Summary: The surgical fixation of a joint by a procedure designed to accomplish fusion of the joint surfaces by promoting the proliferation of bone cells. (Dorland, 28th ed)
Publications303 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of OP-1 Putty (rhBMP-7) to iliac crest autograft for posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis: a minimum 2-year follow-up pilot studyAlexander R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedics, Thomas Jefferson University, Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2709-16. 2005..A prospective, randomized, controlled, multicenter clinical study...
- Functional and radiographic outcome of sacroiliac arthrodesis for the disorders of the sacroiliac jointJacob M Buchowski
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 600 N Wolfe St, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Spine J 5:520-8; discussion 529. 2005..The sacroiliac joint is known to be a possible cause of chronic low back pain, but the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the sacroiliac joint have been difficult and controversial...
- 1997 Volvo Award winner in clinical studies. Degenerative lumbar spondylolisthesis with spinal stenosis: a prospective, randomized study comparing decompressive laminectomy and arthrodesis with and without spinal instrumentationJ S Fischgrund
William Beaumont Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Royal Oak, Michigan, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 22:2807-12. 1997..Results of recent studies demonstrated that outcomes are significantly improved if posterolateral arthrodesis is performed at the listhesed level...
- Defining substantial clinical benefit following lumbar spine arthrodesisSteven D Glassman
Kenton D Leatherman Spine Center, 210 East Gray Street, Suite 900, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 90:1839-47. 2008..Therefore, we sought to define thresholds of substantial clinical benefit for commonly used health-related quality-of-life measures following lumbar spine arthrodesis.
- Fresh-frozen structural allografts in the foot and ankleMark S Myerson
Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 87:113-20. 2005..These grafts were used in order to restore more normal dimensions of the foot and ankle following surgery or trauma and to treat arthritis or deformity in situations in which conventional cancellous graft would not be sufficient...
- Percutaneous sacroiliac joint arthrodesis: a novel techniqueAhmad Al-khayer
Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, UK
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:359-63. 2008..Consecutive case series...
- Increased rate of arthrodesis with strut grafting after multilevel anterior cervical decompressionAlan S Hilibrand
Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 27:146-51. 2002..Reconstruction techniques after multilevel anterior cervical decompression were retrospectively compared...
- Use of the reamer-irrigator-aspirator technique to obtain autograft for ankle and hindfoot arthrodesisD Herscovici
Florida Orthopaedic Institute, Foot and Ankle Service, 13020 Telecom Parkway, Temple Terrace, Florida 33637, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 94:75-9. 2012..In this study, 28 patients undergoing 30 arthrodesis procedures on the hindfoot had a mean of 48 cm(3) (43 to 50) of bone harvested locally from the hindfoot or the ..
- Primary open reduction and fixation compared with delayed corrective arthrodesis in the treatment of tarsometatarsal (Lisfranc) fracture dislocationS Rammelt
University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 90:1499-506. 2008..years comparing primary open reduction and internal fixation in 22 patients (23 feet) with secondary corrective arthrodesis in 22 patients (22 feet) who presented with painful malunion at a mean of 22 months (1.5 to 45) after injury...
- Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis with retrograde intramedullary nailingRobert W Mendicino
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA 15224, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 43:82-6. 2004..The complication rate was found to be high in diabetic patients with end-stage deformity undergoing a limb salvage..
- The safety and efficacy of OP-1 (rhBMP-7) as a replacement for iliac crest autograft in posterolateral lumbar arthrodesis: a long-term (>4 years) pivotal studyAlexander R Vaccaro
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University and the Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:2850-62. 2008Randomized controlled trial comparing OP-1 (rhBMP-7) with iliac crest autograft in patients with symptomatic degenerative spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis treated with decompression and uninstrumented posterolateral arthrodesis.
- Changes in the rates of joint surgery among patients with rheumatoid arthritis in California, 1983-2007Grant H Louie
Intramural Research Program, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive, MSC 1468, Bethesda, MD 20892 1468, USA
Ann Rheum Dis 69:868-71. 2010..Treatment of patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) has improved markedly over the past 25 years...
- Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a new classification to determine extent of spinal arthrodesisL G Lenke
Department of Orthpaedic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63100, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1169-81. 2001..Furthermore, long-term outcomes cannot be determined because of the great variations in the description of study groups...
- Sacroiliac arthrodesis using a posterior midline fascial splitting approach and pedicle screw instrumentation: a new techniqueT A Belanger
Michigan State University/Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49008, USA
J Spinal Disord 14:118-24. 2001Many techniques for sacroiliac arthrodesis have been described. No single technique is universally accepted as the standard...
- Alternative to the distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis: lateral approach and plate fixationGustavo Mantovani
Faculdade de Medicina do ABC, Santo Andre, SP, Brazil
J Hand Surg Am 33:31-4. 2008Several fixation techniques for distal interphalangeal (DIP) joint arthrodesis have been described, with good clinical results and complication rates between 10% and 20%...
- Ankle arthrodesis with bone graft after distal tibia resection for bone tumorsDomenico Andrea Campanacci
Foot Ankle Int 29:1031-7. 2008Treatment of distal tibial tumors is challenging due to the scarce soft tissue coverage of this area. Ankle arthrodesis has proven to be an effective treatment in primary and post-traumatic joint arthritis, but few papers have addressed ..
- Subtalar distraction bone block arthrodesisH J Trnka
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Br 83:849-54. 2001This retrospective study analyses the results of subtalar bone block distraction arthrodesis used in the treatment of late complications of calcaneal fractures, acute severely comminuted fractures, nonunion (and malunion) of attempted ..
- [Historical development of arthrodesis of pes cavus]M Arabmotlagh
Orthopädische Universitätsklinik Frankfurt, Stiftung Friedrichsheim, Marienburg Str 2, 60528, Frankfurt am Main
Orthopade 35:372, 374-6, 378-9. 2006..This procedure was then introduced as arthrodesis; a word derived from the Greek meaning "binding of the joint"...
- Possible use of arthrodesis for intractable sacroiliitis in spondylarthropathy: report of two casesJ M Berthelot
Rheumatology and Orthopaedic Surgery Units, Nantes University Medical Hospital, Nantes, France
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26:2297-9. 2001Two cases of successful sacroiliac joint arthrodesis for medically intractable aseptic sacroiliitis are reported.
- Arthrodesis of the distal interphalangeal joint: description of a new technique and clinical follow-up at 2 yearsL C Olivier
Department of Traumatology, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, St Josefs Hospital, Krankenhausstrasse 13, Cloppenburg, Germany
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 128:307-11. 2008b>Arthrodesis of the distal interphalangeal joint (DIPJ) is an accepted operative procedure to treat osteoarthritis, instability and joint deformity...
- Use of a headless compressive screw for distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis in digits: clinical outcome and review of complicationsJean Paul Brutus
Division of Plastic Surgery, Hôpital Notre Dame du CHUM, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and the Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Division of Hand Surgery, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY, USA
J Hand Surg Am 31:85-9. 2006b>Arthrodesis of the distal interphalangeal joint (DIPJ) or thumb interphalangeal joints can be necessary to treat pain, deformity, or instability associated with arthritis...
- Subtalar distraction arthrodesis using interpositional frozen structural allograftDavid N Garras
Duke Health Center, 3116 N Duke Street, Durham, NC 27704, USA
Foot Ankle Int 29:561-7. 2008Subtalar bone-block distraction arthrodesis using structural autograft carries the risk of donor site morbidity...
- A comparison of patient based outcome following knee arthrodesis for failed total knee arthroplasty and revision knee arthroplastyT M Barton
Avon Orthopaedic Centre, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, BS10 5NB, England, UK
Knee 15:98-100. 2008b>Arthrodesis of the knee is an infrequently performed operation perceived by both patient and surgeon to have a poor outcome...
- Quality of life 20 years after arthrodesis of the ankle. A study of adjacent jointsS Fuchs
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Munster, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:994-8. 2003..01), but no significant correlation between the radiological score and the SF-36 score. Arthrodesis of the ankle leads to deficits in the functional outcome, to limitations in the activities of daily living and ..
- [Subtalar arthrodesis with calcaneal osteotomy]H Zwipp
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitatsklinikum Dresden, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307, Dresden
Orthopade 35:387-98, 400-4. 2006..For type I with posttraumatic arthritis of the subtalar joint and without malalignement, an in situ-arthrodesis is suitable...
- Resection arthrodesis of the ankle for aggressive tumors of the distal tibia in childrenScharycki Stéphane
Saint Vincent de Paul Hospital, University of Paris René Descartes Paris V, Paris Cedex, France
J Pediatr Orthop 29:811-6. 2009..There is no consensus on the ideal treatment for malignant tumors of the distal tibia. Many favor amputation...
- Limited intertarsal arthrodesis using bone grafting and pin fixationS S Lin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, New Jersey Medical School, UMDNJ Newark, 07103, USA
Foot Ankle Int 21:742-8. 2000..The authors demonstrated comparable results to previously published series using other methods of fixation...
- First metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis as a treatment for failed hallux valgus surgeryJerry Speight Grimes
Texas Tech Department of Orthopaedics, Lubbock, TX, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:887-93. 2006The results of first metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint arthrodesis as a specific treatment for failed hallux valgus correction has not been previously reported...
- First metatarsophalangeal arthrodesisJohn W Womack
Piedmont Orthopaedic Associates, 35 International Drive, Greenville, SC 29615, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 14:43-50. 2009b>Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint is a highly successful treatment for patients with symptomatic hallux rigidus who have failed conservative management...
- Six-year outcomes of anterior lumbar interbody arthrodesis with use of interbody fusion cages and recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2J Kenneth Burkus
The Hughston Clinic, Columbus, GA 31908, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:1181-9. 2009..for patients with degenerative lumbar disc disease who were treated with stand-alone anterior lumbar interbody arthrodesis with use of dual tapered interbody fusion cages and recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2...
- Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with a headless compression screw: morphometric and functional analysesJoo Hyoun Song
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, St Vincent Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 93 Ji dong, Paldal Gu, Suwon 442 723, Korea
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 132:663-9. 2012..distal and middle phalanges in volunteers to determine the size of a headless compression screw suitable for distal interphalangeal (DIP) joint arthrodesis in Korean subjects and report on clinical results using an acutrak fusion screw.
- Four-corner arthrodesis--does the source of graft affect bony union rate? Iliac crest versus distal radius bone graftH B Kitzinger
Medical University of Vienna, Department for Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vienna, Austria
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 65:379-83. 2012Four-corner arthrodesis is an accepted surgical option for treatment of scapholunate advanced collapse, scaphoid non-union advanced collapse and midcarpal instability...
- Kinematic changes after fusion and total replacement of the ankle: part 1: Range of motionVictor Valderrabano
University of Basel, Clinic of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kantonsspital, Basel, Switzerland
Foot Ankle Int 24:881-7. 2003..The three-dimensional range of motion (ROM) of the ankle joint complex, before and after ankle arthrodesis and after implantation of three currently used total ankle prostheses, was investigated.
- Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis for degenerative osteoarthritis with compression screw: results in 102 digitsFederico Villani
U O Chirurgia Plastica IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, Piazza E Malan, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Italy
J Hand Surg Am 37:1330-4. 2012To assess objective and subjective outcomes of distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis with a headless compression screw for degenerative osteoarthritis.
- Functional outcomes and gait analysis of patients after periacetabular sarcoma resection with and without ischiofemoral arthrodesisEmily E Carmody Soni
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Surg Oncol 106:844-9. 2012..The purpose of this study is to evaluate gait parameters and functional outcome in patients whom have undergone periacetabular resections with either an ischiofemoral pseudoarthrodesis or soft tissue reconstruction only...
- A biomechanical evaluation of a Hybrid Dynamic Compression Plate and a CastLess Arthrodesis Plate for pancarpal arthrodesis in dogsRichard L Meeson
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Royal Veterinary College, London University, UK
Vet Surg 41:738-44. 2012..mechanical differences between two plates with different requirements for supplementary casting after pancarpal arthrodesis (PCA): the Veterinary Instrumentation Hybrid Dynamic Compression Plate (HDCP), and the OrthoMed CastLess ..
- The subtalar distraction bone block arthrodesis following the late complications of calcaneal fractures: a systematic reviewT Schepers
Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Department of Surgery Traumatology, The Netherlands
Foot (Edinb) 23:39-44. 2013..In case of malalignment due to loss of height and varus deformity a reconstructive arthrodesis is necessary...
- Percutaneous arthrodesis of small joints in the hand. A minimum three-year follow-upK Mader
Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, St Vinzenz Hospital, Cologne, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:1016-8. 2003Our aim in this prospective study was to evaluate a minimally invasive technique for percutaneous arthrodesis of the small joints in the hand. Thirteen arthrodeses were undertaken in 11 patients, eight women and three men...
- Risk factors for postoperative infection following posterior lumbar instrumented arthrodesisStelios Koutsoumbelis
Spine Surgery Service, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:1627-33. 2011..Factors such as posterior surgical approach, arthrodesis, use of spinal instrumentation, age, obesity, diabetes, tobacco use, operating-room environment, and estimated ..
- Steinmann pin arthrodesis for salvage of failed small joint arthroplastyDavid K Mikolyzk
Hand Surgery Specialists, Inc, Cincinnati, OH 45219, USA
J Hand Surg Am 36:1383-7. 2011..We present an intramedullary technique of proximal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis following failed implant arthroplasty...
- The primary arthrodesis for severely comminuted intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus: a systematic reviewT Schepers
Erasmus MC University Medical Centre, Department of Surgery Traumatology, Room H 822k, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Foot Ankle Surg 18:84-8. 2012..The primary aim of the current review study was to assess the functional outcome of the primary arthrodesis in the management of comminuted displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures.
- Distal interphalangeal joint arthrodesis: an analysis of complicationsP J Stern
University of Cincinnati, Ohio
J Hand Surg Am 17:1139-45. 1992..Minor complications (dorsal skin necrosis, cold intolerance, proximal interphalangeal joint stiffness, paresthesias, superficial wound infection, and prominent hardware) occurred in 16% of the joints fused...
- Tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis with posterior blade plate in diabetic neuroarthropthyMurat Cinar
Baskent University, Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Adana Education and Research Hospital, Dadaloglu Mah, 39 SK, No 6, Yuregir, Adana, Turkey
Foot Ankle Int 31:511-6. 2010..As a salvage procedure, we have used a 95-degree-angled blade plate via a posterior approach to achieve tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis.
- Functional outcome of arthrodesis with a vascularized fibular graft and a rotational latissimus dorsi flap after proximal humerus sarcoma resectionJin Wang
Muskulaskeletal Oncology Department, First Affiliated Hospital of Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
Ann Surg Oncol 18:1852-9. 2011..The prognosis of humeral sarcomas has improved greatly in the past 20 years. As a result, the challenges for orthopedic oncologists include long-term handicap and local morbidity...
- Posterior approach for thoracolumbar corpectomies with expandable cage placement and circumferential arthrodesis: a multicenter case series of 67 patientsChristoph P Hofstetter
Weill Cornell Brain and Spine Center, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Neurosurg Spine 14:388-97. 2011..The purpose of this multicenter trial was to investigate the outcome and durability of a single-stage thoracolumbar corpectomy using expandable cages via a posterior approach...
- Arthroscopic triple arthrodesis in patients with Müller Weiss diseaseT H Lui
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, North District Hospital, 9 Po Kin Road, Sheung Shui, NT, Hong Kong SAR, China
Foot Ankle Surg 15:119-22. 2009..We review the result of six patients treated by arthroscopic triple arthrodesis.
- Ankle/hindfoot arthrodesis in rheumatoid arthritis improves kinematics and kinetics of the knee and hip: a prospective gait analysis studyR J Weiss
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1024-8. 2007To evaluate the effects of ankle/hindfoot arthrodesis in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients on gait pattern of the knee and hip.
- Enhancement of graft bone healing by intermittent administration of human parathyroid hormone (1-34) in a rat spinal arthrodesis modelYuichiro Abe
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Kita 15 Nishi 7, Sapporo, Japan
Bone 41:775-85. 2007..Therefore, we used a rat spinal arthrodesis model to examine whether intermittent administration of human PTH(1-34) accelerates bone graft healing...
- Scaphotrapeziotrapezoid arthrodesis for arthritisRonit Wollstein
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, 200 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213 2582, USA
Hand Clin 21:539-43, vi. 2005..This article discusses the authors' surgical technique and results. The authors believe this procedure is a viable one in specific clinical scenarios...
- Femoral shaft fracture in a hip arthrodesis: two cases of retrograde interlocking nailingT C Wong
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608
Singapore Med J 45:85-7. 2004..We report two cases in which both patients had an arthrodesis of the hip and subsequently suffered a femoral shaft fracture distal to the implant...
- Salvage arthrodesis for failed total ankle arthroplastyH Cornelis Doets
Department of Orthopedics, Slotervaartziekenhuis, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 81:142-7. 2010Total ankle arthroplasty (TAA) has gained popularity in recent years. If it fails, however, salvage arthrodesis must be reliable as a rescue procedure...
- Comparison of radiographs and CT scans in the prospective evaluation of the fusion of hindfoot arthrodesisMichael J Coughlin
Idaho Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program, 901 N Curtis Road, Suite 503, Boise, ID 83706, USA
Foot Ankle Int 27:780-7. 2006..This prospective study compared radiographs and CT scans for the quantitative evaluation of healing of hindfoot arthrodeses...
- Use of demineralized bone matrix in ankle/hindfoot fusionDavid B Thordarson
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angles, CA 90033, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:557-60. 2003..We found no difference in efficacy of the two demineralized bone matrix compounds, and were not able to demonstrate a superior union rate compared to historical controls...
- Long-term results of KienbÃ¶ck's disease treated by triscaphe arthrodesis and excisional arthroplasty with a coiled palmaris longus tendonA Minami
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Hokkaido University School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Hand Surg Am 19:219-28. 1994Fifteen patients with KienbÃ¶ck's disease were treated with scaphotrapeziotrapezoidal arthrodesis and lunate excisional arthroplasty with a coiled palmaris longus tendon replacement...
- The use of tricortical autograft versus allograft in lateral column lengthening for adult acquired flatfoot deformity: an analysis of union rates and complicationsKathleen M Grier
GIKK Ortho Specialists, Omaha, NE 68124, USA
Foot Ankle Int 31:760-9. 2010..usual choices include lengthening with the use of autograft or allograft through a calcaneocuboid lengthening arthrodesis or Evans' calcaneal lengthening osteotomy...
- The results of utilizing proximal tibial bone graft in reconstructive procedures of the foot and ankleNelson F SooHoo
UCLA School of Medicine, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 10945 Le Conte Avenue, PVUB 3355, Los Angeles, CA 90095, United States
Foot Ankle Surg 14:62-6. 2008..The purpose of this study is to determine the clinical rate of bony healing following the use of proximal tibial bone graft in foot and ankle procedures...
- Arthrodesis of the talonavicular-cuneiform joints in Müller-Weiss diseaseP Fernandez de Retana
Foot Unit, Department of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Institut Clínic de l Aparell Locomotor, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, C Villarroel, 170 Barcelona, Spain
Foot Ankle Clin 9:65-72. 2004..TNC arthrodesis is a safe and effective technique for the treatment of the MWD and can be performed with a dorsal or medial ..
- Posttraumatic severe infection of the ankle joint - long term results of the treatment with resection arthrodesis in 133 casesBenjamin Kienast
BG Trauma Center Hamburg, Bergedorfer Str 10, 21033 Hamburg, Germany
Eur J Med Res 15:54-8. 2010Although there is a clear trend toward internal fixation for ankle arthrodesis, there is general consensus that external fixation is required for cases of posttraumatic infection...
- Arthrodesis compared to Mayo resection of the first metatarsophalangeal joint in total rheumatoid forefoot reconstructionLollo Grondal
The Redcross Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Rehabilitation, Brinellvagen 2, Stockholm, S 114 28 Sweden
Foot Ankle Int 26:135-9. 2005Painful forefoot deformity from rheumatoid arthritis can be treated with resection of the lesser metatarsal heads combined with either resection or arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint.
- Tarsometatarsal arthrodesis for management of unstable first ray and failed bunion surgeryNorman Espinosa
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Zurich, Balgrist, Forchstrasse 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Foot Ankle Clin 16:21-34. 2011This article focuses on arthrodesis of the first tarsometatarsal joint as the primary intervention to treat hypermobility of the first ray or as a salvage procedure to treat prior failed bunion surgery and provides a concise review ..
- Posterior atlanto-axial arthrodesis for fixation of odontoid nonunionsPatrick Platzer
Department of Traumatology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel, Vienna, Austria
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 33:624-30. 2008..A retrospective case series...
- A comparative study of wire fixation and screw fixation in arthrodesis for the correction of hallux rigidus using an in vitro biomechanical modelAdnan A Faraj
Airedale General Hospital, Department of Orthopaedics, Skipton Road, Keighley, West Yorkshire BD20 6TD, and Medical Engineering Department, Biomechanical Laboratory, University of Bradford, United Kingdom
Foot Ankle Int 28:89-91. 2007b>Arthrodesis of the great toe metatarsophalangeal joint for osteoarthritis usually involves internal fixation. Ideally, the fixation method should be reproducible, leading to a high rate of fusion and minimal complications.
- [Tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis using a retrograde nail locked in the sagittal plane]R Vesely
Urazová nemocnice Brno, Klinika traumatologie LF MU, Brno
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 75:129-33. 2008To evaluate our experience with the use of a retrograde nail locked in the sagittal plane for tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesis indicated in severe post-traumatic arthritis of the ankle.
- The effect of hindfoot realignment in triple arthrodesisBrandon J Child
Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 48:285-93. 2009Triple arthrodesis is a useful form of surgical intervention for repair of advanced hindfoot deformity...
- [Arthrodesis after total knee arthroplasty considering septic loosening as an example]T von Stein
BG Unfallklinik, Prof Küntscher Strasse 8, 82418, Murnau
Orthopade 35:946, 948-52, 954-5. 2006..Different underlying causes might preclude the reimplantation of an endoprosthesis, and knee arthrodesis represents the alternative of first choice to above-knee amputation...
- Treatment of severe, painful pes planovalgus deformity with hindfoot arthrodesis and wedge-shaped tricortical allograftLoretta B Chou
Stanford University Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, 300 Pasteur Drive, Room R111, MC 5341, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:569-74. 2007This study tested the hypothesis that modification of the standard technique of hindfoot arthrodesis with the use of a wedge-shaped tricortical allograft would improve the amount of correction of pes planovalgus deformity...
- Modified lapidus arthrodesis: rate of nonunion in 227 casesSandeep Patel
San Francisco Bay Area Foot and Ankle Residency Program, Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA
J Foot Ankle Surg 43:37-42. 2004Several studies of Lapidus arthrodesis have commented on the rate of nonunion (ranging from 3.3% to 12.0%), although these figures are based on relatively small patient populations...
- Retrospective study of cervical arthrodesis in patients with various types of skeletal dysplasiaMichael C Ain
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:E169-74. 2006..Retrospective prognostic study...
- The evolution of rhPDGF-BB in musculoskeletal repair and its role in foot and ankle fusion surgeryChristopher W DiGiovanni
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Warren Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02904, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 15:621-40. 2010..The most recent data from prospective clinical trials evaluating the use of rhPDGF-BB in combination with beta tricalcium phosphate as a substitute for autogenous bone graft in hindfoot and ankle arthrodesis are also summarized.
- Kinematic changes after fusion and total replacement of the ankle: part 2: Movement transferVictor Valderrabano
University of Basel, Clinic of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kantonsspital, Basel, Switzerland
Foot Ankle Int 24:888-96. 2003..in vitro study was to determine the biomechanical characteristics of the ankle based on the movement transfer between foot and leg before and after ankle arthrodesis, and after implantation of three currently used total ankle prostheses.
- Treatment of stage 3 adult acquired flatfootI P Kelly
Division of Orthopaedic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 6:153-66. 2001..Nonoperative management results in limited success. Corrective fusion is the treatment of choice. Although a variety of arthrodeses have been employed, triple arthrodesis remains the gold standard.
- Radial styloid impingement after triscaphe arthrodesisW D Rogers
Connecticut Combined Hand Service, Hartford Hospital, University of Connecticut
J Hand Surg Am 14:297-301. 1989Painful radial styloid impingement after a successful triscaphe arthrodesis has been seen a number of times in a review of our patients undertaken to study this problem...
- Resection arthrodesis for primary bone tumour about the kneeM K Kwan
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Malaya Medical Center, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 60:66-71. 2005..Resection-arthrodesis is an alternative option for young vigorous patients facing circumstances of financial constrain or limited ..
- The effect of cigarette smoking on hindfoot fusionsSusan N Ishikawa
Campbell Clinic University of Tennessee, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Memphis, TN, USA
Foot Ankle Int 23:996-8. 2002..1%) than patients who had never smoked, but not as high as those who continued to smoke. There was no statistical difference in the rate of infection or delayed wound healing among the groups...
- Treatment of Kienbock's disease with capitohamate arthrodesis: pain relief with minimal morbidityScott N Oishi
Department of Hand Surgery, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital, Dallas, Texas 75219, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 109:1293-300. 2002..The authors conclude that capitohamate arthrodesis relieves pain in 93 percent of patients with stage 1, 2, or 3 Kienbock's disease and is an effective treatment ..
- Primary tibiotalocalcaneal arthrodesisKalpesh S Shah
Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, St Paul s Hospital, 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6, Canada
Foot Ankle Clin 16:115-36. 2011Tibiotalocalcaneal (TTC) arthrodesis is a salvage operation to treat a difficult problem; normal function is not expected with arthrodesis of these 2 major joints...
- Screw fixation compared to H-locking plate fixation for first metatarsocuneiform arthrodesis: a biomechanical studyDavid A Cohen
Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 26:984-9. 2005Several different techniques have been used for fixation of first metatarsocuneiform (MTC) joint arthrodesis, a standard treatment for arthritis, instability, and deformity of the MTC joint...
- [Ankle arthrodesis using the cable technique]Reiner Labitzke
Chirurgische Klinik der Universität Witten Herdecke, Zum Mühlenberg 59, D 58239 Schwerte, Germany
Oper Orthop Traumatol 17:392-406. 2005b>Arthrodesis of the ankle with a cable technique for restitution of pain-free gait with the foot in functional alignment.
- Use of bone morphogenetic proteins in arthrodesis: clinical resultsNikolaos K Kanakaris
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, Great George Street, Leeds LS1 3EX, UK
Injury 40:S62-6. 2009Bone grafting is not routinely required in primary arthrodesis in the absence of infection, avascular necrosis, bone defect or previous non-union; when any of the above factors is present, autograft is the gold-standard method...
- First metatarsal-phalangeal joint arthrodesis: a biomechanical assessment of stabilityJoel Politi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio 44309, USA
Foot Ankle Int 24:332-7. 2003First metatarsal phalangeal joint (MTP) arthrodesis is a commonly performed procedure for the treatment of hallux rigidus, severe and recurrent bunion deformities, rheumatoid arthritis and other less common disorders of the joint...
- Outcome of Ilizarov ankle arthrodesisSharon Eylon
Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, Orthopedic Surgery, Ein Karem, Jerusalem, Israel
Foot Ankle Int 28:873-9. 2007Many operative techniques have been described for ankle arthrodesis, with varying fusion rates. In revisions, the fusion rate is lower than in primary arthrodesis...
- Arthrodesis of the infected ankle and subtalar joint: technique, indications, and results of 45 consecutive casesD Richter
Department of Surgery, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Kliniken Bergmannsheil, Trauma Center, School of Medicine, University of Bochum, Germany
J Trauma 47:1072-8. 1999To analyze the results of 45 patients after ankle arthrodesis in the presence of joint infection.
- Intra-articular neuropathic fracture of the calcaneal body treated by open reduction and subtalar arthrodesisJ T Campbell
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Foot Ankle Int 22:440-4. 2001..Following control of the acute Charcot process with total contact casting, surgical reduction and subtalar arthrodesis was performed to stabilize the hindfoot and decrease the risk of recurrent ulceration...
- Anterior cervical allograft arthrodesis and instrumentation: multilevel interbody grafting or strut graft reconstructionM L Swank
Research Institute International, Gainesville, FL 32605, USA
Eur Spine J 6:138-43. 1997..patients treated by multilevel cervical disc excision (two or three levels), allograft tricortical iliac crest arthrodesis, and anterior instrumentation...
- Failure of external spinal skeletal fixation to improve predictability of lumbar arthrodesisD A Bednar
Department of Surgery, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1656-9. 2001BACKGROUND: Whether lumbar arthrodesis can relieve isolated low-back pain in the absence of focal neurological findings or instability is unclear...
- Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint: a biomechanical study comparing memory compression staples, cannulated screws, and a dorsal plateSteven K Neufeld
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, The Union Memorial Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA
Foot Ankle Int 23:97-101. 2002b>Arthrodesis of the first metatarsophalangeal joint of 21 matched pairs of cadaver toes was performed in order to compare the strength of three methods of internal fixation: 1. two crossed cannulated screws, 2...
- Technique and short-term results of ankle arthrodesis using anterior platingAly Mohamedean
Orthopedic Department, Assiut University Hospital, Assiut, Egypt
Int Orthop 34:833-7. 2010Clinical and biomechanical trials have shown that rigid internal fixation during ankle arthrodesis leads to increased rates of union and is associated with a reduced infection rate, union time, discomfort and earlier mobilisation ..
- Anterior plate supplementation increases ankle arthrodesis construct rigidityIvan S Tarkin
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Orthopaedics, Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE, USA
Foot Ankle Int 28:219-23. 2007The success of ankle arthrodesis for the treatment of post-traumatic ankle arthritis depends on achieving and maintaining rigid fixation of the prepared tibiotalar interface...
- Ankle arthrodesisAneel Nihal
Southside Health Service District, Logan Hospital, South Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Foot Ankle Surg 14:1-10. 2008Numerous techniques for ankle arthrodesis have been reported since the original description of compression arthrodesis. From the early 1950s to the mid 1970s, external fixation was the dominant technique utilized...
- The anatomic compression arthrodesis technique with anterior plate augmentation for ankle arthrodesisMichael P Clare
Division of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Florida Orthopaedic Institute, 13020 Telecom Parkway North, Tampa, FL 33637, USA
Foot Ankle Clin 16:91-101. 2011The anatomic compression arthrodesis technique with anterior plate augmentation is an effective technique that results in a high union rate, improved functional outcome, and an acceptable complication rate...
- Arthrodesis of the ankle in the presence of a large deformity in the coronal planeR Smith
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Wrightington Hospital, Hall Lane, Appley Bridge, Lancashire, Wigan WN6 9EP, UK
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:615-9. 2007..patients (25 ankles) with osteoarthritis of the ankle and severe varus or valgus deformity were treated by open arthrodesis using compression screws...
- Wrist arthrodesis in cerebral palsyAnn E Van Heest
University of Minnesota, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
J Hand Surg Am 34:1216-24. 2009Cerebral palsy patients with spastic wrist deformities can be treated with wrist arthrodesis to improve appearance, hygiene, and function...
- Arthrodesis of the trapeziometacarpal joint for basal joint osteoarthritis of the thumb: the importance of obtaining osseous unionL De Smet
Hand Unit, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Hospital Pellenberg and Gasthuisberg, Weligerveld 1, 3212 Lubbeek, Pellenberg, Belgium
Chir Main 24:222-4. 2005..The carpometacarpal arthrodesis should provide stability, strength and resolution of pain. There is however some controversy on the outcome.
- Adult acquired flexible flatfoot, treated by calcaneocuboid distraction arthrodesis, posterior tibial tendon augmentation, and percutaneous Achilles tendon lengthening: a prospective outcome study of 20 patientsArie van der Krans
Department of Orthopaedics, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Acta Orthop 77:156-63. 2006..Several methods for the treatment of acquired flexible flatfoot have been described...
- Scapholunate advanced collapse wrist: proximal row carpectomy or limited wrist arthrodesis with scaphoid excision?M M Tomaino
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, PA
J Hand Surg Am 19:134-42. 1994Proximal row carpectomy (PRC) and limited intercarpal arthrodesis with scaphoid excision (LWF) are useful alternatives to wrist arthrodesis for treatment of degenerative wrist disorders secondary to scapholunate advanced collapse...
- Comparison of proximal row carpectomy and midcarpal arthrodesis for the treatment of scaphoid nonunion advanced collapse (SNAC-wrist) and scapholunate advanced collapse (SLAC-wrist) in stage IIAndreas K Dacho
Department of ENT and Plastic Surgery, University of Leipzig, Liebigstr 10 14, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 61:1210-8. 2008..Proximal row carpectomy (PRC) and midcarpal arthrodesis (MCA) are two commonly used options...
- Degenerative arthritis of the wrist: proximal row carpectomy versus scaphoid excision and four-corner arthrodesisM S Cohen
Hand and Elbow Program, The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush Presbyterian St Luke s Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
J Hand Surg Am 26:94-104. 2001..of 19 patients from separate institutions performing exclusively either a scaphoid excision and 4-corner arthrodesis (lunate, capitate, hamate, and triquetrum) or proximal row carpectomy (PRC) for scapholunate advanced collapse ..
- Use of a retrograde nail for ankle arthrodesis in Charcot neuroarthropathy: a limb salvage procedureLuca Dalla Paola
Abano Terme Hospital, Diabetic Foot Department, Piazza Cristoforo Columbo 1, Abano Terme, Padova 35031, Italy
Foot Ankle Int 28:967-70. 2007..b>Arthrodesis before the ulcerated lesion appears is considered a limb salvage treatment...
- Reconstructive surgery for complete talus extrusion using the sandwich block arthrodesis: a report of 2 casesHeiko Koller
Department of Traumatology and Reconstructive Surgery, Katharinenhospital, Stuttgart, Germany
J Foot Ankle Surg 46:493-8. 2007..In this report, we present 2 cases of total talus extrusion treated with the sandwich block tibiocalcaneal arthrodesis with structural autografts harvested from iliac crest...
- Arthroscopic arthrodesis of the shoulder: a report of two casesAbeer Syal
Department of Surgery, Section of Orthopedic Surgery, University of Manitoba, Health Sciences Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
J Shoulder Elbow Surg 17:e23-5. 2008
- Shoulder arthrodesisD J Clare
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:593-600. 2001Current indications for shoulder arthrodesis include posttraumatic brachial plexus injuries, paralysis of the deltoid muscle and rotator cuff, chronic infection, failed revision arthroplasty, severe refractory instability, and bone ..
- Foot Bone Motion in End Stage Ankle Arthritis PatientsWilliam R Ledoux; Fiscal Year: 2012..Until fairly recently, the "gold standard" for treatment ESAA has been an ankle arthrodesis (i.e., a fusion). However, recent improvements in the long-term viability of ankle arthroplasty (i.e...
- Comparing ankle arthrodesis to ankle arthroplastyBruce Sangeorzan; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The purpose of this research is to compare arthrodesis with arthroplasty in the treatment of end stage ankle arthritis (ESAA) via Randomized Controlled Trial (RCT)...
- The one year trajectory of elderly patients after cervical spine fractureZara Cooper; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, there is litle consensus as to the best course of treatment for elderly patients, either surgical arthrodesis or fixation, or immobilization with a halo or cervical collar...
- Bioactive Peptide Coatings for Synthetic Bone GraftsJonathan A Hodges; Fiscal Year: 2013..can not only reduce or replace the need for harvest of autogenous bone but also accelerate the rate of fusion (arthrodesis)...
- KINEMATICS AND STABILITY OF THE ARCH OF THE FOOTHarold Kitaoka; Fiscal Year: 2001..Reconstruction operations for posterior tibial tendon dysfunction and flatfoot which do not involve extensive arthrodesis improve foot and ankle function in level walking...
- Spinal Fusion Using Adipose Derived Adult Stem CellsJeffrey Gimble; Fiscal Year: 2005..An intertransverse spinal arthrodesis (L4 and L5) will be used to evaluate the osteogenic ability of syngeneic (Fischer rat derived) subcutaneous ..
- NIAMS Muiltidisciplinary Clinical Research Center in...Richard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2006..Study of Treatment for Discogenic Back Pain: a prospective cohort study will compare patients undergoing lumbar arthrodesis for degenerative discogenic pain with those having non-surgical treatments...
- DESIGNED DEGRADABLE INTERBODY CAGESChia Ying Lin; Fiscal Year: 2007..and the intermediate- term load carry as well as directed biofactor delivery requirements will provide superior arthrodesis compared to current degradable cages fabricated from designs previously used for titanium cages...
- PDGF-Treated Demineralized Bone Matrix for Spinal FusionKathy Traianedes; Fiscal Year: 2001The long term clinical objective of this proposal is to obtain biological enhancement of posterolateral spinal arthrodesis using a specific recombinant human growth factor (GF)-treated demineralized bone matrix (DBM)...
- SUSTAINED DELIVERY OF OSTEOINDUCTION FACTORSEDWARD POPE; Fiscal Year: 2000..silica gel encapsulated generically altered BMP producing cells can be utilized to heal fractures and provide arthrodesis (preclinical efficacy)...
- Harvesting of Iliac Autogeneous Cancellous BoneABED KANAAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..this tool and increased familarity among surgeons, the use for this tool could be expanded to include harvesting of bone and bone marrow to treat acute fractures, fracture nonunions, bone defects, and to achieve therapeutic arthrodesis.
- Tissue Engineering Utilizing BMP Gene TherapyGREGORY HELM; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- BIOPHYSICAL DETERMINANTS OF DIABETIC FOOT ULCER HEALINGCharles Saltzman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Three-dimensional rate of ulcer healing will be measured with stereophotography and computerized image analysis techniques. ..
- Effect of vertebral endplate composition on disc healthFrank Acosta; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- FGF-Silyl-Heparin Cerebral Aneurysm CoilsPAUL ZAMORA; Fiscal Year: 2002..The Phase I studies will develop the coated coils and perform initial animal evaluations. ..
- Thromboresistant vascular grafts:heparin-peptidomimeticsPAUL ZAMORA; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Expandable Shape-Memory Polymers for Suture AnchorsCHRISTOPHER YAKACKI; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will provide a means to restore function to their shoulders with less occurrence of surgical failure and increase their quality of life. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- 3-D DYNAMIC MOTION SEGMENT BEHAVIORMartin Krag; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Osteolysis and Implant Wear: Biological, Biomedical Engineering, and Surgical PriStuart Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Infusion of Particles at Implant interfecesStuart Goodman; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Development of a Spinal Intervertebral Disc ProsthesisGLENN BUTTERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective of Phase I is to demonstrate that the device restores normal spine biomechanics (range of motion and stiffness) and is durable in fatigue testing. ..
- Complications of Surgery for Spinal Stenosis: A Clinical Prediction RuleRichard A Deyo; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: A new method for estimating surgical risk will improve patient safety and assist in surgical decision-making, informed consent, monitoring surgical products, &improving quality assessment. ..
- REGULATION OF BMP-6 IN EARLY OSTEOBLAST DIFFERENTIATIONScott Boden; Fiscal Year: 2002..An increased understanding of the BMP-6 promoter may lead to strategies involving oligonucleotide therapy or viral-mediated delivery of factors to enhance expression of BMP-6 locally, or in a targeted population of cells. ..
- Changes in the Characteristics of Plantar Soft Tissue with DiabetesWILLIAM LEDOUX; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, not only is there a large diabetic population in the United States (> 6%), but they also account for a disproportional amount (>60%) of all non-traumatic lower extremity amputations. [unreadable] [unreadable]..