Genomes and Genes
Summary: A twisting in the intestine (INTESTINES) that can cause INTESTINAL OBSTRUCTION.
- McVay M, Kokoska E, Jackson R, Smith S. Jack Barney Award. The changing spectrum of intestinal malrotation: diagnosis and management. Am J Surg. 2007;194:712-7; discussion 718-9 pubmed..05). Close observation with repeat contrast study is an acceptable management option for patients with atypical malrotation who are asymptomatic or exhibit only reflux symptoms. ..
- Altaf M, Werlin S, Sato T, Rudolph C, Sood M. Colonic volvulus in children with intestinal motility disorders. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2009;49:59-62 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be vigilant and include volvulus in the differential diagnosis of the acute onset of abdominal distension and pain in patients with CIP and CIC. Delay in diagnosis can result in bowel ischemia and perforation. ..
- Liang J, Lai H, Lee P. Elective laparoscopically assisted sigmoidectomy for the sigmoid volvulus. Surg Endosc. 2006;20:1772-3 pubmed
- Palanivelu C, Rangarajan M, Shetty A, Jani K. Intestinal malrotation with midgut volvulus presenting as acute abdomen in children: value of diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopy. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2007;17:490-2 pubmed..Normal rotation takes place around the superior mesenteric artery. Incomplete rotation and midgut volvulus is the commonest type of anomaly. Intestinal obstruction is the commonest presentation in symptomatic cases...
- Cartwright Terry T, Phillips S, Greenslade G, Dixon A. Laparoscopy in the management of closed loop sigmoid volvulus. Colorectal Dis. 2008;10:370-2 pubmed..The median postoperative stay was 4 days (2-32). Laparoscopic recto-sigmoidectomy postcolonoscopic decompression is a good option for patients with sigmoid volvulus. Surgical complications are minimal and recovery is quick. ..
- Ferguson L, Higgs Z, Brown S, McCarter D, McKay C. Intestinal volvulus following laparoscopic surgery: a literature review and case report. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2008;18:405-10 pubmed publisher..The laparoscopic technique is being used in an increasing number of abdominal procedures. Intestinal volvulus is a rare complication of laparoscopic procedures, such as the laparoscopic cholecystectomy...
- Tsushimi T, Kurazumi H, Takemoto Y, Oka K, Inokuchi T, Seyama A, et al. Laparoscopic cecopexy for mobile cecum syndrome manifesting as cecal volvulus: report of a case. Surg Today. 2008;38:359-62 pubmed publisher..An unfixed intestine can be detected easily during laparoscopic surgery, which is minimally invasive and cosmetically, physically, and economically beneficial. Thus, we recommend laparoscopic cecopexy for mobile cecum syndrome. ..
- Wales L, Tysome J, Menon R, Habib N, Navarra G. Caecal volvulus following laparoscopy-assisted sigmoid colectomy for sigmoid volvulus. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2003;18:529-32 pubmed..DISCUSSION. Clinico-radiological features and the management of metachronous sigmoid and caecal volvulus are discussed. ..
- Osuka A, Ikegami R, Watanabe Y. Splenic flexure volvulus in a child with chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction syndrome. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006;22:833-5 pubmed..Postoperatively she made an uneventful recovery. Possible factors of pathogenesis and therapeutic measures are discussed. ..
- Huang J, Shin J, Huang Y, Chao C, Ho S, Wu M, et al. Small bowel volvulus among adults. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;20:1906-12 pubmed..Early surgical intervention should be undertaken in order to prevent vascular compromise. ..
- Jayathillake A, Shields M. Malrotation with volvulus: a rare cause of acute bowel obstruction in an adult. ANZ J Surg. 2005;75:831-3 pubmed
- Murphy F, Sparnon A. Long-term complications following intestinal malrotation and the Ladd's procedure: a 15 year review. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006;22:326-9 pubmed..Detailed education about the potential for small bowel obstruction must be given to the parents of these children. ..
- Clark P, Ruess L. Counterclockwise barber-pole sign on CT: SMA/SMV variance without midgut malrotation. Pediatr Radiol. 2005;35:1125-7 pubmed..This is the first case report of a counterclockwise barber-pole sign seen by CT with UGI that was negative for malrotation or volvulus. ..
- Majeski J. Operative therapy for cecal volvulus combining resection with colopexy. Am J Surg. 2005;189:211-3 pubmed..Avoidance of reperfusion of the cecal volvulus with resection, primary anastomosis, and colopexy resulted in successful results in a small series in clinical practice. ..
- Kalfa N, Zamfir C, Lopez M, Forgues D, Raux O, Guibal M, et al. Conditions required for laparoscopic repair of subacute volvulus of the midgut in neonates with intestinal malrotation: 5 cases. Surg Endosc. 2004;18:1815-7 pubmed..Strict selection criteria with a clear understanding of the optimal conditions for success may improve the outcome. ..
- Alami R, Schuster R, Morton J, Curet M. Robotic-assisted laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in a patient with midgut malrotation. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2006;2:222-5 pubmed
- Consorti E, Liu T. Diagnosis and treatment of caecal volvulus. Postgrad Med J. 2005;81:772-6 pubmed..The objective of this review is to promote clinicians' awareness of this disease through patient case illustration, discussion of disease pathogenesis, clinical features, and management strategies. ..
- Losanoff J, Kjossev K. Mesenteric cystic lymphangioma: unusual cause of intra-abdominal catastrophe in an adult. Int J Clin Pract. 2005;59:986-7 pubmed..Even when asymptomatic and discovered incidentally, they must be treated surgically because of the potential to grow, invade vital structures and develop life-threatening complications...
- Beaudoin S, Mathiot Gavarin A, Gouizi G, Bargy F. Familial malrotation: report of three affected siblings. Pediatr Surg Int. 2005;21:856-7 pubmed..We thus highlight in what circumstances familial investigations should be undertaken in case of malrotation. ..
- Sana L, Ali G, Kallel H, Amine B, Ahmed S, Ali E, et al. Spontaneous transverse colon volvulus. Pan Afr Med J. 2013;14:160 pubmed publisher..Its diagnosis is still challenging. Prompt recognition with emergency intervention constitutes the key to successful outcome. ..
- SantÃn Rivero J, NÃºÃ±ez GarcÃa E, Aguirre GarcÃa M, Hagerman Ruiz Galindo G, de la Vega GonzÃ¡lez F, Moctezuma Velasco C. [Intestinal volvulus. Case report and a literature review]. Cir Cir. 2015;83:522-6 pubmed publisher..Many surgical procedures have been described with a high rate of complications. Therefore, conservative surgical management (no intestinal resection) is recommended as the best treatment with the lowest morbidity and mortality rate. ..
- Jie B, Kim E, Kim J, Lee H, Song Y, Kim Y, et al. [Midgut volvulus in a 70-year-old man due to intestinal nonrotation]. Korean J Gastroenterol. 2013;61:282-5 pubmed..We present a case of intestinal malrotation complicated by midgut volvulus improved with conservative care in a 70-year-old man. The diagnosis was suggested on the basis of imaging findings. ..
- Atamanalp S. Sigmoid volvulus: diagnosis in 938 patients over 45.5 years. Tech Coloproctol. 2013;17:419-24 pubmed publisher..Although plain X-rays may help with diagnosis, CT and MRI are more reliable diagnostic tools, and flexible endoscopy is always diagnostic. However, surgery is used to diagnose SV in limited situations. ..
- van der Naald N, Prins M, Otten K, Kumwenda D, Bleichrodt R. Novel Approach to Treat Uncomplicated Sigmoid Volvulus Combining Minimally Invasive Surgery with Enhanced Recovery, in a Rural Hospital in Zambia. World J Surg. 2018;42:1590-1596 pubmed publisher..Acute sigmoid resection and primary anastomosis via a mini-laparotomy for uncomplicated sigmoid volvulus, without preoperative endoscopic decompression is a safe procedure with a low morbidity and mortality. ..
- Yildiz S, Berkem H, Yuksel B, Ozel H, Hengirmen S. Isolated intrathoracic hiatal herniation of the twisted sigmoid colon: report of a case. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009;52:740-1 pubmed publisher..Chest X-ray and CT scan of the thorax showed a distended colonic segment in the posterior mediastinum. The patient underwent cruroplasty, Nissen fundoplication, and sigmoid colon resection. This is the first report of such a rare case. ..
- Capito C, Podevin J, Lascarrou J, Lehur P, Armstrong O. Large congenital transmesenteric hernia: a missed small-bowel atresia?. Hernia. 2009;13:209-11 pubmed publisher..This particular vascular disposition suggests transmesenteric hernias may be the first step in the constitution of congenital small-bowel atresia. ..
- Bomassi E, Rousselot J, Libermann S, Raymond Letron I, Etchepareborde S, Misbach C. Atrial cardiomyopathy in an adult Labrador retriever dog. Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2017;159:594-599 pubmed publisher..The dog remained asymptomatic for 18 months but was then re-presented with a gastric dilatation volvulus and subsequently euthanized. Necropsy and histology of the heart yielded a diagnosis of atrial cardiomyopathy...
- Morris M, Barker A, Harrison J, Anderson A, Vanderlan W. Cicatrical cecal volvulus following laparoscopic cholecystectomy. JSLS. 2013;17:333-7 pubmed publisher..We present a case of spilled gallstones causing cicatrical cecal volvulus and also provide a review of pertinent literature. ..
- Lagatie O, Batsa Debrah L, Debrah A, Stuyver L. Plasma-derived parasitic microRNAs have insufficient concentrations to be used as diagnostic biomarker for detection of Onchocerca volvulus infection or treatment monitoring using LNA-based RT-qPCR. Parasitol Res. 2017;116:1013-1022 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that parasitic miRNAs are not present in circulation at a sufficiently high level to be used as biomarker for O. volvulus infection or treatment monitoring using LNA-based RT-qPCR analysis. ..
- Khaniya S, Shakya V, Koirala R, Pokharel K, Regmi R, Adhikary S, et al. Caecal volvulus: a twisted tale. Trop Doct. 2010;40:244-6 pubmed publisher..We report a series of four cases describing their presentation, management and subsequent outcome. ..
- Shui L, Rafi J, Corder A, Mowbray D. Mid-gut volvulus and mesenteric vessel thrombosis in pregnancy: case report and literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2011;283 Suppl 1:39-43 pubmed publisher..Therefore, a high index of suspicion is necessary for the early diagnosis of these conditions, as prompt treatment can prevent bowel resection and improve maternal and foetal outcomes. ..
- Williams H. Green for danger! Intestinal malrotation and volvulus. Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2007;92:ep87-91 pubmed
- Alsharief A, Blackmore C, Schmit P. Small bowel obstruction due to ingestion of rubber balls. Pediatr Radiol. 2017;47:1539-1541 pubmed publisher..Foreign body ingestion is common in children, but this case demonstrates a unusual foreign object to be ingested as well as the US appearance of this particular foreign body. ..
- Lo Re G, Mantia F, Picone D, Salerno S, Vernuccio F, Midiri M. Small Bowel Perforations: What the Radiologist Needs to Know. Semin Ultrasound CT MR. 2016;37:23-30 pubmed publisher..In particular, the authors highlight the anatomic key notes and the different direct and indirect imaging signs of small bowel perforation. ..
- De Raet J, Brugman T, Geukens A. "Twist & slide" bowel obstruction: two different rare causes of adult bowel obstruction in the same patient. Acta Chir Belg. 2006;106:608-10 pubmed..This case showed a caecocolic intussusception (due to a caecal malignant lesion) with a small bowel volvulus secondarily. These are rare but potential life-threatening surgical emergencies. ..
- Asti E, Bonavina L, Lombardi M, Bandera F, Secchi F, Guazzi M. Reversibility of cardiopulmonary impairment after laparoscopic repair of large hiatal hernia. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;14:33-5 pubmed publisher..Cardiac magnetic resonance and the cardiopulmonary exercise test may help selecting patients for surgery. These preliminary findings led us to start a prospective study using this multimodality diagnostic approach. ..
- Johnston K, Holcombe S, Hauptman J. Plasma lactate as a predictor of colonic viability and survival after 360 degrees volvulus of the ascending colon in horses. Vet Surg. 2007;36:563-7 pubmed..Plasma lactate concentration may help predict colonic viability and horse survival after ascending colon volvulus in horses. ..
- Nonaka T, Hidaka S, Takafumi A, Fukuoka H, Takeshita H, Atsushi N, et al. Single-incision laparoscopy-assisted subtotal gastrectomy for intractable gastric ulcer: a case report. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2012;22:e210-3 pubmed publisher..Intracorporeal reconstruction of the digestive tract was performed safely using a linear endoscopic stapler. This surgical approach is a further advance toward scarless surgery of the stomach. ..
- Ward E, Wang A, Thangarajah H, Lazar D, Bickler S, Fairbanks T, et al. Preemptive Ladd Procedure in congenital diaphragmatic hernia and Abdominal Wall defects does not reduce the risk of future volvulus. J Pediatr Surg. 2017;52:1956-1961 pubmed publisher..28 increased odds ratio of future volvulus (95% CI 1.12-9.68). Ladd procedure performed prophylactically in patients with CDH, gastroschisis, and omphalocele did not reduce subsequent volvulus. III, Retrospective Comparative Study. ..
- Biswas S, Gray K, Cotton B. Intestinal obstruction in pregnancy: a case of small bowel volvulus and review of the literature. Am Surg. 2006;72:1218-21 pubmed
- Ogawa H, Haneda S, Watanabe K, Suzuki H, Miura K, Ohnuma S, et al. A unique variant of afferent limb syndrome after ileal pouch-anal anastomosis: a case series and review of the literature. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012;16:1581-4 pubmed publisher..Preoperative diagnosis required multiple series of contrast small bowel enemas. Strictureplasty and ileopexy effectively resolved the recurrent bowel obstruction caused by this variant of afferent limb syndrome. ..
- Hogan B, Brown C, Brown J. Cecal volvulus in pregnancy: report of a case and review of the safety and utility of medical diagnostic imaging in the assessment of the acute abdomen during pregnancy. Emerg Radiol. 2008;15:127-31 pubmed..We review the safety and utility of medical diagnostic imaging in the assessment of the acute abdomen in pregnancy. ..
- Hougaard H, Qvist N. Elective surgery after successful endoscopic decompression of sigmoid volvulus may be considered. Dan Med J. 2013;60:A4660 pubmed..Elective surgery should be considered because of a high recurrence rate and one-year mortality after initially successful decompression. not relevant. not relevant. ..
- Ellis C, Lynch T, Slone D, Hughes F, Clark C. Survival and complications after large colon resection and end-to-end anastomosis for strangulating large colon volvulus in seventy-three horses. Vet Surg. 2008;37:786-90 pubmed publisher..Horses that survive the early postoperative period and are discharged after large colon resection and anastomosis have a good chance for long-term survival with minimal negative impact on quality of life and use. ..
- Avgerinos D, Llaguna O, Friedman R. A unique case of recurrent metachronous volvulus of the gastrointestinal tract. Arch Surg. 2009;144:1176-8 pubmed publisher..Prophylactic pexis of the cecum and the stomach during the first operation, in light of the elongated mesentery, may have prevented the subsequent episodes of volvulus. ..
- Marino F, Giani I, Clerico G, Luc A, Giacosa A, Ganio E, et al. Recurrent caecal volvulus in mesenterium commune. A case report. Chir Ital. 2007;59:751-4 pubmed..At six months follow-up, the patient was in good health and free of abdominal symptoms. ..
- Alhassan A, Osei Atweneboana M, Kyeremeh K, Poole C, Li Z, Tettevi E, et al. Comparison of a new visual isothermal nucleic acid amplification test with PCR and skin snip analysis for diagnosis of onchocerciasis in humans. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2016;210:10-12 pubmed publisher..The robustness and simplicity of the assay indicates that it may be a useful field tool for surveillance in endemic countries. ..
- Mazeh H, Kaliner E, Udassin R. Three recurrent episodes of malrotation in an infant. J Pediatr Surg. 2007;42:E1-3 pubmed..We recommend abrasion of the parietal and visceral peritoneal surfaces when recurrence of malrotation occurs. ..
- Dane B, Hindman N, Johnson E, Rosenkrantz A. Utility of CT Findings in the Diagnosis of Cecal Volvulus. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017;209:762-766 pubmed publisher..001). CT exhibited high diagnostic performance and very high sensitivity for cecal volvulus. The whirl sign was a significant independent predictor of volvulus for both readers. ..