Summary: The self administration of medication not prescribed by a physician or in a manner not directed by a physician.
Publications266 found, 100 shown here
- Herbal, prescribed, and over-the-counter drug use in older women: prevalence of drug interactionsSaunjoo L Yoon
University of Florida College of Nursing, Gainesville, USA
Geriatr Nurs 27:118-29. 2006..It is imperative that health care providers identify all prescribed, OTC, and herbal drugs taken by their patients and assess all interactions in order to avoid the possibility of adverse drug effects...
- Self medication with St. John's wort in depressive disorders: an observational study in community pharmaciesMichael Linden
Research Group Psychosomatic Rehabilitation at the Charité University Medicine Berlin, Germany
J Affect Disord 107:205-10. 2008Depressive disorders are frequent. They are frequently unrecognised or sufferers use self help or self medication, e.g. with St. John's wort (SJW), instead of seeking professional help...
- Benefits and risks of self medicationC M Hughes
School of Pharmacy, The Queen s University of Belfast, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Drug Saf 24:1027-37. 2001b>Self medication is becoming an increasingly important area within healthcare. It moves patients towards greater independence in making decisions about management of minor illnesses, thereby promoting empowerment...
- The use during pregnancy of prescription, over-the-counter, and alternative medications among Hispanic womenJennifer Bercaw
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Birth 37:211-8. 2010....
- Prior knowledge, older age, and higher allowance are risk factors for self-medication with antibiotics among university students in southern ChinaHui Pan
Shantou Oxford Clinical Research Unit, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou, Guangdong, PR China
PLoS ONE 7:e41314. 2012..The objective of this study was to evaluate knowledge and behaviors of university students and risk factors concerning SMA...
- Factors associated with medicine use and self medication are different in adolescentsAugusto César Ferreira de Moraes
Children s Institute, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:1149-55. 2011....
- Self-medication practices with antibiotics and antimalarials among Sudanese undergraduate university studentsAbdelmoneim I Awad
Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Kuwait University, Kuwait City, Kuwait
Ann Pharmacother 41:1249-55. 2007..In many developing countries, up to 60-80% of health problems are self-medicated...
- Nicotine use in schizophrenia: the self medication hypothesesVeena Kumari
Department of Psychology, Institute of Psychiatry, London SE5 8AF, UK
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 29:1021-34. 2005....
- Attitude and use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in NigeriaTitilayo O Fakeye
Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Administration, University of Ibadan, Nigeria
BMC Complement Altern Med 9:53. 2009..The use of herbal medicines among pregnant women in Nigeria has not been widely studied...
- Self-medication with antibiotics in a Swedish general populationEmma Svensson
Department of Public Health Sciences, Division of International Health IHCAR, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Scand J Infect Dis 36:450-2. 2004..The antibiotics used were in all but 3 cases reported to have been obtained with a prescription. Thus, prescribers are the primary target for interventions to optimize antibiotic use...
- Reasons for increased substance use in psychosisLynsey Gregg
Division of Clinical Psychology, School of Psychological Sciences, University of Manchester, Rutherford House, Manchester Science Park, Manchester, United Kingdom
Clin Psychol Rev 27:494-510. 2007..for an 'alleviation of dysphoria' model of substance use but there is little empirical support for the self medication hypothesis, or for common factor models and bidirectional models of comorbidity...
- Sex--differences on self-medication in SpainPilar Carrasco-Garrido
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Rey Juan Carlos University, Alcorcon, Madrid, Spain
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 19:1293-9. 2010..This study mainly aimed at describing the factors associated with self-medicated consumption of drugs in Spain from a gender perspective...
- Medicine use from birth to age two years: the 2004 Pelotas (Brazil) Birth Cohort studyEdilson Almeida de Oliveira
Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Sao Leopoldo, RS, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 44:591-600. 2010..To describe medicine use by children at three, 12 and 24 months of age...
- Self-medication with antibiotics and antimalarials in the community of Khartoum State, SudanAbdelmoneim Awad
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kuwait University Safat, Kuwait
J Pharm Pharm Sci 8:326-31. 2005To estimate the prevalence of self medication with antibiotics and antimalarials in Khartoum State, Sudan and evaluate factors associated with self medication.
- Self-medication with antibiotics in rural population in Greece: a cross-sectional multicenter studyEystathios Skliros
3rd Department of Internal Medicine and Center of Diabetes, General Hospital of Nikaia Ag, Panteleimon, Piraeus, Greecee
BMC Fam Pract 11:58. 2010..The aim of the present study was to estimate the use of antibiotics, without medical prescription, in a sample of rural population presenting in primary care in southern Greece...
- The inventory of antibiotics in Russian home medicine cabinetsL S Stratchounski
Institute of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, Smolensk State Medical Academy, Smolensk, Russia
Clin Infect Dis 37:498-505. 2003..8%), intestinal disorders (11.3%), fever (9%), and sore throat (6.8%). According to this study, antibiotics are widely stocked among the general population in Russia, and people use antibiotics in an uncontrolled and imprudent manner...
- Medicine use among adolescents: the 11-year follow-up of the 1993 Pelotas (Brazil) birth cohort studyAndrea D Bertoldi
Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos, Av Unisinos 950, Sao Leopoldo, RS, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 26:1945-53. 2010..A direct association was observed between maternal use of hypnotic drugs and sedatives and adolescent medicine use. It is essential to implement educational policies aimed at promoting rational use of medicines by adolescents...
- Drug utilisation and self-medication in rural communities in VietnamJunko Okumura
Department of International Community Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Soc Sci Med 54:1875-86. 2002..More attention should be given to consumers and patients as the ultimate users of drugs so that they can access accurate information, assess the reliability of information and ask necessary questions...
- A cross sectional study of sex differences in self-medication practices among university students in SloveniaZalika Klemenc-Ketis
University of Maribor, Medical Faculty, Department of Family Medicine, Maribor, Slovenia
Coll Antropol 35:329-34. 2011..The physicians should actively seek the presence of self-medication in this population. Inappropriate or unsafe use should be properly addressed and managed...
- Assessment of drug use among pregnant women in Addis Ababa, EthiopiaBinyam Kebede
Department of Pharmaceutics, School of Pharmacy, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 18:462-8. 2009..To assess the drug use among antenatal care (ANC) attendant pregnant women in Addis Ababa...
- Indigenous healing practices and self-medication amongst pregnant women in Cape Town, South AfricaNaeemah Abrahams
Gender and Health Research Group, South African Medical Research Council, P O Box 19070, Tygerberg 7505, Cape Town, South Africa
Afr J Reprod Health 6:79-86. 2002..There is, therefore, an urgent need to bridge the gap between orthodox and indigenous medical systems through reciprocal learning and by acknowledging each other's roles...
- Self-medication among children and adolescents in Germany: results of the National Health Survey for Children and Adolescents (KiGGS)Yong Du
Department of Epidemiology and Health Monitoring, Division of Non Communicable Disease Epidemiology, Robert Koch Institute, D 12101 Berlin, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 68:599-608. 2009..The aim was to investigate the prevalence and correlates of self-medication use among non-institutionalized children in Germany, focusing on the paediatric self-medications that are most frequently used...
- Patterns of use and public perception of over-the-counter pain relievers: focus on nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugsC Mel Wilcox
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0007, USA
J Rheumatol 32:2218-24. 2005..To assess the frequency and indications for over-the-counter (OTC) nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) use and to what degree the public is aware of their side effects...
- Determinants of self-medication with antibiotics in Europe: the impact of beliefs, country wealth and the healthcare systemLarissa Grigoryan
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:1172-9. 2008..We studied the impact of predisposing factors (e.g. attitudes and knowledge concerning antibiotic use and self-medication) and enabling factors (country wealth and healthcare system factors) on self-medication with antibiotics in Europe...
- Self-medication in a Portuguese urban population: a prevalence studyAna Paula Martins
Centro de Estudos de Farmacoepidemiologia da Associação Nacional das Farmácias, Lisboa, Portugal
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 11:409-14. 2002..To determine the prevalence of self-medication in a Portuguese urban population. To assess the feasibility of performing these studies in community pharmacies...
- Self-medication with antibiotics in LithuaniaAusra Berzanskyte
Department of Public Health Research, Institute of Hygiene, Vilnius, Lithuania
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 19:246-53. 2006..This study was performed to estimate the prevalence of antibiotic use in the general population of Lithuania with special interest in self-medication with antibiotics and sources of their acquisition...
- Family self-medication and antibiotics abuse for children and juveniles in a Chinese cityP Bi
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, The University of Queensland, Herston, Australia
Soc Sci Med 50:1445-50. 2000..7%. Logistic regression analysis showed that there were significant associations between self-medication and payment of the mother's medical fees by employers, severity of diseases as well as the mother's educational level...
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of medical students towards self medication at Ain Shams University, EgyptN F A El Ezz
Faculty of Medicine, Ain Shams University, Egypt
J Prev Med Hyg 52:196-200. 2011b>Self medication is usually defined as intake of any type of drugs for treating oneself without professional supervision to relieve an illness or a condition. Self medication is an issue with serious global implications...
- Reasons for substance use among people with psychotic disorders: method triangulation approachLouise K Thornton
Centre for Brain and Mental Health Research, University of Newcastle, University Drive, Callaghan, NSW, Australia
Psychol Addict Behav 26:279-88. 2012....
- Self-treatment for malaria: the evidence and methodological issuesS C McCombie
Department of Anthropology and Geography, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303 3083, USA
Health Policy Plan 17:333-44. 2002..Each treatment step should be considered in terms of four levels of analysis: who provided the treatment or advice, what the treatment was, where it was obtained and when it was taken in relationship to onset of illness...
- Evaluation of abuse and dependence on drugs used for self-medication: a pharmacoepidemiological pilot study based on community pharmacies in FranceLudivine Orriols
Unité de Pharmacoépidémiologie, EA 3696 Université de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Drug Saf 32:859-73. 2009..Some of these drugs contain psychoactive substances with a potential for abuse and dependence. However, there is a lack of data concerning their problematic use in a wide population...
- Self-treatment patterns among adolescent girls with dysmenorrheaKatharine O'Connell
Columbia University Medical Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 19:285-9. 2006..To describe both non-pharmacologic and pharmacologic treatments used by adolescents with dysmenorrhea...
- Attraction to cannabis among men with schizophrenia: a phenomenological studyNathalie Francoeur
Psychiatry Mental Health, Edmundston Regional Hospital, Edmundston, New Brunswick, Canada
Can J Nurs Res 42:132-49. 2010..The findings may be useful for nurses working with persons who have schizophrenia, a population that is frequently stigmatized and unheard...
- [Self-medication with over-the-counter (OTC) preparations in Germany]R Beitz
Klinisches Forschungszentrum Frauengesundheit, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin, Berlin
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 47:1043-50. 2004..Beside prescribed medication, self-medication with OTC drugs is an important part of drug usage for men and women in Germany. Health consciousness appears to be a significant factor to explain the prevalence OTC drug use...
- Improving malaria home treatment by training drug retailers in rural KenyaV M Marsh
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Collaborative Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
Trop Med Int Health 9:451-60. 2004..These findings strongly support the inclusion of private drug retailers in control strategies aiming to improve prompt effective treatment of malaria...
- A survey of primary care physicians' perceptions of their patients' use of complementary medicineS M Giveon
General Sick Fund, Tel Aviv, Israel
Complement Ther Med 11:254-60. 2003..To study the perceptions and attitudes of primary care physicians concerning their patients' use of complementary medicine...
- Determinants of self medication practices among pregnant women in Ibadan, NigeriaKazeem B Yusuff
Department of Pharmacy Administration and Practice, Faculty of Pharmacy, Rhodes University, Grahamstown, 6140, South Africa
Int J Clin Pharm 33:868-75. 2011..Setting Antenatal clinics at the major antenatal care facility in Ibadan, south-western Nigeria...
- Topical anesthetic abuse keratitis secondary to floppy eyelid syndromeYakov Goldich
Department of Ophthalmology, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Cornea 30:105-6. 2011..To report the diagnosis and management of a patient with chronic ophthalmic topical anesthetic abuse and floppy eyelid syndrome...
- Bambuí Project: a qualitative approach to self-medicationAntônio I de Loyola Filho
Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou, Fundacao Oswaldo Cruz, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Cad Saude Publica 20:1661-9. 2004....
- [A study of self-medication in a neighborhood in Bogotá]Jose J Lopez
Departamento de Farmacia, Universidad Nacional de Colombia
Rev Salud Publica (Bogota) 11:432-42. 2009..Establishing the prevalence of people living in the Suba district of Bogotá using medication at their own risk and determining the factors related to it...
- A descriptive study of self-medication practices among Palestinian medical and nonmedical university studentsAnsam F Sawalha
An Najah National University, Pharmacology Toxicology, Nablus, West Bank, 972, Palestine
Res Social Adm Pharm 4:164-72. 2008..The implications of self-medication practices are increasingly recognized around the world; however, little has been reported on the extent of self-medication practiced in Palestine...
- Over-the-counter medication and herbal or dietary supplement use in college: dose frequency and relationship to self-reported distressMichael J Stasio
Psychology Department, University of Tampa, FL 33606, USA
J Am Coll Health 56:535-47. 2008..There is concern about the efficacy and safety of these products, particularly because students appear to use them at a higher rate than does the general public...
- Patterns of prescription and self-medication for treating primary dysmenorrhea in a Mexican populationMario I Ortiz
Laboratorio de Farmacología Del Area Académica de Medicina del Instituto de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Hidalgo, Mexico
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 50:165-7. 2007..5%), paracetamol (5.6%) butylhyoscine alone (4%) and ibuprofen (4%). Our data suggest that dysmenorrheic women use numerous drugs by self-medication for pain but infrequently accessed formal medical care...
- Antimicrobial drugs in the home, United KingdomCliodna A M McNulty
Health Protection Agency, Gloucester, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1523-6. 2006..Of respondents with leftover drugs, 44% kept them in case of future need, and 18% had taken these drugs without medical advice...
- [Self-medication in adolescence: a challenge to health education]Ilane Magalhães Silva
Universidade de Fortaleza, Fortaleza, CE 60811 341
Cien Saude Colet 16:1651-60. 2011....
- Dysmenorrhea among Japanese womenS Ohde
Clinical Practice Evaluation and Research Center, St Luke s Life Science Institute, St Luke s International Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 100:13-7. 2008..To investigate the epidemiology of dysmenorrhea in Japanese women of menstrual age...
- Utilization of antimicrobial agents with and without prescription by out-patients in selected pharmacies in South-eastern NigeriaCharles Okey Esimone
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, 410001, Enugu State, Nigeria
Pharm World Sci 29:655-60. 2007....
- [Self-medication and health academic staff]Daniela Silva de Aquino
Departamento de Farmacia, Faculdades Integradas da Vitória de Santo Antão, Recife, PE, 50610 000
Cien Saude Colet 15:2533-8. 2010..9%) and the main reason was pain (30.5%). The drug utilization among academic students in Recife City is high but it is inside the parameter according to others analysis. However we have expected a low and more rationalized utilization...
- Self-medication with antibiotics in Jordanian populationSayer I Al-Azzam
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid, Jordan
Int J Occup Med Environ Health 20:373-80. 2007..A survey was conducted to estimate the prevalence of self-medication with antibiotics in Jordan and evaluate the factors associated with antibiotic misuse...
- Content of home pharmacies and self-medication practices in households of pharmacy and medical students in Zagreb, Croatia: findings in 2001 with a reference to 1977Vedrana Aljinović-Vucić
Laboratory for Neuropharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, Zagreb University School of Medicine, Salata 11, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 46:74-80. 2005..To evaluate the content of household drug supplies and self-medication practice among medical and pharmacy students at Zagreb University in 2001, and to relate the findings to a previous survey in 1977...
- Public perception on the role of community pharmacists in self-medication and self-care in Hong KongJoyce H You
School of Public Health and Primary Care, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, N T, Hong Kong
BMC Clin Pharmacol 11:19. 2011..This study was to examine Hong Kong public knowledge, attitudes and behaviours regarding self-medication, self-care and the role of pharmacists in self-care...
- Self medication practices among workers in a tertiary hospital in NigeriaE A Bamgboye
Department of Epidemiology, Medical Statistics and Environmental Health, Faculty of Public Health, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Afr J Med Med Sci 35:411-5. 2006Studies in most developing countries revealed (70-95%) of illnesses are treated through self medication. Poor accessibility to medical services have been associated with this practice...
- Self-treatment of malaria in a rural area of western KenyaT K Ruebush
Division of Parasitic Diseases F 22, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC, Chamblee, GA 30341 3724, USA
Bull World Health Organ 73:229-36. 1995..Greatly increased attention should be paid to the role of home treatment of malaria when policies are being developed for the management of febrile illnesses in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Self-medication with antimicrobial drugs in EuropeLarissa Grigoryan
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Emerg Infect Dis 12:452-9. 2006..Younger age, higher education, and presence of a chronic disease were associated with higher rates of self-medication. Attempts to reduce inappropriate self-medication should target prescribers, pharmacists, and the general public...
- Irrational use of antibiotics among university studentsCagri Buke
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Bornova, 35110 Izmir, Turkey
J Infect 51:135-9. 2005..The aim of the presented study was to evaluate the knowledge, attitude and behaviour of antibiotic usage in the student groups of a University in a country where the antibiotics are taken without prescriptions...
- Self-medication with antibiotics for the treatment of menstrual symptoms in Southwest Nigeria: a cross-sectional studyAmy R Sapkota
Maryland Institute for Applied Environmental Health, University of Maryland College Park, School of Public Health, College Park, MD, USA
BMC Public Health 10:610. 2010..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of self-medication with antibiotics for the treatment of menstrual symptoms among university women in Southwest Nigeria...
- Self-medication in children and adolescentsFrancis S V T Pereira
Departamento de Farmacologia, Faculdade de Ciências Médicas FCM, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 83:453-8. 2007....
- Factors influencing the pattern of self-medication in an adult Nigerian populationA O Afolabi
Department of Dental Services, Federal Medical Centre, OWO, Ondo State, Nigeria
Ann Afr Med 7:120-7. 2008..This informed the conduct of this study to determine the major factors that influence the pattern of self medication in a population of market women in Ifako-Ijaiye area of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Managing osteoarthritis. Medication use among seniors in the communityBeverley Lawson
Department of Family Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
Can Fam Physician 50:1664-70. 2004..To determine what types of medication seniors in the community were using to manage osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Home medicine chests and their relationship with self-medication in children and adolescentsFrancis S V Tourinho
Departamento de Pediatria, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
J Pediatr (Rio J) 84:416-22. 2008..To investigate the contents of home medicine chests and their relationship with self-medication in children and adolescents in the towns of Limeira and Piracicaba, SP, Brazil...
- A qualitative study of illicit and non-prescribed drug use amongst people with psychotic disordersVikki Charles
National Addiction Centre, Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, London, UK
J Ment Health 19:99-106. 2010..The reasons for drug use amongst people with psychosis are poorly understood...
- Self-medication among healthcare and non-healthcare students at University of Ljubljana, SloveniaZalika Klemenc-Ketis
Department of Family Medicine, Medical School, University of Maribor, Maribor, Slovenia
Med Princ Pract 19:395-401. 2010..To determine the incidence of self-medication among University of Ljubljana students and the effect of the type of curriculum on the pattern of self-medication...
- Substance use in severe mental illness: self-medication and vulnerability factorsJacopo Vittoriano Bizzarri
Servizio per le Dipendenze, Azienda Sanitaria di Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Psychiatry Res 165:88-95. 2009..The relationships between SUD and psychosis should be examined systematically and clarified in longitudinal studies...
- Is medicine use in adolescence risk behavior? Cross-sectional survey of school-aged children from 11 to 15Anette Andersen
Department of Social Medicine, University of Copenhagen, Institute of Public Health, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Adolesc Health 39:362-6. 2006..To examine the association between smoking, drunkenness, and medicine use for headache, stomachache, difficulties in getting to sleep, and nervousness in a representative sample of 11- to 15-year-old school-aged children...
- Evaluation of the knowledge, attitude and practice of self-medication among first-year medical studentsHenry James
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Kingdom of Bahrain
Med Princ Pract 15:270-5. 2006..This study was undertaken to determine the knowledge, attitude and practice of self-medication among first-year medical students of the Arabian Gulf University, Bahrain...
- Self-medication amongst university students of Karachi: prevalence, knowledge and attitudesSyed Nabeel Zafar
Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 58:214-7. 2008..To determine the prevalence, attitude and knowledge of self-medication amongst university students of Karachi, Pakistan...
- Self-reported medication use among adolescents in KuwaitEman Abahussain
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Faculty of Pharmacy, Kuwait University, Safat, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 14:161-4. 2005..The objectives of this study were to describe and examine the pattern of medication use, including age and gender differences among adolescents in Kuwait, and to establish the sources of information on medicines in this age group...
- Rational antibiotic use and academic staffA Cagri Buke
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Bornova Izmir, Turkey
Int J Antimicrob Agents 21:63-6. 2003..It is concluded that priority should be given to knowledge-based behaviour education programmes for the more highly educated community; there must also be restriction on the sale of antibiotics without prescription...
- The use of nonprescription medicines among elderly patients with chronic illness and their need for pharmacist interventionsKyrillos Guirguis
Outreach Medication Review OMR Program, St Vincent s Hospital, Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
Consult Pharm 25:433-9. 2010..This study examines the prevalence of OTC/CM products used among chronically ill elderly patients and the types of pharmacist interventions the patients need. Gender differences were also investigated...
- Traditional medicine in Bulamogi county, Uganda: its practitioners, users and viabilityJ R S Tabuti
Department of Biology and Nature Conservation IBN, Agricultural University of Norway, P O Box 5014, N 1432 As, Norway
J Ethnopharmacol 85:119-29. 2003..Some effort has been taken to recognise and integrate TM into the mainstream health care delivery system of Uganda...
- [Prevalence and factors associated with self-medication: the Bambuí health survey]Antônio Ignácio de Loyola Filho
Núcleo de Estudos em Saúde Pública e Envelhecimento NESPE, Centro de Pesquisas René Rachou da Fundação Oswaldo Cruz, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 36:55-62. 2002..A population-based study was carried out in the municipality of Bambuí, Brazil (population: approx. 15,000 inhabitants), to determine the prevalence of self-medication and its associated factors...
- Dangers of self-prescribing and prescribing for family membersMarilyn Price
The Law and Behavioral Health Program, Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Med Health R I 90:178-81. 2007
- Antimicrobial self medication for reproductive tract infections in two provinces in Lao People's Democratic RepublicA Sihavong
IHCAR, Karolinska Institutet, SE 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Sex Transm Infect 82:182-6. 2006To describe antimicrobial self medication for reproductive tract infections (RTI) including sexually transmitted infections (STI), and to explore the understanding and use of health information among the adult population self medicating ..
- Polypharmacy in a headache centre populationL N Oates
John R. Graham Headache Centre, Faulkner Hospital, Boston, Mass. 02130
Headache 33:436-8. 1993..Thirty-one different medications were named by patients for a mix of diagnoses...
- Societal perspectives on over-the-counter (OTC) medicinesMayyada Wazaify
Department of Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Fam Pract 22:170-6. 2005..Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines are increasingly used for self-medication, but such products can be misused/abused...
- Self-medication: from European regulatory directives to therapeutic strategyJean Francois Bergmann
Service de Medecine Interne, Hopital Lariboisiere, 2, rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:275-80. 2003..and describes some situations where specific clinical trials are needed for a new drug to be registered as a self medication. These drugs not only have to offer a very positive safety profile but also a well-established level of ..
- International survey of self-reported medicine use among adolescentsEbba H Hansen
Pharmaceutical University of Denmark, Department of Social Pharmacy, Copenhagen, Denmark
Ann Pharmacother 37:361-6. 2003..To examine gender, age, and country variations in adolescents' self-reported medicine use...
- Self-medication and non-doctor prescription practices in Pokhara valley, Western Nepal: a questionnaire-based studyP R Shankar
Department of Pharmacology, Manipal College of Medical Sciences Pokhara, Nepal
BMC Fam Pract 3:17. 2002..Complementary and alternative medications, especially herbs, are also commonly used. There are few studies on the use of these medications in Pokhara Valley, Western Nepal...
- Community consumption of antibacterial drugs within the Jordanian population: sources, patterns and appropriatenessAmal G Al-Bakri
Department of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Int J Antimicrob Agents 26:389-95. 2005....
- Self-medication with antibiotics--does it really happen in Europe?Minna Heleena Väänänen
Division of Social Pharmacy, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 5 E, PL 56 Helsinki, Finland
Health Policy 77:166-71. 2006..The data were collected by a survey in the Costa del Sol region, Spain during 2002 by using a convenience sample of 1000 Finns living permanently in the area (response rate 53%, n=530)...
- Patterns of antibiotic use in the community in DenmarkMark Muscat
National Centre of Antimicrobials and Infection Control, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Infect Dis 38:597-603. 2006..While the existing legal framework preventing over-the-counter dispensation of antibiotics must be maintained, our results show that, in Denmark, interventions to optimize antibiotic use should primarily focus on the prescribers...
- Editorial: Should artemisinin-based combination treatment be used in the home-based management of malaria?U D'Alessandro
Trop Med Int Health 10:1-2. 2005
- Use of over-the-counter malaria medicines in children and adults in three districts in Kenya: implications for private medicine retailer interventionsTimothy O Abuya
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kilifi, Kenya
Malar J 6:57. 2007..Data on adult use of over-the-counter (OTC) medicines is limited. This study aimed to assess childhood and adult patterns of OTC medicine use to inform national medicine retailer programmes in Kenya and other similar settings...
- Factors associated with herbal therapy use by adults in the United StatesPaula Gardiner
Division for Research and Education in Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies, Harvard Medical School, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 13:22-9. 2007..To examine the patterns of herbal therapy use among adults in the United States and to describe factors associated with herb use...
- The general public's perceptions and use of antimicrobials in Trinidad and TobagoNeeta Parimi
Bishop Anstey High School, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
Rev Panam Salud Publica 12:11-8. 2002..To determine the general public's perceptions and use of antibiotics in Trinidad and Tobago, a two-island republic in the Caribbean...
- Self-medication profile of dental patients in Ondo State, NigeriaA O Afolabi
Department of Dental Services, Federal Medical Centre, OWO, Ondo State, Nigeria
Niger J Med 19:96-103. 2010The practice of self medication has been extensively researched but there is dearth of information about its modality among dental patients in developing countries...
- Over-the-counter acquisition of antibiotics in the Maltese general populationMichael A Borg
Infection Control Unit, St Luke s Hospital, MSD 07, Guardamangia, Malta
Int J Antimicrob Agents 20:253-7. 2002..The study indicates the need for an educational campaign on proper antibiotic use amongst the Maltese general public...
- CAM use among older adults age 65 or older with hypertension in the United States: general use and disease treatmentRonny A Bell
Division of Public Health Sciences, Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1063, USA
J Altern Complement Med 12:903-9. 2006..Although a number of antihypertensive therapies are currently available, adherence and control are low. The purpose of this study was to assess the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) among older adults with HT...
- Oral antibiotic use without consulting a physician: a survey of ED patientsP B Richman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, NJ 07962, USA
Am J Emerg Med 19:57-60. 2001..Further study is warranted to examine whether local patterns of outpatient self-prescribing affect community oral antibiotic resistance...
- Pricing, distribution, and use of antimalarial drugsS D Foster
Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, England
Bull World Health Organ 69:349-63. 1991....
- Children and medicines: self-treatment of common illnesses among Luo schoolchildren in western KenyaP W Geissler
Danish Bilharziasis Laboratory, Charlottenlund
Soc Sci Med 50:1771-83. 2000..Throughout primary school age Kenyan children are growing into a pluralistic medical practice, integrating Western pharmaceuticals into the local herbal medical system, and gradually become autonomous agents in their health care...
- Physicians' utilization of health careT J Wachtel
Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Gen Intern Med 10:261-5. 1995..Physicians appear to be low users of formal services overall, but high users of preventive care...
- An experimental study of leaf swallowing in captive chimpanzees: insights into the origin of a self-medicative behavior and the role of social learningMichael A Huffman
Primate Research Institute, Kyoto University, 41 2 Kanrin, Inuyama, Aichi 484 8506, Japan
Primates 45:113-8. 2004..This study provides support for the hypothesis that leaf swallowing originated in the wild from opportunistic feeding behavior and was later passed down in the form of a self-medicative behavioral tradition...
- Self-medication with over-the-counter drugs among elderly adultsEmelia P Amoako
University of North Carolina at Greensboro, School of Nursing, P O Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402 6170, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 29:10-5. 2003..This makes it necessary for all nurses and other clinicians providing health care to older adults to intensify efforts to educate and guard these patients and ensure appropriate use of OTC drugs...
- Nonprescribed antimicrobial drugs in Latino community, South CarolinaArch G Mainous
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina 29425, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:883-8. 2005..Many persons within the Latino community self-medicate with antimicrobial drugs obtained without a prescription both inside and outside the United States, which adds to the reservoir of antimicrobial drugs in the United States...
- Is self-medication with antibiotics in Europe driven by prescribed use?Larissa Grigoryan
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV Groningen, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:152-6. 2007..One of the triggers for using self-medication may be past experience with antibiotics prescribed by health professionals. We examined the association between prescribed use and self-medication with antibiotics...
- Self-prescribing among young Norwegian doctors: a nine-year follow-up study of a nationwide sampleErlend Hem
Department of Behavioural Sciences in Medicine, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, PO Box 1111 Blindern, NO 0317 Oslo, Norway
BMC Med 3:16. 2005..Self-prescribing among doctors is common, but no longitudinal studies have documented this issue. We studied the self-prescribing behaviour among young Norwegian physicians and the predictors of self-prescribing...
- Antibiotic use for the treatment of upper respiratory infections in a diverse communityM D McKee
Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Fam Pract 48:993-6. 1999..The purpose of our project was to assess beliefs, care-seeking behavior, use of antibiotics, and means of obtaining antibiotics for the treatment of URIs among different ethnic groups in an urban community...
- Early treatment of childhood fevers with pre-packaged antimalarial drugs in the home reduces severe malaria morbidity in Burkina FasoSodiomon Bienvenu Sirima
Centre National de Recherche et de Formation sur le Paludisme, Ministere de la Sante, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, West Africa
Trop Med Int Health 8:133-9. 2003....
- [Therapeutic itinerary of poor patients in Benin (poverty and health care)]Edgard Marius Ouendo
Unite de Recherche, Institut Régional de Santé Publique, Ouidah, Benin
Trop Med Int Health 10:179-86. 2005..There is great risk of excluding the poor in a system where patients are charged for medical care. Our objective was to identify the stages of the therapeutic itinerary of poor and nonpoor patients in case of illness...
- Increased personal medication use among Finnish physicians from 1986 to 1997Saara Töyry
Department of Public Health and General Practice, University of Kuopio, Finland
Br J Gen Pract 54:44-6. 2004..001). Among the general practitioners working in the public sector, the increase was from 31.2% to 49.3%. Gastrointestinal diseases (74%), asthma (63%) and mental disorders (62%) were the most commonly self-medicated conditions in 1997...
- Latin American Center for Malaria Research and ControlSOCRATES HERRERA VALENCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..RELEVANCE: Identify the relationship between environmental factors, parasite characteristics, household conditions and the malaria prevalence related to the epidemiology and clinical findings. ..
- Nicotine and impulsivity in an animal model of ADHDFederico Sanabria; Fiscal Year: 2011..Such validation is a critical first step for the precise identification of the mechanisms linking ADHD with nicotine dependence. ..
- Expression and Function of the Alpha 7 Nicotinic Receptor in SchizophreniaSherry Leonard; Fiscal Year: 2013..The proposed research will contribute to development of additional 17* receptor-targeted drugs for cognition. ..
- Food Reward and StressYVONNE MICHELLE ULRICH-LAI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The third aim will combine tract-tracing and lesion approaches to test the hypothesis that medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) projections to BLA are necessary for sucrose-mediated synaptic remodeling and stress dampening. ..
- Neuroendocrine Supersensitivity of 5-HT2A ReceptorsGONZALO ANDRES CARRASCO; Fiscal Year: 2010..These studies will further our understanding of the neurobiological mechanisms associated with withdrawal from cannabinoids, in order to refine therapy to reduce craving and relapse. ..
- The role of cognitive abilities in stress induced drinkingROBERT DANIEL DVORAK; Fiscal Year: 2010..Further implications include identification of "at risk" populations prior to the development of alcohol use disorders. ..
- Cannabis and Schizophrenia: Self-Medication and Agonist Treatment?Alan I Green; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finding medications that may be able to limit cannabis use and thereby reduce adverse outcomes in patients with schizophrenia is of great public health importance. ..
- The Role of Dynorphin / Kappa-Opioid Systems in Alcohol DependenceBrendan M Walker; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Nicotine, Neurotrophins and DepressionYousef Tizabi; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings may also facilitate the development and evaluation of novel antidepressants and/or compounds useful in smoking cessation. ..
- Behavioral Measurement of Negative Reinforcement in Adolescent Alcohol Use/AbuseCarl W Lejuez; Fiscal Year: 2010..If successful, this task will help understand the role of negative reinforcement processes underlying alcohol use and problems, and may be useful for the development of prevention efforts targeting this vulnerability. ..
- Neurobiology of compulsive eating.Pietro Cottone; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such information is important for understanding the etiology of eating disorders and obesity and for the development of more efficacious pharmacological treatments. ..
- Sustaining factors for stress-induced emotional feeding in femalesMark E Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Trauma, Trauma Sequela, and Alcohol Information ProcessingJennifer P Read; Fiscal Year: 2012..Knowledge from this study regarding how alcohol beliefs are affected by trauma and posttraumatic disorder (PTSD) will inform interventions designed to decrease heavy and problem drinking on college campuses. ..
- Animal model of dual diagnosisPATRICIO O'DONNELL; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Cannabis, Schizophrenia and Reward: Self-Medication and Agonist Treatment?Alan I Green; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Relationship Disruption during Incarceration and HIV Risk in African American MenMARIA RABIA KHAN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- An Animal Model of Therapeutic Self-Medication for Neuropathic PainANDREA GRACE HOHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Development of safe and effective drugs that lack abuse potential is necessary to drive down health care costs and improve quality of life in patients. ..
- Collaborative Medication Adherence for Elderly Adults in a Home EnvironmentDonald Young; Fiscal Year: 2011..The vision is that "aging in place" elders can extend their ability to live independently and safely at home, because there is high confidence in their medication adherence. ..
- Effects of Stressors on Drug Use in Young, Poor WomenZ Helen Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..Clarifying such relationship should help in the development of targeted, effective preventions and interventions to prevent transitions from drug use to abuse and dependence in adulthood. ..
- Daily Fluctuations of PTSD Symptoms and Alcohol Use Among OEF/OIF VeteransPaige Ouimette; Fiscal Year: 2012..Results will help guide front-line providers (e.g., primary care) in addressing the needs of OEF/OIF veterans with combat related PTSD and alcohol misuse. ..
- EMOTIONAL CONTROL OF SEDATIVE SELF-MEDICATION IN PTSDJOHN CASADA; Fiscal Year: 2003..More importantly, the data also will provide practical information for the clinical treatment of PTSD patients and others with anxiety who may be at risk for abusing prescription anxiolytics or alcohol. ..
- Shared Neural Circuitry in Comorbid Schizophrenia and Nicotine AddictionL Elliot Hong; Fiscal Year: 2013..An effort targeting the population most addicted to smoking may also yield novel perspectives to treat nicotine addiction in the general population. ..
- High Risk Drinking in Emerging Adult at Risk WomenDEBRA L KAYSEN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Traumatic Stress, PTSD, and Problematic Alcohol and Drug Use: Mechanisms of RiskMoira M Haller; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- ECONOMIC CONDITIONS AND DRINKING BEHAVIORCHRISTOPHER RUHM; Fiscal Year: 2000..It will also supply new information on the costs and benefits of macroeconomic stabilization policies and on the interrelationships between the economic and psychological determinants of health. ..
- Dietary Isoflavones, Tamoxifen, and Tumor GrowthWilliam Helferich; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- REINFORCING EFFECTS OF BENZODIAZEPINES IN ANXIETYJohn Roache; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- Assist Patients with Medication DecisionsQing Zeng; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Event-level associations between PTSD and Alcohol Behavior in College StudentsRACHEL LAUREN BACHRACH; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, assessing peer influences at the daily level among high-risk drinkers is novel. Results have implications for informing SMT processes as well as for college administrators aimed at intervening with high-risk problem drinkers. ..
- Alpha-Tocopherol Modulation of Xenobiotic MetabolismMaret Traber; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that our findings may well have a significant impact on current self-medication practices of the millions of Americans currently taking prescription drugs and vitamin E supplements. ..
- National Social Life, Health and Aging ProjectLINDA WAITE; Fiscal Year: 2007..C. Ascertain older adults' perceptions about the relationship of sexuality to health and their needs for physician-patient communication and health care services in this domain. ..
- BIOBEHAVIORAL CORRELATES OF ACUTE ETHANOL WITHDRAWALFrank Holloway; Fiscal Year: 1999..The last two studies will provide data on whether "hangover" actually contributes to ethanol intake, perhaps by some "self-medication" of the aversive properties of the EDE state. ..
- TREATMENT OF COCAINE-INDUCED 5-HT DYSFUNCTIONGeorge Battaglia; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- SEQUENCE OF SYMPTOM CHANGE DURING AUD OR PTSD TREATMENT FOR COMORBID PTSD/AUDTracy L Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Symptom Interpretation & Oral Health among Harlem AdultsKarolynn Siegel; Fiscal Year: 2005..In depth face-to-face, focused interviews will be conducted with 120 adults. As in several of the principal Investigator's previous federally funded investigations, qualitative research methods will be employed. ..
- DESIPRAMINE TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHRENIC COCAINE ADDICTSJeffery Wilkins; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- SELF MEDICATION AND ADOLESCENT SUBSTANCE USEAndrea Hussong; Fiscal Year: 2001..Findings will serve to determine the feasibility of these methods to inform subsequent studies of adolescent substance use. ..
- MENTAL DISORDERS AS RISK FACTORS FOR SUBSTANCE DISORDERSRonald Kessler; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Harassment, Cumulative Adversity and Drinking OutcomesJUDITH RICHMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- FACTORS INFLUENCING SUCCESS IN CIGARETTE ABSTINENCEDavid Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 1991..It is expected that knowledge gained from this research will lead to the development of new techniques for helping smokers to quit smoking permanently...
- Social Reactions, PTSD & Drinking in Sex Assault VictimsSARAH ULLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Smoking Abstinence and Impulsive Behavior: A Multi-Process ModelREBECCA ASHARE; Fiscal Year: 2009..These treatments may be particularly useful for at-risk populations (e.g., individuals who endorse ADHD symptoms or other impulse control problems). ..
- In vivo studies of Neuregulin 1 in addiction pathwaysLorna Role; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- ABUSE LIABILITY OF ETHANOL AS A HYNOTIC BY INSOMNIACSTimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2000..In the last two years, the grant focus will be on the extent to which hypnotic ethanol self-administration generalizes to daytime ethanol use. ..
- PTSD and Predictors of Residential Drug Treatment Drop OutMATTHEW TULL; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., demographics, negative affect, treatment readiness, severity of past traumatic exposure, level of drug dependence, psychiatric comorbidity). ..
- Cognitive Processes, PTSD, and Alcohol UseDebra Kaysen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Aim 4: Evaluate alcohol consumption, PTSD-specific alcohol expectancies, and PTSD severity 3 months post-trauma as predictors of alcohol use disorders 6 months post-trauma. ..
- ATTENTION AS A TARGET OF INTOXICATIONEdward Levin; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- Reducing Adverse Self-Medication Behaviors in Older Adults with HypertensionPatricia Neafsey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Healthcare utilization will be compared between the 2 groups after 52 weeks and a cost-benefit analysis conducted. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Impulsivity and the Self-Medication Model of Alcohol UseVIKTORIYA MAGID; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Racial Disparities in Diabetes in the US and the UKArch Mainous; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- LONG TERM DRUG ABUSE IN ADHDTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Juvenile Bipolar Disorder and Substance AbuseTimothy E Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since BPD is identifiable and treatable, findings from the four-year follow-up will provide valuable information to formulate prevention and early intervention strategies. ..
- Substance Abuse in ADHD GirlsTimothy Wilens; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the research, approach, and goals of this R01 application are consistent with those underscored in the PA and by the Institute of Medicine as being of the highest research priority. ..
- Maternal work schedules: Consequences for parenting and child developmentJOSEPH GRZYWACZ; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Oral Health Disparities: Actions Taken About PainJoseph Riley; Fiscal Year: 2007..This information has important health policy implications for reducing the race and ethnic disparities in oral health through interventions that facilitate access to care and utilization of appropriate services. ..
- Weaving Work and Family: Implications for Mother and ChildJOSEPH GRZYWACZ; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nonmedical Prescription Drug Use among College StudentsSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings from this research will have important implications for the understanding of the epidemiology, prevention and treatment of prescription drug abuse. ..
- Alcohol and Daily Work and Family ExperiencesJOSEPH GRZYWACZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..g., personality/dispositions, feelings of control and master, psychological wellbeing, social integration), and alcohol-related outcomes. ..
- Sexual Orientation, Substance Use and Mental HealthSEAN MCCABE; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Women's physical activity and eating habits: Influence of work-family balanceJoseph G Grzywacz; Fiscal Year: 2011..The results can also be used to inform workplace programs designed to promote healthy physical activity and eating habits. ..
- Internalizing Symptoms and Alcohol InvolvementRosa Crum; Fiscal Year: 2007....