Summary: Bursting of the STOMACH.
- Zaharie F, Iancu C, Tantau M, Mocan L, Bartos A, Mihăileanu F, et al. [Laparoscopic treatment of a large trichobezoar in the stomach with gastric perforation and abdominal wall abscess]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2010;105:713-6 pubmed..Several laparoscopic approaches were described for the treatment of tricobezoar and its complications but as far as we know this is the first report of laparoscopic treatment of large tricobezoar and associate gastric perforation. ..
- Suzaki N, Hiraki A, Ueoka H, Aoe M, Takigawa N, Kishino T, et al. Gastric perforation due to metastasis from adenocarcinoma of the lung. Anticancer Res. 2002;22:1209-12 pubmed..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case of chemotherapy-induced gastric perforation as a complication of lung cancer treatment. ..
- Nagi B, Lal A, Kochhar R, Bhasin D, Thapa B, Singh K. Perforations and fistulae in gastrointestinal tuberculosis. Acta Radiol. 2002;43:501-6 pubmed..There has been no report on radiological series regarding the incidence of perforation and fistulae, detected by barium contrast studies...
- Donoso Fuentes A, Arriagada Santis D, Cruces Romero P, Díaz Rubio F. [Idiopathic gastric rupture in toddler: case report]. Arch Argent Pediatr. 2012;110:e21-4 pubmed publisher..Peritoneal lavage via laparotomy and percutaneous drainage of the residual collections were performed. She completed 3 weeks of antibacterial and antifungal therapies with adequate outcome. Her follow-up in 12 months was uneventful. ..
- Ozgun Y, Ergul E, Sisman I, Kusdemir A. Gastric adenocarcinoma and GIST (collision tumors) of the stomach presenting with perforation; first report. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2009;110:504-5 pubmed..Also, tumor perforation is very rare. This is the first case of gastrointestinal stromal tumor synchronous with primary gastric adenocarcinoma presented with perforation (Fig. 1, Ref. 6). ..
- Angel C, Chand N, Sankar A, Rowen J, Murillo C. Gastric wall erosion by an amebic liver abscess in a 3-year-old girl. Pediatr Surg Int. 2000;16:429-30 pubmed..ALAs in children can have atypical presentations, resulting in delayed diagnosis and increased morbidity and mortality. Timely treatment is usually followed by complete recovery. ..
- Kadohira I, Miyakoshi K, Shimojima N, Matsumoto T, Minegishi K, Tanaka M, et al. Fetal stomach paracentesis in combined duodenal and esophageal atresia. J Med Ultrason (2001). 2014;41:397-400 pubmed publisher..Fetal stomach paracentesis could contribute to the improvement of perinatal outcomes in fetuses with this pathological condition. ..
- Tatekawa Y, Hoshino N, Urita Y, Kudou S, Komuro H, Hori T, et al. Omental pseudocyst formation associated with perforated gastric duplication: a case report. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:e27-9 pubmed publisher..Gastric duplications can be complicated with perforation and malignancy, and primary surgery is the first choice of treatment. ..
- Cadenas Rodríguez L, Martí de Gracia M, Saturio Galán N, Pérez Dueñas V, Salvatierra Arrieta L, Garzón Moll G. [Use of multidetector computed tomography for locating the site of gastrointestinal tract perforations]. Cir Esp. 2013;91:316-23 pubmed publisher..MDCT is useful for locating the site of GI perforation, with a high sensitivity (80%) and an excellent agreement between radiologists. ..
- Chouteau W, Green D. Neonatal gastric perforation. J Perinatol. 2003;23:345-7 pubmed
- Tejerina Alvarez E, Holanda M, López Espadas F, Domínguez M, Ots E, Díaz Regañón J. Gastric rupture from blunt abdominal trauma. Injury. 2004;35:228-31 pubmed..5%. We emphasise an early diagnosis and aggressive surgical treatment as a key to decreasing the mortality and morbidity from this injury. However, in our series, the morbidity is mainly from associated injuries...
- Morcillo López I, Hidalgo Mora J, Baamonde A, Diaz Garcia C. Gastric and diaphragmatic rupture in early pregnancy. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010;11:713-4 pubmed publisher..She was diagnosed with diaphragmatic rupture complicated by a gastric rupture. ..
- Shah M, Bittner J, Edwards M. Rett syndrome and gastric perforation. Am Surg. 2008;74:315-7 pubmed..Consideration of gastric necrosis and perforation in patients with Rett Syndrome may lead to earlier intervention and decreased mortality. ..
- Kirschniak A, Traub F, Kueper M, Stüker D, Konigsrainer A, Kratt T. Endoscopic treatment of gastric perforation caused by acute necrotizing pancreatitis using over-the-scope clips: a case report. Endoscopy. 2007;39:1100-2 pubmed..The lesion was closed with two clips and the patient recovered well without reinterventions. The lesions showed normal healing on follow-up. ..
- Fearing N, Harrison P. Complications of the heimlich maneuver: case report and literature review. J Trauma. 2002;53:978-9 pubmed
- Zappa L, Savady R, Sugarbaker P. Gastric perforation following cytoreductive surgery with perioperative intraperitoneal chemotherapy. J Surg Oncol. 2010;101:634-6 pubmed publisher..Reperitonealization of the greater curvature, if seromuscular tears occur, may help prevent this complication. ..
- Yamout S, Nieto J, Anderson J, De Cock H, Vapniarsky N, Aleman M. Pathological evidence of pancreatitis in 43 horses (1986-2011). Equine Vet J Suppl. 2012;:45-50 pubmed
- Kleanthis A, Mouravas V, Lampropoulos V, Babatseva E, Spyridakis I. Laparoscopic evaluation and management of isolated gastric rupture in a boy after blunt abdominal injury. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:173 pubmed publisher..The accumulation of relevant experience is mandatory in order to establish this modality in the diagnostic and therapeutic protocols. ..
- Petri N, Vranjković Petri L, Aras N, Druzijanic N. Gastric rupture in a diver due to rapid ascent. Croat Med J. 2002;43:42-4 pubmed..On surgery, a 4-cm rupture of the lesser curvature was found and sutured. The patient was discharged eight days after the event. ..
- Register B, Hansel D, Hutchins G, Levey E, Sponseller P, Leet A. Postoperative gastric rupture in children with cerebral palsy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005;25:280-2 pubmed..Since the only cure for gastric rupture is prompt surgical attention, orthopaedists should consider gastric rupture in the differential diagnosis of a postsurgical CP patient who becomes acutely unstable. ..
- Beninson J, Keller J, Hoenerhoff M. Diffuse Infiltrative Gastrointestinal Lipomatosis in a Guinea Pig (Cavia porcellus). Comp Med. 2015;65:420-3 pubmed..This report is the first description of this rare disease in guinea pigs, and the concurrent involvement of both the stomach and intestines has not been reported in any veterinary species. ..
- Begossi G, Danielson P, Hirsh M. Transection of the stomach after blunt injury in the pediatric population. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:1604-7 pubmed..We present a case report from our institution and reviewed the international literature focusing on the pediatric patient to illustrate this injury in terms of mechanism of injury, clinical presentation, and surgical management. ..
- Goh P, Kim E, Kim Y, Lee S, Moon H, Kim S, et al. [A case of gastric lymphoepithelioma-like carcinoma presenting as panperitonitis by perforation of stomach]. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2011;58:208-11 pubmed..An emergent laparotomy was performed followed by radical subtotal gastrectomy. Pathologic examination revealed that the tumor was a lymphoepithelioma-like gastric carcinoma. ..
- Borst G, van der Weij P, Vos J. [Idiopathic gastric rupture in a Friesian foal]. Tijdschr Diergeneeskd. 2004;129:270-1 pubmed..In this case hypodypsia may have been (partially) responsible for the impaction as only a mechanical drinking apparatus, unsuitably for horses, was available. ..
- Hyodo H, Nitsu T, Yoshizawa K, Unno N, Aoki T, Taketani Y. A case of a fetus with gastric perforation associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2002;20:518-9 pubmed
- Libeer F, Vanhamel N, Huyghe M, Verlinden E. Spontaneous gastric rupture in non-neonatal children: a case report. Acta Chir Belg. 2007;107:560-3 pubmed..The child survived following intensive postoperative care. All articles on spontaneous idiopathic gastric rupture in pre-school age children have only been reported in Japanese and Chinese literature. ..
- Rakoto Ratsimba H, Rakotoarisoa B, Samison L, Belalahy V, Ranaivozanany A. [Spontaneous gastric perforation in a neonate. A case report]. Arch Pediatr. 2004;11:1067-9 pubmed..After a brief resuscitation, an isolated perforation of the stomach was discovered on laparotomy and was sutured. Outcome of spontaneous gastric perforation in newborns is favourable provided the disease is early recognised and treated. ..
- Rao S, Solaymani Mohammadi S, Petri W, Parker S. Hepatic amebiasis: a reminder of the complications. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009;21:145-9 pubmed publisher..In addition to highlighting the complications of amebic liver abscess, this case demonstrates the value of PCR testing as a diagnostic and molecular tool. ..
- van Schaik A, Klumpers U, de Gast H, Kubbe D, Stek M. Gastric rupture after electroconvulsive therapy. J ECT. 2006;22:153-4 pubmed..We review the literature and discuss ECT and potential risk factors relevant to the pathophysiology of gastric rupture. Furthermore, recommendations are proposed for clinical management. ..
- Vogelaar F, Adhin S, Schuttevaer H. Delayed intrathoracic gastric perforation after obesity surgery: a severe complication. Obes Surg. 2008;18:745-6 pubmed publisher..After an urgent laparotomy during which the stomach was replaced and oversewn, she recovered uneventfully. The possible mechanism of this severe complication is discussed. ..
- Gallardo A, Rosado R, Ramirez D, Medina P, Mezquita S, Sanchez J. Rupture of the lesser gastric curvature after a Heimlich maneuver. Surg Endosc. 2003;17:1495 pubmed..Laparoscopic surgery can be technically reproduced in the treatment of gastric injury as a result of closed abdominal traumatism. ..
- Aydin M, Yasar M, Aslaner A, Yazici B, Ertas E. Volvulated paraoesophageal gastric herniation with perforation into bursa omentalis: report of a case. Acta Chir Belg. 2006;106:257-60 pubmed..Site of gastric perforation may be directed towards bursa omentalis as well as to peritoneal cavity. A case of a volvulated paraoesophageal gastric herniation ruptured to bursa omentalis is discussed with the review of the literature. ..
- Vasquez A, Dominguez C, Perdomo C. Spontaneous gastric rupture after Sodium Bicarbonate consumption: A case report. Radiography (Lond). 2017;23:e62-e64 pubmed publisher..We report a case of stomach rupture after the ingestion of Sodium Bicarbonate (SB); imaging findings with a brief review of the literature are ..
- Jean Lavaleur M, Perrier V, Roze H, Sarrabay P, Fleureau C, Janvier G. [Stomach rupture associated with noninvasive ventilation]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2009;28:588-91 pubmed publisher..We report the case of a gastric perforation associated with NIPPV. The treatment was closure with a primary interrupted two-layer suture. Recovery was complete and the patient was transferred to the ward on Day 11. ..
- Whyte L, Soundappan S, Harvey J, Cass D. Traumatic prepyloric transection: unusual injury in a child. J Pediatr Surg. 2006;41:e23-4 pubmed..Abdominal computed tomography was useful in the diagnosis of pneumoperitoneum associated with hollow viscous injury. Rapid diagnosis and surgical repair of this unusual injury resulted in an uncomplicated recovery. ..
- Arora A, Tyagi P, Gupta A, Arora V, Sharma P, Kumar M, et al. Pseudoaneurysm of the inferior phrenic artery presenting as an upper gastrointestinal bleed by directly rupturing into the stomach in a patient with chronic pancreatitis. Ann Vasc Surg. 2012;26:860.e9-11 pubmed publisher..We report here the first case of UGIB from the inferior left phrenic artery pseudoaneurysm rupturing directly into the stomach of a patient with chronic pancreatitis. ..
- Mathur N, Gupta A. Neonatal zygomycosis with gastric perforation. Indian Pediatr. 2013;50:699-701 pubmed..The clinical presentation is non-specific and diagnosis most often is made at autopsy. Surgical debridement performed early improves survival. We report a case of neonatal zygomycosis with gastric perforation. ..
- Pappano D, Bass E. Referred shoulder pain preceding abdominal pain in a teenage girl with gastric perforation. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2006;22:807-9 pubmed..The range of causes of gastric perforation and the pathophysiology of referred shoulder pain are discussed. ..
- Lajevardi S, Gundara J, Collins S, Samra J. Acute Gastric Rupture in a Giant Inguinoscrotal Hernia. J Gastrointest Surg. 2015;19:2283-5 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this case illustrates that adherence to the principles of hernia repair can equip the surgeon to deal with rare and unfamiliar presentations. ..
- Titu L, Laden G, Purdy G, Wedgwood K. Gastric barotrauma in a scuba diver: report of a case. Surg Today. 2003;33:299-301 pubmedb>Stomach rupture can occur as a consequence of the expansion of compressed air during rapid ascent after diving...
- Buschmann C, Tsokos M. [Iatrogenic trauma following resuscitation measures]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2008;133:1244-8 pubmed publisher..We differentiate between frequent and rare injuries. Factors of influence are duration and intensity of the resuscitation attempts, age of the patient as well as a coagulate-inhibiting medication. ..
- Laczniak A, Sato Y, Nashelsky M. Postmortem gastric perforation (gastromalacia) mimicking abusive injury in sudden unexplained infant death. Pediatr Radiol. 2011;41:1595-7 pubmed publisher..It is important for radiologists to recognize this entity so as not to mistake it for bowel perforation caused by antemortem pathology, including inflicted trauma. ..
- Stevenson D, Heinemann J, Angulo M, Butler M, Loker J, Rupe N, et al. Gastric rupture and necrosis in Prader-Willi syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;45:272-4 pubmed..The physician should consider an emergent evaluation for gastric rupture and necrosis in individuals with PWS who present with vomiting and abdominal pain. ..
- Vandy F, Landrum J, Gerig N, Prahlow J. Death due to late-presenting congenital diaphragmatic hernia in a 2-year-old child. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2008;29:75-9 pubmed publisher..Autopsy revealed a CDH, with herniation of abdominal contents into the left thoracic cavity, with associated gastric volvulus, necrosis, and rupture. ..
- Hill L, Huang S, Gagea M. Diaphragmatic Hernia of the Stomach with Gastric Rupture in a Domestic Pig. Comp Med. 2016;66:399-404 pubmed..Trauma was considered the most likely cause of the diaphragmatic tear and subsequent herniation and rupture of the stomach. ..
- Nelson M, Maksimova Y, Schulz V, Bizzarro M, Gallagher P. Late-onset Leclercia adecarboxylata sepsis in a premature neonate. J Perinatol. 2013;33:740-2 pubmed publisher..This report describes the clinical and laboratory features of this case of late-onset L. adecarboxylata sepsis, and reviews significant features of infection associated with this emerging pathogen. ..
- Koutelidakis I, Dragoumis D, Papaziogas B, Patsas A, Katsougianopoulos A, Atmatzidis S, et al. Gastric perforation and death after the insertion of an intragastric balloon. Obes Surg. 2009;19:393-6 pubmed publisher..The patient had been subjected to intragastric placement of an inflatable balloon 48 h prior to his presentation. Abdominal exploration revealed the presence of a large linear perforation in the fundus of the stomach. ..
- Garg P, Godara R, Dalal S. Spleen should be sacrificed for repair of traumatic rupture of stomach fundus. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2002;21:237 pubmed
- Pérez E, Sántana J, Garcia G, Mesa J, Hernández J, Betancort N, et al. [Gastric perforation due to trichobezoar in an adult (Rapunzel syndrome)]. Cir Esp. 2005;78:268-70 pubmed..Urgent laparotomy confirmed the diagnosis of gastric perforation due to a trichobezoar completely moulding the gastric chamber. The diagnosis was suspected on the basis of radiologic images but laparotomy was required to confirm it. ..
- Ho C, Yin I, Tsou K, Chow L, Tsai S. Gastric rupture after awake fibreoptic intubation in a patient with laryngeal carcinoma. Br J Anaesth. 2005;94:856-8 pubmed..Laparotomy revealed a 4-cm longitudinal perforation along the lesser curvature of the stomach. This case represents a rare but severe complication that may occur during fibreoptic intubation in the awake patient. ..
- Takabe K, Ohtani T, Muto I, Takano Y, Miyauchi T, Kato H, et al. Computed tomography (CT) findings of gastric rupture after blunt trauma. Hepatogastroenterology. 2000;47:901-3 pubmed
- Tsuei B, Schwartz R. Management of the difficult duodenum. Curr Surg. 2004;61:166-71 pubmed