Genomes and Genes
Summary: A solution or compound that is introduced into the RECTUM with the purpose of cleansing the COLON or for diagnostic procedures.
Publications304 found, 100 shown here
- National audit of the sensitivity of double-contrast barium enema for colorectal carcinoma, using control charts For the Royal College of Radiologists Clinical Radiology Audit Sub-CommitteeD J Tawn
Clinical Radiology Audit Sub Committee, Royal College of Radiologists, London, UK
Clin Radiol 60:558-64. 2005To audit the sensitivity of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) for colorectal carcinoma, as currently practised in UK departments of radiology.
- Randomised clinical trial: the effectiveness of Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 55730 rectal enema in children with active distal ulcerative colitisS Oliva
Pediatric Gastroenterology and Liver Unit, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 35:327-34. 2012..Intestinal microbiota manipulation, one of the pathogenetic components of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), has become an attractive therapy for ulcerative colitis (UC)...
- Therapeutic barium enema for bleeding colonic diverticula: four case series and review of the literatureJun ichi Iwamoto
Department of Gastroenterology, Tokyo Medical University Kasumigaura Hospital, Ibaraki 300 0395, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 14:6413-7. 2008..and persistent bleeding of colonic diverticular disease that could be treated with a high concentration barium enema. These four cases showed a similar pattern of bleeding whose source could not be identified...
- Intussusception associated with bacterial meningitisE Crushell
Department of Paediatrics, Sligo General Hospital, Ireland
Arch Dis Child 85:56-7. 2001..Intussusception was confirmed, and reduction was achieved by enema in both cases. Recovery was slow, and one infant developed a seizure...
- Three-year surveillance of intussusception in children in SwitzerlandMichael Buettcher
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University Children s Hospital Basel, PO Box 4005, Basel, Switzerland
Pediatrics 120:473-80. 2007..We attempted to obtain baseline data on the incidence of intussusception and its association with gastroenteritis in a cross-sectional observational study in children...
- Rates of new or missed colorectal cancer after barium enema and their risk factors: a population-based studyJonathan Toma
Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3142-8. 2008Double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) is widely used in clinical practice to detect colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- An enema formulation of alicaforsen, an antisense inhibitor of intercellular adhesion molecule-1, in the treatment of chronic, unremitting pouchitisP Miner
Oklahoma Foundation for Digestive Research, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, OK 73104, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:281-6. 2004..Two-thirds of pouchitis patients suffer recurrence. Of those who recur, one-quarter suffer from chronic, unremitting pouchitis. Current treatments for this disorder are disappointing...
- Colon cancer: comprehensive evaluation with 64-section CT colonography using water enema as intraluminal contrast agent-a pictorial reviewPhilippe Soyer
Department of Abdominal Imaging, Hôpital Lariboisière APHP, Paris, France
Clin Imaging 36:113-25. 2012Sixty-four-section CT colonography with water enema combines intracolonic neutral contrast agent with high-resolution CT images of the abdomen. Owing to submillimeter isotropic voxels, high-quality reformatted images are obtained...
- Metronidazole in the treatment of chronic radiation proctitis: clinical trialJ Cavcic
Department of Surgery, Zagreb University Hospital Center, Kispaticeva 12, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Croat Med J 41:314-8. 2000To evaluate the effectiveness of metronidazole in combination with corticosteroids in enema and mesalazine (5-aminosalicylic acid) in comparison with the same protocol without metronidazole in the treatment of chronic radiation proctitis.
- CT colonography versus double-contrast barium enema for screening of colorectal cancer: comparison of radiation burdenEmanuele Neri
Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University of Pisa, Via Paradisa, 2, 56100, Pisa, Italy
Abdom Imaging 35:596-601. 2010..CT colonography (CTC) protocol for colorectal cancer screening with that delivered by double-contrast barium enema (DCBE)...
- Utility of contrast enema for detecting anastomotic strictures after total proctocolectomy and ileal pouch-anal anastomosisDavid Dolinsky
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:25-9. 2007....
- [Coffee enema induced acute colitis]Chang Jung Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Daerim Saint Mary Hospital, Seoul, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 52:251-4. 2008Rectal enema used for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes infrequently causes colitis. In medical practice, enemas are known to incidentally bring about colitis by mechanical, thermal, or direct chemical injuries...
- Non-laxative CT colonography with barium-based faecal tagging: is additional phosphate enema beneficial and well tolerated?W Davis
Department of Specialist Radiology, University College Hospital, London, UK
Br J Radiol 84:120-5. 2011The purpose of this study was to investigate the efficacy and tolerance of an additional phosphate enema prior to non-laxative CT colonography (CTC).
- Long-term results of antegrade colonic enema in adult patients: assessment of functional resultsJ Worsøe
Department of Surgery P, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
Dis Colon Rectum 51:1523-8. 2008This retrospective study reviewed long-term results in a large group of adult patients treated with antegrade colonic enema and antegrade colonic enema combined with a colostomy.
- Colorectal cancer: screening double-contrast barium enema examination in average-risk adults older than 50 yearsJustin W Kung
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 240:725-35. 2006To retrospectively determine the diagnostic yield of double-contrast barium enema examinations performed for colorectal cancer screening of neoplasms 1 cm or larger or advanced neoplastic lesions of any size in average-risk adults older ..
- Septic shock in an elderly patient on dialysis: enema-induced rectal injury confusing the clinical pictureRavi K Bobba
J Am Geriatr Soc 52:2144. 2004
- Air enema for intussusception: is predicting the outcome important?P Ramachandran
Department of Pediatric Surgery, Kanchi Kamakoti Child s Trust Hospital, 12 A, Nageswara Road, Nungambakkam, Chennai 600034, India
Pediatr Surg Int 24:311-3. 2008Air enema is the treatment of choice for childhood intussusceptions. Although peritonitis is the established contraindication, studies have attempted to identify factors that affect the outcome of air enema...
- Assessment of water enema computed tomography: an effective imaging technique for the diagnosis of colon cancer: Colon cancer: computed tomography using a water enemaCatherine Ridereau-Zins
Departement de Radiologie, CHU Angers, 4, rue Larrey, Angers Cedex 09, 49933, France
Abdom Imaging 35:407-13. 2010The aim of this study was to assess the accuracy of water enema computed tomography (WECT) for the diagnosis of colon cancer.
- Colonic giant migrating contractions induced by glycerol enema in anesthetized ratsA Tomaru
Department of Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Research Laboratories, Kyowa Hakko Kogyo Co, Ltd, Shizuoka, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 63:525-8. 1993..v.) or clonidine (30 micrograms/kg, i.v.); and they were almost entirely suppressed by atropine (3 mg/kg, i.v.), suggesting the principal involvement of the cholinergic neural pathway...
- Colorectal cancer screening with double-contrast barium enema: a national survey of diagnostic radiologistsCarrie N Klabunde
Health Services and Economics Branch, Applied Research Program, National Cancer Institute, Executive Plaza North, Rm 4005, 6130 Executive Blvd, Bethesda, MD 20892 7344, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:1419-27. 2002..activities and beliefs about screening effectiveness and future capacity for screening with double-contrast barium enema, and compares radiologists' opinions about colorectal cancer screening with those of primary care physicians.
- Meta-analysis comparing CT colonography, air contrast barium enema, and colonoscopyAlan S Rosman
Section of Gastroenterology and Medicine Program, James J Peters VA Medical Center and Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10468, USA
Am J Med 120:203-210.e4. 2007..Published studies have reported a wide range of sensitivities and specificities for computed tomographic (CT) colonography for polyp detection, generating controversy regarding its diagnostic accuracy...
- Detection of colorectal tumors with water enema-multidetector row computed tomographyPhilippe Soyer
Department of Abdominal Imaging, Hopital Lariboisiere, AP HP, 2 rue Ambroise Pare, 75475 Paris Cedex 10, France
Abdom Imaging 37:1092-100. 2012To retrospectively determine the diagnostic capabilities of water enema-multidetector row computed tomography (WE-MDCT) in the detection of colorectal tumors.
- Barium enema evaluation of colonic involvement in endometriosisNiccolo Faccioli
Department of Radiology, University of Verona, Policlinico G B Rossi, Piazzale Scuro 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:1050-4. 2008The purpose of our study was to define the role of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) compared with laparoscopy in the diagnosis and local staging of intestinal endometriosis.
- Barium enema reduction of intussusception in a developing countryR Tota-Maharaj
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, Mt Hope, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
West Indian Med J 59:535-9. 2010To determine the current success rate of barium enema reduction of intussusception and to investigate the factors affecting successful reduction.
- Evaluation of a radiographer-provided barium enema serviceR L Law
Department of Radiology, Frenchay Hospital, North Bristol NHS Trust, Bristol, UK
Colorectal Dis 10:394-6. 2008..Radiographers performed and reported 5516 double contrast barium enemas (RDCBEs) over 4 years to October 2001. This study was undertaken to assess the accuracy of RDCBE and the sensitivity for diagnosing colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- Triple colon cancer successfully demonstrated by CT air-contrast enemaKoichi Nagata
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Dig Surg 21:10-1. 2004
- Double contrast barium enema and colorectal carcinoma: sensitivity and potential role in screeningJ S Gillespie
Department of Radiology, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast
Ulster Med J 70:15-8. 2001To establish the sensitivity of double contrast barium enema (DCBE) for detection of colorectal carcinoma in a tertiary referral centre and consider its possible role as a suitable imaging method in screening for this disease...
- Critical analysis of the performance of double-contrast barium enema for detecting colorectal polyps > or = 6 mm in the era of CT colonographyJacob Sosna
Department of Radiology, Hadassah Hebrew University Medical Center, POB 12000, Jerusalem, Israel
AJR Am J Roentgenol 190:374-85. 2008The purpose of our study was to perform a meta-analysis comparing the performance of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) with CT colonography (CTC) for the detection of colorectal polyps > or = 6 mm using endoscopy as the gold standard.
- Computed tomographic colonography versus barium enema for diagnosis of colorectal cancer or large polyps in symptomatic patients (SIGGAR): a multicentre randomised trialSteve Halligan
University College London, Centre for Medical Imaging, Podium Level 2, 235 Euston Road, London NW1 2BU, UK
Lancet 381:1185-93. 2013Barium enema (BE) is widely available for diagnosis of colorectal cancer despite concerns about its accuracy and acceptability. Computed tomographic colonography (CTC) might be a more sensitive and acceptable alternative...
- Perforations of the rectosigmoid colon induced by cleansing enema: CT findings in 14 patientsG Gayer
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Sheba Medical Center affiliated to the Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
Abdom Imaging 27:453-7. 2002We report the computed tomographic (CT) features of colorectal perforations caused by cleansing enema.
- Double-contrast barium enema: use in practice and implications for CT colonographyJoseph T Ferrucci
Department of Radiology, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton, Atrium 2, Boston, MA 02118, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 187:170-3. 2006..This study examines the use and yield of double-contrast barium enemas (DCBEs) for colorectal polyp detection in current clinical practice outside the research setting...
- Evaluation of colonic involvement in endometriosis: double-contrast barium enema vs. magnetic resonance imagingN Faccioli
Department of Radiology, G B Rossi Hospital, University of Verona, Piazzale Scuro 10, 37134 Verona, Italy
Abdom Imaging 35:414-21. 2010The purpose of the study was to compare the accuracy of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the diagnosis of intestinal endometriosis using the histological examination on resected specimen as ..
- Rectal perforations and fistulae secondary to a glycerin enema: closure by over-the-scope-clipHirohito Mori
Department of Gastroenterology and Neurology, Kagawa Medical University School of Medicine, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
World J Gastroenterol 18:3177-80. 2012..Our two cases are the first reports of the successful endoscopic closure of fistulae using double OTSCs after endoscopic lavage of the debris and an abscess of the rectum secondary to a GE...
- Crohn's disease: prevalence of intestinal and extraintestinal manifestations detected by computed tomography enterography with water enemaF Paparo
Department of Radiology, E O Ospedali Galliera, Genova, Italy
Abdom Imaging 37:326-37. 2012....
- Double-contrast barium enema examination techniqueS E Rubesin
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 215:642-50. 2000This review article presents the principles for performing a safe, comfortable, and accurate double-contrast barium enema examination...
- Routine use of gastrograffin enema prior to the reversal of a loop ileostomyG Khair
Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, Hull, UK
Dig Surg 24:338-41. 2007..The use of gastrograffin enema to confirm the anastomotic integrity prior to ileostomy closure is still controversial...
- Management of hypophosphatemia in nocturnal hemodialysis with phosphate-containing enema: a technical studyWinnie S Su
Division of Nephrology, McMaster University and St Joseph s Healthcare, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Hemodial Int 15:219-25. 2011..predictable final dialysate phosphate concentrations could be achieved by adding varying amounts of Fleet® enema. Second, we assessed the stability of calcium (Ca) and phosphate dialysate levels under simulated nocturnal ..
- Extensive calcifications induced by hyperphosphataemia caused by phosphate-based enema in a patient after kidney transplantationJens Eckstein
Division of Transplantation Immunology and Nephrology, Department of Anesthesia, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2013-6. 2006
- Detection of colorectal carcinoma on double contrast barium enema when double reporting is routinely performed: an audit of current practiceA Leslie
Department of Clinical Radiology, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, UK
Clin Radiol 57:184-7. 2002To determine the sensitivity of double contrast barium enema (DCBE) in the detection of colorectal carcinoma (CRC) when double reporting is routinely performed.
- Result of air enema reduction in 737 cases of intussusceptionAnchalee Kruatrachue
Department of Radiology, Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health, College of Medicine, Rangsit University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 94:S22-6. 2011To show the success of air enema reduction for intussusception at Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health, a tertiary center for children in Bangkok, Thailand.
- The value of sonography, CT and air enema for detection of complicated Meckel diverticulum in children with nonspecific clinical presentationA Daneman
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Hospital for Sick Children and the University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8 Canada
Pediatr Radiol 28:928-32. 1998..In this clinical setting, sonography (US), CT or even air enema may be the first modality chosen to evaluate these children rather than the radionuclide Meckel scan (RNMS).
- Acute colonic obstruction from Ladd bands: a unique complication from intestinal malrotationTal Raphaeli
Department of Surgery, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98115, USA
J Pediatr Surg 45:630-1. 2010..However, acute obstruction of the colon from Ladd bands has not been previously described. We report a case of complete obstruction of the hepatic flexure of the colon secondary to a Ladd band in a previously healthy teenage boy...
- Antioxidant effects after coffee enema or oral coffee consumption in healthy Thai male volunteersS Teekachunhatean
Department of Pharmacology, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Hum Exp Toxicol 31:643-51. 2012..two-phase crossover study to investigate the antioxidant effects after single and multiple doses of a coffee enema versus coffee consumed orally...
- Predictors of failed enema reduction in childhood intussusceptionFrankie B Fike
The Children s Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO 64108, USA
J Pediatr Surg 47:925-7. 2012Initial management of intussusception is enema reduction. Data are scarce on predicting which patients are unlikely to have a successful reduction. Therefore, we reviewed our experience to identify factors predictive of enema failure.
- The double contrast barium enema: a retrospective single centre audit of the detection of colorectal carcinomasDaniel J A Connolly
Department of Radiology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, UK
Clin Radiol 57:29-32. 2002To determine retrospectively the sensitivity and specificity of the double contrast barium enema (DCBE) as performed in one institution for the detection of colorectal carcinoma.
- Extreme hyperphosphatemia and hypocalcemic coma associated with phosphate enemaHeng Jung Hsu
Department of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Keelung, Taiwan
Intern Med 47:643-6. 2008Fleet enema (sodium phosphate, C.B. Fleet Co., Inc., Lynchburg, Virginia) is widely used for bowel preparation or constipation relief in the hospital and over the counter...
- Povidone-iodine vs sodium hypochlorite enema for mechanical preparation before elective open colonic or rectal resection with primary anastomosis: a multicenter randomized controlled trialAlain Valverde
Surgical Unit, Hôpital Louis Mourier Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Colombes, France
Arch Surg 141:1168-74; discussion 1175. 2006..The anti-infective actions of povidone-iodine (PVI) and sodium hypochlorite enemas are different...
- A phase II dose ranging, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of alicaforsen enema in subjects with acute exacerbation of mild to moderate left-sided ulcerative colitisS J H van Deventer
Academisch Medisch Centrum, Poli Inglammatoire Darmzietkten, Meibergdreef, Amsterdam Ziodoost, The Netherlands
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:1415-25. 2006Alicaforsen is an antisense oligonucleotide designed to inhibit expression of human intercellular adhesion molecule 1. Previous clinical studies have demonstrated activity of alicaforsen enema in ulcerative colitis and pouchitis.
- Mesalamine foam enema versus mesalamine liquid enema in active left-sided ulcerative colitisAntoine Cortot
Gastroenterologie, Hopital Claude Huriez, Lille, France
Am J Gastroenterol 103:3106-14. 2008To determine in a noninferiority study whether mesalamine foam is as effective as mesalamine liquid enema for inducing clinical remission in patients with active left-sided ulcerative colitis (UC).
- Comparative absorption of 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) after administration of a 5-ASA enema and salazosulfapyridine (SASP) after an SASP suppository in Japanese volunteersKenji Tokui
Department of Pharmacy, Nagoya Daini Red Cross Hospital, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 25:264-7. 2002..In the present study, we prepared suppositories containing 6.5 mmol of SASP and an enema containing 6.5 mmol of 5-ASA...
- Minimizing antipsychotic medication obviated the need for enema against severe constipation leading to paralytic ileus: a case reportT Suzuki
Department of Neuro Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Pharm Ther 32:525-7. 2007..To report the usefulness of antipsychotic dose-reduction for avoiding paralytic ileus in a patient with chronic schizophrenia and comorbid dementia...
- Intussusception in children: reduction with repeated, delayed air enemaA Gorenstein
Division of Pediatric Surgery, Edith Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Radiology 206:721-4. 1998..To evaluate the efficacy of pneumatic reduction of intussusception with an emphasis on repeated, delayed trials...
- Lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis in men who have sex with men is associated with anal enema use and high-risk behaviorHenry J C de Vries
STI Outpatient Clinic, Cluster Infectious Diseases, Public Health Service Amsterdam The Netherlands
Sex Transm Dis 35:203-8. 2008..In the industrialized world, lymphogranuloma venereum proctitis (LGVP) has been reported only in men who have sex with men. Factors responsible for the outbreak remain to be elucidated...
- Preoperative double-contrast barium enema in patients with suspected intestinal endometriosisStefano Landi
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ospedale Sacro Cuore, Negrar Verona Italy
J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc 11:223-8. 2004To assess the usefulness of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) in the diagnosis of endometriotic lesions of the bowel and to define its potential value in preoperative decision making for intestinal surgery.
- Diminishing role of contrast enema in simple meconium ileusDaniel R Copeland
Arkansas Children s Hospital, Little Rock, AR 72202 3591, USA
J Pediatr Surg 44:2130-2. 2009Contrast enema is the initial study of choice for simple meconium ileus to confirm diagnosis and to relieve obstruction...
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy plus air contrast barium enema versus colonoscopy for suspected lower gastrointestinal bleedingD K Rex
Department of Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis
Gastroenterology 98:855-61. 1990..greater than or equal to 40 yr were randomized to undergo initial flexible sigmoidoscopy plus air contrast barium enema or colonoscopy; 332 completed the initial studies...
- Symptom-based approach to colorectal cancer: survey of primary care physicians in ItalyF Panzuto
Department of Digestive and Liver Disease, II School of Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 35:869-75. 2003..It is likely that most patients with colorectal cancer refer, first of all, to their primary care physician at onset of symptoms...
- Screening for colorectal cancer in adults at average risk: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceMichael Pignone
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Department of Medicine and Cecil Sheps Center for Health Services Research, 5039 Old Clinic Building, CB 7110, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:132-41. 2002..To assess the effectiveness of different colorectal cancer screening tests for adults at average risk...
- Familial colonic varices--a cause of "polyposis" on barium enemaL Zaman
Department of Gastroenterology, Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road, Nottingham, NG7 1PB, UK
Br J Radiol 81:e17-9. 2008A 61-year-old woman with diarrhoea had multiple filling defects on a barium enema and was assumed to have multiple colonic polyps. However, colonoscopy showed colonic varices and relatively few true polyps...
- Correlation between radiographic transition zone and level of aganglionosis in Hirschsprung's disease: Implications for surgical approachM L Proctor
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pediatr Surg 38:775-8. 2003The anticipated level of aganglionosis can influence the surgical approach to Hirschsprung's disease. The aim of this study was to determine the accuracy of the contrast enema in predicting this level.
- Crohn's disease: a comparative prospective study of transabdominal ultrasonography, small intestine contrast ultrasonography, and small bowel enemaEmma Calabrese
Dipartimento di Scienze Cliniche, Universita La Sapienza, Roma, Italy
Inflamm Bowel Dis 11:139-45. 2005..bowel lesions in patients with proven Crohn's disease (CD) in comparison with transabdominal ultrasonography (TUS), and in relationship to the experience of the operator, using small bowel enema (SBE) as the "gold standard."
- Colorectal cancer screening with CT colonography, colonoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema examination: prospective assessment of patient perceptions and preferencesThomas M Gluecker
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, 200 First Street SW, MN 55905, USA
Radiology 227:378-84. 2003..prospectively assess and compare perceptions of and preferences for computed tomographic (CT) colonography, colonoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema examination (DCBE) by asymptomatic patients undergoing colorectal cancer screening.
- Analysis of air contrast barium enema, computed tomographic colonography, and colonoscopy: prospective comparisonD C Rockey
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Lancet 365:305-11. 2005The usefulness of currently available colon imaging tests, including air contrast barium enema (ACBE), computed tomographic colonography (CTC), and colonoscopy, to detect colon polyps and cancers is uncertain...
- Respiratory failure requiring extracorporeal membrane oxygenation after sodium phosphate enema intoxicationDavid B Everman
Greenwood Genetic Center, Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
Eur J Pediatr 162:517-9. 2003..We describe an unusual case of phosphate enema toxicity in a child that resulted in cardiopulmonary failure necessitating the use of extracorporeal membrane ..
- Air enema for diagnosis and reduction of intussusception: clinical experience and pressure correlatesW E Shiels
Department of Radiology, Children s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati
Radiology 181:169-72. 1991Air enema was used for exclusion, diagnosis, initial movement, and complete reduction of intussusception in 186 pediatric patients. Average pressure needed for initial movement of intussusception was 56...
- Acceptance by patients of multidetector CT colonography compared with barium enema examinations, flexible sigmoidoscopy, and colonoscopyStuart A Taylor
Department of Intestinal Imaging, Intestinal Imaging Centre, Level 4V, St Mark s Hospital, Watford Rd, Northwick Park, London HA1 3UJ, United Kingdom
AJR Am J Roentgenol 181:913-21. 2003..acceptance of multidetector CT colonography, total colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema to ascertain any overall preference. SUBJECTS AND METHODS...
- [Enema therapy for ulcerative colitis patients]Ryuichi Furuta
Department of Therapeutic Medicine, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 63:845-9. 2005..Larger, controlled studies will be necessary to establish the roles of enema therapy in patients with distal colitis.
- A novel approach to the laparoscopic antegrade continence enema procedure: intracorporeal and extracorporeal techniquesPasquale Casale
Division of Pediatric Urology, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, 98105, USA
J Urol 171:817-9. 2004The use of laparoscopic techniques in the construction of an antegrade continence enema (ACE) channel is evolving as a minimally invasive procedure that attempts to address issues of morbidity commonly associated with the technique as ..
- Safety and effectiveness of large-volume enema solutionsMarilee Schmelzer
The University of Texas at Arlington School of Nursing, 76019, USA
Appl Nurs Res 17:265-74. 2004The effectiveness and side effects of three types of enema solutions were compared in healthy subjects...
- Recurrent colocolic intussusception in a child with hereditary angioneurotic edema: reduction by air enemaHenry A Pritzker
Department of Radiology Children s Hospital at Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:1144-6. 2004..edema in a child presenting with recurrent episodes of colocolic intussusception, each successfully reduced by air enema. Although additional manifestations of vasogenic edema are potential risks of the procedure, these were not ..
- Multicentre randomized clinical trial of mechanical bowel preparation in elective colonic resectionB Jung
University of Umea, Department of Surgery, Visby Hospital, Visby, Sweden
Br J Surg 94:689-95. 2007..This randomized clinical trial assessed whether preoperative MBP is beneficial in elective colonic surgery...
- Patient preferences for colon cancer screening: the role of out-of-pocket costsMichael Pignone
Am J Manag Care 13:390-1. 2007
- Does the transition zone reliably delineate aganglionic bowel in Hirschsprung's disease?Douglas H Jamieson
Department of Radiology, BCCH, 4480 Oak Street, V6H 3V4, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 34:811-5. 2004..Knowledge of the extent of aganglionic bowel is important for preoperative planning of trans-anal surgery in patients with Hirschsprung's disease (HD)...
- Tap-water enema for children with myelomeningocele and neurogenic bowel dysfunctionSven Mattsson
Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Division of Paediatrics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University Hospital, Linkoping, Sweden
Acta Paediatr 95:369-74. 2006..To evaluate the outcome of transrectal irrigation (TRI) using clean tap water without salt in children with myelomeningocele and neurogenic bowel problems...
- Digital rectal examination compares favourably with conventional water-soluble contrast enema in the assessment of anastomotic healing after low rectal excision: a cohort studyChoong Leong Tang
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 168609, Singapore
Int J Colorectal Dis 20:262-6. 2005..low colorectal, colo-anal or ileo-pouch anal anastomosis is routinely performed with a water-soluble contrast enema (WSCE) prior to the reversal of the defunctioning stoma...
- Is mechanical bowel preparation mandatory for elective colon surgery? A prospective randomized studyEdward Ram
Division of General Surgery, Rabin Medical Center, Campus Golda, Petach Tikva Sackler Medical School, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Arch Surg 140:285-8. 2005..It was assumed that with the improvement in surgical technique together with the use of more effective prophylactic antibiotics, it was possible that MBP would no longer be necessary...
- Rebamipide enema therapy as a treatment for patients with active distal ulcerative colitisRyuichi Furuta
Department of Gastroenterology, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:261-7. 2007..The aim of the present study was to assess the clinical efficacy and safety of a novel Rebamipide enema therapy in UC patients.
- A randomised, controlled, double blind, escalating dose study of alicaforsen enema in active ulcerative colitisS J H van Deventer
Academisch Medisch Centrum, Room G2, 129, Poli Inglammatoire Darmzietkten, Meibergdreef 9, NL 1105 AZ, Amsterdam Ziodoost, The Netherlands
Gut 53:1646-51. 2004To evaluate the safety and efficacy of an enema formulation of alicaforsen, an antisense inhibitor of intercellular adhesion molecule, after 1, 3, and 6 months.
- Comparison of the relative sensitivity of CT colonography and double-contrast barium enema for screen detection of colorectal polypsC Daniel Johnson
Department of Radiology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:314-21. 2004..the relative sensitivity and specificity of computed tomography (CT) colonography with double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) for detection of colorectal polyps and to assess the added value of double reading at CT colonography, ..
- Cecal volvulus: a report of two cases occurring after the antegrade colonic enema procedureE R Kokoska
Section of Pediatric Surgery, J W Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Pediatr Surg 39:916-9; discussion 916-9. 2004Many children with chronic constipation and fecal incontinence have benefited from the antegrade colonic enema (ACE) procedure. Routine antegrade colonic lavage often allows such children to avoid daytime soiling...
- CT air-contrast enema as a preoperative examination for colorectal cancerKoichi Nagata
Digestive Disease Center, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Dig Surg 21:352-8. 2004We conducted a study on three-dimensional computed tomography (CT) images, in particular CT air-contrast enema (CT enema), using multidetector-row CT (MDCT), to see whether CT enema is useful as a preoperative examination for colorectal ..
- Value of virtual computed tomographic colonography for Crohn's colitis: comparison with endoscopy and barium enemaY Ota
Department of Gastroenterology, Fukuoka University Chikushi Hospital, Zokumyoin 377 1, Chikushino Shi, Fukuoka, 818 8502, Japan
Abdom Imaging 28:778-83. 2003..We evaluated the usefulness of virtual computed tomographic colonography (CTC) for the detection of colonic lesions due to Crohn's disease...
- The natural history of colorectal polyps and masses: rediscovered truths from the barium enema eraPerry J Pickhardt
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin Medical School, E3 311 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792 3252, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:619-21. 2007
- Severe hypothyroidism after contrast enema in premature infantsFanny Lombard
CHU de Montpellier, Service de Néonatologie Pédiatrie 2, Hopital A de Villeneuve, Montpellier, 34000, France
Eur J Pediatr 168:499-500. 2009..here a case of severe iatrogenic hypothyroidism with goiter and cholestasis, discovered six weeks after a contrast enema using sodium ioxitalamate, an iodinated contrast agent...
- Ileocecal valve: spectrum of normal findings at double-contrast barium enema examinationLisa C El-Amin
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 227:52-8. 2003To characterize the spectrum of normal findings of the ileocecal valve at double-contrast barium enema examination to allow differentiation between a normal valve and one infiltrated by tumor.
- Patient and occupational dosimetry in double contrast barium enema examinationsG J Kemerink
Department of Radiology, University Hospital Maastricht, P Debijelaan 25, 6229 HX Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Radiol 74:420-8. 2001..total dose-area product (DAP) over a number of projections that model exposure during double contrast barium enema (DCBE) examinations...
- Outcome of the antegrade colonic enema procedure in children with chronic constipationE R Kokoska
Department of Surgery, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center and Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, 1465 S. Grand Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63104, USA
Am J Surg 182:625-9. 2001..hospital, 11 children with chronic constipation or fecal incontinence or both underwent the antegrade colonic enema (ACE) procedure...
- Value of double-contrast barium enema performed immediately after incomplete colonoscopyA L Brown
Department of Radiology, McMaster University Medical Centre, 1200 Main St. W, Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z5, Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 176:943-5. 2001..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the ease, completeness, and clinical utility of double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) performed immediately after incomplete colonoscopy...
- Tap water irrigation and additives to optimize success with the Malone antegrade continence enema: the Indiana University algorithmAhmad H Bani-Hani
Division of Pediatric Urology, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
J Urol 180:1757-60; discussion 1760. 2008We report the long-term effectiveness of standard tap water for Malone antegrade continence enema irrigation as well as our algorithm for managing refractory constipation/fecal incontinence in a large single institution experience.
- Morbid hypocalcemia associated with phosphate enema in a six-week-old infantD M Walton
Department of Neonatology, Children s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Pediatrics 106:E37. 2000..During the first week of admission, the infant's mother reported that she had administered a full pediatric Fleets enema (CB Fleet Company Inc, Lynchburg, VA) to him. The infant was discharged after 12 days of hospitalization...
- Anatomic significance of a positive barium enema in deep infiltrating endometriosis of the large bowelVincent Anaf
Department of Gynecology, Academic Hospital Erasme, Free University of Brussels ULB, 808, Route de Lennik, 1070, Brussels, Belgium
World J Surg 33:822-7. 2009The anatomopathological significance of a positive double-contrast barium enema (DCBE) for suspicion of deep infiltrating endometriosis of the large bowel was studied. This is a retrospective study of a prospective database.
- Rectal administration of propylthiouracil in hyperthyroid patients: comparison of suspension enema and suppository formW Jongjaroenprasert
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Ramathidodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Thyroid 12:627-31. 2002..patients of both genders (ages 21 to 55 years) were randomly given the drug as follows: group 1 (n = 7), a single enema (400 mg of PTU in 90 mL of sterile water) and group 2 (n = 8), two suppositories of polyethylene glycol base (200 ..
- Robot-assisted Mitrofanoff and Malone antegrade continence enema reconstruction using divided appendixAtul A Thakre
Pediatric Urology, Sterling Hospital, Ahmendabad, India
J Endourol 22:2393-6; discussion 2396. 2008..the combination of wetting and severe constipation, a Mitrofanoff conduit and a channel for antegrade continence enema is constructed using the appendix by open surgery...
- Diagnostic yield of barium enema examination after incomplete colonoscopyAlice Chong
Department of Radiology, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, 3400 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Radiology 223:620-4. 2002To determine the diagnostic yield of barium enema examination for neoplastic lesions larger than 1 cm in diameter in the nonvisualized portion of the colon after incomplete colonoscopy.
- Sensitivity of double contrast barium enema and colonoscopy for the detection of colorectal neoplasmsG A Smith
University Department of Surgery, Western Infirmary, 44 Church Street, Glasgow G11 6NT Scotland, UK
Surg Endosc 15:649-52. 2001BACKGROUND: Double contrast barium enema (DCBE) is the examination carried out most frequently for investigation of patients with large bowel symptoms...
- A comparison of colonoscopy and double-contrast barium enema for surveillance after polypectomy. National Polyp Study Work GroupS J Winawer
Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
N Engl J Med 342:1766-72. 2000After patients have undergone colonoscopic polypectomy, it is uncertain whether colonoscopic examination or a barium enema is the better method of surveillance.
- [Traditional enema for newborns and infants in Bobo Dioulasso: health practice or socialisation]Pierre Huygens
Centre Muraz, BP 390, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Sante 12:357-62. 2002Kanki demonstrated a high prevalence and frequency of enema practised with newborns in the South-West of Burkina Faso...
- Robotic-assisted laparoscopic mitrofanoff appendicovesicostomy and antegrade continent enema colon tube creation in a pediatric spina bifida patientThomas S Lendvay
Division of Pediatric Urology, Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98105, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 18:310-2. 2008..In this paper, we report the techniques of creating both an appendicovesicostomy and an antegrade continent enema colon tube in a 9-year-old female with a neurogenic bladder and bowel secondary to myelomeningocele.
- Single blind, randomised trial of efficacy and acceptability of oral picolax versus self administered phosphate enema in bowel preparation for flexible sigmoidoscopy screeningW S Atkin
Imperial Cancer Research Fund Colorectal Cancer Unit, St Mark s Hospital, Northwick Park, Harrow HA1 3UJ
BMJ 320:1504-8; discussion 1509. 2000To compare the acceptability and efficacy of two methods of self administered bowel preparation for flexible sigmoidoscopy screening: a single phosphate enema and a single sachet of Picolax.
- Enema-induced severe hyperphosphatemia in childrenAriane Biebl
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital, Linz, Austria
Eur J Pediatr 168:111-2. 2009..The accepted opinion-that these enemas are not absorbed and therefore systemically inactive-is not true. Physicians should be aware of the potentially lethal complications of this treatment, which is part of everyday clinical practice...
- Racial and gender variation in use of diagnostic colonic procedures in the Michigan Medicare populationL F McMahon
Department of Internal Medicine, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109 0376, USA
Med Care 37:712-7. 1999..Understanding how the technology to diagnose colonic diseases is utilized in the population provides insight into both the access and processes of care...
- CT COLOGRAPHY--VALIDATION AND VIRTUAL PREPARATIONC Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2000..fashion to that of the current screening modalities--fecal occult blood testing, flexible sigmoidoscopy, barium enema, and colonoscopy...
- PEDIATRIC CONSTIPATION--BEHAVIOR MECHANISMS & TREATMENTDaniel Cox; Fiscal Year: 1993..Standard medical care, which involves enema, laxative, and dietary modifications, is typically protracted (e.g., 6 months) and marginally effective (e.g...
- Colorectoral cancer screening decisions in primary careJames Dolan; Fiscal Year: 2006..5 years, combined annual fecal occult blood tests and flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years, double contrast barium enema every 5 years, and colonoscopy every 10 years...
- MOUSE MODELS FOR HUMAN CANCERRaju Kucherlapati; Fiscal Year: 2007..This will be accomplished by introducing Adeno-cre by enema. Adeno-cre will also be used to generate sporadic mouse models for skin and lung cancer...
- Preclinical assay development of a novel Colon Cancer Marker (CCSA-4)JACK CLEMENS; Fiscal Year: 2007..detection of colon cancer, including fecal occult blood testing, flexible sigmoidoscopy, double contrast barium enema and colonoscopy...
- PROSPECTIVE COMPARISON OF COLONIC IMAGING TESTDon Rockey; Fiscal Year: 2001..The most common tests used to image the colon include air contrast barium enema and colonoscopy, each of which is associated with its own sets of benefits and limitations...
- Increasing Colon Cancer Screening in Primary CareRonald Myers; Fiscal Year: 2004..Alternative CRC screening regimens that are recommended include having a barium enema X-ray (BE) at five- year intervals or a colonoscopy (CX) every 10 years...
- Increasing CRC Screening in Health Plan MembersKaren Glanz; Fiscal Year: 2007..obtain screening by one of several modalities (FOBT, sigmoidoscopy,colonoscopy,or double contrast barium enema). However, CRC screening remains substantially underutilized in the U.S...
- Development of the Zebrafish Enteric Nervous SystemIain Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2007..precursor cell fate within the premigratory neural crest; 2) What gene is affected in the zebrafish ENS mutant, enema? We have identified several zebrafish mutants that have significant reductions in the number of enteric neurons...
- Development of the Zebrafish Enteric Nervous SystemIain Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2005..neural crest; 2) Which steps in enteric precursor development are affected by two mutations, lessen and enema? We have identified two zebrafish mutants that have significant reductions in the number of enteric neurons...
- Epidemiology of hepatocellular carcinomaCynthia Ko; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- A Primary-Care Based Colorectal Cancer Screening ProgramCynthia Ko; Fiscal Year: 2006..If successful, this program may be useful to other large primary care practices, and may also help to improve utilization of other types of cancer prevention services ..
- Colonoscopy quality and outcomes in clinical practiceCynthia W Ko; Fiscal Year: 2010..The various algorithms we develop will be tested in a second, validation subset of our database to find the algorithm with optimal performance characteristics. ..
- GERIATRIC CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTSTEVEN HALBERT; Fiscal Year: 2007..g., clinical trials, case control, cohort research, etc.), and the faculties' commitment to collaborative research. ..
- Gene Expression in Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2006..We present preliminary data on microarray and RT-PCRanalyses on 5 patients with BE that suggest an overactive Wnt pathway: we have also assembled the essential components of a successful study using microarrays. ..
- CORI: Consortium Expansion and Database EnhancementDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Clinical Outcomes Research: An Endoscopic Data BaseDavid Lieberman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Theme 4: Provide a resource to the scientific community. We have demonstrated successful collaboration with a wide range of clinical investigators to develop projects that are uniquely suited to a large community-based practice network. ..
- TRIP for postpartum depression (TRIPPD)Barbara Yawn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Equally importantly, it will provide information necessary to translate this evidence into 9eneral primary care practices. ..
- Tailored Navigation in CRC ScreeningRonald Myers; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, analyses will be performed to determine intervention cost-effectiveness related to CRC screening utilization. ..
- ANORECTAL MANIFESTATIONS OF FEMALE PELVIC FLOOR DISORDERAdil Bharucha; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Behavior in the VA PopulatioDeborah Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DETERMINING/UNDERSTANDING BARRIERS TO ADULT IMMUNIZATIONRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2001..This project will furnish relevant, up-to-date to enhance policy planning, practice management and medical education. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Epidemiology and Outcomes of Digestive and Liver Diseases: A Mentoring ProgramHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2007..pylori infection on BE tissue COX-2 expression. ..
- Obesity, H pylori and Risk of Barrett's EsophagusHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2009..Subsequently, in a case-control study, all newly diagnosed BE and randomly selected controls will be examined for the volume and activity of visceral obesity (CT scan and serum adipocytokines). ..
- Predictors of Cancer Screening in Diverse PracticesRichard Zimmerman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Without understanding the barriers to prevention from multiple vantage points, the rates of preventive services are unlikely to reach 2010 goals and needless cancer deaths will occur. ..
- Surveillance for Hepatocellular Carcinoma among HCV-infected VeteransHashem El Serag; Fiscal Year: 2007..Evaluating the extent and patterns of HCC surveillance is crucial in understanding diffusion (and obstacles) of this practice and in designing interventions to improve the implementation of HCC surveillance. ..