Summary: The pull on a limb or a part thereof. Skin traction (indirect traction) is applied by using a bandage to pull on the skin and fascia where light traction is required. Skeletal traction (direct traction), however, uses pins or wires inserted through bone and is attached to weights, pulleys, and ropes. (From Blauvelt & Nelson, A Manual of Orthopaedic Terminology, 5th ed)
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- Transplanted neural stem cells promote nerve regeneration in acute peripheral nerve traction injury: assessment using MRILi Na Cheng
Department of Radiology, Sun Yat Sen Memorial Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, No 107 Yanjiang Rd West, Guangzhou 510120, Guangdong, China
AJR Am J Roentgenol 196:1381-7. 2011The purpose of our study was to monitor neural stem cells (NSCs) transplanted in acute peripheral nerve traction injury and to use MRI to assess the ability of NSCs to promote nerve regeneration.
- Neer Award 2007: Reversion of structural muscle changes caused by chronic rotator cuff tears using continuous musculotendinous traction. An experimental study in sheepChristian Gerber
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 18:163-71. 2009..It was the purpose of this experiment to test the hypothesis that slow, continuous elongation of a retracted musculotendinous unit allows reversal of the currently irreversible structural muscle changes...
- Traction splints: effective nonsurgical way of managing proximal phalanx fracturesAshok Raj Koul
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical Trust Hospital, Cochin, India
J Trauma 66:1641-6. 2009..Treating proximal phalanx fracture without compromising the mobility is difficult...
- Traction therapy for men with shortened penis prior to penile prosthesis implantation: a pilot studyLaurence A Levine
Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
J Sex Med 8:2112-7. 2011..Loss of penile length after penile prosthesis implantation is one of the most common complaints. There is no recognized reliable technique to gain length once the device is placed...
- Transmission of growth cone traction force through apCAM-cytoskeletal linkages is regulated by Src family tyrosine kinase activityD M Suter
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Cell Biol 155:427-38. 2001..family tyrosine kinase activity controls apCAM-mediated growth cone steering by regulating the transmission of traction forces through receptor-cytoskeletal linkages...
- Closed reduction of traumatic cervical spine dislocation using traction weights up to 140 poundsJ M Cotler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Jefferson Medical College, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 18:386-90. 1993The purpose of this study was to demonstrate that Gardner-Wells skull tong traction up to 140 lb was both safe and effective in reducing dislocation, without fractures, of facet joints involving the C4-C7 vertebral bodies when applied by ..
- Separation of propulsive and adhesive traction stresses in locomoting keratocytesT Oliver
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0300, USA
J Cell Biol 145:589-604. 1999Strong, actomyosin-dependent, pinching tractions in steadily locomoting (gliding) fish keratocytes revealed by traction imaging present a paradox, since only forces perpendicular to the direction of locomotion are apparent, leaving the ..
- Systematic literature review of spinal decompression via motorized traction for chronic discogenic low back painAlex Macario
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medcine, Stanford, California 94305 5640, USA
Pain Pract 6:171-8. 2006The objective of this study was to systematically review the literature to assess the efficacy of nonsurgical spinal decompression achieved with motorized traction for chronic discogenic lumbosacral back pain.
- Comparison of titanium elastic nails with traction and a spica cast to treat femoral fractures in childrenJohn M Flynn
Division of Orthopaedics, Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, 34th and Civic Center Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4399, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 86:770-7. 2004..there have been few studies assessing the risks and benefits of this procedure compared with those of traditional traction and application of a spica cast...
- The efficacy of intermittent cervical traction in patents with chronic neck painPinar Borman
Numune Training and Research Hospital, Clinic of PMR, Cebeci Ankara, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 27:1249-53. 2008Previous studies about the usefulness of traction therapy have concluded with conflicting results. The aim of this study was to examine its efficacy in chronic neck pain...
- Effects of traction, distension, and joint position on distraction of the hip joint: an experimental study in cadaversMichael Dienst
Department for Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Arthroscopy 18:865-71. 2002To quantify the effects of traction alone and in combination with distension of air in different joint positions in order to find out the conditions for adequate distraction of the hip joint with minimal traction force.
- A retrospective comparative study of traction therapy vs. no traction following tunica albuginea plication or partial excision and grafting for Peyronie's disease: measured lengths and patient perceptionsJames Rybak
Department of Urology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Sex Med 9:2396-403. 2012Loss of penile length is a recognized and common consequence of Peyronie's disease (PD). Traction therapy (TT+) has been reported to decrease post-op length loss as well as increase stretched penile length (SPL) prior to surgery.
- Early results after treatment of open abdomen after aortic surgery with mesh traction and vacuum-assisted wound closureA Seternes
Department of Vascular Surgery, St Olavs Hospital, Trondheim, Norway
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 40:60-4. 2010This study aimed to describe the use of vacuum-assisted wound closure (VAWC) and mesh traction to repair an open abdomen after aortic surgery.
- Perkins traction for adult femoral shaft fractures: a report on 53 patients in Sierra LeoneRichard Gosselin
School of Public Health, Berkeley University, El Granada, CA 94018 1983, USA
Int Orthop 31:697-702. 2007A retrospective study of 53 consecutive adult patients with 54 femoral shaft fractures treated with Perkins traction over a 25-month period was carried out. Mean length of stay was 52...
- Traction table-related complications in orthopaedic surgeryMichael A Flierl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Denver Health Medical Center, CO, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 18:668-75. 2010b>Traction tables are used in numerous procedures about the hip and femur, including fracture fixation, hip arthroscopy, and less invasive arthroplasty...
- Percutaneous transhepatic release of an impacted lithotripter basket and its fractured traction wire using a goose-neck snare: a case reportJae Hyun Kwon
Division of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Dongguk University Ilsan Hospital, Dongguk University, Gyeonggi do 410 773, Korea
Korean J Radiol 12:247-51. 2011In a patient with a distal common bile duct stone, a fracture of the traction wire of the basket occurring during the performance of mechanical lithotripsy resulted in the impaction of the lithotripter basket with a stone...
- A randomized controlled trial on the efficacy of intermittent cervical traction for patients with chronic neck painThomas T W Chiu
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Hong Kong
Clin Rehabil 25:814-22. 2011To investigate the efficacy of intermittent cervical traction in the treatment of chronic neck pain over a 12-week follow-up.
- Transvaginal endoscopic cholecystectomy using a simple magnetic traction systemYong Beom Cho
Department of Surgery, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Gangnam Gu, Seoul, Korea
Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol 20:174-8. 2011..We thus performed transvaginal endoscopic cholecystectomies to determine the feasibility of using a magnetic traction system. Experiments were performed in a non-survival porcine model (n = 4)...
- Vertical instability in spondylolisthesis: a traction radiographic assessment technique and the principle of managementKeith D K Luk
Duchess of Kent Children s Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong hrmoldk hkucc hku hk
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 28:819-27. 2003..These radiographs were taken in the neutral, flexion, and extension positions for both erect and recumbent postures, and also in the prone and supine positions with traction applied via a traction table.
- Traction versus supine side bending. Which technique best determines curve flexibility?D W Polly
Orthopaedic Surgery Service, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:804-8. 1998A prospective study performed in two institutions where patients scheduled for surgical management of scoliosis were evaluated with traction and supine side bending radiographs to determine curve flexibility.
- Staged esophageal lengthening with internal and subsequent external traction sutures leads to primary repair of an ultralong gap esophageal atresia with upper pouch tracheoesophagel fistulaHolger Till
Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital of Leipzig, Women s and Children s Hospital, 04317 Leipzig, Germany
J Pediatr Surg 43:E33-5. 2008..In contrast, J. Foker described a technique of lengthening the pouches with traction sutures and making primary repair possible...
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection with sheath-assisted counter traction for early gastric cancersYasutaka Hijikata
Department of Gastroenterology, Aichi Medical University School of Medicine, Yazako, Nagakute cho, Japan
Dig Endosc 22:124-8. 2010..Thus, non-invasive tools and methods are needed to facilitate direct visualization of the submucosal layer during ESD...
- [High-resolution optical coherence tomography to evaluate vitreomacular traction before and after membrane peeling]M Georgopoulos
Universitätsklinik für Augenheilkunde und Optometrie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090, Wien, Osterreich
Ophthalmologe 105:753-60. 2008....
- Conventional physical therapy with lumbar traction; clinical evaluation and magnetic resonance imaging for lumbar disc herniationA Kamanli
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Firat University, School ofMedicine, Elazig, Turkey
Bratisl Lek Listy 111:541-4. 2010This study measures and compares the outcome of conservative physical therapy with traction, by using magnetic resonance imaging and clinical parameters in patients presenting with low back pain caused by lumbar disc herniation.
- The effect of cervical traction combined with conventional therapy on grip strength on patients with cervical radiculopathyMohammad Taghi Joghataei
Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran
Clin Rehabil 18:879-87. 2004To determine if combining intermittent cervical traction with conventional physical therapy methods is more effective than using conventional approaches alone in the improvement of the grip strength and treatment of the patients with ..
- The value of intermittent cervical traction in recent cervical radiculopathyA Jellad
Service de médecine physique et réadaptation, CHU F Bourguiba, Monastir, Tunisia
Ann Phys Rehabil Med 52:638-52. 2009Our objective is to assess the effect of mechanical and manual intermittent cervical traction on pain, use of analgesics and disability during the recent cervical radiculopathy (CR).
- [Long-term results after conservative treatment of pediatric femoral shaft fractures]M Fuchs
Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Plastische und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Gottingen
Orthopade 32:1136-42. 2003..Traditionally, these fractures have been treated conservatively with skeletal traction. More frequent consideration is being given to the psychological and economical outcome...
- James traction splinting for PIP fracturesSarah B Goldman
Medical Service Corps, United States Navy, Naval Medical Education and Training Command, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Hand Ther 21:209-15. 2008..These types of invasive treatments are insulting of soft tissue and often create significant secondary problems. These authors have designed a splint that attempts to optimize outcomes following fracture and surgical treatment...
- Lateral and posterior pillar grade changes during the treatment of Perthes disease in older patients using skin traction and range of motion exercisesYoshihisa Sugimoto
Okayama University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama, Japan
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 126:101-4. 2006..was to review radiological changes in LP grade in older patients with Perthes disease during 20 months of treatment with skin traction and ROM exercises. We have also reported any grade changes in the posterior pillar (PP) classification.
- Femoral intramedullary nailing: comparison of fracture-table and manual traction. a prospective, randomized studyDavid J G Stephen
University of Toronto Orthopaedic Trauma Research Group, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:1514-21. 2002The purpose of this study was to compare manual traction and fracture-table traction for the reduction and nailing of femoral shaft fractures...
- Observations at the craniocervical junction with simultaneous caudal traction of the spinal cordR Shane Tubbs
Department of Cell Biology, Division of Neurosurgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35233, USA
Childs Nerv Syst 23:367-9. 2007Some have opined that caudal traction of the spinal cord may result in caudal descent of the hindbrain.
- Articular cartilage evaluation in osteoarthritis of the hip with MR imaging under continuous leg tractionT Nishii
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Osaka University Medical School, Suita, Japan
Magn Reson Imaging 16:871-5. 1998..and 10 hips of normal volunteers by a fat-suppressed three-dimensional (3D) pulse sequence using a continuous leg traction method, and correlated the results with radiographic assessment...
- Cost-effectiveness of replacing skeletal traction by interlocked intramedullary nailing for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in CambodiaRichard A Gosselin
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, USA
Int Orthop 33:1445-8. 2009..system for femoral shaft fractures in a provincial trauma hospital in Cambodia are compared to those of Perkin's traction treatment. At an average cost per patient of $1,107 in the traction group and $888 in the nail group (p < 0...
- Old principles revisited--traction splinting for closed proximal phalangeal fracturesA L Collins
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Waterford Regional Hospital, Waterford, Ireland
Injury 33:235-7. 2002..We describe 15 patients treated with an alternative method of skin traction and splintage in our regional trauma centre...
- Magnetic resonance evaluation of the intervertebral disc, spinal ligaments, and spinal cord before and after closed traction reduction of cervical spine dislocationsA R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1210-7. 1999..the incidence of intervertebral disc herniations and injury to the spinal ligaments before and after awake closed traction reduction of cervical spine dislocations...
- The pins and rubbers traction system for treatment of comminuted intraarticular fractures and fracture-dislocations in the handY Suzuki
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Gifu Prefectural Gifu Hospital, Japan
J Hand Surg Br 19:98-107. 1994The authors have developed a new skeletal traction system for comminuted intraarticular fractures and fracture-dislocations in the hand. The system consists of two or three Kirschner wires and rubber bands, and is easy to assemble...
- Artefacts produced by suture traction during incisional biopsy of oral lesionsJ Seoane
Stomatology Department, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci 27:549-53. 2002..ascribed to the technique of incisional biopsy using a punch or scalpel and the influence of suture use for traction and delivery of the specimen...
- Conservative management of third trimester cervical spinal cord injury using Gardner-Wells tongs tractionA O Malomo
Neurological Surgery Division, Department of Surgery, University College Hospital, PMB 5116, Ibadan, Nigeria
Niger J Clin Pract 8:46-50. 2005..30 per 90 patients per year, or 0.33%. We report here, the conservative management of one of these pregnant patients using the Gardner-Wells' tongs traction, resulting in normal parturition and full neurological recovery.
- A model for internal derangement and osteoarthritis of the temporomandibular joint with experimental traction of the mandibular ramus in rabbitH Imai
The Second Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Japan
Oral Dis 7:185-91. 2001..The purpose of this study is to make a model of internal derangement (ID) and osteoarthritis (OA) by postero-superior displacement of the mandible in the rabbit temporomandibular joint (TMJ)...
- Lower extremity traction pins: indications, technique, and complicationsPeter L Althausen
Department of Orthopedics, University of California Davis, Sacramento, USA
Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 31:43-7. 2002The placement of pins in the lower extremity for the purpose of skeletal traction is a basic skill required by an orthopedic surgeon. These pins are primarily used for the management of fractures and dislocations...
- Traction removal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy devices in childrenRamesh Srinivasan
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Alder Hey Children s NHS Foundation Trust, Eaton Road, Liverpool, L12 2AP, UK
Dig Dis Sci 55:2874-7. 2010..There are few published data on non-endoscopic removal of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy devices in children...
- [Observation on therapeutic effect of electroacupuncture under continuous traction for treatment of lumbar disc herniation]Wen Chen
Department of TCM, Hubei Higher Training School of TCM, Jingzhou 434020, China
Zhongguo Zhen Jiu 29:967-9. 2009To observe the clinical effect of electroacupuncture under continuous traction in prone position for treatment of lumbar disc herniation, to search a better clinical treatment for lumbar disc herniation.
- Immediate closed reduction of cervical spine dislocations using tractionA M Star
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 15:1068-72. 1990Cervical facet dislocations may be reduced rapidly and effectively using axial traction with weights applied at over the traditional 45-pound limit. Fifty-three sequential patients with cervical facet dislocations were reviewed...
- How to avoid and manage nerve injuries associated with aortic surgery: ischemic neuropathy, traction injuries, and sexual derangementsM J Dougherty
Section of Vascular Surgery, Pennsylvania Hospital, 700 Spruce St, Suite 101, Philadelphia, PA 19106, USA
Semin Vasc Surg 14:275-81. 2001..Injury to the periaortic autonomic plexi frequently results in ejaculatory and erectile dysfunction. Traction injuries to lumbosacral nerve roots can cause peripheral nerve injury, most commonly exhibited as a femoral nerve ..
- A novel skin-traction method is effective for real-time ultrasound-guided internal jugular vein catheterization in infants and neonates weighing less than 5 kilogramsMasato Morita
Department of Anesthesiology and Medical Crisis Management, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya City, Aichi, Japan
Anesth Analg 109:754-9. 2009..To facilitate IJV catheterization, we developed a novel skin-traction method (STM), in which the point of puncture of the skin over the IJV is stretched upward with tape during ..
- Tongue traction is as effective as jaw lift maneuver for Trachlight-guided orotracheal intubationGoneppanavar Umesh
Department of Anaesthesiology, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka State, India
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 48:130-5. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the jaw lift maneuver with another potentially useful maneuver, tongue traction, for facilitating Trachlight-guided orotracheal intubation.
- The treatment of femoral shaft fractures in children: a systematic overview and critical appraisal of the literatureJ G Wright
Department of Surgery and Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Ont
Can J Surg 43:180-9. 2000..Through a critical systematic overview of the literature on the treatment of pediatric femoral shaft fractures to determine if any method of treatment can be recommended over others...
- The efficacy of lumbar traction in the management of patients with low back painPinar Borman
Clinic of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Numune Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 23:82-6. 2003The literature on the efficacy of traction in the treatment of low back pain (LBP) is conflicting. The aim of this study was to examine its efficacy in this disorder...
- Treatment of extensive bone and soft tissue defects of the lower limb by traction and free-flap transferD Smrke
Laboratory for Biomedical Engineering at the Department of Surgery, University Medical Centre, Zaloska 7, SI 1000, Ljubljana, Slovenia
Injury 31:153-62. 2000..Bone defects were managed with the Ilizarov intercalary bone transport. Two types of traction were used: the Ilizarov type and a 'new' Ljubljana type...
- Treatment options in pediatric femoral shaft fracturesJeffrey O Anglen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Orthop Trauma 19:724-33. 2005..Plate fixation is stable and addresses the entire length of the femur. Soft tissue concerns due to surgical exposure can be minimized by the use of submuscular placement technique...
- Computed tomographic investigation of the effect of traction on lumbar disc herniationsD Onel
Department of Physical Medicine, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Istanbul University, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 14:82-90. 1989The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of static horizontal traction on disc herniations by computed tomographic investigation...
- Traction for low back pain with or without sciatica: an updated systematic review within the framework of the Cochrane collaborationJudy Clarke
Institute for Work and Health, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1591-9. 2006..Systematic review...
- Mandibular traction--an alternative treatment in infants with Pierre Robin sequenceWinnie Pradel
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus Dresden, Technical University Dresden, Dresden, Germany
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 67:2232-7. 2009..However, surgical interventions can result in complications. In our institution, mandibular traction is the standard treatment in cases of severe respiratory distress.
- Traction-compression-closure for exomphalos majorAntonino Morabito
Neonatal Surgical Unit, St Mary s Women and Children s Hospital, Manchester M13 9WL, UK
J Pediatr Surg 41:1850-3. 2006We present our experience with traction-compression-closure (TCC) for exomphalos major (EM) to achieve a safe and embryologically correct midline supraumbilical aesthetic closure with preservation of the umbilicus.
- The efficacy of traction for back pain: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsAnnette A Harte
School of Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 84:1542-53. 2003To assess the efficacy of traction for patients with low back pain (LBP) with or without radiating pain, taking into account the clinical technique or parameters used.
- Perioperative halo-gravity traction in the treatment of severe scoliosis and kyphosisAnthony Rinella
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:475-82. 2005A retrospective analysis of patients that underwent perioperative halo-gravity traction as an adjunct to modern instrumentation methods in the treatment of severe scoliosis and kyphosis.
- Interventions that increase or decrease the likelihood of a meaningful improvement in physical health in patients with sciaticaDianne V Jewell
Department of Physical Therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Richmond, VA 23298 0224, USA
Phys Ther 85:1139-50. 2005..The purpose of our study was to determine whether physical therapy interventions predicted meaningful short-term improvement in physical health for patients diagnosed with sciatica...
- Dynamic traction and passive mobilization for the rehabilitation of zone II flexor tendon injuries: a modified regimeS C Chai
Occupational Therapy Unit, Sibu Hospital, Sibu, Sarawak
Med J Malaysia 60:59-65. 2005..January to December 2003, 8 patients with 15 injured digits were treated by using the combined method of dynamic traction and passive mobilization. According to Strickland's criteria, 14 (93...
- Use of suspension traction system for renal positioning during laparoscopic partial nephrectomyGary W Chien
Section of Urology, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
J Endourol 19:406-9. 2005..We present a renal-suspension traction system to place the tumor in stable optimal view during the critical steps of LPN.
- Caudal anesthesia in children: effect of volume versus concentration of bupivacaine on blocking spermatic cord traction response during orchidopexySusan T Verghese
Department of Anesthesiology, Children s National Medical Center, 111 Michigan Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Anesth Analg 95:1219-23, table of contents. 2002..in inspired halothane concentration to block hemodynamic and/or ventilatory response during spermatic cord traction, as compared with 8 patients (29.6%) in Group 2 (P = 0.022). In the recovery room, four (17...
- Current use of lumbar traction in the management of low back pain: results of a survey of physiotherapists in the United KingdomAnnette Agnes Harte
Health and Rehabilitation Sciences Research Institute, University of Ulster, Jordanstown, Northern Ireland, BT37 0QB
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1164-9. 2005To identify the current use of traction and the types of patients, treatment parameters, and treatment modalities used in conjunction with traction.
- CT imaging techniques for describing motions of the cervicothoracic junction and cervical spine during flexion, extension, and cervical tractionScott Simon
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:44-50. 2006Computerized tomographic study of human cadavers undergoing traction and flexion-extension bending.
- Management of grade III supracondylar fracture of the humerus by straight-arm lateral tractionM Z Sadiq
Milton Keynes General Hospital, Buckinghamshire, UK
Int Orthop 31:155-8. 2007..and distorted local anatomy in all these fractures, which were managed conservatively with straight-arm lateral traction. The patients were treated in skin traction for 2 weeks, following which they commenced physiotherapy...
- Spinal deformity and axial tractionK Kumar
Department of Orthopaedics, Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences, Maharashtra, India
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:653-5. 1996Axial traction to correct spinal deformity is a very old concept...
- Comparison of the use of supine bending and traction radiographs in the selection of the fusion area in adolescent idiopathic scoliosisJ J Vaughan
Kentucky Spine Institute, Lexington, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:2469-73. 1996STUDY DESIGN: A study was done to evaluate the use of voluntary supine side bending radiographs and Risser table traction radiographs in adolescent patients undergoing posterior spinal fusion for idiopathic scoliosis...
- Magnetic retraction in natural-orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES): addressing the problem of traction and countertractionM Ryou
Division of Gastroenterology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Endoscopy 41:143-8. 2009..We aimed to assess the use of internal and external magnets that might allow the vigorous multiaxial traction/countertraction required in more complicated NOTES procedures.
- Retrograde tracheal intubation in a patient with a halo traction deviceNeerja Bhardwaj
Anesth Analg 103:1628-9. 2006
- Operative treatment of severe scoliosis in osteogenesis imperfecta: results of 20 patients after halo traction and posterior spondylodesis with instrumentationG J Janus
Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics, University Medical Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 9:486-91. 2000..The charts of 20 patients with osteogenesis imperfecta who had undergone halo gravity traction (HGT) and a posterior spondylodesis with Cotrel-Dubousset (n = 18) or Harrington (n = 2) instrumentation were ..
- Hip arthroscopy without traction: In vivo anatomy of the peripheral hip joint cavityM Dienst
Department for Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital, Homburg Saar, Germany
Arthroscopy 17:924-31. 2001To describe the in vivo anatomy of the peripheral compartment of the hip joint using a systematic sequence of examination without traction. Type of Study: Case series.
- Posterior only pedicle screw instrumentation with intraoperative halo-femoral traction in the surgical treatment of severe scoliosis (>100 degrees)Azmi Hamzaoglu
Istanbul Bilim University, Florence Nigthingale Hospital, Istanbul Spine Center, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:979-83. 2008..Retrospective clinical study...
- Randomized trial comparing interferential therapy with motorized lumbar traction and massage in the management of low back pain in a primary care settingR Werners
Orthopaedic Primary Care Centre, Dinslaken, Germany
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 24:1579-84. 1999STUDY DESIGN: A randomized trial designed to compare interferential therapy with motorized lumbar traction and massage management for low back pain in a primary care setting...
- The role of magnetic resonance imaging in the management of traction injuries to the adult brachial plexusT E Hems
Peripheral Nerve Injury Unit, The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, London, UK
J Hand Surg Br 24:550-5. 1999..imaging (MRI) of the cervical spine and brachial plexus was performed on 26 consecutive patients presenting with traction injuries of the brachial plexus during 1996 and 1997...
- Treatment of 94 outpatients with chronic discogenic low back pain with the DRX9000: a retrospective chart reviewAlex Macario
Department of Anesthesia and Health Research and Policy, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California 94305 5640, USA
Pain Pract 8:11-7. 2008..s.a.)...
- The effects of weightbath traction hydrotherapy as a component of complex physical therapy in disorders of the cervical and lumbar spine: a controlled pilot study with follow-upMihály Oláh
Hungarospa Hajdúszoboszló Health Resort and Tourism Inc, Hajdúszoboszló, Hungary
Rheumatol Int 28:749-56. 2008..modalities available for the conservative management of chronic cervical and lumbar pain include underwater traction, the usefulness of which is not universally acknowledged...
- Electrophysiological analysis of pudendal neuropathy following tractionG Amarenco
Department of Neurologic Rehabilitation and Perineal Electrophysiologic Explorations, Rothschild Hospital, 33 boulevard de Picpus, 75012 Paris, France
Muscle Nerve 24:116-9. 2001Pudendal neuropathy is an unusual but important complication of orthopedic surgical procedures involving traction on the fracture table...
- Evidence-informed management of chronic low back pain with traction therapyRalph E Gay
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Spine J 8:234-42. 2008..It is hoped that articles in this special focus issue will be informative and aid in decision making for the many stakeholders evaluating nonsurgical interventions for CLBP...
- Is there a subgroup of patients with low back pain likely to benefit from mechanical traction? Results of a randomized clinical trial and subgrouping analysisJulie M Fritz
Intermountain Healthcare, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 32:E793-800. 2007..Randomized Clinical Trial...
- How do physicians and midwives manage the third stage of labor?Weiping M Tan
Private Practice, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Birth 35:220-9. 2008..Current practice guidelines recommend active management of the third stage of labor. We compared practices of three maternity care provider disciplines in management of third-stage labor and the justifications for their approach...
- Dynamic traction for unstable fractures of the distal radiusL M Hove
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Bergen, Norway
J Hand Surg Br 24:210-4. 1999We have designed a flexible distracter through which dynamic traction is applied to fractures of the distal radius. The distraction is maintained during flexion and extension as well as radial and ulnar deviation...
- Physical therapy management of low back pain: an exploratory survey of therapist approachesL C Li
Health Care Research Division, Arthritis and Autoimmunity Research Centre, University Health Network, 610 University Ave, 16th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2M9
Phys Ther 81:1018-28. 2001..The purpose of this study was to examine physical therapists' reported management of acute and subacute lumbar impairment...
- Femoral head resection for painful hip subluxation in cerebral palsy: Is valgus osteotomy in conjunction with femoral head resection preferable to proximal femoral head resection and traction?Arabella I Leet
Johns Hopkins Hospital and Kennedy Krieger Institute, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:70-3. 2005Patients with severe cerebral palsy who underwent either a femoral head resection with traction or a McHale procedure (femoral head resection and valgus osteotomy) were studied retrospectively and then contacted by telephone to assess ..
- [Biomechanical experiments for measuring traction lengthening of the lumbar spine during weight bath therapy]Kovács Márta Kurutzné
Tartószerkezetek Mechanikája Tanszék, Budapesti Muszaki és Gazdaságtudományi Egyetem, Budapest
Orv Hetil 143:673-84. 2002Weight-bath as an effective traction therapy has successfully been applied in Hungary for nearly a half century, however, it has still been constrained exclusively to empirical bases until the numerical biomechanical analysis of Bene and ..
- Effectiveness of conservative treatments for the lumbosacral radicular syndrome: a systematic reviewPim A J Luijsterburg
Erasmus MC, General Practice, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Spine J 16:881-99. 2007..Thirty trials were included that evaluated injections, traction, physical therapy, bed rest, manipulation, medication, and acupuncture as treatment for the lumbosacral radicular ..
- A prospective randomized controlled study of VAX-D and TENS for the treatment of chronic low back painE Sherry
Sydney University, NSW, Australia
Neurol Res 23:780-4. 2001..4% (p < 0.001). A statistically significant reduction in pain and improvement in functional outcome was obtained in patients with chronic low back pain treated with VAX-D...
- Cicatricial marginal alopecia: is it all traction?L J Goldberg
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, 609 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Br J Dermatol 160:62-8. 2009..Biopsy revealed complete loss of individual hair follicles, indicative of scarring alopecia. Not all patients had a history supportive of a diagnosis of traction alopecia.
- Scoliosis and severe pelvic obliquity in a patient with cerebral palsy: surgical treatment utilizing halo-femoral tractionM J Huang
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2168-70. 2001..case study delineates an effective surgical treatment plan for these patients using intraoperative halo-femoral traction. METHODS: A same-day, two-stage surgical reconstruction was performed to effectively correct this spinal ..
- Basilar invagination: craniocervical instability treated with cervical traction and occipitocervical fixation. Case reportRicardo V Botelho
Spinal Group, Neurosurgical Service, Hospital do Servidor Publico Estadual de Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Neurosurg Spine 7:444-9. 2007..in an adult, who was effectively treated with the easy and safe reduction of odontoid invagination via cervical traction. Normalization of kyphosis at the craniovertebral junction and the vertical position of both a previously ..
- Assessment of curve flexibility in adolescent idiopathic scoliosisAzmi Hamzaoglu
The Istanbul Spine Center, Florence Nightingale Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:1637-42. 2005..curve flexibility in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS), comparison of the results to those obtained by supine traction radiographs taken with the patient under general anesthesia (UGA) just before surgery and correlation of all ..
- Intermittent cervical traction and thoracic manipulation for management of mild cervical compressive myelopathy attributed to cervical herniated disc: a case seriesDavid A Browder
Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, San Antonio, TX, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 34:701-12. 2004..Case series...
- Diaphyseal femoral fractures in children: should we change the present mode of treatment?Ibrahim Al-Habdan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, King Fahd Hospital of the University, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Int Surg 89:236-9. 2004..The mode of treatment was balance skin traction in 146, skeletal traction in 72, hip spica in 22, internal fixation in 16, and external fixators in 5...
- Postlaminectomy cervical deformityHarel Deutsch
Chicago Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroresearch, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neurosurg Focus 15:E5. 2003..When postlaminectomy kyphosis does occur, surgical correction is often required and performed via an anterior, posterior, or combined approach. The authors discuss the indications for surgical approaches as well as clinical results...
- [Fractures of the proximal tibial epiphyseal cartilage]Jerzy Sułko
Oddział Ortopedyczno Urazowy, Katedra i Klinika Chirurgii Pediatrycznej, Uniwersytecki Szpital Dzieciecy w Krakowie
Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 69:389-92. 2004..One child was treated by closed reduction and percutaneous Kirschner wires fixation. One child was treated by traction. The rest of the children were treated by casting, in knee flexion about 30 degrees...
- Cervical kyphosis associated with anteroposterior dissociation and quadriparesis in Larsen's syndromeDanielle A Katz
Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:429-33. 2005..patient has had continued neurologic and radiographic improvement with nonoperative treatment consisting of early traction. The other patient was treated with posterior fusion that failed to halt progressive kyphosis of the anterior ..
- Surgical treatment for atlantoaxial subluxation with myelopathy in spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenitaKota Miyoshi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Yokohama Rosai Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:E488-91. 2004..A retrospective review of 21 patients with spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita (SEDC), including 7 operated patients for atlantoaxial subluxation...
- The surgical treatment of teratologic dislocation of the hipMarie Eve Lebel
St Francois d Assise Hospital, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Pediatr Orthop B 14:331-6. 2005..In spite of these difficulties and complications, results are encouraging...
- Closed treatment of displaced diaphyseal both-bone forearm fractures in older children and adolescentsLewis E Zionts
Women s and Children s Hospital, Los Angeles County, California 90033, USA
J Pediatr Orthop 25:507-12. 2005..Closed reduction and casting of displaced both-bone diaphyseal forearm fractures, despite the residual angulation, results in satisfactory functional outcome and should remain a viable treatment option in the management of this injury...
- Femoral shaft fractures in childrenJames B Hunter
Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
Injury 36:A86-93. 2005..Current modalities used for the treatment of femoral shaft fractures include various forms of traction, immediate and late spica casting, elastic nailing, external fixation, plate fixation, and conventional ..
- Acute quadriplegia following closed traction reduction of a cervical facet dislocation in the setting of ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament: case reportDavid W Wimberley
Fondren Orthopedic Group, Texas Orthopedic Hospital, Houston, TX, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:E433-8. 2005A case report of acute quadriplegia resulting from closed traction reduction of traumatic bilateral cervical facet dislocation in a 54-year-old male with concomitant ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament (OPLL).
- Remodelling and overgrowth after conservative treatment for femoral and tibial shaft fractures in childrenStefano Stilli
Department of Paediatric Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Via Pupilli 1, Bologna, Italy
Chir Organi Mov 91:13-9. 2008..Finally, criteria for an acceptable reduction (and limits for residual deformities that may be tolerated) at the time of conservative treatment are proposed...
- Initially overseen vertebral body luxation: diagnosed by dynamic fluoroscopy due to delayed dysphagiaMarius C Wick
Department of Radiology, Innsbruck Medical University, Anichstrasse 35, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Eur Spine J 16:278-82. 2007..This case exemplifies the importance of careful initial clinical examination and spinal CT after accidents encompassing an increased risk of spinal fractures, even if neurologically unapparent...
- [Surgical strategy for severe cervical spine dislocations]Xin Wei Wang
Department of Orthopedics, Changzheng Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai 200003, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 45:379-82. 2007..To evaluate the rate of open reduction and surgical strategy of severe cervical dislocation...
- COLLAGENOLYSIS-DRIVEN MOLECULAR MOTORS IN CELL MIGRATION AND MATRIX REMODELINGGregory Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2009..to force generation by cells in a collagen rich microenvironment using several experimental approaches including traction force microscopy in 2D cultures, the force measurements in 3D tissue constructs, and finally to measure the force ..
- COLLAGENOLYSIS-DRIVEN MOLECULAR MOTORS IN CELL MIGRATION AND MATRIX REMODELINGGregory I Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..to force generation by cells in a collagen rich microenvironment using several experimental approaches including traction force microscopy in 2D cultures, the force measurements in 3D tissue constructs, and finally to measure the force ..
- Quantitative Analysis of Chemotactic Motility Cycle of Ameboid CellsJUAN CARLOS contact LASHERAS; Fiscal Year: 2010..result of the sequential repetition of pseudopod protrusions and retractions and is driven by the generation of traction forces...
- Prevention Unintentional Mechanical Birth InjuriesEdith Gurewitsch; Fiscal Year: 2006..to measure clinician-applied traction on the fetal head using a custom-designed shoulder dystocia birthing simulator and correlate direction, magnitude ..
- The biomechanics of morphogenesis in the frogLance A Davidson; Fiscal Year: 2010..proposal is to understand the physical mechanisms by which actomyosin dynamics drive cell shape changes, generate traction forces, establish passive tissue properties such as stiffness, active force production by convergence and ..
- Pulsed Electron Avalanche Knife: Intraocular Microsurg.Daniel Palanker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Applications include traction-free removal of vitreoretinal membranes to avoid the risk of mechanical damage to the underlying retina ..
- Autophagy and control of photoreceptor apoptosisDavid N Zacks; Fiscal Year: 2010..detachment) or as a result of other disease processes such as ocular trauma, inflammation, diabetes (due to traction on the retina) or neovascular age-related macular degeneration (due to exudation of fluid from the neovascular ..
- Enhancing the Effectiveness of Physical Therapy in People with Knee OAG Kelley Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2010..that manual therapy (MT), manually applied treatment techniques such as joint mobilization/manipulation, manual traction, soft tissue manipulations, and passive stretching, when combined with ET, may improve the overall effectiveness ..
- REGULATION OF NEURONAL MOTILITYPaul Forscher; Fiscal Year: 2006..This will include evaluation of how traction forces that develop in peripheral actin networks bias MT advance, and if tension affects MT polymer dynamics...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2009..an intro, including magnetic twisting cytometry (MTC), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and a unique embodiment of traction force microscopy called cell mapping rheometry...
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..an intro, including magnetic twisting cytometry (MTC), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and a unique embodiment of traction force microscopy called cell mapping rheometry...
- Cell-Cell and Cell-Matrix Interactions in MorphogenesisDouglas W DeSimone; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Traction force microscopy (TFM) and paramagnetic bead-pull experiments will be used to define cell-cell adhesive forces ..
- The Mechanical Basis of Primary Open Angle GlaucomaMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2010..an intro, including magnetic twisting cytometry (MTC), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and a unique embodiment of traction force microscopy called cell mapping rheometry...
- PATHOGENIC MECHANISMS IN PROLIFERATIVE VITREORETINOPATHYPeter Campochiaro; Fiscal Year: 1993..will also be examined for their ability to inhibit the above cellular processes as well as the development of traction retinal detachment formation in animal models...
- Low-Cost Device for Digital Retinal ImagingANN ELSNER; Fiscal Year: 2007..retinal vascular changes and neovascularization; hard exudates; visualization through diabetic cataract; macular traction; retinal detachment; and iris neovascularization...
- Mechanisms of Integrin-Microtubule Cross-talkGregg G Gundersen; Fiscal Year: 2010..leading edge during cell migration and hi establishing adhesive sites through integrin receptors to provide the traction necessary for cell migration...
- Mechanisms of Integrin-Microtubule Cross-talkGregg G Gundersen; Fiscal Year: 2010..leading edge during cell migration and hi establishing adhesive sites through integrin receptors to provide the traction necessary for cell migration...
- Mandibular Bone transport Reconstruction PlateLYNNE OPPERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..to regain the normal curvature or the original mandible, and preserve the original lower facial dimensions as the traction force exerted by the soft tissue over the transport disc is rigidly shielded by the transport plate...
- STRUCTURE AND ASSEMBLY OF CYTOSKELETAL FILAMENTSMichael Sheetz; Fiscal Year: 2003..we have developed force sensors in silicon chips and have improved the laser tweezers measurements of isometric traction forces...
- INTEGRINS AND OCULAR ANGIOGENESISMartin Friedlander; Fiscal Year: 2009..fluid, hemorrhage or are associated with fibrous proliferation, retinal edema, retinal/vitreous hemorrhage or traction retinal detachments may occur resulting in potentially catastrophic loss of vision...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2010..with recent statements from the leadership of NCCAM and NIMH, emphasizing the importance of research that has "traction," i.e...
- INTEGRINS AND OCULAR ANGIOGENESISMartin Friedlander; Fiscal Year: 2010..fluid, hemorrhage or are associated with fibrous proliferation, retinal edema, retinal/vitreous hemorrhage or traction retinal detachments may occur resulting in potentially catastrophic loss of vision...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISM FEMALE STRESS URINARY INCONTINENCETom Lue; Fiscal Year: 2002..We also modified our model by using pregnant rats and placed a intravaginal balloon under traction to direct the force to the levators and perineum to simulate the human situation...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major Depressive DisorderMark Hyman Rapaport; Fiscal Year: 2010..with recent statements from the leadership of NCCAM and NIMH, emphasizing the importance of research that has "traction," i.e...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major Depressive DisorderMark Rapaport; Fiscal Year: 2007..with recent statements from the leadership of NCCAM and NIMH, emphasizing the importance of research that has "traction," i.e...
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2007
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major Depressive DisorderMark Rapaport; Fiscal Year: 2009
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Treatment of Major DepressionDavid Mischoulon; Fiscal Year: 2009
- INTEGRINS AND OCULAR ANGIOGENESISMartin Friedlander; Fiscal Year: 2007..fluid, hemorrhage or are associated with fibrous proliferation, retinal edema, retinal/vitreous hemorrhage or traction retinal detachments may occur resulting in potentially catastrophic loss of vision...
- GROWTH GENES, EXTRACELLULAR MATRIX AND ANGIOGENESISDonald Ingber; Fiscal Year: 2007..Endogenous changes in cytoskeletal tension will be quantitated using traction force microscopy...
- ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL STUDIES OF RETINAL DEGENERATIONSEliot Berson; Fiscal Year: 1980..Possible effects of traction on the retina due to a preretinal membrane in the macula of patients with retinitis pigmentosa and allied ..