Summary: The surgical fixation of a joint by a procedure designed to accomplish fusion of the joint surfaces by promoting the proliferation of bone cells. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- [Ankle arthrodesis with four cancellous lag screws]Thomas Endres
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus der technischen Universität Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, D 01307, Dresden, Germany
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:345-60. 2005b>Arthrodesis of the ankle at 90 degrees and perfect axial alignment for restoration of a painless function. Early functional postoperative care.
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis using a dynamically locked retrograde intramedullary nailKevin Pelton
USC Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:759-63. 2006BACKGROUND: Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis is an important salvage method for patients with complex hindfoot problems, including Charcot arthropathy, osteonecrosis of the talus, combined arthritis of the ankle and subtalar joint, and ..
- [Scapho-trapezio-trapezoidal arthrodesis for scapho-trapezio-trapezoidal osteoarthritis]J N Goubier
Centre International de Chirurgie de la Main CICM, clinique du pare Monceau, 21, rue de Chazelles, 75017, Paris, France
Chir Main 25:179-84. 2006Scapho-trapezio-trapezoid arthrodesis was originally performed for the treatment of scapho-lunate instability...
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with retrograde intramedullary nailingRobert W Mendicino
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 43:82-6. 2004..The complication rate was found to be high in diabetic patients with end-stage deformity undergoing a limb salvage..
- Failure of external spinal skeletal fixation to improve predictability of lumbar arthrodesisD A Bednar
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1656-9. 2001BACKGROUND: Whether lumbar arthrodesis can relieve isolated low-back pain in the absence of focal neurological findings or instability is unclear...
- Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint: a biomechanical study comparing memory compression staples, cannulated screws, and a dorsal plateSteven K Neufeld
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 23:97-101. 2002b>Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint of 21 matched pairs of cadaver toes was performed in order to compare the strength of three methods of internal fixation: 1. two crossed cannulated screws, 2...
- Intra-articular neuropathic fracture of the calcaneal body treated by open reduction and subtalar arthrodesisJ T Campbell
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:440-4. 2001..Following control of the acute Charcot process with total contact casting, surgical reduction and subtalar arthrodesis was performed to stabilize the hindfoot and decrease the risk of recurrent ulceration...
- Anterior cervical allograft arthrodesis and instrumentation: multilevel interbody grafting or strut graft reconstructionM L Swank
Research Institute International, Gainesville, FL 32605, USA
Eur Spine J 6:138-43. 1997..patients treated by multilevel cervical disc excision (two or three levels), allograft tricortical iliac crest arthrodesis, and anterior instrumentation...
- Outcome of Ilizarov ankle arthrodesisSharon Eylon
Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery, Ein Karem, Jerusalem, Israel
Foot Ankle Int 28:873-9. 2007Many operative techniques have been described for ankle arthrodesis, with varying fusion rates. In revisions, the fusion rate is lower than in primary arthrodesis...
- Use of bone morphogenetic proteins in arthrodesis: clinical resultsNikolaos K Kanakaris
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
Injury 40:S62-6. 2009Bone grafting is not routinely required in primary arthrodesis in the absence of infection, avascular necrosis, bone defect or previous non-union; when any of the above factors is present, autograft is the gold-standard method...
- Arthrodesis of the infected ankle and subtalar joint: technique, indications, and results of 45 consecutive casesD Richter
Department of Surgery, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Trauma Center, School of Medicine, University of Bochum, Germany
J Trauma 47:1072-8. 1999To analyze the results of 45 patients after ankle arthrodesis in the presence of joint infection.
- First metatarsal-phalangeal joint arthrodesis: a biomechanical assessment of stabilityJoel Politi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio 44309, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:332-7. 2003BACKGROUND: First metatarsal phalangeal joint (MTP) arthrodesis is a commonly performed procedure for the treatment of hallux rigidus, severe and recurrent bunion deformities, rheumatoid arthritis and other less common disorders of the ..
- Primary tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesisKalpesh S Shah
Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, St Paul s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Foot Ankle Clin 16:115-36. 2011Tibiotalocalcaneal (TTC) arthrodesis is a salvage operation to treat a difficult problem; normal function is not expected with arthrodesis of these 2 major joints...
- [Ankle arthrodesis using the cable technique]Reiner Labitzke
Chirurgische Klinik der Universität Witten Herdecke, Zum Mühlenberg 59, D 58239 Schwerte, Germany
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:392-406. 2005b>Arthrodesis of the ankle with a cable technique for restitution of pain-free gait with the foot in functional alignment.
- Screw fixation compared to H-locking plate fixation for first metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis: a biomechanical studyDavid A Cohen
Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 26:984-9. 2005BACKGROUND: Several different techniques have been used for fixation of first metatarsocuneiform (MTC) joint arthrodesis, a standard treatment for arthritis, instability, and deformity of the MTC joint...
- The anatomic compression arthrodesis technique with anterior plate augmentation for ankle arthrodesisMichael P Clare
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Florida Orthopaedic Institute, 13020 Telecom Parkway North, Tampa, FL 33637, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 16:91-101. 2011The anatomic compression arthrodesis technique with anterior plate augmentation is an effective technique that results in a high union rate, improved functional outcome, and an acceptable complication rate...
- Technique and short-term results of ankle arthrodesis using anterior platingAly Mohamedean
Orthopedic Department, Assiut University Hospital, Assiut, Egypt
Int Orthop 34:833-7. 2010Clinical and biomechanical trials have shown that rigid internal fixation during ankle arthrodesis leads to increased rates of union and is associated with a reduced infection rate, union time, discomfort and earlier mobilisation ..
- Wrist arthrodesis in cerebral palsyAnn E Van Heest
University of Minnesota, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Hand Surg Am 34:1216-24. 2009Cerebral palsy patients with spastic wrist deformities can be treated with wrist arthrodesis to improve appearance, hygiene, and function...
- Anterior plate supplementation increases ankle arthrodesis construct rigidityIvan S Tarkin
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Orthopaedics, Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:219-23. 2007The success of ankle arthrodesis for the treatment of post-traumatic ankle arthritis depends on achieving and maintaining rigid fixation of the prepared tibiotalar interface...
- Ankle arthrodesisAneel Nihal
Southside Health Service District, Logan Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Foot Ankle Surg 14:1-10. 2008Numerous techniques for ankle arthrodesis have been reported since the original description of compression arthrodesis. From the early 1950s to the mid 1970s, external fixation was the dominant technique utilized...
- Arthrodesis of the ankle in the presence of a large deformity in the coronal planeR Smith
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wrightington Hospital, Hall Lane, Appley Bridge, Lancashire, Wigan WN6 9EP, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:615-9. 2007..patients (25 ankles) with osteoarthritis of the ankle and severe varus or valgus deformity were treated by open arthrodesis using compression screws...
- Adult acquired flexible flatfoot, treated by calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis, posterior tibial tendon augmentation, and percutaneous Achilles tendon lengthening: a prospective outcome study of 20 patientsArie van der Krans
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 77:156-63. 2006..PATIENTS AND METHODS: We followed the outcome of calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis with lengthening of the lateral column prospectively in 20 patients (20 feet)...
- Comparison of proximal row carpectomy and midcarpal arthrodesis for the treatment of scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse (SNAC-wrist) and scapholunate advanced collapse (SLAC-wrist) in stage IIAndreas K Dacho
Department of ENT and Plastic Surgery, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 10 14, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:1210-8. 2008..Proximal row carpectomy (PRC) and midcarpal arthrodesis (MCA) are two commonly used options...
- Arthrodesis of the trapeziometacarpal joint for basal joint osteoarthritis of the thumb: the importance of obtaining osseous unionL De Smet
Hand Unit, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital Pellenberg and Gasthuisberg, Weligerveld 1, 3212 Lubbeek, Pellenberg, Belgium
Chir Main 24:222-4. 2005..The carpometacarpal arthrodesis should provide stability, strength and resolution of pain. There is however some controversy on the outcome.
- Scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy or limited wrist arthrodesis with scaphoid excision?M M Tomaino
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA
J Hand Surg Am 19:134-42. 1994Proximal row carpectomy (PRC) and limited intercarpal arthrodesis with scaphoid excision (LWF) are useful alternatives to wrist arthrodesis for treatment of degenerative wrist disorders secondary to scapholunate advanced collapse...
- Reconstructive surgery for complete talus extrusion using the sandwich block arthrodesis: a report of 2 casesHeiko Koller
Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery, Katharinenhospital, Stuttgart, Germany
J Foot Ankle Surg 46:493-8. 2007..In this report, we present 2 cases of total talus extrusion treated with the sandwich block tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis with structural autografts harvested from iliac crest...
- Degenerative arthritis of the wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus scaphoid excision and four-corner arthrodesisM S Cohen
Hand and Elbow Program, The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:94-104. 2001..of 19 patients from separate institutions performing exclusively either a scaphoid excision and 4-corner arthrodesis (lunate, capitate, hamate, and triquetrum) or proximal row carpectomy (PRC) for scapholunate advanced collapse ..
- Sacroiliac arthrodesis using a posterior midline fascial splitting approach and pedicle screw instrumentation: a new techniqueT A Belanger
Michigan State University/Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008, USA
J Spinal Disord 14:118-24. 2001Many techniques for sacroiliac arthrodesis have been described. No single technique is universally accepted as the standard...
- Proximal row carpectomy and intercarpal arthrodesis for the management of wrist arthritisJohn D Wyrick
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Division of Upper Extremity Surgery. Division of Orthopaedic Trauma, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0212, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 11:277-81. 2003..to preserve motion are proximal row carpectomy and scaphoid excision with capitohamate-lunotriquetral arthrodesis. Both procedures have documented successful outcomes...
- Shoulder arthrodesisD J Clare
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:593-600. 2001Current indications for shoulder arthrodesis include posttraumatic brachial plexus injuries, paralysis of the deltoid muscle and rotator cuff, chronic infection, failed revision arthroplasty, severe refractory instability, and bone ..
- Arthroscopic arthrodesis of the shoulder: a report of two casesAbeer Syal
Department of Surgery, Section of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Manitoba, Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:e23-5. 2008
- Shoulder arthrodesis: indications, technique, results, and complicationsOliver Rühmann
Orthopaedic Department, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 14:38-50. 2005Complications after shoulder arthrodesis are frequent...
- Knee arthrodesis with the Sheffield external ring fixator: fusion in 6 of 10 consecutive patientsAnton K Ulstrup
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Roskilde County Hospital, Køge, Denmark
Acta Orthop 78:371-6. 2007Knee arthrodesis with external fixation (XF) is a possible salvage procedure for infected total knee arthroplasties (TKA). We report the outcome in 10 patients who underwent arthrodesis with the Sheffield Ring Fixator.
- Knee arthrodesis using circular external fixator in the treatment of infected knee prosthesis: case reportTaner Gunes
Ortopedi ve Travmatoloji Anabilim Dali, Gaziosmanpasa Universitesi Tip Fakultesi Dekanligi, 60100, Tokat, Turkey
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 13:329-34. 2005..After 2 months, the patient underwent knee arthrodesis using a circular external fixator to achieve a stable lower extremity and to facilitate return to activities of ..
- Functional analysis of shoulder arthrodesisLadislav Nagy
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Switzerland
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 13:386-95. 2004The goal of this study was to determine the optimal position of shoulder arthrodesis for functional outcome and pain...
- [Arthrodesis of the hip and its conversion]G Zeiler
Orthopädische Klinik Wichernhaus, Krankenhaus Rummelsberg
Orthopade 33:939-56; quiz 957. 2004b>Arthrodesis of the hip used to be an important means of treating painful and damaged hips. Increasing experiences in total hip replacement have led to restrictive indications for arthrodesis and to more and more total hip arthroplasty...
- Glenohumeral arthrodesis in upper and total brachial plexus palsy. A comparison of functional resultsM Chammas
, Lapeyronie University Hospital, Montpellier, France
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:692-5. 2004..Both groups showed increased functional capabilities after glenohumeral arthrodesis and a flail hand did not influence the post-operative active range of movement...
- [Arthrodesis of the shoulder. A new and soft-tissue-sparing technique with a deep locking plate in the supraspinatus fossa]A Klonz
ATOS Praxisklinik GmbH and Co KG, Bismarckstrasse 9 15, 69115, Heidelberg, Germany
Unfallchirurg 110:891-5. 2007b>Arthrodesis of the glenohumeral joint is a difficult intervention that involves a relatively high probability of complications. A stable internal fixation and secure consolidation is required...
- Hip arthrodesis with the dynamic hip screwMarcus J K Bankes
Department of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, Brockley Hill, Stanmore, Middlesex, United Kingdom
J Pediatr Orthop 22:101-4. 2002..report a series of 10 patients (4 male, 6 female) with end-stage hip degeneration who underwent unilateral hip arthrodesis at an average age of 19 years (range 14-35)...
- Use of a retrograde nail for ankle arthrodesis in Charcot neuroarthropathy: a limb salvage procedureLuca Dalla Paola
Abano Terme Hospital, Diabetic Foot Department, Piazza Cristoforo Columbo 1, Abano Terme, Padova 35031, Italy
Foot Ankle Int 28:967-70. 2007..b>Arthrodesis before the ulcerated lesion appears is considered a limb salvage treatment...
- Hip arthrodesis: current indications and techniquesPaul E Beaule
Joint Replacement Institute at Orthopaedic Hospital, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 10:249-58. 2002..Although hip arthrodesis is not perceived favorably as an alternative by most orthopaedic surgeons or patients because of the ..
- Isolated talonavicular arthrodesis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis of the foot and tibialis posterior tendon dysfunctionStanislav Popelka
1st Orthopaedic Clinic, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:38. 2010..Major contributors to the early development of foot deformities include talonavicular joint destruction and tibialis posterior tendon dysfunction, mainly due to its rupture...
- Biomechanical comparison of single- and two-level cervical arthroplasty versus arthrodesis: effect on adjacent-level spinal kinematicsBryan W Cunningham
St Joseph Medical Center, Towson, MD 21204, USA
Spine J 10:341-9. 2010The use of motion-preserving spinal implants versus conventional arthrodesis instrumentation systems, which stabilize operative segments, necessitates improved understanding of their effect on spinal kinematics and the biomechanically ..
- Knee arthrodesis with the Ilizarov external fixator as treatment for septic failure of knee arthroplastyM Spina
VII Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Rizzoli Orthopedic Institute, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Orthop Traumatol 11:81-8. 2010..The authors report the results of femoral-tibial fusion with an Ilizarov circular external fixator following septic loosening of knee prosthesis...
- A new concept for thumb basal joint arthrodesis: the V-shaped osteotomyJoris Duerinckx
Christine M Kleinert Institute for Hand and Microsurgery, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg 14:73-6. 2010Nonunion is a common complication after trapeziometacarpal joint arthrodesis. Classically, arthrodesis involves the apposition of the trapezium to the metacarpal after excision of the diseased joint surfaces producing either a cone-in-..
- 1997 Volvo Award winner in clinical studies. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis with spinal stenosis: a prospective, randomized study comparing decompressive laminectomy and arthrodesis with and without spinal instrumentationJ S Fischgrund
William Beaumont Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2807-12. 1997..Results of recent studies demonstrated that outcomes are significantly improved if posterolateral arthrodesis is performed at the listhesed level...
- Use of a trabecular metal implant in ankle arthrodesis after failed total ankle replacementAnders Henricson
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Falu Central Hospital, Sweden
Acta Orthop 81:745-7. 2010b>Arthrodesis after failed total ankle replacement is complicated and delayed union, nonunion, and shortening of the leg often occur-especially with large bone defects...
- Is there still a place for arthrodesis in the surgical treatment of basal joint osteoarthritis of the thumb?Luc De Smet
Department of Orthopaedics, University Hospital Pellenberg, Belgium
Acta Orthop Belg 76:719-24. 2010..and prosthesis--in the treatment for trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis, one may question the value of an arthrodesis in particular situations...
- Pisotriquetral arthrodesis as an alternative to excision for pisotriquetral instability in high-demand patients: a case report in a gymnastReid Abrams
University of California San Diego, San Diego, CA 92103 8894, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:611-4. 2006A gymanast developed ulnar wrist pain caused by pisotriquetral instability. Pisotriquetral arthrodesis resulted in pain relief and sufficient functional return to allow her to return to gymnastics...
- Wrist kinematics after limited intercarpal arthrodesisM Garcia Elias
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minn 55905
J Hand Surg Am 14:791-9. 1989..These kinematic changes are likely to enhance shear stresses on the lunate and tension on the surrounding ligaments, potentially diminishing long-term functional results...
- Limited arthrodesis for scaphoid nonunionS F Viegas
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77551
J Hand Surg Am 19:127-33. 1994..history and biomechanical studies and includes the excision of the distal scaphoid fragment and a limited arthrodesis that incorporates the proximal pole of the scaphoid, the lunate, and the capitate...
- Wrist arthrodesis after failed wrist implant arthroplastyJ R Carlson
Harvard University Orthopaedic Program, Boston, MA, USA
J Hand Surg Am 23:893-8. 1998..has not achieved large success to date, and there are patients with failures in their procedures who will need arthrodesis. We review our experience in revising a wrist implant arthroplasty to an arthrodesis with a block graft of ..
- Arthroscopic subtalar arthrodesis using a posterior 2-portal approach in the prone positionKeun Bae Lee
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Chonnam National University Medical School and Hospital, Gwangju, South Korea
Arthroscopy 26:230-8. 2010The purpose of this study was to evaluate the results of posterior arthroscopic subtalar arthrodesis (ASTA) by use of a posterior 2-portal approach in the prone position and to describe the surgical technique.
- [Arthroscopy-assisted glenohumeral arthrodesis: a case of uncontrollable shoulder instability]K Hiersemann
Klinik für Orthopädie, Universitat Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Deutschland
Unfallchirurg 110:456-9. 2007The promising option of arthroscopy-assisted glenohumeral arthrodesis to treat shoulder instability is presented. Compared with open arthrodesis of the shoulder, especially the cosmetic result of this procedure is better...
- Hip arthroplasty after previous arthrodesisErik D Peterson
Orthopaedic Consultants, Sioux Falls, SD, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 467:2880-5. 2009Total hip arthroplasty after previous arthrodesis has been associated with increased complications and decreased survivorship of the prosthesis...
- Shoulder arthrodesis with a reconstruction plateJae Myeung Chun
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, 388 1 Pungnap 2dong, Songpa Gu, Seoul, 138 736, Korea
Int Orthop 33:1025-30. 2009From 1995 to 2005, arthrodesis with a reconstruction plate was performed for eight shoulders. The average follow-up period was 44 months...
- A systematic review of total wrist arthroplasty compared with total wrist arthrodesis for rheumatoid arthritisChristi M Cavaliere
Section of Plastic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Mich 48109 0340, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 122:813-25. 2008..The purpose of this systematic review was to scientifically evaluate the existing literature for outcomes of both procedures in rheumatoid arthritis...
- Calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis and first metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis for correction of acquired flatfoot deformity in a cadaver modelKevin J Logel
Orthopaedic Surgery, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:435-40. 2007..We evaluated radiographic and pressure changes in a severe flatfoot model with lateral column lengthening and investigated the effect of an added first metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis.
- Glenohumeral arthrodesis after failed prosthetic shoulder arthroplasty. Surgical techniqueJason J Scalise
The CORE Institute, 3010 West Agua Fria Freeway, Suite 100, Phoenix, AZ 85027, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:30-7. 2009While there have been numerous reports concerning glenohumeral arthrodesis for many indications, there is little available information specific to glenohumeral arthrodesis performed after failed prosthetic shoulder arthroplasty...
- Arthrodesis of the shoulderOri Safran
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical School, Jerusalem, Israel
J Am Acad Orthop Surg 14:145-53. 2006Shoulder arthrodesis is an end-stage salvage option for the failing, painful joint that cannot undergo or has failed reconstruction...
- Intermediate and long-term outcomes of total ankle arthroplasty and ankle arthrodesis. A systematic review of the literatureS L Haddad
Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, Glenview Medical Arts Building, 2401 Ravine Way, Glenview, IL 60025, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:1899-905. 2007..A systematic review of the literature addressing the intermediate and long-term outcomes of interest in total ankle arthroplasty and ankle arthrodesis was performed.
- Posttraumatic ankle arthritis: an update on conservative and surgical managementRobroy L Martin
Department of Physical Therapy, Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 37:253-9. 2007..Surgical procedures for posttraumatic ankle arthritis can include distraction arthroplasty, arthrodesis, or total ankle arthroplasty...
- Arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis: factors influencing union in 39 consecutive patientsDavid R Collman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Medical Group, Modesto, CA, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:1079-85. 2006BACKGROUND: Arthroscopic ankle arthrodesis is an effective alternative to open techniques with established advantages in select patient populations...
- Arthroscopic ankle arthrodesisI G Winson
Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, England, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:343-7. 2005..Six patients had a subtalar fusion at a mean of 48 months after ankle fusion. There were 48 patients with excellent, 35 with good, 10 with fair and 11 with poor clinical results...
- A plantar approach for fixation of subtalar joint arthrodesisBruce Lehnert
Department of Veterans Affairs, Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 43:67-9. 2004
- Factors associated with outcome after subtalar arthrodesisJaskarndip Chahal
University of Toronto, Department of Surgery, Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 20:555-61. 2006OBJECTIVES: To evaluate radiographic and functional outcomes after subtalar arthrodesis and to identify patient factors associated with poor outcome. DESIGN: Retrospective study. SETTING: Two academic hospitals...
- Results of four-corner arthrodesis using dorsal circular plate fixationArnold-Peter C Weiss
J Hand Surg [Am] 31:327-8; author reply 328. 2006
- Extra-articular subtalar arthrodesis. A long-term follow-up in patients with cerebral palsyS Bourelle
Medical School of Medicine, Saint-Etienne, France
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:737-42. 2004Of 23 children (35 feet) with cerebral palsy who had undergone a Grice extra-articular subtalar arthrodesis for a valgus hindfoot between 1976 and 1981, we reviewed 17 (26 feet), at a mean of 20 years (17 years 3 months to 22 years 4 ..
- Salvage of diffuse ankle osteomyelitis by single-stage resection and circumferential frame compression arthrodesisCharles L Saltzman
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, University of Iowa, 200 Hawkinis Drive, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Iowa Orthop J 25:47-52. 2005..with diffuse ankle osteomyelitis were treated by resection of all infected tiissue and hybrid-frame compression arthrodesis. At presentation, five had open wounds...
- Arthrodesis of the knee after failed infected total knee arthroplastyHans Michael Klinger
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Georg August University of Gottingen, Robert Koch Strasse 40, 37075, Gottingen, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 14:447-53. 2006..In selected patients, knee arthrodesis is a well-recognized salvage procedure after infected TKA...
- Ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament. Results of anterior cervical decompression and arthrodesis in sixty-one North American patientsTheodore A Belanger
Miller Orthopaedic Clinic, 1001 Blythe Boulevard, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28203, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:610-5. 2005..We report on a series of patients who were managed with anterior cervical decompression and arthrodesis for the treatment of cervical myelopathy associated with ossification of the posterior longitudinal ligament.
- Tendon interposition arthroplasty versus arthrodesis for the treatment of trapeziometacarpal arthritis: a retrospective comparative follow-up studyM A Mureau
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Hand Surgery, University Hospital Dijkzigt, University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Hand Surg Am 26:869-76. 2001..Tendon interposition arthroplasty led to complications less often (27%) than TMC arthrodesis (39%)...
- A technique for isolated arthrodesis for inflammatory arthritis of the talonavicular jointC P Chiodo
Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Foot Ankle Int 21:307-10. 2000There are few reports in the literature documenting the efficacy of isolated arthrodesis for inflammatory arthritis of the talonavicular joint...
- Tibial plafond fractures. How do these ankles function over time?J Lawrence Marsh
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, College of Medicine, Iowa City 52242, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 85:287-95. 2003....
- Ankle replacement versus arthrodesis: a comparative gait analysis studyPhilippe Piriou
Service de Chirurgie Orthopédique et Traumatologique Hôpital Raymond Poincaré, Paris, France
Foot Ankle Int 29:3-9. 2008..The potential benefits of restoring movement, improving gait and protecting adjacent joints are persuasive arguments in favor of replacing rather than fusing the ankle joint...
- [Knee arthrodesis using a customized intramedullary nail: 14 cases]R Volpi
, CHU Maison Blanche, Reims
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 90:58-64. 2004We report our experience with knee arthrodesis using a customized intramedullary nail implanted in 14 patients...
- Treatment of isolated injuries of the lunotriquetral ligament. A comparison of arthrodesis, ligament reconstruction and ligament repairA Y Shin
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:1023-8. 2001We studied 57 patients with isolated lunotriquetral injuries treated by arthrodesis, direct ligament repair, or ligament reconstruction...
- A technique of fusion for failed total replacement of the ankle: tibio-allograft-calcaneal fusion with a locked retrograde intramedullary nailK Thomason
Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Trust, Exeter, England
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:885-8. 2008..b>Arthrodesis can be difficult to achieve and is usually associated with considerable shortening of the limb...
- A population study in the Province of Ontario of the complications after conversion of hip or knee arthrodesis to total joint replacementH J Kreder
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto
Can J Surg 42:433-9. 1999..To evaluate the complication rates after conversion of hip and knee fusions to total joint replacements in the Province of Ontario...
- Arthrodesis of the shoulder after septic arthritis. Long-term resultsM Wick
Department of Surgery, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Bochum Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:666-70. 2003We analysed the long-term results of arthrodesis of the shoulder after infection in 15 patients. At the time of operation, 14 cultures were positive for Staphylococcus aureus. The mean follow-up was 8...
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesisL B Chou
Foot Ankle Int 21:804-8. 2000..this multicenter retrospective study of 55 patients (56 ankles) who underwent simultaneous tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with severe disease involving the ankle and subtalar joints was to determine improvement of pain and function...
- The Ilizarov method for failed knee arthrodesis following septic TKRA Manzotti
Knee 8:135-8. 2001Knee arthrodesis is a well-recognized salvage procedure in patients with infected total knee arthroplasties...
- [Interposition arthrodesis of the ankle]Patrick Vienne
Fuss Sprunggelenkschirurgie, Uniklinik Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:502-17. 2005..Bony fusion of the ankle in a functionally favorable position for restitution of a painless weight bearing while avoiding a leg length discrepancy...
- [Revision of failed ankle arthrodeses]Christoph Eingartner
Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Schnarrenbergstrasse 95, D 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:481-501. 2005Ankle arthrodesis with the foot at 90 degrees with minimal as possible leg shortening. Regain of a pain-free use of the limb.
- Autologous bone from hip or knee replacement in simultaneous foot or ankle arthrodesesJames K DeOrio
Department of Orthopedics, Mayo Clinic, 4500 San Pablo Road, Jacksonville, FL 32224, USA
Am J Orthop 34:539-43. 2005..The cases of 10 patients who had combined joint arthroplasty (8 knee, 2 hip) and foot and ankle arthrodesis (6 subtalar, 4 ankle) were reviewed retrospectively...
- [Ankle arthrodesis using the arthroscopic technique]Pascal Rippstein
Zentrum für Fusschirurgie, Schulthess Klink, Lengghalde 2, Ch 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:442-56. 2005..Fast, safe and reliable ankle fusion through minimally invasive technique...
- [Ankle arthrodesis for congenital absence of the fibula]G Ulrich Exner
, , Forchstrasse 340, , Switzerland
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:534-42. 2005..options were considered such as amputation of the foot, a supramalleolar correction osteotomy, and a tibiotalar arthrodesis. THE SOLUTION: Correction of malalignment and ankle arthrodesis stabilized with an external mini-fixator while ..
- Idiopathic cavovarus and lateral ankle instability: recognition and treatment implications relating to ankle arthritisPaul T Fortin
William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Ml 48073, USA
Foot Ankle Int 23:1031-7. 2002..Recognition of the association between cavovarus and chronic ankle instability and degenerative ankle arthritis may be important in developing the appropriate treatment strategy in this patient population...
- [Tibiotalar arthrodesis with the tibial compression nail]Thomas Muckley
Klinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Friedrich Schiller Universitat, Erlanger Allee 101, D 07747 Jena, Germany
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:407-25. 2005b>Arthrodesis of the ankle joint in proper position (neutral position in respect to flexion/extension, 5 degrees external rotation, 0-5 degrees of valgus). Pain-free weight bearing of the affected limb.
- [The dorsolateral approach to the ankle for arthrodesis]Kaj Klaue
Reparto di chirurgia, Ortopedica Clinica Luganese, sede Moncucco, Via Moncucco 10, CH 6900 Lugano, Switzerland
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:380-91. 2005..Bony fusion of the ankle in functional position. Restitution of a pain-free use of the limb...
- Biomechanical comparison of intramedullary nail and blade plate fixation for tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesisUosife Alfahd
Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada
J Orthop Trauma 19:703-8. 2005OBJECTIVE: Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis is used to manage severe bone loss, arthritis, and/or instability. The goal is to relieve pain through a stable, well-aligned hindfoot and ankle...
- Modification of the SauvÃ©-Kapandji procedure with extensor carpi ulnaris tenodesisA Minami
Section of Hand Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 25:1080-4. 2000..Stabilization of the proximal ulnar stump associated with SauvÃ©-Kapandji procedure is a useful procedure to prevent an unstable ulnar stump in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the distal radioulnar joint...
- [The reorientational rearthrodesis of the upper ankle joint following failed arthrodesis]H Zwipp
Klinik und Poliklinik für Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden
Orthopade 34:1229-37. 2005..CT scanning is the most reliable method for detecting nonunion of the ankle joint after arthrodesis. According to Saltzman, in order to understand the pathology of malunions and nonunions and to plan their ..
- Biomechanical investigation of optimal fixation of isolated talonavicular joint fusionJonathan F Rosenfeld
Biomechanics Lab, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Orthop 34:445-8. 2005..indicated for some patients, including those for whom increased stability of the talonavicular joint in triple arthrodesis is needed...
- The Scandinavian total ankle replacement (STAR)Cindy Pfeiff
Oakland, CA, USA
Orthop Nurs 25:30-3; quiz 34-5. 2006..However, early and midterm data have demonstrated that the Scandinavian Total Ankle Replacement (STAR) or Agility Total Ankle may be a reasonable alternative to an ankle joint fusion...
- Comparison of radiographs and CT scans in the prospective evaluation of the fusion of hindfoot arthrodesisMichael J Coughlin
Idaho Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program, 901 N Curtis Road, Suite 503, Boise, ID 83706, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:780-7. 2006..This prospective study compared radiographs and CT scans for the quantitative evaluation of healing of hindfoot arthrodeses...
- Distal ulnar instability following wrist arthrodesis in menM A Craigen
Department of Upper Limb Surgery, Wrightington Hospital, Wigan, Lancashire, UK
J Hand Surg Br 20:155-8. 199511 male patients with rheumatoid arthritis and 14 with osteoarthritis had total arthrodesis of the wrist...
- Palmar midcarpal instability: results of surgical reconstructionD M Lichtman
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Md 20889 5000
J Hand Surg Am 18:307-15. 1993..Six patients had a limited midcarpal arthrodesis, and nine patients had one of four different soft tissue reconstructive procedures...
- Dynamic scapholunate instability: results of operative treatment with dorsal capsulodesisB I Wintman
Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Surgery Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
J Hand Surg Am 20:971-9. 1995..Our data demonstrate that dorsal radioscaphoid capsulodesis of the wrist in patients with dynamic scapholunate instability provides substantial improvement over preoperative status...
- Imaging of four-corner fusion (SLAC arthrodesis) of the wrist with 64-slice computed tomographyL Ekelund
Department of Radiology, Malmo University Hospital, University of Lund, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
Acta Radiol 48:76-9. 2007To find out whether it is possible to evaluate the healing of wrist arthrodesis, carried out with a metallic spider plate, by means of 64-slice computed tomography (CT).
- Ankle arthrodesis for failed total ankle replacementP Hopgood
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Colney Road, Norwich NR4 7YZ, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1032-8. 2006..Three surgical techniques were used: tibiotalar arthrodesis with screw fixation, tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with screw fixation, and tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis ..
- KINEMATICS AND STABILITY OF THE ARCH OF THE FOOTHarold Kitaoka; Fiscal Year: 2001..Reconstruction operations for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction and flatfoot which do not involve extensive arthrodesis improve foot and ankle function in level walking...
- NIAMS Muiltidisciplinary Clinical Research Center in...Richard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study of Treatment for Discogenic Back Pain: a prospective cohort study will compare patients undergoing lumbar arthrodesis for degenerative discogenic pain with those having non-surgical treatments...
- Spinal Fusion Using Adipose Derived Adult Stem CellsJeffrey Gimble; Fiscal Year: 2005..An intertransverse spinal arthrodesis (L4 and L5) will be used to evaluate the osteogenic ability of syngeneic (Fischer rat derived) subcutaneous ..
- DESIGNED DEGRADABLE INTERBODY CAGESChia Ying Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..and the intermediate- term load carry as well as directed biofactor delivery requirements will provide superior arthrodesis compared to current degradable cages fabricated from designs previously used for titanium cages...
- BIOPHYSICAL DETERMINANTS OF DIABETIC FOOT ULCER HEALINGCharles Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Three-dimensional rate of ulcer healing will be measured with stereophotography and computerized image analysis techniques. ..
- MEASURE OF HUMAN RECEPTOR AND POST-RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, we propose to develop a model of the human ERG that encompasses the activity of the inner nuclear layer as well as the receptors...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE AND ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 1991..Finally, we intend to obtain a better understanding of the relative involvement of the rod and different cone mechanisms in retinitis pigmentosa and in progressive cone dystrophy...
- TESTS OF MODELS OF RETINAL DISEASE ADAPTATIONDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2000..This could be especially valuable in assessing retinal function of patients with heterogeneous damage as in retinitis pigmentosa, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma. ..
- Changes in the Characteristics of Plantar Soft Tissue with DiabetesWILLIAM LEDOUX; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, not only is there a large diabetic population in the United States (> 6%), but they also account for a disproportional amount (>60%) of all non-traumatic lower extremity amputations. ..
- Complications of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis: A Clinical Prediction RuleRichard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A new method for estimating surgical risk will improve patient safety and assist in surgical decision-making, informed consent, monitoring surgical products, & improving quality assessment. ..
- LMP-1 is a critical regulator of BMP signaling and BMP responsivenessScott Boden; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- An Outcome Study of Rheumatoid Hand ArthroplastyKevin Chung; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most importantly, this project will combine the experiences of both surgery and rheumatology services to jointly evaluate this surgical procedure. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Studying models and mechanisms of optic nerve diseasesDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2009..The experiments under Aim 4 are designed to improve on the currently available methods of recording and analyzing the multifocal VEP. The aim is to improve the efficacy of the multifocal VEP technique in the clinic. ..
- Complications of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis: A Clinical Prediction RuleRichard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A new method for estimating surgical risk will improve patient safety and assist in surgical decision-making, informed consent, monitoring surgical products, & improving quality assessment. ..
- Complications of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis: A Clinical Prediction RuleRichard A Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A new method for estimating surgical risk will improve patient safety and assist in surgical decision-making, informed consent, monitoring surgical products, &improving quality assessment. ..
- Tests of Models of Retinal/Optic Nerve Diseases&AdaptionDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2004..Finally, patients with acute optic neuritis will be followed with behavioral and mVEP techniques. An attempt will be made to understand the recovery o vision following optic neuritis (ON). ..
- MEASURE OF RECEPTOR AND POST RECEPTOR ACTIVITYDonald Hood; Fiscal Year: 2002..monkeys in which INL activity is pharmacologically dissected, b. normal human subjects, c. patients with disease of the INL, and d. mathematical work. ..
- REGULATION OF BMP-6 IN EARLY OSTEOBLAST DIFFERENTIATIONScott Boden; Fiscal Year: 2002..An increased understanding of the BMP-6 promoter may lead to strategies involving oligonucleotide therapy or viral-mediated delivery of factors to enhance expression of BMP-6 locally, or in a targeted population of cells. ..