Genomes and Genes
Summary: The pull on a limb or a part thereof. Skin traction (indirect traction) is applied by using a bandage to pull on the skin and fascia where light traction is required. Skeletal traction (direct traction), however, uses pins or wires inserted through bone and is attached to weights, pulleys, and ropes. (From Blauvelt & Nelson, A Manual of Orthopaedic Terminology, 5th ed)
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- In vivo biomechanics of the fingerpad skin under local tangential tractionQi Wang
Haptics Laboratory, Centre for Intelligent Machines, McGill University, 3480 University Street, Montreal, H3A 2A7, Canada
J Biomech 40:851-60. 2007..variability across subjects and it was seen that the glabrous skin exhibited nonlinear stiffening in tangential traction. The skin was consistently more elastic across the ridges than along the ridges regardless of the location of the ..
- Traction on the retina induced by saccadic eye movements in the presence of posterior vitreous detachmentR Repetto
Department of Civil, Environmental and Architectural Engineering, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Biomech Model Mechanobiol 10:191-202. 2011....
- The effect of cervical traction combined with conventional therapy on grip strength on patients with cervical radiculopathyMohammad Taghi Joghataei
Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran
Clin Rehabil 18:879-87. 2004To determine if combining intermittent cervical traction with conventional physical therapy methods is more effective than using conventional approaches alone in the improvement of the grip strength and treatment of the patients with ..
- Awake tracheal intubation through the intubating laryngeal mask airway in a patient with halo tractionElif Bengi Sener
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Ondokuz Mayis University, Faculty of Medicine, Samsun, Turkey
Can J Anaesth 49:610-3. 2002To report a case of awake tracheal intubation through the intubating laryngeal mask airway (ILMA) in a patient with halo traction.
- Transmission of growth cone traction force through apCAM-cytoskeletal linkages is regulated by Src family tyrosine kinase activityD M Suter
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Cell Biol 155:427-38. 2001..family tyrosine kinase activity controls apCAM-mediated growth cone steering by regulating the transmission of traction forces through receptor-cytoskeletal linkages...
- Cementless total hip arthroplasty for patients with Crowe type III or IV developmental dysplasia of the hip: two-stage total hip arthroplasty following skeletal traction after soft tissue release for irreducible hipsPil Whan Yoon
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Clin Orthop Surg 5:167-73. 2013..The purpose of this study is to evaluate the outcomes of cementless THA in patients with severe DDH with a special focus on the results of two-stage THA...
- Randomized trial comparing interferential therapy with motorized lumbar traction and massage in the management of low back pain in a primary care settingR Werners
Orthopaedic Primary Care Centre, Dinslaken, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1579-84. 1999STUDY DESIGN: A randomized trial designed to compare interferential therapy with motorized lumbar traction and massage management for low back pain in a primary care setting...
- High-resolution optical coherence tomography after surgery for vitreomacular traction: a 2-year follow-upRamzi G Sayegh
Department of Ophthalmology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Ophthalmology 117:2010-7, 2017.e1-2. 2010To characterize the morphologic changes in vitreomacular traction (VMT) before and after surgery using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SD OCT) and to identify patterns relevant to visual function.
- Basilar invagination: craniocervical instability treated with cervical traction and occipitocervical fixation. Case reportRicardo V Botelho
Spinal Group, Neurosurgical Service, Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Neurosurg Spine 7:444-9. 2007..in an adult, who was effectively treated with the easy and safe reduction of odontoid invagination via cervical traction. Normalization of kyphosis at the craniovertebral junction and the vertical position of both a previously ..
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of controlled cord traction to reduce postpartum blood lossFernando Althabe
Institute for Clinical Effectiveness and Health Policy, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 107:4-7. 2009To evaluate whether controlled cord traction (CCT) for management of the third stage of labor reduced postpartum blood loss compared with a "hands-off" management protocol.
- Manual physical therapy, cervical traction, and strengthening exercises in patients with cervical radiculopathy: a case seriesJoshua A Cleland
Department of Physical Therapy, Franklin Pierce College, 5 Chenell Drive, Concord, NH 03301, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 35:802-11. 2005..A case series of consecutive patients with cervical radiculopathy...
- Tracheal traction exercise reduces the occurrence of postoperative dysphagia after anterior cervical spine surgeryZhi Chen
Department of Orthopedics, Shanghai Changhai Hospital, Shanghai, China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 37:1292-6. 2012We designed a novel anterior cervical spine surgery preoperative treatment comprising mechanical trachea/esophagus traction and compared the postoperative outcome regarding dysphagia with nontreated patients.
- Caudal dexmedetomidine combined with bupivacaine inhibit the response to hernial sac traction in children undergoing inguinal hernia repairQ Xiang
Department of Anesthesiology, Wuhan Children s Hospital, Tongji Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan, China
Br J Anaesth 110:420-4. 2013..widely used for inguinal hernia repair in children, but often cannot totally eliminate responses to hernial sac traction. The current study examined whether supplementation of caudal bupivacaine with dexmedetomidine could achieve ..
- Current concepts in vitreomacular traction syndromeJuliana M Bottós
Department of Ophthalmology, Federal University of Sao Paulo, UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Curr Opin Ophthalmol 23:195-201. 2012As Reese first described the vitreomacular traction (VMT) syndrome in 1970, the knowledge base about the disease has been changing over time due to the advent of the high-definition optical coherence tomography (HD-OCT)...
- Natural course of myopic traction maculopathy and factors associated with progression or resolutionNoriaki Shimada
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Ophthalmol 156:948-957.e1. 2013To investigate the natural course of myopic traction maculopathy and to identify the factors associated with its progression or resolution in 207 highly myopic eyes.
- Improved throughput traction microscopy reveals pivotal role for matrix stiffness in fibroblast contractility and TGF-β responsivenessAleksandar Marinkovic
Molecular and Integrative Physiological Sciences, Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 303:L169-80. 2012..However, the study of fibroblast force-generating capacities through methods such as traction force microscopy is hindered by low throughput and time-consuming procedures...
- Spontaneous resolution of vitreomacular traction demonstrated by spectral-domain optical coherence tomographyGeorge P Theodossiadis
2nd Department of Ophthalmology, Henry Dunant Hospital, Athens, Greece Electronic address
Am J Ophthalmol 157:842-851.e1. 2014To evaluate the natural course of idiopathic vitreomacular traction (VMT) with spectral-domain optical coherence tomography (SDOCT) from the vitreomacular adhesion (VMA) stage to the spontaneous resolution of VMT.
- Closed reduction of colles fractures: comparison of manual manipulation and finger-trap traction: a prospective, randomized studyS A Earnshaw
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, United Kingdom
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:354-8. 2002..It has been suggested that the use of finger-trap traction results in a better reduction and a lower rate of redisplacement than manual manipulation does, but to our ..
- Vertical instability in spondylolisthesis: a traction radiographic assessment technique and the principle of managementKeith D K Luk
Duchess of Kent Children s Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong hrmoldk hkucc hku hk
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:819-27. 2003..These radiographs were taken in the neutral, flexion, and extension positions for both erect and recumbent postures, and also in the prone and supine positions with traction applied via a traction table.
- Early results after treatment of open abdomen after aortic surgery with mesh traction and vacuum-assisted wound closureA Seternes
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 40:60-4. 2010This study aimed to describe the use of vacuum-assisted wound closure (VAWC) and mesh traction to repair an open abdomen after aortic surgery.
- Percutaneous transhepatic release of an impacted lithotripter basket and its fractured traction wire using a goose-neck snare: a case reportJae Hyun Kwon
Division of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Dongguk University Ilsan Hospital, Dongguk University, Gyeonggi do 410 773, Korea
Korean J Radiol 12:247-51. 2011In a patient with a distal common bile duct stone, a fracture of the traction wire of the basket occurring during the performance of mechanical lithotripsy resulted in the impaction of the lithotripter basket with a stone...
- Traction table-related complications in orthopaedic surgeryMichael A Flierl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, CO, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 18:668-75. 2010b>Traction tables are used in numerous procedures about the hip and femur, including fracture fixation, hip arthroscopy, and less invasive arthroplasty...
- A retrospective comparative study of traction therapy vs. no traction following tunica albuginea plication or partial excision and grafting for Peyronie's disease: measured lengths and patient perceptionsJames Rybak
Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Sex Med 9:2396-403. 2012Loss of penile length is a recognized and common consequence of Peyronie's disease (PD). Traction therapy (TT+) has been reported to decrease post-op length loss as well as increase stretched penile length (SPL) prior to surgery.
- Transvaginal endoscopic cholecystectomy using a simple magnetic traction systemYong Beom Cho
Department of Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, Korea
Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 20:174-8. 2011..We thus performed transvaginal endoscopic cholecystectomies to determine the feasibility of using a magnetic traction system. Experiments were performed in a non-survival porcine model (n = 4)...
- The efficacy of intermittent cervical traction in patents with chronic neck painPinar Borman
Numune Training and Research Hospital, Clinic of PMR, Cebeci Ankara, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 27:1249-53. 2008Previous studies about the usefulness of traction therapy have concluded with conflicting results. The aim of this study was to examine its efficacy in chronic neck pain...
- Traction versus supine side bending. Which technique best determines curve flexibility?D W Polly
Orthopaedic Surgery Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:804-8. 1998A prospective study performed in two institutions where patients scheduled for surgical management of scoliosis were evaluated with traction and supine side bending radiographs to determine curve flexibility.
- Effects of traction, distension, and joint position on distraction of the hip joint: an experimental study in cadaversMichael Dienst
Department for Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Arthroscopy 18:865-71. 2002To quantify the effects of traction alone and in combination with distension of air in different joint positions in order to find out the conditions for adequate distraction of the hip joint with minimal traction force.
- [High-resolution optical coherence tomography to evaluate vitreomacular traction before and after membrane peeling]M Georgopoulos
Universitätsklinik für Augenheilkunde und Optometrie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090, Wien, Osterreich
Ophthalmologe 105:753-60. 2008....
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection with sheath-assisted counter traction for early gastric cancersYasutaka Hijikata
Department of Gastroenterology, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Yazako, Nagakute cho, Japan
Dig Endosc 22:124-8. 2010..Thus, non-invasive tools and methods are needed to facilitate direct visualization of the submucosal layer during ESD...
- Staged esophageal lengthening with internal and subsequent external traction sutures leads to primary repair of an ultralong gap esophageal atresia with upper pouch tracheoesophagel fistulaHolger Till
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of Leipzig, Women s and Children s Hospital, 04317 Leipzig, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 43:E33-5. 2008..In contrast, J. Foker described a technique of lengthening the pouches with traction sutures and making primary repair possible...
- The value of intermittent cervical traction in recent cervical radiculopathyA Jellad
Service de médecine physique et réadaptation, CHU F Bourguiba, Monastir, Tunisia
Ann Phys Rehabil Med 52:638-52. 2009Our objective is to assess the effect of mechanical and manual intermittent cervical traction on pain, use of analgesics and disability during the recent cervical radiculopathy (CR).
- James traction splinting for PIP fracturesSarah B Goldman
Medical Service Corps, United States Navy, Naval Medical Education and Training Command, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Hand Ther 21:209-15. 2008..These types of invasive treatments are insulting of soft tissue and often create significant secondary problems. These authors have designed a splint that attempts to optimize outcomes following fracture and surgical treatment...
- Effectiveness of conservative treatments for the lumbosacral radicular syndrome: a systematic reviewPim A J Luijsterburg
Erasmus MC, General Practice, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 16:881-99. 2007..Thirty trials were included that evaluated injections, traction, physical therapy, bed rest, manipulation, medication, and acupuncture as treatment for the lumbosacral radicular ..
- Cost-effectiveness of replacing skeletal traction by interlocked intramedullary nailing for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in CambodiaRichard A Gosselin
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Int Orthop 33:1445-8. 2009..system for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in Cambodia are compared to those of Perkin's traction treatment. At an average cost per patient of $1,107 in the traction group and $888 in the nail group (p < 0...
- Perkins traction for adult femoral shaft fractures: a report on 53 patients in Sierra LeoneRichard Gosselin
School of Public Health, Berkeley University, El Granada, CA 94018 1983, USA
Int Orthop 31:697-702. 2007A retrospective study of 53 consecutive adult patients with 54 femoral shaft fractures treated with Perkins traction over a 25-month period was carried out. Mean length of stay was 52...
- Transplanted neural stem cells promote nerve regeneration in acute peripheral nerve traction injury: assessment using MRILi Na Cheng
Department of Radiology, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, No 107 Yanjiang Rd West, Guangzhou 510120, Guangdong, China
AJR Am J Roentgenol 196:1381-7. 2011The purpose of our study was to monitor neural stem cells (NSCs) transplanted in acute peripheral nerve traction injury and to use MRI to assess the ability of NSCs to promote nerve regeneration.
- Separation of propulsive and adhesive traction stresses in locomoting keratocytesT Oliver
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0300, USA
J Cell Biol 145:589-604. 1999Strong, actomyosin-dependent, pinching tractions in steadily locomoting (gliding) fish keratocytes revealed by traction imaging present a paradox, since only forces perpendicular to the direction of locomotion are apparent, leaving the ..
- Comparison of titanium elastic nails with traction and a spica cast to treat femoral fractures in childrenJohn M Flynn
Division of Orthopaedics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:770-7. 2004..there have been few studies assessing the risks and benefits of this procedure compared with those of traditional traction and application of a spica cast...
- Femoral intramedullary nailing: comparison of fracture-table and manual traction. a prospective, randomized studyDavid J G Stephen
University of Toronto Orthopaedic Trauma Research Group, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1514-21. 2002The purpose of this study was to compare manual traction and fracture-table traction for the reduction and nailing of femoral shaft fractures...
- A randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of mechanical traction for sub-groups of patients with low back pain: study methods and rationaleJulie M Fritz
Rehabilitation Agency, Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:81. 2010..We conducted a preliminary study examining the effectiveness of a treatment protocol of mechanical traction with extension-oriented activities for patients with low back pain and signs of nerve root irritation...
- Traction therapy for men with shortened penis prior to penile prosthesis implantation: a pilot studyLaurence A Levine
Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Sex Med 8:2112-7. 2011..Loss of penile length after penile prosthesis implantation is one of the most common complaints. There is no recognized reliable technique to gain length once the device is placed...
- Lateral and posterior pillar grade changes during the treatment of Perthes disease in older patients using skin traction and range of motion exercisesYoshihisa Sugimoto
Okayama University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:101-4. 2006..was to review radiological changes in LP grade in older patients with Perthes disease during 20 months of treatment with skin traction and ROM exercises. We have also reported any grade changes in the posterior pillar (PP) classification.
- Observations at the craniocervical junction with simultaneous caudal traction of the spinal cordR Shane Tubbs
Department of Cell Biology, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Childs Nerv Syst 23:367-9. 2007Some have opined that caudal traction of the spinal cord may result in caudal descent of the hindbrain.
- Efficacy of traction for nonspecific low back pain. 12-week and 6-month results of a randomized clinical trialA J Beurskens
Department of Epidemiology, Maastricht University, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2756-62. 1997..A randomized clinical trial...
- Traction splints: effective nonsurgical way of managing proximal phalanx fracturesAshok Raj Koul
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical Trust Hospital, Cochin, India
J Trauma 66:1641-6. 2009..Treating proximal phalanx fracture without compromising the mobility is difficult...
- Articular cartilage evaluation in osteoarthritis of the hip with MR imaging under continuous leg tractionT Nishii
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Magn Reson Imaging 16:871-5. 1998..and 10 hips of normal volunteers by a fat-suppressed three-dimensional (3D) pulse sequence using a continuous leg traction method, and correlated the results with radiographic assessment...
- Pulmonary embolism after shoulder arthroscopy: could patient positioning and traction make a difference?Zenia E Cortes
Foundation for Orthopaedic, Athletic, and Reconstructive Research, Department of Orthopaedics, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 16:e16-7. 2007
- Neer Award 2007: Reversion of structural muscle changes caused by chronic rotator cuff tears using continuous musculotendinous traction. An experimental study in sheepChristian Gerber
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 18:163-71. 2009..It was the purpose of this experiment to test the hypothesis that slow, continuous elongation of a retracted musculotendinous unit allows reversal of the currently irreversible structural muscle changes...
- Magnetic resonance evaluation of the intervertebral disc, spinal ligaments, and spinal cord before and after closed traction reduction of cervical spine dislocationsA R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1210-7. 1999..the incidence of intervertebral disc herniations and injury to the spinal ligaments before and after awake closed traction reduction of cervical spine dislocations...
- Femoral shaft fractures in children: traction and casting versus elastic stable intramedullary nailingKarl E Buechsenschuetz
Big Sky Orthopaedic Specialists, Missoula, Montana, USA
J Trauma 53:914-21. 2002Treatment of pediatric femoral fractures by 90/90 traction and spica casting (TXN/CST) has begun to be replaced by elastic stable intramedullary nailing (ESIN)...
- Old principles revisited--traction splinting for closed proximal phalangeal fracturesA L Collins
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford, Ireland
Injury 33:235-7. 2002..We describe 15 patients treated with an alternative method of skin traction and splintage in our regional trauma centre...
- Artefacts produced by suture traction during incisional biopsy of oral lesionsJ Seoane
Stomatology Department, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 27:549-53. 2002..ascribed to the technique of incisional biopsy using a punch or scalpel and the influence of suture use for traction and delivery of the specimen...
- Conservative management of third trimester cervical spinal cord injury using Gardner-Wells tongs tractionA O Malomo
Neurological Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, PMB 5116, Ibadan, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 8:46-50. 2005..30 per 90 patients per year, or 0.33%. We report here, the conservative management of one of these pregnant patients using the Gardner-Wells' tongs traction, resulting in normal parturition and full neurological recovery.
- The pins and rubbers traction system for treatment of comminuted intraarticular fractures and fracture-dislocations in the handY Suzuki
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Gifu Prefectural Gifu Hospital, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 19:98-107. 1994The authors have developed a new skeletal traction system for comminuted intraarticular fractures and fracture-dislocations in the hand. The system consists of two or three Kirschner wires and rubber bands, and is easy to assemble...
- Immediate closed reduction of cervical spine dislocations using tractionA M Star
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 15:1068-72. 1990Cervical facet dislocations may be reduced rapidly and effectively using axial traction with weights applied at over the traditional 45-pound limit. Fifty-three sequential patients with cervical facet dislocations were reviewed...
- The efficacy of lumbar traction in the management of patients with low back painPinar Borman
Clinic of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 23:82-6. 2003The literature on the efficacy of traction in the treatment of low back pain (LBP) is conflicting. The aim of this study was to examine its efficacy in this disorder...
- Tongue traction is as effective as jaw lift maneuver for Trachlight-guided orotracheal intubationGoneppanavar Umesh
Department of Anaesthesiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka State, India
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 48:130-5. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the jaw lift maneuver with another potentially useful maneuver, tongue traction, for facilitating Trachlight-guided orotracheal intubation.
- How to avoid and manage nerve injuries associated with aortic surgery: ischemic neuropathy, traction injuries, and sexual derangementsM J Dougherty
Section of Vascular Surgery, Pennsylvania Hospital, 700 Spruce St, Suite 101, Philadelphia, PA 19106, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 14:275-81. 2001..Injury to the periaortic autonomic plexi frequently results in ejaculatory and erectile dysfunction. Traction injuries to lumbosacral nerve roots can cause peripheral nerve injury, most commonly exhibited as a femoral nerve ..
- Traction removal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy devices in childrenRamesh Srinivasan
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Eaton Road, Liverpool, L12 2AP, UK
Dig Dis Sci 55:2874-7. 2010..There are few published data on non-endoscopic removal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy devices in children...
- A novel skin-traction method is effective for real-time ultrasound-guided internal jugular vein catheterization in infants and neonates weighing less than 5 kilogramsMasato Morita
Department of Anesthesiology and Medical Crisis Management, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya City, Aichi, Japan
Anesth Analg 109:754-9. 2009..To facilitate IJV catheterization, we developed a novel skin-traction method (STM), in which the point of puncture of the skin over the IJV is stretched upward with tape during ..
- How do physicians and midwives manage the third stage of labor?Weiping M Tan
Private Practice, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Birth 35:220-9. 2008..Current practice guidelines recommend active management of the third stage of labor. We compared practices of three maternity care provider disciplines in management of third-stage labor and the justifications for their approach...
- Caudal anesthesia in children: effect of volume versus concentration of bupivacaine on blocking spermatic cord traction response during orchidopexySusan T Verghese
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1219-23, table of contents. 2002..in inspired halothane concentration to block hemodynamic and/or ventilatory response during spermatic cord traction, as compared with 8 patients (29.6%) in Group 2 (P = 0.022). In the recovery room, four (17...
- Computed tomographic investigation of the effect of traction on lumbar disc herniationsD Onel
Department of Physical Medicine, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:82-90. 1989The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of static horizontal traction on disc herniations by computed tomographic investigation...
- Dynamic traction and passive mobilization for the rehabilitation of zone II flexor tendon injuries: a modified regimeS C Chai
Occupational Therapy Unit, Sibu Hospital, Sibu, Sarawak
Med J Malaysia 60:59-65. 2005..January to December 2003, 8 patients with 15 injured digits were treated by using the combined method of dynamic traction and passive mobilization. According to Strickland's criteria, 14 (93...
- Treatment of 94 outpatients with chronic discogenic low back pain with the DRX9000: a retrospective chart reviewAlex Macario
Department of Anesthesia and Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5640, USA
Pain Pract 8:11-7. 2008..s.a.)...
- Management of grade III supracondylar fracture of the humerus by straight-arm lateral tractionM Z Sadiq
Milton Keynes General Hospital, Buckinghamshire, UK
Int Orthop 31:155-8. 2007..and distorted local anatomy in all these fractures, which were managed conservatively with straight-arm lateral traction. The patients were treated in skin traction for 2 weeks, following which they commenced physiotherapy...
- Traction for low back pain with or without sciatica: an updated systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane collaborationJudy Clarke
Institute for Work and Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1591-9. 2006..Systematic review...
- The efficacy of traction for back pain: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsAnnette A Harte
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1542-53. 2003To assess the efficacy of traction for patients with low back pain (LBP) with or without radiating pain, taking into account the clinical technique or parameters used.
- Posterior only pedicle screw instrumentation with intraoperative halo-femoral traction in the surgical treatment of severe scoliosis (>100 degrees)Azmi Hamzaoglu
Istanbul Bilim University, Florence Nigthingale Hospital, Istanbul Spine Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:979-83. 2008..Retrospective clinical study...
- Use of suspension traction system for renal positioning during laparoscopic partial nephrectomyGary W Chien
Section of Urology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Endourol 19:406-9. 2005..We present a renal-suspension traction system to place the tumor in stable optimal view during the critical steps of LPN.
- Magnetic retraction in natural-orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES): addressing the problem of traction and countertractionM Ryou
Division of Gastroenterology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endoscopy 41:143-8. 2009..We aimed to assess the use of internal and external magnets that might allow the vigorous multiaxial traction/countertraction required in more complicated NOTES procedures.
- Comparison of the use of supine bending and traction radiographs in the selection of the fusion area in adolescent idiopathic scoliosisJ J Vaughan
Kentucky Spine Institute, Lexington, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2469-73. 1996STUDY DESIGN: A study was done to evaluate the use of voluntary supine side bending radiographs and Risser table traction radiographs in adolescent patients undergoing posterior spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis...
- Spinal deformity and axial tractionK Kumar
Department of Orthopaedics, Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Maharashtra, India
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:653-5. 1996Axial traction to correct spinal deformity is a very old concept...
- Mandibular traction--an alternative treatment in infants with Pierre Robin sequenceWinnie Pradel
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:2232-7. 2009..However, surgical interventions can result in complications. In our institution, mandibular traction is the standard treatment in cases of severe respiratory distress.
- Electrophysiological analysis of pudendal neuropathy following tractionG Amarenco
Department of Neurologic Rehabilitation and Perineal Electrophysiologic Explorations, Rothschild Hospital, 33 boulevard de Picpus, 75012 Paris, France
Muscle Nerve 24:116-9. 2001Pudendal neuropathy is an unusual but important complication of orthopedic surgical procedures involving traction on the fracture table...
- The effects of weightbath traction hydrotherapy as a component of complex physical therapy in disorders of the cervical and lumbar spine: a controlled pilot study with follow-upMihály Oláh
Hungarospa Hajdúszoboszló Health Resort and Tourism Inc, Hajdúszoboszló, Hungary
Rheumatol Int 28:749-56. 2008..modalities available for the conservative management of chronic cervical and lumbar pain include underwater traction, the usefulness of which is not universally acknowledged...
- Traction-compression-closure for exomphalos majorAntonino Morabito
Neonatal Surgical Unit, St Mary s Women and Children s Hospital, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
J Pediatr Surg 41:1850-3. 2006We present our experience with traction-compression-closure (TCC) for exomphalos major (EM) to achieve a safe and embryologically correct midline supraumbilical aesthetic closure with preservation of the umbilicus.
- Hip arthroscopy without traction: In vivo anatomy of the peripheral hip joint cavityM Dienst
Department for Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Arthroscopy 17:924-31. 2001To describe the in vivo anatomy of the peripheral compartment of the hip joint using a systematic sequence of examination without traction.
- Is there a subgroup of patients with low back pain likely to benefit from mechanical traction? Results of a randomized clinical trial and subgrouping analysisJulie M Fritz
Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E793-800. 2007..Randomized Clinical Trial...
- Evidence-informed management of chronic low back pain with traction therapyRalph E Gay
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Spine J 8:234-42. 2008..It is hoped that articles in this special focus issue will be informative and aid in decision making for the many stakeholders evaluating nonsurgical interventions for CLBP...
- Current use of lumbar traction in the management of low back pain: results of a survey of physiotherapists in the United KingdomAnnette Agnes Harte
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland, BT37 0QB
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1164-9. 2005To identify the current use of traction and the types of patients, treatment parameters, and treatment modalities used in conjunction with traction.
- Femoral head resection for painful hip subluxation in cerebral palsy: Is valgus osteotomy in conjunction with femoral head resection preferable to proximal femoral head resection and traction?Arabella I Leet
Johns Hopkins Hospital and Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:70-3. 2005Patients with severe cerebral palsy who underwent either a femoral head resection with traction or a McHale procedure (femoral head resection and valgus osteotomy) were studied retrospectively and then contacted by telephone to assess ..
- Systematic literature review of spinal decompression via motorized traction for chronic discogenic low back painAlex Macario
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medcine, Stanford, California 94305 5640, USA
Pain Pract 6:171-8. 2006The objective of this study was to systematically review the literature to assess the efficacy of nonsurgical spinal decompression achieved with motorized traction for chronic discogenic lumbosacral back pain.
- A model for internal derangement and osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint with experimental traction of the mandibular ramus in rabbitH Imai
The Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Oral Dis 7:185-91. 2001..The purpose of this study is to make a model of internal derangement (ID) and osteoarthritis (OA) by postero-superior displacement of the mandible in the rabbit temporomandibular joint (TMJ)...
- No effect of traction in patients with low back pain: a single centre, single blind, randomized controlled trial of Intervertebral Differential Dynamics TherapyJanneke J P Schimmel
Department of Research Development and Education, Sint Maartenskliniek, PO Box 9011, 6500 GM, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 18:1843-50. 2009..Reg U.S.). IDD Therapy consists of intermittent traction sessions in the Accu-SPINA device (Steadfast Corporation Ltd, Essex, UK), an FDA approved, class II medical ..
- Effects of traction on structural properties of degenerated disc using an in vivo rat-tail modelAlon Lai
Department of Health Technology and Informatics, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong SAR, People s Republic of China
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35:1339-45. 2010An in vivo rat-tail model was adopted to study the structural changes of degenerated intervertebral disc after different traction protocols.
- The effect of arm traction on the adequacy of cross-table lateral cervical spine radiographsChristopher T Bowe
Department of Surgery, University of Vermont School of Medicine, Burlington, Vermont, USA
J Trauma 55:800-1. 2003
- Lower extremity traction pins: indications, technique, and complicationsPeter L Althausen
Department of Orthopedics, University of California Davis, Sacramento, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 31:43-7. 2002The placement of pins in the lower extremity for the purpose of skeletal traction is a basic skill required by an orthopedic surgeon. These pins are primarily used for the management of fractures and dislocations...
- CT imaging techniques for describing motions of the cervicothoracic junction and cervical spine during flexion, extension, and cervical tractionScott Simon
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:44-50. 2006Computerized tomographic study of human cadavers undergoing traction and flexion-extension bending.
- A prospective randomized controlled study of VAX-D and TENS for the treatment of chronic low back painE Sherry
Sydney University, NSW, Australia
Neurol Res 23:780-4. 2001..4% (p < 0.001). A statistically significant reduction in pain and improvement in functional outcome was obtained in patients with chronic low back pain treated with VAX-D...
- Treatment of extensive bone and soft tissue defects of the lower limb by traction and free-flap transferD Smrke
Laboratory for Biomedical Engineering at the Department of Surgery, University Medical Centre, Zaloska 7, SI 1000, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Injury 31:153-62. 2000..Bone defects were managed with the Ilizarov intercalary bone transport. Two types of traction were used: the Ilizarov type and a 'new' Ljubljana type...
- Perioperative halo-gravity traction in the treatment of severe scoliosis and kyphosisAnthony Rinella
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:475-82. 2005A retrospective analysis of patients that underwent perioperative halo-gravity traction as an adjunct to modern instrumentation methods in the treatment of severe scoliosis and kyphosis.
- Treatment options in pediatric femoral shaft fracturesJeffrey O Anglen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:724-33. 2005..Plate fixation is stable and addresses the entire length of the femur. Soft tissue concerns due to surgical exposure can be minimized by the use of submuscular placement technique...
- Closed reduction of traumatic cervical spine dislocation using traction weights up to 140 poundsJ M Cotler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:386-90. 1993The purpose of this study was to demonstrate that Gardner-Wells skull tong traction up to 140 lb was both safe and effective in reducing dislocation, without fractures, of facet joints involving the C4-C7 vertebral bodies when applied by ..
- [Observation on therapeutic effect of electroacupuncture under continuous traction for treatment of lumbar disc herniation]Wen Chen
Department of TCM, Hubei Higher Training School of TCM, Jingzhou 434020, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 29:967-9. 2009To observe the clinical effect of electroacupuncture under continuous traction in prone position for treatment of lumbar disc herniation, to search a better clinical treatment for lumbar disc herniation.
- Interventions that increase or decrease the likelihood of a meaningful improvement in physical health in patients with sciaticaDianne V Jewell
Department of Physical Therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Richmond, VA 23298 0224, USA
Phys Ther 85:1139-50. 2005..The purpose of our study was to determine whether physical therapy interventions predicted meaningful short-term improvement in physical health for patients diagnosed with sciatica...
- [Long-term results after conservative treatment of pediatric femoral shaft fractures]M Fuchs
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Plastische und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Gottingen
Orthopade 32:1136-42. 2003..Traditionally, these fractures have been treated conservatively with skeletal traction. More frequent consideration is being given to the psychological and economical outcome...
- Effectiveness of spinal release and halo-femoral traction in the management of severe spinal deformityCharles T Mehlman
Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229 3039, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 24:667-73. 2004The purpose of this retrospective review was to assess the effectiveness of spinal release and halo-femoral traction in the management of severe spinal deformity. Twenty-four patients had halo-femoral traction and a spinal release...
- Operative treatment of severe scoliosis in osteogenesis imperfecta: results of 20 patients after halo traction and posterior spondylodesis with instrumentationG J Janus
Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 9:486-91. 2000..The charts of 20 patients with osteogenesis imperfecta who had undergone halo gravity traction (HGT) and a posterior spondylodesis with Cotrel-Dubousset (n = 18) or Harrington (n = 2) instrumentation were ..
- The treatment of femoral shaft fractures in children: a systematic overview and critical appraisal of the literatureJ G Wright
Department of Surgery and Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Ont
Can J Surg 43:180-9. 2000..Through a critical systematic overview of the literature on the treatment of pediatric femoral shaft fractures to determine if any method of treatment can be recommended over others...
- Prediction of acetabular development after closed reduction by overhead traction in developmental dysplasia of the hipHiroshi Kitoh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Nagoya University School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai Cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, 466 8550, Japan
J Orthop Sci 11:473-7. 2006..The objective of this study was to find early and reliable predictors of future acetabular dysplasia in the hips reduced by overhead traction (OHT).
- Structure and function of stress fibers and cell adhesion sitesMary C Beckerle; Fiscal Year: 2013..transdisciplinary approach that incorporates genetic models, biochemistry, quantitative fluorescence imaging, and traction force microscopy to probe the mechanism and physiological impact of the actin repair machinery...
- Neutrophil Migration in Three DimensionsJonathan S Reichner; Fiscal Year: 2013..Indeed, neutrophil adhesion, production of traction forces and migration were significantly different on fibronectin-coated matricies that varied only in stiffnes...
- Design and Implementation of Genetically Encoded Myosin Based Force SensorsDANIEL PETER KIEHART; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will evaluate their ability a) to localize with endogenous myosin;b) to sense tension, using force traction microscopy on flexible substrates;and c) to respond to acute changes in tension induced by drugs or laser surgery...
- The biomechanics of morphogenesis in the frogLance A Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposal is to understand the physical mechanisms by which actomyosin dynamics drive cell shape changes, generate traction forces, establish passive tissue properties such as stiffness, active force production by convergence and ..
- Quantitative Analysis of Chemotactic Motility Cycle of Ameboid CellsJUAN CARLOS LASHERAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..result of the sequential repetition of pseudopod protrusions and retractions and is driven by the generation of traction forces...
- Invasion of glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) cells in organotypic brain slicesZEV ARI BINDER; Fiscal Year: 2013..activity and dynamics, intercellular distance (time-dependent tumor cell density in the slice), and cell-induced traction forces on their surrounding microenvironment...
- Autophagy and control of photoreceptor apoptosisDavid N Zacks; Fiscal Year: 2013..detachment) or as a result of other disease processes such as ocular trauma, inflammation, diabetes (due to traction on the retina) or neovascular age-related macular degeneration (due to exudation of fluid from the neovascular ..
- Rho-mediated Signaling in Lung Endothelial Cells Induced by Neutrophil AdhesionKLAUS MICHAEL HAHN; Fiscal Year: 2013..These adhesive interactions provide attachment and allow neutrophils to generate traction on the endothelial surface, so that they can migrate over it as they probe for endothelial junctions or other ..
- Errorless Learning and Social Cognition Training for Work RehabilitationRobert S Kern; Fiscal Year: 2012..To gain traction on this problem, it will likely be necessary to find treatments that address key determinants of work outcome...
- Nrf2 as a critical determinant of smooth muscle functionSteven S An; Fiscal Year: 2013..changes in ASM stiffness using Magnetic Twisting Cytometry (MTC), contractile force using Fourier Transform Traction Microscopy (FTTM), and discrete molecular-level remodeling dynamics of the cytoskeleton using Spontaneous ..
- A protease-deficient, low mutation rate E. coli for biotherapeutics productionFrederick R Blattner; Fiscal Year: 2013..economical bacterial bioprocessing becomes even more important as products such as single chain antibodies gain traction as inexpensive alternatives to monoclonal antibody therapeutics, which are the most expensive of all drugs...
- Molecular basis of age-dependent changes in airway smooth muscle functionsDeepak A Deshpande; Fiscal Year: 2013..cells from three distinct age groups, using novel tools such as myograph, optical magnetic twisting cytometry and traction microscopy...
- A Multiyear Grant to Support the Diagnostic Error in Medicine (DEM) Annual ConferDavid E Newman-Toker; Fiscal Year: 2012..error but is not a professional society, the current application is designed to help the conference "gain traction" over the next 3 years and achieve several important goals: (1) to strengthen the ongoing partnership with SMDM, ..
- Enhancing the Effectiveness of Physical Therapy in People with Knee OAG Kelley Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2013..that manual therapy (MT), manually applied treatment techniques such as joint mobilization/manipulation, manual traction, soft tissue manipulations, and passive stretching, when combined with ET, may improve the overall effectiveness ..
- Cell Mechanical Aspects of the Acute Respiratory Distress SyndromeCHARLES COREY HARDIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..already invented in our lab to discover the surprising physical properties of the cell including cellular traction forces (Fourier Transform Traction Microscopy or FTTC[9, 10]) and cytoskeletal mechanics (Optical Magnetic ..
- Cell-Cell and Cell-Matrix Interactions in MorphogenesisDouglas W DeSimone; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Traction force microscopy (TFM) and paramagnetic bead-pull experiments will be used to define cell-cell adhesive forces ..
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2013..an intro, including magnetic twisting cytometry (MTC), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and a unique embodiment of traction force microscopy called cell mapping rheometry...
- Calpains and Mechanical ForcesKaren A Beningo; Fiscal Year: 2010..system because they localize to and proteolyze focal adhesion proteins and interfere with the production of traction forces (inside out forces) and the sensing of external mechanical forces (outside-in)...
- Using micropost arrays to measure traction forces during dendritic cell motilityDaniel A Hammer; Fiscal Year: 2013..with microfluidic gradient chambers, to apply a time- invariant chemokine gradient to cells, and measure the traction forces exerted by DCs during migration...
- Investigating Methylation Patterns Associated with Alcohol Use and AddictionShaunna L Clark; Fiscal Year: 2013..A rodent study will complement the human work and will help gain traction on the issue of whether methylation sites associated with drinking behaviors and addiction can be used as ..
- Synovial Cadherin in Rheumatoid ArthritisMichael B Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2012..New adhesion molecule contacts form to provide attachment and traction for movement. We show how cadherin-11 participates in and regulates these steps in cell migration...
- Syndecan-1 in Lung RepairPeter Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..3 will determine how syndecan-1 effects on a2[unreadable]1 integrin afinity regulates focal adhesion dynamics and traction forces in migrating cells...
- Family Size and Children's Education in BrazilLeticia J Marteleto; Fiscal Year: 2013..methodological concerns about the joint determination of education and family size that have recently gained traction in the literature...
- Improving Mitral Compensation in Ischemic RegurgitationRobert A Levine; Fiscal Year: 2013..In that model, mechanical tethering induced by papillary muscle traction short of producing MR increases MV area and thickness over two months with reactivated endothelial-mesenchymal ..
- Development of a BBB Model to Study Transendothelial Cell MigrationDamir Janigro; Fiscal Year: 2013..Controlled traction was applied to the end of the fibers and scanning electron microscopy showed enlarged pores within the stretched ..
- Protein Secretion and Intracellular Survival by ToxoplasmaL David Sibley; Fiscal Year: 2013..secretion of micronemal proteins, which bind to specific receptors on the host cell or substratum, thus providing traction. The cytoplasmic domains of micronemal proteins link to the motor complex within the parasite, thus bridging ..
- Mechanisms of Integrin-Microtubule Cross-talkGregg G Gundersen; Fiscal Year: 2010..leading edge during cell migration and hi establishing adhesive sites through integrin receptors to provide the traction necessary for cell migration...
- Cell Migration ConsortiumAlan F Horwitz; Fiscal Year: 2010..signaling), Imaging and Photomanipulation (development and application of photoactivation, photoinactivation, traction force assays, and correlation microscopy), Modeling (develop mathematical models of cell migration), and a Data ..
- Force Sensing with NanotubesFred A Pereira; Fiscal Year: 2012..characterized, we lack experimental evidence to quantify forces that contribute to migration, including adhesive traction, resistive viscous drag, and protrusive forces...
- Multimodal Imaging of Executive and Reward Networks Across the Psychosis SpectrumKATHERINE HELEN KARLSGODT; Fiscal Year: 2013..o decision making that are affected in individuals with different symptom profiles, that may provide important traction on how to uniquely tailor cognitive remediation approaches...
- Cognitive Rehabilitation and Work Outcome in SchizophreniaRobert S Kern; Fiscal Year: 2012..To gain traction on this problem, it will likely be necessary to find treatments that address the key determinants of functional ..
- Spatiotemporal Coordination of Formin and Arp2/3 in Epithelial Cell MigrationKwonmoo Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Finally, I propose to establish relationships between the protrusion force output and the coordination between formin and Arp2/3 activities using high-resolution traction force microscopy.
- Handcycle Attachment for Pushrim Manual WheelchairsBART KYLSTRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..In Phase I, maneuverability, stability, traction, reliability, weight, cost, and attachment feasibility were successfully demonstrated...
- Integrated System for Mechanoelectrical Studies of Cardiac MyofibroblastsLeslie Tung; Fiscal Year: 2012..by applicant): In diverse cell types such as muscle, fibroblasts and bone, the cells can generate contractile or traction forces while being responsive to electrophysiological and mechanical signals...
- Health &wellbeing of sexually abused females &offspring: 25 and 27 yr. followupPenelope K Trickett; Fiscal Year: 2013..Doing so will (1) bolster causal inference and provide the necessary traction to orient policy toward early and sustained intervention, and (2) illuminate empirically based treatment ..
- Chronic hypoxia and pH homeostasis in pulmonary myocytesLarissa A Shimoda; Fiscal Year: 2013..knockdown and overexpression approaches, co-immunoprecipitation, migration and proliferation assays and traction microscopy in PASMCs to determine whether: 1) CH alters NHERF1 and ezrin expression, localization and/or ..
- A 4D Traction Force Microscope for the mapping of cellular mechanical stressesMingming Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, there is no method currently available to measure cellular traction forces exerted during adhesion and migration in 3-D scaffolds...
- Calcium store-induced intrinsic plasticity in the hippocampusDaniel Johnston; Fiscal Year: 2013..A prominent hypothesis that has gained traction over the past two decades is that intrinsic plasticity of voltage-gated ion channels (VGICs) along with the well- ..
- Neural Phenotypes for Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderTyrone D Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2010..To gain traction on these issues, we propose to investigate the inheritance of neural dysfunctions in schizophrenia and bipolar ..
- Developmental Cognitive NeuroscienceJohn Gabrieli; Fiscal Year: 2013..g.,of inductive inference) that are for the first time providing real traction on many longstanding problems in cognitive development;this work involves collaborations with faculty in the ..
- Contribution of Multisensory Stimuli on Entorhinal Circuit Dynamics and the MentaASHLEY LINDA KEES; Fiscal Year: 2013..Understanding the circuitry in the healthy brain will provide more traction in tackling complex psychiatirc disorders.
- N-of-1 Trials Using mHealth in Chronic PainRichard L Kravitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..N-of-1 trials are an intuitively appealing and demonstrably successful approach but have failed to gain much traction, largely due to lack of infrastructure. Mobile devices can change that...
- Development of shape memory polymer-based implantable electrode systems.ANDREW MICHAEL SLOAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..manufacturer (see letters of support) to allow us to rapidly take advantage of this emerging technology and gain traction in the commercial market...
- Mechanisms of mechanical transduction in the guidance of neuronal axonsSIMON WAYNE MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, I have recently shown that at least one of these cues - netrin-1 - is directly used for traction. In other words, the ability of netrin-1 to attract the growth cone reflects its ability support the growth cone&..
- Functional connectivity substrates of social and non-social deficits in ASDTal Kenet; Fiscal Year: 2013..disorder (ASD) is a disorder of reduced long-range and increased local functional connectivity has been gaining traction. To date, however, there is no evidence of increased local functional connectivity in ASD...
- Center for Cancer PhysicsDenis Wirtz; Fiscal Year: 2013..flow causing shear stresses and hydrostatic pressure, adhesive forces between cell and substrate, cell-mediated traction and protrusive forces within the matrix, steric forces during extravasation and intravasation, shear forces in ..
- Genetic strategies for the quantitative control of cell-matrix mechanobiologySanjay Kumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have shown that this method enables graded and dynamic control of cortical stiffness, traction force generation, cell migration speed, and ECM remodeling...
- Prevention Unintentional Mechanical Birth InjuriesEdith Gurewitsch; Fiscal Year: 2006..to measure clinician-applied traction on the fetal head using a custom-designed shoulder dystocia birthing simulator and correlate direction, magnitude ..
- Pulsed Electron Avalanche Knife: Intraocular Microsurg.Daniel Palanker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Applications include traction-free removal of vitreoretinal membranes to avoid the risk of mechanical damage to the underlying retina ..
- TAS::75 0849::TAS SBIR TOPIC 307 PHASE I NOVEL IMAGING AGENTS TO EXPAND THE CLINShahriar Yaghoubi; Fiscal Year: 2011..need to predict the efficacy and potency of adoptive cellular immunotherapies (ACIT) as these therapies gain traction in treatment of cancer with over 90 clinical trials planned this year...
- Mandibular Bone transport Reconstruction PlateLYNNE OPPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..to regain the normal curvature or the original mandible, and preserve the original lower facial dimensions as the traction force exerted by the soft tissue over the transport disc is rigidly shielded by the transport plate...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2010..with recent statements from the leadership of NCCAM and NIMH, emphasizing the importance of research that has "traction," i.e...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major Depressive DisorderMark Hyman Rapaport; Fiscal Year: 2010..with recent statements from the leadership of NCCAM and NIMH, emphasizing the importance of research that has "traction," i.e...
- Novel mandibular bone transport reconstruction plateLYNNE OPPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..to regain the normal curvature or the original mandible, and preserve the original lower facial dimensions as the traction force exerted by the soft tissue over the transport disc is rigidly shielded by the transport plate...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISM FEMALE STRESS URINARY INCONTINENCETom Lue; Fiscal Year: 2002..We also modified our model by using pregnant rats and placed a intravaginal balloon under traction to direct the force to the levators and perineum to simulate the human situation...
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..retinal vascular changes and neovascularization; hard exudates; visualization through diabetic cataract; macular traction; retinal detachment; and iris neovascularization...
- BIOLOGY OF TUMOR ANGIOGENESIS, INVASION AND METASTASISRakesh Jain; Fiscal Year: 2004..that angiogenesis litates metastasis by increasing cell shedding; ii) establish a quantitative link between cell traction force and invasion through the tissue matrix; iii) demonstrate that stress generated by proliferating cancer ..
- Lever Propulsion Attachment for Pushrim WheelchairsBART KYLSTRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The attachment is fully adjustable to most users. In Phase I, maneuverability, gear change, stability, traction, reliability, weight, cost, and attachment feasibility were successfully demonstrated...
- CYTOKINESIS IN DICTYOSTELIUM--A MOLECULAR ANALYSISJames Spudich; Fiscal Year: 2001..to inhibit the necessary membrane fusion event to yield two independent daughter cells? What role, if any, does traction on a surface play in the cell division process? These are just some of the many questions that need to be ..
- Role of Plexin D1 in thymic developmentLinda Clayton; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such movement requires adhesion mechanisms for traction as well as attractive or repulsive cueing signals...
- Arg coordinates contractile forces with adhesion dynamics in migrating neuronsJUSTIN PEACOCK; Fiscal Year: 2009..Actomyosin contraction then generates traction force to pull the leading process forward...
- Advanced 3D Control Techniques for Powered WheelchairsRory Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2006..the PIs propose to design a robust controller for electric powered wheelchairs that includes velocity control and traction control...
- Mechanosensitive signaling and cell adhesion during migrationGregory Weber; Fiscal Year: 2009..While the function of mechanical signaling generated through cell-matrix traction forces has frequently been the subject of investigation, mechanosensitive responses to tension in cell-cell ..