Genomes and Genes
intestinal pseudo obstruction
Summary: A type of ILEUS, a functional not mechanical obstruction of the INTESTINES. This syndrome is caused by a large number of disorders involving the smooth muscles (MUSCLE, SMOOTH) or the NERVOUS SYSTEM.
- Komuro O, Murakami S, Kobayashi T, Kijima H, Furushima H, Sakabe S, et al. [An autopsy case of AL amyloidosis with intestinal pseudo-obstruction]. Nihon Shokakibyo Gakkai Zasshi. 2005;102:699-705 pubmed
- Yang H, Guo T, Ma Y, Liu T, Gao M. [Effects of 650 nm laser and moxibustion pretreatment on enteric nervous system and medullary visceral zone in rats with visceral traction pain]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2010;30:745-51 pubmed
- Ambiru S, Furuyama N, Aono M, Kimura F, Shimizu H, Yoshidome H, et al. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for the treatment of postoperative paralytic ileus and adhesive intestinal obstruction associated with abdominal surgery: experience with 626 patients. Hepatogastroenterology. 2007;54:1925-9 pubmed..HBO therapy is safe and non-invasive, and may be useful in the elderly patients, since mortality was relatively low in this series. ..
- Perez Segura P, Siso I, Luque R, Olivera H, Diaz S, Mayol J, et al. Iatrogenic intestinal obstruction: a rare complication of capsule endoscopy in a patient with familial adenomatous polyposis. Endoscopy. 2007;39 Suppl 1:E298-9 pubmed
- Zheng Z. Acupuncture for treating postoperative enteroparalysis. J Tradit Chin Med. 2003;23:42 pubmed
- Chiyonobu T, Noda R, Yoshida M, Fujiki A, Ishii R, Nukina S, et al. Intestinal pseudo-obstruction in a patient with mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes (MELAS) associated with phenytoin therapy. Brain Dev. 2008;30:430-3 pubmed publisher..Careful clinical observation including gastrointestinal symptoms is required in the management of epilepsy in MELAS patients. ..
- Danjou M, Guardia D, Geoffroy P, Seguy D, Cottencin O. [Mitochondrial Neuro-Gastro-Intestinal Encephalopathy (MNGIE): When and how to suspect it in front of an atypical anorexia nervosa?]. Encephale. 2016;42:574-579 pubmed publisher..The MNGIE disease is a severe trouble with multisystemic complications. The thymidine phopshorylase enzyme activity in leukocytes should be measured as soon as possible when a patient presents atypical anorexia nervosa. ..
- Ceccato F, Salas A, Góngora V, Ruta S, Roverano S, Marcos J, et al. Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: report of four cases. Clin Rheumatol. 2008;27:399-402 pubmed..As SLE-related CIPO usually responds to treatment with high doses of corticosteroids and/or immunosuppressive and prokinetic agents, a high level of awareness of this complication is needed to avoid unnecessary surgical intervention. ..
- Mungan Z, Akyuz F, Bugra Z, Yönall O, Ozturk S, Acar A, et al. Familial visceral myopathy with pseudo-obstruction, megaduodenum, Barrett's esophagus, and cardiac abnormalities. Am J Gastroenterol. 2003;98:2556-60 pubmed..Three siblings from this family with visceral myopathy, in which the parents were consanguineous, had megaduodenum, long-segment Barrett's esophagus, and different cardiac abnormalities. ..
- Moreno Villares J. [Chronic primary intestinal pseudo-obstruction from visceral myopathy]. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2006;98:705-6 pubmed
- Angkathunyakul N, Treepongkaruna S, Molagool S, Ruangwattanapaisarn N. Abnormal layering of muscularis propria as a cause of chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: A case report and literature review. World J Gastroenterol. 2015;21:7059-64 pubmed publisher..He had gradual clinical improvement and gained body weight. Subsequently, the parenteral nutrition was discontinued. The previously reported cases are reviewed and discussed. ..
- Verny C, Amati Bonneau P, Letournel F, Person B, Dib N, Malinge M, et al. Mitochondrial DNA A3243G mutation involved in familial diabetes, chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and recurrent pancreatitis. Diabetes Metab. 2008;34:620-6 pubmed publisher..However, the mutation is probably only weakly involved in cases of isolated recurrent pancreatitis. ..
- Muñoz M, Solis Herruzo J. [Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction]. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2007;99:100-11 pubmed..The aims of the treatment are to maintain the nutritional condition and to improve symptoms using nutritional measures, drugs or, eventually, endoscopical or surgical procedures. ..
- Ono T, Narikiyo T, Nishida E, Yanagida T, Yasunaga C, Hisaoka M, et al. A huge fecalith associated with dialysis-related gastrointestinal amyloidosis. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2007;11:184-187 pubmed publisher..There have been no such cases of fecalith associated with gastrointestinal amyloidosis described previously, which is why we decided to report this case here. ..
- Sørhaug S, Steinshamn S, Waldum H. Octreotide treatment for paraneoplastic intestinal pseudo-obstruction complicating SCLC. Lung Cancer. 2005;48:137-40 pubmed..This may be explained by effects of hormone-like substances from the tumor directly inhibiting the gut motility, rather than by autoimmune mechanisms. ..
- Turner S, Probert C, Lear P. Parenteral nutrition via an arteriovenous bypass graft. Gut. 2003;52:1218 pubmed
- Kahi C, Rex D. Bowel obstruction and pseudo-obstruction. Gastroenterol Clin North Am. 2003;32:1229-47 pubmed..Most patients with pseudo-obstruction respond to conservative therapy or neostigmine. Endoscopic decompression is indicated in recalcitrant cases, with surgery reserved as a last resort. ..
- de Winter B. Study of the pathogenesis of paralytic ileus in animal models of experimentally induced postoperative and septic ileus. Verh K Acad Geneeskd Belg. 2003;65:293-324 pubmed..However, a parallel mechanism of action for NO via oxidative stress needs further investigation. ..
- Zaidi S, Arif M, Zaidi Z. Hollow visceral myopathy in a 5-year old boy: a case report. J Pak Med Assoc. 2003;53:82-3 pubmed
- Suzuki C, Ohara M, Yamamoto M, Naishiro Y, Yamamoto H, Takahashi H, et al. [A case of scleroderma-polymyositis overlap syndrome in which octreotide exacerbated abdominal symptoms]. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi. 2005;28:56-61 pubmed
- Rey E. Intestinal pseudo-obstruction: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge for the 21st century. Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2006;98:231-3 pubmed
- Sharma S, Ghoshal U, Bhat G, Choudhuri G. Gastric adenocarcinoma presenting with intestinal pseudoobstruction, successfully treated with octreotide. Indian J Med Sci. 2006;60:467-70 pubmed..We report a 65-year-old man with carcinoma stomach presenting with intestinal pseudoobstruction, which responded to octreotide. ..
- Roper E, Gibson A, McAlindon M, Williams L, Cook J, Kandler R, et al. Familial visceral neuropathy: a defined entity?. Am J Med Genet A. 2005;137A:249-54 pubmed..This family provides further evidence of autosomal dominant inheritance, with marked variation in expression. ..
- Fitzgerald J, Ahmed I. Systematic review and meta-analysis of chewing-gum therapy in the reduction of postoperative paralytic ileus following gastrointestinal surgery. World J Surg. 2009;33:2557-66 pubmed publisher..These outcomes are not significant for laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery. ..
- Puig I, Champeval D, de Santa Barbara P, Jaubert F, Lyonnet S, Larue L. Deletion of Pten in the mouse enteric nervous system induces ganglioneuromatosis and mimics intestinal pseudoobstruction. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:3586-96 pubmed publisher..Our study thus reveals that loss of PTEN disrupts development of the ENS and identifies the PI3K/PTEN-AKT-S6K signaling pathway as a potential therapeutic target for ganglioneuromatosis forms of CIPO. ..
- De Giorgio R, Volta U, Stanghellini V, Cogliandro R, Barbara G, Corinaldesi R, et al. Neurogenic chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: antineuronal antibody-mediated activation of autophagy via Fas. Gastroenterology. 2008;135:601-9 pubmed publisher..We provide novel evidence that antineuronal antibodies may contribute to neuronal dysfunction observed in a subset of patients with neurogenic CIP via autoantibody-mediated activation of autophagy involving the Fas receptor complex. ..
- Bassotti G, Villanacci V, Antonelli E, Morelli A, Salerni B. Enteric glial cells: new players in gastrointestinal motility?. Lab Invest. 2007;87:628-32 pubmed..Thus, as also shown by recent evidence in both experimental animal models, and in some human diseases, alterations of enteric glial cells might have some role in the development of intestinal motor abnormalities. ..
- Fuyuki A, Ohkubo H, Higurashi T, Iida H, Inoh Y, Inamori M, et al. Clinical importance of cine-MRI assessment of small bowel motility in patients with chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction: a retrospective study of 33 patients. J Gastroenterol. 2017;52:577-584 pubmed publisher..Cine-MRI is useful in predicting severe clinical features in patients with CIPO, and in detecting slightly impaired small contractility that cannot be detected on CT. ..
- Gamba E, Carr N, Bateman A. Deficient alpha smooth muscle actin expression as a cause of intestinal pseudo-obstruction: fact or fiction?. J Clin Pathol. 2004;57:1168-71 pubmed
- Stanghellini V, Cogliandro R, De Giorgio R, Barbara G, Morselli Labate A, Cogliandro L, et al. Natural history of chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction in adults: a single center study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;3:449-58 pubmed..CIIP is a severe, often unrecognized disease characterized by disabling and potentially life-threatening complications over time. ..
- Köninger J, Gutt C, Wente M, Friess H, Martin E, Buchler M. [Postoperative ileus. Pathophysiology and prevention]. Chirurg. 2006;77:904-12 pubmed..In the present article we discuss possible variables influencing this disease. Furthermore, means of prevention and therapeutic strategies for postoperative ileus are briefly presented. ..
- Badia X, Roset M. [Incidence and burden of illness in postoperative paralytic ileus in Spain]. Med Clin (Barc). 2006;126:537-40 pubmed
- Oba K, Suzuki K, Ouchi M, Matsumura N, Suzuki T, Nakano H. Repeated episodes of paralytic ileus in an elderly diabetic patient treated with voglibose. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54:182-3 pubmed
- Cretolle C, Zerah M, Jaubert F, Sarnacki S, Revillon Y, Lyonnet S, et al. New clinical and therapeutic perspectives in Currarino syndrome (study of 29 cases). J Pediatr Surg. 2006;41:126-31; discussion 126-31 pubmed..By accurate evaluation of the 4 main features in the CS, the correct surgical management, including neurosurgery, can be performed in a 1-stage approach. ..
- Rabau O, Tulchinsky H, Rabau M. Intestinal pseudoobstruction. Acta Chir Iugosl. 2008;55:103-7 pubmed..Heightened awareness, understanding of the physiological dynamics and recognition of the spectrum of its clinical presentation and diagnostic modalities should result in more efficacious treatment. ..
- Ohlsson B, Veress B, Janciauskiene S, Montgomery A, Haglund M, Wallmark A. Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction due to buserelin-induced formation of anti-GnRH antibodies. Gastroenterology. 2007;132:45-51 pubmed..Our findings suggest that the patient has developed CIPO due to buserelin-induced formation of anti-GnRH antibodies destroying GnRH-producing neurons of the myenteric plexus. ..
- Cardosi R, Nackley A, Londono J, Hoffman M. Embolization for advanced abdominal pregnancy with a retained placenta. A case report. J Reprod Med. 2002;47:861-3 pubmed..Placental function ceased after two months. Placental vasculature embolization is a management option for a retained placenta associated with abdominal pregnancy. ..
- Venkatasubramani N, Sood M. Motility disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Indian J Pediatr. 2006;73:927-30 pubmed..Newer modalities such as gastric and bowel pacing provides some hope for the future. In this article we have provided an overview of some of the common motility disorders in children and discussed their management. ..
- Tojo M, Nitta H, Matsui T, Nakano T, Watanabe W. [A case with severe neurological involvement due to vitamin B1 deficiency associated with megaduodenum]. No To Hattatsu. 1993;25:169-74 pubmed..We concluded that his neurological symptoms were due to vitamin B1 deficiency associated with megaduodenum. When a patient with intestinal anomaly shows neurological symptoms, we should think of vitamin deficiency. ..
- Feldstein A, Miller S, El Youssef M, Rodeberg D, Lindor N, Burgart L, et al. Chronic intestinal pseudoobstruction associated with altered interstitial cells of cajal networks. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2003;36:492-7 pubmed
- Thøstesen L, Lassen L, Qvist N, Gupte G, Husby S. [The first Danish child with small bowel transplantation]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2010;172:886-7 pubmed..After the transplantation she received immunosuppressive medication, ursodeoxycholic acid and antibiotic prophylaxis. She is now well and on enteral nutrition, 32 months after the transplantation. ..
- Attar A, Maissiat E, Sebbagh V, Cellier C, Wind P, Benamouzig R. First case of paralytic intestinal ileus after double balloon enteroscopy. Gut. 2005;54:1823-4 pubmed
- Martin A, Messineo A, Lionetti P, Volta U, Stanghellini V, Barbara G, et al. A case of paraneoplastic inflammatory neuropathy of the gastrointestinal tract related to an underlying neuroblastoma: successful management with immunosuppressive therapy. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2008;46:457-60 pubmed publisher
- Bellutti M, Weigt J, Monkemuller K, Rocken C, Wieners G, Dombrowski F, et al. Localized primary AL-type amyloidosis of the jejunum diagnosed by double-balloon enteroscopy. Endoscopy. 2007;39 Suppl 1:E134-5 pubmed
- Gilbert J, Ibdah J. Intestinal pseudo-obstruction as a manifestation of impaired mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64:586-9 pubmed
- Takakusaki S, Kudo T, Suzuki K, Utsugi M, Tsuchiya T, Shibusawa N, et al. [Intestinal pseudo-obstruction associated with polymyositis successfully treated with somatostatin analog]. Nihon Naika Gakkai Zasshi. 2008;97:398-400 pubmed
- Rondla S, Crane S. A case of clozapine-induced paralytic ileus. Emerg Med J. 2007;24:e12 pubmed..One such problem is that of a paralytic ileus. A case of a young man with psychosis who developed a paralytic ileus while on treatment with clozapine is described here. ..
- Bisanz A, Palmer J, Reddy S, Cloutier L, Dixon T, Cohen M, et al. Characterizing postoperative paralytic ileus as evidence for future research and clinical practice. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2008;31:336-44 pubmed publisher..Clinical implications include the importance of encouraging early oral intake, monitoring fluid intake and output in postoperative patients, and identifying positive fluid balance early to prevent it from continuing. ..
- Laudadio L, Biondi E, D Ostilio N, Cesta A, Di Giandomenico F, Forciniti S, et al. Paralytic ileus associated with capecitabine. Tumori. 2008;94:742-5 pubmed..The pathophysiology of this disorder and its possible connection to capecitabine are described with the aim of promoting the early recognition of the clinical picture so that unnecessary surgery can be avoided...
- Oztas E, Ozin Y, Onder F, Onal I, Oguz D, Kocaefe C. Chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction and neurological manifestations in early adulthood: considering MNGIE syndrome in differential diagnosis. J Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2010;19:195-7 pubmed..The patient presented with cachexia, abdominal pain, diarrhea and muscle weakness, and was previously considered to have gluten sensitive enteropathy and treated with dietary solutions. ..
- Clarke D, Naidoo N, Buccimazza I, Thomson S. Gallstone ileus--clinical image. S Afr J Surg. 2003;41:27 pubmed
- Hirano M, Garcia de Yebenes J, Jones A, Nishino I, DiMauro S, Carlo J, et al. Mitochondrial neurogastrointestinal encephalomyopathy syndrome maps to chromosome 22q13.32-qter. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;63:526-33 pubmed..We found no evidence to implicate three candidate genes in this region, by using direct sequence analysis for DNA helicase II and by assaying enzyme activities for arylsulfatase A and carnitine palmitoyltransferase. ..
- Raofi V, Beatty E, Testa G, Abcarian H, Oberholzer J, Sankary H, et al. Combined living-related segmental liver and bowel transplantation for megacystis-microcolon-intestinal hypoperistalsis syndrome. J Pediatr Surg. 2008;43:e9-e11 pubmed publisher..A CLRLITx can be a viable alternative for infants diagnosed with MMIHS. This procedure can help avoid the 25% wait-list mortality for children who are in need of a combined transplant. ..