Genomes and Genes
Summary: The removal of fluids or discharges from the body, such as from a wound, sore, or cavity.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications457 found, 100 shown here
- Unilateral versus bilateral endoscopic metal stenting for malignant hilar biliary obstructionItaru Naitoh
Department of Gastroenterology and Metabolism, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Nagoya, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:552-7. 2009The extent of liver drainage for palliative treatment of malignant hilar biliary obstruction is controversial...
- Intra-abdominal pressure alterations after large pancreatic pseudocyst transcutaneous drainageTheodossis S Papavramidis
1st Propedeutic Department of Surgery, AHEPA University Hospital, Aristotle s University of Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece
BMC Gastroenterol 9:42. 2009..Aims of the present study were to evaluate the intra-abdominal pressure (IAP) induced by large pancreatic pseudocysts and to examine the effect of their transcutaneous drainage on IAP.
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided versus conventional transmural drainage for pancreatic pseudocysts: a prospective randomized trialD H Park
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Songpa Gu, 138 736, Seoul, South Korea
Endoscopy 41:842-8. 2009Although endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided transmural drainage (EUD) is preferred over conventional transmural drainage (CTD) of pancreatic pseudocysts by endoscopy in many centers, its superiority with respect to technical success and ..
- Seroma following breast cancer surgeryC J Pogson
Breast Unit, Mayday University Hospital, London Road, Croydon CR7 7YE, UK
Eur J Surg Oncol 29:711-7. 2003..Seroma is a common problem following breast cancer surgery causing patient discomfort and prolongation of hospital stay...
- The addition of manual lymph drainage to compression therapy for breast cancer related lymphedema: a randomized controlled trialMargaret L McNeely
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Cross Cancer Institute, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 86:95-106. 2004The purpose of this investigation was to compare the reduction in arm lymphedema volume achieved from manual lymph drainage massage (MLD) in combination with multi-layered compression bandaging (CB) to that achieved by CB alone.
- A step-up approach or open necrosectomy for necrotizing pancreatitisHjalmar C van Santvoort
University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 362:1491-502. 2010..Necrotizing pancreatitis with infected necrotic tissue is associated with a high rate of complications and death. Standard treatment is open necrosectomy. The outcome may be improved by a minimally invasive step-up approach...
- PleurX peritoneal catheter drainage system for vacuum-assisted drainage of treatment-resistant, recurrent malignant ascites: a NICE Medical Technology GuidanceJudith White
CEDAR, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Appl Health Econ Health Policy 10:299-308. 2012The PleurX peritoneal drainage catheter for drainage of malignant ascites in a community setting has been evaluated by the NICE Medical Technologies Evaluation Programme...
- Impaired humoral immunity and tolerance in K14-VEGFR-3-Ig mice that lack dermal lymphatic drainageSusan N Thomas
Institute of Bioengineering, School of Life Sciences, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne EPFL, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Immunol 189:2181-90. 2012..Ag, and immune cells from peripheral tissues to lymph nodes (LNs), yet the contribution of peripheral lymphatic drainage to adaptive immunity remains poorly understood...
- Bacterial meningitis caused by the use of ventricular or lumbar cerebrospinal fluid cathetersRogier P Schade
Department of Medical Microbiology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Neurosurg 102:229-34. 2005In the present study the authors compared the incidence and risk factors for external drainage-related bacterial meningitis (ED-BM) by using ventricular and lumbar catheters.
- Prenatal bladder drainage in the management of fetal lower urinary tract obstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysisT Justin Clark
Division of Reproductive and Child Health, Birmingham Women s Hospital, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Obstet Gynecol 102:367-82. 2003To estimate the effect of prenatal bladder drainage on perinatal survival in fetuses with lower urinary tract obstruction.
- Accuracy of external ventricular drainage catheter placementMohammad Ghazi Abdoh
Department of Neurosurgery, University Paris East, Medical School, Assitance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Henri Mondor Hospital, Creteil, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154:153-9. 2012External ventricular drainage (EVD) is a freehand neurosurgical procedure performed routinely using the anatomical landmarks.
- Effect of pyloric drainage procedures on gastric passage and bile reflux after esophagectomy with gastric conduit reconstructionDaniel Palmes
Department of General Surgery, Munster University Hospital, Waldeyerstr 1, 48149, Munster, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 392:135-41. 2007Controversy still exists about the need for pyloric drainage procedures (pyloroplasty or pyloromyotomy) after esophagectomy with esophagogastrostomy and vagotomy...
- Transenteric drainage of pancreatic-fluid collections with fully covered self-expanding metallic stents (with video)Jayant P Talreja
Digestive Health Center of Excellence, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908 0708, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:1199-203. 2008b>Drainage of pancreatic-fluid collections (PFCs) by using fully covered self-expanding metallic stents (CSEMSs) offers the option of providing a larger-diameter access fistula for drainage when compared with plastic stents.
- Marked reduction of cerebral vasospasm with lumbar drainage of cerebrospinal fluid after subarachnoid hemorrhagePaul Klimo
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132 2303, USA
J Neurosurg 100:215-24. 2004..The authors hypothesize that lumbar cisternal drainage can remove blood from the basal subarachnoid spaces more effectively than an external ventricular drain (EVD)...
- Effect of treatment with low-intensity and extremely low-frequency electrostatic fields (Deep Oscillation) on breast tissue and pain in patients with secondary breast lymphoedemaSilke Jahr
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Charité Universitetsmedizin Berlin, Germany
J Rehabil Med 40:645-50. 2008..lymphoedema of the breast following surgical treatment and to assess the therapeutic benefit of treatment with low-intensity and extremely low-frequency electrostatic fields (Deep Oscillation), supplementing manual lymphatic drainage.
- Laparoscopic drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts: a methodological approachNuman Hamza
The Manchester Hepato Pancreato Biliary Centre, North Manchester General Hospital, Delaunays Road, Crumpsall, Manchester M8 5RB, UK
J Gastrointest Surg 14:148-55. 2010This paper describes our tailored and methodological approach to laparoscopic drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts (PPs) based on an anatomical classification.
- Parapneumonic pleural effusion and empyemaCoenraad F N Koegelenberg
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Stellenbosch and Tygerberg Academic Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
Respiration 75:241-50. 2008..20, glucose <3.4 mmol/l (60 mg/dl) or positive microbial stain and/or culture. Drainage is most frequently achieved with tube thoracostomy...
- Combined duodenal stent placement and endoscopic ultrasonography-guided biliary drainage for malignant duodenal obstruction with biliary strictureMasaya Iwamuro
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Okayama, Japan
Dig Endosc 22:236-40. 2010..technique for combined endoscopic duodenal stent placement and endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)-guided biliary drainage. Between May 2007 and September 2009, this combined technique was performed on seven patients with distal biliary ..
- Frequency of complications during EUS-guided drainage of pancreatic fluid collections in 148 consecutive patientsShyam Varadarajulu
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1504-8. 2011The aim of the present study was to evaluate the frequency of complications during endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided drainage of pancreatic fluid collections (PFC), identify contributing factors, and report on management outcomes.
- Fine needle aspiration using forward-viewing endoscopic ultrasonographyM Kida
Department of Gastroenterology, Kitasato University East Hospital, 2 1 1 Asamizodai, Sagamihara, Kanagawa, Japan
Endoscopy 43:796-801. 2011..We had the opportunity to use this forward-viewing echo endoscope and to study its clinical usefulness, mainly for diagnostic EUS-FNA...
- Clinical evaluation of a novel lumen-apposing metal stent for endosonography-guided pancreatic pseudocyst and gallbladder drainage (with videos)Takao Itoi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tokyo Medical University, Tokyo, Japan
Gastrointest Endosc 75:870-6. 2012Tubular plastic and metal stents have inherent shortcomings when used for transenteric drainage of fluid collections.
- NOTES(®) stapled cystgastrostomy: a novel approach for surgical management of pancreatic pseudocystsRatnakishore Pallapothu
Department of Surgery and Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Springfield, MA 01199, USA
Surg Endosc 25:883-9. 2011Traditional approach for surgical management of mature pancreatic pseudocysts is by internal surgical drainage. Endoscopic drainage procedures have also been described...
- Percutaneous hepatic abscess drainage: do multiple abscesses or multiloculated abscesses preclude drainage or affect outcome?Chang Hsien Liu
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 20:1059-65. 2009To compare the effectiveness of percutaneous abscess drainage in patients with pyogenic liver abscesses of the following types: single, single multiloculated, multiple, and multiple multiloculated.
- Preoperative biliary drainage in patients with obstructive jaundice: history and current statusN A van der Gaag
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center at the University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Gastrointest Surg 13:814-20. 2009Preoperative biliary drainage (PBD) has been introduced to improve outcome after surgery in patients suffering from obstructive jaundice due to a potentially resectable proximal or distal bile duct/pancreatic head lesion...
- EUS-guided hepaticogastrostomy with a fully covered metal stent as the biliary diversion technique for an occluded biliary metal stent after a failed ERCP (with videos)Do Hyun Park
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, South Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 71:413-9. 2010Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) may be the last resort for an occluded biliary metal stent when the ERCP was unsuccessful.
- Endoscopic-ultrasound-guided endoscopic transmural drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts and abscessesCesar Vivian Lopes
Endoscopy Unit, Paoli Calmettes Institute, 232 Boulevard St Marguerite, 13273 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:524-9. 2007..Minimally invasive approaches have been encouraged. The aim of this study was to evaluate the results of the endoscopic-ultrasound-guided (EUS) endoscopic transmural drainage of these pancreatic collections.
- Randomized clinical trial investigating the use of drains and fibrin sealant following surgery for breast cancerP K Jain
Department of Surgery, Scarborough General Hospital, Woodland Drive, Scarborough YO12 6QL, UK
Br J Surg 91:54-60. 2004Despite limited evidence, closed suction drainage is often used to reduce the risk of seroma formation after breast cancer surgery...
- A prospective comparison of clamping the drain or post-operative salvage of blood in reducing blood loss after total knee arthroplastyN Tsumara
Hyogo Rehabilitation Center, 1070 Akebono cho Nishi ku, Kobe 651 2181, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:49-53. 2006..Drain clamping with intra-articular injection of saline with adrenaline is more effective than post-operative autologous blood transfusion in reducing blood loss during total knee arthroplasty...
- A randomized controlled crossover study of manual lymphatic drainage therapy in women with breast cancer-related lymphoedemaA F Williams
Marie Curie Centre, Fairmile, Frogston Road West, Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 11:254-61. 2002This paper describes a randomized controlled crossover study examining the effects of manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) in 31 women with breast cancer-related lymphoedema...
- Use of fibrin sealant to reduce bloody drainage and hemoglobin loss after total knee arthroplasty: a brief note on a randomized prospective trialG J Wang
University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville 22908, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 83:1503-5. 2001..A phase-III trial that included fifty-three patients undergoing unilateral primary total knee arthroplasty with cement was conducted to investigate the hemostatic efficacy of fibrin sealant...
- Endosonography-guided biliary drainage in cases with difficult transpapillary endoscopic biliary drainageJun Horaguchi
Department of Gastroenterology, Sendai City Medical Center, Miyagino ku, Sendai, Japan
Dig Endosc 21:239-44. 2009Recently, reports on a new endoscopic biliary drainage technique utilizing endosonographic guidance (endosonography-guided biliary drainage [ESBD]) have been increasing...
- External drainage of pancreatic duct with a stent to reduce leakage rate of pancreaticojejunostomy after pancreaticoduodenectomy: a prospective randomized trialRonnie T P Poon
Department of Surgery, Queen Mary Hospital, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Ann Surg 246:425-33; discussion 433-5. 2007Pancreatic fistula is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality after pancreaticoduodenectomy. External drainage of pancreatic duct with a stent has been shown to reduce pancreatic fistula rate of pancreaticojejunostomy in a few ..
- Transgastric endoscopic ultrasonography-guided biliary drainage: results of a pilot studyE Bories
Endoscopic Unit, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseille, France
Endoscopy 39:287-91. 2007..We present our first results with an alternative technique: endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)-guided transgastric biliary drainage.
- Preoperative biliary drainage for cancer of the head of the pancreasNiels A van der Gaag
Department of Surgery, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 362:129-37. 2010The benefits of preoperative biliary drainage, which was introduced to improve the postoperative outcome in patients with obstructive jaundice caused by a tumor of the pancreatic head, are unclear.
- Selective MRCP and CT-targeted drainage of malignant hilar biliary obstruction with self-expanding metallic stentsMartin L Freeman
Division of Gastroenterology, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55415, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:41-9. 2003..of malignant hilar biliary obstruction is controversial with respect to optimal types of stents and extent of drainage. This study evaluated outcomes of selective MRCP and CT-targeted drainage with self-expanding metallic stents.
- Y-shaped endoscopic bilateral metal stent placement for malignant hilar biliary obstruction: prospective long-term studyJae Chul Hwang
Department of Gastroenterology, Ajou University School of Medicine, San 5, Woncheon dong, Yongtong Gu, Suwon, Republic of Korea
Scand J Gastroenterol 46:326-32. 2011Although still controversial, bilateral stenting may be the best option for palliative drainage of malignant hilar biliary obstruction...
- Endoscopic bilateral metal stent placement for advanced hilar cholangiocarcinoma: a pilot study of a newly designed Y stentJung Hyun Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University College of Medicine, Seo Gu, Busan, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 66:364-9. 2007....
- Chronic subdural haematoma: surgical treatment and outcome in 1000 casesMiguel Gelabert-Gonzalez
Neurosurgical Service, Department of Surgery, Clinic Hospital of Santiago, University of Santiago de Compostela, La Choupana, 15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107:223-9. 2005..of 1000 patients harbouring 1097 chronic subdural haematoma treated with burr-hole craniotomy with closed-system drainage was carried out. The series included 628 males and 372 females, age range 12-100 years, mean age 72.7+/-11...
- EUS-guided biliary drainage: a case seriesI Tarantino
Department of Gastroenterology, ISMETT UPMC, Palermo, Italy
Endoscopy 40:336-9. 2008
- An appraisal of surgical and percutaneous drainage for pyogenic liver abscesses larger than 5 cmYu Meng Tan
From the Department of Surgery, Singapore General Hospital Department of Surgical Oncology, National Cancer Center, Singapore
Ann Surg 241:485-90. 2005To determine whether first-line treatment with percutaneous or surgical drainage of liver abscesses larger than 5 cm results in better clinical outcome.
- Pre-operative biliary drainage for obstructive jaundiceYuan Fang
Department of Neurosurgery, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 9:CD005444. 2012..There is considerable controversy as to whether temporary relief of biliary obstruction prior to major definitive surgery (pre-operative biliary drainage) is of any benefit to the patient.
- Treatment options for hepatic cystic echinococcosisRaymond A Smego
Department of Medicine, The University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND, USA
Int J Infect Dis 9:69-76. 2005..granulosis has made it possible to undertake ultrasound- or computed tomography-guided transhepatic percutaneous drainage (termed puncture, aspiration, injection, and re-aspiration (PAIR)) of hydatid cysts...
- Do drainage liquid characteristics serve as predictors for seroma formation after incisional hernia repair?C D Klink
Department of Surgery, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Hernia 14:175-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to determine the characteristics of drainage liquid as a potential predictor for the development of seroma after incisional hernia mesh repair...
- Manual lymphatic drainage therapy in patients with breast cancer related lymphoedemaMarta López Martín
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario de la Princesa, Diego de León 36, 28046 Madrid, Spain
BMC Cancer 11:94. 2011..The aim of this study is to analyze the effectiveness of Manual Lymphatic Drainage in the treatment of postmastectomy lymphoedema in order to reduce the volume of lymphoedema and evaluate the ..
- Long-term results of single-session percutaneous drainage and ethanol sclerotherapy in simple renal cystsDevrim Akinci
Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Shhiye, Ankara TR 06100, Turkey
Eur J Radiol 54:298-302. 2005..To demonstrate the efficacy and long-term results of the single-session ethanol sclerotherapy in simple renal cysts...
- External ventricular and lumbar drainage-associated meningoventriculitis: prospective analysis of time-dependent infection rates and risk factor analysisS Scheithauer
Department of Infection Control and Infectious Diseases, University Hospital, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany
Infection 38:205-9. 2010Data on time-dependency of external ventricular drainage (EVD)- and lumbar drainage (LD)-associated meningoventriculitis (MV) are scarce and discussions on the subject are controversial; no data exist for infection rates (IR) relative to ..
- Subglottic secretion drainage for preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia: an updated meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsFei Wang
Department of Anesthesiology, Changhai Hospital, Second Military Medical University, Shanghai, China
J Trauma Acute Care Surg 72:1276-85. 2012Subglottic secretion drainage (SSD) has been shown to be associated with a lower incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP) in a previous meta-analysis...
- Use of a transanal drainage tube for prevention of anastomotic leakage and bleeding after anterior resection for rectal cancerWen Tao Zhao
Department of Colorectal Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Guangzhou University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
World J Surg 37:227-32. 2013The aim of the present study was to investigate the usefulness of the transanal drainage tube for prevention of anastomotic leakage and bleeding after anterior resection for rectal cancer.
- Randomized multicenter trial of sentinel node biopsy versus standard axillary treatment in operable breast cancer: the ALMANAC TrialRobert E Mansel
Department of Surgery, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:599-609. 2006....
- A comparative study of the patients with bilateral or unilateral chronic subdural hematoma: precipitating factors and postoperative outcomesTai Hsin Tsai
Department of Neurosurgery, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Trauma 68:571-5. 2010..The purpose of this study was to compare the clinical presentations, precipitating factors, computed tomography (CT) scan findings, postoperative complications, and outcomes between patients with bilateral and unilateral CSDH...
- The expression levels of plasma membrane transporters in the cholestatic liver of patients undergoing biliary drainage and their association with the impairment of biliary secretory functionJ Shoda
Department of Gastroenterology, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Am J Gastroenterol 96:3368-78. 2001OBJECTIVES: Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) has been believed to reduce hyperbilirubinemia in patients with obstructive cholestasis and to lessen liver injury through bile acid retention...
- Newly designed large cell Niti-S stent for malignant hilar biliary obstruction: a pilot studyHirofumi Kogure
Department of Gastroenterology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, 113 8655, Japan
Surg Endosc 25:463-7. 2011Whether uni- or bilateral drainage should be performed for malignant hilar biliary obstruction remains a matter of debate. Moreover, endoscopic placement of bilateral metallic stents has been considered difficult and complicated...
- Laparotomy versus peritoneal drainage for necrotizing enterocolitis or isolated intestinal perforation in extremely low birth weight infants: outcomes through 18 months adjusted ageMartin L Blakely
University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Pediatrics 117:e680-7. 2006....
- Percutaneous placement of biliary metallic stents in patients with malignant hilar obstruction: unilobar versus bilobar drainageMehmet Inal
Department of Radiology, Cukurova University Faculty of Medicine, 01330 Balcali, Adana, Turkey
J Vasc Interv Radiol 14:1409-16. 2003..To evaluate the necessity of draining more than one hepatic duct in malignant hilar obstructions...
- Standardized pelvic drainage of anastomotic leaks following anterior resection without diversional stomasJunjie Peng
Department of Colorectal Surgery, Cancer Hospital of Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Am J Surg 199:753-8. 2010..Anastomotic leakage is a serious complication in rectal cancer surgery. More than one third of rectal cancer patients with low anterior resection (LAR) will receive defunctional stomas during primary operation...
- Bilateral biliary drainage for malignant hilar obstruction using the 'stent-in-stent' method with a Y-stent: efficacy and complicationsDong Uk Kim
Departments of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan, South Korea
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 25:99-106. 2013..The usefulness of bilateral stent placement for malignant hilar obstruction is still under debate. Nevertheless, many endoscopists advocate the placement of an endoscopic bilateral metal stent using various new devices and techniques...
- Early versus late drain removal after standard pancreatic resections: results of a prospective randomized trialClaudio Bassi
Department of Surgery, G B Rossi Hospital, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Ann Surg 252:207-14. 2010..The role of surgically placed intra-abdominal drainages after pancreatic resections has not been clearly established. In particular, their effect on morbidity rates and the optimal timing for their removal remains controversial...
- EUS-guided biliary drainage with placement of a new partially covered biliary stent for palliation of malignant biliary obstruction: a case seriesC Fabbri
Unit of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, AUSL Bologna Bellaria Maggiore Hospital, Largo Nigrisoli 2, Bologna, Italy
Endoscopy 43:438-41. 2011Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided biliary drainage (EUS-BD) has been developed as an alternative drainage technique in patients with obstructive jaundice where endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) has failed...
- Prevention of biliary complication in radiofrequency ablation for hepatocellular carcinoma-Cooling effect by endoscopic nasobiliary drainage tubeTsuneyoshi Ogawa
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8558, Japan
Eur J Radiol 73:385-90. 2010..Therefore, it may require interventional drainage for decompression during the follow-up period...
- Comparison of pancreas-transplanted type 1 diabetic patients with portal-venous versus systemic-venous graft drainage: impact on glucose regulatory hormones and the growth hormone/insulin-like growth factor-I axisJan Frystyk
Medical Research Laboratories, Aarhus University Hospital, Nørrebrogade 44, Aarhus C, Denmark
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:1758-66. 2008Pancreas grafts can be drained through the iliac vein (systemic drainage) or the portal vein.
- Occurrence and role of algae and fungi in acid mine drainage environment with special reference to metals and sulfate immobilizationBidus Kanti Das
Department of Mining Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, Kharagpur 721302, India
Water Res 43:883-94. 2009Passive remediation of Acid Mine Drainage (AMD) is a popular technology under development in current research...
- EUS-guided pancreatic pseudocyst drainage: simultaneous placement of stents and nasocystic catheter using double-guidewire techniqueTakao Itoi
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tokyo Medical University, Japan
Dig Endosc 21:S53-6. 2009Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)-guided pancreatic pseudocyst drainage has become the standard and safety procedure in many centers for nonsurgical treatment...
- EUS-guided transduodenal biliary drainage in unresectable pancreatic cancer with obstructive jaundiceTiing Leong Ang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Changi General Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
JOP 8:438-43. 2007Endoscopic transpapillary biliary drainage is the procedure of choice for biliary decompression in patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided transduodenal placement of a fully covered metal stent for palliative biliary drainage in patients with malignant biliary obstructionAli A Siddiqui
Department of Internal Medicine, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4500 S Lancaster Road 111B1, Dallas, TX 75216, USA
Surg Endosc 25:549-55. 2011Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided biliary drainage (EUSBD) has been described as a viable alternative to percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography (PTC) in patients in whom ERCP has been unsuccessful...
- Temporary cystogastrostomy with self-expanding metallic stents for pancreatic necrosisS Belle
Department of Medicine II, Medical Faculty Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Endoscopy 42:493-5. 2010Conventional endoscopic drainage of symptomatic pancreatic pseudocysts has its limitations when the content of the collection is nonfluid...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided bilioduodenal anastomosis: a new technique for biliary drainageM Giovannini
Endoscopy Unit, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseilles, France
Endoscopy 33:898-900. 2001..We present a new technique of biliary drainage using endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) and EUS-guided puncture of the common bile duct (CBD)...
- Graded dilation technique for EUS-guided drainage of peripancreatic fluid collections: an assessment of outcomes and complications and technical proficiency (with video)Shyam Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:656-66. 2008Although the utility and safety of EUS and EUS-guided FNA is well known, there is a need for more data on outcomes and complications of EUS-guided drainage procedures.
- EUS-guided drainage is more successful in pancreatic pseudocysts compared with abscessesRiadh Sadik
Institute of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
World J Gastroenterol 17:499-505. 2011To compare the results for endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided drainage of clear fluid pancreatic pseudocysts with the results for abscess drainage.
- Assessment of lymphatic contractile function after manual lymphatic drainage using near-infrared fluorescence imagingI Chih Tan
Center for Molecular Imaging, The Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 92:756-764.e1. 2011To investigate the feasibility of assessing the efficacy of manual lymphatic drainage (MLD), a method for lymphedema (LE) management, by using near-infrared (NIR) fluorescence imaging.
- Crisscross-configured dual stent placement for trisectoral drainage in patients with advanced biliary hilar malignanciesJae Ik Bae
Department of Radiology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Republic of Korea
J Vasc Interv Radiol 19:1614-9. 2008..To evaluate technical success and clinical efficacy of crisscross-configured dual biliary stent implantation in patients with a biliary hilar tumor extending beyond the segmental ducts...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided biliodigestive drainage is a good alternative in patients with unresectable cancerM A Ramírez-Luna
Endoscopy Department, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Medicas y Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico City, Mexico
Endoscopy 43:826-30. 2011A total of 11 prospective cases of endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided cholangio-drainage (EUCD) in patients with end-stage biliopancreatic cancer and biliary tract obstruction are reported...
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided choledochoduodenostomy for palliative biliary drainage in cases with inoperable pancreas head carcinomaKeiji Hanada
Center for Gastroendoscopy, Onomichi General Hospital, Japan
Dig Endosc 21:S75-8. 2009Endoscopic transpapillary biliary drainage (EBD) or stenting is the gold standard treatment for inoperable malignant biliary obstruction...
- EUS-guided biliary drainage with transluminal stenting after failed ERCP: predictors of adverse events and long-term resultsDo Hyun Park
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 74:1276-84. 2011EUS-guided biliary drainage (EUS-BD) has been proposed as an effective alternative for percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) after failed ERCP...
- Number of burr holes as independent predictor of postoperative recurrence in chronic subdural haematomaP Taussky
Department of Neurosurgery, Kantonsspital Aarau, Aarau, Switzerland
Br J Neurosurg 22:279-82. 2008..All patients underwent irrigation and placement of closed-system drainage. Out of the 97 haematoma, 63 (65%) haematomas were treated with two burr holes, whereas 34 (35%) were treated ..
- HHV-8/KSHV-negative and CD20-positive primary effusion lymphoma successfully treated by pleural drainage followed by chemotherapy containing rituximabYasushi Terasaki
Division of Internal Medicine, Toyama City Hospital, Toyama
Intern Med 47:2175-8. 2008..After pleural drainage, malignant cells disappeared spontaneously in a small amount of the remaining pleural effusion without ..
- Role of controlled lumbar CSF drainage for ICP control in aneurysmal SAHAli Murad
Department of Neurosurgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, 11234 Anderson Street, Rm 2562 B, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Acta Neurochir Suppl 110:183-7. 2011a prospective study of lumbar CSF drainage in the setting of raised intra-cranial pressure refractory to medical management and ventriculostomy placement is presented...
- Evaluation of the clinical effectiveness of physiotherapeutic management of lymphoedema in palliative care patientsKatri Elina Clemens
Department of Science and Research, Centre for Palliative Medicine, University of Bonn, Bonn, Germany
Jpn J Clin Oncol 40:1068-72. 2010Lymphoedema is a common sequela of cancer or its treatment that affects lymph node drainage. The physiotherapist, as member of the multiprofessional team in palliative care, is one of the keys to successful rehabilitation and management ..
- Relationship between drainage catheter location and postoperative recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma after burr-hole irrigation and closed-system drainageH Nakaguchi
Department of Neurosurgery, Tokyo Kosei Nenkin Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Neurosurg 93:791-5. 2000This study was conducted to determine the best position for the subdural drainage catheter to achieve a low recurrence rate after burr-hole irrigation and closed-system drainage of chronic subdural hematoma (CSDH).
- Chronic subdural hematomas treated by burr hole trepanation and a subperiostal drainage systemDaniel Zumofen
Department of Neurosurgery, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland
Neurosurgery 64:1116-21; discussion 1121-2. 2009Most symptomatic chronic subdural hematomas are treated by subdural drainage. However, a subperiostal (i.e., extracranial) passive closed-drainage system in combination with double burr hole trepanation is used at our institution...
- Long-term follow-up of percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) in patients with benign bilioenterostomy strictureA Weber
Department of Internal Medicine II, Technical University of Munich, Germany
Endoscopy 41:323-8. 2009..Hence, percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) has become the treatment of choice for the management of these patients...
- Treatment of biliary obstruction in selected patients by endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)-guided transluminal biliary drainageU Will
Department of Internal Medicine III, Municipal Hospital, Gera, Germany
Endoscopy 39:292-5. 2007..reconstruction), the alternative treatment is considered to be percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography and drainage (PTCD)...
- Prosthesis for open pleurostomy (POP): management for chronic empyemasLuiz Tarcísio Brito Filomeno
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Medicina, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo SP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 64:203-8. 2009..Herein, we report our 13-year experience with this device in the management of different kinds of pleural empyema...
- Choroidal drainage in the management of acute angle closure after topiramate toxicityRajul Parikh
L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
J Glaucoma 16:691-3. 2007To report the role of choroidal drainage in patient with acute bilateral angle closure secondary to cilio-choroidal effusion with Topiramate.
- Initial experience with the prototype forward-viewing echoendoscope for therapeutic interventions other than pancreatic pseudocyst drainage (with videos)Jessica M Trevino
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 69:361-5. 2009..In an effort to overcome this limitation, a prototype forward-viewing echoendoscope was developed and successfully tested for performing transgastric drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts.
- Prospective randomized trial comparing EUS and EGD for transmural drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts (with videos)Shyam Varadarajulu
Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:1102-11. 2008Although prior studies evaluated the role of EUS and EGD for drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts, there are no randomized trials that compared the technical outcomes between both modalities.
- Peroral endoscopic drainage/debridement of walled-off pancreatic necrosisGeorgios I Papachristou
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Ann Surg 245:943-51. 2007Experience with minimal access, transoral/transmural endoscopic drainage/debridement of walled-off pancreatic necrosis (WOPN) after necrotizing pancreatitis is limited. We sought to determine outcome using this technique.
- EUS-guided biliary drainage with one-step placement of a fully covered metal stent for malignant biliary obstruction: a prospective feasibility studyDo Hyun Park
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Asan Medical Center, Seoul 138 736, South Korea
Am J Gastroenterol 104:2168-74. 2009Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)-guided biliary drainage (EUSBD) with plastic stents has been introduced as an alternative to percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) in cases of biliary obstruction when endoscopic retrograde ..
- Endoscopic ultrasound guided biliary drainage in patients with unapproachable ampullae due to malignant duodenal obstructionPaul J Belletrutti
Gastroenterology and Nutrition Service, Department of Medicine, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 1275 York Avenue, P O Box 273, New York, NY 10065, USA
J Gastrointest Cancer 42:137-42. 2011..cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is not possible due to duodenal obstruction, endoscopic ultrasound-guided biliary drainage (EUS-BD) has emerged as an alternate mode of biliary decompression...
- Percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage catheter tract recurrence in cholangiocarcinomaY Takahashi
Division of Surgical Oncology, Department of Surgery, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
Br J Surg 97:1860-6. 2010The aim of the study was to clarify the incidence, risk factors and treatment of percutaneous transhepatic biliary drainage (PTBD) catheter tract recurrence in patients with resected cholangiocarcinoma.
- Long-term outcomes of endoscopic vs surgical drainage of the pancreatic duct in patients with chronic pancreatitisDjuna L Cahen
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Gastroenterology 141:1690-5. 2011A randomized trial that compared endoscopic and surgical drainage of the pancreatic duct in patients with advanced chronic pancreatitis reported a significant benefit of surgery after a 2-year follow-up period...
- EUS-guided biliary drainage with a fully covered metal stent as a novel route for natural orifice transluminal endoscopic biliary interventions: a pilot study (with videos)Junbum Eum
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Ulsan College of Medicine, Ulsan University Hospital, Ulsan, Korea
Gastrointest Endosc 72:1279-84. 2010EUS-guided biliary drainage (EUS-BD) with the use of a fully covered metal stent can result in a large-diameter fistula between the bile duct and the duodenum or stomach...
- Pre-hospital and in-hospital thoracostomy: indications and complicationsChristopher J Aylwin
Trauma Service, Department of Surgery, Royal London Hospital, London, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 90:54-7. 2008Pleural drainage with chest tube insertion for thoracic trauma is a common and often life-saving technique. Although considered a simple procedure, complication rates have been reported to be 2-25%...
- Pleural decompression and drainage during trauma reception and resuscitationM Fitzgerald
Emergency and Trauma Centre, The Alfred Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
Injury 39:9-20. 2008This review examines pleural decompression and drainage during initial hospital adult trauma reception and resuscitation, when it is indicated for haemodynamically unstable patients with signs of pneumothorax or haemothorax...
- Transgastric pancreatography and EUS-guided drainage of the pancreatic ductUwe Will
Department of Internal Medicine III, Municipal Hospital, Strasse des Friedens, 122, D 07548, Gera, Germany
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surg 14:377-82. 2007Endoscopic transpapillary drainage of the retained pancreatic duct in symptomatic patients with chronic pancreatitis is considered an established treatment option...
- Pneumothorax following thoracentesis: a systematic review and meta-analysisCraig E Gordon
Renal Section, Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Intern Med 170:332-9. 2010..We aimed to determine the mean pneumothorax rate following thoracentesis and to identify risk factors for pneumothorax through a systematic review and meta-analysis...
- Pelvic drainage and other risk factors for leakage after elective anterior resection in rectal cancer patients: a prospective study of 978 patientsChien Yuh Yeh
Department of Surgery, Colorectal Section of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, at Linko, Taiwan
Ann Surg 241:9-13. 2005The objective of this study was to investigate prophylactic pelvic drainage and other factors that might be associated with anastomotic leakage after elective anterior resection of primary rectal cancer.
- An artificial vascular graft is a useful interpositional material for drainage of the right anterior section in living donor liver transplantationNam Joon Yi
Department of Surgery, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Liver Transpl 13:1159-67. 2007..An expanded polytetrafluoroethylene (ePTFE) graft may be used for anterior section drainage. Between February and November 2005, 26 recipients underwent RL liver transplantation draining MHV branches with ..
- Prevention of external ventricular drain--related ventriculitisA M Korinek
Neuroanaesthesia Unit, Department of Anaesthesiology, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, University of Paris VI, Paris, France
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:39-45; discussion 45-6. 2005....
- Treatment of breast-cancer-related lymphedema with or without manual lymphatic drainage--a randomized studyL Andersen
Department of Oncology, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Acta Oncol 39:399-405. 2000A prospective randomized study was carried out to investigate whether the addition of manual lymphatic drainage (MLD) to the standard therapy could improve treatment outcome in women with lymphedema of the ipsilateral arm after breast ..
- Tranexamic acid decreases external blood loss but not hidden blood loss in total knee replacementL Good
Department of Orthopaedics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Linkoping, Sweden
Br J Anaesth 90:596-9. 2003..Tranexamic acid decreases the external blood loss. Some blood loss may be concealed, and the overall effect of tranexamic acid on the haemoglobin (Hb) balance is not known...
- Is percutaneous drainage the new gold standard in the management of emphysematous pyelonephritis? Evidence from a systematic reviewBhaskar K Somani
University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
J Urol 179:1844-9. 2008..We review the current management strategies including the role of nephron preserving percutaneous drainage in the treatment of emphysematous pyelonephritis.
- Resuscitation of smoke inhalation and burn injury with a thioredoxin mimeticANDREW LURIE SALZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..the following indices: 1) Reduced lung inflammation and injury, as manifested in lung wet/dry ratio, lymphatic drainage, lipid peroxidation, airway obstruction, histologic scoring, PMN infiltration, ONOO- (3-nitrotyrosine, "3-NT") ..
- Gold Nanoparticle Assisted Delivery of Cancer Vaccines and Immune StimulantsAdam Lin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Gold nanoparticles (AuNPs), on the other hand, have three advantages: potential lymph drainage due to their small size, simplistic synthesis/conjugation process and passively collection in antigen presenting ..
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPAUL LEON KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..third goal is to better understand the role of an important neurotransmitter (nitric oxide) in regulating normal and drug induced changes in aqueous humor formation and drainage in order to provide the basis for novel glaucoma therapies.
- Harness Germinal Matrix HemorrhageJohn H Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2013..of extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins, which obstruct the cerebroventricular system and impair CSF drainage. Thrombin participates in the proliferation of scar tissue by activating a subfamily of G protein-coupled ..
- Cellular Mechanisms of Lymphatic Muscle ContractilityMICHAEL JOHN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2012..to promote lymphangiogenesis in chronically edematous tissue, strategies to enhance lymphatic pump function and drainage of the affected regions are necessary...
- Utilization of calcite for the reduction of coal mine dust toxicityXi Huang; Fiscal Year: 2010In the coal industry, calcite (CaCO3) is widely used to prevent explosions, treat acid mine drainage, and absorb acid rain components such as sulfur dioxide released during combustion...
- Matricellular Proteins in Trabecular Meshwork Increase Intraocular PressureDouglas J Rhee; Fiscal Year: 2013..Elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) is a causative risk factor and is due to altered drainage through the trabecular meshwork (TM)...
- Bronchial Vascular Proliferation and FunctionElizabeth Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2012..ELR+ CXC chemokines for the growth of new bronchial blood vessels, determine whether mediastinal lymph drainage provides a mechanism whereby parenchymal growth factors transit upstream to promote bronchial angiogenesis, and ..
- Angiopoietins in vascular and lymphatic remodeling of airways and lungDonald M McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2013..lymphatic maturation and formation of specialized button-like endothelial junctions necessary for efficient fluid drainage. Aim #2 will also investigate the benefit of manipulating angiopoietin actions in pulmonary lymphangiectasia and ..
- Circulating miRNA as a biomarker for biliary atresiaJoshua R Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This is successful in ~50% of cases (8-11), but even patients with apparently adequate biliary drainage may experience ongoing hepatic fibrosis and bile duct loss...
- ANTERIOR OCULAR SEGMENT PHYSIOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGYPaul Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..of the physiological, pharmacological, neural and morphological mechanisms and responses governing aqueous humor drainage, and provide insights into the therapeutic and toxicological mechanisms of current and putative antiglaucoma ..
- Device to Improve Treatment of Colorectal Cancer Using O2 Dependent PhosphorescenJASON MATTHEW ZAND; Fiscal Year: 2010..can cause a spectrum of morbidities to the patient including local abscess formation - requiring procedural drainage, tumor recurrence, debilitating pain, dysfunctional defecation, and overwhelming bacterial sepsis resulting in ..
- Chronic Rhinosinusitis Integrative Studies Program (CRISP)Robert P Schleimer; Fiscal Year: 2013..It involves inflammation of the paranasal sinuses that results in facial pain/pressure, nasal and sinus drainage, smell loss, and nasal obstruction...
- Natural History of Urban LeptospirosisAlbert Icksang Ko; Fiscal Year: 2013..that effective prevention of urban leptospirosis requires providing slum communities with adequate sewage and drainage systems...
- Cellular Physiology of the Aqueous Outflow PathwayHaiyan Gong; Fiscal Year: 2013..found, in mouse, bovine, monkey and human eyes, that only a fraction of outflow pathways actively contribute to drainage and termed those areas of outflow as the effective filtration area (EFA)...
- A novel device for improving sepsis outcomes through hemodynamic optimizationBrett D Mensh; Fiscal Year: 2013..Its innovative design combines fast pressure sensing functionality within the structure of a standard urinary drainage catheter...
- External Glaucoma Drainage DeviceBruce Klitzman; Fiscal Year: 2012..One of the primary reasons for surgical failure is the wound healing around the glaucoma drainage device (GDD) outflow path...
- Determining Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of GlaucomaKAYARAT SAIDAS NAIR; Fiscal Year: 2013..various anatomical and physiological factors, the iris is pushed forward causing physical blockage of the ocular drainage structure...
- Long-Acting Mucus-Penetrating Steroid Particles for Treatment of Eye InflammationHongming Chen; Fiscal Year: 2011..comfort and localized action, are cleared from the ocular surface within minutes by lachrymation, blinking and drainage. Even highly potent anti-inflammatory corticosteroids must be instilled at least 4W/day at doses that compensate ..
- Reverse Engineering of Trabecular MeshworkNils A Loewen; Fiscal Year: 2013..9 million. Decreased drainage through a strainer-like structure called "trabecular meshwork" is responsible for the elevated eye pressure and ..
- The Development Epithelial Sodium Channel Blockers for Chronic Dry EyeBenjamin Yerxa; Fiscal Year: 2011..volume of tear film on the ocular surface represents a balance between tear fluid output versus fluid loss via drainage, evaporation, or epithelial absorption...
- A new class of biodegradable synthetic biomaterial for seroma preventionMichael Craven; Fiscal Year: 2012..incidence of seroma formation and the resulting increase in patient morbidity has led to the widespread use of drainage to treat seroma after formation...
- The Development Epithelial Sodium Channel Blockers for Chronic Dry EyeKARL H DONN; Fiscal Year: 2010..volume of tear film on the ocular surface represents a balance between tear fluid output versus fluid loss via drainage, evaporation, or epithelial absorption...
- Development of an anti-bias caster systemTODD HARGRODER; Fiscal Year: 2010..of travel) are necessary to transitions from one grade to another, and cross-slopes are required for water drainage. Although the ADA accessibility guidelines place upper limits on the allowable angle of these slopes, these ..
- The Role of Lymphangiogenesis in IBD PathogenesisClaudio Fiocchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..that is beneficial when properly regulated but, if persistent or dysregulated, results in impaired lymphatic drainage and contributes to exacerbate inflammation...
- Ultrasound application in treatment of intra-cranial hemorrhageDOUGLAS R HANSMANN; Fiscal Year: 2010..of EKOS ultrasound micro catheter, designed for treatment of ischemic stroke and an external ventricular drainage catheter. This combination was perceived quite challenging for use by clinicians...
- Real time imaging of the aqueous outflow pathway by two-photon endoscopyHiroshi Nakamura; Fiscal Year: 2009..HEALTH RELEVANCE: The elevation of intraocular pressure often associated with glaucoma is related to reduced drainage of the aqueous humor fluid from the eye...
- Implantable Microdevice for the Treatment of HydrocephalusHONGSEOK NOH; Fiscal Year: 2009..The shunt device consists of a one-way valve and two long tubes connected to the ventricular space and the drainage space, respectively...
- 5Lipoxygenase-mediated vasculopathy in HHcyDomenico Pratico; Fiscal Year: 2013..Once formed Abeta is rapidly eliminated along perivascular lymphatic drainage pathways...
- Novel Wound Powder RGN107 to Reduce Wound Odor, Pain and Exudate at End-of-LifeTeresa J Kelechi; Fiscal Year: 2013..care research on feasible comfort measures is minimal to address physical symptoms such as pain, odor, and wound drainage (exudate) that often accompany wounds that develop at the end of life...
- Bacterial Interference to Prevent Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract InfectionBARBARA WELLS TRAUTNER; Fiscal Year: 2013..coli HU2117. Subjects will be >50 years of age, dependent upon long-term catheters for bladder drainage, and will have baseline bacteriuria...
- Continuous Real Time CSF Shunt Flow Monitor ShuntCheckMarek Swoboda; Fiscal Year: 2013..ongoing clinical management of shunted patients is complex (due to a lack of tools for investigating CSF over drainage, for assessing the performance of specific shunt valves and siphon control devices and for streamlining the ..
- Clot Lysis: Evaluating Accelerated Resolution of IVH Phase III (CLEAR III)Daniel F Hanley; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current therapy which uses extraventricular drainage (EVD) neither improves long-term survival nor alters the effect of blood on tissue...
- SIGNIFICANCE OF IMMUNOLOGICAL SEQUESTRATION IN THE EYEDALE SANNES GREGERSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..which reduces lymphocytic perusal of the retina, minimizes leakage of antigens, and limits conventional lymphatic drainage. Based on our recent results, we propose that the lack of local antigen presenting cells is an important ..
- A Thermo-responsive Biopharmaceutical to Enhance the Tear Production of LacritinSandeep Samudre; Fiscal Year: 2013..A major limitation of the ocular topical route is the rapid loss of drug via tearing and nasolacrimal drainage, requiring the use of frequent dosing and high drug concentrations that then create formulation difficulties, ..
- Biochemical Markers in Adult Patients with Aneurysmal Subarachnoid HemorrhageStephen B Lewis; Fiscal Year: 2010..Collecting CSF samples for biomarker testing among TBI patients is a challenge, as not all patients need routine drainage and the overall population is varied because many patients sustain a serious concurrent injury...
- Therapy for Secondary Lymphedema in Breast CancerAnnissa Furr; Fiscal Year: 2013..This work will ultimately reduce post-treatment costs associated with breast cancer, and may be applied to other conditions to promote lymphatic regrowth and appropriate drainage of interstitial fluid.
- Novel Optical Microprobes for Ultra-Precise Intraocular Laser SurgeryVasily N Astratov; Fiscal Year: 2010..such as corneal surgery, lens removal, glaucoma filtration procedures, choroidotomy for subretinal fluid drainage, and vitreous removal...
- Engineering Functional Lymphatic Networks in VitroJOE Y TIEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..collagen gels as scaffolds and to manipulate the microenvironmental conditions to mimic native lymphatic drainage conditions in vivo...
- Gown and Glove Use to Prevent the Spread of Infection in VA Community Living CentMary Claire Roghmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..upon healthcare personnel for healthcare and activities of daily living or residents whose secretions or drainage cannot be contained)...
- eNOS-Dependent Mechanoregulation of Intraocular PressureW Daniel Stamer; Fiscal Year: 2013..While the etiology of ocular hypertension in glaucoma is known to involve the conventional drainage pathway, the cellular mechanisms responsible for generation of this extra resistance are unknown...
- Development of Double Lumen Cannula for Percutaneous Right Heart SupportBill Sidor; Fiscal Year: 2012..The DLC consists of main DLC body extension infusion cannula. The drainage lumen opens in the RA to drain total venous return from both the SVC and IVC, while the infusion cannula extends ..
- Targeting the Anterior Segment with Homing Peptides from Phage DisplayDonna M Peters; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although reduced drainage of aqueous humor through the TM accounts for at least 90% of abnormalities resulting in glaucoma, there are very ..
- Treatment of Cerebral Edema using Ventricular TherapyJIM STICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..clinical data to support the design of a pivotal study intended to demonstrate RVOT superiority to conventional drainage. ICP will be the primary endpoint. Study results will be used to support a FDA 510(k) product approval...
- CEREBROSPINAL FLUID MONITOR AND CONTROL SYSTEM FOR HYDROCEPHALUSSukhraaj Basati; Fiscal Year: 2012..Improper settings may lead to over- or under-drainage of the brain ventricles, which can lead to death if untreated...
- Long Term Implantable ICP Monitor for Hydrocephalus PatientsMarek Swoboda; Fiscal Year: 2013..ongoing clinical management of shunted patients is complex (due to a lack of tools for investigating CSF over-drainage and for assessing the performance of specific shunt valves and siphon control devices)...
- Continuous Real Time CSF Shunt Flow Monitor ShuntCheckMarek Swoboda; Fiscal Year: 2011..ongoing clinical management of shunted patients is complex (due to a lack of tools for investigating CSF over drainage, for assessing the performance of specific shunt valves and siphon control devices and for streamlining the ..
- A Desktop Assembly and Analysis Pipeline for Next-gen Metagenomic SequencingTIMOTHY J DURFEE; Fiscal Year: 2011..and archaeal communities have been identified in virtually every ecological niche examined, from acid mine drainage to tropospheric clouds to the human body...
- Engineering a Functional Liver Graft for Treatment of End Stage Liver DiseaseDENVER MICHAEL FAULK; Fiscal Year: 2013..liver ECM scaffolds retain the three-dimensional macrostructure, the native microvascular network, and the bile drainage system;allowing for complete recellularization of all native cell types, and 3) liver regeneration can be ..
- Accelerated Neuro-MRA Using Compressed Sensing and Constrained ReconstructionPATRICK ALAN TURSKI; Fiscal Year: 2013..The speed of MRI is often not enough to visualize the arterial inputs and venous drainage of arterial-venous malformations (AVM)...
- Clinical Trial for CA-MRSA InfectionsDENISE TRITT; Fiscal Year: 2011..unreadable] To compare the efficacy of clindamycin and trimethoprim-sulfmethoxazole in conjunction with surgical drainage for suppurative uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections...
- Targeted nanoscale antigen arrays for treating autoimmune diseasesCory Berkland; Fiscal Year: 2012..When properly designed, these nanomaterials facilitate: 1) drainage to lymph nodes (site of antigen priming) and 2) multivalent presentation of both antigen and an immune cell ..
- Functional Imaging of Tumor-Associated LymphaticsSunkuk Kwon; Fiscal Year: 2013..the same approach was employed in mice with extensive lymph node (LN) metastasis to image alteration of lymphatic drainage pathways and lymphatic contractile activity...
- PAI-1 Targeted Intrapleural Fibronolytic TherapyAndrey Komissarov; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Pleural drainage is required for complicated parapneumonic effusions and empyema in up to 40,000 US patients annually...
- Prevention of RGC loss in an in vitro excitotoxic model and an in vivo model of gCindy L Linn; Fiscal Year: 2012..using the hypertonic saline model, where 2M hypertonic saline is injected into episcleral veins to decrease the drainage through the trabecular meshwork, resulting in a slow increase in intraocular pressure, the primary risk factor ..
- REFLEXES IN LEFT VENTRICULAR DYSFUNCTIONCHULANI KAPPAGODA; Fiscal Year: 2003..by activation of renal C fiber afferents, and e) the diuresis is associated with obstruction of pulmonary lymph drainage is absent...
- Telemetric Implantable Intraocular Pressure Sensor SysteLAWRENCE WAN; Fiscal Year: 2003..a new and unique miniature ophthalmic lOP sensor, to be retrofitted into the cannula of a conventional Glaucoma Drainage Device and surgically implanted under the sclera for the purpose of continuous measurement and transmission of ..
- A Device to Reduce Anastomotic Failure in the Treatment of Colorectal CancerJASON ZAND; Fiscal Year: 2009..can cause a spectrum of morbidities to the patient including local abscess formation - requiring procedural drainage, tumor recurrence, debilitating pain, dysfunctional defecation, and overwhelming bacterial sepsis resulting in ..
- LUNG FUNCTION IN PROLONGED HEART FAILUREMarie Francoise Doursout; Fiscal Year: 2004..Limited lung lymphatic drainage may contribute to the pulmonary edema in some types of heart failure...
- Lymphangiogenesis and Angiogenesis in Airway InflammationDonald McDonald; Fiscal Year: 2009..hypothesis is that persistent airway inflammation leads to abnormalities in mucosal lymphatics that impair fluid drainage, and could lead to bronchial lymphedema, which worsens airway obstruction and perturbs immune responses by ..
- Development of the PathLock biasing caster system Phase 2TODD HARGRODER; Fiscal Year: 2013..of travel) are necessary to transitions from one grade to another, and cross-slopes are required for water drainage. Although the ADA accessibility guidelines place upper limits on the allowable angle of these slopes these limits ..
- Amniotic Membrane versus Pericardium in Reducing Glaucoma Drainage Tube ExposureHOSAM EL SHEHA; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Glaucoma drainage devices (GDDs) have widely been used in the treatment of high-risk refractory glaucoma...
- Value Added Product Generation from ARDPat James; Fiscal Year: 2011..This is particularly valuable for the many abandoned mines leaking toxic Acid Rock Drainage (ARD) Nation-wide and for which no economic incentive to correct presently exists (i.e...
- COATING OF URINARY PROTHESES TO PREVENT ENCRUSTATIONHarmeet Sidhu; Fiscal Year: 2000..and nephrological medicine for the management of urinary and peritoneal dialysis flow, haemodialysis, and drainage of renal calculi following laser or lithotripsy treatment...
- MASSAGE THERAPY FOR EXPERIMENTAL LYMPHEDEMAMarlys Witte; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Applicant's Abstract): Massage therapy (in the form of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) or Manual Lymphedema Treatment (MLT) is an integral component of the international consensus-recommended optimal treatment for lymphedema(LE) ..
- NOVEL ACCESSORY FOR URINARY LEG BAGSSHANTHA SARANGAPANI; Fiscal Year: 1999Urinary drainage bags called leg bags are commonly used with permanent indwelling catheters in patients, with incontinence or chronic disabilities, at rehabilitation centers or hospitals...
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKelly Young; Fiscal Year: 2004..g., laceration repair, fracture reduction, incision and drainage of an abscess, lumbar puncture) will be studied...
- Nitric Oxide and Chronic RhinosinusitisAbraham Jacob; Fiscal Year: 2001..population and is the reason for approximately 12-million physician office visits annually. Obstruction to sinus drainage and immune dysregulation are believed to result in mucosal disruption and hypersecretion, nasal obstruction, ..
- SURGERY FOR NEC IN HUMAN INFANTS-- A RANDOMIZED TRIALR Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..Simple primary peritoneal drainage (PPD) of the abdominal cavity is a novel, minimally invasive alternative...
- Stent Lock Mechanism for Transcutaneous CathetersNICHOLAS VITALE; Fiscal Year: 2005..access for chemotherapy, transcutaneous intrathoracic access of cardiac power lines, and suprapubic bladder drainage are among the clinical applications where transcutaneous catheters are routinely used in the course of treatment...
- Amniotic Membrane Patch Graft to Cover Glaucoma Drainage TubeHOSAM EL SHEHA; Fiscal Year: 2009Glaucoma drainage devices (GDDs) have widely been used in the treatment of high risk refractory glaucoma...
- FACILITY RENOVATION AND ANNENBERG CAGE WASH FACILITIYKenneth Davis; Fiscal Year: 2003..to this problem will be removing the existing floor, installing a new moisture barrier, and refashioning the drainage collection system. 3) One HVAC fan supplies the East side of the vivarium animal rooms and cage wash area...
- Bronchial Angiogenesis in the Ischemic LungAdlah Sukkar; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specific Aim 2: To determine whether mediastinal lymph drainage provides a mechanism whereby parenchymal growth factors transit upstream to promote angiogenesis of larger ..
- FACTORS DETERMINING INTRAOCULAR PRESSURESimon John; Fiscal Year: 2001..occur in the ciliary epithelium that produces the ocular fluid (aqueous humor) and in cells of the aqueous humor drainage (outflow) pathway. Available evidence suggests that the NPs act to decrease IOP...
- Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Detection of Secondary Lymph NodesBarry B Goldberg; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Accurate detection and characterization of lymph nodes that receive drainage from a primary cancer [i.e...