Genomes and Genes
Summary: Pathological developments in the RECTUM region of the large intestine (INTESTINE, LARGE).
- Slack A, Child T, Lindsey I, Kennedy S, Cunningham C, Mortensen N, et al. Urological and colorectal complications following surgery for rectovaginal endometriosis. BJOG. 2007;114:1278-82 pubmed..To report the short- and medium-term complications of laparoscopic laser excisional surgery for rectovaginal endometriosis...
- Currie M, Martin S, Soo T, Bowden F. Screening for chlamydia and gonorrhoea in men who have sex with men in clinical and non-clinical settings. Sex Health. 2006;3:123-6 pubmed..4%, 95% CI 2.2-7.6) respectively. These data, collected in a range of settings, indicate high rates of chlamydia and gonorrhoea in MSM in the ACT and provide support for annual testing, particularly of the rectum, in this population. ..
- Hudelist G, Tuttlies F, Rauter G, Pucher S, Keckstein J. Can transvaginal sonography predict infiltration depth in patients with deep infiltrating endometriosis of the rectum?. Hum Reprod. 2009;24:1012-7 pubmed publisher..8%, 16 and 0.4. TVS is a highly valuable tool in detecting rectal endometriosis preoperatively. Within this, S/M endometriotic infiltration can be accurately predicted, whereas TVS is less valuable for detection of MUC involvement. ..
- Robertson A, Azariah S, Bromhead C, Tabrizi S, Blackmore T. Case report: lymphogranuloma venereum in New Zealand. Sex Health. 2008;5:369-70 pubmed..Investigation and management of LGV is discussed. ..
- Suresh N, Ganesh R, Sathiyasekaran M. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a case series. Indian Pediatr. 2010;47:1059-61 pubmed..The other modalities included oral 5-amino salicylate (59%), sucralfate enema (4.5%) and rectal mesalamine in 9%. 64% children recovered and 13.6% had recurrence of symptoms. ..
- Keshtgar A. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;20:89-92 pubmed publisher..A therapeutic role for botulinum toxin injection into the external anal sphincter for treatment of SRUS associated with constipation and paradoxical contraction of pelvic floor and external anal sphincter muscles in children, may exist. ..
- Song S, Jang I, Kim B, Kim E, Woo S, Park M, et al. A case of primary syphilis in the rectum. J Korean Med Sci. 2005;20:886-7 pubmed..After injection of penicillin G benzathine for 3 weeks, the rectal chancre and the palpable mass disappeared. ..
- Sharara A, Azar C, Amr S, Haddad M, Eloubeidi M. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: endoscopic spectrum and review of the literature. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;62:755-62 pubmed
- Roman H, Loisel C, Resch B, Tuech J, Hochain P, Leroi A, et al. Delayed functional outcomes associated with surgical management of deep rectovaginal endometriosis with rectal involvement: giving patients an informed choice. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:890-9 pubmed publisher..Information about functional outcomes should be provided to patients managed for rectal endometriosis, and should be considered when deciding on the most appropriate treatment of this disease. ..
- Dousset B, Leconte M, Borghese B, Millischer A, Roseau G, Arkwright S, et al. Complete surgery for low rectal endometriosis: long-term results of a 100-case prospective study. Ann Surg. 2010;251:887-95 pubmed publisher..In that setting, the overall 5-year recurrence rate is very low. ..
- Roman H, Puscasiu L, Kouteich K, Gromez A, Resch B, Marouteau Pasquier N, et al. [Laparoscopic surgery of profund endometriosis with rectal affect]. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2007;102:421-8 pubmed..However, the balance of benefit and risks must also be assessed on a case to case basis prior to any decision for or against surgical treatment. ..
- Sanders E, Thiong o A, Okuku H, Mwambi J, Priddy F, Shafi J, et al. High prevalence of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae infections among HIV-1 negative men who have sex with men in coastal Kenya. Sex Transm Infect. 2010;86:440-1 pubmed publisher..To assess the burden of Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) and Neisseria gonorrhoeae (NG) in high-risk HIV-1 negative men who have sex with men (MSM) in Africa...
- Fanfani F, Fagotti A, Gagliardi M, Ruffo G, Ceccaroni M, Scambia G, et al. Discoid or segmental rectosigmoid resection for deep infiltrating endometriosis: a case-control study. Fertil Steril. 2010;94:444-9 pubmed publisher..Laparoscopic mechanical discoid resection is feasible, markedly improved endometriosis related symptoms, and could be considered as a worthy alternative to classic segmental resection in selected patients. ..
- Dubernard G, Piketty M, Rouzier R, Houry S, Bazot M, Darai E. Quality of life after laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2006;21:1243-7 pubmed..However, women have to be informed on the risk of complications including rectovaginal fistula. ..
- Choi H, Shin E, Hwang Y, Weiss E, Nogueras J, Wexner S. Clinical presentation and surgical outcome in patients with solitary rectal ulcer syndrome. Surg Innov. 2005;12:307-13 pubmed..The results of this study show the positive role of surgical treatment for underlying functional disorders in the improvement of incidental solitary rectal ulcer syndrome. ..
- Seracchioli R, Poggioli G, Pierangeli F, Manuzzi L, Gualerzi B, Savelli L, et al. Surgical outcome and long-term follow up after laparoscopic rectosigmoid resection in women with deep infiltrating endometriosis. BJOG. 2007;114:889-95 pubmed
- Jones R, Latinovic R, Charlton J, Gulliford M. Alarm symptoms in early diagnosis of cancer in primary care: cohort study using General Practice Research Database. BMJ. 2007;334:1040 pubmed..These data provide support for the early evaluation of alarm symptoms in an attempt to identify underlying cancers at an earlier and more amenable stage. ..
- Pinsk I, Saloojee N, Friedlich M. Lymphogranuloma venereum as a cause of rectal stricture. Can J Surg. 2007;50:E31-2 pubmed
- De Cicco C, Corona R, Schonman R, Mailova K, Ussia A, Koninckx P. Bowel resection for deep endometriosis: a systematic review. BJOG. 2011;118:285-91 pubmed publisher..Segmental resections were rectum resections in over 90%, and the postoperative complication rate was comparable with that of resections for indications other than endometriosis. No data were found evaluating sexual dysfunction. ..
- Rodrigo N, Shek K, Dietz H. Rectal intussusception is associated with abnormal levator ani muscle structure and morphometry. Tech Coloproctol. 2011;15:39-43 pubmed publisher..While often asymptomatic, it is associated with symptoms of vaginal prolapse, incomplete bowel emptying, vaginal digitation and faecal incontinence, and with abnormal levator ani structure and morphometry. ..
- Uza N, Nakase H, Nishimura K, Yoshida S, Kawabata K, Chiba T. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome associated with ulcerative colitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2006;63:355-6 pubmed
- Ferrero S, Anserini P, Abbamonte L, Ragni N, Camerini G, Remorgida V. Fertility after bowel resection for endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:41-6 pubmed publisher..Previous laparotomies, age > or =35 years, uterine adenomyosis, and longer duration of infertility before surgery are associated with decreased pregnancy rate. ..
- Ruffo G, Scopelliti F, Scioscia M, Ceccaroni M, Mainardi P, Minelli L. Laparoscopic colorectal resection for deep infiltrating endometriosis: analysis of 436 cases. Surg Endosc. 2010;24:63-7 pubmed publisher..2%). Laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosis is a relatively safe procedure in a context of close collaboration between gynecologists and surgeons, although it requires adequate training. ..
- Ellis B, Thompson M. Factors identifying higher risk rectal bleeding in general practice. Br J Gen Pract. 2005;55:949-55 pubmed..Greater awareness of the diagnostic value of the different symptom combinations of rectal bleeding could help GPs adopt different management strategies for patients at higher and very low risk of cancer. ..
- van der Bij A, Spaargaren J, Morre S, Fennema H, Mindel A, Coutinho R, et al. Diagnostic and clinical implications of anorectal lymphogranuloma venereum in men who have sex with men: a retrospective case-control study. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:186-94 pubmed
- Martín de Carpi J, Vilar P, Varea V. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childhood: a rare, benign, and probably misdiagnosed cause of rectal bleeding. Report of three cases. Dis Colon Rectum. 2007;50:534-9 pubmed..Endoscopy and histologic examination confirms this condition...
- Roman H, Opris I, Resch B, Tuech J, Sabourin J, Marpeau L. Histopathologic features of endometriotic rectal nodules and the implications for management by rectal nodule excision. Fertil Steril. 2009;92:1250-2 pubmed publisher..These data might be useful for surgeons performing rectal nodule excision, suggesting the benefits of administrating postoperative medical treatment to reduce the risk of rectal recurrences caused by remaining active endometriotic foci. ..
- Chiang J, Changchien C, Chen J. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: an endoscopic and histological presentation and literature review. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2006;21:348-56 pubmed..Although the clinicopathologic features of solitary rectal ulcer syndrome (SRUS) are well documented, the heterogeneous endoscopic appearance of lesions that the syndrome produces and its rare incidence may make for clinical confusion...
- Pai R, Mathai A, Magar D, Tantry B. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in childhood. Trop Gastroenterol. 2008;29:177-8 pubmed..Colonoscopy revealed multiple ulcers which on histopathological examination showed features of SRUS with severe reactive changes of regeneration mimicking malignancy. ..
- Mereu L, Ruffo G, Landi S, Barbieri F, Zaccoletti R, Fiaccavento A, et al. Laparoscopic treatment of deep endometriosis with segmental colorectal resection: short-term morbidity. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2007;14:463-9 pubmed..Laparoscopic segmental colorectal resection for endometriosis is feasible and, in hospitals with necessary experience, can be proposed to selected patients who are informed of the risk of complications. ..
- Robertson R, Campbell C, Weller D, Elton R, Mant D, Primrose J, et al. Predicting colorectal cancer risk in patients with rectal bleeding. Br J Gen Pract. 2006;56:763-7 pubmed..By studying referred patients, we may even have overestimated its value. At best, it could be useful as a component of a composite symptom score to guide referral decisions. ..
- Torres C, Khaikin M, Bracho J, Luo C, Weiss E, Sands D, et al. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: clinical findings, surgical treatment, and outcomes. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2007;22:1389-93 pubmed..Initial treatment should include conservative measures. In patients with refractory symptoms, surgical treatment should be considered. Results of anterior resection and protocolectomy are satisfactory for solitary rectal ulcer. ..
- Kang H, Shin K, Park S, Kim J. 3D CT-based high-dose-rate brachytherapy for cervical cancer: clinical impact on late rectal bleeding and local control. Radiother Oncol. 2010;97:507-13 pubmed publisher..81% by 3D-ICR vs. 2D-ICR, respectively; p=0.02). The implementation of 3D-ICR in radiotherapy for cervical cancer can reduce the incidence of severe LRB and may improve the LC rate. ..
- Roman H, Vassilieff M, Gourcerol G, Savoye G, Leroi A, Marpeau L, et al. Surgical management of deep infiltrating endometriosis of the rectum: pleading for a symptom-guided approach. Hum Reprod. 2011;26:274-81 pubmed publisher..Instead of choosing between medical and surgical management in the treatment of DIER, it is most likely that the two therapies should be associated. ..
- Alexander S, Martin I, Ison C. Confirming the Chlamydia trachomatis status of referred rectal specimens. Sex Transm Infect. 2007;83:327-9 pubmed..Laboratories currently using EIA based assays to test rectal specimens should review this approach. ..
- Ward H, Alexander S, Carder C, Dean G, French P, Ivens D, et al. The prevalence of lymphogranuloma venereum infection in men who have sex with men: results of a multicentre case finding study. Sex Transm Infect. 2009;85:173-5 pubmed publisher..To determine the prevalence of lymphogranuloma venereum (LGV) and non-LGV associated serovars of urethral and rectal Chlamydia trachomatis (CT) infection in men who have sex with men (MSM)...
- Menada M, Remorgida V, Abbamonte L, Fulcheri E, Ragni N, Ferrero S. Transvaginal ultrasonography combined with water-contrast in the rectum in the diagnosis of rectovaginal endometriosis infiltrating the bowel. Fertil Steril. 2008;89:699-700 pubmed..In 4 of 5 (80.0%) nodules reaching the submucosa, the depth of infiltration was underestimated by RWC-TVS. The RWC-TVS reliably determined the largest diameter of the endometriotic nodules and was well tolerated by the patients. ..
- Chong V, Jalihal A. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: characteristics, outcomes and predictive profiles for persistent bleeding per rectum. Singapore Med J. 2006;47:1063-8 pubmed..This study assessed the clinical, endoscopical characteristics and predictive profiles for persistent BPR...
- Darai E, Bazot M, Rouzier R, Houry S, Dubernard G. Outcome of laparoscopic colorectal resection for endometriosis. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2007;19:308-13 pubmed..Further studies are required to identify objective criteria with which to select women most likely to benefit from this surgery, which must be performed in special units. ..
- Donnez J, Squifflet J. Complications, pregnancy and recurrence in a prospective series of 500 patients operated on by the shaving technique for deep rectovaginal endometriotic nodules. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:1949-58 pubmed publisher..There is a need, however, for further strong and energetic debate to weigh up the benefits of shaving (debulking surgery) versus rectal resection (radical surgery). ..
- Dehghani S, Haghighat M, Imanieh M, Geramizadeh B. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome in children: a prospective study of cases from southern Iran. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;20:93-5 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we conclude that sucralfate enema is a suitable initial medical treatment for children with SRUS, and that injection of corticosteroid is a new treatment modality that requires further research to establish its efficacy. ..
- Dubernard G, Rouzier R, David Montefiore E, Bazot M, Darai E. Urinary complications after surgery for posterior deep infiltrating endometriosis are related to the extent of dissection and to uterosacral ligaments resection. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2008;15:235-40 pubmed publisher..Surgery designed to spare the pelvic autonomic nerves could reduce the incidence of urinary complications...
- Templeton D, Grulich A, Yew J, Twin J, Jin F, Prestage G, et al. Lymphogranuloma venereum is rare in Australian community-based samples of men who have sex with men. Sex Transm Dis. 2011;38:48-9 pubmed publisher..3 per 100 PY, 95% Confidence Interval 0.008-1.7. Routine LGV typing of chlamydia infections in asymptomatic Australian men who have sex with men does not appear justified. ..
- Al Brahim N, Al Awadhi N, Al Enezi S, Alsurayei S, Ahmad M. Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome: a clinicopathological study of 13 cases. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:188-92 pubmed publisher..Surface serration, fibromuscular obliteration, and crypts' distortion are the most characteristic features. The presence of diamond crypts is an additional diagnostic feature. ..
- Vercellini P, Crosignani P, Somigliana E, Berlanda N, Barbara G, Fedele L. Medical treatment for rectovaginal endometriosis: what is the evidence?. Hum Reprod. 2009;24:2504-14 pubmed publisher..Despite problems in interpretation of data, the effect of medical treatment in terms of pain relief in women with rectovaginal endometriosis appear substantial. ..
- Hyman N, Manchester T, Osler T, Burns B, Cataldo P. Anastomotic leaks after intestinal anastomosis: it's later than you think. Ann Surg. 2007;245:254-8 pubmed..CT scan is the preferred diagnostic modality when imaging is required. More than half of leaks can be managed without fecal diversion. ..
- Marderstein E, Church J. Classic "outlet" rectal bleeding does not require full colonoscopy to exclude significant pathology. Dis Colon Rectum. 2008;51:202-6 pubmed publisher..If the history is classic for outlet bleeding and no other indication for colonoscopy exists, flexible sigmoidoscopy is enough to exclude significant pathology. ..
- Masterson L, Morden R. Congenital hemangiopericytoma presenting as rectal bleeding in a neonate: a case report. J Pediatr Surg. 2011;46:e17-8 pubmed publisher..It is an uncommon tumor found typically in adults but rarely in children. We describe a previously unreported case of an intraluminal lesion in a neonate. ..
- Eagye K, Nicolau D. Selection of prophylactic antimicrobial agent may affect incidence of infection in small bowel and colorectal surgery. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2011;12:451-7 pubmed publisher..34-0.82; p<0.01); the odds ratio for all other agents contained the value 1.0. Agent selection among prophylactic antibiotics is one of many factors associated with infection development in colorectal surgery patients. ..
- Stuhldreher J, Adamina M, Konopacka A, Brady K, Delaney C. Effect of local anesthetics on postoperative pain and opioid consumption in laparoscopic colorectal surgery. Surg Endosc. 2012;26:1617-23 pubmed publisher..Use of local anesthetic does not influence postoperative opioid requirements or patients' subjective report of pain following laparoscopic colorectal procedures managed within enhanced recovery care pathways. ..
- Reynolds M, van Haren F. A case of pressure ulceration and associated haemorrhage in a patient using a faecal management system. Aust Crit Care. 2012;25:188-94 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the complications associated with the device is important for evaluating the appropriateness of insertion and for ensuring the safe and effective on going care of patients using Flexi-Seal FMS(©). ..
- Abate G, Shirin M, Kandanati V. Fournier gangrene from a thirty-two-centimeter rectosigmoid foreign body. J Emerg Med. 2013;44:e247-9 pubmed publisher..Rectal foreign bodies can cause Fournier gangrene. A close observation and follow-up is important after removal of rectal foreign bodies. ..
- Walia S, Sachdeva A, Kim J, Portocarrero D, Lewis T, Zhao Y. Cyanoacrylate spray for treatment of difficult-to-control GI bleeding. Gastrointest Endosc. 2013;78:536-9 pubmed publisher..Prospective studies with a larger number of patients to evaluate the role of the cyanoacrylate spray technique during endoscopy for GI bleeding are needed. ..