computer assisted surgery
Summary: Surgical procedures conducted with the aid of computers. This is most frequently used in orthopedic and laparoscopic surgery for implant placement and instrument guidance. Image-guided surgery interactively combines prior CT scans or MRI images with real-time video.
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- Virtual reality-enhanced ultrasound guidance: a novel technique for intracardiac interventionsCristian A Linte
Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, London, Ontario, Canada
Comput Aided Surg 13:82-94. 2008..This paper provides an overview of our interventional system and specific experiments that assess its pre-clinical performance...
- Navigated total knee replacement. A meta-analysisKai Bauwens
Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Center for Clinical Research, Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin, Warener Strasse 7, 12683 Berlin, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:261-9. 2007..Proponents of navigated knee arthroplasty stress its potential to increase the precision of component placement. We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to substantiate the validity and relevance of this contention...
- Computer-assisted knee arthroplasty versus a conventional jig-based technique. A randomised, prospective trialS K Chauhan
Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:372-7. 2004..011) and femorotibial mismatch (p = 0.037). Standing alignment was also improved (p = 0.004) and blood loss was less (p = 0.0001). Computer-assisted surgery took longer with a mean increase of 13 minutes (p = 0.0001)...
- Leg axis after computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty: a prospective randomized trial comparing computer-navigated and manual implantationRalf Decking
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Ulm, RKU, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Arthroplasty 20:282-8. 2005..This difference was statistically significant. The femoral and tibial mechanical anteroposterior axis and the femoral and tibial sagittal tilt (slope) measured on sagittal x-rays were not significantly improved in this patient group...
- Alignment in total knee arthroplasty. A comparison of computer-assisted surgery with the conventional techniqueH Bathis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, Germany
J Bone Joint Surg Br 86:682-7. 2004..Potential benefits in the long-term outcome and functional improvement require further investigation...
- Randomized control trial comparing radiographic total knee arthroplasty implant placement using computer navigation versus conventional techniquePak Lin Chin
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore, Singapore
J Arthroplasty 20:618-26. 2005..0%). In the sagittal axis, 90.0% CAS also had better outcomes compared with EM (63.3%) and IM (76.7%). Computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty helps increase accuracy and reduce "outliers" for implant placement...
- [CT analysis of leg alignment after conventional vs. navigated knee prosthesis implantation. Initial results of a controlled, prospective and randomized study]M Oberst
Klinik fur Unfall und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Katharinenhospital, Stuttgart
Unfallchirurg 106:941-8. 2003..This article presents the first results of a controlled, prospective and randomised trial comparing navigation versus free-hand implantation in TKA with special reference to the rotation of the femoral component...
- Measurements of acetabular cup position and pelvic spatial orientation after total hip arthroplasty using computed tomography/radiography matchingSorin Blendea
Institute for Computer-Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Comput Aided Surg 10:37-43. 2005..The Xalign method offered reasonable accuracy for cup orientation, and allowed cup and pelvic 3D anatomic measurements at different times...
- Periprosthetic femoral supracondylar fracture after total knee arthroplasty with navigation systemChi Huan Li
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, and Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan
J Arthroplasty 23:304-7. 2008..Intramedullary nailing of the left femur was performed under close reduction. The possible complication of pinhole fracture to total knee arthroplasty with navigation system should be kept in mind...
- [Sonography aided computer assisted surgery (SACAS) in orbital surgery]P U Lohnstein
Hals Nasen Ohren Klinik, Universitatsklinikum Freiburg, 79106, Freiburg i Br
HNO 55:778-84. 2007..The application of computer assisted procedures in orbital surgery is made more difficult by the intraoperative tissue shift in intraorbital structures, since this intraoperative dislocation cannot be imaged in preoperative CT/MR datasets...
- Accuracy of treatment planning based on stereolithography in computer assisted surgeryKurt Schicho
University Hospital of Cranio Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Med Phys 33:3408-17. 2006..5 mm. This study verifies that preoperative planning on SL models and intraoperative transfer of this plan with computer assisted navigation is a suitable and sufficiently reliable method for clinical applications...
- Validation and usefulness of a computer-assisted cup-positioning system in total hip arthroplasty. A prospective, randomized, controlled studySebastien Parratte
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Aix Marseille University, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:494-9. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare computer-assisted with freehand insertion of the acetabular component...
- Reliability of limb alignment measurement for high tibial osteotomy with a navigation systemJ Lützner
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital Carl Gustav Carus, Medical Faculty of the Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Eur J Med Res 14:447-50. 2009..This study investigates the accuracy of limb alignment measurements with a navigation system on a cadaver specimen...
- Navigated open-wedge high tibial osteotomy: advantages and disadvantages compared to the conventional technique in a cadaver studyS Hankemeier
Trauma Department of Hannover Medical School, Carl Neuberg Str 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 14:917-21. 2006..Future studies have to analyse the clinical effects of navigation on corrective osteotomies...
- Accuracy of a computer-assisted navigation system for total knee replacementR P Pitto
University of Auckland, and Department of Orthopaedics, Middlemore Hospital, 93311 Otahuhu, Auckland, New Zealand
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:601-5. 2006..This is the first study designed to assess the accuracy of a clinically-validated navigation system. It demonstrates in vitro accuracy of the image-free navigation system in both normal and abnormal leg alignment settings...
- Initial experience in the use of integrated electroanatomic mapping with three-dimensional MR/CT images to guide catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationJun Dong
Department of Medicine, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287 0409, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 17:459-66. 2006..No prior studies have reported the use of integrated electroanatomic mapping with preacquired magnetic resonance/computed tomographic (MR/CT) images to guide catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF) in a series of patients...
- Closed-wedge high tibial osteotomy using computer-assisted surgery compared to the conventional techniqueD K Bae
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine Kyung Hee University, 1 Hoeki dong, Dongdaemun ku, Seoul 130 702, Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Br 91:1164-71. 2009..3 degrees vs 3.7 degrees , p = 0,012). We conclude that navigation provides reliable real-time intra-operative information, may increase accuracy, and improves the precision of a closed-wedge HTO...
- Blood loss after total knee replacement: effects of computer-assisted surgeryY Kalairajah
SPORTSMED SA, 32 Payneham Road, Stepney, Adelaide 5069, South Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:1480-2. 2005..This allows the ordering of less blood before the operation, reduces risks at transfusion and gives financial saving. Computer-assisted surgery may also be useful for patients in whom blood products are not acceptable...
- Radiographic and navigation measurements of TKA limb alignment do not correlateMark A Yaffe
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 466:2736-44. 2008..This technology can function as an effective tool for assessing pre- and postoperative limb alignment and relating intraoperative alignment measurements to clinical and functional outcomes...
- Three-dimensional rotational X-ray navigation for needle guidance in percutaneous vertebroplasty: an accuracy studyEverine B van de Kraats
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 31:1359-64. 2006....
- Radiological results of image-based and non-image-based computer-assisted total knee arthroplastyH Bathis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, PO Box 100662, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Int Orthop 28:87-90. 2004..No significant differences were found for varus/valgus orientation of the femoral and tibial components...
- Thermal-electrical modeling for epicardial atrial radiofrequency ablationEnrique J Berjano
Departamento de Ingenieria Electronica, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia Camino de Vera s n, Valencia, Spain
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 51:1348-57. 2004..It was also proved that the presence of a fat layer between the electrode and the atrial tissue decreased significantly the lesion dimensions...
- The accuracy of free-hand cup positioning--a CT based measurement of cup placement in 105 total hip arthroplastiesG Saxler
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Duisburg Essen, Hufelandstrasse 55, 45122, Germany
Int Orthop 28:198-201. 2004..and found that only 27/105 cups were implanted within the limits of the safe position. We conclude that a safe position as defined by Lewinnek et al.  was only achieved in a minority of the cups that were implanted freehand...
- Navigation in total knee arthroplasty. A multicenter studyF Maculé-Beneyto
Knee Surgery Unit, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Int Orthop 30:536-40. 2006..001). No significant differences were found in the final angle of the extremity with the different navigation systems. The navigation systems used in this study improve the frontal angle of the arthroplasty...
- Initial experience with the four-arm computer-enhanced telesurgery device in foregut surgeryMatthew E Newlin
Department of Surgery and Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Ohio State University School of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, 43210, USA
J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 14:121-4. 2004..In this report, we describe our experience with the da Vinci robot with a fourth arm modification for the performance of selected surgical procedures...
- The efficacy of computer assisted surgery in the endoscopic management of cerebrospinal fluid rhinorrheaAbtin Tabaee
Department of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 133:936-43. 2005..To determine the outcome of endoscopic repair of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhea with and without computer assisted surgery. STUDY DESIGN: A review of all patients undergoing endoscopic closure of CSF rhinorrhea at a tertiary ..
- Computer navigation of the acetabular component: a cadaver reliability studyJ M F Spencer
Department of Medical Engineering and Physics, Royal Perth Hospital, 6 Selby Street, Shenton Park, Perth 6008, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:972-5. 2006..3 degrees ). The present method for registering pelvic landmarks shows significant inaccuracy, which highlights the need for improved methods of registration before this technique is considered to be safe...
- Experiences with computer navigated total knee arthroplastyZoltán Bejek
Department of Orthopedics, Semmelweis University Budapest, Karolina u 27, Budapest, Hungary
Int Orthop 31:617-22. 2007..The decision is in the hands of the doctor during the entire procedure. The real benefits of the computer navigated technique require further research and can be determined only after long-term analyses...
- Nationwide survey on the use of image-guided functional endoscopic sinus surgeryEdward J Hepworth
Associates of Otolaryngology, P C, 950 E Harvard Avenue, Denver, CO 80210, USA
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135:68-73. 2006..To evaluate impressions and usage of sinus surgery image-guided surgical (IGS) systems by ENT surgeons in the United States...
- Femoral stress fracture after computer navigated total knee arthroplastyChristian Ossendorf
Balgrist University Hospital, Department of Orthopedics, University of Zurich Forchstr. 340, 8008 Zurich, Switzerland
Knee 13:397-9. 2006..However, every new technique is associated with its own complications. Here, we report on a patient who developed a distal femoral stress fracture after two attempts at fixing the navigation tracker...
- Orientation of the acetabular component. A comparison of five navigation systems with conventional surgical techniqueM Honl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, LKH Klagenfurt, A 9020 Klagenfurt, St Veiter Strasse 47, Carinthia, Austria
J Bone Joint Surg Br 88:1401-5. 2006..966). The use of computer navigation helps a surgeon to orientate the acetabular component with less variation regarding inclination and anteversion...
- [The history and development of computer assisted orthopaedic surgery]J Y Jenny
Centre de Traumatologie et d Orthopedie, 10 avenue Baumann, F 67400, Illkirch, Fankreich
Orthopade 35:1038-42. 2006..Currently, several applications for computer assisted surgery are available...
- Two-year outcomes of computed tomography-based and computed tomography free navigation for total knee arthroplastiesArno Martin
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Academic Teaching Hospital, Medical University of Innsbruck, Feldkirch, Austria
Clin Orthop Relat Res 449:275-82. 2006..Level of Evidence: Therapeutic Study, Level II. See the Guidelines for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence...
- Accuracy evaluation of direct navigation with an isocentric 3D rotational X-ray systemEverine B van de Kraats
Image Sciences Institute, University Medical Center Utrecht, Q0S 459, P O Box 85500, 3508 GA Utrecht, The Netherlands
Med Image Anal 10:113-24. 2006..The individual steps in the registration procedure are explained and evaluated. The acquired navigation accuracy using this coupling is approximately one millimeter...
- The role of a positron- and high-energy gamma photon probe in intraoperative localization of recurrent melanomaBenjamin L Franc
Department of Radiology, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0252, USA
Clin Nucl Med 30:787-91. 2005....
- Digital correction of magnification in pelvic x rays for preoperative planning of hip joint replacements: theoretical development and clinical results of a new protocolB The
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, University Medical Center Groningen, Hanzeplein 1, 9700 RB, Groningen, The Netherlands
Med Phys 32:2580-9. 2005..Future research might clarify if a strict calibration protocol, as presented in this study, results in more accurate preoperative planning of hip joint replacements...
- Total hip arthroplasty through a minimal posterior approach using imageless computer-assisted hip navigationRichard L Wixson
Department of Orthopaedics, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2983, USA
J Arthroplasty 20:51-6. 2005..The use of a computer-assisted surgery navigation system with a minimal posterior incision for a total hip arthroplasty results in significantly more reproducible acetabular component placement...
- Functional impact of navigation-assisted minimally invasive total knee arthroplastyJong Keun Seon
Center for Joint Disease, Chonnam National University Hwasun Hospital, Jeonnam, Korea
Orthopedics 28:s1251-4. 2005....
- Process optimization in navigated total knee arthroplastyTim Alexander Walde
Nordwestkrankenhaus Sanderbusch, Sande, Germany
Orthopedics 28:s1255-8. 2005..For all patients, alignment was within 3 degrees varus/valgus postoperatively, and the mean Knee Society Score improved from 25 points preoperatively to 83 points 6 weeks postoperatively...
- Radiofrequency ablation of hepatic tumors: simulation, planning, and contribution of virtual reality and hapticsCaroline Villard
LSIIT, Boulevard Sebastien Brant, Illkirch, F67400, France
Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin 8:215-27. 2005..We also studied how the use of virtual reality and haptic devices are valuable to make simulation and training realistic and effective...
- How does soft tissue distribution affect anteversion accuracy of the palpation procedure in image-free acetabular cup navigation? An ultrasonographic assessmentJens A Richolt
Orthopaedic University Clinic, Friedrichsheim Foundation, Marienburgstrasse 2, D 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Comput Aided Surg 10:87-92. 2005..In comparison with these permitted +/- 10 degrees windows, the amount of misinterpretation that was found due to uneven soft tissue distribution seems to be acceptable...
- Greater accuracy in positioning of the acetabular cup by using an image-free navigation systemT Kalteis
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Regensburg, Bad Abbach, Germany
Int Orthop 29:272-6. 2005..001 each). While only 11/22 of the cups in the control group were within the Lewinnek safe zone, 21/23 of the cups in the study group were placed in this target region (p=0.003)...
- Influence of electrical and thermal properties on RF ablation of breast cancer: is the tumour preferentially heated?Vilhelm Ekstrand
Department of Surgical Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Biomed Eng Online 4:41. 2005..The object of this study was to investigate if this preferential heating existed during experimental in vitro protocols and during computer simulations...
- Robotic technology in surgery: past, present, and futureDavid B Camarillo
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Am J Surg 188:2S-15S. 2004..Such advances will enable continued progress in surgical instrumentation and, ultimately, surgical care...
- [Optimization of cup positioning in THA--comparison between conventional mechanical instrumentation and computer-assisted implanted cups by using the orthopilot navigation system]A Ottersbach
Orthopädische Klinik im St Vincenz Hospital, Danziger Str 17, 33034 Brakel
Z Orthop Ihre Grenzgeb 143:611-5. 2005..The goal of the current study was to determine the accuracy of free-hand and computer-assisted cup replacement...
- [Implantation of a non-cemented acetabulum with the use of a navigation system]V Stipcák
Ortopedické oddĕlení Nemocnice Znojmo
Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech 71:288-91. 2004..To compare, on the basis of clinical and radiographic findings, the results of non-cemented acetabulum implantation involving the use of a CT-free navigation system with those of implantation without its use...
- An intra-operative positron probe with background rejection capability for FDG-guided surgerySeiichi Yamamoto
Department of Electrical Engineering, Kobe City College of Technology, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 19:23-8. 2005..These results indicate that our developed intra-operative positron probe is valuable for radio-guided surgery on tumors using F-18-FDG in a high flux of background annihilation gamma photons...
- Modeling for radio-frequency conductive keratoplasty: implications for the maximum temperature reached in the corneaEnrique J Berjano
Center for Research and Innovation on Bioengineering, Valencia Polytechnic University, Camino de Vera s n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Physiol Meas 26:157-72. 2005....
- Accuracy of acetabular component positioning with a fluoroscopically referenced CAOS systemJames B Stiehl
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical College of Wisconsin, Columbia St Mary s Hospital, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Comput Aided Surg 10:321-7. 2005..This study evaluated the accuracy, repeatability, and reproducibility of a fluoroscopic referenced system used for guiding acetabular component positioning...
- Image-guided sinus surgery: practical considerationsRalph Metson
Department of Otology and Laryngology Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Otolaryngol Clin North Am 38:527-34. 2005..Surgeons who use this technology must do so with an appreciation of its potential benefits, as well as its possible pitfalls...
- Learning the vagaries of computer-assisted total knee replacementJ M Sikorski
Hollywood Specialist Centre, Suite 8/95 Monash Avenue, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009, Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 87:903-10. 2005
- Theoretical modeling for radiofrequency ablation: state-of-the-art and challenges for the futureEnrique J Berjano
Center for Research and Innovation on Bioengineering, Valencia Polytechnic University, Camino de Vera s n, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Biomed Eng Online 5:24. 2006..After analyzing the current and future benefits of this technique it finally suggests future lines and trends in the research of this area...
- Preliminary radiological evaluation of the Vector Vision CT-free knee module for implantation of the LCS knee prosthesisM H A Malik
Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral NHS Trust, Upton, Wirral CH49 5PE, United Kingdom
Knee 14:19-21. 2007We have assessed the bone cuts achieved at surgery as compared to the planned cuts produced during computer assisted surgery (CAS) using a CT-free navigation system...
- Preoperative localization and radioguided parathyroid surgeryGiuliano Mariani
Regional Center of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pisa Medical School, Pisa, Italy
J Nucl Med 44:1443-58. 2003..Specific guidelines should be followed when selecting patients for gamma-probe-guided MIP...
- Fractures associated with computer-navigated total knee arthroplasty. A report of two casesHo-Joong Jung
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical Center of Chung-Ang University, 224-1 Heukseok-dong, Dongjak-gu, Seoul 156-755, Republic of Korea
J Bone Joint Surg Am 89:2280-4. 2007
- PET probe-guided surgerySeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care, Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:353-7. 2007..Due to high-energy photon fluxes, achieving a satisfactory TBR intraoperatively is challenging and requires development of a clinically feasible PET-probe guided surgery protocol...
- Mid-term results of cementless total hip replacement using a ceramic-on-ceramic bearing with and without computer navigationN Sugano
Department of Medical Engineering, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita 565 0871, Osaka, Japan
J Bone Joint Surg Br 89:455-60. 2007..It also reduced the rate of dislocation and mechanical problems related to impingement...
- Evaluation of different miniplates in fixation of fractured human mandible with the finite element methodHasan Husnu Korkmaz
Civil Engineering Department, Engineering and Architecture Faculty, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 103:e1-13. 2007..The results obtained from this study offer the choice of a particular plate size, thickness, design, or configuration for application and thus provide information for clinical use...
- Reduction in variability of acetabular cup abduction using computer assisted surgery: a prospective and randomized studyT Leenders
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University Hospital of Antwerp, Belgium
Comput Aided Surg 7:99-106. 2002..to position the cup, although these procedures were performed in the period after we had begun using the Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) system. The variability in cup abduction angle was assessed in all three groups and compared...
- Role of navigation in total hip arthroplastyTodd C Kelley
Department of Orthopaedics, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0212, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 91:153-8. 2009....
- [Computer assisted orthopedics surgery]E Stindel
CHU de Brest, Service d Orthopedie, traumatologie et chirurgie réparatrice, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Boulevard Tanguy Prigent, 29609 Brest Cedex
Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 93:2S11-32. 2007..We will terminate this round table with a presentation of future technological advances and propose our advice for an increasingly widespread use of these new techniques...
- Radio-guided surgery in neuroendocrine tumorsSeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care at Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
J Surg Oncol 96:309-15. 2007..Somatostatin analog radiopharmacy continues to evolve to include the development of more selective and higher affinity analogs and PET tracers. These changes are expected to open new venues for radio-guided surgery technology...
- PET probe-guided surgery: applications and clinical protocolSeza A Gulec
Center for Cancer Care at Goshen Health System, Goshen, IN, USA
World J Surg Oncol 5:65. 2007..Intraoperative localization of PET positive recurrent/metastatic lesions can be facilitated using a hand-held PET probe...
- Evaluation of component positioning in primary total hip arthroplasty using an imageless navigation device compared with traditional methodsBrian C Najarian
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan, USA
J Arthroplasty 24:15-21. 2009..Navigation provided controlled, reproducible acetabular alignment; but a learning curve existed in terms of accuracy, estimated blood loss, and operating room time...
- Optimum threshold setting for a positron-sensitive probe with background rejection capabilitySeiichi Yamamoto
Department of Electrical Engineering, Kobe City College of Technology, Japan
Ann Nucl Med 18:251-6. 2004..3 of the peak level of the pulse for the plastic scintillator and 0.7 of that for the BGO. With these threshold levels, the background counts could be decreased to less than 0.2% of the true positron counts...
- Three-dimensional computer-aided endoscopic sinus surgeryF J Uddin
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
J Laryngol Otol 117:333-9. 2003..It can augment the learning curve and enhance teaching and training in endoscopic sinus surgery but it is not a substitute for a thorough knowledge of paranasal sinus anatomy...
- Computer-assisted orthopaedic surgery: do we need CAOS?J M Sikorski
Hollywood Private Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia
J Bone Joint Surg Br 85:319-23. 2003
- Mini-incision technique for total hip arthroplasty with navigationAnthony M DiGioia
Institute for Computer Assisted Orthopaedic Surgery, The Western Pennsylvania Hospital, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15242, USA
J Arthroplasty 18:123-8. 2003..05), distance walked (P<.001), and stairs (P < 0.001). There was no significant difference between groups for pain, function, or range of motion at the 1-year follow-up examination...
- [Radiologic evaluation of cup placement variation in conventional total hip arthroplasty]U Leichtle
Orthopadische Klinik, Universitätsklinik Tübingen
Rofo 179:46-52. 2007..Determination of the amount of variation in conventional acetabular cup positioning (radiological inclination and anteversion) in view of different factors that could influence the measured angles...
- Focused ultrasound surgery of intramural leiomyomas may facilitate fertility: a case reportMiriam M F Hanstede
Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Biology, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Fertil Steril 88:497.e5-7. 2007..To describe a successful pregnancy after a change in configuration of the endometrial cavity after magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS) for leiomyomas...
- Factors affecting error in integration of electroanatomic mapping with CT and MR imaging during catheter ablation of atrial fibrillationE Kevin Heist
Cardiac Arrhythmia Service and Cardiac Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Gray 109, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA, 02114, USA
J Interv Card Electrophysiol 17:21-7. 2006..Strategies to reduce integration error may therefore be especially useful in patients with large LA volume...
- Positron detection for the intraoperative localisation of cancer depositsMorand Piert
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaningerstrasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 34:1534-44. 2007..The study investigated the feasibility of a positron-sensitive hand-held detector system for the intraoperative localisation of tumour deposits resulting from intravenous [(18)F]FDG administration...
- Computer-assisted navigation in total knee replacement: results of an initial experience in thirty-five patientsS David Stulberg
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Bone Joint Surg Am 84:90-8. 2002
- Percutaneous sonographically guided radiofrequency ablation of medium-sized fibroids: feasibility studyChiara Recaldini
Department of Radiology, University of Insubria, Viale Borri 57, 21100 Varese, Italy
AJR Am J Roentgenol 189:1303-6. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the feasibility and safety of percutaneous radiofrequency ablation under sonographic guidance as a unique procedure in the management of symptomatic uterine myomas...
- Gaze-contingent control for minimally invasive robotic surgeryGeorge P Mylonas
Department of Computing, Royal Society/Wolfson Foundation Medical Image Computing Laboratory, 180 Queen's Gate, Imperial College London, London SW7 2BZ, United Kingdom
Comput Aided Surg 11:256-66. 2006..CONCLUSION: The proposed framework presents a novel approach towards the tight integration of a human and a surgical robot where interaction in response to sensing is required to be under the control of the operating surgeon...
- Mapping techniques for atrial fibrillation ablationJasbir Sra
Aurora Sinai Medical Center, Milwaukee Campus, USA
Curr Probl Cardiol 32:669-767. 2007..Ongoing advances in mapping technique will increase safety and efficacy and it is likely that AF ablation will become the first-line therapy in most patients with this complicated arrhythmia...
- [Drilling with 3D fluoroscopic navigation in osteonecrosis of the femoral condyle]M Citak
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule, Hannover, Germany
Unfallchirurg 111:344-9. 2008..At present this is only possible with CT and MRI images. A comparative clinical trial is needed to find to what extent the success rate is improved over that achieved with conventional techniques...
- Real-time tissue tracking with B-mode ultrasound using speckle and visual servoingAlexandre Krupa
IRISA INRIA Rennes, France
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:1-8. 2007..This concept shows promise for US-guided procedures that require real-time motion tracking and compensation...
- Endoscopic navigation for minimally invasive suturingChristian Wengert
Computer Vision Laboratory, ETH Zurich, 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:620-7. 2007..Finally, a visual navigation aid can be incorporated, if a 3D surface is intraoperatively reconstructed from video or registered from preoperative imaging...
- Rotational roadmapping: a new image-based navigation technique for the interventional roomMarkus Kukuk
Siemens Medical Solutions, Forchheim, Germany
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:636-43. 2007....
- A probabilistic framework for tracking deformable soft tissue in minimally invasive surgeryPeter Mountney
Department of Computing, Imperial College, London SW7 2BZ, UK
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 10:34-41. 2007..The performance of the proposed method is evaluated with both simulated data with known ground truth, as well as in vivo video sequences recorded from robotic assisted MIS procedures...
- Computer-aided dental implant planningLeonard Spector
Spector Krupp, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 1220 E Joppa Road, Towson, MD 21286, USA
Dent Clin North Am 52:761-75, vi. 2008..Furthermore, computer-based guided implant surgery is minimally invasive and requires a shorter chair time and fewer appointments than traditional methods...
- INNOMOTION for percutaneous image-guided interventions: principles and evaluation of this MR- and CT-compatible robotic systemAndreas Melzer
Department of Medical Technology, Institute for Medical Science and Technology (IMSaT, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 27:66-73. 2008
- Integrating an image-guided robot with intraoperative MRI: a review of the design and construction of neuroArmGarnette R Sutherland
Seaman Family MR Research Centre, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Calgary, N.W Calgary, AB Canada. T2N 2T9
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 27:59-65. 2008
- Image-guidance for endoscopic sinus surgeryMarvin P Fried
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10467, USA
Laryngoscope 118:1287-92. 2008..Image-guided surgery (IGS) is a critical tool. However, its clinical validity remains controversial. A review of indications and a consensus based on literature are presented...
- Virtual reality system for planning minimally invasive neurosurgery. Technical noteAxel Thomas Stadie
Neuosurgery Clinic, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
J Neurosurg 108:382-94. 2008..The authors report on their experience with a 3D virtual reality system for planning minimally invasive neurosurgical procedures...
- [A-mode ultrasonic pointer for navigated pelvic surgery]M Oszwald
Unfallchirurgische Klinik, Medizinische Hochschule Hannover, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover
Unfallchirurg 111:162-6. 2008..Related to the conventional method, comparable and to some extent even improved precision conditions could be established...
- Magnetic resonance imaging-compatible, three-degrees-of-freedom joystick for surgical robotJuha Harja
Department of Electrical and Information Engineering, University of Oulu, Finland
Int J Med Robot 3:365-71. 2007..Currents generated by device electronics produce magnetic fields that distort MR images...
- Fast and efficient radiological interventions via a graphical user interface commanded magnetic resonance compatible robotic deviceAlpay Ozcan
Mallinkcrodt Inst of Radiol, Washington Univ Sch of Med, St Louis, MO, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:1762-7. 2006..Using the advantages of the MR modality the device saves time and effort, is safer for the medical staff and is more comfortable for the patient...
- Mathematical modeling and numerical simulation in maxillo-facial virtual surgery (VISU)Claudio Marchetti
Department of Odontostomatological Sciences, University of Bologna, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 17:661-7; discussion 668. 2006..In 80% of the cases studied, the simulation-predicted changes, when compared with the clinical outcomes, were within the tolerance level (2 mm) established by maxillo-facial surgeons...
- A new registration/visualization paradigm for CT-fluoroscopy guided RF liver ablationRuxandra Micu
Chair for Computer Aided Medical Procedures, TU Munich, Germany
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:882-90. 2006..Experiments on synthetic and real patient data and direct feedback of two interventionalists validate our alternative approach...
- [The foundations of computer assisted surgery]F Langlotz
MEM Forschungszentrum, Stauffacherstrasse 78, CH 3014 Bern, Schweiz
Orthopade 35:1032-7. 2006....
- Magnetic resonance-compatible robotic and mechatronics systems for image-guided interventions and rehabilitation: a review studyNikolaos V Tsekos
Cardiovascular Imaging Laboratory, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Annu Rev Biomed Eng 9:351-87. 2007..This paper gives an overview of the motivation, advantages, technical challenges, and existing prototypes for MR-compatible robotic/mechatronic devices...
- 3D/2D model-to-image registration applied to TIPS surgeryJulien Jomier
Kitware Inc, 28 Corporate Drive Clifton Park, New York 12065, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:662-9. 2006..Registration optimization is driven by the intensity information from the projection pairs at sample points along the centerlines of the model. Our algorithm shows speed, accuracy and consistency given clinical data...
- Robotic assisted spinal surgery--from concept to clinical practiceM Shoham
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Comput Aided Surg 12:105-15. 2007..Finally, we describe a series of preclinical trials with human cadavers, as well as clinical use, which verify the system's accuracy and efficacy...
- Computer vision guided virtual craniofacial reconstructionSuchendra M Bhandarkar
Department of Computer Science, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602 7404, USA
Comput Med Imaging Graph 31:418-27. 2007..e., the end-product of their work), before performing the actual surgical procedure. Experimental results on both phantom and real (human) patient datasets are presented...
- Design and development of a computer assisted glenoid implantation technique for shoulder replacement surgeryDuong Nguyen
Bioengineering Research Laboratory, The Hand and Upper Limb Centre, St Joseph s Health Care London, London, Ontario, Canada
Comput Aided Surg 12:152-9. 2007..The objective of this study was to develop and evaluate a Computer Assisted Glenoid Implantation (CAGI) technique to achieve a more accurate and reliable placement of the glenoid component...
- Robotic assisted radio-frequency ablation of liver tumors--randomized patient studyA Patriciu
The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv Int Conf Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:526-33. 2005..The results of this study show that in our case robotic interventions were a very viable solution. Several treatment parameters such as radiation exposures and procedure-times were found to be significantly improved in the robotic case...
- Soft-tissue motion tracking and structure estimation for robotic assisted MIS proceduresDanail Stoyanov
Royal Society Wolfson Foundation Medical Image Computing Laboratory, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London SW7 2BZ, UK
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:139-46. 2005..The practical value of the technique is demonstrated on both a deformable phantom model with tomographically derived surface geometry and in vivo robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery (MIS) image sequences...
- [Sources of error and risks in CT based navigation]M Arand
Abteilung fur Unfallchirurgie, Hand und Wiederherstellungschirurgie, Universitat Ulm, Steinhovelstrasse 9, 89075 Ulm
Orthopade 31:378-84. 2002..Further, the CT-based navigation of fractured vertebrae or unstable iliosacral joints is not safe, because dislocations between acquisition of the dataset and operation will lead to misguidance...
- Data-fusion display system with volume rendering of intraoperatively scanned CT imagesMitsuhiro Hayashibe
Institute for High Dimensional Medical Imaging, Jikei Univ School of Medicine, 4 11 1, Izumihoncho, Komae shi, Tokyo 201 8601, Japan
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:559-66. 2005..The system performance was validated in an experiment carried out in the operating room...
- High Intensity Ultrasound in GastroenterologyJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2003..It is anticipated that this work will help to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of HIFU and its potential role for other GI applications such as tumor therapy. ..
- AAOS/NIH Mulit-Year Research Symposia for 2005-2009Christopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2005..Disc Degeneration (2005), Developmental Biology and Orthopaedics (2006), Musculoskeletal Imaging and Computer Assisted Surgery (2007), Senior Sports and Aging (2008), Clinical Trials in Orthopaedics (2009)...
- A General Model of Saccadic Selectivity in Visual SearchMarc Pomplun; Fiscal Year: 2007..Moreover, the results of the study can directly be applied to improve current human-computer interfaces for computer-assisted surgery and x-ray image analysis. ..
- Software Selective Focus for Cell AnalysisGregory Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2004..even larger market in medical industrial and consumer applications: Surgical imaging used in remote and computer assisted surgery, Diagnostic imaging applications, e.g...
- Computer Assisted Surgery Prenatal Cardiac InterventionConstantinos Nikou; Fiscal Year: 2006..This technology has broad applicability to other ultrasound-guided procedures in the fetus, child, and adult. ..
- CORE SEGMENTATION TOOLS FOR COMPUTER ASSISTED SURGERYRon Kikinis; Fiscal Year: 2002..The segmentation algorithms will be enhanced and expanded, and protocols will be developed to assess their reproducibility, accuracy, and precision, based on currently accepted standard comparative measures. ..
- AAOS Multi-Year Research Symposia for 2006-2010Christopher Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..Fracture Repair: Critical Issues in Furthering our Understanding (2007), Musculoskeletal Imaging and Computer Assisted Surgery (2008), Orthopaedic Randomized Clinical Trials: Opportunities and Challenges (2009), and Musculoskeletal ..
- Clinical Validation and Testing of Percutaneous Cochlear ImplantationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Clinical Validation and Testing of Percutaneous Cochlear ImplantationRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Image-Guided Otologic SurgeryRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that this system will make ear surgery safer and more efficient. ..
- Pediatric Percutaneous Cochlear Implantation Clinical Validation & ImplementationRobert F Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Robotic MastoidectomyRobert Labadie; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that this strategy will be more efficient than either the human or robotic interventions examined in Specific Aim 2. ..
- Development of a Combined MRI-PET System for Contemporaneous Functional ImagingRAYMOND ROBERT RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..This device could be instrumental in the discovery of new drugs and methods to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of a large number of diseases. ..
- Development of a PEM-PET-CT Breast Imaging and Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND ROBERT RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE This application proposes the continued development of a dedicated breast PET-CT system. This device could be instrumental in the detection, diagnosis and treatment assessment of breast cancer. ..
- An Integrated System for Image-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver TumorsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2007..It would have a contribution to public health by developing liver cancer treatments without the need for more invasive surgeries. ..
- Developing computerized tools for cryosurgery planningYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Such visualization capabilities will provide surgeons with insights into the physics of cryosurgery that are difficult to obtain from physical experiments or surgical practice. ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Robotically Assisted Mouse InterventionsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2007..3. Perform a feasibility study using 10 mice to demonstrate the ability of the robot to biopsy the mouse flank as selected on the MRI images and evaluate the accuracy of the system. ..
- An Integrated System for Image-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Liver TumorsKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009..It would have a contribution to public health by developing liver cancer treatments without the need for more invasive surgeries. ..
- Developing a Computerized Training Tool for CryosurgeryYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2010..Development of this training tool is directed toward shortening the learning curve for cryosurgeons by performing virtual cryosurgery cases, and enabling reevaluation of past clinical cases. ..
- Development of a PEM-PET-CT Breast Imaging and Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE This application proposes the continued development of a dedicated breast PET-CT system. This device could be instrumental in the detection, diagnosis and treatment assessment of breast cancer. ..
- Continued Development for The Image-guided Surgical Toolkit Project (IGSTK)Kevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Computer Surgical Simulation for Craniofacial SurgeryJames Xia; Fiscal Year: 2007..In the United States each year, a significant number of patients undergo reconstructive surgery for these types of defects and deformities. ..
- A Beta-Sensitive Probe System for Use in EndoscopyRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- OR2020 Workshop: Operating Room of the FutureKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2004..The workshop is currently scheduled to be held from April 16-17, 2004, at Turf Valley Conference Center in Ellicot City, Maryland. ..
- Thermo mechanical stress in cryopreserved blood vesselsYoed Rabin; Fiscal Year: 2006..Although the experimental work in this study is targeted to blood vessels, the results of this study could be expanded and become useful for a wide variety of cryopreserved natural tissues and engineered constructs. ..
- A Positron Emission Mammography/Tomography Biopsy DeviceRAYMOND RAYLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..At the completion of this project an apparatus for the effective detection and diagnosis of lesions for use in the subgroup of women with difficult to image breasts will have been developed and evaluated. ..
- CT fluoroscopy guided robotically assisted lung biopsyKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..The system will be validated in phantom and animal studies. The R33 phase will result in a system that is ready for clinical trials. ..
- Software Toolkit for Image Guided SurgeryKevin Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dissemination activities will be undertaken with the aim of fostering the use of the toolkit in research and clinical applications. ..
- Steering Flexible Needles in Soft TissueALLISON MARIKO OKAMURA; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- RETROSPECTIVE IMAGE REGISTRATION EVALUATIONJ Fitzpatrick; Fiscal Year: 2003..The objective assessment provided by this project should foster improvement of the accuracy of retrospective registration techniques. ..
- IMPROVING TREATMENT OUTCOMES FOR PATIENTS WITH FACIAL DEFORMITY USING 3D IMAGINGLucia Cevidanes; Fiscal Year: 2007..Involvement in these studies will enhance the candidate's prior training in cranio-maxillofacial problems and 3D imaging, while equipping her with tools to perform meaningful studies centered around patient oriented clinical research. ..
- MR-Image Guided Focused Ultrasound for Treatment of Liver and Renal CancerKIM PAULY; Fiscal Year: 2009..The work proposed here addresses these challenges and if successful, will represent a major advance in the non-invasive treatment of cancer. ..
- Signaling Pathways in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- HIGH SPEED GRADIENT DRIVER UPGRADE FOR IMRI SCANNERR Butts; Fiscal Year: 2001..This upgrade will allow us to bring all applications into the real-time regime which is absolutely critical for interventional procedures. ..
- Ultrasound induced vessel thrombosis for treatment of Gastric varicesJOO HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..This method can be translated to a clinically useful approach for the treatment of gastric varices with the development of an endoscopic-based ultrasound transducer ..
- Regulating Neuroendocrine Phenotype in CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, these finding may permit development of components of raf-1 pathway as therapeutic targets in the treatment and palliation of NE tumors. ..
- Phase II Clinical Trial Utilizing Lithium for Patients with Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Besides surgery, there are limited curative and palliative treatments available to patients with metastatic NE tumors, emphasizing the need for development of other forms of therapy. ..
- IMRI METHODS FOR CANCER DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENTR Butts; Fiscal Year: 2005..These improvements are the key to overcoming the barriers to the use of MR temperature imaging for guiding thermal therapies. ..
- Novel Signaling Targets in GI Neuroendocrine TumorsHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The possibility that raf-l-mediated hormone suppression could be induced by a soluble factor would provide a plausible, therapeutic delivery method. ..
- Quantification of Tumor Malignancy with MRIMeng Law; Fiscal Year: 2006..Molecular studies will be assessed by loss of heterozygosity using PCR. DNA will be extracted from paraffin curls of brain section and nail clippings and the following primers will be used: 1. D1S1592; 2. D19S219, D19S412. ..