associated with achalasia: laparoscopic approach. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:719-23 pubmed..This study aimed to evaluate the incidence of gastroesophageal diseases associated with achalasia, and to determine the possibility for simultaneous management using the laparoscopic approach...
- Munteanu A, Munteanu M, Surlin V, Dilof R. [Upside-down stomach and hiatal hernia]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2012;107:399-403 pubmed..The ideal surgical technique, the gold standard, consists in reduction of the stomach in the gastric lodge, resection of the sac and calibration of the hiatus adding a gastropexy or antireflux procedure. ..
- Basaran U, Inan M, Ayhan S, Aydiner C, Ayvaz S, Ceylan T, et al. Acute gastric volvulus due to deficiency of the gastrocolic ligament in a newborn. Eur J Pediatr. 2002;161:288-90 pubmed..Stamm gastrostomy was performed for fixation and there has been no recurrence of his symptoms during a 13-month post-operative period. Stamm gastrostomy is a viable treatment of gastric volvulus due to lack of the gastrocolic ligament. ..
- Bhasin D, Rana S, Chandail V, Masoodi I, Nanda M, Nadkarni N, et al. Secondary gastric volvulus after successful resolution of perisplenic pseudocyst by endoscopic transpapillary nasopancreatic drainage. Gastrointest Endosc. 2007;65:940-2 pubmed
- Ito T, Hasnie R, Crosby D, Milbrandt J, Ettema S, Duong M. Gastric volvulus complication in an infant with undiagnosed congenital diaphragmatic hernia presenting with acute respiratory distress. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012;28:1078-80 pubmed publisher..Treatment includes early resuscitation, a definitive airway, and emergent surgery to prevent ischemic necrosis of the stomach owing to strangulation, gastric perforation, and serious cardiorespiratory decompensation. ..
- Koga H, Yamataka A, Kobayashi H, Lane G, Miyano T. Laparoscopy-assisted gastropexy for gastric volvulus in a child with situs inversus, asplenia, and major cardiac anomaly. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2007;17:513-6 pubmed..This is the first report about the successful application of laparoscopy for performing a gastropexy procedure in a child with gastric volvulus, situs inversus, major cardiac anomaly, and asplenia. ..
- Bredal W. Pneumonyssoides caninum infection--a risk factor for gastric dilatation-volvulus in dogs. Vet Res Commun. 1998;22:225-31 pubmed..08 (1.02-1.13) and 1.37 (1.04-1.79), respectively. Gender was not found to be a significant risk factor for GDV. This study suggests that nasal mite infection may contribute to the development of GDV in otherwise predisposed dogs...
- Belandria G, Pavletic M, Boulay J, Penninck D, Schwarz L. Gastropexy with an automatic stapling instrument for the treatment of gastric dilatation and volvulus in 20 dogs. Can Vet J. 2009;50:733-40 pubmed..There were no complications involving the gastropexy staple line. The results of this study indicate that an effective and consistent permanent gastropexy can be created, using surgical stapling equipment. ..
- Kyzer S, Raziel A, Landau O, Matz A, Charuzi I. Use of adjustable silicone gastric banding for revision of failed gastric bariatric operations. Obes Surg. 2001;11:66-9 pubmed..2+/-3.32 to 25.4+/-2.8 kg/m2 for patients operated with BMI lower than 35 kg/m2. ASBG can be performed with revisions with an acceptable complication rate and postoperative weight reduction. ..
- Ye D, Kam L, Traore S, Cisse R, Bougouma A, Sanou I, et al. [Resolutive stomach volvulus after endoscopy in a 16-month-old infant]. Arch Pediatr. 2004;11:462-3 pubmed
- Grosche A, Furll M, Wittek T. Peritoneal fluid analysis in dairy cows with left displaced abomasum and abomasal volvulus. Vet Rec. 2012;170:413 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that anti-inflammatory therapy is indicated in each cow with abomasal displacement. Additionally, medical treatment should be directed to prevent complications of ischaemia and reperfusion in cows with AV. ..
- Goldhammer M, Haining H, Milne E, Shaw D, Yool D. Assessment of the incidence of GDV following splenectomy in dogs. J Small Anim Pract. 2010;51:23-8 pubmed publisher..469). No association between a current episode of GDV and previous splenectomy was found. Splenectomy is not associated with an increase in the incidence of GDV. ..
- Yang H, Min T, Ryu H, Pyun B. CR4/112--Congenital isolated tracheal stenosis with organoaxial gastric volvulus. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2006;7 Suppl 1:S326-7 pubmed
- Tang S, Daram S, Wu R, Bhaijee F. Pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management of gastric ischemia. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014;12:246-52.e1 pubmed publisher..Gastric ischemia has a poor prognosis. Early diagnosis is required for appropriate patient management. ..
- Israeli I, Steiner J, Segev G, Kass P, Suchodolski J, Sattasathuchana P, et al. Serum pepsinogen-A, canine pancreatic lipase immunoreactivity, and C-reactive protein as prognostic markers in dogs with gastric dilatation-volvulus. J Vet Intern Med. 2012;26:920-8 pubmed publisher..Presurgical cPG-A concentration was positively and significantly associated with gastric wall lesion severity, but, based on ROC analysis, it was only a moderate outcome predictor. CRP and cPLI were commonly increased in dogs with GDV. ..
- Testini M, Vacca A, Lissidini G, Di Venere B, Gurrado A, Loizzi M. Acute intrathoracic gastric volvulus from a diaphragmatic hernia after left splenopancreatectomy: Report of a case. Surg Today. 2006;36:981-4 pubmed..The mechanisms of volvulus and diaphragmatic hernia with the relative diagnostic and therapeutic implications are discussed after this case report. ..
- Hellebrekers L, Sap R. [Anesthesia in the patient with stomach dilatation-volvulus]. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 1991;116:130-6 pubmed..Especially with the potent sufentanil in combination with midazolam, an excellent anaesthesia for patients with gastric dilatation-volvulus can be achieved. ..
- Akamatsu T, Nakamura N, Kiyosawa K, Ikegami T, Hashikura Y, Miyagawa S, et al. Gastric volvulus in living, related liver transplantation donors and usefulness of endoscopic correction. Gastrointest Endosc. 2002;55:55-7 pubmed..The frequency of gastric volvulus among donors involved in living, related liver transplantation is high. Endoscopic correction of the volvulus is useful in dealing with this complication. ..
- Coulier B, Ramboux A, Maldague P. Intraabdominal counter clockwise gastric volvulus incarcerated through a defect of the lesser omentum: CT diagnosis. JBR-BTR. 2007;90:519-23 pubmed..In the reported case coronal oblique MPR views and vascular volume rendering views (VR) were of particular interest for the preoperative diagnosis. ..
- Rawat J, Rashid K, Sinha S, Singh S, Parihar D. Congenital paraesophageal hiatal hernia with intrathoracic gastric volvulus in an infant: a case report with radiographic sequence. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008;24:467-70 pubmed
- Donkervoort S, van Ramshorst B, Timmer R. Volvulus of gastric tube reconstruction after transhiatal esophagectomy: an endoscopic solution. Endoscopy. 2004;36:1034 pubmed
- Anaya Ayala J, Naik Mathuria B, Olutoye O. Delayed presentation of congenital diaphragmatic hernia manifesting as combined-type acute gastric volvulus: a case report and review of the literature. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:E35-9 pubmed publisher..Our patient represents the 27th case and the first combined type acute gastric volvulus case. ..
- Coulier B, Ramboux A. Acute obstructive gastric volvulus diagnosed by helical CT. JBR-BTR. 2002;85:43 pubmed
- Laurent S, Grayet D, Lavigne C. Acute and chronic gastric volvulus: radical different prognosis and management. Case report. Acta Chir Belg. 2010;110:76-9 pubmed..The treatment was elective with closure of the hiatus, Nissen procedure and gastropexy. The pathophysiology, classification and treatment of those two kinds of volvulus are briefly reviewed. ..
- Skach J, Skaryd A. [Upside down stomach]. Rozhl Chir. 2012;91:670-8 pubmed..The recent view on the treatment strategy with a rare diagnosis of gastric volvulus with the help of a literature review inspired by the case of the elderly patient with "upside down stomach". ..
- Irtan S, Forestier D, Scesa J, Nini E, Gayard P, Pezet D. [Gastric necrosis following gastroplasty]. Presse Med. 2004;33:718-20 pubmed..Early diagnosis permits conservative treatment before the onset of necrosis. Care must be taken when using this technique, which has not yet proved its innocuousness, and regular follow-up of the patient is crucial. ..