Summary: Pathological processes in the ESOPHAGUS.
- Mazaki Tovi M, Baneth G, Aroch I, Harrus S, Kass P, Ben Ari T, et al. Canine spirocercosis: clinical, diagnostic, pathologic, and epidemiologic characteristics. Vet Parasitol. 2002;107:235-50 pubmed..The case-fatality rate decreased toward the end of the study period when improved therapy with avermectins became available...
- Kim S, Lee S. Circumferential intramural esophageal dissection successfully treated by endoscopic procedure and metal stent insertion. J Gastroenterol. 2005;40:1065-9 pubmed
- Weerasuriya N, Snape J. Oesophageal candidiasis in elderly patients: risk factors, prevention and management. Drugs Aging. 2008;25:119-30 pubmed..Itraconazole solution, voriconazole or caspofungin may be used in refractory cases. Use of amphotericin B is restricted because of its narrow therapeutic index. ..
- de Schipper J, Pull ter Gunne A, Oostvogel H, van Laarhoven C. Spontaneous rupture of the oesophagus: Boerhaave's syndrome in 2008. Literature review and treatment algorithm. Dig Surg. 2009;26:1-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we reviewed all published literature in order to design a treatment algorithm based on the literature...
- Fadoo F, Ruiz D, Dawn S, Webb W, Gotway M. Helical CT esophagography for the evaluation of suspected esophageal perforation or rupture. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182:1177-9 pubmed
- Burke S, Golzarian J, Weldon D, Sun S. Nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Eur Radiol. 2007;17:1714-26 pubmed..Endoscopic and angiographic treatment modalities will be highlighted, emphasizing a multi-modality treatment plan for upper gastrointestinal bleeding. ..
- Decker G, Loftus E, Pasha T, Tremaine W, Sandborn W. Crohn's disease of the esophagus: clinical features and outcomes. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2001;7:113-9 pubmed..Immune modifier therapy should be considered for steroid-dependent and steroid-resistant cases. ..
- Kelly P, Fisher M, Lucas H, Krecek R. Treatment of esophageal spirocercosis with milbemycin oxime. Vet Parasitol. 2008;156:358-60 pubmed publisher..This preliminary data shows milbemycin oxime deserves further evaluation for the treatment of spirocercosis...
- Houman M, Ben Ghorbel I, Lamloum M, Khanfir M, Braham A, Haouet S, et al. Esophageal involvement in Behcet's disease. Yonsei Med J. 2002;43:457-60 pubmed..Our results suggest that the prevalence of esophageal involvement in Behcet's disease is rather high and occur even in asymptomatic patients, but that this usually does not result in specific abnormalities. ..
- Mylonakis M, Rallis T, Koutinas A, Ververidis H, Fytianou A. A comparison between ethanol-induced chemical ablation and ivermectin plus prednizolone in the treatment of symptomatic esophageal spirocercosis in the dog: a prospective study on 14 natural cases. Vet Parasitol. 2004;120:131-8 pubmed..The combination of ivermectin and prednizolone may be considered an effective treatment in the symptomatic and evidently asymptomatic esophageal spirocercosis of the dog...
- Landen S, El Nakadi I. Minimally invasive approach to Boerhaave's syndrome: a pilot study of three cases. Surg Endosc. 2002;16:1354-7 pubmed..Boerhaave's syndrome is amenable to minimally invasive techniques. Avoidance of a formal thoracotomy with its resulting morbidity could be of considerable benefit to these critically ill patients. ..
- Pandolfino J, Ghosh S, Rice J, Clarke J, Kwiatek M, Kahrilas P. Classifying esophageal motility by pressure topography characteristics: a study of 400 patients and 75 controls. Am J Gastroenterol. 2008;103:27-37 pubmed..We expect that pressure topography analysis, with its well-defined functional implications, will prove valuable in the clinical management of esophageal motility disorders. ..
- Wu H, Hsia J, Hsu C. Esophageal laceration with intramural dissection mimics esophageal perforation. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2008;7:864-5 pubmed publisher..Computed tomography of the chest revealed low posterior mediastinal abscess formation. Surgery was performed under the impression of esophageal perforation. The definite diagnosis was esophageal laceration with intramural dissection. ..
- Hsu C, Changchien C. Endoscopic and radiological features of intramural esophageal dissection. Endoscopy. 2001;33:379-81 pubmed..The clinical course was uneventful; the patient was discharged later and up to the time of writing has been completely asymptomatic, with normal swallowing function. ..
- Berry W. Spirocerca lupi esophageal granulomas in 7 dogs: resolution after treatment with doramectin. J Vet Intern Med. 2000;14:609-12 pubmed..No dog experienced adverse effects to the drug, and all symptomatic dogs have been free of disease for periods ranging from 3 to 4 years...
- Young C, Menias C, Bhalla S, Prasad S. CT features of esophageal emergencies. Radiographics. 2008;28:1541-53 pubmed publisher..An awareness of the CT findings associated with the spectrum of acute esophageal disease facilitates the accurate and prompt diagnosis of esophageal emergencies and thereby contributes to a more successful outcome. ..
- Freeman R, Ascioti A, Wozniak T. Postoperative esophageal leak management with the Polyflex esophageal stent. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007;133:333-8 pubmed..These stents also offer an appealing alternative to traditional esophageal diversion and subsequent reconstruction in patients with a persistent esophageal leak. ..
- Varadarajulu S, Eloubeidi M, Patel R, Mulcahy H, Barkun A, Jowell P, et al. The yield and the predictors of esophageal pathology when upper endoscopy is used for the initial evaluation of dysphagia. Gastrointest Endosc. 2005;61:804-8 pubmed..Early EGD should be considered, particularly, in male patients aged more than 40 years old who concomitantly report heartburn, odynophagia, or weight loss. ..
- Lavy E, Aroch I, Bark H, Markovics A, Aizenberg I, Mazaki Tovi M, et al. Evaluation of doramectin for the treatment of experimental canine spirocercosis. Vet Parasitol. 2002;109:65-73 pubmed..lupi granulomas could still be seen 544 days post-initiation of treatment with doramectin. Multiple subcutaneous injections of doramectin (400 microg/kg) were shown to be effective and safe in the treatment of canine spirocercosis...
- Vogten J, Overtoom T, Lely R, Quispel R, de Vries J. Superselective coil embolization of arterial esophageal hemorrhage. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2007;18:771-3 pubmed..In patients with severe arterial bleeding of the esophagus, percutaneous superselective arterial coil embolization may be feasible for control of hemorrhage. ..
- Dvir E, Kirberger R, Malleczek D. Radiographic and computed tomographic changes and clinical presentation of spirocercosis in the dog. Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 2001;42:119-29 pubmed
- Vazquez J. Invasive oesophageal candidiasis: current and developing treatment options. Drugs. 2003;63:971-89 pubmed
- Metcalfe S, Morgan Hough C. Cervical epidural abscess and vertebral osteomyelitis following non-traumatic oesophageal rupture: a case report and discussion. Eur Spine J. 2009;18 Suppl 2:224-7 pubmed publisher..This has not been recorded previously in the literature. Cases of vertebral osteomyelitis and epidural abscess secondary to oesophageal rupture are rare, and diagnosis is often delayed. ..
- GÃ¼ltepe Ä, BaÅŸaranoÄŸlu M. Two cases with Plummer-Vinson syndrome in the 21st century. Turk J Gastroenterol. 2016;27:81-2 pubmed publisher..In this presentation, we report two middle-aged female patients with PVS and briefly review the literature. ..
- Nielsen J, Law R, Fiman K, Roberts C. Esophageal lichen planus: a case report and review of the literature. World J Gastroenterol. 2013;19:2278-81 pubmed publisher..By using clinical, endoscopic, and histologic data, a broad list of differential diagnoses can be narrowed, and the accurate diagnosis of ELP can be made, which is essential for proper treatment and subsequent follow-up. ..
- Kastenmeier A, Gonzales H, Gould J. Robotic applications in the treatment of diseases of the esophagus. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2012;22:304-9 pubmed publisherMinimally invasive treatment of esophageal diseases such as gastroesophageal reflux disease, achalasia, and esophageal cancer is associated with many of the benefits observed after the minimally invasive surgery for other diseases (such ..
- Sertznig P, Megahed M. [Linear IgA disease of the oral mucosa with pharyngeal and esophageal involvement]. Hautarzt. 2010;61:924-7 pubmed publisher..Linear IgA disease (LAD) was diagnosed based on histopathological and immunofluorescence examinations. In this patient with LAD, the buccal, pharyngeal and esophageal mucosa was affected without involvement of the skin. ..
- Ruigómez A, Wallander M, Lundborg P, Johansson S, Rodriguez L. Gastroesophageal reflux disease in children and adolescents in primary care. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:139-46 pubmed publisher..The incidence of a GERD diagnosis was age-dependent and was highest among very young children and older female adolescents. Children with neurological impairments and other comorbidities were at increased risk of a GERD diagnosis. ..
- FÃ¼rnkranz A, Bordignon S, BÃ¶hmig M, Konstantinou A, Dugo D, Perrotta L, et al. Reduced incidence of esophageal lesions by luminal esophageal temperature-guided second-generation cryoballoon ablation. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:268-74 pubmed publisher..LET-guided CB2-PVI significantly reduced the incidence of thermal EL. Interrupting cryoablation at 15Â°C LET was associated with the lowest incidence of esophageal injury. ..
- Kumar A, Katz P. Functional esophageal disorders: a review of diagnosis and management. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;7:453-61 pubmed publisher..In this comprehensive review, the authors present an overview of diagnostic approaches to each of these functional esophageal disorders and summarize available evidence on existing management strategies. ..
- Levine M, Rubesin S. History and Evolution of the Barium Swallow for Evaluation of the Pharynx and Esophagus. Dysphagia. 2017;32:55-72 pubmed publisher..relationships, and major advances that have occurred in the radiologic diagnosis of select esophageal diseases, including gastroesophageal reflux disease, infectious esophagitis, eosinophilic esophagitis, esophageal ..
- Celik B, Nadir A, Sahin E, Kaptanoglu M. Is esophagoscopy necessary for corrosive ingestion in adults?. Dis Esophagus. 2009;22:638-41 pubmed publisher..2 months). Based on our study, early esophagoscopy appears to be unnecessary in adult patients who ingested the corrosive agent accidentally. A larger prospective study is needed to answer the question. ..
- Shen K, Harrison Phipps K, Cassivi S, Wigle D, Nichols F, Allen M, et al. Esophagectomy after anti-reflux surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;139:969-75 pubmed publisher..Patients with a history of anti-reflux surgery who undergo esophagectomy are at significantly increased risk for postoperative complications, anastomotic leak, and need for reoperation. ..
- Ramalho L, Martin C, Zerbini T. Sudden death caused by fibrovascular esophageal polyp: case report and study review. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2010;31:103-5 pubmed publisher..Benign tumors of the esophagus are rare but can lead be fatal when aspirated into the upper airway. Here, we describe a sudden death due to aspiration of a fibrovascular polyp supported by a review of 11 cases from the literature. ..
- Budzyński J. Does esophageal dysfunction affect the course of treadmill stress test in patients with recurrent angina-like chest pain?. Pol Arch Med Wewn. 2010;120:484-90 pubmed..esophageal disorders are an important cause of chest pain, potentially affecting the results of the treadmill stress test. However, further research is needed to determine the predictors of the cardioesophageal loop activity. ..
- Zaoutis T, Jafri H, Huang L, Locatelli F, Barzilai A, Ebell W, et al. A prospective, multicenter study of caspofungin for the treatment of documented Candida or Aspergillus infections in pediatric patients. Pediatrics. 2009;123:877-84 pubmed publisher..Efficacy outcomes in patients with invasive aspergillosis or invasive candidiasis were consistent with previous adult studies in these indications. ..
- Zhang J, Hao J, Li S, Zhang S. Successful endoscopic removal of a giant upper esophageal inflammatory fibrous polyp. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:5236-8 pubmed..Here, we describe a case of a giant upper esophageal inflammatory fibrous polyp that was resected successfully by endoscopy. ..
- Kesler K, Pillai S, Birdas T, Rieger K, Okereke I, Ceppa D, et al. "Supercharged" isoperistaltic colon interposition for long-segment esophageal reconstruction. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;95:1162-8; discussion 1168-9 pubmed publisher..Unlike long-segment small bowel "supercharged" techniques, adequate blood supply to the distal conduit may still be present in case thrombosis of the reimplanted vessels occurs. ..
- Ganz R. The future of endoscopic esophageal therapy--what comes next. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2010;20:147-59, viii pubmed publisherThe diagnosis and treatment of esophageal diseases have undergone major changes over the last several years, and these are expected to continue. This article highlights these changes.
- Fuchs K, Breithaupt W, Schulz T, Reinisch A. Experience with flexible stapling techniques in laparoscopic and conventional surgery. Surg Endosc. 2011;25:1783-90 pubmed publisher..This advantage allows for introduction of innovative techniques in gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery. ..
- Park J, Kim S, Sohn J, Chung I, Jung M, Jeon S, et al. Endoscopic findings and clinical features of esophageal tuberculosis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2010;45:1269-72 pubmed publisher..However, esophageal tuberculosis should be considered in the differential diagnosis if ulcerative lesions were found in the mid esophagus. ..
- Lucendo A. Esophageal manifestations of celiac disease. Dis Esophagus. 2011;24:470-5 pubmed publisher..Recent studies have suggested the existence of a possible relationship between CD and eosinophilic esophagitis, which should be more deeply investigated. ..
- Yurtcu M, Arbag H, Toy H, Eryilmaz M, Caglayan O, Abasiyanik A. The healing effects of tissue glues and healing agent locally applied on esophageal anastomoses. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;74:43-6 pubmed publisher..C and NH appear to be beneficial in EA healing with respect to increased BP and decreased HP when they are used simultaneously with PA prophylactically to prevent esophageal leakages and stricture. ..
- Sharma A, Van Oudenhove L, Paine P, Gregory L, Aziz Q. Anxiety increases acid-induced esophageal hyperalgesia. Psychosom Med. 2010;72:802-9 pubmed publisher..Our studies provide a new model for studying the effects of anxiety on esophageal hyperalgesia and may allow testing of therapeutic strategies to reduce this effect. ..
- Lukashok H, Robles Medranda C, Santana M, Costa M, Borges A, Zaltmani C. Intramural esophageal hematoma after elective injection sclerotherapy. Arq Gastroenterol. 2009;46:279-83 pubmed..Impaired coagulation, although not essential, could contribute to hematoma formation and extension through esophageal submucosa. ..
- Yamane T, Uchiyama K, Ishii T, Ishii H, Takizawa R, Omura M, et al. Case of inflammatory fibroid polyp of the esophagogastric junction. Dig Endosc. 2009;21:97-100 pubmed publisher..IFP of the esophagogastric junction is extremely rare, and this case is interesting in that potent inhibition of gastric acid secretion resulted in the regression of the lesion. ..
- Niv Y. Capsule endoscopy: no longer limited to the small bowel. Isr Med Assoc J. 2010;12:178-80 pubmed..Regarding other new technologies, continuous quality control is needed for the performance, appropriateness of the indications, diagnostic yield, procedure-specific outcome assessment, and cost-effectiveness. ..
- Araujo R, Castanheira A, Machado J, Ramalho A, Cancela E, Ministro P, et al. [Acute necrosis of oesophagus]. Acta Med Port. 2011;24:653-6 pubmed..We present this case by the rarity of the disease and the exuberance of endoscopic images in demonstration of this type of injury. ..
- Greene C, McFadden P. The surgeon’s perspective on oesophageal disease, and what it means to pathologists. J Clin Pathol. 2014;67:913-8 pubmed..A collaborative effort between pathologists and surgeons is essential in determining the timing and best approach for interventional therapy. ..
- McGill S, Lenard Z, See A, Irwin P. Nonsurgical treatment of gastroesophageal intussusception in a puppy. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2009;45:185-90 pubmed..Gastroesophageal intussusception is an uncommon disease in small animals and traditionally has been managed surgically. This case report describes an alternative method of treatment associated with a good outcome in this puppy. ..
- Gibson J, Odze R. Pathology of diseases that cause upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2011;21:583-96 pubmed publisher..The aim of this article is to examine the pathologic features of various diseases associated with upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding. ..