Summary: A major orthodox system of Hindu philosophy based on Sankhya (metaphysical dualism) but differing from it in being theistic and characterized by the teaching of raja-yoga as a practical method of liberating the self. It includes a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being with liberation of the self and union with the universal spirit. (From Webster, 3d ed)
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Effect of yoga on cardiovascular system in subjects above 40 yearsJyotsana R Bharshankar
Department of Physiology, Govt Medical College, Nagpur
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 47:202-6. 2003This study was conducted to examine the effect of yoga on cardiovascular function in subjects above 40 yrs of age...
- Yoga for depression: the research evidenceKaren Pilkington
Research Council for Complementary Medicine, London, UK
J Affect Disord 89:13-24. 2005b>Yoga-based interventions may prove to be an attractive option for the treatment of depression. The aim of this study is to systematically review the research evidence on the effectiveness of yoga for this indication.
- Yoga for anxiety: a systematic review of the research evidenceG Kirkwood
Research Council for Complementary Medicine, London, UK
Br J Sports Med 39:884-91; discussion 891. 2005Between March and June 2004, a systematic review was carried out of the research evidence on the effectiveness of yoga for the treatment of anxiety and anxiety disorders. Eight studies were reviewed...
- Restorative yoga for women with breast cancer: findings from a randomized pilot studySuzanne C Danhauer
Department of Internal Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1082, USA
Psychooncology 18:360-8. 2009Restorative yoga (RY) is a gentle type of yoga that may be beneficial for cancer patients and post-treatment survivors...
- An evidence-based review of yoga as a complementary intervention for patients with cancerKelly B Smith
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, 62 Arch Street, Ontario, Canada
Psychooncology 18:465-75. 2009To conduct an evidence-based review of yoga as an intervention for patients with cancer. Specifically, this paper reviewed the impact of yoga on psychological adjustment among cancer patients.
- A pilot study of yoga for breast cancer survivors: physical and psychological benefitsS Nicole Culos-Reed
Faculty of Kinesiology, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Psychooncology 15:891-7. 2006..g. fatigue, nausea), and improving overall well-being and quality of life. The purpose of the present pilot study was to examine the physical and psychological benefits afforded by a 7-week yoga program for cancer survivors.
- Effect of Iyengar yoga practice on fatigue and diurnal salivary cortisol concentration in breast cancer survivorsJacquelyn Banasik
College of Nursing, Washington State University, Spokane, Washington 99210 1495, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 23:135-42. 2011To examine the effect of regular Iyengar yoga practice on measures of self-perceived psychosocial function and diurnal salivary cortisol secretion in stage II-IV breast cancer survivors (n = 18).
- Randomized controlled trial of yoga among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients: effects on quality of lifeAlyson B Moadel
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4387-95. 2007This study examines the impact of yoga, including physical poses, breathing, and meditation exercises, on quality of life (QOL), fatigue, distressed mood, and spiritual well-being among a multiethnic sample of breast cancer patients.
- Effects of yoga interventions on pain and pain-associated disability: a meta-analysisArndt Bussing
Center for Integrative Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Witten Herdecke, Herdecke, Germany
J Pain 13:1-9. 2012We searched databases for controlled clinical studies, and performed a meta-analysis on the effectiveness of yoga interventions on pain and associated disability...
- Effects of a yoga program on cortisol rhythm and mood states in early breast cancer patients undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy: a randomized controlled trialH S Vadiraja
Department of Yoga Research, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bangalore, India corrected
Integr Cancer Ther 8:37-46. 2009Objectives. This study compares the effects of an integrated yoga program with brief supportive therapy in breast cancer outpatients undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy at a cancer center.
- A yoga intervention for young adults with elevated symptoms of depressionAlison Woolery
University of California, Los Angeles, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 10:60-3. 2004b>Yoga teachers and students often report that yoga has an uplifting effect on their moods, but scientific research on yoga and depression is limited.
- Effects of yoga program on quality of life and affect in early breast cancer patients undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy: a randomized controlled trialH S Vadiraja
Department of Yoga Research, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bangalore, India
Complement Ther Med 17:274-80. 2009This study compares the effects of an integrated yoga program with brief supportive therapy in breast cancer outpatients undergoing adjuvant radiotherapy at a cancer centre.
- Psychological adjustment and sleep quality in a randomized trial of the effects of a Tibetan yoga intervention in patients with lymphomaLorenzo Cohen
Department of Behavioral Science, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer 100:2253-60. 2004..b>Yoga, an ancient Eastern science, incorporates stress-reduction techniques that include regulated breathing, visual ..
- Effects of an integrated yoga program in modulating psychological stress and radiation-induced genotoxic stress in breast cancer patients undergoing radiotherapyBirendranath Banerjee
Genome Stability Laboratory, Department of Physiology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Integr Cancer Ther 6:242-50. 2007Effects of an integrated yoga program in modulating perceived stress levels, anxiety, as well as depression levels and radiation-induced DNA damage were studied in 68 breast cancer patients undergoing radiotherapy...
- Risk indices associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and possible protection with yoga: a systematic reviewKim E Innes
Center for the Study of Complementary and Alternative Therapies, Blake Center, PO Box 800905, University of Virginia Health Systems, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0905, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 18:491-519. 2005To conduct a systematic review of published literature regarding the effects of yoga, a promising mind-body therapy, on specific anthropometric and physiologic indices of cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk and on related clinical endpoints.
- Effect of yoga based lifestyle intervention on subjective well-beingRatna Sharma
Integral Health Clinic, Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 52:123-31. 2008b>Yoga is assuming importance in improving mental health and quality of life in the treatment of a number of psychiatric and psychosomatic disorders...
- Effect of rosary prayer and yoga mantras on autonomic cardiovascular rhythms: comparative studyL Bernardi
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy
BMJ 323:1446-9. 2001To test whether rhythmic formulas such as the rosary and yoga mantras can synchronise and reinforce inherent cardiovascular rhythms and modify baroreflex sensitivity.
- Effect of yoga therapy on facial emotion recognition deficits, symptoms and functioning in patients with schizophreniaR V Behere
Departments of Psychiatry Psychiatric Social Work Biostatistics, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana University, Bangalore, India
Acta Psychiatr Scand 123:147-53. 2011..Treatments to improve these deficits in antipsychotic-stabilized patients have not been well studied. Yoga therapy has been described to improve functioning in various domains in schizophrenia; however, its effect on FERD ..
- A modified yoga-based exercise program in hemodialysis patients: a randomized controlled studyM Yurtkuran
Uludag University Medical Faculty, Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Department, Atatürk Balneotherapy and Rehabilitation Center, PK 16080 Kükürtlü, Bursa, Turkey
Complement Ther Med 15:164-71. 2007To evaluate the effects of a yoga-based exercise program on pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and biochemical markers in hemodialysis patients.
- Effects of Hatha yoga and African dance on perceived stress, affect, and salivary cortisolJeremy West
Reed College, USA
Ann Behav Med 28:114-8. 2004Dance and yoga have been shown to produce improvements in psychological well-being.
- A pilot randomized controlled trial of the Yoga of Awareness program in the management of fibromyalgiaJames W Carson
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239 3011, USA
Pain 151:530-9. 2010..The aim of this randomized controlled trial was to evaluate the effects of a comprehensive yoga intervention on FM symptoms and coping...
- Pilot evaluation of an Iyengar yoga program for breast cancer survivorsAmy E Speed-Andrews
Faculty of Physical Education and Recreation, University of Alberta, Edmonton AB, Canada
Cancer Nurs 33:369-81. 2010..Preliminary findings suggest yoga can improve quality of life (QoL) in breast cancer survivors, but few studies have focused on Iyengar yoga (IY).
- Yoga-based intervention for carpal tunnel syndrome: a randomized trialM S Garfinkel
Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
JAMA 280:1601-3. 1998..Carpal tunnel syndrome is a common complication of repetitive activities and causes significant morbidity...
- Randomized controlled pilot trial of yoga in overweight and obese breast cancer survivors: effects on quality of life and anthropometric measuresAlyson J Littman
Seattle Epidemiologic Research and Information Center, Department of Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System, 1100 Olive Way, Metropolitan Park West, Suite 1400, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Support Care Cancer 20:267-77. 2012To obtain estimates of time to recruit the study sample, retention, facility-based class attendance and home practice for a study of yoga in breast cancer survivors, and its efficacy on fatigue, quality of life (QOL), and weight change.
- The effects of yoga on mood in psychiatric inpatientsRoberta Lavey
Rehabilitation Services at New Hampshire Hospital, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 28:399-402. 2005The effects of yoga on mood were examined in 13 psychiatric inpatients at New Hampshire Hospital. Participants completed the Profile of Mood States (POMS) prior to and following participation in a yoga class...
- Effects of yoga on stress management in healthy adults: A systematic reviewCecilia S M Chong
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Altern Ther Health Med 17:32-8. 2011This article reports a systematic review and critical appraisal of the effect of yoga on stress management in healthy adults.
- The effect of iyengar yoga and strengthening exercises for people living with osteoarthritis of the knee: a case seriesElaine L Bukowski
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona, NJ 08240, USA
Int Q Community Health Educ 26:287-305. 2006..of 15 women and men performed one of the following: traditional stretching and strengthening exercises, Iyengar yoga, or no structured group exercise...
- Yoga for chronic low back pain in a predominantly minority population: a pilot randomized controlled trialRobert B Saper
Department of Family Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Massachusetts, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 15:18-27. 2009Several studies suggest yoga may be effective for chronic low back pain; however, trials targeting minorities have not been conducted...
- Effect of Sahaj Yoga on neuro-cognitive functions in patients suffering from major depressionV K Sharma
Department of Physiology, Vardhaman Mahavir Medical College, New Delhi
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 50:375-83. 2006Cognitive functions are impaired in Major Depression. Studies on the effects of Yoga on cognitive functions have shown improvement in memory, vigilance and anxiety levels...
- Yoga for arthritis: a scoping reviewSteffany Haaz
Department of Health, Behavior and Society, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, 615 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Rheum Dis Clin North Am 37:33-46. 2011This article reviews the existing literature on using yoga for arthritis...
- Yoga of Awareness program for menopausal symptoms in breast cancer survivors: results from a randomized trialJames W Carson
Department of Anesthesiology and Peri Operative Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Support Care Cancer 17:1301-9. 2009..The aim of this preliminary, randomized controlled trial was to evaluate the effects of a yoga intervention on menopausal symptoms in a sample of survivors of early-stage breast cancer (stages IA-IIB).
- Anxiolytic effects of a yoga program in early breast cancer patients undergoing conventional treatment: a randomized controlled trialM Raghavendra Rao
Departments of CAM, Surgical Oncology, Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology, Bangalore Institute of Oncology, Bangalore, India
Complement Ther Med 17:1-8. 2009This study compares the anxiolytic effects of a yoga program and supportive therapy in breast cancer outpatients undergoing conventional treatment at a cancer centre.
- Yoga in stroke rehabilitation: a systematic review and results of a pilot studyHolly Lynton
Continuum Center for Health and Healing, New York, New York, USA
Top Stroke Rehabil 14:1-8. 2007This article presents a systematic review of the literature pertaining to the use of yoga in stroke rehabilitation...
- Yoga for chronic low back pain: a randomized trialHelen E Tilbrook
University of York, Heslington, United Kingdom
Ann Intern Med 155:569-78. 2011Previous studies indicate that yoga may be an effective treatment for chronic or recurrent low back pain.
- The health benefits of yoga and exercise: a review of comparison studiesAlyson Ross
School of Nursing, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Altern Complement Med 16:3-12. 2010..A growing body of evidence supports the belief that yoga benefits physical and mental health via down-regulation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis and the ..
- A randomized trial comparing yoga, stretching, and a self-care book for chronic low back painKaren J Sherman
Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA 98101, USA
Arch Intern Med 171:2019-26. 2011Chronic low back pain is a common problem lacking highly effective treatment options. Small trials suggest that yoga may have benefits for this condition...
- Effect of 3-month yoga on oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes with or without complications: a controlled clinical trialShreelaxmi V Hegde
Department of Biochemistry, Srinivas Institute of Medical Science and Research Centre, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
Diabetes Care 34:2208-10. 2011To assess the effect of yoga on anthropometry, blood pressure, glycemic control, and oxidative stress in type 2 diabetic patients on standard care in comparison with standard care alone.
- Impact of relaxation training according to Yoga In Daily Life® system on perceived stress after breast cancer surgeryTine Kovacic
Centre for Education, Work and Care Dobrna, Dobrna, Slovenia
Integr Cancer Ther 10:16-26. 2011..pilot study was to gather information on the immediate and short-term effects of relaxation training according to Yoga In Daily Life(®) (YIDL) system on the psychological distress of breast cancer patients...
- Iyengar yoga for young adults with rheumatoid arthritis: results from a mixed-methods pilot studySubhadra Evans
Pediatric Pain Program, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90024, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 39:904-13. 2010..Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic disease that often impacts patient's quality of life. For young people with RA, there is a need for rehabilitative approaches that have been shown to be safe and to lead to improved functioning...
- Yoga for cancer patients and survivorsJulienne E Bower
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology, University of California, Los Angeles 90095 7076, USA
Cancer Control 12:165-71. 2005b>Yoga has been practiced for thousands of years to improve physical and emotional well-being. Empirical research on yoga has been ongoing for several decades, including several recent studies conducted with cancer patients and survivors.
- A brief but comprehensive lifestyle education program based on yoga reduces risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitusRamesh L Bijlani
Integral Health Clinic, Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Altern Complement Med 11:267-74. 2005The objective of the study was to study the short-term impact of a brief lifestyle intervention based on yoga on some of the biochemical indicators of risk for cardiovascular disease and diabetes mellitus.
- Evaluation of the effectiveness and efficacy of Iyengar yoga therapy on chronic low back painKimberly Williams
Department of Community Medicine, West Virginia University, Morgantown, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 34:2066-76. 2009The effectiveness and efficacy of Iyengar yoga for chronic low back pain (CLBP) were assessed with intention-to-treat and per-protocol analysis...
- Effects of an integrated yoga programme on chemotherapy-induced nausea and emesis in breast cancer patientsR M Raghavendra
Department of Life Sciences, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bangalore, India
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 16:462-74. 2007This study examined the effect of an integrated yoga programme on chemotherapy-related nausea and emesis in early operable breast cancer outpatients...
- Psychophysiologic effects of Hatha Yoga on musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary function: a literature reviewJames A Raub
National Center for Environmental Assessment, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
J Altern Complement Med 8:797-812. 2002b>Yoga has become increasingly popular in Western cultures as a means of exercise and fitness training; however, it is still depicted as trendy as evidenced by an April 2001 Time magazine cover story on "The Power of Yoga...
- Yoga in cardiac health (a review)Satyajit R Jayasinghe
Continuum Heart Institute, Beth Israel Medical Center, First Avenue at 16th Street, New York 10010, USA
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 11:369-75. 2004This review studies the efficacy of yoga in the primary and secondary prevention of ischaemic heart disease and post-myocardial infarction patient rehabilitation...
- Beneficial effects of yoga lifestyle on reversibility of ischaemic heart disease: caring heart project of International Board of YogaJ Yogendra
The Yoga Institute, Santacruz, Mumbai
J Assoc Physicians India 52:283-9. 2004b>Yoga based lifestyle modifications have been earlier shown to be beneficial in coronary artery disease in a small number of patients...
- Randomized, controlled, six-month trial of yoga in healthy seniors: effects on cognition and quality of lifeBarry S Oken
Department of Neurology and Behavioral Neuroscience, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 12:40-7. 2006..There are potential benefits of mind-body techniques on cognitive function because the techniques involve an active attentional or mindfulness component, but this has not been fully explored...
- Yoga practice in diabetes improves physical and psychological outcomesMadhu Kosuri
Yoga and Diabetes Group, Institute of Yoga and Consciousness, Visakhapatnam, India
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 7:515-7. 2009The aim of this study was to examine the effect of yoga practice on clinical and psychological outcomes in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM).
- A pilot study measuring the impact of yoga on the trait of mindfulnessDanielle V Shelov
Yeshiva University, New York, USA
Behav Cogn Psychother 37:595-8. 2009The current study examined whether yoga would increase levels of mindfulness in a healthy population.
- A pilot study of gentle yoga for sleep disturbance in women with osteoarthritisDiana M Taibi
Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7262, USA
Sleep Med 12:512-7. 2011The purpose of this study was to test the feasibility and acceptability of a gentle yoga intervention for sleep disturbance in older women with osteoarthritis (OA) and to collect initial efficacy data on the intervention.
- Laughter yoga versus group exercise program in elderly depressed women: a randomized controlled trialMahvash Shahidi
Department of Counseling, School of Psychology and Training Sciences, Allameh Tabatabai University, Tehran, Iran
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 26:322-7. 2011Laughter Yoga founded by M. Kataria is a combination of unconditioned laughter and yogic breathing. Its effect on mental and physical aspects of healthy individuals was shown to be beneficial.
- Efficacy and safety of meditative movement therapies in fibromyalgia syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsJost Langhorst
Department of Internal and Integrative Medicine, University of Duisburg Essen, Kliniken Essen Mitte, 45276 Essen, Germany
Rheumatol Int 33:193-207. 2013..review with meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of meditative movement therapies (Qigong, Tai Chi and Yoga) in fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS) was carried out. We screened Clinicaltrials...
- Yoga in schizophrenia: a systematic review of randomised controlled trialsD Vancampfort
University Psychiatric Centre Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, campus Kortenberg, Belgium
Acta Psychiatr Scand 126:12-20. 2012The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effectiveness of yoga as a complementary treatment on general psychopathology, positive and negative symptoms and health-related quality of life (HRQL) for people with schizophrenia...
- Effect of a 12-week yoga intervention on fear of falling and balance in older adults: a pilot studyArlene A Schmid
Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development, Center of Excellence on Implementing Evidence Based Practice, and the Health Services Research and Development Stroke Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, Richard L Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 91:576-83. 2010To determine whether fear of falling (FoF) and balance improved after a 12-week yoga intervention among older adults.
- Yoga for asthma? A systematic review of randomized clinical trialsPaul Posadzki
Department of Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
J Asthma 48:632-9. 2011The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effectiveness of yoga as a treatment option for asthma.
- Effects of yoga on the autonomic nervous system, gamma-aminobutyric-acid, and allostasis in epilepsy, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorderC C Streeter
Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Med Hypotheses 78:571-9. 2012A theory is proposed to explain the benefits of yoga practices in diverse, frequently comorbid medical conditions based on the concept that yoga practices reduce allostatic load in stress response systems such that optimal homeostasis is ..
- Yoga for low back pain: a systematic review of randomized clinical trialsPaul Posadzki
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, 25 Victoria Park Road, Exeter, Devon, UK
Clin Rheumatol 30:1257-62. 2011It has been suggested that yoga has a positive effect on low back pain and function. The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effectiveness of yoga as a treatment option for low back pain...
- Yoga therapy as an adjunctive treatment for schizophrenia: a randomized, controlled pilot studyElizabeth Visceglia
J Altern Complement Med 17:601-7. 2011There has been limited study of therapeutic yoga as a complementary treatment for schizophrenia...
- Immediate effect of specific nostril manipulating yoga breathing practices on autonomic and respiratory variablesP Raghuraj
Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore, India
Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback 33:65-75. 2008The effect of right, left, and alternate nostril yoga breathing (i.e., RNYB, LNYB, and ANYB, respectively) were compared with breath awareness (BAW) and normal breathing (CTL)...
- Is yoga effective for pain? A systematic review of randomized clinical trialsPaul Posadzki
Complementary Medicine, Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, United Kingdom
Complement Ther Med 19:281-7. 2011The objective of this systematic review was to assess the effectiveness of yoga as a treatment option for any type of pain.
- Yoga for persistent fatigue in breast cancer survivors: a randomized controlled trialJulienne E Bower
Department of Psychology, University of California Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Cancer 118:3766-75. 2012..Cancer-related fatigue afflicts up to 33% of breast cancer survivors, yet there are no empirically validated treatments for this symptom...
- Assessing depression following two ancient Indian interventions: effects of yoga and ayurveda on older adults in a residential homeManjunath Nandi Krishnamurthy
Division of Life Sciences, Swami Vivekananda Yoga University, Bangalore, India
J Gerontol Nurs 33:17-23. 2007The effects of yoga and ayurveda on geriatric depression were evaluated in 69 persons older than 60 who were living in a residential home...
- Integrating modern dermatology and Ayurveda in the treatment of vitiligo and lymphedema in IndiaSaravu R Narahari
Department of Integrative Dermatology, Institute of Applied Dermatology, Kasaragod, India
Int J Dermatol 50:310-34. 2011....
- Effect of six weeks yoga training on weight loss following step test, respiratory pressures, handgrip strength and handgrip endurance in young healthy subjects- Madanmohan
Department of Physiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research JIPMER, Pondicherry 605 006
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 52:164-70. 2008The present study was designed to test whether yoga training of six weeks duration modulates sweating response to dynamic exercise and improves respiratory pressures, handgrip strength and handgrip endurance...
- Effect of yoga on arrhythmia burden, anxiety, depression, and quality of life in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: the YOGA My Heart StudyDhanunjaya Lakkireddy
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of Kansas Hospital and Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:1177-82. 2013The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of yoga on atrial fibrillation (AF) burden, quality of life (QoL), depression, and anxiety scores.
- Yoga as a therapeutic intervention: a bibliometric analysis of published research studiesSat Bir S Khalsa
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 48:269-85. 2004Although yoga is historically a spiritual discipline, it has also been used clinically as a therapeutic intervention...
- Stress management: a randomized study of cognitive behavioural therapy and yogaJens Granath
Department of Psychology and Centre for Health Equity Studies CHESS, Stockholm University, Stockholm, Sweden
Cogn Behav Ther 35:3-10. 2006..However, no significant difference was found between the 2 programs. The results indicate that both cognitive behaviour therapy and yoga are promising stress management techniques.
- Yoga for women with metastatic breast cancer: results from a pilot studyJames W Carson
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 33:331-41. 2007..This pilot/feasibility study examined a novel, yoga-based palliative intervention, the Yoga of Awareness Program, in a sample of women with MBC...
- Effects of hatha yoga on well-being in healthy adults in Shiraz, Islamic Republic of IranNe Hadi
Department of Community Medicine, Shiraz Medical School, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Islamic Republic of Iran
East Mediterr Health J 13:829-37. 2007There have been many studies on yoga and its effects on physical function, but less attention has been paid to self assessment of improvement in physical and mental health and well-being by yoga practitioners...
- Characteristics of yoga users: results of a national surveyGurjeet S Birdee
Division for Research and Education in Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1653-8. 2008There are limited data on the characteristics of yoga users in the U.S.
- Effect of yoga based lifestyle intervention on state and trait anxietyNidhi Gupta
Department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110 029
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 50:41-7. 2006..aim of the study was to study the short-term impact of a comprehensive but brief lifestyle intervention, based on yoga, on anxiety levels in normal and diseased subjects...
- Meditation with yoga, group therapy with hypnosis, and psychoeducation for long-term depressed mood: a randomized pilot trialLisa D Butler
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 571, USA
J Clin Psychol 64:806-20. 2008This randomized pilot study investigated the effects of meditation with yoga (and psychoeducation) versus group therapy with hypnosis (and psychoeducation) versus psychoeducation alone on diagnostic status and symptom levels among 46 ..
- Iyengar yoga for treating symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knees: a pilot studySharon L Kolasinski
Division of Rheumatology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Altern Complement Med 11:689-93. 2005..program can be difficult for patients, and little is known about the benefits of alternative therapies such as yoga. The aim of this pilot study was to assess the feasibility of using yoga in the tradition of B.K.S...
- Rapid stress reduction and anxiolysis among distressed women as a consequence of a three-month intensive yoga programAndreas Michalsen
Department of Integrative and Internal Medicine V, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Chair of Complementary Medicine at the University Duisburg Essen, Germany
Med Sci Monit 11:CR555-561. 2005Emotional distress is an increasing public health problem and Hatha yoga has been claimed to induce stress reduction and empowerment in practicing subjects...
- Body awareness, eating attitudes, and spiritual beliefs of women practicing yogaK A Dittmann
Department of Nutrition, Food Science, and Packaging, San Jose State University, San Jose, California, USA
Eat Disord 17:273-92. 2009This research evaluated attitudes about body image and eating in women practicing postural yoga. Study 1 described scores from questionnaires on variables related to body awareness, intuitive eating, spirituality, and reasons for ..
- Kapalabhati pranayama: breath of fire or cause of pneumothorax? A case reportDerek B Johnson
Department of Surgery, Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, MA 01201, USA
Chest 125:1951-2. 2004..a 29-year-old healthy woman who presented to the emergency department with a spontaneous pneumothorax caused by a yoga breathing technique called Kapalabhati pranayama, or breath of fire...
- Effects of yoga on inflammation and exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failurePaula R Pullen
Department of Kinesiology and Health, Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Card Fail 14:407-13. 2008..b>Yoga combines physical and breathing exercises that may benefit patients with HF...
- Effects of yoga on depression and anxiety of womenM Javnbakht
Psychiatry Department of Islamic Azad University, Mashhad Branch 22 Bahman Hospital, Mashhad, Iran
Complement Ther Clin Pract 15:102-4. 2009b>Yoga has often been perceived as a method of stress management tool that can assist in alleviating depression and anxiety disorders...
- Subjective Sleep Quality and hormonal modulation in long-term yoga practitionersFrancisca M Vera
Department of Psychobiology and Methodology, Faculty of Psychology, University of Malaga, Campus de Teatinos, Malaga, Spain
Biol Psychol 81:164-8. 2009b>Yoga represents a fascinating mind-body approach, wherein body movements (asana), breathing exercises (pranayama) and meditation are integrated into a single multidimensional practice...
- Stress, inflammation, and yoga practiceJanice K Kiecolt-Glaser
Department of Psychiatry, Institute for Behavioral Medicine Research, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Psychosom Med 72:113-21. 2010To address the mechanisms underlying hatha yoga's potential stress-reduction benefits, we compared inflammatory and endocrine responses of novice and expert yoga practitioners before, during, and after a restorative hatha yoga session, as ..
- Complications of yogaA S Kashyap
Department of Endocrinology, Command Hospital Southern Command, Pune 411 040, India
Emerg Med J 24:231. 2007
- Antidepressant efficacy and hormonal effects of Sudarshana Kriya Yoga (SKY) in alcohol dependent individualsA Vedamurthachar
National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India
J Affect Disord 94:249-53. 2006Sudarshana Kriya Yoga (SKY) has demonstrable antidepressant effects. SKY was tested for this effect in inpatients of alcohol dependence.
- Effect of Iyengar yoga therapy for chronic low back painKimberly Anne Williams
Dept Community Medicine, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Pain 115:107-17. 2005..A randomized control trial was conducted in subjects with non-specific chronic low back pain comparing Iyengar yoga therapy to an educational control group. Both programs were 16 weeks long...
- The effects of yoga on hypertensive persons in ThailandRuth McCaffrey
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL 33431, USA
Holist Nurs Pract 19:173-80. 2005To determine the effectiveness of a yoga program on blood pressure and stress, a group of hypertensive patients in Thailand were studied, with the experimental group showing significantly decreased mean stress scores and blood pressure, ..
- Improvement in hand grip strength in normal volunteers and rheumatoid arthritis patients following yoga trainingM Dash
Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation, No. # 9, 1st Main, Chamarajpet, Bangalore-560 018
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 45:355-60. 2001The present study aimed at assessing the effects of a set of yoga practices on normal adults (n = 37), children (n = 86), and patients with rheumatoid arthritis (n = 20)...
- A randomized trial of yoga for adolescents with irritable bowel syndromeLeora Kuttner
University of British Columbia, British Columbia Children s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada kuttner sfu ca
Pain Res Manag 11:217-23. 2006..Mind-body approaches such as yoga have been recommended as interventions for patients with IBS...
- Post traumatic stress symptoms and heart rate variability in Bihar flood survivors following yoga: a randomized controlled studyShirley Telles
Department of Yoga Research, Patanjali Yogpeeth, Delhi Haridwar Highway Haridwar 249402, India
BMC Psychiatry 10:18. 2010An earlier study showed that a week of yoga practice was useful in stress management after a natural calamity...
- Restorative yoga for women with ovarian or breast cancer: findings from a pilot studySuzanne C Danhauer
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1082, USA
J Soc Integr Oncol 6:47-58. 2008b>Yoga has demonstrated benefit in healthy individuals and those with various health conditions. There are, however, few systematic studies to support the development of yoga interventions for cancer patients...
- Effect of a gentle Iyengar yoga program on gait in the elderly: an exploratory studyMargarete DiBenedetto
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, 22908, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 86:1830-7. 2005To determine if a tailored yoga program could improve age-related changes in hip extension, stride length, and associated indices of gait function in healthy elders, changes that have been linked to increased risk for falls, dependency, ..
- Hatha yoga for depression: critical review of the evidence for efficacy, plausible mechanisms of action, and directions for future researchLisa A Uebelacker
Brown University School of Medicine and Butler Hospital 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, RI 02906, USA
J Psychiatr Pract 16:22-33. 2010The purpose of this article is to review the evidence for the efficacy of hatha yoga for depression and possible mechanisms by which yoga may have an impact on depression, and to outline directions for future research.
- Effect of integrated yoga on stress and heart rate variability in pregnant womenMaharana Satyapriya
Division of Yoga and Life Sciences, Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation, Bangalore, India
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 104:218-22. 2009To study the effect of integrated yoga practice and guided yogic relaxation on both perceived stress and measured autonomic response in healthy pregnant women.
- The 'world of yoga': the production and reproduction of therapeutic landscapesAnne Cécile Hoyez
Department of Geography, Université de Rennes 2 Haute Bretagne, Campus Villejean, Place du Recteur Henri Le Moal, 35043 Rennes Cedex, France
Soc Sci Med 65:112-24. 2007b>Yoga is becoming more and more fashionable all around the world. This activity, partly considered as therapeutic, reveals contemporary ways of producing global practices...
- Effects of yoga on natural killer cell counts in early breast cancer patients undergoing conventional treatment. Comment to: recreational music-making modulates natural killer cell activity, cytokines, and mood states in corporate employees Masatada WachiRaghavendra M Rao
Med Sci Monit 14:LE3-4. 2008
- Integrating yoga into cancer careSusan A DiStasio
Connecticut Oncology Hematology Associates, Torrington
Clin J Oncol Nurs 12:125-30. 2008Although yoga has been practiced in Eastern culture for thousands of years as part of life philosophy, classes in the United States only recently have been offered to people with cancer...
- Restorative yoga in adults with metabolic syndrome: a randomized, controlled pilot trialBeth E Cohen
Department of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, California 94121, USA
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 6:223-9. 2008Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Yoga improves some metabolic parameters, but it has not been studied in persons with metabolic syndrome...
- Modulation of cardiac autonomic balance with adjuvant yoga therapy in patients with refractory epilepsyT N Sathyaprabha
Department of Neurophysiology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, India
Epilepsy Behav 12:245-52. 2008The practice of yoga regulates body physiology through control of posture, breathing, and meditation...
- Yoga therapy as an add-on treatment in the management of patients with schizophrenia--a randomized controlled trialG Duraiswamy
Department of Psychiatry, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore 560029, India
Acta Psychiatr Scand 116:226-32. 2007Treatment of schizophrenia has remained unsatisfactory despite the availability of antipsychotics. This study examined the efficacy of yoga therapy (YT) as an add-on treatment to the ongoing antipsychotic treatment.
- Randomized controlled trial of yoga and exercise in multiple sclerosisB S Oken
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97239, USA
Neurology 62:2058-64. 2004To determine the effect of yoga and of aerobic exercise on cognitive function, fatigue, mood, and quality of life in multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Effect of short term yoga practice on ventilatory function testsK Makwana
Department of Physiology, M G M Medical College, Indore
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 32:202-8. 1988Twentyfive normal male volunteers undergoing a ten weeks course in the practice of yoga have been studied by some parameters of ventilatory functions tests...
- Yoga lifestyle intervention reduces blood pressure in HIV-infected adults with cardiovascular disease risk factorsW T Cade
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, 4940 Parkview Place, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
HIV Med 11:379-88. 2010..We conducted a prospective, randomized, controlled study to evaluate whether a yoga lifestyle intervention improves CVD risk factors, virological or immunological status, or quality of life (QOL) in ..
- Effect of yoga training on handgrip, respiratory pressures and pulmonary function- Mandanmohan
Department of Physiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research JIPMER, Pondicherry 605 006
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 47:387-92. 2003Although there are a number of reports on the effect of yoga training on pulmonary functions, very few studies have been undertaken on the effect of yoga training on respiratory pressures and handgrip endurance...
- Cardiovascular Effects of lyengar YogaRaymond Townsend; Fiscal Year: 2006..However, mind-body therapies (MBT) such as mediation and yoga are gaining popularity in managing elevations in blood pressure...
- Lifestyle Modification and blood Pressure Study (LIMBS)Debbie L Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2010Hypertension prevalence continues to increase in the United States. Yoga, a form of mind body therapy has become increasingly popular in the United States and represents an alternative to drug therapy...
- Morgan State University-Public Health Program-CAM Research Training Program (InstYvonne Bronner; Fiscal Year: 2007..To date MSU-PHP CAM Fellows have investigated the relationship of Yoga to hypertension, black tea and lipid excretion, concordance of practitioner/patient beliefs on CAM treatment ..
- Academic Career Development in CAM Research and EducationROBERT SAPER; Fiscal Year: 2007..with low income populations, my first specific aim is to conduct a randomized controlled feasibility trial of hatha yoga classes versus a wait list control group for 30 low income English and Spanish speaking individuals with chronic ..
- Massage Therapy In Eccentric Exercise Induced Muscle Weakness And InflammationThomas Best; Fiscal Year: 2009..numbers of people have turned to alternative approaches including myofacial release, massage, acupuncture, and yoga. According to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA, http://www.amtamassage...
- Massage Therapy In Eccentric Exercise Induced Muscle Weakness And InflammationTHOMAS MICHAEL BEST; Fiscal Year: 2010..numbers of people have turned to alternative approaches including myofacial release, massage, acupuncture, and yoga. According to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA, http://www.amtamassage...
- Safe & Effective Yoga Prescription for Older Adults: Biomechanical ConsiderationsGeorge Salem; Fiscal Year: 2009..S. Department of Health & Human Services and the National Recreation & Park Association both recommend Yoga as a form of total-solution exercise for older adults, capable of providing cardiovascular fitness, resistance ..
- Quantification of Outcome Measures for Mind Body InterventionsHerbert Benson; Fiscal Year: 2010..these issues with a randomized controlled trial of an 8-week intervention with three treatment arms of meditation, yoga and a stress-education behavioral placebo control in normal, healthy subjects with moderate to severe perceived ..
- MBSR Intervention to reduce stress in AD caregiversLisa Fredman; Fiscal Year: 2007Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a mind-body technique that incorporates mindfulness meditation, yoga, and cognitive reappraisal with the goal of self-managing the psychological and physical distress resulting from stress, as ..
- A New Translational Tool for Studying the Role of Breathing in Meditation.Margaret Ann Chesney; Fiscal Year: 2009Breathing exercises, alone or as a component of mind-body interventions such as meditation and yoga, have potential for amelioration of a wide range of acute and chronic disorders...
- Yoga, Health, and MeditationFrederick Hecht; Fiscal Year: 2004The UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine (OCIM) and the Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana (SVYASA) propose to create an international collaboration for research on the health effects of yoga...
- Prenatal Depression and a Yoga InterventionTiffany M Field; Fiscal Year: 2010..Inasmuch as yoga, like massage, stimulates pressure receptors, it might be expected to have effects and underlying mechanisms that ..
- A Wirelss Wearable System to Measure Adherence to Mind-Body Study ProtocolsPaul Gibson; Fiscal Year: 2007..torso motion and compare it to stored reference profiles to evaluate adherence to body movement protocols such as yoga, meditation postures, and tai chi...
- Complementary and Integrative Medicine Training ProgramMary Charlson; Fiscal Year: 2007..bio-organic extracts); and psychobiological medicine (meditation, social support, guided imagery, spirituality, yoga, tai chi, and aerobic exercise)...
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction & Myocardial IschemiaDavid Sheps; Fiscal Year: 2007..Further, some studies have reported positive results with coronary risk factors using meditation and yoga. Current clinical meditation literature suggests that a mindfulness meditation based stress reduction program (i.e...
- Effects of Energy Healers on AtherosclerosisJoan Fox; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is growing interest in the use of interventional programs that include practices such as meditation and yoga that are based on Eastern spiritual philosophies...
- Restorative Yoga for Therapy of the Metabolic Syndrome (RHYTHMS) studyAlka Kanaya; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Yoga is an ancient self-awareness system that combines the use of body postures, breathing, and mental focus...
- Efficacy of Yoga for Self-Management of Dyspnea in COPDVirginia Carrieri Kohlman; Fiscal Year: 2003..b>Yoga practice is a complementary therapy that people use to manage their dyspnea...
- Yoga for the Management of HIV-Metabolic SyndromesKevin Yarasheski; Fiscal Year: 2007..The ancient practice of a Yoga lifestyle has been re-popularized as a complementary, non-traditional treatment for metabolic, anthropomorphic, and ..
- Breast Cancer Survivors: Physical Activity, Inflammation, Fatigue, and DistressJanice Kiecolt Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2007..clinical trial, building on preliminary studies that have demonstrated anti-inflammatory changes associated with yoga. A total of 200 stage I, II, and Ilia breast cancer survivors will be recruited, ages 40 and older; the women will ..
- Primary Care Treatment for Overweight Adolescent FemalesVictor Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2007..The activity portion of our intervention includes a yoga-based component to promote body awareness in a no threatening manner for overweight adolescents...