Genomes and Genes
Summary: A therapeutic approach, involving chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or surgery, after initial regimens have failed to lead to improvement in a patient's condition. Salvage therapy is most often used for neoplastic diseases.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Imatinib mesylate as salvage therapy for refractory sclerotic chronic graft-versus-host diseaseLeonardo Magro
Service des Maladies du Sang, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire de Lille, Lille Cedex, France
Blood 114:719-22. 2009..Despite its limited size, this cohort suggests some beneficial activity of imatinib in sclerotic chronic graft-versus-host disease, warranting further prospective investigations...
- Combined-modality treatment and selective organ preservation in invasive bladder cancer: long-term resultsClaus Rodel
Department of Radiation Oncology, Institute of Pathology, University of Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Oncol 20:3061-71. 2002..To evaluate our long-term experience with combined modality treatment and selective bladder preservation and to identify factors that may predict treatment response, risk of relapse, and survival...
- Rituximab for steroid-refractory chronic graft-versus-host diseaseCorey Cutler
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Blood 108:756-62. 2006..We conclude that specific anti-B-cell therapy with rituximab may be beneficial for patients with steroidrefractory chronic GVHD. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as #NCT00136396...
- Irinotecan (CPT-11) and mitomycin-C (MMC) as second-line therapy in advanced gastric cancer: a phase II study of the Gruppo Oncologico dell' Italia Meridionale (prot. 2106)Francesco Giuliani
Department of Medical Oncology, Oncology Institute, Bari, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 28:581-5. 2005..The aim of this study was to evaluate the activity and toxicity of a combination regimen of CPT-11 and mitomycin-c as second-line chemotherapy for pretreated patients with advanced, metastatic, or both, gastric adenocarcinoma...
- A randomized controlled trial to evaluate antiretroviral salvage therapy guided by rules-based or phenotype-driven HIV-1 genotypic drug-resistance interpretation with or without concentration-controlled intervention: the Resistance and Dosage Adapted RegiCarlo Torti
Institute for Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Brescia, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 40:1828-36. 2005..intervention (CCI) and rules-based human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 genotype drug-resistance interpretation (GI) or virtual phenotype drug-resistance interpretation (VPI) may improve the outcome of HIV salvage therapy.
- Patterns of relapse and prognosis after bevacizumab failure in recurrent glioblastomaF M Iwamoto
Department of Neurology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10065, USA
Neurology 73:1200-6. 2009..However, patterns of relapse, prognosis, and outcome of further therapy after bevacizumab failure have not been studied systematically...
- Weekly irinotecan in patients with metastatic gastric cancer failing cisplatin-based chemotherapyJong Ho Chun
Gastric Cancer Branch, Research Institute and Hospital, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Korea
Jpn J Clin Oncol 34:8-13. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: This weekly schedule of irinotecan was modestly active against cisplatin-refractory gastric cancer and relatively well-tolerated with appropriate dose modification...
- Comparison of health-related quality of life and prostate-associated symptoms after primary and salvage cryotherapy for prostate cancerAristotelis G Anastasiadis
Department of Urology, Columbia University Health Sciences, 161 Fort Washington Avenue, Herbert Irving Pavilion, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 129:676-82. 2003..More information regarding QoL is necessary for appropriate patient counseling and individual decision-making in the presence of various treatment alternatives...
- Trastuzumab and gemcitabine as salvage therapy in heavily pre-treated patients with metastatic breast cancerRupert Bartsch
First Department of Medicine and Cancer Centre, Clinical Division of Oncology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 62:903-10. 2008..In this trial, we evaluated the efficacy and safety of gemcitabine and trastuzumab after earlier exposure to anthracyclines, docetaxel and/or vinorelbine, and trastuzumab...
- Salvage prostate cryoablation: initial results from the cryo on-line data registryLouis L Pisters
Department of Urology, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Urol 180:559-63; discussion 563-4. 2008..We report contemporary outcomes of salvage cryoablation at a large number of centers which have participated in the COLD (Cryo On-Line Data) Registry...
- Bevacizumab salvage therapy following progression in high-grade glioma patients treated with VEGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitorsBrian J Scott
Lahey Clinic Medical Center, Department of Neurology, 41 Mall Road, Burlington, MA 01805, USA
Neuro Oncol 12:603-7. 2010..3 weeks. Grade III/IV toxicities were seen in 13 of 24 patients (54%). Subsequently with bevacizumab salvage therapy, 5 of 24 patients (21%) had a PR, the APF6 was 12.5%, and the median TTP was 8 weeks...
- Free tissue transfer to manage salvage laryngectomy defects after organ preservation failureKirk P Withrow
Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0012, USA
Laryngoscope 117:781-4. 2007..We hypothesize that even when sufficient mucosa is present to close the defect primarily, introduction of vascularized tissue to close the defect may improve outcomes...
- A Phase II trial of the oral mTOR inhibitor everolimus in relapsed Hodgkin lymphomaPatrick B Johnston
Division of Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Hematol 85:320-4. 2010..Four patients experienced a Grade 3 or higher pulmonary toxicity. Everolimus has single-agent activity in relapsed/refractory HL and provides proof-of-concept that targeting the mTOR pathway in HL is clinically relevant...
- Radiographic patterns of relapse in glioblastomaMarc C Chamberlain
Division of Neuro Oncology, Department of Neurology and Neurological Surgery, Fred Hutchinson Research Cancer Center, University of Washington, 895 Eastlake Ave, POB Box 19023, MS G4 940, Seattle, WA 98109 1023, USA
J Neurooncol 101:319-23. 2011Glioblastoma (GBM) pathologically is defined as an infiltrative glioma and salvage therapy with bevacizumab is believed to increase the incidence of diffuse and distant invasion as assessed radiographically...
- Outcomes of multiple salvage chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer: implications for clinical practice and trial designYong Wha Moon
Cancer Metastasis Research Center, Yonsei University College of Medicine, 250 Seongsanno, Seodaemun gu, Seoul, Korea
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:797-805. 2010..We analyzed the natural history of advanced gastric cancer with sequential salvage chemotherapy following first-line treatment...
- Long-term results of the R-CHOP study in the treatment of elderly patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a study by the Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'AdulteP Feugier
Hematology Department, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Brabois, 54500 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Clin Oncol 23:4117-26. 2005....
- Treatment of multiple myelomaBart Barlogie
Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Blood 103:20-32. 2004..Fundamental and clinical research should, therefore, focus on the molecular and biologic mechanisms of treatment failure in the high-risk subgroup...
- Phase II study of erlotinib as a salvage treatment for non-small-cell lung cancer patients after failure of gefitinib treatmentD H Lee
Department of Oncology, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, Seoul, South Korea
Ann Oncol 19:2039-42. 2008..We conducted a phase II study of erlotinib after failure of gefitinib treatment in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- Pharyngocutaneous fistula repair after radiotherapy and salvage total laryngectomyLawrence Iteld
Department of Plastic Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Reconstr Microsurg 23:339-45. 2007..Early repair is strongly recommended once a postlaryngectomy pharyngocutaneous fistula is identified...
- Rituximab as salvage therapy for refractory chronic GVHDM Mohty
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:909-11. 2008
- Review of primary and salvage cryoablation for prostate cancerJoseph L Chin
Division of Urological Surgery, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 4G5
Cancer Control 14:231-7. 2007..Herein we present a review and summary reports on primary cryoablation for prostate cancer and salvage cryoablation following radiation failure...
- A pretreatment nomogram predicting biochemical failure after salvage cryotherapy for locally recurrent prostate cancerPhilippe E Spiess
Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
BJU Int 106:194-8. 2010....
- Second-line chemotherapy with combined irinotecan and low-dose cisplatin for patients with metastatic gastric carcinoma resistant to 5-fluorouracilShinya Shimada
Department of Surgery II, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto 860 8556, Japan
Oncol Rep 10:687-91. 2003....
- Predictive factors of tumor control and survival after radiosurgery for local failures of nasopharyngeal carcinomaDaniel T T Chua
Department of Clinical Oncology, The University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1415-21. 2006..To identify patients that would benefit from radiosurgery, we reviewed our data with emphasis on factors that predicted treatment outcome...
- Quality of life 2 years after salvage cryosurgery for the treatment of local recurrence of prostate cancer after radiotherapyJohn W Robinson
Department of Oncology and Program in Clinical Psychology, University of Calgary, Tom Baker Cancer Centre, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Urol Oncol 24:472-86. 2006..The present study's purpose was to further the understanding of the quality of life outcomes of salvage cryosurgery...
- Time-intensified dexamethasone/cisplatin/cytarabine: an effective salvage therapy with low toxicity in patients with relapsed and refractory Hodgkin's diseaseA Josting
Klinik I fur Innere Medizin, Universitat zu Koln, Koln, Germany
Ann Oncol 13:1628-35. 2002....
- Salvage therapy in patients with glioblastoma: is there any benefit?Peter Hau
Klinik und Poliklinik für Neurologie der Universität Regensburg im Bezirksklinikum, Regensburg, Germany
Cancer 98:2678-86. 2003..Their objectives were to improve patients' overall survival with sustained quality of life and to make comparisons with overall survival in unselected patients...
- Salvage therapy in relapsed squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity: how and when?Chun Ta Liao
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Cancer 112:94-103. 2008..In addition, salvage therapy may be a significant source of morbidity in patients with relapsing OSCC...
- Colistin as a salvage therapy for nosocomial infections caused by multidrug-resistant bacteria in the ICUHatem Kallel
Service de Reanimation Medicale, CHU Habib Bourguiba, Route el Ain Km 1, 3029 Sfax, Tunisia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:366-9. 2006..9%). Renal failure occurred in only seven cases. We conclude that colistin can be a safe and effective salvage therapeutic option for nosocomial infections caused by multidrug-resistant A. baumannii or P. aeruginosa...
- ACNU-cisplatin continuous infusion chemotherapy as salvage therapy for recurrent glioblastomas: phase II studyHo-Shin Gwak
Department of Neurosurgery, Korea Institute of Radiological and Medical Science, 139-706, 215-4 Gongreung-dong, Nowon-gu, Seoul, Korea
J Neurooncol 75:173-80. 2005..CONCLUSION: ACNU and cisplatin chemotherapy can be an effective salvage therapy for recurrent glioblastoma patients...
- John E. Bennett Forum on Deep Mycoses Study Design 2004: Candidiasis and salvage therapy for aspergillosisRichard P Wenzel
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, 23298, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:S369-70. 2005
- Salvage cryotherapy for recurrent prostate cancer after radiation failure: a prospective case series of the first 100 patientsMohamed Ismail
The Royal Surrey County Hospital and St Luke s Cancer Centre, Guildford, Surrey, UK
BJU Int 100:760-4. 2007..To report the short- to intermediate-term experience of using salvage targeted cryoablation of the prostate (TCAP) for the recurrence of localized prostate cancer after radiotherapy...
- Patient selection, cancer control, and complications after salvage local therapy for postradiation prostate-specific antigen failure: a systematic review of the literaturePaul L Nguyen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 110:1417-28. 2007....
- The use of Palma's procedure in the salvage therapy for a leiomyosarcoma of the right pelvic sidewall: an intraoperative multidisciplinary approachS Ahuja
Department of Gynaecological Oncology, Addenbrookes Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2QQ, UK
Int J Gynecol Cancer 15:175-9. 2005..Chemotherapy was given postoperatively. Imaging at 12 months after surgery showed a patent vascular graft and no evidence of recurrence. There was no clinical evidence of recurrence at 21 months postsurgery...
- Phase II study of irinotecan (CPT-11) as salvage therapy for advanced nasopharyngeal carcinomaDonald Poon
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center, Singapore
Cancer 103:576-81. 2005..Studies combining irinotecan with other active agents in the first-line setting are warranted...
- Salvage cryoablation of the prostate: followup and analysis of predictive factors for outcomeChee Kwan Ng
Division of Urology, Department of Pathology, London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 178:1253-7; discussion 1257. 2007..We assessed the efficacy of cryoablation of the prostate with an emphasis on finding predictive factors that lead to improved outcome...
- A phase II study of irinotecan with bi-weekly, low-dose leucovorin and bolus and continuous infusion 5-fluorouracil (modified FOLFIRI) as salvage therapy for patients with advanced or metastatic gastric cancerSeong Geun Kim
Department of Internal Medicine, Dong A University College of Medicine, 3 1 Dongdaeshin dong, Seo Gu, Busan, 602 715, Korea
Jpn J Clin Oncol 37:744-9. 2007..and efficacy of a modified FOLFIRI regimen (irinotecan with bi-weekly, low dose leucovorin (ldLV) and bolus and continuous infusion with 5-fluorouracil (5-FU)) as a salvage therapy for patients with advanced or metastatic gastric cancer.
- Salvage cryosurgery for recurrent prostate cancer after radiation therapy: a seven-year follow-upDuke K Bahn
Prostate Institute of America, Community Memorial Hospital, Ventura, CA 93003, USA
Clin Prostate Cancer 2:111-4. 2003..This 7-year analysis shows a promising validation of cryosurgery as an efficacious treatment modality for locally confined T1-T3 prostate cancer following primary radiation therapy failure...
- Raltegravir: a new antiretroviral class for salvage therapyPedro Cahn
Department of Clinical Research, , Buenos Aires, Argentina (C1202ABB
Lancet 369:1235-6. 2007
- Current status of local salvage therapies following radiation failure for prostate cancerNaji J Touma
Division of Urology, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 173:373-9. 2005..The study of brachytherapy remains in its infancy and the efficacy of this modality remains to be determined...
- Drug-drug interaction in a kidney transplant recipient receiving HIV salvage therapy and tacrolimusDominik Mertz
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Am J Kidney Dis 54:e1-4. 2009..virus (HIV)-associated focal segmental glomerulosclerosis leading to kidney cadaveric transplantation, HIV salvage therapy was started with the new PI darunavir and boosted with ritonavir, another PI...
- Salvage therapy with bicalutamide 150 mg in nonmetastatic castration-resistant prostate cancerMichele Lodde
Department of Urology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire du Québec, Quebec, Canada
Urology 76:1189-93. 2010..To evaluate the rate and duration of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) response to high-dose bicalutamide (150 mg) in nonmetastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer patients and its impact on metastasis-free survival...
- Salvage therapy with (177)Lu-octreotate in patients with bronchial and gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumorsMartijn van Essen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Nucl Med 51:383-90. 2010..We present the effects of additional therapy with (177)Lu-octreotate in patients in whom progressive disease developed after an initial benefit from regular therapy...
- Impact of postoperative prostate-specific antigen disease recurrence and the use of salvage therapy on the risk of deathToni K Choueiri
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer 116:1887-92. 2010..BCR) as a time-dependent covariate (t) after radical prostatectomy (RP) for prostate cancer was associated with the risk of death and whether salvage therapy with radiotherapy (RT) and/or hormonal therapy (HT) can lessen this risk
- Raltegravir, maraviroc, etravirine: an effective protease inhibitor and nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-sparing regimen for salvage therapy in HIV-infected patients with triple-class experienceSilvia Nozza
Department of Infectious Diseases, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Italy
AIDS 24:924-8. 2010..Although long-term safety needs further study, this protease inhibitor and nucleoside analogue-sparing regimen showed sustained efficacy...
- Efficacy and safety of erlotinib monotherapy for Japanese patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer: a phase II studyKaoru Kubota
National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Chiba, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 3:1439-45. 2008..Available tumor biopsy samples were analyzed to examine relationships between biomarkers and clinical outcome...
- Primary and salvage cryotherapy for prostate cancerDavid S Finley
Department of Urology, Institute of Urologic Oncology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 924 Westwood Boulevard, Suite 1050, Box 957207, Los Angeles, CA 90095 7207, USA
Urol Clin North Am 37:67-82, Table of Contents. 2010..Emerging data suggest that, in select cases, cryoablation may have a role in focal ablation of prostate. The current state of the art of cryoablation in these applications is reviewed...
- Salvage therapy with bevacizumab-sunitinib combination after failure of sunitinib alone for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: a case seriesJacques Medioni
Department of Oncology, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Eur Urol 56:207-11; quiz 211. 2009..metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with bevacizumab (10 mg/kg) in combination with sunitinib 25-50 mg as salvage therapy after disease progression under sunitinib monotherapy...
- Is there a role for second-line chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer?Robert Wesolowski
Taussig Cancer Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Lancet Oncol 10:903-12. 2009..We review the published data concerning the use of chemotherapy in the second-line setting for the treatment of advanced gastric cancer...
- Strategic approach to the management of Hodgkin's disease incorporating salvage therapy with high-dose ifosfamide, etoposide and epirubicin: a Northern Region Lymphoma Group study (UK)S J Proctor
Royal Victoria Infirmary, Department of Haematology, School of Clinical and Laboratory Sciences, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Ann Oncol 14:i47-50. 2003..We conclude that the high-dose ifosfamide-containing regimens should be prospectively evaluated in the various types of non-responsive and relapsing Hodgkin's disease...
- The assessment of pharyngocutaneous fistula rate in patients treated primarily with definitive radiotherapy followed by salvage surgery of the larynx and hypopharynxRichard Dirven
Sydney Head and Neck Cancer Institute, Sydney Cancer Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and University of Sydney, Australia
Laryngoscope 119:1691-5. 2009....
- Salvage therapy for acute myeloid leukemia with fludarabine, cytarabine, and idarubicin with or without gemtuzumab ozogamicin and with concurrent or sequential G-CSFMike G Martin
Section of Leukemia and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Division of Oncology, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Am J Hematol 84:733-7. 2009..The patients who received G-CSF concurrently with chemotherapy had improved outcomes. Am. J. Hematol., 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Pectoralis myofascial flap during salvage laryngectomy prevents pharyngocutaneous fistulaUrjeet A Patel
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Northwestern University, and Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Cook County Hospital, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 141:190-5. 2009..To determine the rate of pharyngocutaneous fistula after salvage laryngectomy and assess if pectoralis myofascial flap reinforcement over primary pharyngeal closure prevents pharyngocutaneous fistula...
- Salvage therapy for Hodgkin's lymphomaFahd Quddus
Section of Hematology and Oncology, UNMC Oncology Hematology Section, 987680 Nebraska Medical Center, University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE, USA
Cancer J 15:161-3. 2009..This article provides a review of the current literature regarding salvage therapy for HL.
- Platelet-lysate-expanded mesenchymal stromal cells as a salvage therapy for severe resistant graft-versus-host disease in a pediatric populationGiovanna Lucchini
Clinica Pediatrica, Universita Milano Bicocca, Ospedale San Gerardo, Via Donizetti 106, Monza, MI, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 16:1293-301. 2010..Two patients developed chronic limited GVHD. This study underlines the safety of PL-expanded MSC use in children. MSC efficacy seems to be greater in aGVHD than in cGVHD, even after failure of multiple lines of immunosuppression...
- Cetuximab, bevacizumab, and irinotecan for patients with primary glioblastoma and progression after radiation therapy and temozolomide: a phase II trialBenedikte Hasselbalch
Department of Radiation Biology, The Finsen Center, Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Neuro Oncol 12:508-16. 2010..However, the efficacy data do not seem to be superior compared with results with bevacizumab and irinotecan alone...
- Partial salvage cryoablation of the prostate for recurrent prostate cancer after radiotherapy failureMichael L Eisenberg
Department of Urology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143 1695, USA
Urology 72:1315-8. 2008..To determine the efficacy of partial cryoablation of the prostate in the salvage setting...
- High-intensity focused ultrasound as salvage therapy for patients with recurrent prostate cancer after external beam radiation, brachytherapy or proton therapyToyoaki Uchida
Department of Urology, Tokai University Hachioji Hospital, Hachioji, Tokyo, Tokai University, Isehara, Kanagawa, Japan
BJU Int 107:378-82. 2011To investigate the use of high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) as a salvage therapy in patients with recurrence of localized prostate cancer after external beam radiation (EBRT), brachytherapy, or proton therapy.
- Mantle cell lymphoma: Frontline and salvage therapyJorge E Romaguera
Department of Lymphoma Myeloma, Unit 429, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Curr Hematol Malig Rep 3:204-9. 2008..New insights into resistance pathways and new drugs created to inhibit them offer great promise in the treatment of newly diagnosed and previously treated MCL...
- Lenalidomide is effective as salvage therapy in refractory or relapsed multiple myeloma: analysis of the Spanish Compassionate Use Registry in advanced patientsAdrian Alegre
Department of Hematology, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, C Diego de Leon, 62, 28006 Madrid, Spain
Int J Hematol 93:351-60. 2011We evaluated the clinical results of lenalidomide (Len) as a compassionate salvage therapy in refractory/relapsed multiple myeloma (MM) patients...
- Lenalidomide in combination with dexamethasone at first relapse in comparison with its use as later salvage therapy in relapsed or refractory multiple myelomaEdward A Stadtmauer
Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Eur J Haematol 82:426-32. 2009..Therefore, lenalidomide plus dexamethasone is both effective and tolerable for second-line MM therapy and the data suggest that the greatest benefit occurs with earlier use...
- Drug resistance profiles for the HIV integrase gene in patients failing raltegravir salvage therapyC Charpentier
Laboratoire de Virologie, AP HP, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
HIV Med 9:765-70. 2008..Here, we describe the development of RAL resistance, in both plasmatic and cellular compartments, in three heavily pretreated HIV-infected patients failing RAL-containing regimens...
- Sequential flavopiridol, cytosine arabinoside, and mitoxantrone: a phase II trial in adults with poor-risk acute myelogenous leukemiaJudith E Karp
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231 1000, USA
Clin Cancer Res 13:4467-73. 2007..We have now completed a phase II study of sequential flavopiridol, ara-C, and mitoxantrone in 62 adults with poor-risk AML...
- The multicenter trial SAKK 37/95 of cladribine, cyclophosphamide and prednisone in the treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemias and low-grade non-Hodgkin's lymphomasFrance Laurencet
Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Acta Haematol 117:40-7. 2007..Great caution is thus required in these susceptible patients and the routine use of corticosteroids should probably be abandoned...
- Second-line chemotherapy with pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and carboplatin is highly effective in patients with advanced ovarian cancer in late relapse: a GINECO phase II trialJ M Ferrero
Centre Antoine Lacassagne, Nice, France
Ann Oncol 18:263-8. 2007..Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) has significant single-agent activity in this setting. Therefore, we evaluated the use of PLD plus carboplatin in this patient population...
- Selective bladder conservation using transurethral resection, chemotherapy, and radiation: management and consequences of Ta, T1, and Tis recurrence within the retained bladderA L Zietman
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston Massachusetts 02114, USA
Urology 58:380-5. 2001..This may be managed in the standard fashion with transurethral resection of the bladder tumor and intravesical therapies but carries an additional risk that late cystectomy will be required...
- Relapse of primary central nervous system lymphoma: clinical features, outcome and prognostic factorsKristoph Jahnke
Department of Hematology, Oncology and Transfusion Medicine, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, D 12200, Berlin, Germany
J Neurooncol 80:159-65. 2006..Survival of patients with relapsed PCNSL is poor despite high response rates to salvage therapy. Good KPS, isolated systemic relapse and treatment for relapse were significantly associated with longer ..
- High-dose sequential chemotherapy followed by autologous stem cell transplantation in relapsed and refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of a multicenter phase II studyA Josting
University Hospital Cologne, First Department of Internal Medicine, Germany
Ann Oncol 16:1359-65. 2005..High-dose chemotherapy (HDCT) with autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) can improve the outcome of these patients. We evaluated an intensified high-dose sequential chemotherapy program with a final myeloablative course...
- Outcome of patients experiencing progression or relapse after primary treatment with two cycles of chemotherapy and radiotherapy for early-stage favorable Hodgkin's lymphomaMichal Sieniawski
First Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Cologne, Cologne, Germany
J Clin Oncol 25:2000-5. 2007..To evaluate treatment outcome of patients with early-stage favorable Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL) who experience disease relapse after primary treatment with two cycles of chemotherapy followed by radiotherapy (RT)...
- Long-term survival of patients with resistant lymphoma treated with tandem stem cell transplantT Ahmed
Department of Hematology Oncology, New York Medical College and Zalmen A Arlin Cancer Institute, Valhalla, NY, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 46:405-14. 2005..Dose-intensive chemotherapy with tandem transplantation is an option in patients with resistant/refractory lymphoma who have very limited treatment options and poor prognosis...
- Salvage therapy for refractory or relapsed acute lymphocytic leukemiaG Garcia-Manero
Department of Leukemia, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 15:163-205. 2001..Attainment of a second or later CR should be followed by allogeneic BMT when feasible owing to the paucity of long-term survivors with salvage chemotherapy alone...
- Autologous or allogeneic stem cell transplantation as post-remission therapy in refractory or relapsed acute myeloid leukemia after highly intensive chemotherapyX Thomas
Department of Hematology, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Leuk Lymphoma 46:1007-16. 2005....
- Conventional second-line salvage chemotherapy regimens are not warranted in patients with malignant lymphomas who have progressive disease after first-line salvage therapy regimensKirit M Ardeshna
Department of Haematology, University College London Hospitals, London, UK
Br J Haematol 130:363-72. 2005..the outcome of patients with relapsed or refractory lymphoma who have an inadequate response to first-line salvage therapy (1 degrees ST) and who subsequently receive a second-line salvage regimen (2 degrees ST) with the intention ..
- Gemcitabine, ifosfamide, oxaliplatin and rituximab (R-GIFOX), a new effective cytoreductive/mobilizing salvage regimen for relapsed and refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: results of a pilot studyG Corazzelli
Hematology-Oncology Unit, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Fondazione G. Pascale, Naples, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:iv18-24. 2006..CONCLUSIONS: Based on the results of this pilot study, we conclude that the R-GIFOX regimen is feasible, tolerable, effective and able to mobilize peripheral stem cells in patients with relapsed and refractory aggressive NHL...
- Long-term outcomes after reduced-intensity conditioning allogeneic stem cell transplantation for low-grade lymphoma: a survey by the French Society of Bone Marrow Graft Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (SFGM-TC)Stephane Vigouroux
Service d Hematologie Clinique, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Haematologica 92:627-34. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the outcome of patients with LGL treated with RIC allogeneic SCT...
- Gemcitabine, cisplatin and methylprednisolone (GEM-P) with or without Rituximab in relapsed and refractory patients with diffuse large B cell lymphoma (DLBCL)Bhawna Sirohi
Lymphoma Unit, Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust, Sutton, Surrey, UK
Hematology 12:149-53. 2007..04). GEM-P is an effective second-line regimen in patients with relapsed or refractory DLBCL and the addition of Rituximab appears to further improve outcomes...
- Randomised phase III study of R-ICE versus R-DHAP in relapsed patients with CD20 diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) followed by high-dose therapy and a second randomisation to maintenance treatment with rituximab or not: an update of the CORAL studyH Hagberg
Department of Oncology, Akademiska sjukhuset, Uppsala, Sweden
Ann Oncol 17:iv31-2. 2006..5 years. Results to date are very preliminary but suggest encouraging rates of response. However, they also indicate that initial exposure to rituximab may increase the difficulty of salvaging patients who fail first-line therapy...
- Midline NK/T-cell lymphoma nasal-type: treatment outcome, the effect of L-asparaginase based regimen, and prognostic factorsWeiben Yong
Department of Medical Oncology, Beijing Cancer Hospital, School of Oncology, Peking University, PR China
Hematol Oncol 24:28-32. 2006..To improve the treatment outcome, we have tried using L-asparaginase based regimen as salvage regimen plus radiation in CHOP failures, and report here the therapeutic results and prognostic factors...
- Estimating late adverse events using competing risks after autologous stem-cell transplantation in aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphoma patientsRodrigo Ruiz-Soto
Departement of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Cancer 104:2735-42. 2005..CONCLUSION: ASCT is effective in patients with aggressive NHL with a poor prognosis. However, careful long-term follow-up of survivors is recommended because of the increase in malignant and nonmalignant toxicities...
- Long-term outcome in children with relapsed ALL by risk-stratified salvage therapy: results of trial acute lymphoblastic leukemia-relapse study of the Berlin-Frankfurt-MÃ¼nster Group 87Hagen Graf Einsiedel
Department of Pediatric Oncology/Hematology, , Germany
J Clin Oncol 23:7942-50. 2005..Immunophenotype and time point of relapse are important prognostic factors that allow us to adapt more precisely treatment intensity to individual prognosis in future trials...
- The adjusted International Prognostic Index and beta-2-microglobulin predict the outcome after autologous stem cell transplantation in relapsing/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphomaJose Rodriguez
Oncology Department, University Hospital Son Dureta, Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain
Haematologica 92:1067-74. 2007Preliminary data on the use of autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) as a salvage therapy for peripheral T-cell lymphoma (PTCL) indicate that the results are similar to those obtained in aggressive B-cell lymphomas...
- Salvage radiotherapy for postoperative loco-regional recurrence of esophageal cancerH Yamashita
Department of Radiology, University of Tokyo Hospital, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan
Dis Esophagus 18:215-20. 2005..Additionally, there is symptomatic relief in a substantial proportion of such patients, and long-term survival is possible in some patients...
- Pretransplant positive positron emission tomography/gallium scans predict poor outcome in patients with recurrent/refractory Hodgkin lymphomaElias Jabbour
Department of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 109:2481-9. 2007....
- Survival impact of planned restaging and early surgical salvage following definitive chemoradiation for locally advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the oropharynx and hypopharynxSue S Yom
Department of Radiation Oncology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Clin Oncol 28:385-92. 2005..Future efforts may focus on the improved selection of patients who would be most likely to require early surgical intervention...
- Dexamethasone, high-dose cytarabine, and cisplatin in combination with rituximab as salvage treatment for patients with relapsed or refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomaUlrich J M Mey
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Germany
Cancer Invest 24:593-600. 2006..With a median follow-up of 24.9 months, median overall and progression-free survivals were 8.5 and 6.7 months, respectively. Immunochemotherapy with rituximab and DHAP proved to be feasible and effective in this patient population...
- A reduced intensity conditioning regimen for allografting following autografting is feasible and has strong anti-myeloma activityAngelo Michele Carella
Haematologica 89:1534-6. 2004..We suggest that this two-step approach is feasible and it has strong anti-myeloma activity...
- Treatment of locally recurrent rectal cancer, results and prognostic factorsO Reerink
Department of Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Surg Oncol 30:954-8. 2004..CONCLUSION: In a selection of patients in the treatment of locally recurrent rectal cancer valuable local palliation if not cure, can be reached. A multimodality approach seems to offer the best chances in this threatening situation...
- Analysis of surgical salvage after failure of primary therapy in rectal cancer: results from Intergroup Study 0114J E Tepper
Department of Radiation Oncology, Campus Box No 7512, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7512, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:3623-8. 2003..A subset analysis was undertaken to investigate the prevalence and influence of salvage therapy among patients with recurrent disease.
- Real-time quantitation of minimal residual disease in inv(16)-positive acute myeloid leukemia may indicate risk for clinical relapse and may identify patients in a curable stateSilvia Buonamici
, University of Bologna, Italy
Blood 99:443-9. 2002..12% might indicate the patient is in a curable state. If confirmed, such thresholds could open the way to a new phase in post-CR therapeutic decision making for patients with inv(16) AML...
- Salvage chemotherapy according to the ASHAP protocol: a single-center study of 24 patients with relapsed or refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomasH Nuckel
Department of Hematology, University of Essen Medical School, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Essen, Germany
Ann Hematol 82:481-6. 2003..Factors predicting a poor response to salvage therapy were primary refractory disease, elevated lactate dehydrogenase activity, and an IPI score of >/=2...
- Stem cell transplantation for mantle cell lymphoma: should it ever be used outside clinical trials?J W Sweetenham
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 28:813-20. 2001..In the absence of clear evidence for a survival advantage for patients receiving stem cell transplants for mantle cell lymphoma, entry into clinical trials should be a priority...
- EMR as salvage treatment for patients with locoregional failure of definitive chemoradiotherapy for esophageal cancerSanta Hattori
Division of Digestive Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital East, Kashiwa, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 58:65-70. 2003..EMR may be a salvage treatment option when a recurrent or residual tumor is superficial or local...
- Salvage chemotherapy with mitomycin C, ifosfamide, and cisplatin (MIC) for previously treated metastatic or recurrent esophageal squamous cell carcinomaByeong Bae Park
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
Invest New Drugs 26:387-92. 2008....
- Linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery for limited, locally persistent, and recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma: efficacy and complicationsDaniel T T Chua
Department of Clinical Oncology, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, China
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 56:177-83. 2003..To evaluate the efficacy and complication of linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) when used as salvage treatment for early-stage persistent and recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) after primary radiotherapy (RT)...
- Hematopoietic cell transplantation beyond first remissionF R Appelbaum
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and the University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA
Leukemia 16:157-9. 2002
- Salvage treatment with etoposide (VP-16), ifosfamide and cytarabine (Ara-C) for patients with recurrent primary central nervous system lymphomaEduardo Arellano-Rodrigo
Service of Hematology, , , Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Haematol 70:219-24. 2003..Finally, one patient developed a severe but reversible ifosfamide encephalopathy. CONCLUSION: The data presented show that the chemotherapy VIA is an effective salvage regimen for patients with recurrent PCNSL...
- Treatment of children with nonmetastatic paratesticular rhabdomyosarcoma: results of the Malignant Mesenchymal Tumors studies (MMT 84 and MMT 89) of the International Society of Pediatric OncologyRichard J Stewart
Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Clin Oncol 21:793-8. 2003..Intensified chemotherapy incorporating alkylating agents for this subgroup may be preferred to the use of systematic lymphadenectomy to improve survival while minimizing the burden of therapy...
- 'Relative' chemotherapy sensitivity: the impact of number of salvage regimens prior to autologous stem cell transplant for relapsed and refractory aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphomaC I Chen
The University of Toronto Autologous Blood and Marrow Transplant Program, Princess Margaret Hospital, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada
Bone Marrow Transplant 30:885-91. 2002..All patients were treated with salvage therapy to maximum tumor reduction...
- Invasive bladder cancer: organ preservation by radiochemotherapyC Rodel
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Erlangen, Germany
Front Radiat Ther Oncol 36:118-30. 2002
- Mylotarg combined with topotecan and cytarabine in patients with refractory acute myelogenous leukemiaJorge Cortes
Department of Leukemia, The University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1400 Holcombe Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 50:497-500. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: MTA was moderately effective and associated with significant toxicity in patients with refractory AML...
- Concurrent chemoradiotherapy with low-dose cisplatin plus 5-fluorouracil for the treatment of patients with unresectable head and neck cancerNaoyuki Kohno
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Kyorin University School of Medicine, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan
Oncology 63:226-31. 2002....
- ENHANCING ACTIVITY OF ALKYLATING AGENTS IN NEUROBLASTOMACHARLES PATRICK REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2010..the frequency of p53 loss-of-function (p53 LOF) in recurrent neuroblastoma and to determine if response to salvage therapy correlates with p53 status...
- SPORE in LymphomaRichard Ambinder; Fiscal Year: 2007..with high dose therapy and autologous peripheral stem cell rescue insofar as this has emerged as the standard salvage therapy for HL patients and reduces tumor bulk and tumor-associated cytokines, chemokines and other molecules that ..
- A Resorbable Cryoprobe Provides a Salvage Therapeutic OptionKRISTI SNYDER; Fiscal Year: 2007..applied in specific locations of the diseased area; (3) The application of will initially be intended as a salvage therapy tool for treating prostate cancer and; (4) the utilization of this device may also be an effective nerve-..
- SYNTHESIS AND BIOTRANSFORMATION OF ANTI-HIV PRODRUGSCHUNG CHU; Fiscal Year: 2007..it has demonstrated a favorable viral resistant profile in vitro as well as in vivo, which is necessary for salvage therapy for AIDS patients. Therefore, DAPD has been designated as a "fast-track" compound by the FDA...
- Induction of molecular Mediators by Enteral Nutrients in the Postischemic GutRosemary Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2007..consequences of admin- istration of arginine and glutamine in combination when delivered as synchronous and salvage therapy to the postischemic gut...
- Induction of molecular Mediators by Enteral Nutrients in the Postischemic GutRosemary A Kozar; Fiscal Year: 2010..consequences of admin- istration of arginine and glutamine in combination when delivered as synchronous and salvage therapy to the postischemic gut...
- INTEGRATE/PHARMACOKINETIC/ANTIRETROVIRUS RESISTANCE TESTEdward Acosta; Fiscal Year: 2006..viral phenotypic drug susceptibility (IC50) information to assist clinicians in choosing optimal regimens for salvage therapy of their treatment-experienced HIV-infected patients...
- Improved Diagnosis in ALLDietrich Stephan; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Salvage therapy for this poor outcome group is currently ineffectual (LTDFS in less than 10 percent of cases) but there is ..
- ACTIVITY OF RESISTANT VARIANTS OF HIV PROTEASEIrene T Weber; Fiscal Year: 2011..of mutant proteases, resulting in high potency, excellent resistance profile, and approval for AIDS salvage therapy in June 2006...
- ACTIVITY OF RESISTANT VARIANTS OF HIV PROTEASEIrene T Weber; Fiscal Year: 2010..of mutant proteases, resulting in high potency, excellent resistance profile, and approval for AIDS salvage therapy in June 2006...
- ACTIVITY OF RESISTANT VARIANTS OF HIV PROTEASEIrene Weber; Fiscal Year: 2009..of mutant proteases, resulting in high potency, excellent resistance profile, and approval for AIDS salvage therapy in June 2006...
- Hu1D10 in CLL: CLINICAL AND LABORATORY STUDIESJohn Byrd; Fiscal Year: 2006..CLL); Rituximab has moved into frontline CLL drug combinations, and Campath-1H has been approved for salvage therapy. Our group has been actively pursuing the pre-clinical and clinical development of a humanized HLA-DR beta-..
- Synthesis/Biological evaluation of Anti-HIV NucleosidesDavid Chu; Fiscal Year: 2005..Thus, Patients need additional drugs for salvage therapy. Previously, under the support of this grant we have discovered several clinical candidates for HIV (DAPD; ..
- ROLE OF MULTIDRUG RESISTANCE MUTATION IN HIV FITNESSPrem Sharma; Fiscal Year: 2002..through the proposed studies should help optimize protocols of specific drug combinations for clinical trials, based on drugs which select for viruses that are less fit and design a salvage therapy for multi-drug failure subjects.
- TECHNIQUES FOR CALCULATING TUMOR DOSIMETRY FROM IMAGINGKENNETH KORAL; Fiscal Year: 2003..Applications of the methods to other therapies and to imaging with other multi-gamma-emission radionuclides such as 111-In are also possible. ..
- Rapid Diagnosis of XDR TuberculosisDavid Alland; Fiscal Year: 2010..Early and rapid detection of XDR TB could be crucial to disease management by alerting physicians to use salvage therapy and to institute special infection control procedures...
- Focal HIFU Ablation of Prostate Cancer Using Advanced Ultrasound GuidanceNarendra T Sanghvi; Fiscal Year: 2010..3) developing methods to identify viable cancer regions in radiation-treated patients who require salvage therapy. The proposed RRI-FSI Partnership will include internationally respected clinical collaborators who are ..
- Community-based accompaniment with supervised antiretrovirals in Lima, PeruSonya S Shin; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will enroll individuals living in extreme poverty who are starting either first-line HAART or salvage therapy due to virologic failure. Those residing in intervention clusters will receive 12 months of DOT-HAART...
- Community-based accompaniment with supervised antiretrovirals in Lima, PeruSonya Shin; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will enroll individuals living in extreme poverty who are starting either first-line HAART or salvage therapy due to virologic failure. Those residing in intervention clusters will receive 12 months of DOT-HAART...
- Fitness of Enfuvirtide-(T-20)-Resistant HIV-1Daniel Kuritzkes; Fiscal Year: 2006..Results of these studies will provide a deeper understanding of the molecular, virologic, and clinical consequences ofT-20 resistance, and may help guide the use of T-20 in salvage therapy.
- DEVELOPMENT OF POLY-L-GLUTAMIC ACID PACLITAXEL CONJUGATESidney Wallace; Fiscal Year: 2005..A phase I clinical trial of CT-2103 as single agent salvage therapy for patients with advanced solid tumors demonstrated safety and tolerability in dose up to 266 mg equivalent ..
- Fitness of Enfuvirtide-(T-20)-Resistant HIV-1Daniel Kuritzkes; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results of these studies will provide a deeper understanding of the molecular, virologic, and clinical consequences ofT-20 resistance, and may help guide the use of T-20 in salvage therapy.
- Molecular Profiling to Predict Response to ChemotherapyJohnathan Lancaster; Fiscal Year: 2006..Prospectively collected ovarian samples will be arrayed and the clinical response to primary and salvage therapy observed...