- Low-carbohydrate diets: nutritional and physiological aspects
Cerestar R and D Vilvoorde Center, Havenstraat 84, 1800 Vilvoorde, Belgium
Obes Rev 7:49-58. 2006
..The latter findings support the need to do more research on this type of hypocaloric low-carbohydrate diet...
- Effect of exercise intensity on abdominal fat loss during calorie restriction in overweight and obese postmenopausal women: a randomized, controlled trial
Barbara J Nicklas
Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, J Paul Sticht Center on Aging, Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1043-52. 2009
..Exercise intensity may affect the selective loss of abdominal adipose tissue...
- A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity
Frederick F Samaha
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2074-81. 2003
..The effects of a carbohydrate-restricted diet on weight loss and risk factors for atherosclerosis have been incompletely assessed...
- Systematic review: an evaluation of major commercial weight loss programs in the United States
Adam Gilden Tsai
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:56-66. 2005
..Controlled trials are needed to assess the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of these interventions...
- Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN diets for change in weight and related risk factors among overweight premenopausal women: the A TO Z Weight Loss Study: a randomized trial
Christopher D Gardner
Stanford Prevention Research Center and the Department of Medicine, Stanford University Medical School, Stanford, Calif, USA
JAMA 297:969-77. 2007
..Popular diets, particularly those low in carbohydrates, have challenged current recommendations advising a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet for weight loss. Potential benefits and risks have not been tested adequately...
- Reducing diet and/or exercise training decreases the lipid and lipoprotein risk factors of moderately obese women
David C Nieman
Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina 28608, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 21:344-50. 2002
..This study was designed to measure the influence of diet, exercise or both on serum lipids and lipoproteins in obese women...
- Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates
Frank M Sacks
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, USA
N Engl J Med 360:859-73. 2009
..The possible advantage for weight loss of a diet that emphasizes protein, fat, or carbohydrates has not been established, and there are few studies that extend beyond 1 year...
- Long-term weight-loss maintenance: a meta-analysis of US studies
J W Anderson
VA Medical Center, Graduate Center for Nutritional Sciences, University of Kentucky Health Management Resources Weight Management Program, Lexington, KY, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 74:579-84. 2001
..Current perception is that participants of a structured weight-loss program regain all of their weight loss within 5 y...
- Improvements in glucose tolerance and insulin action induced by increasing energy expenditure or decreasing energy intake: a randomized controlled trial
Edward P Weiss
Division of Geriatrics and Nutritional Sciences, Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1033-42. 2006
..However, it does not appear that exercise training-induced weight loss results in greater improvements than those that result from calorie restriction alone...
- Weight loss effect on inflammation and LDL oxidation in metabolically healthy but obese (MHO) individuals: low inflammation and LDL oxidation in MHO women
Yonsei Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:1529-34. 2006
..However, there was no measurable effect of weight loss on lipid profiles and inflammation in MHO individuals, indicating differing effects of weight loss on these markers between MAO and MHO groups...
- The National Weight Control Registry: a critique
Department of Nutritional Sciences and Toxicology, University of California, Berkeley 94720 3104, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 37:203-5. 2005
..We advocate the adoption of a health-at-every-size (HAES) approach to weight management, focusing on the achievement and maintenance of lifestyle changes that improve metabolic indicators of health...
- The role of meal replacements in obesity treatment
J B Keogh
Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Obes Rev 6:229-34. 2005
..Meal replacements for weight loss are available in the community; however, their efficacy in the longer term is not clear. This review summarizes recent evidence on the use of meal replacements as a weight loss strategy...
- The effects of low-carbohydrate versus conventional weight loss diets in severely obese adults: one-year follow-up of a randomized trial
Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, and Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Ann Intern Med 140:778-85. 2004
..Weight loss was similar between groups, but effects on atherogenic dyslipidemia and glycemic control were still more favorable with a low-carbohydrate diet after adjustment for differences in weight loss...
- Tackling obesity in men -- preliminary evaluation of men-only groups within a commercial slimming organization
Nutrition Department, Slimming World, Somercotes, Alfreton, Derbyshire, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 18:391-4. 2005
..There should be a move to get away from the mis-perception that slimming groups are only for women and raise awareness of the commercial option to men...
- A comparison of meal replacements and medication in weight maintenance after weight loss
James D LeCheminant
Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management, The University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas 66045, USA
J Am Coll Nutr 24:347-53. 2005
..Meal replacements may be a viable alternative strategy to medications for weight maintenance...
- Efficacy of lifestyle education to prevent type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
Department of Technology Assessment and Biostatistics, National Institute of Public Health, 2 3 6 minami, Wako, Saitama 351 0197, Japan
Diabetes Care 28:2780-6. 2005
- Systematic review of long-term weight loss studies in obese adults: clinical significance and applicability to clinical practice
J D Douketis
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton, Canada
Int J Obes (Lond) 29:1153-67. 2005
- The effect of metformin and intensive lifestyle intervention on the metabolic syndrome: the Diabetes Prevention Program randomized trial
Trevor J Orchard
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, The Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:611-9. 2005
..Both lifestyle intervention and metformin therapy reduced the development of the syndrome in the remaining participants...
- A review of low-carbohydrate ketogenic diets
Eric C Westman
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Box 50, Suite 200 B Wing, 2200 West Main Street, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Curr Atheroscler Rep 5:476-83. 2003
..This review summarizes the physiology and recent clinical studies regarding this type of diet...
- Weight reduction with very-low-caloric diet and endothelial function in overweight adults: role of plasma glucose
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Turku, Finland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:124-8. 2004
..This improvement is related to the reduction in plasma glucose concentration. These observations suggest that changes in glucose metabolism may determine endothelial vasodilatory function in obesity...
- The cost-effectiveness of lifestyle modification or metformin in preventing type 2 diabetes in adults with impaired glucose tolerance
William H Herman
University of Michigan Health System, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Ann Intern Med 142:323-32. 2005
..LIMITATIONS: Simulation results depend on the accuracy of the underlying assumptions, including participant adherence. CONCLUSIONS: Health policy should promote diabetes prevention in high-risk individuals...
- Long-term effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in adults with pre-diabetes: a review
Susan L Norris
Division of Diabetes Translation, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA corrected
Am J Prev Med 28:126-39. 2005
..To assess the effectiveness of weight-loss and weight-control interventions for adults with pre-diabetes (impaired fasting glucose and impaired glucose tolerance), an important risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes...
- Carbohydrate-restricted diets high in either monounsaturated fat or protein are equally effective at promoting fat loss and improving blood lipids
Natalie D Luscombe-Marsh
Department of Medicine, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Am J Clin Nutr 81:762-72. 2005
- Meal replacements are as effective as structured weight-loss diets for treating obesity in adults with features of metabolic syndrome
Commonwealth Scientific industrial Organization, Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000
J Nutr 134:1894-9. 2004
..Dietary compliance and convenience were viewed more favorably by participants who consumed meal replacements than by those in a conventional weight-loss program...
- Diet-induced weight loss is associated with an improvement in beta-cell function in older men
Kristina M Utzschneider
Department of Medicine, Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98108, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2704-10. 2004
..05). Thus, the weight loss-associated improvements in both insulin sensitivity and beta-cell function may explain the beneficial effects of a lifestyle intervention on delaying the development of diabetes in older subjects...
- Effect of orlistat on cardiovascular disease risk in obese adults
B A Swinburn
Department of Community Health, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Diabetes Obes Metab 7:254-62. 2005
..placebo on the predicted 10-year cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk in obese people with one or more cardiovascular risk factors treated for 12 months, in conjunction with a fat-reduced, but otherwise ad libitum, diet...
- Effect of rimonabant, a cannabinoid-1 receptor blocker, on weight and cardiometabolic risk factors in overweight or obese patients: RIO-North America: a randomized controlled trial
F Xavier Pi-Sunyer
Obesity Research Center, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10025, USA
JAMA 295:761-75. 2006
..Rimonabant, a selective cannabinoid-1 receptor blocker, may reduce body weight and improve cardiometabolic risk factors in patients who are overweight or obese...
- A review of low and reduced carbohydrate diets and weight loss in type 2 diabetes
P A Dyson
Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 21:530-8. 2008
..There is very little evidence for any effects of reduced carbohydrate intakes on body weight, glycaemia and cardiovascular risk in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Piloting a behavioral intervention delivered through interactive voice response telephone messages to promote weight loss in a pre-diabetic population
Paul A Estabrooks
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise, Roanoke, VA 24016, United States
Patient Educ Couns 72:34-41. 2008
..To pilot test the feasibility and effectiveness of interactive voice response (IVR) calls targeting physical activity and healthful eating as strategies for weight loss for patients with pre-diabetes...
- A qualitative investigation of individuals' experiences and expectations before and after completing a trial of commercial weight loss programmes
A M Herriot
Centre for Nutrition, Dietetics and Food, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 21:72-80. 2008
..To investigate the previous dieting experiences and expectations of individuals enrolled in a randomized trial of four commercial weight loss programmes and post-intervention to compare experiences across the diet groups...
- Disordered eating cognitions and behaviours among slimming organization competition winners
G C Green
Social Community and Health Studies, Obesity and Eating Disorders Research Unit, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 21:31-8. 2008
..A percentage of members achieve dramatic and lasting weight losses. The study aimed to evaluate the prevalence of binge eating and unhealthy eating-related thought patterns among a group of highly successful weight losers...
- Impact of fish intake on oxidative stress when included into a moderate energy-restricted program to treat obesity
Institute of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Navarra, C Irunlarrea s n, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
Eur J Nutr 46:460-7. 2007
..The role of some nutritional factors and hypocaloric diets on oxidative balance is a matter of debate, especially related to the prevention and treatment of obesity and co-morbidities...
- Evaluation of an interactive, Internet-based weight loss program: a pilot study
Alison O Booth
The Centre for Physical Activity utrition, School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, Victoria 3125, Australia
Health Educ Res 23:371-81. 2008
..Despite a greater fall in energy intake reported by the ED group and a similar increase in physical activity in both groups, setting individual dietary goals did not enhance weight loss...
- Moderate weight loss reduces renin and aldosterone but does not influence basal or stimulated pituitary-adrenal axis function
J T Ho
Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Horm Metab Res 39:694-9. 2007
..There may be a threshold effect of weight loss/energy restriction required to alter HPA axis function, or moderate weight loss may lead to a counterbalanced effect of stimulatory and inhibitory influences on HPA axis function...
- A new method of energy prescription to improve weight loss
Department of Dietetics, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 20:152-6. 2007
..Estimating individual energy requirements rather than using dietary assessment may improve weight loss...
- Brain white matter expansion in human obesity and the recovering effect of dieting
Lauri T Haltia
Department of Neurology, University of Turku, P O Box 52, FIN 20521 Turku, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:3278-84. 2007
..We hypothesized that possible differences seen in the brains of obese subjects would disappear or diminish after an intensive dieting period...
- Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial
Sai Krupa Das
Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1023-30. 2007
..There remains no consensus about the optimal dietary composition for sustained weight loss...
- Is dieting advice from magazines helpful or harmful? Five-year associations with weight-control behaviors and psychological outcomes in adolescents
Patricia van den Berg
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, 1300 South Second St, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Pediatrics 119:e30-7. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the association between frequent reading of magazine articles about dieting/weight loss and weight-control behaviors and psychological outcomes 5 years later in a sample of adolescents...
- Effect of orlistat on weight regain and cardiovascular risk factors following a very-low-energy diet in abdominally obese patients: a 3-year randomized, placebo-controlled study
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Diabetes Care 30:27-32. 2007
- The evolution of very-low-calorie diets: an update and meta-analysis
Adam Gilden Tsai
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Weight and Eating Disorders, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 3535 Market Street, Suite 3029, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:1283-93. 2006
..In Europe, VLCDs are used with less intensive medical supervision than in the United States, which reduces the cost of this approach...
- One year follow-up of overweight and obese hypertensive adults following intensive lifestyle therapy
M L Jehn
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology, and Clinical Research, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Hum Nutr Diet 19:349-54. 2006
..To examine the long-term effect on weight maintenance and dietary habits of participants in a clinical trial for weight loss...
- Randomised controlled trial of four commercial weight loss programmes in the UK: initial findings from the BBC "diet trials"
School of Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Centre for Nutrition, Dietetics and Food, University of Surrey, Guildford GU2 7XH
BMJ 332:1309-14. 2006
..To compare the effectiveness of four commercial weight loss diets available to adults in the United Kingdom...
- Web-based weight management programs in an integrated health care setting: a randomized, controlled trial
Kaiser Permanente Care Management Institute, Oakland, California, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:266-72. 2006
..To assess the efficacy of a Web-based tailored behavioral weight management program compared with Web-based information-only weight management materials...
- Effect of calorie restriction on subjective ratings of appetite
S D Anton
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
J Hum Nutr Diet 22:141-7. 2009
..The effects that prolonged CR has on subjective aspects of appetite have not been well studied. Thus, the present study tested the effect of 6 months of caloric restriction on appetite in healthy, overweight men and women...
- A dietary and behavioural programme for the treatment of obesity. A 4-year clinical trial and a long-term posttreatment follow-up
Department of Body Composition and Metabolism, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
J Intern Med 254:272-9. 2003
..Furthermore, to assess weight development amongst completers and noncompleters beyond the active 4-year treatment period...
- A reduced-glycemic load diet in the treatment of adolescent obesity
Cara B Ebbeling
Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Children's Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:773-9. 2003
..Large-scale randomized controlled trials are needed to further evaluate the effectiveness of reduced-GL and -glycemic index diets in the treatment of obesity and prevention of type 2 diabetes...
- Plasma ghrelin levels after diet-induced weight loss or gastric bypass surgery
David E Cummings
Department of Medicine, University of Washington the Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle 98108, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1623-30. 2002
..Because ghrelin is produced primarily by the stomach, weight loss after gastric bypass surgery may be accompanied by impaired ghrelin secretion...
- Disordered eating attitudes and behaviours in teenaged girls: a school-based study
J M Jones
Department of Psychiatry, University Health Network, Institute of Medical Sciences, Department of Psychiatry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont
CMAJ 165:547-52. 2001
..In the present study, disturbed eating attitudes and behaviours were evaluated in a large school-based population in Ontario in order to determine their prevalence and demographic distribution...
- Weight control in the physician's office
J M Ashley
University of Nevada School of Medicine, Nutrition Education and Research Program, Redfield Building MS 153, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Arch Intern Med 161:1599-604. 2001
..Incorporating meal replacements (1-2 per day) into traditional lifestyle interventions may offer an additional strategy for overweight patients in the primary care setting...
- American College of Preventive Medicine Practice Policy statement. Weight management counseling of overweight adults
Yale Prevention Research Center, Yale University School of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Derby, CT 06418, USA
Am J Prev Med 21:73-8. 2001
..On the basis of a review of the current literature and recommendations, the American College of Preventive Medicine presents a practice policy statement on weight management counseling of overweight adults...
- Lipoprotein responses to weight loss and weight maintenance in high-risk obese subjects
H H Ditschuneit
Department of Medicine, University Ulm, Germany
Eur J Clin Nutr 56:264-70. 2002
..To examine changes in plasma lipids and lipoproteins after 51 months of reduced energy intake and sustained weight loss...
- A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity
Gary D Foster
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 3309, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2082-90. 2003
..Despite the popularity of the low-carbohydrate, high-protein, high-fat (Atkins) diet, no randomized, controlled trials have evaluated its efficacy...
- Weight management: a comparison of existing dietary approaches in a work-site setting
W S Leslie
University of Glasgow Department of Human Nutrition, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, UK
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:1469-75. 2002
..2). To determine if the inclusion of lean red meat at least five times per week as part of a slimming diet is compatible with weight loss in comparison with a diet that excludes lean red meat...
- Diet, obesity, and cardiovascular risk
Robert O Bonow
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, USA
N Engl J Med 348:2057-8. 2003
- Popular diets: correlation to health, nutrition, and obesity
E T Kennedy
USDA/ARS Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 101:411-20. 2001
..The BMIs were significantly lower for men and women on the high carbohydrate diet; the highest BMIs were noted for those on a low carbohydrate diet...
- Reduction in obesity and related comorbid conditions after diet-induced weight loss or exercise-induced weight loss in men. A randomized, controlled trial
School of Physical and Health Education, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 133:92-103. 2000
..The effects of exercise without weight loss on fat distribution and other risk factors are also unclear...
- Using Internet technology to deliver a behavioral weight loss program
D F Tate
Brown Medical School Miriam Hospital, Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center, 14 Third St, RISE Bldg, Providence, RI 02906, USA
JAMA 285:1172-7. 2001
..Rapid increases in access to the Internet have made it a viable mode for public health intervention. No controlled studies have evaluated this resource for weight loss...
- Four worksite weight loss programs with high-stress occupations using a meal replacement product
Department of Sociology, City University of New York Graduate School, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Occup Med (Lond) 52:25-30. 2002
..Men lost significantly more weight than women (p < 0.006). We conclude that employees in some high-stress settings may participate productively in worksite weight reduction and maintenance programs that use meal replacements...
- Controlled clinical trial of two weight reducing diets in a NHS hospital dietetic outpatient clinic - a pilot study
F C Taylor
Dietetic Department, Guisborough General Hospital, UK
J Hum Nutr Diet 16:85-7. 2003
- A randomized trial comparing a very low carbohydrate diet and a calorie-restricted low fat diet on body weight and cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women
Bonnie J Brehm
University of Cincinnati and Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio 45221 0038, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1617-23. 2003
..Based on these data, a very low carbohydrate diet is more effective than a low fat diet for short-term weight loss and, over 6 months, is not associated with deleterious effects on important cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women...
- A high dairy protein, high-calcium diet minimizes bone turnover in overweight adults during weight loss
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, 5000
J Nutr 134:568-73. 2004
..Combined with reduced urinary calcium excretion, this suggests that a high-protein, calcium-replete diet may protect against bone loss during weight reduction...
- Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we diet: effects of anticipated deprivation on food intake in restrained and unrestrained eaters
Department of Psychology, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Abnorm Psychol 111:396-401. 2002
..These results confirm that merely planning to go on a diet can trigger overeating in restrained eaters, reflecting the dynamic connection between dieting and overeating...
- Effects of an energy-restrictive diet with or without exercise on abdominal fat, intermuscular fat, and metabolic risk factors in obese women
School of Physical and Health Education, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Diabetes Care 25:431-8. 2002
..The improvement in the metabolic profile was not enhanced by the addition of aerobic or resistance exercise. The findings reinforce the importance of diminished visceral fat in the treatment of insulin resistance...
- Effect of lifestyle intervention on metabolic coronary heart disease risk factors in obese older adults
Dennis T Villareal
Geriatrics and Nutritional Science and the Center for Human Nutrition, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63108, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 84:1317-23. 2006
..Coronary heart disease (CHD) risk factors increase with age and body mass index (BMI; in kg/m2). However, whether lifestyle intervention ameliorates metabolic CHD risk factors in obese older adults is unknown...
- Use of [14C]-sodium bicarbonate/urea to measure total energy expenditure in overweight men and women before and after low calorie diet induced weight loss
Natalie D Luscombe
University of Adelaide, Department of Medicine, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide SA 5000
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:307-16. 2006
- Effects of walking or resistance training on weight loss maintenance in obese, middle-aged men: a randomized trial
UKK Institute for Health Promotion Research, Tampere, Finland
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 26:676-83. 2002
..To investigate whether walking or resistance training improves weight maintenance after weight loss when added to dietary counselling...
- The association of SNP276G>T at adiponectin gene with circulating adiponectin and insulin resistance in response to mild weight loss
M J Shin
Yonsei Cardiovascular Research Institute, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Int J Obes (Lond) 30:1702-8. 2006
..Subjects:In total, 294 nondiabetic/overweight-obese Koreans participated in a clinical intervention study lasting 12 weeks involving a caloric reduction of -300kcal/day...
- [Estimation of the influence of psychological support on body mass reduction in the obese patients]
Wiad Lek 55:174-82. 2002
..More than 40% of the patients were able to preserve up to 6 months of the programme, and about 30% up to one year...
- Popular weight reduction diets
Stella Lucia Volpe
School of Nursing, Division of Biobehavioral and Health Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, Nursing Education Building, 420 Guardian Drive, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6096, USA
J Cardiovasc Nurs 21:34-9. 2006
..In addition, the role that the environment plays on both diet and exercise and how they impact obesity will be addressed. Finally, the National Weight Control Registry will be discussed...
- Comparison of body composition methods during weight loss in obese women using herbal formula
Department of Oriental Rehabilitation Medicine, Ilsan International Hospital, Dongguk University, Goyang, Gyeonggi, Republic of Korea
Am J Chin Med 33:851-8. 2005
- Low-dose leptin reverses skeletal muscle, autonomic, and neuroendocrine adaptations to maintenance of reduced weight
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Clin Invest 115:3579-86. 2005
..These responses suggest that the weight-reduced state may be regarded as a condition of relative leptin insufficiency. Prevention of weight regain might be achievable by strategies relevant to reversing this leptin-insufficient state...
- Changes in thoracic gas volume with air-displacement plethysmography after a weight loss program in overweight and obese women
C S Minderico
Exercise and Health Laboratory, Faculty of Human Movement Technical University of Lisbon, Estrada da Costa, Portugal
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:444-50. 2008
..This study was designed to compare measured and predicted thoracic gas volume (V (TG)) after weight loss and to analyze the effect of body composition confounders such as waist circumference (WC) on measured V (TG) changes...
- Self-reported weight, weight goals, and weight control strategies of a midwestern population
Thomas E Kottke
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 77:114-21. 2002
..To elicit from individuals in a population their current weight and height, weight goals, and weight control strategies to aid in design of effective interventions to prevent and treat obesity...
- Lean mass loss is associated with low protein intake during dietary-induced weight loss in postmenopausal women
Melanie J Bopp
Department of Internal Medicine, Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine, General Clinical Research Center, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:1216-20. 2008
..Therefore, inadequate protein intake during caloric restriction may be associated with adverse body-composition changes in postmenopausal women...
- [Struggle about the best reducing diet, Fat gone by means of more fat?]
MMW Fortschr Med 146:4-6. 2004
- Effects of lifestyle modification on adipocytokine levels in obese patients
D A de Luis
Institute of Endocrinology and Nutrition, Medicine School and Unit of Investigation, Hospital Rio Hortega RD056 0013, University of Valladolid, Valladolid, Spain
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 12:33-9. 2008
..Adipose tissue is considered an active secretory organ of adipocytokines. The principal aim of our study was to examine the changes in adipocytokines levels after weigth reduction in obese patients...
- Resistance training conserves fat-free mass and resting energy expenditure following weight loss
Gary R Hunter
Department of Human Studies, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:1045-51. 2008
- Reduced glucocorticoid production rate, decreased 5alpha-reductase activity, and adipose tissue insulin sensitization after weight loss
Jeremy W Tomlinson
Division of Medical Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Diabetes 57:1536-43. 2008
..We have assessed the impact of weight loss on glucocorticoid secretion and metabolism (notably 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and 5alpha-reductase [5alphaR] activity) and insulin sensitivity...
- Effect of meal replacement on metabolic risk factors in overweight and obese subjects
University Hospital Freiburg, Centre for Internal Medicine, Department of Rehabilitation, Prevention and Sports Medicine, Freiburg, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 52:74-8. 2008
- Intakes of most nutrients remain at acceptable levels during a weight management program using the food exchange system
L M Benezra
Department of Health and Exercise Science, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 28608, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 101:554-61. 2001
- Treatment modalities of obesity: what fits whom?
Institute of Endocrinology, Narodni 8, 116 94 Prague 1, Czech Republic
Diabetes Care 31:S269-77. 2008
..Centers of excellence in obesity management represented by multidisciplinary teams should provide comprehensive programs for the treatment of obesity derived from evidence-based medicine...
- Effect of a weight loss intervention on anthropometric measures and metabolic risk factors in pre- versus postmenopausal women
Department of Rehabilitation, Prevention and Sports Medicine, Centre for Internal Medicine, University Hospital, Freiburg Germany
Nutr J 6:31. 2007
..The present study examines changes in body weight, fat mass, metabolic and hormonal parameters in overweight and obese pre- and postmenopausal women who participated in a weight loss intervention...
- [Significance of nutrition in obesity]
J G Wechsler
Abteilung Innere Medizin, Krankenhaus Barmherzige Brüder München, Romanstrasse 93, 80639, Munchen, Germany
Internist (Berl) 48:1093-9. 2007
..Preventive measures focusing on nutrition should lay the foundation in kindergartens and schools to control the epidemic-like spread of obesity...
- Effects of increased physical activity and mild calorie restriction on heart rate variability in obese women
Fukuoka Health Promotion Foundation, Japan
Jpn Heart J 42:459-69. 2001
..49, p<0.05). The combination of exercise and mild calorie restriction led to changes in HRV indicative of an improvement in parasympathetic modulation...
- [Energy and macronutirents intake by overweight and obese children aged 7-12]
Zakład Zywienia Człowieka, Akademia Medyczna w Warszawie, 01 445 Warszawa
Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig 58:53-60. 2007
..05). The intakes of energy and fat need to be monitored in this group of population, since their overeating can predispose to diet-related diseases, such as cardiovascular in adulthood...
- A randomized trial of a hypocaloric high-protein diet, with and without exercise, on weight loss, fitness, and markers of the Metabolic Syndrome in overweight and obese women
Kelly A Meckling
Department of Human Health and Nutritional Sciences, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32:743-52. 2007
- Weight loss reduces C-reactive protein levels in obese postmenopausal women
Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, Burlington
Circulation 105:564-9. 2002
..We examined the hypothesis that weight loss would reduce plasma CRP levels in obese postmenopausal women...
- Interventions for the management of weight and body composition changes in women with breast cancer
Diablo Valley Oncology and Hematology Medical Group, Inc, Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Clin J Oncol Nurs 11:41-52. 2007
..Along with published practice guidelines, the currently available information provides guidance for oncology nurses on the methods that can impact unhealthy weight conditions associated with breast cancer...
- [Effect of a low-energy diet on body weight and dietary intake in women after one year treatment]
Zakład Profilaktyki Chorób, Zywieniowozaleznych z Poradnia Chorób Metabolicznych, Instytut Zywnosci i Zywienia, Warszawa
Przegl Lek 65:184-8. 2008
..Increase in energy, carbohydrates, sucrose intake and decrease in calcium intake could contribute to weight gain in studied women...
- Increased plasma levels of zinc in obese adult females on a weight-loss program based on a hypocaloric balanced diet
Institute of Nutrition Sciences, Kagawa Nutrition University, Tokyo 170-8481, Japan
In Vivo 19:1035-7. 2005
..Interestingly, the plasma concentrations of zinc were markedly enhanced at the end of the program...
- Three-week integrated body weight reduction programme markedly improves performance and work capacity in severely obese patients
Laboratorio Sperimentale di Ricerche Endocrinologiche, Istituto Auxologico Italiano, IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Eat Weight Disord 8:107-13. 2003
- Short- and long-term beneficial effects of a combined dietary-behavioral-physical activity intervention for the treatment of childhood obesity
Department of Pediatrics, Child Health and Sports Center, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Pediatrics 115:e443-9. 2005
..Surprisingly, however, only a minor fraction of obese children participate in weight reduction interventions, and the longer-term effects of these weight-reduction interventions among children have not been elucidated...
- Fad diets and obesity--Part IV: Low-carbohydrate vs. low-fat diets
Mark A Moyad
University of Michigan Medical Center, Department of Urology, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Urol Nurs 25:67-70. 2005
..The decision to go on any diet should be made with a health professional who can monitor the patient closely...
- Competing dietary claims for weight loss: finding the forest through truculent trees
David L Katz
Yale Prevention Research Center, Derby, Connecticut 06418, USA
Annu Rev Public Health 26:61-88. 2005
- A randomized trial comparing low-fat and low-carbohydrate diets matched for energy and protein
C J Segal-Isaacson
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Obes Res 12:130S-40S. 2004
..Compliance was excellent with both diets, and side effects were mild, although participants reported more food cravings and bad breath on the VLC diet and more burping and flatulence on the LF diet...
- Changes in multiple health outcomes at 12 and 24 weeks resulting from 12 weeks of exercise counseling with or without dietary counseling in obese adults
Kathleen J Melanson
Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, Rhode Island, USA
Nutrition 20:849-56. 2004
..We compared health outcomes in obese adults who underwent 12 wk of exercise counseling with or without dietary counseling, followed by 12 wk of observational monitoring...
- Consumption of diacylglycerol oil as part of a reduced-energy diet enhances loss of body weight and fat in comparison with consumption of a triacylglycerol control oil
Kevin C Maki
Chicago Center for Clinical Research, Chicago, IL 60610, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1230-6. 2002
..Diacylglycerol is a natural component of edible oils that has metabolic characteristics that are distinct from those of triacylglycerol...
- Leptin, thyrotropin, and thyroid hormones in obese/overweight women before and after two levels of energy deficit
Department of Dietetics and Functional Foods, Warsaw Agricultural University, Warsaw, Poland
Endocrine 24:147-53. 2004
..Changes in fm% were directly related to baseline T4/TSH, fT4/TSH, and log TSH. In conclusion, TSH serum concentration and its ratio to T4 and fT4 before weight reduction could be a good predictor of successful weight loss...
- Beneficial effect of low carbohydrate in low calorie diets on visceral fat reduction in type 2 diabetic patients with obesity
Center of Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolism, Sakura Hospital, School of Medicine, Toho University, 564-1 Shimoshizu, Sakura-City, Chiba 285-0841, Japan
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 65:235-41. 2004
- Medical triggers are associated with better short- and long-term weight loss outcomes
Amy A Gorin
Weight Control and Diabetes Research Center, The Miriam Hospital Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Prev Med 39:612-6. 2004
..Medical events are often reported as triggers for weight loss, but it is unknown whether medical triggers result in better short- and long-term weight control...
- Weight loss without losing muscle mass in pre-obese and obese subjects induced by a high-soy-protein diet
Department of Rehabilitative and Preventive Sports Medicine, University Hospital, D 79106 Freiburg, Germany
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:1349-52. 2004
..To determine change of weight, body composition, metabolic and hormonal parameters induced by different intervention protocols...