computer assisted surgery
Summary: Surgical procedures conducted with the aid of computers. This is most frequently used in orthopedic and laparoscopic surgery for implant placement and instrument guidance. Image-guided surgery interactively combines prior CT scans or MRI images with real-time video.
Publications253 found, 100 shown here
- Computer-assisted knee arthroplasty versus a conventional jig-based technique. A randomised, prospective trialS K Chauhan
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:372-7. 2004..011) and femorotibial mismatch (p = 0.037). Standing alignment was also improved (p = 0.004) and blood loss was less (p = 0.0001). Computer-assisted surgery took longer with a mean increase of 13 minutes (p = 0.0001)...
- Alignment in total knee arthroplasty. A comparison of computer-assisted surgery with the conventional techniqueH Bathis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:682-7. 2004..Potential benefits in the long-term outcome and functional improvement require further investigation...
- Imageless navigation for insertion of the acetabular component in total hip arthroplasty: is it as accurate as CT-based navigation?T Kalteis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, Asklepios Klinikum Bad Abbach, Kaiser Karl V Allee 3, 93077 Bad Abbach, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:163-7. 2006..001). The duration of the operation was increased by eight minutes with imageless and by 17 minutes with CT-based navigation. Imageless navigation proved as reliable as that using CT in positioning the acetabular component...
- Leg axis after computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomized trial comparing computer-navigated and manual implantationRalf Decking
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ulm, RKU, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Arthroplasty 20:282-8. 2005..This difference was statistically significant. The femoral and tibial mechanical anteroposterior axis and the femoral and tibial sagittal tilt (slope) measured on sagittal x-rays were not significantly improved in this patient group...
- Early experiences of endoscopic procedures in general surgery assisted by a computer-enhanced surgical systemM Hashizume
Department of Disaster and Emergency Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, 3 1 1, Maidashi, Higashi ku, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Surg Endosc 16:1187-91. 2002....
- Mid-term results of cementless total hip replacement using a ceramic-on-ceramic bearing with and without computer navigationN Sugano
Department of Medical Engineering, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita 565 0871, Osaka, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:455-60. 2007..It also reduced the rate of dislocation and mechanical problems related to impingement...
- Randomized control trial comparing radiographic total knee arthroplasty implant placement using computer navigation versus conventional techniquePak Lin Chin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
J Arthroplasty 20:618-26. 2005..0%). In the sagittal axis, 90.0% CAS also had better outcomes compared with EM (63.3%) and IM (76.7%). Computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty helps increase accuracy and reduce "outliers" for implant placement...
- Navigated open-wedge high tibial osteotomy: advantages and disadvantages compared to the conventional technique in a cadaver studyS Hankemeier
Trauma Department of Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 14:917-21. 2006..Future studies have to analyse the clinical effects of navigation on corrective osteotomies...
- Blood loss after total knee replacement: effects of computer-assisted surgeryY Kalairajah
SPORTSMED SA, 32 Payneham Road, Stepney, Adelaide 5069, South Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:1480-2. 2005..This allows the ordering of less blood before the operation, reduces risks at transfusion and gives financial saving. Computer-assisted surgery may also be useful for patients in whom blood products are not acceptable...
- Percutaneous sonographically guided radiofrequency ablation of medium-sized fibroids: feasibility studyChiara Recaldini
Department of Radiology, University of Insubria, Viale Borri 57, 21100 Varese, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:1303-6. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the feasibility and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation under sonographic guidance as a unique procedure in the management of symptomatic uterine myomas...
- Role of navigation in total hip arthroplastyTodd C Kelley
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0212, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:153-8. 2009....
- Measurements of acetabular cup position and pelvic spatial orientation after total hip arthroplasty using computed tomography/radiography matchingSorin Blendea
Institute for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Comput Aided Surg 10:37-43. 2005..The Xalign method offered reasonable accuracy for cup orientation, and allowed cup and pelvic 3D anatomic measurements at different times...
- Optimum threshold setting for a positron-sensitive probe with background rejection capabilitySeiichi Yamamoto
Department of Electrical Engineering, Kobe City College of Technology, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 18:251-6. 2004..3 of the peak level of the pulse for the plastic scintillator and 0.7 of that for the BGO. With these threshold levels, the background counts could be decreased to less than 0.2% of the true positron counts...
- Learning the vagaries of computer-assisted total knee replacementJ M Sikorski
Hollywood Specialist Centre, Suite 8 95 Monash Avenue, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009, Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:903-10. 2005
- Validation and usefulness of a computer-assisted cup-positioning system in total hip arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized, controlled studySebastien Parratte
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Aix Marseille University, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:494-9. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare computer-assisted with freehand insertion of the acetabular component...
- Consistency of implantation of a total knee arthroplasty with a non-image-based navigation system: a case-control study of 235 cases compared with 235 conventionally implanted prosthesesJean Yves Jenny
Centre de Traumatologie et d Orthopedie, Strasbourg, France
J Arthroplasty 20:832-9. 2005..In accordance with current literature, survival of the navigated implanted prostheses is expected to be longer...
- Comparison of conventional versus computer-navigated acetabular component insertionRolf G A Haaker
Facharzt für Orthopädie Rheumatologie Sportmedizin, Chirotherapie, Phys Med Orthopädische Klinik, Brakel, Germany
J Arthroplasty 22:151-9. 2007..F ratio was 5.56 for inclination and 3.67 for anteversion (P < .0001). This study demonstrated substantial statistical improvement in accuracy of cup placement using CT-based navigation compared with freehand methods...
- Accuracy of treatment planning based on stereolithography in computer assisted surgeryKurt Schicho
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Med Phys 33:3408-17. 2006..5 mm. This study verifies that preoperative planning on SL models and intraoperative transfer of this plan with computer assisted navigation is a suitable and sufficiently reliable method for clinical applications...
- Are systemic emboli reduced in computer-assisted knee surgery?: A prospective, randomised, clinical trialY Kalairajah
SPORTSMED SA, 32 Payneham Road, Stepney, Adelaide 5069, South Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:198-202. 2006..0003).Our findings show that computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty, when compared with conventional jig-based surgery, significantly reduces systemic emboli as detected by transcranial Doppler ultrasonography...
- Navigated total knee replacement. A meta-analysisKai Bauwens
Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Center for Clinical Research, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Strasse 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:261-9. 2007..Proponents of navigated knee arthroplasty stress its potential to increase the precision of component placement. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to substantiate the validity and relevance of this contention...
- [CT analysis of leg alignment after conventional vs. navigated knee prosthesis implantation. Initial results of a controlled, prospective and randomized study]M Oberst
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Katharinenhospital, Stuttgart
Unfallchirurg 106:941-8. 2003..This article presents the first results of a controlled, prospective and randomised trial comparing navigation versus free-hand implantation in TKA with special reference to the rotation of the femoral component...
- [Sonography aided computer assisted surgery (SACAS) in orbital surgery]P U Lohnstein
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, 79106, Freiburg i Br
HNO 55:778-84. 2007..The application of computer assisted procedures in orbital surgery is made more difficult by the intraoperative tissue shift in intraorbital structures, since this intraoperative dislocation cannot be imaged in preoperative CT/MR datasets...
- Novel robotic catheter remote control system: feasibility and safety of transseptal puncture and endocardial catheter navigationWalid Saliba
Section of Cardiac Electrophysiology and Pacing, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:1102-5. 2006..The aims of this study were to demonstrate the safety and the feasibility of the robotic catheter remote control system (CCS) in endocardial navigation in all cardiac chambers, as well as facilitation of the transseptal puncture...
- The impact of CT image integration into an electroanatomic mapping system on clinical outcomes of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationPeter M Kistler
Department of Cardiology, St Bartholomew s Hospital and Queen Mary College, University of London, London, UK
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:1093-101. 2006..A detailed appreciation of left atrial/pulmonary vein (LA/PV) anatomy may be important in improving the safety and success of catheter ablation (CA) for atrial fibrillation (AF)...
- Periprosthetic femoral supracondylar fracture after total knee arthroplasty with navigation systemChi Huan Li
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, and Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Arthroplasty 23:304-7. 2008..Intramedullary nailing of the left femur was performed under close reduction. The possible complication of pinhole fracture to total knee arthroplasty with navigation system should be kept in mind...
- A prospective, randomized study of computer-assisted and conventional total knee arthroplasty. Three-dimensional evaluation of implant alignment and rotationGeorg Matziolis
Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite University Medicine Berlin, Chariteplatz 1, D 10117 Berlin, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:236-43. 2007..The objective of this study was to determine whether computer-assisted total knee arthroplasty is superior to the conventional surgical method with regard to the precision of implant positioning...
- Initial experience in the use of integrated electroanatomic mapping with three-dimensional MR/CT images to guide catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationJun Dong
Department of Medicine, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 0409, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:459-66. 2006..No prior studies have reported the use of integrated electroanatomic mapping with preacquired magnetic resonance/computed tomographic (MR/CT) images to guide catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF) in a series of patients...
- Accuracy of a computer-assisted navigation system for total knee replacementR P Pitto
University of Auckland, and Department of Orthopaedics, Middlemore Hospital, 93311 Otahuhu, Auckland, New Zealand
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:601-5. 2006..This is the first study designed to assess the accuracy of a clinically-validated navigation system. It demonstrates in vitro accuracy of the image-free navigation system in both normal and abnormal leg alignment settings...
- Closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy using computer-assisted surgery compared to the conventional techniqueD K Bae
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoeki dong, Dongdaemun ku, Seoul 130 702, Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1164-71. 2009..3 degrees vs 3.7 degrees , p = 0,012). We conclude that navigation provides reliable real-time intra-operative information, may increase accuracy, and improves the precision of a closed-wedge HTO...
- Reliability of limb alignment measurement for high tibial osteotomy with a navigation systemJ Lützner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Medical Faculty of the Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Eur J Med Res 14:447-50. 2009..This study investigates the accuracy of limb alignment measurements with a navigation system on a cadaver specimen...
- Radiographic and navigation measurements of TKA limb alignment do not correlateMark A Yaffe
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2736-44. 2008..This technology can function as an effective tool for assessing pre- and postoperative limb alignment and relating intraoperative alignment measurements to clinical and functional outcomes...
- How does soft tissue distribution affect anteversion accuracy of the palpation procedure in image-free acetabular cup navigation? An ultrasonographic assessmentJens A Richolt
Orthopaedic University Clinic, Friedrichsheim Foundation, Marienburgstrasse 2, D 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Comput Aided Surg 10:87-92. 2005..In comparison with these permitted +/- 10 degrees windows, the amount of misinterpretation that was found due to uneven soft tissue distribution seems to be acceptable...
- Modeling for radio-frequency conductive keratoplasty: implications for the maximum temperature reached in the corneaEnrique J Berjano
Center for Research and Innovation on Bioengineering, Valencia Polytechnic University, Camino de Vera s n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Physiol Meas 26:157-72. 2005....
- Functional impact of navigation-assisted minimally invasive total knee arthroplastyJong Keun Seon
Center for Joint Disease, Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital, Jeonnam, Korea
Orthopedics 28:s1251-4. 2005....
- The efficacy of computer assisted surgery in the endoscopic management of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrheaAbtin Tabaee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:936-43. 2005To determine the outcome of endoscopic repair of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhea with and without computer assisted surgery.
- Focused ultrasound surgery of intramural leiomyomas may facilitate fertility: a case reportMiriam M F Hanstede
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Fertil Steril 88:497.e5-7. 2007..To describe a successful pregnancy after a change in configuration of the endometrial cavity after magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for leiomyomas...
- Evaluation of different miniplates in fixation of fractured human mandible with the finite element methodHasan Husnu Korkmaz
Civil Engineering Department, Engineering and Architecture Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e1-13. 2007..The results obtained from this study offer the choice of a particular plate size, thickness, design, or configuration for application and thus provide information for clinical use...
- [Optimization of cup positioning in THA--comparison between conventional mechanical instrumentation and computer-assisted implanted cups by using the orthopilot navigation system]A Ottersbach
Orthopädische Klinik im St Vincenz Hospital, Danziger Str 17, 33034 Brakel
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:611-5. 2005..The goal of the current study was to determine the accuracy of free-hand and computer-assisted cup replacement...
- Thermal-electrical modeling for epicardial atrial radiofrequency ablationEnrique J Berjano
Departamento de Ingenieria Electronica, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Camino de Vera s n, Valencia, Spain
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:1348-57. 2004..It was also proved that the presence of a fat layer between the electrode and the atrial tissue decreased significantly the lesion dimensions...
- Digital correction of magnification in pelvic x rays for preoperative planning of hip joint replacements: theoretical development and clinical results of a new protocolB The
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Med Phys 32:2580-9. 2005..Future research might clarify if a strict calibration protocol, as presented in this study, results in more accurate preoperative planning of hip joint replacements...
- Positron detection for the intraoperative localisation of cancer depositsMorand Piert
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1534-44. 2007..The study investigated the feasibility of a positron-sensitive hand-held detector system for the intraoperative localisation of tumour deposits resulting from intravenous [(18)F]FDG administration...
- Radiological results of image-based and non-image-based computer-assisted total knee arthroplastyH Bathis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, PO Box 100662, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Int Orthop 28:87-90. 2004..No significant differences were found for varus/valgus orientation of the femoral and tibial components...
- Greater accuracy in positioning of the acetabular cup by using an image-free navigation systemT Kalteis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, Bad Abbach, Germany
Int Orthop 29:272-6. 2005..001 each). While only 11/22 of the cups in the control group were within the Lewinnek safe zone, 21/23 of the cups in the study group were placed in this target region (p=0.003)...
- Total hip arthroplasty through a minimal posterior approach using imageless computer-assisted hip navigationRichard L Wixson
Department of Orthopaedics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 2983, USA
J Arthroplasty 20:51-6. 2005..The use of a computer-assisted surgery navigation system with a minimal posterior incision for a total hip arthroplasty results in significantly more reproducible acetabular component placement...
- Robotic technology in surgery: past, present, and futureDavid B Camarillo
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Am J Surg 188:2S-15S. 2004..Such advances will enable continued progress in surgical instrumentation and, ultimately, surgical care...
- Image-guided sinus surgery: practical considerationsRalph Metson
Department of Otology and Laryngology Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 38:527-34. 2005..Surgeons who use this technology must do so with an appreciation of its potential benefits, as well as its possible pitfalls...
- Process optimization in navigated total knee arthroplastyTim Alexander Walde
Nordwestkrankenhaus Sanderbusch, Sande, Germany
Orthopedics 28:s1255-8. 2005..For all patients, alignment was within 3 degrees varus/valgus postoperatively, and the mean Knee Society Score improved from 25 points preoperatively to 83 points 6 weeks postoperatively...
- The accuracy of free-hand cup positioning--a CT based measurement of cup placement in 105 total hip arthroplastiesG Saxler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Germany
Int Orthop 28:198-201. 2004..and found that only 27/105 cups were implanted within the limits of the safe position. We conclude that a safe position as defined by Lewinnek et al.  was only achieved in a minority of the cups that were implanted freehand...
- Accuracy evaluation of direct navigation with an isocentric 3D rotational X-ray systemEverine B van de Kraats
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Q0S 459, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Med Image Anal 10:113-24. 2006..The individual steps in the registration procedure are explained and evaluated. The acquired navigation accuracy using this coupling is approximately one millimeter...
- [Implantation of a non-cemented acetabulum with the use of a navigation system]V Stipcák
Ortopedické oddĕlení Nemocnice Znojmo
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 71:288-91. 2004..To compare, on the basis of clinical and radiographic findings, the results of non-cemented acetabulum implantation involving the use of a CT-free navigation system with those of implantation without its use...
- Initial experience with the four-arm computer-enhanced telesurgery device in foregut surgeryMatthew E Newlin
Department of Surgery and Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Ohio State University School of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, 43210, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 14:121-4. 2004..In this report, we describe our experience with the da Vinci robot with a fourth arm modification for the performance of selected surgical procedures...
- An intra-operative positron probe with background rejection capability for FDG-guided surgerySeiichi Yamamoto
Department of Electrical Engineering, Kobe City College of Technology, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 19:23-8. 2005..These results indicate that our developed intra-operative positron probe is valuable for radio-guided surgery on tumors using F-18-FDG in a high flux of background annihilation gamma photons...
- Radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors: simulation, planning, and contribution of virtual reality and hapticsCaroline Villard
LSIIT, Boulevard Sebastien Brant, Illkirch, F67400, France
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 8:215-27. 2005..We also studied how the use of virtual reality and haptic devices are valuable to make simulation and training realistic and effective...
- The role of a positron- and high-energy gamma photon probe in intraoperative localization of recurrent melanomaBenjamin L Franc
Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0252, USA
Clin Nucl Med 30:787-91. 2005....
- Factors affecting error in integration of electroanatomic mapping with CT and MR imaging during catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationE Kevin Heist
Cardiac Arrhythmia Service and Cardiac Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Gray 109, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA, 02114, USA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 17:21-7. 2006..We sought to examine the effect of patient- and technique-related factors on integration accuracy of electroanatomic mapping with CT and MR imaging of the left atrium...
- PET probe-guided surgerySeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care, Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:353-7. 2007..Due to high-energy photon fluxes, achieving a satisfactory TBR intraoperatively is challenging and requires development of a clinically feasible PET-probe guided surgery protocol...
- Influence of electrical and thermal properties on RF ablation of breast cancer: is the tumour preferentially heated?Vilhelm Ekstrand
Department of Surgical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Biomed Eng Online 4:41. 2005..The object of this study was to investigate if this preferential heating existed during experimental in vitro protocols and during computer simulations...
- Fractures associated with computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty. A report of two casesHo Joong Jung
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical Center of Chung Ang University, 224 1 Heukseok dong, Dongjak Gu, Seoul 156 755, Republic of Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:2280-4. 2007
- Two-year outcomes of computed tomography-based and computed tomography free navigation for total knee arthroplastiesArno Martin
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Academic Teaching Hospital, Medical University of Innsbruck, Feldkirch, Austria
Clin Orthop Relat Res 449:275-82. 2006..Level of Evidence: Therapeutic Study, Level II. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- Experiences with computer navigated total knee arthroplastyZoltán Bejek
Department of Orthopedics, Semmelweis University Budapest, Karolina u 27, Budapest, Hungary
Int Orthop 31:617-22. 2007..The decision is in the hands of the doctor during the entire procedure. The real benefits of the computer navigated technique require further research and can be determined only after long-term analyses...
- Three-dimensional rotational X-ray navigation for needle guidance in percutaneous vertebroplasty: an accuracy studyEverine B van de Kraats
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1359-64. 2006....
- [The history and development of computer assisted orthopaedic surgery]J Y Jenny
Centre de Traumatologie et d Orthopedie, 10 avenue Baumann, F 67400, Illkirch, Fankreich
Orthopade 35:1038-42. 2006..Currently, several applications for computer assisted surgery are available...
- Navigation in total knee arthroplasty. A multicenter studyF Maculé-Beneyto
Knee Surgery Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Int Orthop 30:536-40. 2006..001). No significant differences were found in the final angle of the extremity with the different navigation systems. The navigation systems used in this study improve the frontal angle of the arthroplasty...
- Orientation of the acetabular component. A comparison of five navigation systems with conventional surgical techniqueM Honl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, LKH Klagenfurt, A 9020 Klagenfurt, St Veiter Strasse 47, Carinthia, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1401-5. 2006..966). The use of computer navigation helps a surgeon to orientate the acetabular component with less variation regarding inclination and anteversion...
- Computer navigation of the acetabular component: a cadaver reliability studyJ M F Spencer
Department of Medical Engineering and Physics, Royal Perth Hospital, 6 Selby Street, Shenton Park, Perth 6008, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:972-5. 2006..3 degrees ). The present method for registering pelvic landmarks shows significant inaccuracy, which highlights the need for improved methods of registration before this technique is considered to be safe...
- Nationwide survey on the use of image-guided functional endoscopic sinus surgeryEdward J Hepworth
Associates of Otolaryngology, P C, 950 E Harvard Avenue, Denver, CO 80210, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:68-73. 2006..To evaluate impressions and usage of sinus surgery image-guided surgical (IGS) systems by ENT surgeons in the United States...
- Femoral stress fracture after computer navigated total knee arthroplastyChristian Ossendorf
Balgrist University Hospital, Department of Orthopedics, University of Zurich Forchstr 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Knee 13:397-9. 2006..However, every new technique is associated with its own complications. Here, we report on a patient who developed a distal femoral stress fracture after two attempts at fixing the navigation tracker...
- Evaluation of component positioning in primary total hip arthroplasty using an imageless navigation device compared with traditional methodsBrian C Najarian
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Arthroplasty 24:15-21. 2009..Navigation provided controlled, reproducible acetabular alignment; but a learning curve existed in terms of accuracy, estimated blood loss, and operating room time...
- Theoretical modeling for radiofrequency ablation: state-of-the-art and challenges for the futureEnrique J Berjano
Center for Research and Innovation on Bioengineering, Valencia Polytechnic University, Camino de Vera s n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Biomed Eng Online 5:24. 2006..After analyzing the current and future benefits of this technique it finally suggests future lines and trends in the research of this area...
- Reduction in variability of acetabular cup abduction using computer assisted surgery: a prospective and randomized studyT Leenders
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital of Antwerp, Belgium
Comput Aided Surg 7:99-106. 2002..to position the cup, although these procedures were performed in the period after we had begun using the Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) system. The variability in cup abduction angle was assessed in all three groups and compared...
- Computer-assisted navigation in total knee replacement: results of an initial experience in thirty-five patientsS David Stulberg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:90-8. 2002
- Mini-incision technique for total hip arthroplasty with navigationAnthony M DiGioia
Institute for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15242, USA
J Arthroplasty 18:123-8. 2003..05), distance walked (P<.001), and stairs (P < 0.001). There was no significant difference between groups for pain, function, or range of motion at the 1-year follow-up examination...
- [Radiologic evaluation of cup placement variation in conventional total hip arthroplasty]U Leichtle
Orthopadische Klinik, Universitätsklinik Tübingen
Rofo 179:46-52. 2007..Determination of the amount of variation in conventional acetabular cup positioning (radiological inclination and anteversion) in view of different factors that could influence the measured angles...
- Computer-assisted orthopaedic surgery: do we need CAOS?J M Sikorski
Hollywood Private Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:319-23. 2003
- Three-dimensional computer-aided endoscopic sinus surgeryF J Uddin
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Laryngol Otol 117:333-9. 2003..It can augment the learning curve and enhance teaching and training in endoscopic sinus surgery but it is not a substitute for a thorough knowledge of paranasal sinus anatomy...
- Preoperative localization and radioguided parathyroid surgeryGiuliano Mariani
Regional Center of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pisa Medical School, Pisa, Italy
J Nucl Med 44:1443-58. 2003..Specific guidelines should be followed when selecting patients for gamma-probe-guided MIP...
- Accuracy of acetabular component positioning with a fluoroscopically referenced CAOS systemJames B Stiehl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Columbia St Mary s Hospital, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Comput Aided Surg 10:321-7. 2005..This study evaluated the accuracy, repeatability, and reproducibility of a fluoroscopic referenced system used for guiding acetabular component positioning...
- PET probe-guided surgery: applications and clinical protocolSeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care at Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
World J Surg Oncol 5:65. 2007..Intraoperative localization of PET positive recurrent/metastatic lesions can be facilitated using a hand-held PET probe...
- [Computer assisted orthopedics surgery]E Stindel
CHU de Brest, Service d Orthopedie, traumatologie et chirurgie réparatrice, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Boulevard Tanguy Prigent, 29609 Brest Cedex
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 93:2S11-32. 2007..We will terminate this round table with a presentation of future technological advances and propose our advice for an increasingly widespread use of these new techniques...
- Preliminary radiological evaluation of the Vector Vision CT-free knee module for implantation of the LCS knee prosthesisM H A Malik
Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral NHS Trust, Upton, Wirral CH49 5PE, United Kingdom
Knee 14:19-21. 2007We have assessed the bone cuts achieved at surgery as compared to the planned cuts produced during computer assisted surgery (CAS) using a CT-free navigation system...
- Radio-guided surgery in neuroendocrine tumorsSeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care at Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:309-15. 2007..Somatostatin analog radiopharmacy continues to evolve to include the development of more selective and higher affinity analogs and PET tracers. These changes are expected to open new venues for radio-guided surgery technology...
- Mathematical modeling and numerical simulation in maxillo-facial virtual surgery (VISU)Claudio Marchetti
Department of Odontostomatological Sciences, University of Bologna, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 17:661-7; discussion 668. 2006..In 80% of the cases studied, the simulation-predicted changes, when compared with the clinical outcomes, were within the tolerance level (2 mm) established by maxillo-facial surgeons...
- [Computer-assisted screw placement into the posterior pelvic ring: assessment of different navigated procedures in a cadaver trial]D Briem
Zentrum für Operative Medizin, Klinik und Poliklinik für Unfall, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitäts Klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 42, 20246 Hamburg
Unfallchirurg 109:640-6. 2006..We therefore evaluated the features of a new 3D image intensifier used for navigated iliosacral screw placement compared to 2D fluoroscopic and CT navigation...
- A review of the endoscopic approach to the pituitary through the sphenoid sinusMarc R Rosen
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, 925 Chestnut St, 6th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 14:6-13. 2006..The refinement of minimally invasive endoscopic techniques has resulted in 'pure' endoscopic endonasal trans-sphenoidal surgery, which is a new approach for the removal of pituitary tumors...
- Data-fusion display system with volume rendering of intraoperatively scanned CT imagesMitsuhiro Hayashibe
Institute for High Dimensional Medical Imaging, Jikei Univ School of Medicine, 4 11 1, Izumihoncho, Komae shi, Tokyo 201 8601, Japan
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:559-66. 2005..The system performance was validated in an experiment carried out in the operating room...
- Gaze-contingent control for minimally invasive robotic surgeryGeorge P Mylonas
Department of Computing, Royal Society Wolfson Foundation Medical Image Computing Laboratory, 180 Queen s Gate, Imperial College London, London SW7 2BZ, United Kingdom
Comput Aided Surg 11:256-66. 2006..This work demonstrates that eye gaze derived from binocular eye tracking can be effectively used to recover 3D motion and deformation of the soft tissue...
- Robotic assisted radio-frequency ablation of liver tumors--randomized patient studyA Patriciu
The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:526-33. 2005..The results of this study show that in our case robotic interventions were a very viable solution. Several treatment parameters such as radiation exposures and procedure-times were found to be significantly improved in the robotic case...
- Soft-tissue motion tracking and structure estimation for robotic assisted MIS proceduresDanail Stoyanov
Royal Society Wolfson Foundation Medical Image Computing Laboratory, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BZ, UK
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:139-46. 2005..The practical value of the technique is demonstrated on both a deformable phantom model with tomographically derived surface geometry and in vivo robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery (MIS) image sequences...
- Endoscopic navigation for minimally invasive suturingChristian Wengert
Computer Vision Laboratory, ETH Zurich, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:620-7. 2007..Finally, a visual navigation aid can be incorporated, if a 3D surface is intraoperatively reconstructed from video or registered from preoperative imaging...
- Surgical navigation in oral implantologyRobert J Miller
Department of Oral Implantology, Atlantic Coast Dental Research Clinic, Palm Beach, FL, USA
Implant Dent 15:41-7. 2006..A new portable laptop navigated system for oral implantology is discussed as an adjunct for complex implant cases...
- [The foundations of computer assisted surgery]F Langlotz
MEM Forschungszentrum, Stauffacherstrasse 78, CH 3014 Bern, Schweiz
Orthopade 35:1032-7. 2006....
- [Sources of error and risks in CT based navigation]M Arand
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm
Orthopade 31:378-84. 2002..Further, the CT-based navigation of fractured vertebrae or unstable iliosacral joints is not safe, because dislocations between acquisition of the dataset and operation will lead to misguidance...
- [Drilling with 3D fluoroscopic navigation in osteonecrosis of the femoral condyle]M Citak
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany
Unfallchirurg 111:344-9. 2008..At present this is only possible with CT and MRI images. A comparative clinical trial is needed to find to what extent the success rate is improved over that achieved with conventional techniques...
- Magnetic resonance imaging-compatible, three-degrees-of-freedom joystick for surgical robotJuha Harja
Department of Electrical and Information Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland
Int J Med Robot 3:365-71. 2007..Currents generated by device electronics produce magnetic fields that distort MR images...
- Fast and efficient radiological interventions via a graphical user interface commanded magnetic resonance compatible robotic deviceAlpay Ozcan
Mallinkcrodt Inst of Radiol, Washington Univ Sch of Med, St Louis, MO, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:1762-7. 2006..Using the advantages of the MR modality the device saves time and effort, is safer for the medical staff and is more comfortable for the patient...
- Stereo display of 3D ultrasound images for surgical robot guidancePaul M Novotny
Division of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:1509-12. 2006..Results indicate that subjects were able to complete surgical tasks 35 % faster with stereo-displayed 3DUS images compared to conventional two dimensional display of 3DUS...
- [Development of an optical 3-D position measuring system for simultaneous detection of 6 degrees of freedom]L Abdelmalek
Institut für Medizintechnik und Biophysik, Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe
Biomed Tech (Berl) 47:48-53. 2002..The sensor described herein determines the position coordinates in a volume of 10 x 10 x 10 cm at a resolution of up to 1 mm for translations and 1 degree for rotations...
- [Stereotactic telepresence in otorhinolaryngologic surgery]W Freysinger
4D Visualisierung, Klinische Abteilung für allgemeine Hals, Nasen und Ohrenerkrankungen, Klinik fur Hals, Nasen und Ohrenheilkunde, Universitat Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Osterreich
HNO 50:424-32. 2002..Thus, optimal access paths and anatomical structures such as the a. carotis interna or the n. opticus can be displayed...
- Verification of clinical precision after computer-aided reconstruction in craniomaxillofacial surgeryMarc Christian Metzger
Department of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, Albert Ludwigs University Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:e1-10. 2007..The aim of this study was to evaluate the accuracy of the preoperative planning and the postoperative result regarding the skeletal reconstruction...
- [CRANIO--development of a system for computer- and robot-assisted craniotomy]P Bast
Institut für Biomedizinische Technologien, RWTH Aachen, Deutschland
Biomed Tech (Berl) 47:9-11. 2002..In this context, work space tests were performed with a hexapod parallel robot. The milling of any contour geometry could be realized with different tool angles using the existing CRIGOS robot system without additional axes...
- Automatic generation of hexahedral and tetrahedral meshesP Zerfass
Surgical Systems Lab, Research Center Caesar Friedensplatz 16, 53111 Bonn, Germany
Biomed Tech (Berl) 47:79-82. 2002..The software creates a pipeline to automatically construct meshed datasets for finite element modelling from presegmented patient data...
- High Intensity Ultrasound in GastroenterologyJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is anticipated that this work will help to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of HIFU and its potential role for other GI applications such as tumor therapy. ..
- AAOS/NIH Mulit-Year Research Symposia for 2005-2009Christopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..Disc Degeneration (2005), Developmental Biology and Orthopaedics (2006), Musculoskeletal Imaging and Computer Assisted Surgery (2007), Senior Sports and Aging (2008), Clinical Trials in Orthopaedics (2009)...
- A General Model of Saccadic Selectivity in Visual SearchMarc Pomplun; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, the results of the study can directly be applied to improve current human-computer interfaces for computer-assisted surgery and x-ray image analysis. ..
- Software Selective Focus for Cell AnalysisGregory Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004..even larger market in medical industrial and consumer applications: Surgical imaging used in remote and computer assisted surgery, Diagnostic imaging applications, e.g...
- Computer Assisted Surgery Prenatal Cardiac InterventionConstantinos Nikou; Fiscal Year: 2006..This technology has broad applicability to other ultrasound-guided procedures in the fetus, child, and adult. ..
- CORE SEGMENTATION TOOLS FOR COMPUTER ASSISTED SURGERYRon Kikinis; Fiscal Year: 2002..The segmentation algorithms will be enhanced and expanded, and protocols will be developed to assess their reproducibility, accuracy, and precision, based on currently accepted standard comparative measures. ..
- AAOS Multi-Year Research Symposia for 2006-2010Christopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..Fracture Repair: Critical Issues in Furthering our Understanding (2007), Musculoskeletal Imaging and Computer Assisted Surgery (2008), Orthopaedic Randomized Clinical Trials: Opportunities and Challenges (2009), and Musculoskeletal ..
- Clinical Validation and Testing of Percutaneous Cochlear ImplantationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Clinical Validation and Testing of Percutaneous Cochlear ImplantationRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Image-Guided Otologic SurgeryRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that this system will make ear surgery safer and more efficient. ..
- Pediatric Percutaneous Cochlear Implantation Clinical Validation & ImplementationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Robotic MastoidectomyRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that this strategy will be more efficient than either the human or robotic interventions examined in Specific Aim 2. ..
- Development of a Combined MRI-PET System for Contemporaneous Functional ImagingRAYMOND ROBERT RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..This device could be instrumental in the discovery of new drugs and methods to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of a large number of diseases. ..
- Development of a PEM-PET-CT Breast Imaging and Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND ROBERT RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE This application proposes the continued development of a dedicated breast PET-CT system. This device could be instrumental in the detection, diagnosis and treatment assessment of breast cancer. ..
- An Integrated System for Image-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver TumorsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2007..It would have a contribution to public health by developing liver cancer treatments without the need for more invasive surgeries. ..
- Developing computerized tools for cryosurgery planningYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such visualization capabilities will provide surgeons with insights into the physics of cryosurgery that are difficult to obtain from physical experiments or surgical practice. ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Robotically Assisted Mouse InterventionsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Perform a feasibility study using 10 mice to demonstrate the ability of the robot to biopsy the mouse flank as selected on the MRI images and evaluate the accuracy of the system. ..
- An Integrated System for Image-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver TumorsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009..It would have a contribution to public health by developing liver cancer treatments without the need for more invasive surgeries. ..
- Developing a Computerized Training Tool for CryosurgeryYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Development of this training tool is directed toward shortening the learning curve for cryosurgeons by performing virtual cryosurgery cases, and enabling reevaluation of past clinical cases. ..
- Development of a PEM-PET-CT Breast Imaging and Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE This application proposes the continued development of a dedicated breast PET-CT system. This device could be instrumental in the detection, diagnosis and treatment assessment of breast cancer. ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Computer Surgical Simulation for Craniofacial SurgeryJames Xia; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the United States each year, a significant number of patients undergo reconstructive surgery for these types of defects and deformities. ..
- A Beta-Sensitive Probe System for Use in EndoscopyRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- OR2020 Workshop: Operating Room of the FutureKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..The workshop is currently scheduled to be held from April 16-17, 2004, at Turf Valley Conference Center in Ellicot City, Maryland. ..
- Thermo mechanical stress in cryopreserved blood vesselsYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although the experimental work in this study is targeted to blood vessels, the results of this study could be expanded and become useful for a wide variety of cryopreserved natural tissues and engineered constructs. ..
- A Positron Emission Mammography/Tomography Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..At the completion of this project an apparatus for the effective detection and diagnosis of lesions for use in the subgroup of women with difficult to image breasts will have been developed and evaluated. ..
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..The system will be validated in phantom and animal studies. The R33 phase will result in a system that is ready for clinical trials. ..
- Software Toolkit for Image Guided SurgeryKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dissemination activities will be undertaken with the aim of fostering the use of the toolkit in research and clinical applications. ..
- Steering Flexible Needles in Soft TissueALLISON MARIKO OKAMURA; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RETROSPECTIVE IMAGE REGISTRATION EVALUATIONJ Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective assessment provided by this project should foster improvement of the accuracy of retrospective registration techniques. ..
- IMPROVING TREATMENT OUTCOMES FOR PATIENTS WITH FACIAL DEFORMITY USING 3D IMAGINGLucia Cevidanes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Involvement in these studies will enhance the candidate's prior training in cranio-maxillofacial problems and 3D imaging, while equipping her with tools to perform meaningful studies centered around patient oriented clinical research. ..
- MR-Image Guided Focused Ultrasound for Treatment of Liver and Renal CancerKIM PAULY; Fiscal Year: 2009..The work proposed here addresses these challenges and if successful, will represent a major advance in the non-invasive treatment of cancer. ..
- Signaling Pathways in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HIGH SPEED GRADIENT DRIVER UPGRADE FOR IMRI SCANNERR Butts; Fiscal Year: 2001..This upgrade will allow us to bring all applications into the real-time regime which is absolutely critical for interventional procedures. ..
- Ultrasound induced vessel thrombosis for treatment of Gastric varicesJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..This method can be translated to a clinically useful approach for the treatment of gastric varices with the development of an endoscopic-based ultrasound transducer ..
- Regulating Neuroendocrine Phenotype in CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these finding may permit development of components of raf-1 pathway as therapeutic targets in the treatment and palliation of NE tumors. ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Utilizing Lithium for Patients with Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Besides surgery, there are limited curative and palliative treatments available to patients with metastatic NE tumors, emphasizing the need for development of other forms of therapy. ..
- IMRI METHODS FOR CANCER DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENTR Butts; Fiscal Year: 2005..These improvements are the key to overcoming the barriers to the use of MR temperature imaging for guiding thermal therapies. ..
- Novel Signaling Targets in GI Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The possibility that raf-l-mediated hormone suppression could be induced by a soluble factor would provide a plausible, therapeutic delivery method. ..
- Quantification of Tumor Malignancy with MRIMeng Law; Fiscal Year: 2006..Molecular studies will be assessed by loss of heterozygosity using PCR. DNA will be extracted from paraffin curls of brain section and nail clippings and the following primers will be used: 1. D1S1592; 2. D19S219, D19S412. ..